• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Jun 14, 2013
9.1

1. Jan 11, 2014
    Naughty Bear's Left 4 Dead 3 is a stellar game that should get attention from every video game fanatic. You fight your way through necromorphs and the rebel alliance along with your AI partner Ellen Page,
  2. Jan 2, 2014
    This,this game is a masterpiece. I don't care what you think otherwise but this 50$ or £40 is the best you'll spend/or would spend in 2013/2014 Naughty Dog outdid themselves with this, it is even better than a classic for the PS one 'Crash Bandicoot'.Although the start is very hard to swallow with the slowness and the death of his daughter,but that over comes itself with the bondage that him and Ellie grow over the course of this magnificent game. The detail here is mind blowing it pushes the PS3 to the limit,i'm glad i chose this console over the XBOX 360 becuase even though if i had an XBOX 360 i would go out my way and buy a PS3 and this game,and i would play it over and over,but i have already done that and i saved some money also.All pf this was based on the Single Player,now onto the MP or what it's called in the menu 'Factions'.This game wouldn't need that game mode,it would still get those 10/10's 5/5's and 100./100's but with that stealth/survivor mode it makes the game so more fun and adds much replay value.In that mode you start with nearly nothing and it makes you open little red tool boxes with the tools part and crafting materials so you can help your team win.You going have to choose between the rebellion side and the Firefly side which are mentioned in the single player and Joel must help the firefly leader to deliver a 'Package'.But in here you don't come close to do stuff like that,you have your own 'clan' that you must need to feed and expand by doing good in your matches and then you collect 'food' to make sure your survivors are healthy well fed and not hungry.

If you are wanting to buy this masterpiece of a game i recommend doing it now,this moment,run.
    And if you have an XBOX buy a ps3 and this game or buy the game and go to a friend that has a ps3 push him out the way and play it.
  3. Jan 3, 2014
    I'm going to start this review by making a bold statement. The Last of Us is the best PlayStation 3 game you will ever play. The timing of this game's release, a few months before the PlayStation 4 is no co-incidence. The PS3 has had a good run, but developers have finally reached the limit with the quality of gaming they can produce, but what a way to finish.

The Last of Us is set in
    the U.S.A. after the cordyceps infection has ravaged the human race, turning humans into vicious, aggressive, almost rabid-like creatures. The game follows the story of Joel, as he attempts to smuggle Ellie, who is immune to the disease, across the country to safety, with plenty of surprises on the way (I'm being deliberately vague to avoid spoilers). The plot almost resembles a movie script rather than a video game; you'll understand if you've played the game. The ending (again without giving away any plot details) brilliantly leaves the plot open for a sequel; Sony also recently registered domain names relating to The Last of Us 2 and The Last of Us 3 read into that what you will.

Whilst technically a linear game, The Last of Us is probably as close to an open-world game as a linear can be; exploration, strategy and resources play a key part in the game. The combat system in The Last of Us is probably as a real a combat experience as you will get on a video game. Much like real-life, resources are very limited and weapons are very powerful. You can't simply hide from enemies and wait for your health to regenerate, instead the player must use health packs, which can be either acquired or created by the player using resources.

The player can use a variety of firearms in the game, ranging from pistols, to shotguns, to hunting rifles. As ammunition is hard to come by, as in reality, players are often better off using melee weapons, such as baseball bats and planks of wood. Both firearms and melee weapons can be upgraded using parts (a resource which can be found).

Resources are one of the most important aspects of The Last of Us, the player can use them as weapons, ammunition, to distract enemies, replenish their health, upgrade weapons or to access certain areas. Resources such as health packs can also be created by crafting raw materials collected by the player.

The player also has the ability to upgrade weapons using collectable tools, and the opportunity to upgrade their character by collecting bottles of pills.

Whilst it's clear that Naughty Dog focused on the single-play, they have included a multiplayer element as well. Like other Naughty Dog games, it's relatively poor compared to the single-player, but The Last of Us' multiplayer, known as Factions, is a good attempt. The multiplayer takes place in the same environment as the game. Players choose one of two Factions, Fireflies (in yellow) and Hunters (in blue). There are no special abilities which are unique to any faction. The player leads a clan of survivors through 12 weeks, gathering supplies in order to advance the clan. Each match counts as one day, and supplies must be gathered to supply the clan; if the necessary supplies aren't gathered then clan members will begin to get hungry, get ill or die. Clan members can then be healed by reaching the required numbers of supplies. The Factions game mode can also be linked to Facebook.

To sum it up, The Last of Us will be, in my opinion, the best PS3 exclusive you will ever play, and possibly the best game you'll ever play on PS3 (the only real game that could compete with it is Grand Theft Auto V). The plot will keep you entertained for hours, and probably more.
  4. Feb 24, 2014
    Only one word can describe this game: masterpiece. Great, emotionally driven story, great and relatable characters, and wonderful gameplay, I greatly recommend The Last Of Us to anyone who hasn't played it. While I wish it could have been a few hours longer in length, this game was still nothing short of a masterpeace.
  5. Jan 7, 2014
    My favourite single player game of all time.

The story was incredibly addictive, made me never want to put my controller down, and like a good book, I found myself thinking about the characters when I wasn't playing it.

If you play one game in your lifetime, make it this game.
  6. Feb 15, 2014
    This is the best game I have played in the last gen of games, it was creepy and scary at times and it looked fantastic, naughty dog really out did themselves in this game, hope there next game/franchise if even better. If that is at all possible.
  7. Jan 15, 2014
    It's true, in my opinion, that it doesn't live up to the hype. But that doesn't stop it from being a complete pleasure to play. I would have awarded it more points, but the story (whilst being very strong) didn't resonate with me on the emotional level I really wanted. Yet stunning visuals and fun gameplay easily make it one of the best games of 2013
  8. Jan 15, 2014
    This is the best game ever made since Final Fantasy VII IMO. This should be GOTY and this is top 5 game of all time in my top 10 list !!!. GTA V is overrated and this game is way better.
  9. Jan 16, 2014
    Not for the faint of heart. This is the kind of game that is so dark, gritty and uncompromisingly brutal, that you are probably gonna want to take a shower. I don't know how I didn't play this sooner. The Last of Us features, in my opinion, the most engrossing story in the history of video games. Everything about the game is heart-wrenching. You feel the pain, sadness, and utter despair through every moment.

The combat is fantastic and is an example for all 3rd person shooters. Fantastic mechanics, good cover system, and endless possibilities in terms of taking on enemies. The gameplay feels so natural, it is often panic-inducing.

As if the story isn't worth the price tag, the multiplayer is endlessly entertaining. Unlike run-of-the-mill multiplayer experiences (COD for example), this requires teamwork and smart use of resources. It can be a little overwhelming at first. It has a pretty steep learning curve, but after getting acquainted with the single player, it becomes second nature. I tend to burnout on games after 10 hours or so, but The Last of Us is an exception.

Graphics are A+. Can't say anything more.

If you enjoy intense gaming experiences and want something that will stick with you, play this NOW.
  10. Jan 21, 2014
    An absolutely amazing game from what little I've been able to play. Only reason it didn't get a 10 was the fact that after getting around 25% of the way thru the game started glitchung and then would crash and have literally spent more time trying to fox that then playing the game on its own.
  11. Jan 25, 2014
    Mine think its the best game ever my life what i have ever played, i have played in pc many years, now i got ps3 and when i get hands on The Last Of Us its just looks phenomenal, it's masterpiece. I finished game two days ago and in end i realized, how can be game that awesome all if this game is so perfect and beautiful. Mine think its yes the best game ever, seriously.

NaughtyDog has
    made excellent work agin. I thinking do purchase Post-Pandemic Edition or Survival Edition, probably Survival one. If this game self even cost 300€ i will definitely buy that without think about that. Thants are mine rating of that game.

Also i have allready pre-orded Left Behind SP DLC, cannot wait when 14 come :P
    So now if i see rating overall that game ign/gamespot/eurogamer all give max points.

The Last Of Us - Masterpiece Art of game.
  12. Feb 9, 2014
    The game is good. It’s not the most amazing thing on the planet, it’s not revolutionary; it’s just good. The story is great and the gameplay is well thought out, however, I do not see what the big deal is and how it deserves to be deemed a masterpiece.
  13. Feb 20, 2014
    One of the best PS3 games I have ever played. The graphics, voice acting, plot, and the relationship between Joel and Ellie made this a game that has stuck with me well after completion. There were several moments that completely took me by surprise, but I don't want to list them here due to spoilers. The only complaint with the game is that the partner AI was sometimes a little buggy. But there are so many great things about this game that somewhat glitchy AI is not too significant.

Overall, I highly recommend this game to any PS3 owner. One of the best games of the generation indeed.
  14. Feb 18, 2014
    To put it simply, if they did a re-release of this game on the PS4, i'd buy it again full price and buy a PS4 in the process even though i played through this game 6 times and done achievement runs.

This game is not without its flaws, the auto-save system isn't the best, there really isn't anyone playing the multilayer, and as a mainly PC gamer i found the lack of AA annoying (but i
    guess that's most console games).. but even with the flaws the experience I've had with this game is possibly one of the best.

if you have not played this, it is definitely worth checking out as i think its one of the (if not the) best games on last gen consoles.
  15. Feb 19, 2014
    10/10 This is my favorite game ever, the game play is stellar, with the crafting and challenging stealth give you satisfaction when you finally make it through a part.

The visuals are intense, contrasting from the gloomiest lows to the most beautiful outdoor parts.

While the Playstation's ancient hardware leaves much to be desired, this game makes the best of it. With the help of
    some tricks Naughty Dog was able to maintain a mainly solid 30FPS at 720p. Unfortunately with that said the noisy PS3 can sometimes be a bother.

The story is where this game just leaves everything else behind, everything, ever, this game is an epic of a scale no other game even gets close to. Character so human with real reactions and no superpowers, it is a nice change to see.
  16. Feb 20, 2014
    Personally I think journey is the best game ever but TLoU comes second and still gets a 10. There were some flaws in the game - invisible sniper anyone???? and there were so many instances where i lost immersion, like ellie and the clickers and how in the ending the game got super hard... ND you should know better!!!!

