8.3

1. Apr 14, 2014
    I've never played the original games, and I honestly not sure if I would have ever gotten around to playing this one if it weren't for PS Plus. It's just not a series I have taken any previous interest in. Well all that changes with this latest entry. It's single-player makes for one of the best action experiences you'll find in gaming, and it's just an all around blast.

The game looks

The game looks fantastic, and the voice acting and soundtrack are top-notch. The story is mostly well-done, and the characters emotions are believable, even if they aren't these aren't the smartest survivors out there. Even main character Lara Croft fails to recognize the obvious twists in the story until hours after they have been revealed. This is all forgivable when you're actually playing the game, taking in it's fantastic setting and atmosphere, and experiencing it's many awesome set-pieces.

Gameplay here is excellent. It clearly borrows from the Uncharted series, and rivals that series in many ways with it's excellent gunplay and platforming. Environments are filled with collectibles and other items to scavenge that you can use to upgrade your weapons. There are plenty of reasons to pull yourself away from the main quest for a little bit. Even doing things like hunting animals can gain you valuable XP that you can use to upgrade Lara's survival skills. With all the fun stuff that is going on, the story mode can be hard to put down. Sadly the same can't be said for the game's multiplayer, which is a truly buggy and unpolished experience.

With characters that glitch around the map, rough graphics, and severe balancing issues, this is the epitome of a good game with bad multiplayer. It feels unfinished and rushed, and conflicts are largely one-sided affairs where one side completely destroys another with no apparent reasoning. I had matches where my bullets would take out my opponents in a few hits, only to experience another match where it felt like I was shooting my opponents BB gun pellets. The multiplayer feels broken, and it in no way matches the extreme level of excellence that the campaign achieves. I was done with it after only a few matches, and I would have given the game a better score had multiplayer not been included at all.

Overall the majority of this game is incredibly impressive. From a technical standpoint it's gorgeous and plays perfectly. It's story mode is tight and a heck of a lot of fun. As long as you avoid the multiplayer you will have a blast with the game. This is one 3rd person action game with a story-mode that rivals even the work of the mighty Naughty Dog. Truly this is one you do not want to miss. I give it an 8.5/10-Great.
  2. Mar 8, 2013
    This is a great reboot for the Tomb Raider Franchise. I rate it a high 8. Everything in the game is well done. The island is very atmospheric with its awesome weather effects. The controls are solid. Tomb raider takes pretty much something from every triple A franchise before it and implements it into its own design just as well as those franchises did. There's stealth elements thatThis is a great reboot for the Tomb Raider Franchise. I rate it a high 8. Everything in the game is well done. The island is very atmospheric with its awesome weather effects. The controls are solid. Tomb raider takes pretty much something from every triple A franchise before it and implements it into its own design just as well as those franchises did. There's stealth elements that feel like your playing a Splinter Cell game, combat and climbing that feels like Uncharted, bonfires from Dark Souls, brutal kills from Gears of War, etc. Everything is incorporated brilliantly while allowing Tomb Raider to still feel like its own game. The game starts off like the typical action adventure that you have played countless other times, but as you progress further and further into the game, the adventure starts opening up and throwing more variety and twists and turns at you. The game gets better and better as you move further into the adventure. An interesting note to make is that in relation to previous Tomb Raider games, this one is a lot more combat/action oriented than puzzle solving. This helps keep the games pace up, but old fans might be disappointed. The tombs are nowhere as cool as Uncharted's, but still a nice break from all the action. Also, finding the collectibles in the game adds a nice bit of challenge and reward for exploration. The reason, it doesn't get a 9 from me is that it never really does anything totally new or had me saying holy that was awesome! For every cool moment, there usually would be countless annoying deaths that followed which would mess up the feeling of excitement. And that's another big con for the game, there will be parts in this game that will piss the out of you, you will want to hurl your controller at the screen. The game starts off relatively easy to moderately easy but near the end gets annoyingly difficult and sometimes it's difficult to tell where to go or Lara just won't do what you want her to do. But overall, it's a huge accomplishment that the game is able to implement so many different features into its design so well for the first time and I'm looking forward to see what Crystal Dynamics can do with the next game. Expand
  3. Apr 27, 2013
    It's been a long and broken path for our favourite survivor, Lara Croft. She shone through all those years ago in the mid-90s when she came bursting onto the scene in all her pixeled glory. But a few mishaps and and misfire games all but tarnished the name that lets be honest, was a big reason most of us bought a PS1. When Crystal Dynamics took over they tried to bring Lady Croft into theIt's been a long and broken path for our favourite survivor, Lara Croft. She shone through all those years ago in the mid-90s when she came bursting onto the scene in all her pixeled glory. But a few mishaps and and misfire games all but tarnished the name that lets be honest, was a big reason most of us bought a PS1. When Crystal Dynamics took over they tried to bring Lady Croft into the HD world, but they just didn't click anymore with the fans.
    Then perhaps the biggest decision they ever had to make, how can they make a new game, but make it entirely different from the others? Why not go back to the beginning, all the way back to before Lara was the world renowned explorer with her dual pistols and clever attitude. Lets go right back, and they have did a remarkable job at rebooting not only the franchise, but also the character herself.
    We meet a 19 year-old Lara, who has convinced the descendants of a long lost kingdom of people, that the island they used to dwell in, Yamatai, may still exist. having been lost for years.
    Lara goes along with her friends and colleagues on an expedition to find the place, but a freak storm in the 'Dragon Triangle' near Japan has dire consequences for the team, as they are stranded on a deserted island...or so they think.
    The game really tells the story of just how Lara came to be how we remember her, and on this island she gets a pretty hard time of it before reaching that path of the beautiful and clever explorer.
    A strange group occupy the island, and Lara must fight her way through the men, who at one time attempt to rape her, and thus incurs her first, but certainly not last, kill of another human being.
    The game asks the player to guide Lara in her quest to rescue her friends and attempt to find a way off the island. Borrowing much of its style from Uncharted, Tomb Raider plays out as an almost non-linear style, where Lara must look for salvage to upgrade her weapons, find weapon parts for her bow, shotgun, rifle and of course her pistol. But the island of course isn't kind to our hero, wolves will attack you, guards are trying to kill you and the island itself is dangerous to be jumping around on. Lara must climb her up rugged and rough terrain, take down an enormous group of enemies, and solve the mystery as to why nobody has gotten off the dreaded island, but of course we cannot forget her actually exploring tombs either, and there are plenty to raid.The game takes plenty of twists and turns, outlining tragic events that Lara had to deal with to make her the battle-tested survivor she became.
    The island is beautiful to look at, and of course the animations of Lara and her journey through the island are exceptional, especially the button-mashing cinematics that have occupied many games now, but still work best in this and of course Uncharted.
    There are a few minor hiccups that I felt took away a little from having a fully enjoyable experience. Although the game offers plenty of exploration, it really would have benefited more from being an open-world adventure with linear aspects thrown in, the island is quite large, and to get back to various locations you have discovered you must fast-travel to an already discovered camp, I think it would have been a better option for the player to explore their surroundings on their way back, but don't get me wrong the area you are in is still vast enough to explore in, it just could have been more.
    The actions of Lara need to be brought up as well, although it comes to the point in the game where she knows she needs to do anything to survive, her abilities and actions at killing enemies with various methods sort of take away the fact that she felt such distain and vulnerability when slaying her first victim.
    But these minor speed bumps aside this is a much needed and welcome reboot to a franchise so dear to many people, something that started the gaming exploration, and a character as memorable as Lara has been done great justice in how her early years panned out.
    An excellent adventure and an unforgettable experience.
  4. Oct 16, 2014
    Neverending Cutscenes, scripted events, QTE. WTF is all this BS where is my game to game on? I don't want an interactive experience I want a game to game on.
  5. May 30, 2013
    Great from the moment it starts and stays great forever. A little bit of trial and error was annoying, but it doesn't happen too often. The graphics and presentation are some of the best. Like uncharted with a bit more of an open world and a darker tone. Some truly original abilities too, that are intuitive and easy to use. Like using the bow and arrow to create zip-lines. Just one ofGreat from the moment it starts and stays great forever. A little bit of trial and error was annoying, but it doesn't happen too often. The graphics and presentation are some of the best. Like uncharted with a bit more of an open world and a darker tone. Some truly original abilities too, that are intuitive and easy to use. Like using the bow and arrow to create zip-lines. Just one of those near perfect games. Expand
  6. Jan 23, 2014
    Even though there are several gameplay issues, the one that grabs my attention more than any other would have to be the fact that Laura can't climb (jump) every available surface, She can use her tool to climb the walls and rocks but nothing for climbing over 5 foot fences or 4 foot desks. But other than a cliched beginning, it proved to get way better as you play the game. Once the gameEven though there are several gameplay issues, the one that grabs my attention more than any other would have to be the fact that Laura can't climb (jump) every available surface, She can use her tool to climb the walls and rocks but nothing for climbing over 5 foot fences or 4 foot desks. But other than a cliched beginning, it proved to get way better as you play the game. Once the game starts up, then it gets just unbelievable. There are several scenes that could be considered cliche, but the way that the developers designed certain levels and the graphics, along with the outstanding voice work, it becomes a great game. Just absolutely marvelous. At times, the game feels like an obvious GOTY nominee but it also has its faults. It's a really great game but it's just muffled by some weak areas. The story, I though could not have been better. It's just enthralling and picks up the pace beautifully. Also the graphics were some of the best that I've ever seen at the time, Now acknowledging that there are next gen systems that will play this game, I can say that it will probably be beautiful on PS4 and Xbox One. The game is great on PS3. but can't wait for the PS4 edition!! It's a near perfect game. Expand
  7. May 5, 2013
    This might be my favorite game of this generation. Huge Uncharted fan but this bests it. Better combat and better platforming on top of a fun upgrade system. Not an open world game but much more open than the very linear Uncharted. Fun exploring looking for collectables. Great length of game that will keep you busy for a while. Multiplayer is kinda of slow and chunky but can be funThis might be my favorite game of this generation. Huge Uncharted fan but this bests it. Better combat and better platforming on top of a fun upgrade system. Not an open world game but much more open than the very linear Uncharted. Fun exploring looking for collectables. Great length of game that will keep you busy for a while. Multiplayer is kinda of slow and chunky but can be fun for a short burst but it isn't the draw of the game. Must buy!! Expand
  8. Mar 21, 2013
    It's like they have entered my mind and gave me the game I always wanted. In my honest opinion, this is an ALMOST perfect game. Think of it as Uncharted meets Far Cry 3 and you'll get a picture of what a great gaming experience this new birth of the TR franchise means. Lara is younger, very much younger, trailing the path to become the famous explorer. She is not confident, she's learning,It's like they have entered my mind and gave me the game I always wanted. In my honest opinion, this is an ALMOST perfect game. Think of it as Uncharted meets Far Cry 3 and you'll get a picture of what a great gaming experience this new birth of the TR franchise means. Lara is younger, very much younger, trailing the path to become the famous explorer. She is not confident, she's learning, she's suffering, gradually becoming the fearsome leonesse she'll eventually be. This game gives you everything. Stunning graphics, fluid gameplay, strong atmosphere, movie-like moments of tension, small bits of RPG (like leveling up and upgrading) and a big island to explore (FILLED with collectibles, by the way). I JUST CAN'T PUT THIS GAME DOWN. You know when you are playing a game and you keep feeling sorry that each hour you put in means it will eventually end? I don't want this game to end. It is THAT good. Although this is just March, in a year with a lot of promising releases, I already think Tomb Raider is one of the games of the year (if not THE game). Expand
  9. ERB
    Nov 1, 2013
    What an incredible video game.Tomb Raider is totally a work of art or is a masterpiece.The world in this game is huge and the graphics are so cool.Hell there are many tombs in this game that are to be explored.The game play is also fun and even the storyline of this game is also good.Plus you can as always change Lara's outfit which is also great because all of Lara's outfit are darnWhat an incredible video game.Tomb Raider is totally a work of art or is a masterpiece.The world in this game is huge and the graphics are so cool.Hell there are many tombs in this game that are to be explored.The game play is also fun and even the storyline of this game is also good.Plus you can as always change Lara's outfit which is also great because all of Lara's outfit are darn good.Okay those are some of the good parts and here are the parts that are missing in this game.First of all after finishing the whole game there will be no more enemies to kill.I wish the enemies here are not limited.Second its almost not like a survival game because after she eats one deer there you go you don't need to eat anymore.Sometimes a video game character needs to eat more food.Finally the last one the most important one....there is no more Croft Manor!With the kind of graphics the game has it will be awesome if the manor is in this game.Well anyway this game is good.So for all of you Tomb Raider fans out there you must buy this game and play it. Expand
  10. Sep 29, 2013
    When i first picked this game up over the summer my buddy who works at Gamestop told me this Man this game is amazing! It puts Uncharted to shame and its between this and Last of Us for Game of the Year! Now when my initial reaction when i heard that was yeah whatever haha it looks good but there is no way it'll put Uncharted to shame! Well now that i have beaten the game i can tell youWhen i first picked this game up over the summer my buddy who works at Gamestop told me this Man this game is amazing! It puts Uncharted to shame and its between this and Last of Us for Game of the Year! Now when my initial reaction when i heard that was yeah whatever haha it looks good but there is no way it'll put Uncharted to shame! Well now that i have beaten the game i can tell you that i was DEAD WRONG!! Tomb Raider is an absolutely amazing game that as much as it pains me to say it definitely puts Uncharted to shame! Everything in this game from the story to the graphics, the locations and the characters is all breathtaking. If you haven't played this title yet do yourself a favor and go pick it up! Without a doubt one of my contenders for game of the year Expand
  11. Nov 2, 2013
    I was really enjoying this until a part where I had to fight my way through a rusted shanty town near a downed helocopter.Then the game devolved into a standard 3rd person shooter for a while with waves of enemies(on a lost and oh so mysterious isle)and it all went downhill from there and I lost interest within the hour.Maybe it returned to the high points of the adventure but I'll never know.
  12. Mar 8, 2013
    Tomb Raider is a brilliantly crafted action/adventure game. Offering a directed experience, Tomb Raider is very cinematic, but it also features large environments within that allow you to explore, collect things, unlock pathways to new areas, etc. in the vein of the Metroidvania games. This is a very polished and beautiful game that deserves your attention. My one complaint are someTomb Raider is a brilliantly crafted action/adventure game. Offering a directed experience, Tomb Raider is very cinematic, but it also features large environments within that allow you to explore, collect things, unlock pathways to new areas, etc. in the vein of the Metroidvania games. This is a very polished and beautiful game that deserves your attention. My one complaint are some annoying quick-time events. Expand
  13. Nov 20, 2013
    Es el mejor Tomb Raider sin ninguna duda, la jugabilidad es exquisita, los gráficos son excelentes, el doblaje al castellano esta perfecto, la duración del juego puede ser de 28/25 horas. Lo que mas me gusto del juego es la exploración de los escenarios, las variedades de escenarios, la historia, que te engancha de principio a fin, en fin, un juego muy bueno a tener en cuenta. ¿LoEs el mejor Tomb Raider sin ninguna duda, la jugabilidad es exquisita, los gráficos son excelentes, el doblaje al castellano esta perfecto, la duración del juego puede ser de 28/25 horas. Lo que mas me gusto del juego es la exploración de los escenarios, las variedades de escenarios, la historia, que te engancha de principio a fin, en fin, un juego muy bueno a tener en cuenta. ¿Lo recomiendo? Si, totalmente, opta al juego del año sin ninguna duda. Expand
  14. May 30, 2013
    Entertaining and beautiful. Amazing action pieces and flow. The combat is great mix of stealth and action. Gameplay is similar to uncharted but even better(This is a big plus)! This is one of the best tomb raiders ever! Great way to begin Lara's journey.
  15. May 12, 2013
    Did naughty dog make this game? lol cause it's exactly like uncharted with added weapon upgrade, and other other upgrades. Saying that uncharted 2 is one of my favorite games of all times so I don't mind. What can I say this game has a little bit of everything, awesome cut scenes, good gameplay, good story, mini puzzles, etc. It was fun, and finding the collectibles were also a challengeDid naughty dog make this game? lol cause it's exactly like uncharted with added weapon upgrade, and other other upgrades. Saying that uncharted 2 is one of my favorite games of all times so I don't mind. What can I say this game has a little bit of everything, awesome cut scenes, good gameplay, good story, mini puzzles, etc. It was fun, and finding the collectibles were also a challenge to find. Don't let the awful slow beginning fool you, this game keeps you on the edge of your seat from the semi start to finish. Like some reviews said it best, it's uncharted with boobs. Expand
  16. Aug 6, 2013
    I'm currently on 65% to complete 1st walkthrough and I think there is nothing until end which can spoil this score. Game is awesome. Only bad thing is that it's little too easy.
    Story, game mechanics and everything else works just fine!

