XCOM: Enemy Unknown PlayStation 3

8.2

1. Mar 6, 2013
    I'v played this everyday since release. And I'm not kidding here when I say that this game has easily the biggest fatal flaw of any game ever. When percentages are wrong. The game is wrong. The manager of the game says it's to "keep things interesting. But if you hand me the wrong numbers. then you are wrong. All the time. I was gonna give this a ten (seriously) but a f;aw this big almostI'v played this everyday since release. And I'm not kidding here when I say that this game has easily the biggest fatal flaw of any game ever. When percentages are wrong. The game is wrong. The manager of the game says it's to "keep things interesting. But if you hand me the wrong numbers. then you are wrong. All the time. I was gonna give this a ten (seriously) but a f;aw this big almost makes this game deserve a passing score. You killed, and wasted your time, developers. Expand
  2. Mar 9, 2013
    I waited until the price dropped before I bought this game, you see I am usually disappointed by games that get so much praise and media hype (anything CoD, or God of War) because the games are usually just rehashed clones or just plain suck. I was pleasantly surprised by Xcom:enemy unknown, I played for four straight hours the first time I sat down with it and I've been hooked since. II waited until the price dropped before I bought this game, you see I am usually disappointed by games that get so much praise and media hype (anything CoD, or God of War) because the games are usually just rehashed clones or just plain suck. I was pleasantly surprised by Xcom:enemy unknown, I played for four straight hours the first time I sat down with it and I've been hooked since. I don't know or care if it maintains the legacy of its predecessors but its fun and challenging. I don't like the in-game menu setup, I find it clunky, I don't like the cinematics or the dialog but I love the actual battles, strategy and planning are a must. You won't simply blast your way through these enemies. There are many choices to make but honestly they don't make much difference in the outcome, but you'll get so caught up in the game that you won't care. I definitely recommend this for anyone who enjoyed Halo:wars or any RTS game. Expand
  3. Nov 3, 2012
    So, XCOM... I never played the original UFO: Enemy Unknown on the PC, so I went into the demo with feelings of skepticism, not believing if the acclaim was deserved or not. However, I finished the demo with one feeling: that I needed to get this game. And, when I did start playing, there was no feeling of regret, and I knew the $90 I had spent on it was spent well. I easily put about 20So, XCOM... I never played the original UFO: Enemy Unknown on the PC, so I went into the demo with feelings of skepticism, not believing if the acclaim was deserved or not. However, I finished the demo with one feeling: that I needed to get this game. And, when I did start playing, there was no feeling of regret, and I knew the $90 I had spent on it was spent well. I easily put about 20 hours into the game without feeling like it was pointlessly long. The game offered a real challenge, and for the first time in my life I actually felt terrified of playing any more of a game. The choices to be made in this game have astounding after-effects. For example, you may save the United Kingdom from an abduction instead of Brazil, and Brazil will no longer fund you. And I found myself in one paticular situation when my only Colonel was pinned down with only two health, and a Muton Beserker standing next to him, also with two health. I had a rookie with a grenade. If I were to throw the grenade, I would kill the Muton and my best soldier in the entire game, but there would be a chance of survival. However, if I didn't throw the grenade, my Colonel would most likely die anyway and the surviving team members would need to retreat and evacuate (if they weren't killed by the aliens surrounding them in the act). It's those kind of choices that make XCOM: Enemy Unknown such a great joy to play. It's the sense that your only chance of survival relies on strategy, hunches, weighty decisions and big sacrifices. And, through my twenty plus hours of play (so far), I have spent so much time planning my missions down to the most minute of details, customizing my soldiers to make them immediately recognizable as the core members of my team. Just tuning to the game to fit your liking to the finest of details is a joy within itself. A great part of the game is the choices involved. Sometimes, for example, you will need to risk the lives of everyone on your team to fulfill an objective of the council that fund the XCOM program. You will sometimes need to sacrifice five of your six soldiers to rescue a politician with some pull in the program. Sometimes, though, you'll need to pull your good, effective soldiers out of a dangerous mission, because you know that you will lose them during the mission, and instead put six rookies up to the job of, well, surviving. I would be prepared to say that this is not only a turn-based strategy game, but it is a survival horror game because of the terror that the game evokes as you try and keep your soldiers alive, and risk the lives of them, and send them to certain death, in order to defend the world from an alien invasion that slowly but surely engulfs the entire world. You will find yourself defending against abductions across the world, and destroying UFOs spotted above major cities, engaging in a rather easy combat with the UFO in one of XCOM's many fighter jets. XCOM: Enemy Unknown may just be the my Game of the Year, but at the moment this amazing title is dismissed, as it is the most addicting game I have come across in years, and I am sure I will be playing it, trying to get better, for years to come. This game is truly brilliant and deserves all the praise and critical acclaim it gets from the critics. Expand
  4. Nov 11, 2012
    This game is good at giving the illusion of choice but in reality your choices are fairly limited or don't really matter. If you don't buy satellites and uplinks straight away you will start to lose nations and it will be game over. Also most items you research and develop often don't ever have much use like SHIV's which I tried to use once but just seemed pointless. Overall I enjoyedThis game is good at giving the illusion of choice but in reality your choices are fairly limited or don't really matter. If you don't buy satellites and uplinks straight away you will start to lose nations and it will be game over. Also most items you research and develop often don't ever have much use like SHIV's which I tried to use once but just seemed pointless. Overall I enjoyed playing through the campaign but the game just feels like it's missing a layer or two of depths in certain areas. Expand
  5. Nov 28, 2012
    If you're a fan of the original, you'll (maybe) be let down --it's pretty different. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan on innovation, but the changes here are quirky (and suspicious...). It plays like some kinda browser-based flash version of x-com. It's clear the changes were necessary just to get the IP made. Since, obviously no one wanted to play the original (well, I did) --it's tediousIf you're a fan of the original, you'll (maybe) be let down --it's pretty different. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan on innovation, but the changes here are quirky (and suspicious...). It plays like some kinda browser-based flash version of x-com. It's clear the changes were necessary just to get the IP made. Since, obviously no one wanted to play the original (well, I did) --it's tedious and methodical. So this modern snazzy version is the new bastard child. Normal setting is piss easy (sooo easy). So you gotta play on classic (hard), then you might feel that nostalgia slipping away. It's hard to describe. If your a fan of the original, rent it. You'll see what I mean. But, If your born in the 90's and never heard of x-com until now, then enjoy! Expand
  6. Jun 30, 2015
    The PS3 version of this great strategy game is so buggy, it's almost unplayable. The worst is missing hits on 100% hit chances. Some players claim there are hidden decimals involved, and how 100% could also mean 99.5-99.6%. But I've played through the 360 version (which was awesome) and I never encountered these 100% hit issues. I would give this at least an 8 if it wasn't so glitchy. AThe PS3 version of this great strategy game is so buggy, it's almost unplayable. The worst is missing hits on 100% hit chances. Some players claim there are hidden decimals involved, and how 100% could also mean 99.5-99.6%. But I've played through the 360 version (which was awesome) and I never encountered these 100% hit issues. I would give this at least an 8 if it wasn't so glitchy. A 6/10 will have to suffice. Expand
  7. Feb 19, 2015
    Xcom enemy unknown is the newest addition in the Xcom series. While it remains a solid tactical squad based strategy game, it does not live up to the lofty presence of the original Xcom.

