• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Jun 14, 2013
User Score
9.1

Universal acclaim- based on 6156 Ratings

User score distribution:

Review this game

  1. Your Score
    0 out of 10
    Rate this:
    • 10
    • 9
    • 8
    • 7
    • 6
    • 5
    • 4
    • 3
    • 2
    • 1
    • 0
    • 0
  1. Submit
  2. Check Spelling
  1. Aug 27, 2014
    10
    3 Words only. Best. Game. Ever...

    Recommended for everyone best game ever created, its sad, and awesome! I will play forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  2. Aug 27, 2014
    10
    Certainly the most powerfully and effectively written storyline in game media I have played to date. Replaying difficult sections can be frustrating but only if you insist on playing on a difficult setting. The gameplay serves the storytelling effectively while continuing to be entertaining for the majority of the game.

    The game's ability to predict my future actions in the intro was
    stunning. Because the game seemed to respond to me, and didn't feel scripted. I was floored by this game, and I will remember it fondly. Expand
  3. Aug 27, 2014
    9
    A great story which happens to be told in a video game format. Although the story overpowered the video game experience. Only for that it's not a 10 for me.
    STORY AND CHARACTERS: Perfect story and perfect balance between the two main characters. There's no good or bad here. Only hope and the need to survive
    PRESENTATION: Naughty Dog has used the PS3 like no other developer. When we think
    you can't see anything better than the Uncharted series they pull this off!
    GAMEPLAY: this is where i hoped to see a bit more of the video game experience. It's not totally balanced and you don't feel comfortable because of the scarce resources. I know it's meant to be this way but a little more action wouldn't harm the game.
    ONLINE: Played it a couple of times but it's not Naughty Dog forte.
    An experience that pushes video games to a different level. Absolutely mandatory.
    Expand
  4. Aug 27, 2014
    5
    The Last of Us абсолютно линейна. Любой уровень — это, по сути, коридор с небольшими ответвлениями, в которых разложены ножницы, изолента, патроны и аптечки (а также мусор, который, кажется, прибили к полу). Все они следуют друг за другом в установленном порядке. В каком-то смысле The Last of Us — это зомби-аналог RPG Final Fantasy XIII (а та, как известно, считается образцом плохого гейм-дизайна). Обе игры абсолютно линейны, состоят преимущественно из боев и сюжетных сцен и не предоставляют возможности напрямую контролировать поведение напарников. В обеих играх все очень неплохо с графической составляющей — правда, приходится признать, что с точки зрения анимации и мимики персонажей The Last of Us с легкостью обходит FF XIII.

    Если коротко, то у Naughty Dog получилась игра, за прохождением которой любопытно наблюдать — а вот проходить ее менее интересно. Студия доказала две вещи: во-первых, зомби по-прежнему востребованы. Во-вторых, видеоигра может вызывать как минимум такую же эмоциональную отдачу, как и, например, телесериал. Пока, правда, не очень понятно, куда это выведет студию в следующий раз. Быть может, новая работа Naughty Dog станет компьютерным мультфильмом с некоторыми интерактивными элементами — или, напротив, у компании получится совместить захватывающую историю и симпатичных персонажей с качественным геймплеем.

