• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Jun 14, 2013
9.1

1. Apr 16, 2015
    Guesssssssssss what, this is also just cuzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz i can
  2. Mar 27, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Good graphics, gameplay is lacking depth. Characters are interesting but story is nothing special. It baffles me that people are giving it 10/10. I mean what is really special about this game? It is practically a corridor shooter, RE4 has done that better this game. Expand
  3. Mar 27, 2015
    There are few games that come along that are able to combine stunning visuals, immersive worlds, engaging gameplay, impeccable writing, superb character development, meaningful collectibles, and the ability to carry those accomplishments through a well-paced and suspenseful narrative that leaves you satisfied, resolved, yet wanting more. The Last of Us achieves this, perhaps better thanThere are few games that come along that are able to combine stunning visuals, immersive worlds, engaging gameplay, impeccable writing, superb character development, meaningful collectibles, and the ability to carry those accomplishments through a well-paced and suspenseful narrative that leaves you satisfied, resolved, yet wanting more. The Last of Us achieves this, perhaps better than any game before it and it’ll be awhile until it happens again. This is all because of the masterful geniuses over at Naughty Dog, a game development studio that prides itself on the ability to create interactive stories that entertain on a whole other level. This particular game was led by Neil Druckmann and Bruce Straley whose delicate balance between movie-esque cutscenes and player control help create an ebb and flow that works flawlessly.

The Last of Us follows the relationship of Joel and Ellie as they fight for survival in a post-apocalyptic world. Joel is a middle-aged man who has become hardened by the world, while Ellie is a young fourteen year old girl who has known nothing besides the quarantine zone she has lived in her whole life. Outside the quarantine zone walls are infected humans who have become victim to Cordyceps, a real type of fungus that takes over the brain (so far only in insects, don’t freak out) and causes odd behavior. Perhaps the greater threats are the humans who are not infected, who fight for the little resources that are left in this world.
    These resources are scarce, and are what makes The Last of Us gameplay something unique, special, and fun. During my first play-through on the PlayStation 3, I played through the normal mode and searched everywhere for anything I could find, and gathered together quite a bit of supplies. But even at my highest moments I had only a couple rounds of ammo. When I returned to the game on the PlayStation 4, I opted for the hardest difficulty, Grounded, and rarely had more than a handful of bullets. This makes every encounter with any enemy tense, forcing you to be stealthy and use bricks and bottles to distract opponents one by one. No matter the difficulty, The Last of Us makes sure you know the desperation that Joel feels and the motivation he must maintain to make every shot count.

The enemies you use these resources against are exceptional as well, with AI and dialogue that make them feel human. For example, if you shoot at a hunter with no more ammo and your gun clicks, then he will shout “he’s out of ammo!” and the rest of the group will become more aggressive. If you take an enemy hostage as a human shield then the others will plead for you to let him go with surprisingly earnest and distressed inflection. This makes murder in The Last of Us feel more real than almost any other game, for you genuinely feel the weight of the death in a world with not many people left.

The other adversaries you’ll encounter are infected humans who are found in different stages of infection. Some are in the initial stages of the fungi spreading in their head, causing them to be able to see and run, yet their hearing is awful. The fungus then explodes out of their eyes, causing them to be unable to see but giving them bat-like sonar hearing. They are also a much greater threat with their bites able to kill you instantly. This balance between humans, “runners,” “Clickers,” and more make each new environment thrilling. You must strategize for each kind of encounter and constantly shift your play-style in order to adjust to the foe you face.

All of this fighting for survival takes place in a world where nature has reclaimed everything. Skyscrapers and buildings crumble as years of rain, rot, and rust slowly cause cities to decay. Grass and trees grow in the cracks and turn urban areas into lush forests. Naughty Dog’s attention to detail, use of vivid colors as well as appealing earth tones, and wonderful ambient music (composed by the gifted Gustavo Santaolalla) set the stage for every moment of survival, rest, and exploration.

