The Last of Us PlayStation 3

• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Jun 14, 2013
9.1

1. Jun 25, 2013
    Okay, this is the final review update. There is stuff mentoned some pricks may consider a minor spoilers.

After the prologue, where you can already drool over borderline next-gen graphics, game slows to a crawl and stays there for some 4-5 hours about 1/4 of the whole game. During that time, not much interesting happens, you'll just learn about the game mechanics and weird and somewhat clunky control scheme.

You may also notice a bunch of bugs and graphical glitches the game has quite a lot of those, especially when compared to Uncharted games.

Eventually you'll meet the guy named Bill and things will slowly get better. You'll start to get the hang of stealth and combat and, more importantly, the story of Joel and Ellie will start grow on you. To be honest, caring about the main characters is the main drive of the whole game, because while stealth will get good, it never quite gets great and shooting on its own felt kinda crappy all the way till the end.

The resulting mix of stealth and action does however feel very natural and not being for various AI cheats, The Last of Us would have passed for a great stealth game. But the AI cheats and that kinda undermines your efforts to stay hidden. Enemies sometims just start walking towards you for no reason, or some script will send them your way, or reinforcements will come from who knows where, already aware of your position, etc. The hearing mechanics that allows you to detect enemies behind obstacles if they are making noise does not work on those in "other areas" and it is not good when "nobody around" turns into "four guys right in front of you" just because you walked through some door or went up the stairs.

AI cheating is probably the problem #1 I have with this game. There are various less important things there, actualy there is quite a lot of them TLoU certainly could use more polish on many fronts but I'd say that only the AI related stuff has serious impact on gamplay. (Ok, maybe some "levels" like hotel or campus could be shorter and the part in the snowstorm was boring pain in the ass.)

Relationship between Joel and Elie is the meat of the story the events through the game are but a way to shape that relationship and the ending, while emotionaly strong, was quite predictable in its conclusion.

At first I thought TLoU is a failed game that I Am Alive is a better choice with similiar atmosphere. But nah, the strengths of The Last of Us lie elsewhere. You have to endure some mediocore gameplay to get to the good stuff, but in the end it was worth it. It won't be a GOTY for me, but it is definitely up there.
  2. Jul 5, 2013
    I know that most people are judging the game by it's story, and I could only judge it by that, i would give the game 100/10. Now, here are categories and my opinions and scores. Story: 10000000/10. Gameplay: 10/10. Atmosphere: 10/10. Graphics: 10/10. Amount of glitches/bugs I encountered: 4. Plus, the AI is pretty dumb at times. Overall, 9.9/10. One of the best games I've ever played.
  3. Jul 11, 2013
    Best game ever created.
    I've never attached any book/movie/video game character as I did with ellie and joel.
    A freaking masterpiece and a console seller.
  4. Nov 6, 2013
    Moving story, amazing soundtrack, fantastic graphics and a real feel for what your characters are going through. Naughty Dog have delivered the very best for PS3. A must have!
  5. Jun 20, 2013
    This game was fantastic, the story was engaging, and the characters were really attaching. Ellie came from an annoying brat into one of the funniest characters that i know and love. SLIGHT SPOILERS, VERY SLIGHT At first, the story is predictable, but it got better by the end. If you read crabdog's review, it said something about a missed opportunity of replacing his daughter, that didThis game was fantastic, the story was engaging, and the characters were really attaching. Ellie came from an annoying brat into one of the funniest characters that i know and love. SLIGHT SPOILERS, VERY SLIGHT At first, the story is predictable, but it got better by the end. If you read crabdog's review, it said something about a missed opportunity of replacing his daughter, that did happen, with a small glance, a person with a brain can realize that joel is replacing his daughter with ellie, when joel solely glances at something, and that is another amazing part of the game. it is like a movie, they don't have to use words to get the point across, their eyes talk a lot, which is amazing for a game. to the people complaining about graphics, who gives a the game is beautiful, with an amazing story, graphics don't matter, maybe i am biased because i grew up with a colecovision, but the graphics are good enough to see everything in great detail. Finally, the combat is clunky and annoying at times, but it is like that for a reason, this game is not call of duty, the combat is not made to shoot at most parts, shooting (most of the time) is a punishment for not remaining stealthy, anyway you can fix the weapon sway with upgrades.
    Buy it or not, you should buy it, once you start playing the game, it would be hard to let go of it. It is addictive!!!
  6. Jun 26, 2013
    I'd give this gaming experience an "11" if it were possible. I just completed this remarkable journey, and as I listened to the music as the credits rolled, the emotional, gut wrenching toll on my psyche refused to dissipate. Scenes of beauty and hope balanced the dismal, dark world Joel and Ellie sojourned. I consider myself fortunate to have played what is more than just a game.I'd give this gaming experience an "11" if it were possible. I just completed this remarkable journey, and as I listened to the music as the credits rolled, the emotional, gut wrenching toll on my psyche refused to dissipate. Scenes of beauty and hope balanced the dismal, dark world Joel and Ellie sojourned. I consider myself fortunate to have played what is more than just a game. This is an amazing venture for which words of praise can never do it justice enough. Expand
  7. Sep 27, 2013
    Naughty Dog is one of the best game developer. The Last of Us is an impressive demonstration of how it can and should be done. It's one epic story-driven adventure. Beautiful graphics and environments, stunning cutscenes that almost make you forget that its a game. Smooth and responsible gameplay. There is unlimited ways to approach most of the combat sections and it never feelsNaughty Dog is one of the best game developer. The Last of Us is an impressive demonstration of how it can and should be done. It's one epic story-driven adventure. Beautiful graphics and environments, stunning cutscenes that almost make you forget that its a game. Smooth and responsible gameplay. There is unlimited ways to approach most of the combat sections and it never feels repetitive. The characters are possibly the best a game has had, voice acting/cutscenes and the way the story is told make this game feel incredibly real. I felt genuinely attached to what happened and really cared about the story. Expand
  8. Jun 22, 2013
    I can understand why some people consider this game over hyped. If you approach the game as a stealth/shooter only, you will be disappointed. Not because it's bad, it's not, but because this game is about more than what you control.

This game is about characters, about traveling through a world that wants to you dead, and surviving at all costs. If you're anything like me this game will touch you emotionally, you will empathise with their struggle, and be disturbed at how cruel the world has become, and how real it all could be. This may be lost on those that are too young, or incapable of letting themselves become immersed in the story. If you aren't however, this is not a game you will soon forget.
  9. Jun 22, 2013
    The only thing you need to know about this game, is that this game is not like any other game.
    Because this game, will most definitely become one of the best games you will ever play.
  10. Jun 23, 2013
    Don't get me, wrong, I loved playing this game, but people on the internet have hyped to up so much, that it actually prevented me from enjoying it as much as I could. Mostly because people have been saying that it was "THE CITIZEN KANE OF VIYDA GAMES", which in reality, it isn't. Sure, it's good, but unlike something like BioShock Infinite or even Metal Gear Solid 2, everything the storyDon't get me, wrong, I loved playing this game, but people on the internet have hyped to up so much, that it actually prevented me from enjoying it as much as I could. Mostly because people have been saying that it was "THE CITIZEN KANE OF VIYDA GAMES", which in reality, it isn't. Sure, it's good, but unlike something like BioShock Infinite or even Metal Gear Solid 2, everything the story in this game does could have easily been done in a movie. As for the gameplay, while it was satifisying to kill enemies, it got really repetitive after awhile. Overall, The Last of Us was decent, but I would like to play the version they showed at E3 2012, which looks much better. Expand
  11. Jun 24, 2013
    The Last of Us is certainly the best game of 2013. The story is just amazingly written and thought of. Joel and Ellie are one of the best characters this generation has to offer. The setting is beautiful and very dark. There will be scenes throughout the game where you would feel uncomfortable, sad and relieved. Everybody you see can die and could really strike you emotionally. GraphicallyThe Last of Us is certainly the best game of 2013. The story is just amazingly written and thought of. Joel and Ellie are one of the best characters this generation has to offer. The setting is beautiful and very dark. There will be scenes throughout the game where you would feel uncomfortable, sad and relieved. Everybody you see can die and could really strike you emotionally. Graphically this game looks fantastic, it's probably the best looking game on the PS3 to date. Despite some minor bugs and glitches, that doesn't even ruin the experience. This single-player story of this game would make you want to replay it more than once. But the The Last of Us has more to offer and that is multiplayer. Honestly, the game would still be perfect without multiplayer, but that's not the case here. This multiplayer is unique and requires you to have a different approach on winning. It is very tactical, very fun with friends and unique. The only 2 problems i have with multiplayer is that it lacks map content and game modes. It has a fine number of maps (7) and only 2 game modes. But it has already been confirmed that there will be more multiplayer and single-player content on the way. This game is the best game i ever played in my entire life, i would recommend this game to everyone. Expand
  12. Jun 24, 2013
    First off about me:
    I don't own a stupid PlayStation 3, nor have I ever owned a PlayStation before. I hate the controller feel.. I have always had an Xbox...
    First off about me:

