Tomb Raider PlayStation 3

8.4

1. Mar 20, 2017
    Graficamente muy bien, pero demasiado bélico, sin exploracion, pocos puzzles, sin zonas de nado, en fin, simplemente no es un tomb raider. Pero lo peor: la historia, totalmente sinsentido. No comprendo las notas tan elevadas, quizás se deban a que ahora parece que lo que importa es liarse a tiros.
  2. Mar 15, 2017
    Meh, i liked Tomb Raider Underworls so much for exploring and puzzles. Now i got cinematic experience and Knockdown/Rambo Lara Simulator, she is mass murderer, young girl able to kill strong men in meele combat.. Island where she crushed looked like abandoned but ended with quantity of people enought for disco party festival. I want "old" Tomb Raiders, no Uncharted reboots.
  3. Mar 13, 2017
    First of all, I'm a massive Tomb Raider fan. I've been a fan since 1996 when the first game came out. I was really looking forward to this grittier, more mature version of Lara, but ultimately I was disappointed.

Many (if not all) of you are probably familiar with Naughty Dog's cinematic adventure series Uncharted. That's what Tomb Raider, once an original and innovative franchise, has become. Lara herself underwent a drastic redesign, which I actually really like despite the fact she now looks like she came out of a Final Fantasy game. It doesn't surprise me at all, seeing how Square Enix acquired the rights to the franchise.

The gameplay and controls are solid, and I don't really have any major complaints. The only thing that really bothered me was the "survival instinct" mechanic. If you stand still and press a button, the screen goes black and white and collectibles, enemies, and points of interest are highlighted. Think of it as Batman's detective mode from the Arkham series. However, Batman can use his detective mode while moving. Lara has to be perfectly still, and the survival instinct mode turns off as soon as she moves. It's inconvenient but not a deal breaker.

There's also a simple crafting system and some basic RPG elements with skill trees and new abilities, but it's not very deep.

The sound design is okay, but I'm not really a fan of the music. There's not a single memorable melody, not even a main theme. The game looks hideous, at least on PS3. Uncharted 3 came out before Tomb Raider, and looked infinitely better. I later bought the Definitive Edition on PS4, and naturally it looks much better, so that's the version I recommend.

Now to the story and characters, which is the reason why my score is so low. The story is simply awful. I'm not gonna spoil it for those who haven't finished it yet, but it feels like a not very good fanfiction. Which is rather amusing, because the story was written by Rhianna Pratchett.

Tomb Raider is desperately trying to be Uncharted, but Crystal Dynamics obviously didn't understand what made Uncharted so popular. When you take Uncharted as a game, it's nothing special. An average game at best. What makes it so great, are its charming, likable characters. That's where Tomb Raider falls flat on its face. Every single character in the game is forgettable and insignificant. You hardly know anything about them. When they die, you know you're supposed to care, but you simply don't. If you removed all of them but the main villain, nothing would change. The worst offender is Samantha, Lara's close friend whose sole purpose seems to be screaming Lara's name and getting saved. She's what princess Peach is to Mario, a pretty and stupid damsel in distress. The cast is diverse. You have an obligatory angry black woman, an Asian, a Pacific Islander, and a bunch of white people led by Lara herself. But like I said, none of it matters because they have no personality whatsoever. You can collect Samantha's journals and watch short videos to learn more about our heroes, but it's so lazily done it means nothing.

Tomb Raider also has multiplayer, but it feels tacked on, and seems to solely exist because other games are doing it. Tomb Raider has always been a singleplayer, narrative-driven franchise, and multiplayer has no place here. It's also completely unmoderated, meaning everyone is using hacks which allow them to shoot through walls and such. It's particularly bad on PC. There's no penalty for this, and it completely ruins what was a pretty shallow experience to being with.

To sum it up: if you've never played Uncharted, you'll probably like this game way more than I did. Add a point or two to my score if that's the case. If you're looking for a game that will make you feel for your heroes, try the Uncharted trilogy instead.

