7.8

1. Dec 12, 2013
    This is the most fun I've had playing an Assassin's Creed game, but like the other titles, the absurd and heavy-handed narrative get's in the way of all the fun. The combat is mindless and boring, and the occasional dramatic woosh & slow-motion finishing move is a needless distraction to the obscene unilateral violence I'm dolling out. The story missions are tedious, the difficultyThis is the most fun I've had playing an Assassin's Creed game, but like the other titles, the absurd and heavy-handed narrative get's in the way of all the fun. The combat is mindless and boring, and the occasional dramatic woosh & slow-motion finishing move is a needless distraction to the obscene unilateral violence I'm dolling out. The story missions are tedious, the difficulty birthed out of attempts to navigate the somewhat wonky free-running and stealth mechanics (both feel terribly outdated).

But naval battles are fun! An upgradeable ship with scaling boarding mechanics really steals the show, but doesn't feel fleshed out enough as 'black flag' sounds like a game that would focus on naval combat Your ship occupies a moderate category not too big, not too small going up against various size ships, but after your begin to upgrade, your small ship feels invincible boarding becomes an annoying array of strategies to blow up barrels, kill officers, cut down flags, and massacre an arbitrary number of red-shirt-like crew members. It feels like an afterthought, and I would've liked more flexibility in ship size and firepower, allowing players to play dart like schooners against man o' wars. Sure it doesn't really fit the whole 'playing through history' idea the series has been based on, but to be fair: the restrictions of playing through history are conveniently employed: mostly for blocking players out of areas so they'll progress the story.

Although the world is big, large islands rarely have more than a sand bar or two to explore for collectables, all are surrounded by a homogenous cliff- with-jungle texture.

I did enjoy myself but AC has begun to feel stale on delivery. Combat is too simple, story is garbage grandiose pseudo-religious futurist schmaltz, open-world if open-world is long pretty stretches of road between prefab cities. It loses in the details and that's the only reason I love big company productions like these details afforded by huge sums of money and large development teams.
  2. Dec 12, 2013
    In a small summary:
    BEST sea game ever, hands down.
    a very AVERAGE assassins creed game, absolutely nothing special other than what is in the sailing and WORST pirate game I've ever played. The absolute worst and most disappointing thing about this game is they will never be able to redo this. I understand that the whole open world sailing was an ENORMOUS accomplishment, that aspect
    In a small summary:
    BEST sea game ever, hands down.
    and WORST pirate game I've ever played.

The absolute worst and most disappointing thing about this game is they will never be able to redo this. I understand that the whole open world sailing was an ENORMOUS accomplishment, that aspect was absolutely fabulous. In no way am I knocking that, but I have to say there were three things about this game that in my opinion made it go from what could have been a 10 to a 6.5.

The assassins story was way too rushed and way too little. There is almost 0 character building, I'm not saying characters dont develop, but there is no building up to it, suddenly with no story things vastly change. (compared to ac3, id give 5/5 for story and this 3/5)
    The Pirate story was the real death of this game in my opinion. Kenway is clearly more of a pirate than a templar, yet his wardobe is assassin, which..I understand, but give it a pirate kick to it, for god's sake at least give the man a captains hat when your in his status. Then the fact that all of the pirates are friends...that was a knife to the heart. I know how disappointed i was at the lack of drunkards running around, of other pirates trying to steal from you; of gun shots in the streets of tortuga or ANYTHING piratey. It was pretty much just like any other ac game except sailing ships, and seeing other famous pirates. I at least really can't explain enough how entirely I was disappointed by the pirate story. There should have been two main stories going on side by side, his two lives being shown instead of craming them together in an extremely half assed way.
    Lastly, the grpahics were great, sure. In my opinion though that doesnt mean much when they cant include such simple and small things such as when I wear armor that doesnt have a hood, dont have the cut and paste action of him pulling his hood up. That the way that blackbeard talks about you in the intro you would think that people would treat you the way they fear, children and women should run, the guards should know who you are all the time with no way from relieving you of that other than staying in pirate territory.

All in all, i would play ac3 for the fourth time before ac4 the second. Solely because of how disappointing how short and small the game was after all the hype, and how horrible they did with the pirate side.
  3. Dec 27, 2013
    I'll admit that the new Assassin's Creed game is brilliant, but it's not what I wanted.
    Firstly, the world is far larger, and great, you can explore the Caribbean via ship whenever you want, there's no loading between going onto the ship and onto land, however, larger settlements do require a bit of loading (Nassau, Kingston/Port Royal, Havana). It's by far the best game of the series and has a number of side-actives.

However; the game's storyline is like a mix of set mini-games. For me, I expected multiple endings but no just like assassin's creed III, you have to do all the set objectives and optional objectives if you are aiming for 100% completion. I would accept this if the game was actually COMPLETELY historically accurate, and yet you can go around taking huge forts with one ship which is pretty dire.

I also felt slightly let down by the modern day storyline, which feels like some sad, boring video you are forced to watch, where you do nothing. Little is actually accomplished in this segment of the game.

The multiplayer is the exact same as AC3, apart from "Game Lab", which allows players to make their own games. However, it's almost impossible to find ones previously played on ie. Frantic mode ?
    Uplay doesn't even work right, it constantly asks for the redemption code and I can't get ANY ac3 exclusives despite signing up for ACinitiates.

The side-actives are more like collectibles, which you can no longer do upon completing and run out pretty quickly.

I was also annoyed with the "Freedom Cry" DLC you play as another pirate and visit Port-au-Prince, which is good. However, Edward cannot access this area? Why is this I feel that this is awkward as it doesn't allow me to explore the area as him (which I would have preferred).

