Wolfenstein PlayStation 3

7.4

1. Jul 9, 2012
    First of all this is a decent game but I feel like the FPS has evolved. Gone are the days of simple shooting mechanics in a decent enough story. Crysis, Bioshock, Snydicate, Deus Ex, The Darkness, and Halo have all shown that you need more than guns, grenades, and something to shoot to stand out.
    Even the Call of Duty and Battlefields of the world offer more variety and a large and deep multiplayer campaign. Wolfenstein feels ancient, almost like it belongs on the original XBOX. As for this version of Wolfenstein as a game?
    Well, It isn't the brilliant Return to Castle Wolfenstein on the original XBOX but it is a solid single player game. First of all shame on Activision. Raven Software is a great development team but Activision refuses to advertise their games. Quake 4, Soldier of Fortune, and Singularity had no advertisement and were set up to fail. Activision did the same thing to Bizarre Creations. It's a shame. As for Wolfenstein you again play B.J who is the last thing Nazi's wanna see. It is pretty obvious that Singularity was developed at the same time as Wolfenstein because both games involve going in and out of time. Even the green sheen from the veil looks just like Singularity. Basically you have to stop the Nazi's by going into the veil which is a parallel universe to stop the Nazi's from creating a weapon of mass destruction. And as always there is the Nazi backdrop where they are messing around with the super natural and doing more harm than good. But it gives Raven unlimited resources into creating a wide variety of enemies with several different powers. The game is set up in a small section of a town which is basically a hub. The problem is the hub is where you spend a third of the game and it is not really anything special. You are constantly going back and forth to find missions and fighting Nazi's. It all looks the same but at least the map is easy to navigate. Luckily once the mission starts there is a lot of variety and the game opens up a bit. The graphics which are based on the old ID engine hold up barely. There is nothing really special about the games look but it remains solid through out the game if a little bland. The environmental objects are surprisingly destructible and the lighting and textures are solid. It is a good looking game. One thing the game excels at in sound. The guns sound loud and powerful. Of course being a WWII setting all of the guns are familiar. Luckily the Nazi's have created a few gems to toy with later in the game. Most people know by now that shooters these days are around 5 to 8 hours long. However it took me about 10 hours on the normal settings. I guess it depends on the player. One thing you will not spend time with is the multiplayer. This was a disappointment. The great graphics from the single player are gone, the frame rate is suspect, the upgrade system takes way to long, and finding players on the PS3 is a choir. In fact the PS3 version suffers from glitches that have never been fixed. It is a waste of time. Here is the sad fact. Raven has made way to many games this gen with the Marvel and Wolverine games and three shooters. Singularity was in my opinion the game they really wanted to make. Even in Game Informer a while back a few of the guys even said Singularity was there most important title for them. Ironically Wolfenstein is the better single player campaign. Singularity ended up being delayed and I wonder if Activision cut them off and they had to go ahead and release it when they were not ready. So both Wolfenstein and Singularity suffered. Now Raven has basically vanished from the gaming scene and have been helping Infinity Ward with multiplayer maps. If they made one game at a time I positive both would of been better games. As it stands now Wolfenstein is a great bargain bin pick up because the single players story and missions are great. The multiplayer as disappointing as it is will not have anyone playing it anyways. Hopefully Raven will concentrate on one game at a time in the future. I good game that should of been great. Worth the $12 I spent for it but I am not sure I would spend any more
  2. May 5, 2015
    A good old-school FPS (except for the life system that regenerate itself after a few seconds, not the good old health pack system) with a handful of weapons, all with their own characteristics and upgradable and 3 powers (also upgradable) we've got a lot of ways to kill the nazis and their experiments which is very fun.
    The campaign is long enough for the genre (10 hours for me) if you do
    The campaign is long enough for the genre (10 hours for me) if you do adjust the difficulty (for me I needed Uber difficulty to experience some challenge) and offers nice moments and epic bosses. Unfortunately the story is not up to the gameplay, and the characters have no charisma at all. It's a shame because the game is very fun, but fail to hook you up and making you wanting to play more and more.
    Technically the game was just okay when it was released, so if you have 2015 standards you'll be very disappointed, but it's still decent for a 2009 game, no framerate issues. The game runs just fine.
    So in conclusion Wolfenstein is very good to entertain you for a few days (and there is some replay value if you want to collect everything) but will not leave you a lifetime memory, I do recommend it if you like FPS as it's really cheap now.
  3. JozefK
    Aug 19, 2009
    It's a shame critics put this down for not doing something new, clearly they were expecting something more after the near 10 year period between Wolf titles. But as RTCW was great, so is this.
  4. Jul 23, 2011
    The original was the pioneer of all first person shooters and the latest addition is a worthy sequel and stands its own against any other fps out on the market today. Fighting the naziâ
  5. Marcusnevermind
    Aug 25, 2009
    RTCW was a stunning experience, based in real life with just a little occult added to it. This is just the opposite. Istead of stickin to the original plan, story, and build to the succes of ET thw Wolfenstein name that used to stand for quality is now connected with any other crappy FPS.
