8.4

1. Oct 3, 2012
    I gave Uncharted 2 a top ten. This sequel though had the worst story. They dropped the ball way to many times during gameplay. You couldn't feel anything for the characters, non of the new characters got properly introduced. The game ended like **** everything was just ****
  2. Feb 14, 2012
    Drake's Deception is a vast improvement from Among Thieves if that's possible. The Multiplayer and Co-op now has Medal Kickbacks and Weapon Mods. The Single Player Campaign is interesting as well but I kind of thought there should have been a villian return somehow because I feel that the villians in UC3 are dull. While the heroes are interesting, but I guess that's on purpose. Overall theDrake's Deception is a vast improvement from Among Thieves if that's possible. The Multiplayer and Co-op now has Medal Kickbacks and Weapon Mods. The Single Player Campaign is interesting as well but I kind of thought there should have been a villian return somehow because I feel that the villians in UC3 are dull. While the heroes are interesting, but I guess that's on purpose. Overall the game a great buy for a PS3 owner. 9.25/10 Expand
  3. Nov 8, 2011
    A fantastic experience, and a must own for any PS3 owner. The scenery (as well as everything else in the game) is gorgeous and diverse, meaning you never get sick of seeing any one environment for an extended period of time. The story, while a bit predictable, is very well executed. The writing is superb, as expected of an Uncharted game. There is a good mix of both humorous and seriousA fantastic experience, and a must own for any PS3 owner. The scenery (as well as everything else in the game) is gorgeous and diverse, meaning you never get sick of seeing any one environment for an extended period of time. The story, while a bit predictable, is very well executed. The writing is superb, as expected of an Uncharted game. There is a good mix of both humorous and serious dialogue.

The gameplay is extremely solid. They did not change much from the previous games, as there was no need. The aiming mechanics are a bit tighter, and the melee is infinitely more satisfying, but don't expect a huge change from the previous two installments. I never found myself getting sick of the game, while at times the story was too obvious for my tastes, the edge of your seat action and the banter between Drake and company kept me coming back for more.

If it's your type of thing, the game has a very good multiplayer mode as well. While I don't like to play a lot of third person multiplayer, the game offers infinite customization options for both your character and your loadouts. The weapons are fairly well balanced, as are the streak bonuses. For someone who doesn't like third person multiplayer, like me, this won't change your opinion on the genre. However if you don't mind it, or enjoy that kind of multiplayer, it is well done and will likely keep you coming back for more unlocks.
  4. Nov 5, 2011
    Let me be so blunt and saying for those you scored this a perfect 10 need to rewrite there review or complete the game before writing there review. Don't get me wrong this is a beautiful game inspired by the last 2 games in the series. Good graphics, nice sounds, sub par game play, and intriguing storyline. With the game play being sub par its hard for me to give it a perfect 10 while theLet me be so blunt and saying for those you scored this a perfect 10 need to rewrite there review or complete the game before writing there review. Don't get me wrong this is a beautiful game inspired by the last 2 games in the series. Good graphics, nice sounds, sub par game play, and intriguing storyline. With the game play being sub par its hard for me to give it a perfect 10 while the cover system and shooting mechanics still haven't been fixed. Graphics still look like the first game and not to mention the length of this game is way to short for a modern day video game that costs over $60 to purchase. What Naughty Dog did well is tell a compelling story. Also note there characters are one of the better elements of the franchise. Following there characters throughout the franchise and seeing where each relationship goes is interesting. Here's my bottom line scores: Graphics 4/5, sound 4/5, game play 3/5, fun factor 3/5, replay value 3/5. Expand
  5. Dec 3, 2011
    No, this is not the greatest game ever made. No, this is not the best Uncharted ever made. It is a fabulous game, with lots of production values, great story, gameplay and a cast of characters we've learned to love. But, in my honest opinion, Naughty Dog has not improved with Uncharted 3. For me, Uncharted 2 started with a much more of a bang, which made it IMPOSSIBLE to put it down. INo, this is not the greatest game ever made. No, this is not the best Uncharted ever made. It is a fabulous game, with lots of production values, great story, gameplay and a cast of characters we've learned to love. But, in my honest opinion, Naughty Dog has not improved with Uncharted 3. For me, Uncharted 2 started with a much more of a bang, which made it IMPOSSIBLE to put it down. I feel like U3 walks under the shadow of U2 with occasional moments of brilliance. Sometimes it's pure genius. Other times it looks lazy and uninspired. What's with the clone-thugs? It's impossible to be indifferent to 100 guys in a black suit and red tie (with almost the same faces). The game is beautiful, yes, and plays beautifuly too. But... they stepped so much further between U1 and U2 that's impossible to ignore that U3 doesn't look as inspired. It's like they started running out of ideas, I don't know. This is a great game, but it feels sub-par for the Uncharted franchise. Great, indeed, but not the greatest game, nor the best Uncharted. U2 remains the best thriller so far. Expand
  6. Oct 2, 2012
    I found UC3 to be a somewhat disappointing sequel. It is a decent game but in light of the outstanding quality of its immediate predecessor I did expect a more entertaining experience. More focus has been placed on melee combat, which has been refined, but it is still fairly ropey and you are often encouraged to engage in it when there is a lot of shooting going on around you. This oftenI found UC3 to be a somewhat disappointing sequel. It is a decent game but in light of the outstanding quality of its immediate predecessor I did expect a more entertaining experience. More focus has been placed on melee combat, which has been refined, but it is still fairly ropey and you are often encouraged to engage in it when there is a lot of shooting going on around you. This often leads to frustrating deaths as switching between melee and shooting can be quite cumbersome and you are often left as an easy target. The pacing of the game is also inferior to UC2. Where UC2 ratcheted up the intensity of the action at a consistent pace, leading to a brilliant climax ,UC3 takes quite a while to get going and the first half could only be most favourably described as subdued. When it does get to its most intense chapters there are never quite up to par with UC2 and the game then sloooooows down just before the final chapters to a grinding pace that I found quite misjudged and frustrating. These games are clearly aping the beats of an adventure movie, most noticeably the Indiana Jones series, so why the designers didn't stick as closely to this pacing template is quite confusing. They got it just right the last time, so why not stick to it?
