• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Jun 14, 2013
9.1

1. Sep 12, 2013
    Yeah it's a 10. This game will really put you through it. The characters are best that I've ever come across in a video game and it isn't even close. The world design is brilliant and exactly what I would imagine in a post human environment. The story is also top notch and the developers really put their own unique stamp on the genre it really did seem plausible. The Uncharted games were more lighthearted and fun (and also super great) but the Last of Us really reaches another level of immersion and gritty realism that I didn't think was possible with video games. It's something you just have to experience.

Naughty Dog is head and shoulders above other game design companies and I can't wait to see what they do for PS4. I will buy all of their games for years to come.
  2. Feb 15, 2014
    Best Game of 2013. Gameplay, story, graphics, characters design... every single thing.
    The only thing i didnt like of it was its soundtrack, pretty lame work by Santaolalla, as always.
  3. Jul 5, 2013
    This game singlehandedly glued me back to my PS3. So far, the great games of 2013 like Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite found its way into my Steam library on my PC, but exclusives like The Last of Us is what keeps me going back to my PS3. This new release from Naughty Dog features mind-blowing graphics that somehow took advantage of the PS3’s dated hardware and provides smooth performance and framerates without any screen tearing. The storytelling and characters was done so freakin’ perfectly, I don’t even know where to start. Some characters, like Ellie, I just adored, while I truly despised the military and the hunters. More importantly, the actual relationships that develop between characters left me captivated with Naughty Dog’s ability to portray characters reacting and cooperating with one another during moments of extreme crisis. At no point throughout the entire 15+ hour campaign did my interest in the characters diminish. In fact, the pacing of the story was so flawless, I actually grew more and more interested in the characters as I progressed further into the game. The voice acting had the quality of a high budget Hollywood film, and cut scenes featured lifelike animations, giving me the impression that I was watching a movie. I’m not sure if The Last of Us has the best story *ever* in a video game. CD Projekt’s The Witcher franchise or Bioware’s Mass Effect series have impressed me more with their incredible background stories and game worlds, but no game can compete with The Last of Us’ cinematic presentation of its story and character development.

The Last of Us features a hybrid formula of gameplay with new creative ideas in addition to some old gaming elements that I’ve missed from classic games. In The Last of Us, you won’t regenerate your health over time like you normally would in other shooting games, and the various gadgets that you can craft allows you to use your imagination when engaging a group of hostiles. You could stealth kill a couple enemies, bait the rest into a confined area from the sound of a tossed bottle and have a nail bomb waiting to greet them. Or perhaps you’re low on supplies and will have to manage by tossing that bottle at an enemy and race towards your dazed target to use him as a human shield while gunning down the rest of your foes. The Last of Us offers incredible replay value with its new game plus feature. There are around 10 upgradable weapons, 7 different skills and a dozen training manuals that carry over into NG+. You’ll feel like a juggernaut once everything’s maxed out and will have a ton of fun adventuring through future playthroughs with all your previous equipment and collectibles. The Last of Us features the best gameplay Naughty Dog has offered yet.

Naughty Dog has no limits when it comes to creativity. The Last of Us will have other developers quaking at the prospect to match the quality of this masterpiece. I had very high and unrealistic expectations for this new release, and I *still* got what I expected and more. The Last of Us induced emotional reactions from me that few Hollywood movies have accomplished. The Witcher 2 will most likely remain as my favorite game of all time, but I’ve never been immersed into a video game this much since The Witcher 2’s release back in mid-2011. From a climactic cut scene making me shed a tear to laughing at Ellie’s silly joke book, The Last of Us has given me an unforgettable gaming experience and won me over for game of the year for 2013. This was, by far, the most gratifying 60 dollars I’ve spent in a long, long time.
  4. Aug 21, 2013
    The Last of Us is a REALLY difficult game to review. On one hand, it has hands down the best story, characterizations and acting I've ever come across in a game. It even puts the likes of Telltale's The Walking Dead to shame. The game makes you feel sad and angry at all the right moments. It is absolutely perfect in that regard and a new benchmark for gaming. That said, gameplay wise, The Last of Us often treads uneven ground. The game is very repetitive. You enter an area, kill or sneak past a finite amount of enemies and then escape that area via a ladder wheely bin garage door floating pallet. Then you enter the next area and do exactly the same. Aside from aesthetic changes, there is almost no deviation in this routine. Why Joel and Ellie can seemingly always find a ladder or pallet whenever they need one is quite the mystery indeed. It kind of reminds me of the old Adam west Batman TV show, where the Bats had a repellent for every known situation ever developed (shark repellent bear repellent heterosexual repellent... etc). The sheer stupidity of that mechanic broke immersion many, many times. The combat is decent enough. The human enemy A.I is nice, with lots of flanking and cover tactics being employed. The stealthy monster takedowns feel very gamey and arena based but they're OK too. The difficulty can be pretty harsh at times. This was a game that I had to repeat many different sections of. It can get frustrating because the checkpoint system sends you right back to the start of the 'arena' you're in, sometimes deleting a fair amount of hard-fought progress. Overall, The Last of Us was a very memorable experience. There was far too much stupidity and frustration in the gameplay for it to be perfect but that story... Wow! Expand
  5. Jun 22, 2013
    Truly a masterpiece. Great single player mode and fantastic online mode.Online mode is so good its addictive.What a way to end the ps3 with a last exclusive.I can see why all critics are giving this game a glowing review.Absolutely wonderful.
  6. Jul 26, 2013
    A masterpiece that redefines what games can accomplish at multiple levels. Excelent storytelling, great mechanics, addictive gameplay and technically the most advanced current gen game.
  7. Jun 21, 2013
    This game is unrivaled in everything it succeeds at... which is everything that it does. Undoubtedly one of the greatest games of this (or any) generation. The PS3's swan song is a testament to what games have become; story-driven epics that bring out all human emotion.

The Last of Us is truly a masterpiece and anyone who says otherwise is fooling themselves.
  8. Jul 7, 2013
    Any title as well reviewed as the Last of Us will always be a target for people looking for attention. All I can say is ignore them because this is undoubtedly one of the games of the current console generation.

Anything this ambitious will of course have a few minor flaws (the most noticeable being the odd occasion in which your companion stands out in the open and doesn’t get seen)
    but these are easy to ignore thanks to the virtually perfect mix of cinematic storytelling and superbly tense gameplay that kept me enthralled for the entire 17 hours it took me to complete it. If you don’t own a PS3 there is no better reason to buy one than The Last of Us. Expand
  9. Sep 29, 2013
    The Last Of Us is an amazing game with an amazing graphics and a great story. The characters are great, I really fell in love with Ellie and this was actually the first game I cried during the game :D. So, the story is great, graphics are great, characters are great, but when it comes to the gameplay, it was nothing special, it was okay, but it was not smooth enough for my taste. The game is amazing, but it's a game so for me the gameplay is the most important thing and that's why I can't give it 10/10, but I'm really looking forward what kind of masterpiece ND will make for PS4, and if they make TLOU 2 with better graphics, it will probably get 10/10 from me. Expand
  10. Sep 12, 2013
    One of the best games of all time, definitely in Top 10 at least. I bought my PS3 for this game (and with the added bonus of other great games of course).
  11. Feb 28, 2014
    This is an Epic survival zombie game with a great story that takes place in a post-apocalyptic world with nice detailed scenery. The stealthing is smooth and gun (or bow!) -slinging feels proper. I really like that there is a natural dialogue between the characters as you play through the game. It has a good gameplay design, but one thing I didn't like about it is that you upgrade your weapons. I have grown a bit tired of all the unlocks and leveling up in games these days, but its a minor detail here. Playing this title is an experience and it is one of my favourite games of ALL times! Expand
  12. Jun 19, 2013
    I am speechless, absolutely flawless. What an experience! This is some milestone type of game for the video game industry right there. Naughty Dog really over got over themselves. Imagine what they can do with the Playstation 4, can't wait!
  13. Nov 8, 2013
    One of the best games ever from a story and character development standpoint. People saying this is just a movie? Sure it has 3 hours of cut-scenes, but 10-13 hours of gameplay. This story is so gripping, no other game has made you feel so attached to the characters. This is a masterpiece.
  14. Sep 11, 2013
    The Last of Us can easily be, in my opinion, the best PS3 game that Sony has ever released. Naughty Dog's contribution to this gen console is above and beyond your basic third person action game. The world they've created with the Last of Us is believable as well as tense. Within the first five minutes you feel for Joel as this pandemic hits him especially hard and the game uses the moment to tug at your emotions to where you want to put yourself in its place. The game is taut, filled with suspense, and makes you think of what people will actually do to survive day by day and you ask yourself, what if this was me. If you haven't played this game yet you are missing out on one of the best experiences that the PlayStation 3 has to offer. If you do not have a PS3 then buy one, because this game will not let you down. Expand
  15. Dec 30, 2013
    We are now within the final years of the PS3, and Naughty Dog decided to make them the finest. It's like they took "Uncharted", "Resistance" and "Heavy Rain" together, and made what we call "The Last of Us". I'm no fan of horror games, so I don't know how their supposed to be in general, but to me this game was very scary. The stealth sections just intensify that fear; so much that I feel like going guns blazing to get over it. And while you can go gun blazing, it has its costs: you put yourself and other allies at greater risk, and you end up wasting ammo. Speaking of ammo, you really must conserve as you can't carry much, and finding ammo is rare. And when you do find it, it's not much. So use your guns as a FINAL RESORT. And no rechargeable health here either; it's back to finding medkits. And even though you can carry medkits, using them will leave you vulnerable.

