• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Mar 15, 2011
7.9

1. Dec 20, 2014
    I love this game, every time I think it's almost over something else happens and it gets even longer. I haven't had a game last me this many play hours in a long time, and I have hardly done any of the optional quests yet. I guess I need to do this one by category.

Combat: It's fun, not amazing or anything, I would say a lot like the Batman Arkham series, but without the need to use certain attacks for certain foes. You can upgrade your attacks in different ways by leveling up, and there are many different upgrades to chose from. You can also equip weapons(sledgehammers, bats, guns), or pick up things off the ground (signs, bicycles, couches...). All in all, combat gets an 8/10 for being both fun and brutal.

Story: Amazing, I am on the last chapter and watching everything unfold is great. It's certainly the highlight of the game with a little bit of everything. I want to write more on this, but I don't want to give anything away, 10/10 hands down the best story I have seen in a game this console generation.

Side missions: There are a lot, and they are great. Some of the side missions are stories in themselves and certainly add a lot of depth to the game. Again I can't say much about them without giving spoilers, but it's easily a 10/10 as well.

Graphics: Stunning, the character models alone are great, which made it very clear why the game was a 22 gig download. The city is vibrant, and well constructed as well. The only thing that could be considered bad is that you end up seeing a lot of the same faces as random encounters, but again, the game is already 22 gigs, so I will only take off 1 point for that. I will give the graphics a 9/10.

Audio: it's all in Japanese and some Chinese, so you will have to do a lot of reading, which is something I don't really care for, but it's well worth doing. The music doesn't really stand out, mostly just random scores that are meant to match the mood of the scenario, which is about what you would expect from this type of game. I would give it a 7/10, but it's certainly not an aspect I care about either.

Mini-games: I don't even know how to rate these. There are just so many, and some are bad, while some are very entertaining. But I don't think you have to do any of them for the main story line or side quests, or at least not do well on them. Most of them are easy to pick up after some getting used to, but hard to master. Some of the mini games are; bowling, ping pong, batting cages, arcade shooter, arcade crane game, fishing, darts, golf, pool, and an entire assortment of casino games. I am sure I am missing some, but all in all I would give the mini games a 10/10 for numbers, and a 6/10 for functionality, so sum it up at about 8/10.

All in all, I really want to give this game a 10/10, but feel a 9/10 is more fair. I loved it any think anyone not willing to pay the 20 dollars for the download is crazy. Just keep in mind, it is 22 gigs, so make sure you have to room before you download!
  2. Jun 1, 2014
    This game is a "Japan Simulator". If you ever wanted to visit Tokyo then this is the closest thing you can get. Yakuza 4 accurately represents the real Kabukicho in Shinjuko, Tokyo with real Stores like the Don Quijote, Poopo etc. and real products like Boss Coffee and many many more. This is virtual tourism at it's best. The world is highly detailed and feels and looks very realistic andThis game is a "Japan Simulator". If you ever wanted to visit Tokyo then this is the closest thing you can get. Yakuza 4 accurately represents the real Kabukicho in Shinjuko, Tokyo with real Stores like the Don Quijote, Poopo etc. and real products like Boss Coffee and many many more. This is virtual tourism at it's best. The world is highly detailed and feels and looks very realistic and is on a level with Rockstar titles. I think R* and the Yakuza Team are by far the best developers when it comes to Open World, Sandbox games.

Yakuza 4 is very story driven like the Metal Gear Series and has a ton of high quality cutscenes and massive dialogues. If you want to completely dive in in a video game universe with japan/yakuza themes then this game is heaven.

