• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Jun 14, 2013
9.1

1. Jul 13, 2013
    A good game but certainly an overhyped one!The story is very interesting,but the ending is a little bit controversial.The characters ,and most importantly Joel and Ellie,are really realistic and interesting.The gameplay is a good one but not perfect.Overall, TheLastOfUs is one of the best video games of 2013,if not the best, but not the best one of this generation
  2. Aug 29, 2013
    muy buen juego, sin duda el mejor de su generación, por lejos vale la pena jugarlo les recomiendo probarlo y sin duda es lo mejor en este momento para esta consola, vamos denle los botos!!!.
  3. Sep 2, 2013
    9.7/10. A game being my favorite really just depends on my mood and what I want from a game at a given time, but right now, TLOU is my favorite game, bar none. The combat mechanics are a bit shaky, true, but I didn't buy this game and start playing it for a shoot-em-up style. The character writing is fantastic. The game is very linear but it doesn't feel that way, because you're often left9.7/10. A game being my favorite really just depends on my mood and what I want from a game at a given time, but right now, TLOU is my favorite game, bar none. The combat mechanics are a bit shaky, true, but I didn't buy this game and start playing it for a shoot-em-up style. The character writing is fantastic. The game is very linear but it doesn't feel that way, because you're often left to consider what you need to do next. The relationship between Joel and Ellie, and the world that they're traveling through, is beautiful. The storywriting and setting are stunning. I don't know what it is, but seeing civilization break down and become overgrown and largely back-to-nature once more is beautiful.

And then there's Ellie. I wouldn't call it a character-crush, but rather almost a fatherly affection. She is living example that the state of affairs in the world doesn't ruin everyone; Ellie is basically untouched by what is happening around her, and you very much feel the need to protect her (and her innocence) and keep her safe. And it's quite sad, in a way, to watch her become more accustomed to the world. Not to mention, she (along with Joel of course) is quite well written.

The game was short, and does not have much replay-ability, but I'm on my second playthrough simply because I enjoy walking around and seeing the setting so much.

I understand that there are nitpicks about the gameplay that turn people off the game, and they're entitled to that, but I believe that the game was certainly worth its hype. You can't quite put a finger on how perfect it is.
  4. Nov 20, 2013
    Un juego increíble, la trama te enganchará desde el primer minuto hasta el último, el modo historia dura mas de 15 horas, con una jugabilidad excepcional, te enganchará, va mas allá de lo que prometía, el doblaje esta genial, los gráficos son excelentes, los escenarios tan inmensos para poder indagar de casa en casa, para poder investigar, descubrir, tiene momentos de mucha tensión y masUn juego increíble, la trama te enganchará desde el primer minuto hasta el último, el modo historia dura mas de 15 horas, con una jugabilidad excepcional, te enganchará, va mas allá de lo que prometía, el doblaje esta genial, los gráficos son excelentes, los escenarios tan inmensos para poder indagar de casa en casa, para poder investigar, descubrir, tiene momentos de mucha tensión y mas de una vez te llevarás algún susto, una vez mas los creadores de Uncharted vuelven a sorprenderme con un juego exquisito y que pone el broche de oro al catalogo de Playstation 3, compra obligada, juego fascinante, totalmente recomendado. No te arrepentirás. Expand
  5. Aug 8, 2014
    Solid writing, well paced story, and impressive visuals make for an entertaining adventure. However repetitive level design, and clunky AI will none the less detract from your experience in The Last of US.
  6. Sep 9, 2014
    I do not see what is so good about this game. It as Uncharted all over again, not saying Uncharted was bad but it is just another Uncharted with Zombies. Very very linear. You have no choices what so ever and you have to do exactly what the game tells you to do. Even in combat that is. You have very little ammo, you have to shot 4 guys with 1 bullet or try to sneak. But sneak is impossibleI do not see what is so good about this game. It as Uncharted all over again, not saying Uncharted was bad but it is just another Uncharted with Zombies. Very very linear. You have no choices what so ever and you have to do exactly what the game tells you to do. Even in combat that is. You have very little ammo, you have to shot 4 guys with 1 bullet or try to sneak. But sneak is impossible if you do not do it exactly as the game wants you to sneak. The story is nothing special. It is like the story on Uncharted, perhaps a bit exiting for some, not for me. I liked Uncharted at the end. Did not like the first one and do not like Last of us. They are far to linear and just "Go to the next room and kill the enemy and hide behind the dedicated stuff" again and again and again... Expand
  7. Oct 26, 2013
    I'm sorry man I cannot give this game the solid score everyone thinks it deserves. The stealth mechanics are obviously, blantantly bad. The enemies follow very scripted paths, respond to the exact same decibel levels of noise their friends currently were making seconds ago as an alarm, and will just plain know you're behind them even while sneaking. Scenery great, game play not.
  8. Sep 30, 2013
    First of all, I acknowledge the production values of Last of Us (LoU). Great graphics, check. Emotion-ladden story, check. Excellent voice acting, check. State of the art game mechanics, check. LoU has all that.

But just as with Kane&Lynch, Uncharted, the new Tomb Raider or Bioshock Infinite, there’s a lot of fluff and eye candy around the edges but in essence the game mechanics require you to become a serial killer and pretend it’s no big deal at all. Unfortunately, this stereotype largely applies here too even though TLoU hides it a little better by pretending serious issues are at play.

Even though gunning down droves of enemies has been kind of a standard in action games for a long time, the most recent ones, TLoU included, try very hard to make it look very realistic on the surface while insisting on cheap ambushes, predictable plot twists, and hordes of faceless foes just waiting to be slaughtered by the protagonists with very little option to prevent or avoid the conflict.

I’m no longer sure what’s more absurd that as a playing character you kill dozens of people in a row without getting killed yourself or losing your sanity or that your enemies keep piling up despite your track record. If you really want to play a game where all these things are addressed in a truly serious way and with a very strong point delivered, try Spec Ops: the Line.

And if you want to appreciate the production values and story of games such as TLoU without being bogged down by stereotypical and almost dehumanizing gameplay, I suggest watching movie walkthroughs that are becoming popular and contain only minimal gameplay while delivering the plot.

In summary TLoU has great production values but gameplay is sloppy and repetitive, thinly veiled by emotions, graphics, and voice acting. I don't recommend it to play but watching it as a few hours long movie might be a way to get the best out of it.
  9. Jun 14, 2013
    Consider the recent New York Times review, which includes perceptive insights into the role of female characters in video games.

10. Dec 10, 2013
    To be perfectly honest, I do not understand the rave about the game. i will start by saying yes it does have a decent story line with few plot holes, nothing good or bad about it, pretty average. However, the game play is God-awful, I feel as though the game play is focused on stealth except all the focused on was the shooting aspect, the shooting works great, but will kill you instantlyTo be perfectly honest, I do not understand the rave about the game. i will start by saying yes it does have a decent story line with few plot holes, nothing good or bad about it, pretty average. However, the game play is God-awful, I feel as though the game play is focused on stealth except all the focused on was the shooting aspect, the shooting works great, but will kill you instantly if you ever use it with zombies. One major thing that annoyed me was different types of zombies, no explanation behind how they came to be, just put in there in an attempt to make extra game play. However in the end, special zombies are what ruined the game for me and I'm sure many others, what makes them stronger? I don't know, no one knows. And one last thing, people say the infection is realistic, it isn't possible for the virus to infect humans that way, Dead Island had it right with the mutated strand of Kuru. 4/10 Expand
  11. Jul 4, 2013
    It's a very good game. Good narrative, strong plot and spectacular game of actors. Also, gameplay good, too. One thing bad AI of Ellie. Better to delete this character from gameplay, than play so.
  12. Jul 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is so overrated, it's even hard to believe people can't see it. It's just a rather short and mediocre story in a linear shooter.
    Boring "puzzles" of 3 types find a raft for Ellie, find a ladder/crate to climb, find a generator to power stuff up. This is it. And you do it over and over and over, when you are not shooting.
    Shooting in this game is among the least enjoyable I've seen. Console shooting MUST have target assistance, even minor. Red Dead Redemption had it, Infamous had it, Borderlands had it. Their shooting is enjoyable. Last of Us is not. Moments when I had to pull my gun were the most painful experience in this game.
    Stealth could be ok if you were the only character on screen. But when you sit behind cover and see your NPC companion running right in front of enemies and they don't see them... well, let's say, it breaks immersion.
    Characters, aside from main two, are plain and their outcome is very predictable. And as for main ones, once you understand how this game works, you stop caring about main characters you know nothing will happen to them. Creators were too obsessed about not hurting somebody's feelings to add decent amount of violence needed for this game, especially when it comes to Ellie, the underaged character.
    The story was generic, you don't see any plot twists you don't expect. It takes very long time to get interesting, and when it finally starts to seem promising... credits. You see credits. The game ends. I swear, when I saw the final cutscene, I was 100% sure I'm about half done at most. And then bang credits. It was the biggest "WTF?" since Mass Effect 3 in my life.

On a positive note, graphics are good, and I mean really good. It IS the prettiest game on PS3 to date.
    Music is nice as well. Nothing memorable, but it was good.

Overall the game was a disappointment, especially after the high expectations set by all the reviews out there. It was just a pretty shooter with no drama. I've never regretted wasting 60$ on a game that much in my life. Rental at most.

Overrated.
  13. Aug 10, 2013
    i didn't really into the idea to get the developers of Crash Bandicoot to make uncharted but it was a good game i must say this game is just uncharted with zombies and a teen girl. the guns are not that good including the bow which made me sad because i ALWAYS use the bow. i have not got far in the game but the multiplayer is good. i think it needs a 5-10. like this review give it a likei didn't really into the idea to get the developers of Crash Bandicoot to make uncharted but it was a good game i must say this game is just uncharted with zombies and a teen girl. the guns are not that good including the bow which made me sad because i ALWAYS use the bow. i have not got far in the game but the multiplayer is good. i think it needs a 5-10. like this review give it a like and ill see you later Expand
  14. Oct 20, 2013
    In my opinion it only looks great. Story maybe is good but there is nothing new in it, we have seen it hundreds of time in movies about zombies! Also game it self is not very challenging and sometimes even boring. After first finish Im not going to do it again as I wont find anything new.
  15. Apr 29, 2014
    ===========
    ===========
    As in Uncharted, Naughty Dog proves once again with The Last of Us that a game with repetitive gameplay but emotional story and pretty visuals to hide the nature of the gameplay can fool many and get 10/10s for no reason.
  16. Aug 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game really does not deserve these ridiculous high scores and reviews. I have purposely created this account just to review this game. I have never reviewed anything on here before. I was really excited for this game I decided to buy it for £31 on the PlayStation Store, not bad really. It starts off good with a strong storyline and decent characters (for a video game anyway) There are a lot of long cut scenes in the beginning which did annoy me. The game play starts off interesting for quite a while and makes you want to keep playing. It was around the time when I had to start transporting Ellie back from Marlene I noticed the game was getting repetitive and slow. The gun control is pretty shocking, the stealth that you need to us in almost every situation is almost non-existent and just doesn't work. I found myself literally replaying the same part more than 30 times and it seemed actually impossible at one point. The game starts getting really slow and just flat-out boring. Walk through all these random walkways/doors/stairs for 2 hours, get to your destination, repeat over and over.I would say the graphics are the best part of this game. Please do try before you buy people. Expand
  17. Feb 14, 2014
    This game combines all of the worst elements of the 1980 zombie movies with the more irritating aspects of Uncharted. In terms of cinema, it is stunning (here the score not being zero.) In terms of game play, this is not a game for those not versed in run-and-gun tripe. The combat, even at easier levels totally gets in the way of the story line (what there is of it) and thereby discouragesThis game combines all of the worst elements of the 1980 zombie movies with the more irritating aspects of Uncharted. In terms of cinema, it is stunning (here the score not being zero.) In terms of game play, this is not a game for those not versed in run-and-gun tripe. The combat, even at easier levels totally gets in the way of the story line (what there is of it) and thereby discourages all but the most hard core combat fanatics.

