The Last of Us PlayStation 3

• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Jun 14, 2013
9.2

1. Jul 27, 2013
    To some who talk about the cooperative AI-sneaking, imagine how frustrating the game would be when an AI-controlled characters keeps blowing your cover. I think Naughty Dog had to choose between being absolutly responsable for your actions or dependence of other non-controllable characters and chose wisely
  2. Jul 27, 2013
    Aside from the AI issue with making noise when silence is necessary, this game is pretty much perfect, the story is incredible, the characters are believable, and the gameplay is enjoyable. No other game has ever drawn me in and made me care like this game did
  3. Jul 30, 2013
    I have been waiting for a long time to play this game (being a big fan of previous games by Naughty Dog) and they have not let me down. The story is engulfing, the characters believable, the action very tense, the atmosphere wonderfully grimy and best of al, the gameplay is a great mix between stealth, action, some small puzzle-like things and a bit of RPG thrown in.

I give it a 9,

I give it a 9, because the AI could still be improved upon.

What I don't understand is how some people can give this game a "0" I understand the game is maybe not everybody's cup of tea, but giving it a "0" is the worst insult you can give this game. I wonder if these people also give "0" to The Godfather or Shawshank Redemption? Just trashing a game because others like it?
  4. Jul 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game was very good and nicely story driven. As an escort mission it did not feel like you were being held back apart from the fact that Ellie could not swim, but that was not a big issue and it added to the story and gameplay.
    I do feel like the combat was repetitive sometimes and dragged on a bit. One of the major downsides that annoyed me way to much was that a lot of the combat sections towards the end ended up with me constantly dying and start from the beginning of that section again. This could of been the fact that I may be a bad player and I played on "Normal" difficulty, but I don't think that is exactly the case.
    The story was amazing and could not have been done better (apart from the ending which left me slightly agitated). The whole concept and the way it was executed by the whole team who worked on this game at Naughty Dog was fantastic.

Due to specific combat mechanics that aren't under my favour I won't give this a 10/10 but apart from that, this game was amazing and is a must-have.
  5. Jul 31, 2013
    The Last of Us surely is worth your money. It boasts a gripping story, fantastic graphics, intense gameplay and of course the best part is definitely the characters and the voice-acting. My only gripe is the ending, I have very mixed emotions about it and without giving anything away, it just felt abrupt and I'm not sure I can fully like it as much as the rest of the story but overall theThe Last of Us surely is worth your money. It boasts a gripping story, fantastic graphics, intense gameplay and of course the best part is definitely the characters and the voice-acting. My only gripe is the ending, I have very mixed emotions about it and without giving anything away, it just felt abrupt and I'm not sure I can fully like it as much as the rest of the story but overall the story is top notch. It beats out most Hollywood blockbusters in terms of quality. The highlight is definitely the relationship between Joel and Ellie.

The gameplay is fairly simple. There's shooting, there's looting and there's crafting. The crafting is very addictive and thanks to the new game plus, I'm able to craft stuff that I didn't in my first run.

It does have its glitches from time to time like for example, there was a part in the game where I was sneaking up on this soldier and all of a sudden Ellie ran in front of him but the soldier didn't notice her....or even saw her for that matter and keep in mind that Ellie was running around in front of him.

Overall, the game is one of the best out there and one that I didn't mind paying full price for. It's a must buy. Hope this review helped
  6. Jul 31, 2013
    I absolutely love this game. Every time I play i get drawn into the world an actually feel like I am fighting to survive. Game play is fun and inventive and the characters give of believable emotion. The only reason i give this an 8 is because the graphics are severely lacking. If this would have been on PC it would have been visually stunning. As on now my game of Skyrim looks like ti wasI absolutely love this game. Every time I play i get drawn into the world an actually feel like I am fighting to survive. Game play is fun and inventive and the characters give of believable emotion. The only reason i give this an 8 is because the graphics are severely lacking. If this would have been on PC it would have been visually stunning. As on now my game of Skyrim looks like ti was released a few weeks ago and this was released in 2011. Putting that aside this game is very entertaining and will provide you with a thrilling story that will have you wanting to come back and play more. Expand
  7. Aug 4, 2013
    simply a wonderful game to end the generation. The characters are well developed, the world that has been created is interesting and bleak, the combat is intense and enjoyable and the overall tone and emotion of the game is something that is completely unique. There are moments within this game that truly must be experienced. it is a shame it is on only on the playstation as every deservessimply a wonderful game to end the generation. The characters are well developed, the world that has been created is interesting and bleak, the combat is intense and enjoyable and the overall tone and emotion of the game is something that is completely unique. There are moments within this game that truly must be experienced. it is a shame it is on only on the playstation as every deserves to play this wonderful game. Expand
  8. Aug 5, 2013
    This game not only offers a fantastic audio-visual presentation, it also takes game play to a new level. While being extremely brutal, violence is a part of the "reality" Joel and Ellie live in.
    The game play is smooth but also very intense. Not being a "horror" fan, the suspense was sometimes almost to much for me. But Last of Us also delivers a great (and in some aspects in the context of male-focused games even women-empowering) story. You will almost certainly connect emotionally to the characters.
    I played the game together with my brother, exchanging the controller regularly. I still was never bored.
    A epic milestone in game development!

Whats missing for 10points? A bit more AI for the emenies and sometimes our sidekicks.
  9. Aug 5, 2013
    I first bought his game two days ago and I think it's really good. However, the only things that ticked me off a little bit were the graphics and the really low amount of ammo per gun. Nonetheless, I do kinda think the low ammunitin "issue"(in my opinion)is actually a good feature of the game, cause it motivates you to be really precise about your shots, which makes you seem like aI first bought his game two days ago and I think it's really good. However, the only things that ticked me off a little bit were the graphics and the really low amount of ammo per gun. Nonetheless, I do kinda think the low ammunitin "issue"(in my opinion)is actually a good feature of the game, cause it motivates you to be really precise about your shots, which makes you seem like a hardcore killer. Another thing, Ellie is now becoming my favorite character in the game, because she has awesome killing skills which makes me remind her of Hit-Girl from Kick-Ass also, I do feel a little funny saying this, but I'm getting kinda attracted to Ellie lol. Overall it's an awesome game! :D Expand
  10. Dec 4, 2014
    Excelente Juego. Proximamente puntaje para la versión Remastered. Animación única, al nivel de los grandes, excelente apartado gráfico, originalidad y jugabilidad. GOTY 2013.
  11. Aug 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There is something in The Last of Us that calls everyone´s attention, and that called my own attention when I started playing as Sarah. The immersion level on this game is incredible. The animations on playable characters such as Joel or Ellie, the amazing graphics (for a console); this is perhaps the best-looking game I have ever played on a console, and I can´t wait for Naughty Dog´s release on the PS4. Voice acting is gorgeous and the game´s plot is just genius, mixing a post-apocalyptic setting with the super complex relation between Joel and Ellie. The protagonists´ character development is one of the best I have ever seen, and the ending is one of the most unexpected ones I have ever experienced in a game.
    However, this game fails in being an actual GAME. Fight sequences are amazing the first couple of times. My first personal encounter with clickers was tremendously difficult to overcome and I had to replay it over and over again. But when you get used to the fighting gameplay and you familiarize with the not-so-good enemy AI, gameplay starts getting kind of repetitive. In my opinion, gameplay is one of the most important parts of a game.
    Another problem I found was that enemy skins kept repeating themselves over and over again! I think I killed the same bandit like fifty times!! I couldn´t believe that a game where each room you enter tells you a story without saying a single word, didn´t have a wider variety of skins!!
    I played the game just once, as I believe that replaying this game would ruin the amazing memory I have of the first gameplay. I played it in normal difficulty, knowing some people that had to change the difficulty to easy because it was too much for them. I couldn´t believe they had to do that!! Reaching the final chapters I was literally able to predict every single movement a clicker or a human would make. The game became so much easier... One of the things I love to see in games is a consistent challenge, never letting you master the game, as difficulty keeps increasing more and more. This was nonexistent in The Last of Us. Perhaps in a few months, after I have lent the game to all my friends, I will replay it on the hard difficulty.
    Level design was excellent, plot was excellent, character and enemy design were GORGEOUS although repetitive, difficulty *meh...*, voice acting was incredible, gameplay was repetitive, top notch, high-quality violence everywhere (loved it). I think this game was a little bit overrated. It won´t ever be the "BEST GAME EVER", but it will surely remain in the heart and memory of anyone who plays it. Thus, my score.
  12. Aug 9, 2013
    Abandon hope all ye who shall enter here!! That's certainly the theme here and as I'm concerned,its a good thing! The Last Of Us is made by the very talented team known as Naughty Dog and if your familiar with the uncharted series,you would only expect the best when it came storytelling and they DO NOT disappoint! So lets start off with the good points of this game shall we! Graphics:Abandon hope all ye who shall enter here!! That's certainly the theme here and as I'm concerned,its a good thing! The Last Of Us is made by the very talented team known as Naughty Dog and if your familiar with the uncharted series,you would only expect the best when it came storytelling and they DO NOT disappoint! So lets start off with the good points of this game shall we! Graphics: Incredible!! Naughty Dog pushes the ps3 to its limits,even out doing uncharted 3 with detailed area's beautiful water and smoke effects,fires,ruined buildings etc!! Sound: its average at best until you reach the clickers,their odd sounds will surely be unsettling when you enter dark rooms or new area's. Game mechanics: average at best,controls are tight and responsive and the duck and cover mechanic is very similar to the uncharted series right down to the hand to hand combat but certain weapons like bats, 2 x 4's and shiv's make the fighting a tad more interesting. Story: again its a average at best as its your standard run of the mill zombie apocalypse story where your character must fight to survive who then,meets someone who's immune to the virus and must now create cure to save humanity....the last of us almost never treads new ground as many games and movie's has all too often shown us the dangers of a zombie apocalypse,so why is the last of us worth playing if my review sounds kinda negative save for the graphics? Easy, Joel and ellie!! Although they follow your typical, guy who lost his daughter and refuses to love another child/ ellie,who's your spunky yet average stereotype foul mouth lovable teen, I found it hard NOT to like them as they struggled to form a working relationship. This is where naughty dog took an average,by the numbers story and somehow turn it into a masterpiece! Now the bad points: Enemies: 100% of the time the enemies WILL NOT ATTACK whoever your with if they don't see you first!! It sucks the "survival" aspect and belief right out of game and the player along with it for that matter which ruins the experience. Shiv's can only be used once(or three times if you have three) which i find odd,if you kill a clicker with a shiv( best option people) it magically disappears even when using it too unlock special doors filled with precious resources,but i guess they didn't want players spamming it.Ammo: while its not ABUNDANT its more than enough to get by on since joel has many weapons to use to dispatch his would be dispatchers like the bow,shotgun,sniper rifle,sawed off shotgun and about three hand guns,couple that with the (preferred)option of stealth kills and your basically a god until you play with ellie who gets far less ammo and weapons. Other than those complaints,this average game goes far beyond the limits of other zombies apocalypse games and delivers something truly special. Pick this game up and add it to the list of impressive games that's exclusive to the ps3's library,you won't regret it! 9 out of 10 Expand
  13. Aug 11, 2013
    The Last of Us is simply one of the best games ever made. Do not listen to the hate you may have seen from Tom Chick from Quarter to Three (considering he gave Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 an 8/10) or in the YouTube comments calling it "overrated" and an "interactive movie." The Last of Us is a splendid journey that will take you around 18-20 hours with many scenes that will leave youThe Last of Us is simply one of the best games ever made. Do not listen to the hate you may have seen from Tom Chick from Quarter to Three (considering he gave Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 an 8/10) or in the YouTube comments calling it "overrated" and an "interactive movie." The Last of Us is a splendid journey that will take you around 18-20 hours with many scenes that will leave you speechless showing the worst humanity can do to each other. I can't say much about the campaign without spoiling it, but its certainly one of the best single player experiences one could ask for. This game is not an interactive movie. There is plenty of gameplay. The only gameplay flaws I can see are some bad AI that can break the immersion, but this only becomes an annoyance and doesn't ruin the experience in any way.

