The Last of Us PlayStation 3

• Release Date: Jun 14, 2013
9.2

1. ERB
    Jul 28, 2013
    The Last Of Us is a good game and an interesting story.
  2. Jun 17, 2013
    Naughty Dog hit this one out of the park. Absolutely stunning. I have rarely experienced a video game that was so....satisfying. With an emotional, 20 minute introduction this game stole my heart and refused to let go. I laughed, I cried, I got angry, I got scared, I panicked, I loved and I hated. It was a of emotions that went out with a bang; the effects of the ending linger in meNaughty Dog hit this one out of the park. Absolutely stunning. I have rarely experienced a video game that was so....satisfying. With an emotional, 20 minute introduction this game stole my heart and refused to let go. I laughed, I cried, I got angry, I got scared, I panicked, I loved and I hated. It was a of emotions that went out with a bang; the effects of the ending linger in me still.

Right from the beginning it is apparent how much work went into this masterpiece. Every area, every object and every character is rendered in exquisite detail. Small things like a reflection in a glossy portrait to a bandage you freshly placed on a wounded body all add up to an experience that feels ultimately...real. You feel the desperation of this broken world .

To complement this you are given, in true Naughty Dog fashion, an amazing cast of characters. Every character is unique with his or her own circumstances. You come to like character and hate them almost immediately. Joel and Ellie in particular portray a natural chemistry that you rarely see even in cinema. Ashley Johnson's performance of Ellie sinks it home, showing you just how amazing mo-cap can be.

Almost overshadowing these strong points is a breathtaking score by Gustavo Santaolalla. Naughty Dog could not have picked a better composer. Gustavo's acoustic guitar chills you to the bone and each track is ultimate crafted to deliver each scene perfectly. The sound effects as well help blur the lines between reality and fantasy. The clicking sounds of a Clicker serves as an awesome example of small sound effects causing real emotion. You will panic. A lot.

Overall it is just really difficult to put words into what this game makes you feel. If you have a PS3 and have not played this game, you are doing yourself a disservice. Even if it doesn't affect you the same way it has me there is no denying the experience being worthwhile. Do it.
  3. Jun 15, 2013
    Unbeliveable beginning Then they shock me again. Only played for about 3 hours and I'm already impressed. Very brutal, and I love it, Bet you see this on the news that its why the whole world is killing. But we know better. Just buy the game you won't regret it.
  4. Jun 19, 2013
    this game has a excellent scene and very good sound and gameplay and the best graphic i have ever seen. i think Naughty Dog makes the best games in all over the over
  5. Jun 16, 2013
    Perfect. Gameplay, multiplayer, graphics, story all 10/10.
    Perfect. Gameplay, multiplayer, graphics, story all 10/10.
    Even though the PS3's at the end of its lifetime, the graphical capabilities still surprises me. With the PS4 'round the corner, The Last of Us will make that wait much easier... Combat's perfect, scavenge what you can and build what you need before your next battle against the mushroom-headed infected. I have never been so indulged into a world, story and lore since The Elder Scrolls (which is a major achievement for a long time TES fan). Multiplayer isn't the shine of this game, nor is it Naughty Dog's main aim; but it doesn't feel like an afterthought cannot say too much, but it uses a few mechanics from the story mode over to MP, like building items. Sound astounds me. Puts me on the edge of my seat at all times. Clickers are scary, strong and gives the game an eerie atmosphere. I won't ramble on anymore, just buy it!. Certainly game of the year for me. This is not 'Uncharted with guns' for all them critics, and does not get boring.
  6. Jun 16, 2013
    I've just created an account to give an honest review of this game, I felt the need to spread the love and praise of this game. It truly IS the masterpiece everyone is telling you it is. I picked it up day one and have since gotten through my first of many playthroughs. The story is drama perfection. It feels completely organic never hammed up or forced upon you. The subtlety is the trueI've just created an account to give an honest review of this game, I felt the need to spread the love and praise of this game. It truly IS the masterpiece everyone is telling you it is. I picked it up day one and have since gotten through my first of many playthroughs. The story is drama perfection. It feels completely organic never hammed up or forced upon you. The subtlety is the true beauty of this game the way the environments lighting and dialogue convey tension, emotion and the gravity of the situation. I was literally jumping at my Tv when I feared for the characters lives. The gameplay is simple survival. Every shot counts, stealth is king and taking no prisoners leaving no one to come after you all hammer home the direness that the world has fallen into, where every moment may be cut short by infected or a lead pipe across the face. Naughty Dog does not glamorize violence, or collecting ladders to climb. It is a love-note to realism in video games. Everywhere You go tells a story if You're observant enough to read them nothing is in vain nothing is pointless filler. Everything has purpose everything means something. Switching direction to address not anything about the game but people reviewing it.

Whatever faults others have found that i've read in other reviews critic and user are, to put it bluntly untrue. I suspect they nit-picked the game to death to rebel against the generally incredible praise. For whatever morbid satisfaction having a different opinion from anyone else would hold. A few of the things I've read are downright lies. I.e. a user reviewer attacked the A.i. saying your companions would make too much noise screwing him over. Which is funny because enemies don't even register your companions when You're sneaking. Which is a little odd because You can have ellie basically cuddling a hunter. But I cannot count this against the game because having to sneak about and account for an A.I. You have no control over would botch several areas of the game directly or indirectly... back on topic. I've read that the graphics aren't that great.(****) or the voice acting is so-so(****) or the story is mediocre(****) This game from a technical perspective is a masterpiece. the voice acting WILL make you tear up once or twice. you WILL care about these characters unless you have a heart of stone. And the story WILL grip you. The world will immerse You and the enemies will terrify you. Enemy A.i. is competent and cunning to boot. Infected have human hearts and minds deep inside of them and are horrifying to just sit unnoticed and observe them jerk and twitch about sobbing, mumbling, trying to form words............ I should end this review now, but I could easily go on forever. In closing the last of us is magnificent poignant subtle beautiful and immersive, easily the best exclusive and best game of this generation.
  7. Jun 16, 2013
    I have no idea why this game has so many bad reviews, I believe this is game of the year, the story is amazing, the graphics are good too, and the gameplay is unbelievable. This game brings you through so many emotions, it has a little bit of every thing to it. It's scary, it's funny, it's violent, it's tense, the list keeps going on and on. The immersion levels are just spectacular, fromI have no idea why this game has so many bad reviews, I believe this is game of the year, the story is amazing, the graphics are good too, and the gameplay is unbelievable. This game brings you through so many emotions, it has a little bit of every thing to it. It's scary, it's funny, it's violent, it's tense, the list keeps going on and on. The immersion levels are just spectacular, from characters animations, to the detail in notes you can find scattered across the world. The multiplayer is interesting, it's fun but also needs strategy to win. All in all, this game truly deserves a 10/10. Expand
  8. Jun 18, 2013
    Amazing game, Naughty Dog really captures the essence of survival with this game, its tense and full of emotion.
    Presentation: The presentation of the game is outstanding. It's voice actors do a tremendous job, graphics are over par and Naughty Dog always seem to create such cinematic games. 10/10 for presentation
    Story: The game has an amazing story, with a sufficient amount of twists

Story: The game has an amazing story, with a sufficient amount of twists and turns to keep me playing for hours. Its story has a good length. 10/10 for story

Gameplay: The game play in this game surprised me a bit, i went into the game feeling that the combat would take away from the amazing story, but i was mistaken. The combat carries out the tense vibe with gory, brutal kills. the shooting mechanics show similarities with the Uncharted series, however have little differences that make the game so much better. The sway of the hand when aiming for example. Ammo and supplies are also scarce in The Last of Us, which gives more of a survival feel to the game. Another gameplay factor is exploring, there is a ton to explore in the Last of Us. The game play in the Last of Us is outstanding, however the combat may get a bit repetitive for some. 9.5/10 for gameplay.

Multiplayer: This is a division where Naughty Dog doesn't shine usually. However, the Last of Us had such an amazing concept that was carried out and executed perfectly. The combat from the singleplayer comes into the multiplayer unlike in Uncharted and the tense vibe also comes in. I would have liked to see co-op, however the multiplayer suffices. With only 2 game modes for the multiplayer, it can get a bit repetitive. 9/10 for multiplayer

Overall: This game may be the best I have played from this generation, the characters were played perfectly, the story was immersive and gameplay was awesome as well, multiplayer was good as well but had a few bugs and problems here and there. Naughty Dog has failed to disappoint me yet again. 9.7/10 (im rounding up to 10)
  9. Jun 28, 2013
    UNBIASED REVIEW HERE --
    (unlike the other rare hateful posts here)
    UNBIASED REVIEW HERE --
    (unlike the other rare hateful posts here)

This game was spectacular. I have not play The Walking Dead, but from what I've heard the two are very similar in the ways they present their story. After saying that, play this game on hard if you want the true survival feel which I believe this game needs to truly make an impact on the player. I normally don't get immersed in too many games' stories, but by playing this game on hard I found it really threw me into the game's atmosphere.

Story: 10
    Yes the story progresses slowly at first, it doesn't throw you into the action like a Call of Duty or Resident Evil game and that is a very good thing. This does not mean that the game's story is slow throughout, because it is not. The games story progresses at the perfect pace for a game such as this. The attachment you feel to the characters is perfect, and that is all I can say without dropping spoilers, but there are numerous times where you really feel for the characters.

Environment: 10
    The world of The Last of Us is almost a character of itself. The city sort of reclaiming itself after humanity has been removed is beautifully done. The game does not throw you into endless dark rooms with scary lighting just to impose forced horror elements, it actually presents a beautiful city that has its dark moments areas. When you talk through parts of the city and you see hints of civilization that used to be there, it really hits home that this is a post apocalyptic type environment. The city is beautiful amid all of the chaos and destruction.

Combat: 9
    The only reason I'm giving the combat a 9 and not a 10, is because at some points you feel as though you are going through the motions of eliminating the infected as you would normally eliminate them. I can't even provide a way for them to improve upon it, it just felt like it was missing something and I can't put my finger on what that would be.

Soundtrack: 10
    The minimalistic soundtrack to this game with the subtle guitar riffs was absolutely perfect. There isn't really much else I can say about it, because its just perfect.

Graphics: 9
    Yes, this game's graphics are good for PS3 standards. However while playing the game it becomes relatively evident that the PS3 is coming up on being six and a half years old. That is not saying the engine is bad, the lighting is phenomenal, the game engine is great, but there are times where the graphics have some odd noticeable outdated issues. Maybe its because this game came out after E3 and all the new flashy graphics games coming out.

In conclusion, I was honestly not a huge fan of the Uncharted series because it really just felt like Tomb Raider with more combat so I'm not jumping on the Naughty Dog bandwagon here. Capcom went on record saying the survival horror franchise was a dying game concept. Coming from an avid player of the survival horror franchise games, this game redefined the survival horror experience in an entirely new light for me and sort of says "your move capcom".
  10. Jul 1, 2013
    The best PS3 exclusive videogame I can even say that this is one of the best videogames in the world.There is nothing bad to say about THE LAST OF US!!!!!!!!
  11. Jul 6, 2013
    I've never felt compelled to write a review, but figured I'd make an exception for this game.

First, just to clear the air a bit, I want to point out a few things the game is NOT. It is not Uncharted with zombies, and similarly, it is not a shooter. You can play it that way on the easy setting, and just shoot your way through, but on normal and up be prepared to do some sneaking and running away. It is not a casual, cheerful game. It's depressing, dark, and sometimes walks the fine line between "fun" and "tedious."

Also, just to put it out there, a lot of the negative reviews are by people who clearly haven't played the game, but have just watched a few gameplay clips. Anyone who primarily complains about the game's "puzzles" clearly has just watched a clip but not played the full game; those sequences are a tiny fraction of the overall gameplay. The game is not full of QTEs, but it might look like it does to someone who hasn't played it, as it will tell you which button does what in certain situations. If someone complains that the game is just a shooter, take it with a huge pile of salt or assume that they played it on the easiest setting and just ran through the levels.

So what is the game? IMO it's primarily a stealth game, but in several instances it forces you to fight your way out. But you're almost always outnumbered and you usually don't have a full supply of ammo. If you don't like stealth games, you're probably better off steering clear of the game or renting it. If you try to run in guns blazing, in most cases you'll be outgunned quickly, and if you manage to survive, you run out of ammo before you kill all the enemies. What typically happened for me was that I would take down a few enemies silently before I got spotted, then would fight my way through the rest once they saw me.

