7.8

1. May 2, 2015
    First off let me start by saying this is in fact a great game and most the reviews here if you read what their complaining about its due to their bad play and not being able to figure out what my 8 year old can..... The game looks great, has the classic Assassins Creed feel for controls, and all the new features keep the game from getting repetitive. Just fully upgrading your ship andFirst off let me start by saying this is in fact a great game and most the reviews here if you read what their complaining about its due to their bad play and not being able to figure out what my 8 year old can..... The game looks great, has the classic Assassins Creed feel for controls, and all the new features keep the game from getting repetitive. Just fully upgrading your ship and property alone is many fun hours.

Again I urge people to try this game out for themselves. Also if we want metacritic to continue to be reliable we ALL need to start marking ratiings on game as unhelpful if their obviously troll reviews. Otherwise developers have no clue what to focus on and a crap game like Unity gets made. 0-2 rating implies the game crashes all the time and is barely functional.
  2. Apr 30, 2015
    Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag is a game I enjoyed immensely. It controls and plays better than Assassin’s Creed III and its hard not to enjoy causing all sorts of mayhem on land and sea.
  3. Apr 17, 2015
    This game suffers unfortunately from what I like to call "Out of Place Level Syndrome" This game has no idea what is wants to be. At first it starts as more of an action game where you ride across the seas and plunder ships and kill for blood. And then you're lazily put into these forced stealth missions where you're NOT ALLOWED TO KILL ANYONE. The name of the game is ASSASSIN'S Creed.This game suffers unfortunately from what I like to call "Out of Place Level Syndrome" This game has no idea what is wants to be. At first it starts as more of an action game where you ride across the seas and plunder ships and kill for blood. And then you're lazily put into these forced stealth missions where you're NOT ALLOWED TO KILL ANYONE. The name of the game is ASSASSIN'S Creed. Emphasis on the word ASSASSIN. It's a very nice word. An Assassin is a person who kills, not a person who does't kill because of arbitrary rules. It's only fun for the first 2 hours and after that it's just lazy mission after lazy mission. Don't pick up this game unless you want to pay 40$ for 2 hours of fun. And if you are that person then you're insane. Expand
  4. Apr 14, 2015
    Assassin's Creed 4 is the Pirate game. Graphics are good gameplay is not bad. Story is Mediocre. I like this game but this is not AC game.

