7.3

1. Mar 6, 2014
    As a turn-based strategy game fan, this was my favorite of all time. I am a little unsettled that I had to shell out $40 for an upgraded, better version of the same game I played last year, but I won't let pricing effect the rating I give. I will, however, take a point away for running into a near miss campaign-ending freeze point during the base invasion. Luckily it wasn't during anAs a turn-based strategy game fan, this was my favorite of all time. I am a little unsettled that I had to shell out $40 for an upgraded, better version of the same game I played last year, but I won't let pricing effect the rating I give. I will, however, take a point away for running into a near miss campaign-ending freeze point during the base invasion. Luckily it wasn't during an iron man run or I wouldn't have been able to devise a plan to work around it. Great game. Now release a patch for the bugs and release any further expansions at expansion prices. Expand
  2. Nov 27, 2013
    This game I found almost exactly as addicting as it's predecessor, what makes it a true success isn't just the added little perks to game, but the additions to the story, showing a wider spectrum on the world and adding more flavor and ideas to the idea of a alien invasion. With the inclusion of a third party enemy looking to sabotage you, to the new inclusions in the story it actuallyThis game I found almost exactly as addicting as it's predecessor, what makes it a true success isn't just the added little perks to game, but the additions to the story, showing a wider spectrum on the world and adding more flavor and ideas to the idea of a alien invasion. With the inclusion of a third party enemy looking to sabotage you, to the new inclusions in the story it actually feels very fresh. It's also harder, it forces your tactics to change from previous games and with additions like Training roulette it also guarantee's true uniqueness in your soldiers as you go forward. It's not really any different from "Enemy Unknown," but the additions it includes definitely makes "Enemy unknown" the lesser product between the two.

If you like strategy games, or if you liked Enemy Unknown pick it up, you'll enjoy it.
  3. Mar 13, 2014
    Enemy Within could be a great game. All the necessary ingredients are present, however that is not all that the game brings to the table. There are numerous bugs that force the player to start over like corrupted save files or the game locked in an unresponsive state that can not be remedied by a restart of the console. Other faults include, but are not limited to erratic enemy movementEnemy Within could be a great game. All the necessary ingredients are present, however that is not all that the game brings to the table. There are numerous bugs that force the player to start over like corrupted save files or the game locked in an unresponsive state that can not be remedied by a restart of the console. Other faults include, but are not limited to erratic enemy movement and lines of fire.
    Some of these problem can be prevented by using only a limited set of features the game offers, others like a guaranteed crash of the game after certain amount of progress has been can not be avoided.

While these errors are not part of the product, they are what you pay for.
  4. Nov 20, 2013
    This would've scored much higher if it wasn't for all the bs with regards to it being an expansion pack when in truth its more like a goty with shiny knobs on it. Don't get me wrong enemy within has a lot of interesting tech and other such stuff like the 2 additional ebemy types and new maps but the bottom line is this, if it really is an expansion pack then why the hell does it cost £30This would've scored much higher if it wasn't for all the bs with regards to it being an expansion pack when in truth its more like a goty with shiny knobs on it. Don't get me wrong enemy within has a lot of interesting tech and other such stuff like the 2 additional ebemy types and new maps but the bottom line is this, if it really is an expansion pack then why the hell does it cost £30 for it? with the exception of WOW expansions this just a big a con as ultimate marvel vs capcom 3 which came out only a couple of months after the the original marvel vs capcom 3. Expand
  5. Jun 15, 2014
    XCOM Enemy Within is a great game but its more or less a carbon copy of XCOM Enemy Within. If you havent played Enemy Unknown then get Enemy Within as its got a few extra bits n pieces but otherwise if you already own Enemy Unknown dont bother, the 'changes' arent big enough to warrant a new purchase.
  6. Apr 2, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is surprisingly addicting. I enjoyed XCOM EU but Enemy Within just adds so much more. All previous DLC from EU, new characters and enemy types. You get new abilities, mechs, gene mods which make you character even more powerful and can give you a tactical advantage.
    I bought this game after hearing about it, thinking it was the same as EU, I thought I was not missing out on much but I was wrong.