The basic mechanic of the game is cover based stealth; hide behind stuff, and make sure the enemies don't have line of sight. You have a "listen mode" which basically lets you see through walls if the enemy is making noise, so you can keep track of them. If you catch them unaware, you can take them down with a long strangle move or with a shiv (if you have one). If they see you, you can still take them down, but it will alert other enemies nearby. Also, Joel is generally not a very good shot as his arm wobbles, so its in your best interest not to rely on shooting (at least until you can upgrade).

The story and characters are what drives the game, both figuratively and literally. I can't say much without spoiling it, but if you don't care about the characters, you probably won't enjoy the game. The tone of the game is oppressive and depressing, and thoughout the game I had a sinking feeling that something horrible was about to happen. And sometimes it did happen. There are few bright spots in the game. This unending depression makes it hard to move forward in the game and at times makes it hard to play. But the characters and their story motivated me to keep going. If you don't like the characters (or don't pay attention) you may reach a point where you just don't want to play anymore. Especially since some parts of the game are really difficult. IMO the overall story is worth the effort, and the overall pay off I think is comparable to completing Demon's Souls and/or Dark Souls without spoilers.

I did have a few problems with the game that prevent it from getting a 10 from me though. The AI is really spotty and inconsistent. Infected are pretty dumb in general, and I can accept that; some of them don't even have brains anymore. But human enemies vary wildly; sometimes they're really smart, sometimes they're dumb as bricks. Friendlies are similarly inconsistent, and on top of that, are totally invisible to enemies. I can understand that from a gameplay perspective, but it can really disrupt immersion.

Speaking of immersion, the overall mood and tone gets disrupted by the game elements. Getting chased by a horde of zombies, but see something glimmering in the corner? Of course you have to take the detour to grab it. Someone tells you to go as fast as you can straight down a corridor, but you see a room off to the side? Of course you have to go in and look for stuff. Of course, there's the typical "you're about to run into an enemy, so here's some ammo just in case" loot caches in a few spots.

Overall, it's an amazing game, if you buy into the characters. The cons are pretty minor in the scheme of the game; the AI is generally smart enough to kill you repeatedly and its ultimately a video game so there are going to be gamey elements.
  12. Jul 10, 2013
    One of the best games Ive ever played, up there with the likes of Metal Gear Solid 1,3,4 Shadow Of The Colossus, Okami, Resident Evil 4 and Uncharted 2. Naughty Dog devs dont mess around and they really take their job very serious, everything about this game excels in production value.

A very touching story that kept me caring for the 2 main characters, I really was able to feel what they were going thru, the immersion on this game is phenomenal, thanks to the state of the art graphics, motion capture, art direction, gameplay mechanics and story driven run through a post apocalyptic US.

The visceral action although very violent, never over the top, perfectly balance as it should be in the real world, without dragging it too much into reality. You really feel the tension with each encounter. The tension doesnt stop there of course, the fact that you really have to preserve ammo and make every shot count is and awesome game design decision. It forces you to explore, and really use strategic approaches to every situation, do you take down every one using stealth, do you avoid the confrontation and sneak past them, or do you go gun blazing. Either way you choose you will have to play smart and keep all your weapons loaded at all times, a split second can really mean the difference between dying or surviving.

So much more to say about this game, but I would have to write a 10 page essay for that, in short The Last Of Us is a game we only get once every generation, the quality of the story, gameplay and graphics are superb, if youre a fan of stealth, action, survival, story driven games, this is the one for you.
  13. Jul 29, 2013
    There must be more games like this. The Last of Us is a rare game which focuses on both the story and the gameplay and manages to make both of them brilliant, this is one of the best games of the PS3 era.

Story: The story is desperately sad in The Last Of Us. Society has fell apart due to a fungal illness which makes human beings become crazy and ferocious monsters. Joel is a middle aged man who has given up on humanity and murder is something that has become a normal days work to him. He then runs into a young girl named Ellie who he is tasked with taking care of and escorting her across the country to a group called the Fireflies. The story is powerful but sometimes cliched as it follows some of the same plot-lines as other post apocalyptic fiction but if it ain't broke don't fix it. The characters themselves are down to earth and are the most likeable and understanding characters I have ever seen in a video game and it is truly sad the game has to end sometime.

Gameplay: The gameplay in The Last Of Us is realistic and makes you feel like you a lost in a world gone to hell. Not only must you be wary around the infected but also other human beings in a dog eat dog world where the word mercy falls onto deaf ears. The AI for the infected can be predictable but it fits with the story of the game, the human AI is different from that and will hunt you down if you are not careful. Ellie is never a hindrance to the player since enemies never try and attack her and this can break the immersion of the game at times but it is better than having to constantly look after her like Sheva/Ashley in the Resident Evil games. Ellie is helpful because not only does she help find supplies but she will also distract enemies or even attack them which can make a difference when it's just two of you against a whole group of survivors. The AI in total is some of the best I've seen in gaming with only a few occasions were they don't seem to know what they're doing. Supplies are scarce in the game and every encounter makes you think should I use this now or keep it for later? There is no hand holding when it comes to supplies, once you used anything then its gone and all you can hope is it you'll find a similar item later. Combat is brutal, every gun shot counts and can knock Joel off his feet if he's not careful and melee combat allows you to do finishing moves that will cause your enemies head to smack against the environment while his brain pops out.

Graphics: the graphics are amazing sometimes you feel like you're watching a movie and every expression is visible on every characters face both during game-play and cutscenes making them seem very human. The enviroments are well detailed and allow you to explore and scavenge it to see if you can find anymore supplies.

The Last Of Us is the closest to a perfect game I have ever played with just about everything done right in the game apart from at times clumsy enemy AI and a little bit of immersion breaking. The story may follow some zombie cliches but that doesn't make it bad in any sense. The Last Of Us is definitely one of the best games I have ever played and it is one that I will play for years to come.
  14. Jun 29, 2013
    Step 1: Stop reading reviews of Metacritic

Step 2: Go to your local game store and purchase Last of Us.

Step 3: Play.

Yes, it's that good. One of the best single player games I have ever played. Period.
  15. Jun 16, 2013
    I just completed this game and it is fantastic, the game play it beyond immersive, and is truly dynamic, It kept me up all night and took a total of 10 hours and 30 minutes to finish. I seriously hope they're working on a sequal as I really really want naughty dog to make one. I am doing a playthrough on youtube if you want to see it type ilight8 on youtube. My playthrough is with editingI just completed this game and it is fantastic, the game play it beyond immersive, and is truly dynamic, It kept me up all night and took a total of 10 hours and 30 minutes to finish. I seriously hope they're working on a sequal as I really really want naughty dog to make one. I am doing a playthrough on youtube if you want to see it type ilight8 on youtube. My playthrough is with editing and I don't constantly talk all the time, in my opinion this game is defiantly worth having, and if you don't have a ps3, by one now. Or wait for a ps4 your choice. Expand
  16. Jun 16, 2013
    This is one of the generations best games, if not one of the best ever made! Naughty Dog shows us how to make a dramatic, horror/survival game with a fantastic story! I love it!
  17. Jun 17, 2013
    This game was a fantastic surprise for me, and even though I haven't finished it yet (I'm nearing the end), I know I won't forget this game easily. First of all, let me say this: if you are that kind of gamer that just want non stop action, explosions, and huge set pieces, don't even think about getting this game and get one of the many brainless shooters out there. For everyone else, thisThis game was a fantastic surprise for me, and even though I haven't finished it yet (I'm nearing the end), I know I won't forget this game easily. First of all, let me say this: if you are that kind of gamer that just want non stop action, explosions, and huge set pieces, don't even think about getting this game and get one of the many brainless shooters out there. For everyone else, this game is a treat. It alternates quiet, atmospheric moments to intense fights, both against humans and infected enemies all the time, with incredibly good pacing. During the quieter sections, it's fantastic to just explore searching for supplies, the environments are beautifully detailed, the designers probably spent weeks putting every single element in place. The combat is intense, brutal and rewarding, especially against the infected, it's frantic and challenging, especially when playing on hard. The sound design is equally top notch, for example in areas with rain, the rain will sound different depending where it falls, on metal, glass, concrete etc. The sound design is truly spectacular and I highly recommend having good heaphones or a nice surround system, it's insanely immersive. The music is rare, but when it starts, it does so masterfully and the already exceptional immersiveness is increased 10x. My only complaint is that the stealth is a bit unrefined. Enemy AI is mostly great, but there is the occasional bug, which is inevitable. The reason I don't give 10/10 is that they could have optimized the AI further and created a more refined stealth experience. The story is rather simple but very well executed,gripping and character development is excellent. Voice acting is fantastic too.
    The multiplayer was the icing on the cake, I didn't even care about it, but it's solid, has a different pace compared to the various shooters out there, and focuses on stealth, and teamwork. I'm having lots of fun with it, but you really need a few "bros" to play it with, coordinating your attacks and everything, but it's still enjoyable even with random people.