    It also feels shorter than the previous games and has quite a ho-hum finale, and to add to its bland troubles the main baddie of the game is about as exciting as a cardboard flavoured lolly pop. Think a stoned and bored Helen Mirren and you're pretty much there.
    The story isn't bad but it does have a faint smell of repetitive odour and several characters actually question the necessity of the quest, almost as though they've broken the fourth wall and are winking at us. The main cast all return but even their appearances feel somewhat perfunctory, as though they were contractually obliged to return.
    This is not to say the game is without its strengths: It looks absolutely gorgeous, and there are a number of very impressive set pieces, what with the budget undoubtedly being so high. There were a few moments of real emotional connection with the characters, which is rare, and good to see, in action video games. Having spent three games with most of these characters it is nice to see they still have depth and imperfections worth exploring.
    Had this game been released before UC2 I still don't think it would've reached the high scores of that outstanding title, but it would certainly not have been a disappointment in any way as it is certainly superior to the first.
    I did enjoy it but was constantly comparing it to UC2, willing it to be better, but it just never quite got there. I do hope there are more UC titles, but that the next one ups the ante again the way the second one did. This is a game that should be rented rather than bought as there simply isn't enough replay value and the multiplayer, whilst fairly enjoyable, is not good enough to justify a full price purchase.
  7. Nov 2, 2011
    Good graphics and motion captured action does not make a good game. I would consider this more Uncharted 2.5 than Uncharted 3 as it doesn't really add much new to the formula, infact, in a lot of ways, it takes a step back. Those familiar with Uncharted 1 will be glad to hear that the infinite enemy mob spawner gameplay has returned. Be prepared to fight off waves and waves of enemies inGood graphics and motion captured action does not make a good game. I would consider this more Uncharted 2.5 than Uncharted 3 as it doesn't really add much new to the formula, infact, in a lot of ways, it takes a step back. Those familiar with Uncharted 1 will be glad to hear that the infinite enemy mob spawner gameplay has returned. Be prepared to fight off waves and waves of enemies in order for Naughty Dog to pad out the levels and make it seem like you're getting more gameplay than you really are.

The weapons and combat system have been altered in a way that I think is detrimental to the enjoyment of the fights and it really just irks me that there's still lots of unfixed problems with combat, such as finicky grenades landing in unreachable places, or enemies being able to hit you through walls despite the fact you are concealed in cover.

Overall, a bit of a disappointment, but it definitely has a lot of aesthetic polish. But then again, so does a brass toilet.
  8. Nov 28, 2011
    Uncharted 3 had some adventurous fun and I recommend for a rental over the weekend but there is not a lot of depth to the game play, story or campaign to recommend as a purchase. The story is predictably cut and paste from The last crusade, there's some charm and is descent enough to watch, however there isn't much character development and is kinda forgettable and lacks surprises. TheUncharted 3 had some adventurous fun and I recommend for a rental over the weekend but there is not a lot of depth to the game play, story or campaign to recommend as a purchase. The story is predictably cut and paste from The last crusade, there's some charm and is descent enough to watch, however there isn't much character development and is kinda forgettable and lacks surprises. The environment graphics look very nice, the character models do the job at a distance but look strange and jarring at close range in the cut scenes - the character eyes look weird. Uncharted 3 was ok Expand
  9. Nov 2, 2011
    I was expecting so much more from this game. I bought my ps3 2 days ago and this game was one of the reasons why I did. This game isn't bad it's just not all it's hyped up to be (still can't believe freaking ign gave it a 10. . . damn Greg Miller). I'll start with the pros. The game is absolutely gorgeous. Probably one of the prettiest console games ever made. Another highlight of the gameI was expecting so much more from this game. I bought my ps3 2 days ago and this game was one of the reasons why I did. This game isn't bad it's just not all it's hyped up to be (still can't believe freaking ign gave it a 10. . . damn Greg Miller). I'll start with the pros. The game is absolutely gorgeous. Probably one of the prettiest console games ever made. Another highlight of the game is the cut scenes. During the campaign I was looking forward to the cut scenes more than the gameplay itself. Next is the voice acting. Top notch. Not much more to say then that. Last is the multiplayer. A great improvement from UC2's multiplayer. Now the cons. The campaign is ridiculously linear. All you do is move from boring puzzle to boring puzzle, run into the enemy and hide behind something and kill them all, and sit through a cool cut scene, etc. There are some great moments in the story mode, but 80 percent of the time your doing the same thing over and over again. Very short as well. If you want you could finish the whole game in 8 hours or so. So there you have it. A good game, but not a great game. If you really want to play the some disappointing campaign then just rent it. I don't think there are any other features that could justify a full purchase unless you really like multiplayer. Final score 7.5/10 Expand
  10. Nov 7, 2011
    This game features one of the most amazing stories and the most interesting characters ever. It has gorgeous vistas, intense new interactive sections, loads of new creative ways of moving through brilliant and never-before featured locations.
