5.5

1. Apr 19, 2011
    Venetica is a bit rough around the edges, but is enjoyable nonetheless. I highly recommend any RPG fans pick it up.

The story follows a woman named Scarlett as she obtains a weapon named Moonblade and must defeat Death with it. The story isn't all that interesting, but luckily, you can skip cutscenes and most dialog. The voice acting ranges from good to decent.

The combat is simple, but
    enjoyable. Draw your sword with R1, attack with X. You also have special abilities you can use such as the ability to sense secret doorways (a power reminiscent of the the Vale in the newest Wolfenstein game).

The RPG elements are pretty enjoyable as well. You eat food for health, sleep for health, get clothing trimmed to fit you, get weapons repaired and constructed using ore, and upgrade your general abilities using action points as well as learn new powers through two skills trees: one for physical powers, one for mental powers.

All in all, the game is cheap fun. I wouldn't buy this for $60, but if you can find it below $30, you should be satisfied. It's got enough content to keep you occupied for awhile. If you like Fable or The Legend of Zelda, this game should scratch your itch.
  2. Mar 9, 2011
    In short: Terrible storyline and narration, voice actors that make you want to put the game on mute, graphics that lack any distinguishable quality, horrible gameplay. This game could've looked average on the PS2, but is by far the worst game that has ever had the pleasure of entering my PS3.

1. Factor in frequent freezing issues and dialogue-tree selections that don't seem to correspond with the resulting actions and Venetica doesn't stand up to current-day RPG standards. [March 2011, p.82]
  2. Useless like a paper hammer. [Feb 2011, p.113]
  3. Feb 1, 2011
    Games shouldn't reach retail in this condition, and while I'd love to give Venetica a higher score, Atari should've never allowed Venetica to reach the market in its current state; if I wasn't required to finish the game for my review, I would've put it back in the box after a few hours because of the save bugs.