Neil Druckmann’s writing is dark, authentic, and believable in every character. Out of a fear of spoiling the development of any of the characters I will simply say that Joel and Ellie are characters of tremendous depth, and each member of the accompanying cast not only inspire evolution of Joel and Ellie’s personality but also have enough complexity to stand on their own. These characters are portrayed exquisitely by extraordinarily talented actors, including Troy Baker (Joel) and Ashley Johnson (Ellie). Naughty Dog uses motion capture on a stage to capture both body movements and voice work at the same time to create a fluid and natural performance.

The Last of Us is a work of art, a work of genius, and a masterpiece that sets a very high standard for story-driven games going forward. The diligence of Naughty Dog pays off and their success is a game everyone should experience. Go play it, and make every shot count.
  4. Mar 25, 2015
    I played "The Last of Us" when it first came out, and to this day it's still my favorite game. When describing it to friends I describe the experience of playing this game as, "3 days of nonstop anxiety and sadness, and absolutely stunning" but it is really so much more than that.

The animation style was fluid and beautiful, and put you in the mindset and emotional state required to play as those characters, and to really invest yourself in the story, and it allowed you to really think, "what would I do in this situation."

I am a little bit biased towards liking stories and games like this; however. A realistic (almost to realistic story) highlighting the moral ambiguity or dubiousness of a character.

Good story, music and animation. I would recommend it to anyone who could handle it.
  5. Mar 22, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Beautifully written. One of those rare games that ACTUALLY deserve a 10. This game is a great example of how to do story right AND maintain that level to the end. Usually stories in games just are inconsistent, but not here. The gameplay part might not revolutionize gaming in general, but it does it well and it is kind of a thrilling ride.

It is also an example of how to take something cliche, like zombies/infected in general and make it original. That kind of stuff surprises you. More gems like this are needed.
  6. Mar 22, 2015
    When a game genre is getting stale, it will usually disappear forever...but not so for the survival horror games and that's all thanks to this masterpiece called The Last of Us. The story is full of suspense and emotional moments which was formerly something you'd only find in films. You can really connect to the main characters here (Joel and Ellie) which is always something that I'dWhen a game genre is getting stale, it will usually disappear forever...but not so for the survival horror games and that's all thanks to this masterpiece called The Last of Us. The story is full of suspense and emotional moments which was formerly something you'd only find in films. You can really connect to the main characters here (Joel and Ellie) which is always something that I'd appreciate. The gameplay (specifically the combat) is refreshing and the visuals surprised me in the best way possible. Get The Last of Us. Get it now. Expand
  7. Mar 19, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Last Of Us definitely deserves the praise it has been showered with. Yes, it is the typical zombie apocalypse setting; and yes, the survival horror game play is not exactly new; but these points are missing what the game sets out to do. It sets out to be an immersive experience attempting to craft characters you want to care about. From the very beginning, the game succeeds in getting you emotionally invested. When Joel's daughter dies right in the beginning, you feel it right along with him and the feeling of loss never leaves through the game. It only intensifies as the game progresses and leaves you to question what both Joel's and Ellie's existence means to each other and because of that, you see how they both end up relying on each other to heal past emotional wounds. Essentially, their relationship becomes a reflection of Joel's father daughter relationship where Joel cares enough for Ellie to do anything to not lose her just so he doesn't have to lose his (figurative) daughter again.

The beauty of the this idea lies in the ending. All throughout the game, the theme of kill or be killed is hammered in. There is no true defining sense of what's morally right and all throughout the game all of your actions are justified: Ellie is the hope for civilization because she is immune. !!(Spoilers)!! But When Joel finds out Ellie will die from further research into her immunity, he endeavors to save her because he can't stand to lose his daughter again, despite the fact that her death may lead to the cure for humankind. This act of saving a life, usually a noble act, is turned into the biggest atrocity in the game. Bigger than the hunters who kill people for supplies and bigger than the clan of cannibals. Joel's selfish act may very well have sealed societies fate and thereby makes him the biggest monster the game has to offer. By growing with Joel you can understand his pains and why he did it. Ellie saved his life and he may feel he owes her that; but despite this, you have to feel disgusted and question whether his ultimate choice was right. Certainly these themes are not new; but regardless of that, they are presented extremely well.