The Last of Us also comes with a fulfilling multiplayer experience. Its in no way the focus and premises of the game, so if you buy games only for multiplayer, then go back to COD. Multiplayer is in no way perfect; but its unique and a challenge to master. Players must work together in order to survive and eliminate the other team. However, be warned, many players are a bit stupid. There have been plenty of instances where I am down and a teammate who is standing next to me clear as day lets me die. Be prepared for moments like this, help your team if you really want to win. One annoyance I found was the challenges. You have a population that you build up as you play multiplayer more that you need to feed and make sure stay healthy, but many times you'll be greeted with a challenge saying "Get 3 Shiv kills or 100 of your population dies." Its extremely annoying and you are greeted with it a lot, but in no way ruins this otherwise excellent multiplayer experience in this single player focused game.

The Last of Us is a remarkable game on Naughty Dog's part, they have created maybe their best game yet. Any hate you find on this game are just trolls trying to get people angry or think everything needs to be open world and non-linear. The Last of Us is a linear experience, but its an excellent linear experience, it in no way holds your hand at all. A must own for anybody with a PS3. If you own a PS3 and do not purchase this title then your PS3 should be taken away. Simple as that.
  14. Aug 14, 2013
    Wow. Great job ND. I am torn between letting this game stand alone and badly wanting a sequel just to continue to play in the world you created. Graphically awesome, characters awesome, loved the story, gameplay epic. Great audio and gun physics btw. I finished it last night and was left with such mixed emotions. Loved the way it wrapped up but felt sad that I was done. I don't play gamesWow. Great job ND. I am torn between letting this game stand alone and badly wanting a sequel just to continue to play in the world you created. Graphically awesome, characters awesome, loved the story, gameplay epic. Great audio and gun physics btw. I finished it last night and was left with such mixed emotions. Loved the way it wrapped up but felt sad that I was done. I don't play games again once I've finished them typically but I just might go back through for the Plus Mode. Ok, I'm not torn, please make a sequel!!!!!!! Expand
  15. Aug 14, 2013
    This game is amazing very fun and has a very realistic story (it is believable) I had no glitches when played but I heard cases of glitches but that's because of the ps3. It is worth 60 bucks this game personally Is the best game I have ever played (note if you play this game it may leave a large impact on you emotionally if you have a heart) I give it a 10/10 for its meaningful game thatThis game is amazing very fun and has a very realistic story (it is believable) I had no glitches when played but I heard cases of glitches but that's because of the ps3. It is worth 60 bucks this game personally Is the best game I have ever played (note if you play this game it may leave a large impact on you emotionally if you have a heart) I give it a 10/10 for its meaningful game that is a beautiful masterpiece and I consider it art and it's story is better than all the movies I have ever watched in my opinion. 10/10 if you don't have this game shame on you. Get out of your box and get the game!!!!!! Expand
  16. Aug 14, 2013
    The last of us has the most spectacular single player campaign on the ps3 console, no if, buts or maybes.
    The detail and Obvious effort put into the last of us raises the bar for competing console games, and my standards as a gamer.
    The last of us really show's what these 5 year old consoles are still capable of. I won't give much detail on the game itself, so no spoilers, I'll simply
    I won't give much detail on the game itself, so no spoilers, I'll simply state that it's amazing, and worth your time.
    Multiplayer In the last of us is done very well, the only real down fall is the community it's self, partially due to the way kills work, people will constantly take your kills, hang behind you so you weaken the enemy and then pounce once you've left the rooms safer, this can be very frustrating at times, there are also only two modes, but they are very good modes.
    This is a game that cannot be missed, even if you rarely buy a game, let the last of us be that game!.
  17. Aug 15, 2013
    The Last of Us is one of the best game I have ever played.This is a great game and if you own a PlayStation you should buy it and play:) this game has a great storyline great music everything great. this game one of my favorite game ever:):):)
  18. Aug 15, 2013
    This is a really funny game, you will pass hours in front of the ps3 without notice it. You really have to try this. Brilliant history, the atmosphere is unique and the gameplay is really fun. If you want to pass a really nice time try this one, you won't regreat it.
  19. Aug 18, 2013
    The Last Of Us is a solid Third Person experience. While not offering anything new in means of gameplay, it does give a fresh yet deep story were you can hook easily.
  20. Aug 19, 2013
    Just finished playing the game. Apart from the emotional storyline and amazing graphics, the game have awesome Gameplay. Weapon crafting is one of the most interesting things about this game. Awesome combat with option to kill enemies with guns or silently. There are two points to be noticed if you want to enjoy this game at extreme level. One is you have to play the game in normal mode orJust finished playing the game. Apart from the emotional storyline and amazing graphics, the game have awesome Gameplay. Weapon crafting is one of the most interesting things about this game. Awesome combat with option to kill enemies with guns or silently. There are two points to be noticed if you want to enjoy this game at extreme level. One is you have to play the game in normal mode or higher. Second: dont read the story just play and it will keep on giving you surprises. Expand
  21. Aug 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is good, extremely good but a little overrated. The gameplay is a little stiff (we're coming for a borderline superhero called Nathan Drake & now we are with old man Joel) & well the ending is controversial. The game also lack spectacular moments (replaced by a ton of sad moments).

Aside from this, we got the best overall acting performance in a video game & an excellent design
  22. Aug 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. No, it isn't the best game I have ever played. That would be a very bold statement. But I do absolutely love the game. It is definitely one of the most engaging stories I have ever seen in a video game behind Metal Gear Solid. The Last of Us knows how to keep fans interested, and with the cliffhanger at the end I cannot wait to see what they have in store in the sequel. The gameplay is very fluent and smooth. If you love horrors with an emotionally-driven storyline, this could be the only game with those elements you'll find out there, unless I'm missing something.

