• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Jun 14, 2013
9.1

1. Jun 14, 2013
    Really average game, painfully average for the score it's getting. I feel the only reason why it's getting such scores is the publisher, but that's alright.
    The gunplay is average, typical TPS fair. Really, if you're looking for gameplay innovation, it's not here. The whole "scarce ammo so you have to scavenge" thing is ruined by the fact that most of the enemies are guards, which drop ammo. The"zombies (they're zombies, don't lie to yourself)" are generally clumped in areas and not dangerous, outside of clickers. For puzzles we have crate stacking, ladders, moving massive objects to stand on (Joel is superhuman) and motors. You'll be seeing these a lot because they're repeated more than HL2's physics puzzles. The game has stealth, which is does just as well as any other TPS game with stealth, but the AI is stupid, making it easier. It's really linear, shamefully linear. I think this is what kills me most about the game, the atmosphere is really good, ND nailed it with that, but they went NOWHERE with it. It's another linear story game that takes no risks. Walk, get into scripted scene, fight guards or zombies, cutscene. For 12 hours, that's the game. It occasionally changes things up, but that's essentially the game. I won't spoil the story, but it feels like the left it up for DLC and expansions, which is shameful. If you like really average story based games, go ahead. If you want more, maybe just rent it. It does little wrong, but even less right.
  2. Jun 14, 2013
    If you played The Walking Dead, you can skip this. If not, go play it instead of this.
    The Walking Dead has actual, meaningful choices unlike this game. You pretty much do what the game tells you to, and that works for something like Uncharted but not this game. The Walking Dead set the bar for the Zombie theme and this game is not even coming close to it.
    The gameplay itself is even
    The gameplay itself is even worse. Horrible gun play, terrible and unreliable stealth mechanics, bad immersions because your companions can stand face to face with every enemy because they only can see your character. As a huge Uncharted and The Walking Dead fan, I can NOT undertastand how this game got this high score.
  3. Jun 14, 2013
    If you are coming into this game expecting to be blown away by a complete game, you're going to be disappointed. Nothing revolutionary, gameplay wise, but nothing misplaced, either. Just tried and true elements that feel comfortable, though you can debate whether that's a good thing in a game that's relying on you being drawn in. If this was a TV Show, it'd definitely be worthy of aIf you are coming into this game expecting to be blown away by a complete game, you're going to be disappointed. Nothing revolutionary, gameplay wise, but nothing misplaced, either. Just tried and true elements that feel comfortable, though you can debate whether that's a good thing in a game that's relying on you being drawn in. If this was a TV Show, it'd definitely be worthy of a higher score. The story is definitely quite good. The problem is that its about as interactive as a painting. They went with the 'Open Barn" design philosophy of multiple paths all leading to the same set pieces. This can be a fine choice, but when characters react as though you'd been in a running gun battle in the set piece, when you literally did not make a sound, it really breaks the immersion. This type of game is award fodder, because it's easy to call good because it has a good story, and does a bunch of stuff we're familiar with, but at the end of the day, it feels like they played it too safe, and it could've been even better if they'd been willing to reach. Expand
  4. Jun 14, 2013
    Just completed the game in one sitting, took me 12 hours.

Just completed the game in one sitting, took me 12 hours.

The game is good. It's not great nor does it live up to the hype created around it. The graphics are very mediocre. Maybe it's just me because I'm used to FullHD resolution with AntiAliasing and Anisotropic Filtering on PC, but the game looked quite bad in some places. Low res textures, vegetation on most places is not an actual object, just some leaves painted on the texture. The game runs only in 720p which made it look even worse on my 24" fullHD monitor, aliasing was everywhere. Additionally you can see the frame rate dropping to around 15-20 FPS, especially during some places in the cities. This makes it extremely hard to navigate and aim.

Like I said, I completed the game after 12 hours and... it hanged after the credits screen. I could go to start menu but couldn't load, save or quit the game, so I had to shut down the game through PS menu. Started it up again to see what bonuses I unlocked by completing the game and... my save was gone. So yeah, I'm quite pissed off right now, 12 hours for nothing. Nice quality assurance testing there.

Now, onto the game itself. The story is nowhere near as driving and immersing as the one in "The Walking Dead", which I consider the best adventure game I ever played. There are a few good moments, but most of the time the game play is limited to running around buildings collecting items and shooting bandits. The cut scenes are awesome, the voices and animations are really good, but there's not that many of them. I wish the story was narrated better and didn't just skip through parts. The story is 100% linear, as far as I know, there are no choices in game you can make to affect the story, so there is no re-playability value what-so-ever. In the end I never got attached to any of the characters like I did in "The Walking Dead".

I liked the character of Ellie, although because I couldn't make any choices on how to interact with her and Joel is an a-hole most of the time, I never made that "bond" which would make me miss her even outside the game. Throughout the game you can sometimes stop and talk to Ellie, but it is so rare event that it doesn't really add anything to the experience, especially that you have no control over what they talk about and it's usually just small talk about surroundings or recent events. The ending is disappointing, but I guess you'll just have to figure this one on your own.

Developers advertised the game with the AI that is clever and it will try to outsmart you. Ha, what a joke. The AI completely ignores your companions, they can run in front of a bandit and the guy couldn't care less. Enemies actually try to take alternative routes to get you and flank you, but most of the time they just barge into the room and stand there thinking "now what?". Your companions are pretty much invisible when sneaking, so you don't really have to care about them unless they are grabbed by an enemy. This made me really detach from my character and I didn't really care for my companions much.

There are also some design problems I do not really understand like weapon mechanics. Shivs are used to kill the clickers, but you lose them every time you use them, like ammo. Since when are knives one use only? Same with some of the melee weapons, steel pipes go bad after 7 hits. Some weapons are badly unbalanced, like the shotgun. In later stages of the game, where soldiers have bulletproof vests and helmets it can take up to 4 shotgun body shots to kill one soldier from about 4-5 meters away. To make it more ridiculous max ammo for the shotgun is like 16 rounds.

Overall, it's not a bad game, but it isn't nowhere the GOTY and I think the 10/10 reviewers didn't play through the whole game. About half way into the game I was already tired of collecting the same items over and over again and playing hide and seek with the bandits on stages clearly designed for combat (scattered objects to use as cover which are placed so obviously, upon seeing them you know there will be enemies around). I was hoping for another experience like in "The Walking Dead" but unfortunately I am very disappointed.

+ Good script and game setting
    + Awesome, but rare cut scenes
    + Environments
    + Animations and voice acting
    + Ellie character

- Graphics
    - Linear and very predictable story
    - Lack of interactivity with the characters
    - Dumb AI
    - Some game mechanics
  5. Jun 14, 2013
    I usually just sit and read reviews, but I felt compelled to give a short, accurate review. I am six hours into the game, and I must say, I've been getting quite bored of it. Ohhhh no, I'm in the dark and there are clickers walking around; now what.......um, it took me 10 minutes to navigate around them slowly. Wow, fun. Granted the visuals can be nice at times, but the gameplay, story,I usually just sit and read reviews, but I felt compelled to give a short, accurate review. I am six hours into the game, and I must say, I've been getting quite bored of it. Ohhhh no, I'm in the dark and there are clickers walking around; now what.......um, it took me 10 minutes to navigate around them slowly. Wow, fun. Granted the visuals can be nice at times, but the gameplay, story, etc is nothing new. We've seen this before. I think the game is quite overrated if you ask me. I love Naughty Dog and they've done a good job again, but not a 10. I think the critics media followed suit because for it to score this high is a bit disturbing. Nonetheless, it is a good game. If you have $60, love Naughty Dog, and are looking for a good game to keep you going until the PS4, then go for it. This will take some time to platinum. If you're going to buy this based on the perfect 10's it's getting, I'm sorry to say, I think you will be disappointed. In the end, to each their own.....happy gaming guys. Expand
  6. Jun 18, 2013
    This game is not bad, but it's not a 10 by a long shot. The combat and movement are sluggish and frustrating at times. The story is predictable and while it looks pretty, there are definitely better looking games out for PS3 at the moment. The crafting and upgrade systems are shallow and disappointing, as is the looting, but then, one should be mindful that this is a shooter, not an RPG.This game is not bad, but it's not a 10 by a long shot. The combat and movement are sluggish and frustrating at times. The story is predictable and while it looks pretty, there are definitely better looking games out for PS3 at the moment. The crafting and upgrade systems are shallow and disappointing, as is the looting, but then, one should be mindful that this is a shooter, not an RPG. Some areas have multiple, clever ways of dispatching enemies, but all too often the player is simply fighting off wave after wave of enemies, and it get boring quickly. There is very little ammo, which is fine for a survival/adventure game, but this game is predominantly a shooter, and then it gets very frustrating.

Voice acting and music is great! But a game needs more than that. Rent, don't buy.
  7. Jun 14, 2013
    I don't want to spoil any of the story so I'll get right to the point; The Last of Us takes all the WORST parts of the Uncharted series (the stealth and sneaking) and stretches it out across 12 hours of gameplay. This is THE MOST overrated game I have ever played. I cannot believe people are trying to say this game is "the best game ever" and better than Uncharted 3, which was an utterI don't want to spoil any of the story so I'll get right to the point; The Last of Us takes all the WORST parts of the Uncharted series (the stealth and sneaking) and stretches it out across 12 hours of gameplay. This is THE MOST overrated game I have ever played. I cannot believe people are trying to say this game is "the best game ever" and better than Uncharted 3, which was an utter masterpiece, or better than this years BioShock Infinite, which was another amazing game. I went to the midnight launch and beat the game in one sitting so I didn't have to deal with the horrible save-game bug right now that prevents you from saving your progress, so I'm not even factoring that horrible oversight into my review. Honestly though, save yourself $60 and put that money towards a next-gen console. The multiplayer is also incredibly generic and unbalanced. Whoever wins the first round wins the entire match because they can instantly afford a set of armor at the start of the next round which allows you to take twice as much damage before dying. I'm utterly shocked by the metascore the critics have given this game. What can you expect though, SCEA published games almost always have a full point or two higher metacritic scores than they deserve, who the hell knows why. Expand
  8. Jun 15, 2013
    Okay...so a 5 is what this game gets. And YES...I played it, today actually, after spending $60 and kicking myself afterwards. This game is all hype. I bought PS3 JUST to play this game. (I'm an X-Boxer) So disappointed. This is not really a Survival genre game, but a Shooter mainly. It absolutely mimics Uncharted...couple of minutes looking around, picking stuff up...and then shoot shootOkay...so a 5 is what this game gets. And YES...I played it, today actually, after spending $60 and kicking myself afterwards. This game is all hype. I bought PS3 JUST to play this game. (I'm an X-Boxer) So disappointed. This is not really a Survival genre game, but a Shooter mainly. It absolutely mimics Uncharted...couple of minutes looking around, picking stuff up...and then shoot shoot shoot for 30 minutes! Just some zombies thrown in, but not until like 2 hrs. in. If you want to buy this game with sweet memories of Dead Island or the Walking Dead (Telltale) in mind...please don't! This is Uncharted...period. Yes, the graphics are Beautiful! And I really do like the characters/storyline. I just think that a lot of us were mislead into thinking this game was something it's not. Shooter fans will love it! Quest lovers won't. Expand
  9. Jun 14, 2013
    Game is overrated, I don't know what game all you are playing but this game is not the best as so many people seem to be saying. Beat the game in 7 hours and has no replayability. All you do in this game is sneak and strangle monsters. Graphics are ok, I see people saying there the best they have seen,wtf, if you think that then wow you are blind, the games graphics are okay and the soundGame is overrated, I don't know what game all you are playing but this game is not the best as so many people seem to be saying. Beat the game in 7 hours and has no replayability. All you do in this game is sneak and strangle monsters. Graphics are ok, I see people saying there the best they have seen,wtf, if you think that then wow you are blind, the games graphics are okay and the sound and story is good, the controls are good. Just not worth the hype its been getting. No replayability. Uncharted is better than this game. Go rent it before you by it. Who knows maybe you will buy into the hype and get easily manipulated like the Masses. Ift his game was not made by Naughty Dog and made by a not well known Dev then I bet you that this game would get low scores. People that give good scores to a game for not being all that great makes the gaming community worse. You give a game a good review and its not good, Devs will just make the same crap and get away with it and take your money and laugh at you. This game does not suck but the overall score sure does. 6.5 out of 10 for me. Beat it now im returning it.. Expand
  10. Jun 14, 2013
    This game is kinda overrated. The game play is not that amazing really the gun play is very similar to uncharted (as you would kinda expect I suppose). The story line is not all that and the first couple of hours are pretty boring, I hate games that take ages to get going. The graphics are pretty good and so is the animation too. How many zombie games do we really need though This genreThis game is kinda overrated. The game play is not that amazing really the gun play is very similar to uncharted (as you would kinda expect I suppose). The story line is not all that and the first couple of hours are pretty boring, I hate games that take ages to get going. The graphics are pretty good and so is the animation too. How many zombie games do we really need though This genre is massively over done, when are people gonna get over zombies geez...Also at the time of writing this there is a massive game breaking bug which makes you unable to save your progress and has affected TONS of people. Expand
  11. Jun 15, 2014
    Hands down, the most overrated game of 2013. To all the high scorers, did you have any FUN with this game? Really. Because I didn't. This game was an absolute chore to play through. The only thing that kept me going was the fairly interesting story, and the high production values. This is a Naughty Dog game, so you can expect superb graphics, animations, voice acting, and cutscenes.Hands down, the most overrated game of 2013. To all the high scorers, did you have any FUN with this game? Really. Because I didn't. This game was an absolute chore to play through. The only thing that kept me going was the fairly interesting story, and the high production values. This is a Naughty Dog game, so you can expect superb graphics, animations, voice acting, and cutscenes. However the gameplay is a mess. This is a 3rd person shooter with some tacked on stealth. However ammo is scarce, so most of the time it is better to go the stealth route. The controls however feel loose (read: realism), and require you to have better aim than your standard third person shooter. NPC enemies also have very spastic animations, so even when you think you have a shot on them, they will jerk their body or head to the side and you will miss the shot. You go into an annoying stagger animation when you get shot (again, realism), which requires you to re-aim your shot, by which time the enemy has already closed the distance and is pounding you to shreds. Close quarters combat is stacked towards the enemy, especially the zombies, many of whom can one-shot kill you at this range. Ellie, your NPC companion, aids very little in combat. Enemies are also oblivious to her presence, even though it is clear they can see her. I guess the idea here was not to punish the player for enemies spotting your NPC companion, but this simply breaks immersion. You also can't switch weapons while on the move, which is especially aggravating when you need to switch from an empty to a loaded weapon while an enemy is chasing you. The game itself plays like your typical cinematic linear shooter, with some outdoor areas that open up a bit and allowing you to explore. All your standard shooter gameplay tropes are here: "defend an area from hordes of enemies", "find an alternate route", "clear area of enemies to proceed", "run away from an armored vehicle"... you get the idea. There are some tiresome ladder and plank "puzzles" that require you to move a ladder from A to B to get somewhere. They add nothing to the gameplay and feel like padding. There is also a skill system (what game doesn't have this nowadays?) that allows you to upgrade your character. It's good to have, and allows you to tailor your gameplay experience somewhat, although I found many of the skills to be useless (faster crafting? what's the point? You shouldn't be crafting during combat). The story is serviceable. You play as Joel, a grieving father tasked with delivering Ellie, a girl immune to the zombie virus, to the human resistance movement. It's like the Walking Dead; the last vestiges of humanity fighting against zombies, lots of interpersonal relationship stuff, harrowing situations, etc. Which is fine, not a lot of games go this route. But TLOU didn't invent this genre, so let's not give it more credit than it deserves. Joel is your typical gruff white guy we've seen dozens of times by now. As for Ellie, they seemed to have cast someone too old to play her, as she comes off as being a little too precocious. The section where you play as Ellie. She says "piece of sh*t" or "motherf*cker" EVERY TIME she kills someone. Why was this necessary? It's not behavior you'd expect from a pre-teen. The much talked about ending, though clever emotionally, left an empty feeling with me, similar to Prince of Persia 2008's ending. As a player, I want to feel like I accomplished something. Don't throw away everything I've done in the past 10+ hours.