Oh, and fair warning to everyone who suffers from motion sickness like I do: the in-game camera is absolutely bloody atrocious! It constantly shakes and vibrates with Lara's every move and turn AND during cutscenes, too. I was forced to take frequent breaks while playing because I was getting headaches after just 20 minutes of playing. You can disable the shakycam on PC using a fan-made patch, but on consoles you are stuck with it, both in the PS3 and PS4 versions.
  4. Nov 21, 2016
    I have just finished the game and I have 91% trophies and 100% completion. What I lack is max out multi and 3 missable sp tropies and what I must say about game, is that Tomb Raider reboot is gorgeous game. It is beautiful (as for PS3) with interesting plot and a lot of optional exploring. I give the game 7, mostly because of the fact, that when I have finished the game, I have a feelingI have just finished the game and I have 91% trophies and 100% completion. What I lack is max out multi and 3 missable sp tropies and what I must say about game, is that Tomb Raider reboot is gorgeous game. It is beautiful (as for PS3) with interesting plot and a lot of optional exploring. I give the game 7, mostly because of the fact, that when I have finished the game, I have a feeling that I do not want to replay it and also because secondary characters are dumb and useless. When you play Uncharted sometimes you have Sally and other NPC for you help, there a lot more interactions between all the characters. TR lacks it. Expand
  5. Nov 13, 2016
    It's not as spectacular as Uncharted. The optional puzzles tombs were small rooms with simple and straightforward crude tasks to "solve". For example there was a balance plank as one puzzle and it simply required the player to collect a few heavy objects to tip the balance. Most of the puzzles were like that.

I did not encounter the classic dual pistols (Tomb Raider classic). I'm not

I did not encounter the classic dual pistols (Tomb Raider classic). I'm not even sure there were fights with animals like bears and wolves. Instead, the game copies Uncharted's gun fights, as if those were ever the positive feature in that game.

Tomb Raider 2013's setting is mostly exciting because it uses a foreign culture to build something 'fantastic', but apart from the controls and the time spent between gun fights, the game feels very much 'on-rails' in an automatic continuation of Uncharted's adventures. With less spectacular levels and more focus on gameplay.

The online multiplayer is inactive ('dead') and has a reputation for being tacked-on and mediocre.
  6. Aug 10, 2016
    Tomb raider was my favorite series when it first came out, yeah I know, Im old. I loved the first three games, but after that I lost interest in the series. Cut to 2013 due to me having an amazon card buring a hole in my pocket, I end up getting this game for nostalgic reasons. Im am glad to say "awesome sauce". From the beginning to the end, I enjoyed this title. Pure quality, beautifulTomb raider was my favorite series when it first came out, yeah I know, Im old. I loved the first three games, but after that I lost interest in the series. Cut to 2013 due to me having an amazon card buring a hole in my pocket, I end up getting this game for nostalgic reasons. Im am glad to say "awesome sauce". From the beginning to the end, I enjoyed this title. Pure quality, beautiful graphics, great mechanics, eerie set pieces, dank tombs, lots of collectables, bad ass enemies plus the story is interesting and entertaining. The game is just fun to play, a real good time. They even threw in a little multiplayer to spice things up. If you like tomb raider or uncharted series, you'll really enjoy this... Expand
  7. Jul 4, 2016
    This was one of the best games I've ever played since GOW. The action mixed with movie scenes and interactive gameplay were done extremely well. The character reacts quickly to the commands. Only rarely she would fail to take out the climbing ax on time, but otherwise I rank this among the top favorite games. A little too much shooting for my taste, but each scene makes you want toThis was one of the best games I've ever played since GOW. The action mixed with movie scenes and interactive gameplay were done extremely well. The character reacts quickly to the commands. Only rarely she would fail to take out the climbing ax on time, but otherwise I rank this among the top favorite games. A little too much shooting for my taste, but each scene makes you want to continue for more. Definitely worth going back to previous chapters to upgrade the weapons. I wish after completing it, the island becomes bright and sunny when you want to continue the incomplete stuff. The tombs are the puzzles in the game, but I was glad there weren't swarms of enemies inside. Any doubts, I recommend buying it. You won't regret it. Expand
  8. May 21, 2016
    This game is on fire. NAH I wont say that. It sucks . All about survival , who will play game fully about survival . Just trying to get of a stupid island. There could have been a better presentation . TOO much . MAN THIS GAME SUCKS
  9. May 12, 2016
    Great game on PS3. It has beautiful graphic and superb control. I played Uncharted before and didn't very like it because felt like watching movie, but Tomb Raider really like playing a game. There are experience, salvage and gear to improve Lara Croft. It has back tracking system to find hidden collectibles as well gain experience and salvage to become the very bad-ass than no one ever was.
  10. May 5, 2016
    Tomb Raider may get a tad repetitive at times, and feels like a femme version of Uncharted. With that said it is still a solid game with great action set pieces, gorgeous graphics, and nice dose of atmosphere. Fast paced (I beat it in about a day and half) and a lot of fun.
  11. Mar 22, 2016
    Really good game - better than I was expecting. It is very similar to the Uncharted series. If you enjoy playing as Nathan Drake, you will definitely like playing as Lara Croft. The story is pretty good and keeps you interested, but it is somewhat cliche. The supporting characters are not as well developed as in Uncharted. The game is fairly short to complete, but it was enjoyable toReally good game - better than I was expecting. It is very similar to the Uncharted series. If you enjoy playing as Nathan Drake, you will definitely like playing as Lara Croft. The story is pretty good and keeps you interested, but it is somewhat cliche. The supporting characters are not as well developed as in Uncharted. The game is fairly short to complete, but it was enjoyable to play. Very graphic and violent, more so than Uncharted (Lara death scenes are brutal!).