I think Yakuza 4 is one of the best games if not the best game for PS3!
  3. Jul 9, 2013
    Four bad-ass characters, 100 billion yen, one amazing story. Yakuza 4 takes everything good about Yakuza 3, reduces the amount of kids and generously rains awesomeness on the player.
  4. Apr 6, 2013
    just another beautiful game in a beautiful series with an amazing story featuring new characters with new unique fighting styles its just a master piece its a must buy and i think its one of the most under rated games of all time this game deserves a metacritic score of 96/100 Yakuza kills GTA
  5. Nov 11, 2012
    I started playing this game and realised it was missing a certain something.
    When it hit me I almost fell out of my chair.
    None of these guys can Hadouken!
    What is this? Has Street Fighter lied to me all my life?
    Spiky hair, Japanese tough guy, no hadouken. Hopefully it will be fixed for next game.
  6. Oct 22, 2012
    Played this game, and as usual, the humorous sidequests and exaggerated cinematic are what made this game so good. I agree that this game is quite "macho" for some but come one, this is how you roll like a Japanese gangster. haha. The graphic is like the old one, not significant improvement if not none, also you only get to explore Kamurocho this time, no more other areas like Onikawa.Played this game, and as usual, the humorous sidequests and exaggerated cinematic are what made this game so good. I agree that this game is quite "macho" for some but come one, this is how you roll like a Japanese gangster. haha. The graphic is like the old one, not significant improvement if not none, also you only get to explore Kamurocho this time, no more other areas like Onikawa. They made Kamurocho a lot more fun to explore though, by introducing rooftop and underground areas. Also this time, you get to control other characters instead of just Kiryu. Overall, if you are hoping to see nice graphics, this game might not be for you for this is those games which rely on content, such as gameplay, story, sidequests, mini games, very heavily. Expand
  7. Jun 15, 2012
    The japanese make very unique games when they want, and Yakuza 4 is a good example. The story and characters in this game are uniques, and well constructed, like most japanese games. Right now i have 80 hours of gameplay, and still have a lot of things to do.
  8. Apr 16, 2012
    I never played Yakuza before, but I can now say that it's one of the best games I have ever played!The atmosphere and story are incredible!The fighting is very addictive.Do yourself a favor and buy this!
  9. Apr 4, 2012
    The good story, many sidequests and good representation of Tokyo make up for the sometimes repetitive and outdated gameplay. Technically, it plays like a PS2 game and the graphics aren't great, though the cutscenes are amazing. The interesting characters and the unlockable, brutal moves will keep you playing through to the end, but don't expect a great brawler.
  10. Apr 2, 2012
    Yukuza 4 is an excellent game. The free roaming RPG mechanics and real world locations are back in force, as is the brutal / hilarious combat. In fact... Not much at all has changed since Yakuza 3. It is a bit disappointing to have the old Kamarochou as your only explorable location and Yakuza 3's Okinawa sprawl is certainly missed. That said, Yakuza 4 IS a better game than it'sYukuza 4 is an excellent game. The free roaming RPG mechanics and real world locations are back in force, as is the brutal / hilarious combat. In fact... Not much at all has changed since Yakuza 3. It is a bit disappointing to have the old Kamarochou as your only explorable location and Yakuza 3's Okinawa sprawl is certainly missed. That said, Yakuza 4 IS a better game than it's predecessor. This is not so much due to the now re-instated hostess clubs (which were annoyingly edited out of part 3), but due to the fantastic plot, which weaves together the stories of four different playable characters (each with a unique fighting style). It's a pleasure to see the plot's mysteries slowly unravel and the characters thread's inevitably come together. I don't want to spoil the ending, but jeez, I'll just say: BEST END BOSS FIGHT EVER! The game is at turns funny, touching and totally bonkers. But it is always very, very entertaining. Expand
  11. Mar 23, 2012
    Yakuza 4 is a really deep and immersive experience with a really enjoyable story and really fun combat, with more characters and more locations than Yakuza 3 but be warned that's "slow food", a "gourmet" game, not a fast run 'n gun one. With improved graphics than its predecessor, original jap voices, plenty of minigames and unlockables and its ability to recreate the atmosphere of a TokyoYakuza 4 is a really deep and immersive experience with a really enjoyable story and really fun combat, with more characters and more locations than Yakuza 3 but be warned that's "slow food", a "gourmet" game, not a fast run 'n gun one. With improved graphics than its predecessor, original jap voices, plenty of minigames and unlockables and its ability to recreate the atmosphere of a Tokyo district (even if fictional) is a real gem in the actual videogames landscape and it's completely worth the fee. If someone doesn't like the Japan culture could start to appreciate it playing this game. By my side nothing less than 10. Expand
  12. Mar 12, 2012