My score 7/10
  5. Apr 9, 2015
    ♪♫ Who lives in a pirate ship, over the sea? Edward Kenway! ♪♫ Who lives in a pirate ship, over the sea? Edward Kenway, Edward Kenway, Ed-d-dward Kenway! Sea shanties play a huge role in Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (such as the one I attempted to make, sing it using the Spongebob theme), mainly because most of the game you will be sailing your ship. At first, this is fun. After the♪♫ Who lives in a pirate ship, over the sea? Edward Kenway! ♪♫ Who lives in a pirate ship, over the sea? Edward Kenway, Edward Kenway, Ed-d-dward Kenway! Sea shanties play a huge role in Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (such as the one I attempted to make, sing it using the Spongebob theme), mainly because most of the game you will be sailing your ship. At first, this is fun. After the first few hours it started to get repetitive for me as I would be doing the same thing; incapacitating a ship, then boarding it. Other than the sea potions, the game also takes place on land. The gameplay is fun for the most part, except for when I started getting bored of sailing my ship. If being a captain of the high seas is your thing, ignore what I said about it being boring. The land portions are entertaining. The story is where this game is weak, you spend the whole story doing something that, for me at least, did not seam very interesting. I had no ambition to play the outside of animus story either as it doesn't really develop into as much as I had hoped. However, the characters are interesting in this game. I was really interested in the lives of Edward's companions, such as Blackbeard; I was also interested in Edward's past. This game rates a 6/10, it is a good game. Expand
  6. Apr 6, 2015
    It's a great game: it has a smooth gameplay (one of the best in the series), however, it just doesn't fit very well in the series. It's a beautiful looking game, and that's why I kept playing it, mostly because of it's aesthetics. The story is well decent, with a much better protagonist than Connor. The reason i'm giving this game an 8 is because of the naval battles. They're fun andIt's a great game: it has a smooth gameplay (one of the best in the series), however, it just doesn't fit very well in the series. It's a beautiful looking game, and that's why I kept playing it, mostly because of it's aesthetics. The story is well decent, with a much better protagonist than Connor. The reason i'm giving this game an 8 is because of the naval battles. They're fun and innovative. And that's what you get with this ame: a one big pirate game. Expand
  7. Mar 29, 2015
    If you are going to spend A LOT of hours with secondary missions fine, but if you just want to go through the main history...be ready to feel frustrated like hell, repeating the same unbalanced ship battle over and over and over.
    Resources to improve your ship are totally crazy, specially metal. And warehouses (where you find metal) don't resupply even if the main history advanced years...pretty pathetic.
  8. Mar 24, 2015
    Pretty good game. The story is interesting but some missions can take many tries to do and can be frustrating. The ship battles and sailing are extremely fun in AC4. The on land parts like freerunning and fights are pretty boring, and its pretty much auto running. You just hold r2 and move the left stick and Edward automatically parkours wherever you point him to go. It has a pretty largePretty good game. The story is interesting but some missions can take many tries to do and can be frustrating. The ship battles and sailing are extremely fun in AC4. The on land parts like freerunning and fights are pretty boring, and its pretty much auto running. You just hold r2 and move the left stick and Edward automatically parkours wherever you point him to go. It has a pretty large world, but feels small because of how fast your ship moves and how large it is. Expand
  9. Mar 23, 2015
    I really wanted to like this game but the lack of control over the character's movement is so bad that I couldn't even get through the first level after the tutorial. He jumps when I intend him to run or walk or while trying to be stealthy - it's exceedingly frustrating.
  10. Mar 22, 2015
    I was pleasantly surprised by the quality experience Black Flag offered after its slightly disappointing predecessor. The naval battles were better than ever before and the new protagonist Edward provides a new breath of fresh air into the series. Gone are the days of monotone ranting! The story and combat changes are thankfully only minor nitpicks for this otherwise great game.
  11. Mar 17, 2015
    Holy crap! I played this game for the first time today and I can't believe what I've been missing! I've never been truly invested in the Assassin's Creed franchise. I played a few of the old games: Assassins Creed 2 and a bit of Revelations. Assassins Creed 2 was fun at times and the graphics were amazing for it's time but I didn't enjoy it as much as I felt I should have done. TheHoly crap! I played this game for the first time today and I can't believe what I've been missing! I've never been truly invested in the Assassin's Creed franchise. I played a few of the old games: Assassins Creed 2 and a bit of Revelations. Assassins Creed 2 was fun at times and the graphics were amazing for it's time but I didn't enjoy it as much as I felt I should have done. The controls were sometimes uncomfortable and both the stealth and the parkour mechanics felt clunky. What's more, the game got rather repetitive and tedious half way through and I never finished it because of this. Assassins Creed Black Flag fixes all of those issues. The controls have been significantly improved so you're only holding down the R2 button instead of R2 and X, and you can now jump. The free running mechanics feel somewhat more fluid and there's much less frustratingly jumping off of tall buildings to your death. Stealth has also been added to, though it's admittedly still not excellent. What makes this game excellent, though, in my opinion is the epic naval battles. I cannot begin to describe how cool these are! There's so much fun to be had in fighting against enemy ships and then boarding them, assassinating the crew and looting their goods. I haven't been able to go back to Assassins Creed 2 because I don't want to play another Assassins Creed that doesn't have this awesome naval combat. Though I consider the sailing and naval battles to be the meat of the game I also had a ton of fun with the other traditional Assassins Creed activities, mostly consisting of finding collectables and climbing to viewpoints. Exploration is heavily rewarded in this game and it has a huge open world that I know will take me a while to fully explore! Finally the story in Assassins Creed Black Flag is great. It is perhaps less engaging than Assassins Creed 2's story but nevertheless has a variety of interesting characters and good writing. If you haven't played this game, pick it up. I've had a love-hate relationship with the Assassins Creed franchise but this game truly blew me away when I first played it. Expand
  12. Feb 14, 2015
    Very much improved over ACIII . Probably the best Creed game to date . The battle action is quicker than III's, and the ship handling is vastly improved . Sailing the ship into a sea battle is really the greatest upgrade to the game. Edward's double swords are awesome in ground fighting , especially the two sword throat slash.
  13. Feb 10, 2015
    I have never been all that much of a fan of the Assassin's Creed games. I made it halfway through number 2 and quit out of fatigue and never made it back. This is my first attempt since then to give the franchise another shot. Not because I miss the stupid animus **** the painfully awkward parkour system, the endlessly boring and ridiculously finicky eavesdropping/tailing/sneakingI have never been all that much of a fan of the Assassin's Creed games. I made it halfway through number 2 and quit out of fatigue and never made it back. This is my first attempt since then to give the franchise another shot. Not because I miss the stupid animus **** the painfully awkward parkour system, the endlessly boring and ridiculously finicky eavesdropping/tailing/sneaking missions that 95% of the main campaign consists of, but for the pirating stuff. The sailing around and exploring are what make this game fun. Any one of the numerous side missions are much more enjoyable than any of the main ones. Someone else said it in their review, but it is a damn shame a good pirate game had to be stapled to a **** Assassin's Creed game. It probably would have been a 9.5 otherwise. Expand
  14. Feb 3, 2015
    AC Black Flag is a good game and you will want to play if you are an AC's fan but it has its flaws.
    Gameplay is better than previous games of the franchise (stealth system and parkour), the graphics are pretty solid and reflect the new generation of consoles. Story wise is interesting but l don't like how they handle the main character on the present time, on the other hand Edward is a bad ass and greedy person, it failed to make you feel something about what was happening to him. On top of that the story is not driven on the best possible way, sometimes you just know where you need to go because of the map, otherwise you would never know what is coming next. Open world is cool and the addition of the ship is just incredible, that feeling of sailing is great however even when it's a big map, it is very limited in variants, that's the reason side missions get repetitive over the time. What I hated is that the forced you to repeat side missions in order to improve your ship and be able to progress on the main story.

