• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Jun 14, 2013
9.1

1. Jul 17, 2013
    I've waited a long time for games to reach this level of maturity in story telling, which is the number one reason this gets a 10 from me. Outstanding character development, script, story and heartbreakingly natural character animations. This brings cinematic gaming storytelling toe to toe with some of the best feature films out there. Match that with Naughty Dogs ability to createI've waited a long time for games to reach this level of maturity in story telling, which is the number one reason this gets a 10 from me. Outstanding character development, script, story and heartbreakingly natural character animations. This brings cinematic gaming storytelling toe to toe with some of the best feature films out there. Match that with Naughty Dogs ability to create visually gorgeous games and a fine tuned survival horror game play experience, The Last of Us deserves a solid 10. Truly a masterpiece. Expand
  2. Jul 10, 2013
    If I could sum up the review in one word it will be: masterpiece.

I have played video games for the last 25 years and this game just topped my list of best games of all time. I don't think I have ever played a game on the edge of my seat as I did with this game. The plot/story is amazing and the execution of the actual game-play is top notch. I highly recommend this game to anyone
    If I could sum up the review in one word it will be: masterpiece.

I highly recommend this game to anyone who wants to experience the peak of media entertainment.
  3. Jul 28, 2013
    I've played many games throughout my 30 years of living in this planet and The Last of Us is by far the best game I've ever experienced. Never have I cared more about characters than I did for Joel and Ellie. The combat is great and while not perfect (sometimes the enemy AI doesn't see Ellie when it should, and sometimes it doesn't notice their dead comrades as soon as they should), theI've played many games throughout my 30 years of living in this planet and The Last of Us is by far the best game I've ever experienced. Never have I cared more about characters than I did for Joel and Ellie. The combat is great and while not perfect (sometimes the enemy AI doesn't see Ellie when it should, and sometimes it doesn't notice their dead comrades as soon as they should), the fact that you care so much about Joel and Ellie makes the combat so much more fun.

The cutscenes are awesome and there's plenty of them in this game. The weapons rpg system is good, you can choose to upgrade the weapons that are important to you and you have many customization options such as increasing the range, increasing the amount of bullets in the clip, increasing the power of the bullets, and increasing the firing rate. You start the game with a simple gun and by the end of the game you'll have some powerful military grade weapons in your arsenal.

The multiplayer is also real good. You have two options, a team deathmatch or survivor mode. Team deathmatch doesn't need an explanation and survivor mode is 5 or 6 rounds of last team standing. If you're not awesome with shooters get ready to be pwned hard, they have some really good players that will make you feel like a nooblet. If for some reason you don't like hearing people talk on the microphone there's an option to mute.

The story in this game is so good, this game is so good that if you don't have a PS3 yet now is the perfect time to get one cheap just to play this game, and if you wait a few months for the PS4 release I bet you will find used PS3s cheap on Ebay and Amazon. I liked this game so much that if they ever release this game on PS4 with improved loading and textures I would buy it immediately.
  4. Feb 22, 2014
    I am confident to say that The Last of Us is the best game that I have played in this generation. Even though my favorite genre is JRPG, I recognize all the developers’ efforts in this memorable masterpiece.

First of all, this game is not a shooter. Every year people complain about the same franchises arguing that they do not innovate. Ironically, games like Call of Duty still continue to break sales record over and over. To be honest, I expected that The Last of Us was going to be somewhat Uncharted-like (since it’s from the same studio), but for my surprise it is not. It is all about surviving. You have to make every bullet count instead of shooting frenetically. In my opinion, a game has a good chance of succeeding by not being more from the same saturated shooter industry. Another thing that makes the game brilliant is the stealth system. It completely suits with the survival aspect.

Secondly, I believe that games are not only about gameplay but also story and soundtrack. The cast is memorable and the voice acting is amazing. It is easy to have immersion in the game because you get involved with the events between Joel and Ellie. They are charismatic and somehow invite you to be part of their adventure. One thing that I have to highlight is the fact that this game is not about zombies. In fact, the term used to describe these kind of enemies is “infected”. No banal things like “shoot only in the head to kill them” exist. People are just infected. It is possible to kill some of them unarmed and not by blowing up their heads. Some levels of infection require weapons to kill enemies, but it is a feature that adds challenge to the game. The concept of infected may not be original, but from I gather it is easy to distinguish the infected ones from this game.

For these reasons, The Last of Us is my game of the generation. In a world where console games seems to decline year after year with the advent of mobile and casual games, I cheer that hardcore, innovative and memorable games continue to come. Naughty Dog was able to prove that even in the end of generation there is still hope for old school gamers.
  5. Jul 24, 2013
    This game, this masterpiece truly is the pinnacle of story telling, at the start when you watch Sarah die, well, you know a game is good when watching that makes you cry, this game, words can not explain the power of this game, a video game like this will always find a special place in anybodies heart, this character development, the story telling, no fact that the pase is not broken dueThis game, this masterpiece truly is the pinnacle of story telling, at the start when you watch Sarah die, well, you know a game is good when watching that makes you cry, this game, words can not explain the power of this game, a video game like this will always find a special place in anybodies heart, this character development, the story telling, no fact that the pase is not broken due to loading screens, the graphics, the atmosphere, there truly is no game like this, it really is the pinnacle of story telling, Naughty Dog, good job guys, you really have defined the true power of video game story telling, absolutely amazing. Expand
  6. Aug 9, 2014
    I've been a PC gamer for the majority of my life and I really wanted to try this game out. I just never wanted to spend the money on a console (ps3). During the release of the PS4, it made sense to hop on board, due to the amount of exclusives that Sony has. This is by far one of the best single-player games I've ever played in my lifetime. This is up there with Half-Life (insert allI've been a PC gamer for the majority of my life and I really wanted to try this game out. I just never wanted to spend the money on a console (ps3). During the release of the PS4, it made sense to hop on board, due to the amount of exclusives that Sony has. This is by far one of the best single-player games I've ever played in my lifetime. This is up there with Half-Life (insert all the expansions), Half-Life 2, Bioshock, and many others. Expand
  7. Jul 22, 2013
    Amazing game...the story and characters are what drive you to play more. There are some creepy moments in pitch black, which thankfully give it a sense of horror. There are slight issues (some odd graphical glitches here and there...your partner AI runs in weird places and is completely invisible to the enemy), but it's easy to overlook. It's odd how people are saying in their reviewsAmazing game...the story and characters are what drive you to play more. There are some creepy moments in pitch black, which thankfully give it a sense of horror. There are slight issues (some odd graphical glitches here and there...your partner AI runs in weird places and is completely invisible to the enemy), but it's easy to overlook. It's odd how people are saying in their reviews that they absolutely loved the game, but the AI problem took some immersion out of the game, and then rate it a 0. Makes no sense. All the positivity of what you're hearing is true, so go play it! Expand
  8. Jul 31, 2013
    A masterpiece. Naughty Dog made yet another masterpiece. This game is as close to perfection as ever: a deep and emotional storyline with an unforgettable ending (and the beginning, actually), hauntingly beautiful graphics with clever level design, memorable soundtrack by Gustavo Santaolalla, engaging stealth-based gameplay and a surprisingly robust multiplayer mode. If I was asked for anyA masterpiece. Naughty Dog made yet another masterpiece. This game is as close to perfection as ever: a deep and emotional storyline with an unforgettable ending (and the beginning, actually), hauntingly beautiful graphics with clever level design, memorable soundtrack by Gustavo Santaolalla, engaging stealth-based gameplay and a surprisingly robust multiplayer mode. If I was asked for any minuses, I'd only mention the fact that your AI buddies sometimes act weird, running around the level, sometimes even bumping into enemies who can't spot them. But that's only a minor fault that in no way compromises the game's overall quality. My verdict is simple: if you own a PS3, buy it. If you don't, seriously consider doing so, you're missing out something truly marvellous. Expand
  9. Aug 15, 2013
    I am simply lost for words when it comes to this game, it is quite simply the best game I have ever played and without a doubt the best game of our generation. From the heart breaking start to the heart pumping ending, The Last Of Us never once failed to submerge me from the story or game play throughout the very satisfying 15 hour length. What surprised me most about the game was inI am simply lost for words when it comes to this game, it is quite simply the best game I have ever played and without a doubt the best game of our generation. From the heart breaking start to the heart pumping ending, The Last Of Us never once failed to submerge me from the story or game play throughout the very satisfying 15 hour length. What surprised me most about the game was in fact the incredible game play, from features such as modifying/selecting weapons in real time really change the way you regularly play.

The primary aspect of The Last Of Us is stealth. In almost every encounter it is designed for you to clear the enemies out through silent moves, of course it is your choice whether you want to do this or go in all guns blazing, but there is one problem, ammo. The player has next to no ammo in the game and what you will notice quickly is that you will be unable to pick fallen enemy weapons as soon as you have killed them. This forces the gamer to carefully choose when is the right moment to use Joel's weapons as well as being even more accurate with shots.

There is so much to say about what makes this game so perfect, so flawless, but I simply don't want to bore you away if you are reading. But I will say that I came to the conclusion that this was the best game I have ever played half way through the story, and by the time I finished it I preached to the world that The Last Of Us is the greatest game of all time.

10/10 Masterpiece
  10. Mar 23, 2014
    Masterpiece is the only thing that crosses my mind whenever I hear this game. If you own a PS3 and you love video games, it's a crime that you have not played this yet...
  11. Jan 13, 2014
    Everything has been already written and said. It is that good, really! Anyone considering buying the cheapest secondhand peace of PS3 hardware just to give it a try should do it! Afterwards you can peacefully put it away knowing that money were most well spent!! It is that one of kind GAME that makes you totally forget about the thing that you "just playing video games", giving you theEverything has been already written and said. It is that good, really! Anyone considering buying the cheapest secondhand peace of PS3 hardware just to give it a try should do it! Afterwards you can peacefully put it away knowing that money were most well spent!! It is that one of kind GAME that makes you totally forget about the thing that you "just playing video games", giving you the single best ART experience throughout all media (music, books, comics, movies etc..) this year.

There are some AI bugs, but you will forgive, for this one is aiming different direction. That is to give you great story, characters, experience, perspective and fill you with emotions. I dont normally write much about stuff but this time I had to just to shake it off my mind a bit. It sticks so very much.
  12. Jul 20, 2013
    You know how good everyone says it is? It's even better than that. This game is groundbreaking and just perfect in both concept and execution on nearly every level. The story is so cleverly written and deals with many mature themes, and I don't think there's any game that has had be so emotionally hooked and shocked me so much with the choices the characters have to make. I'd go into moreYou know how good everyone says it is? It's even better than that. This game is groundbreaking and just perfect in both concept and execution on nearly every level. The story is so cleverly written and deals with many mature themes, and I don't think there's any game that has had be so emotionally hooked and shocked me so much with the choices the characters have to make. I'd go into more detail, but I wouldn't dare ruin this game for anyone. In fact, if you don't have a PS3, buy one just to experience this game. And on top of that the gameplay is amazing. I heard in an interview the game was influenced by No Country For Old Men and I get that now it's not in the story but in the incredibly tense stealth/survival gameplay. I'm not joking, this is one of the best games I've played in my whole life, and I'd say the only PS3 game that it doesn't top is Metal Gear Solid 4 but that's just my opinion anyway. Get this game play it before someone spoils it because it's one of the most incredible experiences I've had with a game EVER. There are a few annoying things barely worth mentioning though it's really awkward in the sections where you have to move things and the water sections are pretty annoying, and there are some bugs and glitches that still need patching out but these are barely worth mentioning. Do not hesitate to pick up this game.