Now onto the story. It is one of the greatest and most personal stories ever written. This isn't about the disease, or mankind. It's about Joel and Ellie. They are very human and you'll want to see how their relationship develops over the course of the story. Not spoiling anything, but let's just say that there are times that will make you say, "Would I have done that?"

As for online, it's quite fun. You really need teamwork. And no gun-blazing or rechargeable health either. Leave you Call of Duty attitude at the door, and you'll do well.

Games like these tell us not to abandon the PS3 yet. And if you don't have a PS3, now is the time. So what if it's 7 years old? That just means you have seven years worth of epic games in its library, and "The Last of Us" is one of them.
  16. Jul 14, 2013
    This is a damn good movie, err--- I mean game... The Last of Us has knocked the graphics section out of the park, and although the gameplay isn't too exciting to watch; when you actually play it, it feels surprisingly accurate and refined (for a videogame, that is.) The game is partially flawed however, introducing us to (very) bad characters and a movie-like setup, but it can be forgiven as the writers try to show what standards have to be set in such a world their characters are living it. It's not out of the question that this has me feeling just how to well this game was designed and set up (overall). It really is worth your time, go for it! Expand
  17. Feb 13, 2014
    The Last of Us is an achievement in gaming, not just in 2013, but all time. It is also a perfect way to bookend this generation of gaming. The Last of Us has one of the most engaging story I have ever experienced in a game. Not because its really original, but because how well executed it is. From the voice acting, motion capture, score, to the beautiful graphics, it all pulls you in right from the first shot. Game-play-wise it is a strategic stealth/action game that has some of the most brutal action I've seen in any form of entertainment. If you own a PS3 you need to play The Last of Us. You owe it to yourself to play the PS3's crowning jewel! Expand
  18. Jul 2, 2013
    Before the release of The Last of Us, Naughty Dog expressed their focus with the game: Narrative and emotion. These two things are arguably the weakest overall aspects of games on the market, and this issue has been addressed and the bar set. The characters are full of depth and realism, and you deeply care for them by the end. You are emotionally connected to these characters. When a person is emotionally invested in something, every aspect about it is highlighted or emphasized in some way. The gameplay is slow, but perfect. Combat is brutal and heavy. Every shot, punch, and swing of the bat feels satisfying. The stealth is largely basic, but any other editions would have felt contrived. The multiplayer is amazing as well. Similar in pace to the singleplayer, small teams allow for strategic play and refreshing competitive competition. You'll be hoping that the future DLC will add on to the somewhat slim experience. For some time now, many others have tried to do what Naughty Dog has done, but have failed. They've sacrificed interesting gameplay for a strong narrative. These games are not balanced, and split their audience. The Last of Us hits this balance perfectly. It's refreshing to see a game succeed in every objective it set out to do. You won't forget this classic game anytime soon. One of the generation's greats. Expand
  19. Sep 21, 2013
    One of the best games available for the PS3. Big on story that draws you in. I expected a Resident Evil type of gameplay taking down hoards of undead but you actually wind up killing about 50x more people. It's a bit depressing, as almost every human encounter turns for the worse having humanity show it's dark side. It does make the story all the more compelling however. It will have you on the edge of your seat all the way through. I thought I knew how the game would end, but I was surprised. Completed the game in ~14 hours. Expand
  20. Jul 27, 2013
    Whilst some may find the 10/10 surrounding thus game hyperbole, and they are in some ways correct it is still very deserving of its 10 nonetheless. There are hundreds of other user reviews on here but what I want to deliver is my critique of the game and what despite this being a masterpiece could have had significant improvement.

So The Last Of Us at first appears a typical
    post-apocalyptic zombie story with all the tropes to prove it, burning buildings, panic and quarantine zones. But at the heart of the story is something more profound a story that in its trope filled plot has a deeper vein that tells an altogether more important story than anything before it in this medium. It is a narrative that from its first 15 minute intro engrosses the player into the game and has you controlling events that would usually be relegated to the work of only the CG. These 15 minutes are poignant, poetic and thought provoking just as the final 15 minutes of the game are too this story is about humanity's decline from what once was and most of all the relationships that form in these situations, those who have never known anything outside of this 'dying' world. Though the word 'dying' might not quite fit. Building structures appear heavily damaged cars ravaged by nature and yet without spoiling the plot nature continues to live on past the remnants of humanity's previous luxuries.

But whilst the story does all these things there are certain immersion breaking moments that can take you completely out of it in gameplay. The gameplay can at times feel frustrating with the occasional check point that spawns you right in the middle of combat being shot at or the loud footsteps of Ellie as you stealth kill a clicker. Whilst these aren't completely game breaking they are issues that could have been addressed. Of course the gameplay for the most part has some of the best survival gameplay of any game so far and there are certain areas in the game that are scarier than the last 3 RE games. This is survival as you craft together the items you need in real time, change weapons in real time and bandage yourself up in real time. The real time (seeing how many times I can say it in a couple of sentences!) elements are extremely effective and give a sense of panic as your pistol runs out of ammo and you need to switch gun but the enemy is coming straight at you, it means deep, tactical combat both in multiplayer and in single player as you find the right time to craft items or change weapons for certain situations.

Another issue for some might be the pacing. The game is split into chapters which are then split into 4 distinct sections Autumn, Winter, Spring and Summer. However the first section of the game is undoubtedly the slowest. It starts off at an extremely fast pace with many plot elements but towards the middle of this initial section it might feel too slow for some despite being at a nice steady pace which allows for characterisation and development. From here on in the game picks up the pace in more short and distinct sections that allow the player to still explore but also throws in more unique situations for the player to deal with.

Finally the AI from the game is a bit strange because although for the most part it is seemingly quite intelligent there are certain parts of the game where you will wonder why the AI performs a specific action, though these are rare they can be frustrating to see. Although hardly happening to me the friendly AI occasionally shot in sections when I wanted to stealth the enemies and it lead to disaster in a situation that could altogether have been avoided. Although again there was only two occurrences with this it is worth noting still. Also enemies will occasionally see a body and not even question its presence there and at other times are so smart they can deduct your position like they are using a GPS.

In conclusion the Last Of Us then is a Masterpiece but not one without some issues as Uncharted, Mass Effect, Ocarina of time and other greats are not without their issues, The Last Of Us stands as one of the best games of the last 7 years (this console generation) and deserves its time at the top of the charts and its critical acclaim. It is a game which undoubtedly cements Naughty Dog as one of the best AAA development houses in the world, and one of the biggest assets Sony has acquired in the last decade.