All I can say is: "NAUGHTY, NAUGHTY DOG!"

I bought this on PSN and sure wish I had my money back so I could use it to search for something else as pleasurable as the Uncharted series. Those I enjoyed. This, however, marks my split from the Naugthy Dog family. They are going to have to do something unbelievable to ever get another dime out of me.
  18. Jan 18, 2014
    The Last of Us has a good story but that's all that's good about it. The stealth mechanics were poorly executed and the fact that you must often kill enemies and their near sightedness renders them obsolete. The overly common checkpoints take away most of the challenge and tension and that mixed with the fact you must often kill enemies to progress makes it feel less like a survival game.The Last of Us has a good story but that's all that's good about it. The stealth mechanics were poorly executed and the fact that you must often kill enemies and their near sightedness renders them obsolete. The overly common checkpoints take away most of the challenge and tension and that mixed with the fact you must often kill enemies to progress makes it feel less like a survival game. The enemy AI is rather bad and the companion AI is never helpful. The plot is cliché and uninteresting and the supporting characters are annoying. There is a few bugs most notably one that deletes your saved game. The multiplayer is low on content with only the standard deathmatch and team deathmatch. Deathmatch can easily turn into hide and seek and team deathmatch is decent but nothing noteworthy. Naughty Dog needs to learn that a game needs more than story. Expand
  19. Aug 20, 2013
    Boring, linear. Just another scripted action game. No challenges. I expected much more from a game with such high praises. Once again it's clear that the review industry has no clue about what the gamer really wants.
  20. Aug 9, 2013
    What makes this not a great game The controls are very unintuitive any time I want to run, or use a medical kit, or just stop the character from crouching (which he seems to want to do all the time), I basically have to consult the manual. This is frustrating since the game is very focused on lots of action. Too much action, and too many enemies. Something like Silent Hill would haveWhat makes this not a great game The controls are very unintuitive any time I want to run, or use a medical kit, or just stop the character from crouching (which he seems to want to do all the time), I basically have to consult the manual. This is frustrating since the game is very focused on lots of action. Too much action, and too many enemies. Something like Silent Hill would have been great, just exploring creepy places, but this feels like I'm battling through a Die Hard movie.
    These kinds of games, with lots of difficult action where you have to replay the same scene 10+ times, were fine for the 80s, but I had hoped we left those masochistic days behind us. Occasionally I get a rude reminder like this, when all Im looking for is a few hours on a horror movie set.
  21. Jun 23, 2013
    I had a lukewarm feeling about this game after seeing gameplay videos leading up to the release, but I bought it anyway based on all the glowing reviews. The story is very well done, but the gameplay is just not fun and repetitive. The world seems very believable, but I just wanted to get to the next level for the story alone, not because I was enjoying play it. All in all, an averageI had a lukewarm feeling about this game after seeing gameplay videos leading up to the release, but I bought it anyway based on all the glowing reviews. The story is very well done, but the gameplay is just not fun and repetitive. The world seems very believable, but I just wanted to get to the next level for the story alone, not because I was enjoying play it. All in all, an average game, and I really am mystified by the high user score. I would have expected 8.0 at best. I really loved the Uncharted series and I feel this is a step backwards. Expand
  22. Jun 24, 2013
    The visuals in this game are extremely refined. Top of their class. The gameplay is much less refined. It is essentially a stealth shooter and not a very good one. My immersion in the game was never very deep because the stealth mechanic was so unconvincingly executed. All enemies are either sensitive to line of sight or the sound of YOUR foot steps or gunshots. How the enemy would knowThe visuals in this game are extremely refined. Top of their class. The gameplay is much less refined. It is essentially a stealth shooter and not a very good one. My immersion in the game was never very deep because the stealth mechanic was so unconvincingly executed. All enemies are either sensitive to line of sight or the sound of YOUR foot steps or gunshots. How the enemy would know the difference between the foot steps or gunshots of an ally or an enemy isn't explored, but it is of little consequence as nearly every OTHER sound is ignored. Grunts, stabs, clangs, clinks, your allies talking, whistling or yelling. Hell, the enemies don't even see your allies stumbling at their own feet. Also, enemies have infinite ammo, until they die. Then they rarely drop weapons or ammo, and even more rarely of the type they were using to attack you. The seeing-by-sound system was buggy and sometimes failed to show close enemies or report them in the correct direction. The story could use more development. The focus is on character relationships, but unfortunately I was never convinced to be on the side of the character that I played. I didn't agree with his values or judgement and did not want him to succeed while exhibiting those values. There are NO better looking games from this generation, but there are many better games. Expand
  23. Oct 27, 2014
    It's okay. The AI is pretty terrible, upon a second play through the scripted events remove the enjoyment from the first play through. The character interaction is decent, the music is good, the plot is okay. It's nothing special, but for a Triple-A game it's definitely better than most.
  24. Jul 31, 2013
    I'm probably not that far into the game. I'm only in Lincoln High School trying to fight the first big boss. I can tell this game is going to be one I'll probably finish but already I know it's not the TEN everyone keeps raving about. OK, I'm into the main two characters, I feel the emotional bond growing, that's cool. But the zombie fighting is just frustrating and unrewarding. I finallyI'm probably not that far into the game. I'm only in Lincoln High School trying to fight the first big boss. I can tell this game is going to be one I'll probably finish but already I know it's not the TEN everyone keeps raving about. OK, I'm into the main two characters, I feel the emotional bond growing, that's cool. But the zombie fighting is just frustrating and unrewarding. I finally have a shotgun and thank goodness because the pistols barely even stun anything and your lead pipes break after about eight hits. OK, since when does a lead pipe break precisely after eight hits? It's a lead pipe for crying out loud. You can slam it against concrete a million times and it wouldn't break. And you can't aim your weapons worth crap. This guy, for twenty years, has been surviving the zombie apocalypse and he still can't aim a stupid rifle, waving it all over the place as crazed zombies straight out of 28 Days Later come rushing at him? Really? And even with the shotgun, which you don't need to aim precisely, what does that help when five of them are rushing at you from all angles? So you fight, you die, you start over, you die, you start over, you die, and so forth until you are finally lucky enough to pick them all off not by any real strategy mind you, just because you got a little lucky. The scavenging is pretty boring. The workbenches are so far and few in-between it's pathetic. The crawling through hallways, climbing up ladders, running across planks gets old pretty quickly. And everything is so dark. You have to use your flashlight at least half the time and that actually gets a bit nauseating as if your swirling around on a carnival ride. So, although the graphics are way cool, and the characters are likeable, and the plot is engaging even if it's derivative, there's just too much senseless wandering around, searching for the limited scavenger items available, and extremely frustrating battles with things that will tear your neck out while you're trying to reload your stupid gun or switch guns which takes like ten seconds or heal which takes several seconds and the controls are so complicated it's extremely difficult to remember what buttons you are suppose to be pressing while a swarm of crazed zombies are rushing at you from all sides. This game is good but it does have a lot of flaws. Expand
  25. Jun 17, 2013
    THINGS I LIKED about the game:

*Awesome Graphics *voice acting is top of the line and much better than any other game out. *the idea of choosing to engage in fierce battles or keep it stealthy and quiet is great *the C.G is fantastic and emotional *controls are easy *love the display of post apocalyptic world *story line caught my attention very well THINGS I HATED about the
    THINGS I LIKED about the game:

*Awesome Graphics
    *voice acting is top of the line and much better than any other game out.
    *the C.G is fantastic and emotional
    *controls are easy
    *love the display of post apocalyptic world
    *story line caught my attention very well

THINGS I HATED about the game:

*too linear, no free environments, no free world, no open maps and side jobs.
    *you can not pick up weapons from bodies you just killed
    *if there was 10 enemies and you killed 5 and then got killed, you start the game with the remaining 5 and NOT all 10 enemies, which makes it stupid and easy to overcome obstacles.
    * there isn't a true value of survival. when you die, you start at the nearest checkpoint, which is never far from where you died.. it makes the player kinda careless about dying many times.
    * A.I is dumb, so many times my companions decide to run off on their own while i'm trying to sneak past clickers or hunters and get me exposed.
    *it get repetitious at times and feels you're doing the same stuff over and over.
  26. Jun 16, 2013
    This game, like all games, has its faults. Whether it's the save game messing up, having to find a ladder every 15 minutes. The Last of Us is a story that all of the other great stories will have to be compared to. The Stealth of this game is by far one of the best of any game. Their are very few choices but they are there, throughout the whole game you have a major choice. Are you goingThis game, like all games, has its faults. Whether it's the save game messing up, having to find a ladder every 15 minutes. The Last of Us is a story that all of the other great stories will have to be compared to. The Stealth of this game is by far one of the best of any game. Their are very few choices but they are there, throughout the whole game you have a major choice. Are you going to play stealthily or run in guns blazing. Expand
  27. Jun 27, 2013
    This game is hands down the best thing I have played in a long time. It had me more emotionally invested than I thought i could ever be in a game. You really feel the characters. Stories in games can sometimes be overdone or not realistic. And sometimes the animation doesn't live up to standards. But this game has everything. Literally, everything.
  28. Aug 7, 2013
    This is my favorite game this generation and possibly my best game ever as it's storytelling is excellent, voice acting is superb, graphics are extremely good, and the characters are very well made.Get this game now it may become your favorite too
  29. Oct 22, 2013
    A good game, but probably would've made a better movie...
    Not a lot of detail needs to go into the pros and cons of this one.
    PROS: +The story. The story is at par in my opinion as one of the greatest stories ever told by a video game. +The characters. The main characters are real; they are morally questionable but overall lovable, and the villains are hateful disgusting people who you
    A good game, but probably would've made a better movie...
    Not a lot of detail needs to go into the pros and cons of this one.
    PROS:
    +The characters. The main characters are real; they are morally questionable but overall lovable, and the villains are hateful disgusting people who you wish nothing but ill will upon.
    CONS:
    -Rather predictable; you know who is going to die the second you lay eyes on the poor sucker.
    -Doesn't tell you where to go so you'll be stumbling in the dark for longer than you should.
    -Some points can seem repetitive like a lot of story only games.
  30. Oct 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I bought a PS3 for this game. I watched the E3 video and a gameplay video of the intro. Such immersive beauty! Just before the titles, I pressed pause and went to buy a console.
    I expected a mature game of explorations, ingaging strategic combat, an original and fullfilling storyline all tied together with a smart gameplay. I was very disappointed and that's why:
    - The story is not well written, but i don't want to spoiler this in case someone will play the game anyway.
    - The intro is misleading, the rest of the game will not see the plot develop while you're playing. It goes like this: you enter an area, you kill the dumb enemies, reach a certain point cutscene next area. Every area has a patethic excuse to reach the next (like, "hey i need a car, so let's walk across a block full of infected to find a car battery"), after a while you wont even remember why you're escorting a little brat and where.
    - Exploration is absolutely linear (non existent). You cross a lot of cities, but every gate, every stair ramp, every door is closed but the ones you have to take. If a room is open it means that that's your path or a little decoy to refill your ammo/health/powerups. This is not well hided, there are no tricks to make the world seem continuous. You WILL see a door just closed as any other and no way to try to open it or you will climb a ramp of stairs to find a wall of junk that doesn't let you pass. Sometimes you simply wander like an idiot trying to find the hole you have to climb in. Sometimes you will have to push a little cart, move a stairs or push your friend over an edge to reach the next area. But there's no brainer here, you just have to push a button and the trick is always the same.
    - This is a combat game, don't be fooled. You enter an area, there will always be obvious placed repairs to hide, the enemies will ALWAYS be alert and patroling (no immersion here, every zone is a tactical zone) you can cross them while they're talking but after some useless dialogue lines they will patrol again, even in some remote zone of the world (this to make you understand that there's ZERO immersion in this fictional world, every level is a tactical level). It doesn't matter if you've mastered every FPS, military tactical or stealth game since doom: you will die, a lot. The patrol will always walk towards you, even if you're in the dark behind a counter, they will take 3 gunshots from a little distance and still have the strenght to hit you with a crowbar and god the zombies are dumb. Ammo should be rare but they will drop from enemies proportionally to your usage and your partner will refill you (with med kits too). The glorious animations that made us tremble in hype from the E3 trailer will quickly become boring.