But my goodness if you werent moved by this game you have a heart of
    stone. I cried more in the game than in the last harry potter book! People who say games are only for kids or to waste time are stoopid! and should play this game cause they'll realize their backwards views are wrong.

Now i want ND to make a new ip every four years i'm sick of stupid sequels. People read masterpiece books so shouldn't people play masterpiece games over and over???? Think about it.

But anyway obvious goty and snobs who say "OMG isn't on PC" dont deserve to play this masterpiece.
  17. Feb 22, 2014
    Very good game, however, it is overrated. It's just not quite the 10/10 , game of the generation people say it is. The game play is good, for what it is (slow paced, survival gameplay), but taking a time out to look for a ladder, or pausing to use "listening mode" while sneaking really took me out of the game, and hurt the immersion. The game's story is also nothing special. Although presented well (fantastic voice acting and narrative, and some of the most beautiful cut scenes I've ever) seen) the story is predictable, and the ending was abrupt. Joel and Ellie though, we're fantastic characters, and there was emotion in latter parts of the game. The aesthetics are amazing. The game has the looks of a next-gen game, is backed by a great soundtrack, and as I said before, is presented EXTREMELY well through cut scenes and voice acting the likes of which could give a dialogue-heavy game like Mass Effect could contend with. All this said, I would give this game a 7/10, but this game has other trick up it's sleeve, offering one of the most enjoyable multiplayers I've ever played. A 4v4 versus match is set up, offering 3 modes. A TDM, a no re-spawn TDM, and a mode called "Interrogation," where you must execute enemies to gain info on their lockbox location, which you then must open. The latter is the most enjoyable mode. It is essentially a refined Uncharted 3 multiplayer, with survival aspects and a two-sided story line. This boosts my review to an 8/10. My final word: A GotY nominee, but I would not hand it the award. Expand
  18. Feb 23, 2014
    What a piece of work this is! Beautiful graphics, terrific voice acting, gripping gameplay, and such a compelling story! Naughty Dog has delivered one of the most compelling, ambitious, and emotional games of the 21st century.
  19. Feb 25, 2014
    One of the best games I have ever played. Great visuals, great game play value and amazing story line. This also came with one of the best single player D.L.C updates. Would recommend this game to everyone, except twitch shooter junkies and Facebook game players. If you are exempt from these two, and have an intelligence level higher than 50.I.q. then you will love this game.
  20. Feb 27, 2014
    The last of us is not just any ordinary video game. It's more of an experience. This game is rated Mature because of the the issues it deals with. It dares to tread where no other games would. It shows us what we really are capable of and the things that might happen when all hope is lost. It makes us question our morality. This is not just a game, it is so much more. It proves that gaming can be an art form. this is a truly remarkable game. It deserves all the plaudits because it truly is the Greatest game ever made. This game will be remembered for a long long time Expand
  21. May 27, 2014
    First off I have to start this review by saying that I am in no way a fanboy. I owned all 3 consoles last gen and I plan on doing it again in the next generation as well. Second off, I have to say that this is going to be more of a rant than a real review. The Last of Us shines in its narrative, characters, and atmosphere. The story and characters are some of the best in any game I've ever played, and the way it is presented is second to none. The characters all have distinct personalities and are well developed. The dialogue is great and so are the voice actors that deliver it. The atmosphere really does feel like a post apocalyptic future. The graphics are some of the best ever (on consoles) even though the color pallet looks like the game ate Fallout 3 then spit it out and added vines everywhere. With all this having been said, I have zero idea how anybody can think this game is a masterpiece or anywhere close. The gameplay (you know the point of playing a video game) is so lackluster, and the game is not well designed. The game tries to be a stealth-action survival horror game except it meets none of those genre's criteria well. It would have been great had the areas flowed together coherently but anywhere that there are enemies is basically an arena of conveniently placed boxes (much like another stealth-action game it tries so hard but fails to be, Metal Gear Solid) And really Naughty Dog? With the oil tankers full of money that Sony gave you to make this game, you couldn't spring for more than one stealth choking animation or 5 skins of enemy characters? It fails on the survival horror front because you are always being presented with bullets and medpacks and whatever you need because the game was made for casuals. The crafting makes no sense as Rag+Alcohol apparently = bandage. The "puzzles" consist of moving a latter from one place to another. Thrilling. By far the worst part of the game is the AI. All the AI in the game is broken. Enemy AI is completely inept on even the highest difficulty and your partner AI? God help me. Having bad enemy AI is enough to break any stealth game, but bad partner AI too? Might as well kill yourself. If you want to play a third person survival horror zombie game with bad partner AI and stiff controls then play Resident evil 4, a far superior game. The game is very shallow and repetitive, the infected lack variety with only 4 types to fight against. The gameplay itself is slightly above average, yet the game has garnered 9's and 10's on almost every major site, presumably based on story alone. Well I'm sorry but the fact is that I will never give a video game a 9 or a 10 based on story alone. What even qualifies as a game anymore? If I rendered Terminator 2 in video game cutscenes and let you press a button every 10 minutes to choose what one liner Arnold says would that be a 10/10 flawless masterpiece of a game? I'm not saying that this is what the last of us is like, but its not far off. Everything is so linear and all the exciting things happen in cutscenes that happen every 5 minutes. If I wanted to play a mediocre stealth game in between watching a decent zombie movie, I would watch Shaun of the Dead and pause every ten minutes to play Alpha Protocol. Since when has it been ok for a VIDEO GAME to be called a masterpiece when the gameplay is average at best? You'd would think that with the way video game technology has progressed that developers would give us bigger worlds to explore with better AI and more depth, but nope, they're using it to make games like movies. This brings me to my next point which is, in a video game this story is amazing, but as a movie, this story is average and cliche at best. There are other games that have good stories that aren't a boring chore to play through and that actually add something to the respective genre that they're in. The last of us is by no means a bad game, but it is only a slightly above average game that brings nothing new or interesting to the Stealth action or Survival horror genres, and is made very good by its story and characters (even if they all swear like they just got off the USS Saratoga) Expand
  22. Mar 5, 2014
    This will probably go down as one of my favorite games of this console generation (being a close second behind Red Dead Redemption). From the story to the combat, everything felt fresh and new. Playing it on survivor mode also added to the intensity with limited supplies. I can see a lot of FPS people not liking this game but I see that as more so not liking anything that isn't a FPS as opposed to not actually liking the game itself. The story was actually better than most blockbuster movies you would see these days. If you liked other Naughty Dog titles like Uncharted then you'll love this game. However if you don't usually play anything outside of COD and combat is way more important to you than story/visuals then this may not be for you. Personally I loved it. Expand
  23. Mar 14, 2014
    The Last Of Us is a true gaming marvel. It achieves the pinnacle of story telling along with a fantastic combat system. The game may have a few bugs, like when you're sneaking around infected or hunters, your companions might walk right in front of them or run around the place and not get detected.

I believe this game is at it's best when Joel an Ellie are battling with hunters and
    covering on another. A moment that made me smile was when I was out of ammo in my guns, Ellie shouted out "Hey, a**hole!" and then threw a brick at him allowing me to run at him and smash his head against the wall.

Naughty Dog have really outdone themselves once again. Even with Uncharted, I got bored of the combat eventually, because it just felt like I was being forced through these repetitive combat sequences to get to the next cut scene. But with The Last Of Us, I didn't feel this was whatsoever. I enjoyed the combat system because it felt fluid and realistic. Every punch of your fist or smack of a metal pipe felt like it had weight to it. I especially liked how after getting shot or hit in the face, Joel's nose or other part of his face might be bleeding.

Each combat (or stealth) sequence also felt unique. Different areas allow for different strategies, will I go up on that balcony and get a vantage point, or will I just sneak by and avoid a confrontation entirely. These are the choices that give this game a feeling of originality.

The Last Of Us is one of the defining game of every generation, it blends immersive combat with a truly great story about a middle aged man and a teenage girl crossing the United States of America which has been desolated by an infection.
  24. Mar 15, 2014
    The last of us is my favourite game ever, It's story is fantastic with great characters like Joel and Ellie who are both expertly acted by Troy Baker and Ashley Johnson. The gameplay is exicting and terrifiying whether you're fighting the hunters or infected it's exilarting with one especially scary sequence in the basement of a hotel in which i cowardly hide in a corner with my shotgun aimed nervously. The multiplayer of The Last of us is suprisingly great, it's not just a reskin of uncharted's but a tense team driven experince that's defintly worth a try. The Last of us is argubaly the best PS3 game yet with an excellent story, tense gameplay and great multiplayer it should be in every playstation gamers collection. Expand
  25. Mar 15, 2014
    GOOD: great and engaging story, good characters, plays out like a movie, superb first impressions, beautiful and lush environments, very hard, makes you feel cautious throughout the entire game, excellent crafting system, awesome guns and equipment, you have the need to use everything which makes you feel like nothing in the game is useless, have to find equipment because resources are scarce, Ellie is a good partner, got to play as Ellie, fun multiplayer in which you also have to be cautious, one of the creepiest boss battles ever, and a nice ending

BAD: capped at 720P, I did not have the need to get every single collectible

FINAL VERDICT: Games like this makes people think why we need a new console generation every 7 years. The Last Of Us is easily the best Sony exclusive ever made and one of the top 10 best games ever.
    Worth $60 dollars and worth buying a PS3 just to play it. This game should be played by everyone single gamer.
  26. Mar 16, 2014
    It's hard to find words that can describe this game, but all i can say is wow. This game is pure brilliant and by far the best game that i have ever played. If you are thinking of getting this game - do. I can't recommend it enough and you will not regret buying it.
  27. Mar 18, 2014
    I bought my PS3 for GTA V. During the waiting period (for its release) I went into a game store where I found some PS3 games. I looked at The Last of Us, having never seen it before, and I liked the cover art, so I figured, why the heck not. Take a chance, I thought. I bought it. And it was one of the best decisions in my life.

