• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Jun 14, 2013
9.1

1. Jun 16, 2013
    Honestly one of the best games I have ever played in my life. The Last of Us is a step forward for story telling and art in the form of games. A dark, sad, story about survival despite enormous loss that should not be missed by anyone. It's games like this that make me want to shove a controller into someone's hands who thinks of video games as simply something nerdy boys do. This shouldHonestly one of the best games I have ever played in my life. The Last of Us is a step forward for story telling and art in the form of games. A dark, sad, story about survival despite enormous loss that should not be missed by anyone. It's games like this that make me want to shove a controller into someone's hands who thinks of video games as simply something nerdy boys do. This should be experienced by everyone. Expand
  2. Jun 17, 2013
    To Every low score reviewer. 98% of you have nothing to say other than, 'this game is overrated.' You (the reviewers) aren't writing a legitimate review, it's more of a bashing. Some of you seem to write your negative review and somewhere in there write how Bioshock Infinite is a better game...come on, are we really going to take you people seriously. Clearly biased. Besides BioshockTo Every low score reviewer. 98% of you have nothing to say other than, 'this game is overrated.' You (the reviewers) aren't writing a legitimate review, it's more of a bashing. Some of you seem to write your negative review and somewhere in there write how Bioshock Infinite is a better game...come on, are we really going to take you people seriously. Clearly biased. Besides Bioshock infinite has a score of 9.4/8.5 so your argument is invalid. Giving this game a 0 is unnecessary. You clearly have a sour taste in your mouth. A game of this caliber does other deserve a zero. There are FAR worse. Let's just put it this way, your all haters.

-my review in a nutshell-
    Compelling story.
    Great graphics.
    Smooth game play.
    Entertaining Multiplayer.
  3. Jun 15, 2013
    TLOU is the best game I have ever played to date. Never mind about the negative comments which I believe came from users who never played the game. If you are a gamer get this game ASAP.
  4. Jun 14, 2013
    What more is there left to say, the brutal journey that Joel and Ellie go through is something I have never experienced in gaming. If you don't feel any kind of emotion throughout their adventure.. then you are indeed a clicker.
    Z
    No movie can get you so emotionally involved in all the characters you meet along the way. That is why I love Naughty Dogg, that is why I love The Last of
    Z
    That is why I love Naughty Dogg, that is why I love The Last of Us..
    and that is why I love Video Games!
  5. Jun 15, 2013
    "...Even the best video games that have the most consistent worlds haven't been able to match their individual elements in such a way as to give you what Naughty Dog's game can give you..."

Greek Review http://goo.gl/2WUxN
  6. Jun 14, 2013
    This is how a game should be. This is a masterpiece. This is art. Best adventure/horrorgame I played this year. I don't know why evert character in this game touched my heart; non is forgetable. Amazing! The graphic is just mind blow. The story is mind blow. My mind is blown away. I am fasibated in the world created in this game. Love this game. Deserve every cent. Got it on day one. GetThis is how a game should be. This is a masterpiece. This is art. Best adventure/horrorgame I played this year. I don't know why evert character in this game touched my heart; non is forgetable. Amazing! The graphic is just mind blow. The story is mind blow. My mind is blown away. I am fasibated in the world created in this game. Love this game. Deserve every cent. Got it on day one. Get it people. Irs a must have foreach and every PS3 owner and every real gamer who appreciates real games...and art. Oh man its just so cool. So awsome.it deserved a 10 Expand
  7. Jun 17, 2013
    The Last of Us is a marvel of the video game medium. The story is integrated seamlessly into the gameplay, and the mechanics are actually reinforcing unlike many games that try to tell the story of a character who is good on the inside, but then a mass murderer when you take control of them. Joel is a masterfully written character who truthfully displays a moral grey area, while EllieThe Last of Us is a marvel of the video game medium. The story is integrated seamlessly into the gameplay, and the mechanics are actually reinforcing unlike many games that try to tell the story of a character who is good on the inside, but then a mass murderer when you take control of them. Joel is a masterfully written character who truthfully displays a moral grey area, while Ellie represents the last remaining hope of humanity, while still being a deep and likable. The supporting cast also never happens to fall into any cliches or archetypes. The sound design is among the best I've ever heard with impeccable voice acting along with realistic weapon and enemy sounds. Visually the game is equally marvelous with gorgeous graphics and beautiful enviornment design. From a presentation standpoint, The Last of Us is essentially unrivaled and achieves something that most games can only dream of. Enemy encounters are dynamic and engrossing while combat is decisively tense while still reflecting the tone set by the story with it's gritty and intimate encounters, but stealth is king as with limited supplies you must conserve as much as possible, and items are crafted in real time. With every encounter, you have to really think about what you want to do and how you want to do it. Do you want to flank a guy out then go and strangle him, or do you want to take a more guns blazing approach? This is just one of the many scenarios you will face. Exploration is both encouraged and rewarding in The Last of Us due to the interesting collectables, items needed for crafting, and various upgrades spread through out. Sprinkled through out the game there are also adventure elements such as retrieving ladders or making makeshift bridges to get you around your environment. The Last of Us doesn't do anything particularly new or innovative, but does everything it sets out to with flying colors. Overall the gameplay sets yet another milestone in what it means to survive in a video game and is mechanically amazing. There is also a multiplayer aspect to the game which adds a good bit to the overall package. The multiplayer tells a small story of its own while keeping the same tense and stealthy gameplay of the singleplayer, and for that The Last of Us should be applauded.

Although it may seem by that I have nothing negative to say about the game by now, but that is a false notion as I don't believe that The Last of Us is a flawless game. In a package so pretty, even the smallest blemish sticks out sorely. Here and there, texture pop in occurs and shadows may look terrible which brings down the overall presentation slightly. Companion AI is also not perfect as sometimes while sneaking your companions may walk directly into an enemy's line of sight, or make a very loud noise and still not alert an enemy. The only other thing that may be a problem is the chase scenes. In this game, I feel as if chase sequences where you are expected to run from an enemy or horde of enemies go against many of the mechanics that are more heavily established. I personally feel as if I may have missed some of the collectables due to sections of the game where I had absolutely no choice but to run as I did not get to go and explore some of the areas that the enemies appeared from. If I truthfully did mis some collectables due to scenes like this, then I believe that is a problem with game design.

Even with these few and somewhat nitpicky negative points, The Last of Us is still an amazing game and in my opinion one of the greatest games to ever be made. It marks a great leap forward for videogame presentation as a whole while also being extraordinarily enjoyable and rewarding to play.
  8. Jun 15, 2013
    Dark, gritty, tense, some small things that make this THE GAME OF THE GENERATION! Not for the faint of heart. Some scenes really dig deep with the human fear to die, and really make you think about it.
  9. Jun 15, 2013
    A perfect combination of story, characters and atmosphere. This game speaks for itself. This is not just a game its an art. An unprecedented masterpiece in gaming industry to date.
  10. Jun 15, 2013
    The Last of Us, a survival game with an amazing story, soundtrack, and characters. The gameplay is also very nice (the limited amount of ammo, adds a survival feeling to it). Multiplayer is great as well, but to me thats just icing on the cake. The story is where this game really shines.
  11. Jun 17, 2013
    This game will make you care about the characters, and you won't forget the story anytime soon. The fact that it is interactive makes you even more immersed in the experience than a movie ever would. I won't spoil it but it is the greatest story gaming has ever told.
    The gameplay is fresh and undeniably exciting, stealth is key, it isn't a ADHD shoot em up', and you won't be able to play it that way. The whole game has sense a suspense over it, you really don't know what will happen and you fear for the characters lives. The mood music helps this cause.
    I finished it awhile ago and i still can't stop thinking about, this game will literally make you believe there you are in an apocalypse.
    Naughty Dog has proven themselves as the best developer and the best teller of stories in gaming. The game is the by far the best of this generation, no other game comes close to touching it.
  12. Jun 16, 2013
    Great Game! The story is amazing and so is the gameplay! The multiplayer isn't as fun as the singleplayer but it's still a great addition to the game and will keep you busy for a while. The visuals are also the best you can find on current gen consoles. It would be nice if the AI reacted faster as you can sneak infront of them if you're quick. Still this is one of the best games I haveGreat Game! The story is amazing and so is the gameplay! The multiplayer isn't as fun as the singleplayer but it's still a great addition to the game and will keep you busy for a while. The visuals are also the best you can find on current gen consoles. It would be nice if the AI reacted faster as you can sneak infront of them if you're quick. Still this is one of the best games I have ever played and is a must buy for any playstation user! Expand
  13. Jun 16, 2013
    I bought The Last of Us: Survival Edition, and I have to say that I am really impressed, and really satisfied with what my money has bought me. The contents of the package exceeded all my expectations.

As for the game, incredible. Being a fan of Naughty Dog since their early development days, I have noticed they continue to shine by creating amazing works of art, and this game is at the top of the list. The story, cinematic's, modeling, texturing and game play overall is astounding. Being a 3d modeler, I can definitely appreciate the work that went into this. Completely blew my mind.
  14. Jun 17, 2013
    This is definitely a contender for Game of the Year, never have I cried in a video game... until now. The Last of Us is a brilliant story that evokes emotion like an Oscar winning film. Spanning approximately fifteen hours of singleplayer story; the game never got dull. Gameplay mechanics involve scavenging and crafting items in the post-apocalyptic world, and combating human and mutantThis is definitely a contender for Game of the Year, never have I cried in a video game... until now. The Last of Us is a brilliant story that evokes emotion like an Oscar winning film. Spanning approximately fifteen hours of singleplayer story; the game never got dull. Gameplay mechanics involve scavenging and crafting items in the post-apocalyptic world, and combating human and mutant enemies. Visually... this is the best looking game on PS3 that I've ever played, and the music (although minimal) compliments it perfectly.