Pros
    + Very similar to the Uncharted series
    + Good story
    + Nice graphics
    + Tight controls and game play

Cons
    - Short game
    - Supporting characters not well developed
    - Enemies are a little repetitive
  12. Dec 12, 2015
    It's REALLY good.
    It's REALLY good.
    The reboot of the iconic franchise, Tomb Raider is a shining example of what video game characters can be. The game itself is built very well, the story is engaging, the presentation is fantastic, the amount of depth put into it is deep, the gameplay is exciting, and the game is overall breath-taking. But what really makes this game great is it's representation of Lara Croft. She isn't just a hot female protagonist, she's a character that you care about, she's a character is a better Nathan Drake than most other characters in video game history. The only real thing that I didn't like about the game was the survival aspect, being more of a ways to get XP, and the multiplayer really isn't that good, it doesn't mirror the actual game well. (Well, this game has been out for 2 years now, there probably isn't any servers online anymore.) It's great, and is worth every penny.

Tomb Raider gets a 9/10.
  13. Dec 1, 2015
    This was my first Tomb Raider experience and it is safe to say that I am hooked. The designs are beautifully crafted and the story constantly propels you deeper into the life of Lara Croft. This game always had exciting thrills and was a fun adventure from start to finish. A must own and addicting in the best way.
  14. Nov 9, 2015
    I have had the pleasure of playing through this game once on two systems, my PC and my PS3. I played TR originally on PC maxed out with a 360 controller, i enjoyed every bit of the game, started collecting for PS3, i thought why th ehell not and added a physical copy to my collection, i expected it to be a downgraded experience especially with hardware being vastly different, however....I have had the pleasure of playing through this game once on two systems, my PC and my PS3. I played TR originally on PC maxed out with a 360 controller, i enjoyed every bit of the game, started collecting for PS3, i thought why th ehell not and added a physical copy to my collection, i expected it to be a downgraded experience especially with hardware being vastly different, however.... even on PS3 this game is breathtaking obviously not as much as the first time, but from memory of me playing it on PC, i have no qualms with it's visuals at all and the game remains at a stable enough framerate even during heavy combat.
    I own all previous TR games across a few systems.. PS1/Dreamcast/PS2/PS3 this TR is different, but in a good way, exploring the open parts of the game, (i say parts as you have to fast travel to other areas) is fun, trying to locate all docs/GPS Caches/Tombs and relics is a nice side quest, and gives this game more to it's fundamental gameplay armory.
    A 10/10 experience.
  15. Sep 28, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If You Loved This Video Game So Much You Sud Intend To Buy It Right **** Cunning Now? Gotta Too Play This Game On PlayStation 3 And PlayStation 4 And XBOX ONE Expand
  16. Jul 7, 2015