+ Graphics
    + Stealth/Parkour System
    + World atmosphere (ship, music, etc.)

- Story/character development
    - Side missions are repetitive
    - Forced to improve your ship by side missions
  15. Jan 11, 2015
    This is, by far, the best Assassin's Creed in the series. Edward Kenway is a likable character, on par with Ezio, and the beautiful scenery tops it all off. The controls do have some quirks tho but that's something AC veterans are used to by now. The only downside, to me at least, is that this instalment doesn't progress the overall storyline that much.
  16. Jan 4, 2015
    The assassins creed franchise has had its ups and downs. The previous, 3rd installment failed to keep me interested, as it was the first I did not play through. This one however, is well worth playing. The story is rather weak, but the universe is gripping and very well made. Next to The Shadow of Mordor, this is the best ps4 game in my little collection (so far).
  17. Jan 2, 2015
    A great looking game with a story that pulls you in, unfortunately I had difficulty with the controls, when running through a town I would start climbing when I didn't want to. This game is really hard, I got stuck on a mission where I needed to catch someone running away and after several attempts gave up and haven't played it since
  18. Dec 28, 2014
    I bought this game after a long hiatus from the AC world, expecting to see sweeping changes. Ive always loved the idea and lore behind the AC story. Your part of an elite group of assasins who have existed throughout history fighting the templar. Whats not to like.

Alas, it was my expectations that made me regret ever purchasing this game. Everything is pretty much the same except you are now in the Caribbean!

Things flow out like this, go to said location, climb tower and unlock part of that area and the tasteless repetitive side quests. I wouldnt mind that if the actual gameplay/fighting wasnt as bad. Instead however, the combat is easy repetitive and boring. You are always faced with the same three enemies. Officers, Normal soldiers, and some burly guy with an axe. And once you figure out how to deflect (press O) its so easy that it doesnt even matter if you get swarmed.

The naval combat was fun, it is enjoyable to sail around and listen to your crew sing their shanties as you wreak havock on merchants and ports (which you can attack). However, once your jackdaw was upgraded fully and you took down the legendary ships even naval warfare came to be another repititive issue. (Attack ships, taking low health, board enemy ship, animation cuts fight with all other ships, kill all on board, regain ships health).

For the stealth misions, i found it out that there is no actual stealth button. However, it is fairly easy to go through a mission stealthy regardless (enemies are not to bright).

Multiplayer, I found to be an interesting aspect but nearly died from boredom to reach level 55 and unlock that last trophy to hit that platinum.

The good:

AC really has the free run aspect nailed down
    Naval warfare was alot of fun
    Indepth story if you can connect all the AC games together
    Shanties were great to listen to

The bad:

Major issue: Repetitive game play which has you doing the same things over and over and over and over again.
    Combat not diverse enough
    Combat extremely easy
    Multi player loses taste after a few hours

no stealth mode.