Final score: 10.0 out of 10
  13. Mar 15, 2014
    Wow, just wow. This game is not just one of the best games ever made, but it's also one of the best experiences I've ever had. The story is deep and extremely emotional, it hits you right from the beginning. All of the characters introduced in the game have immeasurable depth. The graphics are good for a Ps3 game, but the art direction is absolutely fantastic, they've made sure to addWow, just wow. This game is not just one of the best games ever made, but it's also one of the best experiences I've ever had. The story is deep and extremely emotional, it hits you right from the beginning. All of the characters introduced in the game have immeasurable depth. The graphics are good for a Ps3 game, but the art direction is absolutely fantastic, they've made sure to add every little detail you can think of (vines growing on walls, buildings corroding, etc). You can tell they loved making this game. The sound in the game is fantastic as well, especially the voice acting from Troy Baker (Joel) & Ashley Johnson (Ellie). They had great chemistry with one another. Also, the gameplay is top-notch .The hand to hand combat was crafted, the way you sneak around, and the gun-play, was all given the same attention to detail as everything else, all were excellent. This is one of the best games of all-time. Expand
  14. Jun 29, 2013
    There are lots of games that features zombies/infected or post apocalyptic enviroments, yet Naughty Dog has managed to push what is possible with the theme to show that an excellent story and fantastic cast of characters is just as important as gameplay and graphics. With The Last of Us, Naughty Dog has managed to combine all the important aspect that makes a game great to become aThere are lots of games that features zombies/infected or post apocalyptic enviroments, yet Naughty Dog has managed to push what is possible with the theme to show that an excellent story and fantastic cast of characters is just as important as gameplay and graphics. With The Last of Us, Naughty Dog has managed to combine all the important aspect that makes a game great to become a masterpiece that not only is one of the best games of this year, it may be the best game from this generation, even surpassing Naughty Dog's own Uncharted 2. You play as Joel, a survivor of a fungus pandemic. One of the best parts of the game is the interaction between Joel and Ellie as they travel across the post apocalyptic US. Joel is a harden survivor, who have already been through both before and after the pandemic, while Ellie was born into this harsh enviroment. This creates some great interactions between the character and Ellie, pushing the story forward. In this brutal enviroment, there is no right or wrong. Everything the survivors do are just trying to survive. The graphics in the game are amazing, with enviroments filled with details everywhere. Its amazing how Naughty Dog is able to improve the graphics from the Uncharted series and push it even further, squeezing every drop of power available from the PS3, making it one of the best looking game in this console generation. From the brutal winter to the overgrown buildings, the attention to detail really makes you feel immersed into the world of the game. The gameplay is also great, making you feel as if you are really fighting for survival. Ammo isnt found very often, making you feel that every shots is important. Melee is almost the same as the Uncharted series, only harder. Enemies do fight back when you engage in melee combat with them, unlike Uncharted 3 where the enemies only sometimes do a reversal and all you have to do is press another button. The sound is also excellent, with Gustavo Santaolalla's amazing soundtrack really puts you into the mood of the game. Still, Naughty Dog knows when to let nature take over the music, creating a perfect mix of musics and sound. Gunshots are loud and powerful, making even a simple pistol round feels powerful. Punches make you feel as if you are really punching and using melee weapons make the hits feel even more powerful and devastating.

If you are still thinking about buying this game, just buy it and enjoy this masterpiece.
  15. Jun 18, 2013
    This is seriously the best game I have ever played. I have never wanted to play a single player story like I did with this game, on top of that the in depth upgrading system was amazing. What also amazed me was that this game had the best graphics I have ever seen in a game and this is on the PS3 and we have the PS4 coming in the fall!
  16. Jul 20, 2013
    Astonishing. Masterpiece. Those are few of the many words that can be used to describe this amazing work of art that this game really is. It takes you to a story that is extremely immersive, deeply emotional, and professionally written, describing the path that Joel and Ellie go throughout the entire game.

That all isn't enough to cover how amazing the story is, going hand to hand with the beautiful scenarios, stunning engine and great AI, both for Ellie and for the enemies. Also keeping in mind that the multiplayer is at some points wonderfully unique and even addictive, it's the story that shines the most, and makes this game a perfect 10, and a must buy for all Playstation fans.
  17. pxl
    Aug 27, 2013
    A fantastic and immersing story that kept me on my toes till the very end, the ending was great and evoked emotion and honestly, just made me think what I would do in a similar situation. Thank you Naughty Dog, you made my childhood with Crash Bandicoot and now that I'm 18, you once again just create a masterpiece.
  18. Aug 24, 2013
    The Last of Us is probably the best game you'll find on the PS3. Period.

The Last of Us is probably the best game you'll find on the PS3. Period.

First of all, no game on the system is prettier, and no game has a better voice cast, including the Uncharted games. There is also so much tension throughout the game that the rare moments that it eases up are incredibly meaningful. Every second of this game has been given so much thought and so much care. I honestly can't imagine a game being better than this.

If you own a PS3, you owe it to yourself to play this game.
  19. Jun 30, 2013
    The story and character development in this game is truly amazing. I felt connected to the characters and immersed in the story and gameplay. The AI could use some improvement, but the game is very fun to play, albeit a little easy. You'll love Joel and Ellie so much as you progress through the game. This game is a must-buy for any PS3 player. I bought a PS3 just to play this game andThe story and character development in this game is truly amazing. I felt connected to the characters and immersed in the story and gameplay. The AI could use some improvement, but the game is very fun to play, albeit a little easy. You'll love Joel and Ellie so much as you progress through the game. This game is a must-buy for any PS3 player. I bought a PS3 just to play this game and it didn't let me down one bit! Expand
  20. Aug 16, 2013
    Naughty dog has done it again.A great game to play after a long time,easy controls,best graphics,great action/adventure and horror mixture,smooth gameplay.This is a must play game.
  21. Aug 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is far above and beyond any video game you'll ever play concerning characters and story. This is without a doubt the best character-driven video game I've ever played and has such a fantastic story. Some people might not like the ending, as the choice Joel makes might go against players wishes, but in terms of a story that takes a turn we wouldn't expect, this is an instant classic in any game, or movie, for that matter. I truly developed an emotional bond for Joel and Ellie as this game progressed, the gameplay is spot on in terms of making me nervous about a future encounter with enemies, forcing me to prepare ahead rather than charge in guns blazing. In areas that are heavily infected with the zombie type enemies in the game, there's nothing more exhilarating than sneaking by an entire group of them and getting away with it for fear of not having enough ammo to take them on. This game will grip you from start to finish and arguably has the best story any video game has ever had.

It's online multiplayer mode shouldn't be taken for granted either, as it is a warm departure from the typical shooter game being played online nowadays. It forces you to plan accordingly, craft items, and sneak your way through the maps as stealth is your best friend online.