Bottom line, the game is excellent, it delivers in every single area, is incredibly immersive, the plot is solid, the character development is excellent, the sound design is probably the best this gen. The very few AI screwups are rare and don't hamper the experience at all. If you can appreciate a slower paced, more intimate experience compared to the average shooter or Uncharted game, which rewards careful approaches, exploration, stealth, and item conservation, this game is excellent. If you want an explosive rollercoaster with 1000+ bullets shot per minute, look elsewhere.
  18. Jun 17, 2013
    Amazing world building, deep characters, amazing script. Cinematic. Emotional. Suspenseful. This game will stick to your mind after you beat it, just like Bioshock Infinite. Just in a completely different fashion.
  19. Jun 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 95 is not enough for this game he had to hit 97-98 is perfect for goty 2013 without a doubt!!!!
    not only as goty game of the generation!!! the critics who are giving low grades of envy dies unfortunately I have ps3 xbox 360 pc and a super over this game has made the dust of my ps3 go away and saw the best game of the generation gta watch dogs beyond any game must overcome if it occurs can be sure it is mafia!
  20. Jun 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Last of Us is one of the best games I've ever played. Imagine Uncharted 2/3, which looks better, sounds better, is more endearing characters and a plot more emotional.
    Imagine that with the combat that encourages not only several playthroughs to try a different strategy, but charging stations to get your first right strategy. But it really does not do justice. Normally I would write a long review, but this is a title that needs no introduction. It's amazing, one of the best gaming experience out there. Nothing more need be said (for fear of spoiling it) not just buy it!!.
  21. Jun 18, 2013
    Don't believe the people that are giving this game anything below a 7. This game is near perfect and probably one of the best of this generation. The gameplay is sharp and fresh, both online and on single player. I haven't found myself this addicted to a multiplayer game in a long time. The survival aspect stays true for the online modes and it makes the matches more intense then anythingDon't believe the people that are giving this game anything below a 7. This game is near perfect and probably one of the best of this generation. The gameplay is sharp and fresh, both online and on single player. I haven't found myself this addicted to a multiplayer game in a long time. The survival aspect stays true for the online modes and it makes the matches more intense then anything i have played. The single player is equally as astounding with perfect voice actors and a brilliant story. While a little short, they get everything across they needed to. I'm currently playing through the single player on survival mode, and let me tell you. Its hard. But with the way this game is, the hardest difficulty actually makes the game more interesting and more intense, it almost seems like that difficulty is where the game really shines. With no listening mode you are forced to be even more stealthy and more clever with your actions, and each and every scenario takes careful planning. The people that are giving this game zeroes have absolutely no merit, because no matter how you look at this game it is absolutely not anything less then a 7 or 8. Expand
  22. Jun 18, 2013
    Right out of the starting gate the game looks amazing, surprising that gaphics can still impress me this late in the console cycle. The game starts in a calm way and gets the player connected to the characters so you care for them throughout the entire game. Within the first 10 of gameplay it starts to set up the mood giving you fear of the unknown followed by the death, destruction, theRight out of the starting gate the game looks amazing, surprising that gaphics can still impress me this late in the console cycle. The game starts in a calm way and gets the player connected to the characters so you care for them throughout the entire game. Within the first 10 of gameplay it starts to set up the mood giving you fear of the unknown followed by the death, destruction, the infected, and lastly the people. The game has a great supporting cast that you get to know while you travel with fighting opponents developing a trust and friendship, letting the player adapt the feeling the characters give. One part i particularly like is through all the fear and terror the girl Joel travels with, Eli, sometime makes drumming or guitar noises suddenly illuminating the mood giving a light to the ugly yet beautiful world. Gameplay always keep you trying to come up with different ways of passing an obstacle, gradually giving the player more weapons to play with. A breathtaking and emotional journey and an absolute must play. Expand
  23. Jun 19, 2013
    From someone who has been a hardcore gamer for 20 years, and who is also a HUGE film buff: This is, for me, the best game I have ever played. Why? First, the story is MASTERFUL. If this was a movie, I really believe it would have blown the critics away, and would have most likely gone down as an enduring classic. Incredible atmosphere of tension (definitely reminded me of a Coen brothersFrom someone who has been a hardcore gamer for 20 years, and who is also a HUGE film buff: This is, for me, the best game I have ever played. Why? First, the story is MASTERFUL. If this was a movie, I really believe it would have blown the critics away, and would have most likely gone down as an enduring classic. Incredible atmosphere of tension (definitely reminded me of a Coen brothers film), heartbreaking emotion (and I am almost never moved by video games stories), great "cinematography", and a script that in my opinion surpasses Cormac McCarthy's novels. Naughty Dog has drawn from a wealth of influences, and has created a story that is better than them all (in my opinion).
    Second, the gameplay is TENSE and very fun. If you didn't feel tension while playing this game, then you need to switch to hard difficulty (and listening mode turned off), because normal mode is for average gamers. I started on the hardest difficulty possible, with no listening mode, and man was this game incredibly tense. (I felt more tension throughout this than No Country For Old Men...I actually had to take breaks to give my stomach a rest). While the combat is not perfect (no game is), its VERY good, and not worth nitpicking due to how it services the phenomenal story.
    Third, this is the most immersive experience I think I have ever had, in gaming or in film. While there are occasional bugs due to the ambitious nature of the game, they are quite rare, and in the course of my 20 hour playthrough, I took my time stealthily in order to conserve the limited ammo I had, and explored the world thoroughly), I actually experienced tension, fear, disgust, hatred, hope, love, joy, peace, brokenness, sorrow. There are moments in this game that I will never forget.
    Lastly, the game is deeply philosophical. What at first glance appears to be a cliched "zombie" (although the infected are nothing like zombies, and are much more believable in my opinion) story is slowly revealed to actually be a fascinating study on humanity, morality, and love. This becomes apparent after the conclusion of the game. The game is so profound and well constructed that I could analyze its meaning (through mise en scene and use of motifs) in the same way I would a movie like "Moonrise Kingdom," "The Godfather," or "Pans Labyrinth."
    To sum it up, this game in a masterpiece. I honestly believe (in my opinion) that those who didn't like the game are either: 1) shallow gamers who enjoy mindlessly repetitive "Call of Duty" games rather than meaningful stories, 2) bad gamers, who thought that the gameplay was "broken" due to their lack of skill, and 3) People who don't understand how to interpret and understand masterful works of literature and film. IMO this game's meaning went over some people's heads. If you appreciate powerful films from geniuses like Martin Scorcese, Stanley Kubrick, Guillermo del Toro, and especially the Coen Brothers, you will love the artistry of this game.
    This game dethroned the masterpiece The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time from the top spot in my favorite games of all time. IT'S THAT GOOD. Gameplay wise, I think Zelda is a bit better, but the story of The Last of Us is one of my favorite stories ever (whether game, film, or book). No other game comes close. Gameplay is created to serve the story, so if you are into games only for the sake of mindless Call of Duty action rather than deep story and intelligent strategic combat, or if you are a fan of Micheal Bay style movies, don't play this game, its art will be wasted on you. To those with (in my opinion) good taste, GET THIS GAME!!!
  24. Jun 19, 2013
    Great story. Amazing graphics/effects add to the sensational immersion. Fantastic characters who you (at least I did) actually feel for and become invested in, particularly since there really is character development. Voice acting is superb. The opening scene, with what happens to Joel and... well, wow. That hit me hard and was totally unexpected. I may or may not have teared up, and thatGreat story. Amazing graphics/effects add to the sensational immersion. Fantastic characters who you (at least I did) actually feel for and become invested in, particularly since there really is character development. Voice acting is superb. The opening scene, with what happens to Joel and... well, wow. That hit me hard and was totally unexpected. I may or may not have teared up, and that was within ten minutes after starting the game. Lots of great heart-pumping action and unexpected twists of varying sizes that help to really spice things up, because just when you think it's going one way it goes another.

My cons/gripes: shooting in this game could use some improvement. Gameplay is still rough around the edges too.. And the AI in terms of enemies and your allies, while often great, is sometimes erratic and unrealistic in that sometimes while sneaking around my ally would be all up in the enemy's face and neither one would do anything as if they didn't see each other even though they were right in front of one another.

All in all, no ifs, ands, or buts about it, YOU MUST PLAY THIS GAME.
  25. Jun 23, 2013
    The last of us is something very special delivered in videogame form that has to be experienced, no matter what. The moment you start the game you know why. I have played quite a few games in my 35 years of existence, and this one is by far the best experience i have had in games. Everything in game just screams seriously high production values. The animation, the voice actors, storyline,The last of us is something very special delivered in videogame form that has to be experienced, no matter what. The moment you start the game you know why. I have played quite a few games in my 35 years of existence, and this one is by far the best experience i have had in games. Everything in game just screams seriously high production values. The animation, the voice actors, storyline, everything is just way beyond and above of what one would expect of a game. Lets take the voice actors for example. Joel, voiced by Troy Baker, and Ellie, voiced by Ashley Johnson are simply amazing. They take their trade very serious, and you can hear it in every line they speak. The chemistry between the two is also something you rarely see in games. The way they grow and bond with each other is simply beautiful. Also, the "infected" are done in way you rarely, if at all hear in games. They don't go with the stereotypical zombie cow moans, but instead sound like real sick people in complete pain and agony.
    All this doesn't mean nothing of course if the rest of the game doesn't deliver, and rest assured, it does. The animations in this game are so lifelike it is crazy. Little things such as a little nod when Joel agrees with something, or when Ellie looks away in a dreamlike trance (the world as we know it is just an abstract idea to her, what little she knows comes from books, stories etc) when talking about how things were before the world went to crap really ad up.
    Graphics are outstanding, and probably the finest you see on the PS3, but then again this beast of a game from Naughty Dog, so it was to be expected. Everything, from the ruined cities, to the characters is done in amazing, lifelike detail.
    Story is done very well. It is a little cliche at times, but despite that it is a story well worth experiencing.
    and last, but not least, game play.
    Game play is a delight in this game. Bullets feel like they really hit a enemy. It has this heavy feel to it when they find their target. Another small detail in the gunplay is that when you go out of bullets against bandits or soldiers and continue to pull the trigger your gun makes this empty clicking sound. Nothing special about that, but the enemy hears this too. I was stunned to see a guy behind cover slightly rise from behind cover and surveying the situation and then said to another guy "he's out, lets f him up". That was crazy realistic and even though my behind was served to me on a silver platter, i could not help myself smiling. Only small problem in my opinion is that some guys can take a few too many bullets and that can distract from the illusion.Small problem mind you, but a problem nonetheless. Hand to hand and melee is also something not for those with a weak heart. It feels brutal and animalistic. Really the primal him or me feeling. And when Ellie comments after a fight with something like "geez Joel, what the F?" you wonder exactly who the monster was in this fight.
    So yea, this game is most certainly worth playing, even if you don't own a PS3. Borrow it from a friend or something, but make sure you experience it. There is nothing out there quite like it. It makes you smile, it makes you cry, it makes you despair and it makes you hope. 10/10
  26. Jun 24, 2013
    There is one really annoying flaw with this game. Whenever you are trying to stealthily hide behind objects to remain obscured from the antagonists, Ellie runs around right in front of them undected! Another flaw is that when Joel has a gun equipped and goes for his melee weapon the gun vanishes into thin air which is stupid. Ok so there is the bad. Everything other than that more thanThere is one really annoying flaw with this game. Whenever you are trying to stealthily hide behind objects to remain obscured from the antagonists, Ellie runs around right in front of them undected! Another flaw is that when Joel has a gun equipped and goes for his melee weapon the gun vanishes into thin air which is stupid. Ok so there is the bad. Everything other than that more than makes up for those flaws. This game has a great story. It is very engaging and paced along superbly. The characters are cool. The weapon system is easy and fun to use. There are some genuine scares. PLEASE NAUGHTY DOG....THE LAST OF US 2!!!!! Expand
  27. Jun 17, 2013
    I just finished this game on hard (about to start it on survivor), and it blew me away. Everything about The Last of us is crisp and clean. The gameplay is stellar and will have you're heart racing with intense moments around every corner. Needles to say, the voice acting and story are what really stand out about it. If you aren't moved by this game then there may be something wrong withI just finished this game on hard (about to start it on survivor), and it blew me away. Everything about The Last of us is crisp and clean. The gameplay is stellar and will have you're heart racing with intense moments around every corner. Needles to say, the voice acting and story are what really stand out about it. If you aren't moved by this game then there may be something wrong with you. Anyways, if you have a ps3 and don't have this game, go get it. NOW. You won't regret it. $60 well spent. Oh and the multiplayer is icing on the cake. I'm having loads of fun with it too. I can't wait until some of my friends get this to play it with me. Expand
  28. Jun 17, 2013
    This is definitely a contender for Game of the Year, never have I cried in a video game... until now. The Last of Us is a brilliant story that evokes emotion like an Oscar winning film. Spanning approximately fifteen hours of singleplayer story; the game never got dull. Gameplay mechanics involve scavenging and crafting items in the post-apocalyptic world, and combating human and mutantThis is definitely a contender for Game of the Year, never have I cried in a video game... until now. The Last of Us is a brilliant story that evokes emotion like an Oscar winning film. Spanning approximately fifteen hours of singleplayer story; the game never got dull. Gameplay mechanics involve scavenging and crafting items in the post-apocalyptic world, and combating human and mutant enemies. Visually... this is the best looking game on PS3 that I've ever played, and the music (although minimal) compliments it perfectly.

But where this game shines... is the characters, Joel and Ellie feel like real people who must embark on a mission against incredible odds, meeting other well-realized characters along the way (I'm staying vague so I don't spoil anything.)
  29. Jun 16, 2013
    As a gamer for many years and across multiple platforms, I simply cannot fault this game. The graphics, story, tension and excitement from this game is simply the best. Naughty Dog have cemented the standards we should expect from developers and The Last of Us is simple the greatest game of this generation. Buy this game and you will not be disappointed. 10/10 in every aspect.
  30. Jun 16, 2013
    The Last of Us is the only game I've ever played where I've truly felt like one wrong misstep or one missed bullet could cost me my life. Naughty Dog truly achieved creating a perfect survival game from scavenging houses for a couple bullets to get you through the next encounter to searching frantically for wraps and alcohol to create a health kit to patch yourself up from the previousThe Last of Us is the only game I've ever played where I've truly felt like one wrong misstep or one missed bullet could cost me my life. Naughty Dog truly achieved creating a perfect survival game from scavenging houses for a couple bullets to get you through the next encounter to searching frantically for wraps and alcohol to create a health kit to patch yourself up from the previous encounter. But while I could rant all day about the level of perfection that Naughty Dog achieved with the game play, I also should touch on the story. Anyone who's played Naughty Dog's previous installments of the Uncharted series knows that the developer can piece together a fantastic, weaving story that can be at times heart wrenching. Somehow, they exceeded all of the already high expectations that I had set for the story of this game. From losing loved ones to exacting revenge, this game covers every emotion known to man during a whirlwind of a 14 hour campaign that you will want to come back to. The final thing to touch on is the multi-player that I can't quite find myself capable of putting down. Each human encounter in an online match is formed not just as a fight for your life, but also a fight for the survival of your unseen clan that you are gathering food, supplies and medicine for. There is the standard perk system that everyone has come to know and love since Call of Duty and also a weapon upgrade system that makes you find a squared balance between your capabilities to sneak or fight.

