7.2

1. Jun 4, 2014
    The definitive version of the game. There really isn't any competition when it comes to deep, involved fighting mechanics. You aren't drowned in a quandary of different systems and minutia. Everything simply works.

The balance is also razor thin. The worst characters (when looking at a 10 point match up tier list) are only 20% below the best. The same can't be said for pretty much any fighting game aside from SF2. Using MVC3 as an example, the best character is actually close to 250% better than the worst (on a match up based tier list).

You also don't have to sit there and watch the other person play while your character is endlessly juggled for half the match. Combos are there but they are swift and succinct. No more 15-20 second long combos of MVC3 and King of Fighters 13.

The character variety is amazing. The inputs are tight and responsive while also demanding that you learn your character. There is no dial-a-combo system, so mistakes are still risky but not as risky as Street Fighter X Tekken where stray jabs lead to full out dial-a-combos.

If you are new to fighting games this is absolutely, positively a 10. If you have the older versions of Street Fighter 4 then this is a 9, seeing as how you've tread this ground before.
  2. Jun 3, 2014
    Exciting. Brimming with vivid lights, colors and sounds. Understand this, I have bought every release of street fighter 4. From the original, to super, to arcade edition. So I wasn't really geeked to find Capcom tapping into the street fighter 4 well again. Then again, because of the popularity of streetfighter 4, and its upgrades, I can understand another 15$ upgrade from super to ultraExciting. Brimming with vivid lights, colors and sounds. Understand this, I have bought every release of street fighter 4. From the original, to super, to arcade edition. So I wasn't really geeked to find Capcom tapping into the street fighter 4 well again. Then again, because of the popularity of streetfighter 4, and its upgrades, I can understand another 15$ upgrade from super to ultra streetfighter 4 would reach the masses more easily than a completely new 60$ game. I'm not happy, but I understand.
    The first thing I did was take the new characters for a ride. Rolento, Decapre, Elena, Hugo, and Poison. Again a bit of unhappiness set in as I have already played with or seen these characters in previous Capcom titles, so they are not completely "new" to me. But whatever.
    My fun wasn't had in playing these characters. I am more of a akuma or cody kind of guy. I more wanted to see their movesets, how they blended in and what I should expect out of each of these new characters.
    Going online was a different affair. What I saw out of the players in the lobbies was less ken, ryu, and oni's, and more trying out of the new characters, mixed in with other peoples favorites, gave me more variety in my fights. And that is where the fun really kicked in.
    From the total number of characters to choose from 44, the number of different fighting styles, the new "ultra" moves, tweaks to the gameplay, vibrant character costumes, new stages, it was hard for me to believe that the original streetfighter 4 was released 5 years ago, and it looks, plays and sounds on par with any of the more recent 2d fighters. From jojo's allstar battle, to blazblue chrono phantasma (which yes I bought both of) Ultra streetfighter 4 has had time to perfect its formula and comes across as a step up from these two games. The speed of ultra, the tight controls. I am not angry because I felt that the computer did not recognize my moves for a win. I truly understand it was my fault, I didn't input the move on time or correctly. And once you recognize how perfect the controls are, you stop blaming the computer and recognize it is in fact you. Learning starts to set in. Not just guessing.
    Online I guess either the kinks aren't completely worked out or other peoples connections lagged a bit. I noticed "waiting on opponents" signs sometimes in battles. My ps3 took a tad longer to connect everybody together, even though I tried to only play in rooms with full bars.
    There are still rage quitters. But I am glad (so far) that the amount of spammers is way down thanks to the Red focus which allows you to absorb an attack and launch a counter attack. When used effectively helps to keep people honest from the same moves repeated over and over.
    Between the red focus, the ultra moves, there is also the delayed wake-up. If you are knocked to the ground, and you know you will get caught by a combo or fireball, you "delay" getting up meaning the timing of your opponent gets thrown off causing them to miss. These three things together seem more focused on hardcore competitors to use, but they add an amount of depth and unpredictability to an already deep fighting game. As long as you have a desire to learn, the game is prepared to teach you. Unfortunately I didn't see any trials (challenge mode) for the new characters. Basically you have to train with them to learn their moves verses the challenges you can go through with the other streetfighter 4 or super streetfighter 4 characters. If Capcom wants a totally complete fighter they will patch these in for the new characters in the future.
    To wrap this up, whether you are new to streetfighter, you moved on, or you are a seasoned pro. The amount of new content, tight gameplay, plethora of counters, super moves, and ultras. Whether its new characters, tweaked characters, or new stages, Capcom has re-written the book on content to add on for its 15$ price tag. Is is worth it? Heck Yeah!
    Now Capcom quit milking streetfighter 4 and give us streetfighter 5 already.
    9 out of 10.
    But here's to Capcom releasing a street fighter 5 in the future and leaving street fighter 4 alone.
  3. Jun 3, 2014
    I hope these early negative ratings don't continue. For 15 dollars you get a host of new characters, stages, everything. You don't even have to own the arcade edition to do so. This almost makes it a sequel to ssf4 for 15 bucks. And sf4 is the second best fighting game ever (next to virtua fighter 5). This release is almost too good to be true.