I completed the game three times already and I'm ready to
    begin playing it for the fourth time. This game is the definition of addiction. I can't get enough of the excellent story, interesting world and remarkable characters this game is offering. Joel and Ellie are absolutely great. Ellie is actually my favourite game character ever. And I played a lot of games, trust me.

The soundtrack is, in my opinion, one of the best game soundtracks ever. The songs composed by Gustavo Santaolalla are absolutely touching and will remain in your head long after finishing the game. In my case, I think they'll always remain in my head. It's true art.

This is the only game which I rated 7/7 in my personal notebook (yes, I rate games out of 7, don't ask!). Out of hundreds and hundreds of games this one just got me good. So if you are considering buying it... if you like great story, great gameplay, great atmosphere, great characters, great music, great visuals, do it. You won't regret it. I swear.

So in the end I liked The Last of Us better than GTA V, the game which I bought my console for.

Thank you Naughty Dog for creating this masterpiece.
    Patrick
  28. Mar 30, 2014
    What hasn't been said about this game that hasn't already been said. This game is a masterpiece, a stroke of pure genius from Naughty Dog. From the story to the multiplayer, there is no excuse not to play this game. Its a force of nature. The story is unforgivingly tragic and straight forward, unlike most games on the market. The performances are Oscar worthy and deserve nearly all the praise it's been getting. The multiplayer is fantastic and is a breath of fresh air for Battlefield or CoD fans. If you own a PS3, there is no reason that you shouldn't buy this game, it's a masterpiece. Expand
  29. Mar 23, 2014
    If I could give this game an 11 out of 10 then I would. In terms of graphics, story, gameplay and mechanics this masterpiece is lightyears ahead of anything out there at the moment. Currently on my 7th playthrough and it hasn't lost one bit of thrill. An absolute must buy if you have a PS3. If you do have a PS3 and not this game then WHAT ARE YOU DOING !!!???
  30. Mar 26, 2014
    Perfection doesn't exist. The Last Of Us on PS3 shouldn't exist either. What sorcery is this? How is the PS3 able to have this jewel in its crown? Naughty Dog used dark magic on the PS1 to create the Crash Bandicoot games, and again on the PS3 to create Uncharted 2, but this game... it's the equivalent of Nintendo's Super Mario Galaxy 2 on the Wii, a game that shouldn't exist on that system, but it does. Expand
  31. Mar 24, 2014
    Naughty Dog did it again. They created an awesome game with an awesome storyline, awesome movements, awesome and scary enemies and of course awesome scenarios and graphics. This game is the best.
  32. Mar 28, 2014
    Easily the best game of 2013. The story is one of the most emotional ones out there, the graphics are amazing and the fact it's running on old hardware is also amazing. The multiplayer is good which you usually in single-player based games there bad. If you don't own a ps3 this is a good reason to get one.
  33. May 21, 2014
    Yeah, the story is "good" by today's standards, when it doesn't creep along at a snails pace, which is often, but the gameplay is pretty average and there are a lot of bugs and mediocre stealth gameplay.
  34. Jul 5, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Last Of Us is a game brought you by Naughty Dog, they gave us the Uncharted franchise and Jak and Daxter. But will this game be great as many people expected? Was the hype worth it? Maybe, some people call it a "masterpiece" others call it "The Best Game of All Time". This game starts out really interesting, you start to play as Sarah, daughter of Joel (the protagonist). The zombie apocalypse starts and Sarah dies. 20 years later you need to escort a girl (Ellie) across the United States Wasteland. The first thing I noticed, the voice acting was flawless and graphics looked beautiful. But my hype was over in 5 minutes because all you do in the game is walk, accompanied by some back-story, I'm not a big fan of Walk-and-Hear in videogames. But this was awful. There was no zombies in the game (they appear every 3 hours in the game). And AI is pretty much non-existent (apart from Ellie) Tess is supposed to help you dammit!

Still from those flaws, this game is still good, and overrated
    7.5/10
  35. Jun 20, 2014
    Call it an opinion if you want but my feeling is that video games differentiate themselves from other forms of media such as movies, and books by providing gameplay. The Last Of Us may easily be one of the greatest stories ever told through the medium of video games, that however does not warrent an instant 10 from me, and I feel it should apply the same to all of you. It costs less than 10 buck to go to the movies, most books cost less than 30 bucks , a good story should not cost 60. If I can beat a game under 12 hrs , in my opinion its not a good value for 60, (and it STILL costs near 60 new).
    Just for a minute lets talk about Naughty Dog, who made a serious name for themselves with the uncharted franchise. Ive played all the uncharted games, and I have to say, im suprised Naughty Dog hasent been sued for copying either the Tomb Raider games and movies, or the Indiana Jones movies, or BOTH! Then with the theme decided, they basically stuck it to a copy the God Of War game play style, and somehow the comination of thoes thing fooled everyone into thinking this game company makes original games.
    Then The Last Of Us come out in the dead middle of a huge pop culture zombie fad, and BOOM peope eat it up, and people begin to refer to Naughty Dog as Naughty God. Naughy Dog may hav fooled 9.1 out of every 10 of you into beleving that story overshadows gameplay, but im not so quick to bite the carrot at the end of the stick.
  36. Jul 1, 2014
    The Last of Us is a game with watered down physics, predictable story lines, and characters that don't really have any depth.

This game has been beaten into the ground to the point where I don't think it could have ever lived up to the hype, however, that does not justify the problems stated earlier.

Does the game look good? Yes, looks amazing! However, everything else is just...
    meh... I was very let down when I played this game and do not recommend purchasing it unless you enjoy mediocre titles. Expand
  37. Jul 20, 2014
    I got this game on Christmas and Played it for one night got stuck and never picked it back up until recently, and I regret it. THIS IS THE AMAZING SURVIVAL EXPERIENCE EVERYONE IS FAWNING OVER! It pisses me off even more that Metro Last Light came out this year and yet this piece of instant kill **** is the one that got all the attention. The game relies on the Instant killing clickers for Its difficulty, because those are the only enemy that you cant beat the **** out of. Your resources are always low not because you are constantly using them to fend of your enemies, they're limited because the world is so stupidly empty that you never had them to begin with. their is no tension about resource conservation when you NEVER GET THEM, human enemies almost never drop ammo, (which is just stupid, like I just manage to kill them when they had just used their last bullet) and guns just suck so why even use them, especially when you can LITERALLY BEAT ZOMBIES TO DEATH WITH YOUR BARE HANDS AND WIN. The game is a joke when clickers aren't around and then its only hard because they **** instant kill. Stealth is boring and has no tension because clickers are so damn easy to sneak by, (just move slow and hold still when the start to throw a hissy fit) and any other foe can just be beat to death. for a comparison lets look at Metro Last Light a far superior survival game that gets it right. supplies litter maps if you just know where to look, and the world is so detailed you'll always find new things you have to SCAVENGE and doing so is always rewarding encouraging you to do it more, while the last of us barley ever has **** anywhere, and if it is something it will always be something you don't need, like empty **** bottles. In Metro Last Light the threat comes from the enemies themselves, In the harder modes you can be quickly killed, but if your skilled enough you can avoid it, your not getting killed by a Animation is what I am saying. When you get into combat it requires the use of resources that will deplete the more YOU fail, the game gives you enough to thrive if you have the skill and if YOU **** up then YOU have to pay the price, not just get insta-killed and restart again or just punch the world to death. Metro Last Lights combat is fun, interesting, responsive, and satisfying while the last of Us has generic combat that's hard because its clunky, and I despise clunky controls because you end up fighting them more than the enemy. the stealth is where the last of us wins right? I disagree, while the stealth in Last Light is simplistic, that simplicity honestly makes it unique, whereas The Last Of Us has stealth that is just like the stealth in pretty much every other stealth game made recently, I MEAN YOU EVEN HAVE DETECTIVE VISION COME ON! But aside from that its also just annoying, there is no satisfaction and it far too often breaks and I get seen through objects or when I shouldn't, Where in Last Light I only get spotted when I made a mistake or when I should encouraging me to try harder at it and look forward to a chance to prove my skill rather than dread the next stealth section. The best way to express my dislike for this game is the simple fact that the only time I had any fun is when nothing was happening and I was constantly dreading when the game would come back. that's not the sign of a good time. Also yes the characters and voice acting are good but Im too annoyed or bored to give a **** The game part of the game has to be bearable for the story to matter and this is honestly one of the worst third person shooter OR stealth games I've played in my life. The best description I could give of this game is if someone took dead space and uncharted taped them together and striped all the aspects that made those games good out only to have a bull come in and **** all over them to fill in the gaps. This game sucks, and I will NEVER understand why people praise this "game" like the patron saint. **** this game for wasting my day and **** everyone who would call it superior to Metro Last Light, or Dead Space 3 for that matter, It would be a blasphemy to say that Last Light compares to the Worst of the Dead Space games, let alone overshadow one of the best survival games made. Expand
  38. Jul 15, 2014
    It astonishes me with amount of people who dislike this game. Although, I can agree it's not for everyone, it's still a fantastic game.

The gameplay is simple, but it has a lot of variety and allows different ways to approach levels. You can sneak past while throwing a bottle or brick to distract your enemies, or you can run through the level shooting and beating the crap out of
    enemies. Yes, its not like Metal Gear or Deus Ex, but that's because it's not supposed to be.

The Last Of Us has a simple, yet effective story with beautiful and immerse levels. You play as Joel. He'sin his early forties (or so I estimated) twenty years after the apocalypse started. You are then given your objective with escorting Ellie through a run down city. Simple. I know, but as you progress the story becomes more of a more human and emotional story.

Voice acting is superb. Troy Baker and Ashley Johnson play the characters of Joel and Ellie quite well.

The multiplayer is definitely amazing. It takes all the in game elements of the single player, and adds it to the multiplayer. Note that teamwork is key to survival.