If you have not played EU though, you can still jump into this one simply cause it's a decent expansion.
    If you're into squad based strategy games, this game in my opinion holds the crown(for console turn based RTS).
  7. Dec 15, 2013
    Enemy within is a refined, improved version of enemy unknown. It adds a number of existing features that improve it whilst still keeping the same core game. It is, however, still buggy as hell. I've lost two save game files to glitches and framerate is terrible in places. Still worth it though.
  8. Nov 18, 2013
    Xcom enemy within takes what was great about enemy unknown, and amplifies it tremendously. The new enmies are great, and the mech troops are very fun to use. However, there are a couple of things that are bad. First of all, xault are a joke, and are not a threat whatsoever. Secondly, the game is too easy. The inclusion of the mech troop and the gene mods means that you will reach the pointXcom enemy within takes what was great about enemy unknown, and amplifies it tremendously. The new enmies are great, and the mech troops are very fun to use. However, there are a couple of things that are bad. First of all, xault are a joke, and are not a threat whatsoever. Secondly, the game is too easy. The inclusion of the mech troop and the gene mods means that you will reach the point of invincibility a lot quicker. But overall, a great game, Expand
  9. Mar 23, 2014
    Last year, the reboot to the XCOM was outstanding. Its deep strategic game play lead to careful scheming between every move you make. With enough tenacity and mindful planning, every shot to our out-worldly invaders felt all the more satisfying. XCOM was so finely balanced every way through, I couldn't imagine adding anything that wouldn't break the formula. Despite this, Firaxis hasLast year, the reboot to the XCOM was outstanding. Its deep strategic game play lead to careful scheming between every move you make. With enough tenacity and mindful planning, every shot to our out-worldly invaders felt all the more satisfying. XCOM was so finely balanced every way through, I couldn't imagine adding anything that wouldn't break the formula. Despite this, Firaxis has released an expansion to its sci-fi strategy game that slides in so perfectly into this flow. The new additions as well as new game play elements adds new dimensions into the already deep experience.

If you have played the previous game, you will understand XCOM's nature. You play as the commander of the XCOM project, a program in charge of handling the extraterritorial invasion of Earth. At the base, you control the project's income through XCOM council requests as well as managing research projects, building facilities to strengthen your program, and scanning the planet for any alien activity. On the field, however, game play changes as you are put in command of a small squad of soldiers through turn-based combat. Both layers are rewarding in their own ways and Enemy Within cleverly adds to both.

The most significant addition is a new currency system called Meld. With it, you can biologically modify your soldiers with alien powers, from jumping to previously unattainable heights to the ability to see cloaked foes. Having trouble with a Sniper's accuracy? Equip an eye buff that adds to aim and line of sight. Are you getting tired of your soldiers firing upon their allies after being mind controlled? Add a brain mod to add to their will and mental defense.

If biological modifications aren't your thing, you can also create MECs for your soldiers. MECs are hulking cybersuits that add strength and durability at the cost of the use of cover during combat. Once a
    soldier is augmented for use of the MEC, they are removed of their class of Sniper, Heavy, etc. in favor of the new class, MEC trooper. This new class comes with its own skill tree as well as a buff that is
    fully dependent on the previous class of the soldier before augmentation. MECs themselves are also fully customizable and have a tree where you choose its weaponry and skill. A kinetic punch for close quarters and a flamethrower that fires and spreads across the battlefield are just a few of its equipment options. Each MEC also can be armed with heavy weaponry strictly for its class only, such as a Rail gun or Mini gun making it a powerful chose for every squad to have.

Meld can be obtained throughout missions strictly. During certain missions, Meld counters appear on the Hub acknowledging Meld canisters are within the area. Once a solider is near one, a turn counter appears numbering how many turns remain until you can grab the Meld before it detonates. This adds pressure to the combat as the player can scrub whole plans aside in pursuit of this valuable resource.
    Meld in its entirety doesn't remain in the bank for long so each trek can be profitable. Meld is a dangerous and profitable carrot on a stick adding to this already sweat-inducing formula.

The aliens won't make this pursuit any easier however. There are new enemy types as well to heat up combat situations. The new Seeker enemies are tentacle creatures that, as soon as they appear, cloak immediately and only reappear when they begin to strangle and stun your soldiers from actions. These new aliens encourage grouping your team together in close proximity to one another. The last thing anyone wants is their Sniper to be stunned and unable to support the team. Another new foe is the Mechtoid, a Sechtoid within its own MEC suit. These walking behemoths have the properties as the MEC making them a deadly foe on the field whenever one appears. Most are accompanied by a partner,
    Sechtoid that adds a shield to these menaces. With its shields and high attack power, these tanks
    become a walking powerhouse of chaos and cause for careful strategy.

XCOM: Enemy Within takes every element that made the original great and expands upon it. The numerous new features and enemies are fun to play with it and makes XCOM: Enemy Within the best way to play Firaxis’ reboot to the series. Anyone who loves a good challenge and an excellent sci-fi experience should give Enemy Within a shot.
  10. Jun 4, 2014
    I've never shared my full story about how terrible the bugs are in this game, so here it goes.

I played EU with little issues and enjoyed it, so figured I'd purchase the "stand alone expansion" and have more fun. I was disappointed when it became clear EW was not a new game but just the same game with a few tweaks, but that's on me for not doing my research. I played through the same

I played through the same old content to the point where I got to send a soldier on a covert mission. Fun! As I counted down the (game) days to new things besides meld, my base was attacked. Sweet! New! Exciting!

Then the base attack mission wouldn't load. You can see a video of what happens here (not my video, just someone else with the exact same problem): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8hUXCeJMkw

Spent a few hours trouble shooting, then finally found a PLAYER derived solution that involved uninstalling the game and NOT allowing the latest patch to load. After allowing the game to download over night, it worked! Yay new content!

Played a half hour. Got towards the middle of the base defense mission, then the game just sat there making sounds. Infinite alien spawn loop bug. Progress lost. Gave up for the night. Overnight my playstation auto updated. Opened up my save for the game in the base defense mission. Because the auto update had downloaded the newest patch, it would not load again. Uninstalled game. Downloaded game for the third time. Re-installed game for the third time.