I borrowed my brother-in-law's PlayStation 3 for the past week. I heard good reviews about 'The Last Of Us' video game and rented it at red box to give it a whirl. After 1 hour of gameplay I still hated the controller and struggled to learn it but the gameplay was unreal, the only thing I can compare the game to is Half-Life. After 3 days of renting the red box, I had to return the console to my brother-in-law's.. I wanted to finish the game, but not only that I wanted the game. If I could I would re-format my Xbox 360 into a platform that would play this game. I returned the red box, then purchased this game brand spanking new. I played it for a grand total of 14 hours straight, didn't sleep at all for one day just because I was so engulfed into the game, emotionally it was playing my feelings like a puppet, I felt so close to the characters at the end that I feel like I was with them! I beat the game and I usually get all ADHD (I have that) and never pick up a game again after beating it.. But I want to play it over and over again, and I haven't even played multiplayerr yet!
    I was going to get an Xbox One, but after playing this game, I now am banking my whole decision on This game alone. If naughty dog announces they are going to open up to other consoles, I will be getting it on the xbox one. If not.. I'm getting a PS4.
    I am a master at the controller now, and love that game. Keep making more!
  13. Jun 24, 2013
    Naughty Dog has been a great studio behind every one of their games. From Crash Bandicoot, Jak & Daxter, and through their Uncharted series... and now the Last of Us. I'll be honest, the game is not perfect like many may claim, but what it does do, it does very well. It puts you on edge and suspense in a creepy yet beautiful future. The gameplay isn't quick like most games, but slow,Naughty Dog has been a great studio behind every one of their games. From Crash Bandicoot, Jak & Daxter, and through their Uncharted series... and now the Last of Us. I'll be honest, the game is not perfect like many may claim, but what it does do, it does very well. It puts you on edge and suspense in a creepy yet beautiful future. The gameplay isn't quick like most games, but slow, allowing you to evaluate each opportunity and how to approach it. And even the most well thought out plans will fail, and when they do all hell breaks lose. The acting is top notch, the graphics are pushing the last of what the PS3 has to offer, and the length of the campaign will make you feel like its a long journey... I've run into some graphical glitches, and the slow gameplay is hard to adapt to since I am used to the faster paced Uncharted's they've made, but what it does is different from most games, and that is why it shines above them. Overall, I'd say I still prefer their Uncharted series, due to the fact that I like the action and humor and walk away from those games feeling good like an action movie should. All the while when playing the Last of Us, I find myself having to take breaks due to it's emotional and stressful suspenseful nature. But that is what they were going for, and damn did they do it well. 8/10 only cuz Uncharted 2 gets a 9/10 on my list, and that is the best game I've ever played. And there's no such thing as a 10/10... yet. Expand
  14. dz9
    Jun 24, 2013
    To start off this review, I'd like to say that The Last of Us is a very good game. That being said, it's definitely not the legend people are making it out to be. In essence it is an excellent game that held back from greatness from a culmination of small but significant flaws. Knowing NaughtyDog and any of the trailers, it is easy to see that this game is gorgeous, spot on voice actingTo start off this review, I'd like to say that The Last of Us is a very good game. That being said, it's definitely not the legend people are making it out to be. In essence it is an excellent game that held back from greatness from a culmination of small but significant flaws. Knowing NaughtyDog and any of the trailers, it is easy to see that this game is gorgeous, spot on voice acting and motion capturing combined with the atmosphere make this game a visual delicacy. The gameplay is a simple and familiar one (I can understand the people that can not bare this game because of the familiar stealth), effective and tense in parts, but hair-pulling and repetitive in others. You pretty much have to play stealth for the majority of your time playing TLoU, fighting your way past zombie-inspired monsters and your fellow human survivors. The stealth is very simple but overall effective, however when the game gives you the objective to clear all enemies in a given area, it makes the game feel too "video game-y" and breaks the immersion it tries so desperately to set up. Also breaking the immersion is the awful Ai. For your allies, too often do they get in your way or frantically and aimlessly running in plain sight of the enemy without even somehow being spotted. For your enemies, the lack of variety of the zombies make getting through them extremely repetitious and the AI for the human foes range from Super Sight, eyes in the back of their head, and unbelievable stupidity. The human AI is never consistent and too often will your carefully thought out stealth streak be interrupted by the unbearable AI. The crafting system is a great thought and raises the tense moments of combat even more due to the live action inventory mechanic, only gripe regarding it is the fact is that I never felt constricted to craft items which I should feel in an apocalyptic horror game, because although the ammo felt balanced right, the supplies to make molotovs, nailbombs, and health packs came all too in abundance. The story although not outstanding, is workable, it gets you from point A to point B effectively while coming up with a few cool ideas along the way. The best part of the story is the interactions between the characters you'll meet, seeing them evolve as characters and grow before the player's eyes is a narrative treat.
    In the End: The Last of Us sports a decent story, a great and believable cast of characters, outstanding visuals, but lacks depth and consistency in the gameplay especially with in the AI department.
    The Last of Us 7.8/10
  15. Jun 26, 2013
    The Last Of US is one of those rare games that come out every now and then. It is a game so immersive and emotional it will actually make you care about the protagonists. The emotion this game can bring out in the player is astonishing. The Last Of Us is excellent in every major way. All the minor details really add to the amazing atmosphere that the game accomplishes. I found myself neverThe Last Of US is one of those rare games that come out every now and then. It is a game so immersive and emotional it will actually make you care about the protagonists. The emotion this game can bring out in the player is astonishing. The Last Of Us is excellent in every major way. All the minor details really add to the amazing atmosphere that the game accomplishes. I found myself never wanting to put it down and really investing myself in the main characters. The game does have minuscule issues, but the fantastic storyline more then makes up for any negatives. Expand
  16. Jun 26, 2013
    I really don't have words to describe how amazing this game is & how many times I stop playing wondering what the GODS from Naughty Dog did, how they create this & that & how amazing the visuals is, the game continue to surprise me in an unbelievable way again & again from start to finish the creativity of the devs & the maturity of the story set a whole new standard for a game of thisI really don't have words to describe how amazing this game is & how many times I stop playing wondering what the GODS from Naughty Dog did, how they create this & that & how amazing the visuals is, the game continue to surprise me in an unbelievable way again & again from start to finish the creativity of the devs & the maturity of the story set a whole new standard for a game of this generation & for video games over all, no reason to say more other than this is now for me the best exclusive on PS3 my previous one was MGS4 but that game is pure magic pure art so TLOU now won that place in my heart, every PS3 owner must play this MASTERPIECE it will be for sure an unforgettable experience. Expand
  17. Jun 27, 2013
    This game is almost immediately evocative of works such as The Road, and the lesser-known Earth Abides, with strong hints of "I Am Legend". It plays like Uncharted, meets Fallout, meets the original Resident Evil.

What I'm going to cover first is the centerpiece of the game, the characters. The highly detailed character graphics, intricate facial animations, and sincere voice acting set a new high standard for the video game medium all by themselves. These technical aspects, combined with excellent characters that simply ooze verisimilitude, form something truly special. The end of the game in particular made me think that the voice actors must have done a minimum of 1,000 takes to achieve the perfect subtlety they deliver their lines with.

The controls and gunplay are realistic, but not as realistic as the brutal depiction of violence which is so realistic that it's not even fun in the "wee!" sense. This seems to be the entire theme of the game. It is the opposite of a bullet hell shooter but even more frantic. It is, in turns, nerve-wracking and heart-wrenching (if you have any semblance of a soul residing in the dying coals of your heart) the fresh take on "zombies" as presented by the Fungus-controlled Infected such as Clickers, delivers an apt sense of dread and tension. If you think that's a negative, you might want to stick to Zen Pinball 3D. In giving you pleasure while not being pleasant, The Last of Us elevates the medium to new heights; even making me pause and wonder if "game" is the correct word for it, despite the fact that you are given full control and are able to tackle any given situation with great freedom.

From a design perspective, The Last of Us is a well-oiled machine. It makes great strides in eliminating the disconnect between gameplay and story, known as ludonarrative dissonance, almost universally present in any action game that tries to present an unique story. The rules work almost the same in a cutscene as they do when you have control of the characters. Joel cannot be shot in the eye 20 times during the course of playing and be totally fine, and then need a trip to the E.R. when he stubs his toe in a cutscene.

Both my wife and I completed the story in about 18 hours. To give perspective, we don't rush through things, we explore and experiment quite a bit. I was obsessed with what the length of the game would be before I played it, and I now see that this was folly. I like to get a lot of playtime for my 60 dollars, but it would have been a huge disservice to us for Naughty Dog to artificially extend the playtime just for that reason (although you can argue that's what multiplayer is). The game is as long as the story, and any significant changes to what we ended up with would have ruined it. Do not wish for this to be a longer or shorter game. What value The Last of Us does not deliver in Skyrim-esque length, it delivers in sheer quality.

Speaking of multiplayer, I haven't even redeemed my online code yet and there's a chance that I may never (honestly, the story isn't "Campaign Mode", "Story Mode", or "Singleplayer Mode, it's just the game), so all I can say is that I'm intrigued by the playmode where there are no respawns; as it has the potential to alter the ubiquitous "LEEEROOY JENKINS" enthusiasm plaguing most online multiplayer games. Nobody's going to want to do that if it means they have to wait until the next match. The multiplayer mode also includes elements from the actual game, such as crafting, and the current modes center around the concept of survival but do not feature non-human enemies from the game, such as Clickers, or those things that are more deadly than Clickers.

And that, Dear Reader, is the best and most accurate spoiler-free review that you will read for The Last of Us. You need not read any other, especially not those that risibly pan the game just for attention. In fact, you shouldn't even be reading what I'm typing right now, because you should be buying or playing the game.
  18. Jun 27, 2013
    One of the best games I have ever played on the PS3 system! I played the game on "hard" setting and the game gave me a great challenge! The gameplay was very well balanced, I was forced to think before shooting and had to use different strategies to complete the goals set by the game designers! With the great gameplay the player also gets treated with a great story, amazingly wellOne of the best games I have ever played on the PS3 system! I played the game on "hard" setting and the game gave me a great challenge! The gameplay was very well balanced, I was forced to think before shooting and had to use different strategies to complete the goals set by the game designers! With the great gameplay the player also gets treated with a great story, amazingly well developed characters and best cut scenes seen on the ps3 to date! Expand
  19. Jun 27, 2013
    I have decided to wait a little bit before reviewing this game, so that I can let the hype and expectations settle before they cloud my judgement in an early review. However, my opinions of this game have not changed since the first second I played it, and that is that this game is a masterpiece. This game comes as something of a swam song from Naughty Dog on the PS3, a special game toI have decided to wait a little bit before reviewing this game, so that I can let the hype and expectations settle before they cloud my judgement in an early review. However, my opinions of this game have not changed since the first second I played it, and that is that this game is a masterpiece. This game comes as something of a swam song from Naughty Dog on the PS3, a special game to kick off the PS4 and begin to close out the PS3 era, much akin to Sony Santa Monica's God of War 2.

For the record, I am not going to talk about the multiplayer, which I've heard is fantastic, but never played and I don't really think that is what the game is about.

Something you will notice off the bat are the very high production values. There is a great original score, talented voice acting, and top notch graphics and animations in this game. However, all of that would not begin to matter if the game did not come through in the gameplay and story department. Lucky for us, it does.

You play as Joel, a hardened man riddled with grief from a tragic event 20 years before the story occurs. Through some *spoiler-free* circumstances, he is charged with transporting a young girl, Ellie, across a fungus-ravaged United States. The story is really what drives this game home, and is what you will remember it for. There is a range of feelings that you will get from this game, from sadness and happiness to even anger. This is the game that people will be talking about for years to come, and most of that is due to it's awesome story.

Now, this would all be for nothing if it didn't have enjoyable gameplay, something The Last of Us also delivers on. You control Joel for most of the game. Stealth plays a major role and while it isn't technically a necessity, if you want some ammo saved for the more difficult encounters, you will need to keep the noise down. Having such sheer numbers of enemies to face means that the tension really builds, especially with Clicker and Bloater Infected enemies, there is an undeniable tension that you will feel, because one wrong step can mean brutal death at the hands of these beasts. You can turn the tables back in your favour with an awesome crafting system, which lets you create tools of both stealth and war. Create a smoke bomb to stun human enemies while you go in for the takedown, create a health kit to heal yourself, or upgrade your weapon to one-hit kill.

All of this comes together in an excellent package, which not only happens to be the best Playstation 3 exclusive, but joins the conversation for best of the generation.
  20. Jun 29, 2013
    This is the best gaming experience of this generation. If you haven't played or beaten The Last of Us, what are you waiting for. I can't even say anything, it's just brilliant all over it.
  21. Jun 30, 2013
    I have to say more of the same. The Last of Us is not only this best, the most important game of THIS generation. It is, probably, one of the best, most important gaming experiences ever conceived. I don't know where to start, honestly. So I will use this review just to say one thing: if you care about games, if you play them, if games are something you take seriously, I BEG you don't missI have to say more of the same. The Last of Us is not only this best, the most important game of THIS generation. It is, probably, one of the best, most important gaming experiences ever conceived. I don't know where to start, honestly. So I will use this review just to say one thing: if you care about games, if you play them, if games are something you take seriously, I BEG you don't miss this one out. I don't need to talk about graphics, text, voice acting, gameplay etc etc. The videos and reviews are all praising all those things. What I will say is that never before had I such a deep, emotional, haunting experience. It got me thrilled, excited, sad, juggling laughter and tears in equal portions. This is more than a game. It's the perfect film, the perfect book, the perfect song. And, call me crazy, a beautiful memory as well. I will never forget this game. Expand
  22. Jul 2, 2013
    This game is the best game I ever played in my life. There's nothing wrong about it, the story is great!!! Characters facial expressions looks very realistic, gets attach to the characters. The gameplay is great and also very long. Easily top 5 games maybe even top 3. The graphics are amazing! Storyline, the gameplay, the characters. Speechless how great this game turn out to be. TrulyThis game is the best game I ever played in my life. There's nothing wrong about it, the story is great!!! Characters facial expressions looks very realistic, gets attach to the characters. The gameplay is great and also very long. Easily top 5 games maybe even top 3. The graphics are amazing! Storyline, the gameplay, the characters. Speechless how great this game turn out to be. Truly game of the year. Expand
  23. Jul 2, 2013
    OK... This ga... Oh god. I'm so overwhelmed right now with this game
    right now. This game is like a delicious meal. When it ends you want so
    bad to have more of it but in some other way you are the most satisfied human being in the planet. The graphics are so amazing I can't even digest it. The story is so well done that I was left teary. And thinking about the ending is
    OK... This ga... Oh god. I'm so overwhelmed right now with this game
    right now. This game is like a delicious meal. When it ends you want so
    bad to have more of it but in some other way you are the most satisfied
    human being in the planet.

