8.3

1. Apr 14, 2014
    I've never played the original games, and I honestly not sure if I would have ever gotten around to playing this one if it weren't for PS Plus. It's just not a series I have taken any previous interest in. Well all that changes with this latest entry. It's single-player makes for one of the best action experiences you'll find in gaming, and it's just an all around blast.

The game looks
    fantastic, and the voice acting and soundtrack are top-notch. The story is mostly well-done, and the characters emotions are believable, even if they aren't these aren't the smartest survivors out there. Even main character Lara Croft fails to recognize the obvious twists in the story until hours after they have been revealed. This is all forgivable when you're actually playing the game, taking in it's fantastic setting and atmosphere, and experiencing it's many awesome set-pieces.

Gameplay here is excellent. It clearly borrows from the Uncharted series, and rivals that series in many ways with it's excellent gunplay and platforming. Environments are filled with collectibles and other items to scavenge that you can use to upgrade your weapons. There are plenty of reasons to pull yourself away from the main quest for a little bit. Even doing things like hunting animals can gain you valuable XP that you can use to upgrade Lara's survival skills. With all the fun stuff that is going on, the story mode can be hard to put down. Sadly the same can't be said for the game's multiplayer, which is a truly buggy and unpolished experience.

With characters that glitch around the map, rough graphics, and severe balancing issues, this is the epitome of a good game with bad multiplayer. It feels unfinished and rushed, and conflicts are largely one-sided affairs where one side completely destroys another with no apparent reasoning. I had matches where my bullets would take out my opponents in a few hits, only to experience another match where it felt like I was shooting my opponents BB gun pellets. The multiplayer feels broken, and it in no way matches the extreme level of excellence that the campaign achieves. I was done with it after only a few matches, and I would have given the game a better score had multiplayer not been included at all.

Overall the majority of this game is incredibly impressive. From a technical standpoint it's gorgeous and plays perfectly. It's story mode is tight and a heck of a lot of fun. As long as you avoid the multiplayer you will have a blast with the game. This is one 3rd person action game with a story-mode that rivals even the work of the mighty Naughty Dog. Truly this is one you do not want to miss. I give it an 8.5/10-Great.
  2. Apr 2, 2014
    I agree with all the negative comments and the Fact that this is definitely Nathan Drake's twin sister, but it was fun and much more realistic than the previous TR, Ladies and Gentleman let the game-play and characters evolve. I loved using the bow.
  3. Mar 30, 2014
    Look at all the high scores from both users and reviewers, how is this possible? I'll tell you how, the hype for this mediocre game and the want to love this game has blinded everyone to how terrible this giant turd is. I bought the game and I did beat it, after a few hours or so, the feeling of guilt began to plague me. I knew I had made a bad purchase. I still kept playing though, telling and trying to convince myself that this game was actually good. I read the IGN review for this game, where the reviewer states that the tombs are actually challenging and that they will make you feel like you accomplished something!....Nothing could be further from the truth, those tombs are designed so that your average first grader can do in less than a minute. There is no gameplay at all in this mediocre cash cow for mindless drones that believe anything other people say. An enormous amount of handholding, a ton of QTE's, set pieces that play themselves. Uncharted has a good amount of set pieces, yet you still retain control of Nate, not in this game. In this game the set pieces play themselves and there is a lot of them. There is about 2-3 different kinds of bad guys with very very poor AI. People talk about stealth, but even the first MGS does it much much better. The game's hard difficulty is a joke, you'll even read a lot about that from the fanboys of this game. Post game content? Lol all the things to do after you beat this game for casual babies are totally uninspired and worthless. Lara is supposedly more realistic but that is far far from the truth. This 120LB woman makes Big Boss look relatively green. The supporting cast is so dead, so insipid, you might just want them to die. This game will provide no challenge for you at all, none whatsoever. The bad guys just love to throw molotovs at you, they are really fond of that. They love to stand next to exploding barrels so that you can end their pathetic lives all the much easier. The graphics are really nice, that is all this game has, nothing else. Don't be an idiot and disagree with this review. Just admit that you like sh**** games, it will make you a much much smarter person. This insipid, shallow, mediocre, uninspired, challenge lacking(to the most extreme) game gets a 4. Expand
  4. Mar 29, 2014
    I've always been a big fan of TR, since I was a child. I'm really disappointed by this game. This is not tomb raider. This is a horrible sequence of QTE and cut-scenes, with no tombs to raid. This game should be called Lara Uncharted or Female Uncharted. This is definitely not Tomb Raider. I want my money back.
  5. Mar 23, 2014
    I very much wanted to hate this game as to me it looked like a Uncharted Clone and im not the biggest fan of the story of uncharted was never that strong.