The acting, the cut scenes and dialogue all are masterfully done. While the overall story and events sometimes can be predictable, this doesn't detract from the quality of how its told. Overall, the game play is tense because the balance of items and ammunition is perfect. I never felt I was in a situation where I was screwed on resources nor a situation where I had an abundance of resources. Because of this, I needed to plan on how to approach enemies just to survive without being screwing myself over. While the fighting was fun, a few non-fighting components got overused quickly. The palette ferry system for Ellie (she can't swim) got annoying after the second time it had to be done; there seemed to be no lack of conveniently placed portable ladders; and movable dumpsters for that matter. In addition to those tiresome mechanics, the maps, while beautiful and fun to explore, are entirely linear.

Overall, The Last Of Us is a clear example what a game is defined as now: interactive cinema. I'm not talking about quick time events; I'm talking about engrossing narrative cutscenes and a smart story intertwined with fantastic game play. This succeeds in both and sets the bar high for what a real game should contain.
  8. Mar 19, 2015
    The Last of Us is the greatest game to have ever been released, EVER. Within minutes the game tugs at your heart strings with a story that is one of the greatest to ever be told, EVER. The single player campaign is lengthy, but not diluted with filler. The Last of Us gives you the opportunity to play a tight third person shooter in a way that is tailored to how you want to play. YouThe Last of Us is the greatest game to have ever been released, EVER. Within minutes the game tugs at your heart strings with a story that is one of the greatest to ever be told, EVER. The single player campaign is lengthy, but not diluted with filler. The Last of Us gives you the opportunity to play a tight third person shooter in a way that is tailored to how you want to play. You can sneak around pretending to be Sam Fisher, or go in guns-a-blazin like Marcus Michael Fenix. If you own a Playstation 3 or a Playstation 4 and have not played this title, stop everything and go play this game. If you do not own a Playstation 3 or a Playstation 4, go buy one, and pick up a copy of The Last of Us, and play this game! Expand
  9. Mar 18, 2015
    A stunning and amazing game, yet I wish the trophies in the game were more easily obtainable, as well as the story, it's a little bit disappointing at times, but it completely makes up for that with every other element the game has to offer.
  10. Mar 17, 2015
    amazing game challenging yet fair. best linear story EVER! Multiplayer to me lacks though third person view in multiplayer breeds camping and the constant dlc for outfits and killing animations kind of sours the experience.
  11. Mar 6, 2015
    Love this game. Story and characters and acting is top notch. I believed and cared about them. I plan to play it again. I can't find a negative thing to say about it. Looking forward to the DLC.
  12. Mar 6, 2015
    the game filled with good stuff and overall looks great but when I look at the game as a whole I just dont like it.

maybe I just got too hyped and my anticipation were too high? or maybe I just got sick of all the other stealth apocalypse horror survival games? The game is full of beautiful cutsences. well, maybe there's too mcuh of those, which makes it feel like a long movie

maybe I just got too hyped and my anticipation were too high?

The game is full of beautiful cutsences. well, maybe there's too mcuh of those, which makes it feel like a long movie rather then a game.

It seems like they worn off uncharted to make it more stealth like but at the half way through decided to eventually drop this idea too.
    There are a lots of elements to the game like crafting and exploring, but neither of them feels satisfying or extraordinary.