It's a great game which I highly recommend, but the areas which I wanted to change didn't...
    I am most annoyed with Uplay which is just terrible.
  4. Apr 18, 2014
    Where do i begin, the setting is very welcoming and colourful, the characters are quite well written with some believable dialogue. There are plenty of things to do but as with many none rpg games they get extremely repetitive with silly trivial and tedious items to collect, and other menial tasks like escort missions and killing a certain amount of enemies. The controls are extremelyWhere do i begin, the setting is very welcoming and colourful, the characters are quite well written with some believable dialogue. There are plenty of things to do but as with many none rpg games they get extremely repetitive with silly trivial and tedious items to collect, and other menial tasks like escort missions and killing a certain amount of enemies. The controls are extremely irritating and inconsistent, you have to do things in increments, you cant play the game in a fluid manner, for example upon defeating a enemy ship, and are about to board you walk up to your swivel gun mounted on the side of the ship and you cant press the interact button straight away you have to wait for about a second for your character to come to a halt then do so. It gets so infuriating. your character gets stuck to walls and ledges when you don't want to, it practically ruins the game alone. The graphics are ridiculous for a new generation of console, cause its cheaper for ubisoft to use a old engine than produce a new one. There are many auto save glitches as well i was at 33% then the next time i booted up the game it was at 25% i lost about 8-10 hours of progress so after that i just sold it back. The storyline is ridiculously far fetched and pathetic. I wanted to like it really, but it was wrought with repetition and frustration. Expand
  5. Mar 20, 2014
    This game is repetitive and boring. Having to sail hours of your life away is by no means fun. AC2 remains the only game I have enjoyed to the end in this series.
  6. Jan 23, 2014
    Es un buen juego con respecto a assassins creed 3, pero como el 3, tiene bugs. todavia no es posbile realizar los "eventos" para el trofeo y al parecer ubisoft se olvido de esto.
  7. Jun 3, 2014
    Assassin's creed: Black flag is interesting in the fact that, while giving the appearance of a fresh new,massive world, it becomes clear after a few hours of hands on time, that assassin's creed black flag is indeed just another game in the franchise with a new coat of paint.

While the setting may have changed from European mainlands, to beautiful Caribbean island locations; the game-play has widely remained unchanged. From the typical tail the NPC missions, to the unchanged combat mechanics, dated character animations, and physics.That' s not to say this game doesn't have its moments, because it certainly does.

Sailing the high seas is extremely enjoyable, while also taking in the beautiful locations and activities the game has to offer.

The new setting offers pretty oceans and islands, it really isn't that graphically outstanding.
    Quite disappointing really.

This game is a fun and entertaining one, it just doesn't offer anything drastically new or innovating for the series. Being an assassin's creed game, you should truly know what to expect.
  8. Oct 8, 2014
    It was fun but like all Assassin creed games only the first time really counts.

the goods o naval combat was amazing and taking on man of wars is always fun o naval Songs was great o very little load screens o a true open world experience o combat is as always top notch the bads o main character not really an assassin (kinda lame considering its assassins creed) o underwater
    It was fun but like all Assassin creed games only the first time really counts.

the goods
    o naval combat was amazing and taking on man of wars is always fun
    o naval Songs was great
    o very little load screens
    o a true open world experience
    o combat is as always top notch
    the bads
    o underwater diving was kinda lame
    o the story in general is really getting confusing
  9. Sep 7, 2014
    AC3 over AC4
    AC3 over AC4
    I think that this is a wonderful game in terms of graphics but I think everything else was horrible. Being on the water was one of the worst experiences and this was really downgrade from AC3. The missions and side missions were not intriguing especially the ones on the water. AC3 was fine because only a tiny bit of the game was on the sea so it was sort of a nice change yet I wouldn't applaud it. The fighting was way too easy, anyone could take out a group of 1,000,000 guys by them self! The game forced you to play the missions and not just roam around because if you did you couldn't do anything! If you make a game like that at least make the missions fun! you didn't need any strategy or be stealthy at all you could just run right into a fort. AC3 over AC4
  10. Dec 14, 2013
    I've tried every Assassin's Creed game, and generally walk away very disappointed by the poor mission structures and repetitiveness of what's asked of you. I've never been able to push myself to finish a single one.
    That said, this game is a real love/hate for me. I hate most of the campaign missions, where you sneak along behind someone to listen to their conversation, or chase someone through the game's glitchy and often infuriating "parkour" system. But I love the high seas bits. The sea shanties sung by your crew, the intense battles, the feeling of wanderlust. I wish this amazing pirate adventure wasn't stapled to yet another boring Assassin's Creed game. I had a lot of fun with this game, but didn't get past the fourth or so campaign mission before trading it in.
  11. Mar 13, 2014
    I'm new and I know nothing of Assassin's Creed. My take:

I'm new and I know nothing of Assassin's Creed. My take:

The game mostly assume's you are familiar with the AC games, you will find yourself wondering about the modern day desk job cutscene and sometimes wondering where to go and what to do. The sync thing isn't explained (where the map reveals itself slowly) among other things. So expect to wonder about things and how things work the first few hours of the game. I asked a friend to fill me in a bit and that helped.

Basically its a pirate world with things to collect and things to kill. Not much else.

The world is pretty but everything feels static. Nothing is really interactive. Its nice to have a colorful vibrant world but for me it didnt seem real or immersive. Mainly because I felt like I was a superhero running around in the city filled with automatons who did basically nothing. Nobody moves or acts like you so it makes the whole thing seem fake. It's hard to explain.

Its fun at times but more often that not I got bored. If you love collecting things and killing things then this game is pretty good (or if you love pirates). Personally I found the enemiespeople rather stupid and easy to "assassinate". Basically walk right up to them and click the "assassinate" button and your done. Rinse, repeat. There's the occasion where you chase after some normal person who hops around roofs better than you do and also another side activity like waiting patiently to pounce upon or chase some flying musical note.

The storyline and stealth game play leave much to be desired. Its absurd but I can see it being fun for some people, maybe just not for me.
  12. Nov 26, 2013
    Assassin's Creed 4: 90% pirate, 10% assassin. To see a summary of this review scroll to the end.

Ubisoft went ahead and did the obvious. They took, the best part of Assassin's Creed 3, really the only really good part, and made a game out of it. Literally, they retrofitted the game engine used in the previous title into this a new game, while barely adding or changing anything. This whole game felt like an AC 3.1, rather than a new title.. which, I wouldn't have had a problem with, if they would have fixed the problems that plagued AC3, or actually gave us a good, satisfying story, like AC2, but they didn't.

