8.7

1. Dec 12, 2012
    For 30 years, games have been held back by the idea that 'fun' is a defining factor. Sure, I love fun, and it is one of the most powerful ways to engross a player, but imagine if all films fit under the category of fun? We wouldn't have films like Schindler's List, Hurt Locker, Apocalypse Now, and the Godfather. Our medium has never had our own Citizen Kane, or it's own Godfather. Until now. If Spec Ops: The Line was the Apocalypse now of gaming, and Skyrim is the Lord of the Rings, The Walking Dead is the Dead Alive, and even that isn't doing it justice, as Dead Alive is the best zombie film ever. Look past the glitches, and we have a near perfect game. The puzzles are tricky and take a fair bit of though, the art style is the best use of cell-shading I've seen, the characters are well-written and have arcs, its atmosphere is very tense, and you have the urge to play it to the very end once you've picked it up. The episodes themselves were quite short, 3 hours at best, but the retail release actually makes it seem like one coherent game, instead of playing parts of a game months apart. Actions have consequences. The littlest choice has the hugest effect at the end of your game. Talk to another person who played this game and, most likely, his outcome would of been entirely different. All of this makes the Walking Dead compulsively playable, but not fun. It's not about the thrills of killing zombies, this game focuses on the realtionships between characters in a zombie apocalypse scenario, and makes you see how ordinary people can get along (and indeed fall out) in this scenario. Play it because you like Telltale, play it because you love zombies, play it because you love point and click adventure games, play it because you love substantial choice in games, play it because it's cheap, play it because you're sick of Halo, the bottom line remains the same: DO NOT MISS THE WALKING DEAD. Expand
  2. Dec 12, 2012
    One of the best stories in a game, makes you feel for the characters and regret your hard decisions even though you know in your heart it was the right choice.