But where this game shines... is the characters, Joel and Ellie feel like real people who must embark on a mission against incredible odds, meeting other well-realized characters along the way (I'm staying vague so I don't spoil anything.)
  15. Jun 25, 2013
    SPOILER FREE If you don't own a PS3 i would buy one just for this game alone its the best game this generation has to offer. The graphics a superb beyond anything i have seen so far on PS3 the story is gripping and intense it really draws you in from start to finish, the characters are believable and the voice acting is amazing a lot of hard work has gone into this game and you can tell.SPOILER FREE If you don't own a PS3 i would buy one just for this game alone its the best game this generation has to offer. The graphics a superb beyond anything i have seen so far on PS3 the story is gripping and intense it really draws you in from start to finish, the characters are believable and the voice acting is amazing a lot of hard work has gone into this game and you can tell. The only thing i can find pick fault at is the girl Ellie that accompany's you through the whole game can block the way for you if your wanting to go through a door or up stairs est. Also the multi-player isn't bad but the single player is big and long enough so the multi-player doesn't really matter. All in all The Last Of Us is a great game i just hope its not The Last we hear of them. Expand
  16. Jun 17, 2013
    WOW! WOW! WOW! I can just keep saying this because that's what this game is... it's WOW! I cannot stop playing this game. I am already thinking of playing it again, and I'm not even done with it! Just simply amazing!
  17. Jun 17, 2013
    Anyone who rates this under 9 hasn't played through. it starts slow but all in all it is 1/2 Uncharted, 1/2 Resident Evil. With a good story to boot. That CAN'T be bad!
  18. Jun 14, 2013
    The story was soooooo good it got me off my seat. The visuals and details are spot on I could spend hours looking around. The voice acting was awesome. This is one of my contenders for game of the year by far. Good job naughty dog another masterpiece
  19. Jun 14, 2013
    Of of the best games available on the Playstation 3. The story withing The Last of Us is absolutely amazing, you get a real sense of what the characters are going through and feel the tension through every area. The voice acting is fantastic as is expected. Naughty Dog really have created a wonderfully unique game that is going to be hard to beat in the running for game of the year. OtherOf of the best games available on the Playstation 3. The story withing The Last of Us is absolutely amazing, you get a real sense of what the characters are going through and feel the tension through every area. The voice acting is fantastic as is expected. Naughty Dog really have created a wonderfully unique game that is going to be hard to beat in the running for game of the year. Other reviews criticize the slow pace of the game but this all adds to the atmosphere and tension within the game. I don't think everyone can appreciate the excellence that is within this game but judging by most of the user reviews and critic reviews most of us can agree that this game is truly amazing. Expand
  20. Jun 16, 2013
    As a gamer for many years and across multiple platforms, I simply cannot fault this game. The graphics, story, tension and excitement from this game is simply the best. Naughty Dog have cemented the standards we should expect from developers and The Last of Us is simple the greatest game of this generation. Buy this game and you will not be disappointed. 10/10 in every aspect.
  21. Jun 18, 2013
    Lovely game and will be a contender for game of the year for sure, The Last of Us is not exactly about the story but the journey for the main characters, Joel and Ellie. The story has quite a few twists and turns and the combat is really well done. Don't expect an indepth fighting system or gunplay as that's not what this game is about. The combat is well done but there's not much there inLovely game and will be a contender for game of the year for sure, The Last of Us is not exactly about the story but the journey for the main characters, Joel and Ellie. The story has quite a few twists and turns and the combat is really well done. Don't expect an indepth fighting system or gunplay as that's not what this game is about. The combat is well done but there's not much there in the first place, which is good as that leaves them more time to focus on the journey of the characters. The development of both Joel and Ellie is very well done and the characters you meet up with on the way are excellently crafted and, when they eventually leave, they will get you to remember their presence for the rest of the game. This game is very dark and depressing. Don't go into it thinking things will go well for Joel and Ellie because nothing goes well for them. You will definitely love the game but know that you won't feel happy at the end of it. It lasts for about 12 hours and you'll definitely remember the whole thing. Highly recommend it and I highly recommend playing on the hardest difficulty and sticking with it. Expand
  22. Jun 15, 2013
    There is nothing really more that I can say about this game other than this is the decades finest. From the beautiful overgrown cities and the dark corridors and amazing character models this game looks stunning. The games length is surprising I finished my walkthrough in 10hrs 35mins which is good I normally complete games quickly and can still see and do everything I completed BioshockThere is nothing really more that I can say about this game other than this is the decades finest. From the beautiful overgrown cities and the dark corridors and amazing character models this game looks stunning. The games length is surprising I finished my walkthrough in 10hrs 35mins which is good I normally complete games quickly and can still see and do everything I completed Bioshock infinte in 7hrs 40mins to give you a rough idea, I thought it was going to be shorter just because of the past games Naughty Dog has delivered like Uncharted. From start to finish it really does not disappoint so it was a nice surprise that the story keeps on going. The cast of characters are nicely varied, brining in there own experiences and problems along the way with superb voice acting through out. The sound throughout this game is superb its suttle but only comes in when needed you will spend most of your time listening to birds, wind, tree branches crackle and the sound of Ellie whistling but its to create a atmosphere that works in every situation but I recommend playing with headphones. No matter what difficulty you play on you will find yourself fearing for your life and scavenging the environment for pick ups, it makes exploration in The Last of Us more entertaining, strategic and more of a realistic approach. The stealth and combat are of a more brutal and realistic nature making fighting an enemy all more worth while it really does make you fight for your life.The AI is smart and will flank and will go to your last known position if moved, the only criticism i had was that some of the AI just stand and look at nothing but it takes nothing out of the experience. Animation in this game is the best I have ever seen from the faces to ducking behind cover and shielding Ellie its makes conveying an emotion in this game so clear. No matter what type of gamer you are sport, shooter or platformer you will love The Last of Us this is Naughty Dog at its peak and for people that are giving the game below a 9 don't listen to them because Naughty Dog should really be applauded at the masterpiece this legendary games company has made. A easy 10/10 It really just shows Naughty Dog is the best games company out there and Sony exclusives are the best on the current market, I recommend buying it as this will be a game to be talked about in years to come. Expand
  23. Jun 15, 2013
    Okay, currently this game is rivalling Uncharted 2 and MGS4 for the best game of this gen.

This game is not afraid to KICK YOU IN THE BALLS, over and over and over again. You'll know what I mean once you play it. The paralyzing opening sequence is one of the best of all time. This game is also the first game ever to be genuinely SCARY. It's the only time in any game (or movie because

This game is also the first game ever to be genuinely SCARY. It's the only time in any game (or movie because horror movies suck these days and are predictable) that I've actually felt fear. The dark areas with clickers will make your heart pound constantly.

And the jaw-dropping artistic visuals, expert voice acting, and insanely detailed animations are the best on consoles ever.

The multiplayer, too, gives the same experience as the story, due to its brilliant design. It feels extremely tense, and sometimes scary too, with so many video-worthy moments per match. Think of a survival-themed SOCOM. Yeah it's almost that tactical.

If you're reading this review, it means you're not playing the game. So get back to playing it!

IN NAUGHTY GOD WE TRUST

Also, who are these poor jealous pathetic xbox teenagers coming here to rage and give this game a zero for a save bug that could be fixed by restarting the system and no progress was lost. (and the bug itself was fixed within hours of the game's release)
  24. Jun 19, 2013
    i had just finished this game and i have say this... this game is epic mind blowing character design is awesome chemistry between Joel and Ellie cool cinematic cut screen epic way capture the emotion action all of plants type zombie where really cool the gun fight between other survivor and bandits where not to bad my personally favorite was Ellie she love to swear a lot lol