But the story is a lot stronger but not with out it's flaws. The gun/bow play is very enjoyable and the setting is lovely.

It defiantly worth a buy.
  6. Mar 23, 2014
    Best Tomb Raider game in the serie period. While it does looks a little "Uncharted-y", it's more open world that the game it copied on. The gameplay is great too.
  7. Mar 17, 2014
    Haven't played such a great game since Metal Gear Solid on PS1 !
    Great story, amazing gameplay controls
    Graphics are outstanding.
    Its a classic game and must have.
    Its not dull and repetitive like the old tomb raider games and not as frustrating controls.
    The story line is very engaging and fight scenes are very entertaining.
  8. Mar 15, 2014
    Tomb Raider is a adernaline filled origin story that never fails to exite in single player and frustrate in multiplayer. The single player of tomb raider is fantastic, although any character but Lara are boring and underdevolped speaking of Lara Camilla Ludington puts in a fantastic performance as the famous action heroine who adds starts as an scared lonely castaway to a confident survivor although some scenes like Lara''s first kill felt unneccesary as after she slo-mo kills three kills with not so much as a flinch. The gameplay in Tomb Raider is great, the combat is fantastic thanks to a great variety of weapons and gear but unlike the first Uncharted it feels more like skipping the cutscenes for the combat than the other way round. The first hour or so feels quite slow and filled with button mashing QTE's that feel out of place. The puzzles that made tomb raider famous return's here but without the bigger and more complex mechanisms and alot more hand holding like the new special ability "survival instincts" which highlights any objects that can be interacted with and just makes things easier. Tomb Raider's multiplayer is a glitchy mess that is no fun and should not be played by anyone. Tomb Raider provides thrills throughout but is bogged down by a broken multiplayer and underdevolped side characters.
    8.5/10
  9. Mar 15, 2014
    Tomb Raider lets us into the store of Lara Crofts origins, and her evolution from a mere adventurer to a true survivor, and of course, the tomb raider.

I must be honest here; when I first saw this game, I thought it was going to be dull and pretentious, another release of abhorrent mainstream trash that is constantly spewed our way by these so-called "developers". I was so wrong about
    that, and feel I must never judge a game by mere snippets of gameplay ever again.

You see, Tomb Raider is a big game. I'm saying this, and I haven't even touched the multiplayer yet. The story is expansive and rather detailed, certainly very captivating. There are many different collectibles to find, tombs to raid, and weapons to upgrade (oh yes; LOTS of upgrades). Let's start with the story.

Having washed up on the shores of Yamatai, an island infamous for it's tendency to swallow adventures whole, Lara is soon knocked down, and woken inside a dark, dreary cave. She must get out, and it's here that the game instantly gets to show off it's physics engine; ropes swing the way they should, fire burns the way it should, and Lara...well, Lara falls the way she should. Right into a jutting metal pole, in fact. This the beginning setup to a fantastic adventure throughout the island, to save her friends, and escape Yamatai, discovering secrets along the way.

As I just mentioned, the game features a fantastic physics engine, which is used to solve puzzles throughout the game, as well as bypass obstacles and eliminate foes. The game feels almost free, although you are enclosed in specific areas. Each area, however, has a good deal of things to collect and areas to explore, including tombs, which are effectively Tomb Raiders' little side puzzles, rewarding you with salvage (used to upgrade weapons) upon completion.

And with that, I will move onto the upgrade system. Each weapon in Tomb Raider has it's own set of upgrades, which not only enhance performance, but also change visually. Collecting weapon parts allow you to transfer your current weapon into something far more powerful, unlocking more upgrades along the way. You will start off with an old, flimsy bow, and end up with a deadly sports bow; an old Thompson can be transferred into a fully fledged assault rifle, and so on. It's not only the weapons with upgrades, but Lara herself can be upgraded, giving you new abilities, enhanced senses, and deathly new tactics to use in a firefight, this upgrades are more than just window shopping.