Great game.
  23. Aug 26, 2013
    The last of us is a strong game for game of the year. you are joel a middle aged smuggler who is given the task is to deliver a girl named ellie to a group called the fireflies. this is the best zombie/ survival horror game since Resident evil 4. You really get to know and love joel and ellie+stunning graphics and great intense gameplay+getting to play as both joel and ellie and to get toThe last of us is a strong game for game of the year. you are joel a middle aged smuggler who is given the task is to deliver a girl named ellie to a group called the fireflies. this is the best zombie/ survival horror game since Resident evil 4. You really get to know and love joel and ellie+stunning graphics and great intense gameplay+getting to play as both joel and ellie and to get to know ellie and joels back stories. amazing game Expand
  24. Aug 28, 2013
    My only gripes with this game are that it froze/glitched on me a few times and there aren't many trophies. It's basically Uncharted with a zombie premise and an upgrade system. It places a big emphasis on finding resources, which I thought might get boring, but it didn't. The characters are some of the best I've ever seen in a PS3 game. Lots of fun and the few trophies it does have makeMy only gripes with this game are that it froze/glitched on me a few times and there aren't many trophies. It's basically Uncharted with a zombie premise and an upgrade system. It places a big emphasis on finding resources, which I thought might get boring, but it didn't. The characters are some of the best I've ever seen in a PS3 game. Lots of fun and the few trophies it does have make you want to replay it. Expand
  25. Aug 28, 2013
    Naughty Dog has their sh*t together. I wish more developers could produce this kind of quality on PS3. The Uncharted series is a favorite of mine... now add zombies! Who doesn't love zombies!? The story and cinematic work is so well done, you care about the characters and you have to really weigh you upgrades. There are a few dull moments... and a few places where you wish there wereNaughty Dog has their sh*t together. I wish more developers could produce this kind of quality on PS3. The Uncharted series is a favorite of mine... now add zombies! Who doesn't love zombies!? The story and cinematic work is so well done, you care about the characters and you have to really weigh you upgrades. There are a few dull moments... and a few places where you wish there were 20 clickers around you... but it is awesome. If you're a fan of Uncharted, zombies, 3rd person shooters, survival horror, life... get this game. Expand
  26. Aug 31, 2013
    Now here is one hell of a game. The gameplay is average, nothing too ingeniously new here. This game is more on the side of a story based game, or a game that is like playing a movie. I do enjoy a good story based game and let me tell you this is one of the best. The character development is phenomenal from start to finish. Voice acting is top notch and there is a sense of fear in the gameNow here is one hell of a game. The gameplay is average, nothing too ingeniously new here. This game is more on the side of a story based game, or a game that is like playing a movie. I do enjoy a good story based game and let me tell you this is one of the best. The character development is phenomenal from start to finish. Voice acting is top notch and there is a sense of fear in the game that I haven't witnessed since early silent hill games.

It truly is a shame that this game is only for PS3, I personally had to borrow a friends PS3 and I bought the game for it based on the reviews, which it sure did live up to. A lot of people don't like games like this, however I found it perfectly suited to me, I wish there were more games of this caliber.

I highly recommend this for someone who wants to get away from the mundane run around shooting call of duty type game.
  27. Sep 1, 2013
    A gorgeous, meaningful, intense, scrumptious (yes, even the sound of rending flesh...is scrumptious, somehow LOL) game. Agreed, the AI is a little thick at times...but, the essence of the game, what makes it great, so far outshines any minor issues, it's hardly noticeable. My only beef with games of this nature is that replay value is low for me. Didn't like the MP that much and I tendA gorgeous, meaningful, intense, scrumptious (yes, even the sound of rending flesh...is scrumptious, somehow LOL) game. Agreed, the AI is a little thick at times...but, the essence of the game, what makes it great, so far outshines any minor issues, it's hardly noticeable. My only beef with games of this nature is that replay value is low for me. Didn't like the MP that much and I tend not to play story driven games more than once. But, as far as a story game goes, this is one of the very best! Expand
  28. Sep 1, 2013
    A thrilling and unforgetable game. Both main characters are like people you know in real life and you care about them. Everyone should try this 'experience' since it is so much more than a mere video game.
  29. Sep 4, 2013
    Amazing game, completed it three times when I have never played a game after completed it before.

The only reason not to buy this game is if you are easily scared or do not like action games, otherwise go buy it now. I dropped a point for the rather run-of-the-mill multiplayer which for me is a complete waste of time, would have been better off making the game bigger (even though it

I dropped a point for the rather run-of-the-mill multiplayer which for me is a complete waste of time, would have been better off making the game bigger (even though it is plenty big enough).
  30. Sep 6, 2013
    The apocalypse is coming.. If I don't give a perfect score to a game now I may never have another chance

This could have been easily a successful TV series or a new popular book's franchise. I wonder what was the author intention when he/she wrote the story for the fist time. I'm just glad it was presented to me in the form of a video game When it comes to story telling, The Last of

When it comes to story telling, The Last of Us represents a huge leap in what we are used to see in Video Games, only comparable to some other amazing games like Bioshock 1, Metal Gear Solid 4, Resident Evil 2 and the "bitter sweet" Mass Effect saga

Even in comparison with other great existing and soon to be released games The Last of Us will always occupy a special place in my memories

The only complain I have is more of a personal issue and not a problem with the game itself; I really don't like having to unlock new difficulties on video games.

When I recognize a game is good, I want to play it in the highest difficulty from the get go. This is how I make sure I don't beat it in a short period of time. This was not a serious issue with The Last of Us, even when they don't let you unleash the Survivor mode on your first run; you can be damn sure your money was well spent on each of the 12-16 hours of gameplay this game packs for you

The legend says Sony saved Naughty Dog from bankruptcy when they decided to release the PS1 and make them their main developer back in the Crash Bandicoot era. If true, this is probably one of the biggest calls from Sony as a gaming company.

Naughty Dog is currently one of the best developers in the market and its one of the main reasons why I will continue on the Playstation family, can't wait to play their new games!
  31. Sep 6, 2013
    The rumors are true. This game really is as great as everyone is saying it is! The game has amazing characters, an amazing setting, an amazing story only rivaled by that of Half life games and Bioshock games and a great crafting system where you decide what materials to pick up and what you should use them on. The combat may take time to get used to but its well worth it and the graphicsThe rumors are true. This game really is as great as everyone is saying it is! The game has amazing characters, an amazing setting, an amazing story only rivaled by that of Half life games and Bioshock games and a great crafting system where you decide what materials to pick up and what you should use them on. The combat may take time to get used to but its well worth it and the graphics push the limits of the PlayStation 3! Is it an amazing game? perhaps a masterpiece? yes! Expand
  32. Sep 7, 2013
    This is an amazing game, If you could imagine a realistic post apocaliptic near future game where society as we know it is gone, and whatever happened is not farfetched like most recent zombie movies and games (you wont see any zombified weird boss creatures here). This game has a very "The Walking dead" meets "I am Legend" meets "Mad Max" (or "The Book of Eli") feel to it.

The world as

The world as we know is gone and life continues to some degree; some places are "safe" but the outside world is full of danger, be it Infected Zombie like Humans o just plain Scavangers who kill other humans to stay alive.

I haven't been this amazed by the how real everything in this game since GameCube's remake of Resident Evil, I know there nothing to compare from one to the other aside from biological zombies, and there have been many amazing games in between, but I remember how much I was amazed by RE when it came out for game cube, but The Last of Us gave me exactly the same feeling (only about 10 years later)

The game is quite realistic, it's hard to kill enemies specially with guns (unlike most games where enemies stand and wait to be killed), most character movements and story plots are very believable to the point where you could see that happening in real life in that particular scenario.

My only complaint with this game if you can call it that is that it's not longer (and believe me, it's long enough) but by the end I wanted to keep playing, I wanted to know what happens next. I hope a sequel is done some time in the near future to give us more adventures with Joel and Ellie.

Pick this game up for sure. I'm a life long gamer and this has got to be one of my favorite games, I completely recomend it.
  33. Sep 14, 2013
    Review
    Review
    A masterpiece, a testament to Naughty Dog's ability to convey a fluid, cohesive and believable world that immerses you completely. While the gameplay has a few minor issues such as irrational AI patterns and sometimes intuitive cover systems, they never detract to the overall experience that is delivered. The Last of Us will allow you to embark on a journey, Ellie and Joel's journey, both the characters are delivered with surgical precision to the point that you become completely invested in the story and gameplay creating a whirlwind of higher emotions such as fear, despair, regret, guilt and infatuation. The gameplay is strategic through the element of stealth and strategy as well as adapting dynamic AI that react to your behavioral patterns and actually surprise, flank and catch you off guard, countering and forcing you to adapt, something few games are capable of.

Summary
    I would give the game a 9.8 with the few unpolished bugs holding it back from perfection, if the game seems like your style go for it. You will not be able to put this game down from the start and will be disappointed when it ends, leaving you craving more of the stark and desolate world.
  34. Sep 8, 2013
    One of my favorite games this gen. I wish that I can give this a 10 but I can't. I honestly don't like the multiplayer, It's filled with campers. The single player however is amazing! Fantastic graphics, great gameplay, great characters, great story, beautiful voice acting. I like both Ellie and Joel. I can't wait to see what Naughty Dog has in store for us next gen :D
  35. Sep 11, 2013
    The Last of Us can easily be, in my opinion, the best PS3 game that Sony has ever released. Naughty Dog's contribution to this gen console is above and beyond your basic third person action game. The world they've created with the Last of Us is believable as well as tense. Within the first five minutes you feel for Joel as this pandemic hits him especially hard and the game uses the momentThe Last of Us can easily be, in my opinion, the best PS3 game that Sony has ever released. Naughty Dog's contribution to this gen console is above and beyond your basic third person action game. The world they've created with the Last of Us is believable as well as tense. Within the first five minutes you feel for Joel as this pandemic hits him especially hard and the game uses the moment to tug at your emotions to where you want to put yourself in its place. The game is taut, filled with suspense, and makes you think of what people will actually do to survive day by day and you ask yourself, what if this was me. If you haven't played this game yet you are missing out on one of the best experiences that the PlayStation 3 has to offer. If you do not have a PS3 then buy one, because this game will not let you down. Expand
  36. Sep 17, 2013
    This game is amazing. It provides an unrivalled story experience which other developers will be hard pressed to match. It's story is leaps and bounds better than anything you have seen this generation or even the generation before it. The game play and story go hand in hand providing this deep and dark experience which definitely sets the mood for this game, it shows the dark truth ofThis game is amazing. It provides an unrivalled story experience which other developers will be hard pressed to match. It's story is leaps and bounds better than anything you have seen this generation or even the generation before it. The game play and story go hand in hand providing this deep and dark experience which definitely sets the mood for this game, it shows the dark truth of what people are really like through amazing character development throughout this experience. If you miss out on playing this game then you are denying yourself one of the games of this generation and maybe even one of the great games of all time. Expand
  37. Sep 18, 2013
    Before I begin, I must say that I was extremely disappointed with the ending.