Got to around the same place as before, saving frequently. This time the game crashed after an alien movement. Punched babies in frustration. Finished the one mission after two reinstalls and 2 complete crashes.
  11. Sep 21, 2014
    Weones ql q no cachan nada de weas de video juego este game es la cumbia!!! Chupenla pichula lo q le ponen un 7 mancos ql q ho cachan ni una wea hasta metascore cacha lo bueno del juego
  12. Feb 19, 2015
    Xcom Enemy Within is an updated version of Enemy Unknown. Enemy Within greatly improves on the somewhat simpler version of Xcom that was Enemy Unknown.

The series, for those unfamiliar with it, is based on leading a secret covert operations group, known as Xcom, as it attempts to secretly defend earth from an alien invasion. The game does allude to all of this being top secret, which seems a bit ridiculous as you play through the game, but that doesn't really matter to the gameplay. You act as supreme commander of the Xcom project, managing and building up a base of operations, sending out satellites to detect alien presence, managing the happiness of funding countries, researching and leading squads of up to six soldiers into battle that can then be leveled up as they gain experience.

The game, like any other game, has evolved with its modern iteration. It is a sharp, fun and responsive squad based strategy game that has streamlined a lot of the annoying micromanagement features of past games, but has also simplified things and put a cap on squad member leveling up. It is a more accessible, but simpler game than past generations.

The game, in the most basic sense, plays like this. You have a base that you expand with various modules that you can build into your secret mountain hideaway. As you research new technologies new modules open up for upgrades or more efficient research. You launch satellites to gain funding from the various nation groups across the globe and to spot alien incursions. When incursions happen you deploy a squad of soldiers into a tactical, squad based "seek cover and advance" type gameplay that dictates a methodical approach to combat. As missions are failed or ignored panic will rise. Victories reduce panic. There are a handful of main story missions for advancing the game that are unlocked by certain milestones in the game, but the vast majority of missions are procedurally generated battles with aliens. There are basic research items, but as you kill aliens and do autopsies, capture and interrogate aliens, or shoot down and capture alien ships more research items are unlocked to gain better weapon and armor and new gadgets.

There are four basic classes. Assault, heavy (machine gunners), snipers and support (medics) which each have their own skill trees that you can utilize as they level up. All four classes are needed across the game to face different situations. Medics to stabilize downed squad members, snipers to provide cover, heavies to deal huge damage in short bursts and assault troops to act as front line combat soldiers.. Later in the game psionic abilities are added which add some more variety to your soldiers, but psionic abilities are rare and only have three tiers. In Enemy Within a new addition is Meld which can be used to upgrade soldiers genetically or cybernetically. This adds a lot more variety to the class structures, allowing you to turn your favorite soldiers into cybernetic MEC's or upgrade them genetically to improve their abilities and durability. Personally, I found MEC's not terribly useful and fairly resource intensive in terms of Meld, which is a very limited resource, but the genetic alterations had great affects and were well worth the cost.

The Enemy Within expansion also adds a good variety of missions if you count the smaller addons with it. There are new covert operations to locate and eliminate a secret organization known as Exalt that is out to hamper your efforts. There is also another series of missions focused on a Chinese criminal orgainization. Overall, they are nice addition of scripted, story missions.

The aliens you face are variations on a few base models, but the variations offer enough change that the game continually changes and evolves as you proceed. New challenges are thrown at you every few missions that force you to think more carefully about how you combat the alien menace.

The game looks good. It won't blow anyone away. It has its own style, but nothing that really sticks out as uniquely distinct. The technical side of the graphics are good enough and slightly better than your run of the mill top down game. Sound effects are well done and add to the experience and the voice acting is well done with squad members reacting to the battle.

The controls on the PC are very easy to work with. Consoles are also surprisingly good, though moving the cursor around with the joysticks can be slow. The iPad controls are cumbersome and you can end up moving soldiers to areas you don't mean to because you have to press an area twice to move there.

Enemy Within is a much improved version of Enemy Unknown. It adds additional complexity, options, missions types and squad improvements to the game. Ultimately, the game is still on the simple side, but the added content really pushes the game into the replayable multiple times enjoyment level. I would recommend for strategy fans who may have been turned off by Enemy Unknown's simplicity.

1. Dec 4, 2013
    XCOM: Enemy within significantly expands on XCOM: Enemy Unknown and because of that, die hard fans or newcomers are advised to get it. It's a shame the developers didn't do anything about the bugs though, since they're still very present.
  2. All of the augmentations do not unbalance what was already a near-perfect formula. Do yourself a favour, step out of your genre-rut and buy this gem today. [Christmas 2013, p74]
  3. Nov 11, 2013
    The game often throws you curveballs; you can easily have a rookie wander too deep into the battlefield and suddenly alert three units of enemies. However, dealing with the bad hands you’re dealt is what makes XCOM’s battles so exciting – and often leads to creative problem solving.