    Источник: http://lenta.ru/articles/2013/06/21/lastofus/
    Expand
  5. Aug 23, 2014
    10
    My best experience in the video game world, masterpiece. Gameplay, scenario, feels, so, all they good in this game, I waw marked by this experience, it's a true masterpiece.
  6. Aug 23, 2014
    10
    I don't understand the low scores some people have given to this game at all. IMO it is one of the best, if not THE best game I've ever played. I was so caught up in the story that I cried more than once. Yeah, some of the puzzle type things are repetitive - like finding pallets - but the story, the characters, the environments and the fighting more than make up for it - besides you don't have a lot to work with after 20 years of a violent plague almost wiping out mankind. I liked finding ammo and things to craft with and, for me anyway, I found the sneaking and fighting very challenging on the Normal setting. I'm an avid 60 year old gamer and I'm not out to prove I can beat the game on super hard mode, I don't try for all the trophies and I'm not a trolling fan boy - I enjoy a good game with a great story and this game has it!!! In spades!! I'm on my 3rd go round and cannot stop playing it. The characters and the things they go through are so realistic. The voice acting is phenomenal and the other sounds in the environment are extremely realistic. The infected enemies are scary as **** and the human enemies are sometimes worse! It was very satisfying whacking the crap out of them with a melee weapon. I found the controls pretty easy once you got used to them. I did have to die a few times in some places but I always managed to figure out different strategies for killing all enemies and getting all loot.
    This game kept me interested all the way through and more - not like the disappointing Watch Dogs where I was bored to death after a few chapters - The Last of US is definitely worth your money and I can't wait for the upcoming movie I heard about. Joel and Ellie get my vote for the best voiced and best written characters in any video game ever made!!
    Expand
  7. Aug 23, 2014
    7
    This is THE most overrated I have ever played. But read on - I'm not a mindless hater. The game is good, It's just not as good as everyone is leading you to believe.
    So The Last of Us is a game from Naughty Dog, and as such - it comes with some privileges, like better understanding of PlayStation Tech and a pretty huge budget. This guarantees it won't be a bad game, and it's not. But let
    me tell you why it isn't the masterpiece everyone has been leading all of us to believe it is.
    Graphically, it's a pretty game. A lot of people go out of their way to tell us how beautiful it is. And sure, some scenes do look awesome, some views are indeed, as Ellie points out at least 50 times during the game, pretty good, but it isn't the best looking PS3 game, nor the best that Naughty Dog have delivered. If you disagree, go back and play Uncharted 3 again - better design, better texture quality. It is pretty obvious that this game has been toned down from the PS4 version to be released on PS3.
    The sound and voicework are pretty awesome, as most games from this dev delivered thus far. Some soundtrack choices are peculiar, but haunting and moving none the less.
    However, the writing of the game is noticeably worse than what we've come to expect from Naughty Dog. Particularly, Ellie's part is written terribly, giving the actress no actual words to work with. And the overall plot has huge issues, mainly the fact that the game is not about anything. It isn't about Joel and Ellie and their relationship, it's not about a journey, it's not even about saving human kind - it's just a game with nothing to say. It's a empty, fun vessel and nothing more. The Director missed too many of opportunities to make this experience special or noteworthy. The most interesting part of The Last of Us are the Infected, though the game isn't much about them either. / SPOILERS / And the ending is too disappointing to even be considered a proper ending. Without giving too much away, it practically makes the whole game entirely pointless. Most games end with the player saving the world, or someone special. The world - obvious choice, it makes everyone feel at least a bit happy with their experience. However, this game forces you to make the other choice and save someone special. However, the game didn't give me not one reason to really care and like neither Joel or Ellie, and even if you like them - the thing is that the game does not make you feel for Ellie as Joel feels for her, and that is where the problems lie, in my opinion. / END SPOILERS /
    Gameplay is probably the strongest point of The Last of Us, however there are a few issues with pacing here and there, along with a few really awkward decisions that lead nowhere. Even at that, both stealth sections and gunfights are intense, well-thought out and balanced - probably the best we've seen from Naughty Dog.
    And that is pretty much it. It's a weak "The Walking Dead" spinoff, that is not that great. It's not a "masterpiece" - a 100%, a 10/10 or a 5/5. A game considered a masterpiece must have meaning, better writing, and not only good looks, but good design too. To me, everyone who gives this game above an 8 is either dumb or has been paid to do so. If you don't agree on my points - go play The Walking Dead Season 1, there you can see how much better executed is a very similar plot.
    Most people have heard probably of BioShock Infinite - a game that was not so overhyped. I'm bringing it up, because it's a good example to compare The Last of Us with - about writing, about how the game is directed to make you care and about the fact that it contains meaning, it contains something that will haunt you until you die. This is something The Last of Us strives to achieve, but I believe that ultimately it's bad directing and a weak plot that bring it down from greatness.
    The Last of Us is indeed the most overrated game I have ever seen and played. However, that does not mean it's not a good game - it is. It's fun, very fun in fact, and I do recommend it, because there is something to it. It's just not the masterpiece everyone is now almost taught to say it is.
    Expand
  8. Aug 21, 2014
    10
    I not going to lie, but this game is nearly perfect. The story is good. Though if you a story like this before is no surprise. The writing makes the game feel and sound real. The story feel a natural pace. There's zombie, but they're not zombies. The game calls them "Infected". There's three types of them: Runners will run and smack you. Clickers will walk up to you and kill you in one move. And Bloaters just Clickers but stronger. This game claim to be horror but the game isn't scary. To the people say I just going to watch it on Youtube are dumb. Is not the story that's makes the game good is the experience. There's online and is good as the game. I say get it. This game is at PS3 and PS4. Expand
  9. Aug 21, 2014
    5
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum. Expand
  10. Aug 21, 2014
    10
    This is not a review, this is a love letter to Naughty dog :)
    This is not a video game, this is interactive experience and absolutely the best game I have ever played.
    First of all, I don't,like Apocalypse, games, somehow they are not exactly my cup of tea. But this lifeless world is in a specific way full of life. Life, your life and way more important, girls life. The way i felt while
    playing The Last of us i felt so emotional and the atmosphere was so intensive that i could feel the weight of a burden to preserve girls life. Very story driven, absolutely awesome characters and great actors. Game design is great and I mean in functional and aesthetic way. Foliage is greener than in far cry witch is synonym for paradise on virtual earth.
    Stealth great, AI very good, combat very good, graphics stellar ( how PS 3 could handle this I don't, know)
    In any way a must have game.
    Clear 10 :)
    Expand
  11. Aug 19, 2014
    10
    I rarely complete videogames, as I often find plots boring: this game made me change how I look to videogames plots. Amazing, nothing else to say. I loved it and I still love it
  12. Aug 18, 2014
    1
    The content of this game is great 10 out of 10. The gameplay is challenging and you have to use your brain for good strategy. The only problem is I beat it in about 25hrs or 1 weekend. I was not able to max out any of my weapon upgrades or health upgrades. I spent a lot of time searching rooms and drawers too. I would say I probably searched at least 90% or the areas so its not like I just ran through it. I spent about $40 on it so I am a little disappointed. These types of games are fun but they are not made to repeat over and over. So basically I am done with it. Expand
  13. Aug 18, 2014
    10
    By far the best game I have ever played. You instantly feel for the characters. It's frightening, intense and often induces a small tear and a tight chest. Absolutely loved it and would play it again and again. The story is gripping from the word go, the combat panic inducing at times. A perfect mix of everything that makes a truly epic game. It is a very scary premonition of the world were this to truly happen. Loved every second. Never have I been so apprehensive as to open a door. Expand
  14. Aug 17, 2014
    8
    Lets get this out of the way immediately: The Last of Us is a fantastic experience and you should play it. However, I think that the game itself has been praised so much that its many little flaws have been ignored by most.