to see

to see drama go thru this horror apocalyptic setting was intense and really capture the thrill
    i give this game 10 out of 10
  25. Jun 15, 2013
    A masterpiece! What I look for in a game is how well I am immersed. This game is completely gripping. Its long there is no follow me markers on the characters and it seamlessly blends realism and fiction. Just Incredibly well done. Did I mention how gorgeous the graphics are?
  26. Jun 14, 2013
    Para empezar era de ver que la pagina Quarter to Three le daba puntaje bajo, porque esto no es un Zen Pinball! y para todos los que les gusten los shooter no compren The Last of Us, por que esto no lo es! Es un excelente juego realizado, por su en foque, de dos personas totalmente distintas, tratando de sobrevivir! a música de Gustavo Santaolalla es tremenda mente genial! los gráficosPara empezar era de ver que la pagina Quarter to Three le daba puntaje bajo, porque esto no es un Zen Pinball! y para todos los que les gusten los shooter no compren The Last of Us, por que esto no lo es! Es un excelente juego realizado, por su en foque, de dos personas totalmente distintas, tratando de sobrevivir! a música de Gustavo Santaolalla es tremenda mente genial! los gráficos son realmente geniales, el entorno, la atmósfera que transmite el juego es genial! al que le gusta ir con paciencia y no corriendo y matando, este es tu juego para jugarlo muchas horas! Ojo a mi me gusta jugar flippers! Expand
  27. Jun 25, 2013
    A beautiful and emotional piece of art. A magical world that is completed by amazing characters. All items are brought to perfection, is one of the more important games in the history of the computer game.
  28. Jun 15, 2013
    I haven't finished yet but I can assure this game is one of the best experiences I had in my gamer live. It's like when you see Rapture fo the very first time, or when you summon your first Aeon in Final Fantasy X... i have no words to express that feeling about being in front something really bigger than you. But I have to say this sensations just keeps repeating over and over almostI haven't finished yet but I can assure this game is one of the best experiences I had in my gamer live. It's like when you see Rapture fo the very first time, or when you summon your first Aeon in Final Fantasy X... i have no words to express that feeling about being in front something really bigger than you. But I have to say this sensations just keeps repeating over and over almost every time an event occur in this game... Also the characters, even the secondary ones, are absolutely memorable and you can feel they are truly alive with their fears and motivations. The atmosphere is absolutely phenomenal with all those plants growing trough the city concrete, the dak zones where you need your torch (which finally it's of unlimited use). The game punishes you so hard if you play trigger happy or if you take damage relying on the health packs that you will realize how easy are the vast majority of the games we actually play. If you are looking for an Uncharted type of game with its one-liners, grenades, assault rifles,regenerative health bars... just forget it. If you want to live a different really hardcore experience with scarce checkpoints just buy the game, select the hard difficulty and let the game drive you to the best experience in gaming i had in years. Expand
  29. Jun 14, 2013
    Probably the most emotive and engaging game I have played in years. The shooting mechanics and repetitive combat are the only reasons this doesn't get a 10
  30. Jun 14, 2013
    this is the best game i have played in awhile and its better than bioshock threes story and that was very good. the graphics and the character facial expressions are amazing. the gameplay is fun u have multiple ways to approach killing humans and infected which causes u to change the way u approch the humans and infected. somebody spoiled the ending for me and i still am enjoying everythis is the best game i have played in awhile and its better than bioshock threes story and that was very good. the graphics and the character facial expressions are amazing. the gameplay is fun u have multiple ways to approach killing humans and infected which causes u to change the way u approch the humans and infected. somebody spoiled the ending for me and i still am enjoying every min i play. this game is a must buy Expand
  31. Jun 15, 2013
    Im giving this game a 10 out of 10, wish I could give it more. This game is a mixture of amazing voice acting, stunning visuals, great graphics,immersive AND believe world, realistic and attaching characters, and some solid and smooth stealth gameplay. Overall this game is right down my alley in terms of what I like, story driven game, post-apocalyptic world, AMAZING soundtrack. Masterpiece.
  32. Jun 17, 2013
    As much as the game's presentation is fantastic, I can't help but escape the feeling that for most of the game, I'm playing a film. This screams great things for the graphics, level design and voice acting, however not being in the action can make the game feel slow and, at times, there is no real urgency to press on. On top of this, the game's difficulty appears to increase dramaticallyAs much as the game's presentation is fantastic, I can't help but escape the feeling that for most of the game, I'm playing a film. This screams great things for the graphics, level design and voice acting, however not being in the action can make the game feel slow and, at times, there is no real urgency to press on. On top of this, the game's difficulty appears to increase dramatically in the first few hours of the story; after complaining about one Clicker accompanied by three or four Runners (not because I thought it was too much, Clickers just require an element of tactical play), I was shortly presented with a situation in which I was expected to fend off upwards of three Clickers. Dying in what is effectively one hit can be frustrating, although it becomes quite rewarding when you achieve what you set out to in situations dealing with the infected.
    The Last of Us is without a doubt the best looking console game to have existed, and the immersive gameplay does well to keep you interested in the story. I cannot comment on the multiplayer as I have not yet tried it, however I have heard good things about it.
  33. Jun 14, 2013
    Started playing this game today and thus far, it is a great game. The story got me hooked within the first few minutes. The graphics is top notch and I love the multiplayer.
  34. Aug 20, 2013
    I have played this game three times so far and I am not bored or tired of it. The story and the characters keep bringing me back for more. The game, itself, is visually beautiful; the landscapes of nature and the decay of man's civilization are captured perfectly. The Game Play is easy to master. The collectibles add depth to the characters and the story, as well as give you newI have played this game three times so far and I am not bored or tired of it. The story and the characters keep bringing me back for more. The game, itself, is visually beautiful; the landscapes of nature and the decay of man's civilization are captured perfectly. The Game Play is easy to master. The collectibles add depth to the characters and the story, as well as give you new abilities in combat. Overall this game is almost without flaws. Get this game, submerge yourself in its world, explore the world and characters that naughty dog have created for us. Amazing. Expand
  35. Jun 14, 2013
    This game has that come-back-for-more effect on the player. Naughty Dog has once again delivered on a fantastic game that's both mature and thought-provoking. All of its elements work to a synergistic masterpiece. Tiny details in the game's presentation also breathe life to the already believable world. Do yourself a favor and let The Last of Us immerse you in a world full of wonder,This game has that come-back-for-more effect on the player. Naughty Dog has once again delivered on a fantastic game that's both mature and thought-provoking. All of its elements work to a synergistic masterpiece. Tiny details in the game's presentation also breathe life to the already believable world. Do yourself a favor and let The Last of Us immerse you in a world full of wonder, danger, and everything else in between. Let's just hope that this isn't the last of The Last of Us! Expand
  36. Jun 14, 2013
    One of the few AAA games that doesn't presume you're a moron. It takes a bit to really get an idea of what the game is all about. It slowly builds momentum, then after a few hours you kinda feel like you're on a runaway train. Gameplay is very open, you can pretty much tackle every situation as you see fit. Fighting the human Ai isn't too hard, but the Clickers are very difficult. EitherOne of the few AAA games that doesn't presume you're a moron. It takes a bit to really get an idea of what the game is all about. It slowly builds momentum, then after a few hours you kinda feel like you're on a runaway train. Gameplay is very open, you can pretty much tackle every situation as you see fit. Fighting the human Ai isn't too hard, but the Clickers are very difficult. Either way, the stealth aspect is very rewarding. It's excellent, no doubt. Easy GOTY candidate. Expand
  37. Jun 19, 2013
    OMG its been like sooo long since i have played a true survival horror game with great story and great characters its just the game of my dreams an absolute masterpiece 10/10 and one of the best gaming experience ever made you have to play this amazing game what are you waiting for go right now and buy it
  38. Jul 11, 2013
    Naughty Dog has taken their years of experience dating back to Crash Bandicoot, through Rachet and Clank, Resistence and Uncharted to create their masterpiece, The Last Of Us (Us United States? sure, why not). Although not as revolutionary as games like LA Noire or Heavy Rain, The Last Of Us takes what has worked in the past, the visual tracking of Batman, the multi choice strategy ofNaughty Dog has taken their years of experience dating back to Crash Bandicoot, through Rachet and Clank, Resistence and Uncharted to create their masterpiece, The Last Of Us (Us United States? sure, why not). Although not as revolutionary as games like LA Noire or Heavy Rain, The Last Of Us takes what has worked in the past, the visual tracking of Batman, the multi choice strategy of Uncharted, the ease of weapon maintenence from R & C and Resistence, and has refined them to create as damn close to a perfect game as I've played. Following Dead Island and the Walking Dead games, the idea of another "zombie" game sounded stale. But it's the execution that makes all the difference. When engaged in combat, the situations change, so its not just running errands and killing waves of enemies. At one instance, you may be holding off a pack of zombies in a siege type situation. Next you may be sharpshooting enemies to protect your partners. Mostly you be sneaking around, stealthily killing and/or setting up traps. The graphics and atmosphere (changing with the seasons, nice touch) are spot on, and the acting is among the best. I've played it through once, and halfway through now, and it remains an enjoyable gaming experience. Expand
  39. ERB
    Jul 28, 2013
    The Last Of Us is a good game and an interesting story.
  40. Jun 14, 2013
    The game was just UNBELIEVABLE!!! and from being a long time fan of naughty dog from its beggining when it first made the crash bandicoot series, this game was a big step up for several reasons.
    1. It was naughty dog's first rated M game.
    1. It was naughty dog's first rated M game.
    2.They made the to attract older audiences with a darker theme, more realistic violence, and more action packed scenes and gameplay aswell as offering difficulty levels. Personally, i am very proud of naughty dog (as i am a big fan aswell). I could also tell they took their time and really focused on the detais of the settings and characters and wanted to make you feel as if you were experiencing this yourself.

And if you were a big fan like me and have owned all the naughty dog games you can agree with me that they have changed from fun, happy and cheerful games like crash bandicoot and jak and daxter series.
    In the future, I hope naughty dog continues to produce great games and stay as an exclusive company producing games only for the playstation.
  41. Jun 14, 2013
    Great! Great post-apocalyptic storyline, great graphics, gorgeous sound, a real hardcore gameplay. Along with GTA 5 and Beyond 2 souls home game of the year. And as always pikashniki sosnooley
  42. Jun 16, 2013
    To address most people's fears first, yes things are linear, but it doesn't feel that way. Why? Because everything is beautiful, every piece of broken furniture, glass, tipped car, downed pole, corroded trash can, etc feels like it was placed to make the world feel real, even in the dead ends. The places you do go don't feel like those Scooby Do cels, where the 6 coins that Shaggy willTo address most people's fears first, yes things are linear, but it doesn't feel that way. Why? Because everything is beautiful, every piece of broken furniture, glass, tipped car, downed pole, corroded trash can, etc feels like it was placed to make the world feel real, even in the dead ends. The places you do go don't feel like those Scooby Do cels, where the 6 coins that Shaggy will burst out of from the pile of money that fell on him are brightly colored elements on an otherwise void and dull backdrop setpiece. Everything feels real. Sure, the world is rife with 'chest high cover' but given the theme, setting, and wonderful object population it doesn't feel like Gears of War where caves just happened to slowly build up stalagmites in perfectly staggered military style cover; it's like I would go into a shop and almost want to say "wow, this stool and this tilted vending machine and these shelves would be here and totally look like this!"

The combat is tough and visceral, and the unique approach to stealth (batman sonar aside) in a freaking zombie game mixed with scavenging and survival aspect is done about as well as one can imagine. While the "boss" battle I fought seemed slightly out of place, the rest of the combat has been stellar. Stragglers, military, and zombies all require different tactics, act and react differently, and have astoundingly fierce A.I. Plus there's something of a rush when you realize you have no "grenades" or ammo as a mob of zombies are barreling at you and you realize your only option is to make a molotov on the fly screaming "Oh god come on please faster jesus."

Oh and the characters, god I could go on for hours. Suffice to say this is the best voice acting I have ever, ever heard. Combined with the absurdly detailed and and well, you know Naughty Dog's priorities lay in making you feel like everything is truly real, and make you invested in everything that happens. Each character I have run into so far aside from one early on feels like a unique, multidimensional person that really lives in the setting the game is in, that has been through some scarring crap, and acts as I would expect. They aren't one dimensional caricatures that exist to move the plot along while Hero McBada** takes the spotlight at all times, they aren't husks of a few cobbled personality traits to act as foils or compliments to the protagonists (I don't say good guys, because this game blows away clearly defined lines of heroism in favor of real, true people). I don't feel like I'm just interacting with people just to move from A to B and get through the plot, I feel like I want to meet them all and help them or fight them and interact with them and the plot is there to simply give me a direction in which to travel this absurdly well built world. I... yeah, hours.

I won't write a book about this one but the pacing is also wonderful (after the first hour, after the best prologue in video game history the game goes full stop and spends an hour going from 0 to 5, then ramps to 60 in about thirty minutes).

This game is the nearest thing to a perfect single player adventure I have ever experienced, and I have played a LOT of games.