    But it also has really tiresome fistfights, problematic gun play and annoying sudden death moments that make you long for a "skip this scene" button, just to get back to the brilliant story. You will find yourself remembering the fun in Uncharted 2: Among Thieves and wonder why it doesn't really work this time.
  11. Nov 6, 2011
    Ok guys, let's just be honest. This is a pretty big dissapointment, especially the single player. Very short, only 8:30 hours on HARD. Because most games this generation are extremely short it doesnt mean you have to work towards such a short single player. Also, even on hard, this is a very easy game and almost everything will be done for you and you're getting tips all the time EVEN whenOk guys, let's just be honest. This is a pretty big dissapointment, especially the single player. Very short, only 8:30 hours on HARD. Because most games this generation are extremely short it doesnt mean you have to work towards such a short single player. Also, even on hard, this is a very easy game and almost everything will be done for you and you're getting tips all the time EVEN when you turn hints off. Many technical flaws like glitches, enemies becoming invisible, bad animations, dissapearing environments, VERY stupid AI almost emberrasing for a game with this power/graphics. Even in the gamecube-era the AI can be much smarter than this. Naughty Dog apparently choses graphics over story and gameplay. I hope they learned their lesson with this one.

The multiplayer is fun yes. The best part of the game also. Not very innovative but still fun with friends. You get lots of content by level up, many weapons, medals, character costumoptions. Doesn't really hold me on like Uncharted 2, which is the much better game.
  12. Nov 2, 2011
    While it is undeniable that this game looks good and has many nice little bits like the water, fire and sand effects. Also the adventuring is sound and fun. The story on the other hand, while well told is not my cup of tea, many times the game plays out like an interactive movie more than a game, a very beautiful movie, but a movie. Then there is the combat it just wasn't very fun theWhile it is undeniable that this game looks good and has many nice little bits like the water, fire and sand effects. Also the adventuring is sound and fun. The story on the other hand, while well told is not my cup of tea, many times the game plays out like an interactive movie more than a game, a very beautiful movie, but a movie. Then there is the combat it just wasn't very fun the endless supply of samey goons and boring shooting. So in conclusion not a bad game at all, in fact quite a good game (yes 7/10 is good, not awful) but not quite my cup of tea, so I'll watch movies for my deep stories and plot twists and keep playing games that are all about play for my personal tastes. :) Expand
  13. Nov 2, 2011
    Uncharted 1 was boring and repetitive, Uncharted 2 was one of the best games I have ever played. Uncharted 3 started off amazingly, just like Uncharted 2 but unfortunately it did not deliver. It's boring and repetitive. The story is quite good, it's just game-play mostly fails. I am not sure why but Uncharted 3 is like a cross between Uncharted 1 and 2. The story is amazing, cut scenes areUncharted 1 was boring and repetitive, Uncharted 2 was one of the best games I have ever played. Uncharted 3 started off amazingly, just like Uncharted 2 but unfortunately it did not deliver. It's boring and repetitive. The story is quite good, it's just game-play mostly fails. I am not sure why but Uncharted 3 is like a cross between Uncharted 1 and 2. The story is amazing, cut scenes are awesome but game-play is exhausting and repetitive. The game eventually becomes a grind. Kill guys here, climb there, enter room with many spawning enemies, rinse and repeat through out the whole game. I found myself loving the game but at the same time becoming very frustrated during my game-play. Uncharted 2 was stellar, I must have played the game 5 times at least, this game I cannot finish due to being exhausted of the same things over and over again. Expand
  14. Nov 13, 2011
    I suppose at this point, it seems cliche to say that it pains me to write a sub-par review for a game such as Uncharted 3. The comparisons with its predecessor abound. When I bought Uncharted 2, I played it and its multiplayer for about a year. The story, the set pieces, the music, the voice acting, the characters, the sound effects were fantastic. Gameplay had its share of smallI suppose at this point, it seems cliche to say that it pains me to write a sub-par review for a game such as Uncharted 3. The comparisons with its predecessor abound. When I bought Uncharted 2, I played it and its multiplayer for about a year. The story, the set pieces, the music, the voice acting, the characters, the sound effects were fantastic. Gameplay had its share of small tweaks required, but it was assured that with a company like Naughty Dog, the little bits here and there would be fixed in time for this third release.