The combat is brutal, and the game is full of set pieces in which you must escape from falling bridges, collapsing planes, burning villages, and more. It also makes use of an uncharted-style climbing system, giving you a little break between gunning down foes and puzzling over challenges. This adds a vital diversity to the game, and it works.

Ultimately, Tomb Raider is the game you HAVE to buy if you have the money, and considering it's currently free on PS+, there has never been a more opportune time to give your survival reflexes a run. Flawless game.
  10. Mar 11, 2014
    Amazing game. Slightly ripped off Uncharted but I guess Uncharted ripped off Tomb Raider in the first place. Who cares the game is brilliant. Story may be a little clichéd, but it is engrossing and entertaining.

The weapon advancement and the character upgrading are very well done, gives you the addicts rush of "a little bit more and I'll turn it off" striving for another few bits of
    salvage or exp.

Getting this on PS+ was an added bonus. I do prefer this kind of game not to come with DLC that has to be pad for so only 9/10 if it was a no DLC game then 10/10
  11. Feb 21, 2014
    This is good games, the graphics are beautiful, the puzzles are stimulating, and the story was thrilling till the end. It was amazing seeing how Lara changed throughout the game.
  12. Feb 7, 2014
    I was never a big fan of the Tomb Raider series, but this reboot gives not only a origin story to Lara Croft, but adds new dynamic gameplay, which is just so much fun, I'm looking forward to other games.
  13. Jan 25, 2014
    This game just changed the Tomb Raider franchise forever. To be honest, I never really enjoyed the old games, they were a little cheap when it came to story and controls. But this game is just incredible, and has completely reinvigorated series. Graphics: 10/10 beautifully designed, this game just looks amazing, and balances grit, horror and beauty perfectly Story 10/10 The game's real strong point, the story is very moving and powerful, and it really does develop interesting characters. Rebooting Lara's character was a brilliant move, and the single setting made for a much better game that previous installments

Game play: 10/10
    The game play fuses platforming, exploration and third person shooter perfectly to give an enthralling and exciting game experience

Choosing to give Lara more... realistic... features was probably the best decision made in the development, and giving her genuine character, flare and strength was just brilliant. She goes from being an inexperienced but determined beginner to being a born survivor, and while the pace of her transformation isn't exactly realistic, the game does give a lot in the way of character development.