Speaking of the right choice, the right choice is to buy this now!
  3. Dec 11, 2012
    Video games are art, or are they? This is a question that has been floating around the industry for years but has never truly been taken serious until this generation of gaming. In many ways it really comes down to how grounded your opinion of art is. Is art free form to you? Is it something that can only be achieved via deep principals, or is it simply anything and everything that is created as a form of expression? While I am not going to further this argument with this review, I will say this. If video games have the ability to be art simply through story telling and tapping at the spine of our emotions then Telltale Expand
  4. Dec 13, 2012
    Storytelling in gaming at it's finest. Every episode is engaging right from the start of Episode 1 to the climatic ending of Episode 5. You mold the story based on your choices. There isn't much to talk about the game, all I can say is go and buy it because I know for a fact that you will not be disappointed.
  5. Feb 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Tell Tale have crafted a masterpiece with their rendition of TWD, the game is full of difficult choices and ways to express the characters vulnerability. The relationship between 37 year old convicted killer Lee Everett and 8 year old Clementine is the selling point of this game. The walking dead is good at drawing emotion from the player through any means necessary, whether its by killing characters off unexpectedly, making us choose who dies or by unthinkable events, (such as having to kill a child)
    The ending leaves many a person crying and distraught, showing the games ability to draw emotions from the audience. My GOTY 2012. All in all, Tell Tale have struck video game gold.
  6. Dec 14, 2012
    This game is a must have. It
  7. Feb 27, 2013
    In all of the years that I played video games, I've never come across a game like Telltale's "The Walking Dead".
    I've never felt the emotion of when a friendly character dies in any other video game I have ever played.
    And while it is true that there is not much gameplay, the story makes up for it as you change the future of yourself and every character around you with every choice you
    make, or sometimes even saying a particular sentence.
    The guy you play as is a very likeable and charismatic character, as are the rest of the people you'll meet along the way. And while some characters aren't nice to you, you'll never know what happens to them or yourself next.
    Play it, and love it.
  8. Feb 16, 2013
    An amazing game with good storytelling and emotional impact. This game is a must-have, it has depth and tension. You owe it to yourself to play this game. It is absolutely a masterpiece.
  9. Dec 31, 2012
    This is definitely one of the greatest games I've ever played. It's very possibly that you might crawl up into a fetal position and sob if you play this game, but still a great game. I gave it a nine though because the amount of language is overkill, otherwise awesome game.
  10. Apr 21, 2013
    I read a review from a member saying the storyline is linear, I laughed and i must say it is anything but! you make choices which can impact the next 3 episodes of the game, even small things like if you swear infront of a kid, 2 episodes later the kid will swear because you swore! and if you choose not to, it doesnt.
    It is so emotional and gripping, but i can assure you as an 18 year old
    guy I did definitly not cry............ okay, i did Expand
  11. Dec 28, 2012
    Just a heads up I have played all 5 episodes of The Walking Dead, but I downloaded them off of Playstation Network, so this isn't a review of this disc set, it's a review of what I think of all 5 episodes as a whole and the score you see is an average of the score I gave to each individual episode. To learn more about each episode individually please read my reviews of them. Telltale Games has created a masterpiece, it's emotional, intense, dark, and an excellent addition to the Walking Dead universe. In this game your tasked with two things, protecting a little girl and making decisions that will effect every step of your journey until the credits roll and your adventure ends. The story is excellently written and ties in perfectly with the comic book universe. It's filled with moments that will stick with you long after you've played it and characters you care about. The only complaint I really have with the game are it's technical issues. The Walking Dead: A Telltale Games Series is one the best games of the year and if you haven't played it yet you really need to. It's nothing less than a true masterpiece. Expand
  12. Jan 30, 2013
    This game is one of the most immersive I have ever had the privilege to play. Although it doesn't feature revolutionary technology and graphics, the most appealing factor is the story and the characters. Presented to us in the form of a TV show with consistent episode releases, The Walking Dead is so cleverly written and performed by voice actors that you become so attached to the characters. You begin to care so much that you are very often given a choice that will affect who lives and who dies, which is the closest to being in control that a gamer could ever be. I fell in love with the characters and story, with so many twists and turns, and I didn't want the experience to end. The level of choice and interaction with the game is splendid, giving a new perspective to point-and-click games. This game is a benchmark in gaming and deserves to become an inspiration to others in the industry. Expand
  13. Mar 20, 2013
    this game may not be another call of duty shoot em up but it does have so much emotion and mind boggling choices that make you look at your inner self. i cannot wait for season two. this also comes in number 2 for games of 2012 for me
  14. Mar 22, 2013
    What is there to say about this game, that hasn't already been said? The story telling is top notch, one of the best tales all of gaming has to offer. Never before have I been so involved and cared so much about the characters in a story in this medium, or any other before it. The gameplay is equally compelling. Point and click fans will no doubt love it, and even my friends who are normally all about action and multiplayer can't help but love it. There is more then enough action, even if it is normally displayed as a QTE or quick time event, to keep you on your toes. You'll never know when something may pop out and attack, and you'll need to fight your way out of an awful situation. Honestly, if you haven't played this game yet, do it. It's as necessary a foot note in the story telling of video games as the great classics of film. Expand
  15. Mar 11, 2013
    TWD is a awesome game! Telltale make me care with characters, the choice system is fantastic by delivery a sense of urgency with its time count bar, that by all means make you have to do hard choices in a little time, this make the tension grows as it would in a real life emergency context. The plot is rich and the characters too, both becoming meaningful by the length of the game to the point that your choices consequences really make you regret some of your actions in a way that other games can't make you feel, I bet that the reviewers that gave notes like ZERO would prefer to play Call of Duty or other brainless game. Expand
  16. Mar 21, 2013
    When i first heard of this game, it perked my ears but i was hesitant because of Telltale Games. They have been a bit sloppy in their past few games, Back to the Future was good but Jurassic Park was terrible. Once i played The Walking Dead though, all my fears were not just dropped, they were crushed. The game plays out like its own TV series, with 5 episodes that chronicle the events that occur around Lee, a convicted criminal that is thrust into the zombie apocalypse with a little girl named Clementine. From there, you meet many different characters and different settings, each with their own challenges and events that mold your own experience with The Walking Dead. The story is the forefront of this game, characters you meet and interact with make you grow. You decision at what to tell each person effects everything from there on. Talking is its own gameplay challenge. You have 2-4 different choices when you talk to others with a very limited time to answer, some much faster than others according to the situation. This creates a built tension that carries throughout each episode, and it all comes together at the end in the most satisfying way I can image. That said, this is NOT a perfect experience the whole way. The game is quite glitchy, and starting a new episode usually has a slow start as the game tries to get all the information from the last episode. Since this is the zombie apocalypse, you will have encounters against the undead. Fighting them off needs quick button pressing, which actually works just fine with the rest of the game, but its not perfect. Overall, The Walking Dead is easily Telltales best game by far. Its cheap, each episode only lasts long enough to keep your attention long enough till its over and you want to get to the next episode, but for the best experience you should wait a few days till the next episode, makes it feel like the real show. Expand
  17. Jan 13, 2014
    Captures the essence of The Walking Dead Comic Book perfectly!