Feels like Tomb Raider meet Far Cry 3 and Uncharted!
  17. Nov 14, 2013
    Graphics: Great looking environments, character models are very detailed, animals look realistic, this game looks amazing. 10.

Sound: Great voice acting, nice themes, environmental sounds are realistic (storm effect). 10. Gameplay: The game play has been redefined and it really is better than any of the previous Tomb Raider games. Think of Uncharted but open world, and this is

Gameplay: The game play has been redefined and it really is better than any of the previous Tomb Raider games. Think of Uncharted but open world, and this is truly what makes this game shine. The weapons are great; the addition of the bow is fantastic, and fun to take out enemies with. There are collectibles everywhere which are addicting to go for. The tombs are really fun although it could use more of a challenge. The game has a Metroid Prime/Arkham (Batman) feel where in order to access some areas you need to get new equipment or upgrade it. You can hunt in the game which is useful for upgrades for weapons, along with salvaging. There are some stealth elements but they are not perfect, but it works. The multiplayer felt bland and uninteresting, and somewhat a low down version of the Uncharted games, but it’s still added value, and can be fun. 9.2.

Story: This is the weakest part of the game, it’s got a story that progresses well, but nearing the end it just falls apart or seems to be a basic story with no amazing twists, although there is some mystery at the middle. The characters are decent, some are annoying, some are forgettable, but overall it was a good story, and I enjoyed it. 8.5.

Replay Value: There’s tons of replay value, collectibles plus the game itself is ranging from 15-20 hours, and there’s an added multiplayer. 10.