This is a truly overrated game. I can't understand why people are praising it, every aspect is mediocre (graphics are good, but not THAT good). There are tons of masterpieces waiting to be played out there, i'm playing games since 1990 and this title will be forgotten very soon.
  31. Jul 5, 2013
    This game is not as good as Sony wants us to believe.

It starts good, but it's formula wears out pretty fast. The dialogs looks like if were made by someone that can't articulate five words in a sentence, and comparing it to Uncharted 1, I find it Uncharted quite superior.
  32. Jun 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Last of Us is one of the best movies I've ever seen. It's gritty and heartfelt and perfectly acted and eerily beautiful and all the other stuff all the 10/10 reviews say.

But why is it being sold as a game?? I'm not sure you can call it a game at all.

The one (and only) thing a game can offer, that a movie can't, is choice. It can put you in situations you've never been in before to let you explore your own psychology. It can offer you power, or joy, or terror, with the illusion that you are actually inhabiting, not just watching, a character.

Joel makes the choice of a lifetime in the last act of the game. The entire world is broken. People are dying and suffering. It's not clear whether humanity is looking at an extinction level event. And he can personally fix it all. He can go down as humanity's Messiah. But to do that, he has to sacrifice the person he loves most in the world, the girl who's become a daughter to him. The little girl who loves him and trusts him unconditionally, he has to betray her and sign off on her murder.

If this were a Bioware game or a Bethesda game, we'd be forced to make that agonizing choice. There would be consequences to our decisions; there would be multiple endings; there would be different ways the story could unfold, based on how we shape it.

In The Last of Us, we just watch passively, helplessly, as Joel makes his decision. The game tells us "And then Joel shot the guard in the balls. Here's a hallway full of soldiers. Clear it."

That is not a game. That's like... being in a Skinner Box, where your reward is cutscenes rather than cheese. This is a movie that keeps putting itself on pause and saying "Want to see more? Well, then, go swim underwater and find a pallet and shove it over to Ellie and shove it against the wall!" It's no fun at all to do that, but we dutifully perform the task because we want to see the rest of the movie.

So... why not just make it a movie? Why make a digital Ellen Page in the first place? Was the real one just not available?

Sure, there are Skinner Box sections that are actually kind of fun to clear. The infected are really no fun at all to deal with, but the fights with the hunters, with the cannibals, those are fun. But they're not groundbreaking in any way. As a hybrid stealth/action shooter, I'm going to say that I think Metal Gear Solid 3 plays significantly better. Joel always feels heavy, clumsy, sluggish. Snake's more fun to play with. And MGS3 was nine years ago.

You know, I think that picking the right media for your art is important. If a movie came out in theaters that's just an hour of watching a masterpiece of a painting while an incredible concept album played in the background critics would universally pan it. They'd say "This is a painting and an album. One star."

So why is it that when a game comes out that's actually just a movie, critics respond with universal acclaim?? I don't get it.
  33. Nov 8, 2013
    Was disappointing. The game had so much great talk on how mazing it was said to be but I just don't see it the gameplay was okay the graphics were decent and the characters were good I just don't see the game as so good.
  34. Jul 11, 2013
    This game promises a lot and delivers little. Shallow gameplay, linear experience, boring and repetitive combats, poor exploration, and disappointing story. It is extremely overrated over the media, and it's a sign of our times. The gaming industry took a road of expensive and gorgeous games with poor gameplay and/or lack of exploration. This game is a result. The gaming-journalism took aThis game promises a lot and delivers little. Shallow gameplay, linear experience, boring and repetitive combats, poor exploration, and disappointing story. It is extremely overrated over the media, and it's a sign of our times. The gaming industry took a road of expensive and gorgeous games with poor gameplay and/or lack of exploration. This game is a result. The gaming-journalism took a road of hyping ad infinitum games before their release, and giving incredibly inflated scores once they're barely out. These reviews are the result. Where the monkey goes the ass- follows: Blind gamers will praise this. Don't be fooled: it's bad. Expand
  35. Jun 23, 2013
    gamer usually about games having too much story lines, the Last of Us is 100% a good example of this category. It is just a very typical third person shooting adventure game with stupid AI and boring linear settings. It is just overrated. I would give it a 6/10 the MAX.
  36. Feb 18, 2014
    As many of you know this a naught dog production, the same developers which produced the stellar uncharted series. It is set in a future post-apolyptic desolate setting of america and is based round a few key and vital characters. The story is about survival and gathering resources for your character to use in crafting aid items, weapon upgrades etc. The game is linear in nature howeverAs many of you know this a naught dog production, the same developers which produced the stellar uncharted series. It is set in a future post-apolyptic desolate setting of america and is based round a few key and vital characters. The story is about survival and gathering resources for your character to use in crafting aid items, weapon upgrades etc. The game is linear in nature however not that it detracts from its special cinematic sequences or it's beautiful yet eerie setting, plus there is subtle player choice to be had in naughty dog's latest outing say upgrading your weapons, crafting molotovs and first aid items like in rage the video game, very similar. The main aspects of the last of us is its realistic and wonderful graphics, stellar voice acting/animation and the feeling that grips you tight of how close you get to the two main characters in the game. There is certainly a emotional link to them throughout your adventure, and in time it will only grow. the combat system in the game is for the most part very smooth and fluid-like, you can sprint, jog, vault, take cover, sneak etc which all helps to take out your enemies in a stealthy manner or in a brutal, satisfying way. The game does from a story point of view pulls you right in and doesn't let go. It is a mix of survival horror/action adventure with both elements ever so subtle and seamless in their exchange. The aiming in the game is quite bothersome and has a lot of natural sway on the reticle, which can be reduced slightly by finding supplements and herbs to upgrade it with. The level design in the game is top notch, It is very diverse and with that allows you utter freedom to play the game how you want. The story line is very simple but expertly well done. And the ending in my opinion is truly satisfying and well scripted. The attention to detail with the graphics is outstanding, everything is so ironically full of life and colour, the water effects excel with everything i have ever seen. I do however have some minor gripes, but due to being so minor that they do not affect my final score, but there are infrequent graphical bugs, with items disappearing and entire parts of the game as well, but there are seldom seen and only last barely a second. And you can only alter the sensitivity of both analog sticks rather than individually change them. Also the cover mechanic is automated and sometimes you simply cannot stick to a certain wall and on occasion has given my position away. And i do also wish the survival skill system was more abundant in which you had more choice on given gameplay aspects like vaulting and running speed, melee moves, etc. The enemies are fantastic within the game and choose random paths, are quite perceptive and just generally fun to take out. The game has a multiplayer mode which has several modes and about 11 maps, the survival skills, crafting system, weapons, and gameplay mechanics are borrowed from the campaign, which is a good thing. It always for a slow paced and tense experience, certain mechanics are tweaked to allow for a more smoother and balanced play. And is generally a lot of fun, and the one of few multiplayers in which i have enjoyed and dedicated a lot of my time to. But with all the praise, the main reason i love this game is the colourful cast of characters and the emotionally driven storyline. Its a pure gem of a game and one that ill be playing for some years, a masterpiece. Expand
  37. Jun 27, 2013
    I have played the single player about 2 and a half times and not a second of got boring or repetitive. Great story, great graphics, great gameplay and solid AI. The multiplayer adds a good bonus to keep you playing and it in itself is unique. Their are very minor flaws such as AI sometimes break out of character but those quickly become an afterthought as the story will suck you back in.I have played the single player about 2 and a half times and not a second of got boring or repetitive. Great story, great graphics, great gameplay and solid AI. The multiplayer adds a good bonus to keep you playing and it in itself is unique. Their are very minor flaws such as AI sometimes break out of character but those quickly become an afterthought as the story will suck you back in. Totally worth $60 Expand
  38. Jun 18, 2013
    It's the same as Uncharted except no swinging from ledges and no rolling out of the way. Graphics are as good as you'll see on PS3 but stages lack interactivity. Crafting is an interesting addition and translates well into the online multiplayer, which is good but overall it's the same team deathmatch setup you see in nearly every shooter these days.

My main problem is the way the story

My main problem is the way the story is forced on you. You can skip some cutscenes, but it takes four button presses to do so. Some sections require player input but all you do is walk forward slowly and maybe press a button to progress the story. This isn't so bad on your first play through but feels like torture on a second when you know what's going to happen but can't change it.

It's a perfectly playable third person shooter if that's what your looking for. Stealth is handled well I suppose. Human enemy AI impresses with them flanking you intelligently. Shooting is satisfying enough and projectile weapons such as nail bombs are fun.

The Last of Us tries to take on the likes of Resident Evil 4 and Dead Space but comes off third best.
  39. Jun 23, 2013
    God damn it, The Last of Us™ is not only criminally overrated, but an actively bad game. The plot is bereft of any innovation, and is advanced only by long, LONG cutscenes which lead to MASSIVE 'cinematic' walking/running from point A to point B, stopping only to shift the occasional ladder or mash buttons in unfun quicktime events. This part of the gameplay (which essentially amounts toGod damn it, The Last of Us™ is not only criminally overrated, but an actively bad game. The plot is bereft of any innovation, and is advanced only by long, LONG cutscenes which lead to MASSIVE 'cinematic' walking/running from point A to point B, stopping only to shift the occasional ladder or mash buttons in unfun quicktime events. This part of the gameplay (which essentially amounts to poorly rendered cutscenes and is obvious filler) is only broken up by further cutscenes or sudden outbreaks of chest-high walls, which precipitate another tedious bout of the game's stiff, unresponsive and awkward third-person shooter aspect.

Do you see all the perfect scores this overblown, poorly designed travesty got? RIP gaming journalism. If you know anyone that considers this game more than a 5 out of 10, put them down. The infection has already taken their mind, and you're doing them a mercy they don't deserve.
  40. Jul 16, 2013
    I'm sorry, but this game was incredibly boring. Yes, the intro was lively & interesting, but that doesn't justify the rest of the game being a snoozefest. As "open world" as this game had the potential to be and seems like it should be, it isn't. Even if you explore every nook & cranny that's available, there isn't anything for you to find past duct tape or maybe a couple of bullets.I'm sorry, but this game was incredibly boring. Yes, the intro was lively & interesting, but that doesn't justify the rest of the game being a snoozefest. As "open world" as this game had the potential to be and seems like it should be, it isn't. Even if you explore every nook & cranny that's available, there isn't anything for you to find past duct tape or maybe a couple of bullets. Even the crafting options leave much to be desired.

If this game had music past the intro, I didn't notice it.
  41. Jun 26, 2013
    Meta scores for critic reviews doesn't mean anything, but when 90% of the people here are saying o its great its the best game ever, its revolutionary. I have a few words for you, its none of the above. I have been playing games since i was 4(NES days) and I have played a lot of games, this is not one of the best its un original, and gets monotonous fast.