The story is lacklustre, with one of the most anti-climactic endings of all time. The controls are floaty compared to UC2, the sound effects lack the same "oomph" factor, the voice acting is great as always, the music is rousing.

The shooting bits were great - there was much more in the way of environments to really vary how a player approaches a fight with twenty different guys shooting at you at once. I almost wish there was more of these. The introduction of at least 5 or 6 different weapons was a pleasant sight. As was the removal of the FAL, replaced by the G-MAL. There were just as many stealth parts, but they were far more difficult than in the last game. But in some places felt cheap. Even in parts where I knew I was being silent, I was still caught somehow. The cover system hasn't been resolved. There are still several times when I was trying to cover into a wall where it instead rolled. Overall, a very average game. But a big disappointment considering UC2.
  15. Nov 5, 2011
    A real shame I really wanted to like this, I loved the first 2 games. As a self confessed Sony fanboy it upsets me. The balance of the game is all off. Aiming is extremely difficult, stupid QTE's and an anti climatic story that for the last hour is essentially uncharted 2 all over again. A lot of the story centre's around SUlly and Drakes relationship, this is unnessary, we already knowA real shame I really wanted to like this, I loved the first 2 games. As a self confessed Sony fanboy it upsets me. The balance of the game is all off. Aiming is extremely difficult, stupid QTE's and an anti climatic story that for the last hour is essentially uncharted 2 all over again. A lot of the story centre's around SUlly and Drakes relationship, this is unnessary, we already know they have a father/son type relationship this didn't need to be delved into in so much detail. On positive notes Cutter is an excellent character and has some of the best lines. Expand
  16. Dec 6, 2011
    I liked this game. I loved Uncharted 2 & 3. As much as I like this Uncharted 3, it's starting to feel a little too much the same. Every uncharted game has nearly the same sequence ie; You are traveling to a place. The bad guys show up to claim the prize before you do. OR the bad guys show up as you claim the prize and try to take it from you. These happen over and over and overI liked this game. I loved Uncharted 2 & 3. As much as I like this Uncharted 3, it's starting to feel a little too much the same. Every uncharted game has nearly the same sequence ie; You are traveling to a place. The bad guys show up to claim the prize before you do. OR the bad guys show up as you claim the prize and try to take it from you. These happen over and over and over and over again just the same as they have in 1 & 2 and it is starting to become tiresome. Graphics are great and game play is still fun. Expand
  17. Nov 6, 2011
    First off, to justify my review, you should know I have achieved Platinum on Uncharted 1 and 2, so I feel I have some insight to the franchise and what I expected of this chapter. I will start by saying it is as fun as the other two, with amazing, lush environments, great cut scenes and a nice finale for our characters. The formula is identical to the first two games of the trilogy;First off, to justify my review, you should know I have achieved Platinum on Uncharted 1 and 2, so I feel I have some insight to the franchise and what I expected of this chapter. I will start by saying it is as fun as the other two, with amazing, lush environments, great cut scenes and a nice finale for our characters. The formula is identical to the first two games of the trilogy; you run around, shoot bad guys and find treasures and solve a few puzzles. That being said, I expected a little more than what we got from this outing. It seems toward the end the plot kind of trickled to a hurry up finale. I will try not to spoil the plot itself, but I still had a lot of unanswered questions in the end. I know I am critiquing the story a bit, but a great game usually has a great storyline, so if it fails a bit, so to does the game. I just felt like it was more of the same we have already encountered. Naughty Dog did not really stray too far from the formula of the previous installments. As I write this I am still trying to think what bothered me about it the most. It just seemed to introduce new characters without any kind of a back story. I mean, we know the bad guy is bad, and the bad leader was connected to our hero's past, but I found myself not caring as much about it as I did with the other games of the series. There were lots of lose ends at the finale, and I kept asking, well who was she? Who was he? Why did they end here? Where did that ring come from? Graphically is is probably the best you can find on the PS3 console at the moment, but the replay values is limited, and the multi-player is a bit generic. Too often lately I feel that developers of current games force a timeline and do not quite make the end of the game live up to expectations. So to summarize - fun game, beautiful graphics, nice cinematics. But at the conclusion I was like, that was it? It left me wanting more, but I knew that this story was probably concluded and left a lot unanswered for characters we've followed over the years. Expand
  18. Nov 14, 2011
    I was expecting really big things from this game after all the straight 10's the critics handed out. The action is thick and fast (a little too fast ) in my opinion. The campaign clocks in at about 8 hours and the combat feels clunky compared to UC2. Enjoyable game but over too soon with little replay value unless you're big on MP. I'm mainly disappointed with the 10 score received forI was expecting really big things from this game after all the straight 10's the critics handed out. The action is thick and fast (a little too fast ) in my opinion. The campaign clocks in at about 8 hours and the combat feels clunky compared to UC2. Enjoyable game but over too soon with little replay value unless you're big on MP. I'm mainly disappointed with the 10 score received for lasting appeal just because of the tacked on MP. I personally would rent the title in hindsight, have your fun and move on. Alternatively wait for the platinum release which will be much cheaper. Great game but not a 10 ever. There is no innovation from the previous 2 games and it is too short hence my decent 7 score. Expand