In summation, this game deserves every individual point on the 10 system scale that I've assigned to it. If you own a PlayStation 3, buy this game. If you do not own a PlayStation 3, then go to your local game shop to buy one along with a copy of this game.
  31. Jun 16, 2013
    I have been a fan of Naughty Dog's games ever since Jak and Daxter came out for the PS2 back in 2001. This made my expectations very high for The Last of Us, and I have to say it did not let me down. The game is near perfect on almost every level. The graphics are the best the PS3 has to offer; Or any current GEN console as a matter of fact. The gameplay is solid and gritty and keeps youI have been a fan of Naughty Dog's games ever since Jak and Daxter came out for the PS2 back in 2001. This made my expectations very high for The Last of Us, and I have to say it did not let me down. The game is near perfect on almost every level. The graphics are the best the PS3 has to offer; Or any current GEN console as a matter of fact. The gameplay is solid and gritty and keeps you on the edge of the seat the whole time. The first 15 minutes of The Last of Us are so engaging and make you emotionally attached to characters within a matter of minutes. Throughout The Last of Us you will be fighting two types of Enemies humans and infected with your AI companion Ellie. Ellie is not your typical AI getting in your way while trying to fight enemies. She is a character that you grow to care for and provides help in battles. The Last of Us is graphically stunning and in some moments will have me stop and stare at my surrounding environments. The story takes you to several environments and will make it hard to put the controller down. The story is divided by seasons and each section changes and adds new aspects to the game. The only thing bad I have to say about this game is that sometimes AI will run around a clicker and not get noticed, but if I crawl slowly around it'll get me killed. This in no way ruins the game, it is still an amazing experience. Anyone who gives this game a negative review is a Microsoft fan boy that is mad because the Xbox One got overshadowed by the PS4. While this game is not for everyone because of it strong violence it's still can be appreciated because of it's fantastic story telling and graphics that make the game so immersive. If you have even thought about picking up The Last of Us, go do it now! It is an experience that cannot be found anywhere else in gaming and Is safe to say that it's my GOTY. Expand
  32. Jul 11, 2013
    The intro got me instantly. The characters are so awesome right from the start. Then I feared the developers may have just made a good intro to impress people... but after a short time the characters and the story evolved in a way that was absolutely intriguing.
    The setting isn't actually that complicated or innovative... but it's executed perfectly. The protagonist's character development and background story are amazing. Way better than what I've seen in some films lately. Great stuff!
  33. Jul 11, 2013
    Naughty Dog has taken their years of experience dating back to Crash Bandicoot, through Rachet and Clank, Resistence and Uncharted to create their masterpiece, The Last Of Us (Us United States? sure, why not). Although not as revolutionary as games like LA Noire or Heavy Rain, The Last Of Us takes what has worked in the past, the visual tracking of Batman, the multi choice strategy ofNaughty Dog has taken their years of experience dating back to Crash Bandicoot, through Rachet and Clank, Resistence and Uncharted to create their masterpiece, The Last Of Us (Us United States? sure, why not). Although not as revolutionary as games like LA Noire or Heavy Rain, The Last Of Us takes what has worked in the past, the visual tracking of Batman, the multi choice strategy of Uncharted, the ease of weapon maintenence from R & C and Resistence, and has refined them to create as damn close to a perfect game as I've played. Following Dead Island and the Walking Dead games, the idea of another "zombie" game sounded stale. But it's the execution that makes all the difference. When engaged in combat, the situations change, so its not just running errands and killing waves of enemies. At one instance, you may be holding off a pack of zombies in a siege type situation. Next you may be sharpshooting enemies to protect your partners. Mostly you be sneaking around, stealthily killing and/or setting up traps. The graphics and atmosphere (changing with the seasons, nice touch) are spot on, and the acting is among the best. I've played it through once, and halfway through now, and it remains an enjoyable gaming experience. Expand
  34. Jul 13, 2013
    Simply the best game I have played in over 25 years of gaming. This game is the complete package, story to rival any hollywood blockbuster, action to rival the best of 3rd person shooters.
  35. Jul 14, 2013
    Start of review
    ============ This game is one of the crown jewels of PlayStation 3, and in the PlayStation-franchise. Quite frankly, I believe it to be the greatest game I have ever played, and I have played some good games, such as BioShock and so on. Let's break down why it is so amazing, in my honest opinion, shall we? Wouldn't want to seem like giving opinions
    Start of review
    ============

Let's break down why it is so amazing, in my honest opinion, shall we? Wouldn't want to seem like giving opinions without reasoning. Alright.

Game analysis
    ================

Story: Most likely in the Top 3 of all-time game stories. I don't know that many story-based games, but it indeed equals games such as The Walking Dead (Telltale) in terms of story. It is up to the player that whether you prefer The Last of Us or TWD. Crucial plot points are certain to make you at least have wet eyes, if not shed tears at least in the first time you are playing.

Characters: Greatest characters of any games I have played. The journey they go through, make you immersed of it. Especially certain optional conversations, dialogue, and the actions Ellie makes just make you want to protect her. Even if she was only a video game character. You can't be annoyed of Ellie, unless you have a specific reason to hate teenage girls. Because of that, plot points can sometimes even shock/mesmerize you, which hasn't occurred to me in any game before.

Also the side characters you encounter during the game, make you feel like they actually were not side characters at all. They are just so well done.

Gameplay: Hmh. This is a topic many people consider to be the weak link of The Last of Us. I think it is alright. Sure, there are bugs that can interfere with the immersion, but those bugs were practically non-existent for me. Unless you're trying to have the game bashed any means necessary, you will be entertained by the game mechanics.

AI: This is something people are also curious about. And now, let me explain. The reason Friendly AI is not visible to enemies, is that you would be annoyed how you are seen for silly AI actions. It was a Naughty Dog decision to implement it invisible, because of the reason said earlier. Sure, they could make/have made it visible to enemies, but then everyone would be enraged on how they're seen due to companions.

Stealth AI is pretty good. Seeing a Metal Gear Solid-veteran say in a site that it was good even on his scale, I guess that it's alright when it's not bugged. Combat AI is probably one of the best in there, likely surpassing games like Far Cry 3 or Arkham City. But that is just my opinion.

Graphics: So, some people have claimed the graphics are not as good as in e.g. Uncharted 2-3? Perhaps. But there is a reason the graphics can be slightly downgraded because everything is supposed to be left without care for 20 years. Just like from BioShock to BioShock 2, BioShock 2 had slightly more decayed/corrupted feel to it for a reason.

Overall: The game is immersive, story is top-notch and probably one of the best of generation, graphics are so good that some of the older PS3's have been reported to crash sometimes, characters and their development are most likely the best in PS3 and the entire current-gen.

If you like post-apocalyptic survival (horror horror in brackets because horror feel isn't that often there) games with one of the best and fun characters of gaming as your Friendly AI companion, I suggest you get this game.
    The bug reports you may have encountered do not happen that often, never happened to me and some of friends telling they have not experienced major game-breaking bugs either.

Awards and such
    Expectation for Spike VGA Game of the Year
    Expectation for multiple GOTY Awards from different sites
    Expectation for Character of the Year for Ellie
    Personal award for Best Game of Generation
    Personal award for Best Game of PlayStation Exclusives in entirety
  36. Jun 16, 2013
    I'll keep this brief.
    Story: 10 A tale of two people forced to care for each other on a journey that carries them through the depths of humanity and the beauty of friendship. That's all I can really say without giving it away but it's a yarn worth hearing.
    I'll keep this brief.
    Graphics: 10 The best graphics you will find on any console anywhere but more importantly, those graphics are put to use in all the best ways bringing alive an overgrown wasteland with stunning lighting, rich foliage, and so-real-it's-eerie character models.
    Sound: 9.5 The music is appropriate and accentuates the quiet moments with soulful guitar and the loud moments with tense orchestral pieces. The voice-acting is second to none truly giving the script the grounding it needed. My only gripe is that sometimes sound effect will abruptly stop and start during parts of the game.
    Gameplay: 9.5 Desperation is the name of the game and you never forget it. Conserve your ammunition if you can by stealthily avoiding the games varied foes so that when it hits the fan, you can hit back. The aiming is spotty but that just ratchets up the intensity when you've got a mob after you. Would've liked a better way of knowing whether you were going to be spotted though. Sometimes you feel you've done everything right only to have some guy notice you from 300 yards away.
    Value: 10 You've got an amazing 15 hour quest you'll want to experience a second time in NG+ in addition to a surprisingly well put together multiplayer. I've only played a couple of matches but every time it was truly exciting.
    Overall: Incredible. If you like video games, you've got to play this. Don't listen to the reviews who are trying to be "different" and go play one of the best games of this console generation.
  37. Jun 16, 2013
    This might be my favorite game of this generation. Huge Uncharted fan but this bests it. Better combat and better platforming on top of a fun upgrade system. Not an open world game but much more open than the very linear Uncharted. Fun exploring looking for collectables. Great length of game that will keep you busy for a while. Multiplayer is kinda of slow and chunky but can be fun for aThis might be my favorite game of this generation. Huge Uncharted fan but this bests it. Better combat and better platforming on top of a fun upgrade system. Not an open world game but much more open than the very linear Uncharted. Fun exploring looking for collectables. Great length of game that will keep you busy for a while. Multiplayer is kinda of slow and chunky but can be fun for a short burst but it isn't the draw of the game. Must buy!!! Expand
  38. Jun 16, 2013
    This game is just amazing. Multiplayer is amazing, Single Player is great. I can't believe the user rate was 8.8 it should be at least 9.4 IMHO. BUY THIS GAME!!!
  39. Jun 16, 2013
    Naughty Dog brought us the Uncharted Trilogy and now they bring us this gripping tale of survival. Naughty Dog don't just develop games, they develop stories first. Stories so gripping they leave the gamer with a lot more to enjoy than just a bunch of puzzles and adrenaline rush.

This is not just the Game of the Year in my books, this is a shift in gaming. It has brought realness into the gaming world at a time when every gamer was craving for something more. In truth there are few that can hold a candle to it in it's genre.

If you are looking for quality, value for your money then this is one of the best games to buy and keep for generations to come so they can see when it all changed.
  40. Jun 16, 2013
    Words cannot begin to describe what an amazing journey this game takes you on. Let me start with the most crucial element in games: game play. This game's combat is extremely satisfying. From brutal melee kills, to perfectly balanced gun-play, and amazing stealth sequences, this game delivers on all fronts. My favorite part in this game was the story. It was truly a monumental tale ofWords cannot begin to describe what an amazing journey this game takes you on. Let me start with the most crucial element in games: game play. This game's combat is extremely satisfying. From brutal melee kills, to perfectly balanced gun-play, and amazing stealth sequences, this game delivers on all fronts. My favorite part in this game was the story. It was truly a monumental tale of trying to find something to fight for in a world that's lost everything. The heart wrenching prologue even threatened to bring a tear to my eye. The entire reason that I own a PlayStation 3 is the trailer shown for this game at the 2012 VGA's. The lack of ammo and the scavenging for any little thing to help you, along with the fact that the infected aren't your biggest threat, gave me the most authentic "zombie apocalypse" experience of any game that came before it. If possible, this game would've been rated 100/10. Expand
  41. Jun 16, 2013
    Fantastic game, really is able to grasp you and pull you in emotionally from the very beginning. The combat is fun and really makes you think, use your resources wisely and strategize your attacks. This makes for edge of your seat addictive gameplay. Dont even think about popping off shots and running around. You will get shot and getting shot causes your character to stagger backwardsFantastic game, really is able to grasp you and pull you in emotionally from the very beginning. The combat is fun and really makes you think, use your resources wisely and strategize your attacks. This makes for edge of your seat addictive gameplay. Dont even think about popping off shots and running around. You will get shot and getting shot causes your character to stagger backwards making you very vulnerable.

The multiplayer is also addictive. Brings a sense of hunt or be hunted. You die easily so you must be careful as there are not unlimited respawns. There are a variety of play styles available and customization is nice. And team work is very important and so far I have had very cooperative smart players on my team.