Overall Score: 9.5 out of 10.
  18. Jun 13, 2013
    I really enjoyed this game and had a great time with it. It probably deserves a 9 but for me I finished it in 3 sessions and that is just too short. Playing this reminded me of when PS2 came out with God of War, this game has that same excitement and action the entire way through. The only exception to this was the start of the game I found it too easy and too much looking around for stuffI really enjoyed this game and had a great time with it. It probably deserves a 9 but for me I finished it in 3 sessions and that is just too short. Playing this reminded me of when PS2 came out with God of War, this game has that same excitement and action the entire way through. The only exception to this was the start of the game I found it too easy and too much looking around for stuff on the map. Thankfully the more you played the game the better the action became and also the story. This is a very clean game with no glitches and bugs and I would like to thank the software developers for releasing a game with no errors of any sorts. I did have a few cosmetic glitches but they were really minor. The upgrade paths to the weapons were fun but really they paced the game as to how to play the game. I both liked this and didnt. On one hand it made the game quite easy but on the other dampened the consequences of what you picked. All in all though the game was fantastic in terms of action so I can't really complain there too. My only complaint about the game really was I don't like to play games who rely on a dark setting to make the game difficult. I do understand this is an exploration game but the game relied on so many other games, all of which I enjoyed but I found the night time/creepy dark atmosphere in some scenes to just be annoying and give me a headache playing in the dark. I could have adjusted visual settings but it still ruins the set atmosphere. Overall I would recommend this game to everyone, it was finishable very easily but also very fun, non stop action pretty much all the way through. This game is well worth your time, it may be quite cut and paste/copycat but overall the entertainment value is definately worth the pricetag. Expand
  19. Apr 2, 2014
    I agree with all the negative comments and the Fact that this is definitely Nathan Drake's twin sister, but it was fun and much more realistic than the previous TR, Ladies and Gentleman let the game-play and characters evolve. I loved using the bow.
  20. Mar 17, 2013
    Up until now, I'd never played any of the "Tomb Raider" games, but after seeing a very generous review about it from a critic I appreciate, I decided to give it a try. And let me just say, it was nothing short of a highly satisfying experience. Influenced greatly by the infinitely superb "Uncharted" games, this new and rebooted treatment is not just a great game it's a great story. I gotUp until now, I'd never played any of the "Tomb Raider" games, but after seeing a very generous review about it from a critic I appreciate, I decided to give it a try. And let me just say, it was nothing short of a highly satisfying experience. Influenced greatly by the infinitely superb "Uncharted" games, this new and rebooted treatment is not just a great game it's a great story. I got immediately attached to Lara Croft and her comrades, intrigued by the mysteries of the island, and motivated not only to follow the main game story but complete the side tomb raiding missions and search for all sorts of hidden treasures and salvage. It's a very complete game and I loved playing every minute of it. Expand
  21. Mar 24, 2013
    This game exceeded all expectations, the graphics are really good, the controls are nearly perfect (after a few minutes) and the sound is top notch. The game starts out with way too many QTE's (in my opinion) and at certain points in the game I feel the story borderlines on absurdity (much like the grossly overrated uncharted series) but this is Lara Croft at her finest, never has a TombThis game exceeded all expectations, the graphics are really good, the controls are nearly perfect (after a few minutes) and the sound is top notch. The game starts out with way too many QTE's (in my opinion) and at certain points in the game I feel the story borderlines on absurdity (much like the grossly overrated uncharted series) but this is Lara Croft at her finest, never has a Tomb Raider game been this good. If your a fan of action games such as Uncharted then you should definitely pick this up. Expand
  22. Mar 10, 2013
    Wow this is by far the best Tomb Raider game yet.The game play is incredible the action is intense and the controls is as smooth as butter not forgetting the graphics it is stunning. The entire game is incredible you even have some very thrilling scenes a true survival game at it's very best. Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics did a brilliant no an excellent job in rebooting the tomb raiderWow this is by far the best Tomb Raider game yet.The game play is incredible the action is intense and the controls is as smooth as butter not forgetting the graphics it is stunning. The entire game is incredible you even have some very thrilling scenes a true survival game at it's very best. Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics did a brilliant no an excellent job in rebooting the tomb raider franchise. If you love action packed games filled with thrill and adrenaline then Tomb Raider is for you forget the negative reviews those people simply do not know what a good game is all about. Expand
  23. Feb 7, 2014
    I was never a big fan of the Tomb Raider series, but this reboot gives not only a origin story to Lara Croft, but adds new dynamic gameplay, which is just so much fun, I'm looking forward to other games.
  24. Jun 21, 2013
    Wants to be Uncharted so bad it's gelling it's hair and making (horrible) attempts at wise cracking jokes all the while failing to realize that no-one is gonna out do Naughty Dog at making an Uncharted game. Not a horrible game but it's not really good either. I kept getting lost, story was lackluster, didn't give two about the one dimensional characters (including Lara) and the combatWants to be Uncharted so bad it's gelling it's hair and making (horrible) attempts at wise cracking jokes all the while failing to realize that no-one is gonna out do Naughty Dog at making an Uncharted game. Not a horrible game but it's not really good either. I kept getting lost, story was lackluster, didn't give two about the one dimensional characters (including Lara) and the combat was soooo basic. The graphics are nice though, I'll give it that. Expand
  25. Jun 26, 2014
    This is the by far the best Uncharted game yet. My only real gripe is there is not enough tombs/puzzles. I feared it would end up being a **** interactive movie like the first 3 Uncharted games, but ended up besting all of them in almost every department. Okay, you got me- I never played the first one. After playing the 2nd and 3rd I know I never will. Yes, I do know this really isn'tThis is the by far the best Uncharted game yet. My only real gripe is there is not enough tombs/puzzles. I feared it would end up being a **** interactive movie like the first 3 Uncharted games, but ended up besting all of them in almost every department. Okay, you got me- I never played the first one. After playing the 2nd and 3rd I know I never will. Yes, I do know this really isn't an Uncharted game. Thank Christ for that. Expand
  26. Aug 8, 2013
    In general, how can I describe Tomb Raider? Yeah, its not perfect…but it’s damn close in my opinion and that is pretty amazing. Lara’s evolution in this game really brings out an aspect of her that was not there in the previous games, she’s human. The first installment of Tomb Raider in the new series is an extremely strong one and may even be a candidate for 2013′s Game of the Year.In general, how can I describe Tomb Raider? Yeah, its not perfect…but it’s damn close in my opinion and that is pretty amazing. Lara’s evolution in this game really brings out an aspect of her that was not there in the previous games, she’s human. The first installment of Tomb Raider in the new series is an extremely strong one and may even be a candidate for 2013′s Game of the Year.

FULL REVIEW AT: http://hapticzone.wordpress.com/page/2/
  27. Jul 20, 2013
    This is a really fun 3rd person action adventure game. If you take the story with a grain of salt you will have a good time. This is the first female character in a video game that I thought was pretty hot (can't believe i'm saying that). You have to throw out all of your previous TR knowledge and passion. This is a complete reboot. I can't wait until the next one. The game is pretty shortThis is a really fun 3rd person action adventure game. If you take the story with a grain of salt you will have a good time. This is the first female character in a video game that I thought was pretty hot (can't believe i'm saying that). You have to throw out all of your previous TR knowledge and passion. This is a complete reboot. I can't wait until the next one. The game is pretty short even on hard and you don't have to raid any tombs to complete the game which is kinda weird. But overall really fun, immersive sound and a hot chick killing bad guys. Expand
  28. May 19, 2013
    a complete refresh to the Tomb Raider franchise which was needed in my opinion more user friendly and a spectacular reboot great story gameplay soundtrack and design....... could have done without the multiplayer with a focus on maybe a few more tombs but none the less looking forward to more adventures in the future!!!!
  29. Aug 17, 2013
    Tomb Raider is simply a bunch of fun. The length of the game is satisfyingly long without being exhausting, and side features such as weapon upgrades, collectables, and above all, tombs, improve the quality of gameplay. In addition, the graphics are stunning and the story is certainly engaging.
  30. Mar 16, 2013
    As Tomb Raider was one of the first PS Games I've played in my life, I was really excited for this game, and the result didn't disapoint. Crystal Dinamics made a game that is as fun as addictive, and an epic new beginning for a saga that promises. Tomb Raider is exceptionally great.
    The story introduces us to an innocent Lara and his crew, looking for the lost kingdom of Yamatai. But as an awful storm sweeps them away to an unknown island, Lara must learn to survive as she is separated from his crew by some cruel inhabitants. The story, though it doesn't seem much of a Tomb Raider game, it's one of the best of the whole Tomb Raider saga, 96' and on. Lara's transformation from an innocent explorer to a survivor is incredible, though sometimes rushed. The relation between Gameplay and Story is not sublime. One time, Lara is hardly trying to open a deer's stomach. One second later, she is killing everything she finds. But such a small detail does not make the story a pain in the butt. Lara will discover the island's past throughout the game and it will catch us into the story as it gets more and more attractive (And more Croft) near the fantabulous ending, whose epicness is hard to describe. The game, also has some characters moments, but the lack of character development make us feel nothing for them. Let's put it this way: Someone dies, but as no background story or large talks with that character were introduced in the game, we hardly feel as Lara does. We just know she is sad, end of the story.
    One thing I have to praise to the game is the fantastic combat system. The problem with all the Tomb Raider games is that the gameplay is wonky, and sort of falls flat. But Tomb Raider enhances in a smooth way, with one of the best cover systems a video game could only wish for. The two signature guns from the previous games has changed for the 21st century most hyped weapon, The Bow. And Boy, is it good! Almost all guns are good here. And by collecting different things we will get two types of points: XP Points and Savage points. The last one is useful to upgrade our guns, and make them more lethal, silent or a chaos machine. The XP points are also important, as we can unlock different Finishes (Some kind of Fatalities) we can practice on our enemies, or even help us find the tons of collectibles that are hidden everywhere in the game. There are so many, that trying to complete the game a 100% without knowing anything will probably take a normal person around 30 hours of gameplay. There are also Optional Tombs filled with medium-difficulty puzzles that are extremely rewarding, but the greatest thing about the game is the "Uncharted" style Summer Blockbuster playable scenes where we have to avoid being crushed by a plain or escape an exploding bridge. The "Booms" and "Pows" of Tomb Raider really make it special.
    Now, one thing they could have copied from the successful Uncharted saga is the multiplayer, which is a little bit disappointing, but still is fun. This is mainly because of clunky servers and low resolution textures, because the map design is great and full of incredible ideas, though poorly executed. The "trap system", for example, seems more to be on your con side than on your favour. But...I don't care! Tomb Raider is not COD,...by that, I mean you don't buy it for the multiplayer. You buy it for the action-packed, exciting, epic and nerve-wracking campaign that lacks of replayability (At least you really like collectibles) but provides hours of fun the fans of the world's sexiest archaeologist needed. Tomb Raider is a 9.3, but as I don't have the authority to put that score, I will award it with a solid 9.
  31. Apr 6, 2013
    People want to compare it to the other Tomb Raider games, but this games has so much more depth than previous games and much better gameplay. Not every single previous Tomb Raider game was good, and there was a need for Lara and her story to be re-envisioned. Great graphics, this games is exciting and the engrossing. Only set-back was that it felt there was something lacking in thePeople want to compare it to the other Tomb Raider games, but this games has so much more depth than previous games and much better gameplay. Not every single previous Tomb Raider game was good, and there was a need for Lara and her story to be re-envisioned. Great graphics, this games is exciting and the engrossing. Only set-back was that it felt there was something lacking in the story line and characters. The game does sometimes feel like you are playing a version of Uncharted, but only in certain instances or parts of the game which does take away from it at times. Expand
  32. Apr 14, 2013
    Tomb Raider is FarCry 3 Uncharted 3 blended together.
    Tomb raider has that simple awesome upgrade system. A surviving story that in my opinion beats FarCry 3 story.
    Tomb Raider had few cool puzzles in tombs to solve. In fact the whole game play is full of simple surviving puzzles. I loved the story, loved documents and relics collecting with the documentary about each one. I give this
    Tomb Raider is FarCry 3 Uncharted 3 blended together.
    I give this 9 .5 because Multiplayer isn't really as good as the game.
  33. Feb 21, 2014
    This is good games, the graphics are beautiful, the puzzles are stimulating, and the story was thrilling till the end. It was amazing seeing how Lara changed throughout the game.
  34. Mar 8, 2013
    I hate to compare this to uncharted, but it is all most impossible, but this should be seen as a complement. This game does every Uncharted does, and in my opinion much better. The story is great, and it had me interested from beginning to end, Lara is played brilliantly well, even if her transition from average girl to full blown badass is jarring. It plays great, the combat, to myI hate to compare this to uncharted, but it is all most impossible, but this should be seen as a complement. This game does every Uncharted does, and in my opinion much better. The story is great, and it had me interested from beginning to end, Lara is played brilliantly well, even if her transition from average girl to full blown badass is jarring. It plays great, the combat, to my surprise is very enjoyable. The cover system is one of the best I have seen, it's seamless and never slows down the action, the guns and bow feel great. The platforming is simple, and not to challenging, but none the less it's still fun and make for some really great cinematic moments. The game defiantly is not as puzzle heavy as the previous game, but there are puzzles, and they are fun. The game looks fantastic, full of colour, varied environments and never noticed texture pop in, frame rate slows down sometime but never enough to ruin the experience.But Multiplayer is bad a poor man uncharted Expand
  35. Oct 24, 2013
    I should point out before I start that my score is lower for this game then I expected it to be. I had high expectations since the critic reviews for this game were so positive and unfortunately, I feel a bit let down. This game is very good but I just didn't enjoy it as much as many did. Firstly, I feel like it is too similar to Uncharted. There are action set pieces everywhere, youI should point out before I start that my score is lower for this game then I expected it to be. I had high expectations since the critic reviews for this game were so positive and unfortunately, I feel a bit let down. This game is very good but I just didn't enjoy it as much as many did. Firstly, I feel like it is too similar to Uncharted. There are action set pieces everywhere, you slaughter more enemies then you could possibly count and there is even a supernatural element. Perhaps I was comparing it to Uncharted too much but I think the similarities are too frequent and obvious to be ignored. Lara and Drake are extremely similar, they both have a superhuman jump length, both are capable of taking extreme pain and both are capable of taking on 100s of enemies. The difference is that whereas Uncharted is more lighthearted and fun, Tomb Raider is being much darker and serious which I think lets it down. I could love Uncharted for all of its flaws because it doesn't take itself too seriously., one of these being pain tolerance. Lara goes through hell in the first 5 minutes of the game after surviving a shipwreck, fire, being impaled, attacked by animals and numerous falls but I can't accept this like a could in Uncharted because one of the main plot points is about Lara becoming a survivor on this island. The island made her stronger emotionally yes, but when trying to tell a mature story with someone who is almost invulnerable from the start who should be dead, it becomes difficult to accept.