This game will instantly go down as a PS3 classic and perhaps even a classic in all of videogame history as well.
  22. Aug 31, 2013
    The Last of Us are, until now, the best game of the year. But he is also better than any game of 2012. So, it's one of the best games ever. The story is awesome, the relationship beetwen Joel and Ellie is very good.
  23. Jun 24, 2013
    This game is pure gold. Good job Naughty dog, because you have created a game that was so emotional and so intense that I just could not stop playing it, the game was just beautiful, and was probably one of the best, if not the best looking game on PS3. I congratulate you guys and wish you all the best in making more of such beautiful games, I also hope there will be a sequel.
  24. Jun 24, 2013
    This is not a game, this is an art. The storyline is amazing. Action is intense, there are a lot of puzzles too, which make a game more interesting. Characters are alive. It is wonderful and far more better than resident evil. I bought the game and read reviews but did not expect such a wonderful and powerful experience! well done!!!
  25. Jul 14, 2013
    That's just finished yesterday, well, I can say it is something! The game masterpiece in all aspects. In terms of drama, I have not played stronger in the movie can not even remember that so touched me. Much, much, do not pass either.The level of detail and attention to detail makes every event and experience the discovery to complete, in some places, just as much as a tear pierced orThat's just finished yesterday, well, I can say it is something! The game masterpiece in all aspects. In terms of drama, I have not played stronger in the movie can not even remember that so touched me. Much, much, do not pass either.The level of detail and attention to detail makes every event and experience the discovery to complete, in some places, just as much as a tear pierced or getting terribly from what he saw. Music at the height of the atmosphere just without words.Yes, there are downsides, but against all of you just do not notice, and you go and you go forward.For the sake of one such game you need to buy a PS3. Personally, I have both xbox 360 too, but I'll tell you a box in terms of games, oh, how far. None can compare with exclusive Heavy Rain and The Last Of Us. Yes, Alan Wake good, but it is two times worse than the last two. About Gears Of War silent, especially the latter.In general, ND company that is doing the right games. Oscar definitely!P.S.Yes, I want to say that this game is 21 or even 25-30, to keep in mind for understanding, and experience, of what is happening on the screen. People who do not have At least 21 years of age or older and you do not understand half of what is happening on the screen, and emotional drama. Especially if you have kids, you just do tear the tower. Pupils game may seem can be boring, monotonous can. Definitely not for children and adolescents. Expand
  26. Jun 17, 2013
    The Last of Us has officially de-throned Red Dead Redemption as the best game that i have ever played! This is an absolutely amazing experience that needs to be had by everyone! It has an rich and engaging setting that is just begging to be explored, the best graphics I have ever seen in a video game that really brings the world and the characters to life, and a deep and heartfelt storyThe Last of Us has officially de-throned Red Dead Redemption as the best game that i have ever played! This is an absolutely amazing experience that needs to be had by everyone! It has an rich and engaging setting that is just begging to be explored, the best graphics I have ever seen in a video game that really brings the world and the characters to life, and a deep and heartfelt story of hope and survival against all odds. Lastly, to top it all off The Last of Us has some of the most unique and fun multiplayer I have ever played! Its refreshing to see a game that decides to step out and try something new instead of just be another Call of Duty clone! Now the only complaints i do have about this game are a few audio bugs and that the characters can occasionally glitch out when the combats gets really frantic... However, those are completely minor complaints to what is otherwise an absolutely fantastic and jaw dropping experience!! Expand
  27. Jun 30, 2013
    Quite simply the greatest game iv ever played, i own both a 360 and a ps3. From graphics to story to characters to game play it's all spot on. If you don't yet own this game then do yourself a favour and buy it.
    Naughty dog are truly an incredible games developer and i look forward to see what they bring next.
  28. Jul 13, 2013
    I am older (28), and don't have time for non-awesome games, let alone redundant games. I also hate console games because of their graphics. This game has beautiful, PC worthy graphics, best voice acting I've heard in a game, and a deep combat system. This is the finale of PS3, and its best game. Don't miss this one.
  29. Jun 18, 2013
    That's not a game. This is a movie make in video game. Naughty Dog used the full capacity of PS3 with graphics and details in scenario. Make the characters with one personality involved the players. i love this game and big competitor for GOTY.
  30. Jun 28, 2013
    Not even completed the game, and I'm already giving it a 10! It has amazing gameplay mechanics, easy controls, epic cinematics, and overall, an amazing story, easily engrossing any PlayStaion owner! I would only recommend this, to 18's and over as it does have extremely violent cinematics of things like heads blowing up! It may have an amazing story and all, but it is still veryNot even completed the game, and I'm already giving it a 10! It has amazing gameplay mechanics, easy controls, epic cinematics, and overall, an amazing story, easily engrossing any PlayStaion owner! I would only recommend this, to 18's and over as it does have extremely violent cinematics of things like heads blowing up! It may have an amazing story and all, but it is still very challenging! If you get scared easily, I recommend playing the easy difficulty, if you don't mind, give medium to hard difficulty a go! Expand
  31. Jun 18, 2013
    Every single time I see all 0 reviews for a game that works when you turn it on, I vote with a 10 myself. Keep it up trolls, you are the reason the user side of this site is a joke.
  32. Jun 17, 2013
    As the PS3 cycle comes to its end, we see the true power that it can show with The Last of Us as Naughty Dog proves with every detail and every second of fully immersive gameplay. The most compelling moments of the whole game are the simple chats that Joel and Ellie have together. And the constant conservation of supplies make this game a true survival.
  33. Jul 13, 2013
    I bought a PS3 just for the release of this game. I was not disappointed at all with my purchases. I absolutely love this game. It was an amazing experience. Anyone giving this game a 1 is either insane or just trying to go against the grain to be a hipster. The story was great and better than I've seen in most movies now a days. The interaction between Ellie and Joel was amazing. HonestlyI bought a PS3 just for the release of this game. I was not disappointed at all with my purchases. I absolutely love this game. It was an amazing experience. Anyone giving this game a 1 is either insane or just trying to go against the grain to be a hipster. The story was great and better than I've seen in most movies now a days. The interaction between Ellie and Joel was amazing. Honestly the first 20 minutes of this game had me hooked and I knew that I was going to be in love. TLOU may not be ground breaking with any of its game mechanics but it did those mechanics right. Everything was fluid. When you add up everything positive it did, it's an obvious GOTY. Expand
  34. Jun 22, 2013
    Gameplay's fantastic. Story's amazing, settings are extremely detailed, characters are well-developed, dialogue is realistic, and the ending is phenomenal.
  35. Jun 17, 2013
    This is the game I've been waiting decades for. This is it, the game that I feel was able to immerse me in an experience like no other medium can offer. We are gamers for a reason and we do this for the emotional connection to the characters we play as, we are responsible for the actions that unfold on the screen and we develop relationships with these characters. I'm certain to say thatThis is the game I've been waiting decades for. This is it, the game that I feel was able to immerse me in an experience like no other medium can offer. We are gamers for a reason and we do this for the emotional connection to the characters we play as, we are responsible for the actions that unfold on the screen and we develop relationships with these characters. I'm certain to say that this game is revolutionary in the idea of involving us directly within the environment we've been put in. Just play this game and experience it, the idea of being scarce on items, the tension of having a group of hunters flanking you from every corner, the panic that comes from infected relentlessly charging you and knowing a clicker kills you in an instant, this game will blow your mind. You will cry, you will panic, you will take deep breaths as enemies close in on you, but one thing you won't feel is disappointment. Do yourself a favor and experience this. You deserve it. Expand
  36. Jun 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I wouldn't say this game is perfect, but it certainly is a Masterpiece. I've been waiting for this game since it was announced back in 2011, I pre ordered it in 2012, the wait was long, but it's finally here. (prologue/intro), The game starts with Joel's daughter waking up to uncle tommy's phone call, you walk down the hall to Joel's room to find out what is happening, you see on the TV that something bad is happening when explosion happens and then you turn to the window and realize that it was really close to the house, you walk down stairs to find your dad, you find him and he tells you that something is very wrong, a neighbor gets in the house, Joel Shots him and he walks with his daughter and tells her that something is not right, soon later, you get in the truck of Uncle Tommy and drive off, as you sit in the back you see that everything is starting to go to hell, people houses are burning, police cars everywhere, people running left to right. The 3 characters (Joel, daughter, and tommy) had to leave the car after it was crashed, they go down a hall to find out there we're more infected there, they run into a bar and tommy tells joel and his daughter to run and he will catch up, you run down a hill and then up to meet up with a military personal. he tells them to stop and then shoots them, they both roll down the hill and Joel stands up to find out that his daughter was shot, shortly after she was dead. This seen was the most emotional/heart breaking part of the game, for me, even though I didn't know the character very well, I felt very sad to see the little girl die in Joel's arms. The game is very emotional and compelling, it's no Uncharted, this game is a lot more darker than the previous work of Naughty Dog. It's a much slower pace compared to Uncharted and the characters seem to be more alive, you could feel their emotions a lot more. The voice acting was amazing, the soundtrack is one of the best I have ever heard in a Video Game, the graphics had it's ups and downs, sometimes it looked better than Uncharted 3 and sometimes is looks a tiny bit worse, but lets not forget that this game is a lot bigger than the previous franchises and has a lot more stuff going on, it's also running on the PS3, which is an old piece of hardware. There is some texture pop ins and their was some glitches, but nothing that would ruin the experience. The AI is very smart, you can not run and gun in this game, if you do, you will find yourself very frustrated, because this is more of a stealth kind of game, the bullets and items you find (to craft stuff) are limited, sometimes you will think; 'hey, I have plenty of bullets, I could probably just blast everything up', well... You can't, trust me when I say that you will run out of bullets fast, specially if you're playing the game in Hard or Survivor. The AI (infected and people) cannot see the AI (Ellie and other partners), unless they spot you, then they will attack Ellie and or the other people you are with. Naughty Dog did this on purpose, because they didn't want your partner/s to get in the way. The Controls feel smother than Uncharted 3's, you cannot, jump to things and climb stuff like Drake can, when you see Joel run, climb etc... you could feel like a heavy feeling, you could tell that he can't do all that stuff that Drake can do, you could tell that he's just another person trying to survive. The atmosphere is perfect, I had Dead Space (the franchise) in first place when it came to that, but The Last Of Us is just so much better. This is an amazing game that everybody should experience, great story, great character development, good graphics, really good mechanics and amazing atmosphere. I recommend 10/10 or 5/5 Expand
  37. Jun 18, 2013
    This is the most beautiful, difficult, and heart-wrenching game I've played to date. The multiplayer is a fantastic addition to the work, as well. I love Sony and Naughty Dog for creating the best titles ever!
  38. Jun 17, 2013
    With a stunningly beautiful world, a compelling, often chilling, narrative, and a wealth of complex, nuanced performances come together to make what is not only the best game released this year, but quite easily one of the best games of all time.
  39. Jun 17, 2013
    This game is simply, Amazing! The story telling is phenomenal. The graphics are the best I've seen in this generation of consoles. When I was playing the game I really felt that I was in that post-pandemic wold trying to survive, experiencing something that I have never before experienced in a game. Some say that the AI isn't smart, but I did not had any problems with it. I truly had aThis game is simply, Amazing! The story telling is phenomenal. The graphics are the best I've seen in this generation of consoles. When I was playing the game I really felt that I was in that post-pandemic wold trying to survive, experiencing something that I have never before experienced in a game. Some say that the AI isn't smart, but I did not had any problems with it. I truly had a blast, playing the game. For those who like games with a strong story, strong game-play, and infected fungus people, this game is for you. Expand
  40. Jun 17, 2013
    I'm 47% threw the game and think its an amazing survival horror clearly the best it beats all resident evils new and old! Needed something like this as the resis these days are crap this game is truly amazing 10/10 for me!!! Roll on no2
  41. Jun 17, 2013
    Well, The Last Of Us is like no other game I have ever played. In my opinion this video game rivals the best that Cinema and Television have to offer.

The gameplay is slow-paced; the majority of time I spent meandering down beautifully ruined city streets, rummaging through cupboards in deserted houses or just standing in awe of the stunning environment. For this reason I can understand why not everyone will love this game. Action is sparse and focuses more on stealth than impressive set-pieces, but when you do come across the enemy the combat is tense and often brutal.

The AI is not without its faults, however, the human enemies react how you would expect humans to react. At every opportunity they will flank you, taking advantage of the complex mazes that Joel and Ellie often find themselves in. When searching they will act as a team as a team and call reinforcements if you are spotted. But some quirks can ruin moments ingame. Often your allies will run out in front of the enemy who will not even notice and (of course) they will get underneath your feet in doorways and narrow corridors.

The Last Of Us is gorgeous The best looking game of this generation. Cityscapes go on for miles, under-siege by nature. The streets are littered with rubbish, abandoned cars and foliage (think of I Am Legend). Many houses are explorable and the detail is immense. It feels authentic and everywhere you look something will catch your eye; whether it be an old family photograph, a letter to loved ones or just posters on walls of bedrooms. All of which serve to flesh out the story and enhance it greatly.

Where The Last Of Us shines is storytelling. The story goes to every extreme, often telling of great humility then depicting horrific scenes born out of desperation. The game is centered around Joel and Ellie. Their relationship is perfect. While on this huge journey their relationship evolves into one lof a father and daughter. I loved experiencing this and grew to care about both characters in a way no other video game has ever achieved. They survive hugely traumatic events and you watch as the bond deepens between them. Somewhere along your travels Joel or Ellie might stumble across an object that triggers a memory. This can lead to little cutscenes, giving the player an insight into their pasts. Throughout their journey across America they meet a diverse group of individuals. Every character encountered is unique and genuinely interesting.

Overall, when I completed the game i felt quite emotionally drained. Similar to if i had just watched an epic movie. I felt as if I had myself experienced the horrors but also the beautiful relationship that sprang up between Joel and Ellie. The Last Of Us is a story about humanities darkest hours. The acts humans perform when there are no rules and survival is anything but assured. In the midst of all that Joel and Ellie bring to light the best qualities humans have to offer. Thank you, Naughty Dog, for the greatest Story I have ever experienced in a video game.
  42. Jun 17, 2013
    This game is simply amazing. It is an absolute must play game that deserves a place of honor in your gaming library and should be played by everyone. In fact, I feel rather bad for non-gamers, as this is an experience that should be had by everyone. The narrative, dialogue and atmosphere alone earns this game a 10. This is an example of how games can be just as deep and engaging as theThis game is simply amazing. It is an absolute must play game that deserves a place of honor in your gaming library and should be played by everyone. In fact, I feel rather bad for non-gamers, as this is an experience that should be had by everyone. The narrative, dialogue and atmosphere alone earns this game a 10. This is an example of how games can be just as deep and engaging as the greatest movie or novel. Fantastic, amazing, astounding, astonishing, epic, and damn near perfect. Expand
  43. Jun 17, 2013
    after playing this game im completely satisfied and really sad that it is over i do hope they find some way to make a sequel i will forever miss the game and it may be one of the only games i have ever replayed truly an awe inspiring game
  44. Jun 17, 2013
    This game is the best ps3 game on the market graphically and story wise. The depth and detail of this game continue to stun me as I fumble through the post apocalyptic U.S.A. and as I figure things out I'm scared of my surroundings in which I usually do not feel safe. While there are downsides to scavenging for supplies, there are upsides to it, such as the fact that you can upgrade yourThis game is the best ps3 game on the market graphically and story wise. The depth and detail of this game continue to stun me as I fumble through the post apocalyptic U.S.A. and as I figure things out I'm scared of my surroundings in which I usually do not feel safe. While there are downsides to scavenging for supplies, there are upsides to it, such as the fact that you can upgrade your weapons. The game does a great job at immersing you and sucking you into the world as is in 2033, the time which the game takes place. The rewards of beating the game are like those of Uncharted 2: Among Thieves because of the way you can make the environment change. While these don't parallel to the cheats in Uncharted 2, Naughty Dog's graphics department is not low budget, with three art styles. The premise of the game is really to get to know a 14 year old girl that you are delivering to a band of survivors and bond with her in your adventures. The multiplayer in this game is also immersive because you are the leader of a faction and you must forage for supplies for them and keep your new colonization safe. It puts you in the place of a survivor going on raids and trying to eliminate rival gangs. Game on. Expand
  45. Jun 18, 2013
    I'm holding my breath and crouching behind a desk. There's a Clicker in the room, his legs shuffling awkwardly as he stumbles around looking for me, his head now a bloated and blind fungal mass years of infection have removed any vestiges of humanity he once possessed. A guttural tick echoes from his mouth as he claws at the air in desperate frustration. I'm about to breathe a sigh ofI'm holding my breath and crouching behind a desk. There's a Clicker in the room, his legs shuffling awkwardly as he stumbles around looking for me, his head now a bloated and blind fungal mass years of infection have removed any vestiges of humanity he once possessed. A guttural tick echoes from his mouth as he claws at the air in desperate frustration. I'm about to breathe a sigh of relief when he passes me by but then I hear it the sound of one of those less infected but as deadly nonetheless who has spotted me and realise I'm going to run for it. I've only made it two or three steps before the Clicker hears me and screams after me in pursuit.

My vision is fading from the blood loss as I slide down behind cover, hurriedly trying to craft myself a medical kit from the few scavenged remains I've pocketed. Bullets ricochet off a nearby wall as the military advance from behind cover, suspecting I'm out of ammo. Which I am. I could have made a Molotov with the same kit, but it's too late for that now. I have no time so run towards one of them in desperation, my fist swinging towards his face.