5 is exactly in the middle of 0-10, and I could not describe it any better - its just an average game.
    I would even give it less, because of the problem with the too many cutsences, or the generacity of the story, but the fact thats its pretty polished and made with high quality im giving it extra points.
  13. Mar 6, 2015
    I punched a dude in the face using a brick.... I bought a playstasion 3 just for playing this game and I have to say it was worth it.. Although some things that happen are a bit predictable the overall story is amazing! I won't say anything else just play it!
  14. Mar 2, 2015
    Impressive story, very good gameplay, very good graphics and a legendary game. But I can say the A.I. is not that good and multiplayer mode is too unbalanced but I think no one plays this game for multiplayer.
  15. Feb 26, 2015
    Saying this game is perfect does not even do it justice. Never has a game effected me emotionally like this has before. Every main character you meet, you either fall in love with, or hate, and the voice acting couldn't be more perfect. This, for me, is the best game ever made.
  16. Feb 20, 2015
    The best PS3 exclusive. History, graphics, ambience, sound, characters, everything perfect. This game has a lot of love for many fans, empathy Joel and Ellie is best seen in video games in years, applause Naugthy Dog masterpiece.
  17. Feb 18, 2015
    this is got to be the best game i"v played.
    It so rocks in every way.
    I so in joy playing this game.thank to every one that help make this game come to be.
    Keep up the good work will be looking for more good work to come out of naughty dog.
    the men and women have doing a banging up job on this on.keep it up naughty dog.
    It gets 10 out 10 from this player.
  18. Feb 16, 2015
    Last of us is True Survivor Horror Game unlike Resident Evil 4 Resident Evil 5 Resident Evil 6 Resident Evil Revelations Resident Evil Revelations 2 Combine.
    If you liked Survivor Horror Game buy Last of us Digital or New Sealed not Soulless Used.

Please Avoid DLC otherthen Left Behind since Rest are Pay to Unlock aka On Disc DLC.
  19. Feb 16, 2015
    I'm not usually someone who gives out perfect scores to newer games but I feel that Naughty Dog deserve it for The Last of Us. It's the perfect last title to play on your PS3, with some unforgettable moments (the university level being my personal favorite), interesting gameplay mechanics, and truly impressive visuals for a PS3 exclusive. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves may still be my favoriteI'm not usually someone who gives out perfect scores to newer games but I feel that Naughty Dog deserve it for The Last of Us. It's the perfect last title to play on your PS3, with some unforgettable moments (the university level being my personal favorite), interesting gameplay mechanics, and truly impressive visuals for a PS3 exclusive. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves may still be my favorite PS3 game but The Last of Us is also something truly special -- one of those games that you just need to play all the way through to fully appreciate. Expand
  20. Feb 9, 2015
    A true masterpiece. This game checks all the boxes: gameplay is very convincing (as far as stealth games go), graphics and sounds are incredible, the story is very very well explained and dialogs are top-notch. A fantastic game that every PS3/PS4 owner must have.
  21. Feb 6, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great game and great storyline. Unfortunately, one of the programmers probably either quit or catched a flu so his 4 year old son had to take over.

Because i cant think of any other reason why they made a great game and screwed up badly at the restaurantfight with Ellie. Apparently they ran out of inspiration on how to create a decent and balanced "bossfight" and just decided "hey, since i cant be arsed to write a decent AI for this fight, so lets just give the boss unlimited ammo, a wallhack so he can see through walls and let him just run and move without being visible when Ellie is listening.
    I played this part of the game several times to test and no matter where you hide, that guy just "by coincidence" knows exactly where you are and no matter where in the restaurant he is, he walks straight towards your hiding place.

It makes playing this part of the game as joyfull as playing COD with several wallhackers/aimbots.