To sum up, this is not a fun game. If you want to play a Walking Dead episode, with all of Naughty Dog's trademark high production values, then this is for you. However if like me, you like your games to be fun, then give this a pass.
  12. Mar 3, 2014
    A great game to enjoy once or twice. The story is average when you think about it, not much different than what you've seen before. It's a very linear game and very scripted. For some this is ok, but for me it seemed like you were watching a movie, and at times, it may have been more enjoyable for a cutscene to take the place of a playable gunfight. Further into the game, time and timeA great game to enjoy once or twice. The story is average when you think about it, not much different than what you've seen before. It's a very linear game and very scripted. For some this is ok, but for me it seemed like you were watching a movie, and at times, it may have been more enjoyable for a cutscene to take the place of a playable gunfight. Further into the game, time and time again a group of scavengers will show looking for you whilst walking back and forth from one end of the room to another before you take them out. It gets a bit frustrating when you finally take out the group only to hear the clicking sound from a group of infected coming your way.

Good game but a little bit overrated. Definitely should be a sequel with a few tweaks and a continuation of the story, as the characters are interesting.
  13. Dec 18, 2013
    Honestly, after all the hype, I expected better. The games graphics, art, music and (especially) its story are top notch. The gameplay? Not so much. Way to repetitive and frustrating. There are 3 modes to this game.

1) Walk/run exploring the impressive maps where you move stuff around solving puzzles, avoiding traps, and scavenge as much stuff as you can for its crafting to prepare you for (see #2)

2) Sneak your way past a set of encounters which can either be human or infected (aka zombies). The most important yet worst part of the game. First of all, its one of "those" games which keep you low on weapons and ammo. So while you CAN, and probably will have to shoot and fight from time to time, its designed to have you sneak as much as possible. Fighting makes noise which attracts all the bad guys in the area, which will probably kill you if you stick around because your character is incredibly weak and your partner is incredibly stupid. You can also sneak up and melee using weapons you find and or craft but of course they break easily. You can craft a shiv which have a very limited use (twice!) and even steel pipes break after a about 2 kills. Yeah just 2.

Then there are what are called Clickers. You'll come to hate them tremendously, and not in a good way. Can you kill them? First you have to snail your way to them because they have really good ears and can hear you even if youre sneaking. Then if youre lucky and want to waste your very limited weapon durability you may dispose of them. However 9/10 theyre near 2-3 other Clickers which are within hearing distance AND they kill you with one hit. You can use firearms if you wish but (a) they attract another 5 zombies in the area and (b) theyre pretty resilient to bullets (even head shots). Meaning they will likely reach you.

The best and least frustrating thing thing to do is to just sneak past everything. All this wouldnt be so bad if there was some variety, but its pretty much the same deal, every. single. time! Only difference is its in new areas.

3) Watch cutscene. Probably the best part of the game but for that I could just watch a movie.

Rise repeat. Occasionally youll get some high adrenaline action (in which you magically and suddenly have unlimited ammo, btw) which does little to alleviate the monotony of the entire thing. Only thing that kept me going was its great storyline which had me on edge wanting to know whats going to happen next.
  14. Aug 15, 2014
    Unfortunately someone on here has to write a real review so here you go, you're welcome.

The Last of Us won over 200 GOTY awards. Don't forget that fact, no Sony fan will ever let you. Does that make it a good game? Absolutely not. As has come to be expected from Naughty Dog, The Last of Us excels in presentation. Truly, the art, overall graphics, animation, even the voice acting are

As has come to be expected from Naughty Dog, The Last of Us excels in presentation. Truly, the art, overall graphics, animation, even the voice acting are phenomenal. You won't find better than them in any other title. Beyond Two Souls is on par, but not better, when it comes to presentation. The dialogue seems legit and it is often times entertaining.

Unfortunately after you get over that, The Last of Us is nothing more than a meme-stuffed stroll through the drudgery of not only video game cliches, but also the rest of popular media. Comparisons have been made to Cormac McCarthy and the similarity is only cosmetic if you examine the Road and TLOU side by side. Comparisons can be made to The Book of Eli, I Am Legend, and literally every other zombie movie that has ever been made - because that's what this is, an emulation of the zombie genre, but not a parody.

The gameplay in The Last of Us is absolutely mind numbing. Whether it's the lack of variety or the overall redundancy of every single segment save the very first 20 minutes of the game, there is absolutely nothing entertaining about it. As the game progresses you are simply playing a movie and the only way to progress it is to get from cutscene to cutscene. Once you realize this, you'll also come to the realization that just like Uncharted, the Last of Us is an overrated blockbuster whose merits come from technical accomplishment - and not from actual gameplay, which should be the defining characteristic of a video game.

Ignoring the plot holes involving Ellie and Joel, the gameplay changes once you switch characters, but only for about 20 minutes, and not in any way that should be remotely unfamiliar to survival horror enthusiasts. After that, the gameplay changes again from a somewhat stealth driven survival game into a flat out murder simulator, just like Uncharted, and it sheds all former pretense of being interesting, ending in one ridiculous shootout sequence that would give Uncharted 3 a run for its money.

The only saving grace to the gameplay is the multitude of multiplayer modes. Essentially it is just team deathmatch, but the survivalist aspects of the game and the moderate realism have been worked in to make it truly interesting while at the same time hilarious. I've never played another game where someone beating me to death with a plank of wood was so hilarious - whether because it's stupidly overpowered or a riot to watch.
  15. Dec 13, 2014
    One of the best playstation exclusive titles ever created. The story, the characters, the gameplay,the graphics everything in this game is just perfect. But I have also never seen such a cliche story line, and have experienced similar third person gameplay. The multiplayer gets annoying at times and constant online crashes harm my experience . Also trying to upload this review for threeOne of the best playstation exclusive titles ever created. The story, the characters, the gameplay,the graphics everything in this game is just perfect. But I have also never seen such a cliche story line, and have experienced similar third person gameplay. The multiplayer gets annoying at times and constant online crashes harm my experience . Also trying to upload this review for three days with constant failings makes me wonder if naughty dog is against me. Expand
  16. Mar 6, 2015
    the game filled with good stuff and overall looks great but when I look at the game as a whole I just dont like it.

maybe I just got too hyped and my anticipation were too high? or maybe I just got sick of all the other stealth apocalypse horror survival games? The game is full of beautiful cutsences. well, maybe there's too mcuh of those, which makes it feel like a long movie

maybe I just got too hyped and my anticipation were too high?

The game is full of beautiful cutsences. well, maybe there's too mcuh of those, which makes it feel like a long movie rather then a game.

It seems like they worn off uncharted to make it more stealth like but at the half way through decided to eventually drop this idea too.
    There are a lots of elements to the game like crafting and exploring, but neither of them feels satisfying or extraordinary.

5 is exactly in the middle of 0-10, and I could not describe it any better - its just an average game.
    I would even give it less, because of the problem with the too many cutsences, or the generacity of the story, but the fact thats its pretty polished and made with high quality im giving it extra points.
  17. Dec 31, 2013
    i guess i have a different review from most of the others on here.... ill start out saying i prefer sandbox type games like gta...... in my opinion this game is very linear. you basically follow a set path with no choices. the game starts to become very repetitive, however it does have a strong finish and the graphics are unbelievable.
  18. Aug 13, 2014
    Ah finally a game that simulates/plays a survival horror/adventuresque post-apocaly.....wait....this has been done before....but not quite as good looking, The Last of Us is essentially a lovechild of Resi 4/ Uncharted/Metal Gear/The Road and I AM LEGEND....Sounds great on paper but just doesn't give you the big hype reaction you were hoping especially on it's PS4 Revival, Humanity hasAh finally a game that simulates/plays a survival horror/adventuresque post-apocaly.....wait....this has been done before....but not quite as good looking, The Last of Us is essentially a lovechild of Resi 4/ Uncharted/Metal Gear/The Road and I AM LEGEND....Sounds great on paper but just doesn't give you the big hype reaction you were hoping especially on it's PS4 Revival, Humanity has been hit hard by the Cordyceps Fungus infecting Human hosts and turning them into the usual BS of some sort of infected man eating fungus zombie hybrid, in comes Joel... A tragedy and years of survival against the infected have made Joel into Battle Hardened Bear Grylls minus the camera crew, fortunately Joel is very likeable an despite his cold Solid Snake killing skills he is a pretty good guy... he almost takes as much damage as wolverine in this story which is crazy....until you meet certain enemies... see the games enemies are Humans who are armed like gears of war characters, Infected Humans who haven't turned fully but still have a serious killer instinct and Metal Gear Extreme difficulty vision which is really irritating especially when the Stealth sections start, also we have Clickers and Bloaters... Clickers are humans that have been overtaken by the Fungus and do not have any sight but instead rely on hearing you creep around seriously any movement and your screwed and especially in tight spots the enemies can come in all varieties and quickly over power you causing a brutal and cheap death, the infected humans barrage you like flies on poo and then sometimes the clickers do instant kills seriously it gets old very quickly and even if your not moving sometimes the clickers just kill you anyway it's like hey screw it I cant see you but I'm gonna eat you anyway! Then we have the Bloaters.... Best way to describe them is like the Tank Zombies in left for dead except these guys take tons of damage before they die and can see you any way and throw these like fungus bombs at you alerting all other enemies in the vicinity! However you only see a couple throughout the whole campaign so that can be forgiven, in comes Ellie, she is basically a rip off of Ellen Page.. but she's ok an only a couple of times does she become a liability, she has a ridiculous boss battle where the boss does one hit kills which really drove me nuts! Apart from the skanky cheap deaths the game is stunning on PS3 and really has pushed the machine to the limits, the Graphics are slick and virtually flawless however some of the cut scenes are in game engine or sometimes CGI... and trigger some obscene loading times and even saving can take upto a minute....the music is awesome and the voice acting great some really nice pieces have been written in and the story is okish... sometimes the controls just don't do what you want them to do and sometimes drops you into....you guessed it an instant death! which sucks I nearly smashed my pad playing this but apart from overpowered enemies, ok chase scenes and some stupid encounters the game is pretty enjoyable the story kept me going and I really wanted to stick with Joel and Ellie and watch them succeed and their relationship grow, now throw in the PS4.... Yesus... the PS4 version has been given 60 FPS and 1080p resolution... Whoopy doo I don't care every game developer says the same crap these days 1080 bla bla our game is crap but it's in 1080p while the game does have a bit more detail than it's PS3 it's not worth shelling out for a PS4 and the updated "Remastered" game... did a game that's barely a year old really need to be Remastered? Answer.... no not really, ok so you get loads of multiplayer crap and the Left Behind DLC but if you have already bought for PS3 don't rebuy, I personally enjoyed Uncharted 2 + 3 more but if you want a great story it's worth maybe getting hold of the PS3 version but if PS4 is your only choice then go for that. Expand
  19. May 27, 2014
    First off I have to start this review by saying that I am in no way a fanboy. I owned all 3 consoles last gen and I plan on doing it again in the next generation as well. Second off, I have to say that this is going to be more of a rant than a real review. The Last of Us shines in its narrative, characters, and atmosphere. The story and characters are some of the best in any game I'veFirst off I have to start this review by saying that I am in no way a fanboy. I owned all 3 consoles last gen and I plan on doing it again in the next generation as well. Second off, I have to say that this is going to be more of a rant than a real review. The Last of Us shines in its narrative, characters, and atmosphere. The story and characters are some of the best in any game I've ever played, and the way it is presented is second to none. The characters all have distinct personalities and are well developed. The dialogue is great and so are the voice actors that deliver it. The atmosphere really does feel like a post apocalyptic future. The graphics are some of the best ever (on consoles) even though the color pallet looks like the game ate Fallout 3 then spit it out and added vines everywhere. With all this having been said, I have zero idea how anybody can think this game is a masterpiece or anywhere close. The gameplay (you know the point of playing a video game) is so lackluster, and the game is not well designed. The game tries to be a stealth-action survival horror game except it meets none of those genre's criteria well. It would have been great had the areas flowed together coherently but anywhere that there are enemies is basically an arena of conveniently placed boxes (much like another stealth-action game it tries so hard but fails to be, Metal Gear Solid) And really Naughty Dog? With the oil tankers full of money that Sony gave you to make this game, you couldn't spring for more than one stealth choking animation or 5 skins of enemy characters? It fails on the survival horror front because you are always being presented with bullets and medpacks and whatever you need because the game was made for casuals. The crafting makes no sense as Rag+Alcohol apparently = bandage. The "puzzles" consist of moving a latter from one place to another. Thrilling. By far the worst part of the game is the AI. All the AI in the game is broken. Enemy AI is completely inept on even the highest difficulty and your partner AI? God help me. Having bad enemy AI is enough to break any stealth game, but bad partner AI too? Might as well kill yourself. If you want to play a third person survival horror zombie game with bad partner AI and stiff controls then play Resident evil 4, a far superior game. The game is very shallow and repetitive, the infected lack variety with only 4 types to fight against. The gameplay itself is slightly above average, yet the game has garnered 9's and 10's on almost every major site, presumably based on story alone. Well I'm sorry but the fact is that I will never give a video game a 9 or a 10 based on story alone. What even qualifies as a game anymore? If I rendered Terminator 2 in video game cutscenes and let you press a button every 10 minutes to choose what one liner Arnold says would that be a 10/10 flawless masterpiece of a game? I'm not saying that this is what the last of us is like, but its not far off. Everything is so linear and all the exciting things happen in cutscenes that happen every 5 minutes. If I wanted to play a mediocre stealth game in between watching a decent zombie movie, I would watch Shaun of the Dead and pause every ten minutes to play Alpha Protocol. Since when has it been ok for a VIDEO GAME to be called a masterpiece when the gameplay is average at best? You'd would think that with the way video game technology has progressed that developers would give us bigger worlds to explore with better AI and more depth, but nope, they're using it to make games like movies. This brings me to my next point which is, in a video game this story is amazing, but as a movie, this story is average and cliche at best. There are other games that have good stories that aren't a boring chore to play through and that actually add something to the respective genre that they're in. The last of us is by no means a bad game, but it is only a slightly above average game that brings nothing new or interesting to the Stealth action or Survival horror genres, and is made very good by its story and characters (even if they all swear like they just got off the USS Saratoga) Expand
  20. May 21, 2014
    Yeah, the story is "good" by today's standards, when it doesn't creep along at a snails pace, which is often, but the gameplay is pretty average and there are a lot of bugs and mediocre stealth gameplay.
  21. Jul 18, 2014
    Played it as my first ever PS3 game and had to note that if you aren't mastering the controller to the level that your basal ganglia takes partly over the conscious cortex functions, the game is near impossible in certain situations. The story is not typical hollywood and has some deeper moments, which is good. However, there are several logical fallacies -most importantly it sounds thatPlayed it as my first ever PS3 game and had to note that if you aren't mastering the controller to the level that your basal ganglia takes partly over the conscious cortex functions, the game is near impossible in certain situations. The story is not typical hollywood and has some deeper moments, which is good. However, there are several logical fallacies -most importantly it sounds that the writer had no input from someone with medical/molecular biology background making for instance the vaccine subtheme unreasonable. Sure, many player might not notice these problems. Regarding the story and gameplay would have wanted less linearity and more choices. Ah yes, and the followers (e.g. Ellie if playing as Joel) often gave too many hints IMHO. The best moments were when for one or another reason you had no followers and multiple choices to solve a situation. These moments were actually enjoyable. Expand
  22. Oct 9, 2014
    So then there was my review of the last of us. Completed twice got on release date and i almost regret it. For me this game is overrated i cannot see how this got higher then 8,5 max . You play as Joel in a post apocalyptic universe. And you task is to escort a girl named Ellie trough the US and find the fireflies. For me the overall story is one of naughty dog worst stories. And i haveSo then there was my review of the last of us. Completed twice got on release date and i almost regret it. For me this game is overrated i cannot see how this got higher then 8,5 max . You play as Joel in a post apocalyptic universe. And you task is to escort a girl named Ellie trough the US and find the fireflies. For me the overall story is one of naughty dog worst stories. And i have played all three uncharted games and jak and daxter games and some Crash Bandicoot. The story is bad, the characters development is however one of the few good points in this game. The game play is solid and the atmosphere is good. But what makes this games so bad for me was 1) it did not feel like a survival game , you had always enough ammo if you simply searched around, and it definitely did not feel like a horror game, The genre is action-adventure survival horror , and while i in some extent agree with survival i dont agree with horror. The game is very short , took me not more then 12 hrs to complete if not less, and you have actually no point to play it through more then once certainly not more then twice. So for me the cons was replay-abilities and that it didnt live up to my expectations perhaps is was because that the genre it was meant to be, and Joel somehow reminds me of Nathan Drake. The game play didnt do somethings new and the ai was pretty predictable is most cases , so i fell i can max give it a 7.2 Expand
  23. Sep 13, 2014
    The Last of Us is a game that many people claim to be one of the greatest games in history based almost solely on a singular aspect of it -- its story. When you get down to it though, even the story is nothing that we haven't seen before, and does nothing to drastically change the landscape of future games. In other words, despite being a good and enjoyable game, it is not a "masterpiece."The Last of Us is a game that many people claim to be one of the greatest games in history based almost solely on a singular aspect of it -- its story. When you get down to it though, even the story is nothing that we haven't seen before, and does nothing to drastically change the landscape of future games. In other words, despite being a good and enjoyable game, it is not a "masterpiece." 10 years down the road, when people really take the time to think about what this game did for the video game industry, they will realize that it is not as glorious or revolutionary as the often-times polarized user reviews would say. Sure, it had a good story with some brilliant voice acting. Sure it had decent combat mechanics and great visuals. But did it do anything that we haven't seen before? Sadly, it did not. We've seen great voice performances in video games before. We've seen post apocalyptic survival (dare I say, "zombie") games with good stories before. We've seen great graphics before. Despite its good characteristics, this game did not provide any experience that made it dominate the other great games of the generation.

