7.1

1. Apr 27, 2015
    Big disappointment, I liked the first one despite his flaws, for this sequel I was hoping for big improvements. But instead I found a bit of laziness, with almost every areas taken from the first game (except 2), the same monsters, very few new characters, If you didn't buy the first one it would be compensated by the fact that you've got it for free by buying the sequel, but I found itBig disappointment, I liked the first one despite his flaws, for this sequel I was hoping for big improvements. But instead I found a bit of laziness, with almost every areas taken from the first game (except 2), the same monsters, very few new characters, If you didn't buy the first one it would be compensated by the fact that you've got it for free by buying the sequel, but I found it disrespectful for the ones that paid 70€/$ twice.
    The combat system is not ideal, being an hybrid of action and turn-based with the wrong sides of both, it's not very tactical like a turn-based RPG but without the thrill of a good action RPG. I ended up being bored by fighting the same basic enemies over and over without any kind of challenge.
    The story and graphics are nice but not great, the protagonists are a bit naives and can get on your nerves sometime.
    In conclusion the White Knight Chronicles saga was a disappointment from Level-5, hopefully Ni No Kuni will give back some honor to the studio (I didn't play it yet, but critics are good).
  2. Sep 20, 2011
    Yes, it IS true that WKC got a few clean-up passes and remastered and then lumped with the conclusion of the tale as WKCII. As an RPG trek, the game will likely last dozens of hours, some of it fantastical and fun, others a royal PITA for a variety of recurring reasons and oddities that have made it into the final-cut of the WHITE KNIGHT CHRONICLES compendium.
    Sometimes gorgeous,
    Sometimes gorgeous, compelling, and stellar, WKCII is the COMPLETE version with all chapters of the story included, remastered with better FPS, smoother animation, additional items, armor, and weapons.
    However, for every nuance that LEVEL 5 got right; other, glaring issues mar what could have been a superb journey from start to finish. As it remains, WKCII represents an older game design that runs afoul of its own aspirations. From the camera getting stuck in the scenery at times, to members of your party blocking a doorway or hallway, WKCII forces the player into some frustrating and controller-hurling moments with banal gameplay devices such as switch-hunting, frequently respawing enemies and not permitting saves in-between a series of 4 boss fights at the conclusion of chapter 4. With fairly large maps replete with many reused elements, whether textures, identical hallways or mirror-images of previous terrain or hallways, WKCII creates a seemingly large world with not-much of a story to fill it.
    To be sure, JRPG mainstays are clearly present with stereotypical characterizations and sophomoric dialogue, often repeated ad nauseum by the party while meandering through the countryside. Story-laden angst is overwrought or over-written and delivered by a voice-cast of moderate skill for minimal effect. By turns hilarious or grating, WKCII dialogue in cutscenes is often little more than adolescent banter dressed-up as artifice or a bridge between areas. Aside from story elements, quests are presented and segregated as "errands" or "bounties" including guild quests. These activities provide fodder for grinding, loot, in-game money, etc. All in all, WKCII is sometimes tedious, frustrating; yet, still fun and interesting, although many, other, better RPGs do exist. For a game that can run into 100+ hours with 6 member online party-runs, mucho solo content, village-building and more, WKCII often tries to do too much. The story, while silly and delivered-as-gospel is slow to build; but, certainly, pacing is hard to maintain over a lengthy game. A flashy barn-burner told in 6 hours could not be stretched for the dozens of hours that WKCII entails.
  3. Dec 5, 2011
    let's be clear.. there is no White Knight Chronicles I & II, only White Knight Chronicles - a single game, and it can be played in its entirety here. while each individual game scores low on review aggregaters, when viewed as one whole game it's a solid JRPG, though it's not too innovative, other than the MMO-lite monster hunts. it'll take you at least 100+ hours to work through story andlet's be clear.. there is no White Knight Chronicles I & II, only White Knight Chronicles - a single game, and it can be played in its entirety here. while each individual game scores low on review aggregaters, when viewed as one whole game it's a solid JRPG, though it's not too innovative, other than the MMO-lite monster hunts. it'll take you at least 100+ hours to work through story and quests and is a must for any JRPG fan. i don't want to give it an 8 but 7 seems too low, so 7.8 seems fairer.. Expand
  4. Sep 15, 2011
    The campaign in this game can't hold a candle to final fantasy and some of the other classic JRPGs but it's serviceable even though I would like to see a few more areas than rehashing WK 1 areas. COOP guild quests are by far the reason to purchase this title I probably wouldn't even play the campaign if I didn't have too. Wish I could trade with other players or some sort of Auction House.The campaign in this game can't hold a candle to final fantasy and some of the other classic JRPGs but it's serviceable even though I would like to see a few more areas than rehashing WK 1 areas. COOP guild quests are by far the reason to purchase this title I probably wouldn't even play the campaign if I didn't have too. Wish I could trade with other players or some sort of Auction House. Liking town hubs and the community this game has to offer can always find a room but lacking lower level and intimidiate level players. Best played with PSN friends rather than strangers. Mutliplayer makes this game unique a 7. Auction house and trading hint hint Level 5 Expand
  5. Oct 8, 2011
    The original White Knight Chronicles was an average-at-best affair, a game that gained notice pretty much solely on the reputation of it's developer. Now, I love Level 5, and while White Knight 1 wasn't a great game, it was still an enjoyable one. White Knight Chronicles 2 is a large improvement over the first game. The graphics look better, the combat speed has increased, there's a greatThe original White Knight Chronicles was an average-at-best affair, a game that gained notice pretty much solely on the reputation of it's developer. Now, I love Level 5, and while White Knight 1 wasn't a great game, it was still an enjoyable one. White Knight Chronicles 2 is a large improvement over the first game. The graphics look better, the combat speed has increased, there's a great deal of new abilities and customization options, and the entire first game is packaged with it, making it a great value. Overall, I would recommend this game to JRPG fans such as myself, who can put up with a few flaws (low difficulty, repetitive enemies, weak story) and enjoy a game for what it is. Expand
  6. Oct 12, 2011
    Very enjoyable game, a lot of things to do (especially if you start with wkc 1. I'm about 65 hours into the game now and I have the feeling I'm not even halfway yet.). Interesting story, though some cutscenes don't really add anything to the story (luckily you can skip those). Downside is that the A.I. is absolutely retarded. They know when to heal, but they have a habit for using the mostVery enjoyable game, a lot of things to do (especially if you start with wkc 1. I'm about 65 hours into the game now and I have the feeling I'm not even halfway yet.). Interesting story, though some cutscenes don't really add anything to the story (luckily you can skip those). Downside is that the A.I. is absolutely retarded. They know when to heal, but they have a habit for using the most powerful ones when not necessary (and by that draining your mp retardedly fast), offensive spells are used completely random. I've had a character whacking away at a monster using her weapon while she had to use magic and used magic when there wasn't any point to. Also despite the fact there are only 3 types of attack, and most monsters are vurnerable to 1 type, and my computergenerated friends can't figure out which one to use, not after the 1st monster, nor the 1000th one, which gets on my nerves from time to time. You do have to love the concept of RPGs and stories though, since the battle system aswell as the environments are very repetitive. If you don't care about the storyline, you won't get far. Expand
  7. Dec 21, 2011
    White Knight Chronicles (and WKC II) as a story falls rather flat on it's face. WKC's story is so bad takes a three point hit its score because of it. It's a very cliche "Save the princess!" love story with the youthful hero chasing after the princess and time after time the bad guy pulls her away at the last moment. Not a big fan of that. However; in terms of game play I actually enjoyedWhite Knight Chronicles (and WKC II) as a story falls rather flat on it's face. WKC's story is so bad takes a three point hit its score because of it. It's a very cliche "Save the princess!" love story with the youthful hero chasing after the princess and time after time the bad guy pulls her away at the last moment. Not a big fan of that. However; in terms of game play I actually enjoyed this game a lot. The AI used for the companions is smart about attacking and using magic. The enemies are reused quite often but are difficult enough while not being too hard. You get to design your Avatar player's appearance right from the get-go. There is a well thought out system for crafting new armor and weapons called Binding and even a mini-game where you design a town (called your Georama). Expand
  8. Oct 19, 2013
    The game was good but the story is lacking not enough dept the characters are mid core the game play is good most of the score is from game play!!!!!
  9. Jan 8, 2015
    I would sadly have to say that I agree with some of the critics here. SPOILERS!!!!!(You should know this by now.)