If you own a PS3 but not this game, do yourself a favor and buy it, or at least rent it. Just do it. If you don't own a PS3, borrow one. I feel like anyone who can give this game a bad review never made it through the first hour, has no soul/feels, or was expecting Left 4 Dead 3 and is mad that there are characters and plot in his or her gore porn.
  43. Jun 14, 2013
    Questo gioco e fantastico!Non ho mai provato emozioni cosi in un videogame!La trama e a livelli superlativi complice un'atmosfera e una recitazione stratosferica che ti fanno vivere in prima persona l'avventura di joel e co. Per non parlare della grafica la migliora mai vista su console a livelli da pc!
  44. Jun 16, 2013
    Naughty Dog, famous for Crash Bandicoot and Uncharted have entried new ground with The Last of Us, this is complete different compared to their other earlier games. The plot is that a type of virus have made a lot of people infected and they've turned into absurd creatures which are like zombies. There are not that many survivors and all former rules and laws have stopped existing. EveryNaughty Dog, famous for Crash Bandicoot and Uncharted have entried new ground with The Last of Us, this is complete different compared to their other earlier games. The plot is that a type of virus have made a lot of people infected and they've turned into absurd creatures which are like zombies. There are not that many survivors and all former rules and laws have stopped existing. Every day is a fight for survival. One man that definitely knows this is the main-character Joel, he doesn't hesitate a second when comes to killing people to survive.
    After not long at all in the game he meets a girl named Ellie who is very special. After that a dangerous journey begins where Joel and Ellie have to fight for their lives.

The Last of Us has the most wonderful acting and the storytelling is nothing else than superb! Joel and Ellie. This is what makes it one of the finest and best games within its genre. The game looks amazing too, in my opinion it has the best graphics on the Ps3.

The gameplay is great as well. Since it's about survival you don't have that much ammo and your health is not regenerating. This makes the game really interesting since you can't just run into bunch of guys. You basically need to come up with a plan before entering the fight and make a decision whether to kill the guys/ infected with your gun or take them out silently.

But as i've already mentioned the best about this game is the storytelling and the conversations between Joel and Ellie are so good, it almost feels like you're in the game yourself. The acting of the characters is also very realistic.
    With this game Naughty Dog has shown that they're one of the best game-developers in the world and they've set a new standard for game within this genre.

The Last of Us is the best game i've played in a long time and it's arguably the prettiest game on Ps3. A must have if your into these kind of games and have a Ps3.

Have in mind though that it's really violent so if you don't like blood splashing on the screen this isn't for you. Otherwise... Buy It!

45. Jun 14, 2013
    Perfection this game is awesome omg, must buy, recommended to anyone 17+, only suitable for the mature crowd, but what a ride. I simply dont understand the nay sayers, but as with anything there will be haters
  46. Jun 15, 2013
    This games is amazing! The game is by no means perfect, but it stands up there with the best. The voice acting and sound effects are superb and graphically its fantastic. Some of the people complaining about them, are you serious! Did you get to see some of the sights later in the game? Naughty Dog has improved almost everything that was slightly off with the uncharted series (all amazingThis games is amazing! The game is by no means perfect, but it stands up there with the best. The voice acting and sound effects are superb and graphically its fantastic. Some of the people complaining about them, are you serious! Did you get to see some of the sights later in the game? Naughty Dog has improved almost everything that was slightly off with the uncharted series (all amazing games) and made this one of this generations best games. Expand
  47. Jun 15, 2013
    15 hours in this game i dont know why people talkin about graphics,graphics are insane legendary gameplay ,great conversation it is a masterpiece.
  48. Jun 15, 2013
    Fantastic, story-driven experience right from the start. Naughty Dog strikes again with compelling and deep characters that force you to care about them. A truly remarkable gaming achievement with memorable moments throughout. Not next-gen level graphics, but about as good as I've seen in my seven years with PS3... Go pick this one up...
  49. Jun 15, 2013
    One of the best games of all the generations. Innovative. Amazing. What I dont get is how people that cant play the game is so obseesed with lowering the socre. Some people just enter to put a 0 and lower the score. Some other just enter to put a yellow mark to lower the score and they lie saying that it is OVERRATED. come on! that`s pathetic. Those are the same who give remember me FOROne of the best games of all the generations. Innovative. Amazing. What I dont get is how people that cant play the game is so obseesed with lowering the socre. Some people just enter to put a 0 and lower the score. Some other just enter to put a yellow mark to lower the score and they lie saying that it is OVERRATED. come on! that`s pathetic. Those are the same who give remember me FOR XBOX pay attention to that detail.. a 10/10 masterpiece mark. Yeah.. How realible is their criteria huh? I can do nothing but laugh at their stupidity The game is a masterpiece simply as that. The ones who are real gamer will enjoy it. The ones who started playing this generation will eventually get bored since they doo not know nothing about videogamjes. I actually readone guy saying 10 minutes in cover because of the licer.. that is not fun at all'' Here`s your answer You suck at playing real video games.. Go and play Halo or COD or another generic shooter like fast food for the moroons with bitter taste :P ...

Wann keep fighting lowering the socre? Bring it on.. I`lll raise it till heaven.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  50. Jul 5, 2013
    I know that most people are judging the game by it's story, and I could only judge it by that, i would give the game 100/10. Now, here are categories and my opinions and scores. Story: 10000000/10. Gameplay: 10/10. Atmosphere: 10/10. Graphics: 10/10. Amount of glitches/bugs I encountered: 4. Plus, the AI is pretty dumb at times. Overall, 9.9/10. One of the best games I've ever played.
  51. Jun 16, 2013
    The zero ratings are quite obviously indicative of Xbox fans looking to hate on a ps 3 winner. While not everyone may love this game......0 out of 10.....come on. I haven't even played the game yet, but would venture to guess that my 10 rating is as accurate as the 0 received by the many who are merely looking to bring the games overall rating down in a biased fashion.
  52. Jun 16, 2013
    I have been a fan of Naughty Dog's games ever since Jak and Daxter came out for the PS2 back in 2001. This made my expectations very high for The Last of Us, and I have to say it did not let me down. The game is near perfect on almost every level. The graphics are the best the PS3 has to offer; Or any current GEN console as a matter of fact. The gameplay is solid and gritty and keeps youI have been a fan of Naughty Dog's games ever since Jak and Daxter came out for the PS2 back in 2001. This made my expectations very high for The Last of Us, and I have to say it did not let me down. The game is near perfect on almost every level. The graphics are the best the PS3 has to offer; Or any current GEN console as a matter of fact. The gameplay is solid and gritty and keeps you on the edge of the seat the whole time. The first 15 minutes of The Last of Us are so engaging and make you emotionally attached to characters within a matter of minutes. Throughout The Last of Us you will be fighting two types of Enemies humans and infected with your AI companion Ellie. Ellie is not your typical AI getting in your way while trying to fight enemies. She is a character that you grow to care for and provides help in battles. The Last of Us is graphically stunning and in some moments will have me stop and stare at my surrounding environments. The story takes you to several environments and will make it hard to put the controller down. The story is divided by seasons and each section changes and adds new aspects to the game. The only thing bad I have to say about this game is that sometimes AI will run around a clicker and not get noticed, but if I crawl slowly around it'll get me killed. This in no way ruins the game, it is still an amazing experience. Anyone who gives this game a negative review is a Microsoft fan boy that is mad because the Xbox One got overshadowed by the PS4. While this game is not for everyone because of it strong violence it's still can be appreciated because of it's fantastic story telling and graphics that make the game so immersive. If you have even thought about picking up The Last of Us, go do it now! It is an experience that cannot be found anywhere else in gaming and Is safe to say that it's my GOTY. Expand
  53. Jun 16, 2013
    The Last of Us is the only game I've ever played where I've truly felt like one wrong misstep or one missed bullet could cost me my life. Naughty Dog truly achieved creating a perfect survival game from scavenging houses for a couple bullets to get you through the next encounter to searching frantically for wraps and alcohol to create a health kit to patch yourself up from the previousThe Last of Us is the only game I've ever played where I've truly felt like one wrong misstep or one missed bullet could cost me my life. Naughty Dog truly achieved creating a perfect survival game from scavenging houses for a couple bullets to get you through the next encounter to searching frantically for wraps and alcohol to create a health kit to patch yourself up from the previous encounter. But while I could rant all day about the level of perfection that Naughty Dog achieved with the game play, I also should touch on the story. Anyone who's played Naughty Dog's previous installments of the Uncharted series knows that the developer can piece together a fantastic, weaving story that can be at times heart wrenching. Somehow, they exceeded all of the already high expectations that I had set for the story of this game. From losing loved ones to exacting revenge, this game covers every emotion known to man during a whirlwind of a 14 hour campaign that you will want to come back to. The final thing to touch on is the multi-player that I can't quite find myself capable of putting down. Each human encounter in an online match is formed not just as a fight for your life, but also a fight for the survival of your unseen clan that you are gathering food, supplies and medicine for. There is the standard perk system that everyone has come to know and love since Call of Duty and also a weapon upgrade system that makes you find a squared balance between your capabilities to sneak or fight.

In summation, this game deserves every individual point on the 10 system scale that I've assigned to it. If you own a PlayStation 3, buy this game. If you do not own a PlayStation 3, then go to your local game shop to buy one along with a copy of this game.
  54. Jun 16, 2013
    The Last of Us is a masterpiece. You can expect an inconceivable amount of polish, and a complete package. The graphics are better than anything else on PlayStation 3. The soundtrack is ominous, meaningful, and highly orchestrated. Few entertainment experiences can keep you so engaged. Above all, they story rivals many award winning films. (I recommend watching No Country For Old MenThe Last of Us is a masterpiece. You can expect an inconceivable amount of polish, and a complete package. The graphics are better than anything else on PlayStation 3. The soundtrack is ominous, meaningful, and highly orchestrated. Few entertainment experiences can keep you so engaged. Above all, they story rivals many award winning films. (I recommend watching No Country For Old Men before playing this, because of the similarities.)