With all that being said, I am not trying to "bash" or "hate" on this game. Rather, I am trying to give a realistic representation of the experience that any casual, hardcore, or average gamer who has not played this game before can expect. Do not go into this game thinking that it will change your life - it won't. You will, however enjoy it for what it's worth.
  24. Mar 27, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Good graphics, gameplay is lacking depth. Characters are interesting but story is nothing special. It baffles me that people are giving it 10/10. I mean what is really special about this game? It is practically a corridor shooter, RE4 has done that better this game. Expand
  25. Dec 23, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. For starters, this game is OK, but not good enough to justify a 60 usd buy.

Ellie is greatly made and lively, but the rest, specially Joel, are pretty bland and predictable. The plot has it's ups and downs, more downs to me than ups. The script forces the player to make only one decision (like when you have to pass the hunter's barracade on chapter six, I tried to pass stealthly, and there was NO WAY to pass it, if I didn't kill every hunter, just because a cutscene needed to be triggered, or the ending itself), making the game pretty narrow. Also, the story tries so hard to slap you in the face that has realistic characters and plotline, and falls short with some Deux ex machina, like when Joel JUST HAPPENED to wake up to rescue Ellie, being kidnapped by the hunters.
    Also, i felt the story and storywriter was laughing at me when the last part of the game starts. The investigations tend to "support" the desitions of the fireflys to, litteraly, disect Ellie's brain to produce a "cure", killing her on the process saying that no samples could last (that's a first insult to the intelect of the player), yet also investigations allegate that scientists couldn't recreate a monkey specimen to produce that inmunology, so they didn't know what where they doing, so basicly they are killing the ONLY SHOT they have to save humanity to make something they don't know if it is going to work (because, SCIENCE!), just to trigger Joel to kill everyone, despite he wanted to dump Ellie 3 times and just bounded on the last part, letting you understand that He sees Ellie like a new daughter (was SO notorious to me that was a plot resource, that not only felt insulted again, but too bland and obvious, letting me see that this game was completly artificial, crushing one of the selling points of the game). That last part, literally, ruined most of the game for me, letting a sour taste, and a "avant garde" ending that felt more like a final insult.
    Despite that, there are moments that are really great, on the notes and the sidestories you could only read (the notes of Ish are not only really eerie, but really lively)
    The gameplay is, really, pretty standard, but overall well made. The shooting mechanics feels ok, and most of the time the game feels that you are in control. Yet, I have my complains, like stealth mechanics, as I said before, feel broken. Sometimes almost made it too easy, feeling like a gost to some clickers, and then other times, like on the graveyard, felt that those clickers triggered over nothing.
    The crafting and upgrade system is well made. Nothing too revolutionary, but well implemented.
    There are a lot of one-hit deaths, specially with clickers. I never stop feeling that they where just cheap deaths to make the game longer, and not a difficulty issue. Also other enemies are just braindead (despite of some literally being braindead), making this game being easy, with some peaks in certain parts of the game, which most of those parts, you don't have alternative to kill it, what a surprise.
    Also, this game really likes you to move stuff to transport Ellie to point A to B, making a this an escort game, but is not as annoying as other games are, but not defintly on the level of Alex from HL2.
    The graphics are great... for a PS3. Being a PC gamer, this game wasn't exactly eye candy, but the design, and some details and enviorments, are goregous, and in fact too gourgous that is easy to get lost.
    The level desing was hit and miss. The game tries too hard to make you feel that you are in a wide world, that is full of life, but is plaged with unreasonable walls, and felt really narrow. Also, sometimes it wasn't clear what you are capable to go or where you have to go, and in the end, the game only wants you to kill everyone on place.

Despite of some details, this game is not really bad, despite I almost spent writing on the negative side, but not really a "BEST GAME OF ALL TIME" for me. May be I was too hyped and overshoot my spectations, and made me really dissappointed that some details are so well made, and the most part are just average, and even bad sometimes.

I really think this game will be dated in a couple of years, like happened wit Perfect dark, Chrono Cross and some more.
  26. Feb 6, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great game and great storyline. Unfortunately, one of the programmers probably either quit or catched a flu so his 4 year old son had to take over.

Because i cant think of any other reason why they made a great game and screwed up badly at the restaurantfight with Ellie. Apparently they ran out of inspiration on how to create a decent and balanced "bossfight" and just decided "hey, since i cant be arsed to write a decent AI for this fight, so lets just give the boss unlimited ammo, a wallhack so he can see through walls and let him just run and move without being visible when Ellie is listening.
    I played this part of the game several times to test and no matter where you hide, that guy just "by coincidence" knows exactly where you are and no matter where in the restaurant he is, he walks straight towards your hiding place.

It makes playing this part of the game as joyfull as playing COD with several wallhackers/aimbots.

Too bad because the rest of the game is very good and addictive (except from a few rediculous glitches that is)
  27. May 22, 2015
    I had no problem playing through this game from start to finish. However, the only reason the game was enjoyable was for its story. The relationship of Joel and Ellie and the struggles they faced throughout the game were awesome to watch and it felt like a movie. Sadly, the gameplay did not transition as well. The controls felt clunky, and the game had no survival feeling to it. TheI had no problem playing through this game from start to finish. However, the only reason the game was enjoyable was for its story. The relationship of Joel and Ellie and the struggles they faced throughout the game were awesome to watch and it felt like a movie. Sadly, the gameplay did not transition as well. The controls felt clunky, and the game had no survival feeling to it. The stealth sections were poorly done and were easily the worst part of the game. While the combat had some strategy to it, I felt no need to craft anything other than shivs and med-kits. The gameplay was just average and nothing more. Due to its boring and repetitive gameplay, the multiplayer was a borefest as well. And if you do not have a team to play with, do not play this game. It is nearly impossible to play. After playing the Uncharted series and enjoyed 2 and 3's multiplayer so much, this multiplayer was disappointing. Expand
  28. Apr 20, 2014
    Call your self a monkeys uncle and declare the world deceased because I'm not that keen on the Last of Us (back ground screams). Just let me explain.

Firstly with the title, who do you think us refers to? It isn't humans, there's tons of those. It could be psychopaths because by the end you are the only one least in the entire world BECAUSE YOU KILLED THEM ALL. Yes you would think with a vastly reduced population life would be valued a tad more but no it's cheaper than action figures at Kmart.

Secondary is the story. Many praise this to be the best written story in video games. And it certainly would be if you wiped out games like spec ops the line, bio shock, half life, dark souls and a whole load of other games from very existence. Yes while it does have a nice intro and is well presented it can be very predictable at times and does have a lot of coincidences like a really important item we though was gone forever just HAPPENED to be in a building we ran into in a chase scene. The characterisation between Ellie and Joel when their TOGETHER is fairly weak, Joel is just really a prick to her at times and Ellie at times really does say stupid things. But the absolute weakest part about it is the side characters. Naughty dog has this terrible habit of dehumanising every character except for the protagonist, at some point someone who has known Ellie all her life just decides to kill her because of reasons. Also the ending might lose you cause it did me.

The gameplay itself is quite well done, I liked the semi-linear environments with survival elements and highly limited resources for self-defence. However there are two gripping problems with it. One is Ellie herself, she's just there, she doesn't fight often unless scripted and enemies don't attack her, so why is she even here? For story yes but story should inform gameplay not patronise it into doing its bidding. The other problem is the super zombies. There so annoying, I try one attack that would normally clear out an entire army of infected bit it just doesn't effect them for some reason like a school boy bringing out his everything proof shield. I get we're supposed to be careful around them but I didn't expect getting my jugular vein eaten was appropriate punishment. Also the AI can be weird at times but now I'm just not picking.

All in all the Last of Us is pretty god and you can spend on worse games that came out around that time ride to help cough. But it is pretty over rated. Even the developers think so, the conference after the meeting the co of naughty dog thought that the game was mediocre. Well I hope this will lead them to make a better game in future. But for now go play the much under rated silent hill series. ( but not homecoming we don't talk about that one).
  29. Apr 18, 2014
    Ok, but really overrated and me personally, could care less for this game. I found the plot to be extremely unique and well developed getting better and better as the game progress. The game play i found ok, but nothing really new and interesting. I personally found the game play to be more like a survival game. Now to conclude, If you like survival games, then this is a game for you. IOk, but really overrated and me personally, could care less for this game. I found the plot to be extremely unique and well developed getting better and better as the game progress. The game play i found ok, but nothing really new and interesting. I personally found the game play to be more like a survival game. Now to conclude, If you like survival games, then this is a game for you. I understand people But for me i just don't care about this game so much. Expand
  30. Feb 27, 2014
    There are 3 things that really impressed me with this game :
    - the music and how it's used
    - the acting - the visual artistic approach I could add characters development, although I do feel the success on this part has more to do with the acting than the actual writing. The actors really make this work even when the dialog seems to a bit short on credibility or psychology. The
    There are 3 things that really impressed me with this game :
    - the music and how it's used
    - the acting
    - the visual artistic approach

The story is good, much better than in any game, and is interesting to watch because of the characters. I also found the ending very strong, because of the ambiguous feelings you get from it.

I'm a big fan of Half Life 2 and the Fallout series. In many ways, TLOU felt like an homage to these while being a sort of graphical upgrade. If Fallout 3 had the same graphics and the same level of voice acting, it would have been the game of the decade.

Where TLOU is very much lacking is on the gaming part. It's quite dumb and repetitive. No actual puzzle, the challenge is to find the exit of each map and that either involves sneaking past and optionally taking out humans or zombies (or infected, as they call them, like in 28 days later or world war z) and / or getting to the cut-scene that will give you access to the next area. Quite limited.

Also, there are quite a lot "dragon's lair" moments, as I call them. Dragon's lair was an experimental video game which was about watching an interactive cartoon and pressing the joystick button at the right moment. Well, in TLOU, there are many of those inept moments when you're asked to repeatedly press a key so that the cut-scene can go on. Most of the time, there's no challenge, no consequence and it mostly feels like a way to make sure you haven't fallen unsleep while the story goes on. Probably aimed at people with ADHD.

You can upgrade your characters and your weapons so that the game gets easier, but it doesn't affect the strategy you may use. There are a lot of things that are off like the companions walking on the feet of your enemies while you're sneaking, or the cut-scene showing your characters running away from something when you actually left a pile of body behind you and didn't feel any kind of hurry. Elements like gathering artifacts, pendants, and comics are... well... tedious and no fun at all. But I guess ND wanted to make sure you would explore every part of their gorgeous environments. In the end it doesn't help immersion. It's kind of weird being able to (somehow having to) waste a lot of time searching every corners when you're supposed to be on a mission of some kind. The scavenging part is very badly integrated and feels gratuitous.

That said, there are very strong moments in that story, even though the narration can feel quite sketchy. The winter part is probably my favorite, despite a rather clumsy narration, it succeeds in bringing intense emotions in its conclusion.