This game is truly a masterpiece. The Walking Dead has fantastic gameplay that relies on the player choices moreso than anything else and the game benefits from this as there are many heart-pounding sections that require quick thinking or else the Zombies kill one of your extremeley likeable comrades!

These characters are
    even better written than they are in the TV Show and engage the player into their unique back stories that are inextricably linked to the present events. Everything feels right; not a single objective in the game seems pointless. Character development here is one of the best in this medium as each character goes through their own grim, adult and realistic arcs that are very intriguing - It sucks you in right from the get-go.

The graphics are perfect! Brings the comic books to life better than anything else (I really wish the TV Series followed up on this style as it actually resembles the source material.)

Overall, a true modern masterpiece and a perfect representation of The Walking Dead by Telltale Games. The Zombie genre has never been better!
  18. May 17, 2013
    Telltale's The Walking Dead is a poor 'game' but an excellent experience. The plot, dialogue and characterizations are currently unparalleled within gaming. These characters live and breath just as much as the ones on the HBO TV series. The choices that you make in the game feel really profound and you find yourself fretting over almost every one. There is literally nothing negative to say about The Walking Dead as a story telling tool. It's awesome. Likewise, the graphics and sound do their job perfectly. Particularly impressive are the facial animations, which along with the phenomenal voice acting, really help to immerse the player in the game's world. The only time The Walking Dead hits rocky territory is when it turns back into a 'game'. The controls during the action scenes are quite clumsy and can lead to frustration, especially when you have to repeatedly replay sections. That totally yanks me out of the world and spoils parts of the game for me. Nether-the-less, The Walking Dead is a harrowing, intense and unforgettable ride. Do not miss it. Expand
  19. Dec 31, 2012
    When I first heard that this game had won Game of the Year I though that was supposed to be a joke; I mean, in a year with Borderlands 2, Assassins Creed 3, XCOM, Resident Evil 6, Journey and so many fantastic games I must say I was very skeptical about The Walking Dead the Game. But then... I PLAYED it. And I must agree. The Walking Dead IS THE GAMING EXPERIENCE of 2012. Never before have I ever experienced such an intense game. I didn't play it - it PLAYED me. My fears, my adrenaline, my remorse, guilt, doubt. It got me constantly thinking about my steps and decisions and really worrying about the people around me. It reminded me of Heavy Rain, some how, but it went further; it took more risks. The Walking Dead The Game is not afraid of chocking or disturbing. Believe me: IT'S ALL THERE. This game must not be missed. Expand
  20. May 22, 2013
    The walking dead:A Telltale Games series has to be by far one of the best games I have ever played in my lifetime. This is not your typical zombie first person shooter, nor is it a game set on stunning graphics to impress the gamer. But what set's this game apart from any other game is the brilliant story where every decision you make has a different outcome and has it's own consciousnesses. Telltale games did a brilliant job who carers about the graphics not being top notch because at the end of the day it is the story that will really keep you hooked till the very very end. Expand
  21. Jan 28, 2013
    Anyone who doesn't view Telltale's The Walking Dead as a masterpiece doesn't have a good taste in games. After a frustrating experience with AMC's The Walking Dead television adaptation, I was surprised to see that Telltale was able to capture the gruesome dark horror of Kirkman's comic, with some amazing new characters and stories. A must play.
  22. Mar 20, 2013
    A game unlike any other I've ever played! It has amazingly simple gameplay, a top-notch storyline, and some of the best characters you will ever see in gaming. The best part about the game is that my story will be different from anybody else's. The possibilities about how your tale will unfold are endless. My hat's off to Telltale!
  23. Jan 29, 2013
    Definitely an unique experience in the gaming realm. Often times great story telling is hindered in games by gameplay, especially of the RPG grind variety. That is of course assuming a great story is even in a game or if it is simply getting by on gameplay.

