8.2

1. May 28, 2014
    While I give Unfinished swan credit for being something refreshingly different, it also seems to rub that point in a bit too much. The game seems to be trying too hard to be artsy to the point that you are not sure if you should be playing with it or just looking at it..

But, once the novelty wears off, the game does feel a bit barren and very basic. The art style is pretty, and the
    story cute, kind of like a kids story book. But, like kid's storybook it gets a little dull after a while.

Overall:
    Unfinished Swan is clearly a milestone in gaming opening up many future possibilities, but it is also just the beginning and requires a bit more substance to make it more than it is.
  2. Jan 28, 2013
    The Unfinished swan had plenty of potential and after Journey, big things were expected of it. Unfortunately, The Unfinished swan is too pompous. It's like a videogame art snob waving it's arms around and crying "Look at me! I'm an artistic masterwork!" Whilst it doe gets kudos for presenting an interesting idea and a nice visual aesthetic, it ultimately fails because it's gameplay is duller than dishwater. Do not be fooled. This is not a worthy successor to Journey. Expand
  3. Jan 12, 2013
    A wonderfully executed concept. I really enjoyed it, but right when it started getting interested, it ended. Also, it seemed like they could have fleshed out the game more. It feels a bit empty. I would love to see more experiences like these if they were fully fleshed out. Bottom Line = Beautifully designed, charming, and simple, but too short and feels too empty.
  4. Dec 18, 2013
    Fun at first but when the world start getting more color the fun is gone. The good thing about this game was to start in an empty white room devoid of color and finding your way in it. After that it's all downhill.
  5. Jan 20, 2013
    The Unfinished Swan (TUS), what is it? The game starts off with a blank screen. I thought the game had frozen and tried all the buttons. I fired an ink ball. Black on white, but what more? It's after hitting a corner that I understood. From this first-person view, the goal is simply to advance. I hereby introduces you the first Mirror's Edge like in history!

Unlike its model, TUS is
    more about thinking than running. The title is full of crazy and innovative puzzles (creating platforms, use of light to progress...). It also benefits from an amazing art direction with unique and beautiful sceneries like the one above. The story is entertaining as well, almost moving, and reinforces the mysterious and fascinating aura that springs from TUS.

True, it's quite short and the controls are a pain sometimes. But it does have a few challenges that add to the overall value for completionists. And think about it : you enter a paint shop and see a masterpiece at 7
  6. Aug 29, 2014
    This was an okay game I guess. The idea looked interesting and the story, when presented, sounded wonderful and like something I'd definitely want to play and would be interested in. So, just to be sure, I got the demo and I'm glad I did.

Despite how wonderful the game sounded the camera movement was disorienting and confusing, not intuitive at all and the actual character movement was
    just as bad. I will grant it the graphics were decent (nothing compared to Journey as everyone says, I'd much rather look and listen to Journey) but the music was completely forgettable and what can be remembered is only how bad it was.

To be perfectly honest, the game play is slow and gets boring rather quickly. There is only so much ink you can splatter around before you're just bored and things get sort of frustrating because if you don't splatter it with ink you can't see it... and that's just sort of lame. BUT that's the whole game it seems... there are worse games because this is at least bearable but it's still just.... boring.... really boring...
  7. Jan 22, 2013
    Once I figured out how to get out of the first room, the game was excellent. Lovely style, wonderful puzzles, engaging storytelling-- an extremely unique game. Highly recommended for Portal fans or for anyone interested in the First-person puzzle genre.
  8. Oct 24, 2012
    Unfinished swan is representative of its own theme
  9. Oct 25, 2012
    Very interesting game. It brings to mind games like Braid, Limbo, Flower, and Journey due to it's unique style. The whole storybook within a game is one thing, but the whole thing early on with throwing the paint to figure out where you are going, using the water later on, this is a game that is totally unique from top to bottom. Not only is it unique, but it is a lot of fun as well. The simple mechanics make it a game that doesn't require anything really to get you started. The visuals are stunning, and the game is really just plain fun.