    I have to be honest, I wasn't expecting to be thrilled when I got this game. The typical Tomb Raider had lots of buttons to use on the PC. Luckily, I got this on the PS3 and using a controller made life "simpler". I was gradually getting bored with the typical lay out of the game. I was excited to play the anniversary TR as I played the original one back in the 90's, but wasn't exactlyI have to be honest, I wasn't expecting to be thrilled when I got this game. The typical Tomb Raider had lots of buttons to use on the PC. Luckily, I got this on the PS3 and using a controller made life "simpler". I was gradually getting bored with the typical lay out of the game. I was excited to play the anniversary TR as I played the original one back in the 90's, but wasn't exactly excited with the others. Don't get me wrong, I didn't hate them and I still play them occasionally. THIS TR game was thrilling. I spent hours trying to get everything the game offered. I had moment of feeling like I was actually in the game. There was so much action, I was actually sweating. I love this game and I am definitely unhappy the sequel will only be on the XBOX. This game is a breathe of fresh air. The story is gritty and dark, but so good! The graphics were great. The controls were great. I do have to say the some missions were more difficult as there wasn't enough information available to know what to do. Then again. I was playing that mission at 3:30 AM.

I really didn't like the supporting characters though. It seemed like they were more in the way than anything else.

I recommend this game for TR fans that might have gotten bored, but still loved the franchise.
  17. Jun 21, 2015
    I've just finished the game, and i realized my expectations where too high, the A.I. is dumb as hell and there is so little exploration for a game about... Exploration, the game play is just ok, but it feel like it was imported from a template, is very generic. To be honest i didn't like the original tomb raider from the ps1 and i never finished (or played more that a couple of hours) anyI've just finished the game, and i realized my expectations where too high, the A.I. is dumb as hell and there is so little exploration for a game about... Exploration, the game play is just ok, but it feel like it was imported from a template, is very generic. To be honest i didn't like the original tomb raider from the ps1 and i never finished (or played more that a couple of hours) any game of the series, but this was so "whatever", it's not the game i expected. Expand
  18. May 15, 2015
  19. Feb 10, 2015
    I'm in to these adventure games, I'm a big fan of the Unchartered and Tomb Raider series. Great action scenes, somewhat mediocre fighting dynamics tho. The cut scenes comes a little too tight, breaks the momentum of the game.
  20. Jan 16, 2015
    This game drove me crazy, all it has is extremely well done, characters, effect, fights, weapons,music, sounds, everything is wonderfull, I love lara since now, hahha 10/10
  21. Jan 7, 2015
    This is one of the best tomb raider game. I'm a fan of Tomb Raider games. Played every tomb raider except Tomb Raider Underworld. Puzzles are rather simpler in this game. But background atmosphere and visuals are awesome. deserves 9/10.
  22. Jan 5, 2015
    Class game of high quality - stunning graphics, brilliant acting and voice acting - especially by Camilla Luddington and Robin Atkin Downes. Take part in a thrilling storyline, with good gameplay - if not a little unrefined. Do those guards over there have infinite molotovs?!?!? (Reminds me of the Rocket Launchers in Star Wars Bounty Hunter)

8/10 - Ben Hazelden
  23. Dec 15, 2014
    Tomb Raider is an excellent game that gets completely revamp the series. The game tells the first adventure of Lara Croft, the origin of the famous explorer from a terrible tragedy and their struggle to survive. A game that manages all your purposes, and does not disappoint anyone.