Let's go over the negatives

Let's go over the negatives since there are clearly more negatives:(positives mixed in since there aren't a lot of them)
    1) this game took bits and pieces of many games, including tomb raider, of course uncharted, zelda, and mainly survival horror, and mainly RE(resident evil). So how do you take a mesh of those games and make something terrible out of it.

1) gameplay the gameplay feels very stiff, and unorganized, why should i have to hit 3 different buttons just to heal and switch weapons. On top of that if you dont upgrade your holster it virutally makes it impossible toward the end to be a good shot, not like you shoot much anyways because you'll die.
    Which brings me to the next point why do you even have a gun system if the rules of the game penalize you for it unless you're playing on easy. As being a developer myself this completely boggled my mind, why is it on normal you really don't take that much more damage from enemies, than playing on hard especially snipers and clickers. I think the sense system is weak, especially towards the end of the game where theres enemies everywhere and then you run into them because you can't see them even at level 3 maxed out.
    The worst part about the gameplay altogether has no replay value unlike crash bandicoot and uncharted series, just a complete let down gameplay wise. The final note here would be theres absolutely no character development until about halfway through the game, and even still the characters have no personality, there just swearing the whole time

2) Sound there nothing i can say except it had the most unbalanced sfx ever. You shoot your gun or throw a nail grenade, or molotov the sounds is sooooo loud, yet you can't hear the characters talking, thats flat out obnoxious and annoying. my biggest crack down on the sound is if you're not near a conversation and hunting down parts to upgrade Joel never responds to the questions askled by the other cast of characters, which helps develop character.

3) Final results: this game failed to incorporate the other ideas it took from other games to make it there own, you can't live vicariously through any of the characters. The sound efffects are just flat out annoying, they didnt develop a new shooting system even though they call it original and amazing. I t was good for uncharted but not for this game. The idea of the game is good, the world is decaying and there might be hope left(thumbs up there)

for these reasons, i cant comprehend why people love this game,, especially since a lot of the perfect 10 scores basically all same the thing as the critics do, who don't criticize games the way they use to. Because we live in a society where we don't want confrontation anymore because we are afraid to get burned. This is a perfect example, the most overhyped terrible game I have ever played in the last 13 years
    Also everyone is like its a perfect game, if you think there is such thing is a perfect game/application you're sorely mistaken. I personally disliked this game so much that i hope Gta V wins Goty, thats how bad i think this game was. I t had an original idea they just weren't implemented correctly, like most modern games. One final note everyone says the cut scenes are amazing, If you have played any Final Fantasy game in the last 13 years, it blows last of us out of the water.. very disappointing game.
  42. Jun 26, 2013
    This game is a tough game to review. It seemed simple for "professional" reviewers to go and give perfect scores. I can't.

I understand why people like this game. I get the whole emotional angle Naughty Dog is trying to sell. But my experience although good taken as a whole was at times so bad I almost didn't finish the game. Number 1: The combat sucks. It is just a stupid 3rd person

Number 1: The combat sucks. It is just a stupid 3rd person shooter with crafting and RPG elements. Occasionally stealth is involved. There are moments perfectly crafted with great pacing and great balance of gameplay and set pieces. Than there are stupid moments. Teleporting zombies, human enemies that flank you no matter where you are(they go through walls apparently). Sadly these moments are not rare and for every good combat gameplay piece there is a stupidly broken one. Maybe it's just the way I played. I don't know, if you enjoy this type of BS or don't really care you will have a better experience. To me the gameplay feels like a filler between emotional cut scenes and set pieces. And that's bad. Also BOSS FIGTS. For the love of God. BOSS FIGHTS.

Number 2: The story is at best OK. They chose a fungus as the reason for the zombie apocalypse and than they go nowhere with it. Every single character that dies, dies because of zombie bites. You know, that cliché. Where they get bit and they hide it. It happens twice because once was not enough. Also the writing is mind blowing bad. "We've got to get out of here" and it's many variants are used constantly along with all the other cliché lines Hollywood has been using for years. The ending is stupid also but I will not spoil it for you(there really is nothing to spoil).

Number 3: Even with all these game breaking flaws I enjoyed the game enough to finish it. So I gave it a 7/10 because emotional cut scenes aside there's just nothing here. You can just watch the cut scenes on youtube and get the best this game has to offer without the unremarkable gameplay.
  43. Jun 16, 2013
    While, not a game for everyone, the Last of Us immerses you in its atmosphere so well that you feel you are right there in this apocalyptic zombie future. The motion capture, subtle emotion, and voice work are all top notch and the best I've ever seen/heard. Also, the vastness of space combined with the amount of detail in this game is jaw dropping. At times, I was so immersed I forgot IWhile, not a game for everyone, the Last of Us immerses you in its atmosphere so well that you feel you are right there in this apocalyptic zombie future. The motion capture, subtle emotion, and voice work are all top notch and the best I've ever seen/heard. Also, the vastness of space combined with the amount of detail in this game is jaw dropping. At times, I was so immersed I forgot I was watching a video game and felt like I was watching real people trek through a journey of survival. I think the overall gameplay experience will be a love it or hate it. Like some games that focus solely on action combat, this game focuses solely on survival combat. Theres not a lot of variety between core gameplay mechanics. Its always either stealth, survival combat, or environmental traversal. So if you love those mechanics, you'll love this game, but if you wish for something more, this game may not satisfy you completely. Also, this is not really a horror game, its a survival game. It not scary in the sense that when you see a monster you are horrified by its look and sound, its horrifying in the sense of hopelessness the present world evokes. Its horrifying to see how people now interact with each other because of this hopelessness in the world. The reason I didn't give the game a 10 was the survival of the main characters at times seemed so far fetched and forced to keep the story going. While I know this is just a "game" and pretty much every game does this, I think it stood out more in this game because everything else was so much more immersive. Also, the core gameplay wasn't my cup of tea. Overall tho, I enjoyed Naughty Dog's unique take on the zombie videogame genre. Expand
  44. Jul 4, 2013
    Can i give it 10 twice? I wish i could, because that's what this Masterpiece deserves! Few times in my life i was so engaged in a story, this script tops enven Walking Dead from telltale, it's awesome, the gameplay is so well polished, this for sure is the Game of Generation!
  45. Jun 20, 2013
    I bought the game to see what the hype was all about.

CONS: Controls can be a little stiff and can be comparable to Resident Evil games. The controls are not anything like moving Nathan Drake around in the Uncharted series. (also made by Naughty Dog) PROS: Engaging Story, great graphics, and textures. Some scenes are sad and depressing but part of being entertained is having an
    I bought the game to see what the hype was all about.

PROS: Engaging Story, great graphics, and textures. Some scenes are sad and depressing but part of being entertained is having an emotional response. There is interesting dialogue between Joel and Ellie.

Bottom Line: You will keep playing this game because of the story, not because the melee or shooting was fun.
  46. Jun 29, 2013
    Really surprised by the good reception that this game has. It's barely a game, boring repetitive TPS gunplay with familiar enemy design. Those so called survival elements could easily be done in all games by simply limiting recourses in all other games. While they achieve this, they sacrifice all features that make a game fun, side missions, complex and varied levels, dynamic storiesReally surprised by the good reception that this game has. It's barely a game, boring repetitive TPS gunplay with familiar enemy design. Those so called survival elements could easily be done in all games by simply limiting recourses in all other games. While they achieve this, they sacrifice all features that make a game fun, side missions, complex and varied levels, dynamic stories choices, Also, the story is solid but there is no resolution at all in the last 30 mins, it's so predictable and badly done, Clearly preparing for more cash grab story dlcs. The atmosphere is great at times but jaggies and poor texture resolution prevent it to be perfect. However, the game has great animation details in combat, crafting, looting, walking, running etc. Detailed facial animation also helped characters to shine in cutscenes. It also has a functional MP that adds on replayability but I'm not an MP guy so it does little for me. Overall, it's a decent movie stuck in a slightly above average game 7/10 Expand
  47. Sep 27, 2013
    Was top contender for GOTY until gta 5 crushed it's hopes. Just unlucky timing ND. And honestly the story isn't anything new. Father loses his daughter, grows colder, finds another little girl, cold to her at first, grows attached to her, eventually sees her as his own... Basically a polished God of War 3 relationship between Kratos and Pandora. Js
  48. Aug 18, 2014
    The content of this game is great 10 out of 10. The gameplay is challenging and you have to use your brain for good strategy. The only problem is I beat it in about 25hrs or 1 weekend. I was not able to max out any of my weapon upgrades or health upgrades. I spent a lot of time searching rooms and drawers too. I would say I probably searched at least 90% or the areas so its not like I justThe content of this game is great 10 out of 10. The gameplay is challenging and you have to use your brain for good strategy. The only problem is I beat it in about 25hrs or 1 weekend. I was not able to max out any of my weapon upgrades or health upgrades. I spent a lot of time searching rooms and drawers too. I would say I probably searched at least 90% or the areas so its not like I just ran through it. I spent about $40 on it so I am a little disappointed. These types of games are fun but they are not made to repeat over and over. So basically I am done with it. Expand
  49. Dec 4, 2013
    The last (game for me). Disappointing at the point do need to kill David, he had a teletransporter impossible to knife the third time. Graphically is beautiful the best for the ps3 but the gameplay is boring, I kill 90% guys 10% infected. A splinter cell whit sometime zombies (a don't like this game to).
  50. Jun 24, 2013
    This game is pretty. That's the best part. Story is ok for modern story telling and especially anything zombie related. Those are the best parts of the game. First disappointing thing I came across was how limiting, linear and predictable environments are. There are no alternative paths. The largest freedom you get is how you stealth around a small room to dispose all the zombies. SinceThis game is pretty. That's the best part. Story is ok for modern story telling and especially anything zombie related. Those are the best parts of the game. First disappointing thing I came across was how limiting, linear and predictable environments are. There are no alternative paths. The largest freedom you get is how you stealth around a small room to dispose all the zombies. Since some of the zombies one shot you (which is good), there is no way to just gun through them (maybe i am just a terrible gamer). Another disappointing thing is your little girl buddy. She is not detected by the enemies, so while you are painfully stealthing around she just runs around with the flash light on... right through the zombies. Breaks any submersion. I love zombies, I loved Dishonored, Thief, Deus Ex, Hitman, but this doesn't even come close. I wish this game gave you ability to scope out the area from the distance, gave you a chance to plan your attack (stealth or brute force) and then execute it using available resources or your favorite way, this game has none of that. Expand
  51. Jun 29, 2013
    I give this game a 1 because I haven't been able to finish it due to the fact that it's been released broken. I've bought two copies of this game & both get stuck at the same point. I've gone to the forums & have seen I'm not the only one. Naughty Dog needs to patch this game.