Go get this game now, easily one of the best games of this generation woth graphics ushering in the next gen almost to well.
  42. Jun 16, 2013
    Now, I don't usually play single-player games, but I had heard many great things about this one. It has to be by far the best campaign I have played of any game. Not only was it character driven, but simply showed you what the current generation of consoles, especially the PS3, can still do. I'm a PC gamer myself, so I had a lot of expectations for this. Yes, the graphics aren't comparableNow, I don't usually play single-player games, but I had heard many great things about this one. It has to be by far the best campaign I have played of any game. Not only was it character driven, but simply showed you what the current generation of consoles, especially the PS3, can still do. I'm a PC gamer myself, so I had a lot of expectations for this. Yes, the graphics aren't comparable to what they would look like on a gaming PC, however for how old the PS3 actually is, you really have to be ignorant to deny that the graphics didn't look stunning in the game. Everything from things on the table such as CD racks, bean bags, and other common household items were given so much detail, even though it wasn't needed. It really adds that extra "oomph" to the game. Now to talk about the game-play itself, speechless. I am usually one to criticize games very quickly about how fake something is, or how how something doesn't look fun, or whatever it may be. However I did not feel that way about this game at all. Most people who gave this game a low score either weren't interested in the story at all, or just simply wanted to beat another game so they can say that they finished it. Though, you have to play the game on hard difficulty to get the full experience, because anything less doesn't do the game justice. To end it, Joel and Ellie feel like real characters, characters that you know and can easily connect to. They bring you into their lives almost as if you're right next to them the whole time. It's truly a masterpiece, and it will go down in history as one of the greatest feats of the gaming industry. None of this would have been possible if it weren't for Naughty Dog, props to your whole team for making one of the best games I have ever played! Expand
  43. Jun 16, 2013
    This game is a masterpiece. I don't know how else to put it. Much like Telltale Games' hit The Walking Dead, this game focuses on a character-driven story. These characters are, in true Naughty Dog fashion, brought to life by sharp visuals, spot-on voice acting, and abundantly clever writing. From start to finish, these character interactions never feel forced or out of place. Why elseThis game is a masterpiece. I don't know how else to put it. Much like Telltale Games' hit The Walking Dead, this game focuses on a character-driven story. These characters are, in true Naughty Dog fashion, brought to life by sharp visuals, spot-on voice acting, and abundantly clever writing. From start to finish, these character interactions never feel forced or out of place. Why else would I have played it almost nonstop over the weekend? Sure, the story isn't anything new apocalyptic stories are a dime a dozen nowadays but the way in which it's told is what you come for. People seeking yet another brainless point-and-shoot FPS won't like it, but who cares about them.

In terms of gameplay, the controls are similar to Uncharted, but overall the game encourages you to play as if it's Metal Gear Solid. You can sneak around and completely avoid enemy engagements, or just go ahead and kill them either stealthily or loudly if you've been spotted. Each engagement also takes place in a surprisingly open arena; there are multiple paths that you can take to sneak up behind or flank your enemies, as well as set traps or just look for a way out. Throughout the many stages you'll find a variety of items that you can use to craft makeshift weapons, replenish your first aid kit supply, or upgrade your guns. And once you've gone through the game's story, you can start a New Game Plus, where you start with all of the upgrades and bonuses you had at the end of your recent playthrough, something I'm just now trying out.

And my impression is without having tried the multiplayer mode. You know you game is d*mn good when the single player alone will almost perpetually keep you busy.

Lastly, be sure to completely ignore most if not all of the negative user reviews. Most of what I saw compared The Last of Us to Bioshock Infinite, which is incredibly idiotic on those users' parts as these games aren't even the same genre, and most of them are likely adolescent Call of Duty fans that demand that a game hold their hand and tell them exactly what button to press for every waking moment that the game is on.
  44. Jun 17, 2013
    10 out of 10 what else can i say for this masterpiece! The story is amazingly well-written and the game is as it should have been.I mean that you feel the loss of a deceased person and also you live the game as you feel the same emotions with your character like the agony the sadness etc.Τhe combat system is fairly good but the stealth is not rewarding and worth doing.All in all this game10 out of 10 what else can i say for this masterpiece! The story is amazingly well-written and the game is as it should have been.I mean that you feel the loss of a deceased person and also you live the game as you feel the same emotions with your character like the agony the sadness etc.Τhe combat system is fairly good but the stealth is not rewarding and worth doing.All in all this game is one of the best out there and i enjoyed all the 16 hours i spent playing it's storyline. Expand
  45. Aug 2, 2013
    The Last of Us 10/10.................................................................................................................................
  46. Aug 1, 2013
    This game had me so enthralled that I felt compelled to write a brief review. I have played many games in my life and I can honestly say this is the best. No game in my estimation has ever merged story, gameplay, environment, cinematics, and graphics so harmoniously than TLOU has done. I must say I entered this game with little to no knowledge of it beforehand except a trailer that caughtThis game had me so enthralled that I felt compelled to write a brief review. I have played many games in my life and I can honestly say this is the best. No game in my estimation has ever merged story, gameplay, environment, cinematics, and graphics so harmoniously than TLOU has done. I must say I entered this game with little to no knowledge of it beforehand except a trailer that caught my attention and really had no expectations other than it being like uncharted it had to be at least half way good.

Let me tell you, you will never encounter a more engrossing intro than what this game has in store for you. It has all the excitement and tension to prepare you for the ride to come and hits you with an emotional blow that will leave you as wounded and in search of meaning as the protagonist. The game has a remarkable realness to it that has you very much intrigued throughout the game. It's loaded with intense, frightening encounters contrasted with slow subtle moments of reflection and exploration. The fighting mechanics are well crafted as well as all the survival tactics and the way the difficulty is engineered in the game you will have to make calculated and intelligent moves to proceed in the game instead of the usual run and gun with loads of ammo scenarios. Both the human and infected opponents present their own unique challenges which you have to adjust for and this is no exaggeration, the infected will frighten you especially if you turn off the listening mode, turn that off trust me. The environment is another selling point for this game, you can spend hours just looking at all the nuances of this desolate, hopeless, and ruined world, clamoring to find remnants of humanity, it's an experience just walking through the various backdrops. To cut things short and I can write pages on this game which I won't, I want to write on it's strongest point, the story and the way it both enhances the gameplay and vice versa. Behind this magnificent game, is one of the most beautiful stories told in any form of media. The story of humanity enduring and surviving despite the most dire of circumstances, when the whole world has gone to hell, two people significantly different from one another find themselves building one of the most loving relationships you will ever witness. In a world full of violence and corruption, love is the strongest force binding us together enabling us to endure and survive and this game brilliantly explores this emotion. Like a loved one, this game certainly has some minor issues but they do not detract from the greatness that is this game as a whole so I won't comment on them. I'm afraid of giving anything away about this game and I think this game is best played without knowing too much about it but then again I have played this game 3 times now with each time giving me satisfaction. I will end with this, this game will haunt you, not in the sense of horror, but in the sense that it will never leave you, it will stay with you, it's characters will forever leave an imprint on you and once you have completed this game and seen it's powerful outro, you will have a hard time saying goodbye.Not to reek of hyperbole The last of us will go down in history as one of the best artistic works of this generation. Many games have had great heroes but Joel and Ellie seem to be the most real therefore the most captivating and though the idea of flesh eating zombies is beyond reality, this remains one of the realest games I've ever played. Cliches aside, The Last of Us is more than a game, its an experience and one you will not soon forget. Endure and survive!
  47. Aug 4, 2013
    Superb work of art. You rarely come across a game with such marvellous storytelling. The gameplay is really fun and challenging and the presentation of the game is the best I've seen to date.
    This game is a must-have to every gamer.
  48. Aug 9, 2013
    A masterpiece. The only fault that anyone can criticism in the current generation is the occasional bug in-game and with AI, anyone can easily look past these rare petty occurrences and see a brilliant game.

You are reviewing a game that transcends the current bar of video games, a combination of Art, Design and Technology. To review a game in comparison, with clear bias or without evidence is an insult to the 100s of people that have put the time and effort into creating one of (if not) the best game of this generation.

Anything below a 9 clearly has some form of biased or opinionated statement.

Anything below an 8 is clearly an invalid opinion, based of emotions and favoritism. Disregard it completely.
  49. Oct 5, 2013
    No wonder why naughty dog is called the best developer.From story to multiplayer this game is mind blowing.Story is really touching and emotional. Characters are amazing especially ellie This games world is very well detailed and never will you feel that you have been in the same place twice. Game play is diverse Stealth,Flanking or straight combat and each action has consequencesNo wonder why naughty dog is called the best developer.From story to multiplayer this game is mind blowing.Story is really touching and emotional. Characters are amazing especially ellie This games world is very well detailed and never will you feel that you have been in the same place twice. Game play is diverse Stealth,Flanking or straight combat and each action has consequences crafting is really good .it feels so amazing i never even blinked throughout the game i was overwhelmed with sadness and i felt like i was there protecting ellie Graphics are amazing just what you expect however AI problems were there but not too frequently.MP is fun and amazing and has a lot of strategy involved. Really riveting MUST PLAY!!! Expand
  50. Oct 20, 2013
    I've bought this game when it was released and finished it in a couple of days.. And i just can't shake it off. Even after drowning myself in the newest Gta, tomb raider, bioshock, beyond two souls and saints row. This game is still the best game of this generation. No matter what anyone says the characters are perfect, the voice acting is perfect, the story was perfect, the gameplay wasI've bought this game when it was released and finished it in a couple of days.. And i just can't shake it off. Even after drowning myself in the newest Gta, tomb raider, bioshock, beyond two souls and saints row. This game is still the best game of this generation. No matter what anyone says the characters are perfect, the voice acting is perfect, the story was perfect, the gameplay was innovative and perfect. I just can't stop fanboying in the presence of this remarkable game. You actually feel like you're in the game. You feel emotionally attached to the characters, the twists and the story. After playing the last uncharted game i thought it wasn't going to be all that great but this game proved me wrong and is surely shawshank of gaming. Nothing less. I'm putting this right beside my favourite games- chrono trigger, okami, half life, final fantasy, Re4, zelda etc. It deserves to have a spot on anyone's top 5, easily. I've never felt so bad in my life for the people that haven't played this game. It's a masterpiece. Expand
  51. Mar 11, 2014
    All good games I play naked while either rubbing Melted cheese whizz all over my body or peanut body.... The Last of Us was ne of those games where I got to put away my torture devices that I use on myself during gaming, and bring out the penis pump... I like to stay rock hard when I play this game... clickers make me tick..... Im late n the review because I gathered 2000 rats and I playedAll good games I play naked while either rubbing Melted cheese whizz all over my body or peanut body.... The Last of Us was ne of those games where I got to put away my torture devices that I use on myself during gaming, and bring out the penis pump... I like to stay rock hard when I play this game... clickers make me tick..... Im late n the review because I gathered 2000 rats and I played this game naked with them rats while they nawed on my flesh.... it was beautiful......Left behind... that was good too... I saw the word "behind" in the title so I figured Id stick a cucumber up my ass while I played it... Pretty good game if I do say so myself.. Expand
  52. Mar 21, 2014
    Naughty Dog has done it again! Another masterpiece that I'm thankful I played all throughout. The story is what makes this game really good, the characters are well developed along with the great voice acting, but the gameplay is great as well. A mix of Uncharted and Resident Evil I must say. The multiplayer is unique and heart pumping! But the game itself is worth buying just for theNaughty Dog has done it again! Another masterpiece that I'm thankful I played all throughout. The story is what makes this game really good, the characters are well developed along with the great voice acting, but the gameplay is great as well. A mix of Uncharted and Resident Evil I must say. The multiplayer is unique and heart pumping! But the game itself is worth buying just for the campaign mode. A must-play Expand
  53. Aug 16, 2016
    The Last of Us is an action-adventure survival horror video game developed by Naughty Dog and published by Sony Computer Entertainment.

The Last of Us is the Best Game I've Ever Played.