    The story itself is that of a zombie apocalypse with a different name; clickers are innovative in the way that they are blind, this allows you to play along with the
    stealth mechanic. Other than that, they are just zombies. Also, why the fungae needs to be spreaded through open wounds (bites and scratches) while there are spores for aerial contagion -which, anyone who has played Plague Inc would agree this is the best way to get a virus to spread- is baffling to me.

    I will not spoil anything, but I think the ending could have been bleaker. By the end, I was not sympathizing with Joel at all, he was just being a selfish dick.
    I think Naughty Dog was playing it safe and I did not appreciate the ending.

    The Stealth Mechanic works great for Joel, however, your AI companions can be really stupid. Specially when you get around with Bill, I remember at one point while entering an infected-ridden zone, he muttered the line "We must be quiet here", right before blasting off his very loud shot gun at an infected and ruining my whole stealth approach.

    This would also have happened (quite a lot) with Ellie, since her running around right under the nose of the enemies was quite a common occurrence. Thankfully the AI seems locked to only take up on Joel's movements and actions, so your companion's AI behavior won't affect them (companion AI behavior will only affect enemy response if they fire a shotgun at their face - Thanks again, Bill). This was appreciated, but it broke the immersion a bit.

    I noticed a few glitches here and there, also some ragdoll physics and the obvious texture pops are evidence of the last-gen power of the PlayStation 3. However, they are completely right to call this a fitting swansong to the system; it really pushes it to its limit and its an absolute success in that. Environments are gorgeous and I couldn't help feeling ompletely distracted by the vistas, especially in the Spring part of the game.

    The characters are greatly fleshed out, they react to almost everything the game has to offer, even the innane chatting while traversing an uneventful section of town is magnificently human. Ashley Johnson's portrayal of a 14 year old girl toughened up by the circumstances the world is facing is absolutely engaging, and Troy Baker's worn down southener that is Joel is an absolute pleasure to listen to.

    Gustavo Santaolalla's soundtrack is perfect for this game, its bleak and gloomy and I wish it would have continued so until the very end.

    Still, you can't miss out on this game; its a beautiful experience that tells a tale of a broken down man that has severed himself from society even in a time that you would think mankind should stand together and not jump at each other's troath.