  19. Nov 11, 2011
    Uncharted is a great series, the first installment was a great if somewhat flawed explosion onto the PS3, feeding the hunger for an Indy type character which we all love, giving us the heady mix of exploration, albeit linear, puzzles and combat. I loved the first game, the second more, it really pushed the envelope in story telling, character development and an affection for the charactersUncharted is a great series, the first installment was a great if somewhat flawed explosion onto the PS3, feeding the hunger for an Indy type character which we all love, giving us the heady mix of exploration, albeit linear, puzzles and combat. I loved the first game, the second more, it really pushed the envelope in story telling, character development and an affection for the characters usually lacking in the wooden one dimensional people that normally populate video game land. Where 2 was a jaw dropping kick up the arschenholler for most developers, I feel that 3 does'nt quite hit the same high tide mark. I loved the steady build of London and the excellent Drake as a youth levels. Something didnt quite just click. The graphics as to be expected of Naughty Dog were exceptional, but the usually well fleshed out enemies were missing. The Helen Mirren baddie wasnt explained enough, nor her underling. Though he looked suspiciously like the English bloke from 2. For all the spectacle, and it was spectacular, I felt that some of the heart was missing. Cutter, who was great, disappeared in the second act along with Chloe. Elena barely made an entrance. It seemed that in the early part of the game, puzzles were abundant and a definate refinement over previous efforts, but beyond that they disappeared totally. Gunplay was a bit wonky with the cover mechanic being hit and miss at best. Also the fact that enemies know where you are, even if they cant have possibly seen you in cover, but pour masses of fire onto you anyway was a bit lame. It also felt like it was all over a bit to soon, and lacked a real climax ( the escape from the collapsing city was was awesome visually) it just lacked a bit of occasion as i didnt really care about the baddies or know enough about them. Overall a good entry but not what i was hoping for after the second one. Expand
  20. Nov 11, 2011
    The game feels like a big step back from UC2. Drake tripping over stuff looks cool at first but quickly gets old. Your telling me he can survive a fall out of an airplane but can't walk 10 feet without tripping over something. I feel like I'm always fighting the camera, gunplay is a mess and multiplayer is more jacked up than that. The graphics are great but I'm at a loss as to why thisThe game feels like a big step back from UC2. Drake tripping over stuff looks cool at first but quickly gets old. Your telling me he can survive a fall out of an airplane but can't walk 10 feet without tripping over something. I feel like I'm always fighting the camera, gunplay is a mess and multiplayer is more jacked up than that. The graphics are great but I'm at a loss as to why this game was rated so high. The way the game tells its story is great however it seems Naughty Dog put this aspect in front of game play which leaves you with a beautiful looking game that is fun at times, frustrating at others and overall a bit of a disappointment. Expand
  21. Nov 21, 2011
    This game a disappointment to me, even though on first sight, it pretty much is nothing than a copy of Uncharted 2, which I loved and still play now and then, with new textures and I'm not one to complain when a sequel is too similar to the prequel as long as it's still well done, so why do I not like this game so much? The graphics are, again, extremely beautiful and you are presentedThis game a disappointment to me, even though on first sight, it pretty much is nothing than a copy of Uncharted 2, which I loved and still play now and then, with new textures and I'm not one to complain when a sequel is too similar to the prequel as long as it's still well done, so why do I not like this game so much? The graphics are, again, extremely beautiful and you are presented with a lot of "hold your breath" action scenes, but something's missing. I never dropped my jaw like I did so often in Uncharted 2. The story this time was weak. The developers mentioned somewhere they first thought of locations they wanted to implement and then they wrote the plot around these and it shows. The game is basically being saved by the likeable characters and their banter. Conflicts are being introduced only to be resolved and/or dropped a few moments later. The question of who to trust is being raised several times and could've been used very well to raise some tension, but then the issue is solved soon in a cutscene (sometimes even the very same one it arose in) and off they go to new adventures. The same could be said about the "supernatural" touch towards the end, albeit as always scientifically explainable? This time, it happens at the very ending and is nothing but a very, very short "intermission" that is over after a few shootouts and cutscenes when the idea itself would've been interesting enough to make it a much, much bigger and complex part of the story. Actually, the whole "endgame" lacks. When you find the place the search for which has been the whole point of the game, that section is over before you know it, no sense of mystery or exploring the place at all. The amount of luck and unlikely survival this time borders on silliness, it's really way too exaggerated and in some cases, laughable. It has been part of the series, sure, but it's overdone here, especially the inconsistency of how deep a man can fall and still go unharmed. The ridiculously linear and narrow nature of the levels is another issue. The Uncharted games were never sandboxy, but this time, they overdid it as for like 95% of the game, you'll feel like you're just following a tight corridor, even when the environment is supposedly vast. Platforming is more straightforward than ever and requires no thinking or observing of the surroundings, just a matchbox length short of being a Quick Time Event game. I absolutely hated the shooting sections this time. They're either ridiculously easy or unfairly hard, or rather, annoying. Whenever enemies showed up, I was rolling my eyes and I really disliked all the parts where they basically dropped you in a narrow arena with little to no way of