In conclusion The Last Of Us is a beautifully, immerse game, with superb characters, fun gameplay, and a emotional tale told well. It's not for everybody, but if you're a fan of Naughty Dog, then you'll love this masterpiece. Also you can skip cut-scenes if they aren't for you.
  39. Jul 18, 2014
    Played it as my first ever PS3 game and had to note that if you aren't mastering the controller to the level that your basal ganglia takes partly over the conscious cortex functions, the game is near impossible in certain situations. The story is not typical hollywood and has some deeper moments, which is good. However, there are several logical fallacies -most importantly it sounds that the writer had no input from someone with medical/molecular biology background making for instance the vaccine subtheme unreasonable. Sure, many player might not notice these problems. Regarding the story and gameplay would have wanted less linearity and more choices. Ah yes, and the followers (e.g. Ellie if playing as Joel) often gave too many hints IMHO. The best moments were when for one or another reason you had no followers and multiple choices to solve a situation. These moments were actually enjoyable. Expand
  40. Aug 15, 2014
    Unfortunately someone on here has to write a real review so here you go, you're welcome.

The Last of Us won over 200 GOTY awards. Don't forget that fact, no Sony fan will ever let you. Does that make it a good game? Absolutely not.

As has come to be expected from Naughty Dog, The Last of Us excels in presentation. Truly, the art, overall graphics, animation, even the voice acting are
    phenomenal. You won't find better than them in any other title. Beyond Two Souls is on par, but not better, when it comes to presentation. The dialogue seems legit and it is often times entertaining.

Unfortunately after you get over that, The Last of Us is nothing more than a meme-stuffed stroll through the drudgery of not only video game cliches, but also the rest of popular media. Comparisons have been made to Cormac McCarthy and the similarity is only cosmetic if you examine the Road and TLOU side by side. Comparisons can be made to The Book of Eli, I Am Legend, and literally every other zombie movie that has ever been made - because that's what this is, an emulation of the zombie genre, but not a parody.

The gameplay in The Last of Us is absolutely mind numbing. Whether it's the lack of variety or the overall redundancy of every single segment save the very first 20 minutes of the game, there is absolutely nothing entertaining about it. As the game progresses you are simply playing a movie and the only way to progress it is to get from cutscene to cutscene. Once you realize this, you'll also come to the realization that just like Uncharted, the Last of Us is an overrated blockbuster whose merits come from technical accomplishment - and not from actual gameplay, which should be the defining characteristic of a video game.

Ignoring the plot holes involving Ellie and Joel, the gameplay changes once you switch characters, but only for about 20 minutes, and not in any way that should be remotely unfamiliar to survival horror enthusiasts. After that, the gameplay changes again from a somewhat stealth driven survival game into a flat out murder simulator, just like Uncharted, and it sheds all former pretense of being interesting, ending in one ridiculous shootout sequence that would give Uncharted 3 a run for its money.

The only saving grace to the gameplay is the multitude of multiplayer modes. Essentially it is just team deathmatch, but the survivalist aspects of the game and the moderate realism have been worked in to make it truly interesting while at the same time hilarious. I've never played another game where someone beating me to death with a plank of wood was so hilarious - whether because it's stupidly overpowered or a riot to watch.
  41. Jan 19, 2014
    Never have I completed an interactive experience such as this one. An incredibly beautifully created game with intense, solid, brutal gameplay, and a narrative that grips and keeps moving you along in a way that I've never had before. Fantastic acting and dynamic interactions. The character movement may feel a bit clunky compared to other current titles, but it's a small thing to overlook when considering the overall masterpiece that this gem really is. A greatly satisfying and thought-provoking journey. Expand
  42. Jun 16, 2013
    Excellent and good game, but I expect more of this and the reason that the ads suggest you do so!
    We hope to be next to be much better by adil khojah from saudi arabiya
  43. Aug 4, 2013
    It's the cohesiveness that astonishes The best script and cut scenes in computer games meets extremely polished gameplay and stunning set pieces all held together with pitch perfect pacing to create something that looks like an amazing movie yet still feels like a amazing game.
    Computer games aren't meant to be swimming around your head days after you complete them but this one did.
    Computer games shouldn't leve you open mouthed in awe but this one did. Computer games aren't meant to make you cry but this one did. Enough said. Expand
  44. Feb 17, 2014
    even though this game is EXTREMELY overrated, i still think "The Last of Us" is a pretty great game. my hugest issue with the game is that unlike every other stealth game there is no failsafe. once you've been spotted, there is no way out of "alert mode". besides that complaint, everything else i have to say about this game is praise. the story is excellent, the gameplay can be quite scary at times, the game can be brutally difficult if you don't play wisely, the graphics are better than most ps4 games out right now and even the multiplayer is really fun Expand
  45. Sep 18, 2013
    This is my first review for metacritic. And there's no better game to start off with.

If the Last of Us isn't game of the year, demand a recount. This is one of the most enjoyable games for the PS3. The story, although often rehashed with the premise of surviving a zombie ridden world, TLOU provides a great story. Joel, is paired up with Ellie, a young girl who seems to be the key to
    ending or at least surpress the spread of zombies. Ellie is immune, and a group called the Fireflies wants to get a hold of Ellie. That's all I'll say for now. The presentation or visuals, gritty, dark, perfect. You really get that feeling of wanting to survive. The sound, music fits right in with what's happening on screen, the voice acting is great. The clickers are as creepy as they look. I dare anyone to play this on their sound system at night, late night. The combat is where it shines. You are limited in ammunition and weapons in general. I really felt the need to move around and make sure my shots count. There's an excellent crafting system as well. You get to craft shivs), bombs, smoke bombs, and molotovs. The enemies, a rebel group of hunters, the aforementioned fireflies, and the zombies, which are called clickers. They come in different versions depending on how long someone has been infected. This might be my only real gripe about the game. There were many variations of clickers but I felt as if there should have been more. It's minor. Once you complete the game, you have the option to try it again on harder difficulties. I'm on new game plus.

And then there's the online. This is a breath of fresh air! Warning, if you're a COD gamer, the online is not for you. The online is much slower paced and incorporates the crafting system found in the single player. Nicely done. Teamwork is the main key to the online. In one mode, supply raid, each team has 20 reinforcements or tickets. When a player dies, a reinforcement is used. The team that runs out of reinforcements loses. There's also a no supply raid (no respawn) mode and an interrogation mode. The downside is there are only 3 modes but there's much potential to have more. Interrogation was the new mode added recently.

If you're looking for a great adventure/survival game, The Last of Us is the game to play.
  46. Mar 8, 2014
    The greatest game of this generation. We dive into this universe in awe and full emotion capacity. The Last Of Us portrays its message clearly and gives us an experience that we may never get again (unless Naughty Dog tops it off with a sequel, which is not impossible btw, hehe.) But hey, I have never played a video game as spectacular as this. I can emphasize with the story and the way it invites us to enter its universe is really marvelous. An unforgettable video game, it still resonates to this day in my mind. Expand
  47. Jul 12, 2013
    Recipe for one of the greatest games ever. 1part Resident Evil, 1 part Metal Gear Solid, 1 part Far Cry 3. These are the 3 games that came to mind when playing, "The Last of Us". Whomever was responsible for RE 5 and 6, should be ashamed of themselves after playing this game. This is how Survival horror should be done. I wouldn't be surprised if future developers copy the formula for this game. It is a thrilling roller coaster ride of feelings and emotions while playing. It is my first game in which the narrative actually made me uncomfortable during CG scenes. How the developers blended survival horror with stealth was genius. When enemies are alerted, the game actually sounds off with the same alert you hear when playing Metal Gear. It makes me wonder, if they had to liscense that from Konami. Ammo? Yes, there is ammo, and health kits, and craftable items. However, these items are scarce, and when you do come across them. BUCKLE UP!! because your going for a gut wrenching, intense ride of gameplay that you've never experienced. The Uncharted simuarities are here as well. The Graphics, cut scenes, and even some light platforming elements brought Uncharted to mind. The slight visual cues of where to go next we're a nice touch and typical of naughty dog games. My comparison to Far Cry 3 is small, but it was there. Every time you run into a group of enemies, there is a strategy you can formulate to take them all down in your most efficient way possible. Some encounters, you don't even have to fight if you choose the stealthiest path. Good luck with that. Why? because when you encounter your first human enemy, you will be terrified. You will panic and probably try to Call of Duty them to death, and you will lose. Then you will have your first run in with an infected, and the same thing will happen. At some point you will hide behind cover for awhile and hope they just go away. But they won't. You will have to engage at some point and attempt to dispatch them, while your mouth fills with vomit from the constant stress and anxiety you will experience. There is down time. During these moments, things will appear tranquill and serene. You will ask questions of the world created by Naughty Dog. How can post apocolypto be some pretty and f'd up at the same time? After your nerves are racked, there will be moments of, "why is the game prompting me to pick up this weapon?" why is there unlimited ammo for a moment? "OH! so you can kick my ass some more......" End scene, and some down time before they mind F you some more. Unbelieveable. Anyone that owns a PS3 should purchase this game. I personally loved it and hated it at the same time. I am not a fan of stealth games like Metal Gear, Splinter Cell and some of my worst moments of Assassins Creed games. It makes me want to go back and try those games again. I feel like i've just been sent to Survival Horror, Stealth bootcamp. The great part is, the game does a great job of building you up and ripping you down. In it's finale, you will have a variety of killing devices at you diposal. I guarantee you won't use them. Because the game sucks? NO!! because by the time you arrive at the finish line, it's crucibal, you will be a seasoned killing machine, that relys on cunning tactics and stealth to get through. You will feel empowered, like a predator stalking it's prey. Your enemies will fear you, and you will be numb with emotion. All the items in your inventory are there to tease the weak. Those that decide to Rambo their way through the end, will have missed out on what makes it great. Which is why the game punishes you for using that type of strategy. It can be done, but it will be a harder path. Those indaviduals that can stay calm and focus their emotions will get most of what this world is all about. It took me 2 weeks to beat this game. Partly because of my disdain for games like this and also becuase it terrified me. Anymore than 45- 60 min a sitting was all I could stomach. I was petrified of what was waiting for me around every corner. I thought this game was great. It was made for everybody and nobody at the same time. Most people play video games to have fun and let loose. This game is not fun. Not in the way that your used to anyway. Gamers that love this stuff, will......have fun...most of us will be all screwed up and distraught after playing. The thing is, this sort of game has been done before. Just not quite like this. It has a genre unto its own. The Last of Us really does reinvent the wheel to some extent. The reason why it messes with you, is because the experiences it delivers are new and fresh. The same infected zombie that freaked you in the early parts of the game, will still freak you out in the end. The game doesn't give you a chance to be comfortable with your surroundings. Im giving it a ten only because it blew my mind. How could I not. I've been a gamer for 30+ years, and never has a game nocked my nitz off like "The Last of Us". Expand
  48. Jul 3, 2013
    While this game has a great storyline, great acting and great single player although extremely linear...Naughty Dog failed to provide decent multi-player which has the same tired feel of the COD games levelling up rubbish. Totally unbalanced until you level up past a certain point. This alone will make most newcomers to the multi-player game not want to bother. Also, while I'm sure there will be DLC with new modes...its basically Team Death match.

