7.0

1. Aug 24, 2013
    The only point this game gets from me is for narration; everything else is a bit empty.
    Puzzles are trivial and boring. Story is dull.
    As a whole, game made me feel like wasting time.
  2. May 20, 2013
    Thomas was alone for many reasons. It may have started from his upbringing. He clearly came from a very poor family. A family that had no artistic ability. A family that was ugly. He grew up in a world that was ugly. Because of this, Thomas never stood a chance.

Thomas was a square. Both literally and figuratively. In Pulp Fiction, Uma Thurman sat in the car with John Travolta
    and said “you can get a steak here daddy-o, don’t be a…” then she proceeded to draw a square with her hands. Thomas was a square.

Thomas starts all alone. You have a few options for him. You can move left and right and you can jump. He will do nothing more than this. To proceed, you move Thomas to a portal. Simple as that. I truly mean, simple as that. The final level was as easy as the first.

During Thomas’s journey a voice over explains his feelings and environment. It tries to be funny, but the long breaks in between sentences and the blaring music over his voice really muddle it and make it difficult to hear. There are subtitles to read along with, but get jumbled around as you move your character making it near impossible to read. The voice over for the first few levels are so long compared to the time that it actually takes to reach the portal and advance, that it cuts off and goes to a loading screen. I realized I had to stop just outside of a portal and wait for the narrator to finish before I could move on. This is only for the first levels where you play as Thomas. Once a new character is involved, this no longer becomes a problem, other than the terrible sound quality and horribly structured subtitles.
    More and more squares get involved, each with their own unique color and ability. The big blue one floats, the tall yellow one jumps far, the green one is anti-gravity, etc. This makes for some very fun puzzles time to time. Every chapter introduces new characters. By the end of the chapter, the puzzles are innovative and fun. Once a new chapter begins though, the puzzles are back to square one and become too simple. Which was a shame. I really didn't need an intro to every new ability these squares had. Out of all the levels the game has to offer, only a few of them were worth playing.

This game could have been slightly better if they took the time to create fun characters and worlds to explore. The world was black squares with a fancy lighting effect. I understand if the creators are terrible artists, but that’s when you find someone to draw for you. Squares are a really terrible idea for characters. If you had a dude with springs on his feet, then you would identify that with the long jumper or a fat guy with a flotation device around his waist to identify the water character. I kept thinking to myself, what does the small square do? Oh, that’s right. Nothing. A square was actually the perfect character for him.

I’m disappointed in myself for supporting something that cost more money for me to buy than a cell phone app that was clearly less polished. It’s disappointing to own a Vita and have games like this be featured. I hope Thomas is alone forever.
  3. Apr 16, 2014
    This game tries way too hard to be this cutesy quirky minimalist thing, giving its blocks (read: spoon-fed by the pretentious British narration) forced cutesy quirky personalities while you solve really tedious block puzzles. You have to individually get ALL the blocks to their destinations, meaning you'll retread the same ground over and over. I do not understand why critics seem to universally adore it—I actively hate this game. Expand

1. Apr 4, 2014
    Thomas Was Alone gives an all-encompassing experience that’s nestled inside a marvelously crafted world of stories, friends, and jumping.
  2. This puzzle platformer may sport some the most dull looking characters we have ever seen in a videogame. But you just can not help but care for these small little blocks because of the game's very well designed mechanics and great storytelling. [June 2013, p.90]
  3. Thomas Was Alone comes together into something more than the sum of its multiple simplistic parts. [July 2013, p79]