The Walking Dead moves fast and the story never lets up. While one would assume it would be more like a traditional puzzle
    adventure game it does not play that way. The narrative is not slowed down. Like another great game this year, 'Journey' the story and feelings invoked stay with you long after the game is finished.

I find it odd that Heavy Rain is often compared to this. I gave HR two hours, but it never really got past monotony. There could have been a good story, but no one I knew ever got to it. The Walking Dead does not require investment time before it gets good, it simply is good from start to finish.

Few games I would describe as a must play for a gamer. This one is a must play.
  24. Jan 6, 2013
    Sometimes, the game doesn't run that smoothly, and the "point-and-click" gameplay is nothing to write home about. However, the game looks pretty good and the story (oh, the story...) is absolutely one of the best you'll find in video games. I highly recommend this game.
  25. Jan 21, 2013
    It's riveting stuff. Emotionally powerful and breathlessly suspenseful, it does what all the best games out there do: it leaves you wanting more. In a great, great way.
  26. Feb 5, 2013
    Awesome Story, not so great gameplay. Better than watching the AMC series, the game has nice character development and alternative choices that impact on the game.
  27. Feb 22, 2013
    Exceptional. For a game to redefine the way I feel about games after I've seen so much is amazing. To do it through what is essentially such a simple interface system is astonishing. Never before have I felt so engrossed in a storyline in a game, so bothered about the characters. We may have had a poor year in general for games but with this and Farcry 3 we have been spoilt with two true masterpieces. An absolute essential purchase. Expand
  28. Mar 21, 2013
    One of the best games I have ever played, I've never even read the Walking Dead comics or seen the show, but this game really makes me want to. I wish there could be more games like this that focus on story and characterisation, as opposed to the bland shooters that seem to be coming out every year.
  29. Apr 16, 2013
    Let me make one thing clear I am not a fan of the zombie genre in general. But I took a chance on this one, and good lord, this game is incredible. I don't think I've found a game yet that matches this level of character development. I felt closer to these characters in just a few hours than I've felt to ones I've played/watched several dozens of hours with. It made my laugh out loud and, yeah, it made me cry.