The gameplay itself is fine though, with lots of variety, weapon upgrades and really fun puzzles. I just think that It doesn't suit the story well, or more the story doesn't suit the gameplay well.
  36. Mar 30, 2013
    WARNING:HARDCORE TOMB RAIDER FANS MAYBE DISAPPOINTED BY THIS REBOOT OF THE SERIES...I REPEAT THE KEY WORD IN THIS SENTENCE.......REBOOT PEOPLE!! Now I usually start with the good but I want to get the bad out of the way first so here it is...THIS IS NOT BADASS...BACKFLIPING...HANDSTAND CLIMBING...DUEL PISTOL WEILDING...DINOSAUR KILLING...BEAR SLAUGHTERING....TOMB RAIDING...FEARLESS SHE GODWARNING:HARDCORE TOMB RAIDER FANS MAYBE DISAPPOINTED BY THIS REBOOT OF THE SERIES...I REPEAT THE KEY WORD IN THIS SENTENCE.......REBOOT PEOPLE!! Now I usually start with the good but I want to get the bad out of the way first so here it is...THIS IS NOT BADASS...BACKFLIPING...HANDSTAND CLIMBING...DUEL PISTOL WEILDING...DINOSAUR KILLING...BEAR SLAUGHTERING....TOMB RAIDING...FEARLESS SHE GOD we grew up with.She's A SNOT NOSED...CO-DEPENDENT...SCARY ASS CRYBABY WHO QUICKLY GETS ON YOUR NERVES. I must admit as a tomb raider fan i was shocked at how weak and vulnerable she was..that she needed constant reassuring! I didn't like that killing animals who were frolicking for food was necessary for xp vs killing animals because THEY ATTACKED YOU in previous tomb raider games were now the status quo......um....where's the swimming segments in this game? Wait...shes on an Island but cant swim? What happened to the tombs? Remember raiding HUGH tombs? Its here but they are EXTREMELY SHORT AND EVEN EASIER TO NAVIGATE AND COMPLETE WITH PUZZLES DESIGNED TO CHALLENGE A SEVEN YEAR OLD KID! Wait it gets worse....THE DREADED QTE ELEMENTS ARE HERE....WATERING DOWN MY PRECIOUS TOMB RAIDER?? NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! From the beginning the qte scenes are there...ready to take control from the player and force them to complete certain parts of the game the way they want you to instead of you completing it the way you want...the end boss? A QTE GAMEPLAY STEALING NIGHTMARE WHICH QUICKLY TURNS INTO AN ANTI-CLIMACTIC SCENE..I wish I could have fought him myself but I was disappointed that I had no direct control over the final fight of the game. Lets not forget about the hand holding...I hate to agree with some of the other reviewers but it constantly takes away the strategy aspect of the game because if you do get stuck you can either wait for lara to gives you the clue you need(this was in TB underworld but was optional)or just press L2 and the game highlights your objective which takes away ALL STRATEGY!! For these aforementioned....this is NOT your average tomb raider game or tomb raider at all..it also suffers from a few bugs...one enemy approached me and he disappeared but his weapon was still visible..and the game froze on me more than twice when a lot was going on on the screen like at the end when you fight the storm guard...it froze because of all the enemy's and explosions happening at once.she also doesn't wield dual pistols until the end(qte scene steals gameplay). Oh and the multiplayer was not only tacked on to say hey everyone we have multiplayer!!' feel to it... but just wasn't fun because honestly...this game..like uncharted or dead space or any other third person game like the ones mentioned DO NOT NEED MULITPLAYER!! When I get God of War ascension I wont play multiplayer just like I didn't with dead space 2 and 3...uncharted 2 and 3 but I tried it here and didn't like it. Now the good: The addicting story! I gotta say that even though lara was scared out of her mind and co dependent I really liked the new lara(once I gave it a chance that is) the yamati island changed lara but before that I felt a connection for her and as such...I cared about lara when I played tomb raider.the island is Hugh and even though its linear in its approach there's still a ton to do given the size of the locations of the area's she visits like the gps search..various relics and treasures...audio books on the shipwrecked crew including lara and the islands inhabitants as well as the queen and the storm guard. Its linear in its design but remarkably deep and covers a wide range of different aspects of the island so thanks for that crystal dynamics. The graphics are amazing but sometimes things in the distance start to become transparent but it doesn't take away from the experience at all....I just love the tower lara's in and has to bring down a giant bell!! The wind looks amazing as it makes Swiss cheese of the wooden tower!! The weapons are a joy to use as each gun...hand gun(single) shotgun..Ak47 with grenade launcher are upgraded and I gotta say...its worth it but the show stealing bow is easily the best and most unique weapon(my fav by the way) need to get to that far cliff? Use the rope and bow combo Need to burn that high up net? Equip the fire tip arrows. Want to explode your enemies but don't want to use the ak47/grenade launcher combo? Don't worry the bow and arrow has you covered!! Tomb raider isn't without its flaws but this is a great action adventure game that's only for people willing to accept change...which isn't all bad just let us swim in the next game and PLEASE DO NOT ADD QTE SCENES AND HAND HOLDING TYPE GAMEPLAY!! The adventure is here...the exploration is here...tomb raiding(though small and lack complexity) is here and the combat is phenomenal(you use a hiking tool in battle) and so are the executions lara performs!! I give tomb raider a solid 8 out of 10 for its gameplay..graphics...and story..welcome back lara!! Expand
  37. Mar 31, 2013
    ths game was really amazing! Close to uncharted but definitely not as good as! it lacked a little mystery and the voice over for Lara was sometimes annoying. Besides those problems it was a beautiful experience! macnificent visuals!Thank you Crystal dynamics and square enix!
  38. May 5, 2014
    The reboot combines elements of the old franchise, Uncharted and even Farcry to make an epic game. The graphics are lush and the puzzles are just hard enough to keep you trying again and again. Combat is frustrating at times but is more accessible than the Uncharted combat. The multiplayer is poor but this game is not about MP. I was lucky enough to get this 'free' with plus. AwesomeThe reboot combines elements of the old franchise, Uncharted and even Farcry to make an epic game. The graphics are lush and the puzzles are just hard enough to keep you trying again and again. Combat is frustrating at times but is more accessible than the Uncharted combat. The multiplayer is poor but this game is not about MP. I was lucky enough to get this 'free' with plus. Awesome stuff. The only downside is having to wait for the sequel. Expand
  39. Mar 5, 2013
    Oh wow this game is simply stunning! I've been a fan of Tomb Raider ever since I played the original on my very first computer. Through the years I haven't spent much time with Laura but I'm back for this one and its the best one to date. Everything about this game is a work of art. The gameplay is fluid and looks so beautiful. Let me emphasize on BEAUTIFUL!!! Best game of the year so far.Oh wow this game is simply stunning! I've been a fan of Tomb Raider ever since I played the original on my very first computer. Through the years I haven't spent much time with Laura but I'm back for this one and its the best one to date. Everything about this game is a work of art. The gameplay is fluid and looks so beautiful. Let me emphasize on BEAUTIFUL!!! Best game of the year so far. The multiplayer is pretty good and it will get better. They have a lot behind this so they will fix it and it will be loved by most. Either way its a game worth checking out. I'm a happy guy! Expand
  40. Mar 15, 2013
    A great and much needed reboot to the Tomb Raider series has rejuvenated the franchise with this very successful game by Crystal Dynamics, The action of the game is extremely fun and using the bow feels very good, upgrading your weapons over the course of the game is very cool, however the skill perk system is generic with a few exceptions. The story is good showing the growth of LaraA great and much needed reboot to the Tomb Raider series has rejuvenated the franchise with this very successful game by Crystal Dynamics, The action of the game is extremely fun and using the bow feels very good, upgrading your weapons over the course of the game is very cool, however the skill perk system is generic with a few exceptions. The story is good showing the growth of Lara Croft from innocent explorer to strong survivor, Lara's character is very good but her ship mates are pretty much stereotypes and are not very interesting. Tomb Raider provides a great reboot to a long running franchise with one of the most iconic characters in gaming, It's gritty, fun and will keep you hooked from beginning to end, If you have played the Uncharted series the gameplay is very similar with both being pretty much the same quality combat wise. Pick this game up, It's one of the best games of 2013 so far. Expand
  41. Nov 24, 2014
    I wanted to like this game a little bit more, I really wanted, but something in this game doesn't "click" with me. Amazing graphics, amazing atmosphere, amazing voice acting and amazing soundtrack. The gameplay also is vastly improved from previous games. The logical puzzles are far more easy to figure out, but there's too much shooting and too little exploration or jumping puzzles. AndI wanted to like this game a little bit more, I really wanted, but something in this game doesn't "click" with me. Amazing graphics, amazing atmosphere, amazing voice acting and amazing soundtrack. The gameplay also is vastly improved from previous games. The logical puzzles are far more easy to figure out, but there's too much shooting and too little exploration or jumping puzzles. And the story, although gritty, it just feels... bland. The characters are empty, with the exception of Lara. The campaign is too short and the multiplayer is BORING. No way it's a bad game, it's just... not exactly there. It wants to be so much more, but it falls short. Expand
  42. Oct 6, 2013
    Highly overrated game. It's just a poor mans uncharted. Graphics are stunning, and for the first hour or so the game play is fairly enjoyable. But then it's just Lara vs about 20 guys over and over, with the developers seemingly running out of creative ideas for these set pieces other than throw in a couple more baddies or giving them better weapons. The strategy is same and repetitiveHighly overrated game. It's just a poor mans uncharted. Graphics are stunning, and for the first hour or so the game play is fairly enjoyable. But then it's just Lara vs about 20 guys over and over, with the developers seemingly running out of creative ideas for these set pieces other than throw in a couple more baddies or giving them better weapons. The strategy is same and repetitive through out, little to no variation of how to approach each set piece. Bravo to those that finished the game, because boredom sets in about a third of the way through when puzzles and platforming become minimal and replaced with mind numbing boring duck and cover shooting that has been done to death on this generation of consoles. Expand
  43. Mar 15, 2014
    Tomb Raider lets us into the store of Lara Crofts origins, and her evolution from a mere adventurer to a true survivor, and of course, the tomb raider.