Gameplay 9.6
    Sound 10
    Story/Plot: 10
    Lasting Appeal: 10
    Presentation: 10

Overall: 10/10 Masterpiece, If you have a PS3 you owe it to yourself to try this out even if it isn't your cup of tea!
  21. Jun 21, 2013
    "The Last of Us" is a crowning masterpiece. Some of the most incredible story telling I've ever seen. Unlike anything I've ever experienced in a video game. With a "No Country For Old Men" & "I Am Legend" like feel to it, but mostly something entirely of it's own. With this post apocalyptic setting, you will travel with Joel & Ellie through one hell of a crazy, intense & emotional journey, as these two characters fight & struggle to survive this impossible, terrifying world, and will build, over time, a stronger bond together because of it. You have NEVER experienced anything like this before. Trust me. If you have a PlayStation 3 The Last of Us must NOT be missed. Hell, if you don't have a PS3 already BUY a PS3 just for this game. That's money you won't regret spending, and THAT is a guarantee. Expand
  22. Jul 1, 2013
    Purchased the game on the release date. Played through the single player story on Hard difficulty. It took me 21 hours to complete. Played about 2 hours of multiplayer. My impressions: Story is fantastic. The character development is very good and I liked how the world was fleshed out via optional conversations, newspaper clippings, notes and other artifacts. The graphics are incredible and probably the best I've seen on PS3. (I saw one review compare this to the PC, which is a stupid and meaningless comparison since the hardware is not comparable).
    The controls are tight, although it took me some time to get accustomed since I don't play many 3rd person games (only played Uncharted 1 for Naughty Dog games).
    Sound is great, with well-suited music that sets the right tone and some scary effects from the infected.
    The gameplay is somewhat limited to the stealth mechanic, although you do gunfight with bandits and use a cover system. I like the stealth mechanic and the listen mode, which allows you to listen and then see enemies through walls.

Multiplayer:
    It's a pretty different experience. Teamwork and stealth are important. There is some decent depth in terms of perk upgrades and weapons. It's 4 v 4 so it's pretty important to work together and it can be tough with strangers who don't mesh. I liked it quite a bit but I am still learning to craft items (like in the single player) and move with strategy.

I've read some other comments and some thing I do agree with:
    Once you've completed the single player you may not want to play again since the story is known. There is a Survivor difficulty which takes away the listen mode and a New Game which still allows you to keep weapon and ability upgrades. There are also collectibles to find, some of which enhance your abilities. I looked as much as possible but missed quite a bit. At the Hard difficulty I had to replay much but I think 15-20 hours is probably normal time.

The mulitplayer is good, but I'm not sure I'm into it enough to play it for a very long time (i.e. 20+ hours). Still a good amount of content though.There is also DLC coming (for both single and multiplayer) if you are into that.

I guess this could be the only criticism that there is somewhat limited replay value but it is there and there are trophies for completionists. I would consider reasonable scores to be 7 -10, anything lower I think is unreasonable but you can decide for yourself.

One last point this game does use an online pass so used sales will probably not have multiplayer access.
  23. Jun 16, 2013
    Ok, I like this game but it wasn't what I was expecting. It's a great story, great atmosphere, sound effects, music, etc. The shooting mechanics are very clunky which makes shooting difficult (for me at least). I was expecting a game more focused on gameplay rather than story and atmosphere. I thought it would have a lot of platforming and puzzles but it hardly has any. And anyone that wrote a review here that said that graphics are good, hasn't actually played the game because the graphics are absolute garbage, for any developers standards, let alone ND which is supposed to be the best in the biz when it comes to graphics. The design of the levels are really good, but it looks terrible. I was really upset with this game because I have been looking forward to it for so long. It still gets an 8 because despite the issues I mentioned, its still a great game my expectations were just too high... oh yeah, multiplayer is garbage too but at least they have round based, non respawn Expand
  24. Jun 24, 2013
    I only played some of the story mode but so far it's great. I mean there are flawed moments. How can every story be perfect? I say this is almost perfect and as for multiplayer. I'll say it's like anything I've played so far. Sure it's another shooter but the the whole crafting thing makes it fun and the upgrades on the spot adds a spice to it. I've been playing more of the multiplayer but don't get me wrong, the story mode is already epic. In the beginning of it, right off the bat, it's awesome. Naughty Dog has done it again! Expand
  25. Xon
    Mar 16, 2014
    Truly an extraordinary game. An incredible work of art. The game might falter here and there, but this doesn't detract from a game that sets out - and achieves - to create an immaculately immersive world with characters that have real presence who elicit an emotional response. I wish there were more games like this, but it is "one of a kind".
  26. Jun 21, 2013
    Excellent gaming experience, and I hope they don't explore Ellie's and Joel's relationship in any post ending DLC because the ending was phenomenal. Very slight texture problems in the distance but I don't blame Naughty Dog its still beautiful
  27. Jul 20, 2013
    Ok where to begin! The story line is pretty awesome, my only complain was the ending (not going to give any spoilers) I personally did not fully agree with how the game ended but it makes sense overall so its not going to affect the score. I played through the game fully twice on Hard and Survivor and both times were equally as fun which is very rare to find in a game but as with Uncharted, Naughty Dog hit it out of the park. Now to the reason I didn't give it a perfect 10. While I do think the multiplayer has fun and great potential to be great I expected a "horde" mode or some sorta infected/zombie related situation but there is nothing. This pretty much defeats a large portion of the game's focus which is this out break. Beyond that the game was fantastic in almost every way I could imagine possible! Expand
  28. Jun 20, 2013
    Naughty dog has outdone themselves again. The story draws you in to loving characters based on how human their flaws are and has a distinct Cohen brothers style of ending that makes you think about the characters and how nuanced they are. All of this is built on top of a sturdy foundation of stealth gameplay and a great leveling system. It's broken into 4 chapters that all have the emotional impact to stand on their own. Expand
  29. Sep 17, 2013
    This is the best game i have ever played. The story and characters are simply sensational. The relationship between Joel and Ellie is simply amazing and is on another level compared to other games. The story is gripping and makes you so emotionally involved. I cried about 7 times throughout this game because it simply made me care for everyone in the game. The gameplay is absolutely solid and fits the game perfectly. This is the best game of this generation and naughty dog have set a very high standard that i think will be near impossible to match Expand
  30. Jun 20, 2013
    The Last of Us is the best game on the PS3, and one of the best games I have ever played. The gameplay is unique/challenging, the characters are lovable and the story is poignant. While the game is violent, it's never gratuitous out of the blue, the violence makes sense in the world Naughty Dog created.

The gameplay practically requires treading carefully through levels. This is
    something I love in games. This, coupled with limited ammo/health while throwing in a slew of infected enemies, provides a genuinely nerve racking experience. If you got shot, you feel Joel's pain. When you have 3 bullets and numerous enemies surrounding your position, you have to out-think/out-maneuver the enemies by using the environment to your advantage.

The graphics are superb. It's the best looking game on PS3 no question about it. The Sound is amazing as well, from the music to the enemies, everything is top notch. One of the infected, aptly known as "Clickers" use echolocation to hunt humans. While they are blind, their keen sense of sound allows them to track your location with the slightest movement. When this happens, they make a terrifying clicking sound to alert other infected nearby. It is genuinely terrifying when this happens.

All in all, it is a terrific game that I would recommend to most people. With that said, this game isn't for everyone. For one, if you like action adventure games where you are supplied with countless weapons, armor and ammo, The Last of Us isn't for you. If you are offended by mature violence, themes and language, The Last of Us isn't for. If however, you can handle the mature themes, this game is a MUST PLAY. It's a Masterpiece, plain and simple.
  31. Apr 5, 2014
    The Last of Us is a gorgeous and thrilling game with a superb story and great game mechanics. The graphics are stunning and the characters are very memorable and unique. In terms of gameplay mechanics, it plays like Uncharted without a cover system or a climbing system and much more brutal melee mechanics. It also has a superb multiplayer mode and a New Game+ mode to keep you playing after you finish the 12+ hour campaign. If you have a PS3, you MUST buy this game. Expand
  32. Jan 16, 2014
    This game is great. It's enjoyable, has a fantastic storyline, and is packed full of emotion and grit.
    The ingame relationship between Joel and Ellie is well made, and shows how they fight for survival against the frightning zombies.While the game does offer some new groundbreaking features, it can get a little bit repetitive.

The enemies are really well made. Everything from the
    bandits to the zombies look and feel real. During the Clicker scenes, you can't help feeling scared while you're crawling along the floor with clicking in your ear. The game is very emotional, and all the cutscenes are amazing.

But this game does have some cons. As mentioned by some people, enemies do not react to your team mates (Ellie for example). Especially with Bill, he runs like a bloody elephant, and nothing detects him. But if you screw up one tiny bit, the Clickers'll get you. Also, the shooting mechanics are a bit frustrating. To veteran PS3 players, it's a walk in the park, but me (who is new to consoles), it is difficult aiming a pistol.

(Kudos to the people who designed, animated and created the Clickers. Those are some funky as enemies, and one of the greatest zombie types of all time.)