This game just changed the way people look at Lara Croft. From now on, I think we can expect gem after gem. Truly inspirational, and by far the best in the series.
  14. Jan 23, 2014
    Even though there are several gameplay issues, the one that grabs my attention more than any other would have to be the fact that Laura can't climb (jump) every available surface, She can use her tool to climb the walls and rocks but nothing for climbing over 5 foot fences or 4 foot desks. But other than a cliched beginning, it proved to get way better as you play the game. Once the game starts up, then it gets just unbelievable. There are several scenes that could be considered cliche, but the way that the developers designed certain levels and the graphics, along with the outstanding voice work, it becomes a great game. Just absolutely marvelous. At times, the game feels like an obvious GOTY nominee but it also has its faults. It's a really great game but it's just muffled by some weak areas. The story, I though could not have been better. It's just enthralling and picks up the pace beautifully. Also the graphics were some of the best that I've ever seen at the time, Now acknowledging that there are next gen systems that will play this game, I can say that it will probably be beautiful on PS4 and Xbox One. The game is great on PS3. but can't wait for the PS4 edition!! It's a near perfect game. Expand
  15. Jan 19, 2014
    I'm surprised in that the general rating given to TR somewhat underestimates it. I started playing this game with a mildly lowered expectation and I loved it. It's comparable to if not better than Uncharted (though short gameplay is the latter's main disadvantage). The story does not falter as it builds up, gameplay is great, the puzzles blend in nicely with its exploratory environment, and it evokes the archaeologist-on-mystery-adventure theme perfectly. I was surprised (due to the ratings) and pleased. I'm saddened only by the fact that I didn't have the opportunity to play and experience the previous Tomb Raider games (it was the movies that introduced me to the franchise), and with the release of PS4 it is unlikely that I'll experience further releases of the game. Expand
  16. Jan 18, 2014
    Truly a fantastic game. Maybe the best combat and gameplay this year. I enjoyed everything about this game and have absolutely no complaints. Although the story wasn't as strong as other titles this year, and the multiplayer is lacking, the gameplay, graphics, voice acting and Lara make up for it, and make this a top 5 game of 2013, and one of the most fun action adventure games I've ever played. One of the only games I actually wanted to go back and explore to collect everything and earn 100%. I wish it was longer, but with all the relics, GPS, and other items to collect, I got plenty of hours out of it. Expand
  17. Jan 17, 2014
    Tomb Raider needed to grow up, and I liked what they've done with the character, although the story itself is fairly bland and generic. The pre-rendered cutscene at the games beginning is ugly as well. It's a little too "AAA"-influenced by other games, but I liked the puzzles.
  18. Jan 9, 2014
    Ok, I am impressed.Just when I thought that I couldn't find a better game than U2 & U3 in ps3 console I played this game and I was thinking "is really Uncharted my favourite game?" I prefer U2 & U3 and probably the reason is that these two were the first epic games I played in this console.Lara Croft in this game was an excellent character.The environment was very good for explorations(open-world) and surely both realistic & beautiful.The gameplay was also very exciting (especially while in stealth mode with the bow or hand to hand combat).The story was also very interesting(keep in mind that the letters you will find in the game are important to understand the whole history of the game and the character's history and personality too).The atmosphere was also very good.I can't remember if the music was also good(actually I don't remember anything from the music of tomb raider).Tomb raider is one of the best games released in ps3 console up until today and it's in the top 4 favourite games I've ever played. Expand
  19. Jan 1, 2014
    Let me start by saying that I do know that a lot of development effort goes in to making just about any game, especially a AAA title. But all that effort is meaningless, I don't judge games on how hard they were to make I judge them on whether or not they were enjoyable to play, and this one just isn't fun. Some will say it's a franchise reboot, but I say slapping the "Tomb Raider" on a generic Uncharted rip-off does not a Tomb Raider game make! Tomb Raider pretty much started the 3D platforming adventure genre, it paved the way for titles like Uncharted, it let the world know that jumping over gaps was still fun in the 3D age so that we could have Prince of Persia Sands of Time. But now it's a mere imitation of the very titles it enabled, and a pale imitation at that.

If you're completely new to Tomb Raider then you may like this game. If you really like badly executed 3rd person shooters you will love this game. But if you were a fan of the original Tomb Raider on the PS1 then you will hate this game and everything it stands for.

CORRIDORS OF BOREDOM!!
    This game is the antithesis of TR. In the original you felt like you were exploring, sure you had an entrance point and an exit point but in between that there were places to explore, there were hidden bits of ammo and medi-kits that you might not find in years of replays I still find things today in the old Tomb Raiders! In this incarnation of TR you find yourself feeling very trapped in a narrow corridor looking through the invisible walls at scenery you can never explore.

CALL OF DUTY: TOMB RAIDER
    In the original TR there was plenty of shooting but it didn't feel like it was the objective, it was something you did on your way to your objective, and as you progressed through the game you found yourself fighting different enemies and actually employing a different strategy to beat them. Some enemies you back-flipped away from, some enemies you side-flipped left and right to dodge projectiles, some you ran around in circles in short you employed your limited set of movements in a surprisingly varied way. In this new TR you hide behind cover and pop up to shoot, you know, like Call of Duty but 3rd person... It doesn't even get fun with the bow.