-------------------------- Tomb Raider es un excelente videojuego que consigue renovar por completo la

--------------------------

Tomb Raider es un excelente videojuego que consigue renovar por completo la saga. El juego nos cuenta la primera aventura de Lara Croft, el origen de la famosa exploradora desde una terrible tragedia y su lucha por sobrevivir. Un juego que logra todo sus propositos, y que no defraudara a nadie.
  24. Nov 27, 2014
    The story leaves much to be desired.

The combat forces you to play a certain way or you will die.

The voice acting is quite bad.

It looks good and feels good but that's not enough for me.
  25. Nov 24, 2014
    I wanted to like this game a little bit more, I really wanted, but something in this game doesn't "click" with me. Amazing graphics, amazing atmosphere, amazing voice acting and amazing soundtrack. The gameplay also is vastly improved from previous games. The logical puzzles are far more easy to figure out, but there's too much shooting and too little exploration or jumping puzzles. AndI wanted to like this game a little bit more, I really wanted, but something in this game doesn't "click" with me. Amazing graphics, amazing atmosphere, amazing voice acting and amazing soundtrack. The gameplay also is vastly improved from previous games. The logical puzzles are far more easy to figure out, but there's too much shooting and too little exploration or jumping puzzles. And the story, although gritty, it just feels... bland. The characters are empty, with the exception of Lara. The campaign is too short and the multiplayer is BORING. No way it's a bad game, it's just... not exactly there. It wants to be so much more, but it falls short. Expand
  26. Nov 11, 2014
    I liked this game. I think it's important to start off with the fact that I had never played a Tomb Raider game before this one. I have Underworld sitting on my shelf, and I want to go back and play the classics now, but I didn't have any story or character expectations going into this game. The visuals even on the PS3 were great. They were on par or better than some of the other gamesI liked this game. I think it's important to start off with the fact that I had never played a Tomb Raider game before this one. I have Underworld sitting on my shelf, and I want to go back and play the classics now, but I didn't have any story or character expectations going into this game. The visuals even on the PS3 were great. They were on par or better than some of the other games that released at the same time as it. I felt almost immediately like I understood who Laura was and what her goals were when she got to the island. The story definitely carried me threw the game, but unfortunately the last 2 hours of story just dragged a bit much for me. SPOILERS AHEAD - (I thought I was almost done with the game when I saved my friend and escaped the temple and etc. etc. two more hours were left and they dragged) SPOILERS OVER The final boss fight was a glorified quick time event, and while I'm not opposed to QTEs I think the boss battle should have rewarded me for all the upgraded weapons I had made.

The game play was good. It runs a lot like other third person shooters. I enjoyed the mix of weapons which as they upgraded added new options for working my way through the mass of bad guys in each level. The platforming parts of the game were great. The rush that comes from being shot at while trying to balance or make a well timed leap is great. There were some puzzle only sections in the special tombs that could be found and raided for weapon and skill upgrades.

The upgrade system for skills and weapons was pretty well rounded and didn't dive too deep into the "once you get that move you are unkillable" world that some games do. It also wasn't pointless. Some of the upgrades really do make Laura a better stalker which is how I tried to play a lot of the game. It isn't a stealth game per say but I liked that I could play a very stealthy Laura and not have every encounter devolve into a machine gun blasting rampage. Don't get me wrong those are great, but I like that some areas could be handled more tactically.

Tomb raider let's you explore a vast island with different open areas that you only end up returning to once or twice in the story playthrough. I had the option to return more than that as my skills went up to find more secrets, tombs, and upgrades; but I was able to play through the game without doing too much extra stuff. I was never forced to do a side quest and could always choose how deep I wanted to go into the island's mysteries. I am still considering going back and trying for the platinum, but there are so many games I have left to play right now.

My favorite part of the game was probably the "Secret tomb puzzles". These pure platform puzzle areas were unique and made me utilize my head instead of just jumping for the yellow bar like some games. The rewards for the puzzles were usually key parts to upgrading a gun or a significant skill boost. I didn't groan when I found a tomb because I knew they would make me more survivable and not reward me with a stupid multiplayer costume.