The only negatives are that I felt like it could have been more, and I hope that there is more that we see from it, a more intricate sequel or something. Also, it was very short. Then again, as someone who is kind of uptight about the space on their PS3, I kind of appreciate the smaller size of about 1.5 gigs because of that. The positives outweigh the negatives by a massive margin.

Anyone who can respect art and creativity should be able to enjoy this game.
  10. Oct 23, 2012
    This is the most intuitive unique game that's come out since Journey. You're in an all white space and to figure out where you can go you have to throw paint randomly out there until stairs, hallway, etc are revealed. It's a blast figuring out these puzzles. I recommend this to anyone who likes fun.
  11. Apr 23, 2013
    The Unfinished Swan is a storybook. It’s the story read to you by your mother that, upon hearing, brings you back to the simpler time of childhood. It cradles you and the surrounding world is revealed by painting it yourself. It’s a quick game and for that it’s been knocked, but any longer and the magic would be ruined. It’s a bedtime story that knows exactly how it should be told and when it should end. Expand
  12. Jan 10, 2013
    One of the greatest downloadable games of all time, imo. The graphics and art style are impossibly amazing. The gameplay is so simple but so clever, puzzling, creative and dynamic. The gameplay constantly changes drastically from chapter to chapter (maybe too quickly: just as you get used to a mechanic it changes). The music is some of the best out there, as well. Wonderful! The only gripe is that the game ends kinds when you dont expect it; and the white-canvas levels are scarce. Buy it now. Thank me later. Expand
  13. Oct 25, 2012
    Whoever mentions Call Of Duty in their review of this game is a stupid idiot with a narror minded single idea about what video games are.
    This a beautiful living, breathing comic book story, that thrusts players into the mind of a lost child searchingfor who he is and where he came from. Yes it is short, and sometimes it stumbles in it's execution, but all gamers should sample the short
    but sweet story on offer here Expand
  14. Feb 8, 2013
    Wow, wow, wow!! I like original games like I like original movies and music. I don't like seeing always the same thing over and over again, and man, this game was original! Never seen anything like it. Beautifu game too.
  15. Oct 23, 2012
    It is good but the graphics are lacking compared to modern fps games like Call of Duty. Puzzles are not really a nice thing in fps games, but this game did them ok.
  16. Mar 8, 2013
    I reckon the idea is really creative and original, but I felt sick after 3 or 4 hours of playing. You need to keep moving the camera around, and everything is 2-colors, I think that's the main reason for the dizziness. So I can't say I enjoyed too much.
  17. Nov 6, 2012
    A good but not great game. It has some very creative ideas but it doesn't do alot with them.The story has some charm but it doesn't really go anywhere. It can be very pretty sometimes and it it's very unique but it just seemed to be missing that extra something that would have made it great. It's also over before you know it without that much reason to go back. Not a bad game but I would have felt much better paying $10 or less for it. Expand
  18. Nov 5, 2012
    The Unfinished Swan is an astonishing game full of wonder and enjoyment. It's the best time I've had with a game all year and one of the most memorable. The story is Captivating and keeps you playing. Nothing about it is difficult. It is more for someone just looking to have a good time. I recommend this to everyone. It is about 2 to 3 hours depending on how you play but that doesn't detract from the game at all. Expand
  19. Oct 23, 2012
    This game has a lovely graphic style, nice music and really cool gameplay. It's hard to describe unless you see it but if you liked Journey or Flower, you'll probably like this game.
  20. Apr 28, 2013
    Este juego me hizo recordar que sigo siendo un ñiño en mi interior.Con una historia simple que asemeja a un cuento de antaño,lo cual es muy bueno por que da la sensación de estar leyendo un cuento,pero sigue siendo un juego claro,un gameplay que no deja de sorprender en ningún condenado momento,esta es una aventura que no te debes perder.
  21. Aug 2, 2013
    The Backlog 2: The Unfinished Swan.

Developed by indie team and Sony protégés’ Giant Sparrow, The Unfinished swan is a surreal, often beautiful but ultimately flat journey into the mind of a studio bound for greatness.