Even if you aren't a gamer, you have to experience The Last of Us.
  55. Jun 16, 2013
    Very dark, brutal, and visceral game. The depiction of the last surviving humans after a apocalyptic/extinction event, has never been shown better in a video game. After completing the game, and looking back at everything that took place, I kind of understand not only the main characters but the actions taken by everyone in the game. Gameplay is fairly simplistic and perhaps a littleVery dark, brutal, and visceral game. The depiction of the last surviving humans after a apocalyptic/extinction event, has never been shown better in a video game. After completing the game, and looking back at everything that took place, I kind of understand not only the main characters but the actions taken by everyone in the game. Gameplay is fairly simplistic and perhaps a little repetitive for some, and is the only reason its not getting a 10, However the game excels with the voice performances and writing. Expand
  56. Jun 18, 2013
    The last of us is simple mind blowing, the story it tells and the way it tells it, along with the fluint gameplay makes this debatable the best game within the past 5 years, even better than telltales walking dead, 2k's bioshock infinite, better than ubisofts AC II. This is something you must own, theres no words to explain how good it is, honestly ive only come to find 1 glitch throughoutThe last of us is simple mind blowing, the story it tells and the way it tells it, along with the fluint gameplay makes this debatable the best game within the past 5 years, even better than telltales walking dead, 2k's bioshock infinite, better than ubisofts AC II. This is something you must own, theres no words to explain how good it is, honestly ive only come to find 1 glitch throughout the whole game and all it was was ellie going through me and that was once. It has only the most mior glitch it has great multiplayer that doesnt lag at all, it has the greatest campaign of all time. Expand
  57. Jul 10, 2013
    Solid game, but it is very overrated. There is no variation at all, you enter a room and there's either zombies or humans. That is the whole game. Not to mention that the AI is absolutely terrible. I played on hard and they still didn't see me from clear spots. The story is recycled too, I mean, zombies are everywhere, yay.
  58. Jun 18, 2013
    Oh, man, I haven't played such incredible game in years. The Last of Us isn't only about gaming or even entertainment. It is the complete package of rich and unique experience through the medium of gaming. I was always sceptical about the art of video games because of the vast majority of games having sh**ty storytelling, characters and terrible atmosphere. But, Naught Dog, you are justOh, man, I haven't played such incredible game in years. The Last of Us isn't only about gaming or even entertainment. It is the complete package of rich and unique experience through the medium of gaming. I was always sceptical about the art of video games because of the vast majority of games having sh**ty storytelling, characters and terrible atmosphere. But, Naught Dog, you are just rolling down all my face to prove that I was so wrong about it. Hats off to you all day! Expand
  59. Jun 18, 2013
    Easily my favorite game...ever. There really isn't much else to say except that the journey "The Last of Us" takes you on is epic and heartwarming. Simply just a stunning accomplishment by the team at Naughty Dog. Oh...and did I mention the game is gorgeous!
  60. Jul 11, 2013
    The intro got me instantly. The characters are so awesome right from the start. Then I feared the developers may have just made a good intro to impress people... but after a short time the characters and the story evolved in a way that was absolutely intriguing.
    The setting isn't actually that complicated or innovative... but it's executed perfectly. The protagonist's character development and background story are amazing. Way better than what I've seen in some films lately. Great stuff!
  61. Jul 13, 2013
    Simply the best game I have played in over 25 years of gaming. This game is the complete package, story to rival any hollywood blockbuster, action to rival the best of 3rd person shooters.
  62. Jul 14, 2013
    Start of review
    ============ This game is one of the crown jewels of PlayStation 3, and in the PlayStation-franchise. Quite frankly, I believe it to be the greatest game I have ever played, and I have played some good games, such as BioShock and so on. Let's break down why it is so amazing, in my honest opinion, shall we? Wouldn't want to seem like giving opinions
    Start of review
    ============

Let's break down why it is so amazing, in my honest opinion, shall we? Wouldn't want to seem like giving opinions without reasoning. Alright.

Game analysis
    ================

Story: Most likely in the Top 3 of all-time game stories. I don't know that many story-based games, but it indeed equals games such as The Walking Dead (Telltale) in terms of story. It is up to the player that whether you prefer The Last of Us or TWD. Crucial plot points are certain to make you at least have wet eyes, if not shed tears at least in the first time you are playing.

Characters: Greatest characters of any games I have played. The journey they go through, make you immersed of it. Especially certain optional conversations, dialogue, and the actions Ellie makes just make you want to protect her. Even if she was only a video game character. You can't be annoyed of Ellie, unless you have a specific reason to hate teenage girls. Because of that, plot points can sometimes even shock/mesmerize you, which hasn't occurred to me in any game before.

Also the side characters you encounter during the game, make you feel like they actually were not side characters at all. They are just so well done.

Gameplay: Hmh. This is a topic many people consider to be the weak link of The Last of Us. I think it is alright. Sure, there are bugs that can interfere with the immersion, but those bugs were practically non-existent for me. Unless you're trying to have the game bashed any means necessary, you will be entertained by the game mechanics.

AI: This is something people are also curious about. And now, let me explain. The reason Friendly AI is not visible to enemies, is that you would be annoyed how you are seen for silly AI actions. It was a Naughty Dog decision to implement it invisible, because of the reason said earlier. Sure, they could make/have made it visible to enemies, but then everyone would be enraged on how they're seen due to companions.

Stealth AI is pretty good. Seeing a Metal Gear Solid-veteran say in a site that it was good even on his scale, I guess that it's alright when it's not bugged. Combat AI is probably one of the best in there, likely surpassing games like Far Cry 3 or Arkham City. But that is just my opinion.

Graphics: So, some people have claimed the graphics are not as good as in e.g. Uncharted 2-3? Perhaps. But there is a reason the graphics can be slightly downgraded because everything is supposed to be left without care for 20 years. Just like from BioShock to BioShock 2, BioShock 2 had slightly more decayed/corrupted feel to it for a reason.

Overall: The game is immersive, story is top-notch and probably one of the best of generation, graphics are so good that some of the older PS3's have been reported to crash sometimes, characters and their development are most likely the best in PS3 and the entire current-gen.

If you like post-apocalyptic survival (horror horror in brackets because horror feel isn't that often there) games with one of the best and fun characters of gaming as your Friendly AI companion, I suggest you get this game.
    The bug reports you may have encountered do not happen that often, never happened to me and some of friends telling they have not experienced major game-breaking bugs either.

Awards and such
    Expectation for Spike VGA Game of the Year
    Expectation for multiple GOTY Awards from different sites
    Expectation for Character of the Year for Ellie
    Personal award for Best Game of Generation
    Personal award for Best Game of PlayStation Exclusives in entirety
  63. Jul 10, 2013
    One of the best games Ive ever played, up there with the likes of Metal Gear Solid 1,3,4 Shadow Of The Colossus, Okami, Resident Evil 4 and Uncharted 2. Naughty Dog devs dont mess around and they really take their job very serious, everything about this game excels in production value.

A very touching story that kept me caring for the 2 main characters, I really was able to feel what they were going thru, the immersion on this game is phenomenal, thanks to the state of the art graphics, motion capture, art direction, gameplay mechanics and story driven run through a post apocalyptic US.

The visceral action although very violent, never over the top, perfectly balance as it should be in the real world, without dragging it too much into reality. You really feel the tension with each encounter. The tension doesnt stop there of course, the fact that you really have to preserve ammo and make every shot count is and awesome game design decision. It forces you to explore, and really use strategic approaches to every situation, do you take down every one using stealth, do you avoid the confrontation and sneak past them, or do you go gun blazing. Either way you choose you will have to play smart and keep all your weapons loaded at all times, a split second can really mean the difference between dying or surviving.

So much more to say about this game, but I would have to write a 10 page essay for that, in short The Last Of Us is a game we only get once every generation, the quality of the story, gameplay and graphics are superb, if youre a fan of stealth, action, survival, story driven games, this is the one for you.
  64. Jul 29, 2013
    From my perspective, and in my opinion, this is one of the best paced games ever produced. Every level has meaning and makes sense in why you are doing what you are doing. Every character has depth and emotion. Every minute of gameplay is engrossing and enjoyable. In all an unforgettable game.
  65. Jun 15, 2013
    The Last of Us is a masterpiece. The story is heartwarming and the characters are incredible. Troy Baker and Ashley Johnson are amazing in The Last of Us. The gameplay gives you some amazing AI with intense combat, cool crafting elements and freedom, most areas let you explore to (in most cases) a great extend which will help make the game last longer (which I clocked in 14+ hours on myThe Last of Us is a masterpiece. The story is heartwarming and the characters are incredible. Troy Baker and Ashley Johnson are amazing in The Last of Us. The gameplay gives you some amazing AI with intense combat, cool crafting elements and freedom, most areas let you explore to (in most cases) a great extend which will help make the game last longer (which I clocked in 14+ hours on my first run on hard). The graphics and environments are beautiful and just a sight to look at (and that's not even considering how old the hardware is). The metal system from Uncharted 1 and 2 have returned in the form of 'tags' which extend your replay value as well as many collectibles and hard trophies. You also have the 'survivor' difficulty to handle and lots of cool goodies to play with (like a Jak & Daxter T-shirt for Ellie). There was one point near the end of the game that showed just how powerful the story is that just really touched me so deeply, it was that moment I said I don't care about the minor glitches with the AI, I' am giving this game a 10 out of 10... My first 10/10 (with me giving Uncharted 2 a 9.9)! I have not yet played the multiplayer of the game, but regardless of how good or bad it could be, The Last of Us is the one video game you must absolutely play in your lifetime.

66. Jun 16, 2013
    A great game and naughty dog always seems to bring something new to gameplay making slight adjustments without risking too much and it worked. I noticed most people complained about the AI but seriously what game has perfect AI? Its got amazing singleplayer but thats not just all it also has multiplayer for people who like to compete. I think the story was byfar the best naughty dog hasA great game and naughty dog always seems to bring something new to gameplay making slight adjustments without risking too much and it worked. I noticed most people complained about the AI but seriously what game has perfect AI? Its got amazing singleplayer but thats not just all it also has multiplayer for people who like to compete. I think the story was byfar the best naughty dog has ever done and i was so emotionally attached to this game i didn't ever want it to end. Expand
  67. Jul 30, 2013
    Great game and great storytelling. The gameplay has a few flaws and it feels very predictable, but for the genre, it was a fantastic interpretation and worth the time spent.
  68. Jun 18, 2013
    From the time this game starts to when it ends, The Last Of Us is truly a breathtaking experience. Naughty Dog has managed to craft a game that truly resonates with the players through an emotional story and perfectly developed characters. I've used a lot to big words to describe this game so far,, but what really makes this game truly special is the amount of detail and love that NaughtyFrom the time this game starts to when it ends, The Last Of Us is truly a breathtaking experience. Naughty Dog has managed to craft a game that truly resonates with the players through an emotional story and perfectly developed characters. I've used a lot to big words to describe this game so far,, but what really makes this game truly special is the amount of detail and love that Naughty Dog put into this game. You can tell that they put every ounce of blood, sweat, and tears into this game, and it shines through the incredibly smooth engine utilized by TLOU. I've intentionally left this review spoiler free, so if you want to know more specifics feel free to look online, but by all thats holy BUY THIS GAME. Expand
  69. Jun 15, 2013
    After a ridiculously long download time that set me back by an entire day, I finally played the game, and I'm at 46% completion (according to my save file).