Get it. You won't be disappointed if you have an ounce of empathy.
  30. Apr 23, 2013
    Clementine. I could end any article on that name and all who have played the game would nod in agreement. I can start off by telling you that I have never cried while playing a video game before and I was tearing up, fighting the tears back during the last few moments of the season. I’m even feeling a bit choked up now, this proof of a tale being told correctly.
    You can forget about its
    solid gameplay, intelligent artistic direction that appeals to both the comic book and television show lovers, and even the phenomenal voice acting that drives the belief home. This game centers around characters; your relationships.
    Originally, I was enticed simply by this awesomely immersive universe of a zombie-ridden planet, but in the end I was wholly invested in being this little girl’s guardian and I’d be damned if anything happened to Clementine. It’s raw emotion. TellTale grabs you and drags you through the muck of anxiety, depression and helplessness, and you’ll love it. This episodic ends with your head in your hands and only leaves you wanting more.
    Honestly, if you haven’t played this game, I don’t care if zombies aren’t your thing or whatever horrible excuse you have for not playing this yet is, go pick up this game. And Journey, but this first.
  31. Apr 25, 2013
    The walking dead will forever be one of my favorite games of all time. It goes away from shooter games and goes for the old fashioned style of games. It is a linear point and click game that is very entertaining for many reasons. First the game has a superb graphic style, following after the comic books. Second, there are a lot of memorable characters and likable at that, many games fail to make characters likable but this game succeeds in making them relatable and liked by us all. Last the game has a choice consequence sort of style, that the choices you make effects what happened later. Overall this is a great game with a good story, characters, and style...sadly the game is quite short and there a few glitches..it can easily be excused. Expand
  32. Apr 29, 2013
    What games should be like. The walking dead series by Telltale games is best serie and one of the best games i have ever played. This game makes you sad, happy even angry on some points. Dialogues are very good and voice acting is also great.
    The decisions you have to make were hard to make and they came so fast in front of you. Afterwards i had sometimes feeling i chose wrong and it made
    me feel bad. Lets not forget the happiness of saving others and helping them and the reunions. Relationship of the main character lee and a little girl clementine is sad, cute and interesting. Lets not forget the gruesome part of the farm. It made me sometimes thinking "jesus this is heavy S***" Though it happened some sad parts too and those made me almost cry (like the ending)
    This game is not for everyone though. This is for mature only because of the variety of feelings and contents.
    Shortly said this is best game ever. Best feeling ever when game makes you feel like this. Everyone mature enough should buy this game.
  33. May 21, 2013
    After buying the season pass for this game, I didn't know what to expect, especially after playing telltale's awful back to the future series. However after only 5 minutes of playing the first episode, I knew that this game would be well worth the money. With relatable characters and an amazing storyline that had me almost in tears, especially at the end, I found myself in Lee's shoes feeling the weight upon his shoulders. I felt a personal responsibility for Clementine and I felt as if it were me who had survived the zombie apocalypse, 10/10, excellent game. Telltale really pulled out all the stops. Expand
  34. Jan 17, 2014
    I've always been a pretty big gamer but this was one of the first games (alongside Heavy Rain) to turn story telling into an actually like-able and fun game! Don't bother trying to hold back tears, we're all grownups here. No judging.
  35. Jun 27, 2014
    The Walking Dead gathers everything from entertainment & emotion. It had its ups and downs and maybe the time limit bothered me every now and then, but the role-playing elements keeps your attention towards the screen. One of the most unique games I've ever played. Thank you Telltale Games.
  36. Aug 23, 2013
    Game of the Year for 2012 indeed. Addicting gameplay with some realistic violence. It both shocked and compelled me. The voice acting, choices and everything else is great.
  37. Oct 19, 2013
    This game will tear out your heart, eat your soul and devour your feelings. And I didn't mind AT ALL because this game is probably one of the best games out there. There is almost nothing to like about this game because you can feel how passionate the storytellers and game makers are when you play it. You become invested in the characters and the story and you will cling on for dear life right up to the fantastic and shocking finale! Expand
  38. Apr 5, 2014
    Story: 9.5 out of 10 Graphics: 8 out of 10 Gameplay: 8 out of 10 Fun: 8.5 out of 10 Controls: 8.5 out of 10 Ease to Learn: 8 out of 10
    Length: 8 out of 10
    Re-play: 7 out of 10
    Audio: 8 out of 10
    Bugs/Glitches: some
  39. Nov 10, 2013
    Telltale's The Walking Dead (TWD) is an emotional experience like no other and a breath of fresh air in the industry. It's an adult experience that will leave you with tears in your eyes in some parts.
    STORY AND CHARACTERS: This is where the game shines. It starts with a slow pace which is kept throughout the game. This slow pace gives you the opportunity to develop your thoughts and
    feelings about the characters which is exactly what Telltale wants so that you feel the sense of loss when you're forced to make (tough) decisions. Genius!
    PRESENTATION: Phenomenal! The sets are beautiful with the cell shading. Music is never played too loud so that you can stay immersed on the post-apocalyptic world that you're in.
    GAMEPLAY: My major issue with the game. Although it served me throughout the game and never ruined my experience the controls are a bit clumsy and fail many times especially in the action sequences. Not that there are many but it's kind of annoying to try and make an action and it doesn't respond.
    TWD is an emotional ride that will blow you away. And if you're a fan of the TV show like me it will let you prolong the experience in a different story arc.
  40. Jul 2, 2014
    I'm a big fan of open-world, make-your-own story kind of games, but there is something to be said for linear gameplay that is still varied enough through your impactful choices to make differences later on in the game. Particularly when those decisions are as weighty and important as the ones that this game constantly presents. The characters and personalities are varied and wonderful, with excellent voice acting that adds to the depth and reality of each. Excellent plot and storytelling, in my opinion. While I wish there were more things you could do other than walk around, point and click, and occasionally make the aforementioned heavy decisions, this game still proves to be highly entertaining and intriguing.