moving around or taking cover, then send enemy wave after enemy wave at you, including heavy armored dudes that take a lot of damage and guys with "(almost and really)one-shot-kill-guns". And what's up with all the snipers, I swear it feels like they are in every battle this time, so you'll frantically try to run from cover to cover while fending of criminals and agents, but it's not always clear where you'll actually be save and a lot of these battles become pure trial&error to find the perfect route that leads you to the grenade launcher. Stealth sections are annoying this time as well, basically because the whole stealth system isn't all that deep but is used too deeply, different from U2, where it was just a nice change of pace now and then. Clairvoyant soldiers who all will know exactly where you are and come storming towards you as soon as ONE guy notices you somewhere on the map are annoying enough in the shooting sections, but become a pain when you, just for the sake of variety, want to get through a section silently and one mistake, be it yours or the game's, forces you to either restart all over or give up on sneaking and shoot your way out for the rest of it. One thing that is new and I really liked was the little QTE that would allow you to throw back grenades, but unfortunately, Nathan Drake will throw them against the wall he is taking cover behind more often than is forgivable. Other control issues arise with several actions being on the same button and the game failing to realize what you meant. A game like this also has puzzles, but as it proceeds, they become less and less until they're gone completely. I also understand this is an action game, but do the puzzles that it does have really have to be easy to the point where you simply open the journal to be given the solutions? I doubt gamers are that dumb. There's exactly ONE puzzle that requires a little bit of observing I also hate how the characters will keep telling you where to go and what to do (as if there were any other options) all the time. Overall, it's still a very entertaining experience and the chase sequences ar awesome, but as a game, it feels poorly done and the story never uses its potential. 7/10 Expand
  22. Nov 28, 2011
    When I first put in this game I was swept away by the wonderful lore of the Uncharted series and the tonnes of adventure and danger and edge-of-your-seat action that it promised. So imagine my dismay when I discovered that this was actually a hastily made and half-baked follow up to the genius of "Among Thieves". It is a terribly un-even game - while some chapters are the sensationalWhen I first put in this game I was swept away by the wonderful lore of the Uncharted series and the tonnes of adventure and danger and edge-of-your-seat action that it promised. So imagine my dismay when I discovered that this was actually a hastily made and half-baked follow up to the genius of "Among Thieves". It is a terribly un-even game - while some chapters are the sensational action-riddled romps we've come to expect from Nathan Drake, others just plain fall flat. Sadly, most of the brilliance of this game is over before you know it, while the not-so-brilliant moments seem to drag on and on.
    I am scoring this a 7 because of my love for this franchise, and not because of my love for this particular installment. As a body of work, the Uncharted series is excellent, but "Drake's Deception" does not measure up against the bar that Naughty Dog themselves had already set so high.
  23. Nov 26, 2011
    Uncharted 3 is pure brilliance and a true landmark in the action adventure genre. Its already been said enough that the game is like a Hollywood blockbuster but in my opinion it exceeds that. From escaping a burning mansion to dangling out of a plane, the amount of excitement will have you dripping sweat. The game-play is the same as Uncharted 2 with some tweaks, the main one being theUncharted 3 is pure brilliance and a true landmark in the action adventure genre. Its already been said enough that the game is like a Hollywood blockbuster but in my opinion it exceeds that. From escaping a burning mansion to dangling out of a plane, the amount of excitement will have you dripping sweat. The game-play is the same as Uncharted 2 with some tweaks, the main one being the difficulty. The enemy's are more ruthless and some trial and error in certain set pieces which will test your skill and your patience. The graphics are slightly better now with some very beautiful areas. Now that all the characters are established from the last 2 games there's a bit more focus on the villains, who are more complex then the cliché Russian war-criminal from the last game. Overall this game is pure brilliance in the single-player department combining fast paced action and plat-forming with confusing puzzles. The multi-player will suit most people but it gave me frustration, so if Modern Warfare multi-player makes you tear your hair out most of the same is here. Co-op however is a blast, with its own storyline its good fun with friends. All around its a very good game with some minor flaws with repetition, if you liked the first two you'll love this and its a nice surprise for new people who haven't played the others Expand
  24. Dec 3, 2011
    The gameplay is broken, save for the melee fighting (which even then is impractical half the time). The set pieces are inconsistent with some being unremarkable or frustrating and others being balls-growingly awesome. The story starts things that it can't end and ends things it never started as if half of the campaign was cut off at the last minute because they couldn't fit it on theThe gameplay is broken, save for the melee fighting (which even then is impractical half the time). The set pieces are inconsistent with some being unremarkable or frustrating and others being balls-growingly awesome. The story starts things that it can't end and ends things it never started as if half of the campaign was cut off at the last minute because they couldn't fit it on the blu-ray disc, what with the orgasmic visuals and all. Expand
  25. Nov 30, 2011
    Hmm. Didn't really like this game that much. Had a terrible story and there was not much impressive scenery. There are some improvements in the combat and a few new guns that weren't in Uncharted 2, but not much else different. Puzzles are frustrating. Still a reasonable game, however Uncharted 2 was better.