The verdict: This game is the biggest pile of dog dirt you'll ever step in. If you want a game worth playing that makes use of a bow (and does the whole stealth thing really very damn well!) then get The Last Of Us, which is a spectacular game.
  20. Dec 17, 2013
    Great game, best Tomb Raider so far enjoyed playing this as much as The uncharted games which I've played all 3 and loved them all.Kept playing till I'd got all collectibles and reached 100%, which proves how good it is.
  21. Dec 13, 2013
    For me a great reboot for the series I liked it very much the story was ok the cutscenes were great as well as the graphics and the gameplay was very fun....all weapons were nice and you could use everyone with pleasure the platforming was good and the variety of melee attacks was good but i didnt really liked the feel of it i cant really describe it I loved the fact that lara becomes a badass step by step as the story evolves and the multiplayer is not very good but better than I exprctrd overall a great game that everyone should play!!! Expand
  22. Dec 7, 2013
    Tomb Raider is the reboot of the popular series dating back to the PS1 days. This reboot tells the story of how Lara Croft became the tomb raider she has been known for. The story has some balance issues, it tries to be cinematic like a movie and also tries to tell a dark, realistic tale. Besides Lara, the other characters lack development and interest. The game play balances well on the other hand, being cinematic and also "sort-of" open world. It also has a metroid/castlevania feel as certain sections are blocked off because you do not have the necessary equipment to get passed it. The multiplayer is bad, tacked on, and completely unnecessary. Only having 4 game modes and none of them are unique or fun in any way. I did not enjoy the story or care for the characters, but the game play is really fun, even though the multiplayer should have not even come with the game. Expand
  23. Nov 21, 2013
    If you expect to raid tombs in this game, this game is not for you. Yeah, I know. You would think Tomb Raider would be a game about raiding tombs and exploring the truth behind awesome legends and myths, like every previous Tomb Raider. Ah well, too bad for you.

If you expect to play with the iconic bad-ass heroine that is Lara Croft, this game is not for you. Oh, don't get me wrong,
    she is still named Lara Croft, but instead of being... well, Lara Croft, she is actually a whiny girl who does whatever her buds as her to do, because she must not have a mind of her own. And you know that promise they made, about this experience being the reason why she becomes the heroine we love and that in the end we would, in fact, get to see THE Lara we should have played with the entire game? You've guessed it. It is a load of bull-crap. She ends the game just as stupid minded as she begins. Do I feel betrayed? Utterly.

Needless to say at this point, if you expect the narrative to be an emotional ride that will leave you weeping but satisfied, this game isn't for you either. Tomb Raider (2013) is among the stupidest stories I've ever experienced in a video game... ever! And it suffers even further for taking it's bad narrative so seriously, to the point where it will make you laugh and flip off your screen at just how cringe worthy it is. (I honestly had to take a break for a few hours... it was like reading a terrible book, filled with more clichés, melodramatic moments, and plot holes than you could possibly handle except this one is in game-format.)

If you expect breathtaking music to go along the repetitiveness that is to shoot tons of men, solve a five second puzzle, and repeat, then this game isn't for you. Also, don't play this game without headphones you don't want anyone to think you're watching hardcore porn... or maybe you do. But that has nothing to do with me. You were warned though. (This means the voice acting is atrocious, by the way... and the gameplay too, unfortunately.)

And finally, if you expect this game to take your breath away with it's gorgeous graphics and the magnificent setting, then I guess this game is for you. The settings are simply beautiful, from the Japanese temples, to the forests... this is a VERY good looking game. Absolutely stunning. And that is why I've rated it a 4 just for how beautiful it is. It almost makes me cry that the setting was completely wasted in this game.

And that was all!
    By all means, play this if you want to, but you were warned.
  24. Nov 21, 2013
    Awesome graphics, a really convincing young Lara Croft and amazing gameplay result in a game you really shouldn't miss. It has a nice story, can be really challenging and comes up with riddles of which some can take their time to get solved. For me, the game was easily fun enough to try getting every relict and so on to complete it 100%.
  25. Nov 20, 2013
    Es el mejor Tomb Raider sin ninguna duda, la jugabilidad es exquisita, los gráficos son excelentes, el doblaje al castellano esta perfecto, la duración del juego puede ser de 28/25 horas. Lo que mas me gusto del juego es la exploración de los escenarios, las variedades de escenarios, la historia, que te engancha de principio a fin, en fin, un juego muy bueno a tener en cuenta. ¿Lo recomiendo? Si, totalmente, opta al juego del año sin ninguna duda. Expand
  26. Nov 15, 2013
    There are many game-play elements in TR 2013, but only one element was done well. TR contains cool moments in which you have to deal with situations that popping up only once during the game. Parachute steering for example. Everything else is mediocre and absolutely not challenging.
    1. Many liner levels.
    2. Puzzles are way too easy and not frequent.
    3. For the most part, just dull and
    alike caverns instead of tombs.
    4. It's not big deal to win a gunfight using only few covers. Sometimes even one cover is enough.
    5. Poor stealth mechanics.
    6. Absence of bosses. We have several mini-bosses which you can kill offhand. And I'm talking about hard difficulty level.
    7. Worst secrets in history of the TR. 100% hit is a piece of cake for the man who never find all of them in old installments.
    8. Casual parkour without deadly traps.