I must be honest here; when I first saw this game, I thought it was going to be dull and pretentious, another release of abhorrent mainstream trash that is constantly spewed our way by these so-called "developers". I was so wrong about that, and feel I must never judge a game by mere snippets of gameplay ever again.

You see, Tomb Raider is a big game. I'm saying this, and I haven't even touched the multiplayer yet. The story is expansive and rather detailed, certainly very captivating. There are many different collectibles to find, tombs to raid, and weapons to upgrade (oh yes; LOTS of upgrades). Let's start with the story.

Having washed up on the shores of Yamatai, an island infamous for it's tendency to swallow adventures whole, Lara is soon knocked down, and woken inside a dark, dreary cave. She must get out, and it's here that the game instantly gets to show off it's physics engine; ropes swing the way they should, fire burns the way it should, and Lara...well, Lara falls the way she should. Right into a jutting metal pole, in fact. This the beginning setup to a fantastic adventure throughout the island, to save her friends, and escape Yamatai, discovering secrets along the way.

As I just mentioned, the game features a fantastic physics engine, which is used to solve puzzles throughout the game, as well as bypass obstacles and eliminate foes. The game feels almost free, although you are enclosed in specific areas. Each area, however, has a good deal of things to collect and areas to explore, including tombs, which are effectively Tomb Raiders' little side puzzles, rewarding you with salvage (used to upgrade weapons) upon completion.

And with that, I will move onto the upgrade system. Each weapon in Tomb Raider has it's own set of upgrades, which not only enhance performance, but also change visually. Collecting weapon parts allow you to transfer your current weapon into something far more powerful, unlocking more upgrades along the way. You will start off with an old, flimsy bow, and end up with a deadly sports bow; an old Thompson can be transferred into a fully fledged assault rifle, and so on. It's not only the weapons with upgrades, but Lara herself can be upgraded, giving you new abilities, enhanced senses, and deathly new tactics to use in a firefight, this upgrades are more than just window shopping.

The combat is brutal, and the game is full of set pieces in which you must escape from falling bridges, collapsing planes, burning villages, and more. It also makes use of an uncharted-style climbing system, giving you a little break between gunning down foes and puzzling over challenges. This adds a vital diversity to the game, and it works.

Ultimately, Tomb Raider is the game you HAVE to buy if you have the money, and considering it's currently free on PS+, there has never been a more opportune time to give your survival reflexes a run. Flawless game.
  44. Aug 27, 2013
    as a woman i am appalled that they keep using hot chicks in video games. just kidding! yep she's still hot, the gameplay is still outstanding. the graphics for this title are gorgeous and the plot is actually the best in the entire series. very emotional, not just a suspense-drivel plot. (there is also suspense of course.)
  45. Dec 7, 2013
    Tomb Raider is the reboot of the popular series dating back to the PS1 days. This reboot tells the story of how Lara Croft became the tomb raider she has been known for. The story has some balance issues, it tries to be cinematic like a movie and also tries to tell a dark, realistic tale. Besides Lara, the other characters lack development and interest. The game play balances well on theTomb Raider is the reboot of the popular series dating back to the PS1 days. This reboot tells the story of how Lara Croft became the tomb raider she has been known for. The story has some balance issues, it tries to be cinematic like a movie and also tries to tell a dark, realistic tale. Besides Lara, the other characters lack development and interest. The game play balances well on the other hand, being cinematic and also "sort-of" open world. It also has a metroid/castlevania feel as certain sections are blocked off because you do not have the necessary equipment to get passed it. The multiplayer is bad, tacked on, and completely unnecessary. Only having 4 game modes and none of them are unique or fun in any way. I did not enjoy the story or care for the characters, but the game play is really fun, even though the multiplayer should have not even come with the game. Expand
  46. Mar 23, 2014
    Best Tomb Raider game in the serie period. While it does looks a little "Uncharted-y", it's more open world that the game it copied on. The gameplay is great too.
  47. Apr 4, 2013
    This game has so many explosions you would think you were watching a Michael Bay film. I'll let you decide if that is a good thing or not. This particular Tomb Raider puts exploration on that back burner and focuses on cinematic set pieces full of daring jumps and big explosions. While everything is executed very well, I miss those exploration elements that cause you to stop and think.This game has so many explosions you would think you were watching a Michael Bay film. I'll let you decide if that is a good thing or not. This particular Tomb Raider puts exploration on that back burner and focuses on cinematic set pieces full of daring jumps and big explosions. While everything is executed very well, I miss those exploration elements that cause you to stop and think. They do present themselves a few times but these moments are rare. The combat is enjoyable and better than any previous Tomb Raider but still starts to wear thin about half way through the game. Even with the generic combat and lack of exploration, the interesting story and strong visuals should be enough to keep you playing through to the end. Expand
  48. Jun 27, 2013
    This is the first Tomb Raider game that I've ever played because Lara Croft's character just always seemed too cartoonish for me. This reboot, though, is really amazing. Croft's character is one that you instantly care about and the gameplay is exciting and polished. Also, this game actually makes using a bow fun, unlike other's who have attempted to incorporate the weapon.
  49. Mar 6, 2013
    Great game. Beautiful and awesome environments and I love the exploration aspect of the game. Its among the best action/adventure games on the PS3 but this game is a little more open world while also keeping you engaged and right in the action. Plus the score is amazing, such beautiful music.
  50. Jan 17, 2014
    Tomb Raider needed to grow up, and I liked what they've done with the character, although the story itself is fairly bland and generic. The pre-rendered cutscene at the games beginning is ugly as well. It's a little too "AAA"-influenced by other games, but I liked the puzzles.
  51. May 5, 2013
    yes lara croft is back finaly and she is very hot you begon the game awesom and you end it the game has 3 things climming shooting and puzzeling and its all in there like i wound it so why dont i give it a 10 becouse its just another game that is so short you can do so many things but the story is like 14 hours poeple say that is pretty long no but you can explor so much you can be bussyyes lara croft is back finaly and she is very hot you begon the game awesom and you end it the game has 3 things climming shooting and puzzeling and its all in there like i wound it so why dont i give it a 10 becouse its just another game that is so short you can do so many things but the story is like 14 hours poeple say that is pretty long no but you can explor so much you can be bussy like 25 hours so okay thats good further its not like uncharted like every buddy says just a litle but uncharted is to like tomb raider ride than you got the mp that fun for some hours its not that good its fun for like 4-5 hours than its don fore the mp but its all obout the single player in this game right Expand
  52. Mar 6, 2013
    Tomb Raider's emphasis of the polished, emotive, story-driven campaign is so wonderfully refreshing amidst a sea of shallow Medal of Duty Warfighter Ops multiplayer driven titles. Not only is the game drop dead gorgeous, it's controls are tight and fluid, the gameplay is slick with tons of angles and the scavenging for upgrades is addictive and ads a ton of depth. This is a brand new LaraTomb Raider's emphasis of the polished, emotive, story-driven campaign is so wonderfully refreshing amidst a sea of shallow Medal of Duty Warfighter Ops multiplayer driven titles. Not only is the game drop dead gorgeous, it's controls are tight and fluid, the gameplay is slick with tons of angles and the scavenging for upgrades is addictive and ads a ton of depth. This is a brand new Lara Croft, a stunningly beautiful one that I hope to see a lot more of in the future. I've only given a couple of titles a 10/10 in my PS3 gaming career and this one is ever so close with a 9.5+. Don't even think about it.. Buy this game today. IMHO, the best of 2012 2013. Expand
  53. Jun 19, 2013
    This was a really good game. It finally made me like Lara Croft and Tomb Raider games. It had good game-play, a good story, pretty graphics, and a cool island to explore. The only thing i was disappointed with was the fact I wanted it to last longer. I wanted more tombs to raid, more weapons to find and collect, to upgrade, more of everything. Instead of the crappy mulitplayer they gave us.
  54. Jul 6, 2013
    Never played any other Tomb Raider. Figured the this title would be a good starting point. Was a lot like a female version of the Uncharted games. Really enjoyed the story and the survival tactics used in the game.
  55. Mar 5, 2013
    Anything less than a 9 is pure hate. This game is incredible and took me by surprise. It's actually nothing like any of the other TRs. Although this game steals elements from other games which is pretty obvious, it's still in a class of its own. Definitely worth buying.
  56. Mar 7, 2013
    Let me start by saying I was never I huge fan of the old tomb raider games in the past,and I never really got involved with tomb raider or Lara Croft since the series first appearance on PlayStation 1,I always thought they where to hard and just plain Boring...But now in 2013 with the release of this AMAZING Reboot,all I can say is that this is the Best game ever created.the graphics areLet me start by saying I was never I huge fan of the old tomb raider games in the past,and I never really got involved with tomb raider or Lara Croft since the series first appearance on PlayStation 1,I always thought they where to hard and just plain Boring...But now in 2013 with the release of this AMAZING Reboot,all I can say is that this is the Best game ever created.the graphics are some of the best I've ever seen(even beating the uncharted series in that sense).the music,voice acting and controls are superb.the game is going to keep you on the edge of you're seat, Tomb Raider is in plain words a masterpiece that gives the Uncharted series a run for it's money.Well done Crystal Dynamics and Square Enix I'm now a Fan of Tomb Raider.the multi player is okay just not perfect,besides that weakness Tomb Raider 2013 is INCREDible.go get it you won't regret it. Expand
  57. Mar 12, 2013
    It's Uncharted with a girl. Which could be fine --unless you were looking forward to raiding tombs. Fans of quicktime events and enemies to gun-down are in for a treat. (for a "girl-becomes-a-women" origins-shtick, she sure murders a lot). Now, If you wanted to solve puzzles and again raid-tombs, then well...
  58. Mar 6, 2013
    This new Tomb raider is dirty, beautiful and shocking and Lara really shines in this game!
    Set pieces will make you're jaw drop and keep you at the edge of your seat the whole time!
    Game is amazing and you should get this now!
  59. Apr 26, 2013
    This new Tomb Raider is the best Tomb Raider that you can get it´s over 10 times better than Underworld, Legend or Anniversary.It has the perfect story and the perfect control scheme having a touch of Arkham City, Uncharted and Assassin´s Creed
  60. Mar 9, 2013
    Tomb Raider is indicative of modern gaming these days, and while that in itself is hardly a criticism, it does commit the same glaring and obvious issues as games from this generation. For instance: (a) Too much focus on quick time events. (b) Simplistic puzzles (Puzzles were a halmark of the the first Tomb Raider games, yet here... they're simple and merely a time-sink) (c) Less emphasisTomb Raider is indicative of modern gaming these days, and while that in itself is hardly a criticism, it does commit the same glaring and obvious issues as games from this generation. For instance: (a) Too much focus on quick time events. (b) Simplistic puzzles (Puzzles were a halmark of the the first Tomb Raider games, yet here... they're simple and merely a time-sink) (c) Less emphasis on exploration and tomb raiding (d) cardboard characters and one dimensional villains (can we please move away from this lazy writing) (e) lazy writing. Expand
  61. Mar 9, 2013
    I rented this game and what I have to say is that this is a pretty good action/adventure game, the combat feels good, the environments are good and there's plenty of generic humans to kill which gets old and boring very fast.
    But this is a awful Tomb Raider game, just awful, I wish it was never made. There is nothing, absolutely nothing what so ever in this game that made me a Tomb Raider fan back in the 90s, no dino killing, no dragon slaying, no back flip shooting, no swimming and no dual wielding handguns, all I'm doing in the sack of game is shooting human after human after human after human after human and it is just pathetically boring. I never finished the game because I just got bored. Worst of all, I'll never ever love or respect Lara Croft ever again, I loved Lara as the unbeatable badass babe who could hold her own against monsters and dinosaurs, but now she's a pathetic man needing baby who has become just downright annoying with her crying, moaning and screaming.