Regarding crafting, what can I say? You scavenge parts and use them to craft items, upgrade your weapons and make Joel be able to shoot faster etc. There is a lot of loot lying around, and you can't be too picky in this time of apocalypse...

All I can say is, get this game. It is an emotional rollercoaster!
  33. Jul 17, 2013
    Not playing this game any more makes me sad. It's one of those, like when House finished. It's all
    About the characters, you really care about them. Compared to PC gaming the graphics aren't amazing (needs a little anti aliasing) but it's so beautiful. Makes me want to live in post zombie apocalypse America.
  34. Jun 21, 2013
    I give this game an 8.5!

It's a great game, with a production value that stands among the greats of this generation! The dialogue and voice acting are absolutely amazing, though I would have liked a tiny bit more diversity with the dialogue choices you make a la Mass Effect. That would have been the cherry on the cake.

Gameplay-wise, that's where the game lost a few points for me.
    The gameplay mechanic is very well done and I like that you can upgrade your character's skills and weapons. But the level design is somewhat bland, for the exception of a couple of chapters that stands out! The puzzles, if they are considered puzzles, are absolute no brainers, which is a shame for this type of game. The combat is also very unbalanced, in my opinion. I don't like the fact that the clickers and bloaters can one-hit kill you! Being one shot is not a fun gameplay design! It never is, in any game! Yes I know you can upgrade your shiv to be able to counter the clickers' grapple, but it should have been by default anyway, knowing that you can only carry 3 breakable shivs at anytime anyway! Also, I don't like the fact that it takes 3-4-5 bullets/arrows to take down a human enemy! I mean, the game tries it's best to look as realistic as possible, but man if I snipe a guy in the head, he should die, even if he has a freaking helmet on or not! If I shoot you with a shotgun point blank, you die, Kevlar vest or not! If I impale you with an arrow, you are not in top shape condition to fight afterwards, you are either very wounded or dying! Even on higher difficulty levels, it should not take more bullets than it realistically needs to kill a non super-human in a game! What should change in a higher difficulty is the amount of damage you can take though and the enemy AI should become smarter. That's a mistake so many games make and it would make the game's battles much more interesting, especially since one hit stealth kills are so important in this game. I don't see why ranged battles should be any different.

The music does an awesome job at setting the mood right at any situation. And the sound effects are top notch.

Multiplayer is also a cool addition, though not necessary to enjoy the game! The meat of the game definitely resides in it's single player mode.

Overall, The Last of Us is great game, if not one of the best this year, but I do not believe it deserves all the praise it has been given by the press. It has its flaws and some gameplay hiccups that keep it from achieving greatness.
  35. Jul 12, 2013
    I entered the game with mixed feelings as I mostly just enjoy multiplayer competitive games and not single player mode. The game is a must have for any ps3 owner. Somehow it just captures the emotions and struggles faced by the two main characters as well as the others you have quick encounters with. Most games fail in this regard where I do not care even a bit about their past and just want to skip the dialogue to finish the game.

This game makes you afraid of pressing the skip button by accident. Seriously.

*Note have not played the multiplayer
  36. Nov 5, 2013
    I play computer games less and less these days so games have to be truly good for me to fully complete them. The last of us is one of those games, fantastic graphics, gripping story line and natural game play. It is everything resident evil 6 should have been. Hopefully this is the future of computer games.
  37. Aug 4, 2013
    simply a wonderful game to end the generation. The characters are well developed, the world that has been created is interesting and bleak, the combat is intense and enjoyable and the overall tone and emotion of the game is something that is completely unique. There are moments within this game that truly must be experienced. it is a shame it is on only on the playstation as every deserves to play this wonderful game. Expand
  38. Jun 22, 2013
    A literal masterpiece. I've never had a video game make me experience emotions like this. I literally shed tears in the first 15 minutes of the game. Simply amazing.
  39. Jun 19, 2013
    This game is very detailed it's outstanding. You have to play the game correctly (something Tom Chick at quarter to three obviously didn't do) which means intelligently. Sometimes you will have no choice but to stealth around the enemy with a solid stealth system and at other times stealth isn't an option and you have to smartly use every resource available to survive encounters. The game isn't hard if your smart about encounters with enemys, it can be repetitive but it firmly sets it in reality. One section of the game see's you getting a car, another see's you escaping a city, they're all sensible goals which ground the last of us in reality. The story is sweet and touching but the ending took me a while of thinking to properly appreciate it.

But I would be lying if I didn't say the highlights of the last of us are in the story and fighting. The true highlight is exploring the world, some people say the last of us is very linear but the areas you can explore are big and full of hidden rooms and areas with loads of detail. At one point you have to walk down a street but you can enter two of the houses with multiple floors and rooms that feel lived in. I found a note from a 12 year old who over heard his parents speaking about family deaths and had to release his dog into the wild. it was sweet and when I walked downstairs I found Ellie and one of our companions playing darts and talking. It was a touching moment and the game is full of loads of moments like this as long as you look for it. If you run straight through you'll run out of ammo, die regulary, and finish the game to soon and call the game overhyped.

Overall 10/10 this game is special and extremly well made, you need to play this game to experience it
  40. Nov 5, 2013
    Do you want to play a game where your jaw drops every single time you enter a room? Where each moment of gameplay is exciting and terrifying? Where the story drives it so hard that you can't stop playing no matter the circumstances? The Last of Us delivers on all fronts, a driven story and game from beginning to end. Buy this. Never look back. Only play the story from beginning to the gut wrenching final moments. Expand
  41. Jul 8, 2013
    Almost 100% total awesome.

Just the random gun play and Ellie running all over the shop when you're sneaking lets it down.