Also what I have played while decent I must say the AI in this game is the worse AI I have ever seen in my life in gaming,
  52. Jun 20, 2013
    Oh boy, where do I get started with such a game? I'm going to be completely honest I really don't understand the hype that was created with this game. It's basically like they took Uncharted, took the worst part from the game (the really useless stealth mechanics), and then made a whole game from it. Why is this game so hyped? I want to say that the hype was created for ONE SOLE REASON,Oh boy, where do I get started with such a game? I'm going to be completely honest I really don't understand the hype that was created with this game. It's basically like they took Uncharted, took the worst part from the game (the really useless stealth mechanics), and then made a whole game from it. Why is this game so hyped? I want to say that the hype was created for ONE SOLE REASON, zombies... but that's not really true (see War Z for proof that zombies aren't that a guaranteed success). The real reason Is the fact that they are Naughty Dog and they can do whatever the hell they want and sell and game. No on to the topic of the actual game. First off, the characters, which some people I'm sure find "deep" are actually extremely cliché, stereotypical and basically reprinted versions of characters from about a million other films/games. Seriously the characters' "bonds" between are about as deep as a dried up puddle. Second of all, the game itself is really lacking in the actual mechanical department. All you do is walk around slowly and be an edgy goober with your little prick girl sidekick who can't stop swearing. I mean seriously? Is it that fun to strangle a million zombies? If you think so then good for you, but honestly I got tired of seeing that animation after about the 300th time. Third and finally, the games graphics look they came out of the rear of a donkey, relatively of course, it's nice for a console, but seriously? Have you guys ever played a pc game fully maxed out? It's nothing like the BEST GRAPHICS IN WORLD HURR DURRR stuff I have been hearing, it's honestly pretty mediocre and just over filtered (to make the world seem EDGY). Well this is my rant, it's a generic, boring zombie game, with addition of some lame characters, what more could you want? Expand
  53. Jun 29, 2013
    I loved this game until I was thrown into the woods and saw an arrow go through a baby bunny. And then I had to kill a deer. Sigh. Everything up until that point was excellent. Production values were amazing. Stealth was a blast. The crafting system felt rewarding. And the dialogue between the two main characters was more deep than anything I've experienced in a game before.
  54. Oct 16, 2013
    A good attempt by Naughty Dog but this game left me wanting more. The character relationships felt forced and unnatural while the game play is often boring. I enjoyed the overall story and the ending but getting there felt like a slog. Many of the action sequences are redundant and the game doesn't do much that hasn't been done before. Even some of the more tense sequences had a very "beenA good attempt by Naughty Dog but this game left me wanting more. The character relationships felt forced and unnatural while the game play is often boring. I enjoyed the overall story and the ending but getting there felt like a slog. Many of the action sequences are redundant and the game doesn't do much that hasn't been done before. Even some of the more tense sequences had a very "been there, done that" feel to them. The puzzles are very easy and almost feel unnecessary in that way. If you are going to include puzzles, at least make the fun and interesting to solve. The scavenging and crafting make sense and fit well in a survival game like this but the system could have been fleshed out a lot more. Finding half broken scissors to build shivs and shrapnel bombs loses it's effect after the 100th time you do it. The graphics are great for a current gen game and the cinematics are integrated well. I tried the multiplayer and it was actually pretty good but probably won't become your new staple anytime soon. Expand
  55. Jun 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pros:The technology,graphics/physics is like a half PS4 game,Pro logic 2 support!.Story,Joel..
    Cons:The ending is a cliffhanger and there will be a trilogy again...i never gonna understand why need to make every game a trilogy!? This is a true masterpice and masterpice games do not need idiot sequels.
    im dissapointed in Naughty Dog because they said this: No sequel planned for The Last of Us
  56. Aug 31, 2013
    seriously? the universal praise on this is baffling. great story and visuals crippled by cheap play mechanic one hit kills. no thank you. keep your boxy, repetitive environments. this is little more than pac man hiding under layers of sheen (stunted, grim, cliched post apocalyptic sheen)
  57. Jun 22, 2013
    Instead of laying out a long summary of the game let's stick to Pros and Cons

Pros: Good Graphics Good voice acting Cons: Generic Gameplay & Copy (Identical to Uncharted) Short Predictable Story (Also less immersive than others like The Walking Dead) A lesser copy of Cormac McCarthy's 'The Road' (Lacking Originality) Poor tacked on multiplayer This is one of the many games
    Instead of laying out a long summary of the game let's stick to Pros and Cons

Pros: Good Graphics
    Good voice acting

Cons: Generic Gameplay & Copy (Identical to Uncharted)
    Short Predictable Story (Also less immersive than others like The Walking Dead)
    A lesser copy of Cormac McCarthy's 'The Road' (Lacking Originality)
    Poor tacked on multiplayer

This is one of the many games that critics have wrongfully rated because of hype (Think GTA IV).
  58. Jun 18, 2013
    In my opinion, this game is incredibly overhyped. I'm thinking that it's mostly due to the summer lull and E3 excitement.

Let's keep it short: - Very linear gameplay - TERRIBLE AI (the amount of time I got discovered because my two "friendlies" are in the way is ridiculous) - Horrible "mega-glow-in-the-dark-zombie-mushroom" (a la Resident Evil) - Varying graphics (from pretty good,

Let's keep it short:
    - Very linear gameplay
    - Horrible "mega-glow-in-the-dark-zombie-mushroom" (a la Resident Evil)
    - Varying graphics (from pretty good, to damn awful)
    - For the amount of PR "push" they gave to the main character looking like Ellen page... well she doesn't look AT ALL like her in the actual game
    - Sometimes unclear as to what is the objective
    - Interesting intro/premise, quickly followed by pretty normal "we found the cure" type of scenario.

I'd give a 6. It's not bad, but it's far from great. It's deeply over-hyped.
  59. Jul 1, 2013
    I went into this game thinking that it was going to be at the very least pretty good given all the slobbering reviews and perfect scores from "professional reviewers" and the general public. But after playing it for a number of hours, I still haven't figured out what it is about this game that makes people think it deserves the accolades it's being given.

It's not a bad game, it's a

It's not a bad game, it's a good game. It's far from perfect, and it's FAR from the "game of the year" love fest that has been heaped upon it.

It took several hours of playing before I even started to care what happened to any of the characters, and was even glad one of them died so early. The repetitiveness of the game play was enough to bore me so much that I actually had to make myself continue to play it, just so I could try and get my $60 worth.

The AI is at times non existent. Many times my character would be hiding from an enemy, but the NPC character with me would be running around bumping into the enemies, but they wouldn't notice?!?

This is what I like to call a "rinse and repeat" game. You enter a "level", look for ammo, nuts and bolts, maybe a new weapon or a health kit, fight off a swarm of the same enemies, and then move on to the next level and do it all over again. And in between you are subjected to the emotional issues of each character and how they are trying not to get too close to each other for fear of losing someone they care about again. *Snore*

Like I said, not a bad game, it's a "good" game, but not even close to a game of the year candidate.
  60. Jun 23, 2013
    Uncharted meets The Walking Dead meets The Road. The Last of Us is a good game, but it is one undeserving of the 10/10 scores it's been getting. I read it being described as "The Citizen Kane of videogames"; if this is the best we can expect, the future does indeed look mediocre. Nothing revolutionary here. Writing is really good, the story is not original but it's very well delivered, itUncharted meets The Walking Dead meets The Road. The Last of Us is a good game, but it is one undeserving of the 10/10 scores it's been getting. I read it being described as "The Citizen Kane of videogames"; if this is the best we can expect, the future does indeed look mediocre. Nothing revolutionary here. Writing is really good, the story is not original but it's very well delivered, it makes you feel a strong connection to the main characters, voice acting is stunning and I've fallen in love with the amazing soundtrack. If it were a film, I'd have liked it more, but it's supposed to be a game, and that's where problems begin: repetitive, very repetitive, very very repetitive Uncharted-style gameplay (shoot, explore, shoot some more... whenever you see cover, you know what's about to come; once you're done with the enemies in the area, you know nobody will show up for a while and then it's the time to check every corner for a million pointless collectibles or to complete once again one of the three available puzzles without being disturbed), glitches and bugs that break the immersion in the most painful ways, stupid IA and linear progression. It's not a bad game, but it's far from the masterpiece hype has made us believe it to be Expand
  61. Sep 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really don't understand why this game gets so much praise, sure it's fun, but the characters and especially the ending is just so stupid! Sure, I get what's going on in the story, but it's all been said before, it's a zombie apocalypse, nothing special.
    As for the characters, I hated them all, Joel was boring, Ellie was close to make me care about her, but didn't really pull at any of my heartstrings.
    And now the part that gives the game such a low score: The ending.
    Okay, after killing thousands of innocent people, Joel gets Ellie (who is immune to the virus) to the Fireflies (the people who are working on a cure), when he realizes that giving Ellie to the Fireflies will end up killing her for the sake of humanity, he grabs an assault rifle and kills everyone in the hospital, and when the leader of the Fireflies tries to make him reason, he pulls a pistol out nowhere and shoots her! Why?! When they give you plenty of choices during the game, why don't we get a choice here?! I wanted to save humanity, but nope, the developers tried their best to make an unappealing story for me.
    And the very end is either a cliffhanger or doesn't make sense, because Joel asks Ellie to never speak of what happened, and end on Ellie saying "yes". So Joel got away with killing a bunch of innocent people? How stupid is that?!
    While I can see why people like this game, it's just not for me, call me a hipster, but it won't change the fact that I think this game was only average.
  62. Jun 15, 2013
    Very good graphics, story, sound & gameplay.

Why the low score? I played the game on release day and because Naughty Dog failed to set up their servers correctly I lost over 4 hours of gameplay due to the autosave bug. I've lost the desire to re play the four hours lost so soon after playing through it. My fault for expecting a working product on release! I'd recommend playing
    Very good graphics, story, sound & gameplay.

Why the low score?

I'd recommend playing offline in case Naughty Dog mess up again. If we could turn the auto save function off or putting the auto save issues aside then this review changes to a 9.
  63. Jun 22, 2013
    As a gamer who enjoys the idea of choice in games, I was expecting a much different storyline to most other zombie games and I came out disappointed, there is nothing extremely bad in terms of gameplay and story in this game, but there's nothing amazing either, it just results to too many genre cliches during the half, while the second half simply starts to drag the simple idea ofAs a gamer who enjoys the idea of choice in games, I was expecting a much different storyline to most other zombie games and I came out disappointed, there is nothing extremely bad in terms of gameplay and story in this game, but there's nothing amazing either, it just results to too many genre cliches during the half, while the second half simply starts to drag the simple idea of transporting someone from point A to point B, in the end, graphics are quite good, gameplay is average though puzzle solving and platforming sections are nearly exactly the same every time in a different area which is frustrating, another criticism I have is the ending, it left me speechless, but in the wrong way, I couldn't tell weather the game was good or bad after reaching the ending, which just felt like I went in an entire circle and happened abruptly, it wasn't a bad or good ending it was more like a stalemate in gaming, in the end, if you're looking for perfect. the first half-hour will be impressive, but the rest of the game, simply became an exercise or predictability, sudden and annoying combat and a story that tries to invest you emotionally, but worked more at the beginning then it did in the actual ending, in the end, I am waiting for the day when games like Spec Ops, The Walking Dead and the new Tomb Raider are combined properly without any problems and choice that affects the story, not just the combat, In the end, an overrated game, but not a bad one, the story intrigued me at the time despite predictability but ended horribly Expand
  64. Jun 16, 2013
    Having been affected by the AutoSave glitch I started off pretty much hating this game... Having to replay 7 hours on the trot makes a guy really pick out the things he dislikes about a game: camera is too close to Joal when sneaking, slightly heavy controls and cumbersome movement, too much repetition (go here fight these guys, go here fight these guys), the recycled soundtrack used overHaving been affected by the AutoSave glitch I started off pretty much hating this game... Having to replay 7 hours on the trot makes a guy really pick out the things he dislikes about a game: camera is too close to Joal when sneaking, slightly heavy controls and cumbersome movement, too much repetition (go here fight these guys, go here fight these guys), the recycled soundtrack used over and over in different tones...

However, once I caught up with my original play through I started warming to it again. I am seeing a lot of 10/10 scores for this game which leads me to suspect that professional games reviewers are a bit like sheep, with no-one daring to buck the trend... and whilst I don't think its a 10/10 game it is certainly VERY GOOD. The voice acting and animation are second to none and the visuals are very impressive. The sound effects are fitting and the music does occasionally change to a different track once in a while... I think the crafting system could have been much deeper and also the skills that you level up make little to no difference on the easier modes, so that could have done with tweaking...