The Last of Us (exclusive to the PS3) is a survival horror game set 20 years after an apocalypse has devastated the Earth. And for once it's not World War III or Zombies (in as much as 28 days sort of isn't a zombie film), but in a world where the insect disease Cordyceps has spread to humanity. The remaining populace have been herded into Military controlled quarantine zones.

The prologue which introduces you to the character of Joel is one of the best openings to a video-game I've encountered since Prey and Bioshock. It's very reminiscent of the opening to Zack Snyders 2004 remake of Dawn of the Dead in that it introduces something quite horrific into a domestic scene it's powerful, well written, perfectly paced and most unusually for a video game is phenomenally well acted. I haven't been as moved by watching anything that took such a short period of time since Pixar's Up.

20 years later sees your character Joel eking out an existence as a smuggler, skilled in the art of survival and travelling between the quarantine zones. A living, of sorts. And in the introduction which does the great thing of being a tutorial that doesn't feel like a tutorial sees you and your partner Tess press-ganged into a most unusual smuggling operation; To escort a young girl named Ellie with a very important secret out of the city and to safety. What follows is a breathtaking journey across a plague ravaged America where the military who seek Ellie are almost as deadly as the disease-ridden infected who wander the wastes. You'll be forced to scavenge for every piece of equipment you can get your hands on every piece of ammunition is scarce with value beyond compare, and you'll rarely be in a position where you can plough dozens of bullets into an enemy to take him down.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. So far, so video game. The survival horror genre has been done to death, so what makes this any different? Any seasoned gamer must have wandered across hundreds of post apocalyptic landscapes fighting three dozen varieties of mutants/zombies/maniacs, etc.

Well for once the script doesn't feel like it's been cobbled together by a couple of games designers who thought they were up to the task because they watched the Mad Max Box-set at the weekend. With music composed by a decent musician (Gustavo Santaolalla) as opposed to somebody who was roped into the task because they had a Casio SA-46 keyboard in the attic which still had some batteries in. With the roles acted out by a decent cast instead of dragging people in from the street or getting a developer who was in the schools performance of Oliver a decade ago.

The Last Of Us is an immaculately presented package. As what is possibly one of the last big titles for the PS3, it's a perfect swansong a perfectly worded eulogy for what gaming can be if the ingredients and recipe are right. I'll go out on a limb and say that it's probably one of the best video-games I've played in the last 30 years. Nigh on perfection.

The film critic Roger Ebert wrote a brilliant piece back in 2010 describing why he thought that videogames could never be art. It's a piece I don't necessarily agree with, but it's a shame he died not least of which because I'd love to have known what he thought of The Last Of Us. He probably still wouldn't admit it was art, but I think he'd have loved it as one of the closest links between cinema and gaming I've seen in a long, long time.

It's been an odd week for PS3 and 360 owners in which it seems that Microsoft have been determined to make you all want to buy the next generation of Playstation. The quality of The Last Of Us means you might not want to rush that quickly to invest in a next-gen console there's life in this old dog yet.

The Last Of Us is truly brilliant. Beautiful, thought-provoking and most importantly a simply great game.
  46. Jun 18, 2013
    Absolutely Love this game. One of the best games I've played in a while. It defines what the survival-horror genre should be. It's exactly how I envisioned post apocalyptic life after reading The Road. This game, along with Farcry3 and Bioshock Infinite are some of the only ps3 games I can actually play without being bored after an hour. The story line is great, characters are great andAbsolutely Love this game. One of the best games I've played in a while. It defines what the survival-horror genre should be. It's exactly how I envisioned post apocalyptic life after reading The Road. This game, along with Farcry3 and Bioshock Infinite are some of the only ps3 games I can actually play without being bored after an hour. The story line is great, characters are great and the game play is great. There are a few things that bother me, like the small amount of ammo you can carry despite it being around (Normal mode), also some of the NPCs running around freely while you're trying to sneak around. Still, overall a great game that was well worth waiting for. It's not everybody's cup of tea, but as you can tell from the overwhelmingly positive reviews it's a great game. The people saying this game is overhyped don't seem to consider the possibility that they're a minority with their opinion. 10/10 would play again. Expand
  47. Jun 18, 2013
    The Last of Us is pure gold. They have forged what i believe to be the most realistic post apocalyptic world. I love zombie games and i love survival games but this one has to be my favorite. I think its up for running on best game of the year. I loved the plot and the amazing character development. Sometimes the combat was a bit clunky but overall it was fantastic. They did a good job ofThe Last of Us is pure gold. They have forged what i believe to be the most realistic post apocalyptic world. I love zombie games and i love survival games but this one has to be my favorite. I think its up for running on best game of the year. I loved the plot and the amazing character development. Sometimes the combat was a bit clunky but overall it was fantastic. They did a good job of not making it an escort mission and i love that you got to play as both characters. I would recommend this game to anyone over the age of 18 that is not offended by brutal violence and constant profanity. Expand
  48. Jun 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The fact I can't stop thinking about this game two days after finishing it is a testament to how special it is. I've never felt compelled to review anything in my life, yet here I am. I'll just say it up front, The Last of Us is a masterpiece of game design, in every aspect I can think of, from art direction, level design, character development (greatly helped by the talents of Troy Baker and Ashley Johnson), pacing, to the more subtle things like feeling the weight of a character through the controls. That familiar, comfortable, feeling of coming back to Joel after a short time with Ellie is not something I think I'll ever forget. No game has ever given me that sense of familiarity with a character.

I appreciated so many of the small details. They really do make a difference. Here are just some that come to mind:

-The bottle falling over as I helped move a shelf.
    -The subtle movements of curtains and flags.
    -AI that made me stop thinking of this game as a typical game and treat it differently than any other.
    -That the scene-setting lights in the hospital could be knocked over.
    -Individual differences in scribbled handwriting on the walls and in notes.
    -The piano in a hallway that wasn't there arbitrarily, but because it was close to a banquet room.
    -Ellie's joke about the scientists turning into monkeys. the animation on those monkeys!)
    -That Joel wanted to be a singer.
    -The giraffe scene.
    -The note to Bill being crumpled after getting tossed away.
    -Nolan North as David
    -Ellie's mood being down after seeing the deer carving.
    -The room Ellie was reading the diary in. That whole house in fact.
    -The ending

I could go on and on, but really, it's a culmination of all of these things and more that made this game something I never thought was even possible. How can anything top this? I honestly don't know. The realities of game development almost dictate that this game shouldn't exist, but it does and I'm forever grateful for that.
  49. Jun 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Last of Us is a beautiful experience. It is a rare, fulfilling narrative that will not disappoint you.

At the beginning of the game I was a bit unsure. The initial sequence is fantastic and riveting, but after skipping ahead 20 years to the setting of Boston, I felt as if the environments felt a bit unauthentic. It just seemed a bit "unpolished" to me. I'm not quite sure as to why, just the scenes involving Boston seemed as if they lacked the Naughty Dog "sparkle."

As the plot progresses however, the characters reel you in. The motion capture, facial expressions, voice acting, cutscenes- all phenomenal. You become attached to the storyline and boy is it addicting.

Gameplay is outstanding. It is undoubtedly a Naughty Dog game. Combat, foraging, and exploration shine in this game. Crafting is a welcome feature to the post apocalyptic scenario.

Graphics and visuals are brilliant. Every time a clicker gets too close, you are forced to watch hauntingly as it begins to devour you. It was so intense later in the game that when playing as Ellie, I had to look away.

The sound is nothing short of amazing. Excellent score, particularly near the end of the game, the giraffe scene and the final cutscene.

If I have any complaints about the game, they are minor. Once or twice the AI ignored one of my allies. A couple of glitchy moments but nothing major. If there's anything I would have liked to see in this game, I simply would have liked it to be longer. It took me just under thirteen hours to finish the first playthrough on normal difficulty. I know that's a decent length, but much of the story skips through parts of Joel and Ellie's journey. What happens in the land from Pittsburgh to Colorado? I enjoyed so much of the story and gameplay that I would have loved a significantly longer experience. Again, the story does do a great job of introducing new environments. Cities, snow covered forests, college campuses, rural towns, etc.

The ending is something that we will all be talking about for quite some time. Ellie, all throughout the journey, becomes more consumed with guilt. But in the end, Joel takes the guilt of a lie in an effort to her well being. A fantastically crafted story, easily one of the best I have ever played.

I have never completed a story and wanted to start playing it over again, right away. But that is what The Last of Us is- a masterpiece.

One of the best games of this generation.
  50. Jun 18, 2013
    I don't even begin to describe on amazing this game is, this game is such an amazing game and possibly the greatest game I've played, Naughty Dog once again proves they are gods of gaming, the combat in this game is gruesome and brutal, the only honest problem I have with this game was that I could not see at some points in the game, other than that I had no problem, if you love gamingI don't even begin to describe on amazing this game is, this game is such an amazing game and possibly the greatest game I've played, Naughty Dog once again proves they are gods of gaming, the combat in this game is gruesome and brutal, the only honest problem I have with this game was that I could not see at some points in the game, other than that I had no problem, if you love gaming this game is for you. Expand
  51. Jun 18, 2013
    I went in with very low expectations, mainly because I hate zombie games. But this game... it blew my mind! It didn't take long to understand that this game was not about the infected, and with the amazing writing and story you understand how the world has become to what it is and why people are acting zombie-like. I absolutely LOVE this game!

Pros: -One of the best gaming intro's to

Pros:
    -One of the best gaming intro's to date in this medium. I was playing this in the living room, and my parents were just minding there own business, as they usually do when I playing video games. But this time they were just entranced as I was.

-Extravagant voice acting. Some of the best this medium has to offer, and not just from a few of the voice actors but from the whole cast.

-Not just voice acting, but the actors performance was also incredibly well done.

-Loved finding the little notes about the peoples life stories and events that occurred to them

-Some of the most tense combat I've ever experienced in a game to date. An it's not about the checkpoints, and how death is trivialized. It's more about wanting to survive, and having that little inkling of health left, and just feeling triumphant, and victorious and you blow these hoarding blitzing clickers with the few ammo of buckshot you have left. Just feels so empowering.

-Some nice scary moments (the basement in pittsburgh, the school in lincoln)

-All the characters themselves were Joel was someone you could easily feel and relate for. Ellie was never annoying, and honestly felt like a daughter you wish you could have for yourself. She was dependent and strong, and a great female character. Bill was great as well. Loved the plight of sam and henry, and that conclusion, well, it was encapturing. Just lots of great characters all the way around. Full of depth and personality

-Great, and I meant GREAT writing. Felt natural, organic, and just very real. Felt very much like the script of a film, or a hbo tv show -Some of the levels like Lincoln, parts of Pittsburgh, and most of the 2nd half were great.

-First game that gets better and better as you progress. Very rare for a video game, since it's usually the other way around

-The 2nd half, especially The Winter Chapter, is what DEFINED this game. Without this 2nd half, this game would've been a straight up dissapointment.

-The Winter Chapter in general. So many great moments, and so many "The Road" vibes. Especially with the hanging people on the meathooks. Gave me those vibes from the road

-Playing as ellie was so much fun -I liked how david mentioned how many people joel and ellie killed, especially in the university. Really drove home the fact, that they are brutal murders in a sense, but only trying to survive for another day

-I really liked the in game inventory management.

-Really enjoyed the crafting, the upgrades as well.

-I really loved the Giraffe segment. Made me smile to see how happy and excited Ellie was

-Cutscenes look beautiful. Just beautiful

-The shadows are incredible, there are really some standout beautiful moments in this game

-Fall and Winter had some of the best atmosphere in this game

-As frequent as death is, love that the checkpoints never punish you

-Similar to tell tales walking dead, you can see a bond be created by these 2 characters. I honestly felt that The Last of US blew away what tell tale did in this area.

-Love how there relationship just grows and grows. What you experience when you first me her, will be a much different relationship when all is said and done. It really is great, especially how joel turns around in the spring chater -Just a great overall fiction and world that naughty dog built.

-A great OST as well. Never pounding upon your head. Subtle in ways, but always feel haunting, and emotional. Really, Really well done by Mr. Gustavo Santaolalla!

-Felt like a genuine journey. So many moments that will forever be remembered.