    This is still a blockbuster AAA game, with the Naughty Dog trademark all over it (a bit Uncharted-y at times, I feel) but with fleshed out characters and an entertaining story. Despite its many little flaws, hopefully this game's popularity is turning enough heads in the industry on what gamers are expecting from developers.

    Lastly, don't miss out on the multiplayer. The single player mechanics work surprsingly well and its quite challenging.
    Expand
  15. Aug 16, 2014
    10
    The only decent game I have played in a while and it's made for a relic. Imagine if this was built taking advantage of a high end PC. I gave a ten as compared to the other 99% of crappy games out there this comes out tops, a rather sad thing to say about the gaming industry.
  16. Aug 15, 2014
    7
    Unfortunately someone on here has to write a real review so here you go, you're welcome.

    The Last of Us won over 200 GOTY awards. Don't forget that fact, no Sony fan will ever let you. Does that make it a good game? Absolutely not.

    As has come to be expected from Naughty Dog, The Last of Us excels in presentation. Truly, the art, overall graphics, animation, even the voice acting are
    phenomenal. You won't find better than them in any other title. Beyond Two Souls is on par, but not better, when it comes to presentation. The dialogue seems legit and it is often times entertaining.

    Unfortunately after you get over that, The Last of Us is nothing more than a meme-stuffed stroll through the drudgery of not only video game cliches, but also the rest of popular media. Comparisons have been made to Cormac McCarthy and the similarity is only cosmetic if you examine the Road and TLOU side by side. Comparisons can be made to The Book of Eli, I Am Legend, and literally every other zombie movie that has ever been made - because that's what this is, an emulation of the zombie genre, but not a parody.

    The gameplay in The Last of Us is absolutely mind numbing. Whether it's the lack of variety or the overall redundancy of every single segment save the very first 20 minutes of the game, there is absolutely nothing entertaining about it. As the game progresses you are simply playing a movie and the only way to progress it is to get from cutscene to cutscene. Once you realize this, you'll also come to the realization that just like Uncharted, the Last of Us is an overrated blockbuster whose merits come from technical accomplishment - and not from actual gameplay, which should be the defining characteristic of a video game.

    Ignoring the plot holes involving Ellie and Joel, the gameplay changes once you switch characters, but only for about 20 minutes, and not in any way that should be remotely unfamiliar to survival horror enthusiasts. After that, the gameplay changes again from a somewhat stealth driven survival game into a flat out murder simulator, just like Uncharted, and it sheds all former pretense of being interesting, ending in one ridiculous shootout sequence that would give Uncharted 3 a run for its money.

    The only saving grace to the gameplay is the multitude of multiplayer modes. Essentially it is just team deathmatch, but the survivalist aspects of the game and the moderate realism have been worked in to make it truly interesting while at the same time hilarious. I've never played another game where someone beating me to death with a plank of wood was so hilarious - whether because it's stupidly overpowered or a riot to watch.
    Expand
  17. Aug 14, 2014
    10
    A masterpiece that surpasses Uncharted 2 and tells a realistic tale and gives a vicious gameplay. I'm just wordless with this game. It's just amazing.