  6. Feb 7, 2012
    This game was fun at first. I thought the weapons upgrades were awesome. I liked the idea I had to search for intel in order to unlock weapon upgrades and search for gold to buy them. Other then that the game became boring fast. The A.I really sucked and the missions were short and bland. Why is it that most fps are all looking like COD.
  7. Dec 13, 2012
    This game is a big big big FAILURE---A major DISAPPOINTMENT...in other words---it a piece of TRASH !!!

The AI SUX BALLS, the enemy just keep respawning ---endless respawning !!!, the gameplay is **** and the camera just keep shaking so intensely---this is a piece of **** that you will regret buying it---or you just like puking at your screen playing with this **** !!!
  8. MattJ
    Oct 5, 2009
    It was fun at first then it got boring you started to do the same thing over and over and its short also the powers you get are not that great. I was looking forward to this game and it kinda sucked.
  9. LandonW
    Nov 11, 2009
    Let's just say that if Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 deserves a 96 based solely on its online/multiplayer experience, then Wolfenstein should not be faulted for it's failure in the multiplayer dept, as it's story mode in single player is captivating! Believable, not hardly, but entertaining to say the least. The graphics are great, too. Although if you're still on Let's just say that if Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 deserves a 96 based solely on its online/multiplayer experience, then Wolfenstein should not be faulted for it's failure in the multiplayer dept, as it's story mode in single player is captivating! Believable, not hardly, but entertaining to say the least. The graphics are great, too. Although if you're still on your first play-through of Uncharted 2, you might be disappointed? The bar was certainly set high in that game! Back to Wolfenstein, though: Game play was fun. More so than most FPS games, because of an inclusion of third-person views when using cover. I happen to enjoy 3rd PS more than FPS because of the tunnel-vision effect experienced when playing a FPS. I rented the game initially, but will be buying it when the price drops. Replay value is in the inclusion to keep your upgraded weapons on a 2nd play-through in an effort to trophy-hunt for items you might have missed the first time through. My overall score: 8.5. Expand
  10. PhilG
    Aug 19, 2009
    Decent fun, but almost identical to Call of Duty (control wise and play style). Not necessarily a bad thing, but it lost some of the charm and uniqueness of the series. Also the single player is a lot lighter and more like an Indiana Jones movie, whereas the last entry (Return to Castle Wolfenstein, 2002) was very dark and had you on edge. The objective based online is a lot of fun though Decent fun, but almost identical to Call of Duty (control wise and play style). Not necessarily a bad thing, but it lost some of the charm and uniqueness of the series. Also the single player is a lot lighter and more like an Indiana Jones movie, whereas the last entry (Return to Castle Wolfenstein, 2002) was very dark and had you on edge. The objective based online is a lot of fun though and the class system gives players something to work towards. My only other gripe would be a lack of split screen play. Collapse
  11. angelicm
    Aug 20, 2009
    It's pretty to look at and fun. it is not COD5 and doesn't attempt to be. Serious online COD5 players will not shift over to this as the multiplayer componant doesn't look as good, but this doesn't matter really. Enjoy this game as a mellow down after 8 hours of multiplayer COD5 map pack 3 play, and chill baby, ps the MP40 sounds rad.
  12. DarylS
    Sep 3, 2009
    Considering the onslaught of shooters in the last while, I do find this one intriguing because of the occult aspect. The graphics are very good.the storyline keeps me going for more and I really like all the weapon choices. Have only had it freeze up on me one time.
  13. FelipeL
    Dec 1, 2009
    Good game, good graphics, reasonable AI, diferent trophies, not dispensable only for colectors or gamemanics
  14. SteveM.
    Aug 22, 2009
    The first person story is extremely fun. You get to power up your weapons and your powers along the lines of Bioshock. The game looks beautiful with its colors, scenery, and the attention to details. Where Wolfenstein fails is the online gaming. You start off very weak compared to others that have been playing for a while. Also it relies on the old hosting system. Also, it can take a long The first person story is extremely fun. You get to power up your weapons and your powers along the lines of Bioshock. The game looks beautiful with its colors, scenery, and the attention to details. Where Wolfenstein fails is the online gaming. You start off very weak compared to others that have been playing for a while. Also it relies on the old hosting system. Also, it can take a long time to get into a game. The game play feels like an old Quake game with better graphics. I wish they would have dumped the online portion and spent more time on the first person game and made it longer. The first person game is great the online is OK. Expand
  15. DanL.
    Aug 24, 2009
    I'm quite disapointed with Wolf, i was expecting somthing that would blow me away, but this game cant reach halfway to Call of duty - Campaign is too short, and the online part is just horrible, like really really horrible.. though i like the story behind, and i played RTCW back in the days.. Wolfensteine is past.