The Last of Us definitely was a great game, I actually watched Pewdiepie's playthrough so I didn't experience the game entirely. But I feel that a nine would be accurate, and if I had played through it might have been a bit lower too. Almost everything was epic; here are the drawbacks: -I didn't mind the
    Before I begin, I must say that I was extremely disappointed with the ending.

Almost everything was epic; here are the drawbacks:
    -I didn't mind the glitches that much, but they were plenty and were starting to get hefty.
    -Some gameplay was unnecessary in my tastes.
    -The ending was not to my liking.

It was still a great experience though, I recommend it whole-heartedly.
  38. Sep 21, 2013
    One of the best games available for the PS3. Big on story that draws you in. I expected a Resident Evil type of gameplay taking down hoards of undead but you actually wind up killing about 50x more people. It's a bit depressing, as almost every human encounter turns for the worse having humanity show it's dark side. It does make the story all the more compelling however. It will have youOne of the best games available for the PS3. Big on story that draws you in. I expected a Resident Evil type of gameplay taking down hoards of undead but you actually wind up killing about 50x more people. It's a bit depressing, as almost every human encounter turns for the worse having humanity show it's dark side. It does make the story all the more compelling however. It will have you on the edge of your seat all the way through. I thought I knew how the game would end, but I was surprised. Completed the game in ~14 hours. Expand
  39. Oct 5, 2013
    Um dos melhores games da historia. Pena que os fanboys que não possuem esse jogo vem cá, dão negativo e comentam um monte de merda, chupa quem não tem e...vão se foderem.
  40. Oct 6, 2013
    in short..best game I played this year..i would give it an 9.5..it's not PERFECT...but story really got me..it deserve a 10.The last of us is in my top 3 games of all time and my 2013 GAME OF THE YEAR..and everyone should play this game..xbox&Pc players..shame that is not a multiplatform..to everybody see how amazing this game is
  41. Oct 7, 2013
    Lets face it... you know this game is good. But you wanna know how good? I gave this game a 9, but instead of praising like everyone else I want to point out the minor flaw, repetition. It only took me a few encounters before I could exploit the enemy AI. Soon enough I began handling all encounters the same way. It didn't take away from the tension though. If your not burnt out onLets face it... you know this game is good. But you wanna know how good? I gave this game a 9, but instead of praising like everyone else I want to point out the minor flaw, repetition. It only took me a few encounters before I could exploit the enemy AI. Soon enough I began handling all encounters the same way. It didn't take away from the tension though. If your not burnt out on the zombie theme this game is for you. Naughty Dog has cemented itself as one of the best studios in gaming history this generation. Expand
  42. Jul 29, 2014
    I've heard mixed reviews on this game ranging from "it's too boring and slow moving" to "this is the greatest game of all time". I can now say, after playing through the bulk of this game, that I completely understand both sides of reviews. For those of you who want an adrenaline rush of game play with constant action, go elsewhere for your gaming experience as this is not the game forI've heard mixed reviews on this game ranging from "it's too boring and slow moving" to "this is the greatest game of all time". I can now say, after playing through the bulk of this game, that I completely understand both sides of reviews. For those of you who want an adrenaline rush of game play with constant action, go elsewhere for your gaming experience as this is not the game for you.

However, those of you who enjoy imaginative immersion in a well-crafted storyline, realistic/believable characters, beautiful artwork and game design, exploration, and solid game play, look no further. The environments are mesmerizing, the character movement is gorgeous, the dialogue and voice acting is superb, the mix of stealth/scavenging/shooting within the twists and turns of the games story is as excellent as video games come.

The game basically plays as a 3rd person shooter (think Resident Evil 4+5) with stealth elements (think Splinter Cell) and crafting (again, think Resident Evil 4+5). Additionally, as you traverse the lengths of the storyline, you will find yourself in a myriad of settings ranging from (but not limited to) the outskirts of the city refuge to a deserted town and all the way to the wilderness, university campus, and sewers. Each new area and chapter in the game flows along the tide of TLoU's amazingly executed storyline - and the characters you play as become increasingly unique, realistic, and dear to your heart. I cannot tell you how astounded I was throughout my first play through. I can honestly say that the enjoyment of this game remained throughout the second play through as well.

*I believe my total play through time for the game was roughly around 18 hours or so. I suppose it would depend on how quickly you are attempting to finish - my style included quite a bit of exploration and a steady pace throughout to soak up the beauty of the game.

Definitely within the top 5 best games I have ever experienced. Well worth the price of a ps3 for this game alone. I would highly recommend for post-apocalyptic enthusiasts.
  43. Oct 8, 2013
    We really haven't seen a game with a good narrative like The last of us. It is an awesome emotional game that really touched me. The voice acting was Phenomenal
  44. Oct 8, 2013
    It's a Naughty Dog game, does anything else really need to be said? Expect excellence because this game will gut punch you out of your seat from the very opening scene, and never let you go.
  45. Oct 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. best game ever, this is playstation 3 best game, naughty dog is reaaly good in making games, just like the uncharted series, joel and eliie make a really good team on his adventure, the game have some moments that are really exciting and they have many suspense scene Expand
  46. Oct 11, 2013
    This game is mind-blowing on all possible points. Many times games have to sacrifice some gameplay to focus on storytelling, or vice-versa, but this game incorporates equal parts to give you a stellar immersive experience that makes the gamer feel like a part of the story in every way. Along with those excellent facets is also the graphics; for the current console generation, this game isThis game is mind-blowing on all possible points. Many times games have to sacrifice some gameplay to focus on storytelling, or vice-versa, but this game incorporates equal parts to give you a stellar immersive experience that makes the gamer feel like a part of the story in every way. Along with those excellent facets is also the graphics; for the current console generation, this game is incredibly well-made and above all, simply beautiful to play. Expand
  47. Oct 11, 2013
    So far the game is nothing short of intense and immersive. The feeling of being out in the unknown puts this game at the lead in the genre because of how it is depicted. It is a tragic world. As for the game, it doesn't confine itself to the survival-horror formula by putting more flexibility in taking out enemies. Story-wise, the game goes for the emotions. The intro itself was aSo far the game is nothing short of intense and immersive. The feeling of being out in the unknown puts this game at the lead in the genre because of how it is depicted. It is a tragic world. As for the game, it doesn't confine itself to the survival-horror formula by putting more flexibility in taking out enemies. Story-wise, the game goes for the emotions. The intro itself was a heart-breaker. The reason I proceeded to reviewing The Last of Us despite not having finished the game yet is because I've seen what I needed to see. It is one of those games that grabbed my attention throughout my game-time. Will possibly be one of the best games I played of all the video games I've played. Expand
  48. Oct 11, 2013
    The fact that anyone writes a negative review of the game, makes me believe Humanity has no hope, haha. This game is a masterful creation, the story captivates you and the game play is fun enough, very Uncharted like, still the story itself is worth the price. The graphics and voice over are flawless. This is the swan song of the PS3 and it is a great one.
  49. Oct 11, 2013
    This game just blew me away a 10 out of 10 for sure. This story line is one of the best ever naughty dog already proved they can make great games like the Uncharted Series, The Last Of Us is truly amazing no developer can make a game this good. The story line is fantastic it attracts you into the game making you watch every single detail carefully, the game is also depressing gets me evenThis game just blew me away a 10 out of 10 for sure. This story line is one of the best ever naughty dog already proved they can make great games like the Uncharted Series, The Last Of Us is truly amazing no developer can make a game this good. The story line is fantastic it attracts you into the game making you watch every single detail carefully, the game is also depressing gets me even more into the game. This game wow they made one of the greatest games in history to me this deserves to get game year Expand
  50. Oct 12, 2013
    The Last Of us is without a doubt one of the most compelling, enjoyable and emotional games I've ever played. It evokes so many emotions and once a shaky start after the prologue is over it only gets better and better. I rely felt like I was going through the pain and sometimes joy that the characters were experiencing and when a game can do that you know its doing something right. It isThe Last Of us is without a doubt one of the most compelling, enjoyable and emotional games I've ever played. It evokes so many emotions and once a shaky start after the prologue is over it only gets better and better. I rely felt like I was going through the pain and sometimes joy that the characters were experiencing and when a game can do that you know its doing something right. It is simply a marvel of storytelling and should not be overlooked. Its Naughty Dogs best work to date and I'm sure we've still got allot more to see from them. Expand
  51. Oct 12, 2013
    this game is a masterpiece. The graphics is so amazing and sounds are beauty, but the multiplayer is a little bad and the final, mmm
    Gameplay 10/10
    Graphics 10/10
    Sounds 10/10
    Multiplayer 8,5/10
  52. Ogr
    Oct 13, 2013
    This is one of the Games that made me dreaming of it many nights. The characters of Joel and Ellie are way more interesting to me than a lot of characters from comparable "Hollywood-Movies" and Series.
    The atmosphere is just great, the story is deep and the graphics are on top of the PS3-Games.
    The gameplay itself is as good as the Uncharted-Series for example, but this game is more about the whole feeling you get. 10/10!
  53. Oct 13, 2013
    Simply The best game I played in PS3 Thank you Naughty Dog For This amazing Game I put in my mind its a film a story not a game At some times I was on the verge of tears Thanks again Naughty Dog and thanks Neil drakman and Bruce Starle for the best game i played in my life
  54. Oct 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is the most beautiful game ever invented, I love Naughty Dog, only this guys can do games like these. They have shown with Uncharted trilogy, and now with The Last Of Us, I think that nor GTA V can overcome it or anything game. only to another game from ND can be overcome it. I've said. Expand
  55. Oct 14, 2013
    this may just be the single greatest game of this generation maybe even ever, the story is great the game play is pretty much perfect and the story is one of the best, it puts the survival game back on the map after Resident Evil has moved away from the genre, the story is heart wrenching from the start and the bit where you play as Joel and Ellie separately was one of the highlights ofthis may just be the single greatest game of this generation maybe even ever, the story is great the game play is pretty much perfect and the story is one of the best, it puts the survival game back on the map after Resident Evil has moved away from the genre, the story is heart wrenching from the start and the bit where you play as Joel and Ellie separately was one of the highlights of the game practically everything thing in the game is flawless just once issue for me is how Ellie's AI doesn't always really work she can be 'hiding' where zombies or attackers can see her while you play as Joel and yet she doesn't get spotted or attacked and she will make noise, while you are sneaking around zombies and not get heard and this does take some of the tension away from the game but this is still possibly the best game to date Expand
  56. Oct 19, 2013
    There is only one word to describe The Last of Us, flawless. When it comes to graphics, this game is arguably the best ever. There were countless moments when I would stop and look at everything around me in awe. The combat was perfect for the game and the way the game smoothly interacted with the environment was impeccable. The story and it's characters were excellent but were they reallyThere is only one word to describe The Last of Us, flawless. When it comes to graphics, this game is arguably the best ever. There were countless moments when I would stop and look at everything around me in awe. The combat was perfect for the game and the way the game smoothly interacted with the environment was impeccable. The story and it's characters were excellent but were they really excelled was the relationships and the way they were developed. The story always had you on your toes and you were always scared for lives of the characters. The game did a swell job at always mixing it up. Constantly changing the weather and the environment gave the game a feeling of unpredictability and always stayed fresh. After the long journey of emotional tear, it leaves you with satisfying ending. Expand
  57. Oct 19, 2013
    Truly a magnificent epic story telling. You are hooked on to it from start to finish. The characters are relatable, the story is simply beautiful. Cant get enough of this game.
  58. Oct 21, 2013
    The Last of Us is the best zombie movie you've ever played.