The graphics are so amazing I can't even digest it. The story is so
    well done that I was left teary. And thinking about the ending is
    surprisingly just as deep as analyzing a good movie. I'm gonna talk
    about the ending later so keep on with me (haha). Where to start... OK.

This game tells the story of a man with a mission. He has to go across
    a post-apocalyptic America to deliver a little girl to a rebel group of
    survivors. As I came aware that it was involving a rebel group holding
    against the government I was worried. I said to myself "Oh, this is so
    cliché!". But I was wrong. And I have to mention this was just a
    meaningless worry still having in my mind the amazing prologue that I
    just witnessed. The setting the gameplay and the execution of what
    envelopes is superb in the prologue and in the whole game in general.

The game is divided by seasons (I know, it's weird but awesome). and
    every season ends with something big. My favorite I think might be
    winter but it's hard to pick one because they all are amazing! But I'm
    just gonna go with winter now. The pacing and the way they are told and
    experienced are awesome.

Now... the most gamers were worried about...! The gameplay. Let me say
    this. This game... has the most fluid and satisfying gameplay that I
    have ever experienced. I was going to add intense up there but some
    things (Resident Evil) can't be topped. The way the gameplay combines
    with the atmosphere and story is done masterfully. You have to
    carefully walk through dark hallways and smartly plan what to waste and
    what to spare. The brutality of the combat also makes it engaging and
    sometimes disturbing. There was good variety in the enemies and very
    few and minimal glitches that I encountered.

OK, now let's get into the graphics. These are easily the best graphics
    that I have seen on a console. They are smooth, detailed and very
    beautiful. There were a few scenes with animals in them and they are
    jaw dropping. (Yes, even the rabbit.)Oh and the lighting. Haha man the
    lighting. The shadows the reflections and the beautifully animated
    dynamic lighting make this game shine. (No pun intended)

The cherry on top of all of this must be the ending. I understand that
    some didn't like it because of it's abruptness but for me it was deep,
    dark and let's say, real! I spent easily a day thinking and analyzing
    these characters (specially Joel at the end) to really understand this
    character complex ending! I mean, what game does this! (except for
    Bioshock Infinite).

This game is a masterpiece of our time. Everyone must experience it and
    it should be taken from now on as a reference to what the gaming industry is capable of and how it has already reached the heights of film depth and quality. Thanks for reading! Have a good day!
  24. Jul 2, 2013
    The saying saving it's best for last has never seemed more appropriate. The PS3 may very well have waited until it's dying embers before unleashing arguably it's greatest game upon us. I knew this game would be good. Let's be honest, you don't make Uncharted games and not give us a decent game but I wasn't prepared for this. The Last of Us is astonishingly amazing. It might turn out to beThe saying saving it's best for last has never seemed more appropriate. The PS3 may very well have waited until it's dying embers before unleashing arguably it's greatest game upon us. I knew this game would be good. Let's be honest, you don't make Uncharted games and not give us a decent game but I wasn't prepared for this. The Last of Us is astonishingly amazing. It might turn out to be the game that defines the PS3. It's extraordinary!! Any PS3 owner who doesn't own this doesn't deserve to have the console. It's a masterpiece from start to finish. The game follows the journey of Joel and Ellie, who travel across a post-apocalyptic America in 2033 following the outbreak of a mutant cordyceps as they seek The Fireflies, a resistance group who believe Ellie has the cure to save the world. The story is captivating and an emotional tour-de-force throughout. Never has a game touched me so much as this. Its full of emotional highs and lows where every decision has a consequence as you battle zombie-like infected mutants, bandits and cannibals as you battle across a savaged USA. The setting is actually stunning. The post-apocalyptic America is mesmerising and so authentic. Naughty Dog really have raised the bar once again. The scenery is beautiful. And graphically, this is as good as it gets. It's frightening to think what Naughty Dog will have instore with next gen. The gameplay is near flawless. Much like Uncharted but more free flowing. The environments really play a vital part and the stealth aspect was a splendid inclusion. It really makes you as the gamer in charge of the method you wish to complete the game because enemies react differently depending on your approach. Your also able to craft weapons during the game which again is genius! The story is where The Last of Us is truly exceptional. It's such a rewarding and exhilarating experience. Right from the tragic beginning to the contentious ending. It's an unforgettable game The journey and the experience alone are awesome. You feel part of Joel and Ellie's story. And there relationship is at the heart of the story. It blossoms beautifully throughout. In conclusion this could well be the ultimate game available. In terms of an all round package, it's unmissable. It showcases exactly what the PS3 does best. And at it's very best. The Last of Us is not only n imperative purchase for any PS3 owner but the must have game of the year! Expand
  25. Jul 4, 2013
    STORY: The Last of Us is dark, intense, suspenseful, and at the most unexpected times... it's beautiful. Be warned this is not Uncharted, nor is it a standard zombie apocalypse story. The main narrative follows the relationship between Joel and Ellie, two of the most complex and fleshed-out characters you will ever encounter. From the start you will understand where they are coming fromSTORY: The Last of Us is dark, intense, suspenseful, and at the most unexpected times... it's beautiful. Be warned this is not Uncharted, nor is it a standard zombie apocalypse story. The main narrative follows the relationship between Joel and Ellie, two of the most complex and fleshed-out characters you will ever encounter. From the start you will understand where they are coming from but over the course of the game you will form such a deep and profound connection with them that you will want to play it all over again. At it's core The Last of Us is a tale of survival and is constantly begging questions, tossing around morals and justifying causes, but it never feels forced, they want you to explore this topic and are letting you decide how you feel about it. This game somehow manages to find beauty in even the bleakest of moments, but I'm not talking about visuals yet, I'm talking about the unexpected moments that will make your heart wrench and your eyes water without overwhelming you with giant epiphanies. Bioshock Infinite, a game I also enjoyed, had moments where the plot was too much, where the twists and turns made your head ache, The Last of Us never does that though, instead it plays with your emotions, effectively drawing you deeper into the experience. This story has so many layers and dives into such profound issues that you will continue to gain appreciation. This is where many of the negative jabs come from, from those not mature or ready enough to handle the narrative it offers.

GAMEPLAY: The way you can bash an enemy's face against a desk or blow the head off another survivor is undoubtably brutal and intense. This is definitely not a game for children and can have a strong impact on even the most prepared adult. There was not a life I took in this game that didn't feel real, every kill is felt, and every murder pushes you further on the edge of your couch. Ammo is scarce, as well as the supplies you need to collect to craft weapons, traps, and medical kits, making you feel truly desperate. There is no regenerative health, no ammo crates, no stores to buy upgrades, you must scavenge everything. With most enemy encounters you will have the option to stealthily take out your opponents, attack head-on, or occasionally sneak away. There are 2 basic enemy types, human and infected, human encounters are fierce, brutal, and desperate, while infected encounters are much more subtle, terrifying, and stealthy. What makes the gameplay so amazing though is the balance of everything, you never feel like a portion is too easy or too hard, too stealth-based or too combat-heavy, all of the upgrade systems coincide well and there are few weapons you won't have a need or desire to use.

MULTIPLAYER: There is not a gamer in the world who doesn't get a little annoyed or put off by the fact that some story-heavy games put a focus on multiplayer. However usually multiplayer for games like this are just bland. Games like Tomb Raider, God of War Ascension, Bioshock 2, or even the Uncharted sequels, but The Last of Us just isn't like those. There are only two game modes to play, the one I prefer is called Survivors. It pits two teams of four against each other on a map where crates of supplies are scattered everywhere, they are essential to your survival as they contain scraps and parts used to make weapons and health kits, they are also very necessary because if you die, you die, and you don't re-spawn, you play until one team wins four rounds. It re-envokes that desperate feel I mentioned earlier when talking about the campaign, and to put matters worse your enemies are human, not AI, and they are just-as clever as you. Plus the multiplayer has an overarching meta-game where you are put in charge of a camp of survivors and must continue to provide food for them as your camp grows and as problems occur. The way this integrates with the matches is that parts you collect in matches from crates or players you kill goes towards getting food, plus you will occasionally be given challenges such as killing a certain number of enemies in a match to prevent sickness from breaking out in your clan. The larger your clan gets, the more upgrades to your weapons and character you receive.

And yes everything else I haven't discussed is amazing, the graphics are easily the best of this console generation, the characters you encounter are awesome (TESS!!!), and the subtle, yet epic soundtrack. This is easily my favorite game of this generation and maybe my most favorite of all time, when rating games I never giver perfect scores but because this ranks so high, I can't help but reward a 10 out of 10.
  26. Jul 4, 2013
    My top two favorite games of this gen are The Last of Us and Red Dead Redemption, and both are easily up there with the greatest I have ever played. Giving a score a 10/10 doesn't mean it is perfect, but rather it is a complete, quality product that sets a standard for other games to come in that genre, and for me The Last of Us does that and more. I feel justified in spending 60 dollarsMy top two favorite games of this gen are The Last of Us and Red Dead Redemption, and both are easily up there with the greatest I have ever played. Giving a score a 10/10 doesn't mean it is perfect, but rather it is a complete, quality product that sets a standard for other games to come in that genre, and for me The Last of Us does that and more. I feel justified in spending 60 dollars on an extremely well made product that I will be playing through again and spending many hours I'm sure on the fantastic multiplayer. With a game that has so much hype and attention there will be much criticism by a lot of people that feel it doesn't deserve all of it, and The Last of Us is not without faults. The friendly A.I. at times was a bit clumsy and could be annoying, but for the most part helped out and was never really a problem. The human enemy A.I. were by no means strategic geniuses but kept me on my toes and moving around for cover. I noticed minor glitches here and there but nothing that ruined the game at all, like getting stuck by a tree and having a hard time moving. The story is fantastic and one of the most well done in any game I have played, and the music adds so much to the dramatic feel without ever being cheesy. The gameplay is tense and a good mix between shootouts and stealth, with the infected it's nice to just slip by them without having to fight. Speaking of the infected, I shouted about 3 or 4 times playing the game when being spotted, accidentally knocking over something you didn't see and hearing them scream and run at you can be disturbing. The feeling you get as you move through the story and characters interact in different ways is strange for a game, it's almost like you're watching real people interact and it can affect you. Some people don't like or understand the ending, but I thought it was extremely human and the decisions Joel has to make would be very hard for anyone, you will see what I mean. The multiplayer is a bit more slow paced and extremely team oriented, you must stick together to succeed! I love it and am fully addicted to it, I like it more than uncharted 3 multiplayer, even though uncharted 3's was great too. I just feel they need more types of multiplayer modes and options, but so far so great. The Last of Us is a hard game at times, if you don't want a challenge you may want to play on easy. Don't miss out on one of the greatest gaming experiences you can have from this gen! Expand
  27. Jul 5, 2013
    Naughty Dog, Inc. through The Last of Us created a world where every punch hurts like hell, every bullet counts and most amazingly, every moment is a blessing because unlike most games, it shows the joys of being alive and how easily one can lose it in a bat of an eye.