Assassin's Creed wasn't particularly good when it came to game mechanics, AC1 and 2 were kind of bad actually, instead, it was built by it's amazing storytelling, beautiful setting, and wonderful soundtrack. I still listen to Ezio's Family by Jesper Kyd from AC2. That song brings back a kind of emotions that I rarely feel with games. AC4, however delivers only one of these, the setting. I'm going to start by criticizing the story itself. It's terrible. First off, it has nothing to do with Assassins, they barely make a cameo appearance, both inside and outside the Animus. The whole game revolves around pirates, and that wouldn't be a problem, if it was a good story. And it starts out good, but then it gets riddled with plot holes, poor writing, scenes that don't make sense, and although they stayed away from the obvious parrot cliches, they added a bunch of them story-wise. The story does make a few twists, but most of them you'll see coming a mily away, and most of them don't make sense. There is no main enemy in the game, and most of the things that happen in the game make no sense. And if you were expecting a great ending.. don't.. it is terrible. The only plot-twist you won't see coming in this game is the ending.. they drop it on you out of nowhere, just when you were expecting the game would truly begin, and then they hit you in the face with a poorly done cutscene, and leave you confused.

Here's a tip, dear Ubisoft. A story, every story, follows 5 basic steps, not necessarily in this order: Exposition, Rising Action, Progression, Climax, Ending. The 4th is completely missing, and the fifth leaves you confused, when it should leave you satisfied.

Then there are the actual missions in the story. Boring, repetitive and most of them don't make sense. All you do is follow this guy, eavesdrop on that guy. And on rare occasions you kill someone. Missions involving ships can be interesting, but at times they are the same boring "follow that ship" nonsense. In comparison with GTA 5, or Red Dead Redemption, where every mission was unique and intriguing, here they are boring, unimaginative and repetitive. The same goes for side missions. Assassinations, Naval Missions and Templar Hunts. All of them are basically the same. If you did one then you did all, there's no point in continuing. You play through it once, but you won't want to play through it a second time.

What saves the game is the beautiful and huge open world game, the side activities(not missions) and the naval combat. The setting is really amazing, although some fans of the series will find it irritating that you won't visit cities that much, only a couple times, and they are small with not a lot of things to do, the setting just didn't allow for that. Most of the time you will do what the game is all about: pirating. Naval combat is really fun, and it's been expanded upon a lot.: you can board ships, capture them, steal their cargo and send them to your fleet, you can attack naval forts and capture them. You can use those resources to upgrade your ship and so on. There are also underwater places you can explore, but there are limited, and in comparison with GTAV, where there was an entire open-world you could explore, here there are only ten locations, but it still looks great, and avoiding sharks and medusas is great fun. You can also raid plantations, which are a ton of fun... basically the side activities are really great, and make this game enjoyable, even though the story brings it down.

In summary, it looks like this game was made just so Ubisoft can make more money off of the ship mechanics in AC3. Combat and land based mechanics are basically the same as the previous game, although they did need changing and improving. The game engine is the same as it was in the third title, with very little improvement, or change, when it, again needed it. And all of this would not be a problem if the game offered a good story, but it doesn't. The story seems like an excuse to sell an adapted version of AC3, and the story is driven by the game mechanics, and not vice versa. Luckily the beautiful setting, graphics and excellent pirate game save the game and prop up the rating to a 6/10. You can't help but feel, if they only spent a little bit more time, and wouldn't pump out a game every year, it could've been an amazing game.
  13. May 9, 2014
    pirate part of the game=good, but from the assassins creed franchise viewpoint its poor. every mission was pretty much the same (follow this guy, follow that guy.... oh now earsdrop on the conversation...kill. then it restarts) i havnt even finished it and im bored out of my **** mind
  14. Nov 25, 2013
    As a big fan of the AC series and a huge supporter of AC3 I can say I'm massively disappointed in AC4. Nothing has improved since AC3 and worse yet things actually degraded. Let's start with simple water graphics. They went from beautiful and realistic last-gen to looking like, well, AIR in the current gen. Swimming will give you the impression you're flying. It's embarrassing. Also,As a big fan of the AC series and a huge supporter of AC3 I can say I'm massively disappointed in AC4. Nothing has improved since AC3 and worse yet things actually degraded. Let's start with simple water graphics. They went from beautiful and realistic last-gen to looking like, well, AIR in the current gen. Swimming will give you the impression you're flying. It's embarrassing. Also, fighting did not improve at all. It's still basically a turn-based system where multiple opponents will wait for you to finish with the current opponent. The biggest step back is the ship fighting. AC3 made ship fighting a blast with sailors yelling and cannons booming. AC4, however, makes ship fighting a quiet and boring affair that will make you want to pop the AC3 disk back in. Me sad. Expand
  15. Oct 15, 2014
    Why not just make it a pirate game? Black Flag is a game held back because of it's misguided Assassin's Creed tittle. An identity that forces itself on some truly fascinating elements, making an odd mix.

The naval combat is back from AS3, and it's still awesome. On top of that you got a bunch of other activities like whaling (no, I DON'T support animal cruelty but for the sake of historic accuracy I approve), and sailing through a storm is a truly impressive and intense moment. The thing is, all those things get all after a while, specially on a game asking for many hours of dedication.

So what's the problem here? Well, on top of the naval exploration. You have all your traditional Assassin's Creed activities like spying, stalking, and of course assassinating. Mind you, all these elements work perfectly find but in my honest opinion they don't match the pirating theme.

I just wish, Black Flag would have been just a pirate game, and with a focus of pirate activities. Give us pillaging, in depth treasure quests, or the option to become buccaneers. The Assassin's Creed games are fantastic (mostly), but this combination of a pirate game and an AS game is depriving us from two amazing games. One amazing pirate game, and another amazing AS game.
  16. Nov 23, 2013
    great game! I really like the way assassins creed franchise evolved

shame it DON'T SUPPORT 21:9 ASPECT RATIO like most of ubi games... that's a -1
    What the ultra-wide users do? play in a small screen on the center of the monitor?
  17. Feb 6, 2014
    Do not be fooled.
    I hated AC3, it was a buggy mess. But the lure of this beautiful looking open world pulled me in to the series again.
    And for the first few hours of this game, it feels like something special. Very fun ship combat, great exploring and a lovely colorful world. But then you are reminded, its just ANOTHER Assassins Creed. As the game moves on, you are on foot more and
    Do not be fooled.

As the game moves on, you are on foot more and more often, and this is where the game falls apart.
    The 5 game old combat, could be done blindfolded. The variety offered in the form of different shaped/dressed enemies is plain annoying. A fat guy who throws a grenade, one who cant be attacked, one you have to counter. Its just so blurgh.
    Weapons are again pretty limited considering the depth early games had.