It's really a casual gamer's game, although a classy one. It also looks like a technical demo, although performed on rather dated hardware. But mostly, it's a piece of art that has video game elements in it.
  31. Dec 31, 2013
    The Last of Us fails as a game. Now now, that may not be bad. It just means that I dont care for it at all as a gaming experience. I am new to gaming and have a very black and white approach to games. All that I ask is to have some fun in this interactive experience.

There are sections in the last of us, where you will be thrown so many enemies that you will feel overwhelmed and that is what the creators want you to feel. What they do not want you to do is try to fight them off and they impose that by making the enemies invincible in those moments. They will fall, appear dead, and then get back up again and again for no reason other than to tell you that you are not supposed to fight them in this scene and that you should run instead.

This is MENTAL. Especially for a cinematic game which does not want to take you out of the immersion. If I cant fight them, then why not just have a cutscene of Joel getting into the car as soon as he was able to instead of having to realize it for myself. It’s like the game also wants to be a game and not just a movie you can experience playing. But it messes up by doing so. This is one example of many instances where you feel forced to certain actions, limiting your options and your control over what you do. During a stealth segment, the game can decide to have your accompanying npcs either talk loudly, walk around or even worse shooting at the creatures. Talking loudly and walking around will throw you out of the immersion instantly but it’s not as bad as when the NPCs decide to shoot because the game will actually react to that and enemy attention will be drawn. Did I mention these enemies kill you instantly? Just great. The checkpoint system is also very flawed and frustrating. It can save right before one of those instant kill enemies notice you and everytime you load up the game, you die again and again, forcing you to restart the section.
    I am dragging, but what I mean to say is that in a game that prioritizes story, making it overly difficult and having purposeful glitches and NPCs not concerned with the environment, just keeps adding distance between you and the game. It isn’t fun to play in that sense and the great story can’t be enjoyed as much. This is very much unlike Walking Dead, which has a similar story and environment but has the gameplay be simple for one to follow the story as closely as possible with no frustrations.

I had no interest in playing the game after about 10 hours of playing it. I felt no reward from playing it, no fun. I dreaded every encounter because I knew it was just there for it to be called a game (because a movie about this would be unoriginal in this day and age, especially with Cormac McArtney's The Road). So I went on youtube and looked at someone else beating the game at the end. The combat was boring but I got the resolution of the ending and I preferred it this way because the guy playing was a pro and I didn’t have to worry about dying at every turn just to get to the end. I literally had more enjoyment from watching this play out as a video than playing it. That, my friend, does not make it a game in my book.
  32. Nov 25, 2013
    Well, i have finally finished on the game, i think the story was really nice, but i really didn't liked the game play and the game genre is kinda overrated... the graphics are pretty amazing too, Naughty Dog, should look forward to a sequel.
  33. Nov 18, 2014
    I hated this game. Horrible plot, truly bad ending. The game was a constant thrust from one depressing scene to another with never a break from bleak and dismal content. Yes, I know that this is survival horror but unlike others of the genre, there is simply never any hope in this game. Not to mention the very tedious method of switching weapons and the constant scavenging for items toI hated this game. Horrible plot, truly bad ending. The game was a constant thrust from one depressing scene to another with never a break from bleak and dismal content. Yes, I know that this is survival horror but unlike others of the genre, there is simply never any hope in this game. Not to mention the very tedious method of switching weapons and the constant scavenging for items to keep the character alive and the illogic of enemies running through the same hail of bullets without harm while you get slaughtered. I greatly dislike illogical games where the character can't jump over a two foot fence to escape and instead has to climb over trucks, boulders and other obstacles. And the repetition, good grief. Always the same nonsense from area to area and the same solution as well. Expand
  34. Jun 4, 2014
    I found this game very far to be excellent, the iA is very bad, the enemies ALWAYS know where you are, they are psychics, another thing i found bad is the combat mechanics, it's very tedious to shoot enemies, the character is very weak and does not look like a hero at all. The graphics are ok, but that does not compensate the lack of liberty in the controls, some of the weapons areI found this game very far to be excellent, the iA is very bad, the enemies ALWAYS know where you are, they are psychics, another thing i found bad is the combat mechanics, it's very tedious to shoot enemies, the character is very weak and does not look like a hero at all. The graphics are ok, but that does not compensate the lack of liberty in the controls, some of the weapons are useless, like the molotov bombs, and it is very hard to find a good weapon, and that's a shame in a game that needs to have action and combat. This is NOT a survival horror game, maybe an average survival game, like I am alive. The plot is okay i think, but not excellent at all, finally i have to give this game a 6, and i am being a good person, because the game deserves less. Hope this is the only Last of us game, because is far to be a complete title. Expand
  35. Nov 7, 2013
    The fact that this gets such rave reviews is a testament to the fact that the video game industry needs real writers. The story is...alright, really. If this was a move or TV series, I strongly believe it would have gotten a tepid reaction -unnecessary plot lines, strange pacing, filler segments, predictable twists, erratic behavior/ out of character moments, ect... but for game writingThe fact that this gets such rave reviews is a testament to the fact that the video game industry needs real writers. The story is...alright, really. If this was a move or TV series, I strongly believe it would have gotten a tepid reaction -unnecessary plot lines, strange pacing, filler segments, predictable twists, erratic behavior/ out of character moments, ect... but for game writing it's awesome, the characters are usually believable, the acting is good and the core of the story is solid, and those are the primary merits of the game. Those are the reasons that no-one is mentioning the samey enemies (I feel like I fought about three types of guys who were continuously re-skinned throughout the game) nobody mentions the copious backtracking that occurs throughout the game, nobody mentions the wonky controls which make it difficult to land precise shots on rapidly moving enemies, nobody dwells on getting lost inside stages with little indication on where to go/what to do to progress (I'm looking at you University Stage). Honestly, they delivered a solid experience on most fronts, but thanks to pushing the envelop on the story front for video games, where honestly the bar isn't all that high, everyone forgets to nitpick the game play and level design features and fall head over heels for the game.
    I lost my motivation to play around the time that I had to backtrack through waves of generic spawns (why are their so many bandits raiding abandoned locations in the post apocalypse where humanity is barely hanging by a thread, anyway?) after discovering the abandoned firefly base. I basically forced myself to play out the rest of the game, partially because I had invested so much time in it, and partially because I thought I was closer to the end than I, in fact, was.
    It should be obvious that I wasn't quite as enamored with the story as the majority of reviewers, but I think that most of those reviews would find that, if they put the story aside, what's underneath is a solid, but unremarkable action/stealth game hybrid. Hardly the pinnacle of PS3 gaming that it's being touted as.
  36. Jul 25, 2013
    This game IS over rated. I can't imagine all the perfect scores failed me AGAIN. This used to be the most reliable site to find an honest review. I'm not sure what is going on, but maybe some reviewers jumped the gun on this one. Either that or because of the "PERFECT SCORES", I expected something worth being "perfect".... I was anticipating something epic. something that would blow myThis game IS over rated. I can't imagine all the perfect scores failed me AGAIN. This used to be the most reliable site to find an honest review. I'm not sure what is going on, but maybe some reviewers jumped the gun on this one. Either that or because of the "PERFECT SCORES", I expected something worth being "perfect".... I was anticipating something epic. something that would blow my mind. Got to the end of the game, and never found what is so PERFECT about it... AND WHAT IS UP WITH THE DLC NOT BEING revealed what it is, It's just access to online game playing. Wish I'd never bought it. Already paid TOO MUCH for this short single player game. There is nothing perfect about this game, and it was actually disappointing at the very end. I think I just got bamboozled. Expand
  37. Aug 2, 2013
    Still don't understand how this game is any better than TombRiader or Dishonored. This game is nothing special. Maybe for console gamers this game is impressive but for a PC gamer this game is just another average game at best. Alright graphics, same old boring game play and okish story. Nothing special.
  38. Apr 16, 2014
    The most overrated "game" of all time. The atmosphere and story are decent, but there is very little actual gameplay. You probably won't realize this on your first playthrough because you will be playing overly cautiously and exploring for materials, wondering what is around the next corner. But once you've beaten it, you will understand that there are very few fights with enemies and aThe most overrated "game" of all time. The atmosphere and story are decent, but there is very little actual gameplay. You probably won't realize this on your first playthrough because you will be playing overly cautiously and exploring for materials, wondering what is around the next corner. But once you've beaten it, you will understand that there are very few fights with enemies and a whole lot of slow boring sections spent walking around listening to Ellie, separated by lots of cutscenes. The multiplayer can be enjoyable, but the poor hit detection coupled with the slow pace isn't likely to hold many peoples' attention for very long. Expand
  39. Jul 26, 2013
    While this wasn't the game I expected it to be, it is a great one none-the-less. It's basically uncharted with zombies when I was hoping for something more engaging and story-driven. However, I do feel as if it is being over hyped. It isn't The best game to come out for the last couple of years and certainly isn't a 10/10 in my books. Don't get me wrong it's a great game, just don't goWhile this wasn't the game I expected it to be, it is a great one none-the-less. It's basically uncharted with zombies when I was hoping for something more engaging and story-driven. However, I do feel as if it is being over hyped. It isn't The best game to come out for the last couple of years and certainly isn't a 10/10 in my books. Don't get me wrong it's a great game, just don't go out and buy a PS3 just for this game. Expand
  40. Feb 3, 2014
    Basically Uncharted with zombies!
    This game is very linear and brings nothing new to any gameplay mechanic that has been used in any third person action game. The story is spectacular yes, but I don't buy video games to watch a movie! What matters to me is gameplay, and this is the same gripe I have with uncharted: the gameplay is simply lacking
  41. Aug 9, 2014
    I felt restricted by the banality of the puzzles and the sections where the 'run button' is deactivated. The excellence of the art and level design is moderately entertaining, even when Joel is restricted to slowly walk through 10 minute sections. So it takes a non-gamer mindset to appreciate the game, imagining what the world has been like leading up to the state presented, rather than aI felt restricted by the banality of the puzzles and the sections where the 'run button' is deactivated. The excellence of the art and level design is moderately entertaining, even when Joel is restricted to slowly walk through 10 minute sections. So it takes a non-gamer mindset to appreciate the game, imagining what the world has been like leading up to the state presented, rather than a classic problem-solving approach where you are fully attended to progressing through the game. When Call of Duty shows technical excellence and standard gameplay, I call it an entertaining game. TLoU is similar in its ratio of technical excellence vs gameplay innovation. It's entertaining and a feast for the eyes. But the exciting zombie franchise is still called The Walking Dead, and the exciting Naughty Dog franchise is called Uncharted.

I leaned towards a 7/10 or even 8/10, but I stopped playing after completing the campaign. No alternative game modes (except online) to play around with. No exciting trophies to attempt. Just a few dozen inconsequential collectibles scattered throughout the campaign, and trophies for completing it several times. In a campaign where so many sections play on the strength of surprise and 'first-sight-marvel' I'd just rather play something else after seeing it once.

The ending is satisfying, but you could just read a plot summary and then watch the final hour on Youtube and get what the game wanted to tell. I liked the message (hint: love) but it wasn't necessary to trod through so many hours of slow progression to feel the impact of the story.
  42. Dec 17, 2013
    I'm one of those people who got TLOU expecting a masterpiece to be remembered for years, but found myself unable to connect to the Feelings so many others seem to have. It's not a bad game, but it's far from "the best game ever", as some call it. Let me explain.

The prologue (the first playable sequence) showed a lot of promise. The story was very well presented, there were interactable objects all over the house that told me a bit more about the characters,and there were some calm, emotionally touching moments followed by the very exciting intro to the "Zombie apocalypse" scenario.

Sadly, the intro was the best part of the game. The story then very abruptly changed to a point in time 20 years later with little explanation of what happened in the meantime, and the story "evolved" to a rather predictable relay race from one zombie-infested location to the next. Maybe others didn't find it as predictable, but I've watched and played a lot of zombie apocalypse scenarios since they became popular (the reason Ellie is special and needs to be saved has been done before, as well), and once you understand that the designers intend for you to keep sneaking or shooting your way past more and more clusters of infected with little to no meaningful human interaction in between, it's hard to be drawn in emotionally.

There were no more interactive objects apart from occasional notes to pick up and read. Other characters can't be talked to apart from strictly scripted and linear FMVs (and in those, you can't even choose what answer you want to give), all those other survivors in the first location are just background decoration. The secondary main character remains a stranger for the most part, and you can't make any meaningful decisions that influence the story. The game is extremely linear. I had expected something more along the lines of The Walking Dead (by Telltale), whose story is 10 times more emotionally touching and exciting with the difficult decisions it forces you to make. Rather than just excuses to send more hordes of zombies at you at the next stop of the pre-determined relay race.

I'm someone who cries very easily, even when reading books, but I absolutely cannot relate to the people who claim The Last of Us made them cry. There just wasn't enough story in between the linear zombie human soldier mashing for me to care about the characters.

As for the gameplay, it isn't bad, but both the sneaking and melee shooting have been done better, by far. Enemies don't see you behind knee-high boxes, in full daylight, when they are one meter away, and the friendly NPCs with their awkward pathing run right into hordes of opponents (while you are carefully sneaking around) without being noticed. That is, if they're not blocking your way. Some help they are! Sneaking generally works well, but after the xth large group of clickers spread over multiple rooms it gets dull, it's not a challenge, just takes a long time because you need to move very slowly. Ammo is too limited for shooting to be a permanent alternative, so you're forced to sneak. Melee isn't always an alternative either, as clickers will grab and instakill you if you don't kill them with the first melee hit. Deus Ex Human Revoution shows how sneaking and shooting can blend together well in a single game (and how to make sneaking fun), the same isn't true here.

The graphics are decent. Nothing world-shaking as some would have you believe, the FMVs are however very well done, with facial expressions that come close to Heavy Rain's quality.

In a nutshell:

-Story has been done MUCH better (The Walking Dead, Deus Ex HR, Heavy Rain etc). Extremely linear, no meaningful decisions, only a few randomly scattered notes to read apart from fully scripted FMVs.
    -Sneaking was done better by the Thief series 10+ years ago, as well as others
    -Shooter friends will be disappointed by the lack of ammo and forced to sneak
    -Gameplay gets very repetitive, very small number of different infected and the same 2 or so types of human soldiers.