    Yep.
  18. Aug 13, 2014
    7
    Ah finally a game that simulates/plays a survival horror/adventuresque post-apocaly.....wait....this has been done before....but not quite as good looking, The Last of Us is essentially a lovechild of Resi 4/ Uncharted/Metal Gear/The Road and I AM LEGEND....Sounds great on paper but just doesn't give you the big hype reaction you were hoping especially on it's PS4 Revival, Humanity has been hit hard by the Cordyceps Fungus infecting Human hosts and turning them into the usual BS of some sort of infected man eating fungus zombie hybrid, in comes Joel... A tragedy and years of survival against the infected have made Joel into Battle Hardened Bear Grylls minus the camera crew, fortunately Joel is very likeable an despite his cold Solid Snake killing skills he is a pretty good guy... he almost takes as much damage as wolverine in this story which is crazy....until you meet certain enemies... see the games enemies are Humans who are armed like gears of war characters, Infected Humans who haven't turned fully but still have a serious killer instinct and Metal Gear Extreme difficulty vision which is really irritating especially when the Stealth sections start, also we have Clickers and Bloaters... Clickers are humans that have been overtaken by the Fungus and do not have any sight but instead rely on hearing you creep around seriously any movement and your screwed and especially in tight spots the enemies can come in all varieties and quickly over power you causing a brutal and cheap death, the infected humans barrage you like flies on poo and then sometimes the clickers do instant kills seriously it gets old very quickly and even if your not moving sometimes the clickers just kill you anyway it's like hey screw it I cant see you but I'm gonna eat you anyway! Then we have the Bloaters.... Best way to describe them is like the Tank Zombies in left for dead except these guys take tons of damage before they die and can see you any way and throw these like fungus bombs at you alerting all other enemies in the vicinity! However you only see a couple throughout the whole campaign so that can be forgiven, in comes Ellie, she is basically a rip off of Ellen Page.. but she's ok an only a couple of times does she become a liability, she has a ridiculous boss battle where the boss does one hit kills which really drove me nuts! Apart from the skanky cheap deaths the game is stunning on PS3 and really has pushed the machine to the limits, the Graphics are slick and virtually flawless however some of the cut scenes are in game engine or sometimes CGI... and trigger some obscene loading times and even saving can take upto a minute....the music is awesome and the voice acting great some really nice pieces have been written in and the story is okish... sometimes the controls just don't do what you want them to do and sometimes drops you into....you guessed it an instant death! which sucks I nearly smashed my pad playing this but apart from overpowered enemies, ok chase scenes and some stupid encounters the game is pretty enjoyable the story kept me going and I really wanted to stick with Joel and Ellie and watch them succeed and their relationship grow, now throw in the PS4.... Yesus... the PS4 version has been given 60 FPS and 1080p resolution... Whoopy doo I don't care every game developer says the same crap these days 1080 bla bla our game is crap but it's in 1080p while the game does have a bit more detail than it's PS3 it's not worth shelling out for a PS4 and the updated "Remastered" game... did a game that's barely a year old really need to be Remastered? Answer.... no not really, ok so you get loads of multiplayer crap and the Left Behind DLC but if you have already bought for PS3 don't rebuy, I personally enjoyed Uncharted 2 + 3 more but if you want a great story it's worth maybe getting hold of the PS3 version but if PS4 is your only choice then go for that. Expand
  19. Aug 11, 2014
    9
    The Storyline is amazing, even though the ending wasn't as satisfying. Awesome graphics and voice acting, The stealth can be just a little boring sometimes but overall it's a must have game for people who love games with an amazing storyline
  20. Aug 11, 2014
    9
    The Last of Us was definitely one of this years best games. The writing, voice acting, and story were all extremely solid. It sucks you in and keeps you engaged in a flowing narrative and the game play did its best to keep you engaged and working to progress. The one negative I could find would be that on occasion you feel like the developers simply inserted the same puzzle in a different scenario which tends to feel more like a chore than a puzzle at that point. Expand
  21. Aug 9, 2014
    10
    I've been a PC gamer for the majority of my life and I really wanted to try this game out. I just never wanted to spend the money on a console (ps3). During the release of the PS4, it made sense to hop on board, due to the amount of exclusives that Sony has. This is by far one of the best single-player games I've ever played in my lifetime. This is up there with Half-Life (insert all the expansions), Half-Life 2, Bioshock, and many others. Expand
  22. Aug 9, 2014
    6
    I felt restricted by the banality of the puzzles and the sections where the 'run button' is deactivated. The excellence of the art and level design is moderately entertaining, even when Joel is restricted to slowly walk through 10 minute sections. So it takes a non-gamer mindset to appreciate the game, imagining what the world has been like leading up to the state presented, rather than a classic problem-solving approach where you are fully attended to progressing through the game. When Call of Duty shows technical excellence and standard gameplay, I call it an entertaining game. TLoU is similar in its ratio of technical excellence vs gameplay innovation. It's entertaining and a feast for the eyes. But the exciting zombie franchise is still called The Walking Dead, and the exciting Naughty Dog franchise is called Uncharted.

    I leaned towards a 7/10 or even 8/10, but I stopped playing after completing the campaign. No alternative game modes (except online) to play around with. No exciting trophies to attempt. Just a few dozen inconsequential collectibles scattered throughout the campaign, and trophies for completing it several times. In a campaign where so many sections play on the strength of surprise and 'first-sight-marvel' I'd just rather play something else after seeing it once.