I guess it's understandable that people

I guess it's understandable that people would be annoyed at buying all the add ons since sf4 (I've owned them all and I still don't mind), but it has been a while since a major addition like this, and like I mention you don't need all the add ons to use this. Either way, just get it.
  4. Jun 4, 2014
    Another Street Fighter game to last for years.
    Like it or not, this is the biggest and the best fighting game on the planet.
    Deep fighting game mechanics and so many unique characters make this game an instant classic for any fighting game fan. With EVO just around the corner, the hype is only starting to build up. Shoryuken!
  5. Aug 6, 2014
    With all the new content and balancing tweaks it is no doubt the definitive version of Street Fighter 4, and fans should buy it. However so much of the new content feels cheap and unfinished. All of the new stages and most of the new characters are taken directly from Street Fighter X Tekken with almost no changes. The new characters have no alternate costumes, no challenges, and noWith all the new content and balancing tweaks it is no doubt the definitive version of Street Fighter 4, and fans should buy it. However so much of the new content feels cheap and unfinished. All of the new stages and most of the new characters are taken directly from Street Fighter X Tekken with almost no changes. The new characters have no alternate costumes, no challenges, and no rival specific dialogue. It feels cheap, like a straight copy past job. Expand
  6. Jun 7, 2014
    One of the best fighters ever made has had it's competitive life extended. Balancing a competitive game is hard work as even a minor change can upset the metagame. This version features not just many minor changes, but new characters and importantly, new system mechanics. The odd gripe about Capcom tweaking resources developed for Street Fighter X Tekken aside, what Ultra Street FighterOne of the best fighters ever made has had it's competitive life extended. Balancing a competitive game is hard work as even a minor change can upset the metagame. This version features not just many minor changes, but new characters and importantly, new system mechanics. The odd gripe about Capcom tweaking resources developed for Street Fighter X Tekken aside, what Ultra Street Fighter shows is that while it's next to impossible to improve on near perfection, you can stop it becoming stale. Expand
  7. Jun 4, 2014
    Made by fans for fans.
    If you are new to the series, then this is a must buy.
    If you've played the old versions of the game, then you have already bought Ultra.
    If you're thinking "this is a new version of an old game", then you probably haven't played SF4 ever and you're just an internet troll .
  8. Aug 5, 2014
    Well worth the hype if you are prepared to put in the hours and learn the new characters move sets and for any fan of the street fighter series this is an essential purchase and even if you only dip your toe in a bit it is still worth investing in as this game is extremely enjoyable in all modes of play.
  9. Sep 13, 2014
    +Lots of characters
    +Well balanced for a fighting game
    +Intricate combo system
    -Worst net code I have seen in years
    -Certain characters are stupidly bad
  10. Oct 25, 2014
    Great game, had to give it a 6 because at this point the franchise is being milked. Of course it has great tweaks and plays alot smoother than the Street Fighter IV Arcade edition. I play this game at a friend's house because I honestly feel like it's not worth a $40.00 dollar price.
  11. Dec 3, 2014
    It's one of the top 5 fighting games of all time. The roster is insanely balanced for competitive play. The visuals are stunning, the characters diverse and the replay ability is off the charts.

Forget skyrim, this game will take 1000's of hours away if you try and "get good"

1. Aug 29, 2014
    Hardcore Street Fighter IV fans will find this appealing, but for the rest of us this is another example of Capcom trying to cash in with one of their most successful games.
  2. Aug 13, 2014
    Ultra Street Fighter IV is probably one of the best Street Fighter games to date, especially with the new gaming mechanics, characters and game modes.
  3. Aug 8, 2014
    Ultra Street Fighter 4 may not be a new game, but it's the definitive version of one of the greatest brawlers of its generation, refined in all the right ways.