All in all just rent the game and enjoy it that way...instead of selling it in a couple of weeks.
  49. Oct 8, 2013
    It's a Naughty Dog game, does anything else really need to be said? Expect excellence because this game will gut punch you out of your seat from the very opening scene, and never let you go.
  50. Jun 19, 2013
    I have always said that my favourite games of all time are Zelda OoT, Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy (8&10) as they are great childhood memories, however this game is now in my top 5 games I have played... Ever! I prefer Playstation however I have been more of a 360 gamer apart from PS3 exclusives (although PS4 seems to have sorted things out for online chat etc) but no matter what your preferred console is ANY bad review for this game is just retarded and a joke on you for wasting your time. Naughty Dog amazed me with Uncharted but TLOU is better, honestly this game is just pure epic and is better then ANY game I have played in the last 10 years. Some people on here say Bioshock was better, I was a massive fan of Bioshock 1 but I actually sold Bioshock Infinite without even getting half way through the game. Anyway if you still reading reviews on this (I know I'm a bit late to write a review but I've been playing the game) just go out and buy it! I rate MGS incredibly high in my best games ever list and TLOU I actually prefer over MGS4. Don't know what else to say but a massive thank you to the whole team at Naughty Dog, I will be playing this game for years to come and buying old consoles in 10 years time to play it again. Masterpiece and its up there with the best games of all time for me. Brilliant Game!! Expand
  51. Jun 20, 2013
    I'm about 75% through this game right now and it's been a blast so far. The visuals, environments, and character models are gorgeous. The post apocalyptic world/zombie theme has been done over and over again, but the characters and their struggles in this game more than make up for it. The gameplay is very much Uncharted, but less action heavy and more stealthy, as you really have to have a good strategy to take down enemies in this game. The Last of Us is kind of a miss mash of open world, third person action, stealth, and shooter all in one. This game is definitely not a mindless shooter though, you need to strategize and actually think about how to proceed with certain situations in the game. The only complaints I have about the game is the confusing weapons menu system, having to "create" health packs and hold up R1 to use it, and the fact that some can somehow survive multiple shotgun blasts...A solid 9/10 though. Expand
  52. Sep 12, 2013
    Yeah it's a 10. This game will really put you through it. The characters are best that I've ever come across in a video game and it isn't even close. The world design is brilliant and exactly what I would imagine in a post human environment. The story is also top notch and the developers really put their own unique stamp on the genre it really did seem plausible. The Uncharted games were more lighthearted and fun (and also super great) but the Last of Us really reaches another level of immersion and gritty realism that I didn't think was possible with video games. It's something you just have to experience.

Naughty Dog is head and shoulders above other game design companies and I can't wait to see what they do for PS4. I will buy all of their games for years to come.
  53. Feb 15, 2014
    Best Game of 2013. Gameplay, story, graphics, characters design... every single thing.
    The only thing i didnt like of it was its soundtrack, pretty lame work by Santaolalla, as always.
  54. Jul 5, 2013
    This game singlehandedly glued me back to my PS3. So far, the great games of 2013 like Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite found its way into my Steam library on my PC, but exclusives like The Last of Us is what keeps me going back to my PS3. This new release from Naughty Dog features mind-blowing graphics that somehow took advantage of the PS3’s dated hardware and provides smooth performance and framerates without any screen tearing. The storytelling and characters was done so freakin’ perfectly, I don’t even know where to start. Some characters, like Ellie, I just adored, while I truly despised the military and the hunters. More importantly, the actual relationships that develop between characters left me captivated with Naughty Dog’s ability to portray characters reacting and cooperating with one another during moments of extreme crisis. At no point throughout the entire 15+ hour campaign did my interest in the characters diminish. In fact, the pacing of the story was so flawless, I actually grew more and more interested in the characters as I progressed further into the game. The voice acting had the quality of a high budget Hollywood film, and cut scenes featured lifelike animations, giving me the impression that I was watching a movie. I’m not sure if The Last of Us has the best story *ever* in a video game. CD Projekt’s The Witcher franchise or Bioware’s Mass Effect series have impressed me more with their incredible background stories and game worlds, but no game can compete with The Last of Us’ cinematic presentation of its story and character development.

The Last of Us features a hybrid formula of gameplay with new creative ideas in addition to some old gaming elements that I’ve missed from classic games. In The Last of Us, you won’t regenerate your health over time like you normally would in other shooting games, and the various gadgets that you can craft allows you to use your imagination when engaging a group of hostiles. You could stealth kill a couple enemies, bait the rest into a confined area from the sound of a tossed bottle and have a nail bomb waiting to greet them. Or perhaps you’re low on supplies and will have to manage by tossing that bottle at an enemy and race towards your dazed target to use him as a human shield while gunning down the rest of your foes. The Last of Us offers incredible replay value with its new game plus feature. There are around 10 upgradable weapons, 7 different skills and a dozen training manuals that carry over into NG+. You’ll feel like a juggernaut once everything’s maxed out and will have a ton of fun adventuring through future playthroughs with all your previous equipment and collectibles. The Last of Us features the best gameplay Naughty Dog has offered yet.

Naughty Dog has no limits when it comes to creativity. The Last of Us will have other developers quaking at the prospect to match the quality of this masterpiece. I had very high and unrealistic expectations for this new release, and I *still* got what I expected and more. The Last of Us induced emotional reactions from me that few Hollywood movies have accomplished. The Witcher 2 will most likely remain as my favorite game of all time, but I’ve never been immersed into a video game this much since The Witcher 2’s release back in mid-2011. From a climactic cut scene making me shed a tear to laughing at Ellie’s silly joke book, The Last of Us has given me an unforgettable gaming experience and won me over for game of the year for 2013. This was, by far, the most gratifying 60 dollars I’ve spent in a long, long time.
  55. Aug 21, 2013
    The Last of Us is a REALLY difficult game to review. On one hand, it has hands down the best story, characterizations and acting I've ever come across in a game. It even puts the likes of Telltale's The Walking Dead to shame. The game makes you feel sad and angry at all the right moments. It is absolutely perfect in that regard and a new benchmark for gaming. That said, gameplay wise, The Last of Us often treads uneven ground. The game is very repetitive. You enter an area, kill or sneak past a finite amount of enemies and then escape that area via a ladder wheely bin garage door floating pallet. Then you enter the next area and do exactly the same. Aside from aesthetic changes, there is almost no deviation in this routine. Why Joel and Ellie can seemingly always find a ladder or pallet whenever they need one is quite the mystery indeed. It kind of reminds me of the old Adam west Batman TV show, where the Bats had a repellent for every known situation ever developed (shark repellent bear repellent heterosexual repellent... etc). The sheer stupidity of that mechanic broke immersion many, many times. The combat is decent enough. The human enemy A.I is nice, with lots of flanking and cover tactics being employed. The stealthy monster takedowns feel very gamey and arena based but they're OK too. The difficulty can be pretty harsh at times. This was a game that I had to repeat many different sections of. It can get frustrating because the checkpoint system sends you right back to the start of the 'arena' you're in, sometimes deleting a fair amount of hard-fought progress. Overall, The Last of Us was a very memorable experience. There was far too much stupidity and frustration in the gameplay for it to be perfect but that story... Wow! Expand
  56. Jun 22, 2013
    Truly a masterpiece. Great single player mode and fantastic online mode.Online mode is so good its addictive.What a way to end the ps3 with a last exclusive.I can see why all critics are giving this game a glowing review.Absolutely wonderful.
  57. Jul 26, 2013
    A masterpiece that redefines what games can accomplish at multiple levels. Excelent storytelling, great mechanics, addictive gameplay and technically the most advanced current gen game.
  58. Apr 26, 2014
    Masterpiece. Only one word is needed to review this game. It's simply something beautiful, memorable, emotional and incredibly special. Non- PS3 owners shall envy this game and they should. This is certainly a once in a generation experience and while it isn't a game in the most typical sense, it's something games haven't gone before. A game that genuinely will make you cry and never forget some of the disturbing choices you are forced to make. An ending, that sticks with you and will never let go. Please don't miss out on this incredible experience especially if you own the PS3, it could well likely be the best game you've ever experienced. Expand
  59. Jun 21, 2013
    This game is unrivaled in everything it succeeds at... which is everything that it does. Undoubtedly one of the greatest games of this (or any) generation. The PS3's swan song is a testament to what games have become; story-driven epics that bring out all human emotion.

The Last of Us is truly a masterpiece and anyone who says otherwise is fooling themselves.
  60. Jul 7, 2013
    Any title as well reviewed as the Last of Us will always be a target for people looking for attention. All I can say is ignore them because this is undoubtedly one of the games of the current console generation.