The development of the bond between the two main characters Joel and Ellie was realistic that by the end of the game I knew them more than I know my own goddamn family. This is survival genre at it's finest, decisions are as grey as it can be and most of the time you aren't left with much of a choice leading you to flip a coin. It's a harsh, brutal outlook of the world where the only thing that makes you keep going is the simple fact that you aren't alone in this.

The story is not about reaching the final objective, but the journey through which how two strangers with two very different backgrounds move away from constantly looking for the other to backstab to slowly build a father-daughter relationship. In the end, players will ask what is the difference between the right thing to do and something which 'feels right'.

Beautiful game, great visuals, fantastic characters and a fantastically realized harsh but authentic world makes the Last of Us not only the best game I've ever played, but also I never invested so much emotions in any form of entertainment media. It is a masterpiece.

28. Jul 9, 2013
    Everybody who gives this game less than a 6 only wants to draw attention and try to be original since this game can only have a 6 to 10 grade. It's imposible for you to find so many errors in the game because it is nearly perfect
    - Perfect Gameplay
    - Perfect Story line
    - Perfect Characters
    - Incredible Graphics

Nothing else to say. A Masterpiece from Naughty Dog
    (Wish theres a sequel)
  29. Jul 9, 2013
    The best game for the PS3, and one of the best games out there. It's simple immersion on everything just makes it wonderful. The story of the game is very rich; it's dark, unpredictable and best of all immersing. The game-play itself is one of the best, though it could have been improved at some points, it' easily on of the best. For example, characters don't interrupt you when you'reThe best game for the PS3, and one of the best games out there. It's simple immersion on everything just makes it wonderful. The story of the game is very rich; it's dark, unpredictable and best of all immersing. The game-play itself is one of the best, though it could have been improved at some points, it' easily on of the best. For example, characters don't interrupt you when you're sneaking, or doing that type of stuff. Talking about AI, the AI is not bad, while some might disagree, I think that in combat they act realistically, because when people are in plain combat, they don't think about anything else, that isn't survival. People in combat sometimes lose their head and do something stupid, and I think the game represented that very well in that aspect. So let's go with characters now, the protagonists of the game are deeply made in my opinion; They have a rich back-story, a good past, and the most important thing, a good story in the course of the game. The game also has good scenarios, deepening very much on the details of the maps and in some cases the AI of the people who live on those places. They feel alive. The difficulty of the game varies upon the way you are, because combating a dozen of zombies, is different than just a few of them, which applies for the armed enemies also. It can be very difficult in some places, while it can be a walk in the park in other situations. That's it for the campaign.
    About the multiplayer, we can tell it's a good MP, like a mix of popular shooters, but improved in a lot of ways. The customization you can give to your character isn't the most biggest one, but I won't say it's small, cause it's not. You can customize your "flag" or logo, your clothing, your attributes and your weapons, all of this helping on the actual game-play. And that's it for most of the game, I think if YOU play it, you'll feel the same. This game is worthy of GOTY, and worthy of being remembered.
  30. Jul 9, 2013
    This game is incredible. Best game of this generation in my opinion. The story and character development are unparalleled. There is not a single negative thing I can say about this game.
  31. Jul 19, 2013
    The best such game I've every played. Overall, its more of a story than a game experience
    Everything is pretty linear, but that's OK because the point is to get through the story
    The game elements are just spice tasty spice
    The detail to attention is phenomenal as per other ND titles
    Gripping. Never had a game effect me quite this way
  32. Jul 26, 2013
    I really don't have much to say but anyone who's reluctant to buy this game should read all the critics reviews. I was blown away by the fact that I was so attached to these characters. Once I finished it I just couldn't get over that mind boggling ending which made me lose sleep at night. A mesmerizing story and it truly bridge the gap between games and cinema. I'm sure we can expectI really don't have much to say but anyone who's reluctant to buy this game should read all the critics reviews. I was blown away by the fact that I was so attached to these characters. Once I finished it I just couldn't get over that mind boggling ending which made me lose sleep at night. A mesmerizing story and it truly bridge the gap between games and cinema. I'm sure we can expect amazing things from ND in the future. I will have my fingers crossed for TLOU 2. Expand
  33. Aug 10, 2013
    The first review I gave this game was an 8. Needless to say, I've changed my score to a 10 now.

There are very, very minor flaws in this game. Every game has them but in The Last of Us they're so minor that they're not even worth mentioning. When you quit nit picking you can truly appreciate a game for what it is, and The Last of Us smacks everything out of the park.
  34. Jul 28, 2013
    Technisch geht auf der PS3 wohl kaum mehr. Allerdings ist es aufkeinen Fall den Hype Wert der um das Spiel gemacht wird. Gutes Spiel aber ab der Hälfte hat man Gameplaytechnisch schon alles gesehen und die Story ist interessant gehalten, beeindruck am Ende aber doch nur ehr mittelmäßig.
  35. Aug 1, 2013
    The game of my life! That is it! The best game I ever played. Great history, amazing graphics, wonderfull setting and a nice gameplay. I did not tried multiplayer yet, but singleplayer is perfect!
  36. Aug 1, 2013
    This is one of the best games i ever played. The story is awesome also the characters are convincingly.
    You really care about joel and ellie. The graphic and the music and every thing else is fantastic.
    I want such games for other consoles so every gamer can play it.
  37. Aug 8, 2013
    Overall an excellent game. Everything is good. The story, the pacing, the set peices, the characters, the voce acting, the audio, the graphics, the combat system. Particularly good is the AI and combat system, which keeps the enemy challenging throughout the game. Having said that, there a a couple of really annoying bits that break the immersion. The first is melee weapons. All the meleeOverall an excellent game. Everything is good. The story, the pacing, the set peices, the characters, the voce acting, the audio, the graphics, the combat system. Particularly good is the AI and combat system, which keeps the enemy challenging throughout the game. Having said that, there a a couple of really annoying bits that break the immersion. The first is melee weapons. All the melee weapons have limited uses. Does an iron pipe rally fall apart the 6th time you hit a zombie with it? The second is ammo. All your human enemies that are armed with ranged weapons will fire ammo like its going out of fashion. You will struggle to find every bullet. If you defeat a human enemy who has being firing continuously at you, you may find 2 or 3 bullets as loot IF you're lucky. So how come everyone has buckets of ammo except you? And where does it vanish to when they die? Finally if you find the M16 assault rifle dont bother with it as its ludicrously undepowered compared to every other gun. Those are small points, but compared to, say skyrim, where NPCs carry the loot they carry into battle the one sided ammo bias does break the immersion. Expand
  38. Aug 9, 2013
    I will have to start out by saying that The Last of Us really does make the end of this Playstation 3 generation something to look back on how it started to where it is now. Naughty Dog is the creator of the "Uncharted" series, and also many other big Playstation games. But the reason i bring the "Uncharted" series up is that "Uncharted: Drake's Fortune" was made in November 2007...oneI will have to start out by saying that The Last of Us really does make the end of this Playstation 3 generation something to look back on how it started to where it is now. Naughty Dog is the creator of the "Uncharted" series, and also many other big Playstation games. But the reason i bring the "Uncharted" series up is that "Uncharted: Drake's Fortune" was made in November 2007...one year after the PS3 release date in 2006. So if you see how beautiful that game was in 2007 you can see in The Last of Us that Naughty Dog really knows how to push the PS3 to the limits graphics wise. Don't get me wrong, graphics aren't the biggest thing about this game but the game sure does look beautiful and its unique that we get to see one developer at the start of a console's generation and at the end of it. That's not what this is about though, so just take that in as you play this game.
    This game is a masterpiece by its design, story, and game play. When this game was first revealed at E3 with just a teaser trailer I had so much hope for this game based on its post-apocalyptic world also with Naughty Dog as its developer. Well I'm glad I did because the story I think is the best thing about this game because when you play as Joel for the first time in awhile in games you feel like the character, so whatever happens to him good or bad you feel as if its really happening. The game is so emotional you may even forget it's a video game sometimes because it also seems like this summer's best movie at the box office. As for the story, it's amazing but it's also amazing because you don't know what is going to happen and that is exactly why I can not tell you anything about the story. For gameplay this game plays like Uncharted which isn't a bad thing but there are other features in this game Uncharted will never have. There is a crafting system because throughout the game you will pick up items and you will need to use those items to craft weapons and med kits. Also this game has different ways to play. You can be stealthy in some parts of the game, where someone else may run and gun. It depends on how much ammo you were able to come across. For graphics it uses the PS3 to the max, it seems like, on everything possible. For now that is...

Adam
  39. Aug 10, 2013
    This Game is Phenomenal I Loved every Part of this Game though Few Glitches But they never ruined my Fun in the Game from the START and to the END you will get Those "FEELS" and it really will make you think that World is Real Joel Ellie Everyone. I Love This Game i thought about it after Days and Week after completing it and it will stay with me Forever Kudos to Naughty Dog
  40. Aug 17, 2013
    Worst game ever. Not worth playing even if you got it for free. Graphics are too good, it just makes no sense to have something this uncanny in a video game. The story line is too good, I felt uncomfortable being blown away. But worst of all, there is just way too much character development, why would I want to feel this kind of emotional connection to a 14 year old girl? It's just silly.Worst game ever. Not worth playing even if you got it for free. Graphics are too good, it just makes no sense to have something this uncanny in a video game. The story line is too good, I felt uncomfortable being blown away. But worst of all, there is just way too much character development, why would I want to feel this kind of emotional connection to a 14 year old girl? It's just silly. Copy of CoD. Expand
  41. Aug 19, 2013
    Bitter sweet. Fantastic game and the plot accurately depicts how a situation such as this would conclude. Hey besides the phenomenal story there's a FPS mode online. That's pretty fun. Reminds me of Gears of War. Overall not the best game in the world, but it was up there. 9.5/10
  42. Aug 20, 2013
    The game is the best zombie game I've played The game is simply amazing There are few bad things about it thought Since everyone else is hailing this game i'll point out some of the flaws The Multiplayer can be fun but there are some balance issues. The single player is mostly awesome but there are few sections that can be a bit boring and there are some parts which are impossible toThe game is the best zombie game I've played The game is simply amazing There are few bad things about it thought Since everyone else is hailing this game i'll point out some of the flaws The Multiplayer can be fun but there are some balance issues. The single player is mostly awesome but there are few sections that can be a bit boring and there are some parts which are impossible to not get detected The ending is I'll just shut up than Well no game is flawless so 10 Expand
  43. Aug 22, 2013
    Sorry for my English, I'm from Poland.

A lot of producents thinks "Maybe we give new engine and that game will be the best", No. The Last Of Us have something, what other games never had climate in game. Without story that game will be have 6/10.