Looking forward to playing Season 2 once all the episodes are completed.
  41. Jan 19, 2014
    At first, I have never heard "The Walking Dead" until the end. When I go to IGN every day, I saw the review of Episode 5 and give this game a 9.5 out of 10. I was like this episode seem special. I began to play "The Walking Dead" for the first time and bought a Season Pass of Full Episodes.

Started Episode 1. Finished it... For me, it's interesting and wanna play more. There I met those
    characters, Lee and Clem. Both of them are great and wanna to learn more about them. Especially Clem.

From beginning to the end... (Man... The ending), it's damn sad. First time of my gaming life, I cried. I though episode had nothing special, but prove wrong. It is special. For me, I never cried in gaming until this game, gives me sadness. I said nothing. All quiet. and just turn off the game, and just walked out of the house and think about the music and lots of thoughts about Lee and Clem.

The point is as the bottom line... Buy it. STRONGLY RECOMMENDED!!!
  42. Jul 11, 2013
    Now this is what a Walking Dead game should be! This game has everything that Survival Instinct sorely lacked! You care about the survivors that you're with and their stories, you want them all to live but you know that in a world overcome by a zombie apocalypse that it just can't happen. It's emotional, its suspenseful and its action packed! It is The Walking Dead and if you're a fan of the show or comics you owe it to yourself to go pick this one up if you haven't already! Expand
  43. Oct 14, 2013
    It's not perfect as a game by any means BUT your bond with clementine and just awesome characters each pretty interesting this game is more then worth your money.I'm not saying much about this because you just need to play it to know.I more then understand why this game won game of year.
  44. ERB
    Nov 2, 2013
    This is a pretty good game.The Walking Dead video game is like better than the Walking Dead TV series.The storyline in this game is pretty much why I'm giving this game a high score.It has a dramatic storyline and it is also a memorable game.The main character in this game is Lee Everett he is a guy that was supposedly gonna put down to jail but the moment the car crashes down to a forest he was knocked out for maybe a couple of weeks and he wakes up the police died and after he took the keys in the dead police guy's pocket and freed himself the police woke up as a zombie tried to attack Lee but Lee shot the police in the face with a shotgun.So the shot was really loud so the zombies came chasing Lee and then Lee was able to escape that despite his broken leg and then she meets a little girl in a house named Clementine without her family so Lee decided that she would take care of Clementine until her family finds her.There the story will begin.