-Really like the ending. Wasn't what I expected, and the spoilers were wrong to! Made me think, which I always enjoy in a game
    -Probably one of the better gaming narratives to date. Yes it's predictable at times, yes it's treaded ground that's been beaten upon it's head time after time in books and films. It's tropes we've seen before. But for whatever reason, in this young medium, it feels so refreshing and new. The chemistry between these 2 characters. These are the stars of the show, and the game. How they evolve as characters, and most importantly as people is worthy of applaud to Naughty Dog Cons: -Some areas are a bit unpolished, some occasional minor glitches -Some of the AI ranges from great, to awful -Some of the minor things like strangling a guy whose screaming to death and not notifying other people around them is a bit hokey. And that's the only negative for me. But because of stellar voice actiong, story and gameplay I give this masterpiece 10/10.
  52. Jun 19, 2013
    one of the best games ever made,spectacular graphics,breathtaking gameplay,definitely the best game of this generation.Naughty Dog is always worth,expect gta in deciding the game of the year
  53. Jun 24, 2013
    Some idiot by the name of Dog4life reviewed this game on here and gave it a 1 but then proceeded to admit that it was indeed a great game!( which it is, one of the best A gaming experience like this only comes along once in a blue moon and should def not be missed. Bring on the inevitable sequel!
  54. Jun 23, 2013
    LOVED IT!!! This was more like an interactive movie than any other game I've played. Story was awesome, gameplay was enjoyable, infected were creepy, humans were realistic, emotionally invested in characters, great voice acting, beautiful graphics... I could go on and on. It's been awhile since I've been this excited and engrossed in this type of game. Can't wait to see what you do on theLOVED IT!!! This was more like an interactive movie than any other game I've played. Story was awesome, gameplay was enjoyable, infected were creepy, humans were realistic, emotionally invested in characters, great voice acting, beautiful graphics... I could go on and on. It's been awhile since I've been this excited and engrossed in this type of game. Can't wait to see what you do on the PS4 when you do a sequel! Great job! Expand
  55. Jun 23, 2013
    Do yourself a favor and get your hands on this title. The execution is incredible, and the story will grab you within a few minutes. From the confused and sad-stated Joel, to Ellie's emotional impact and witty remarks, you'll be completely amazed and absorbed in what every character has to say. I've played all the big titles this gen, and I have to say this game wins over them all- it'sDo yourself a favor and get your hands on this title. The execution is incredible, and the story will grab you within a few minutes. From the confused and sad-stated Joel, to Ellie's emotional impact and witty remarks, you'll be completely amazed and absorbed in what every character has to say. I've played all the big titles this gen, and I have to say this game wins over them all- it's that astounding. Brilliant writing; brilliant everything. Expand
  56. Jun 23, 2013
    Really awesome game!! Perfect voice acting and story.Really awesome combat and melee. The story never fell short and I was leaning on the edge of my couch. If you have a ps3 you should buy this game
  57. Jun 23, 2013
    Okay so I'm going to give my honest review of this game.

Okay so I'm going to give my honest review of this game.

First let's get all the bad things out of the way. There are a bunch of bugs in this game. From disappearing corpses, to dialogue not having sound( This happens rarely and is probably just my blueray giving problems, althoug it's just a week old ps3.). The enemy AI supposedly doesn't notice your companions since then they'd give your position away too often. This is supposedly how they developed it and is not a bug. Really? Okay, I guess that isn't a bug, just programming then. Because your companion AI is literally dumb as a brick. Here's an example of my first playthrough.

I was sneaking past a few clickers in a graveyard, I was tensed the out because a clicker jumping you meant insta-death. So sneakily sneaked towards a clicker's back and wouldn't you know it, old Bill came stomping his feet so hard, running right in a circle around the fore-mentioned clicker, just to hide in plain sight-next to the clicker. My windows almost broke from the intense amount of sound he was producing. I have to admit, my heart stopped because this is the first time it happened and at least the clicker didn't notice him. (It will happen again don't you worry.) I gathered my strength and proceeded towards the clicker to slash it's throat. But unfortunately for me, Joel's crotch produced friction in his underpants and alerted the clicker to his presence. Killing him instantly.

Something like that really breaks the immersion.

Another thing that really irked me was the spawning in of enemies. I found myself in a very emotional part of the game and decided not to induce a firefight. I went in all ninja like and strangled every single last one of the bastards. Just to have five more guys spawn from out of nowhere, when they start surrounding me and move towards my position. They literally force you in to a firefight. At least this doesn't always happen and for the most part you can just sneak past everyone.

Now there are a bunch of small bugs in the game, which I think should be easily fixable with a patch or two. But for the most part, they're all minor and never really impact the game in a complete and utter negative way. In all honesty, the companion AI isn't even that big of a deal as I made it out to be, at least they don't alert the enemy right? That would've sucked balls.

Multiplayer has it's fair share of problems as well. Okay, actually I just encountered one. But I'm sure there are more bugs. I joined a game just to have my camera placed at a static location. It wasn't following my character, it was just stuck at the intro of the match. The only fix I had for this was to aim for the whole duration of the match, that's the only way I got the camera to follow my character. (Which I didn't do for an entire match, since it's annoying. I just joined another game.)

Now for the good things. Now, let's start from the beginning.
    The intro was brilliantly done, I won't say what happened, just that it's like getting punched in the nads. My eyes were all watery. You know a game's going to blow you away once it does that. But right after the whole intro sequence, I found the beginning section of the game to be rather, underwhelming. Don't get me wrong. The atmosphere was drawing me in, the dialogue was well written, the voice acting top notch and the graphics were phenomenal. Something was just missing. *Que uplifting music* Then comes Ellie, there to brighten your day in this depressing pale world. The relationship between Joel and Ellie will have you emotionally attached to these characters in no time. You'll cry, you'll laugh, you'll get angry, then you'll cry some more. The story, I will admit is cliche to a degree. Most of it's idea's has been used before, but it feels right. It's been revamped and maybe made even better. Can't go in to too much detail, I don't want to spoil anything of course.

The atmosphere rakes you in to the world. The sound makes you feel like you're really there. If you hit someone with a blunt object, you can actually hear how hard that thing hits. Guns sound like they pack a punch. Music ques at the right times. The world Naughty Dog has crafted is something you can literally gawk at for hours. It's that beautiful. I found myself staring at the environment more than actually playing the game. The cut-scenes portray character emotions on a whole new level. Okay so my character limit is almost up.

Just to recap.
    The BAD:
    Disappearing corpses.
    Glitching AI

Enemy AI is smart.
    Graphics.
    Atmosphere.
  58. Jun 28, 2013
    This game deserves a 10, it's not an action packed game where you go willy nilly shooting at everybody, it may be slow moving, but the the environment created and the interaction between the characters is amazing! This game had me thinking about it when i wasn't playing it... it went beyond the actual game, making me think about how humans can react to a zombie-like infection.

At first

At first when I heard about it, i thought it would be similar to uncharted, but as soon as i started playing, Last of Us it's its own beast, with so much to offer, different than uncharted
  59. Jun 29, 2013
    Best game of the year. Best graphics, best song, cinematics, storyline... Characters of Joel and Ellie are absolutely brilliant! I love all of Naughty Dog's games!
  60. Jun 29, 2013
    one of the best games I have ever played, inmersive story, really good controls and nice combat scenes. you really feel that you are fighting for your and ELliés life
  61. Jun 30, 2013
    This game was just amazing. I don't know what to say, I had found nothing bad. Characters were very good, the graphics were just amazing, best story I have ever experienced, and I found the multiplayer very good too. I must say that this game was an amazing experience, this just proves that Naughty Dog yet again have gave us a perfect game.
  62. Jun 30, 2013
    "There was no violence for violence sake" That quote says it all. I pay attention to the other reviews & most of the negative ones come from users who don't even own a PS3 & therefore don't have the game to play. Personally I don't give games perfect scores that often & the only ones to previously get this sort of commendation from me would be Mass Effect 2 & the most recent Bio-shock. Had"There was no violence for violence sake" That quote says it all. I pay attention to the other reviews & most of the negative ones come from users who don't even own a PS3 & therefore don't have the game to play. Personally I don't give games perfect scores that often & the only ones to previously get this sort of commendation from me would be Mass Effect 2 & the most recent Bio-shock. Had to get used to the shooting mechanics in this game but other than that there's not much negativity I can bestow on this title. Graphics, sounds, game play, storyline, voice acting, the realism, it all tied together perfectly to create a game that ended up being better than I thought. You don't often get 87/87 critics to write positive reviews on a game, and when you do, you know its some thing special. Game of the year for me & arguably game of the decade. Expand
  63. Jun 30, 2013
    This game is truly a GREAT GAME!

First let me tell you about the SINGLEPLAYER. I did my first playthrough on the hard difficulty setting, it took me about 20 hours to complete my first playthrough. On the hard difficulty setting the game gives you the perfect amount of tension, because it makes the enemies tough and it limits the amount of resources that you will find throughout the
    This game is truly a GREAT GAME!

First let me tell you about the SINGLEPLAYER.
    I did my first playthrough on the hard difficulty setting, it took me about 20 hours to complete my first playthrough. On the hard difficulty setting the game gives you the perfect amount of tension, because it makes the enemies tough and it limits the amount of resources that you will find throughout the environment. Thus making you fully think about how to approach each situation, and every encounter is unique thanks to these gameplay mechanics. I cant speak for the easier difficulty settings but on the hard setting it did not allow me to run and gun through the entire game. You learn to think differently with this game, you approach combat strategically because of limited resources. The game is forgiving though in the sense that it does frequent autosaves so if you die, you dont have to go back too far. In my playthrough the longest time that I saw between autosaves was 8 minutes. Naughty Dog did a fantastic job of keeping the combat fresh you arent just fighting "zombies" this whole game and the different enemies require different tactics. The crafting in the game adds depth with a slight RPG elements, in the future I would love to see more crafting options. I had a lot of fun with this game and had a hard time turning it off every time, the gameplay is fun and addicting and the story is very compelling.

Now for the MULTIPLAYER.
    The multiplayer has the same controls as the singleplayer and the mechanics are the same for the most part. There are two different multiplayer modes both are basically death match modes and they both pit 4 players against another 4 players, however one gives each side 20 lives (tickets) and the last team standing wins. The other mode gives the players only one life and last team standing wins that round and they do several rounds per match. The multiplayer can be very frustrating at times especially if you have a bad team or no one has microphones, I havent cussed this much at a game in a LONG TIME. IN ORDER TO DO WELL IN THIS GAME YOU NEED TO BE ABLE TO COMMUNICATE WITH YOUR TEAM. Sorry for all the caps but I cant emphasize this point enough.
  64. Jun 30, 2013
    [Story]-
    [Story]-
    I just finished playing the game for the second time, i have never experienced something so amazing, all the story and places you travel, all the little things like Ellies jokes and Joel's little grumpy comments and how throughout playing the game they're personality changes. Watching these characters transform and bonding when they meet each other for the first time. I loved how both of the main characters were what they were looking for. Both with survivor guilt. They both needed someone. Also very interesting how they took the virus from the real world and implanted it in the game, very creative.Game has my respects, comedy/action/thriller/Adventure/Horror/Mystery/Drama.

[Gameplay]-
    Gameplay wise, the game does have minor issues like when Ellie keeps bumping on you and moving around in front of enemies, keeps making the game feel unrealistic at times Not all the time But other then that, the gameplay is truly amazing, i like how they integrated the eye candy along with the gameplay. And i noticed that the developers put 100% effort Start to Finish really amazing. I would say the puzzles were not so difficult but then again, who said this was a game about solving puzzles? All Locations make you feel like if you were playing an open world game, i took my time to enjoy the view every single part of the game is outstandingly detailed every object has it's story, when you walk everything you see makes you wonder about the world your in. You care about the characters so much that when you run from infected it makes you look back for Ellie and you feel bad if you leave her on her own.

Game has different weapons and ways to use and create upgrade your weapons health stamina etc.