I really like it, the slow movement actually works well with the pacing and seem very realistic. the characters are great, and the environments make sense. It's has some very classic survival horror elements (dark, claustrophobic

It's has some very classic survival horror elements (dark, claustrophobic areas, enemies that respond to different things (some sight, some sound). It works very well.

As for the downsides, they're mostly minor, I wish there was a wider array of melee options, large melee weapons are either 2x4's, baseball bats, or pipes, though you can attach blades to them later for a single use instant-kill).

The small melee weapons, are either bottles, or bricks... which might be my biggest gripe... why can't I use a big rock? or hell, I can use bat, why not the baseball? Hit someone in the face with a baseball, and you can do some serious damage...

The only bug I've come across was one time during a tough fight, The enemy got hung up on a railing that was below me, but still within striking distance, it basically allowed him to punch me to death, while I was unable to hit back or break loose, but that only happened the once.'

Overall, a GREAT game
  70. Jun 28, 2013
    UNBIASED REVIEW HERE --
    (unlike the other rare hateful posts here)
    UNBIASED REVIEW HERE --
    (unlike the other rare hateful posts here)

This game was spectacular. I have not play The Walking Dead, but from what I've heard the two are very similar in the ways they present their story. After saying that, play this game on hard if you want the true survival feel which I believe this game needs to truly make an impact on the player. I normally don't get immersed in too many games' stories, but by playing this game on hard I found it really threw me into the game's atmosphere.

Story: 10
    Yes the story progresses slowly at first, it doesn't throw you into the action like a Call of Duty or Resident Evil game and that is a very good thing. This does not mean that the game's story is slow throughout, because it is not. The games story progresses at the perfect pace for a game such as this. The attachment you feel to the characters is perfect, and that is all I can say without dropping spoilers, but there are numerous times where you really feel for the characters.

Environment: 10
    The world of The Last of Us is almost a character of itself. The city sort of reclaiming itself after humanity has been removed is beautifully done. The game does not throw you into endless dark rooms with scary lighting just to impose forced horror elements, it actually presents a beautiful city that has its dark moments areas. When you talk through parts of the city and you see hints of civilization that used to be there, it really hits home that this is a post apocalyptic type environment. The city is beautiful amid all of the chaos and destruction.

Combat: 9
    The only reason I'm giving the combat a 9 and not a 10, is because at some points you feel as though you are going through the motions of eliminating the infected as you would normally eliminate them. I can't even provide a way for them to improve upon it, it just felt like it was missing something and I can't put my finger on what that would be.

Soundtrack: 10
    The minimalistic soundtrack to this game with the subtle guitar riffs was absolutely perfect. There isn't really much else I can say about it, because its just perfect.

Graphics: 9
    Yes, this game's graphics are good for PS3 standards. However while playing the game it becomes relatively evident that the PS3 is coming up on being six and a half years old. That is not saying the engine is bad, the lighting is phenomenal, the game engine is great, but there are times where the graphics have some odd noticeable outdated issues. Maybe its because this game came out after E3 and all the new flashy graphics games coming out.

In conclusion, I was honestly not a huge fan of the Uncharted series because it really just felt like Tomb Raider with more combat so I'm not jumping on the Naughty Dog bandwagon here. Capcom went on record saying the survival horror franchise was a dying game concept. Coming from an avid player of the survival horror franchise games, this game redefined the survival horror experience in an entirely new light for me and sort of says "your move capcom".
  71. Jun 25, 2013
    One of the most moving and evocative games in memory. They break through a lot of clichés that plague gaming, and do so with a raw, gritty, unforgiving storyline. The game is carried by Ellie, and Joel simply serves as a conduit for the unique action and atmosphere of the game. Beautiful, simply put.
  72. Jun 16, 2013
    Absolute perfection. I didn't think a game would beat Bioshock Infinite this year, but I just completed the game that did. This game had everything, and everything was perfect. The most emotional intro to a game I've ever played. The best character/player involvement, and the best emotional ride I've ever experienced from a video game. It will take a long time for this game to beAbsolute perfection. I didn't think a game would beat Bioshock Infinite this year, but I just completed the game that did. This game had everything, and everything was perfect. The most emotional intro to a game I've ever played. The best character/player involvement, and the best emotional ride I've ever experienced from a video game. It will take a long time for this game to be dethroned. Right now I have to say it. "Best. Game. Ever! Expand
  73. Jun 16, 2013
    Masterful. Environments are beautiful. Game play is deep. The characters are ones that you actually care for. And the story one of the best in gaming. The ending is truly amazing. You must play this game. It might not be for everyone, but if you've got no problems with some freaky mutated zombies, then play this game.
  74. Jun 15, 2013
    Start this game on Hard mode. It's the right amount of difficulty to make the game enjoyable. This review comes from the perspective of someone who paid no attention to hype. I have to say that it's fun and immersive. I was afraid of cheesiness from the acting and script but i find the story to be good and the characters to be likable. I admire the pacing. Although it is kind of sequentialStart this game on Hard mode. It's the right amount of difficulty to make the game enjoyable. This review comes from the perspective of someone who paid no attention to hype. I have to say that it's fun and immersive. I was afraid of cheesiness from the acting and script but i find the story to be good and the characters to be likable. I admire the pacing. Although it is kind of sequential ie. battle..traverse the land..encounter next battle etc. The game manages to keep the experience fresh throughout by putting you in different situations that are tense and challenging. I have died a lot and have had to take a breath to re-think my way through certain areas. The rules are inflexible throughout and it's hard to cut corners in battle. The rules are simple but deep enough to make it fun all around. I admire the way it stays fresh when applying this rule-set to the different curveballs these situations throw at you. Combat is generally simple, but it's how the game feels when executing your commands that give these mechanics weight. Punching is pressing the square button, but if you punch a dude too early, or from the wrong angle or distance, he can catch you slipping and it's painful to get punished! The animations are dynamic and realistic. The physics make it so all of the damage taken or given is intense and satisfying. There is always a weight to the execution of your actions. Aiming and reloading is tense because the reticle isn't steady and reloading takes time. Here's a tip: Always try to aim, keep the thumb on that left stick and maneuver it the whole time the enemy is in your sights. Also If you're reloading you can still run using the L2 button. The game is brutal in a fitting manner. There is a lot of creativity at work to the tiniest details. The way things react when you blast them with a shotgun, or punching an enemy in the face 4 times hard and they knock over and die! Even the way it feels when a dude whacks you with a lead pipe and you collapse to the floor and die. A lot of "oooohhh daamn!" type of comments coming through our mouths. Too many other details to write about! Everything is cohesive in this world. The different enemy types are no push-overs aside from the start of the game when the AI isn't as clever. After you warm up to to the mechanics, the game will no longer hold your hand. The game is as fun to watch as it is to play. If you have a group of buddies, take turns and have some beers. You'll cheer each other on trying to get through the difficult parts. My friends and i have been yelling and laughing and having a really good time with this game! Definitely play it if you can! I give this a 9.7. I really dont know what could be improved mechanically but there are some graphical glitches here and there. No biggie. I feel like a can keep writing but I'll stop here. Just Play it Expand
  75. Jun 16, 2013
    Hard to play it might be at most times, this game really captures what a survivor feels like. You always have to be on your foot on your supplies and come with the best survival strategy. This game is just amazing.
  76. Jun 14, 2013
    I cant really say much about this game other than buy it and enjoy one of 2013's best games. This game is amazing. I really enjoy this game.
  77. Jun 18, 2013
    Stellar graphics, Great Story, Awesome Gameplay. This game takes you on a rollercoaster of emotions, so don't even think about missing it. It is honestly like playing a movie.
  78. GFC
    Jun 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Before I start this review I will just say I haven't come close to beating this game yet. I have made it to around when you meet Bill for the first time. Well anyways the story so far. It starts off as you playing as Joel's daughter. She woke up from a phone call then went off to find her dad. After an explosion her dad comes in the house. That is where you encounter your first zombie. You get a vehicle with Tommy? He wasn't in the game to much so far so sorry if I got the name wrong. After some retards getting in your way Joel"s daughter gets shot starting off the game From that moment on you know this will be a very sad story. 20 years later Joel is in a little apartment were a girl who seems to be friends with Joel shows up. I forgot her name as well so lets call her Plot Point. The two of them want to kill some guy who stole their guns. After some serious ass kicking Joel and Plot Point find out he sold the guns to the Fireflies. Then out of nowhere the leader of the fireflies shows up. She tells the they have to smuggle something to get their guns back. It turns out the thing they are smuggling is a girl named Ellie. So then Joel and Plot point take Ellie and they proceed to smuggle her. After some luck it turns put Ellie was bitten three weeks ago. When bitten it takes up to 2 days to turn. So Ellie explains to them she might be the cure. After going to the main Firefly place it turns out they just left. that is where it turns out Plot Point was bitten. She wasn't in the game very much and didn't have much character progession so I wasn't sad from her death. I feel like most other characters aren't developed enough so I wonder why even bring them in? After that the plot just kind of goes on.

As for the gameplay it is pure survival horror. There are three enemy types. Infected, Clickers and people. All these enemies feel natural because none of them are overpowered. Humans because they think logically and its easy to shoot them. Infected because they are stupid. And then there are clickers who are interesting. If I clicker gets to you, you are dead. But their downfall is they are blind and they see through sounds much like bats. When ever there is an enemy I feel a rush, Also this game is very stealth based. Since it stays true to survival horror ammo is rare. There are many ways to kill your enemies and I like that.