IT IS THE BEST GAME FOR PS3 EVER. AND THAT'S ALL.
  44. Aug 23, 2013
    I was starting to doubt if it was any good but once you see the incredibly emotional opening (even the opening credits shook me), and use the realistic, gruesome and fun violence, along with a story that is just amazing. The story is one of the best stories ever (including literature, film, TV or what have you). I loved these characters: Joel is a complete phucking badass and Ellie earnsI was starting to doubt if it was any good but once you see the incredibly emotional opening (even the opening credits shook me), and use the realistic, gruesome and fun violence, along with a story that is just amazing. The story is one of the best stories ever (including literature, film, TV or what have you). I loved these characters: Joel is a complete phucking badass and Ellie earns your passion. The music, the graphics, the sound are mind-blowing. Every goddamn thing about this game screams perfection. Naughty Dog stepped away from their cartoonish Uncharted and Jak & Daxter and got my heart pumped and passion burning bright red. I LOVE THIS GAME!!!!!! Either you go stealth or combat, it works out beautifully. It is one of the greatest games ever. Plain and simple. Those who disagree are completely blind or have not yet experienced the pure awesomeness of this game. The voice acting is among the best I've ever heard. Major replay value Expand
  45. Sep 4, 2013
    awesome maybe the best game ever made me cry more than ive ever cried in all video games combined and the combat was amazing especially the melee combat always made you on the edge
  46. Sep 12, 2013
    Yeah it's a 10. This game will really put you through it. The characters are best that I've ever come across in a video game and it isn't even close. The world design is brilliant and exactly what I would imagine in a post human environment. The story is also top notch and the developers really put their own unique stamp on the genre it really did seem plausible. The Uncharted gamesYeah it's a 10. This game will really put you through it. The characters are best that I've ever come across in a video game and it isn't even close. The world design is brilliant and exactly what I would imagine in a post human environment. The story is also top notch and the developers really put their own unique stamp on the genre it really did seem plausible. The Uncharted games were more lighthearted and fun (and also super great) but the Last of Us really reaches another level of immersion and gritty realism that I didn't think was possible with video games. It's something you just have to experience.

Naughty Dog is head and shoulders above other game design companies and I can't wait to see what they do for PS4. I will buy all of their games for years to come.
  47. Sep 12, 2013
    Right after finishing the game, I started questioning myself: If this that I've played is called "Game", Then what the hell I've been playing for the last 10 years????
  48. Sep 22, 2013
    Naughty Dog's second best game of all its releases. Only to be beaten by its best release Uncharted 2 Among Thieves. This game clearly has the best graphics, even better than Bioshock Infinite, Grand Theft Auto V and many other games that released later than this game. Its in game mechanics are amazing. The storyline's amusing and emotional. A great game worth buying. This was the firstNaughty Dog's second best game of all its releases. Only to be beaten by its best release Uncharted 2 Among Thieves. This game clearly has the best graphics, even better than Bioshock Infinite, Grand Theft Auto V and many other games that released later than this game. Its in game mechanics are amazing. The storyline's amusing and emotional. A great game worth buying. This was the first game i bought when i bought the PS3. Worth every penny. Guys u people should have this game in your collections list of PS3 games. This game is one to remember. Expand
  49. Sep 23, 2013
    The Last Of Us is one of the best games of 2013 and I really don't know what will be the Game Of The Year. I just finished Grand Theft Auto 5 and I played Bioshock Infinite. Those 3 games I loved the best games this year but The Last Of Us just stuck with me and got me emotionally attached. Do yourself a favor and get this game the gameplay is solid and you will connect with the characters.
  50. Dec 10, 2013
    There is not much i can say about this game. It's a masterpiece in storytelling,pacing and immersion the gameplay is very tight it's almost flawless and the the soundtrack fits perfectly with the game and it's hauntingly beautiful.The graphics and the scenery are breathtaking especially for a game that runs on an 8 year old console. The campaign is EPICLY long!! it took me almost 17 hoursThere is not much i can say about this game. It's a masterpiece in storytelling,pacing and immersion the gameplay is very tight it's almost flawless and the the soundtrack fits perfectly with the game and it's hauntingly beautiful.The graphics and the scenery are breathtaking especially for a game that runs on an 8 year old console. The campaign is EPICLY long!! it took me almost 17 hours to finish it the first and the second time and that's pretty impressive IMO for a single player game which is so good to be this long especially for today's standards, ohh and the campaign itself is EPIC. The game is almost perfect except there are a few glitches which i hated but they are minor problems compared to the full package of what this incredible game offers! Oh and there is MP which is very fun and unique.

There you have it i don't think there will ever be a game that will leave a special feeling in your heart like this! 10/10! if you don't play this you fail as a gamer simple as that.
  51. Dec 17, 2013
    When I wrote this review, 299 people gave a negative user score. I'm not sure if they played the same game that I did. From my countless hours spent on this games single player (I've hardly even touched the multiplayer), I can tell you that this game is among the best I've ever played, and anyone's likely to ever play. It's simply a masterpiece.
  52. Feb 17, 2014
    The Last of Us Review:
    Pros/ Good Points:
    The Last of Us Review:
    Pros/ Good Points:
    + It has one of the best stories ever told in videogame history, using not only cutscenes to tell the story, but gameplay as well, with in-game main and side conversations that truly make this game outstand. Incredible character development, with every single character adding something to the story. The best looking game of the generation with unbelievable lighting, colour palette and textures. Strong gameplay with a great and simple crafting system. Top notch audio design. Incredible music by Gustavo Santaolalla which developers used in the most appropriate moment, throughout the whole game. The multiplayer not only fits perfectly with the tone of the singleplayer experience, but also it is a hell of a fun to play and the only way you'll get higher levels will be by your skill in the game, and not the equipment you carry. Framerate rarely drops. I only experienced 3 or 4 technical glitches/bugs during my 3+ playthroughs. Though many complain, not letting the enemy AI find or notice Ellie is the best decission in terms of gameplay, though it can be a little game breaker. Ally AI is helpful, unlike most games.
    Cons/ Bad Points:
    - Enemy AI can be either too dumb or way to intelligent. Trophy list makes you replay the game at the very least 3 times if you want to get the platinum.
    Final thoughts and score:
    The Last of Us is the highest user rated game of the generation, and not for nothing. It achieves one of the best linear experiences with a really deep, touching and emotionall story that will stick within your mind weeks after beating it.
    Average Score: 10/10
  53. Feb 18, 2014
    The best game on PS3. The best game of 2013.
    Absolutely not "overrated" (which is a word thrown around all too often lately).
    The part that shines is the narrative, the characters, the dialogue, the environment, etc. The gameplay is like the Uncharted series but with a heavy focus on stealth, with the theme being survival horror. So think Uncharted + Metal Gear + Resident Evil.
    The best game on PS3. The best game of 2013.
    The gameplay is like the Uncharted series but with a heavy focus on stealth, with the theme being survival horror. So think Uncharted + Metal Gear + Resident Evil. Everything is done right. Controls are great.
    If you don't care about those qualities or the gameplay genre, play something else. If you do play this, do the world a favor and don't rate it because it'd be like a person with no taste buds rating classy cuisine.
  54. Feb 19, 2014
    10/10 This is my favorite game ever, the game play is stellar, with the crafting and challenging stealth give you satisfaction when you finally make it through a part.

The visuals are intense, contrasting from the gloomiest lows to the most beautiful outdoor parts. While the Playstation's ancient hardware leaves much to be desired, this game makes the best of it. With the help of

While the Playstation's ancient hardware leaves much to be desired, this game makes the best of it. With the help of some tricks Naughty Dog was able to maintain a mainly solid 30FPS at 720p. Unfortunately with that said the noisy PS3 can sometimes be a bother.

The story is where this game just leaves everything else behind, everything, ever, this game is an epic of a scale no other game even gets close to. Character so human with real reactions and no superpowers, it is a nice change to see.
  55. Sep 12, 2014
    Simply put, the best game ever made. Should be at the top of the list, GTAV, although a good game, should be second as it lacks a lot of stuff GTAIV had, Rockstar are MP benders and sold the SP short.
    The Last of Us was a defining moment in gaming and Naughty Dog are the kings of storytelling
  56. Sep 15, 2014
    Oyundaki diyaloglar beni hayran birakti oyunun ortasina kadar pek keyif almamistim ama arabayla avcilarin baskinina ugradiktan sonraki bolumler cok keyifliydi bir kac tane bug vardi henry ve samle sehirden kacarken dusman binanin icine dustu olmustum :D kesinlikle oynanmasi gereken bir oyun oyunun ana menusunden bonuslar kisminda joel ve ellie kiyafet alabilirsiniz
  57. Jun 15, 2013
    Amazing game, great levels and story events, but it don't deserve a score that high. It's a stealth/action third person game like many others. I would compare it to Hitman: Absolution with poorer graphics and a better storyline.
  58. Jun 16, 2013
    The Last of Us is an above average game, but no where near perfect. The world and characters are simply amazing and watching the story play out is one of the better experiences in video games. The game it's self is nothing more than above average. The graphics look great, character animations and interactions with the environment and each other are great to watch, but there are someThe Last of Us is an above average game, but no where near perfect. The world and characters are simply amazing and watching the story play out is one of the better experiences in video games. The game it's self is nothing more than above average. The graphics look great, character animations and interactions with the environment and each other are great to watch, but there are some definite issues with objects popping into and out of environments, including an entire building that I was in at one point, and a strange shimmer and glow to a lot of objects in the environment. The Uncharted-esque style of game play is translated fairly well, but does take some time to get used to. The gun play and stealth are again, above average, but do leave a little bit to be desired. There are collectibles hidden everywhere, and if you're into trophies you'll definitely have to play the game numerous times. Overall, I can't deny the enjoyment I got from this game, I beat the entire story in two sittings, including powering through the last 8 hours in one sitting. The story, world, and characters and simply amazing to watch, but with some strange graphical glitches, and some game play mechanics that just seem a little off on occasion, The Last of Us is an great game with some basic issues that are pretty easy to overlook, and should make you happy to be a gamer in 2013. Expand
  59. Jun 16, 2013
    I personally find 10 out of 10 a little bit overrated, and here's why:

I personally find 10 out of 10 a little bit overrated, and here's why:

It's still an incredible playthrough but very, very, linear. There are moment where you can't even go offtrack and explore around a little bit while I kind of expected it from the few trailers I've watched, while in other areas you suddenly gain a lot more freedom but are still very limited by impenetrable bushes and thin broken fences.

Combat becomes kind of repetitive after a while, it does look good and is animated really well but halfway through the game you keep seeing the same thing over and over again. It becomes really irritating when you have to redo the same part 10 times over because the sometimes clunky aiming controls with melee weapons in small rooms can cause a bit of trouble when dealing with those Clickers, or that you can't get your health up (or have no ability to craft health packs) at the very moment.

This is a bit of nitwitting and I know ND had to cut out some stuff somewhere, but at some parts the textures are really bad, I've seen some very low quality metal and glass alike textures and at several moments in the game I've seen clipping issues where the entire world started flickering or disappearing taking away from the immersion, at some points I could then even see through walls and what not. Near the end of the game I even ran into some NPC's that managed to catch me and I got to see a short cutscene of how they killed me, but in that cutscene I didn't see any environment at all, just the characters on a bluescreen background...

For me this game has no replay value at all, I was really pissed off when I figured out after playing the first 4 hours that it couldn't save my game... Even tho' I had patched the game the very morning and downloaded an additional 14gb for the language (I assumed English was on the PSN download already, but guessed wrong).

The ending (don't read if you don't want to spoil yourself in any way) is kind of '...ok, and now what'-ish. There doesn't really feel like any closure and it kind of left me wondering what's about to happen really.

I'd definitely recommend it for players that are into good single player story and character development but don't expect to make any choices themselves in doing so.