So anyways this game is incredibly good a work of an art a well developed game and it is one of the best games out there.This game deserves a 9/10 from me which is good.You any of you guys who want to buy a good game try buying this incredible game.I'm telling you this game is good.
  45. Sep 18, 2013
    It is amazing how such simple gameplay can make such a tense experience the story is told excellently and the comic book style is surprisingly well done.
  46. Jun 18, 2013
    I took shot In the dark with this game. The only reason I ever gave it a chance at first was because it was Walking Dead. Telltale had done similar style games before they tackled The Walking Dead with projects like Back To The Future and Jurassic Park. From what I heard Jurassic Park was a steaming pile of trash which made me extremely worried for how the game would turn out. But somehow Telltale managed to do something amazing by making one of my favorite games of all time. This 5 episode series was something that I have never seen done before. With a market saturated with FPS it's hard to come by something so original. I think part of the fun was having to wait a month for the next episode to come out. The anticipation made me count down the days until each one came out. Now a days you can buy the whole game on disk which is fine, but I feel you will not get the same enjoyment out of it as I and the others that played it on release. But don't let this keep you from playing the game. From a graphical stand point it is nothing amazing, but its not trying to be. It has a comic book style look which surprisingly works extremely well. What people buy the game for is not its graphics but for its fantastic story and character development. From beginning to end you care for characters and strive to make the best choices for you and the group. Their all some small glitches that may freeze the game for a second, but they are rare and do not hurt the game. Each episode is different from the last and leaves you begging for more when it comes to a end. To top it all of it is on sale on for Playstation Plus members for $10. This is a game that deserves all the praise that it has gotten and was my 2012 GOTY.

9.5/10
  47. Aug 6, 2013
    When I first received this game in the mail, I expected to play a game where I was relentlessly shooting zombies, using both skill and big guns to succeed and ensure my survival. To my surprise and eternal delight, I was completely wrong. Instead of a shooter, I got one of the most nerve-wracking, intense, and heart wrenching experiences I have ever played in a video game. Telltale Games' The Walking Dead is definitely the most unexpected and best experience I have played all year.

First off is the concept. You play as a character named Lee who comes into contact with a little girl, Clementine, who has been separated from her family due to a zombie outbreak. As the first one to find her, Lee takes on the responsibility to protect Clementine and reunite her with her family. This creates a very heart-felt story centering around the relationship and fate of two people. You meet other survivors along the way, and develop relationships with them, whether they be positive or negative, and this ultimately shapes the story in ways you don't expect.

The gameplay isn't a shoot-em up but is instead something else entirely. The main form of gameplay is using a cross-hair that scrolls across the screen using the right analog stick, which in turn allows you to interact with the world using the action buttons and on screen prompts. Since the cross-hair is controlled by the right analog stick, naturally, you don't have control of the camera. Luckily, the game did a fine job in capturing the right angles for your play through and rarely did I get annoyed with the lack of control. The cross-hair itself is a little slow in movement, but it helps to keep up the intensity in suspenseful situations. The game also uses conversation choices using the action buttons to change the story as well as your relationship with other characters in the game. Your choices in conversation also come with a time limit which is used only in situations that are supposed to keep you on edge. In other words, this time limit is used exceptionally well and at the right times, but you will end up choosing conversation pieces you didn't want to. You'll soon learn that your choices in both conversation and action can greatly affect what happens in the story. Characters will remember the tiniest things you said or did which affects how the story unravels. However, you won't see the full effect of your choices until the very end of chapter 4 and throughout chapter 5. Until then, your choices won't seem to mean anything. Lastly, there are some shooting sequences which work very well, although, they aren't commonly used.

The soundtrack unfortunately isn't very special. Throughout the game, no soundtracks made much of an impression, save for the country song used in the end credits. The voice acting is decent enough, but like the music doesn't make an impression. Also, there were some frame by frame problems. There were a couple of times where the game would lag and would freeze for a second or two and then continue. This happened more than a few times. Luckily, these problems went away after several minutes.

I'm not sure how to feel about the graphics. They resemble Borderlands graphics by using cartoon outlines. However, the cartoon outlines are the only thing that give any detail. So, if there isn't much drawn out detail in objects (like buildings), the graphics can look undetailed and plain. Expect this a lot in backgrounds.

Lastly, is the best part of the game; the story. The story is by far one of the best I've ever seen and even rivals the well-written story of the Metal Gear saga. Every character you meet for an extended amount of time has a well-developed personality, whether they be bad or good. Not a single character appears bland and boring or under developed. Also, every chapter is very well written, and will either create intense or heart breaking moments. Relationships with characters really vary, and it's surprising how yesterday's friend will easily come to resent you in a few hours. This story is also one of the saddest I've ever played before. I have never once cried while playing a video game, but this is the very first game that I ever came close.