+ Awesome Story
    + All Characters are Well Written
    + Emotional and Sad at the Same Time
    + Joel and Ellie
  54. Jun 17, 2013
    The Last of Us is simply a wonder to behold. Joel, Ellie and all ancillary characters are the most developed characters I've ever had the pleasure of encountering in a video game. This is not only the best game to be released during this generation of consoles but maybe the best piece of media as well. Bravo Naughty Dog. I can't get enough of this masterpiece.
  55. Jun 15, 2013
    2 words: the story. This is probably the single best storyline I'very ever experienced in a videogame. The story is without a doubt what makes this game great. The character depth is unparalleled... the voice acting is full of emotion. It just works. And then there's the visuals. Say what you like, but there aren't any console games who's graphics and overall atmosphere can surpass The2 words: the story. This is probably the single best storyline I'very ever experienced in a videogame. The story is without a doubt what makes this game great. The character depth is unparalleled... the voice acting is full of emotion. It just works. And then there's the visuals. Say what you like, but there aren't any console games who's graphics and overall atmosphere can surpass The Last of Us. And finally the gameplay... it's realistic. Personally, I thoroughly enjoy the desperation of it allnand how challenging it can be. If you don't like it, I suppose I can understand why, its Nothing shockingly new. For me though, the depth of this story and the polished feel of the game cannot be anything less than a 9.5/10 Expand
  56. Jun 16, 2013
    Hard to play it might be at most times, this game really captures what a survivor feels like. You always have to be on your foot on your supplies and come with the best survival strategy. This game is just amazing.
  57. Jun 16, 2013
    Few times have I been so on edge and so focused on a game and its storyline. The Last of Us is EXCEPTIONAL in its presentation. The acting (voice and animation) is of award-winning quality, and the story is one of the deepest and most touching I have ever experienced in a video game. The game isn’t easy, and the gameplay can be frustrating every now and then, but it’s worth it.
  58. Jun 16, 2013
    Definitely one of the most gut-wrenchingly awesome games I've ever played, right next to Half-Life, and BioShock. I knew going in that this game was going to be special, what with IGN gushing about it for weeks. But I never expected how grabbing and immersing this game is. I didn't cry at any point, in case you're wondering, but I certainly felt I was going to at many points where I foundDefinitely one of the most gut-wrenchingly awesome games I've ever played, right next to Half-Life, and BioShock. I knew going in that this game was going to be special, what with IGN gushing about it for weeks. But I never expected how grabbing and immersing this game is. I didn't cry at any point, in case you're wondering, but I certainly felt I was going to at many points where I found myself floored by a well-written and gut-wrenching story moment.

Great voice acting, graphics, music, sound effects, animations, character design, even the gameplay which still freaks me out a little bit. Anyone who gives this game less than a 9 either hasn't played through to the end or hasn't played at all, or they simply didn't get it. Best game of 2013, either this or BioShock Infinite so far.
  59. Jun 16, 2013
    This game is the reason why i game. It isn't particularly "fun" but it isn't trying to be. This game is a thrilling and captivating experience. It is really emotional and immerse. The amount of polish that went into this is clearly visible and brings the world to life in ways you can't imagine. Whether its Joel putting pressure on a recently acquired wound of him bandaging his arm toThis game is the reason why i game. It isn't particularly "fun" but it isn't trying to be. This game is a thrilling and captivating experience. It is really emotional and immerse. The amount of polish that went into this is clearly visible and brings the world to life in ways you can't imagine. Whether its Joel putting pressure on a recently acquired wound of him bandaging his arm to regain health, there are very detailed and realistic animations throughout the game. The story is fantastic and the prologue sets the tone for the amazing tale. Shooting and overall gameplay is raw, brutal, and exciting. One of the top three games i have ever played. Only on Playstation. Expand
  60. Jul 14, 2013
    The best game of this generation on any format, and the best game I have personally ever played. The game mechanics are spot on, it's fun and challenging (unless you play on easy) and the story and characters are easily movie worthy. Genuinely felt more for the characters than 99% of apocalypse movies. Great ending leaving me desperate for more. The multiplayer is even worth a whirl!The best game of this generation on any format, and the best game I have personally ever played. The game mechanics are spot on, it's fun and challenging (unless you play on easy) and the story and characters are easily movie worthy. Genuinely felt more for the characters than 99% of apocalypse movies. Great ending leaving me desperate for more. The multiplayer is even worth a whirl! Must buy! Expand
  61. Jul 30, 2013
    Great game and great storytelling. The gameplay has a few flaws and it feels very predictable, but for the genre, it was a fantastic interpretation and worth the time spent.
  62. Jun 18, 2013
    This game had me hooked right from the start. Amazing character development with characters that I actually care about. The environments are some of the most beautiful I've ever seen. I haven't been this obsessed with a game, ever. It is a piece of art that will be remembered not just as one of the finest games ever created, but one of the finest stories ever told.
  63. Jun 23, 2013
    Games that take place in a post-apocalyptic world and games about zombies are pretty common these days. It may be easy to write off The Last of Us as another zombie apocalypse game but it is much more than that. The story revolves around the outbreak of a mysterious fungus that infects humans and turns them into violent zombies (called the “Infected” but same premise). The pandemic hasGames that take place in a post-apocalyptic world and games about zombies are pretty common these days. It may be easy to write off The Last of Us as another zombie apocalypse game but it is much more than that. The story revolves around the outbreak of a mysterious fungus that infects humans and turns them into violent zombies (called the “Infected” but same premise). The pandemic has resulted in the decimation of humanity as we know it. Twenty years after the outbreak, civilized society has deteriorated and the world has become a dangerous place. Various zombies stalk the land and threaten all living beings. The few remaining humans are forced to choose between being imprisoned into militarized quarantine zones for safety or live on the outside and fight for their survival by any means necessary. There are no morals in this world. As Joel, your job will be to survive the chaotic world and escort a young girl name Ellie to a group of rebels. (Luckily, Ellie is not the typical escort victim and almost always takes care of herself and even helps Joel.) The two make an odd pair but the evolution of their bond is one of the most captivating things about the game. The story, delivered by some fantastic voice actors and cinematic cut-scenes, paints a ruthless future for mankind. Due to the nature of the world, the gameplay revolves around the concept of survival. It is an unforgiving world and you will need to fight strategically if you want to live. Supplies are scare and dangers are plentiful. This is one a game where "run and gun" rarely works and stealth plays a very important role. The combat is tense and unforgiving at first, but you will be eased into it in the early stages. It is a satisfying experience once you get the hang of it. A notable aspect of combat is that enemies are completely oblivious to your companions when they run within enemy sight or make audible noise. This was a development design to prevent frustrations from poor AI, though it does hurt the immersion a bit. Visually, the game is arguably one of the best looking console games ever made and is complimented by a minimalistic but atmospheric soundtrack. Exploring the beautiful, decayed world reveals the stories of a once thriving population now on the brink of extinction. There are some minor graphical glitches and a few rare instances of missing sound effects, but these flaws are easily ignorable. Taken as a whole, the game paints a brutally honest and realistic post-apocalyptic future for mankind. It is an engrossing adventure and one where you will feel a range of emotions. From the chaotic introduction to the dark ending, The Last of Us draws you in and sends you on a brutal, thought provoking adventure that leaves its mark on the player. Expand
  64. Jun 16, 2013
    This game truly innovates at its own pace, the story is compelling, the graphics are stunning and the game design immerses you in a daunting post apocalyptic future.
  65. Jun 17, 2013
    The best game i have ever played.
    Almost every part of this game is incredible.
    Beautiful graphics and environments, stunning cutscenes that almost make you forget that its a game. Perfect gameplay. Nothing is complicated, and its always varied. There is unlimited ways to approach most of the combat sections of the game, stealth, guns blazing, evasion. You can do it however you want,
    The best game i have ever played.
    Almost every part of this game is incredible.

Perfect gameplay. Nothing is complicated, and its always varied. There is unlimited ways to approach most of the combat sections of the game, stealth, guns blazing, evasion. You can do it however you want, and it never feels repetitive.

The characters are possibly the best a game has had, voice acting/cutscenes and the way the story is told make this game feel incredibly real. I felt genuinely attached to what happened and really cared about the story.
  66. Jun 15, 2013
    This game is really beautiful, I'm not disappointed naughty dog's. Graphics, gameplay, characters, he gives everything it's really fun i love this game
  67. Jun 15, 2013
    This games is amazing! The game is by no means perfect, but it stands up there with the best. The voice acting and sound effects are superb and graphically its fantastic. Some of the people complaining about them, are you serious! Did you get to see some of the sights later in the game? Naughty Dog has improved almost everything that was slightly off with the uncharted series (all amazingThis games is amazing! The game is by no means perfect, but it stands up there with the best. The voice acting and sound effects are superb and graphically its fantastic. Some of the people complaining about them, are you serious! Did you get to see some of the sights later in the game? Naughty Dog has improved almost everything that was slightly off with the uncharted series (all amazing games) and made this one of this generations best games. Expand
  68. Jun 16, 2013
    Naughty Dog, famous for Crash Bandicoot and Uncharted have entried new ground with The Last of Us, this is complete different compared to their other earlier games. The plot is that a type of virus have made a lot of people infected and they've turned into absurd creatures which are like zombies. There are not that many survivors and all former rules and laws have stopped existing. EveryNaughty Dog, famous for Crash Bandicoot and Uncharted have entried new ground with The Last of Us, this is complete different compared to their other earlier games. The plot is that a type of virus have made a lot of people infected and they've turned into absurd creatures which are like zombies. There are not that many survivors and all former rules and laws have stopped existing. Every day is a fight for survival. One man that definitely knows this is the main-character Joel, he doesn't hesitate a second when comes to killing people to survive.
    After not long at all in the game he meets a girl named Ellie who is very special. After that a dangerous journey begins where Joel and Ellie have to fight for their lives.

The Last of Us has the most wonderful acting and the storytelling is nothing else than superb! Joel and Ellie. This is what makes it one of the finest and best games within its genre. The game looks amazing too, in my opinion it has the best graphics on the Ps3.

The gameplay is great as well. Since it's about survival you don't have that much ammo and your health is not regenerating. This makes the game really interesting since you can't just run into bunch of guys. You basically need to come up with a plan before entering the fight and make a decision whether to kill the guys/ infected with your gun or take them out silently.

But as i've already mentioned the best about this game is the storytelling and the conversations between Joel and Ellie are so good, it almost feels like you're in the game yourself. The acting of the characters is also very realistic.
    With this game Naughty Dog has shown that they're one of the best game-developers in the world and they've set a new standard for game within this genre.

The Last of Us is the best game i've played in a long time and it's arguably the prettiest game on Ps3. A must have if your into these kind of games and have a Ps3.

Have in mind though that it's really violent so if you don't like blood splashing on the screen this isn't for you. Otherwise... Buy It!

69. Jun 16, 2013
    To address most people's fears first, yes things are linear, but it doesn't feel that way. Why? Because everything is beautiful, every piece of broken furniture, glass, tipped car, downed pole, corroded trash can, etc feels like it was placed to make the world feel real, even in the dead ends. The places you do go don't feel like those Scooby Do cels, where the 6 coins that Shaggy willTo address most people's fears first, yes things are linear, but it doesn't feel that way. Why? Because everything is beautiful, every piece of broken furniture, glass, tipped car, downed pole, corroded trash can, etc feels like it was placed to make the world feel real, even in the dead ends. The places you do go don't feel like those Scooby Do cels, where the 6 coins that Shaggy will burst out of from the pile of money that fell on him are brightly colored elements on an otherwise void and dull backdrop setpiece. Everything feels real. Sure, the world is rife with 'chest high cover' but given the theme, setting, and wonderful object population it doesn't feel like Gears of War where caves just happened to slowly build up stalagmites in perfectly staggered military style cover; it's like I would go into a shop and almost want to say "wow, this stool and this tilted vending machine and these shelves would be here and totally look like this!"

The combat is tough and visceral, and the unique approach to stealth (batman sonar aside) in a freaking zombie game mixed with scavenging and survival aspect is done about as well as one can imagine. While the "boss" battle I fought seemed slightly out of place, the rest of the combat has been stellar. Stragglers, military, and zombies all require different tactics, act and react differently, and have astoundingly fierce A.I. Plus there's something of a rush when you realize you have no "grenades" or ammo as a mob of zombies are barreling at you and you realize your only option is to make a molotov on the fly screaming "Oh god come on please faster jesus."