Anything this ambitious will of course have a few minor flaws (the most noticeable being the odd occasion in which your companion stands out in the open and doesn’t get seen)
    but these are easy to ignore thanks to the virtually perfect mix of cinematic storytelling and superbly tense gameplay that kept me enthralled for the entire 17 hours it took me to complete it. If you don’t own a PS3 there is no better reason to buy one than The Last of Us. Expand
  61. Sep 29, 2013
    The Last Of Us is an amazing game with an amazing graphics and a great story. The characters are great, I really fell in love with Ellie and this was actually the first game I cried during the game :D. So, the story is great, graphics are great, characters are great, but when it comes to the gameplay, it was nothing special, it was okay, but it was not smooth enough for my taste. The game is amazing, but it's a game so for me the gameplay is the most important thing and that's why I can't give it 10/10, but I'm really looking forward what kind of masterpiece ND will make for PS4, and if they make TLOU 2 with better graphics, it will probably get 10/10 from me. Expand
  62. Sep 12, 2013
    One of the best games of all time, definitely in Top 10 at least. I bought my PS3 for this game (and with the added bonus of other great games of course).
  63. Feb 28, 2014
    This is an Epic survival zombie game with a great story that takes place in a post-apocalyptic world with nice detailed scenery. The stealthing is smooth and gun (or bow!) -slinging feels proper. I really like that there is a natural dialogue between the characters as you play through the game. It has a good gameplay design, but one thing I didn't like about it is that you upgrade your weapons. I have grown a bit tired of all the unlocks and leveling up in games these days, but its a minor detail here. Playing this title is an experience and it is one of my favourite games of ALL times! Expand
  64. Jun 19, 2013
    I am speechless, absolutely flawless. What an experience! This is some milestone type of game for the video game industry right there. Naughty Dog really over got over themselves. Imagine what they can do with the Playstation 4, can't wait!
  65. Nov 8, 2013
    One of the best games ever from a story and character development standpoint. People saying this is just a movie? Sure it has 3 hours of cut-scenes, but 10-13 hours of gameplay. This story is so gripping, no other game has made you feel so attached to the characters. This is a masterpiece.
  66. Sep 11, 2013
    The Last of Us can easily be, in my opinion, the best PS3 game that Sony has ever released. Naughty Dog's contribution to this gen console is above and beyond your basic third person action game. The world they've created with the Last of Us is believable as well as tense. Within the first five minutes you feel for Joel as this pandemic hits him especially hard and the game uses the moment to tug at your emotions to where you want to put yourself in its place. The game is taut, filled with suspense, and makes you think of what people will actually do to survive day by day and you ask yourself, what if this was me. If you haven't played this game yet you are missing out on one of the best experiences that the PlayStation 3 has to offer. If you do not have a PS3 then buy one, because this game will not let you down. Expand
  67. Dec 30, 2013
    We are now within the final years of the PS3, and Naughty Dog decided to make them the finest. It's like they took "Uncharted", "Resistance" and "Heavy Rain" together, and made what we call "The Last of Us". I'm no fan of horror games, so I don't know how their supposed to be in general, but to me this game was very scary. The stealth sections just intensify that fear; so much that I feel like going guns blazing to get over it. And while you can go gun blazing, it has its costs: you put yourself and other allies at greater risk, and you end up wasting ammo. Speaking of ammo, you really must conserve as you can't carry much, and finding ammo is rare. And when you do find it, it's not much. So use your guns as a FINAL RESORT. And no rechargeable health here either; it's back to finding medkits. And even though you can carry medkits, using them will leave you vulnerable.

Now onto the story. It is one of the greatest and most personal stories ever written. This isn't about the disease, or mankind. It's about Joel and Ellie. They are very human and you'll want to see how their relationship develops over the course of the story. Not spoiling anything, but let's just say that there are times that will make you say, "Would I have done that?"

As for online, it's quite fun. You really need teamwork. And no gun-blazing or rechargeable health either. Leave you Call of Duty attitude at the door, and you'll do well.

Games like these tell us not to abandon the PS3 yet. And if you don't have a PS3, now is the time. So what if it's 7 years old? That just means you have seven years worth of epic games in its library, and "The Last of Us" is one of them.
  68. Jul 14, 2013
    This is a damn good movie, err--- I mean game... The Last of Us has knocked the graphics section out of the park, and although the gameplay isn't too exciting to watch; when you actually play it, it feels surprisingly accurate and refined (for a videogame, that is.) The game is partially flawed however, introducing us to (very) bad characters and a movie-like setup, but it can be forgiven as the writers try to show what standards have to be set in such a world their characters are living it. It's not out of the question that this has me feeling just how to well this game was designed and set up (overall). It really is worth your time, go for it! Expand
  69. Feb 13, 2014
    The Last of Us is an achievement in gaming, not just in 2013, but all time. It is also a perfect way to bookend this generation of gaming. The Last of Us has one of the most engaging story I have ever experienced in a game. Not because its really original, but because how well executed it is. From the voice acting, motion capture, score, to the beautiful graphics, it all pulls you in right from the first shot. Game-play-wise it is a strategic stealth/action game that has some of the most brutal action I've seen in any form of entertainment. If you own a PS3 you need to play The Last of Us. You owe it to yourself to play the PS3's crowning jewel! Expand
  70. Jul 2, 2013
    Before the release of The Last of Us, Naughty Dog expressed their focus with the game: Narrative and emotion. These two things are arguably the weakest overall aspects of games on the market, and this issue has been addressed and the bar set. The characters are full of depth and realism, and you deeply care for them by the end. You are emotionally connected to these characters. When a person is emotionally invested in something, every aspect about it is highlighted or emphasized in some way. The gameplay is slow, but perfect. Combat is brutal and heavy. Every shot, punch, and swing of the bat feels satisfying. The stealth is largely basic, but any other editions would have felt contrived. The multiplayer is amazing as well. Similar in pace to the singleplayer, small teams allow for strategic play and refreshing competitive competition. You'll be hoping that the future DLC will add on to the somewhat slim experience. For some time now, many others have tried to do what Naughty Dog has done, but have failed. They've sacrificed interesting gameplay for a strong narrative. These games are not balanced, and split their audience. The Last of Us hits this balance perfectly. It's refreshing to see a game succeed in every objective it set out to do. You won't forget this classic game anytime soon. One of the generation's greats. Expand
  71. Sep 21, 2013
    One of the best games available for the PS3. Big on story that draws you in. I expected a Resident Evil type of gameplay taking down hoards of undead but you actually wind up killing about 50x more people. It's a bit depressing, as almost every human encounter turns for the worse having humanity show it's dark side. It does make the story all the more compelling however. It will have you on the edge of your seat all the way through. I thought I knew how the game would end, but I was surprised. Completed the game in ~14 hours. Expand
  72. Jul 27, 2013
    Whilst some may find the 10/10 surrounding thus game hyperbole, and they are in some ways correct it is still very deserving of its 10 nonetheless. There are hundreds of other user reviews on here but what I want to deliver is my critique of the game and what despite this being a masterpiece could have had significant improvement.

So The Last Of Us at first appears a typical
    post-apocalyptic zombie story with all the tropes to prove it, burning buildings, panic and quarantine zones. But at the heart of the story is something more profound a story that in its trope filled plot has a deeper vein that tells an altogether more important story than anything before it in this medium. It is a narrative that from its first 15 minute intro engrosses the player into the game and has you controlling events that would usually be relegated to the work of only the CG. These 15 minutes are poignant, poetic and thought provoking just as the final 15 minutes of the game are too this story is about humanity's decline from what once was and most of all the relationships that form in these situations, those who have never known anything outside of this 'dying' world. Though the word 'dying' might not quite fit. Building structures appear heavily damaged cars ravaged by nature and yet without spoiling the plot nature continues to live on past the remnants of humanity's previous luxuries.

But whilst the story does all these things there are certain immersion breaking moments that can take you completely out of it in gameplay. The gameplay can at times feel frustrating with the occasional check point that spawns you right in the middle of combat being shot at or the loud footsteps of Ellie as you stealth kill a clicker. Whilst these aren't completely game breaking they are issues that could have been addressed. Of course the gameplay for the most part has some of the best survival gameplay of any game so far and there are certain areas in the game that are scarier than the last 3 RE games. This is survival as you craft together the items you need in real time, change weapons in real time and bandage yourself up in real time. The real time (seeing how many times I can say it in a couple of sentences!) elements are extremely effective and give a sense of panic as your pistol runs out of ammo and you need to switch gun but the enemy is coming straight at you, it means deep, tactical combat both in multiplayer and in single player as you find the right time to craft items or change weapons for certain situations.

Another issue for some might be the pacing. The game is split into chapters which are then split into 4 distinct sections Autumn, Winter, Spring and Summer. However the first section of the game is undoubtedly the slowest. It starts off at an extremely fast pace with many plot elements but towards the middle of this initial section it might feel too slow for some despite being at a nice steady pace which allows for characterisation and development. From here on in the game picks up the pace in more short and distinct sections that allow the player to still explore but also throws in more unique situations for the player to deal with.

Finally the AI from the game is a bit strange because although for the most part it is seemingly quite intelligent there are certain parts of the game where you will wonder why the AI performs a specific action, though these are rare they can be frustrating to see. Although hardly happening to me the friendly AI occasionally shot in sections when I wanted to stealth the enemies and it lead to disaster in a situation that could altogether have been avoided. Although again there was only two occurrences with this it is worth noting still. Also enemies will occasionally see a body and not even question its presence there and at other times are so smart they can deduct your position like they are using a GPS.

In conclusion the Last Of Us then is a Masterpiece but not one without some issues as Uncharted, Mass Effect, Ocarina of time and other greats are not without their issues, The Last Of Us stands as one of the best games of the last 7 years (this console generation) and deserves its time at the top of the charts and its critical acclaim. It is a game which undoubtedly cements Naughty Dog as one of the best AAA development houses in the world, and one of the biggest assets Sony has acquired in the last decade.