Some finishing thoughts:

This game looks FANTASTIC! I have never seen a game more beautiful. Also the voice acting is great. It brings the characters to life.

I was going to give this game and 8 from silly things in the story and from under developed characters but Joel and Ellie easily gives this game a 9/10

-GFC
  79. Jun 18, 2013
    Absolutely brilliant! If you have a PS3, get this game. Some people may get turned off by the brutality of the combat and the style of gameplay, as it is unlike anything before it, but give it a chance and you wont regret it.
  80. Jun 25, 2013
    the last of us is a stunning game every gameplay is like the cutscene the characters are awesome joel is like a protective father but didn't want to show his feelings ellie is a survival girl who trying to bond his feelings with joel it's an awesome game BEST NAUGHTY DOG GAME FOR YEARS
  81. Jun 15, 2013
    2 words: the story. This is probably the single best storyline I'very ever experienced in a videogame. The story is without a doubt what makes this game great. The character depth is unparalleled... the voice acting is full of emotion. It just works. And then there's the visuals. Say what you like, but there aren't any console games who's graphics and overall atmosphere can surpass The2 words: the story. This is probably the single best storyline I'very ever experienced in a videogame. The story is without a doubt what makes this game great. The character depth is unparalleled... the voice acting is full of emotion. It just works. And then there's the visuals. Say what you like, but there aren't any console games who's graphics and overall atmosphere can surpass The Last of Us. And finally the gameplay... it's realistic. Personally, I thoroughly enjoy the desperation of it allnand how challenging it can be. If you don't like it, I suppose I can understand why, its Nothing shockingly new. For me though, the depth of this story and the polished feel of the game cannot be anything less than a 9.5/10 Expand
  82. Jun 15, 2013
    Unbeliveable beginning Then they shock me again. Only played for about 3 hours and I'm already impressed. Very brutal, and I love it, Bet you see this on the news that its why the whole world is killing. But we know better. Just buy the game you won't regret it.
  83. Jun 16, 2013
    This game is the reason why i game. It isn't particularly "fun" but it isn't trying to be. This game is a thrilling and captivating experience. It is really emotional and immerse. The amount of polish that went into this is clearly visible and brings the world to life in ways you can't imagine. Whether its Joel putting pressure on a recently acquired wound of him bandaging his arm toThis game is the reason why i game. It isn't particularly "fun" but it isn't trying to be. This game is a thrilling and captivating experience. It is really emotional and immerse. The amount of polish that went into this is clearly visible and brings the world to life in ways you can't imagine. Whether its Joel putting pressure on a recently acquired wound of him bandaging his arm to regain health, there are very detailed and realistic animations throughout the game. The story is fantastic and the prologue sets the tone for the amazing tale. Shooting and overall gameplay is raw, brutal, and exciting. One of the top three games i have ever played. Only on Playstation. Expand
  84. Jun 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Juegazo, aunque la sensación de estar jugando a una mezcla de Uncharted con Enslaved no se me quita de la cabeza. Aunque realmente no tenga nada que ver en la jugabilidad (el sigilo es vital aquí, y los recursos limitadísimos) sí que es cierto que se parece a ambos juegos. Expand
  85. Jun 19, 2013
    this game has a excellent scene and very good sound and gameplay and the best graphic i have ever seen. i think Naughty Dog makes the best games in all over the over
  86. Jun 16, 2013
    The last of us won't make you discovers new things or a revolutionary gameplay. The game picks the best from every genre and makes it great.

The graphics are great and put Uncharted 3 in the abyss. But it's not the look when you see the character's facial expressions you really think they are human. The voice cast is a wonder and the musics add this senses of sadness you'll feel all along the game

The best part for me is the story. This game makes you feel something as you grow attached to Joel and Ellie. The secondaries char's are not just simple adds they have an important place. Rarely a game scenario was this good and well written.

MEGA SPOILER DON'T READ IT !!!

At the you wonder if really the humanity is worth saving and what is the price we are ready to pay for it
  87. Jun 16, 2013
    Perfect. Gameplay, multiplayer, graphics, story all 10/10.
    Perfect. Gameplay, multiplayer, graphics, story all 10/10.
    Even though the PS3's at the end of its lifetime, the graphical capabilities still surprises me. With the PS4 'round the corner, The Last of Us will make that wait much easier... Combat's perfect, scavenge what you can and build what you need before your next battle against the mushroom-headed infected. I have never been so indulged into a world, story and lore since The Elder Scrolls (which is a major achievement for a long time TES fan). Multiplayer isn't the shine of this game, nor is it Naughty Dog's main aim; but it doesn't feel like an afterthought cannot say too much, but it uses a few mechanics from the story mode over to MP, like building items. Sound astounds me. Puts me on the edge of my seat at all times. Clickers are scary, strong and gives the game an eerie atmosphere. I won't ramble on anymore, just buy it!. Certainly game of the year for me. This is not 'Uncharted with guns' for all them critics, and does not get boring.
  88. Jun 16, 2013
    I´m gonna´ be honest, i don´t own the game, haven´t played it because i don´t own a PlayStation 3, so i decided to watch just a small part of the game on YouTube, just the prologue specifically.
    But after watching the prologue my curiosity asked me to watched more and more, and wouldn't´t stop watching the videos, it was like a marathon of your favorite TV show (series) and it really felt like one.
    I mean the characters, not only the main, but all of them had this special meaning in the story, anyways the protagonist where the ones that surpassed my thoughts, the character development, the emotional link and relation between Joel and Ellie was so good and convincing. The plot, storytelling was magnificent, to the point that i was like "Why is this not a movie or something?".
    I really felt like i was inside the story, and keep in mind i was just watching the play-through on YouTube, imagine if i was actually playing the game, i cared about the characters that almost dropped tears.
    And that´s not all, but the feeling they putted in the scenery, the beauty of the landscapes plus the soft guitar music in the background, they really knew the mood of the situation.
    If you want to hear good music and think of the taken decision just wait till´ the credits are gone.
    Best game ever. 1000/10, i´m not overrating, i just explained why i liked it so much, but remember, i watched through YouTube, so the experience you will get while playing it must be AMAZING.
  89. Jun 16, 2013
    I've just created an account to give an honest review of this game, I felt the need to spread the love and praise of this game. It truly IS the masterpiece everyone is telling you it is. I picked it up day one and have since gotten through my first of many playthroughs. The story is drama perfection. It feels completely organic never hammed up or forced upon you. The subtlety is the trueI've just created an account to give an honest review of this game, I felt the need to spread the love and praise of this game. It truly IS the masterpiece everyone is telling you it is. I picked it up day one and have since gotten through my first of many playthroughs. The story is drama perfection. It feels completely organic never hammed up or forced upon you. The subtlety is the true beauty of this game the way the environments lighting and dialogue convey tension, emotion and the gravity of the situation. I was literally jumping at my Tv when I feared for the characters lives. The gameplay is simple survival. Every shot counts, stealth is king and taking no prisoners leaving no one to come after you all hammer home the direness that the world has fallen into, where every moment may be cut short by infected or a lead pipe across the face. Naughty Dog does not glamorize violence, or collecting ladders to climb. It is a love-note to realism in video games. Everywhere You go tells a story if You're observant enough to read them nothing is in vain nothing is pointless filler. Everything has purpose everything means something. Switching direction to address not anything about the game but people reviewing it.

Whatever faults others have found that i've read in other reviews critic and user are, to put it bluntly untrue. I suspect they nit-picked the game to death to rebel against the generally incredible praise. For whatever morbid satisfaction having a different opinion from anyone else would hold. A few of the things I've read are downright lies. I.e. a user reviewer attacked the A.i. saying your companions would make too much noise screwing him over. Which is funny because enemies don't even register your companions when You're sneaking. Which is a little odd because You can have ellie basically cuddling a hunter. But I cannot count this against the game because having to sneak about and account for an A.I. You have no control over would botch several areas of the game directly or indirectly... back on topic. I've read that the graphics aren't that great.(****) or the voice acting is so-so(****) or the story is mediocre(****) This game from a technical perspective is a masterpiece. the voice acting WILL make you tear up once or twice. you WILL care about these characters unless you have a heart of stone. And the story WILL grip you. The world will immerse You and the enemies will terrify you. Enemy A.i. is competent and cunning to boot. Infected have human hearts and minds deep inside of them and are horrifying to just sit unnoticed and observe them jerk and twitch about sobbing, mumbling, trying to form words............ I should end this review now, but I could easily go on forever. In closing the last of us is magnificent poignant subtle beautiful and immersive, easily the best exclusive and best game of this generation.
  90. Jun 16, 2013
    Definitely one of the most gut-wrenchingly awesome games I've ever played, right next to Half-Life, and BioShock. I knew going in that this game was going to be special, what with IGN gushing about it for weeks. But I never expected how grabbing and immersing this game is. I didn't cry at any point, in case you're wondering, but I certainly felt I was going to at many points where I foundDefinitely one of the most gut-wrenchingly awesome games I've ever played, right next to Half-Life, and BioShock. I knew going in that this game was going to be special, what with IGN gushing about it for weeks. But I never expected how grabbing and immersing this game is. I didn't cry at any point, in case you're wondering, but I certainly felt I was going to at many points where I found myself floored by a well-written and gut-wrenching story moment.