Oh and the characters, god I could go on for hours. Suffice to say this is the best voice acting I have ever, ever heard. Combined with the absurdly detailed and and well, you know Naughty Dog's priorities lay in making you feel like everything is truly real, and make you invested in everything that happens. Each character I have run into so far aside from one early on feels like a unique, multidimensional person that really lives in the setting the game is in, that has been through some scarring crap, and acts as I would expect. They aren't one dimensional caricatures that exist to move the plot along while Hero McBada** takes the spotlight at all times, they aren't husks of a few cobbled personality traits to act as foils or compliments to the protagonists (I don't say good guys, because this game blows away clearly defined lines of heroism in favor of real, true people). I don't feel like I'm just interacting with people just to move from A to B and get through the plot, I feel like I want to meet them all and help them or fight them and interact with them and the plot is there to simply give me a direction in which to travel this absurdly well built world. I... yeah, hours.

I won't write a book about this one but the pacing is also wonderful (after the first hour, after the best prologue in video game history the game goes full stop and spends an hour going from 0 to 5, then ramps to 60 in about thirty minutes).

This game is the nearest thing to a perfect single player adventure I have ever experienced, and I have played a LOT of games.

If you own a PS3 but not this game, do yourself a favor and buy it, or at least rent it. Just do it. If you don't own a PS3, borrow one. I feel like anyone who can give this game a bad review never made it through the first hour, has no soul/feels, or was expecting Left 4 Dead 3 and is mad that there are characters and plot in his or her gore porn.
  70. Jun 16, 2013
    The Last of Us is a masterpiece. You can expect an inconceivable amount of polish, and a complete package. The graphics are better than anything else on PlayStation 3. The soundtrack is ominous, meaningful, and highly orchestrated. Few entertainment experiences can keep you so engaged. Above all, they story rivals many award winning films. (I recommend watching No Country For Old MenThe Last of Us is a masterpiece. You can expect an inconceivable amount of polish, and a complete package. The graphics are better than anything else on PlayStation 3. The soundtrack is ominous, meaningful, and highly orchestrated. Few entertainment experiences can keep you so engaged. Above all, they story rivals many award winning films. (I recommend watching No Country For Old Men before playing this, because of the similarities.)

Even if you aren't a gamer, you have to experience The Last of Us.
  71. Jun 18, 2013
    Oh, man, I haven't played such incredible game in years. The Last of Us isn't only about gaming or even entertainment. It is the complete package of rich and unique experience through the medium of gaming. I was always sceptical about the art of video games because of the vast majority of games having sh**ty storytelling, characters and terrible atmosphere. But, Naught Dog, you are justOh, man, I haven't played such incredible game in years. The Last of Us isn't only about gaming or even entertainment. It is the complete package of rich and unique experience through the medium of gaming. I was always sceptical about the art of video games because of the vast majority of games having sh**ty storytelling, characters and terrible atmosphere. But, Naught Dog, you are just rolling down all my face to prove that I was so wrong about it. Hats off to you all day! Expand
  72. Jun 18, 2013
    Easily my favorite game...ever. There really isn't much else to say except that the journey "The Last of Us" takes you on is epic and heartwarming. Simply just a stunning accomplishment by the team at Naughty Dog. Oh...and did I mention the game is gorgeous!
  73. Jun 15, 2013
    Perfect game by a perfect studio. The Last of Us is a story driven game which sees you go to hell and back. (not literally). The gameplay is smooth and gory which reflects the dark story.
  74. Jun 15, 2013
    One of the best games that I have ever played. The combat system is very realistic for an apocalypse. More than once I found myself taking the stealthy route due to a lack of bullets, which just draws me into the experience even more. Bravo, Naughty Dog, Bravo.
  75. Jun 15, 2013
    This is the kind of experience that solidifies games as art. You cannot argue after playing this that games are not art. This is a beautiful game, both graphically and emotionally. The game play is excellent, but that isn't even the point. The point is the world in which you are immersed in, which is what art is meant to do, to transport you to another place. It does that, more so thanThis is the kind of experience that solidifies games as art. You cannot argue after playing this that games are not art. This is a beautiful game, both graphically and emotionally. The game play is excellent, but that isn't even the point. The point is the world in which you are immersed in, which is what art is meant to do, to transport you to another place. It does that, more so than many books or movies that I have seen. An excellent game. Expand
  76. Jun 17, 2013
    This game is up there with the very best. Everything in this game is exceptional! The voice acting is brilliant, the environments are gorgeous and the emotion is always high and tense.

The best thing about this game though is the relationship that grows between the two main characters of Joel and Ellie. You NEED to buy this game... You won't regret it!
  77. Jun 17, 2013
    There's no words to describe how masterfully crafted this game is; starting from the graphic to the perfect cinematographic cut, the immersive sound, the beautiful story, the engaging characters, everything about The Last of Us screams quality and emotions. An absolute MASTERPIECE.
  78. Jun 17, 2013
    Having completed 1 play through, this is just another one of those outstanding games from Naughty Dog. Of course this is only my opinion and as such, they will vary throughout the gaming circles. However, one thing is crystal clear from doing any search of reviews on the game: The Last of Us is an amazing game. The graphics, sound, acting and story are everything folks have come toHaving completed 1 play through, this is just another one of those outstanding games from Naughty Dog. Of course this is only my opinion and as such, they will vary throughout the gaming circles. However, one thing is crystal clear from doing any search of reviews on the game: The Last of Us is an amazing game. The graphics, sound, acting and story are everything folks have come to expect from Naughty Dog and more. The numbers don't lie, so if say, 690 people (at the time of my review) gave it a positive score and 55 gave it a negative score what does that tell you? Search for reviews on this game and you will find the same results everywhere. Win or lose, The Last of Us will be the 4th consecutive entry (following Uncharted, Uncharted 2 and Uncharted 3) from Naughty Dog to be nominated for game of the year by various mainstream gaming websites. Expand
  79. Jun 17, 2013
    This game is drop dead gorgeous, has incredibly engaging story and some of the most believable characters I've ever encountered in a game. The soundtrack is superb, melancholic and beautiful, the voice acting puts other games to shame. The gameplay awesome. It lets you chose different strategies and playstyles (just sneak past enemies, sneak in and assassinate or all out firefights). TheThis game is drop dead gorgeous, has incredibly engaging story and some of the most believable characters I've ever encountered in a game. The soundtrack is superb, melancholic and beautiful, the voice acting puts other games to shame. The gameplay awesome. It lets you chose different strategies and playstyles (just sneak past enemies, sneak in and assassinate or all out firefights). The crafting system is well thought out and adds to the atmosphere and the rest of the gameplay instead of being an aside.

It just doesn't get better than this. Naughty Dog. Thank you for creating this wonderful experience. You're what other developers should aspire to be.
  80. Jun 17, 2013
    I don't believe that these graphics are from the actual generation...

They're so beautiful and clear and FANTASTIC, near PERFECTION, Naughty Dog once again surprised me with a amazing game, with awesome protagonists and enjoyable story
  81. Jun 17, 2013
    Ok... in the past I have given games 10. After playing this game, I realize I have to go back and take all of the 10s back and give them 7s, 8s, or 9s at best. This game isn't perfect, but it is close. I was fully engrossed in every aspect of the game. Story. Characters. Beautiful graphics. Environment. AMAZING emotion and heart! Anyone giving this game a low score is a fan boy of otherOk... in the past I have given games 10. After playing this game, I realize I have to go back and take all of the 10s back and give them 7s, 8s, or 9s at best. This game isn't perfect, but it is close. I was fully engrossed in every aspect of the game. Story. Characters. Beautiful graphics. Environment. AMAZING emotion and heart! Anyone giving this game a low score is a fan boy of other systems and are just mad that they don't have a PS3. This game is worth the price of a PS3 alone, even right before the release of the PS4. I immediately started it again once I finished it. I have NEVER done that before. I am now declaring this as my favorite game of all time. Sorry RE4 and Bioshock. Expand
  82. Jun 17, 2013
    We face the possible game of the year, perhaps the best of the generation and one more part of the great games in history, along with MGS1 and Zelda Ocarina of Time.

-Great gameplay, different to see in survival games.
    -Awesome story, once you enter, you aren't free.
    -Extraordinary graphics.
    -Good technical section, but with your details.

Do not forget this game. Play it.
  83. Jun 17, 2013
    The best game I've ever played, a true masterpiece from start to finish. This took Uncharted's 2 spot as my favorite game of all time, Naughty Dog continues to wow me with each game they craft, while playing The Last Of Us I felt as if it were just me and the game, nothing else mattered, it was the most immersive game I've ever played. I simply didn't want the game to end, the story, I'veThe best game I've ever played, a true masterpiece from start to finish. This took Uncharted's 2 spot as my favorite game of all time, Naughty Dog continues to wow me with each game they craft, while playing The Last Of Us I felt as if it were just me and the game, nothing else mattered, it was the most immersive game I've ever played. I simply didn't want the game to end, the story, I've never felt this way about a game before. Expand
  84. Jun 18, 2013
    Truly a masterpiece Best. Great. Phenomenal. Brilliant Absolutely amazing. 1010. 100100
    Naughty dog you are best!