My least favorite part of the game had to be the two different gore tunnels Laura found herself in during the game. The tunnels weren't full of enemies or traps, it just made you wade or crawl slowly through a mush of human and animal remains. I'm not sure what the purpose of this was other than to freak out my wife who was watching during one session or to make me annoyed at the slow pace the two scenes add to the game. I wasn't held in suspense, just a little queasy at the end.

This game does a great job of blending story, character, and gameplay. It ends before it gets too repetitive and there are ample opportunities to return and do extra work on the island. It looks and sounds beautiful. This game made me want to go back and play older tomb raider games so it's definitely doing something right.

In Conclusion

+ Audio and Visual style
    + Skill and weapon upgrade system
    + game play especially tombs, and puzzles with enemies
    - Gore tunnels
    - Story lasts a little bit too long
  27. Oct 11, 2014
    This game is one of the best games I've ever played for its amazing visuals, fantastic story, interesting characters especially Lara who portrayed so well by Camilla Luddington, excellent gameplay and a gorgeous open world. This game would have been a 10 if not for its multiplayer, I mean its not the worst multiplayer ever but its not that exciting.
  28. Aug 23, 2014
    Even though I don't agree with some of the big scores for Tomb Raider I felt it was a nice experience. Although the playing online was not the best I kept playing do to the pretty good story they had in the campaign. Although the main reason I felt it was not that amazing was (in my opinion) the game play did not feel smooth and the gun play felt like a peashooter even though they wereEven though I don't agree with some of the big scores for Tomb Raider I felt it was a nice experience. Although the playing online was not the best I kept playing do to the pretty good story they had in the campaign. Although the main reason I felt it was not that amazing was (in my opinion) the game play did not feel smooth and the gun play felt like a peashooter even though they were weapons that were made on the spot. The game play never felt satisfying to me enough. The leveling system never appealed to me and felt lopsided to specific skills instead of exploring new tactics. If you like the IP of Tomb Raider then I do recommend buying it for PS4 or the cheaper last gen console version or just wait for the sequel to released. Expand
  29. Jul 7, 2014
    Let me start by saying that this is the very first Tomb Raider title I have ever played, though I have played and extremely enjoyed the Uncharted series. I thought this game was a whole lot of fun and it's a truly fresh way to introduce us to Lara Croft. The level design is fantastic, the graphics are beautiful and the action set pieces are pretty extreme.

You will enjoy using the bow

You will enjoy using the bow and arrow a whole lot, especially once you get flaming and exploding arrows.

It's a really great game and I enjoyed it till the very end. Doesn't best Uncharted for me, but it's a close second when it comes to adventure games such as these. I definitely recommend this one, go out and buy it, I doubt you'll be disappointed.
  30. Jul 2, 2014
    I want to give this game 9.5 but I can't. There were a couple of tiny things which bothered me, but overall gameplay, story, graphics, sounds etc were 100%. When you look back and try and play Tomb Raider from even a couple of years ago you get frustrated so quickly the new technology has created seamless interaction. Great game well implemented.

1. Apr 11, 2013
    This reboot of the series not only surpassed my expectations, but it is easily one of the best games I have played in a long time. If you're like me and love story driven games that offer a great gaming experience then Tomb Raider is definitely for you.
  2. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Apr 3, 2013
    There’s no denying Tomb Raider is a heavily influenced work, both mechanically and aesthetically (its nods to Neil Marshall’s The Descent are so happy to be there at one point Lara even re-enacts the “girlrising-out-of-sea-of-blood” scene). While it offers nothing wholly original, its salvaged parts combine to produce an experience that is consistently better than anything its own heroes have produced. [April 2013, p70]
  3. Hyper Magazine
    Mar 28, 2013
    Despite occasional dissonance between narrative and game mechanics, Tomb Raider is a highly polished, highly accomplished reboot. Kudos, Crystal Dynamics. [Issue#235]