Great voice acting, graphics, music, sound effects, animations, character design, even the gameplay which still freaks me out a little bit. Anyone who gives this game less than a 9 either hasn't played through to the end or hasn't played at all, or they simply didn't get it. Best game of 2013, either this or BioShock Infinite so far.
  91. Jun 16, 2013
    Few times have I been so on edge and so focused on a game and its storyline. The Last of Us is EXCEPTIONAL in its presentation. The acting (voice and animation) is of award-winning quality, and the story is one of the deepest and most touching I have ever experienced in a video game. The game isn’t easy, and the gameplay can be frustrating every now and then, but it’s worth it.
  92. Jun 16, 2013
    I have no idea why this game has so many bad reviews, I believe this is game of the year, the story is amazing, the graphics are good too, and the gameplay is unbelievable. This game brings you through so many emotions, it has a little bit of every thing to it. It's scary, it's funny, it's violent, it's tense, the list keeps going on and on. The immersion levels are just spectacular, fromI have no idea why this game has so many bad reviews, I believe this is game of the year, the story is amazing, the graphics are good too, and the gameplay is unbelievable. This game brings you through so many emotions, it has a little bit of every thing to it. It's scary, it's funny, it's violent, it's tense, the list keeps going on and on. The immersion levels are just spectacular, from characters animations, to the detail in notes you can find scattered across the world. The multiplayer is interesting, it's fun but also needs strategy to win. All in all, this game truly deserves a 10/10. Expand
  93. Nov 26, 2013
    This is one of my all time favorite games, such a flawless game probally naughty dogs best game yet. Hopefully they will continue this franchise on the ps4.
  94. Jun 18, 2013
    Amazing game, Naughty Dog really captures the essence of survival with this game, its tense and full of emotion.
    Presentation: The presentation of the game is outstanding. It's voice actors do a tremendous job, graphics are over par and Naughty Dog always seem to create such cinematic games. 10/10 for presentation
    Story: The game has an amazing story, with a sufficient amount of twists

Story: The game has an amazing story, with a sufficient amount of twists and turns to keep me playing for hours. Its story has a good length. 10/10 for story

Gameplay: The game play in this game surprised me a bit, i went into the game feeling that the combat would take away from the amazing story, but i was mistaken. The combat carries out the tense vibe with gory, brutal kills. the shooting mechanics show similarities with the Uncharted series, however have little differences that make the game so much better. The sway of the hand when aiming for example. Ammo and supplies are also scarce in The Last of Us, which gives more of a survival feel to the game. Another gameplay factor is exploring, there is a ton to explore in the Last of Us. The game play in the Last of Us is outstanding, however the combat may get a bit repetitive for some. 9.5/10 for gameplay.

Multiplayer: This is a division where Naughty Dog doesn't shine usually. However, the Last of Us had such an amazing concept that was carried out and executed perfectly. The combat from the singleplayer comes into the multiplayer unlike in Uncharted and the tense vibe also comes in. I would have liked to see co-op, however the multiplayer suffices. With only 2 game modes for the multiplayer, it can get a bit repetitive. 9/10 for multiplayer

Overall: This game may be the best I have played from this generation, the characters were played perfectly, the story was immersive and gameplay was awesome as well, multiplayer was good as well but had a few bugs and problems here and there. Naughty Dog has failed to disappoint me yet again. 9.7/10 (im rounding up to 10)
  95. Jul 1, 2013
    The best PS3 exclusive videogame I can even say that this is one of the best videogames in the world.There is nothing bad to say about THE LAST OF US!!!!!!!!
  96. Jul 6, 2013
    I've never felt compelled to write a review, but figured I'd make an exception for this game.

First, just to clear the air a bit, I want to point out a few things the game is NOT. It is not Uncharted with zombies, and similarly, it is not a shooter. You can play it that way on the easy setting, and just shoot your way through, but on normal and up be prepared to do some sneaking and running away. It is not a casual, cheerful game. It's depressing, dark, and sometimes walks the fine line between "fun" and "tedious."

Also, just to put it out there, a lot of the negative reviews are by people who clearly haven't played the game, but have just watched a few gameplay clips. Anyone who primarily complains about the game's "puzzles" clearly has just watched a clip but not played the full game; those sequences are a tiny fraction of the overall gameplay. The game is not full of QTEs, but it might look like it does to someone who hasn't played it, as it will tell you which button does what in certain situations. If someone complains that the game is just a shooter, take it with a huge pile of salt or assume that they played it on the easiest setting and just ran through the levels.

So what is the game? IMO it's primarily a stealth game, but in several instances it forces you to fight your way out. But you're almost always outnumbered and you usually don't have a full supply of ammo. If you don't like stealth games, you're probably better off steering clear of the game or renting it. If you try to run in guns blazing, in most cases you'll be outgunned quickly, and if you manage to survive, you run out of ammo before you kill all the enemies. What typically happened for me was that I would take down a few enemies silently before I got spotted, then would fight my way through the rest once they saw me.

The basic mechanic of the game is cover based stealth; hide behind stuff, and make sure the enemies don't have line of sight. You have a "listen mode" which basically lets you see through walls if the enemy is making noise, so you can keep track of them. If you catch them unaware, you can take them down with a long strangle move or with a shiv (if you have one). If they see you, you can still take them down, but it will alert other enemies nearby. Also, Joel is generally not a very good shot as his arm wobbles, so its in your best interest not to rely on shooting (at least until you can upgrade).

The story and characters are what drives the game, both figuratively and literally. I can't say much without spoiling it, but if you don't care about the characters, you probably won't enjoy the game. The tone of the game is oppressive and depressing, and thoughout the game I had a sinking feeling that something horrible was about to happen. And sometimes it did happen. There are few bright spots in the game. This unending depression makes it hard to move forward in the game and at times makes it hard to play. But the characters and their story motivated me to keep going. If you don't like the characters (or don't pay attention) you may reach a point where you just don't want to play anymore. Especially since some parts of the game are really difficult. IMO the overall story is worth the effort, and the overall pay off I think is comparable to completing Demon's Souls and/or Dark Souls without spoilers.

I did have a few problems with the game that prevent it from getting a 10 from me though. The AI is really spotty and inconsistent. Infected are pretty dumb in general, and I can accept that; some of them don't even have brains anymore. But human enemies vary wildly; sometimes they're really smart, sometimes they're dumb as bricks. Friendlies are similarly inconsistent, and on top of that, are totally invisible to enemies. I can understand that from a gameplay perspective, but it can really disrupt immersion.

Speaking of immersion, the overall mood and tone gets disrupted by the game elements. Getting chased by a horde of zombies, but see something glimmering in the corner? Of course you have to take the detour to grab it. Someone tells you to go as fast as you can straight down a corridor, but you see a room off to the side? Of course you have to go in and look for stuff. Of course, there's the typical "you're about to run into an enemy, so here's some ammo just in case" loot caches in a few spots.

Overall, it's an amazing game, if you buy into the characters. The cons are pretty minor in the scheme of the game; the AI is generally smart enough to kill you repeatedly and its ultimately a video game so there are going to be gamey elements.
  97. Jul 11, 2013
    if you're reading this,get your computer,get out of your house and drive to a gameshop and buy this friggin' game,because if you don't have this game it means either you're poor or you have a suckish taste in games
    ,and I mean it
  98. Jul 14, 2013
    The best game of this generation on any format, and the best game I have personally ever played. The game mechanics are spot on, it's fun and challenging (unless you play on easy) and the story and characters are easily movie worthy. Genuinely felt more for the characters than 99% of apocalypse movies. Great ending leaving me desperate for more. The multiplayer is even worth a whirl!The best game of this generation on any format, and the best game I have personally ever played. The game mechanics are spot on, it's fun and challenging (unless you play on easy) and the story and characters are easily movie worthy. Genuinely felt more for the characters than 99% of apocalypse movies. Great ending leaving me desperate for more. The multiplayer is even worth a whirl! Must buy! Expand
  99. Jul 29, 2013
    There must be more games like this. The Last of Us is a rare game which focuses on both the story and the gameplay and manages to make both of them brilliant, this is one of the best games of the PS3 era.

Story: The story is desperately sad in The Last Of Us. Society has fell apart due to a fungal illness which makes human beings become crazy and ferocious monsters. Joel is a middle aged man who has given up on humanity and murder is something that has become a normal days work to him. He then runs into a young girl named Ellie who he is tasked with taking care of and escorting her across the country to a group called the Fireflies. The story is powerful but sometimes cliched as it follows some of the same plot-lines as other post apocalyptic fiction but if it ain't broke don't fix it. The characters themselves are down to earth and are the most likeable and understanding characters I have ever seen in a video game and it is truly sad the game has to end sometime.

Gameplay: The gameplay in The Last Of Us is realistic and makes you feel like you a lost in a world gone to hell. Not only must you be wary around the infected but also other human beings in a dog eat dog world where the word mercy falls onto deaf ears. The AI for the infected can be predictable but it fits with the story of the game, the human AI is different from that and will hunt you down if you are not careful. Ellie is never a hindrance to the player since enemies never try and attack her and this can break the immersion of the game at times but it is better than having to constantly look after her like Sheva/Ashley in the Resident Evil games. Ellie is helpful because not only does she help find supplies but she will also distract enemies or even attack them which can make a difference when it's just two of you against a whole group of survivors. The AI in total is some of the best I've seen in gaming with only a few occasions were they don't seem to know what they're doing. Supplies are scarce in the game and every encounter makes you think should I use this now or keep it for later? There is no hand holding when it comes to supplies, once you used anything then its gone and all you can hope is it you'll find a similar item later. Combat is brutal, every gun shot counts and can knock Joel off his feet if he's not careful and melee combat allows you to do finishing moves that will cause your enemies head to smack against the environment while his brain pops out.

Graphics: the graphics are amazing sometimes you feel like you're watching a movie and every expression is visible on every characters face both during game-play and cutscenes making them seem very human. The enviroments are well detailed and allow you to explore and scavenge it to see if you can find anymore supplies.

The Last Of Us is the closest to a perfect game I have ever played with just about everything done right in the game apart from at times clumsy enemy AI and a little bit of immersion breaking. The story may follow some zombie cliches but that doesn't make it bad in any sense. The Last Of Us is definitely one of the best games I have ever played and it is one that I will play for years to come.
  100. Aug 2, 2013
    This game is the PS3's masterpiece, and also its best farewell gift. Never before in this generation of consoles I've felt so much excitement, joy, sadness and involvement. This is more than a game, it's an experience. Even when completed, you'll frequently find yourself thinking about Joel and Ellie, what they went through together, the people they met, and who they become.

Thank you so much Naughty Dog. I can't wait to discover what you will gift us with on the PS4

1. Sep 16, 2013
  2. Sep 10, 2013
  3. Despite the breakneck pace of the prologue, it takes quite a while for The Last of Us to pick up some speed again. However, once the cold harsh winter arrives, the action (and story) ramps up. So much so, it puts most Hollywood productions to shame. [July 2013, p.76]