I'd like to mention something that was truly "great" but nothing comes to mind. It's not a bad game, it was fun, though without any chair-gripping excitement or truly memorable moments. I'd recommend it at a reduced price, without high expectations.
  43. Jan 21, 2014
    An absolutely amazing game from what little I've been able to play. Only reason it didn't get a 10 was the fact that after getting around 25% of the way thru the game started glitchung and then would crash and have literally spent more time trying to fox that then playing the game on its own.
  44. Feb 9, 2014
    The game is good. It’s not the most amazing thing on the planet, it’s not revolutionary; it’s just good. The story is great and the gameplay is well thought out, however, I do not see what the big deal is and how it deserves to be deemed a masterpiece.
  45. Jul 5, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Last Of Us is a game brought you by Naughty Dog, they gave us the Uncharted franchise and Jak and Daxter. But will this game be great as many people expected? Was the hype worth it? Maybe, some people call it a "masterpiece" others call it "The Best Game of All Time". This game starts out really interesting, you start to play as Sarah, daughter of Joel (the protagonist). The zombie apocalypse starts and Sarah dies. 20 years later you need to escort a girl (Ellie) across the United States Wasteland. The first thing I noticed, the voice acting was flawless and graphics looked beautiful. But my hype was over in 5 minutes because all you do in the game is walk, accompanied by some back-story, I'm not a big fan of Walk-and-Hear in videogames. But this was awful. There was no zombies in the game (they appear every 3 hours in the game). And AI is pretty much non-existent (apart from Ellie) Tess is supposed to help you dammit!

Still from those flaws, this game is still good, and overrated
    7.5/10
  46. Jun 20, 2014
    Call it an opinion if you want but my feeling is that video games differentiate themselves from other forms of media such as movies, and books by providing gameplay. The Last Of Us may easily be one of the greatest stories ever told through the medium of video games, that however does not warrent an instant 10 from me, and I feel it should apply the same to all of you. It costs less thanCall it an opinion if you want but my feeling is that video games differentiate themselves from other forms of media such as movies, and books by providing gameplay. The Last Of Us may easily be one of the greatest stories ever told through the medium of video games, that however does not warrent an instant 10 from me, and I feel it should apply the same to all of you. It costs less than 10 buck to go to the movies, most books cost less than 30 bucks , a good story should not cost 60. If I can beat a game under 12 hrs , in my opinion its not a good value for 60, (and it STILL costs near 60 new).
    Just for a minute lets talk about Naughty Dog, who made a serious name for themselves with the uncharted franchise. Ive played all the uncharted games, and I have to say, im suprised Naughty Dog hasent been sued for copying either the Tomb Raider games and movies, or the Indiana Jones movies, or BOTH! Then with the theme decided, they basically stuck it to a copy the God Of War game play style, and somehow the comination of thoes thing fooled everyone into thinking this game company makes original games.
    Then The Last Of Us come out in the dead middle of a huge pop culture zombie fad, and BOOM peope eat it up, and people begin to refer to Naughty Dog as Naughty God. Naughy Dog may hav fooled 9.1 out of every 10 of you into beleving that story overshadows gameplay, but im not so quick to bite the carrot at the end of the stick.
  47. Jul 1, 2014
    The Last of Us is a game with watered down physics, predictable story lines, and characters that don't really have any depth.

This game has been beaten into the ground to the point where I don't think it could have ever lived up to the hype, however, that does not justify the problems stated earlier. Does the game look good? Yes, looks amazing! However, everything else is just...

Does the game look good? Yes, looks amazing! However, everything else is just... meh... I was very let down when I played this game and do not recommend purchasing it unless you enjoy mediocre titles.
  48. Nov 24, 2014
    The last of us is okay. It isn't by any means bad, but neither is it any good. Everything about this game is just middle of the road. The combat could have used some tweaking, as the guns are completely useless and I would have liked an option to not use melee weapons and save them on other specific enemies as apposed to whoever comes close enough for me to use it. As for the multi-player,The last of us is okay. It isn't by any means bad, but neither is it any good. Everything about this game is just middle of the road. The combat could have used some tweaking, as the guns are completely useless and I would have liked an option to not use melee weapons and save them on other specific enemies as apposed to whoever comes close enough for me to use it. As for the multi-player, avoid it at all costs. It's just tacked on and was added as a selling point rather then being something fun to play. The story was predictable and I didn't really care for any of the characters except for Joel. Yes, I know that the developers didn't want anyone to like him, but he's the only person who made sense to me in the game.

All in all, I don't think the game is deserving of any of the awards it got and it hasn't earned it's place on my shelf. 6/10.
  49. Nov 25, 2014
    Action is predictable, same enemies on different maps, same ways to kill them. Bad crafting system.
    Story, good but boring after played a while.
    Great graphics for ps3.
  50. Aug 2, 2013
    I bought this game because it was Naughty Dog and that was it. In my opinion the game is overhyped and overrated. It's a good game, with an interesting story, but that's it. It's not the best game of all time, it's not the best Playstation game; it's not even the best game of 2013. It's a middle of the road good game.
    I hated the over the shoulder viewpoint and I found the direction
    I hated the over the shoulder viewpoint and I found the direction movement controls very clunky.
    A good game, but not a great one.
  51. Jul 25, 2013
    as an exclusive cant rate it above 5. as a rule of a thumb an exclusive on console can never go above 5 especially 1 thats really brilliant. i wont praise a console specific exclusive like others do since i dont believe in exclusives. thankfully my money went elsewhere for a ps3 and this game. sorry sony you aren't getting my money for just 1 game. shouldve thought about porting it to pcas an exclusive cant rate it above 5. as a rule of a thumb an exclusive on console can never go above 5 especially 1 thats really brilliant. i wont praise a console specific exclusive like others do since i dont believe in exclusives. thankfully my money went elsewhere for a ps3 and this game. sorry sony you aren't getting my money for just 1 game. shouldve thought about porting it to pc if you wanted more money. just because they rival Microsoft doesn't mean it should be ps3 only Expand
  52. Jul 26, 2013
    When I saw the reviews for this game, I though it would be great. But the game is so repetitive, you just shoot the same zombies over and over again. This game does not deserve a 10/10.
  53. Aug 20, 2013
    I had super high expectations for this game. I think anyone would with all the ridiculously high reviews it was getting from journalists/players alike. The prologue was a 10/10 no doubt. It was pretty standard zombie apocalypse fanfare, but it was so well-presented.

After the prologue I was super hyped. Then the real game started. To sum it up I'd say it's super-generic stealth gameplay. There is nothing unique or innovative about it. It's been done a million times in other games. Now I'm not a fan of innovation for innovation's sake, but compared to the relatively high quality of the game's also somewhat generic but well-presented story, characters, dialogue, and voice acting, the gameplay sticks out like a sore thumb. To me it just wasn't fun. I found myself dreading the gameplay segments and wanting more story.

If I were to rate TLoU on its story, characters, etc I'd give it an 8, maybe 8.5. But as a video game where gameplay is the most important factor (in my opinion), I can't give it more than a 6/10.
  54. Jul 19, 2013
    A good game, but more flawed at the conceptual level than a Naughty Dog game should be and therefore disappointing. The AI teammates constantly ruin immersion when the player is trying to avoid enemies or perform a stealth attack because they are invisible to enemies. Naughty Dog had to do this to keep the AI from getting the player killed, but still be able to have an AI character forA good game, but more flawed at the conceptual level than a Naughty Dog game should be and therefore disappointing. The AI teammates constantly ruin immersion when the player is trying to avoid enemies or perform a stealth attack because they are invisible to enemies. Naughty Dog had to do this to keep the AI from getting the player killed, but still be able to have an AI character for Joel to interact with. This is the main problem with the game. Another problem is the linear nature of the game and the complete lack of choices afforded to the player, but since this is a Naughty Dog game these aren't surprising or unexpected. There is also far too many encounters with bandits who shoot on sight. This wouldn't be a problem if the enemies dropped ammo more often, but most enemies with guns do not drop any ammunition at all which is nonsense. Expand
  55. Sep 23, 2013
    Naughty Dog has never produced anything original or inventive! Just as Crash Bandicoot ripped off Mario, The Last of Us is a rip off! Ha! This game needs to be called "Metal Gear Evil"! That's essentially what the game is! It's Solid Snake Redfield and Juno meet the Walking Dead and 28 Weeks Later! It follows the Resident Evil 5 formula, seemingly big open area turned into a linearNaughty Dog has never produced anything original or inventive! Just as Crash Bandicoot ripped off Mario, The Last of Us is a rip off! Ha! This game needs to be called "Metal Gear Evil"! That's essentially what the game is! It's Solid Snake Redfield and Juno meet the Walking Dead and 28 Weeks Later! It follows the Resident Evil 5 formula, seemingly big open area turned into a linear exploration escort mission, but the combat is ripped straight from Metal Gear Solid! Don't get me wrong, it's a great game, but you're better off renting than buying. It's only 20-ish hours of game play at the most. Expand
  56. Sep 4, 2013
    The biggest issue with this AAA title is that due to its heavy focus on story-telling that it forgets to be a game first and an interactive film second. The game plays great and all but through out the whole campaign, it fails to go anywhere with it but rather keep players in a repetition of collecting items and shooting enemies. Of course, the game offers a variety in ways you encounterThe biggest issue with this AAA title is that due to its heavy focus on story-telling that it forgets to be a game first and an interactive film second. The game plays great and all but through out the whole campaign, it fails to go anywhere with it but rather keep players in a repetition of collecting items and shooting enemies. Of course, the game offers a variety in ways you encounter enemies but not enough to keep its gameplay interesting. It could have easily avoided such redundancy by introducing new gameplay mechanics or new enemies or boss encounters in the mid game to keep things fresh and make gameplay more engaging. The whole campaign felt very flat. The last section of gameplay felt very anti-climatic. It was a bit more challenging than the rest of the game but it wasn't much different from what you were doing the entire time. Stealth, kill, collect items, repeat over and over. The online mode is nice but that won't save the main campaign from its mediocrity.
    If they ever make a sequel, I hope they'll make a better game than a better interactive b-movie.
  57. Sep 17, 2013
    It's not as good as expected :(
    You know, it's fun and all..but it's not... how can I explain.. it doesn't feel good!
    The survival aspect isn't really well made, you die a lot, but the reasons are pretty dumb. It's a lot of try and error imo and that's not cool.
    The Story is pretty good, but nothing you never have seen before.

Still a good game, but yeah..
  58. Aug 26, 2013
    The Last of Us is a game that can most accurately be described as Uncharted (with Zombies). It has it's moments, but quickly becomes a repetitive mess of menial tasks that provide you with little to no gratification. The story is it's most redeeming quality, but even that feels a bit overdone. But hey, zombies. They're everyone's favorite cliche nowadays.
  59. Sep 19, 2013
    this game is just you average corridor shooter with a 13 year old annoying the game is not bad its just not a praising factor for my a 91 is a little high for this game also the ending is just not worth my time but the graphics are amazing its great what Naughty Dog did to this game I can just imagine there shine on the Ps4 the gameplay is not survival like but the game is extremelythis game is just you average corridor shooter with a 13 year old annoying the game is not bad its just not a praising factor for my a 91 is a little high for this game also the ending is just not worth my time but the graphics are amazing its great what Naughty Dog did to this game I can just imagine there shine on the Ps4 the gameplay is not survival like but the game is extremely forgiving there is various checkpoints and just does not feel like a infected invasion also the Stealth like gameplay does not help this game the multiplayer surprisingly is great but the amount of lag is just unbearable also you need a online pass for it does not make it any better also the shooting in this game is kind of odd feeling when Joel shakes the reticle when he shoots his gun this game might be for you if you into the SiFi feeling video but for me its just okay Expand
  60. Oct 11, 2013
    I give this game a 5/10 because it contains only half the required components for a great videogame. The story was compelling, the characters were hilarious, and the graphics beautiful. However, that's all. The gameplay was identical to all the Uncharted games. You play a seemingly invincible character who slaughters hundreds of infected/bandits. And between sequences of mercilessI give this game a 5/10 because it contains only half the required components for a great videogame. The story was compelling, the characters were hilarious, and the graphics beautiful. However, that's all. The gameplay was identical to all the Uncharted games. You play a seemingly invincible character who slaughters hundreds of infected/bandits. And between sequences of merciless slaughter you got to watch a beautiful cutscene...Only for it to lead into another sequence of merciless slaughter. Rinse and repeat for 15 hours and that's 'The Last of Us."

Remove all those shooting sequences, what are you left with? A movie. If I wanted to watch movie I'd go to my local theater and pay 12 bucks as opposed to 60. "The Last of Us" lacks all the things needed to make it a videogame.

There's a one button crafting system that relies on the same three ingredients. That's only other game mechanic besides walking and shooting. (Oh and sometimes hiding and shooting.) The only puzzles in the game relied on floating pallets and witty banter. Sometimes moving a plank or two.

When I saw countless "10/10" scores, I was expecting something groundbreaking. I wanted to be as wowed as everybody else, I really did. But as the credits rolled, I had to search for a reason to like the game; and didn't come up with anything. I didn't feel rewarded for completing the game whatsoever.