Visuals are good. Especially weather effects.

Story is weak. Cheap mix of LOST and British movie The Descent. Stereotypical characters with second-rate voice acting (especially documents).
    And why Lara can't dive underwater?
  27. Nov 14, 2013
    Graphics: Great looking environments, character models are very detailed, animals look realistic, this game looks amazing. 10.

Sound: Great voice acting, nice themes, environmental sounds are realistic (storm effect). 10.

Gameplay: The game play has been redefined and it really is better than any of the previous Tomb Raider games. Think of Uncharted but open world, and this is
    truly what makes this game shine. The weapons are great; the addition of the bow is fantastic, and fun to take out enemies with. There are collectibles everywhere which are addicting to go for. The tombs are really fun although it could use more of a challenge. The game has a Metroid Prime/Arkham (Batman) feel where in order to access some areas you need to get new equipment or upgrade it. You can hunt in the game which is useful for upgrades for weapons, along with salvaging. There are some stealth elements but they are not perfect, but it works. The multiplayer felt bland and uninteresting, and somewhat a low down version of the Uncharted games, but it’s still added value, and can be fun. 9.2.

Story: This is the weakest part of the game, it’s got a story that progresses well, but nearing the end it just falls apart or seems to be a basic story with no amazing twists, although there is some mystery at the middle. The characters are decent, some are annoying, some are forgettable, but overall it was a good story, and I enjoyed it. 8.5.

Replay Value: There’s tons of replay value, collectibles plus the game itself is ranging from 15-20 hours, and there’s an added multiplayer. 10.

Overall Score: 9.5 out of 10.
  28. Nov 2, 2013
    I was really enjoying this until a part where I had to fight my way through a rusted shanty town near a downed helocopter.Then the game devolved into a standard 3rd person shooter for a while with waves of enemies(on a lost and oh so mysterious isle)and it all went downhill from there and I lost interest within the hour.Maybe it returned to the high points of the adventure but I'll never know.
  29. ERB
    Nov 1, 2013
    What an incredible video game.Tomb Raider is totally a work of art or is a masterpiece.The world in this game is huge and the graphics are so cool.Hell there are many tombs in this game that are to be explored.The game play is also fun and even the storyline of this game is also good.Plus you can as always change Lara's outfit which is also great because all of Lara's outfit are darn good.Okay those are some of the good parts and here are the parts that are missing in this game.First of all after finishing the whole game there will be no more enemies to kill.I wish the enemies here are not limited.Second its almost not like a survival game because after she eats one deer there you go you don't need to eat anymore.Sometimes a video game character needs to eat more food.Finally the last one the most important one....there is no more Croft Manor!With the kind of graphics the game has it will be awesome if the manor is in this game.Well anyway this game is good.So for all of you Tomb Raider fans out there you must buy this game and play it. Expand
  30. Oct 28, 2013
    The attention to detail put into this game is stunning. The controls are spot-on solid, and I loved watching how Lara reacted to various traversals and environments so exploring was always welcome and wanted. The pacing is excellent and characters believable. One of the most fun games to play and easily recommendable to almost anyone.

1. Apr 11, 2013
    This reboot of the series not only surpassed my expectations, but it is easily one of the best games I have played in a long time. If you're like me and love story driven games that offer a great gaming experience then Tomb Raider is definitely for you.
  2. There’s no denying Tomb Raider is a heavily influenced work, both mechanically and aesthetically (its nods to Neil Marshall’s The Descent are so happy to be there at one point Lara even re-enacts the “girlrising-out-of-sea-of-blood” scene). While it offers nothing wholly original, its salvaged parts combine to produce an experience that is consistently better than anything its own heroes have produced. [April 2013, p70]
  3. Mar 28, 2013
    Despite occasional dissonance between narrative and game mechanics, Tomb Raider is a highly polished, highly accomplished reboot. Kudos, Crystal Dynamics. [Issue#235]