This game has its faults, but these aren't even remotely big enough to dissuade you from playing. This game has one of the most compelling stories and a unique gameplay mechanic to keep you interested from beginning to end. I don't care about what genre you're into. The Walking Dead is a game that cannot be missed by anyone.
  48. Aug 18, 2013
    Wow. Just...wow.
    A video game has never made me cry before. "It's just a game", I thought. How have I become so emotional? How have all these characters grown on me and made such an impression? Why do I feel responsible for the safety of a little girl that isn't even real? How am I going to admit to my friends that I just sobbed like a girl?
    Telltale games have made the biggest emotional
    roller-coaster of video game history. It's a classic puzzle/adventure game featuring panic inducing moral choices and fantastic voice-over work with a refreshingly intelligent adult storyline.
    I will say no more other than I would recommend this game to absolutely everyone as a must play.
  49. Aug 2, 2014
    I don't normally give out 10s but this game deserves an 11. This game is the most engaging and fun game I have played. You get so connected and so invested in everything that is going on. It may not be action, but more like watching an awesome movie where you make the decisions. I even love how it has slower moments to allow you to talk to the characters. Everyone should try this game.
  50. Sep 25, 2013
    This game is a masterpiece!! I really love how your decisions effect the game so much and the story is not bad either. Really fun game!!! And every character is so different too.
  51. Sep 29, 2013
    This game was my Game of the Year for 2012, and their is a reason why. The voice acting is incredible, especially with Dave Fannoy voicing Lee. The soundtrack is the second best soundtrack ive ever heard in my 16 years of gaming. The story is definitely in my top 10, it also has the best ending ive ever seen. The characters are relatable and their is huge character development in this game. This is truly a remarkable game, and will go down in history as one of the most ambitious and best games of all time. Expand
  52. Nov 12, 2013
    For a interactive movie like game the graphics and the story are amazing truly entertaining you really get attached to the characters. This game is the best way to spend 7-9 hours playing every episode if your sick in bed all day.
  53. Nov 23, 2013
    Can you really become close with characters in a game? The Walking Dead proves yes. The beautiful comic style art with the honesty of the characters you know and develop relationships with make this game superb. The relationship you develop with Clementine and others, as well as fighting your way through the apocalypse makes this game fantastic. Despite the story, the overall good RPG elements are questioned because the majority of the game is decisions. Although I think it is an almost perfect blend it is no doubt the introduction of a barrage of actually playable console RPGs. So play this game, it brings out things inside you one wouldn't think a game couldn't bring out. Expand
  54. Dec 9, 2013
    Awesome game, Awesome story Great gameplay
    One of the best game i played since Heavy rain story wise and probably best zombie story game as compared to other zombie games
  55. Mar 19, 2014
    I just love Walking dead - the comic book, the TV-series and the game. However considering TellTales Walking Dead a game might be to go a step to far, but not in a bad way. I consider TellTales Walking Dead series more like a “live” storybook where I as a “player” get to choose the outcome. And it’s a great story, well worth to “play through” – A real emotional roller coaster!
  56. Apr 21, 2014
    never have I felt so attached to characters before, never have been on the verge of tears so many times in because of a game before, and never did I think a point and click adventure game could be one of the best games I have ever played. your choices are immediately realized in this game and can have long or short term effects. it has revolutionized the use of story telling in a game similar to games like heavy rain but not quite to this extent. telltale game's the walking dead is a masterpiece and could not be scored lower than a 10. the experience will ultimately be different for every one, but it will be a good one Expand

1. May 27, 2013
    A gaming experience that is truly unlike any other, The Walking Dead should be required playing for anyone who considers themselves a fan of our favourite medium. [Issue#231, p.76]
  2. Mar 17, 2013
    It deserves it as well, because The Walking Dead is a great game, one that truly pushes what can be done with a video game narrative that cannot be done in film or TV.
  3. Believable dialogue from rounded characters who behave as you'd expect real people to. [Feb 2013, p.106]