For those curious, I played the game on easy because I feel that a good game should stand up on its own, regardless of the difficulty of the enemies.
  61. Jun 21, 2013
    There are good games, and then there's Medal of honor warfighter, The Last of Us is a good game, but not as good as some may tell you. The game play is repititive, with easily exploitable enemies and lack of variety in said enemies, the can't even really be called puzzles, moving a ladder is not as hard as some may think. The thing that makes this game stand out from the crowd is theThere are good games, and then there's Medal of honor warfighter, The Last of Us is a good game, but not as good as some may tell you. The game play is repititive, with easily exploitable enemies and lack of variety in said enemies, the can't even really be called puzzles, moving a ladder is not as hard as some may think. The thing that makes this game stand out from the crowd is the relationships between main and supporting characters. Ellie and Joel have great chemistry, I mean GREAT chemistry. The graphics are also incredible, not suprising coming from the company that got past the steep learning curve of ps3 specs. Overall, a game with not the best gameplay, but an amazing cast and story. Expand
  62. Dec 18, 2013
    Is the Last of Us a good game? No, it's a fantastic game. Graphics are good, gameplay is good and cinemathics are even better. So why do I rate it a six?
    Because I continue to have new bugs popping up, which is not normal for a game which is out for more than half a year.
    At 50% of the game, I got a black screen that didn't move on after the initial "the last of us" startup screen. After 4 retries and a playstation software update it worked again. At 60% of the game, a cinematic didn't work properly so had to skip it. At 85% of the game new cinematic that didn't work properly and crashed my ps3. After restart I could only get past it after skipping the movie. Shortly after, new cinematic which didn't work and since than after starting up the game it halts at either 0 or 15% of the game being loaded. So now again online to find a fix for it, real bummer cus the game is for the rest superb.
  63. Jun 16, 2013
    If 5 is an average game, this is well deserving of a 7 or an 8. The graphics are amazing, the game play isn't clunky, the atmosphere is well toned, the characters are unique, and the game is solid. I haven't experienced the auto-save bug, so I can't comment on that, however, I do not feel this game is deserving of a 10. It's a 'Zombie Apocalypse' style game, which makes the plot prettyIf 5 is an average game, this is well deserving of a 7 or an 8. The graphics are amazing, the game play isn't clunky, the atmosphere is well toned, the characters are unique, and the game is solid. I haven't experienced the auto-save bug, so I can't comment on that, however, I do not feel this game is deserving of a 10. It's a 'Zombie Apocalypse' style game, which makes the plot pretty predictable. The 'stealth' system is pretty easy to abuse for gamers accustomed to the genre, and the non player characters don't seem to attract the attention of the Infected despite standing up and running within sneezing distance of the enemies to get to the player controlled character who is trying to sneak around (which can really ruin the mood). However, it is a good game overall and deserving of a play through by most gamers. Expand
  64. Jun 16, 2013
    Beautiful graphics, nice acting and writing and that tried-and-true Naughty Dog cinematic action brings a creepy, but shallow swan song to the PS3. I must admit I got tired of walking around in the pitch dark with my flashlight trying to find some arbitrary hole I'm supposed to climb through. I also was disappointed with the combat which, while tense at first, soon became a slog that iBeautiful graphics, nice acting and writing and that tried-and-true Naughty Dog cinematic action brings a creepy, but shallow swan song to the PS3. I must admit I got tired of walking around in the pitch dark with my flashlight trying to find some arbitrary hole I'm supposed to climb through. I also was disappointed with the combat which, while tense at first, soon became a slog that i wanted to get over with.
    The infected, with their fungal growths ripping through their bodies, are truly horrific and are bound to give me a nightmare or two.
    Really good game, but Uncharted 2 is Naughty Dogs masterpiece, in my opinion.
  65. Jul 2, 2013
    This game's hype is way overblown, and video games get a huge "pass" when it comes to storytelling because they are so laughably behind the curve compared to everything else in that department, which I don't accept. If it were a movie, show, or book, there's absolutely no way it would exist without everyone going "Wait. Um, this is a huge rip-off. This is just taken directly from (a numberThis game's hype is way overblown, and video games get a huge "pass" when it comes to storytelling because they are so laughably behind the curve compared to everything else in that department, which I don't accept. If it were a movie, show, or book, there's absolutely no way it would exist without everyone going "Wait. Um, this is a huge rip-off. This is just taken directly from (a number of different things, including other games). But because it's a video game, I have to hear about it's staggering genius on every website for 3 weeks. Also, who isn't tired of hiding behind cover and firing guns yet? Expand
  66. Jun 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I stopped playing this game about 1/3 in. 1 week later I watched the online play through just for story, so I know what the fuzz will be about when we will be talking about this game later, as I am sure many of my friends will do. As for me, I didn't like it. It felt like a really simple game with very easy puzzles, who required nothing from you but looking around for stuff like a scavenger fool. Don't get me wrong, the opening was great, but after playing Bioshock:Infinite, I guess I was spoiled as the companion in that game was much better than the ones in this one, in regards to mechanism. If you stealth, they run around like idiots. If you swim across a place, your companion would use powerpuff magic to get to you. It does not feel as real as in Bioshock, and it makes it feel like the companion are just put into the game to not get in your way and be a conversationalist.

Further on everyone are irrational idiots in this world. The environment and atmosphere does not collude with how the world is presented. If you even payed the slightest attention in the nature science classes or even the social sciences, you'd know some of the approaches done in this game are beyond stupid. It's like they wiped the world of anyone with a brain and left the idiots in charge, just to give you an excuse for a game. You have thriving wildlife, nature working just fine and the only problem are a bunch of people who can bite you and some underground fungus. I mean after you are done you've pretty much cleared a whole area of infected people, and could alone be the guardian of humanity, as these people represent no bigger threat than a bad neighborhood. Hell a 14 year old girl are wiping the floor with them, and could easily be cleared by the local militia in a matter of weeks. The fungus are not more dangerous than you can walk through it with a gas mask, you even have a god damn smuggling route through it regularly, yet this is just too hard to eradicate? Like, Come on! Also wtf is the obsession for a cure, from the looks of things you don't need it as the local crime lord packs a bigger punch than the infected ever will. The main character I could not relate to, as he was murdering people left and right "because he have to in order to survive" which is a reason judged from the circumstances, only true in words "because we told you so" and not from a real threat presented in the game. Also he never even considered handing over Ellie to the proper authorities and instead goes through hell for an untrusted weak terrorist organization. Again, the stupidity is beyond what I can fathom. And I get it, this is not the real world, you have to accept some thing in order to keep the story going. Mass Effect was not great because they gave you schematics for their relay stations, but when they try to emerge you as a person into a game, and they try to make that game a survival horror based on what could happen in reality, then I feel that you should require somewhat realistic behavior and not boil it down to "I'm a tough guy who can take care of a 14 year old in a post zombified world".

Now maybe this game is just not for me, I'm not a big fan of zombie games in general, though I don't dislike them either. I guess there will be no one to read this in the end, as I am on the wrong side of the mainstream fence on this one, but I guess I'll just write this for myself to help me understand why I didn't like it. I expected greatness, I expected a really good story, I expected immersion with my companions and character on a level of the best RPGs, and all I got was this world full of irrational idiots, a story about getting from A to B and a main character with zero choice other than making a fool out of himself over and over and over again.
  67. Jul 12, 2013
    If you liked the Uncharted series, you might like this. The extremely high reviews this game has received are due to AAA title hype, it is not a 10, it is about a 6, on a real scale of 10 that doesn't begin at 8 and end at 10.
  68. Jul 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Last of Us has been called many things. It has the titles of "greatest game of the generation", "greatest ps3 exclusive" and "best zombie game", in order from most, to least ridiculous. The Last of Us fails to push the boundaries of gaming in any way. Not only does it not push the boundaries, it ultimately fails in the execution of tried and true gameplay mechanics and story cliches that would seem so easy to replicate.
    The story is almost completely throwaway when you see how many recycled events from other zombie movies/games The Last of Us has jumbled together, humiliatingly paling in comparison to Telltale's The Walking Dead. The gameplay, just as well, is nothing stellar, inventive, fresh, or any other word someone could come up with for "good". Shaky shooting (I know it was made this way to give realism), upgrade benches, scarce ammo, and the upside down shooting sequence call up much too many similarities with the Dead Space series to be coincidental. At least if you use the mechanics from another game, an attempt should be made to improve on the mechanics, which did not happen. On the same point as gameplay, the "puzzling" (I call it that because I have no other words it) is basically a slap to the face. Take this, put it here, take this, put it here. Random plank of wood lying right where you need it, random ladder right next to the truck you need to climb. These "puzzling" events are completely pointless and are a very tedious and cheap way to make the game longer. I understand the needs for the puzzles, though. After walking from battle arena to battle arena to battle arena, I would rather be doing anything than walking to another freaking battle arena. This is a horrible attempt to break up the tedious arenas, with tedious puzzles. That is it for gameplay, next is environments. While the graphics are great, the environments are bland, with nothing really sticking out. When I first saw the vine covered streets, I will admit, I was impressed. After seeing the same vine covered streets for ten hours? Not so much. Another problem with the environments is the cover. It seems like in every room there is a labyrinth of conveniently chest high cover. Next, is the technical aspect. As many have noted, the AI is horribly stupid. Enemies usually wait four or five seconds before shooting you, see dead bodies and do nothing, and walk out of cover. The friendly AI is no better. They will get in your way, and yes, they yell to you while clickers are around, and nothing happens. The last thing i will be talking about, and by FAR the biggest put off of the game for me, was Ellie. When you first get Ellie as a partner, she is annoying and rude, spewing out swear after swear to the point where it is mind numbing. Three hours later, she is still annoying and rude. And she has by far the most unrealistic reactions to death I have ever seen. Three disemboweled swat members? Meh. Boy I just talked to yesterday turned and tried to kill me? Okay. I know she grew up in the apocalypse, but her reaction when somebody dies should be more than "oh, that guy died."
    The Last of Us is a jumbled mess of story and gameplay ideas taken from other sources. It does nothing very good, but everything good enough to pull in the gamers with unmatched fanboy love for PS3 and Naughty Dog. Now I know what everyone is thinking, "omg xbox fanboy rated down the game." This is simply untrue. Think about it, if this game was made by a different developer, and was not an exclusive, it would be throwaway. But somehow all of the problems with the game were dismissed as "nitpicking." It goes to show how low of an opinion the gaming community has when such a cliched game as the Last of Us can even be called "game of the year" or "best PS3 exclusive" or even "best zombie game" while games like Bioshock Infinite, Metal Gear Solid 4, and The Walking Dead exist.
    To end this overly long review, The Last of Us is by no means a bad game. There is nothing about it I can say i like, but it's playable.Its not great, its not fresh, or inventive, or anything of the nature.
  69. Aug 15, 2013
    To be completely honest it wasn't too... Well I often felt like doing anything else instead of playing it.
    I got fairly far into the game.
    The game was awesome! I would give it a great score but it wasn't as fun as everyone made it seem to be.
    But that's just me and everyone I got to try it...
    Have fun playing it everyone else who loves it! Have an awesome day.
  70. Nov 11, 2013
    I found that this game was massively over hyped to be a zombie survival game. But if you ask me there is only serving at the beginning. But after a while it just gets stupid, like you can have lots of guns a huge backpack and a hell alot of ammo. While the title is called the Last of us, there seems to be lots of people still left. The retard supper zombies is a bad idea they can one hitI found that this game was massively over hyped to be a zombie survival game. But if you ask me there is only serving at the beginning. But after a while it just gets stupid, like you can have lots of guns a huge backpack and a hell alot of ammo. While the title is called the Last of us, there seems to be lots of people still left. The retard supper zombies is a bad idea they can one hit kill you, which seems to be the way that I die the most. Also Ellie is pointless although she can be helpful the AI doesn't take note of her. Expand
  71. Jun 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I bought this game not really knowing anything about it besides that it seemed way over hyped. I'm currently playing the game and would guess to be about half way. Most of the 10/10 reviews are terrible "OMG DAT INTRO" or "I LUVS NaUgHtY DoG." While the ones that rate 0-3/10 are doing so on the anger of the save game glitch or argue about the stupidity of the 10/10 over hypers.

I will admit the game is good and enjoyable do I think its game of the year..no. The graphics look good the environments are nice (for an apocalypse) Its nice to see ruins that are not cookie cutters of each other. The houses you explore look realistic and will make you wonder about the previous residents.

The down side is those good looking environments are pretty much one way streets. Some areas if you go off the path you may find a few items, ammo or a letter even then its not that far out of the way. Combat gets old quickly all baddies are crack shots while you will waste bullets trying to hit them as run straight at you. Enemies armed with guns will not drop their ammo for some reason even if they didn't fire a shot.

The story is obvious from the start. The intro mentions the Fireflies a group of rebels being hounded by the military. As soon as that was said I knew I would be forced to join/help them. This bothered me the most the game is about survival. Joel makes it obvious he wants to live so agreeing to help a terrorist organization who is being slaughtered as you speak to their leader who suffering from a gunshot to the gut doesn't seem like it will have a good outcome.

You end up helping the Fireflies by smuggling Ellie out of the zone. At some point you are caught by soldiers who check for infection. You kill them and realize Ellie is infected but is somehow immune and the Fireflies want to create a cure. This is by far one of the most overused tropes in my opinion. I would have been more impressed if it turned out Ellie was the origin of the virus or something.

Then you have Tess who is doomed from the start. Trailers made a big deal about Joel and Ellie surviving together so I knew she had a time limit on her.

As for the multiplayer its fun but nothing special. I liked the customized character even though you don't play as your character. You pick what hat, mask, and helmet you wear then when the match starts you'll be randomly a male or female of a different race.

All in all the game is good fun. Does it deserve all the 10's? No. Does it deserve 0's? No. Its an above average game that you will enjoy.

Also if you haven't played the game don't write a review with a 10 saying how good the game is. That just makes you look like a douche bag fan boy.
  72. Jun 18, 2013
    Woopedy Doo another zombie story that supposedly has depth because of the serious dialogue. If you didn't get enough of this from the Walking Dead game, movie, comic book or the book Cell from Stephen King here is yet another helping. Welcome to Uncharted 4, The Walking Undead. This game sports beautiful visuals and settings in which your sole purpose in life is to get from point A toWoopedy Doo another zombie story that supposedly has depth because of the serious dialogue. If you didn't get enough of this from the Walking Dead game, movie, comic book or the book Cell from Stephen King here is yet another helping. Welcome to Uncharted 4, The Walking Undead. This game sports beautiful visuals and settings in which your sole purpose in life is to get from point A to point B. Spoiler alert if you see a ladder or a board you are going to need it.

This is basically Uncharted 3 without the acrobatics and with a different, but equally frustrating, combat system. Luckily many of the encounters can be avoided by using stealth, that is until someone decides to turn around for no apparent reason other than you set the games difficulty to hard, once that happens regardless of what critics have said all the enemies indeed know where you are and come en masse, at which point you can shoot them three times in the head, break your melee weapon on them or smash there head into the wall. And even though they have guns that they shoot at you when you kill them you get no gun or ammo because this is a survival game and in survival games I guess reality be damned.

I guess if I want to have fun dragging around a young girl in a zombie infested landscape I will go back to RE4.
  73. Jul 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Okay, this is my first serious review and I would really appreciate if all of you could tell me if you find this review helpful or good at all as I wish to be a game reviewer someday.

Okay, now let me start by saying that this game is by no means a bad game, in fact it's a great one.
    The game-play is great, the graphics are stellar and the story is simply amazing.
    Now you may be asking yourself as to why I'm giving it a 7 out of 10 if I think it's such a great game, the reason behind this is because the control scheme at first is a little more that difficult to get around, R1 to reload while but only when you're not aiming, I seriously had a problem with that.

Another Problem I found is that the Clickers have an instant-kill move, and that's understandable since they're Super-Zombies and such, but it becomes frustrating when you've died 5 times in the same spot because of it, this is especially noticeable on the 'Hard' setting when they become neigh impossible to kill because you don't have a shank or the resources to make any.

Several times throughout the game I found myself having to sneak my way thorough an area full of infected only to find that to get into the next area, I would have to kill them all, this is a big problem in a game with stealth being one of the main focuses, you cannot put an obligatory stealth section in a game and the force the players to turn around and kill all of the enemies they had just sneak past because an object you have to move makes a lot of noise, yet again these sections became annoying because on hard mode, you'll find yourself dying extremely fast.

Yet another downside is that HARD MODE IS TOO HARD!
    Now obviously Hard mode is going to be Hard, I mean, the game-mode says Hard so what were you expecting?
    Anyway, the reason why this is on here is because games are meant to be a fun experience, not a frustrating one, even on hard difficulty you should be able to pass certain parts of the game without having to lower your game-mode because you don't have the resources necessary to pass it on hard mode.

One more problem, the big one, Spoilers wait ahead so if you haven't finished it don't read past this point!

The ending is a mess.
    A big one at that.
    At the end of the game, Joel becomes emotionally invested in Ellie, seeing her as sort of second daughter, and when at the end of the game he is told that to create the vaccine, Ellie would have to die, Joel reacts in a completely immoral way, he kills 3 innocent people, one a doctor, the other two being Nurses who beg for their lives before Joel kills them without batting an eye. Joel takes Ellie, humanities only known chance for a cure and to rebuild humanity to what it once was, Kills a person who wanted to find the cure and help save what's left of humanity and secure it's future of survival, all of that because he sees it as humanity doesn't deserve a second chance, because his daughter was killed at the start of the game and he sees it as the world owing him another daughter.