Here's to 150 characters.
  42. Aug 19, 2013
    Bitter sweet. Fantastic game and the plot accurately depicts how a situation such as this would conclude. Hey besides the phenomenal story there's a FPS mode online. That's pretty fun. Reminds me of Gears of War. Overall not the best game in the world, but it was up there. 9.5/10
  43. Aug 9, 2013
    Abandon hope all ye who shall enter here!! That's certainly the theme here and as I'm concerned,its a good thing! The Last Of Us is made by the very talented team known as Naughty Dog and if your familiar with the uncharted series,you would only expect the best when it came storytelling and they DO NOT disappoint! So lets start off with the good points of this game shall we! Graphics: Incredible!! Naughty Dog pushes the ps3 to its limits,even out doing uncharted 3 with detailed area's beautiful water and smoke effects,fires,ruined buildings etc!! Sound: its average at best until you reach the clickers,their odd sounds will surely be unsettling when you enter dark rooms or new area's. Game mechanics: average at best,controls are tight and responsive and the duck and cover mechanic is very similar to the uncharted series right down to the hand to hand combat but certain weapons like bats, 2 x 4's and shiv's make the fighting a tad more interesting. Story: again its a average at best as its your standard run of the mill zombie apocalypse story where your character must fight to survive who then,meets someone who's immune to the virus and must now create cure to save humanity....the last of us almost never treads new ground as many games and movie's has all too often shown us the dangers of a zombie apocalypse,so why is the last of us worth playing if my review sounds kinda negative save for the graphics? Easy, Joel and ellie!! Although they follow your typical, guy who lost his daughter and refuses to love another child/ ellie,who's your spunky yet average stereotype foul mouth lovable teen, I found it hard NOT to like them as they struggled to form a working relationship. This is where naughty dog took an average,by the numbers story and somehow turn it into a masterpiece! Now the bad points: Enemies: 100% of the time the enemies WILL NOT ATTACK whoever your with if they don't see you first!! It sucks the "survival" aspect and belief right out of game and the player along with it for that matter which ruins the experience. Shiv's can only be used once(or three times if you have three) which i find odd,if you kill a clicker with a shiv( best option people) it magically disappears even when using it too unlock special doors filled with precious resources,but i guess they didn't want players spamming it.Ammo: while its not ABUNDANT its more than enough to get by on since joel has many weapons to use to dispatch his would be dispatchers like the bow,shotgun,sniper rifle,sawed off shotgun and about three hand guns,couple that with the (preferred)option of stealth kills and your basically a god until you play with ellie who gets far less ammo and weapons. Other than those complaints,this average game goes far beyond the limits of other zombies apocalypse games and delivers something truly special. Pick this game up and add it to the list of impressive games that's exclusive to the ps3's library,you won't regret it! 9 out of 10 Expand
  44. Dec 8, 2013
    Very good game by a very good game company the story is great and the gameplay doesn't disappoint. It is terrific. You can't say enough about the game. It is as good as it gets.
  45. Oct 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. best game ever, this is playstation 3 best game, naughty dog is reaaly good in making games, just like the uncharted series, joel and eliie make a really good team on his adventure, the game have some moments that are really exciting and they have many suspense scene Expand
  46. Jun 20, 2013
    The Last of Us made me play into an environment that I never seen before. A survival-horror video game with so much complexity among the characters, the story line, the powerful emotions, the intense game play for survival, and the amazing graphics for I could say that I want to play it more often at least on how the game was meant to end up being. It's one of the best games of the PlayStation generation; therefore making it another masterpiece created by Naughty Dog. Mainly, I focused on the tense feelings of the two main characters in which how they were able to survive their journey across the post-apocalyptic United States from beginning to end, showing steps through affection they have between each other. That made me cry, but also made my heart filled with joy... Expand
  47. Jun 21, 2013
    One of the few games I played that went beyond the conventional norms of a video games. I played too many games when it's just cut scenes follow by a wave a npc to take down follow buy more cut scenes and repeat. Games where the shooting mechanic just becomes generic, where no real challenge presents itself other than waves and waves of npc to take down. The Last of Us breaks this mold by engrossing me in a epic story with acting (and yes I say acting because that's what if feels like when I watch these living breathing believable characters) worthy of an Oscar. The cut scenes grips me the moment the game begins; and I have to say the introduction engross me so much that for a few moments I truly felt I was in the world of the game. The time when you take control of the character to fend off npc felt real. And there we're many times that I felt a real sense of danger, whether if its from the fungal zombies or the non infected hunting you down. At the end of the day the Last of Us engrossed my in a story that I only thought a movies can do. It really set the bar high for other games and makes me wonder why aren't more games like the Last of Us and less like the generic shooters that lacks substance in the story and character development department that plague this industry? Hopefully other games developers can take note from the Last of Us and understand that great story telling is no longer just in the realms of novels or movies, but it can be implemented into a video game as well. Expand
  48. Sep 3, 2013
    The game has very poor AI that ruins the sense of immersion and results in inconsistent gameplay. Enemies disregard your followers when sneaking and react in ways that don't make sense to the player's input. Enemies might see you when hiding behind a wall, or they might ignore you when hiding behind clear glass. Overall though the game is great and I won't go over the good points covered by hundreds of users and reviews, but it is not worthy of a perfect score due to the clearly flawed AI. Expand
  49. Dec 18, 2013
    The Last of Us is arguably one of the best titles of this generation. Naughty Dog goes full throttle and delivers their most brutal game yet. This is an experience that will follow you for years to come. If you have ever wanted a reason to purchase a PS3, now is the time. Sony adds another masterpiece to their exclusive collection.
  50. Aug 14, 2013
    Naughty Dog is one of the few game developing companys that I absolutely trust as theey have proven themselves time after time over the years. This game was something refreshing and the first to get me to complete a game in 2 sittings for 16 hours worht of play. The story is fantastic and the game mechanics are solid. The multiplayer worried me that it would be a gimmik but bo no, it fit and actually felt like part of the story. If you are a fan of great storys, voice acting, zombie apocalypse and great gameplay mechanics then this will give you everything you want and also replayablilty.
    Masterpiece class game.
  51. Dec 21, 2013
    I loved "The Last of Us" so much that I didn't want it to end, and yet, I couldn't wait to replay
    it. What a testament! It reminded me of the early "Resident Evil" and "Dead Space" games
    with their emphasis on strategy, limited resources, and palpable fear of the unknown.Despite
    some dumb human enemies, the art direction, pacing, story, and EMOTIONAL impact are
    exceptional.Truly a
    memorable experience that resonates. Expand
  52. Jun 21, 2013
    This is about as good as it gets or is going to get for gaming, at least this generation. It's amazing. Its well written, immersive and fun to play. The game sets a dark tone early and never stops only taking breaks that surprise you and then remind you just how dark it is. Easily my game of the year and I recommend buying it if you enjoy survival horror, theatrical games, third person shooters, or fun. Expand
  53. Feb 22, 2014
    I think that The last of us is the most brilliant, intelligent, amazing, mature and emotional adventure of the ps360 generation. The better goodbye to PS3.
  54. Jun 19, 2013
    One word, MATERPIECE! This is the most beautiful game that I have played in a long time. The gameplay, graphics, voice acting, and overall flow of the game are spot on which is typical for the best developers in the business Naughty Dog. They truly outdid themselves with this one and I cant wait to see what they will do next for the ps4! Any gamer owes it to themselves to experience one of if not the best game of this console genration. Expand
  55. Aug 27, 2013
    Amazing gameplay, characters, story and graphics. It was brutally intense and nearly always challenging. Not only is the story one of the best game experiences I've ever witnessed, the Multiplayer is also very good and addicting.
  56. Jul 30, 2013
    I have been waiting for a long time to play this game (being a big fan of previous games by Naughty Dog) and they have not let me down. The story is engulfing, the characters believable, the action very tense, the atmosphere wonderfully grimy and best of al, the gameplay is a great mix between stealth, action, some small puzzle-like things and a bit of RPG thrown in.

I give it a 9,
    because the AI could still be improved upon.

What I don't understand is how some people can give this game a "0" I understand the game is maybe not everybody's cup of tea, but giving it a "0" is the worst insult you can give this game. I wonder if these people also give "0" to The Godfather or Shawshank Redemption? Just trashing a game because others like it?
  57. Jun 24, 2013
    This game is almost perfect. A truly adult game that doesn't flinch away from the hard realities of post apocalyptic survival. What makes this such a spectacular game is the attention to detail. For example, whilst searching an abandoned office building I noticed that one of the desks was decorated with a number of child drawings including a family group. This helped to make the fact that the desk used to belong to a real person more believable. The graphics are superb. I often found myself just standing still and looking around in absolute awe. I loved the way the relationship between the two protagonists developed throughout the game. I found myself having genuine affection for the young girl and cared about her safety. Expand
  58. Nov 12, 2013
    Pros:
    Great graphics
    Great characters
    Decent story
    Ellie

Cons:
    It's a bit short
    Not really challenging

Overall this game is a masterpiece, I still can't believe PS 3 was able to handle those graphics
  59. Jun 20, 2013
    If you have a PS3. Do yourself a favor and buy this game new. Please support ND so they can continue on making games like this. Next stop, Beyond Two Souls
  60. Nov 11, 2013
    By far the best game I have ever played Naughty Dog have produced the game of the generation. Even though I am usually a PC gamer I found the graphics stunning and the game runs very smoothly. From the dramatic opening to the very end about 12 hours later I was never bored. The character design is incredible and the way Joel and Ellie interact with each other throughout the game is fantastic. I have put in over 150 hours now and have done 7 playthroughs and have never had more fun playing a game. The negatives to this game are so little it's not worth mentioning and I can safely say that you won't regret spending money on this. Expand
  61. Nov 13, 2013
    First of all this is not Uncharted. This was better than Uncharted for me and I loved Uncharted especially 2. But what stood out to me was the story. This is one of the best stories this year and it's ironic that only a handful of people will get to experience it (Note that I'm comparing this game mostly to movies i've watched this year because games don't even compare). The story is so good because of how it is told, the characters, the music, the hundreds of subtleties. The gameplay is excellent as well and is extremely fun. But what stood out to me was the "realness" and believablity of this world and story and how everything is told plus the characters and violence. It all fit together beautifully even though this is not a shiny happy world. In fin, there really isn't anything wrong with this game except that fact that it had to inevitably end sometime. I just wish more people, who weren't gamers, could experience this story because a lot of people who love movies and books are really missing out and a lot of gamers as well like xbox owners and even some ps3 owners. The only way you might not like this game is if you really hate post apocalyptic setting. Expand
  62. Jun 20, 2013
    This game is possibly one of the greatest this generation. After feeling a little underwhelmed with the previous uncharted game, I was beginning to suspect a possible decline in Naughty Dogs ability to create truly fantastic games after making them for so long. Even the great kings must fall, but alas not today.