The Last of Us is the best zombie movie you've ever played.

First of all, the no-consequence-for-dying argument has been flogged to an inconsequential death in regards to this game, so I will say this: seeking consequence in a video game is barking up the wrong tree. Combat with realistic consequences driving survival would be something like a war rather than a game and it would likely have little entertainment value.

That said, I'm satisfied with calling TLoU an adventure game with survival as the central theme if it circumvents the tired old comparison of every survival-themed game with Dark Souls and Demon Souls. In fact, I'm happy to report that TLoU is nothing like either of those.

The Last of Us is a captivating and immersive experience that is worthy of the "masterpiece" praises that it has received. Fast-paced at times and a slow-burn at other times, it manages to keep attention and not become completely boring or stale. It has its tropes, but they aren't damaging to the overall experience.

Stealth is centered around being very quiet, as the zombies in this game are blind. It's a good idea and executed well for the most part, but it does make for some awkward moments with an AI partner. There are times when the AI will seem to stomp around at will without being noticed; meanwhile if you so much as break wind, the turbulence in your jeans will alert every zombie in the area of your delicious presence. It's not a mechanics issue or anything, it just looks like an odd contrast and it's one of the few things in the game that seems sloppy.

Character development is so strong that it's easy to become invested, but at the same time it doesn't feel forced you. In fact, you might not even notice until you find yourself blowing through half of your ammunition on a relatively harmless mob just because they got a little too rough with Not-Ellen-Page.

Multiplayer can be quite fun because it's quite a different approach, but at the same time multiplayer can be no fun at all because the differences fall apart. The focus is on collecting parts and supplies in order to sustain your clan of survivors and that doesn't necessarily correlate with kills alone. In fact, a support role is just as effective in collecting parts by crafting, healing, reviving, etc than those meant for a high kill count. However, you may often find that matches are overtaken by a haphazard run-and-gun approach that ruins the tactical slow-burn that it intends. This is being addressed with various combat balances but the MP still seems at risk for drastic dissolution of its population over time.

Multiplayer also seemed drastically under-realized on release as it featured only two game modes (neither of which involved surviving hordes of zombies). It has since revealed plans to expand the game modes through DLC and has already begun to do so. On one hand, more game modes are a welcomed addition but on the other hand they shouldn't turn the game into an 80 dollar version.

Overall, a great experience with nothing blatantly wrong with it. Multiplayer will be take-it-or-leave-it as usual, but single-player alone makes TLoU a great game.
  59. Oct 22, 2013
    The Last Of Us is not a game; it is art. I do not want to spoil anything about this simply astounding game. Close Metacritic, and buy The Last Of Us. Now. Or I will slap you silly.
  60. Oct 25, 2013
    Masterpiece
    For the umpteenth time Naughty Dog has surprised everyone by completely changing genre. Visually speaking The Last of Us is overflowing, so full of detail will leave you breathless in more than one occasion. The Last of Us is very sad and moving, a constant punch in the stomach when you least aspects.
    I really loved this game has given me so many emotions like few others.
  61. Oct 23, 2013
    This game is fascinating. i like everything about this game
    1- first game in which reality based infection is used
    2- START i awesome
    3- Each you play it u will have fun
    4- Real enjoyment is while playing SURVIVOR MODE
    5- I was fan of God of War but now of THE LAST OF US
  62. Oct 23, 2013
    My favorite game I have ever played. Game looks beautiful and the controls fit the game perfectly. This game has my second favorite story of any game I've played (behind Heavy Rain). The atmosphere and gameplay are fantastic, makes the player feel like they're in a movie. Decently challenging with good AI. That being said, Ellie can be kind of annoying when she gets in the way duringMy favorite game I have ever played. Game looks beautiful and the controls fit the game perfectly. This game has my second favorite story of any game I've played (behind Heavy Rain). The atmosphere and gameplay are fantastic, makes the player feel like they're in a movie. Decently challenging with good AI. That being said, Ellie can be kind of annoying when she gets in the way during stealth sequences, but other than that, this game is perfect.
    A must play if you have a ps3
  63. Oct 26, 2013
    So I've been a gamer for 25 years. Created a Metacritic account solely so that I could rate this game a 10. It's unquestionably one of the very best games ever made, and I've been pondering whether it's the best single player game I've ever played. To be honest, I've grown weary of single player games over the last 2+ decades. It's often a struggle to finish a single player gameSo I've been a gamer for 25 years. Created a Metacritic account solely so that I could rate this game a 10. It's unquestionably one of the very best games ever made, and I've been pondering whether it's the best single player game I've ever played. To be honest, I've grown weary of single player games over the last 2+ decades. It's often a struggle to finish a single player game because I lose interest. I fill my limited gaming hours in a week with a staple of Battlefield due to the fact that playing with other humans is usually more stimulating than the rehashed, trite and unimaginative content to be found in most single player games.

This game is one of those once in a decade gems, managing to pull together the epic scale and perfect pacing of Half-Life 2, the grandeur and wonder of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, the irrepressible spirit of adventure of Uncharted 2/3 and the emotional hook in your gut of Ico into a game that continues to resonate with me long after the end credits stopped rolling. The artistry and subtlety involved with the characterization alone is thesis-worthy. It is a game that captivated, riveted and wholly entertained me as a gamer from the first minute to the last, sans flaw.

The Last of Us is a complete and special gaming experience and serves as a paradigm shift for storytelling in interactive media. Thank you, Naughty Dog.
  64. Oct 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is without a doubt the BEST game I have ever played!
    The gameplay, the graphics, the design, the sound and music, the top acting voice acting, and of course...the story. All of these things go together in the best way possible. I felt like I was experiencing a combination of a book, a film, and a game, all at the same time.
    The tempo is varying and dynamic and you get to experience booth intense action and explore the beautiful world in with the story takes place.