All in all a very good game but it's lack of openworld, repetitive combat and linear story deducts those 2 points for me, I give it an 8 out of 10.
  60. Sep 5, 2013
    This game is a truly phenomenal game,I literally cannot find an issue with it. It will draw you into the characters and make you genuinely care for them, the voice acting is flawless, and overall the game is fantastic from start to finish, and oh god that finish.
  61. Sep 15, 2013
    I'm currently half the way first playthrough but there is absolutely nothing that could spoil pure 10 score for this game. Awesome graphics, incredible story and probably most balanced stealth gameplay in history make this game one of top games ever made.

99% people with bad scores for this game are XBox trols because this is their only PS3 review after a lot of Box reviews. If you already don't have PS this is one of the games which make worth to buy. Hope they will make PS4 version and give us cheap upgrade!!!
  62. Nov 23, 2013
    Playing this game I got the same feeling as playing Half-Life 2(HL being in my top 3).
    Sure the game had some technical issues but story wise it was perfect; fun game play, one of the most enjoyable stealth time game. I think that I would like to have the possibility to move the bodys.
    The weapons have a very good feeling and the melee attacks the best I ever experienced. I got a very satisfying feeling when I could use successfully the bow and a shiv attack.
  63. Jun 23, 2013
    This game is amazing, so beautiful! the only thing I would have changed was to have the ability to choose what storylines to follow. like choosing your ending and seeing what happens after youve made the choice like 10 years in the future! But overall an amazing game! naughty dog killed!
  64. Jun 26, 2013
    Very rarely do books, movies or video games alike leave you feeling empty, tense and heartfelt all at the same time; the Last of Us did just that.

The Last of Us is set in a typical post-apocalyptic world which makes players vulnerable to subjecting the game to the clichés and the tropes it is founded on. As a result, Naughty Dog actively plays with these clichés to create a fresh and innovative world. Where the standard dark shades of brown in typical zombie environments usually dominate, the Last of Us opts for a rich, green environment which poetically demonstrates nature reclaiming the urban environment. Furthermore, we have the artefacts not only give pockets of information about the lost world but also document the lives of off-screen characters and how they coped with society’s decay. It is these small details that give the Last of Us a believable and enjoyable setting, whilst keeping with the overall sombre and broken tone.

Beyond the collectables and the environment, the storytelling in the Last of Us is where the game truly shines. In opting for a linear narrative, the game gets likened to that of a novel which allows it to effectively tell a story. Throughout the game, players are never actually given choice as to how the storyline proceeds which sets it apart from other apocalyptic games. Right from the prologue, we get the sombre and hopeless world, whilst caring and rooting for the characters, often to no avail.

That is where the focus of the game lies character interaction. Throughout the game you play as Joel, a middle-aged man hardened by the events of the outbreak who is accompanied by Ellie, a highly convincing, snark 14-year old girl. Their interactions serve to be one of the most endearing and realistic conversations in this generation’s games. Even secondary characters are given great depth which is very refreshing, with amazing voice acting complementing this remarkable cast of characters.

Where the Last of Us differs from its conventional gaming counterparts is its realism. The violence never feels gratuitous; rather it feels necessary in order to survive. Instead of opting for psychedelic drugs a la Far Cry, the game sticks to traditional human tactics such as stealth, crafting, and conventional weaponry.

As a result, the gameplay may feel lacklustre compared to those used to games such as Uncharted or Red Dead Redemption however that calculating gameplay only serves to add to that tense atmosphere. Everything from crafting and interacting are all done in real time which makes every action deliberate and urgent. Scavenging can be time consuming but is quite necessary to survive in this harsh world. This is especially true for harder game modes such as “Hard” and “Survivor” modes where supplies are scarce. From bullets, to alcohol, to rags and tape, everything you collect has purpose and how you use these tools is how Naughty Dog gives its players freedom. What was slightly disappointing was the lack of variety the crafting can be used for late game but that is a small complaint compared to the realistic gameplay the Last of Us offers.

Overall the game seems designed for older players, but as a teenager myself, I can recommend The Last of Us to any players looking for a good narrative, so long as they are mature enough to handle the dark themes the Last of Us deals with. Don’t go in a slave to expectations and I can guarantee you will go out with your emotional strings tugged, and a gaming experience unforgettable.

And the game ended perfectly.
  65. Jun 26, 2013
    I love this game, but I have some major issues with the gameplay and setpieces. Do not get me wrong, the game looks amazing, but that's the problem, the game "looks" so good that people forget to address the problems of the poor and boring 3 person shooting game. Downtime between shooting and story bits are filled with poorly made puzzle that serve no other purpose then to fill the time inI love this game, but I have some major issues with the gameplay and setpieces. Do not get me wrong, the game looks amazing, but that's the problem, the game "looks" so good that people forget to address the problems of the poor and boring 3 person shooting game. Downtime between shooting and story bits are filled with poorly made puzzle that serve no other purpose then to fill the time in between the shooting and the story or the next cutscene Expand
  66. Jul 2, 2013
    Aside from a sometimes wonky AI and a little too much ladder climbing, the flaws are totally compensated for by everything the game does right. Many good games I've played either have better story than gameplay or vice versa but The Last of Us excels at both. I would recommend this game for anyone.
  67. Jul 13, 2013
    A good game but certainly an overhyped one!The story is very interesting,but the ending is a little bit controversial.The characters ,and most importantly Joel and Ellie,are really realistic and interesting.The gameplay is a good one but not perfect.Overall, TheLastOfUs is one of the best video games of 2013,if not the best, but not the best one of this generation
  68. Jul 19, 2013
    EXTRAORDINÁRIO! Até hoje um dos melhores jogos que tive o privilégio de jogar, um inicio emocionante, enredo espetacular e final surpreendente.Controle do jogo muito bom, onde em diversas situações preciso ter paciência para realizar uma ação.Gráficos até então não visto em qualquer jogo lançado para esta geração, confirmando que o jogo utilizou todos os recursos possíveis doEXTRAORDINÁRIO! Até hoje um dos melhores jogos que tive o privilégio de jogar, um inicio emocionante, enredo espetacular e final surpreendente.Controle do jogo muito bom, onde em diversas situações preciso ter paciência para realizar uma ação.Gráficos até então não visto em qualquer jogo lançado para esta geração, confirmando que o jogo utilizou todos os recursos possíveis do console.Compra certa para quem gosta de um bom jogo.Garanto, vocês irão gostar muito do que vão ver! Expand
  69. Aug 5, 2013
    The Last of Us is what proved to me that video games are going exactly where I want them to go. This game concretes my argument that video games are not only the greatest interactive art form, or the greatest storytelling medium, but just the greatest art medium the world has to offer. It's a beautiful, emotionally agonizing, epic journey that is unmatched by an book I've read, paintingThe Last of Us is what proved to me that video games are going exactly where I want them to go. This game concretes my argument that video games are not only the greatest interactive art form, or the greatest storytelling medium, but just the greatest art medium the world has to offer. It's a beautiful, emotionally agonizing, epic journey that is unmatched by an book I've read, painting I've seen, Movie I've watched and so forth. The strange thing about the game is that the experience isn't your experience; It's Joel and Ellie's. Even though this is true, you create a massive emotional investment in the characters and everything they're going through. The story is told so flawlessly. It takes special pieces of their journey together and tells these bits at the perfect pace. The world Naughty Dog created is beautiful, yet depressing. The struggles and emotional hits the characters take in this dog-eat-dog world are hidden under the the green, bright, beautiful streets and woods. The Last of Us only has 2 issues; One being that the gameplay becomes bland at points. So much that you might be relieved when it's time for a cutscene. The other is very average AI. The Last of Us, for me, not only defined this generation of video games, but is the culmination of everything video games have been building towards for the past 40+ years. All of that said, the fact that the gameplay got bland in a video GAME stops it from being a 10 for me. Expand
  70. Aug 29, 2013
    muy buen juego, sin duda el mejor de su generación, por lejos vale la pena jugarlo les recomiendo probarlo y sin duda es lo mejor en este momento para esta consola, vamos denle los botos!!!.
  71. Sep 2, 2013
    9.7/10. A game being my favorite really just depends on my mood and what I want from a game at a given time, but right now, TLOU is my favorite game, bar none. The combat mechanics are a bit shaky, true, but I didn't buy this game and start playing it for a shoot-em-up style. The character writing is fantastic. The game is very linear but it doesn't feel that way, because you're often left9.7/10. A game being my favorite really just depends on my mood and what I want from a game at a given time, but right now, TLOU is my favorite game, bar none. The combat mechanics are a bit shaky, true, but I didn't buy this game and start playing it for a shoot-em-up style. The character writing is fantastic. The game is very linear but it doesn't feel that way, because you're often left to consider what you need to do next. The relationship between Joel and Ellie, and the world that they're traveling through, is beautiful. The storywriting and setting are stunning. I don't know what it is, but seeing civilization break down and become overgrown and largely back-to-nature once more is beautiful.

And then there's Ellie. I wouldn't call it a character-crush, but rather almost a fatherly affection. She is living example that the state of affairs in the world doesn't ruin everyone; Ellie is basically untouched by what is happening around her, and you very much feel the need to protect her (and her innocence) and keep her safe. And it's quite sad, in a way, to watch her become more accustomed to the world. Not to mention, she (along with Joel of course) is quite well written.

The game was short, and does not have much replay-ability, but I'm on my second playthrough simply because I enjoy walking around and seeing the setting so much.

I understand that there are nitpicks about the gameplay that turn people off the game, and they're entitled to that, but I believe that the game was certainly worth its hype. You can't quite put a finger on how perfect it is.
  72. Nov 20, 2013
    Un juego increíble, la trama te enganchará desde el primer minuto hasta el último, el modo historia dura mas de 15 horas, con una jugabilidad excepcional, te enganchará, va mas allá de lo que prometía, el doblaje esta genial, los gráficos son excelentes, los escenarios tan inmensos para poder indagar de casa en casa, para poder investigar, descubrir, tiene momentos de mucha tensión y masUn juego increíble, la trama te enganchará desde el primer minuto hasta el último, el modo historia dura mas de 15 horas, con una jugabilidad excepcional, te enganchará, va mas allá de lo que prometía, el doblaje esta genial, los gráficos son excelentes, los escenarios tan inmensos para poder indagar de casa en casa, para poder investigar, descubrir, tiene momentos de mucha tensión y mas de una vez te llevarás algún susto, una vez mas los creadores de Uncharted vuelven a sorprenderme con un juego exquisito y que pone el broche de oro al catalogo de Playstation 3, compra obligada, juego fascinante, totalmente recomendado. No te arrepentirás. Expand
  73. Jun 5, 2014
    A true masterpiece. I have never felt so engaged with characters of any game (or movie) like I did with these in the Last of Us. The story, the world, the music is all refreshingly honest.
  74. Jun 14, 2013
    Consider the recent New York Times review, which includes perceptive insights into the role of female characters in video games.