I recently reviewed remember me on the Xbox... to me this game feels a lot like that did in the sense that something great was made but a masterpiece was possible. I love everything they did with the direction of this game... I just wanted even more (hunting for food, more craftable items, a deeper skill system...).

A must play game of this generation. Makes you wonder why we even need the XBOXONE and PS4...
  65. Dec 1, 2013
    The last of us is not just a game, it is also a masterpiece. Few producers can make a game with this graphics capability and great gamely. However, I found the story weak point of the game. The story is almost the same as most stories of zombie games. While there zombie games with similar stories, I never will evaluate the game with a score of 10.
  66. Jun 24, 2013
    I have finished the game earlier this week, since then I had some time to reflect about it.

After getting over my „fanboism“, cause I have been awaiting this game for quite a while, to look at it from a more neutral perspective, I must say that “The Last Of Us” is OVERRATED! Now bear with me, Im not saying by any means it’s a bad game, it’s a piece of art, a masterpiece even, very

Now bear with me, Im not saying by any means it’s a bad game, it’s a piece of art, a masterpiece even, very beautiful, especially visually. But hearing “the best game of this generation” or “the best game EVER made” is very false to me. Let me try and help you to understand where im coming from:

Once I have looked past the eye candy, I noticed the gameplay is very shallow and repetitive, the infected lack variety with only 4 types and the humans have a very flawed AI which is very exploitable (also doesn’t help that you keep on killing the same 5 guys cause there aren’t that many enemy skins). The Puzzles, if you could even call them that, are no challenge at all, and only require you to push a ladder from point A to point B or drag a dumpster around for a little while so you can climb on it. The game is far too forgiving, even on the hard setting, keeps on holding your hand, treating you like a little child, generating checkpoints after every minute and even giving you more ammo and med packs out of nowhere when you run out. It just seems overall like it was designed for the casual gamer, so parents and infants could easily beat it. In short, it offers almost no interesting challenges or compelling gameplay surprises.

Now lets get to the story (which most people claim to be the strongest part of the game), its full of glichés from previous post apocalyptic zombie scenarios, and even at its best moments it never reaches the depth and feel a good movie could provide. It feels more like a budget tv-series with a very limited cast, so I really don’t understand when people claim to have cried while playing it.

That all being said it still was a very enjoyable experience, which I’m glad I had the pleasure to go through. The best part about it truly where the visuals, some of the best I have ever witnessed in a videogame, and the 2 main characters Ellie and Joel (even a later Villain) where some truly detailed and interesting characters which made out the main charm of the game.

Videogames where always about the gameplay to me, and I find The Last of Us has a lot of problems there. I think the whole “Let’s try to be a movie” approach of videogames is really getting old.

I still highly recommend it to anybody who likes videogames, or art in general, I didn't mean to sound too negative about it I just wanted to express why I think gamesites giving it 10 out of 10s is complete
  67. Jun 19, 2013
    This is a tough one. It's worth the price simply for the multiplayer. But that's it.

It's like Tomb Raider (2013) but doesn't look as good or control as smoothly. It's like Spec Ops: The Line but without the precision or mind-bending plot twists and paranoia. It's like Uncharted but without the wit, humor or action. It's like Bioshock Infinite but your NPC companion(s) aren't

It's like Tomb Raider (2013) but doesn't look as good or control as smoothly.

It's like Uncharted but without the wit, humor or action.

It's like Bioshock Infinite but your NPC companion(s) aren't as engaging or useful.

The Last of Us is a very mediocre game wrapped up in some jaw-dropping production values. The graphics, music and acting are of the highest quality...

...but when the gameplay is as repetitive as it is in the single player it simply doesn't matter.

But the multiplayer just about saves it but only just, and it may well not appeal to a generation raised on COD:MW and BlOPS. For once a shooter has a multiplayer mode that requires teamwork, preparation and planning. It's generally slow-paced, punctuated with moments of panic and extreme brutality. Tough and compelling. Great stuff.

Single player: dull, repetitive and boring eye candy.

Multiplayer: a mixture of careful planning and crowbar-to-the-face brutality. Great fun.
  68. Jun 26, 2013
    First let me say that this game is good, it's not great. You might think your playing the excellent uncharted series as it feels like it quite a lot of the time. It looks good but underneath the fancy graphics its pretty basic. Games seem to be becoming more and more easy and this is too easy. Survivor mode is disabled until you beat the game. The enemy AI is so forgiving and you mightFirst let me say that this game is good, it's not great. You might think your playing the excellent uncharted series as it feels like it quite a lot of the time. It looks good but underneath the fancy graphics its pretty basic. Games seem to be becoming more and more easy and this is too easy. Survivor mode is disabled until you beat the game. The enemy AI is so forgiving and you might find your given health out of nowhere just because they don't want you to get frustrated. I should say the voice acting is brilliant, though the supporting characters you meet along the way are dull and boring. Its the game play I care about, that kind of stuff should be good, considering how much money was spent on the game. Long gone are the games where you work your ass off to finally get to the big bad this just leaves you saying is that it! Expand
  69. Jun 23, 2013
    i don"t really see why the game is so good the voice acting is great but the game play lacks after 2 or 3 hours you do the same thing shoot or stealth kill 5 or 10 bad guys move along have some dialog while walking around a small area to find more supplies. the crafting is Very limited you get like 6 things to craft that's it. the story is ok its not like you cant get it from another gamei don"t really see why the game is so good the voice acting is great but the game play lacks after 2 or 3 hours you do the same thing shoot or stealth kill 5 or 10 bad guys move along have some dialog while walking around a small area to find more supplies. the crafting is Very limited you get like 6 things to craft that's it. the story is ok its not like you cant get it from another game or movie. some of the dialog that you have whit Ellie is funny but gets old. the environments are bleak and depressing like when you walk into spores you can't see anything. the navigation is crap you wander around to find there's always only one way you can take to get some where. the bad guys suck all generic and they all take 4 to 5 shots to kill why, if you screw up they should die in 2 to 3. the clickers there and interesting type but to make them insta kill you then you put 3 to 5 in one room unless you find 75 pills you will want to rip your hair out. over all the game is sub-par at best all you need to do to get a story like this plus game play is play metal gear solid, resident evil, and metro 2033 or the new metro and cluster them together and you get the last of us Expand
  70. Jul 29, 2013
    What the hell was I thinking???? I gave this game a 7 only 5 hours into the game. I guess because I'm so burned out with zombie games. But I'm rewriting this review to say I'm absolutely obsessed with this game. Game of this generation..on ps3...xbox...maybe even xbox one.

Not enough talk about multiplayer...so I'm going to talk about it. Multiplayer....omg..awesome. Very addictive. I haven't thought this much about multiplayer since when modern warfare first came out in 2007. At first I was getting slaughtered...but you have to think to win. I hate even bringing up COD since it sucks so bad now, but trust me this game is revolutionary. Check it out, even if you dispize zombie stuff like I do
  71. Jun 28, 2013
    Metacritic deleted my previous review, because I jokingly pretended to review this game as Uncharted 4 with Zombies --Well, I guess cheekiness isn't allowed in reviews. So, I'll be blunt; this game is just Uncharted with zombies. If you like Uncharted, then enjoy your expansion pack. If you wanted a new game, well...don't be cheeky in your review.
  72. Jun 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Seriously? 10/10?
    Ok, here we go:
    Brilliant storyline? Yeah, right, old and grumpy ex-dad who lost his kid and young girl who suddenly is the only hope because she is immune to infection... well, that's something new... oh wait. NOT!
    Awesome game-play? But of course. Walk->Dialog->Fight clicker soldier bandit Smalltalk Walk Move trashcan plank ladder Repeat (also, linear, linear, linear)
    Crafting? Awesome again. Use binding and blade to create a one-use knife. Is this blade made of paper? And the best of all... use rag and alcohol to create molotov or... HEALTH KIT! :D
    Unpredictable plot? After 30 minutes in game I made a bet with my friend that Tess will be bitten and she will die in "heroic" AND that Ellie will be immune to infection... guess what, winning beer was delicious.
    Character development... right. Collect 30 pills to increase reloading.
    Weapon modifications... right again. Collect 25 "PARTS" to expand clip size. COME ON, Dead Island had way better crafting.
    Ok, environment is quite nice, graphics is not the best I've ever seen.
    And last but not least. There was PLENTY of ammo and I've finished the game with a lot of bullet still in my backpack.
    P.S. I don't have XBOX, and I don't like XBOX
    P.S2 I was playing on the highest difficulty
    P.S3 I like Uncharted series
  73. Jun 16, 2013
    Excellent and good game, but I expect more of this and the reason that the ads suggest you do so!
    We hope to be next to be much better by adil khojah from saudi arabiya
  74. Aug 4, 2013
    It's the cohesiveness that astonishes The best script and cut scenes in computer games meets extremely polished gameplay and stunning set pieces all held together with pitch perfect pacing to create something that looks like an amazing movie yet still feels like a amazing game.
    Computer games aren't meant to be swimming around your head days after you complete them but this one did. Computer games shouldn't leve you open mouthed in awe but this one did. Computer games aren't meant to make you cry but this one did. Enough said.
  75. Feb 17, 2014
    even though this game is EXTREMELY overrated, i still think "The Last of Us" is a pretty great game. my hugest issue with the game is that unlike every other stealth game there is no failsafe. once you've been spotted, there is no way out of "alert mode". besides that complaint, everything else i have to say about this game is praise. the story is excellent, the gameplay can be quite scaryeven though this game is EXTREMELY overrated, i still think "The Last of Us" is a pretty great game. my hugest issue with the game is that unlike every other stealth game there is no failsafe. once you've been spotted, there is no way out of "alert mode". besides that complaint, everything else i have to say about this game is praise. the story is excellent, the gameplay can be quite scary at times, the game can be brutally difficult if you don't play wisely, the graphics are better than most ps4 games out right now and even the multiplayer is really fun Expand
  76. Sep 18, 2013
    This is my first review for metacritic. And there's no better game to start off with.

If the Last of Us isn't game of the year, demand a recount. This is one of the most enjoyable games for the PS3. The story, although often rehashed with the premise of surviving a zombie ridden world, TLOU provides a great story. Joel, is paired up with Ellie, a young girl who seems to be the key to ending or at least surpress the spread of zombies. Ellie is immune, and a group called the Fireflies wants to get a hold of Ellie. That's all I'll say for now. The presentation or visuals, gritty, dark, perfect. You really get that feeling of wanting to survive. The sound, music fits right in with what's happening on screen, the voice acting is great. The clickers are as creepy as they look. I dare anyone to play this on their sound system at night, late night. The combat is where it shines. You are limited in ammunition and weapons in general. I really felt the need to move around and make sure my shots count. There's an excellent crafting system as well. You get to craft shivs), bombs, smoke bombs, and molotovs. The enemies, a rebel group of hunters, the aforementioned fireflies, and the zombies, which are called clickers. They come in different versions depending on how long someone has been infected. This might be my only real gripe about the game. There were many variations of clickers but I felt as if there should have been more. It's minor. Once you complete the game, you have the option to try it again on harder difficulties. I'm on new game plus.

And then there's the online. This is a breath of fresh air! Warning, if you're a COD gamer, the online is not for you. The online is much slower paced and incorporates the crafting system found in the single player. Nicely done. Teamwork is the main key to the online. In one mode, supply raid, each team has 20 reinforcements or tickets. When a player dies, a reinforcement is used. The team that runs out of reinforcements loses. There's also a no supply raid (no respawn) mode and an interrogation mode. The downside is there are only 3 modes but there's much potential to have more. Interrogation was the new mode added recently.