I'll never play Tomb Raider again if it continues in this bull**** direction. 4.5/10

One of my most boring games of 2013.
  62. Mar 8, 2013
    After so many bad dates with her sequels, Lara has regained my respect and affection.
    This game is just incredibly fun, i.e., the joy of exploration and discovery; acrobatic
    maneuvering; and a beautiful, detailed world. Despite some over-drawn characters, the narrative is constantly suspenseful and the pacing is exemplary. Combat is surprisingly GOOD(better than Uncharted) but too
    GOOD(better than Uncharted) but too many enemies too many times mindlessly rush in.
    Another minor concern for me is the too small window of time for some of the QTE prompts.
    Are they really needed? Lastly, one of the great strengths of Tomb Raider is that it challenges
    the mind as well as the thumbs. Personally, I'd like to see even more puzzles incorporated in
    the next game.
  63. Mar 18, 2013
    This game contains a lot more action than the previous installments of the series. But at the same time it also contains a fantastic story with a very believable main character. It is not a story about another super hero fighting his way through countless enemies. Lara has feelings and opinions and they are portrayed in a believable way that even surpasses many movies. That surprisingThis game contains a lot more action than the previous installments of the series. But at the same time it also contains a fantastic story with a very believable main character. It is not a story about another super hero fighting his way through countless enemies. Lara has feelings and opinions and they are portrayed in a believable way that even surpasses many movies. That surprising amount of depth makes this one of the rare games these days that take their adult players seriously. This game will certainly have to be a contestant for the game of the year awards. Expand
  64. Mar 31, 2013
    This game was fun and entertaining. Now this is my first time really playing through a TR game so my review won't be fully accurate. But here we go. Positives: The storyline was amazing. I am left speechless and wanting more. The combat is fun and entertaining. At times a little easy but still good. The extra items are fun and worth finding. The leveling system felt very well done, butThis game was fun and entertaining. Now this is my first time really playing through a TR game so my review won't be fully accurate. But here we go. Positives: The storyline was amazing. I am left speechless and wanting more. The combat is fun and entertaining. At times a little easy but still good. The extra items are fun and worth finding. The leveling system felt very well done, but needed a little bit more. The graphics looked amazing and that hair design was just plain fantastic. A good 9-14 hour game. Negatives: The mulitplayer is dull and boring. The game throws you too often into combat and not giving you the chance to hide. The end game feels a little bit lacking like something is missing. The world feels narrow at times and a little bit too scripted. Expand
  65. Jun 21, 2014
    I used to play Tomb Raider games and liked them but this one is weaker. The story is weird and does not make sense in some parts for me. I was expecting better graphics for game from 2013. Also, there was a few really interesting bugs like Lara swimming in concrete.
  66. Apr 14, 2013
    I enjoyed playing through the new Tomb Raider but a lot like most games that are coming out today, it doesn't warrant a replay. Now if my BioShock: Infinite review says anything, it's that story means a lot to me and there really was no story here, at least not an interesting one. And although I wanted to see Laura succeed, I didn't really care about any of the others that were along forI enjoyed playing through the new Tomb Raider but a lot like most games that are coming out today, it doesn't warrant a replay. Now if my BioShock: Infinite review says anything, it's that story means a lot to me and there really was no story here, at least not an interesting one. And although I wanted to see Laura succeed, I didn't really care about any of the others that were along for the journey. In terms of game play, it's much like any other 3rd person shooter, there's nothing new or challenging thrown your way. The weapons you get and customize are your expected weapons and it's meh. With that being said, it is a fun play through but it doesn't feel like Tomb Raider. There are tombs that you find and get some loot out of it but they're so easy to find. On top of that, they're so easy to complete. I expected something difficult from the olden days but I guess now that's really asking a lot. The boss battle (if you could call it that) was extremely disappointing. If memory serves it was another QTE that was easily beaten (clearly not a memorable experience). Lastly on the negatives, I am all for collectibles like with the audio logs in BioShock, etc. This game goes the same route but under delivers in the fact that I just had no interest in finding them and got nothing out of them when I did. They tried to advance the story but the story was never very strong and it ended up falling off. Additionally without finding the little collectible things I was able to fully upgrade my weapons and skills quickly. Why collect stuff when my character is already godly? What they did get right was Lara's character. Much like Elizabeth from BioShock, I really cared for her and wanted to make sure she would get through this treacherous island alive. The developers certainly didn't turn down the brutal deaths you could experience and I really tried my best to avoid seeing Lara impaled or crushed. Overall, for me, this came to be like GOW: Ascension. I really do not think it was worth the full price but it did intrigue me to keep an eye on Lara's future adventures. Expand
  67. Mar 22, 2013
    One of the best action games of all time. The story is on an epic level, and using the bow and arrow with such ease makes you feel like more of a badass then any gun could do. The level of exploration and collectibles will keep you coming back to the singleplayer, and the multiplayer although not revolutionary is a fun little distraction. Play this game!
  68. Apr 12, 2013
    the only thing bad about this game is that its to short the rest was amazing I love the new lara croft and I hope to see more the expressions on her face were amazing she reacted to death and pain like any normal person would great game must play
  69. Mar 7, 2013
    Me gusto desde que lo vi en la E3.
    Ahora que lo he podido jugar no me ha defraudado, es un juego de aventuras muy completo y que renueva la franquicie.
  70. Nov 27, 2014
    The story leaves much to be desired.

The combat forces you to play a certain way or you will die.

The voice acting is quite bad.