75. Jun 16, 2013
    This game, like all games, has its faults. Whether it's the save game messing up, having to find a ladder every 15 minutes. The Last of Us is a story that all of the other great stories will have to be compared to. The Stealth of this game is by far one of the best of any game. Their are very few choices but they are there, throughout the whole game you have a major choice. Are you goingThis game, like all games, has its faults. Whether it's the save game messing up, having to find a ladder every 15 minutes. The Last of Us is a story that all of the other great stories will have to be compared to. The Stealth of this game is by far one of the best of any game. Their are very few choices but they are there, throughout the whole game you have a major choice. Are you going to play stealthily or run in guns blazing. Expand
  76. Jun 27, 2013
    This game is hands down the best thing I have played in a long time. It had me more emotionally invested than I thought i could ever be in a game. You really feel the characters. Stories in games can sometimes be overdone or not realistic. And sometimes the animation doesn't live up to standards. But this game has everything. Literally, everything.
  77. Aug 7, 2013
    This is my favorite game this generation and possibly my best game ever as it's storytelling is excellent, voice acting is superb, graphics are extremely good, and the characters are very well made.Get this game now it may become your favorite too
  78. Feb 18, 2014
    As many of you know this a naught dog production, the same developers which produced the stellar uncharted series. It is set in a future post-apolyptic desolate setting of america and is based round a few key and vital characters. The story is about survival and gathering resources for your character to use in crafting aid items, weapon upgrades etc. The game is linear in nature howeverAs many of you know this a naught dog production, the same developers which produced the stellar uncharted series. It is set in a future post-apolyptic desolate setting of america and is based round a few key and vital characters. The story is about survival and gathering resources for your character to use in crafting aid items, weapon upgrades etc. The game is linear in nature however not that it detracts from its special cinematic sequences or it's beautiful yet eerie setting, plus there is subtle player choice to be had in naughty dog's latest outing say upgrading your weapons, crafting molotovs and first aid items like in rage the video game, very similar. The main aspects of the last of us is its realistic and wonderful graphics, stellar voice acting/animation and the feeling that grips you tight of how close you get to the two main characters in the game. There is certainly a emotional link to them throughout your adventure, and in time it will only grow. the combat system in the game is for the most part very smooth and fluid-like, you can sprint, jog, vault, take cover, sneak etc which all helps to take out your enemies in a stealthy manner or in a brutal, satisfying way. The game does from a story point of view pulls you right in and doesn't let go. It is a mix of survival horror/action adventure with both elements ever so subtle and seamless in their exchange. The aiming in the game is quite bothersome and has a lot of natural sway on the reticle, which can be reduced slightly by finding supplements and herbs to upgrade it with. The level design in the game is top notch, It is very diverse and with that allows you utter freedom to play the game how you want. The story line is very simple but expertly well done. And the ending in my opinion is truly satisfying and well scripted. The attention to detail with the graphics is outstanding, everything is so ironically full of life and colour, the water effects excel with everything i have ever seen. I do however have some minor gripes, but due to being so minor that they do not affect my final score, but there are infrequent graphical bugs, with items disappearing and entire parts of the game as well, but there are seldom seen and only last barely a second. And you can only alter the sensitivity of both analog sticks rather than individually change them. Also the cover mechanic is automated and sometimes you simply cannot stick to a certain wall and on occasion has given my position away. And i do also wish the survival skill system was more abundant in which you had more choice on given gameplay aspects like vaulting and running speed, melee moves, etc. The enemies are fantastic within the game and choose random paths, are quite perceptive and just generally fun to take out. The game has a multiplayer mode which has several modes and about 11 maps, the survival skills, crafting system, weapons, and gameplay mechanics are borrowed from the campaign, which is a good thing. It always for a slow paced and tense experience, certain mechanics are tweaked to allow for a more smoother and balanced play. And is generally a lot of fun, and the one of few multiplayers in which i have enjoyed and dedicated a lot of my time to. But with all the praise, the main reason i love this game is the colourful cast of characters and the emotionally driven storyline. Its a pure gem of a game and one that ill be playing for some years, a masterpiece. Expand
  79. Jun 27, 2013
    I have played the single player about 2 and a half times and not a second of got boring or repetitive. Great story, great graphics, great gameplay and solid AI. The multiplayer adds a good bonus to keep you playing and it in itself is unique. Their are very minor flaws such as AI sometimes break out of character but those quickly become an afterthought as the story will suck you back in.I have played the single player about 2 and a half times and not a second of got boring or repetitive. Great story, great graphics, great gameplay and solid AI. The multiplayer adds a good bonus to keep you playing and it in itself is unique. Their are very minor flaws such as AI sometimes break out of character but those quickly become an afterthought as the story will suck you back in. Totally worth $60 Expand
  80. Jun 16, 2013
    While, not a game for everyone, the Last of Us immerses you in its atmosphere so well that you feel you are right there in this apocalyptic zombie future. The motion capture, subtle emotion, and voice work are all top notch and the best I've ever seen/heard. Also, the vastness of space combined with the amount of detail in this game is jaw dropping. At times, I was so immersed I forgot IWhile, not a game for everyone, the Last of Us immerses you in its atmosphere so well that you feel you are right there in this apocalyptic zombie future. The motion capture, subtle emotion, and voice work are all top notch and the best I've ever seen/heard. Also, the vastness of space combined with the amount of detail in this game is jaw dropping. At times, I was so immersed I forgot I was watching a video game and felt like I was watching real people trek through a journey of survival. I think the overall gameplay experience will be a love it or hate it. Like some games that focus solely on action combat, this game focuses solely on survival combat. Theres not a lot of variety between core gameplay mechanics. Its always either stealth, survival combat, or environmental traversal. So if you love those mechanics, you'll love this game, but if you wish for something more, this game may not satisfy you completely. Also, this is not really a horror game, its a survival game. It not scary in the sense that when you see a monster you are horrified by its look and sound, its horrifying in the sense of hopelessness the present world evokes. Its horrifying to see how people now interact with each other because of this hopelessness in the world. The reason I didn't give the game a 10 was the survival of the main characters at times seemed so far fetched and forced to keep the story going. While I know this is just a "game" and pretty much every game does this, I think it stood out more in this game because everything else was so much more immersive. Also, the core gameplay wasn't my cup of tea. Overall tho, I enjoyed Naughty Dog's unique take on the zombie videogame genre. Expand
  81. Jul 4, 2013
    Can i give it 10 twice? I wish i could, because that's what this Masterpiece deserves! Few times in my life i was so engaged in a story, this script tops enven Walking Dead from telltale, it's awesome, the gameplay is so well polished, this for sure is the Game of Generation!
  82. Sep 5, 2013
    Although i had high expectations for this game, nothing could prepare me for the amazing experience i had with it. And it gradually gets better as you go on a journey across America. It is amazing how the developers managed to hold my attention from start to finish. The music, graphics, sound design, lovable characters, breathtaking story all of this things combined make this game not onlyAlthough i had high expectations for this game, nothing could prepare me for the amazing experience i had with it. And it gradually gets better as you go on a journey across America. It is amazing how the developers managed to hold my attention from start to finish. The music, graphics, sound design, lovable characters, breathtaking story all of this things combined make this game not only best Ps3 exclusive but the best game I have ever played. My biggest problem now is that I don't know if I will ever play a game that is as good. Great job guys at Naughty Dog. You have proven once again that you are at the top of the gaming industry. Expand
  83. Jun 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pros:The technology,graphics/physics is like a half PS4 game,Pro logic 2 support!.Story,Joel..
    Cons:The ending is a cliffhanger and there will be a trilogy again...i never gonna understand why need to make every game a trilogy!? This is a true masterpice and masterpice games do not need idiot sequels.
    im dissapointed in Naughty Dog because they said this: No sequel planned for The Last of Us
  84. Jun 16, 2013
    Having been affected by the AutoSave glitch I started off pretty much hating this game... Having to replay 7 hours on the trot makes a guy really pick out the things he dislikes about a game: camera is too close to Joal when sneaking, slightly heavy controls and cumbersome movement, too much repetition (go here fight these guys, go here fight these guys), the recycled soundtrack used overHaving been affected by the AutoSave glitch I started off pretty much hating this game... Having to replay 7 hours on the trot makes a guy really pick out the things he dislikes about a game: camera is too close to Joal when sneaking, slightly heavy controls and cumbersome movement, too much repetition (go here fight these guys, go here fight these guys), the recycled soundtrack used over and over in different tones...

However, once I caught up with my original play through I started warming to it again. I am seeing a lot of 10/10 scores for this game which leads me to suspect that professional games reviewers are a bit like sheep, with no-one daring to buck the trend... and whilst I don't think its a 10/10 game it is certainly VERY GOOD. The voice acting and animation are second to none and the visuals are very impressive. The sound effects are fitting and the music does occasionally change to a different track once in a while... I think the crafting system could have been much deeper and also the skills that you level up make little to no difference on the easier modes, so that could have done with tweaking...

I recently reviewed remember me on the Xbox... to me this game feels a lot like that did in the sense that something great was made but a masterpiece was possible. I love everything they did with the direction of this game... I just wanted even more (hunting for food, more craftable items, a deeper skill system...).

A must play game of this generation. Makes you wonder why we even need the XBOXONE and PS4...
  85. Jun 16, 2013
    Ok, I like this game but it wasn't what I was expecting. It's a great story, great atmosphere, sound effects, music, etc. The shooting mechanics are very clunky which makes shooting difficult (for me at least). I was expecting a game more focused on gameplay rather than story and atmosphere. I thought it would have a lot of platforming and puzzles but it hardly has any. And anyone thatOk, I like this game but it wasn't what I was expecting. It's a great story, great atmosphere, sound effects, music, etc. The shooting mechanics are very clunky which makes shooting difficult (for me at least). I was expecting a game more focused on gameplay rather than story and atmosphere. I thought it would have a lot of platforming and puzzles but it hardly has any. And anyone that wrote a review here that said that graphics are good, hasn't actually played the game because the graphics are absolute garbage, for any developers standards, let alone ND which is supposed to be the best in the biz when it comes to graphics. The design of the levels are really good, but it looks terrible. I was really upset with this game because I have been looking forward to it for so long. It still gets an 8 because despite the issues I mentioned, its still a great game my expectations were just too high... oh yeah, multiplayer is garbage too but at least they have round based, non respawn Expand
  86. Jun 16, 2013
    Excellent and good game, but I expect more of this and the reason that the ads suggest you do so!
    We hope to be next to be much better by adil khojah from saudi arabiya
  87. Jun 17, 2013
    If The Walking Dead and I am Legend had a baby it would be The Last of Us. You can truly appreciate the work done here by Naughty Dog. Their heart and soul was poured into this game and it shows it. The story was written by writer of both Uncharted 1 and 2 and he delivers magic once again. The introduction is arguably in the top 10 and the story continues to impress until its finalIf The Walking Dead and I am Legend had a baby it would be The Last of Us. You can truly appreciate the work done here by Naughty Dog. Their heart and soul was poured into this game and it shows it. The story was written by writer of both Uncharted 1 and 2 and he delivers magic once again. The introduction is arguably in the top 10 and the story continues to impress until its final moments. The characters are well designed and the use of experienced actors help convey the fear the protagonists are going through as they adventure into the most detailed environment seen in a game to date. Stealth and kicking in the front door guns blazing fans rejoice! The player determines how they want to take on the game whether it be whipping out the firearm and taking on the Clickers head on or sneak around the corner and Shiv them to death, the choice.. ultimately yours. The use of physical objects is a great touch, however one could argue that there would be more out there then a single brick, a glass bottle, a baseball bat and a two by four to meddle with in a post apocalyptic world. The scarcity of bullets makes the player count their chickens prior to an engagement, a rather nice touch. The sound is top notch turn up the volume and get ready to jump in fright. The music is perfect. There is not much you can criticize this game is the overall package. If the end of the world was from a zombie attack, The Last of Us is a believable representation of what might happen. Overall this game is highly enjoyable and recommended to anyone. Expand
  88. Jun 17, 2013
    I have mixed feelings about this game, overall the game is awesome and it is a definite buy (greatest hits most likely).