[overall]
    Finally the game is a must buy, it has intense gameplay not repetitive, i'm playing the game for the third time and i'm half way through still not bored or irritated, it has replay value multiplayer. It has multiple ways to pass through every level and every level has it's own unique design.You could play the game in front of you're mom, dad, friends family, they will be amazed and will want to be part of this amazing story. DLC for the The last of us is yet to come so sit tight.

Game receives a big ol 10 because it's the closest to perfection i'm not saying it's perfect but 10 is the closest you can get. I do not recommend this game to Hack and slash players, rpg or call of duty players. And last but not least little kids.

P.s
    If you played the game and you say joel is the bad guy, truly you did not play the game it was intended to. This game makes you talk to your t.v. I'm a Battle field 3/ Darks souls/Mario galaxy /Amnesia/Uncharted/God of war/ Red dead redemption, player and i approve of this game to my favorite games collection.

Thank you for taking the time to read my review. (or at least scrolling down to this).
  65. Jul 1, 2013
    There's very little I can say about this game that hasn't been said already. I'm going to try and sum up this review really quickly, saying that this is an ABSOLUTE MUST BUY for any PS3 owner. Heck, even Xbox owners should spend the money and buy a PS3 (even just before the new generation comes out!) just to experience this game. And that's my main point about this game. It's anThere's very little I can say about this game that hasn't been said already. I'm going to try and sum up this review really quickly, saying that this is an ABSOLUTE MUST BUY for any PS3 owner. Heck, even Xbox owners should spend the money and buy a PS3 (even just before the new generation comes out!) just to experience this game. And that's my main point about this game. It's an experience. You see the characters changing, the story is fantastic and the atmosphere unforgettable. After playing 'The Walking Dead' by Telltale, I was skeptical as to whether any other game can meet the character development and story levels that Telltale games had produced. Naughty Dog have met if not surpassed the levels set by The Walking Dead. Yes there are a few glitches and the AI for followers such as Ellie can be a little cumbersome but the positives outweigh the negatives by so much that the Last of Us is worthy of a 10/10. Expand
  66. Jul 1, 2013
    I really enjoyed playing this game. It showed how great things can come from something that didn't intend to change the gaming community. I didn't expect much from this game, that might be the reason that I thought that this game was so great. This game had amazing graphics and an awesome story line. An as the game progressed I got more attached to the characters. I would like a sequel toI really enjoyed playing this game. It showed how great things can come from something that didn't intend to change the gaming community. I didn't expect much from this game, that might be the reason that I thought that this game was so great. This game had amazing graphics and an awesome story line. An as the game progressed I got more attached to the characters. I would like a sequel to this game but I know that they couldn't do it with the same characters because that would total screw up what they had going with the ending. Naughty dog does always make games with sequels so who knows. Expand
  67. Jul 1, 2013
    One of the best games I have ever played. Naughty Dog has added so much detail and depth into this game it is extraordinary, best graphics I've seen on a PS3, intense gameplay with its survival horror aspects, and such a thrilling and immerse story. The multiplayer may not be the main purpose of The Last of Us, but it sure fun to kick back and play it. The only problem is probably the AIOne of the best games I have ever played. Naughty Dog has added so much detail and depth into this game it is extraordinary, best graphics I've seen on a PS3, intense gameplay with its survival horror aspects, and such a thrilling and immerse story. The multiplayer may not be the main purpose of The Last of Us, but it sure fun to kick back and play it. The only problem is probably the AI and a few bugs, though this did not change my mind on the game at all. 10/10 Expand
  68. Jul 12, 2013
    This game, this is the greatest game. Every single detail is artfully crated and made uniquely for it's place in the game. The story is brilliant and the game play changes constantly with the story. The gameplay is simple to learn and incredibly immersive. New gameplay is introduced all the way up to the end of the game. There really isn't a better game, Naughty Dog has made a masterpieceThis game, this is the greatest game. Every single detail is artfully crated and made uniquely for it's place in the game. The story is brilliant and the game play changes constantly with the story. The gameplay is simple to learn and incredibly immersive. New gameplay is introduced all the way up to the end of the game. There really isn't a better game, Naughty Dog has made a masterpiece that redefines how games should be. It doesn't just beat games though, this is better than most other pieces of media, movies, music, books and all. Everything comes together in a perfect symphony of music, story telling and performance. Expand
  69. Jul 13, 2013
    AWESOME! This game has everything a game needs. Perfect story, good graphics, characters are perfect, What disappointed me a little bit, was the ending. It was kind of weird. But after all, perfect game. 10/10
  70. Jul 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Best game story and gameplay this year. Almost up there with ocarina of time. The low score come form people who have not played the game, so sad that have to review a game they have not played. Expand
  71. Aug 18, 2013
    Really! Awesome game! 200 negative rewie? Who is this little boys? I think they have no PS3 and orc-raging. True story, 120% gameplay, best atmosphere, amazing graphic. MUST HAVE!
  72. Jul 14, 2013
    The Last Of Us is new my favorite single player game. It has been perhaps a decade, if not more, since I had this much fun playing a SP. The mechanics are sound and good, but it's the story that makes this game. The setting is appealing and executed perfectly, and character development is truly engaging. I want to add that for the first couple of hours, there is a sentiment of been thereThe Last Of Us is new my favorite single player game. It has been perhaps a decade, if not more, since I had this much fun playing a SP. The mechanics are sound and good, but it's the story that makes this game. The setting is appealing and executed perfectly, and character development is truly engaging. I want to add that for the first couple of hours, there is a sentiment of been there done that. It's not boring by any means, and I'd argue that it's essential for the game's greatness, but you'll only see that about a third of the way into the game, at which point you'll appreciate the first few steps.

People who endlessly complain about the state of videogaming should play The Last Of Us with an open mind and they'll see that there's some hope. There are voice actors out there who can still sound like real people rather than action heroes. There are still writers who will make you feel that something matters. This game may not be the best zombie shoot-em-up game, mechanically, but it does not compare to anything else. It has something that, to my knowledge, has never been pulled off by any other game.

I'm not usually one to comment online about games, but I'm so incredibly enthusiastic about TLOU that I just have to get it out there. I definitely want to see more the main characters, if Naughty Dog can pull it off gracefully. I don't know if it can be done, but one can hope. Play this game, if not now, buy it later when the price drops, but play it. And give it an honest shot.

Cheers.
  73. Jul 15, 2013
    The Last of Us is not a game, it's an experience. Debuting at the end of the PS3's life cycle, i'll be damned if it's not the best game on the console, and a beautiful Swan Song. Naughty Dog has crafted a vast, emotional, intense cinematic experience that you wouldn't get from any other game. Joel and Ellie are some of the most intriguing characters in recent history, also the mostThe Last of Us is not a game, it's an experience. Debuting at the end of the PS3's life cycle, i'll be damned if it's not the best game on the console, and a beautiful Swan Song. Naughty Dog has crafted a vast, emotional, intense cinematic experience that you wouldn't get from any other game. Joel and Ellie are some of the most intriguing characters in recent history, also the most compelling. The universe we are inserted into is rife with peril, emotion, chaos, and beauty as you toil through the 10-12 hour campaign, playing as Joel accompanying a young girl named Ellie, whom must be protected. These are characters you invest it, and care about genuinely, and want to make it to the end. The enemies range from the Instant-Death bringing Clickers, among other infected creatures, but also human antagonists, some of which are quite demented and vile themselves, thus bring the emotional tone up even more. The Last of Us is also a gorgeous game, pushing the limits of Graphical Fidelity that we are accustomed too on the Playstation 3, and looking like a Next-Generation experience at most times. There is nothing else to be said on the game without delving into spoilers or mentioning things that you need to experience yourself, but simply put, The Last of Us is a genre defining title, a beautiful Swan Song to the PS3, a breathtaking, emotional experience, and most of all, a masterpiece. If you do not play The Last of Us, you are doing an immense disservice to yourself. Do not miss this game. Expand
  74. Jul 15, 2013
    There is rarely a PERFECT game. Ocarina of Time, Mario 64, Halo: CE, FF7. The Last of us is as close as it gets though, and I can sum up everything about this game in two words. Genius. It wraps you in it's story, the combat is smart yet doesn't get boring, and you actually care about the characters, because their dialogue is natural and doesn't get bogged down in heavy handed theming orThere is rarely a PERFECT game. Ocarina of Time, Mario 64, Halo: CE, FF7. The Last of us is as close as it gets though, and I can sum up everything about this game in two words. Genius. It wraps you in it's story, the combat is smart yet doesn't get boring, and you actually care about the characters, because their dialogue is natural and doesn't get bogged down in heavy handed theming or excessive exposition. Expand
  75. Jul 17, 2013
    After Uncharted 3, I expected much from The Last of Us.
    Many reviews mentioned a great atmosphere and emotional depths. I looked forward to it, but didn't expect much. Trying to deliver emotions often feels forced in a game.
    So I started the game and the first chapter of the game was simply impressive and quiet shocking. I instantly felt attached to the characters, supported by great
    After Uncharted 3, I expected much from The Last of Us.

I instantly felt attached to the characters, supported by great design choices and the realistic setting.
    Right away I knew this game does it right and has some really unsetting twists. You often feel alone.

The graphics are also amazing, I guess it takes the hardware to its limit. Especially in more open areas, the graphics surprised me several times. They still managed to improve graphic wise, I´d say it's even better than Uncharted 3. It really helps setting the mood. They already added some small but impressive graphical details to the Uncharted series before, which I can't remember seeing in a game before. In Uncharted 2, it were the effects when walking through the snow. In Uncharted 3, it was how the sand reacted to your steps. The Last of Us combined those graphical achievements and also added some which make the places look very realistic, with e.g. snow falling from trees.
    The sound design is also great here, some of the enemies sound really disturbing.

The dialogue is also great and feels natural. Ellie seemed sometimes too optimistic to me, whistling during creepy situations which made me jump and cuss at her sometimes. The often criticized ladder and panel gameplay is commented by the characters in a funny way later. I wonder why Naughty Dog always adds those "give me a lift" moments in their games hidden loading times? Building a relationship between the characters? It must have a meaning...

Regarding the Multiplayer, I can't say much about it because everyone has to decide whether to like it or not. I personally like it. It's always 4 on 4 with 2 different match types. In one match type, the team which loses 20 lifes first also loses the game. I recommend using this mode for missions which take longer to complete. In the other match type, which I prefer, each team whipes each other out ones one team is down, the next round begins and everyone re-spawns at the starting point. Regarding the missions: You play 12 ingame weeks before you can change your fraction again and start from the beginning. Each round is one day. You gather points and your camp population grows, which leads to you having to gather more points. If you don't get enough points in a round, your people get hungry or sick and eventually die when you keep failing getting enough points. Inbetween, there are events where you have 3 days to e.g. prevent a certain percentage of your people getting killed. You manage that by choosing a "challenge" e.g. shooting a certain amount of enemies from a long distance, healing a certain amount of teammates etc. You can choose a mission you´ve chosen before as often as you want, but it gets harder to succeed with each time. I found this pretty addictive and exciting, especially when you´re about to lose 100% of your population and try to prevent it.

While bugs are mentioned online, I´ve never seen one. Ever.

Here are the flaws I´ve experienced while playing. To me, they were minor:

1. It wasn't a flaw to me but should be mentioned. This is not an open world game! Sometimes it gets quiet open, with parts of towns which can be explored, with many houses to go inside but it's not GTAish. Uncharted fans expected that I guess, but those who didn't play Uncharted might be disappointed.

2. Some players might be annoyed that characters keep talking if you get away from them or turn your back on them, which will cause their voice to get quieter. This makes sense, but sometimes it gets TOO quite. Don't walk away during a longer dialogue, you might miss something.

3. On week 10 in multiplayer, I accidently joined a match seconds before it ended. For that reason, I couldn't get any points and my population of 70 survivors got ill and sick. All of them. That was really frustrating that late in the game. Also, I met a really douchy team which only walked in a group, killing everyone with wooden planks for 2 rounds, which almost killed my population (those moments are terrifying), and there are players tending to leave a match when the team is about to lose (especially annoying if the game can be turned around). 3 vs 4 is very hard to win.