The Last of Us is an absolute marvel and truly a wonderful, yet dreary
    experience. The combat feels like a fight for survival, whenever you startle an infected or alert a guard, panic sets in and you realize that you have less than enough resources to finish the job. The overall sense of dread throughout might seem as though it would cause some serious burnout late in the game, but Naughty dog manages to keep it interesting all the way through.
    The story is wonderful, though I won't say anything about it to avoid spoiling anything, but it never misses a beat.
    The graphics are possible the greatest on any console at the moment (excluding PC) and the art direction really helps with worn down cities taken over by vegetation.
    unfortunately there are some AI issues in the game, but these are generally few and far between.
    '
    The surprise of the whole package though is the multi-player, seamlessly integrating all of the tactics and resource management that has been learnt in the single player game. I can say that a few times my heart has picked up when it's down to a 1 v 1 and I have only one bullet left, but when you pull through and kick the other guy/gals ass, there is a great sense of relief. The down side is that there are only two mode, but they are both equally as entertaining.

Naught Dog has once again stepped their game up and sent the PS3 out with a last Hoora!
  63. Sep 4, 2013
    This is the most amazing game i have ever played. Though looking forward to GTA V, this game will definitely be my second favorite game of all time. A little taste for PS4 and great graphics!! The story line is second to none. It's GREAT! It deserves full marks. It's not everyday you get a great game you could actually play, over and over again. Congrats Naughty Dog!
  64. Oct 14, 2013
    It's probably the most detailed game I've ever seen, design and level wise, and with that it's also one of the most immersive games I've played since Half life 2. But personally for me, it's also the single best AAA survival horror game in recent years.
    This game deserves all the praise it gets.
  65. Jul 11, 2013
    Fantastic game, story, graphics; only one major flaw. Hordes and hordes of bandits. I often found myself wondering: if life is so difficult to survive in after the apocalypse then why are these so many damned bandits willing to throw away their hard-earned lives to gain absolutely nothing by killing the death tornado that is our main protagonist? It seriously killed immersion around the halfway mark. In fact it gets to the point where if you see a happy glimmer you know for sure it will up in less than 5 minutes. A particular level has you racing past what seems like HUNDREDS of men firing guns and chasing after you in a BARREN waste of a frozen mountain village with barely any food about. Where are they getting so many bullets? Why would they deem to waste them? Even if they are eating people how on earth would they be healthy enough to chase me? Where are the women? A tarnish on an otherwise great game. Expand
  66. Jul 12, 2013
    Really good game. I still think Uncharted 2 is better, but it's reeeaaallllyy close. I'm not going to write a book on this, but I want to give it a 9. Great job Naughty Dog!
  67. Sep 19, 2013
    Easily one of the best games I have ever played. Naughty Dog has maintained it's firm lead as my favorite developer around. No spoilers, promise.

The Last of Us is a post apocalyptic masterpiece. You play the game through the eyes of Joel, a hardened survivor who has seen too much for one person. Joel is not a hero and he's not a good person. He's simply a survivor. As you play through
    the game you will begin to relate with Joel and understand how he became the way he is. One of the greatest triumphs of this game is putting you in the survival first mindset.

While secondary to the incredible story, cutscenes, and characterization, the gameplay of The Last of Us is fantastic. The game allows you the freedom to choose how to approach almost every engagement. The combat is gruesome and realistic, and only serves to engage you in the action more. The realism of choking an enemy to death reminds you that you are not just choking some random villain, this is just another person trying to survive. The game provides a fantastic illusion of existing in a real world, despite the fact that it is a linear game.

I can't possibly end my review without mentioning the graphics. They are stunningly good. I did not think that current generation games would look any better than Uncharted 3, but they have improved their graphics again. While most of the sights you will see will be ruined cities, they all look absolutely fantastic thanks to the fantastic texture quality Naughty Dog stuffed in the game.

Gameplay:
    Story:
    Graphics:
    Sound:
  68. Jul 11, 2013
    This is why I will always own a PlayStation in my house. I am a pc gamer for the most part. This game felt just as good as a pc game. Didn't look as good but since the PS3 is limited so must be the game but that doesn't matter. Naughty Dog shows just how far they can push that limitation and still get an amazing looking game. I wish Naughty Dog would develop one game for the pc. They are always key to detail and love to do the most with what they have. As for the story. The Story for the most part is the best I have seen for a game. It has some cliche and predictable moments but so does every game or movie in this genre. AI interactions in the game are both good and bad. Sometimes they can be flawless and realistic while other times they will just be your mindless AI patrolling. But that element does sometimes make you get comfortable with a situation that you should be on high alert with. There was a few deaths I had were the AI had grabbed me from about 10 feet away. While annoying it just made me approach the situation differently and fixed the problem. I do give one tip to those of you who have not got it yet and are reading this review. Use ammo sparingly otherwise when you really need it. Its gone. Also thank you Naughty Dog for a great game. For those of you who are still on the borderline about this game go to you tube and watch the first 20 minutes of game-play. Expand
  69. Jun 20, 2013
    This game was a masterpiece. The gameplay was fun, and the limited ammo made you adjust the way you play the game. The stealth was a good option to have, and is very effective. The character's and the story was the star of the game, all the character's had emotions that you can relate with; it felt like a real post apocalyptic world. My only complaints in this game were that the A.I was overrated, and I would've prefered more infected enemies than human enemies. But yeah if your expecting a dead rising type game, you would be disappointed, I would even go as far as say this game is slow paced in a good way; but it was worth it at the end. It was like a rollercoaster of action, emotion, suspense, fear, drama, etc. I actually didn't want this game to end, and not a lot of games can do that with me. Expand
  70. Jul 11, 2013
    An absolutely stunning game, start to finish. It reinvents 3rd person survival-horror in such an amazing way, where you actually feel for the characters and care about what happens to them on their journey. Not to mention an insanely entertaining and unique multiplayer. Very worth while.
  71. Jan 26, 2014
    It is epic story and all, I was really excited playing it for the 1st time. But now even after several months I finished it I realize that I don't want to play it again, as its just pretty straight forward one-shoot game. The world is big but it split on small levels and it is just a decoration.
    I would say the ending also a bit disappointing.
  72. Nov 19, 2013
    This is what other games should aspire to be, the graphics were really amazing and detailed, by far the best console graphics I have seen, the gameplay is really tense and intuitive, and the best part is that gameplay is non linear, you can go in guns blazing, use stealth takedowns or even pass through an area without killing anyone and it also encourages exploration to find supplies since ammunition is really scarce, and the mix of sometimes having to fight humans and other times having to fight infected really mixes things up and you will have to constantly change your tactics, the crafting was also great because everything you craft is performed in real time so you won't have to pause the game so the inmersion is never broken, but as good as the gameplay is the story is what the game was all about to me, the story is intriguing and unpredictable, characters all have their own little backstory and all are very well developed, especially Joel and Ellie and how their relation was constantly evoling throughout the game, in short words this game is a masterpiece and by far my number 1 best game of all time, so you should definitely give it a go, trust me, you won't regret it. Expand
  73. Sep 8, 2013
    One of my favorite games this gen. I wish that I can give this a 10 but I can't. I honestly don't like the multiplayer, It's filled with campers. The single player however is amazing! Fantastic graphics, great gameplay, great characters, great story, beautiful voice acting. I like both Ellie and Joel. I can't wait to see what Naughty Dog has in store for us next gen :D
  74. Jun 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game lived up to my expectations and was great! The story isn't original or impressive in anyway, but the characters and gameplay is what makes up for it. However... Joel became very selfish towards the ending and made me begin to dislike him and made me feel bad that Ellie trusts him because she doesn't know what he did. My only real complaint with this game is the ending. The ending is horrible. It abruptly cuts off with nothing happening but Joel saying "I Swear" after Ellie confronts him about if he has lied to her. I felt bad for Joel at the start of this game, but after watching that ending it really made me dislike him... that and the fact that the ending was just stupid. A great game, but a terrible ending. Expand
  75. Jun 19, 2013
    Visually engaging, and with a plot-line that deserves the good reviews, the Last of Us has the same style that Naughty Dog has been bringing to its fans with Uncharted. Being worth the 2 year (or more) development time, the experience is the zombie stuff you always see in these kinds of shooter games, but with some added preservatives (lawl) and an eye for detail, the developers have kept putting in a reason to keep people attached to the game. Expand
  76. Jul 27, 2013
    To some who talk about the cooperative AI-sneaking, imagine how frustrating the game would be when an AI-controlled characters keeps blowing your cover. I think Naughty Dog had to choose between being absolutly responsable for your actions or dependence of other non-controllable characters and chose wisely
  77. Jul 5, 2013
    This is a 10/10. Very well done in all aspects. Well except for few glitches like when directing light to a person it doesn't draw a shadow :).
    Nice story, not a brand new one though. Similar to I'm a legend. Except there are many survivors who divided into groups and fighting each others for resources and surviving.
    The story elements are well connected. Ellie definitely sweet companion
    during this journey.
    From gameplay point of view. I loved it. I got a full screen with almost no HUD elements (not needed really). HUD elements only appears when required like when get shot, hit or healing.
    Upgrade system is cool. And I also loved the side stories found in collectable notes.
    Graphics are awesome. the world look fantastic and well designed.
    This is 10/10
  78. Jul 25, 2013
    There is just no words to describe how awesome TLOU is, I mean the graphics are breathtaking and the story is very original and the characters have to be one of the most memorable out there, the sound effects are brilliant. TLOU is easily the best game i've played this year so far, but I'll have to play GTA V as well to see if it's as good as TLOU or better. Im going to go a bit higher than it says. I give TLOU 9.5/10 Expand
  79. Nov 15, 2013
    Is a beautiful looking game with an incredible campaign, the multi-player was nice but really needed some more modes as its clearly focused towards the campaign; which there's nothing wrong with as it was brilliant but a few new modes and maps would have been ideal.