  26. Mar 2, 2013
    Drakes deception...I can't help but feel deceived by this game...don't get me wrong but this game leaves MUCH to be desired but fails to answer some questions it asks so as usual the good: Great voice acting from the entire cast. The graphics makes me wonder why anyone possess another console instead of a ps3 because the graphics are simply amazing even now. The sound is worthy of aDrakes deception...I can't help but feel deceived by this game...don't get me wrong but this game leaves MUCH to be desired but fails to answer some questions it asks so as usual the good: Great voice acting from the entire cast. The graphics makes me wonder why anyone possess another console instead of a ps3 because the graphics are simply amazing even now. The sound is worthy of a multi-million dollar movie and has drake and co fight against an interesting opponent who seems to be immortal and has some weird mind controlling technique up there sleeve. So why not score it a 9 or 10? Because despite it being better than uncharted 2 the flaws keep it from being a rare gem it was aiming to be! This game is great right up to the middle part of the game by which I mean.......THE COMBAT!! Now the bad: as I said its the combat and while I enjoyed the combat of the previous two uncharted its almost unbearable here! It go s like this: your fighting your standard enemies then here come a heavy(or two) who take NUMEROUS head shots then when he(or gasp....both) gets close your forced into melee mode where it becomes insanely difficult to survive because as you are forced to go hand to hand your getting shot and by the time your out of melee mode you die trying to run for cover! There's also MANY area's that include the "screw you gamer" enemy combinations that is....one or two heavies....two or more snipers and about three grenade launcher enemies that result in multiple deaths....I'm sorry I meant CHEAP deaths because when grenades explode near you....your stunned right out of cover and exposed to a hail storm of bullets! the story(usually a high point) fails to explore Nathan drakes past as the female antagonist mentions how drake wasn't his real name. I was interested about who he really was and why he was so obsessed with drake(Francis drake) and besides that...the small things like his age...where was he born and who were his parents...all left unexplained in the last installment...? Why was the guy seemingly immortal but dies with one shot in the end!? He was shot plenty of times during the game but still managed to live but one bullet kills him in the end? This same guy poisons your friend with a mind control drug that induces fear but magically disappears in an ally? Then both antagonist seem hell bent on attaining a powerful artifact that can grip the word in fear thats hidden in a chest but strangely they use this same drug that has the same effect as the artifact that they are searching for...!? Why not just mass produce the drug they were already using if fear was their ultimate goal? I'm also curious as to what their OVERALL plan/goal was...world domination? The ending was anti-climactic and what was the male antagonist relationship to the female antagonist? He took it pretty hard that she died in quick sand even though drake tried to save her! Was she his sister....lover...accountant..lol? Despite these issues the combat really hurts the game as it throws what seems to be an ENDLESS AMOUNT OF ENEMIES at you. Once you finish a wave of enemies you might want to just sit behind cover because atleast twenty more enemies are on the way which isnt bad but the game forces you into cheap deaths every chance it gets with the dreaded heavy/rocket launcher/sniper combo with regular bad guys thats instantly frustrating. 7/10 Expand
  27. Jun 21, 2012
    Drakes Deception is actually very apt as although this is the 3rd uncharted game it is actually the worst of the three, uncharted one and two maintained game-play, Drakes deception felt like a movie imitating a game. The story was lame compared to the previous games and although enjoyable it was spoilt in parts with bad new combat design choices. the tight cover and shooting system fromDrakes Deception is actually very apt as although this is the 3rd uncharted game it is actually the worst of the three, uncharted one and two maintained game-play, Drakes deception felt like a movie imitating a game. The story was lame compared to the previous games and although enjoyable it was spoilt in parts with bad new combat design choices. the tight cover and shooting system from uncharted has been removed and was replaced with an inferior one were when you are in cover and take aim it was almost always over the wrong shoulder view. why they just did not add a central gun-scope view i dont know. the new updated fighting system works in places and fails badly in others, (point of fact the final fight can turn into an endless never ending fight .if you do not press the correct buttons so it is not a free fight but a scripted one. i like many others thought this was a glitch but no really its just a bug with a badly thought out ending. the graphics are okay but there are too many indoor areas and not enough jungles or outdoor vistas. even the desert dune fails as you have no idea which direction to go in then when you finally work it out there is nothing in the level you just walk to the next area. the puzzles and level design and jewel collection were all inferior and weaker to the previous games. jewels are much easier to find in uc3. Deceptions saving grace is the once again excellent multi-player and co op modes they are still great and if you loved the multi-player it is still worth picking up. Game of the year version will be available this year with all dlc content included if its at platinum game price its still a bargain. Over-all a dissapointing story for drakes return Expand
  28. Dec 31, 2011
    Uncharted 3 suffers in many ways, but the main reason for this is not, as some may think, it's spectacular predecessor Among Thieves, but rather too little production time. One of the biggest problems of this game is the story, which at first seems even better than the one of the first two entries, but the clumsy inclusion of the cruise ship and the fact that the game ends in veryUncharted 3 suffers in many ways, but the main reason for this is not, as some may think, it's spectacular predecessor Among Thieves, but rather too little production time. One of the biggest problems of this game is the story, which at first seems even better than the one of the first two entries, but the clumsy inclusion of the cruise ship and the fact that the game ends in very anticlimactic way makes the story seem rushed, unfinished and not thought-out. Overall the graphics improved greatly, but backgrounds look poorly animated and sadly, texture popping returned after being nearly absent from Uncharted 2's single player. Something that also bothered me alot about the graphics was the often advertised sand. Because when I first reached chapter 18, I was disappointed to find out that the at first glance spectacular lokking sand wasn't more than a flat texture, only creating the illusion of sand. The level design was yet another thing I was pretty disappointed with, since tracking back the exact same rout as I entered a level wasn't exactly what I expected from linear single player campaign as short as this one. The cinematic moments from the last game were taken several steps further in this one, maybe a few steps too far, instead of having full control as it was in Among Thieves, the player now has hardly any control in those moments and seems to be only pushing Nate forward for the scene to continue.