Well, this is another masterpiece by Naughty Dog. I´m barely affected by games nowadays, but this one was able to surprise and impress me. Thankfully, many cliché plot parts I expected didn't happen.
  76. Jul 16, 2013
    I'm going to start with this. If you own a PS3, your not getting your money's worth out of buying one if you don't buy The Last of Us. If you don't own a PS3, buy one just for this game. It's that good.

Good: - Story: Twists and turns, an unexpected plot point and an ending you will never see coming. - Survival: The fact resources are limited, as is ammo is great. It really makes you

Good:
    - Survival: The fact resources are limited, as is ammo is great. It really makes you think about if you should craft, say, a med kit or a molotov. Survivor mode definitely has a challenge to be found.
    - Multiplayer: Surprisingly, very good! Unique and will definitely keep you occupied.

Bad:
    - Everyone but Joel somehow has the ability to Usain Bolt past a clicker without making a noise, whereas you can't even move at maximum crouching speed next to one with out it killing you.

Verdict: 10/10. The complaints I had are minor, and nothing compared to how much I enjoyed the game.
  77. Jul 18, 2013
    I am sick and tired of zombie games and I love this one. If you own a ps3, you should definitely play this game. It's one of those transformative experiences you go through, when there is a before and after playing the game. I felt the same way when I first played Street Fighter II, Zelda, Mario or Day of the tentacle.

In The Last Of Us, the writing is revolutionary. A true labor of

In The Last Of Us, the writing is revolutionary. A true labor of love. Playing it feels like playing a game that treats you like an intelligent adult! It's odd that this should even be mentioned but it's a really big deal and I hope it feels like a big slap to many game directors out there, because it should!

This game oozes love everywhere. Naughty Gods wanted to totally blow our minds and had both the means and the skill to do and the result is a great, great ride. Gaming's Casablanca moment.
  78. Jul 18, 2013
    At the risk of sounding cliché, I feel I have no choice but to give this game a 10. The Last of Us is yet another masterpiece by Naughty Dog that cannot be overlooked by anyone whom 1) owns a PS3 and 2) enjoys a game rich in detail both graphically and the story line.

Story line Naughty Dog has always had a knack for telling a good story and The Last of Us is no exception. Instead of other "zombie-apocalypse" games, it focuses more on Joel and Ellie's mission (no spoilers) than it does on the infected. It's refreshing to play a "zombie" game without having to fight off hoards of zombies all the time. In my opinion, this allows more depth in an otherwise stale and lackluster genre.

Game play Is what we expect from Naughty Dog. The controls are responsive and easy to use. Enemy AI can be a little hit and miss, especially with Ellie. When in stealth, she tends to wander off, sometimes running into the enemy, yet they never notice her unless they notice you. I can see why people write negatively about this flaw but in my opinion, I'd rather the enemy not react to an NPC (Ellie) than have my cover blown all of time. With that said, I doesn't happen often and in no way will hinder your experience. Otherwise, Naughty Dog delivered a very fluid experience here. It makes for a pretty awesome experience when a hunter runs after you, then duck and dives when you pull a gun it gives you a realistic sense of combat, unlike anything I've seen in a game to date.

Graphics I won't spend much time here. The Last of Us is probably one of Naughty Dog's last productions for this console generation. It pushes the PS3 to its limits and rightfully so. This game is worth every painstakingly realistic detail that you will encounter. From water, both above and under; forestry; run-down towns and cities; no detail was overlooked.

The Last of Us is a game that shouldn't be overlooked from any PS3 owner. A must have for every library. Normally I find it difficult to find replay value in games, but I will definitely replay this game. The story is just that good.
  79. Jul 19, 2013
    I almost passed on The Last of Us I had previously decided I was not going to by any more games until next generation to save money. Everyone kept talking about how great this game was however, and how good the story an characters were, and for me that is the main reason I game. From FF7 to Mass Effect to the Bioshock games (to name a few) I love games that tell a story and haveI almost passed on The Last of Us I had previously decided I was not going to by any more games until next generation to save money. Everyone kept talking about how great this game was however, and how good the story an characters were, and for me that is the main reason I game. From FF7 to Mass Effect to the Bioshock games (to name a few) I love games that tell a story and have interesting characters. So I decided to give The Last of Us a try and am I ever glad I did.

The Last of Us, as I am sure you have read elsewhere, is a masterpiece. It is a truly brilliant achievement in entertainment and should be experienced by as many people as possible. The thing is, to truly understand why so many people keep saying this you have to experience if for yourself. Nevertheless, this is a review so I will do my best to verbalize why I feel this way.

Lets start with the story. The big picture is nothing we haven’t seen before to be honest an outbreak, followed by infected and people are left trying to survive in the dystopic aftermath. It’s a brutal world, and in the opening scene Naughty Dog lets you know very quickly that they are not pulling any punches in this story it’s not a nice place and anything can happen. This is one of the game’s masterstrokes from the opening scene you as the gamer feel uneasy with the idea that anything can happen and you are almost tentative to get attached to characters because you have the feeling anyone can be killed at anytime.

The Last of Us is not about the big picture so much as it is about the story of Joel and Ellie and their plight and the bond that forms out of necessity and genuine emotion. It is how this unfolds that makes this game special they are the two most believable characters I have come across in gaming. Due to incredible voice acting and brilliant writing you can’t help but become emotionally invested. If something is important to Joel or Ellie it is important to you. One more than one occasion I found myself wanting to rush due to a sense of urgency that one of the characters had in the game. There were cut-scenes that were so well done that when they would finish I would forget I was playing a game and wait for things to continue like a movie. To further drive the point my wife, who is not generally interested in video games, started watching me play and couldn’t stop. There were nights if I was off work and she had to get up in the morning where I would have to stop playing so she would go to bed a decent time. She also made sure I waited until she was home before I would continue playing it’s that captivating.

Of course games are also about the game play and the game play in The Last of Us is excellent. You can kill enemies a variety of ways, and there is something immensely satisfying about this. Whether it be sneaking up behind someone and driving a knife in their neck or throwing a Molotov and listening to screams of pain as several infected get caught in the blast it never gets old. You can take a slow approach, or if you have the gear you can be more direct. Be careful though, this is a survival game and resources are in a limited supply making you evaluate the best way each encounter should be handled.

The small things in The Last of Us and the attention to detail really stand out. Whether it be a background conversation, some small environmental detail or the facial expressions on the characters it is all done well and adds to the ambiance. One thing I really liked about the game was how it rewards you for exploration. More often that not if you take the time to look around you are rewarded with collectibles, crafting supplies or parts for upgrading weapons. The game is also beautiful as someone who spends a lot of time PC gaming I have grown jaded with the old consoles and find so many of the games to look dated…this was not the case with The Last of Us. I am not sure how Naughty Dog did it, but they must be squeezing every last ounce of power out of the PS3.

The game is not perfect of course, nothing is. There were occasions in combat when I would land a clean head shot only to have an enemy shake it off. As well sometimes in combat I would try to stealth and party members would not get out of the way. There were also times that an NPC would start a conversation with me when they were not close so I could not hear what they were saying as a result I found I had to have sub-titles on when I played as I did not want to miss anything. These are all minute next to the greatness of this game and easy to deal with as they are the exception, not the rule.

The Last of Us is the best video game I have ever played and I have been playing games since Colecovision and Atari. While it may not take this mantle for you I can guarantee that the vast majority of players with love this game. Or at the very least respect and admire the work that Naughty Dog put in it. Buy this game, play this game you won’t regret it.
  80. Jul 20, 2013
    Truly the best game I have ever played, it is fair to say the the game designers went full throttle to make sure that this game was to be one of the most iconic games of the year and for the 3rd gen console. The plot is perfect, very well planned and executed, it keeps the player's interest throughout the struggle that the protagonist and his young companion endure, highlighting their bondTruly the best game I have ever played, it is fair to say the the game designers went full throttle to make sure that this game was to be one of the most iconic games of the year and for the 3rd gen console. The plot is perfect, very well planned and executed, it keeps the player's interest throughout the struggle that the protagonist and his young companion endure, highlighting their bond and will to survive. A perfect swansong for the Playstation 3 that keeps to strapped in until the end. Buying this game is definitely a no-brainer. Expand
  81. Jul 22, 2013
    Although the game does have repetitive gameplay here and there, the story and plot driven aspect of it is enough to completely overlook any sort of familiar "already been done" gameplay. The mechanics and physics of the game are flawless. The acting and character development is by far better than 99% of movies out there and the fact that you get to play as these characters is the cherry onAlthough the game does have repetitive gameplay here and there, the story and plot driven aspect of it is enough to completely overlook any sort of familiar "already been done" gameplay. The mechanics and physics of the game are flawless. The acting and character development is by far better than 99% of movies out there and the fact that you get to play as these characters is the cherry on top. If you're a fan of the Uncharted series, you will not be disappointed. But if you're a fan of Uncharted and looking for a completely different way to shoot your gun, you will be somewhat disappointed because that aspect of the game is somewhat similar between the two. The game isn't really about zombies or action, its how the characters develop and survive. The only thing that i can see most survival game enthusiasts would have a beef with is the fact that when you die in the game, u just redo the same scenario until you get it done. But even that wasn't a big concern to me because if you spend a good amount of stealth time killing and one zombie takes you out, you'd have to redo all your strats again. My final comment....i was depressed when the game ended cause i loved it so much. Expand
  82. Jul 22, 2013
    Superb graphics. epic and emotional story, realistic combat, intense horror. This game contains all of those. You won't be disappointed. It gives the feeling that you ARE Joel, not just playing as him while bashing monsters, sneaking around enemies and exploring the amazingly detailed USA wasteland. I strongly recommend
  83. Jul 23, 2013
    Let me start off straight, this game is so delightful and promises to give you joy. Troy Baker, who voiced Joel, has done an excellent job in giving the character much power. Same appreciation goes to Ashley Johnson who managed to voice a 14-year old girl who is so innocent in the beginning and then slowly becomes the star of the show. Then I'll have to praise the sound which is done soLet me start off straight, this game is so delightful and promises to give you joy. Troy Baker, who voiced Joel, has done an excellent job in giving the character much power. Same appreciation goes to Ashley Johnson who managed to voice a 14-year old girl who is so innocent in the beginning and then slowly becomes the star of the show. Then I'll have to praise the sound which is done so perfect. The clicking sound of the clickers, the footsteps and every sound which is possible to happen in real life too.

Naughty Dog, creators of legendary franchises like Crash and Uncharted, didn't disappoint with the gameplay and story. I am not going to spoil the story but it's a well written story for a post-apocalyptic survival adventure. The relationship between Joel and Ellie is weak in the beginning and then slowly evolves into a relationship stronger than anything else. Under gameplay, I don't have words to describe. It is so fluid in terms of switching weapons, healing during combat and since it's a survival video game, crafting is very much necessary. Crafting a scissor into a melee weapon is so realistic and helpful killing the infected. Besides combat, you have stealth too. The developers have done an incredible job making this part of the game. Sneaking around the infected keeps your heartbeat high all the time. You enter Listen Mode which acts like seeing through wall but it's realistic in the way that the target's position is judged by their sound of their footsteps, their voice and the clicking sound of the clickers. Sometimes you can't locate the enemies/infected because they don't make any sound. The different types of the infected is smart and it's better you find them out when you play the game.

You collect supplements to improve your skills and collect parts to improve your weapons in a bench. The brutal violence in this game is as close to God of War only you don't rip enemies apart but mashing their head into a table is so mature. Ellie is not only a girl who follows you all the time but helps you in combat too. During the first hours, she throws bricks and bottles at enemies to stun them and giving you a clear opportunity to finish them off. Ellie can be a trouble sometimes. She stands in your way while you are in cover and can spoil your stealth plan. This is nothing compared to the stealth mechanics.