I recommend The Last of Us to anyone who has not yet played it!
  65. Oct 30, 2013
    I've played games for the last 30 years so I know there are only a few games that can be remembered 20 years after playing them. But I know The Last of Us will be one of them. I've never felt such a level of empathy towards the characters of a game, I never needed to keep the characters alive so much (maybe my closest empathetic experience was with Heavy Rain, but that experience was veryI've played games for the last 30 years so I know there are only a few games that can be remembered 20 years after playing them. But I know The Last of Us will be one of them. I've never felt such a level of empathy towards the characters of a game, I never needed to keep the characters alive so much (maybe my closest empathetic experience was with Heavy Rain, but that experience was very different). It is worth to mention that I don't like zombies-alike horror films and I usually get bored watching (most of) action films. I don't know why, but maybe it's because I know that the main character will live, so there is no real thrill. Is the hero caged in a locked room? meh, he will find out a way to escape, I'm not afraid. Is the bad guy aiming at the hero? Something weird will happen and he will stay alive, sure. But there is something very different in videogames: you can die, so you have a reason to be tense. Of course, videogames typically suffer from a problem which was pointed out by Steven Spielberg: "The second you get the controller something turns off in the heart, and it becomes a sport." Well, maybe it's true for most of games. For instance, I'm thinking about GTA V, which is a great game indeed, but it's just a "game" in the sense pointed out by Spielberg: characters are not really touching (they are funny, but not touching), so it's a kind of great "sports" game: driving, shooting, flying, etc. Oddly, some of my best moments in GTA V were when I was driving through this huge world, perhaps in the coast highway during the sunset, and I felt that I was in a kind of long journey. Isn't it weird? However, The Last of Us is very different. After 4-5 hours playing or so, you will really empathize with the characters so much until the end in a level not reached by most of Mr. Spielberg films in my own case, by the way (Ok, The Schindler List was something very different). The Last of Us characters are very well defined, and you will share their suffering for a long time until you love them. They are touching despite they rarely show openly their feelings, which is a symptom of a great performance. In addition, you will feel nervous in dangerous situations because you can die indeed. So you have the best combination of films and videogames: "the characters are touching" "you really feel that you can die" "you really feel you are there." The previous formula shows the rare achievement of this game. My conclusion is that this is a rare experience you will never forget. Expand
  66. Oct 31, 2013
    This is truly one of the best game of this generation!! I Ioved every minute of the game! Can't wait to see what Naughty Dog can do with the PS4. I hope Uncharted 4 is their next title!
  67. Oct 31, 2013
    Simple put, this is possibly the best game I have ever played, and I've played a lot of games over the years. Everything about this game is 10 out of 10.
  68. Oct 31, 2013
    First off, the game is good. But I'm just so let down by the fact that what started as an epic horror-zombie survival game was actually a fight the bad guys adventure action game. The zombie and horror parts of the game are fantastic, but they are only about 20% of the game. Most of the game you fight military or paramilitary soldiers, and while those parts are good, I would have likedFirst off, the game is good. But I'm just so let down by the fact that what started as an epic horror-zombie survival game was actually a fight the bad guys adventure action game. The zombie and horror parts of the game are fantastic, but they are only about 20% of the game. Most of the game you fight military or paramilitary soldiers, and while those parts are good, I would have liked more survival style gameplay. Expand
  69. Nov 1, 2013
    Wow! Just wow!
    Naughty Dog actually found a very interesting and unique way of reinventing the zombie apocalypse. The story is one of those that takes ahold of you with mutated claws and never lets go. The voice acting is superb, the graphics are just amazing and the motivations for everything you do is logical and immersive.
    There are very few games that I would ever give a
    Wow! Just wow!

There are very few games that I would ever give a perfect 10 rating to but this is absolutely one of the best. Some critics have found it shocking and edgy to rip on this game because it is sooo popular but you would be wise to simply ignore them for the attention-seekers they are.

This game is EXACTLY what the game industry needs more of although I do wish that it had been available for more than just the PlayStation.
  70. Nov 1, 2013
    Firstly let me make one thing clear. There is absolutely NO reason that anyone should ever give this game a 0. That is reserved for incredibly broken or extremely offensive games that should never had been made. Anybody who did is obviously tampering with scores for a laugh. They may be trolling or simply hate the game but 0 is not a number for a game like the last of us*

It is rare

It is rare for me to find a game that moves me emotionally. Whether it be sadness or joy, this game has done it. Naughty dogs newest game is a pinnacle of storytelling, starting from a heart-breaking beginning to an ending that has been on my mind for weeks.
    Visually this game astounds me. The characters are so human and the environment, believable. The visuals enhance the fantastically violent nature of survival and at one time or another made me wince. This is not a negative factor however as it amazes me.

The storyline granted is slightly cliché but just because someone did it before, doesn't mean it cant be done again. Not only was it done again but it exceeded any predictability with strong emotional connection to the characters and feelings of utter hopelessness at times. The gameplay is incredibly fun as no two battles need to be the same. Some argue that the game is linear but I argue back by saying "its not linear, you just chose not to explore". You have choices of weapons to modify and make and in doing so might help you or hinder you in the future. You need to plan ahead to survive.

The soundtrack is beautiful and suits perfectly to the apocalyptic yet beautiful wasteland of America. The collapse of man of course caused by the cordyceps. basing a disease on a real life fungus adds to the believability that one day this could happen. The enemies in the game are split into hunters melee. gunners, Molotov throwers, armoured) and the infected. the infected change through grotesque stages, each more deadly than the last. they are creative and very fun to kill.
    The only problem I found in the game was made to counteract an even greater one. your allies are sometimes invisible to the enemy until you are exposed. This sometimes breaks immersion but was done so that the whole game doesn't become one whole escort mission which it definitely is not. Some people may say that the enemy A.I is braindead. Some people give this game a 0 for this one reason. Some people are stupid.

My verdict is that this game deserves all the praise it gets because it deserves it. It isn't overrated and certainly isn't bad. this game will be remembered for generation. This is for the Ps3 what Mario was for the NES. I will give this game a 10 although I don't believe any game is perfect. But until then very few games meet this standard.
  71. Nov 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is so much about story that it's impossible to write a full review without spoiling anything, so I'll write two reviews instead, one spoiler-free and one with spoilers.
    Here comes the spoiler-free one.

Story-wise this game blew my mind away, it blew it so far away that it landed in Wisconsin, witch is pretty far considering that I live in Sweden. Anyways I don't want to spoil anything important in this review so let's just talk about the basics of the story:
    You play as Joel. A hardened apocalipse-survivor and the way the character is showed in this game is what makes the game really good.
    Yes you play as Joel, but in my opinion the main protagonist if the game is Ellie: A fourteen year old girl that is immune to the fungal-zombie infection. And a group called the fireflies think that the thing that makes Ellie immune can save humankind from infection.

Gameplay in this game is very, very good, and the third person perspective just makes the game brilliant, 'cuz graphicly this game is something unique and with that I mean awesome. I love that this game is so extremely gory and this game is so good that it's actually the best game I've ever played. Well worth 10/10
  72. Nov 3, 2013
    After 30 years of gaming, I have no problems putting this somewhere near the very top of any all-time greatest list. I generally don't go for the mainstream AAA titles, but this is an exception, and it is one game that absolutely deserves its praise. Believe the hype on this one, from beginning to end. For those that give it mediocre or low scores, you must just be either looking forAfter 30 years of gaming, I have no problems putting this somewhere near the very top of any all-time greatest list. I generally don't go for the mainstream AAA titles, but this is an exception, and it is one game that absolutely deserves its praise. Believe the hype on this one, from beginning to end. For those that give it mediocre or low scores, you must just be either looking for attention, or, if you truly didn't enjoy this game, the most boring person on Earth. Expand
  73. Nov 3, 2013
    There's not much I can say about this game that hasn't already been said, but for me it's one of the best I've ever played. At a basic level there are three facets that make up how to judge a game great from a bad one to me and they're not mutually exclusive; the gameplay, the story and the graphics (including the sound!). The Last of Us gets 10/10 for the latter two but it's only slightThere's not much I can say about this game that hasn't already been said, but for me it's one of the best I've ever played. At a basic level there are three facets that make up how to judge a game great from a bad one to me and they're not mutually exclusive; the gameplay, the story and the graphics (including the sound!). The Last of Us gets 10/10 for the latter two but it's only slight drawback was the gameplay. Only inasmuch as it did get a little repetitive. However, it was still a definitive 10/10 overall for me, largely because of the excellent story. It is something of a rarity that games inspire such immersion and relation to the characters. Like a good book it had me rushing home from work, desperate to find out what happens next. You could argue that the story arc is a little basic perhaps even predictable, but that doesn't hinder it. It is the pacing that makes it supreme. There's moments when you might feel that it's all going to be ok, or that you're safe, you're strong and have lots of supplies. Then the next you'll be struggling, grasping for control again. Furthermore, its the characters realism that really draws you in. In combination with those moments of complete panic and tranquillity you really get to know the characters. Aesthetically its excellent; immersive, detailed and at times quite beautiful.