Then add on the climbing and running aspects, as usual you will spend countless hours running up the wrong wall, jumping when you didn't ask it to.
    I write this review on the back of one of the oh so fun trailing missions, 2 minutes of slow walking, i ascend to a rooftop to kill my target, only for the game to jump on to one of his guards 5 meters behind him. 3 times i've centered my screen on him, watched him flash and flicker as he becomes my target, only for the game to decide otherwise.

That point also brings up the mission design. Ubisoft, please stop thinking we enjoy walking slowly behind people for 5 minutes, only to be seen at the end and have to restart the entire thing.
    Or to eavesdrop on a conversation, and have to follow our target through a camp full of enemy men.
    Even Assassinate missions/contracts have become so mundane, no longer do you need to work a position and take guards out. Now just stand back and shoot a berserk dart at them and walk away.

It would also be nice if Ubisoft didn't treat me like an idiot. I left my ship alone, i go to the mission, and suddenly my quartermaster is beside me, i leave the cut scene and he has vanished.
    I silently kill a target as he stops off at the first of a few areas, two bodyguards and a few area guards. I kill him from a haystack, and in the cut scene am then putting his clothes on, what happened to his guards?

How in the world this series moves on from here i have no idea. The series was flat lining until they brought in ship travel, that helped to gloss over the old lazy boring gameplay. If they do indeed bring out another game this year, or even two like has been rumored (one for each generation of console), it needs to take the game in a crazy new way. But please, just let Creed die. Give us a new Prince of Persia.

PS, i havent mentioned the story cause frankly, i have no idea what it is, and i dont care. The game is made in a way that you very rarely actually do story missions, you get distracted with collectibles and side missions and travelling so often.
  18. Mar 8, 2014
    Take my advice and try not to get this on next generation. Its not worth paying extra. I found this out when I sank a ship, and it sank right through my ship. Also the graphics are just above average. Kenway's face moved like it was stuck in a irritating smirk. I found when I killed an enemy they fly a foot forwards when they have been struck by my hideously overpowered swords. HalfwayTake my advice and try not to get this on next generation. Its not worth paying extra. I found this out when I sank a ship, and it sank right through my ship. Also the graphics are just above average. Kenway's face moved like it was stuck in a irritating smirk. I found when I killed an enemy they fly a foot forwards when they have been struck by my hideously overpowered swords. Halfway through the game I knew none of my enemy's stood a chance against me when I gained two swords, four pistols, a dart shooter, two hidden blades, smoke bombs, throwing knives and money. All challenge was removed from the game at this point even when I wasn't even trying to accomplish anything. The story missions are the more repetitive than the resident evil series. Nearly all of them require you to tail or eavesdrop on the enemy. They are so easy I was just running on rooftops try to keep up with them. But one thing I noticed, WHERE ARE THE ASSASSINATION MISSIONS? They should have just called this game 'Pirates Creed'. There are only about three in the entire game. It trys to cover this up by having assassins side missions. These only require you to kill a target to get 1000 Reales. There can be a 500 bonus if you stay out of combat. This can be so easy, when I got the berserk darts I was trying to get my target killed by his guards. Sailing is fun as it gets with trying to get cargo from other ships to either sell or use to upgrade your ship. I tried to ignore the ships level, and just see how long it took for the ship to move another way other than the way I was going. Eventually we were just going in circles. Don't bother trying to board a ship unless you want to lower your wanted level or want to send it to 'Kenway's Fleet'. You still get the ships loot regardless of how you destroy it. Kenways fleet is just a small and unnecessary add-on to the game. Its just another way to get more money. The characters are boring and all have a similar personality. They all seem to be okay with Kenway risking his life for their gain. The franchise has got better since the disappointing third installment. The final overview of this is it is not worth getting skull edition or the season pass because you will get bored very quickly with this. Expand
  19. Sep 24, 2014
    Meh...

Its pretty ok! As a pirate game, it's a 8.5/10 or something like that. As an assassins creed game, it's still good. But at the end I felt a bit bored, but the pirating was still fun!
  20. Nov 27, 2013
    okay, let's get some things out of the way first...
    I am NO console fan-boy, not a cheerleader for PlayStation, nor for XBoX!
    I am a PC-gamer and a proud one, too... for that, my review is focussing on the differences between this "next Gen" and the good ole' PC. I'll write something about the game first in this part I and later in part II I'll say something about this PS4 version.
    okay, let's get some things out of the way first...
    I am NO console fan-boy, not a cheerleader for PlayStation, nor for XBoX!

I. (the game itself):

I played ALL parts of the AC franchise and while I didn't like them all, I didn't hate all either.
    "Black Flag" is in my opinion the best AC yet!
    This is so, because they took what I loved about ACIII the most, sea-fights, and built their game around that, plus I absolutely adore pirates since I was a kid.
    The setting in the carribean is just great and while the islands are pretty small, this has the upside of the islands not overwhelming you with their sheer size.
    On the other hand, when in a sea-fight, it can be annoying when you crash with your ship into a sandbank, for there's yet another island in your way... ;)
    Anyway, LOVE the seafights and the "boat-play" and I LOVE how the world looks in this installment, with bright colors and a turquoise sea. Just beautiful!
    Normal combat is as dull as it has always been it's just always the same. Swing sword, wait for a chance to counter, then counter and kill your enemy that's it. But then again, hasn't it always been as dull as it is now? I think yes, it was always like this.
    Storyline is nice, from what I've seen until now I'm not yet through atm. Missions are, again, more of the same, which can be dull at some points and they should come up with more new ideas, IMO...
    But, on the gameplay itself, "AC Black Flag" is a solid game and I'd give it 8/10 points.

Part II: the PS4 version...

I own the game on my PC and now I visited a friend, who proudly wanted to brag with his new PS4, asking me, with a stupidly arrogant grin on his face, whether I'd had seen any game as beautiful as this ever before in my life.... unfortunately, I HAD TO tell him straight-out "YES!" OMG, yes! He wouldn't believe me that my version on PC looked better than his PS4 version not enough that I didn't even have a top-of-the-line graphics-card, for mine was mid-range and is almost 3 years old...
    So we kept on playing for an hour more and I took him to my home, where he could witness proof of the PCs advantage over his PS4.
    He didn't want to believe me, but when he actually saw proof of my not lieing, he almost teared-up! Yes, he really was about to cry.
    And as I had mentioned, I use a "Radeon HD 5850 Xtreme", an 2 year old reboot of an almost 4 years old GPU that runs OC, but lacks some functions of the newest GPUs and, as I said, it isn't even an expensive top-of-the-line graphics-card...