Too bad because the rest of the game is very good and addictive (except from a few rediculous glitches that is)
  22. Jan 29, 2015
    Quite possibly the greatest game ever made, the story mode alone makes this game a 10, from its characters, the amazing storytelling to the spectacular gameplay mechanics and well made cutscenes, the only problem with the game is the AI, other than that the game is perfect.
  23. Jan 26, 2015
    What can I say that no one else has said, great unique gameplay, a variety of engaging, well developed characters and an out of this world narrative. The online for this was great and it is just a marvel all the way for gaming, I just loved this game.
  24. Jan 22, 2015
    After watching AngryJoes video review of this , I though (well,ok,TIME TO GO TO GAMESTOP!) . Moments later,I got the game out of the case and placed it inside the DVD-ROM of my Playstation 3. And "OH MY GOD" , this game is absolutely MIND-BLOWING! Just the characters and how well acted they are is already a worthy 5! But that's just the characters,how 'bout the story you ask? It's theAfter watching AngryJoes video review of this , I though (well,ok,TIME TO GO TO GAMESTOP!) . Moments later,I got the game out of the case and placed it inside the DVD-ROM of my Playstation 3. And "OH MY GOD" , this game is absolutely MIND-BLOWING! Just the characters and how well acted they are is already a worthy 5! But that's just the characters,how 'bout the story you ask? It's the final icing to the cake on this one! It's the one thing that gives this game all the praise from the CRITICS and the FANS! Oh and the gameplay , gameplay is so amazing , may yet be the BEST 3RD-PERSON SHOOTER EVER MADE . So with all that said,the game,of course also has atleast a bit of faults. In this case,the only fault of this game is it's ending . And it ended up giving me the "MEH" kind of feeling in top tier games like this. If that really was the ending of this game,then I HOPE that "The Last of Us 2" will just be as a MASTERPIECE as this one! Don't fail the sequel! Oh DEAR GOD PLEASE!

But will all that said,this game deserves the highest rating I could possibly give. A 10/10
    No Doubt,XBOX Fanboys and girls,just try not to wage war on us (Sony Fans) because we praise this game. It's just because it's that amazing and its that of a MASTERPIECE! GO GET A PS3 OR PS4!
  25. Jan 21, 2015
    I gotta say, I played this expecting it to be really good. Heard it was great so I got in in mid summer 2014. I loved the games story, though I was frustrated the first time playing but I was still learning so I can't complain. The replay of the video games story is wonderful, graphics are great. The multiplayer is fun and it's just a great adventure overall. People complain about howI gotta say, I played this expecting it to be really good. Heard it was great so I got in in mid summer 2014. I loved the games story, though I was frustrated the first time playing but I was still learning so I can't complain. The replay of the video games story is wonderful, graphics are great. The multiplayer is fun and it's just a great adventure overall. People complain about how games are becoming more like a movie, though isn't that a good thing? Look at the Resident Evil movies, nobody liked them but the stories in the video games aren't great either. I am happy that this video game is having an official movie and no doubt it will be great as well. Expand
  26. Jan 21, 2015
    A masterpiece. Naughty dog had a lot of expectations and they did not fail to deliver them. The creators of the critically acclaimed one of the best game trilogies of all time "Uncharted" Came back with a boom. The game set the tone early and you were hooked instantly. Great character development, Beautiful scenery, outstanding dialogue, and a compelling story.
  27. Jan 19, 2015
    Where do I start....Graphics A+, Sound A+, Story A+, Missions A+

Did not feel like I was playing the game on a last gen console. Never for a second felt boring or took my attention away...
  28. Jan 19, 2015
    this game is easily not only my ps3 game of all time it was also my game of the year of 2013 if anyone has a ps3 or a ps4 play this game you will not regret it
  29. Jan 18, 2015
    The game would be perfect, if it had more diversity in its story, so as to give it more replay value.

Other than that, the game also has a fantastic multiplayer, IMO, that kept me coming back for all those years since the game released.
  30. Jan 16, 2015
    By far the best game I have ever played graphics are stunning story is amazing I love how you have to scavenge for everything it is very realistic fighting is great some of the zombies really spook me when they pop out of nowhere the gameplay is so smooth. AMAZING GAME

1. Sep 16, 2013
  2. Sep 10, 2013
  3. Despite the breakneck pace of the prologue, it takes quite a while for The Last of Us to pick up some speed again. However, once the cold harsh winter arrives, the action (and story) ramps up. So much so, it puts most Hollywood productions to shame. [July 2013, p.76]