Overall, as I said, it's one of (if not the) best game I've had the pleasure of playing. As a gamer I always think that the best test for any game would be would you recommend this game to someone who doesn't/hasn't played a video game before? The Last of Us would be THE game I would recommend to those people, would be a reason why games can and are comparable to the finest works of literature or other art.
  74. Nov 5, 2013
    Pure perfection. Awesome graphics, good story and very amazing gameplay. The game can show a very fantastic atmosphere of survival in this epic story. Graphics make this beauty a lot better. One thing that can't allow me to make mark 10/10, is quite stupid AI and ending of game. A really don't want this game, this story to finish.
    Naughty Dog show all perfection of PlayStation 3.
  75. Nov 5, 2013
    I play computer games less and less these days so games have to be truly good for me to fully complete them. The last of us is one of those games, fantastic graphics, gripping story line and natural game play. It is everything resident evil 6 should have been. Hopefully this is the future of computer games.
  76. Nov 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. O jogo perfeito, lindo em gráficos, a história te cativa desde o inicio,e os personagens sao marcantes, principalmente Ellie, talvez o único defeito seja a AI do jogo e outras texturas mal feitas que passam despercebidas, mas nada que tire o brilho do jogo. Expand
  77. Nov 5, 2013
    The best game I've ever played in my life. Everything is perfect on TLOU. I'm eagerly awaiting the sequel. I'm impressed so far even playing the game three months ago.
  78. Nov 5, 2013
    Do you want to play a game where your jaw drops every single time you enter a room? Where each moment of gameplay is exciting and terrifying? Where the story drives it so hard that you can't stop playing no matter the circumstances? The Last of Us delivers on all fronts, a driven story and game from beginning to end. Buy this. Never look back. Only play the story from beginning to the gutDo you want to play a game where your jaw drops every single time you enter a room? Where each moment of gameplay is exciting and terrifying? Where the story drives it so hard that you can't stop playing no matter the circumstances? The Last of Us delivers on all fronts, a driven story and game from beginning to end. Buy this. Never look back. Only play the story from beginning to the gut wrenching final moments. Expand
  79. Nov 6, 2013
    Story: 10/10, it was so amazing to see the plot develop and the characters evolve, becoming one of the most heart wrenching tales i have ever experienced.
    Gameplay: 10/10, the combat was simply stellar, and personally, I don't have any problems with it
    Although I think Bioshock Infinite is a bit better as an experience (but not much better), I have to admit that as a pure GAME, The Last of Us is better
  80. Nov 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Goods
    - Good and engaging story
    - Strong characters
    - Fun game play Go in attacking wildly or silently taking down)
    - Fun multiplayer
    - Intense at times and sad at times
    - Good visuals

Bads
    - Nothing which effected my rating of the game

Extras
    - Extremely difficult to stay on track as I ALWAYS scavenged everything in an area before I went to the next. LoL )
    - Crap ending IMO
    - Got kinda annoying when clickers one hit you as you're surrounded
    - IMO an extremely satisfying game which had me playing it for at least 3.5 play throughs, even though the stupid save glitch delayed me 5 hours as i had to replay the game over again because it didnt save!
  81. Nov 7, 2013
    This game is another piece of brilliance from Naughty Dog. Having played Naughty Dog games since Crash Bandicoot and all of the Uncharted games, I sort of knew what was coming. The narrative is sort of a stretch from other ND games because it has a more serious and darker tone. For some game developers, changing the pace or going in a different direction, after releasing games of the sameThis game is another piece of brilliance from Naughty Dog. Having played Naughty Dog games since Crash Bandicoot and all of the Uncharted games, I sort of knew what was coming. The narrative is sort of a stretch from other ND games because it has a more serious and darker tone. For some game developers, changing the pace or going in a different direction, after releasing games of the same genre/ story, might be harmful. This is not the case here. ND is now becoming somewhat like Rockstar in the sense that they are putting out quality instead of quantity *cough cough IW, Treyarch*

This game follows Joel and his sidekick Ellie, who must survive in a post apocalyptic world after a virus, has caused the citizens of the world to become more zombie-like. If you have ever played any past Uncharted game then you will feel right at home with how the controls and quick actions are added into the story. This game has you either play as a stealthy type of player or straight shooter, neither or bad nor good. However supplies are limited either way so you must play smart. Ellie is not only for looks, though that’s bad for me to say because she is still a child. But what I mean is that she isn't just some girl in the way, she can change the tide of encounters by getting involved with the enemy. This is a plus for the game because you are not just baby sitting some girl, she helps you so you'll never feel alone. Overall I must say that the single player is well done and brings another great story to the player.

The online portion was something I wasn't completely a fan of but it was definitely something different and in a good way. The online portion of the game pitted you in a small group against another small team in various game modes. The combat seemed fair and balanced and also frustrating. The online component wasn’t the best from ND but it did supply some fun.
  82. Nov 8, 2013
    One of the best games ever from a story and character development standpoint. People saying this is just a movie? Sure it has 3 hours of cut-scenes, but 10-13 hours of gameplay. This story is so gripping, no other game has made you feel so attached to the characters. This is a masterpiece.
  83. Nov 8, 2013
    I've been playing video games since 1978 when I got an Atari 2600 for Christmas. In the past decade, I find it difficult to find a good game that really pulls you in and gets you hooked. As a huge fan of Fallout 3, I was really looking forward to Last of Us as my next 'end of days' game. Last of Us didn't disappoint. The linear storyline forces you along- you have no choice, but toI've been playing video games since 1978 when I got an Atari 2600 for Christmas. In the past decade, I find it difficult to find a good game that really pulls you in and gets you hooked. As a huge fan of Fallout 3, I was really looking forward to Last of Us as my next 'end of days' game. Last of Us didn't disappoint. The linear storyline forces you along- you have no choice, but to push forward. You can't go back, level up, and return to an area with amped up stats, perks, etc. You're scrounging for ammo and supplies and really have to put thought in to how you're going to get through that hunter-infested hotel ruin. It's impossible to play 100% stealth, so be prepared for brutal melee fights and edge of your seat shoot outs. I found myself hoping the next enemies were human, because the infected humans were absolutely insane and unpredictable. Although the game is linear, it offers a great deal of exploration. Ammo and crafting supplies are essential, but I wish the other collectibles offered a little more than atmosphere and an excuse to scour the area. I don't care about "achievements"- give me some sort of gameplay bonus. (Ideal game design would grant you something that would be fun to use in the next playthrough- could be a weapon, ability, or access to unavailable parts of a map) Key takeaway- PLAY THIS GAME. It is truly an experience that will suck you in emotionally and you'll feel what Ellie and Joel are going through. First playthrough is priceless- avoid all spoilers- and check this game out. Expand
  84. Nov 9, 2013
    Without a shadow of a doubt, the greatest game I have ever played. The story and gameplay are nothing short of amazing, the cut scenes and dialogue and the best I've ever seen.

Nothing will ever give me the experience that this game gave me, The Last of Us is pure perfection.
  85. Nov 10, 2013
    Every once in a long time a game comes along and completely shakes you with how amazing it is. No game has captured the themes as well as this game has done. This game has innovated the genre and upped the ante for storytelling and character development in video games. There is no game out there now that can completely satisfy everything you want in a game besides this one. This experienceEvery once in a long time a game comes along and completely shakes you with how amazing it is. No game has captured the themes as well as this game has done. This game has innovated the genre and upped the ante for storytelling and character development in video games. There is no game out there now that can completely satisfy everything you want in a game besides this one. This experience is well worth your money. If you have to pay 100$ for it, buy it anyways. Its worth every cent for one of the most memorable experience's in gaming and the best game you could buy on the PS3. Expand
  86. Nov 11, 2013
    This game is full of cliches, but even so the campaign is the best story that I've played, I'm a big fan of the online gaming, but the first time that I played the campaign of this game I get very impressed I've completed this campaign 4 times, I think that this game is better than GTA V, I'm not a fanboy, I know that GTA V has a lot of things to do, but GTA gets boring when you've playedThis game is full of cliches, but even so the campaign is the best story that I've played, I'm a big fan of the online gaming, but the first time that I played the campaign of this game I get very impressed I've completed this campaign 4 times, I think that this game is better than GTA V, I'm not a fanboy, I know that GTA V has a lot of things to do, but GTA gets boring when you've played for a month. The multiplayer is different, it's not a COD o an Uncharted, the maltiplayer was the thing that I fell in love. Expand
  87. Nov 11, 2013
    By far the best game I have ever played Naughty Dog have produced the game of the generation. Even though I am usually a PC gamer I found the graphics stunning and the game runs very smoothly. From the dramatic opening to the very end about 12 hours later I was never bored. The character design is incredible and the way Joel and Ellie interact with each other throughout the game isBy far the best game I have ever played Naughty Dog have produced the game of the generation. Even though I am usually a PC gamer I found the graphics stunning and the game runs very smoothly. From the dramatic opening to the very end about 12 hours later I was never bored. The character design is incredible and the way Joel and Ellie interact with each other throughout the game is fantastic. I have put in over 150 hours now and have done 7 playthroughs and have never had more fun playing a game. The negatives to this game are so little it's not worth mentioning and I can safely say that you won't regret spending money on this. Expand
  88. Nov 12, 2013
    This game is a masterpiece in every sense of the word. Great story, gameplay, multiplayer...and makes you think about it long after you've beaten it again and again. It's fantastic.
  89. Nov 12, 2013
    Pros:
    Great graphics
    Great characters
    Decent story
    Ellie

Cons:
    It's a bit short
    Not really challenging

Overall this game is a masterpiece, I still can't believe PS 3 was able to handle those graphics
  90. Nov 13, 2013
    This is an amazing PS3 exclusive, a must buy for console owners.

While I do believe the game is slightly overrated for reasons I'll be noting in the review, it is definitely the best PS3 game I've played this year. The game is just georgeous, there was a lot of effort put into details. Animations are realistic, and the environment is amazing. The art direction of this game did an
    This is an amazing PS3 exclusive, a must buy for console owners.