Grown from a 2008 tech demo The Unfinished swan places the player in control of a young boy named Monroe who is on a quest to find an unfinished image of a swan as it
    mysteriously vanishes from a painting.
Monroe is thrust into the world of the painting leading him into an adventure across a kingdom uncompleted by a king at odds with his subjects. While entirely devoid of people the kingdom is rich with environments and mechanics to help Monroe find the secrets of this unfinished world, the world that ultimately stays strong as the only compelling part in the game.

While some games struggle to keep momentum leading up to a crescendo ending, Giant Sparrows debut suffers from the opposite with the very opening being by far the most compelling. Dropping you into a completely blank world you are told nothing, the stunning sound design builds an environment around the empty space you inhabit. It is with that first splash of paint, revealing part of the space, that this game grabs you. I felt immediately amazed by the concept of a blank world revealed by the user throwing paint. The feeling of mystery and exploration is fantastic and the environments pop with stunning beauty as they are stricken with scattered explosions of black. I really felt the true beauty of this game when looking back from the top of a staircase, over the world I had unveiled. The splashes illuminating a world I didn't know existed gave a feeling of exploration and discovery that was wholly natural.

Unfortunately this does not last forever, as the game progress’ the controls are more frequently taken away from you in a manner that I felt was jarring and took me completely away from the experience. The world begins to be pre-colored and you are asked to use water to encourage the growth of vines to climb in a manner that feels like you are working your way through a puzzle, not exploring a vast mysterious kingdom.
    Driven by the lackluster story, you move through a couple of differing environments, all with their own little nuances that fall flat making you feel nostalgic toward the once innocent exploration of the first level.
    With a disappointing ending and numerous immersion breaking moments the story becomes empty and meaningless with myself feeling like I didn't really care about Monroe by the end in the same way that I did for the little boy in Limbo or the robed figure in Journey, two games that excelled at dumping you into a world to find the story, instead of being pushed through it.

The Unfinished Swan is definitely an attractive game with beautiful moments being offset by a middle riddled with a poor, Mirrors Edge looking city that isn't particularly pleasing to the eye. This coupled with frame rate issues when climbing vines or complex environments, and strange controls when interacting with climbable surfaces leads to a thoroughly disappointing game for a studio admittedly in its infancy. While a bit of a let down, The Unfinished Swan shows great potential for the studio and at this point I have to ask myself, with a 3 game deal similar to That Game Companys’ trilogy of Flow, Flower and Journey, if this is Giant Sparrows Flow, I cannot wait for their journey.
  22. Dec 5, 2012
    I'll just say I had a goofy grin on my face the whole time I played this. I felt like each of the main ideas was more creative and fun than many entire games I've played. I'm now on my third time through, enjoying all of the fun bonuses. I also love having people check it out when they come over... I just really enjoy watching that reaction when they first figure out the opening moments of the game. Strongly recommended! Expand
  23. Oct 28, 2012
    The Unfinished Swan is a beautiful game in which a boy named Monrue (can't spell his name) takes only one of his mothers unfinished paintings when he goes to the orphanage. he then takes on a journey in which he runs around a world throwing paint balls to find his way around. You collect balloons to get extra "toys" (hose, sniper rifle, etc.) Graphically the game is great. the controls are very simple, and there is almost nothing to com pain about, else then it is pretty short, but is a download game so it makes sense. overall I give this game a nine out of 10. Expand
  24. Jan 20, 2013

Unlike its model, TUS is

1. Aug 23, 2013
    The Unfinished Swan is a creative experiment that’s worth a play, even if some aspects feel incomplete.
  2. Dec 10, 2012
    The Unfinished Swan is a beautifully crafted, unconventional, sophisticated and provocative game denying the gameplay stereotype by a constant surprising of a gamer. The game is resisting to deplete all of its interesting themes in quite possibly the most annoying way - it ends itself in the middle of the road, at the place where the gamer is willing to submit to it completely.
  3. Dec 4, 2012
    The Unfinished Swan isn't without its charms, and there were moments in the abandoned city, with the vines overgrowing walls and bridges in all directions, that I almost loved it. However, in its very short runtime The Unfinished Swan introduces too many different ideas and doesn't sufficiently explore or refine any of them-not even the bad ones. That might suit the theme, but it makes for a game that feels frustratingly incomplete.