    I don't think this is GTA in Japan. It's something else. The story is alright, but what you get is better than most games. The graphics are decent as well. The gameplay is alright. The minigames are alright. What makes this game good is all of those aspects combined. The game is sort of open world, there is a lot of things to do besides the main story. When I beat the game, I was only 10%I don't think this is GTA in Japan. It's something else. The story is alright, but what you get is better than most games. The graphics are decent as well. The gameplay is alright. The minigames are alright. What makes this game good is all of those aspects combined. The game is sort of open world, there is a lot of things to do besides the main story. When I beat the game, I was only 10% done! Some of the cutscenes are fun to watch, and occasionally funny. There is nothing too cringeworthy here, just pure japanese gaming bliss. Expand
  13. Apr 18, 2011
    the game play is ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE but the story is AMAZING. Overall the game is decent but in order to enjoy the story you have to go through some extremely tedious gameplay. The choice is yours whether or not the story is worth it.
  14. Mar 24, 2011
    If i had to choose a word to describe this game it would be DEEP. The amount of content in this game is off the limits. There's tons of things to discover, lots of entertaining side-quests, mini-games which actually doesn't seem mini at all... You could play this game forever and you would always find something new to do. Of course it's not a perfect game. Movements look a bit too roboticIf i had to choose a word to describe this game it would be DEEP. The amount of content in this game is off the limits. There's tons of things to discover, lots of entertaining side-quests, mini-games which actually doesn't seem mini at all... You could play this game forever and you would always find something new to do. Of course it's not a perfect game. Movements look a bit too robotic and the unvoiced dialogs (typical in the series) may turn down some but overall this is a great game that will give you hours and hours of fun. Expand
  15. Mar 23, 2011
    An absolute joy to play. Graphically superior to 3 with 4 separate story arcs. Fun combat and the entirety of the original is completely intact. I honestly don't know what some of these so called game critics want.
  16. Mar 22, 2011
    Ah Yakuza 4 how i have waited for you and the wait was so worth it. This game which is the forth entry in the yakuza series to come to america. I personally love this series it is my favorite. I love the story, the gameplay everything. It expands on everything that 3 had and made it better. From the additions to chases and bringing back the hostess clubs there is a lot to do here. TheAh Yakuza 4 how i have waited for you and the wait was so worth it. This game which is the forth entry in the yakuza series to come to america. I personally love this series it is my favorite. I love the story, the gameplay everything. It expands on everything that 3 had and made it better. From the additions to chases and bringing back the hostess clubs there is a lot to do here. The dragon himself returns Kazuma Kiryu and with new friends. The three new guys are Shun Akiyama, Taiga Saejima, and Masayoshi Tanimura each with their own stories and special sidemissions. I wont tell much of the story but it is the best in my opinion. If have a ps3 and like yakuza get this game. Expand
  17. Mar 20, 2011
    This is a game about the mob, its a brawler with many side quests. The story is very deep. With lots of twists. You really feel for the characters in the game. And yes its packed with lots of mini games. Which has an great quality over it. If you've played mini games from Super Monkey Ball. Like Monkey Billiards and Bowling and such mini games. The feel is very similar and accurate andThis is a game about the mob, its a brawler with many side quests. The story is very deep. With lots of twists. You really feel for the characters in the game. And yes its packed with lots of mini games. Which has an great quality over it. If you've played mini games from Super Monkey Ball. Like Monkey Billiards and Bowling and such mini games. The feel is very similar and accurate and very entertaining. Also anyone that likes japanese culture just a little, would probably like to make babies with this game. It has eng subs and japanese speech to preserve to original feel of asian mobster voice acting. As they have their own words and curse words. Its interesting and It feels natural to listen to them shouting in japanese with deep voices. I highly recommend this game from the deepest reaches of my heart to anyone that likes Japanese culture or this could work as an introduction for you. Expand
  18. Mar 20, 2011
    Yakuza 4 is a game about the japanese mob, its a brawler with many side quests. The story is very deep. With lots of twists. You really feel for the characters in the game. Many people compare it to gta. But its not trying to be gta. It the spiritual successor to SHENMUE so its more like that. And yes its packed with lots of minigames. Which has a japanese quality over it. If you'veYakuza 4 is a game about the japanese mob, its a brawler with many side quests. The story is very deep. With lots of twists. You really feel for the characters in the game. Many people compare it to gta. But its not trying to be gta. It the spiritual successor to SHENMUE so its more like that. And yes its packed with lots of minigames. Which has a japanese quality over it. If you've played minigames from Super Monkey Ball. Like Monkey Billiards and Bowling and such mini games. The feel is very similar and accurate and very entertaining. Also anyone that likes japanese culture just a little, would probably like to make babies with this game. It has eng subs and japanese speech to preserve to original feel of Yakuza voice acting. As the Yakuza has their own words and curse words. Its interesting and It feels natural to listen to them shouting in japanese with deep voices. I highly recommend this game from the deepest reaches of my heart to anyone that likes Japanese culture or this could work as an introduction for you. Expand