The series, for those unfamiliar with it, is based on leading a secret covert operations group, known as Xcom, as it attempts to secretly defend earth from an alien invasion. The game does allude to all of this being top secret, which seems a bit ridiculous as you play through the game, but that doesn't really matter to the gameplay. You act as supreme commander of the Xcom project, managing and building up a base of operations, sending out satellites to detect alien presence, managing the happiness of funding countries, researching and leading squads of up to six soldiers into battle that can then be leveled up as they gain experience.

The game, like any other game, has evolved with its modern iteration. It is a sharp, fun and responsive squad based strategy game that has streamlined a lot of the annoying micromanagement features of past games, but has also simplified things and put a cap on squad member leveling up. It is a more accessible, but simpler game than past generations. That is good for the casual player, new to the genre but a detractor to seasoned players who enjoy the complexity.

The game, in the most basic sense, plays like this. You have a base that you expand with various modules that you can build into your secret mountain hideaway. As you research new technologies new modules open up for upgrades or more efficient research. You launch satellites to gain funding from the various nation groups across the globe and to spot alien incursions. When incursions happen you deploy a squad of soldiers into a tactical, squad based "seek cover and advance" type gameplay that dictates a methodical approach to combat. As missions are failed or ignored panic will rise. Victories reduce panic. There are a handful of main story missions for advancing the game that are unlocked by certain milestones in the game, but the vast majority of missions are procedurally generated battles with aliens. There are basic research items, but as you kill aliens and do autopsies, capture and interrogate aliens, or shoot down and capture alien ships more research items are unlocked to gain better weapon and armor and new gadgets.