Nevertheless, the graphics on PC even a mid-range PC, mind you!, the graphics look just better on PC!
    Everything is clearer, more crisp AND I run a game in AT LEAST 30 FPS, many games even in constantly 60 FPS...

Apart from graphics, I didn't notice that many differences between PC and PS4 controls on PS4 were equally great on both systems, which leaves the PC on the throne of "great gaming experience", IMO.
    I honestly have hoped for this "next Gen" of consoles to finally become better than a decent PC (not top-of-tzhe-line, I must remind you!that consoles will NEVER achieve!), but, unfortunately, this "next Gen" is not quite there yet and even my "3 years old mid-range rig"(!) is still kicking this consoles ass!
    I hope that this has only been the case for the games aren't quite there yet, but then again, even if it really were for "AC BF" being one of the very first PS4 games that it could NOT beat my PC YET, I have to remind everybody sharing this hope that, in December I'm gonna buy an "enthusiasts" GPU (GFX 780 Ti), the best there is out there at the moment and with that, I don't think ANY of the next 3 years PS4 games could beat my PC then!

on this particular PS4 version, I have to rate "AS: BF" only 4/10

which leaves us with:

game itself: 8/10
    PS4 version: 4/10

OVERALL: 6/10
  21. Jan 30, 2014
    After AC3 i had really low expectations for this game but as it turns out the gameplay is actually pretty damn solid!
    But as in AC3 the story is terrible! especially outside the animus!
  22. Jan 17, 2014
    As an assassin's game it fails but as a pirate game is where it shines. The game has many many flaws that can make the game frustrating and annoying which makes me sad to see since most of these flaws are from prior assassin's games and you would expect them to fix that or make it better. Things like your character constantly doing what you don't want it to do. Fighting onboard a ship isAs an assassin's game it fails but as a pirate game is where it shines. The game has many many flaws that can make the game frustrating and annoying which makes me sad to see since most of these flaws are from prior assassin's games and you would expect them to fix that or make it better. Things like your character constantly doing what you don't want it to do. Fighting onboard a ship is pretty terrible since there are a lot of enemies and targeting sucks so you'll be hitting different people that you don't want to hit or worse, something you'll character will be out of combat when enemies are nearby so when you press circle to counter you'll actually put away your swords and get hit. The story is pretty terrible and it's sad to see how instead of the developers fixing what the game was about and improving being an assassin they instead just add something else to it to attract people and hope they ignore all the flaws it has when your doing your assassin thing.
    Essentally this is AC 3.2. Everything from AC3 is in this but with a few new stuff like diving and hunting sea animals and it greatly improves on the sailing part and what you can do with your ship. As a long fan of the AC series it pain me to see how the developers passion for the game is gone, as you can see from the bad story, and all they care about is making money. It's also evident when you play the game and hint at future installments they may make to further milk the franchise.
    Other than all negative I put the pirate side like I said is fun. You can upgrade your ship and ship battles are fun. There are also legendary ships you can tackle but unfortunately you get nothing good out of them other than bragging rights. I wish they would've just made this a stand alone pirate game and made a separate Assassin's creed game that's actually good than we would've gone two great games and the company would've made lost of money since there is a lot of potential when your acting as a pirate.
    Overall if you want a game that gives you plenty to do than this game might be for you if your into pirates. If you want a good story that continues the series then you'll be disapointed if you pick up this game.
  23. Apr 26, 2014
    While AC4 is certainly an improvement on AC3, and I loved the naval battles and the deep sea diving sections, the game's cities lack that grand scope that the 1st and 2nd had. Furthermore, the lack of a wanted level in the town's makes my random acts of violence go without consequence.

Although this game does repair many of the bugs from AC3, I still found plenty of little problems, some of which kicked me out of the game. None of the sequences stood out to me as any real amount of fun, except for the templar hunts. It's too bad that these were side missions rather than what the game focused on. As much as I enjoyed sailing and pirating, getting all the collectibles across all those uncharted islands is such a chore. Some of the other smaller locales don't even have guards or anything to make them interesting. They look all the same as well. A few design choices seemed a little clueless as well. I'm sorry, but Florida does not have peaks and cliffs.

The game was good, and there's certainly a sense of adventure, but it feels too much like a chore to sail around. Good thing there's fast travel. I like the frontier areas and running through trees, but there is too much, and the cities themselves never impressed me, and there was no reason to walk around and see all of the city. I much prefer the city and environments of the 1st and 2nd installment that seemed so grandiose.
  24. Nov 14, 2013
    Some great moments, but still not better than AC2. Maybe if they will release next AC, they will have some other issues resolved. I Have no idea, why Ubisoft put Prince of Persia to grave :(
    AC is weak copy.
  25. Feb 17, 2014
    Fun pirate simulator, not so great Assassins Creed game.

Fun pirate simulator, not so great Assassins Creed game.

Being a pirate in this game was a ton of fun, and if thats what the game was supposed to focus on, then this would easily be a 9 and not a 7. But the actual AC story in it was just awful compared to previous games. Edward isnt really an assassin and is about the worst protagonist in any of the games in that light. As a pirate, he works great. The story progression of AC as a franchise also stalled out a bit in this game and not much was added. Also, more of the same; this makes the 3rd AC game in 2 years set in the colonial North American setting and its getting old now.