  19. Mar 18, 2011
    I find again the true flavour of old time games in the gameplay. Very entertaining, the european version isn't cut as Yakuza 3 was, as you can now have fun with all the mini-games of the city (including the hostesses in the bars!). Sega choosed to make us follow four different protagonists to renovate the gameplay, resulting a clever and very deep scanario.
    Sega's back! Waiting impatiently
    Sega's back! Waiting impatiently for Yakuza of the End!
  20. Mar 17, 2011
    Now's the time to play the most underrated game of all time. This is one of the few games that can tell a great story, worry not if you're a newcomer, the games story can be enjoyed throughly even if you haven't played a previous game. Check out a few game play videos and see how brutal the combat really us. Aren't you tired of shooting people in the face already? Wouldn't you rather beatNow's the time to play the most underrated game of all time. This is one of the few games that can tell a great story, worry not if you're a newcomer, the games story can be enjoyed throughly even if you haven't played a previous game. Check out a few game play videos and see how brutal the combat really us. Aren't you tired of shooting people in the face already? Wouldn't you rather beat someone down with a Pylon? Not convinced yet, then read this:http://kotaku.com/#!5772702/ping+pong-for-perverts-courtesy-of-video-games. Yeah there's a mini-game where you play ping pong with a hostess and get bonus points for looking at her breast without getting caught....You've been missing out. Buy it Expand
  21. Mar 17, 2011
    Well, Yakuza 3, despite all the cuts, was a good game. Yakuza 4 on the other hand is an awesome piece of software. There are TONS, of things to do. It put´s games like GTA, Saint´s Row and Dead Dead Redemption a run for their money. It is also a game who faitly recreates Japan Red Light District and so, if you never went there it is a nice chance to now what youWell, Yakuza 3, despite all the cuts, was a good game. Yakuza 4 on the other hand is an awesome piece of software. There are TONS, of things to do. It put´s games like GTA, Saint´s Row and Dead Dead Redemption a run for their money. It is also a game who faitly recreates Japan Red Light District and so, if you never went there it is a nice chance to now what you are missing.
    To bad many people will pass this one up it should be the GOTY of this year. I urge those not so closed minded to give it a try, i´m sure you like it quite a bit because it is and Awesome game. I tried to give it a 10/10 here but the Metacritic seems to have trouble with my Score.
  22. Mar 16, 2011
    For the last time, these game critics can't do their job. IGN gave this game a 65%...Seriously? IGN? You guys need to fire this guy, Greg Miller. Quote "There's a ton of stuff to do. You could spend dozens of hours on the side quests. However, I won't because the game mechanics just feel old." It seems that Greg decided to write his little review right after rushing through the story mode,For the last time, these game critics can't do their job. IGN gave this game a 65%...Seriously? IGN? You guys need to fire this guy, Greg Miller. Quote "There's a ton of stuff to do. You could spend dozens of hours on the side quests. However, I won't because the game mechanics just feel old." It seems that Greg decided to write his little review right after rushing through the story mode, leaving out the side quests and mini-games. I mean come on, you get paid to review games. At the very least, TRY to actually complete the game and experience the whole package offered by the game. How do you judge a game when you didn't even finish half of what the game really is (and which is what makes it unique as no other game in the market offers anything similar)---that is, exploring the vibrant open world on the streets of Tokyo and experiencing all the fun witty mini-games and Japanese wacky humor-packed side missions. Greg's review is like when someone bought a novel, then just glanced through the summary on the back of the book and thinks he's done reading the book. To give this game a score of 65% is insulting, not only to the game developer and the people reading the review, but also the reviewer himself. You know that this game deserves better. 65% means this game is just as bad as crappy games like Def Jam: Icon, Kane & Lynch, Zombie Apocalypse and Hamsterball. Really? Expand
  23. Mar 16, 2011
    Never played a game of the series before. I see that this was a bad mistake. Nice to see how much game you can get for your money. Content DOES matter. You are nowadays often paying a high-price for graphically (a good engine costs money) much more impressive games but they barely entertain you for a week. Here you will get a still pretty decent looking game with a rich replay value andNever played a game of the series before. I see that this was a bad mistake. Nice to see how much game you can get for your money. Content DOES matter. You are nowadays often paying a high-price for graphically (a good engine costs money) much more impressive games but they barely entertain you for a week. Here you will get a still pretty decent looking game with a rich replay value and motivating level-systems for your daily gangster-beat-up :)