Gameplay 9.6
    Sound 10
    Story/Plot: 10
    Lasting Appeal: 10
    Presentation: 10

Overall: 10/10 Masterpiece, If you have a PS3 you owe it to yourself to try this out even if it isn't your cup of tea!
  73. Jun 21, 2013
    "The Last of Us" is a crowning masterpiece. Some of the most incredible story telling I've ever seen. Unlike anything I've ever experienced in a video game. With a "No Country For Old Men" & "I Am Legend" like feel to it, but mostly something entirely of it's own. With this post apocalyptic setting, you will travel with Joel & Ellie through one hell of a crazy, intense & emotional journey, as these two characters fight & struggle to survive this impossible, terrifying world, and will build, over time, a stronger bond together because of it. You have NEVER experienced anything like this before. Trust me. If you have a PlayStation 3 The Last of Us must NOT be missed. Hell, if you don't have a PS3 already BUY a PS3 just for this game. That's money you won't regret spending, and THAT is a guarantee. Expand
  74. Jul 1, 2013
    Purchased the game on the release date. Played through the single player story on Hard difficulty. It took me 21 hours to complete. Played about 2 hours of multiplayer. My impressions: Story is fantastic. The character development is very good and I liked how the world was fleshed out via optional conversations, newspaper clippings, notes and other artifacts. The graphics are incredible and probably the best I've seen on PS3. (I saw one review compare this to the PC, which is a stupid and meaningless comparison since the hardware is not comparable).
    The controls are tight, although it took me some time to get accustomed since I don't play many 3rd person games (only played Uncharted 1 for Naughty Dog games).
    Sound is great, with well-suited music that sets the right tone and some scary effects from the infected.
    The gameplay is somewhat limited to the stealth mechanic, although you do gunfight with bandits and use a cover system. I like the stealth mechanic and the listen mode, which allows you to listen and then see enemies through walls.

Multiplayer:
    It's a pretty different experience. Teamwork and stealth are important. There is some decent depth in terms of perk upgrades and weapons. It's 4 v 4 so it's pretty important to work together and it can be tough with strangers who don't mesh. I liked it quite a bit but I am still learning to craft items (like in the single player) and move with strategy.

I've read some other comments and some thing I do agree with:
    Once you've completed the single player you may not want to play again since the story is known. There is a Survivor difficulty which takes away the listen mode and a New Game which still allows you to keep weapon and ability upgrades. There are also collectibles to find, some of which enhance your abilities. I looked as much as possible but missed quite a bit. At the Hard difficulty I had to replay much but I think 15-20 hours is probably normal time.

The mulitplayer is good, but I'm not sure I'm into it enough to play it for a very long time (i.e. 20+ hours). Still a good amount of content though.There is also DLC coming (for both single and multiplayer) if you are into that.

I guess this could be the only criticism that there is somewhat limited replay value but it is there and there are trophies for completionists. I would consider reasonable scores to be 7 -10, anything lower I think is unreasonable but you can decide for yourself.

One last point this game does use an online pass so used sales will probably not have multiplayer access.
  75. Jun 16, 2013
    Ok, I like this game but it wasn't what I was expecting. It's a great story, great atmosphere, sound effects, music, etc. The shooting mechanics are very clunky which makes shooting difficult (for me at least). I was expecting a game more focused on gameplay rather than story and atmosphere. I thought it would have a lot of platforming and puzzles but it hardly has any. And anyone that wrote a review here that said that graphics are good, hasn't actually played the game because the graphics are absolute garbage, for any developers standards, let alone ND which is supposed to be the best in the biz when it comes to graphics. The design of the levels are really good, but it looks terrible. I was really upset with this game because I have been looking forward to it for so long. It still gets an 8 because despite the issues I mentioned, its still a great game my expectations were just too high... oh yeah, multiplayer is garbage too but at least they have round based, non respawn Expand
  76. Jun 24, 2013
    I only played some of the story mode but so far it's great. I mean there are flawed moments. How can every story be perfect? I say this is almost perfect and as for multiplayer. I'll say it's like anything I've played so far. Sure it's another shooter but the the whole crafting thing makes it fun and the upgrades on the spot adds a spice to it. I've been playing more of the multiplayer but don't get me wrong, the story mode is already epic. In the beginning of it, right off the bat, it's awesome. Naughty Dog has done it again! Expand
  77. Xon
    Mar 16, 2014
    Truly an extraordinary game. An incredible work of art. The game might falter here and there, but this doesn't detract from a game that sets out - and achieves - to create an immaculately immersive world with characters that have real presence who elicit an emotional response. I wish there were more games like this, but it is "one of a kind".
  78. Jun 21, 2013
    Excellent gaming experience, and I hope they don't explore Ellie's and Joel's relationship in any post ending DLC because the ending was phenomenal. Very slight texture problems in the distance but I don't blame Naughty Dog its still beautiful
  79. Jul 20, 2013
    Ok where to begin! The story line is pretty awesome, my only complain was the ending (not going to give any spoilers) I personally did not fully agree with how the game ended but it makes sense overall so its not going to affect the score. I played through the game fully twice on Hard and Survivor and both times were equally as fun which is very rare to find in a game but as with Uncharted, Naughty Dog hit it out of the park. Now to the reason I didn't give it a perfect 10. While I do think the multiplayer has fun and great potential to be great I expected a "horde" mode or some sorta infected/zombie related situation but there is nothing. This pretty much defeats a large portion of the game's focus which is this out break. Beyond that the game was fantastic in almost every way I could imagine possible! Expand
  80. Jun 20, 2013
    Naughty dog has outdone themselves again. The story draws you in to loving characters based on how human their flaws are and has a distinct Cohen brothers style of ending that makes you think about the characters and how nuanced they are. All of this is built on top of a sturdy foundation of stealth gameplay and a great leveling system. It's broken into 4 chapters that all have the emotional impact to stand on their own. Expand
  81. Sep 17, 2013
    This is the best game i have ever played. The story and characters are simply sensational. The relationship between Joel and Ellie is simply amazing and is on another level compared to other games. The story is gripping and makes you so emotionally involved. I cried about 7 times throughout this game because it simply made me care for everyone in the game. The gameplay is absolutely solid and fits the game perfectly. This is the best game of this generation and naughty dog have set a very high standard that i think will be near impossible to match Expand
  82. Jun 20, 2013
    The Last of Us is the best game on the PS3, and one of the best games I have ever played. The gameplay is unique/challenging, the characters are lovable and the story is poignant. While the game is violent, it's never gratuitous out of the blue, the violence makes sense in the world Naughty Dog created.

The gameplay practically requires treading carefully through levels. This is
    something I love in games. This, coupled with limited ammo/health while throwing in a slew of infected enemies, provides a genuinely nerve racking experience. If you got shot, you feel Joel's pain. When you have 3 bullets and numerous enemies surrounding your position, you have to out-think/out-maneuver the enemies by using the environment to your advantage.

The graphics are superb. It's the best looking game on PS3 no question about it. The Sound is amazing as well, from the music to the enemies, everything is top notch. One of the infected, aptly known as "Clickers" use echolocation to hunt humans. While they are blind, their keen sense of sound allows them to track your location with the slightest movement. When this happens, they make a terrifying clicking sound to alert other infected nearby. It is genuinely terrifying when this happens.

All in all, it is a terrific game that I would recommend to most people. With that said, this game isn't for everyone. For one, if you like action adventure games where you are supplied with countless weapons, armor and ammo, The Last of Us isn't for you. If you are offended by mature violence, themes and language, The Last of Us isn't for. If however, you can handle the mature themes, this game is a MUST PLAY. It's a Masterpiece, plain and simple.
  83. Apr 5, 2014
    The Last of Us is a gorgeous and thrilling game with a superb story and great game mechanics. The graphics are stunning and the characters are very memorable and unique. In terms of gameplay mechanics, it plays like Uncharted without a cover system or a climbing system and much more brutal melee mechanics. It also has a superb multiplayer mode and a New Game+ mode to keep you playing after you finish the 12+ hour campaign. If you have a PS3, you MUST buy this game. Expand
  84. Jan 16, 2014
    This game is great. It's enjoyable, has a fantastic storyline, and is packed full of emotion and grit.
    The ingame relationship between Joel and Ellie is well made, and shows how they fight for survival against the frightning zombies.While the game does offer some new groundbreaking features, it can get a little bit repetitive.

The enemies are really well made. Everything from the
    bandits to the zombies look and feel real. During the Clicker scenes, you can't help feeling scared while you're crawling along the floor with clicking in your ear. The game is very emotional, and all the cutscenes are amazing.

But this game does have some cons. As mentioned by some people, enemies do not react to your team mates (Ellie for example). Especially with Bill, he runs like a bloody elephant, and nothing detects him. But if you screw up one tiny bit, the Clickers'll get you. Also, the shooting mechanics are a bit frustrating. To veteran PS3 players, it's a walk in the park, but me (who is new to consoles), it is difficult aiming a pistol.

(Kudos to the people who designed, animated and created the Clickers. Those are some funky as enemies, and one of the greatest zombie types of all time.)

Regarding crafting, what can I say? You scavenge parts and use them to craft items, upgrade your weapons and make Joel be able to shoot faster etc. There is a lot of loot lying around, and you can't be too picky in this time of apocalypse...

All I can say is, get this game. It is an emotional rollercoaster!
  85. Jul 17, 2013
    Not playing this game any more makes me sad. It's one of those, like when House finished. It's all
    About the characters, you really care about them. Compared to PC gaming the graphics aren't amazing (needs a little anti aliasing) but it's so beautiful. Makes me want to live in post zombie apocalypse America.
  86. Jun 21, 2013
    I give this game an 8.5!

It's a great game, with a production value that stands among the greats of this generation! The dialogue and voice acting are absolutely amazing, though I would have liked a tiny bit more diversity with the dialogue choices you make a la Mass Effect. That would have been the cherry on the cake.