I hope to see the next AC do something new in regards to setting and period and I hope to see a true entry in the AC franchise story-wise.
  26. Dec 1, 2013
    Story is weak and hard to follow at times, too many ship and tailing missions, but other than that it easily improves vastly from the other games and does everything other than the story much better.
  27. Dec 12, 2013
    If you were to directly compare this to AC 3, then this is a huge improvement over what was easily the worst game in the series. If you compare the game to the entire series, then it probably ranks as the 2nd or 3rd best game to come out so far. The biggest thing here is the emphasis on the ships in this game. If you didn't like it in the last game, then you'll hate it here and it'll turnIf you were to directly compare this to AC 3, then this is a huge improvement over what was easily the worst game in the series. If you compare the game to the entire series, then it probably ranks as the 2nd or 3rd best game to come out so far. The biggest thing here is the emphasis on the ships in this game. If you didn't like it in the last game, then you'll hate it here and it'll turn you off so bad that you are forced into playing it, unlike the last game. This game is about 50% old AC stuff and 50% ship battling/exploration. You have to know that going into the game because it'll be a huge disappointment if you're expecting more like AC 2. The issue is that the story is not very good and if you don't like the ship mechanic, then don't play it because that's all you do all the time and the story is not good enough to carry the game through something like that. As a PS4 game, it's essentially one of the few games that is halfway decent on the system right now. If for only the fact that the game is better than most of the other stuff out there, pick this up if you're interested in it on a new system. But I would probably not recommend someone pick this up on the last gen consoles as there are tons of other things that they can play that will far and away better than this. Expand
  28. Jan 1, 2014
    Well this one is definitely better than ACIII. Still got few annoying bugs and the free run and combat aren't as fluid as previous titles. Blocking is extremely annoying in this one.
    Sailing is fascinating visuas are stunning. I likedthe story and Edward character.collectables aren't that much interesting except for Mayan and Templar hunt. Naval combats are great too.
    Multiplayer sucks
    Multiplayer sucks big time absolutely nothing new here is played other ac games. Another annoying this is the social events in single player mood. Too rare and impossible to find. Ubi support didn't provide feedback about this so far.
    There is nothing to do after completing the game so replay isn't really that much fun. This is 7 for mr
  29. Jan 1, 2014
    Single Player:
    Single Player:
    Gameplay: While the core features are still there the actual feeling of Assassins Creed, at least for me, is not there. The combat is simple, but a bit too easy. In the earlier Assassins Creed games when you were fighting a target you at least had a challenge in open combat, but here you take them out by countering once or twice and doing a quick slash, or stab to finish him. Naval combat is a blast and where this game really shines, it's innovative system where random events at sea, such as storms or a convoy, can infuriate you with wanting those 132 Kegs or so of Rum in the British Frigate, but you know you really can't take it at that strength. You really can't get any new ships, you pretty much just upgrade the Jackdaw (Your personal Brig) with more Broadside Guns, Hull Resistance, and etc. The story had some shocking moments and really touching character scenes that I won't spoil, overall the Single Player for Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag was really good, especially the story.

Multiplayer: While I really didn't dive far in to the Multiplayer I played enough to get the gist of at least what most people will be doing on the game. Missing a HUGE opportunity the game didn't add a Navy Battle game mode to the Multiplayer, the retical didn't seem to function very properly seemingly going a little to the right, but of course this could just be my skill level in the Multiplayer. The level editor I couldn't get to work for me but it seems most people could. Overall the Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag Multiplayer was kind of disappointing.
    Overall:
    Likes:
    A Great Story, with great characters, and writing.
    Naval Combat was really innovative for the franchise.
    Ship Customization.
    Random Events

Dislikes:
    Difficulty
    Multiplayer
  30. Jan 4, 2014
    A good game, but could be better. Visuals: the sea, ships, towns and animals look great. The resolution and frame-rate are both impeccable. Although the character models are sharp and move great, I find the skin textures are too shiny to be believable. (Maybe I've been spoilt by Heavy Rain The Last of Us?) Audio: music is spot on, sound effects are great. Sailing the seas and listening toA good game, but could be better. Visuals: the sea, ships, towns and animals look great. The resolution and frame-rate are both impeccable. Although the character models are sharp and move great, I find the skin textures are too shiny to be believable. (Maybe I've been spoilt by Heavy Rain The Last of Us?) Audio: music is spot on, sound effects are great. Sailing the seas and listening to your crew sing sea shanties heightens the experience.

Gameplay: At first I just wanted to get on a ship and sail to new islands, to explore on my own... But I found the game shepherding me too much and I had to fulfill its tasks, which was annoying. After a while the game opened up and I could explore as I wanted, but the thrill had kind of passed by then. (I'm probably being too harsh here.) Another thing is that big blue unbelievable walls (Animus style) appear telling you that you can't proceed in certain directions while in the current mission. I hate that. In fact, the whole Animus idea really destroys the illusion of the game (and previous Assassin Creed games). All Animus sections are boring... I just want to be a pirate. Anyway, you eventually find the strength to ignore all this nonsense.

Summary: a lovely game, marred by some annoyances, but well worth a playthrough. The companion app (for your phone/tablet) is also brilliant.
  31. Feb 8, 2014
    Esta bien, pero no disfrutas a lo loco, con el dineral que se gastan podría estar mucho mejor, pero cumple. He jugado a todos los assassins creed y bueno, este en ps4 debo decir que noté mucho mas el salto grafico en el tres que en este... No puedo evitar fijarme en eso
  32. Mar 23, 2014
    Much improved gameplay since AC3 and is very nice looking. Whether you like this game will come down to one thing.... do you like going around for hours on end in a boat. I do not so therefore found this installment boring but lots of mates enjoyed the boating part so it really comes down to that. I just hope that i never see a boat in assassins creed ever again
  33. Mar 30, 2014
    First of all, this game looks fantastic. The controls, plot-line, and cut scenes are all pretty awkward, and the story is classic assassin's creed bad. But we're all really playing it for the take downs and exploration, of which are are plenty. If you've already got a ps4, I'd recommend this one, otherwise, wait til its less than $50.
  34. Jun 28, 2014
    Assassins Creed Black Flag is a really good game. Its fun and has a lot of stuff to do. But IT IS NOT NEXT GEN graphics are bad. Even worse than some games that came out for the 360 and ps3. Maps are big but repetitive nothing new same design. However it is fun and it is worth your money.
  35. Jul 4, 2014
    More of the same which isn't a bad thing, it looks beautiful, the controls are good and the missions are great fun but tend to be a bit of a slog on some occasions. The sailing on the open seas are fantastic with plenty to do. The multiplayer is a bit of a let down with no real changes but still fun enough. All in all if you're a fan you'll enjoy it, not a must buy but a worth a place inMore of the same which isn't a bad thing, it looks beautiful, the controls are good and the missions are great fun but tend to be a bit of a slog on some occasions. The sailing on the open seas are fantastic with plenty to do. The multiplayer is a bit of a let down with no real changes but still fun enough. All in all if you're a fan you'll enjoy it, not a must buy but a worth a place in your collection. Expand
  36. Jul 24, 2014
    Tried to re ignite my love for the AC franchise, but it didnt work. I do not like this pirate idea, its really not a good idea, i guess thats why they are going with the idea behind Unity. The graphics are good and the game runs really well thats why im giving it a 7 and i can fully understand how some people will love it, especially if they are into pirtates etc, but seeing as im not andTried to re ignite my love for the AC franchise, but it didnt work. I do not like this pirate idea, its really not a good idea, i guess thats why they are going with the idea behind Unity. The graphics are good and the game runs really well thats why im giving it a 7 and i can fully understand how some people will love it, especially if they are into pirtates etc, but seeing as im not and i am not keen on the idea of it in a video game i have to give it a 7. Expand
  37. Jul 26, 2014
    Finished this game a week ago.
    The latest installment to the Assassin's Creed franchise, featuring a new character, Edward Kenway.
    As you may know, Edward Kenway is the grandfather of Connor Kenway, the protagonist from Assassin's Creed III. Edward is just another pirate who's trying to find lots of money, so he can live carefree in this world. One day his ship crashed and he was
    Finished this game a week ago.
    Edward is just another pirate who's trying to find lots of money, so he can live carefree in this world. One day his ship crashed and he was stranded in an island. There, he met an Assassin, he killed him and took the Assassin's name as his own. Edward is the first character in the Assassin's Creed that learn everything about assassination not from the Creed. He's self taught because he has the "sense" of an Assassin (In other words, a genius). Find out the journey of Edward in the Caribbean Sea.