But... I have some problems.. I felt like I was promised more then what I got. (not content wise, mind you) but mechanic wise, from watching trailer after trailer and game-play video after game-play video (prior to release), I felt like the game was more serious

But... I have some problems..
    I felt like I was promised more then what I got. (not content wise, mind you) but mechanic wise, from watching trailer after trailer and game-play video after game-play video (prior to release), I felt like the game was more serious (towards weapons) then it currently is.

For example, there is a game-play video (from E3 2012) (one of the firsts, and it's obvious they made some changes to the story and the way you get to certain points are different then the video) but it was the game-play that stood out (in the video), bullets were scarce and the fighting seemed extremely realistic (as you point a gun to someone who doesn't have one (they will act all scared and flee or beg for their life), I have not seen this once (even at the same location). Usually the character just fights you even if you have a gun, I felt stupid pointing a gun to someone as they just flailed at me with their fists.

I guess I can't expect a game from Naughty Dog; that never promised anything, and from a video that is over a year old.

The real reason I played the game though (and kept playing through thick-and-thin), is for the story.

What an amazing story.

Bravo Naughty Dog.
  89. Jun 18, 2013
    Just a beautyful game for ps3!!! Just a right way to end this gen with a such a masterpiece! Looking forward to seee what naughty dog gonna make to PS4. Cant wait ,hope they make a simiöar last of us with the ps4 machine. Couöd be soo awesome
  90. Jun 18, 2013
    The low scores surprises me. This game is awesome in both story telling and compelling you to play. It is top notch in presentation and the game mechanics are tuned and tight. Want to try a stealthy approach...go for it. Balls out-guns blazing...give it a shot.

I give a nod to ND as I did love Uncharted 3 but I am rating the game on this game. Not every dev puts out a stunning game.(Blizzard Diablo 3 was a let down for me and I am a Blizzard fan.)

If you own a ps3 you deserve this treat.
  91. Jun 19, 2013
    One word, MATERPIECE! This is the most beautiful game that I have played in a long time. The gameplay, graphics, voice acting, and overall flow of the game are spot on which is typical for the best developers in the business Naughty Dog. They truly outdid themselves with this one and I cant wait to see what they will do next for the ps4! Any gamer owes it to themselves to experience one ofOne word, MATERPIECE! This is the most beautiful game that I have played in a long time. The gameplay, graphics, voice acting, and overall flow of the game are spot on which is typical for the best developers in the business Naughty Dog. They truly outdid themselves with this one and I cant wait to see what they will do next for the ps4! Any gamer owes it to themselves to experience one of if not the best game of this console genration. Expand
  92. Jun 19, 2013
    I am speechless, absolutely flawless. What an experience! This is some milestone type of game for the video game industry right there. Naughty Dog really over got over themselves. Imagine what they can do with the Playstation 4, can't wait!
  93. Jun 19, 2013
    I have always said that my favourite games of all time are Zelda OoT, Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy (8&10) as they are great childhood memories, however this game is now in my top 5 games I have played... Ever! I prefer Playstation however I have been more of a 360 gamer apart from PS3 exclusives (although PS4 seems to have sorted things out for online chat etc) but noI have always said that my favourite games of all time are Zelda OoT, Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy (8&10) as they are great childhood memories, however this game is now in my top 5 games I have played... Ever! I prefer Playstation however I have been more of a 360 gamer apart from PS3 exclusives (although PS4 seems to have sorted things out for online chat etc) but no matter what your preferred console is ANY bad review for this game is just retarded and a joke on you for wasting your time. Naughty Dog amazed me with Uncharted but TLOU is better, honestly this game is just pure epic and is better then ANY game I have played in the last 10 years. Some people on here say Bioshock was better, I was a massive fan of Bioshock 1 but I actually sold Bioshock Infinite without even getting half way through the game. Anyway if you still reading reviews on this (I know I'm a bit late to write a review but I've been playing the game) just go out and buy it! I rate MGS incredibly high in my best games ever list and TLOU I actually prefer over MGS4. Don't know what else to say but a massive thank you to the whole team at Naughty Dog, I will be playing this game for years to come and buying old consoles in 10 years time to play it again. Masterpiece and its up there with the best games of all time for me. Brilliant Game!! Expand
  94. Jun 19, 2013
    This game is very detailed it's outstanding. You have to play the game correctly (something Tom Chick at quarter to three obviously didn't do) which means intelligently. Sometimes you will have no choice but to stealth around the enemy with a solid stealth system and at other times stealth isn't an option and you have to smartly use every resource available to survive encounters. The gameThis game is very detailed it's outstanding. You have to play the game correctly (something Tom Chick at quarter to three obviously didn't do) which means intelligently. Sometimes you will have no choice but to stealth around the enemy with a solid stealth system and at other times stealth isn't an option and you have to smartly use every resource available to survive encounters. The game isn't hard if your smart about encounters with enemys, it can be repetitive but it firmly sets it in reality. One section of the game see's you getting a car, another see's you escaping a city, they're all sensible goals which ground the last of us in reality. The story is sweet and touching but the ending took me a while of thinking to properly appreciate it.

But I would be lying if I didn't say the highlights of the last of us are in the story and fighting. The true highlight is exploring the world, some people say the last of us is very linear but the areas you can explore are big and full of hidden rooms and areas with loads of detail. At one point you have to walk down a street but you can enter two of the houses with multiple floors and rooms that feel lived in. I found a note from a 12 year old who over heard his parents speaking about family deaths and had to release his dog into the wild. it was sweet and when I walked downstairs I found Ellie and one of our companions playing darts and talking. It was a touching moment and the game is full of loads of moments like this as long as you look for it. If you run straight through you'll run out of ammo, die regulary, and finish the game to soon and call the game overhyped.

Overall 10/10 this game is special and extremly well made, you need to play this game to experience it
  95. Jun 19, 2013
    Visually engaging, and with a plot-line that deserves the good reviews, the Last of Us has the same style that Naughty Dog has been bringing to its fans with Uncharted. Being worth the 2 year (or more) development time, the experience is the zombie stuff you always see in these kinds of shooter games, but with some added preservatives (lawl) and an eye for detail, the developers have keptVisually engaging, and with a plot-line that deserves the good reviews, the Last of Us has the same style that Naughty Dog has been bringing to its fans with Uncharted. Being worth the 2 year (or more) development time, the experience is the zombie stuff you always see in these kinds of shooter games, but with some added preservatives (lawl) and an eye for detail, the developers have kept putting in a reason to keep people attached to the game. Expand
  96. Jun 19, 2013
    The Last of Us is a must own. With great gameplay, stellar visuals, and phenomenal voice acting, The Last of Us is a masterpiece. The game is a survival game. And, just like a real apocalypse, you care for your partners and kill to survive. Many other survival games nail the "survive" factor but cannot create a human-like attachment between characters. Naughty Dog has nothing to proveThe Last of Us is a must own. With great gameplay, stellar visuals, and phenomenal voice acting, The Last of Us is a masterpiece. The game is a survival game. And, just like a real apocalypse, you care for your partners and kill to survive. Many other survival games nail the "survive" factor but cannot create a human-like attachment between characters. Naughty Dog has nothing to prove and might have just made the best game of the year. Joel and Ellie might be the best duo in years (much better than Mario and Luigi). Truly The Last of Us is the epitome of a great video game. Expand
  97. Jun 19, 2013
    The most outstanding game of this fading generation. Naughty Dog have created something so unique and so beautiful, and yet profound and heart-breaking at the same time. I've been made to truly care about the characters and what happens to them, in a way I didn't think was possible in a video game. This coupled with varied and thoughtful gameplay makes for a wonderful viewing/playingThe most outstanding game of this fading generation. Naughty Dog have created something so unique and so beautiful, and yet profound and heart-breaking at the same time. I've been made to truly care about the characters and what happens to them, in a way I didn't think was possible in a video game. This coupled with varied and thoughtful gameplay makes for a wonderful viewing/playing experience. The gameplay itself consists of stealth, problem-solving, gun-play and scavenging. These all blend together, and mean the gameplay never feels repetitive or boring. I particularly like the way the main two characters interact and work together in certain parts of the game. The wide range of landscapes, and the mix of slower paced, and sometimes hectic gameplay means you won't want to put down your controller. The graphics are truly phenomenal, making excellent use of lighting and shadows, and an insane amount of detail is embedded throughout. The collision of urban and jungle environments makes for a breathtakingly beautiful, yet believable world. In fact, it makes you question whether we need next-gen consoles with graphics like this! The music is sets the tone of the game, and does a wonderful job of injecting the right emotion into the on-screen action, both in cut-scenes and actual gameplay. All these components together create an unforgettable gaming experience. If you're after a non-stop, action packed game such as Uncharted, then perhaps you're looking in the wrong place. But if you're looking for a beautiful, immersive, emotional, character-driven, cinematic game with a compelling storyline, and amazing graphics and gameplay, then you will not be disappointed. The Last of Us is without a doubt the best game I've ever played, and after you have experienced it, I'm sure you will feel the same way! Expand
  98. Jun 19, 2013
    I can't help but give this a perfect 10. This was one of the best journeys I have taken as a gamer and as a lover of a beautiful story told through gameplay, conversation, gestures, relationships and the evolution of an individual and their experiences. I have never felt so immersed in a game and felt so connected to the protagonists. Never felt cheap and always had a surprise around everyI can't help but give this a perfect 10. This was one of the best journeys I have taken as a gamer and as a lover of a beautiful story told through gameplay, conversation, gestures, relationships and the evolution of an individual and their experiences. I have never felt so immersed in a game and felt so connected to the protagonists. Never felt cheap and always had a surprise around every corner. A hefty 16 hours to beat and huge replay value. Bravo Naughty Dog. A masterpiece in every sense of the word. Expand
  99. Jun 19, 2013
    After fully beating the game on Hard, I can say that this was one hell of a ride. Some characters you bond with right off the bat, and once there gone, you feel sorrow. The game is extremely depressing at times, but also gives you life.
    The combat is a really nice change up from your average third person games. The hand to hand combat, the gun play, and character movements feel great.
    The voice acting also adds to the experience.
    The whole concept of crafting was a nice addition.

Some things that kind of upset me were the fact the graphics did not look or at least as great as the Uncharted games, then again, the tone of the game was completely different, and it may just be the art direction.
    Another thing that really upset me was the character Joel. You learn to love him, but by the end, I got mixed feelings about him.
    Other things that upset me were points such as only finding bricks and bottles to throw. With such a variety of things around the environment, I got the feel you should have been able to use them. Also while finding plenty of bags across the grounds, we could have had the chance to scavenge more.
    There were plenty of pop in effects, and tears in some parts of the game. In environments to be exact.. Another thing that irritated me was the water physics. Not as good as Uncharted. But since this is my little rant on what I did not like. I really cant take points off from Naughty Dog.
    Naughty Dog did a phenomenal job on this game. And although it seems that this is a standalone game, I feel that there is still much to be seen from Naughty Dog for this game, and hoping we see more installments in the PS4 life.
  100. Jun 19, 2013
    The Last of Us is the best post-apocalyptic game I've ever seen. The characters are well portrayed and look really alive. AI can be annoying sometimes, but it's insignificant compared to all the positive sides of this game.

1. Sep 16, 2013
  2. Sep 10, 2013
  3. Official PlayStation Magazine Benelux
    Sep 4, 2013
    Despite the breakneck pace of the prologue, it takes quite a while for The Last of Us to pick up some speed again. However, once the cold harsh winter arrives, the action (and story) ramps up. So much so, it puts most Hollywood productions to shame. [July 2013, p.76]