Other than that, well recommended.
  80. Jun 20, 2013
    This game was quite possibly the greatest game I have ever played, firstly it was a gorgeous game, I caught myself several times just admiring the scenery Naughty Dog created. As soon as I beat the game I did not want to put the controller down, in fact, I didn't. I started a second run through, and that's a first for me.
  81. Aug 14, 2013
    The last of us has the most spectacular single player campaign on the ps3 console, no if, buts or maybes.
    The detail and Obvious effort put into the last of us raises the bar for competing console games, and my standards as a gamer.
    The last of us really show's what these 5 year old consoles are still capable of.
    I won't give much detail on the game itself, so no spoilers, I'll simply
    state that it's amazing, and worth your time.
    Multiplayer In the last of us is done very well, the only real down fall is the community it's self, partially due to the way kills work, people will constantly take your kills, hang behind you so you weaken the enemy and then pounce once you've left the rooms safer, this can be very frustrating at times, there are also only two modes, but they are very good modes.
    This is a game that cannot be missed, even if you rarely buy a game, let the last of us be that game!.
  82. Jun 24, 2013
    The last of us is a really entertaining game. The graphics are very well done considering the aging platform it runs on. The storyline is engaging and the sound is immersive. Something that bothered me a lot was Joel taking up too much of the center of the screen. Third person view is fine but I found myself trying to look around the character way to much. Also, why is there so much boxed ammo, food, and scissors laying around 20 years after the end of the world? Why do I have to craft shanks from scissors? Are the scissors not already pointy and sharp? Knives don't exist anymore? Why can I construct a working rifle scope from nuts and bolts? My biggest gripe was the lack of an open world. While the level designers did do a great job, it was a real big immersion breaker being told the only way through a city is to climb up into a leaning skyscraper (ignoring the physics of that) even though that would be the last thing any reasonable person would do. Also, why give the players maps if they are useless? These are all nitpicks I have and do not mean that this is not an awesome title. While the massive amount of "PERFECT GAME EVERRRR!" coming from critics and players alike is merely hype I would and am recommending the last of us to my friends. Expand
  83. Jun 21, 2013
    No matter what anyone says, The Last of Us is truly one of the best games that I have ever played. Everything in the game is amazing, from the in game graphics, to the cutscenes, and the gameplay, everything feels right, and it makes the game that much better. Usually I dont give games a 10/10, because there is always something that bothers me. But The Last of Us is one of the games that surprised me the whole time. There was nothing wrong with the game, and it shows. Everything is polished, and I loved how often little things struck me. When Joel and Ellie are just walking, and then they start having a conversation, it really made the game feel alive. This game is one of the few games in my opinion that is completly deserving of all the 10/10's it got, and the hype for this amazing game was very right. It is one of the best games I have ever played, and if you want an experience, and perhaps PS3's best game, then look no further then The Last of Us. Expand
  84. Oct 24, 2013
    Ok I've reviewed this game three times this is the last. People saying no stealth because of wall hack. Have any of you tried it on Survivor difficulty this is how this game was meant to be played. There is No listen mode and this makes it a real and scary survival horror game and this IS GOTY and yes I do have and love GTA5 but this is a fantastic masterpiece and it shows PS4 will crush Xbox1 because all of Sonys latest exclusives are looking next gen already. But anyways get this game story is perfect and with single player DLC it will be epic again. Multiplayer is better than most and the season pass price of 20$ isn't as bad as some of these money grab games I'll be happy to pay 20$ for some moe last of us content. I have the new multiplayer map pack and they are great. See you later but Get This Game Now if you haven't. Its the Best!! Expand
  85. Jul 5, 2013
    This game left me with chills.
    I have played many single player games and none have been as good as this. There were points in this game where I wanted to cry. The dark themes in this game are enough to make anyone's jaw drop and you feel it is your duty to defend Ellie at all costs.
    Even when you know what you are doing is wrong, you do it without question because you build such a
    strong attachment to her.
    I recommend this game to anyone who sin't black.
  86. Jan 30, 2014
    Naughty Dog proved itself again as the best game studio. Its production, the Last of Us inherits the studio's specialties: solid gameplay, satisfying platformer, interesting dialogues and most importantly, amazing characters. The protagonists, Joel and Ellie, are easily among the best written characters in all video games and you will, after playing this game, feel attached with them and genuinely care about them. I don't know if it is possible to not like Joel and Ellie but I am in love with them.
    Set in the post-apocalyptic US, Joel and Ellie must journey across the country in search of a group. In this world an unknown pandemic has ravaged mankind, transforming infected into half-human-half-fungus undead. What sets the Last of Us different from all other zombie games is that the infected here are also blind and therefore by moving quietly it is possible to avoid conflict at all. Ammo and healing supplies are limited (there is no stomping corpses to reveal supplies here), so stealth is always the better option. When combat is the only way to go, the Last of Us becomes a solid third person shooter almost identical to the Uncharted series.
    The world in the Last of Us is vibrant and believable. As is all post-apocalyptic worlds, the world goes into chaos and survival is dependent on oneself: only the fittest survives. There is no hero or antagonist in the Last of Us; only survivors. In fact, Joel is so ruthless against other survivors standing in his way that you might feel that he is, in a sense, the villain.
    However no game is perfect--not even the Last of Us. Supplies for tools feel a little bit too plentiful. For example nail bombs should have been valuable weapons that are only used in the most desperate times, but they are in fact so common in the world that I found my backpack too full to carry yet even more of them. In the same sense weapons are also too powerful for a game like this: your arsenal isn't limited at all; you will get a freaking flame thrower half way into the story. Also the ending is somewhat disappointing; I won't spoil anything for you, but I was disappointed.
    BUT--- with this ending it is possible for them to make a sequel. :DD As the Last of Us is so successful this is very likely to be the case--I cannot wait to see more of Joel and Ellie's journey.
  87. Jan 20, 2014
    GOOD THINGS:
    PLOT: I thought it very cliché, similar to I am the Legend and War of the Worlds, but the characters are very charismatics, and the narrative goes very well.
    GAMEPLAY: Very fun, either Stealth or TPS, both are perfect, making improvised weapons are cool, finding medicine and pieces to Level Up are very good made.
    Soundtrack: very sad, and absent in the most time.
  88. Sep 28, 2013
    Wow, I don't even know what to say. I just finished playing and I'm speechless. I am really reluctant to give any game a 10 but this will be the first. This game is the total package. The game does not break immersion. For me total immersion consists of 4 absolutes. Graphics, story, gameplay and sound. For a last of a generation masterpiece this game has the best PS3 graphics bar none. The story has gut wrenching edge of your seat feel. The gameplay mechanics is way above average for a third person action game. And sound is outstanding from the voice over to the pop of your weapons. Do not move on the PS4 without play this game first. Expand
  89. Jul 2, 2013
    OMG TO LAST OF US IS AMAZING!!! EVERYTHING IS AWESOME! except...
    the combat! it's total BS! this game demands you to use stealth! dont try to shoot everyone in the face because you cant! you are extremely underpowered against the others, especially soldiers and clickers are the most annoying thing about the game! that's the only thing that i didnt like about the game, apart from that its amazing!
  90. Jul 16, 2013
    The most important thing to remember about this game is that the gameplay isn't the focus. There are plenty of goofy, quirky Indie platformers out there that are more "fun" and have better gameplay. The game has great atmosphere, good storytelling, believable characters and a great soundtrack. All of those elements combined make it worth it. It's like a good book or a thought-provoking movie. It's a game that you can discuss with friends, on multiple levels, for hours.