The game is just georgeous, there was a lot of effort put into details. Animations are realistic, and the environment is amazing. The art direction of this game did an awesome job, and to think this game runs on a 2006 console is astonishing.

The gameplay feels great. It is not exactly fun all the times, but it's realistic enough, and coupled with the game's great storyline, it will keep you in front of your tv for hours.

Both Ellie and Joel are quite likeable. The voice acting, sound effects, and music in general are incredible. Troy Baker and Ashley Johnson both did a great job.

The multiplayer isn't really a major deal, but still, it is a nice bonus. Interrogation mode, which was added with an update is a really innovative mode. Managing your crew through the 12 weeks is actually fun and challenging.

Now, about the flaws...

The game is mostly linear. You'll have to play the way it's meant to be played. If you try to fight in a place that ND wanted you to sneak pass or vice-verse, you'll have a hard time.

A great example of this is the Sniper part. Unless you get yourself to the house he is, you can't progress the game. Even having a sniper rifle yourself, you can't kill him. It's just a ghost gun firing at you. Four times in a row in some instances (sometimes he doesn't have to reload).

Enemies have unlimited ammo even though supplies are limited in this world. Upon death, the chances of them dropping the ammo they were using is quite low, especially on a higher difficulty level. It's not exactly a big deal, but it would be more immersive if they actually would run out of ammo and try other strategies to deal with you.

The game lacks replayability for those who are not completionists. Sure, there's a lot of collectibles and trophies for people to get, but most players would just ignore stuff like that. Yeah, there's multiplayer, but as I said before, the multiplayer isn't a major attraction of the game.

I've played the game on version 1.3 and yet I had some annoying bugs, including characters aiming with no weapons (even my own character), bad AI, actions not working (like, once I needed to help Ellie get to a ladder, but there was no "Press triangle") clickers grabbing me through walls (happened twice only, but still pretty annoying) among others.

And last but no least... There's no way to install the disc version of the game. That's really bad, because if you play the disc version, you will encounter frame rate issues (first time you see a horse in the dam, for example) and the loading takes a lot of time. But that's about it.

On everything else, this is truly an amazing game, definitely one of the big games of 2013. Really worth buying!
  91. Nov 13, 2013
    Definite quality, in-the-moment, challenging gameplay and an amazing story, The Last of Us offers something that is extremely powerful and immersive, in terms of experience of the player. Horrifying, heart-touching and deep at the same time, you know that the game is good if they deliver all these three qualities right out at the beginning. Aside from the rather questionable ending thatDefinite quality, in-the-moment, challenging gameplay and an amazing story, The Last of Us offers something that is extremely powerful and immersive, in terms of experience of the player. Horrifying, heart-touching and deep at the same time, you know that the game is good if they deliver all these three qualities right out at the beginning. Aside from the rather questionable ending that ultimately alludes a sequel (the ending could have rather been more expanding), the game would've definitely deserved 10 out of 10. Expand
  92. Nov 13, 2013
    First of all this is not Uncharted. This was better than Uncharted for me and I loved Uncharted especially 2. But what stood out to me was the story. This is one of the best stories this year and it's ironic that only a handful of people will get to experience it (Note that I'm comparing this game mostly to movies i've watched this year because games don't even compare). The story is soFirst of all this is not Uncharted. This was better than Uncharted for me and I loved Uncharted especially 2. But what stood out to me was the story. This is one of the best stories this year and it's ironic that only a handful of people will get to experience it (Note that I'm comparing this game mostly to movies i've watched this year because games don't even compare). The story is so good because of how it is told, the characters, the music, the hundreds of subtleties. The gameplay is excellent as well and is extremely fun. But what stood out to me was the "realness" and believablity of this world and story and how everything is told plus the characters and violence. It all fit together beautifully even though this is not a shiny happy world. In fin, there really isn't anything wrong with this game except that fact that it had to inevitably end sometime. I just wish more people, who weren't gamers, could experience this story because a lot of people who love movies and books are really missing out and a lot of gamers as well like xbox owners and even some ps3 owners. The only way you might not like this game is if you really hate post apocalyptic setting. Expand
  93. Nov 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The story is delicious in many ways. However Tess (sniffle*) should have lasted a bit more during the game. Probaaaaably the best game of the year. Voice acting was incredible! Expand
  94. Nov 15, 2013
    Is a beautiful looking game with an incredible campaign, the multi-player was nice but really needed some more modes as its clearly focused towards the campaign; which there's nothing wrong with as it was brilliant but a few new modes and maps would have been ideal.

Other than that, well recommended.
  95. Nov 19, 2013
    I had a xbox 360,and had no intention of buying a ps3(But i had great interest in Gow 3 and uncharted series).But unfortunately this game conjured me into buying a ps3.And you know what? it's worth it.
  96. Nov 19, 2013
    This is what other games should aspire to be, the graphics were really amazing and detailed, by far the best console graphics I have seen, the gameplay is really tense and intuitive, and the best part is that gameplay is non linear, you can go in guns blazing, use stealth takedowns or even pass through an area without killing anyone and it also encourages exploration to find supplies sinceThis is what other games should aspire to be, the graphics were really amazing and detailed, by far the best console graphics I have seen, the gameplay is really tense and intuitive, and the best part is that gameplay is non linear, you can go in guns blazing, use stealth takedowns or even pass through an area without killing anyone and it also encourages exploration to find supplies since ammunition is really scarce, and the mix of sometimes having to fight humans and other times having to fight infected really mixes things up and you will have to constantly change your tactics, the crafting was also great because everything you craft is performed in real time so you won't have to pause the game so the inmersion is never broken, but as good as the gameplay is the story is what the game was all about to me, the story is intriguing and unpredictable, characters all have their own little backstory and all are very well developed, especially Joel and Ellie and how their relation was constantly evoling throughout the game, in short words this game is a masterpiece and by far my number 1 best game of all time, so you should definitely give it a go, trust me, you won't regret it. Expand
  97. Nov 21, 2013
    The Last of Us was simply perfect for me. It convinces in every aspect: an incredibly touching story, awesome characters, a fun and challenging gameplay as well as really good graphics and (voice-)acting. I enjoyed it from the first to the last cutscene and could replay it again and again. In my eyes, it is a new milestone for the gaming industry and every upcoming adventure game will beThe Last of Us was simply perfect for me. It convinces in every aspect: an incredibly touching story, awesome characters, a fun and challenging gameplay as well as really good graphics and (voice-)acting. I enjoyed it from the first to the last cutscene and could replay it again and again. In my eyes, it is a new milestone for the gaming industry and every upcoming adventure game will be compared to TLoU. Expand
  98. Nov 21, 2013
    At first I wasn't sure to buy a brand new copy of this game. I thought I should wait a little more until I could buy it cheaper or lend it from a friend. I don't know why I risked it instead. I swear every cent of this game is worth. The music made by Gustavo Santaolalla has trapped me. The graphics (obviously a better version of the uncharted Engine) are stunning and very detailed. TheAt first I wasn't sure to buy a brand new copy of this game. I thought I should wait a little more until I could buy it cheaper or lend it from a friend. I don't know why I risked it instead. I swear every cent of this game is worth. The music made by Gustavo Santaolalla has trapped me. The graphics (obviously a better version of the uncharted Engine) are stunning and very detailed. The history is deep and it feels like being part of the post-apocalyptic world. There are moments were I felt sorry for some characters and moments were I had fear. It remembered me once more why since my childhood always dreamed to be a game-programmer. Games ARE Art! And this one is a Masterpiece. Hint: There is a lovely making of the last of us documentary. (dlc, psn) Expand
  99. Nov 22, 2013
    The Last of Us story from the start to the end glued me to my ps3 with tears in depth sorrow and wondering what happens next!! just 1 line for this new comer from naughty dogs:

"at the dawn of the current gen. a masterpiece reign supreme against all"
  100. Nov 24, 2013
    Naughty Dog has created one of the greatest game this generation. It's not for everyone because of it's violence but story is one of the best and gameplay fun and smooth. Aiming is great unlike what some people say... Definitely a must-buy if you have a ps3. The multiplayer also is great but has a little problems and it should've included infected. But other than that a GREAT game.
  101. Apr 21, 2014
    The Last of Us is an incredible journey in the post apocalyptic United States. The game is simply an exemplary narrative of the lives of Joel and Ellie. Naughty Dog does a stellar job of expressing emotions through Artificial Intelligence, great voice acting, and spectacular animation. The characters have been developed to such an extent that they feel real. The little bits and pieces inThe Last of Us is an incredible journey in the post apocalyptic United States. The game is simply an exemplary narrative of the lives of Joel and Ellie. Naughty Dog does a stellar job of expressing emotions through Artificial Intelligence, great voice acting, and spectacular animation. The characters have been developed to such an extent that they feel real. The little bits and pieces in the game which force you to believe that they exist never fail to amaze me.

This game is one of a kind, and quite easily my favorite of all time. I highly recommend this game to anyone who has not yet played it.

I know it's late, but I advise you strongly to obtain a copy.

1. Sep 16, 2013
  2. Sep 10, 2013
  3. Official PlayStation Magazine Benelux
    Sep 4, 2013
    Despite the breakneck pace of the prologue, it takes quite a while for The Last of Us to pick up some speed again. However, once the cold harsh winter arrives, the action (and story) ramps up. So much so, it puts most Hollywood productions to shame. [July 2013, p.76]