  16. PeterJ.
    Aug 25, 2009
    I've had a lot of fun out of this game so far, and although the flaws in its game design can be obvious, this doesn't distract from the overall fun level that can be had playing this game..if you love wolfenstein, and you love its fast paced style of play, then you'll love this. It has alot more worth than what people are describing it for.
  17. DrewB.
    Aug 27, 2009
    I have to give this game an 8 for "well executed, but not very original". I loved RTCW, and the story/atmosphere of this game definitely follows in those footsteps well. The inclusion of stealth as an option (rather than a forced feature in specific missions) is nice, as is the balance between conventional weapons and Veil powers in combat. I sometimes chose to wade into a battle with my I have to give this game an 8 for "well executed, but not very original". I loved RTCW, and the story/atmosphere of this game definitely follows in those footsteps well. The inclusion of stealth as an option (rather than a forced feature in specific missions) is nice, as is the balance between conventional weapons and Veil powers in combat. I sometimes chose to wade into a battle with my Reflective Shield on, bouncing bullets into soldiers' faces, just to conserve ammo. The weakness of this game I felt was the lack of originality in the game's design. I enjoyed the variety of enemies and missions, but none of them were really anything I hadn't seen before in another FPS. The Veil powers were a refreshing and unique addition to the game, but the mechanics of this powers were pretty standard fare. On the technical side though, I didn't encounter very many bugs at all. Overall, I gotta give it to Wolfenstein for being a very well-orchestrated game with fights that kept me entertained, as well as snappy graphics. The biggest downside was that nothing struck me as truly ground-breaking. Regardless, I still feel like it's earned its rightful place in the Wolfenstein saga. Expand
  18. TJDoc
    Aug 22, 2009
    In many ways, this feels like the long-awaited conclusion to the "Old-school and Proud of it" trilogy, that began with Doom 3 and Quake 4. It's a simplistic, gore drenched, undeniably fun FPS experience; filled with grotesque and varied enemies, as well as a satisfying selection of weapons to shoot, burn,zap, and desintegrate the Nazis with. The very definition of an 8/10 game.
  19. Feb 12, 2011
    The Campaign is good but online it's bad (lag, not much to it) but Campaign make up for the online
  20. Jan 15, 2011
    The single-player is excellent. Full of cool enemies and creatures, awesome weapons, weapon upgrading and mission following. The multiplayer is just ok. Its somehow always laggy online and they are only a very few players online so you may not want to spend your time on multiplayer. So you should stick to thw awesome single-player. Overall a great game.
  21. May 20, 2014
    I really really WANTED to like this game! Deep down though regardless of overall good reviews I had a feelingthat it would suck which is why I checked the redbox online all day until one was in my area. So glad I went that route! This game would be great as a dl arcade game but as a full price game hell no! It's just kill a bunch of people, cut scene, kill more people. The mechanicsI really really WANTED to like this game! Deep down though regardless of overall good reviews I had a feelingthat it would suck which is why I checked the redbox online all day until one was in my area. So glad I went that route! This game would be great as a dl arcade game but as a full price game hell no! It's just kill a bunch of people, cut scene, kill more people. The mechanics themselves aren't bad but there is very little variety in terms of weaponry and paths to take. Also the graphics are almost as bad as any Nazi war crime ever committed! Absolutely unacceptably bad! I guess this game will survive if you are into mediocre mindless killing but these days most gamers are which is why the game industry puts out such trash anymore because the average consumer eats it up! All in all, pretty bad but not ENTIRELY horrible! If you have an average attention span and I.Q. expect to be entertained for about 2 hours tops! Expand
  22. Apr 12, 2016
    Wolfenstein de PS3 presenta un juego bastante regulero a nivel de gameplay y narrativa, no presenta ningún tipo de novedad respecto a lo visto en otros shooters y no aprovecha la época en la que está ambientado y el juego que puede dar. Sufre de bajones y subidas constantemente en el ritmo con lo cual choca con el jugador y hace que no te sientas en una experiencia fluida.

If you're into WWII shooters -- and judging by the sales of every single Call of Duty title ever, you are -- but you're looking for something with a little twist to it -- which, judging by the sales of twisty straws, you are -- and you don't mind the color green -- and judging by the number of Irish people in the world, you don't -- you should get yourself a copy of Wolfenstein.
  2. Spot-on Wolfenstein atmosphere combines with gleefully vicious weaponry to serve up a tasty smoothie of good old-fashioned Nazi-frying. It lacks in the new idea department, but it has fun aplenty.
  3. With so much history behind the Wolfenstein series, it can be quite difficult to live up to the legacy of the games that came before you. The latest entry in the series does a fantastic job of this, from its gorgeous graphics to its solid story line; everything is well thought out and well executed. With the potential for additional multiplayer maps thrown in, this is a great value overall.