    The ending is satisfying, but you could just read a plot summary and then watch the final hour on Youtube and get what the game wanted to tell. I liked the message (hint: love) but it wasn't necessary to trod through so many hours of slow progression to feel the impact of the story.
    Expand
  23. Aug 9, 2014
    10
    The Last of Us um dos melhores jogos que já joguei na minha vida, o enredo emocionante, cada detalhe do jogo é fantástico , gráficos muito bons, a Naught Dog ta de parabéns ,pra mim seria o game do ano, obra prima mesmo.
  24. Aug 8, 2014
    7
    Solid writing, well paced story, and impressive visuals make for an entertaining adventure. However repetitive level design, and clunky AI will none the less detract from your experience in The Last of US.
  25. Aug 8, 2014
    9
    Oh, The Last of Us...this game amazed me! From the start to the beginning, this game is filled with action, great animations and deep emotions until the end.
    Naughty Dog shows at the end of the last console generation what the PS3 is capable of! I never thought, that the Playstation 3 was able to build such amazing graphics.
    The only negative thing: hours of playtime...sadly it was like
    this in the Uncharted series too but it was totally worth it to play this 16 hours of this masterpiece! Expand
  26. Aug 3, 2014
    10
    I don't know what to say, I don't remember much... because it blew my mind. There is nothing left of me except the awestruck face I am frozen with. Never ever will I dismiss games as being just for adolescents again. Do your country justice and buy this game NOW!!!
  27. Aug 3, 2014
    10
    One of the best games I have ever played. Gameplay, graphics, storyline controls all thought out well and makes for a game that will always remember look forward to playing again in the remastered version.
  28. Jul 30, 2014
    10
    Лучшая игра за десять лет. Ну и вы понимаете, почему 10 лет. Сюжет, персонажи, геймплей - все в игре идеально сделано.
    Поэтому просто 10 из 10. Всем рекомендую купить игру, если нет возможности, то просто посмотреть её видео-прохождение.
  29. Jul 29, 2014
    10
    This game is a work of art. Top-notch voice acting, beautiful graphics, and a story that left me in tears by the end of the first segment of the game. The combat is nothing too special and the puzzles are often easy and just minor annoyances, and there are a few kinks with the games AI, but all of this is eclipsed by the amount that this game achieves in terms of storytelling and characters. To me, this is about as perfect as a game can get. Expand
  30. Jul 29, 2014
    10
    I've heard mixed reviews on this game ranging from "it's too boring and slow moving" to "this is the greatest game of all time". I can now say, after playing through the bulk of this game, that I completely understand both sides of reviews. For those of you who want an adrenaline rush of game play with constant action, go elsewhere for your gaming experience as this is not the game for you.

    However, those of you who enjoy imaginative immersion in a well-crafted storyline, realistic/believable characters, beautiful artwork and game design, exploration, and solid game play, look no further. The environments are mesmerizing, the character movement is gorgeous, the dialogue and voice acting is superb, the mix of stealth/scavenging/shooting within the twists and turns of the games story is as excellent as video games come.

    The game basically plays as a 3rd person shooter (think Resident Evil 4+5) with stealth elements (think Splinter Cell) and crafting (again, think Resident Evil 4+5). Additionally, as you traverse the lengths of the storyline, you will find yourself in a myriad of settings ranging from (but not limited to) the outskirts of the city refuge to a deserted town and all the way to the wilderness, university campus, and sewers. Each new area and chapter in the game flows along the tide of TLoU's amazingly executed storyline - and the characters you play as become increasingly unique, realistic, and dear to your heart. I cannot tell you how astounded I was throughout my first play through. I can honestly say that the enjoyment of this game remained throughout the second play through as well.

    *I believe my total play through time for the game was roughly around 18 hours or so. I suppose it would depend on how quickly you are attempting to finish - my style included quite a bit of exploration and a steady pace throughout to soak up the beauty of the game.

    Definitely within the top 5 best games I have ever experienced. Well worth the price of a ps3 for this game alone. I would highly recommend for post-apocalyptic enthusiasts.
    Expand
Metascore
95

Universal acclaim - based on 98 Critics

Critic score distribution:
  1. Positive: 97 out of 98
  2. Negative: 0 out of 98
  1. Sep 16, 2013
    97
    Flawless in its ambition and almost perfect in its execution. A brave and remarkable game quite unlike any other.
  2. Sep 10, 2013
    80
    The Last of Us is a great action-adventure game that manages to capture the feeling of post-apocalypse and survival. The story is alright but way too manipulative and borrows heavily from other, better, material. Still the segmented survival gameplay and the amazing audiovisual production makes the game an experience everybody should check out.
  3. Despite the breakneck pace of the prologue, it takes quite a while for The Last of Us to pick up some speed again. However, once the cold harsh winter arrives, the action (and story) ramps up. So much so, it puts most Hollywood productions to shame. [July 2013, p.76]