If you're looking for a great adventure/survival game, The Last of Us is the game to play.
  77. Jul 3, 2013
    While this game has a great storyline, great acting and great single player although extremely linear...Naughty Dog failed to provide decent multi-player which has the same tired feel of the COD games levelling up rubbish. Totally unbalanced until you level up past a certain point. This alone will make most newcomers to the multi-player game not want to bother. Also, while I'm sure thereWhile this game has a great storyline, great acting and great single player although extremely linear...Naughty Dog failed to provide decent multi-player which has the same tired feel of the COD games levelling up rubbish. Totally unbalanced until you level up past a certain point. This alone will make most newcomers to the multi-player game not want to bother. Also, while I'm sure there will be DLC with new modes...its basically Team Death match.

All in all just rent the game and enjoy it that way...instead of selling it in a couple of weeks.
  78. Jun 19, 2013
    I have always said that my favourite games of all time are Zelda OoT, Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy (8&10) as they are great childhood memories, however this game is now in my top 5 games I have played... Ever! I prefer Playstation however I have been more of a 360 gamer apart from PS3 exclusives (although PS4 seems to have sorted things out for online chat etc) but noI have always said that my favourite games of all time are Zelda OoT, Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy (8&10) as they are great childhood memories, however this game is now in my top 5 games I have played... Ever! I prefer Playstation however I have been more of a 360 gamer apart from PS3 exclusives (although PS4 seems to have sorted things out for online chat etc) but no matter what your preferred console is ANY bad review for this game is just retarded and a joke on you for wasting your time. Naughty Dog amazed me with Uncharted but TLOU is better, honestly this game is just pure epic and is better then ANY game I have played in the last 10 years. Some people on here say Bioshock was better, I was a massive fan of Bioshock 1 but I actually sold Bioshock Infinite without even getting half way through the game. Anyway if you still reading reviews on this (I know I'm a bit late to write a review but I've been playing the game) just go out and buy it! I rate MGS incredibly high in my best games ever list and TLOU I actually prefer over MGS4. Don't know what else to say but a massive thank you to the whole team at Naughty Dog, I will be playing this game for years to come and buying old consoles in 10 years time to play it again. Masterpiece and its up there with the best games of all time for me. Brilliant Game!! Expand
  79. Jun 20, 2013
    I'm about 75% through this game right now and it's been a blast so far. The visuals, environments, and character models are gorgeous. The post apocalyptic world/zombie theme has been done over and over again, but the characters and their struggles in this game more than make up for it. The gameplay is very much Uncharted, but less action heavy and more stealthy, as you really have to haveI'm about 75% through this game right now and it's been a blast so far. The visuals, environments, and character models are gorgeous. The post apocalyptic world/zombie theme has been done over and over again, but the characters and their struggles in this game more than make up for it. The gameplay is very much Uncharted, but less action heavy and more stealthy, as you really have to have a good strategy to take down enemies in this game. The Last of Us is kind of a miss mash of open world, third person action, stealth, and shooter all in one. This game is definitely not a mindless shooter though, you need to strategize and actually think about how to proceed with certain situations in the game. The only complaints I have about the game is the confusing weapons menu system, having to "create" health packs and hold up R1 to use it, and the fact that some can somehow survive multiple shotgun blasts...A solid 9/10 though. Expand
  80. Sep 12, 2013
    Yeah it's a 10. This game will really put you through it. The characters are best that I've ever come across in a video game and it isn't even close. The world design is brilliant and exactly what I would imagine in a post human environment. The story is also top notch and the developers really put their own unique stamp on the genre it really did seem plausible. The Uncharted gamesYeah it's a 10. This game will really put you through it. The characters are best that I've ever come across in a video game and it isn't even close. The world design is brilliant and exactly what I would imagine in a post human environment. The story is also top notch and the developers really put their own unique stamp on the genre it really did seem plausible. The Uncharted games were more lighthearted and fun (and also super great) but the Last of Us really reaches another level of immersion and gritty realism that I didn't think was possible with video games. It's something you just have to experience.

Naughty Dog is head and shoulders above other game design companies and I can't wait to see what they do for PS4. I will buy all of their games for years to come.
  81. Feb 15, 2014
    Best Game of 2013. Gameplay, story, graphics, characters design... every single thing.
    The only thing i didnt like of it was its soundtrack, pretty lame work by Santaolalla, as always.
  82. Jul 5, 2013
    This game singlehandedly glued me back to my PS3. So far, the great games of 2013 like Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite found its way into my Steam library on my PC, but exclusives like The Last of Us is what keeps me going back to my PS3. This new release from Naughty Dog features mind-blowing graphics that somehow took advantage of the PS3’s dated hardware and provides smoothThis game singlehandedly glued me back to my PS3. So far, the great games of 2013 like Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite found its way into my Steam library on my PC, but exclusives like The Last of Us is what keeps me going back to my PS3. This new release from Naughty Dog features mind-blowing graphics that somehow took advantage of the PS3’s dated hardware and provides smooth performance and framerates without any screen tearing. The storytelling and characters was done so freakin’ perfectly, I don’t even know where to start. Some characters, like Ellie, I just adored, while I truly despised the military and the hunters. More importantly, the actual relationships that develop between characters left me captivated with Naughty Dog’s ability to portray characters reacting and cooperating with one another during moments of extreme crisis. At no point throughout the entire 15+ hour campaign did my interest in the characters diminish. In fact, the pacing of the story was so flawless, I actually grew more and more interested in the characters as I progressed further into the game. The voice acting had the quality of a high budget Hollywood film, and cut scenes featured lifelike animations, giving me the impression that I was watching a movie. I’m not sure if The Last of Us has the best story *ever* in a video game. CD Projekt’s The Witcher franchise or Bioware’s Mass Effect series have impressed me more with their incredible background stories and game worlds, but no game can compete with The Last of Us’ cinematic presentation of its story and character development.

The Last of Us features a hybrid formula of gameplay with new creative ideas in addition to some old gaming elements that I’ve missed from classic games. In The Last of Us, you won’t regenerate your health over time like you normally would in other shooting games, and the various gadgets that you can craft allows you to use your imagination when engaging a group of hostiles. You could stealth kill a couple enemies, bait the rest into a confined area from the sound of a tossed bottle and have a nail bomb waiting to greet them. Or perhaps you’re low on supplies and will have to manage by tossing that bottle at an enemy and race towards your dazed target to use him as a human shield while gunning down the rest of your foes. The Last of Us offers incredible replay value with its new game plus feature. There are around 10 upgradable weapons, 7 different skills and a dozen training manuals that carry over into NG+. You’ll feel like a juggernaut once everything’s maxed out and will have a ton of fun adventuring through future playthroughs with all your previous equipment and collectibles. The Last of Us features the best gameplay Naughty Dog has offered yet.

Naughty Dog has no limits when it comes to creativity. The Last of Us will have other developers quaking at the prospect to match the quality of this masterpiece. I had very high and unrealistic expectations for this new release, and I *still* got what I expected and more. The Last of Us induced emotional reactions from me that few Hollywood movies have accomplished. The Witcher 2 will most likely remain as my favorite game of all time, but I’ve never been immersed into a video game this much since The Witcher 2’s release back in mid-2011. From a climactic cut scene making me shed a tear to laughing at Ellie’s silly joke book, The Last of Us has given me an unforgettable gaming experience and won me over for game of the year for 2013. This was, by far, the most gratifying 60 dollars I’ve spent in a long, long time.
  83. Aug 21, 2013
    The Last of Us is a REALLY difficult game to review. On one hand, it has hands down the best story, characterizations and acting I've ever come across in a game. It even puts the likes of Telltale's The Walking Dead to shame. The game makes you feel sad and angry at all the right moments. It is absolutely perfect in that regard and a new benchmark for gaming. That said, gameplay wise, TheThe Last of Us is a REALLY difficult game to review. On one hand, it has hands down the best story, characterizations and acting I've ever come across in a game. It even puts the likes of Telltale's The Walking Dead to shame. The game makes you feel sad and angry at all the right moments. It is absolutely perfect in that regard and a new benchmark for gaming. That said, gameplay wise, The Last of Us often treads uneven ground. The game is very repetitive. You enter an area, kill or sneak past a finite amount of enemies and then escape that area via a ladder wheely bin garage door floating pallet. Then you enter the next area and do exactly the same. Aside from aesthetic changes, there is almost no deviation in this routine. Why Joel and Ellie can seemingly always find a ladder or pallet whenever they need one is quite the mystery indeed. It kind of reminds me of the old Adam west Batman TV show, where the Bats had a repellent for every known situation ever developed (shark repellent bear repellent heterosexual repellent... etc). The sheer stupidity of that mechanic broke immersion many, many times. The combat is decent enough. The human enemy A.I is nice, with lots of flanking and cover tactics being employed. The stealthy monster takedowns feel very gamey and arena based but they're OK too. The difficulty can be pretty harsh at times. This was a game that I had to repeat many different sections of. It can get frustrating because the checkpoint system sends you right back to the start of the 'arena' you're in, sometimes deleting a fair amount of hard-fought progress. Overall, The Last of Us was a very memorable experience. There was far too much stupidity and frustration in the gameplay for it to be perfect but that story... Wow! Expand
  84. Jun 22, 2013
    Truly a masterpiece. Great single player mode and fantastic online mode.Online mode is so good its addictive.What a way to end the ps3 with a last exclusive.I can see why all critics are giving this game a glowing review.Absolutely wonderful.
  85. Jul 26, 2013
    A masterpiece that redefines what games can accomplish at multiple levels. Excelent storytelling, great mechanics, addictive gameplay and technically the most advanced current gen game.
  86. Jun 21, 2013
    This game is unrivaled in everything it succeeds at... which is everything that it does. Undoubtedly one of the greatest games of this (or any) generation. The PS3's swan song is a testament to what games have become; story-driven epics that bring out all human emotion.

The Last of Us is truly a masterpiece and anyone who says otherwise is fooling themselves.
  87. Jul 7, 2013
    Any title as well reviewed as the Last of Us will always be a target for people looking for attention. All I can say is ignore them because this is undoubtedly one of the games of the current console generation.