Is it perfect? No. It can be frustrating, tedious and at times glitchy. It has a low replay value because, well, you KNOW the story, you KNOW the characters, what else is there? But it's totally worth the price of the game for such a good story.
  91. Jul 2, 2013
    Last of us них.

В Last of us Naughty Dog Uncharted, Last of us The Walking Dead: The Game интересный.

Как внушительную(14-16 придуманно.
    Эмоциональная целом.
    Первые last of us half-life 2,но Naughty Dog The Walking Dead: The Game
    И ps3. 1 5 96/100, Half-life 2(пк) uncharted 2.
    Кароче
  92. Dec 22, 2013
    The Last Of Us is just the best game I ever played.The Story, is not only well written, but it makes you attach Joel and Ellie and to care about their fate in the game."The Last Of Us" delivers strong emotions that make you realize that you are a human and once with it comes hope, love and the desire for survival.
    THE LAST OF US is the reason I play Video Games...
  93. Mar 23, 2014
    Great game with great story. The presentation is exceptional but where i found the game a little weak is on the gameplay level. I hate cheap "one-shot-kill" and even if i found the game really fascinating, I didn't had as much fun to actually play it that i though I would. One last thing : I hate clickers !
  94. Sep 4, 2013
    Amazing game, completed it three times when I have never played a game after completed it before.

The only reason not to buy this game is if you are easily scared or do not like action games, otherwise go buy it now.

I dropped a point for the rather run-of-the-mill multiplayer which for me is a complete waste of time, would have been better off making the game bigger (even though it
    is plenty big enough). Expand
  95. Jun 20, 2013
    Everything about The Last of Us is intriguing. If you're going into this game thinking that this will be an Uncharted game with zombies don't bother. Also, if you're going into to this game you should know that you're entering into a game where there's barely any happy moments and violence around every corner.

There's quite a few people who play this game and obviously don't get it. The
    Last of Us is a very character drive action-adventure, survival game. The gameplay is constantly an intense experience where you never really know what to expect. You could probably nitpick the crap out of the game because it's not perfect, no game is. My personal experience with the game was a special experience that no game has really delivered yet. The level of attachment you feel for these characters is just incredible. The Ai are smart, your resources within gameplay is sparse forcing you to make strategic decisions, and the story is fantastic.

I'm not a huge multiplayer person so it was a huge shock when I got to the multiplayer and found out I really enjoy it! The multiplayey captures that intensity and gameplay experience the single player had. It is really fun.

This game is the best game to do date (in my opinion) on the PlayStation 3. There's been a lot of great games over the years but I feel this is the perfect swan song for the PS3. By the end of if it you really feel for these characters, and it's one hell of a ride. The ending was pretty incredible also. The Last of Us really stretches your mind to think what is right and what is wrong.
  96. Jun 16, 2013
    For a long time I have found myself disgusted at AAA games. Games like BioShock Infinite which try to be spectacles and marvels. Games that try so hard to be something fantastic, and result in a hideous wave-based shooter.
    TLOU isn't really that different. It's not a wave-based shooter. In fact, it's a game that requires planning. I get the feeling that many of the negative reviews are
    from people that have been playing the game as a shooter. It isn't a shooter, and you're also an idiot [GonzoGamer]. The Last of Us IS a fantastic game. It IS a marvel in today's industry of AAA titles. I'm not a fan of the Uncharted games, and the whole cinematic feel of games always put me off. However, TLOU requires such elements for narrative. Narrative is important in any game telling a straightforward story like this, and it isn't achievable while allowing you to explore a sandbox environment. People refer to the negatives of this game as 'linear'. I'm not sure when that was defined as a negative feature, especially when the environments are as stellar as what is offered in TLOU.

The gameplay is sluggish and brutish. You'll find yourself choking the life out of your enemies or beating their skulls in with a pipe after throwing a brick at their face. You'll find yourself avoiding taking that shot because the noise will attract more than you can handle and the ammo is far too precious to waste. Anybody that considers this game a shooter is completely out of their mind and need to stick to games like BioShock Infinite and Call of Duty.

The plot of TLOU may be generic, but it is told in a fantastic way. It isn't half as predictable as these upcoming Nostradmus reviews claim. In fact, the majority of it is revealed to you at the start of the game. It isn't pulling a "We're so smart we attach quantum mechanics to our game that is filled with plotholes." It's just a well told story. Complexity isn't required unless you're trying to prove you're a smart individual. In which case, stop looking to video games for that you pretentious arse.

The world is filled with a sense of loss. The environments and level design are structured in a way that show that nature is taking breaking down their humanity. A feature as simple as vines growing over a dilapidated building reflect the condition of the infection so perfectly that only the fantasic animations compete. The ambient noise is a focus more so than the music, and the music is incredible alone. The ambient noise is just something that I adored, and it's something that blends with the atmosphere of the game to aid your immersion beyond measure.

I could praise this game for a long time, as could anybody that truly appreciates video games regardless of how they feel towards it personally. I hate the Halo franchise but can respect how well made the games are (for the most part). But there are flaws. The allied AI will run infront of the enemy AI and remain unseen granted this works better than them potentially forcing you to be detected, but it's still something I dislike as a gameplay mechanic. Often, during a melee attack, I'd be broken away from my target and they'd receive no damage, resulting in my death. There were a few minor inconsistencies such as that, and although they didn't ruin my experience, they definitely detract from the score I'm giving today. I feel 8/10 is exactly what this game is. I'm not going to give it a 10 to spite the unfair "I'm rating it low because people have rated it too high" reviews, even though those people are incredibly stupid and deserve nothing less than being flayed alive [GonzoGamer]. 8/10, a game that sits on top of this generation alongside the Souls franchise, The Witcher 2 and RDR.
  97. Sep 23, 2013
    The Last Of Us is one of the best games of 2013 and I really don't know what will be the Game Of The Year. I just finished Grand Theft Auto 5 and I played Bioshock Infinite. Those 3 games I loved the best games this year but The Last Of Us just stuck with me and got me emotionally attached. Do yourself a favor and get this game the gameplay is solid and you will connect with the characters.
  98. Sep 1, 2013
    A gorgeous, meaningful, intense, scrumptious (yes, even the sound of rending flesh...is scrumptious, somehow LOL) game. Agreed, the AI is a little thick at times...but, the essence of the game, what makes it great, so far outshines any minor issues, it's hardly noticeable. My only beef with games of this nature is that replay value is low for me. Didn't like the MP that much and I tend not to play story driven games more than once. But, as far as a story game goes, this is one of the very best! Expand
  99. Aug 14, 2013
    Wow. Great job ND. I am torn between letting this game stand alone and badly wanting a sequel just to continue to play in the world you created. Graphically awesome, characters awesome, loved the story, gameplay epic. Great audio and gun physics btw. I finished it last night and was left with such mixed emotions. Loved the way it wrapped up but felt sad that I was done. I don't play games again once I've finished them typically but I just might go back through for the Plus Mode. Ok, I'm not torn, please make a sequel!!!!!!! Expand
  100. Sep 18, 2013
    When I say 8, I mean an 8.8/10. While I don't think this game is the most epic PS3 exclusive out there, it is am amazing game. It has great graphics, great gameplay, great story, the list goes on. While the game honestly didn't do anything new, it just does it so well. And on top of already a great game, they actually bothered to add multiplayer! As you can tell from my short sentences I love this game, then why didn't it get a 9 or 10? It's because after a while of the theme and nothing that new or innovative, it gets boring at about the half way mark. But despite that one flaw, it is a great game! Expand

1. Sep 16, 2013
  2. Sep 10, 2013
  3. Despite the breakneck pace of the prologue, it takes quite a while for The Last of Us to pick up some speed again. However, once the cold harsh winter arrives, the action (and story) ramps up. So much so, it puts most Hollywood productions to shame. [July 2013, p.76]