Plus point:
    - First Assassin's Creed game that was released on a next gen console. And i must say, although the graphics are not better than Tomb Raider Definitive Edition, the environment is awesome. The sea, the sky, everything is so colorful, making your naval journey awesome. Also harpooning is fun.
    - A new character who is unique and breaking the stereotype of Assassin's Creed protagonist. Edward, he doesn't care about justice and stuffs like that, all he wants is money. And his character development is really interesting, because he becomes a "real" assassin at the end of the game.
    - Battle systems are as always, too easy and boring. But this time, our hero use a new weapons. Which is Dual Sword & 4 Handgun. Pretty neat.
    - Freedom Cry, a stand alone DLC was released for this game. It told the story of Adewale, Edward's crew on the Jackdaw. The story takes place a few years after Black Flag, although Edward's name was mentioned a few times, it was unknown about how he was doing. This DLC worth every penny of it. It's enough to enjoy the Caribbean Sea once again with another character and another purpose.

Minus point:
    - The world is too large. I found myself spending too much time on the exploration part.While the story is just too short. Sailing through the sea took my sweet time on this game. I must say that it was quite boring sailing through the sea and waiting for my ship to arrive at the destination.
    - Same old Assassin's Creed. Hope Ass Creed Unity can bring a new wind to this franchise.

The verdict:
    I don't know why the hate for ACIV. I love the game & i love edward. The game is visually stunning in some aspects, but kinda looks bad on another. Although there are no new big changes to the gameplay, the story itself isn't that bad. It's good to see someone different from the previous protagonists. If you have PS4, then play this on PS4. It's really good, since there are no problems with Frame Skip like in PS3. The game runs smoothly on PS4. Totally recommended. But i must say, that this is just another game of Assassin's Creed. Nothing more and nothing less. 7/10 for this game.
  38. Aug 26, 2014
    I have never played an AC game until this and I was pleasantly surprised.

The graphics and open world, created by the use of ships, and the amount of customization made the game fun. However, the amount of random glitches and useless exploring required to achieve these upgrades got boring quick. There is some fun challenges with community events and elite ships, but unless you have
    I have never played an AC game until this and I was pleasantly surprised.

There is some fun challenges with community events and elite ships, but unless you have friends who play, you can feel rather isolated in a game that seems to want some form of co-op.

Definitely recommend this game.
  39. Oct 23, 2014
    Pretty good game, minimal problems with story and the combat is pretty decent. My friend loaned me the game and I have enjoyed the time I have put into it.
  40. Dec 2, 2014
    AC IV: Black Flag is one of the better looking games I've played so far on the PS4. The world is colorful and detailed. The cities and settlements look stunning and are fun to explore, although it isn't exactly a 'real' open world, as each area has its boundaries beyond which you cannot explore further.

The controls lack a bit of finesse, which can be frustrating sometimes. Also the mandatory pirating activities start to feel like a grind after a while, as they're necessary to further upgrade your ship, which in its turn is a requirement to be able to start some of the story missions. And this is where it kind of starts to fall apart. If you don't care much about the pirating part, you'll encounter a point in the game where you suddenly need big improvements on your ship. And the only way to get these is to go play pirate to get the necessary resources, so you're in for a long grind...

Apart from that the story is a joy to play through and the missions are varied. Count with that the countless number of sidequests and collectibles, and you know you'll be in it for a while.

Microtransactions are available but not required to play the game (luckily). Still there should be no place for such nonsense in a full retail game.

+ Graphics
    + Story
    + Overall fun factor if you don't mind the mandatory pirate gameplay
    + Lots of content

- Mandatory pirate activities
    - Open world isn't really 'open'
    - Microtransactions
  41. Apr 14, 2015
    Assassin's Creed 4 is the Pirate game. Graphics are good gameplay is not bad. Story is Mediocre. I like this game but this is not AC game.

My score 7/10
  42. Jul 31, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. every year a new AC.. after brotherhood this game is a disaster. ubisoft is a nice **** money-taking company. the only think about black flag that i like was the pirate ship, Battleships. Expand
  43. Jan 2, 2015
    A great looking game with a story that pulls you in, unfortunately I had difficulty with the controls, when running through a town I would start climbing when I didn't want to. This game is really hard, I got stuck on a mission where I needed to catch someone running away and after several attempts gave up and haven't played it since
  44. Feb 3, 2015
    AC Black Flag is a good game and you will want to play if you are an AC's fan but it has its flaws.
    Gameplay is better than previous games of the franchise (stealth system and parkour), the graphics are pretty solid and reflect the new generation of consoles. Story wise is interesting but l don't like how they handle the main character on the present time, on the other hand Edward is a bad ass and greedy person, it failed to make you feel something about what was happening to him. On top of that the story is not driven on the best possible way, sometimes you just know where you need to go because of the map, otherwise you would never know what is coming next. Open world is cool and the addition of the ship is just incredible, that feeling of sailing is great however even when it's a big map, it is very limited in variants, that's the reason side missions get repetitive over the time. What I hated is that the forced you to repeat side missions in order to improve your ship and be able to progress on the main story.

