5.0

1. Nov 15, 2013
    while the English voice acting is awful. the Japanese sounds much better. the graphics look amazing, although the animations can look awkward at times. the combat is a bit odd but easy to grasp and pretty fun. the story is alright but the characters themselves are pretty bland and models are reused a lot. there is also a lot of unnecessary movement when the characters are talking.while the English voice acting is awful. the Japanese sounds much better. the graphics look amazing, although the animations can look awkward at times. the combat is a bit odd but easy to grasp and pretty fun. the story is alright but the characters themselves are pretty bland and models are reused a lot. there is also a lot of unnecessary movement when the characters are talking. definitely not for everyone, and a great game if you look past it's flaws Expand
  2. Jul 18, 2013
    ImageEpoch intends to bring a bit of fresh to the JRPG scene by making Toki Towa in full anime style, and they did it right imho. The characters' animations may be somewhat repetitive, the art style is charming and looks like nothing you've ever seen. It's clear that Toki and Towa are the main attraction of this, so it's more than ever a matter of opinion. The humor is particular also,ImageEpoch intends to bring a bit of fresh to the JRPG scene by making Toki Towa in full anime style, and they did it right imho. The characters' animations may be somewhat repetitive, the art style is charming and looks like nothing you've ever seen. It's clear that Toki and Towa are the main attraction of this, so it's more than ever a matter of opinion. The humor is particular also, very ludicrous similarly to what you can see in actual anime (the clear source of inspiration again), while heavily leaning towards ecchi (including the illustrations that come together). But in the result, it's super effective and I had awesome laughs quite a couple of times. Be careful though because I don't know how well it can be transcribed in English!

The first thing that falls into pieces pretty quickly is the gameplay. For starters, enemies of the same type do always the same actions in the same order. Consequently, you always attack them the same way, that is to say in the few openings they leave. Let's be absolutely clear about this, battles in Toki Towa are not repetitive, they're IDENTICAL. Skills are extremely unbalanced, since magic can OHKO most enemies and even 2HKO bosses up until the first half of the game. Physical attacks as well counter are then left unused because underpowered and imprecise. Time Magic is not really better the only useful one is the one that freezes your opponent. The others I still don't know what they are here for, except for the time-acceleration magic which is clearly here to kill you since you take damage anyway! If you add a not so engaging quest system and a insane surge in difficulty in the 3rd chapter, you realize that you need a great deal of patience to finish Toki Towa.

On the graphics side and independently from design which I've already talked about Toki Towa is again fairly modest and it's clear that the company has privileged an economical development. Dongeons aren't that varied and backgrounds are as empty as Moon landscape, whilst suffering from framerate drops and clipping on the top of things! NPCs aren't fully animated or even displayed on the field... In short, Toki Towa is kind of halfway between JRPG and visual novel.

It is therefore hard to recommend Toki Towa to regular JRPGs players. It is mostly destined to Japanese anime/games fans you are deep into ecchi design/visual novels. So if you've fallen in love with the art direction, Toki or Towa, you might try this out, but the risk of disillusionment remains high.
  3. Sep 3, 2013
    This game was pretty good though, I'm not lying saying that this game also have a lot of flaws, precisely in the repetitive actions of the characters -enemies or allies- the battles takes a lot of time (more than I want to spend on one fight), the monsters should be more taken seriously, the way that they're drawn, the way they act in battle (with repetition of course) I personally don'tThis game was pretty good though, I'm not lying saying that this game also have a lot of flaws, precisely in the repetitive actions of the characters -enemies or allies- the battles takes a lot of time (more than I want to spend on one fight), the monsters should be more taken seriously, the way that they're drawn, the way they act in battle (with repetition of course) I personally don't want to fight that kind of creature, it's just really childish and a waste of time. With all these flaws, I don't think I would like this game, these are all that I hate in a game, but, the storyline and the character's behaviour save all the game when you get into it. All along the game we just follow toki and towa and we really get attached to one of them or maybe both. I have to say for the first JRPG that is entirely anime- styled, it's pretty great. Expand
  4. Apr 19, 2014
    I love JRPGs so I was able to get some fun out of it. The game has big issues and you spend most of your time doing sides quests rather than progressing on a simple story which doesn't go very far. The saving grace in the story is how funny it is. The areas keep repeating so the game starts to look really dull despite the cool anime style. I enjoyed the game some what at first but the gameI love JRPGs so I was able to get some fun out of it. The game has big issues and you spend most of your time doing sides quests rather than progressing on a simple story which doesn't go very far. The saving grace in the story is how funny it is. The areas keep repeating so the game starts to look really dull despite the cool anime style. I enjoyed the game some what at first but the game becomes tedious later on. It's an alright game but any more than a 6 I think is been too kind. Expand
  5. Nov 17, 2013
    When i started this game and in the first 2 minutes i realized this was a visual novel with some combat i said F*** YEAH!!! Now can anyone like this game. of course not. but a select few, yes. this is a special kind of game meant to appease a certain kind of audience. the kind of audience that love games like hyperdemsion Neptunia and cheap Japanese Visual Novels
  6. Dec 26, 2013
    Okay, when yo start the game, you find flaws everywhere, character design, game play, quest, omg you can easily think often 'this game is poorly done'. However, for some reason i can;t stop playing it, it's bad, but that's good, I think the developers tried to focus more in their animated transitions or mix between movie/images, like a experiment. However, well, i don't know, I will playOkay, when yo start the game, you find flaws everywhere, character design, game play, quest, omg you can easily think often 'this game is poorly done'. However, for some reason i can;t stop playing it, it's bad, but that's good, I think the developers tried to focus more in their animated transitions or mix between movie/images, like a experiment. However, well, i don't know, I will play ti through the end, it's up to each person. Collapse
  7. Feb 25, 2015
    Coming from a gamer and avid anime fan (not a weeaboo), I found this game to be...well disappointing.