The ending is an ending that some will hate and some will like, it's all in what you, the player believe is right, I was once asked a question, If you had the chance to save 1 of your family members, all of your friends family members, or 250 random strangers, what would you do?
    Choose your 1 family member, save your friends family, or save 250 random people, for me, I would save the 250 people as I believe that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

In the end it's what you believe is right, Joel believes it's right to save one person and ruin humanities chance of survival, the Fireflies Believe that Humanity deserves a second chance.

In conclusion, there is no real 'good' guy or 'bad' guy in this game, The Military is trying to keep people safe by making them live in areas where there's security, but it's strict and you don't have much free will.

The Fireflies rebel against the Military and smuggle goods so that the can have a chance at making a cure and securing humanities fate.

The Bandits are doing what they can to keep their little communities alive, even if they have to murder others who are just trying to survive.

And Joel is trying to get back what he lost, his Daughter.

Everyone's trying to survive the best way they see fit.

Overall, a great experience with a twist on the 'Zombie' Genre, amazing visuals and great game-play with a little too steep of a difficulty curve.

-Bryton Whitford De Azevedo
  74. Jun 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Story: 6/10
    Decent twists, good story overall, yet at the same time extremely reminicscene of any other zombie outbreak game I've played before. Virus breaks out, people die, post-apocalyptic era. A cure arises, you spend the game trying to deliver the cure (Ellie) to researchers, but a bond develops and you sacrifice the sake of human kind over your emotions

Characters: 8/10
    You'll fall in love with the characters Your main character is a stoic who doesn't talk about the past yet you can tell has a heart of gold and takes time warming up to anyone and in the end just misses his daughter Ellie: Awesome at first, a 14 year old cool as hell girl who yearns for the affection of anyone who will have her and care about her The supporting characters never last long but all have their own attitudes and demeanor that make them all memorable

AI: 5/10
    Falls extremely short here. I didn't play the hardest mode, but in hardmode the game was a cakewalk provided you didn't run headfirst into everything. The human enemies seemed to ignore their comrades dying right in front of them, and every infected in the game could be avoided with a simple brick/bottle Enemies could also be avoided when spotted by simply running away and hiding for 5 seconds

Gameplay: 5/10

The upgrade system is flawed, and gives you seemingly useless upgrades for certain weapons (Increased fire rate on a one shot pistol anyone?). Smoke bombs were also beyond useless in the game The firefight system was no different from any uncharted game, but at the same time Uncharted system isn't bad by any means, but does get redundant.

The game followed a simple pattern, Story Stockup Human Area Infected Area

Was very predictable as what was going to happen, you would spend a half hour searching every place for materials/ammo to be greeted with a all too predictable firefight The game itself was extremely linear, you could either spend ten minutes in an area and stockup on a few bullets, or simply rush to the exit, there was no diverging or backtracking by any means The puzzles were almost non existent, not to say it was supposed to be a puzzle game, but was too easy to spot.

Water area? Find a pallet

No doors? Find a ladder or dumpster to climb on

Locked door? Find a hole Ellie can crawl through
    Yawn.

Also the hardest difficulty is not unlocked at the start, why do games do this? Hard difficulty is a bore, but the Survivor (Hardest) difficulty is tolerable, as you lose the ability to see through walls to spot enemies, which is a core component in earlier difficulties, but since the game as little replayability there is little motivation to play again on survivor

Graphics: 8/10

No complaints, good, decent animations, minor screen tearing to warrant 8

Replayability: 1/10

Hardest difficult isn't available from the start, and since this game is mainly story driven, there is little motivation. You get to unlock skins, big whoop. No new areas, no new enemies, you only get to keep upgrades, which make an easy game even easier. Only motivation is trophies, which are for nerds anyway.

Sound: 6/10

Nothing spectacular as far as soundtrack goes, it has its soppy music for the soppy scenes, but no new great sound effects, but does do pretty good with the infected

Dialogue: 7/10

Awesome dialogue, at first Ellie is awesome with her cursing the world, but soon gets repetitive and monotonous and just plain annoying. The game also features hidden dialogue that is optional depending on whether or not you pay attention to the surrounding characters during scenes, some of which can be very heart-felt.

Consensus: Another great Naughty dog game for PS3 with great graphics characters and story, but the same gameplay as others we've seen. If you've play uncharted you've played this, certainly doesn't live up to hype of all the 10/10 you've seen a million times. Virtually no replayability and all of the trophies are inspired by collectathons. If I wanted to play a collectathon I still have my RARE games on the N64, no thanks.
  75. Jun 17, 2013
    i would compare this game not to watching paint dry, but to actually watching a house being painted. sure, there's action, but it's pretty boring. I feel bad for that guy at Polygon who reviewed this a 7.5 and took all the heat. I was ready to see that guy sacrificed in a volcano pre-release, but now that i've played most of the game, he was right on the money. this is an average toi would compare this game not to watching paint dry, but to actually watching a house being painted. sure, there's action, but it's pretty boring. I feel bad for that guy at Polygon who reviewed this a 7.5 and took all the heat. I was ready to see that guy sacrificed in a volcano pre-release, but now that i've played most of the game, he was right on the money. this is an average to below average shooter masked with amazing production value. Uncharted 2 is one of my favorite games, and this comes across as a slow, boring, neutered version of that concept based entirely around its so-so stealth mechanic. The story is cliche, the characters are mildly developed to put it mildly, and the gameplay mechanics aren't fun enough to keep me entertained moment to moment. If you are a big Survival Horror fan like me and were hoping this game would be the second coming, i would lower your expectations. The game's "survival" tendencies are completely at odds with its own pacing. On one hand, the temptation is to pixel hunt to make sure you have enough supplies, but by doing this, you end up exploring big empty environments and DRAMATICALLY slow down the pace of an already slow game. And what's worse is that I've felt flush with supplies the whole time, ever since i adapted to the game's "bullet allowance". Pixel hunting works in the Silent Hill games (for instance) because they have an overall labyrinth quality: your'e searching for a place to go, which requires finding keys and puzzle pieces. It's all built around the search, and finding a new object is its own reward. The Last of Us just asks you to scrounge for little "scissor emblems" while taking you on rails from one locale to the next. Most of which are very straightforward areas by the way. And when you are suddenly confronted by a large environment in TLOU, it's just stressful. Like: there's no puzzle to solve, there's just dudes to shoot and where the is the next car to crawl on top of and get to the next alley way full of cars. if i sound sour it's because the game has so much potential. Expand
  76. Jun 16, 2013
    Will keep this quick and simple. The first 20 mins are terrific. The father and daughter experiencing the beginning of the outbreak. This is where the story should have started. Not 20 years later. Would have made a much better game having to protect her. Second the graphics are great in some areas and bad in others. AI is dodgy to where stealth doesn't matter. Oh and the boring "gottaWill keep this quick and simple. The first 20 mins are terrific. The father and daughter experiencing the beginning of the outbreak. This is where the story should have started. Not 20 years later. Would have made a much better game having to protect her. Second the graphics are great in some areas and bad in others. AI is dodgy to where stealth doesn't matter. Oh and the boring "gotta take out hoodlums" gets old real fast. It has its ups and downs but definitely didn't like the story. Like I said they should have stuck to the three characters in the beginning. The scores by Gamespot and some others are rational. The others are plainly just kissing ass. Worth a rental. Expand
  77. Jun 19, 2013
    Last of Us is a good game, probably a great game but not a perfect game. I found the support AI to be extremely frustrating especially early on when Tess just opens up gunfire on a room full of other survivors as I was trying to stealthily avoid/kill if necessary, not engage in bloody, dehumanizing gunfights. Which also brings up the nature of killing, how the game totes this aura ofLast of Us is a good game, probably a great game but not a perfect game. I found the support AI to be extremely frustrating especially early on when Tess just opens up gunfire on a room full of other survivors as I was trying to stealthily avoid/kill if necessary, not engage in bloody, dehumanizing gunfights. Which also brings up the nature of killing, how the game totes this aura of realism that intends to make you question whether or not it is a good idea to kill someone, which isn't evident when forced into gun-blazing scenarios where you end up punching rednecks so as to save ammo for the monsters. The concept attempted to be fresh, which I enjoyed but it ultimately came down to a post-apocalyptic zombie-survival scenario where the zombies (which act like zombies) aren't actually zombies, but in all senses still are.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed this game wholly, it felt like I was playing the best Resident Evil game since 4 (which is still one of the best horror games of all time). It didn't strike me as a perfect 10 but it was a well polished, interesting story with great characters but a few gameplay and enemy flaws that would stop me from giving it a higher score.
  78. Jun 26, 2013
    Very good game but way to over rated. Love the characters. Very good graphics also but the gameplay and storyline is meh. Uncharted kicks its ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  79. Jul 16, 2013
    I really appreciate that the game always tries to make you feel like the character you`re currently playing...it takes it`s time to evolve, it wants to make the characters` actions look authentic so you can really relate and feel happines, pain and other emotions just like they do. So I don´t understand why they didnt give you the option to benumb ,,enemies" right ftom the start. ItI really appreciate that the game always tries to make you feel like the character you`re currently playing...it takes it`s time to evolve, it wants to make the characters` actions look authentic so you can really relate and feel happines, pain and other emotions just like they do. So I don´t understand why they didnt give you the option to benumb ,,enemies" right ftom the start. It really took away so much of pleasure to realize again and again you just killed someone who was talking about being afraid his brother or himself could die just a couple moments ago. This seems just grotesque and I really couldnt enjoy the highly emotional story how I wanted to... It really took away so much of my excitement for the game that I really couldnt enjoy it afterwards... Expand
  80. Aug 7, 2013
    A good movie with overall acceptable gameplay, but without going into the depth with its game mechanics. A lot of potential is missed here. It would be 10/10 if it had been a movie, but as a video game it doesn't bring anything interesting or new to the table.

What the game offers: -An immersing 12 hour long campaign with very limited replay value -Overall beautiful but linear level

What the game offers:

-An immersing 12 hour long campaign with very limited replay value
    -Overall beautiful but linear level design
    -A given narrative that doesn't interact with the player at any point in the game and based on that a somewhat disappointing ending

-Stealth mechanics that aren't very rewarding or engaging
    -Relatively simple melee combat mechanics
    -Solid but not very impressive shooting mechanics
    -Options to upgrade several abilities and weapons but most of them appear pointless due to being useless
    -Overall not much variety when it comes to progressing in the game In the end you will be strangling punching most enemies to death anyway or you will avoid it when the level design dictates it

-Overall very good voice acting and sound quality
    -Overall good visuals
    -Overall very good and believable animations

This game is good, but nothing out of the ordinary. It's deserving of a 7 or 8. It's miles away from being the game of the year, though, and it definitely is not the game of the generation. For that all game mechanics are too shallow and the game re-playability is missing. Naughty Dog should have given this project to a movie director, they chose the wrong media format for their story.
  81. Jul 16, 2013
    I was really excited about this game after seeing near universal acclaim. After beating it, the zombie scenes are absolutely terrifying and they combat pretty cool. My complaints on this game are that it's just a linear path where you feel obligated to search every crevice of towns once you get into them. There is some intrigue by doing this but why can't I pick up new guns fromI was really excited about this game after seeing near universal acclaim. After beating it, the zombie scenes are absolutely terrifying and they combat pretty cool. My complaints on this game are that it's just a linear path where you feel obligated to search every crevice of towns once you get into them. There is some intrigue by doing this but why can't I pick up new guns from enemies? I did find the long rifle once but including mechanics like War Z would make the game even more fun. Perhaps I had high expectations on this game but when compared to Far Cry 3, this game isn't nearly as fun or dynamic. Expand
  82. Aug 8, 2014
    Solid writing, well paced story, and impressive visuals make for an entertaining adventure. However repetitive level design, and clunky AI will none the less detract from your experience in The Last of US.
  83. Jul 4, 2013
    It's a very good game. Good narrative, strong plot and spectacular game of actors. Also, gameplay good, too. One thing bad AI of Ellie. Better to delete this character from gameplay, than play so.
  84. Jul 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is so overrated, it's even hard to believe people can't see it. It's just a rather short and mediocre story in a linear shooter.
    Boring "puzzles" of 3 types find a raft for Ellie, find a ladder/crate to climb, find a generator to power stuff up. This is it. And you do it over and over and over, when you are not shooting.
    Shooting in this game is among the least enjoyable I've seen. Console shooting MUST have target assistance, even minor. Red Dead Redemption had it, Infamous had it, Borderlands had it. Their shooting is enjoyable. Last of Us is not. Moments when I had to pull my gun were the most painful experience in this game.
    Stealth could be ok if you were the only character on screen. But when you sit behind cover and see your NPC companion running right in front of enemies and they don't see them... well, let's say, it breaks immersion.
    Characters, aside from main two, are plain and their outcome is very predictable. And as for main ones, once you understand how this game works, you stop caring about main characters you know nothing will happen to them. Creators were too obsessed about not hurting somebody's feelings to add decent amount of violence needed for this game, especially when it comes to Ellie, the underaged character.
    The story was generic, you don't see any plot twists you don't expect. It takes very long time to get interesting, and when it finally starts to seem promising... credits. You see credits. The game ends. I swear, when I saw the final cutscene, I was 100% sure I'm about half done at most. And then bang credits. It was the biggest "WTF?" since Mass Effect 3 in my life.

On a positive note, graphics are good, and I mean really good. It IS the prettiest game on PS3 to date.
    Music is nice as well. Nothing memorable, but it was good.

Overall the game was a disappointment, especially after the high expectations set by all the reviews out there. It was just a pretty shooter with no drama. I've never regretted wasting 60$ on a game that much in my life. Rental at most.