It looks good and feels good but that's not enough for me.
  71. Mar 11, 2014
    Amazing game. Slightly ripped off Uncharted but I guess Uncharted ripped off Tomb Raider in the first place. Who cares the game is brilliant. Story may be a little clichéd, but it is engrossing and entertaining.

The weapon advancement and the character upgrading are very well done, gives you the addicts rush of "a little bit more and I'll turn it off" striving for another few bits of salvage or exp.

Getting this on PS+ was an added bonus. I do prefer this kind of game not to come with DLC that has to be pad for so only 9/10 if it was a no DLC game then 10/10
  72. Mar 9, 2013
    I cant rly judge the game since I never played any of them, however my mom played all of the previous ones (and I guess this is her score), sometimes I used to watch so I also know a bit. Anyway, I cant say that I like this one, I mean Lara was always a tough woman, now she seems so weak and vulnerable. Thers also alot of gruesom things to happen for such a "weak looking girl", I cant evenI cant rly judge the game since I never played any of them, however my mom played all of the previous ones (and I guess this is her score), sometimes I used to watch so I also know a bit. Anyway, I cant say that I like this one, I mean Lara was always a tough woman, now she seems so weak and vulnerable. Thers also alot of gruesom things to happen for such a "weak looking girl", I cant even stand to watch my mom play it anymore. Expand
  73. Oct 11, 2014
    This game is one of the best games I've ever played for its amazing visuals, fantastic story, interesting characters especially Lara who portrayed so well by Camilla Luddington, excellent gameplay and a gorgeous open world. This game would have been a 10 if not for its multiplayer, I mean its not the worst multiplayer ever but its not that exciting.
  74. Mar 5, 2013
    This is the new standard for tomb raider. The atmosphere is amazing. Great story so Far( i am 5 hours in) The gameplay is great. And for the first time in a long Time i truly care about lara. And if She lives or dies. The only cons are the multiplayer feels of uncharted lite. But the cover system is great. I love being as stealthy as I can be. I am very much looking forward for tombThis is the new standard for tomb raider. The atmosphere is amazing. Great story so Far( i am 5 hours in) The gameplay is great. And for the first time in a long Time i truly care about lara. And if She lives or dies. The only cons are the multiplayer feels of uncharted lite. But the cover system is great. I love being as stealthy as I can be. I am very much looking forward for tomb raider 2. lol. Don't let this one pass you by!!!! Expand
  75. Mar 5, 2013
    It is a very good game with likable characters in game like sam or new tomb. I have console version and pc if you have nvidia card mine is 550 ti) you can get high settings and good frame rate when turning of tessellation,high precise, normal for ssao and depth of field. Overal you should buy Tomb raider on both platform
  76. Mar 7, 2013
    Best Tomb Raider game ever made!. Crystal Dynamics have made a wonderful and entertaining game thats blow you away!. Buy it before you neighbor Lara Croft is back!
  77. Jun 27, 2013
    First there was the original Tomb Raider with kinda scary atmosphere and enemies clever and somewhat challenging puzzles and jumping sections and overall interesting gameplay, it gradually went to and then Uncharted appeared taking large portions of the original Tomb Raider assets and dumbing them down for the wider audience. So its not so weird that the new Tomb Raider game with itsFirst there was the original Tomb Raider with kinda scary atmosphere and enemies clever and somewhat challenging puzzles and jumping sections and overall interesting gameplay, it gradually went to and then Uncharted appeared taking large portions of the original Tomb Raider assets and dumbing them down for the wider audience. So its not so weird that the new Tomb Raider game with its overblown budget that was supposed to appeal to that wide audience looks and plays so much like Uncharted and it not a surprise that it is overhyped generic linear spectacle with a female heroine that has a fit about killing one poor dear but doesn't mind killing hundreds of people, effectively throwing her supposedly dramatic character arc out of the window. And where did she even learn to shoot in the first place? Expand
  78. Mar 6, 2013
    I enjoyed this game immensely. I am a long time Tomb Raider fan and I thought this game was a well needed breath of fresh air. I think Lara has earned back her treasure hunting crown from Nathan Drake (not bashing uncharted, love those games too) as there is plenty to see and explore in Tomb Raider, even after the story ends.
  79. Aug 3, 2013
    I've never played a Tomb Raider game really apart from Legend on DS but as this stands this is a great game. I'm a big fan of Uncharted and while it is similar, it's also very different too. I found Tomb Raider a pretty solid game with good gameplay, graphics and voice acting, but the latter is not perfect. The story revolves around the beginning days of Lara Croft as a survivor and it'sI've never played a Tomb Raider game really apart from Legend on DS but as this stands this is a great game. I'm a big fan of Uncharted and while it is similar, it's also very different too. I found Tomb Raider a pretty solid game with good gameplay, graphics and voice acting, but the latter is not perfect. The story revolves around the beginning days of Lara Croft as a survivor and it's interesting to see how she became the hardened killer we know and love.
    Weapon combat is very satisfying and it's nice to be able to upgrade your weapons, but the physical combat is pretty average. I also like the touch that Lara sticks automatically to walls when enemies are near, something Uncharted never had.
    Graphics are also very nice to look at across the island and you can spend more time afterwards wandering about the place when collecting items and other collectibles. And there is a ton of things to pick up, make no mistake.
    Overall, an excellent game that portrays Lara Croft's character arc very well, with great gameplay, nice environments and acting.
  80. Mar 12, 2013
    Lara Croft is back and the best she's ever been! Since Tomb Raider: Underworld's release, Crystal Dynamics has been hard at work putting together this origin story, and it definitely pays off. An unbelievably unique game in many ways. It is true that some inspiration is taken from modern titles like the Uncharted series, but to be honest, if it hadn't the outcome may well have been aLara Croft is back and the best she's ever been! Since Tomb Raider: Underworld's release, Crystal Dynamics has been hard at work putting together this origin story, and it definitely pays off. An unbelievably unique game in many ways. It is true that some inspiration is taken from modern titles like the Uncharted series, but to be honest, if it hadn't the outcome may well have been a completely different game. I believe Naughty Dog's series gave Tomb Raider the boost it needed to evolve for more mature audiences. The script is brilliantly written by talented Rihanna Pratchett, already having worked on female-driven action games. The gameplay is tense, adrenaline-fuelled action and adventure, with a lot of exploration opportunities. The most important feat Crystal Dynamics has accomplished is that they have created an entirely new, 3-Dimensional Lara Croft who is so much more human. I have yet to complete the game and I must say I am nowhere near disappointed in any way. The over system is unique in such a way that I expect other games to adapt this revolutionary technique in future titles. An absolute must-have! Even if you were not a Tomb Raider fan previously, now is the time to get in on the action.
    NOTE: Having now completed the game, I deducted a point based purely on the multiplayer. Although at times fun, it shows just how rushed and un-evolved it is. The single player may well have been improved with a longer duration.
  81. Jul 26, 2013
    This isn't a Tomb Raider game. This is more like a Uncharted and Far Cry mixed game. The gameplay, graphics and the story is awesome and Lara looks amazing. But, the game is missing the puzzles and the feeling that old Tomb Raider games. If you love action games you must buy it but if you are and old-school Tomb Raider fan don't expect the same kind of a game.
  82. Apr 21, 2013
    Enjoyable and over-the-top take on the Tomb Raider franchise, essentially taking the mechanics of Uncharted and putting Lara Croft back into her rightful place as the poster-child for relic hunting in video-games. Final act is a highlight but the final boss is disappointing.
  83. Mar 18, 2013
    I want to keep this one pretty short. There hasn't been, arguably, a decent Tomb Raider game since Tomb Raider 2 on the PS1 (Underworld had its' moments). Crystal Dynamics, a once promising and innovative developer, had been stuck with the Tomb Raider franchise for years without a solid budget to make truly great games. Finally, with a grand production, this is the Tomb Raider game I'mI want to keep this one pretty short. There hasn't been, arguably, a decent Tomb Raider game since Tomb Raider 2 on the PS1 (Underworld had its' moments). Crystal Dynamics, a once promising and innovative developer, had been stuck with the Tomb Raider franchise for years without a solid budget to make truly great games. Finally, with a grand production, this is the Tomb Raider game I'm sure they've wanted to make from the time they were first handed Ms. Croft's legacy. A near-perfect action-adventure game in every way, marred only slightly by a forgettable, and seemingly tacked-on, multiplayer mode. A must own for fans of the genre, a chance to rejoice for fans of Lara Croft and Tomb Raider. And, on a side note, there most likely wouldn't be an Uncharted without there having first been a Tomb Raider, and there wouldn't have been a Tomb Raider without Indiana Jones. Deal with it. Expand
  84. Mar 10, 2013
    It freezed on me at the beginning (when Lara climbed an airplane)...
    I am scared to go further and face another freez...
    HATE GAMES THAT FREEZES ON ME