    The amazing soundtrack , which seems to show us what some scenes maybe should have made us feel, isn't enough to take away the bitter feeling that makes me think what this game could've been with more time.
  29. Jan 8, 2012
    Uncharted 3 was a great game, but i didn't like it nearly as much as Uncharted 2. In Uncharted 3 I felt that the developers wanted it to be like a movie, which would be fine if it wasn't EXACTLY LIKE ONE. The entire game felt out of my control and the throughout the story i asked questions that weren't even answered. Such as How did they meet Cutter? What makes Nathan and Elaina getUncharted 3 was a great game, but i didn't like it nearly as much as Uncharted 2. In Uncharted 3 I felt that the developers wanted it to be like a movie, which would be fine if it wasn't EXACTLY LIKE ONE. The entire game felt out of my control and the throughout the story i asked questions that weren't even answered. Such as How did they meet Cutter? What makes Nathan and Elaina get divorced? The ending seemed to rushed as well, with a lousy final boss battle that wasn't even the least bit difficult and everything happening so fast I was stunned. Although i don't like this game as much as its prequel i still enjoy its core gameplay and multiplayer. Expand
  30. Jan 12, 2012
    Good - Absolutely stunning graphical detail, quite frankly one of the most beautiful games to look at. The voice acting is superb making every character completely believable. Wonderful set pieces that are very exciting to behold. Some fun and intense gunplay. Multiplayer is fun, quick and easy to get into. The new customizations in multiplayer are very much welcome too, adding much moreGood - Absolutely stunning graphical detail, quite frankly one of the most beautiful games to look at. The voice acting is superb making every character completely believable. Wonderful set pieces that are very exciting to behold. Some fun and intense gunplay. Multiplayer is fun, quick and easy to get into. The new customizations in multiplayer are very much welcome too, adding much more depth to the gameplay. The co-op story is great addition too, this time receiving a loose story to connect each level. Bad - Apart from the graphics, this is a step back from Uncharted 2. The gunplay, however fun, is now quite inaccurate and irritatingly slow in comparison to Uncharted 2. This makes the game feel extremely clunky at times. The story is really quite weak with little character development (apart from Nate and Sully, I was quite impressed by their backstory). The result of this is a very anticlimactic ending, where it's difficult to care about antagonists that you know nothing about. The game is also really quite short and the linearity of the series is getting to be absurd. For example, without adding too much of a spoiler, there is a whole chapter of the game where you simply have to hold forward to progress as the rest of the game plays itself for you. I found this chapter torturous and it actually added nothing to the story. This perfectly highlighted the pacing issues this game has. You might spend a whole 3 chapters doing nothing but shooting with the occasional set piece, and then have a chapter where you simply walk around aimlessly. It make for some seriously disjointed gameplay. Uncharted 2 had much better pacing, never making anything feel like a slog. The main issue with this game is removal of the player from the gaming experience. I am aware that Uncharted games are supposed to be deeply cinematic but Uncharted 3 has taken it too far and often crosses the line between movie and video game. Uncharted 2 got this just right, but Uncharted 3 has no happy balance, which makes for some deeply unsatisfying gameplay. Also, because the game has so much cinematics injected into it, there is actually very little to do at times, which makes the game quite boring at times and also very easy (even on crushing difficulty). Overall - I feel bad that I have focused much of my attention on what Uncharted 3 is doing wrong. But I only do so because with all the 10/10 reviews it is receiving I am worried that this series is going to become progressively more and more 'cinematic' and the gameplay less and less interesting. At first I was bedazzled by the beautiful graphics of Uncharted 3, but after that had worn off I was left with realisation that this is quite a hollow game. I did enjoy Uncharted 3, but it feels like such a step back from the brilliance that is Uncharted 2. Expand

1. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Mar 6, 2012
    The characterisations by the actors is second to none and even though this tall-tale takes you to fantastical places and events, the script is never once unbelievable. You never feel like an outsider. If anything, you'll feel right at home, ensconced in the constant drama of this loveable cast of returning reprobates and reprehensible villains. [Dec 2011, p60]
  2. Feb 5, 2012
    It's more than just the best entry in an outstanding series though - it epitomises the very reason many of us play video games. And that's its greatest achievement.
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Jan 20, 2012
    Only a few camera troubles stopped us from giving Drake's Deception the highest rating. Uncharted 3 is without doubt the best PS3 exclusive game of this year. [Dec 2011]