Gameplay-wise, that's where the game lost a few points for me.
    The gameplay mechanic is very well done and I like that you can upgrade your character's skills and weapons. But the level design is somewhat bland, for the exception of a couple of chapters that stands out! The puzzles, if they are considered puzzles, are absolute no brainers, which is a shame for this type of game. The combat is also very unbalanced, in my opinion. I don't like the fact that the clickers and bloaters can one-hit kill you! Being one shot is not a fun gameplay design! It never is, in any game! Yes I know you can upgrade your shiv to be able to counter the clickers' grapple, but it should have been by default anyway, knowing that you can only carry 3 breakable shivs at anytime anyway! Also, I don't like the fact that it takes 3-4-5 bullets/arrows to take down a human enemy! I mean, the game tries it's best to look as realistic as possible, but man if I snipe a guy in the head, he should die, even if he has a freaking helmet on or not! If I shoot you with a shotgun point blank, you die, Kevlar vest or not! If I impale you with an arrow, you are not in top shape condition to fight afterwards, you are either very wounded or dying! Even on higher difficulty levels, it should not take more bullets than it realistically needs to kill a non super-human in a game! What should change in a higher difficulty is the amount of damage you can take though and the enemy AI should become smarter. That's a mistake so many games make and it would make the game's battles much more interesting, especially since one hit stealth kills are so important in this game. I don't see why ranged battles should be any different.

The music does an awesome job at setting the mood right at any situation. And the sound effects are top notch.

Multiplayer is also a cool addition, though not necessary to enjoy the game! The meat of the game definitely resides in it's single player mode.

Overall, The Last of Us is great game, if not one of the best this year, but I do not believe it deserves all the praise it has been given by the press. It has its flaws and some gameplay hiccups that keep it from achieving greatness.
  87. Jul 12, 2013
    I entered the game with mixed feelings as I mostly just enjoy multiplayer competitive games and not single player mode. The game is a must have for any ps3 owner. Somehow it just captures the emotions and struggles faced by the two main characters as well as the others you have quick encounters with. Most games fail in this regard where I do not care even a bit about their past and just want to skip the dialogue to finish the game.

This game makes you afraid of pressing the skip button by accident. Seriously.

*Note have not played the multiplayer
  88. Nov 5, 2013
    I play computer games less and less these days so games have to be truly good for me to fully complete them. The last of us is one of those games, fantastic graphics, gripping story line and natural game play. It is everything resident evil 6 should have been. Hopefully this is the future of computer games.
  89. Aug 4, 2013
    simply a wonderful game to end the generation. The characters are well developed, the world that has been created is interesting and bleak, the combat is intense and enjoyable and the overall tone and emotion of the game is something that is completely unique. There are moments within this game that truly must be experienced. it is a shame it is on only on the playstation as every deserves to play this wonderful game. Expand
  90. Jun 22, 2013
    A literal masterpiece. I've never had a video game make me experience emotions like this. I literally shed tears in the first 15 minutes of the game. Simply amazing.
  91. Jun 19, 2013
    This game is very detailed it's outstanding. You have to play the game correctly (something Tom Chick at quarter to three obviously didn't do) which means intelligently. Sometimes you will have no choice but to stealth around the enemy with a solid stealth system and at other times stealth isn't an option and you have to smartly use every resource available to survive encounters. The game isn't hard if your smart about encounters with enemys, it can be repetitive but it firmly sets it in reality. One section of the game see's you getting a car, another see's you escaping a city, they're all sensible goals which ground the last of us in reality. The story is sweet and touching but the ending took me a while of thinking to properly appreciate it.

But I would be lying if I didn't say the highlights of the last of us are in the story and fighting. The true highlight is exploring the world, some people say the last of us is very linear but the areas you can explore are big and full of hidden rooms and areas with loads of detail. At one point you have to walk down a street but you can enter two of the houses with multiple floors and rooms that feel lived in. I found a note from a 12 year old who over heard his parents speaking about family deaths and had to release his dog into the wild. it was sweet and when I walked downstairs I found Ellie and one of our companions playing darts and talking. It was a touching moment and the game is full of loads of moments like this as long as you look for it. If you run straight through you'll run out of ammo, die regulary, and finish the game to soon and call the game overhyped.

Overall 10/10 this game is special and extremly well made, you need to play this game to experience it
  92. Nov 5, 2013
    Do you want to play a game where your jaw drops every single time you enter a room? Where each moment of gameplay is exciting and terrifying? Where the story drives it so hard that you can't stop playing no matter the circumstances? The Last of Us delivers on all fronts, a driven story and game from beginning to end. Buy this. Never look back. Only play the story from beginning to the gut wrenching final moments. Expand
  93. Jul 8, 2013
    Almost 100% total awesome.

Just the random gun play and Ellie running all over the shop when you're sneaking lets it down.

Here's to 150 characters.
  94. Apr 29, 2014
    Story: 9.7 out of 10 Graphics: 10 out of 10 Gameplay: 9 out of 10 Fun: 9.5 out of 10 Controls: 10 out of 10 Ease to Learn: 9.5 out of 10
    Multiplayer: 8 out of 10
    Length: 8.5 out of 10
    Re-play: 9 out of 10
    Audio: 10 out of 10
    Bugs/Glitches: barely any
  95. Aug 9, 2013
    Abandon hope all ye who shall enter here!! That's certainly the theme here and as I'm concerned,its a good thing! The Last Of Us is made by the very talented team known as Naughty Dog and if your familiar with the uncharted series,you would only expect the best when it came storytelling and they DO NOT disappoint! So lets start off with the good points of this game shall we! Graphics: Incredible!! Naughty Dog pushes the ps3 to its limits,even out doing uncharted 3 with detailed area's beautiful water and smoke effects,fires,ruined buildings etc!! Sound: its average at best until you reach the clickers,their odd sounds will surely be unsettling when you enter dark rooms or new area's. Game mechanics: average at best,controls are tight and responsive and the duck and cover mechanic is very similar to the uncharted series right down to the hand to hand combat but certain weapons like bats, 2 x 4's and shiv's make the fighting a tad more interesting. Story: again its a average at best as its your standard run of the mill zombie apocalypse story where your character must fight to survive who then,meets someone who's immune to the virus and must now create cure to save humanity....the last of us almost never treads new ground as many games and movie's has all too often shown us the dangers of a zombie apocalypse,so why is the last of us worth playing if my review sounds kinda negative save for the graphics? Easy, Joel and ellie!! Although they follow your typical, guy who lost his daughter and refuses to love another child/ ellie,who's your spunky yet average stereotype foul mouth lovable teen, I found it hard NOT to like them as they struggled to form a working relationship. This is where naughty dog took an average,by the numbers story and somehow turn it into a masterpiece! Now the bad points: Enemies: 100% of the time the enemies WILL NOT ATTACK whoever your with if they don't see you first!! It sucks the "survival" aspect and belief right out of game and the player along with it for that matter which ruins the experience. Shiv's can only be used once(or three times if you have three) which i find odd,if you kill a clicker with a shiv( best option people) it magically disappears even when using it too unlock special doors filled with precious resources,but i guess they didn't want players spamming it.Ammo: while its not ABUNDANT its more than enough to get by on since joel has many weapons to use to dispatch his would be dispatchers like the bow,shotgun,sniper rifle,sawed off shotgun and about three hand guns,couple that with the (preferred)option of stealth kills and your basically a god until you play with ellie who gets far less ammo and weapons. Other than those complaints,this average game goes far beyond the limits of other zombies apocalypse games and delivers something truly special. Pick this game up and add it to the list of impressive games that's exclusive to the ps3's library,you won't regret it! 9 out of 10 Expand
  96. Dec 8, 2013
    Very good game by a very good game company the story is great and the gameplay doesn't disappoint. It is terrific. You can't say enough about the game. It is as good as it gets.
  97. Oct 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. best game ever, this is playstation 3 best game, naughty dog is reaaly good in making games, just like the uncharted series, joel and eliie make a really good team on his adventure, the game have some moments that are really exciting and they have many suspense scene Expand
  98. Jun 20, 2013
    The Last of Us made me play into an environment that I never seen before. A survival-horror video game with so much complexity among the characters, the story line, the powerful emotions, the intense game play for survival, and the amazing graphics for I could say that I want to play it more often at least on how the game was meant to end up being. It's one of the best games of the PlayStation generation; therefore making it another masterpiece created by Naughty Dog. Mainly, I focused on the tense feelings of the two main characters in which how they were able to survive their journey across the post-apocalyptic United States from beginning to end, showing steps through affection they have between each other. That made me cry, but also made my heart filled with joy... Expand
  99. Jun 21, 2013
    One of the few games I played that went beyond the conventional norms of a video games. I played too many games when it's just cut scenes follow by a wave a npc to take down follow buy more cut scenes and repeat. Games where the shooting mechanic just becomes generic, where no real challenge presents itself other than waves and waves of npc to take down. The Last of Us breaks this mold by engrossing me in a epic story with acting (and yes I say acting because that's what if feels like when I watch these living breathing believable characters) worthy of an Oscar. The cut scenes grips me the moment the game begins; and I have to say the introduction engross me so much that for a few moments I truly felt I was in the world of the game. The time when you take control of the character to fend off npc felt real. And there we're many times that I felt a real sense of danger, whether if its from the fungal zombies or the non infected hunting you down. At the end of the day the Last of Us engrossed my in a story that I only thought a movies can do. It really set the bar high for other games and makes me wonder why aren't more games like the Last of Us and less like the generic shooters that lacks substance in the story and character development department that plague this industry? Hopefully other games developers can take note from the Last of Us and understand that great story telling is no longer just in the realms of novels or movies, but it can be implemented into a video game as well. Expand
  100. Sep 3, 2013
    The game has very poor AI that ruins the sense of immersion and results in inconsistent gameplay. Enemies disregard your followers when sneaking and react in ways that don't make sense to the player's input. Enemies might see you when hiding behind a wall, or they might ignore you when hiding behind clear glass. Overall though the game is great and I won't go over the good points covered by hundreds of users and reviews, but it is not worthy of a perfect score due to the clearly flawed AI. Expand

1. Sep 16, 2013
  2. Sep 10, 2013
  3. Despite the breakneck pace of the prologue, it takes quite a while for The Last of Us to pick up some speed again. However, once the cold harsh winter arrives, the action (and story) ramps up. So much so, it puts most Hollywood productions to shame. [July 2013, p.76]