There are four basic classes. Assault, heavy (machine gunners), snipers and support (medics) which each have their own skill trees that you can utilize as they level up. All four classes are needed across the game to face different situations. Medics to stabilize downed squad members, snipers to provide cover, heavies to deal huge damage in short bursts and assault troops to act as front line combat soldiers.. Later in the game psionic abilities are added which add some more variety to your soldiers, but psionic abilities are rare and only have three tiers.

The aliens you face are variations on a few base models, but the variations offer enough change that the game continually changes and evolves as you proceed. New challenges are thrown at you every few missions that force you to think more carefully about how you combat the alien menace.

The game looks good. It won't blow anyone away. It has its own style, but nothing that really sticks out as uniquely distinct. The technical side of the graphics are good enough and slightly better than your run of the mill top down game. Sound effects are well done and add to the experience and the voice acting is well done with squad members reacting to the battle.

The controls on the PC are very easy to work with. Consoles are also surprisingly good, though moving the cursor around with the joysticks can be slow. The iPad controls are cumbersome and you can end up moving soldiers to areas you don't mean to because you have to press an area twice to move there.

If you like squad based strategy games you I would highly recommend Xcom, even in its simplified version. If you don't like strategy games I would say Xcom probably isn't for you. The game can be pretty brutal, and may frustrate you as your favorite squad members are killed. Overall, a good game for strategy fans that may fall a bit on the simple side for veterans of the genre.
  8. Nov 12, 2012
    I have to give this a 7 because there is not much there to justify $60 in my opinion. This would be a 9 as a PSN download for $20. Repetitive as it may be, the victories are rewarding and I always want to see what is coming next.
  9. Jan 20, 2013
    I am a huge xcom fan. I have played every game from UFO defense to Apocalypse. This Xcom is good however poor design decisions knock it down from being truly fantastic.
  10. Oct 26, 2012
    Demasiado corto,pocas investigaciones en comparacion con el apocalipsis, muy pero que muy corto, mala planificacion de los recursos tanto el dinero como los objetos, todos los objetos cuando matas a un alien se rompes por lo que solo se pueden o crear, que sale carisimos o cuando capturas a un alien (dificil de siempre).

La impresion es que van a sacar DLC por un tuvo para ampliarlo.

La impresion es que van a sacar DLC por un tuvo para ampliarlo.

El componente tactico esta bien , pero los alien tienen una punteria y sacan criticos constantemente mientras que tu a pesar de ganar la mision siempre acabas echo polvo y monton de dias en la enfermeria.

Le falta bastante para ajustarlo bien.
  11. Feb 11, 2013
    Fire Axis have done a great job of bringing this classic pc series upto date and on to consoles. A turn based stratedgy game. Console versions usually suffer due too the lack of pc mouse point and click but Fire Axis have done a great job of mapping the controls to the dual-shock pad every command is easily found even when in the heat of battle. Commands are not hidden behind unecessaryFire Axis have done a great job of bringing this classic pc series upto date and on to consoles. A turn based stratedgy game. Console versions usually suffer due too the lack of pc mouse point and click but Fire Axis have done a great job of mapping the controls to the dual-shock pad every command is easily found even when in the heat of battle. Commands are not hidden behind unecessary menus. Xcom enemy uknown is easy to pick up and hard to put down. A highly challenging stratedgy game were the games Ai will constantly work tooo beat you and suceed a lot. As you learn each enemy you will begin to progress. Difficulty is chosen by the player normal is the best starter option. Even players of the original will struggle with diving straight into classic mode. To research all the available technology trees will take many hours of play it can take well over 20hours to complete dependending on how you play. I have reached 40hours and have yet too complete it but my squad is fully upgraded with lazer guns and mind controll psi tech i researched from the aliens. squads and breeds of alien classes are many and varied each bringing there own challenges to the game. You must defend the earth from alien attack and must not lose 8 countries to the aliens or the over seeing council will terminate the x-com op. While trying to find the aliens main base and there leader. There is also a dlc story add on that adds a mission timer and new squad type. And a seperate dlc for character armor customisation. Over-all a must buy for stratedgy fans and a great introduction to stratedgy games for new players. Collapse

1. Nov 16, 2012
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown is a real sleeper hit. Save for repetitive level design, a basic online component, and some questionable voice acting, the game is magnificent. It may take longer than most to appreciate, but it never fails to deliver.
  2. With losing the United States, we also lost our biggest source of incoming funds. And no funding equals no means to combat the enemy. XCOM is all about long term planning, which we found out the hard way. [November 2012, p.58]
  3. Oct 23, 2012
    XCOM has more meaningful decisions and consequences than Mass Effect and more scares than Resident Evil. Turn-based strategy games are cool again. [Dec 2012, p.98]