but its Tomb Raider game, and I love Lara...
  85. Jun 14, 2013
    This game is pretty good, I mean it is simply the best Tomb Raider game ever made. I didn't really like the other Tomb Raider games, I rented this one and ended up buying it. The game simply wowed me, I was not expecting to like this game at all. Graphics are good, controls are good and atmosphere is good. The game is not perfect but its better than uncharted games that is for sure, andThis game is pretty good, I mean it is simply the best Tomb Raider game ever made. I didn't really like the other Tomb Raider games, I rented this one and ended up buying it. The game simply wowed me, I was not expecting to like this game at all. Graphics are good, controls are good and atmosphere is good. The game is not perfect but its better than uncharted games that is for sure, and that is hard for me to say because uncharted was pretty good. Buy it if you like these kind of games. Rent it if you are not sure. Expand
  86. Jun 5, 2013
    Tomb Raider follows the story of Lara Croft as her ship becomes shipwrecked due to an unforeseeable storm. Lara believes that something is strange about the island, that they did just land there by accident. Her crew members, be they betray or work with Lara are all very well made with good voice acting. Unfortunately Lara is the only character you can really feel for throughout theTomb Raider follows the story of Lara Croft as her ship becomes shipwrecked due to an unforeseeable storm. Lara believes that something is strange about the island, that they did just land there by accident. Her crew members, be they betray or work with Lara are all very well made with good voice acting. Unfortunately Lara is the only character you can really feel for throughout the campaign.
    It's called 'Tomb Raider' for a reason, but yet there are only 8 tombs to be found throughout the island. They are all well created and designed in their own manner still. In this sense it should really be called 'Lara Croft', as the story revolves around her and her surviving friends and not at all on the optional tombs.
    The gameplay to be found here is similar to that of Naughty Dog's Uncharted series, and is well implemented. Great graphics make this game stand out more than most this year.
    Unfortunately, the story is quite the let down towards the end, making you do running errands. And in my opinion is quite the drag to finish.
    There are collectables to be found, Relics, GPS Caches and Documents along with area specific challenges.
    In my opinion there is no replay value either as the only reason I went back into the campaign was to get the remaining collectables for an easy enough gold.
    The multiplayer in the ame is also similar to that of Uncharted, with four modes and multiple maps.
    A very good game, with a multiplayer which isn't that fun to play and an ending that let me down.
  87. Mar 12, 2013
    Having completed the game I can definitely say it is a strong 9/10. The story was so powerful and immersing and it was suitable for old and new Tomb Raider fans. I only marked a point down as the game was slightly shorter than I had hoped and an obvious flaw is the multiplayer. I do have to say, although the multiplayer is shoddy, it is extremely addictive and fun to play.
  88. Apr 27, 2013
    A brilliant game and a perfect way to reboot a classic character with a twist. I personally prefer the new Lara's character to the original but fans of the classic Lara will still manage to gain a lot of enjoyment from this. Looking forward to a sequel in a few years time.
  89. Jun 6, 2013
    Tomb Raider is lucky it's fun, because it suffers from a completely all over the place tone. The story to the game is actually quite good, even if it is abit predictable, and the character of Lara Croft is sympathetic and very well voiced, horrible things happen to her, she's impaled by nails, nearly raped, lost all her friends and is being hunted. I was very unsettled by all this in theTomb Raider is lucky it's fun, because it suffers from a completely all over the place tone. The story to the game is actually quite good, even if it is abit predictable, and the character of Lara Croft is sympathetic and very well voiced, horrible things happen to her, she's impaled by nails, nearly raped, lost all her friends and is being hunted. I was very unsettled by all this in the start of the game, and then she has to kill a man and she just breaks down, but then here's where the problem comes in, 2 minutes later I'm murdering people left right and centre and she's not phased. This did annoy me quite a bit and there are some other contrast issues between the game and it's story, I'm pleased to say that the game is saved by it's solid gameplay mechanics, the bow was so satisfying to use, and the climbing was really fun too. The game is also gorgeous and animations are very smooth. It is a solid game but it wasn't the gritty survival story I was hoping for. Expand
  90. Jun 28, 2013
    This game just felt right to me. I enjoyed every second of it and I would play it again. Everything is well crafted and you get a well written story. Sure, it is not too innovative and there are too many shooting passages, but as the superb controls really match up for this. If you like Action-Adventures like Uncharted, Darksiders and everything inbetween, you should really give it a try!This game just felt right to me. I enjoyed every second of it and I would play it again. Everything is well crafted and you get a well written story. Sure, it is not too innovative and there are too many shooting passages, but as the superb controls really match up for this. If you like Action-Adventures like Uncharted, Darksiders and everything inbetween, you should really give it a try! Hope they will come up with a sequel Expand
  91. Jul 24, 2013
    Lara Croft is back and with her a lot of dismembering, assaulting and fighting. This game has no balance whatsoever between exploration and fighting sessions. All elements are pretty well done, but they don't mix the right way.
    What is left is an uncanny experience that could have been much better with a little tweaking. This reboot is an easy game with some exploring, a lot of shooting and some of the most recognizable graphics of this generation.
    You'll have fun playing it, that's for sure, but you could end up wondering what might have been. And that would have been easy to achieve with a more careful treatment of combat sections.
  92. Mar 9, 2013
    wow, what an awesome game. the pace is non stop rush. i loved the design because it is made to have fun with also. this tomb raider is different, but none the less great. laura grew on you and she became s likable believable character. it is obvious that the guys who made this tried to make a great game. my opinion is they did. thanks for an awesome game. visually this work waswow, what an awesome game. the pace is non stop rush. i loved the design because it is made to have fun with also. this tomb raider is different, but none the less great. laura grew on you and she became s likable believable character. it is obvious that the guys who made this tried to make a great game. my opinion is they did. thanks for an awesome game. visually this work was perfect. story was great. game design was player friendly. there weren't the excessive amounts of punishing restarts like the old ones if you made a mistake. this game gets my coveted 10. Expand
  93. Apr 28, 2013
    Bad. Just bad.
    Bad. Just bad.
    I recall the original tomb raider. Press forward, Lara moves forward. A rock falls down, you have to press away from the rock to run away from it. If a rock falls from above, you move or you die. Not so in this new version. A rock falls, you have to guess what button you have to press before it tells you at the last millisecond giving you no time to press it unless your first name is robocop. Then there comes the part you need to scrabble up a slope and the simple system of pressing a direction to go that direction gets replaced by the l and r button. I seriously do not have the patience for this kind of crap. If I have to press triangle, I expect to be told this ahead of time. I don't expect the game to serve me freshly pickled death just so it can laugh at my Lara girl getting crushed by a huge rock, not giving me much choice because of a completely disproportionate reaction time.
  94. May 29, 2013
    !0 is perfection, and this is as close as it gets. This is the brutal story of Lara Croft, and holy moses it is DIRTY. It's a beautiful action game that really gives you action. The world feels really open, yet it is linnear, but as I said, it feels huge. The best game I've played in at least 2 years.
  95. Sep 15, 2013
    I really enjoyed it, it's a lengthy story, quite adventurous. I liked the characters, and story line was quite interesting, not your average meaningless shooter without any concept, this is definitely different in these terms. The graphics are awesome, and the landscapes are really beautiful. Just a really great game, enjoyable with good ending.
  96. Jan 18, 2014
    Truly a fantastic game. Maybe the best combat and gameplay this year. I enjoyed everything about this game and have absolutely no complaints. Although the story wasn't as strong as other titles this year, and the multiplayer is lacking, the gameplay, graphics, voice acting and Lara make up for it, and make this a top 5 game of 2013, and one of the most fun action adventure games I've everTruly a fantastic game. Maybe the best combat and gameplay this year. I enjoyed everything about this game and have absolutely no complaints. Although the story wasn't as strong as other titles this year, and the multiplayer is lacking, the gameplay, graphics, voice acting and Lara make up for it, and make this a top 5 game of 2013, and one of the most fun action adventure games I've ever played. One of the only games I actually wanted to go back and explore to collect everything and earn 100%. I wish it was longer, but with all the relics, GPS, and other items to collect, I got plenty of hours out of it. Expand
  97. Mar 30, 2014
    Look at all the high scores from both users and reviewers, how is this possible? I'll tell you how, the hype for this mediocre game and the want to love this game has blinded everyone to how terrible this giant turd is. I bought the game and I did beat it, after a few hours or so, the feeling of guilt began to plague me. I knew I had made a bad purchase. I still kept playing though,Look at all the high scores from both users and reviewers, how is this possible? I'll tell you how, the hype for this mediocre game and the want to love this game has blinded everyone to how terrible this giant turd is. I bought the game and I did beat it, after a few hours or so, the feeling of guilt began to plague me. I knew I had made a bad purchase. I still kept playing though, telling and trying to convince myself that this game was actually good. I read the IGN review for this game, where the reviewer states that the tombs are actually challenging and that they will make you feel like you accomplished something!....Nothing could be further from the truth, those tombs are designed so that your average first grader can do in less than a minute. There is no gameplay at all in this mediocre cash cow for mindless drones that believe anything other people say. An enormous amount of handholding, a ton of QTE's, set pieces that play themselves. Uncharted has a good amount of set pieces, yet you still retain control of Nate, not in this game. In this game the set pieces play themselves and there is a lot of them. There is about 2-3 different kinds of bad guys with very very poor AI. People talk about stealth, but even the first MGS does it much much better. The game's hard difficulty is a joke, you'll even read a lot about that from the fanboys of this game. Post game content? Lol all the things to do after you beat this game for casual babies are totally uninspired and worthless. Lara is supposedly more realistic but that is far far from the truth. This 120LB woman makes Big Boss look relatively green. The supporting cast is so dead, so insipid, you might just want them to die. This game will provide no challenge for you at all, none whatsoever. The bad guys just love to throw molotovs at you, they are really fond of that. They love to stand next to exploding barrels so that you can end their pathetic lives all the much easier. The graphics are really nice, that is all this game has, nothing else. Don't be an idiot and disagree with this review. Just admit that you like sh**** games, it will make you a much much smarter person. This insipid, shallow, mediocre, uninspired, challenge lacking(to the most extreme) game gets a 4. Expand
  98. Mar 5, 2013
    a great reboot of the game making Lara grounded and more of a person than a symbol

gear and skills are good but I wish they add more

the cinematics here are super high quality like from an action move
  99. Apr 3, 2013
    This game is alright but not that good, that's really all I can say about this game. Great graphics, great gameplay the WORST multiplayer on this planet! What the hell Square Enix
  100. Nov 21, 2013
    Awesome graphics, a really convincing young Lara Croft and amazing gameplay result in a game you really shouldn't miss. It has a nice story, can be really challenging and comes up with riddles of which some can take their time to get solved. For me, the game was easily fun enough to try getting every relict and so on to complete it 100%.

1. Apr 11, 2013
    This reboot of the series not only surpassed my expectations, but it is easily one of the best games I have played in a long time. If you're like me and love story driven games that offer a great gaming experience then Tomb Raider is definitely for you.
  2. There’s no denying Tomb Raider is a heavily influenced work, both mechanically and aesthetically (its nods to Neil Marshall’s The Descent are so happy to be there at one point Lara even re-enacts the “girlrising-out-of-sea-of-blood” scene). While it offers nothing wholly original, its salvaged parts combine to produce an experience that is consistently better than anything its own heroes have produced. [April 2013, p70]
  3. Mar 28, 2013
    Despite occasional dissonance between narrative and game mechanics, Tomb Raider is a highly polished, highly accomplished reboot. Kudos, Crystal Dynamics. [Issue#235]