Overrated.
  85. Aug 10, 2013
    i didn't really into the idea to get the developers of Crash Bandicoot to make uncharted but it was a good game i must say this game is just uncharted with zombies and a teen girl. the guns are not that good including the bow which made me sad because i ALWAYS use the bow. i have not got far in the game but the multiplayer is good. i think it needs a 5-10. like this review give it a likei didn't really into the idea to get the developers of Crash Bandicoot to make uncharted but it was a good game i must say this game is just uncharted with zombies and a teen girl. the guns are not that good including the bow which made me sad because i ALWAYS use the bow. i have not got far in the game but the multiplayer is good. i think it needs a 5-10. like this review give it a like and ill see you later Expand
  86. Oct 20, 2013
    In my opinion it only looks great. Story maybe is good but there is nothing new in it, we have seen it hundreds of time in movies about zombies! Also game it self is not very challenging and sometimes even boring. After first finish Im not going to do it again as I wont find anything new.
  87. Apr 29, 2014
    ===========
    ===========
    As in Uncharted, Naughty Dog proves once again with The Last of Us that a game with repetitive gameplay but emotional story and pretty visuals to hide the nature of the gameplay can fool many and get 10/10s for no reason.
  88. Jun 23, 2013
    I had a lukewarm feeling about this game after seeing gameplay videos leading up to the release, but I bought it anyway based on all the glowing reviews. The story is very well done, but the gameplay is just not fun and repetitive. The world seems very believable, but I just wanted to get to the next level for the story alone, not because I was enjoying play it. All in all, an averageI had a lukewarm feeling about this game after seeing gameplay videos leading up to the release, but I bought it anyway based on all the glowing reviews. The story is very well done, but the gameplay is just not fun and repetitive. The world seems very believable, but I just wanted to get to the next level for the story alone, not because I was enjoying play it. All in all, an average game, and I really am mystified by the high user score. I would have expected 8.0 at best. I really loved the Uncharted series and I feel this is a step backwards. Expand
  89. Jun 24, 2013
    The visuals in this game are extremely refined. Top of their class. The gameplay is much less refined. It is essentially a stealth shooter and not a very good one. My immersion in the game was never very deep because the stealth mechanic was so unconvincingly executed. All enemies are either sensitive to line of sight or the sound of YOUR foot steps or gunshots. How the enemy would knowThe visuals in this game are extremely refined. Top of their class. The gameplay is much less refined. It is essentially a stealth shooter and not a very good one. My immersion in the game was never very deep because the stealth mechanic was so unconvincingly executed. All enemies are either sensitive to line of sight or the sound of YOUR foot steps or gunshots. How the enemy would know the difference between the foot steps or gunshots of an ally or an enemy isn't explored, but it is of little consequence as nearly every OTHER sound is ignored. Grunts, stabs, clangs, clinks, your allies talking, whistling or yelling. Hell, the enemies don't even see your allies stumbling at their own feet. Also, enemies have infinite ammo, until they die. Then they rarely drop weapons or ammo, and even more rarely of the type they were using to attack you. The seeing-by-sound system was buggy and sometimes failed to show close enemies or report them in the correct direction. The story could use more development. The focus is on character relationships, but unfortunately I was never convinced to be on the side of the character that I played. I didn't agree with his values or judgement and did not want him to succeed while exhibiting those values. There are NO better looking games from this generation, but there are many better games. Expand
  90. Oct 27, 2014
    It's okay. The AI is pretty terrible, upon a second play through the scripted events remove the enjoyment from the first play through. The character interaction is decent, the music is good, the plot is okay. It's nothing special, but for a Triple-A game it's definitely better than most.
  91. Jul 31, 2013
    I'm probably not that far into the game. I'm only in Lincoln High School trying to fight the first big boss. I can tell this game is going to be one I'll probably finish but already I know it's not the TEN everyone keeps raving about. OK, I'm into the main two characters, I feel the emotional bond growing, that's cool. But the zombie fighting is just frustrating and unrewarding. I finallyI'm probably not that far into the game. I'm only in Lincoln High School trying to fight the first big boss. I can tell this game is going to be one I'll probably finish but already I know it's not the TEN everyone keeps raving about. OK, I'm into the main two characters, I feel the emotional bond growing, that's cool. But the zombie fighting is just frustrating and unrewarding. I finally have a shotgun and thank goodness because the pistols barely even stun anything and your lead pipes break after about eight hits. OK, since when does a lead pipe break precisely after eight hits? It's a lead pipe for crying out loud. You can slam it against concrete a million times and it wouldn't break. And you can't aim your weapons worth crap. This guy, for twenty years, has been surviving the zombie apocalypse and he still can't aim a stupid rifle, waving it all over the place as crazed zombies straight out of 28 Days Later come rushing at him? Really? And even with the shotgun, which you don't need to aim precisely, what does that help when five of them are rushing at you from all angles? So you fight, you die, you start over, you die, you start over, you die, and so forth until you are finally lucky enough to pick them all off not by any real strategy mind you, just because you got a little lucky. The scavenging is pretty boring. The workbenches are so far and few in-between it's pathetic. The crawling through hallways, climbing up ladders, running across planks gets old pretty quickly. And everything is so dark. You have to use your flashlight at least half the time and that actually gets a bit nauseating as if your swirling around on a carnival ride. So, although the graphics are way cool, and the characters are likeable, and the plot is engaging even if it's derivative, there's just too much senseless wandering around, searching for the limited scavenger items available, and extremely frustrating battles with things that will tear your neck out while you're trying to reload your stupid gun or switch guns which takes like ten seconds or heal which takes several seconds and the controls are so complicated it's extremely difficult to remember what buttons you are suppose to be pressing while a swarm of crazed zombies are rushing at you from all sides. This game is good but it does have a lot of flaws. Expand
  92. Jun 17, 2013
    THINGS I LIKED about the game:

*Awesome Graphics *voice acting is top of the line and much better than any other game out. *the idea of choosing to engage in fierce battles or keep it stealthy and quiet is great *the C.G is fantastic and emotional *controls are easy *love the display of post apocalyptic world *story line caught my attention very well THINGS I HATED about the
    THINGS I LIKED about the game:

*Awesome Graphics
    *voice acting is top of the line and much better than any other game out.
    *the C.G is fantastic and emotional
    *controls are easy
    *love the display of post apocalyptic world
    *story line caught my attention very well

THINGS I HATED about the game:

*too linear, no free environments, no free world, no open maps and side jobs.
    *you can not pick up weapons from bodies you just killed
    *if there was 10 enemies and you killed 5 and then got killed, you start the game with the remaining 5 and NOT all 10 enemies, which makes it stupid and easy to overcome obstacles.
    * there isn't a true value of survival. when you die, you start at the nearest checkpoint, which is never far from where you died.. it makes the player kinda careless about dying many times.
    * A.I is dumb, so many times my companions decide to run off on their own while i'm trying to sneak past clickers or hunters and get me exposed.
    *it get repetitious at times and feels you're doing the same stuff over and over.
  93. Oct 22, 2013
    A good game, but probably would've made a better movie...
    Not a lot of detail needs to go into the pros and cons of this one.
    PROS: +The story. The story is at par in my opinion as one of the greatest stories ever told by a video game. +The characters. The main characters are real; they are morally questionable but overall lovable, and the villains are hateful disgusting people who you
    A good game, but probably would've made a better movie...
    Not a lot of detail needs to go into the pros and cons of this one.
    PROS:
    +The characters. The main characters are real; they are morally questionable but overall lovable, and the villains are hateful disgusting people who you wish nothing but ill will upon.
    CONS:
    -Rather predictable; you know who is going to die the second you lay eyes on the poor sucker.
    -Doesn't tell you where to go so you'll be stumbling in the dark for longer than you should.
    -Some points can seem repetitive like a lot of story only games.
  94. Jun 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Last of Us is one of the best movies I've ever seen. It's gritty and heartfelt and perfectly acted and eerily beautiful and all the other stuff all the 10/10 reviews say.

But why is it being sold as a game?? I'm not sure you can call it a game at all.

The one (and only) thing a game can offer, that a movie can't, is choice. It can put you in situations you've never been in before to let you explore your own psychology. It can offer you power, or joy, or terror, with the illusion that you are actually inhabiting, not just watching, a character.

Joel makes the choice of a lifetime in the last act of the game. The entire world is broken. People are dying and suffering. It's not clear whether humanity is looking at an extinction level event. And he can personally fix it all. He can go down as humanity's Messiah. But to do that, he has to sacrifice the person he loves most in the world, the girl who's become a daughter to him. The little girl who loves him and trusts him unconditionally, he has to betray her and sign off on her murder.

If this were a Bioware game or a Bethesda game, we'd be forced to make that agonizing choice. There would be consequences to our decisions; there would be multiple endings; there would be different ways the story could unfold, based on how we shape it.

In The Last of Us, we just watch passively, helplessly, as Joel makes his decision. The game tells us "And then Joel shot the guard in the balls. Here's a hallway full of soldiers. Clear it."

That is not a game. That's like... being in a Skinner Box, where your reward is cutscenes rather than cheese. This is a movie that keeps putting itself on pause and saying "Want to see more? Well, then, go swim underwater and find a pallet and shove it over to Ellie and shove it against the wall!" It's no fun at all to do that, but we dutifully perform the task because we want to see the rest of the movie.

So... why not just make it a movie? Why make a digital Ellen Page in the first place? Was the real one just not available?

Sure, there are Skinner Box sections that are actually kind of fun to clear. The infected are really no fun at all to deal with, but the fights with the hunters, with the cannibals, those are fun. But they're not groundbreaking in any way. As a hybrid stealth/action shooter, I'm going to say that I think Metal Gear Solid 3 plays significantly better. Joel always feels heavy, clumsy, sluggish. Snake's more fun to play with. And MGS3 was nine years ago.

You know, I think that picking the right media for your art is important. If a movie came out in theaters that's just an hour of watching a masterpiece of a painting while an incredible concept album played in the background critics would universally pan it. They'd say "This is a painting and an album. One star."

So why is it that when a game comes out that's actually just a movie, critics respond with universal acclaim?? I don't get it.
  95. Jun 23, 2013
    gamer usually about games having too much story lines, the Last of Us is 100% a good example of this category. It is just a very typical third person shooting adventure game with stupid AI and boring linear settings. It is just overrated. I would give it a 6/10 the MAX.
  96. Jun 18, 2013
    It's the same as Uncharted except no swinging from ledges and no rolling out of the way. Graphics are as good as you'll see on PS3 but stages lack interactivity. Crafting is an interesting addition and translates well into the online multiplayer, which is good but overall it's the same team deathmatch setup you see in nearly every shooter these days.

My main problem is the way the story

My main problem is the way the story is forced on you. You can skip some cutscenes, but it takes four button presses to do so. Some sections require player input but all you do is walk forward slowly and maybe press a button to progress the story. This isn't so bad on your first play through but feels like torture on a second when you know what's going to happen but can't change it.

It's a perfectly playable third person shooter if that's what your looking for. Stealth is handled well I suppose. Human enemy AI impresses with them flanking you intelligently. Shooting is satisfying enough and projectile weapons such as nail bombs are fun.

The Last of Us tries to take on the likes of Resident Evil 4 and Dead Space but comes off third best.
  97. Jun 26, 2013
    This game is a tough game to review. It seemed simple for "professional" reviewers to go and give perfect scores. I can't.

I understand why people like this game. I get the whole emotional angle Naughty Dog is trying to sell. But my experience although good taken as a whole was at times so bad I almost didn't finish the game. Number 1: The combat sucks. It is just a stupid 3rd person

Number 1: The combat sucks. It is just a stupid 3rd person shooter with crafting and RPG elements. Occasionally stealth is involved. There are moments perfectly crafted with great pacing and great balance of gameplay and set pieces. Than there are stupid moments. Teleporting zombies, human enemies that flank you no matter where you are(they go through walls apparently). Sadly these moments are not rare and for every good combat gameplay piece there is a stupidly broken one. Maybe it's just the way I played. I don't know, if you enjoy this type of BS or don't really care you will have a better experience. To me the gameplay feels like a filler between emotional cut scenes and set pieces. And that's bad. Also BOSS FIGTS. For the love of God. BOSS FIGHTS.

Number 2: The story is at best OK. They chose a fungus as the reason for the zombie apocalypse and than they go nowhere with it. Every single character that dies, dies because of zombie bites. You know, that cliché. Where they get bit and they hide it. It happens twice because once was not enough. Also the writing is mind blowing bad. "We've got to get out of here" and it's many variants are used constantly along with all the other cliché lines Hollywood has been using for years. The ending is stupid also but I will not spoil it for you(there really is nothing to spoil).

Number 3: Even with all these game breaking flaws I enjoyed the game enough to finish it. So I gave it a 7/10 because emotional cut scenes aside there's just nothing here. You can just watch the cut scenes on youtube and get the best this game has to offer without the unremarkable gameplay.
  98. Jun 20, 2013
    I bought the game to see what the hype was all about.

CONS: Controls can be a little stiff and can be comparable to Resident Evil games. The controls are not anything like moving Nathan Drake around in the Uncharted series. (also made by Naughty Dog) PROS: Engaging Story, great graphics, and textures. Some scenes are sad and depressing but part of being entertained is having an
    I bought the game to see what the hype was all about.

PROS: Engaging Story, great graphics, and textures. Some scenes are sad and depressing but part of being entertained is having an emotional response. There is interesting dialogue between Joel and Ellie.

Bottom Line: You will keep playing this game because of the story, not because the melee or shooting was fun.
  99. Jun 29, 2013
    Really surprised by the good reception that this game has. It's barely a game, boring repetitive TPS gunplay with familiar enemy design. Those so called survival elements could easily be done in all games by simply limiting recourses in all other games. While they achieve this, they sacrifice all features that make a game fun, side missions, complex and varied levels, dynamic storiesReally surprised by the good reception that this game has. It's barely a game, boring repetitive TPS gunplay with familiar enemy design. Those so called survival elements could easily be done in all games by simply limiting recourses in all other games. While they achieve this, they sacrifice all features that make a game fun, side missions, complex and varied levels, dynamic stories choices, Also, the story is solid but there is no resolution at all in the last 30 mins, it's so predictable and badly done, Clearly preparing for more cash grab story dlcs. The atmosphere is great at times but jaggies and poor texture resolution prevent it to be perfect. However, the game has great animation details in combat, crafting, looting, walking, running etc. Detailed facial animation also helped characters to shine in cutscenes. It also has a functional MP that adds on replayability but I'm not an MP guy so it does little for me. Overall, it's a decent movie stuck in a slightly above average game 7/10 Expand
  100. Sep 27, 2013
    Was top contender for GOTY until gta 5 crushed it's hopes. Just unlucky timing ND. And honestly the story isn't anything new. Father loses his daughter, grows colder, finds another little girl, cold to her at first, grows attached to her, eventually sees her as his own... Basically a polished God of War 3 relationship between Kratos and Pandora. Js
  101. Jun 14, 2013
    For me this is another masterpiece game from Naughty Dog Studio. This time we are living in apocalyptic times which means...if you like walking dead or other zombie/survival movies you will love this game. Graphics are outstanding and characters, as always, absolutely brilliant. The best thing is the "reality" of atmosphere. Usually in apocalyptic games or movies there is an arsenal ofFor me this is another masterpiece game from Naughty Dog Studio. This time we are living in apocalyptic times which means...if you like walking dead or other zombie/survival movies you will love this game. Graphics are outstanding and characters, as always, absolutely brilliant. The best thing is the "reality" of atmosphere. Usually in apocalyptic games or movies there is an arsenal of guns and stuff here you have to think how to survive a battle. That's something new in games.
    If you considering to buy a new ps4 console, you have to play that game. It's definitely one of the best games on this generation.

1. Sep 16, 2013
  2. Sep 10, 2013
  3. Despite the breakneck pace of the prologue, it takes quite a while for The Last of Us to pick up some speed again. However, once the cold harsh winter arrives, the action (and story) ramps up. So much so, it puts most Hollywood productions to shame. [July 2013, p.76]