Story - Some twists here and there but mostly sticks to its cliche retardedness(That's not even a word) ~Characters ~ Leonard - Mr. I have to save the Princess no matter what. ["O Wizel, white warrior, wielder of the ancient sword, grant me your power. Verto!]

~Characters ~

Leonard - Mr. I have to save the Princess no matter what.

Yulie - Ms I like Leonard but I'll never admit it
    [O' Luthia, argent goddess and beacon in the ancient night, grant me your power. Verto!]

Eldore - The old guy who knows everything

Kara - The traitor/friend/traitor/friend
    ["Oh Dinivas, deliverer of dark and dread, ruler of the ancient shadows, grant me your power. Verto!"]

Caesar - The guy whose rich loves dragons & Kara and also the guy whose knight has the coolest battle theme which is still stuck in my head.
    ["O Larvayne, vermillion drake, leveler of ancient lands, grant me your power. Verto!"]

Grazel - The badass with a badass knight and also the villain.
    ["O Adolmaea, shining sovereign, supreme light of the ancient skies, grant me your power. Verto!"]

Sound - Not extraordinary but not bad. The 2nd Battle Theme is amazing I love all the Knights Themes and Balandor Plains BGM is 1 of my favorites. It has a Pretty Good OST.

Gameplay - Fun at times but sometimes repetitive another thing is that I wish some of the abilities in this game had more oomph to it like a sword attack that's flashy and powerful not a simplistic stab or a simple slash. Another thing is that I wish some characters had a unique ability that other characters do not like Eldore having Majestic Fire Rain or Yulie having Aerial Barrage or Leonard with Hikō-Ken that would have made all the characters powers and abilities more unique.

Graphics - I bet if there wasn't so many MMO elements in the game White Knight Chronicles would have had better graphics. Regardless though WK has decent graphics.

Replay Value - Moderate replay value comes from choosing different classes which is probably enough to make you grab that controller again and put WK back into your PS3 again.

Overall - This game is good for when your bored and you just want to play a JRPG that's satisfying but not extraordinary. If you were looking for an Amazing game with a great story and awesome gameplay go play Tales of Xillia because this is not 1 of those games.

1. Jul 23, 2012
    If you didn't play the first and you don't mind grinding, you can have fun with White Knight Chronicles 2, but I'd strongly advise that you play its predecessor if you're interested in knowing what's going on.
  2. Apr 9, 2012
    Hardcore WKC fans may be willing to pour hundreds of additional hours into this sequel, nay - expansion - but most will likely be turned off by the confusing story, niggling flaws and generally repetitive nature of the combat and questing.
  3. The single-player story is cheesy fantasy schlock, and while the online mode has an array of decently designed multiplayer quests, it could stand some more structured goals and a stronger emphasis on cooperation. [Dec 2011, p.81]