+ Graphics
    + Stealth/Parkour System
    + World atmosphere (ship, music, etc.)

- Story/character development
    - Side missions are repetitive
    - Forced to improve your ship by side missions
  45. Feb 10, 2015
    I have never been all that much of a fan of the Assassin's Creed games. I made it halfway through number 2 and quit out of fatigue and never made it back. This is my first attempt since then to give the franchise another shot. Not because I miss the stupid animus **** the painfully awkward parkour system, the endlessly boring and ridiculously finicky eavesdropping/tailing/sneakingI have never been all that much of a fan of the Assassin's Creed games. I made it halfway through number 2 and quit out of fatigue and never made it back. This is my first attempt since then to give the franchise another shot. Not because I miss the stupid animus **** the painfully awkward parkour system, the endlessly boring and ridiculously finicky eavesdropping/tailing/sneaking missions that 95% of the main campaign consists of, but for the pirating stuff. The sailing around and exploring are what make this game fun. Any one of the numerous side missions are much more enjoyable than any of the main ones. Someone else said it in their review, but it is a damn shame a good pirate game had to be stapled to a **** Assassin's Creed game. It probably would have been a 9.5 otherwise. Expand
  46. Mar 29, 2015
    If you are going to spend A LOT of hours with secondary missions fine, but if you just want to go through the main history...be ready to feel frustrated like hell, repeating the same unbalanced ship battle over and over and over.
    Resources to improve your ship are totally crazy, specially metal. And warehouses (where you find metal) don't resupply even if the main history advanced years...pretty pathetic.
  47. Apr 9, 2015
    ♪♫ Who lives in a pirate ship, over the sea? Edward Kenway! ♪♫ Who lives in a pirate ship, over the sea? Edward Kenway, Edward Kenway, Ed-d-dward Kenway! Sea shanties play a huge role in Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (such as the one I attempted to make, sing it using the Spongebob theme), mainly because most of the game you will be sailing your ship. At first, this is fun. After the♪♫ Who lives in a pirate ship, over the sea? Edward Kenway! ♪♫ Who lives in a pirate ship, over the sea? Edward Kenway, Edward Kenway, Ed-d-dward Kenway! Sea shanties play a huge role in Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (such as the one I attempted to make, sing it using the Spongebob theme), mainly because most of the game you will be sailing your ship. At first, this is fun. After the first few hours it started to get repetitive for me as I would be doing the same thing; incapacitating a ship, then boarding it. Other than the sea potions, the game also takes place on land. The gameplay is fun for the most part, except for when I started getting bored of sailing my ship. If being a captain of the high seas is your thing, ignore what I said about it being boring. The land portions are entertaining. The story is where this game is weak, you spend the whole story doing something that, for me at least, did not seam very interesting. I had no ambition to play the outside of animus story either as it doesn't really develop into as much as I had hoped. However, the characters are interesting in this game. I was really interested in the lives of Edward's companions, such as Blackbeard; I was also interested in Edward's past. This game rates a 6/10, it is a good game. Expand
  48. May 19, 2015
    It's really a shame, this is my first Assassin's creed game and I was expecting epicness and wonder. Boyyyy I was soo wrong, combat is extremely repetitively easy, you can easily kill pretty much all the enemies without hiding like an assassin. The ship combat was fun though, it was suprisingly enjoyable conquering forts and legendary ships. Pretty graphics is a plus.

Story mode was a

Story mode was a bore, at some point while playing this game I really didn;t get enough motivation to want to finish the game. I don't normally leave bad ratings, because I strongly believe that each and every game has a "wow" factor. Overall, black flag was very disappointing and I expected more from it.
  49. Nov 1, 2015
    Great visuals. Great concept with the pirate/assassin story. Would really give this a higher score if I didn't play its predecessors. It got repetitive. Back then, I enjoyed assassinating and sneaking around but now it just made me realize that I have been playing the the games every release and it has bored me. Don't get me wrong, AC4 Black Flag has great visuals, great interactionGreat visuals. Great concept with the pirate/assassin story. Would really give this a higher score if I didn't play its predecessors. It got repetitive. Back then, I enjoyed assassinating and sneaking around but now it just made me realize that I have been playing the the games every release and it has bored me. Don't get me wrong, AC4 Black Flag has great visuals, great interaction between being an assassin and being a pirate. I really do enjoyed the pirate thing. But again it has been repetitive in ways I cannot explain. Would still recommend this if your new to the Assassin's Creed franchise but for people who played the past games I may not recommend this. Expand
  50. Nov 14, 2015
    A classic Assassin's Creed, with the same qualities and drawbacks. It is still beautiful and immersive, but the limited gameplay and the repetitive missions/objectives/collectibles are still there too. The last straw is the ship gameplay, which is less good than AC3 (naval battles are less strategic and interesting mechanics disappear). In a nutshell, it is pleasant to play but not reallyA classic Assassin's Creed, with the same qualities and drawbacks. It is still beautiful and immersive, but the limited gameplay and the repetitive missions/objectives/collectibles are still there too. The last straw is the ship gameplay, which is less good than AC3 (naval battles are less strategic and interesting mechanics disappear). In a nutshell, it is pleasant to play but not really exciting. Expand
  51. Jan 23, 2016
    okay this assasins creed game it not assasins creed it is pirate creed . it is so annoying that it has only five swords and five guns and it has a ton of upgrades for the creepy ship of yours . this game loose direction . it is just a defferent game . it is a nice game but it steel dessapointing me .
  52. Jan 30, 2016
    A fun action-movie romp, with too much focus in the animus, and honestly, a pirate game in an Assassin's Creed skin. Doesn't really utilize the power of the PS4 due to being on all the old consoles.

1. Apr 20, 2014
    The PlayStation 4 version of the game is mechanically the same as the PlayStation 3 version, but the new engine is eye-poppingly awesome.
  2. Ubisoft significantly improved the multiplayer side of things. Also, story takes you places.
  3. Jan 4, 2014
    It’s difficult to imagine Assassin’s Creed ever leaving the sea behind.