I'm done. Thank you very much.
  85. Jun 18, 2013
    The Last of Us is a masterfully crafted work. The story is not about the cross country journey, it is not about the world that the infection has created, its about people. Nowhere have I seen better writing in terms of believable dialogue and character interaction before. To those who have played Uncharted, and are thus doubtful about the constant 10s, rest assured it is a vastly differentThe Last of Us is a masterfully crafted work. The story is not about the cross country journey, it is not about the world that the infection has created, its about people. Nowhere have I seen better writing in terms of believable dialogue and character interaction before. To those who have played Uncharted, and are thus doubtful about the constant 10s, rest assured it is a vastly different feeling. Where uncharted had serious dissonance between the violent and cold blooded Drake and the wacky and charming Drake, The Last of Us informs all of the play through characterization. All of the violence is brutal and harsh, and the game responds to that. It is a tale that only a game could tell, building an admittedly obvious plot into a 17 hour emotional narrative. the game has its moments of intensity, and then falls back into thorough scavenging, a slow walk through exquisitely detailed houses and towns. The flow is finely tuned to perfection, and leaves the player engrossed in the story. In total, The Last of Us is a work of art, one that anyone who enjoys a strong emotional experience should play. Expand
  86. Jun 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What does it mean to be called a masterful game? If you look or play for an hour of The Last of Us, that question might just be answered, hell even the prologue is enough to make you go crying into your pillow. This is the ultimate swan song of this generation, and could easily contend with being the best of them all.
    Naughty Dog, the wonderful creators behind Uncharted, have not created a carbon copy of their best selling franchise, and while there are similarities in terms of gameplay and mechanics, it firmly stands on its own two feet as not only better than Uncharted, but something special that may never be matched again.
    The game is a fully interactive piece of art, kicking off in the current year where we bear witness to a vicious fungal outbreak that 'infects' most of the population, infect or infected being the prime word here, contrary to popular belief, this is not a regular zombie post-apocalyptic flick, for the simple reason that these are not zombies, they are infected human beings as outlined by the creators.
    We assume the role of Joel, a late thirties/early forties man who is the victim of a tragic opening in the game, where we are introduced to what exactly has happened, but its when the game fast forwards 20 years that the full extent of the title is explained, unknown as to who has survived the outbreak and under strict military regime, Joel works as a smuggler for a local band of misfits in a quarantined Boston, but when he is tasked with smuggling a young girl called Ellie across the country, he is initially quite skeptical about going out of his way for this girl that he knows nothing about .
    While they start to traverse across a broken America, their initial awkwardness around each other starts to wear off, and one of the highlights of the game is the conversations that these two have. Ellie, who was born after the outbreak, is in a strange world and often likes to hear about how it used to be her surprise at random stories of the past may just have you questioning your own life and what has been forgotten.
    Taking place across a year, we witness the various seasons and beautiful landscapes and cities that Naughty Dog has created for our two heroes, whatever diverse and rich environment you are in for a particular part of the story, be sure to explore it, simply for the fact that supplies and ammunition are low throughout the game, where choices have to be made in terms of what you can carry and and what you may need to carry.
    As a story, The Last of Us is a true benchmark not only in game storytelling, but in a literary sense it is near perfect. These creatures that attack you are never brushed off with rock music to show any valour in our characters, they realise that these are still people, but of course these infected are a force to be reckoned with, a group called Clickers may just have you being sleepless for a while, these ones have got the worst of the infection, and while they cannot see, the slightest noise you make will alert them and have them chasing you endlessly, the name of them deriving from the sound they make, one of the most dreaded sounds in the game, because not matter what age you may be, this is a frightening and emotionally draining story from start to finish, whether you have to somehow sneak or fight your way through a band of infected, or if your only source of light is a torch clipped to your chest, these are some of the best but most frightening pieces of the game.
    The creators have proved once again that an amount of care and sympathy can be felt for video game characters, Joel and Ellie are the most unlikely duo with the biggest task at hand, and each and every time one of them hit any trouble, there is despair to be felt in case any harm should come to them, we laugh and perhaps cry with them, Ellie isn't able to swim and Joel must go and find something to help her cross, its the little things that give us so much from these characters, a remarkable feat from the makers, they know how bad they have it, and now we must share their pain, with the limited ammo that we have.
    No analysis of multiplayer, I have yet to play it, but for what the game is created for, the story, this is a truly wondrous and phenomenal stroke of genius and creative mastery, an epic tale of survival, loyalty, willpower, loneliness but most of all, friendship. The game is truly breathtaking and will undoubtedly stand the test of time and should deservedly be on everyone's list as one of the best games ever created, because it will certainly not be a forgettable experience.
  87. Jun 23, 2013
    A real masterpiece; the story telling is so mature and breath-taking. I am glad i have bought this piece of art because i would have miss one of the best games ever made (and in the top 3 of this generation). Sony spoils its customers so well; Sony (and Naughty dogs here) are giving the PS3 the final it deserves (there's still "Beyond two souls", an other exclusive, to be released) andA real masterpiece; the story telling is so mature and breath-taking. I am glad i have bought this piece of art because i would have miss one of the best games ever made (and in the top 3 of this generation). Sony spoils its customers so well; Sony (and Naughty dogs here) are giving the PS3 the final it deserves (there's still "Beyond two souls", an other exclusive, to be released) and make us have an early glimpse of what the PS4 will offer us; and we are glad to be on this wonderful trip. Thanks so much for all of this. Expand
  88. Jun 25, 2013
    Best of generation. The story is amazing and tense. Is Naughty Dog/God in your best form. The journey of Joel and Ellie is epic, after all...
    Waiting for the second!
  89. Jul 6, 2013
    This game actually gave me an orgasm. The story is freaking great, the graphics are so brilliant that you seem like in the game itself, the characters and actions are great as well. I couldn't say anything more than an awesome game like this, especially to those horror/action game fans. This is a gaming masterpiece. Brilliant. Freaking awesome.
  90. Jun 16, 2013
    One of the only perfect video games in existence, a true masterpiece. This is one of the best games right alongside Ocarina of Time. Anyone who didn't enjoy this game must have been expecting some run'n'gun Uncharted or COD game, is a raging xbox fanboy who didn't even play the game (read the comments one person actually admits he didn't play the game, but gives it a 0 anyways) or is aOne of the only perfect video games in existence, a true masterpiece. This is one of the best games right alongside Ocarina of Time. Anyone who didn't enjoy this game must have been expecting some run'n'gun Uncharted or COD game, is a raging xbox fanboy who didn't even play the game (read the comments one person actually admits he didn't play the game, but gives it a 0 anyways) or is a complete meathead. Bravo Naughty Dog, bravo. Expand
  91. Jun 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Buy this game, you will absolutely love it. Words cannot express the sheer level of perfection that Naughty Dog has placed into the Last of Us. I've already finished the story, and the buildup and character development are prime for the end of a console generation. Before you play this game, be warned though- this is not just another Uncharted, and the heartwarming moments of the game, while very powerful, are few and far between the loss and brooding tone that the game brings about with its exceptional story telling. It is a very dark story with very dark consequences to actions and subject matter that some might find uncomfortable such as suicide in mass, the deaths of family members, and decisions between the prosperity of everybody and the good of the few. The brutality of the infected world contrasts heavily with the innocence of several younger characters in the game. All darkness of the game aside, both the story and multiplayer elements of the game are fantastic and an excellent time. The story took me about 15 hours to complete- a far cry from the world of games that are being released today with emphasis only on online and 5-hour stories. Buy this game. Shed tears. Have your heart warmed by the harrowing tale of Joel and Ellie. By far the best game I have ever, and probably will, ever play. Expand
  92. Jun 16, 2013
    One of the most immersive and atmospheric games ever. The story is phenomenal and you'll get to care about the characters like few games before it. Naughty Dog has built a masterpiece that is only only one of the best games for the PS3, but for gaming in general.
  93. Jun 16, 2013
    I don't really know how i can put this into words, i've been gaming for roughly 22 years, played pretty much everything out there and i don't think there is a single game out there that has ever touched me the way this one has.

You can literally see video gaming evolving to new heights just by playing this one game, the game manages to pretty much blur the lines between movie and game, the characters are really well done, they feel like real people, people you can relate to, which is extremely rare in video games. While this is easily the best looking game on PS3, it isn't the texture detail that brings the game to life, it's more the little things like attention to detail, and most importantly the facial animations of the characters.

The sound is also really good, hearing a clicker for the first time will send shivers down your spine, really good ambiance and soundtrack too.

As for the story of the game, it can't be put in to words, it's just something that has to be experienced. If you like video games, this is a must play, it is truly an unforgettable experience and i can't believe that something like this has been achieved on the Playstation 3, the future of gaming sure does look bright, especially if Naughty Dog is making the games.
  94. Jun 17, 2013
    I suspect the main thing dividing the reviews in this, in so far as they are divided, is age. This is not a violent teen power fantasy, it is a game where the brutality and soul-leeching consequences of violence are put on display, at least more than most games in this genre, and without being at all preachy. The developers concentrate on conveying a feeling of tense desperation, andI suspect the main thing dividing the reviews in this, in so far as they are divided, is age. This is not a violent teen power fantasy, it is a game where the brutality and soul-leeching consequences of violence are put on display, at least more than most games in this genre, and without being at all preachy. The developers concentrate on conveying a feeling of tense desperation, and succeed far more often then they fail, at least in my case.The crunch on ammunition forces you to scrabble around the world looking for things to improvise as weapons, not for the sake of completionism, but out of need.

It is possible it should have even catered less to the adrenaline crowd the haters are right in one thing. Overall the gameplay is fairly down the main existing lines, with some solid level and environment designs, and decent set-pieces.

But if you can get caught up in it, like most of the people reviewing here, the experience is pretty amazing.
  95. Jun 17, 2013
    Let me start this review by describing something that makes my day. The small percentage of reviewers (in this case about 10%) that are hell-bent on completely bashing this game. I can see if you don't feel the same as people who rave about it. You are certainly entitled to your own opinion and I will always support that. However...when you take a game that (in the opinion of myself andLet me start this review by describing something that makes my day. The small percentage of reviewers (in this case about 10%) that are hell-bent on completely bashing this game. I can see if you don't feel the same as people who rave about it. You are certainly entitled to your own opinion and I will always support that. However...when you take a game that (in the opinion of myself and the majority) is impressive both visually and in its gameplay, and give it a zero? Lol Not a 5, 6, or 7, but a 0! Are you serious? The reviewers who actually sound angry are the ones that amuse me the most. THIS GAME is so bad that it made you angry?!! You are showing your glaring ignorance or bias, or BOTH! Check out some of the negative reviewers and click on other reviews they've written. You'll notice that all their other submissions are for Xbox or PC. I'd be willing to bet that most haven't even really played it. Is it that important for you to bash anything Playstation? How truly sad your existence must be. Like what you like and be happy with that. Why should it bother you so much that others like something? Live and let live my friends.

While there is no such thing as a perfect game, NO MATTER WHAT SYSTEM YOU HAVE. This is one of the best all-around games that I've played in a while. You will especially enjoy it if you are a fan of the genre.
  96. Jun 17, 2013
    The Last of Us review:

Story: 10/10 A great story indeed, keep me hooked till the end, the characters are deep and the more they develop in the story you will find yourself really caring for their fate. A truly masterpiece of Survival Horror/Post Apocaliptic World. Visual: 10/10 I have never seen a game in ps3 (or any console) that looked better that this one, the light effects, the
    The Last of Us review:

Visual: 10/10 I have never seen a game in ps3 (or any console) that looked better that this one, the light effects, the detail in character modeling and the beautiful surrounding's Cities reclaimed by nature feels so alive) I just give this game MY 10+1 in this department.

Gameplay: 7/10 Here is where am going to punish The Last of Us. The gameplay in fact is a good one, you will find so much to do in The Last of Us (crafting weapons, getting upgrades) the fight's whit button smash/panic scene's feel's great and the combat systems is what you can spect meele weapons are easy to use but firearms will requiere more practice and that is good, because in RL shooting a gun/rifle is not as easy as most shooters/fps want to make us belive) Walking/running/climbing/swimming fells so natural and so real BUT there are some BIG issues whit the game mechanics. The most shocking/disappointing one is the cover/stealth system. I find myself many times not being discovered by enemy's even when my dumb AI partner walked in front of the enemy. My AI parner talking to me/other guy in a zone where there are sound sensitive enemies lurking around and amazingly they dont discover us if your character makes noise/walk in front of an enemy that is a different story). So this is a big big... no no no HUGE problem in the stealth game mechanics/partner AI system that must be solved right away by Naugty Dog.

Replay: 8/10 It's almost imposible to max upgrade your weapons/abilities in one gameplay, so this add replayability to The Last of Us, also the beautiful enviroments of the game/amazing story really invite us to take our controller and play again this title in the New Game+ mode.

Music/Voice Acting: 10/10 The voice acting in The Last of Us is simply amazing!!! You can really sense the mood/fellings of the characters and the agony/joy/sadness/etc they go through.

Overall: 9/10 A must have if u love deep story/rich characters/survival horror/uncharted games. A true contestant to Game of The Year 2013 that only need to tune up some game mechanics to be THE GAME.
  97. Jun 17, 2013
    you know when sometimes a game gets so many positive reviews and hype you then expect it to be so high but then it disappoints when it finally arrives because of your expectations well the last of us is well above expectations it exceeds greatly.
  98. Jun 17, 2013
    With The Last of Us Naughty Dog have delivered a masterpiece in every sense of the word. They don’t just raise the bar for video games, they set a new precedent that all narrative driven games should be measured against. I’ve already heaped huge amounts of praise onto The Last of Us, and yet I feel like I could continue to conjour up new ways of explaining just how impressive theWith The Last of Us Naughty Dog have delivered a masterpiece in every sense of the word. They don’t just raise the bar for video games, they set a new precedent that all narrative driven games should be measured against. I’ve already heaped huge amounts of praise onto The Last of Us, and yet I feel like I could continue to conjour up new ways of explaining just how impressive the experience is. In the end, when I tell you that The Last of Us is not only the best, most complete, game of this generation, but also one of the best games that I’ve ever had the fortune to play, I hope you’ll realise how impossibly good The Last of Us is. Expand
  99. Jun 17, 2013
    Just writing to say that I don't understand why Metacritic insists on including reviews from Quarter to Three. There's different opinions... and then there's issuing a low score just to garner page views. Tom Chick definitely falls into the latter.
  100. Jun 18, 2013
    This game is just one-of-the-kind, experience you will face here is not in any game or on any console or PC so far. Simply this is one of the best game ever made. And yes its GAME so there is not half an hour cutscene and ten minutes of gameplay but its more like interactive movie. Interesting is how conversations are made in-game and there are not cutscenes for each talk. Gamelpay isThis game is just one-of-the-kind, experience you will face here is not in any game or on any console or PC so far. Simply this is one of the best game ever made. And yes its GAME so there is not half an hour cutscene and ten minutes of gameplay but its more like interactive movie. Interesting is how conversations are made in-game and there are not cutscenes for each talk. Gamelpay is unbelievable fun, you can craft a lot stuff for surviving, upgrade your weaponry and explore this incredible world of the last of us. Simply strong perfect characters, emotional solid story, enormous gameplay, beautiful apocalyptic world... Expand

1. Sep 16, 2013
  2. Sep 10, 2013
  3. Official PlayStation Magazine Benelux
    Sep 4, 2013
    Despite the breakneck pace of the prologue, it takes quite a while for The Last of Us to pick up some speed again. However, once the cold harsh winter arrives, the action (and story) ramps up. So much so, it puts most Hollywood productions to shame. [July 2013, p.76]