BUY THIS!
  24. Mar 16, 2011
    i really love the yakuza series so much. it seems like an improvement from yakuza 3. you also get to play as 3 other people so why wouldn't it be better?
  25. Mar 16, 2011
    I really enjoyed playing this, and personally can't think of anything that I would want changed. The graphics are definitelyI really enjoyed playing this, and personally can't think of anything that I would want changed. The graphics are definitely noteworthy.                        Expand
  26. Mar 16, 2011
    i really think sega out did themselves with this sequel. almost every aspect from 3 has been improved and expanded upon. City, NPCs, characters, voices presentation wise have been improved significantly. weather effects like rain have been added. day and night cycle. combat feels and plays alot smoother, but yes sometimes its hard to lock on but its a minor problem. the story and pacingi really think sega out did themselves with this sequel. almost every aspect from 3 has been improved and expanded upon. City, NPCs, characters, voices presentation wise have been improved significantly. weather effects like rain have been added. day and night cycle. combat feels and plays alot smoother, but yes sometimes its hard to lock on but its a minor problem. the story and pacing are alot better and flows very well. playing as 4 characters back to back makes the game feel less like a grind or repetitive. each character has a unique personality and back story. i cared what happened to each character. even the Kiryu (main character of the whole series) has been improved with more insight on his back story and even more fighting techniques and attacks. one of the weak parts of 3 in my opinion of the redundant sub stories. there are less sub stories in 4 but they feel significant and not redundant. for note the game is 99% true to its original Japanese content. the only cut content are the opening song because of licensing issues, and a trivia game called Answer x Answer. barely noticeable this game is brimming with content. so go buy it now. Expand

1. Aug 8, 2011
    It often seems like Yakuza 4 is conspiring against itself, holding its own cool features back behind technology and game design. It's not that Yakuza 4 is a bad game, but rather that too many of the game's eccentricities don't work in its favor.
  2. May 24, 2011
    This game is crazy as all the Yakuza games before. The graphics are not that good but the details of the virtual Japan are truly thrilling.
  3. May 23, 2011
    If the Yakuza series were merely the sole franchise keeping the long tradition of the 3D brawler alive, it would be worthy of praise. The fact that it manages to do that while also offering some of the best storytelling in the industry-and that it accomplishes these things essentially once a year-all combine to make it one of the most impressive series around. Yakuza 4 comes from the best possible video game pedigree, and it does its predecessors proud.