Anything this ambitious will of course have a few minor flaws (the most noticeable being the odd occasion in which your companion stands out in the open and doesn’t get seen) but these are easy to ignore thanks to the virtually perfect mix of cinematic storytelling and superbly tense gameplay that kept me enthralled for the entire 17 hours it took me to complete it. If you don’t own a PS3 there is no better reason to buy one than The Last of Us.
  88. Sep 29, 2013
    The Last Of Us is an amazing game with an amazing graphics and a great story. The characters are great, I really fell in love with Ellie and this was actually the first game I cried during the game :D. So, the story is great, graphics are great, characters are great, but when it comes to the gameplay, it was nothing special, it was okay, but it was not smooth enough for my taste. The gameThe Last Of Us is an amazing game with an amazing graphics and a great story. The characters are great, I really fell in love with Ellie and this was actually the first game I cried during the game :D. So, the story is great, graphics are great, characters are great, but when it comes to the gameplay, it was nothing special, it was okay, but it was not smooth enough for my taste. The game is amazing, but it's a game so for me the gameplay is the most important thing and that's why I can't give it 10/10, but I'm really looking forward what kind of masterpiece ND will make for PS4, and if they make TLOU 2 with better graphics, it will probably get 10/10 from me. Expand
  89. Jun 19, 2013
    I am speechless, absolutely flawless. What an experience! This is some milestone type of game for the video game industry right there. Naughty Dog really over got over themselves. Imagine what they can do with the Playstation 4, can't wait!
  90. Jul 14, 2013
    This is a damn good movie, err--- I mean game... The Last of Us has knocked the graphics section out of the park, and although the gameplay isn't too exciting to watch; when you actually play it, it feels surprisingly accurate and refined (for a videogame, that is.) The game is partially flawed however, introducing us to (very) bad characters and a movie-like setup, but it can be forgivenThis is a damn good movie, err--- I mean game... The Last of Us has knocked the graphics section out of the park, and although the gameplay isn't too exciting to watch; when you actually play it, it feels surprisingly accurate and refined (for a videogame, that is.) The game is partially flawed however, introducing us to (very) bad characters and a movie-like setup, but it can be forgiven as the writers try to show what standards have to be set in such a world their characters are living it. It's not out of the question that this has me feeling just how to well this game was designed and set up (overall). It really is worth your time, go for it! Expand
  91. Jul 2, 2013
    Before the release of The Last of Us, Naughty Dog expressed their focus with the game: Narrative and emotion. These two things are arguably the weakest overall aspects of games on the market, and this issue has been addressed and the bar set. The characters are full of depth and realism, and you deeply care for them by the end. You are emotionally connected to these characters. When aBefore the release of The Last of Us, Naughty Dog expressed their focus with the game: Narrative and emotion. These two things are arguably the weakest overall aspects of games on the market, and this issue has been addressed and the bar set. The characters are full of depth and realism, and you deeply care for them by the end. You are emotionally connected to these characters. When a person is emotionally invested in something, every aspect about it is highlighted or emphasized in some way. The gameplay is slow, but perfect. Combat is brutal and heavy. Every shot, punch, and swing of the bat feels satisfying. The stealth is largely basic, but any other editions would have felt contrived. The multiplayer is amazing as well. Similar in pace to the singleplayer, small teams allow for strategic play and refreshing competitive competition. You'll be hoping that the future DLC will add on to the somewhat slim experience. For some time now, many others have tried to do what Naughty Dog has done, but have failed. They've sacrificed interesting gameplay for a strong narrative. These games are not balanced, and split their audience. The Last of Us hits this balance perfectly. It's refreshing to see a game succeed in every objective it set out to do. You won't forget this classic game anytime soon. One of the generation's greats. Expand
  92. Jul 27, 2013
    Whilst some may find the 10/10 surrounding thus game hyperbole, and they are in some ways correct it is still very deserving of its 10 nonetheless. There are hundreds of other user reviews on here but what I want to deliver is my critique of the game and what despite this being a masterpiece could have had significant improvement.

So The Last Of Us at first appears a typical

So The Last Of Us at first appears a typical post-apocalyptic zombie story with all the tropes to prove it, burning buildings, panic and quarantine zones. But at the heart of the story is something more profound a story that in its trope filled plot has a deeper vein that tells an altogether more important story than anything before it in this medium. It is a narrative that from its first 15 minute intro engrosses the player into the game and has you controlling events that would usually be relegated to the work of only the CG. These 15 minutes are poignant, poetic and thought provoking just as the final 15 minutes of the game are too this story is about humanity's decline from what once was and most of all the relationships that form in these situations, those who have never known anything outside of this 'dying' world. Though the word 'dying' might not quite fit. Building structures appear heavily damaged cars ravaged by nature and yet without spoiling the plot nature continues to live on past the remnants of humanity's previous luxuries.

But whilst the story does all these things there are certain immersion breaking moments that can take you completely out of it in gameplay. The gameplay can at times feel frustrating with the occasional check point that spawns you right in the middle of combat being shot at or the loud footsteps of Ellie as you stealth kill a clicker. Whilst these aren't completely game breaking they are issues that could have been addressed. Of course the gameplay for the most part has some of the best survival gameplay of any game so far and there are certain areas in the game that are scarier than the last 3 RE games. This is survival as you craft together the items you need in real time, change weapons in real time and bandage yourself up in real time. The real time (seeing how many times I can say it in a couple of sentences!) elements are extremely effective and give a sense of panic as your pistol runs out of ammo and you need to switch gun but the enemy is coming straight at you, it means deep, tactical combat both in multiplayer and in single player as you find the right time to craft items or change weapons for certain situations.

Another issue for some might be the pacing. The game is split into chapters which are then split into 4 distinct sections Autumn, Winter, Spring and Summer. However the first section of the game is undoubtedly the slowest. It starts off at an extremely fast pace with many plot elements but towards the middle of this initial section it might feel too slow for some despite being at a nice steady pace which allows for characterisation and development. From here on in the game picks up the pace in more short and distinct sections that allow the player to still explore but also throws in more unique situations for the player to deal with.

Finally the AI from the game is a bit strange because although for the most part it is seemingly quite intelligent there are certain parts of the game where you will wonder why the AI performs a specific action, though these are rare they can be frustrating to see. Although hardly happening to me the friendly AI occasionally shot in sections when I wanted to stealth the enemies and it lead to disaster in a situation that could altogether have been avoided. Although again there was only two occurrences with this it is worth noting still. Also enemies will occasionally see a body and not even question its presence there and at other times are so smart they can deduct your position like they are using a GPS.

In conclusion the Last Of Us then is a Masterpiece but not one without some issues as Uncharted, Mass Effect, Ocarina of time and other greats are not without their issues, The Last Of Us stands as one of the best games of the last 7 years (this console generation) and deserves its time at the top of the charts and its critical acclaim. It is a game which undoubtedly cements Naughty Dog as one of the best AAA development houses in the world, and one of the biggest assets Sony has acquired in the last decade.

Gameplay 9.6
    Sound 10
    Story/Plot: 10
    Lasting Appeal: 10
    Presentation: 10

Overall: 10/10 Masterpiece, If you have a PS3 you owe it to yourself to try this out even if it isn't your cup of tea!
  93. Jun 21, 2013
    "The Last of Us" is a crowning masterpiece. Some of the most incredible story telling I've ever seen. Unlike anything I've ever experienced in a video game. With a "No Country For Old Men" & "I Am Legend" like feel to it, but mostly something entirely of it's own. With this post apocalyptic setting, you will travel with Joel & Ellie through one hell of a crazy, intense & emotional journey,"The Last of Us" is a crowning masterpiece. Some of the most incredible story telling I've ever seen. Unlike anything I've ever experienced in a video game. With a "No Country For Old Men" & "I Am Legend" like feel to it, but mostly something entirely of it's own. With this post apocalyptic setting, you will travel with Joel & Ellie through one hell of a crazy, intense & emotional journey, as these two characters fight & struggle to survive this impossible, terrifying world, and will build, over time, a stronger bond together because of it. You have NEVER experienced anything like this before. Trust me. If you have a PlayStation 3 The Last of Us must NOT be missed. Hell, if you don't have a PS3 already BUY a PS3 just for this game. That's money you won't regret spending, and THAT is a guarantee. Expand
  94. Jun 16, 2013
    Ok, I like this game but it wasn't what I was expecting. It's a great story, great atmosphere, sound effects, music, etc. The shooting mechanics are very clunky which makes shooting difficult (for me at least). I was expecting a game more focused on gameplay rather than story and atmosphere. I thought it would have a lot of platforming and puzzles but it hardly has any. And anyone thatOk, I like this game but it wasn't what I was expecting. It's a great story, great atmosphere, sound effects, music, etc. The shooting mechanics are very clunky which makes shooting difficult (for me at least). I was expecting a game more focused on gameplay rather than story and atmosphere. I thought it would have a lot of platforming and puzzles but it hardly has any. And anyone that wrote a review here that said that graphics are good, hasn't actually played the game because the graphics are absolute garbage, for any developers standards, let alone ND which is supposed to be the best in the biz when it comes to graphics. The design of the levels are really good, but it looks terrible. I was really upset with this game because I have been looking forward to it for so long. It still gets an 8 because despite the issues I mentioned, its still a great game my expectations were just too high... oh yeah, multiplayer is garbage too but at least they have round based, non respawn Expand
  95. Xon
    Mar 16, 2014
    Truly an extraordinary game. An incredible work of art. The game might falter here and there, but this doesn't detract from a game that sets out - and achieves - to create an immaculately immersive world with characters that have real presence who elicit an emotional response. I wish there were more games like this, but it is "one of a kind".
  96. Jun 21, 2013
    Excellent gaming experience, and I hope they don't explore Ellie's and Joel's relationship in any post ending DLC because the ending was phenomenal. Very slight texture problems in the distance but I don't blame Naughty Dog its still beautiful
  97. Jun 20, 2013
    Naughty dog has outdone themselves again. The story draws you in to loving characters based on how human their flaws are and has a distinct Cohen brothers style of ending that makes you think about the characters and how nuanced they are. All of this is built on top of a sturdy foundation of stealth gameplay and a great leveling system. It's broken into 4 chapters that all have theNaughty dog has outdone themselves again. The story draws you in to loving characters based on how human their flaws are and has a distinct Cohen brothers style of ending that makes you think about the characters and how nuanced they are. All of this is built on top of a sturdy foundation of stealth gameplay and a great leveling system. It's broken into 4 chapters that all have the emotional impact to stand on their own. Expand
  98. Sep 17, 2013
    This is the best game i have ever played. The story and characters are simply sensational. The relationship between Joel and Ellie is simply amazing and is on another level compared to other games. The story is gripping and makes you so emotionally involved. I cried about 7 times throughout this game because it simply made me care for everyone in the game. The gameplay is absolutely solidThis is the best game i have ever played. The story and characters are simply sensational. The relationship between Joel and Ellie is simply amazing and is on another level compared to other games. The story is gripping and makes you so emotionally involved. I cried about 7 times throughout this game because it simply made me care for everyone in the game. The gameplay is absolutely solid and fits the game perfectly. This is the best game of this generation and naughty dog have set a very high standard that i think will be near impossible to match Expand
  99. Jun 20, 2013
    The Last of Us is the best game on the PS3, and one of the best games I have ever played. The gameplay is unique/challenging, the characters are lovable and the story is poignant. While the game is violent, it's never gratuitous out of the blue, the violence makes sense in the world Naughty Dog created.

The gameplay practically requires treading carefully through levels. This is

The gameplay practically requires treading carefully through levels. This is something I love in games. This, coupled with limited ammo/health while throwing in a slew of infected enemies, provides a genuinely nerve racking experience. If you got shot, you feel Joel's pain. When you have 3 bullets and numerous enemies surrounding your position, you have to out-think/out-maneuver the enemies by using the environment to your advantage.

The graphics are superb. It's the best looking game on PS3 no question about it. The Sound is amazing as well, from the music to the enemies, everything is top notch. One of the infected, aptly known as "Clickers" use echolocation to hunt humans. While they are blind, their keen sense of sound allows them to track your location with the slightest movement. When this happens, they make a terrifying clicking sound to alert other infected nearby. It is genuinely terrifying when this happens.

All in all, it is a terrific game that I would recommend to most people. With that said, this game isn't for everyone. For one, if you like action adventure games where you are supplied with countless weapons, armor and ammo, The Last of Us isn't for you. If you are offended by mature violence, themes and language, The Last of Us isn't for. If however, you can handle the mature themes, this game is a MUST PLAY. It's a Masterpiece, plain and simple.
  100. Jul 17, 2013
    Not playing this game any more makes me sad. It's one of those, like when House finished. It's all
    About the characters, you really care about them. Compared to PC gaming the graphics aren't amazing (needs a little anti aliasing) but it's so beautiful. Makes me want to live in post zombie apocalypse America.

1. Sep 16, 2013
  2. Sep 10, 2013
  3. Despite the breakneck pace of the prologue, it takes quite a while for The Last of Us to pick up some speed again. However, once the cold harsh winter arrives, the action (and story) ramps up. So much so, it puts most Hollywood productions to shame. [July 2013, p.76]