Overall, this game is a sure masterpiece. There is so much content in this game that gives an immerse experience which probably none game could have delivered before. It's a must buy for all PS3 owners and I guarantee that you will not regret buying the game. There is a Multiplayer mode and new game for the people who wants to keep playing this game.
  84. Jul 23, 2013
    Look, this game is amazing because it is a fully immersive experience. Once you get the controls, if you pretend and play as if you actually are the character, it is one of the most exciting and engaging games I've ever played. The dialogue and action flow seamlessly into one another. Amazing!
  85. Jul 23, 2013
    An absolutely gorgeous experience delivered to us by the studio that brought us the Uncharted series. The scenery, the game play, the characters, the plot and the dialogue are all delivered masterfully. One of the most anticipated games of the year lives up to the hype, if not, it exceeded it. Never has a game brought so many tears to my eyes like The Last Of Us is. Its just absurdlyAn absolutely gorgeous experience delivered to us by the studio that brought us the Uncharted series. The scenery, the game play, the characters, the plot and the dialogue are all delivered masterfully. One of the most anticipated games of the year lives up to the hype, if not, it exceeded it. Never has a game brought so many tears to my eyes like The Last Of Us is. Its just absurdly entertaining and thrilling. The game is just flawless to the core, it's just a true masterpiece. Expand
  86. Jul 24, 2013
    Easily the best game I've ever played. The character development, scenery, everything! I highly suggest you play this game. No matter how you get it it will definitely be worth the time and money. This game has the best characters ever as well!
  87. Jul 24, 2013
    This is one of the best games I have played. The graphics are fantastic for PS3, the story is unlike anything you've seen and the effort that has been put into this game is breathtaking. Hats off to Naughty Dog. The gameplay is well thought-out and the decisions you make will impact on the way you tackle enemies. The world you are in is just so devastating, and right from the opening youThis is one of the best games I have played. The graphics are fantastic for PS3, the story is unlike anything you've seen and the effort that has been put into this game is breathtaking. Hats off to Naughty Dog. The gameplay is well thought-out and the decisions you make will impact on the way you tackle enemies. The world you are in is just so devastating, and right from the opening you will be stunned at everything the game has to offer. Ellie is one of the best characters I have come across, and the way she grows and becomes more independent is fantastic.

As well as the single player, the multiplayer is also a great experience. I can't wait for DLC...

The replay value for the single player is quite low, but this is because you will already know the whole story and everything that will happen so I'm leaving it at 10.

Looking forward to a sequel ND ^-^
  88. Jul 26, 2013
    Excellent story, great game play, fantastic graphics, non-repetitive and plenty of hours of fun.Best 60 dollar spent.. EVER!! Oh and great multi-player as well, extremely addictive
  89. Jul 25, 2013
    I don't think there's such a thing as a perfect game, but The Last of Us comes damn close. Everything from the gameplay to the visuals to, most importantly, the narrative, meshes together to create an experience I know I'm never going to forget. You'd be forgiven for thinking this sounds like hyperbole, and trust me, I was sceptical too but TLOU is one of the few games that genuinelyI don't think there's such a thing as a perfect game, but The Last of Us comes damn close. Everything from the gameplay to the visuals to, most importantly, the narrative, meshes together to create an experience I know I'm never going to forget. You'd be forgiven for thinking this sounds like hyperbole, and trust me, I was sceptical too but TLOU is one of the few games that genuinely lives up to its hype.

First, there's the characters. Ellie is far and away the most well drawn AI companion you're likely to see this generation, and one you truly grow to care for. Joel is a perfect counterpart grim and violent, but with a plethora of emotions lying beneath his gruff exterior, you may not agree with every decision he makes (particularly towards the game's end) but you completely understand the reasoning behind it. Troy Baker and Ashley Johnson have wonderful chemistry and did a wonderful job giving these characters life. Impressively, the gameplay not only matches the quality of the story but actually complements it. The combat is weighty and tense without feeling repetitive; this is a game which makes you feel every gunshot and every blow. Enemies struggle as you strangle the life from them, beg for their lives as you line up their head in your crosshairs make no mistake, this game is dark. One particular enemy type the Clickers ranks as one of the most terrifying creatures I've had the misfortune of facing. But this darkness and violence never feels contrived or gratuitous instead it feels necessary to the story, which is the game's strongest asset. Such is the strength of the narrative that you will be completely hooked right from the prologue. This comes to a head in the Winter section which, without giving anything away, is simply one of the most masterful game sequences I've ever experienced. If you ever plan to play this game, avoid spoilers at all costs it's an experience which deserves to be played with as little prior knowledge as possible, and contains some of the most beautiful moments on PlayStation.

This game will suck you in and not let go for its entire 14-18 hours. I've been playing games for nearly 20 years, and this is quite possibly the best one I've ever played. Just do yourself a favour and buy it.
  90. Jul 26, 2013
    The only thing I can think of that would have made this game even better, would be to make it more of an open world game. Everything was very structured as you dabble just lightly into open world while searching. Once you move on though, you can never go back. Decision based story would have really nailed it down, but I suppose there are plenty of other games for that opportunity. ThisThe only thing I can think of that would have made this game even better, would be to make it more of an open world game. Everything was very structured as you dabble just lightly into open world while searching. Once you move on though, you can never go back. Decision based story would have really nailed it down, but I suppose there are plenty of other games for that opportunity. This game is a MUST BUY. Expand
  91. Jul 28, 2013
    This game was beautiful in everything it was. Although I loved the story, the gameplay too was very compelling. The ammunition and usability of items were realistic and made sense unlike most games that make you repare items every other battle. I really also like the exploration and no map concept. Overall, the battles always seemed like different puzzles in a world that is really detailed.
  92. Jul 28, 2013
    I don't even know where to begin with this game... I've been an avid gamer for almost my entire life, and I consider myself quite fluent in the world of gaming. After beating this game, I can honestly say that it may take a spot in one of my top games of all time. At the bare minimum, it's one of the best games of this past decade. Over the past few years, I've played good games, butI don't even know where to begin with this game... I've been an avid gamer for almost my entire life, and I consider myself quite fluent in the world of gaming. After beating this game, I can honestly say that it may take a spot in one of my top games of all time. At the bare minimum, it's one of the best games of this past decade. Over the past few years, I've played good games, but nothing compares to how well crafted The Last of Us is. Although the post apocalyptic trope is somewhat overused now a days, Naughty Dog has succeeded in using this theme to create a compelling, immersive, beautiful, story with The Last of Us. Although some game mechanics are somewhat faulty, I usually can forgive some misgivings for a good game and story, and all of this makes me completely forget the bad about this game (which really there isn't much). Naughty Dog created a story that does not glorify the main characters, but makes them human. Most games, movies, and TV create this sort of "hero" identity with their protagonist, which yes, you of course want to root for the main character, but at the same time we, as the audience, know that no one is perfect. I think this in itself was probably the most important facet of the game that made it so compelling, Joel and Ellie are VERY human. Naughty Dog brilliantly builds upon their relationship through the game to create not only a bond between the characters, but uses it as a catalyst for what ultimately happens at the end. Without spoiling anything, I will say that the ending of The Last of Us is definitely one of the most emotional, impactful, and compelling endings that I have ever played. This game will stick with me and I cannot help but think about how morally dense this game is. Expand
  93. Jul 29, 2013
    This game is such a masterpiece. Naughty Dog should definitely teach how to produce a game. The gameplay, the story, the setting, everything is completely perfect. I really enjoyed playing this game, hopefully give it to my grand children to play. Do not listen to bad reviews, just buy this game and start playing. If you like survival and post-apocalyptic games, The Last of Us is just for you.
  94. Jul 31, 2013
    This game is already a classic. Not thanks to its gameplay, or its AI, because they both have a few flaws.
    But thanks to its storytelling, its voice acting, and its atmosphere.
    But thanks to its storytelling, its voice acting, and its atmosphere.

This game will take your breath away, and won't give it back to you until the end of the credits. You won't find any cliché in this game. The characters are incredibly human. The whole game, you'll ask yourself this question: "What would I do in this situation".

The game's story is violent, mature, and quite depressing if you think about it.

It is full of surprises, it is incredibly good, etc...

To sum it up, as I said, it is a classic, no matter what some people say.

Oh, and by the way, it is gorgeous.
    Don't hesitate, buy it. It's worth your money.

The greatest game of this gen, along with Red Dead Redemption. 10/10
  95. Jul 31, 2013
    This game is the best zombie type game i've ever played! Naughty Dog sure did it again with their amazing games! I was stoked about this game when it first was released in stores. The emotions in this game are powerful. This is the finest game i've ever played. Can't wait if theres a sequel
  96. Aug 5, 2013
    This game is in the top 3 best game I've ever played. The athmosphere is incredible. The characters are so attaching. Each moments of this game stay in your mind. This game is a Masterpiece to the beginning until the end. Ellie and Joel are the perfects characters for this game. The story is great but what makes this game unique is the relations between Ellie and Joel. The graphics areThis game is in the top 3 best game I've ever played. The athmosphere is incredible. The characters are so attaching. Each moments of this game stay in your mind. This game is a Masterpiece to the beginning until the end. Ellie and Joel are the perfects characters for this game. The story is great but what makes this game unique is the relations between Ellie and Joel. The graphics are amazing...well this game is wonderfull. There's still annoying lags and AI are quite idiotic but the rest is awesome. Expand
  97. Aug 4, 2013
    The story is quite good but, in my opinion, the ending is sort of anti-climatic. But the way Naughty Dog designed the characters and their personalities and how they interact with each other is just amazing! And the gameplay... borderline perfect. The game doesn't feed you loot all the time, and you have to make up your mind quick if it's worth to shoot that clicker or if you just have toThe story is quite good but, in my opinion, the ending is sort of anti-climatic. But the way Naughty Dog designed the characters and their personalities and how they interact with each other is just amazing! And the gameplay... borderline perfect. The game doesn't feed you loot all the time, and you have to make up your mind quick if it's worth to shoot that clicker or if you just have to sneak by. But all and all, awesome game personally; top 5 games of all time. Expand
  98. Mar 1, 2014
    The Last of Us. A game that will be remembered.

Naughty Dog have made a masterpiece. The Last of Us brings you a story that will touch you. The characters, the world and overall the gameplay itself make this game the best that I've ever played. Joel and Ellie are characters that you will fall in love with The game tells the story of their relationship and how from totally disliking
    The Last of Us. A game that will be remembered.

Joel and Ellie are characters that you will fall in love with
    The game tells the story of their relationship and how from totally disliking each other they become best friends and even more.

Throughout the game you will find interesting items that you can use to craft bombs, shivs, med kits and other things to help you survive in the environment which is done beautifully. The combat system is one of the most interesting things you will see. It's not about run and gun, you have to use your brain and think before you act which will be a blast because of the many different ways to approach each fight. You can even chose to avoid conflict completely.

The graphics of the game are one of the most satisfying graphics you'll see not because of how well they are done (and they are done VERY well) but because of the way they make the game look so believable and so much mor satisfying.

You might find yourself crying while playing the game and you might feel attached to the character which will make you think about the world that we live in and how people treat one another. Joel and Ellie will touch your heart and you will have an experience that you would want to remember forever and make you wish that they were real.
  99. Aug 8, 2013
    This is the best game I have ever played. From beginning to end it had me on the edge of my seat. Everything about this game from the story to gameplay even multi-player. If you want to experience a great edge of your seat single player campaign this is the game for you. Visually this game has those little touches that makes everything you encounter believable. Great Experience.
  100. Aug 12, 2013
    This wasn't a game, this was an experience. I had not played the fist time, i wasn't using the ps3 thre by a year so i thought to watch a walkthrought on internet. I've never done such a more idiot thing in my life... however it was the best experience that i had with i video game, without giving any matter to the gameplay.
    this is the best game of all time, of the whole generation and
    this is the best game of all time, of the whole generation and there won't never be game like this in 20 years

1. Sep 16, 2013
  2. Sep 10, 2013
  3. Despite the breakneck pace of the prologue, it takes quite a while for The Last of Us to pick up some speed again. However, once the cold harsh winter arrives, the action (and story) ramps up. So much so, it puts most Hollywood productions to shame. [July 2013, p.76]