I won't try to sugar coat this game. I'll be honest, I haven't finished the game yet (getting to it), but talking from a gamer's viewpoint, this game failed. Hard. The combat is very, if not, extremely bad but playable. It's basically a dodge left or right (really doesn't make

The combat is very, if not, extremely bad but playable. It's basically a dodge left or right (really doesn't make much of a difference), attack from ranged or melee with special attacks thrown in. That's it. You don't move in combat, there is no "extremely" interesting feature, you just dodge some, shoot some, melee a little and SP attack like some RPG rail-shooter. If you're here for the gameplay, leave. Just leave, don't look back. Go, bye, bye, thanks for reading this review.

But if I were to talk about the combat, I might as well touch on why I said what I said. First of all: the gameplay is repetitive as **** (purposely censored by me). You basically run round to objectives that take WAY too long to find and fight monsters along the way or avoid them. You'll start to avoid them once you realize your health doesn't regenerate (probably after 1 or 2 fights) and that the gameplay is terrible in its own right, but playable and enjoyable if you're engaged in a "good" boss.

I'll use Infinity Blade as an example, the first one. It's godlike in its own right because it does what Toki no Hana- I mean, Toki to Towa does, but right. You see, Infinity Blade's fights are random and sometimes unpredictable. If you make a mistake, you can cancel that mistake by either dodging or canceling your dodge with an attack. However, in Time and Eternity's case, you can't cancel any actions preformed (a subject that will be touched upon later). This leaves a MASSIVE delay for you to get hit. When I play, I'll use guns and when I use my god damned guns, I have to reload. I CAN'T CANCEL THAT RELOAD ANIMATION (literal animation). Leaving me wide open to get hit. Same with melee attacks and dodge animations, you can't cancel any of them.

The gameplay is also extremely repetitive and not he Infinity Blade type. You end up avoid most monsters thanks to this. Too bad you need that XP to level up for the next few stages. You end up figuring out most enemy tactics by then and you just get tired and just want the story to continue. However, boss fights are actually surprisingly fun to play when they're not cheap damage dealers. Gives you a very similar feeling to Infinity Blade's titan fights. The randomness and skill (like lvl 30-50 titan skill if comparing to IB, in the first act anyways) it takes to beat these bosses are probably the most fun I've had playing the game.

Also you have a block move. Really, I don't use that **** since you STILL TAKE TONS OF DAMAGE AND CAN'T CANCEL THE BLOCK ANIMATION (slight delay after stopping). So, to me: it's pretty much a death trap.

The story is a unique concept that has not been brushed on frequently nor as in depth in both Japanese and American entertainment: The Time-Loop. This gives the game its namesake: Time and Eternity or Toki to Towa, they are also the names of the two main heroines: Toki and Towa.

Coming from a guy who played just the first act, the story is "cute" and "moe" at times. The protagonist, not heroine, is completely unrelatible though and I found him annoying. The two heroines are generic anime girls. A tsundere...and another tsundere, type A and type B though, going by TV Trope definitions here. The plot is clever, I'll give it that, but executed fairly averagely. It's not good, it's not bad, it's just....meh. Notable, but not a piece of art. Like I said, I haven't finished playing the game yet (combat really put me off, planning on getting back to it), so I'll cut my review of the plot here.

Now, onto the gimmicks they use. Remember when I said "two heroines", Toki and Towa? Well, they're the same person. Kind of obvious. However, the gimmick is, when you level up, you switch heroines. REALLY annoying when you're trying to get one ending and you end up always getting the other heroine's favor. It's second gimmick is the fact that characters are anime sprites. Something that worked for it only when they're trying to get weeaboos to cash in and I swear to god it worked on me.

This method of approaching the game limits many things. You can't cancel the combat animations "fluidly" and the 3D and 2D are difficult to mesh together. The good thing though: well you get anime cutscenes, if you really care for that (rare for me, it's a guilty pleasure). Honestly, they did a great job of animating the game. The 2D looks like something torn from a god damned PSX game though.

I can't touch on music now, I've reached my character limit, but what I do have to say is, it's actually pretty good. Worth a listen.

This review may be biased, all reviews are, but this game is worth a look. Rent it, buy it if you really like it, but if you're not a big JRPG fan, rent it.
  8. Dec 26, 2013

1. Nov 11, 2013
    Its story amounts to little more than misfired jokes about an obnoxious perv trying to look up as many skirts as possible.
  2. Looking at just some still images from the game, you would have to be blind, not to call it beautiful. However once you see it in motion, you realize that producing manga or anime is not the same as making a game. The lively animations do not match with the static backgrounds. [September p.86]
  3. Sep 19, 2013
    Time equals money, and Time and Eternity is not worth either.