Bottom Line: If you are an AC fan and cant get enough I would get this game. Otherwise, I would steer clear. There are other games out there that offer a greater variety in enemies, more challenging combat, and a story mode which is clear to anyone who hasnt been playing AC since its release.
  19. Dec 16, 2014
    Another great game that won't get out of it's own way. If I want to play the story, let me play the story. If I want to raid, pillage, sea battle, dive for treasure, hunt, craft, take over forts and the like I shouldn't be hampered until I finish a certain story mission. "Why can I only send one ship on trade route when I have twenty not doing anything else?" and similar frustratingAnother great game that won't get out of it's own way. If I want to play the story, let me play the story. If I want to raid, pillage, sea battle, dive for treasure, hunt, craft, take over forts and the like I shouldn't be hampered until I finish a certain story mission. "Why can I only send one ship on trade route when I have twenty not doing anything else?" and similar frustrating needless limits on the "open world" really dampen the experience. Still, quite fun overall with great multiplayer game modes. Again, level linked unlocking is not my favorite, but it's not totally unreasonable overall. Expand
  20. Dec 7, 2014
    Worst in the series. (I haven't played Unity yet) It was just boring the free roam was just meh it got repetitive, then the multiplayer :l why even this it's not really need in my opinion, even though others enjoy it, I just really didn't like it, and I heard Unity is trash well lets hope that rouge us good
  21. Dec 2, 2014
    AC IV: Black Flag is one of the better looking games I've played so far on the PS4. The world is colorful and detailed. The cities and settlements look stunning and are fun to explore, although it isn't exactly a 'real' open world, as each area has its boundaries beyond which you cannot explore further.

The controls lack a bit of finesse, which can be frustrating sometimes. Also the mandatory pirating activities start to feel like a grind after a while, as they're necessary to further upgrade your ship, which in its turn is a requirement to be able to start some of the story missions. And this is where it kind of starts to fall apart. If you don't care much about the pirating part, you'll encounter a point in the game where you suddenly need big improvements on your ship. And the only way to get these is to go play pirate to get the necessary resources, so you're in for a long grind...

Apart from that the story is a joy to play through and the missions are varied. Count with that the countless number of sidequests and collectibles, and you know you'll be in it for a while.

Microtransactions are available but not required to play the game (luckily). Still there should be no place for such nonsense in a full retail game.

+ Graphics
    + Story
    + Overall fun factor if you don't mind the mandatory pirate gameplay
    + Lots of content

- Mandatory pirate activities
    - Open world isn't really 'open'
    - Microtransactions
  22. Nov 15, 2014
    The story is on the level of the series best so far, Assassin's Creed Brotherhood. It' protagonist is by far the best in the series, however the game doesn't really have an antagonist to combat through the plot, unless you count the protagonist himself. Sadly, the gameplay and animations are from the clunky ACIII version, which can become frustrating when you're doing racing mission toThe story is on the level of the series best so far, Assassin's Creed Brotherhood. It' protagonist is by far the best in the series, however the game doesn't really have an antagonist to combat through the plot, unless you count the protagonist himself. Sadly, the gameplay and animations are from the clunky ACIII version, which can become frustrating when you're doing racing mission to capture someone, or trying to escape, and you get hung up on a wall or decide to crouch on a pole, allowing your enemies to freely shoot you or whack away at you with their swords. At least they toned down the number of enemies on the rooftops so that you can move through town without setting off a hornet's nest. Overall, when movements are performed flawlessly, it looks great. As far as the overall graphics, it's the best so far being in 1080p with no frame drops. The open world is the biggest, without being bored to tears, as you have fast travel, plenty of ships to meet an plunder, or castaways to save and islands to explore. I easily put in a hundred hours playing this. Pirate combat is tough at first because you need to speed resources and money to upgrade your ship. At the end of the game, my ship was not fully leveled up, but I was finally a terror on the seas that I was hoping for. (A good terror because you can't attack innocent vessels without going out of sync+all your assassin contracts are for evil, bad people who are slave traders, smugglers, and those who prey on the weak). Excellent voice work and music all throughout the game. The time I spent in Black Flag was very enjoyable because they hit the 18th century caribbean atmosphere perfectly. Just clean up the wonky combat and animated movement and this game would've been a ten. Expand
  23. Nov 11, 2014
    I did not like assassin creed games in the past seemed so linear and made me not want to play them. However after playing this up to 35% I am really happy that I gave the series another shot and want to spend all my time at sea gaining loot! I really like the graphics in this game, very well done. I like the pirate ship and boating action in this game, being able to dive, spear fish,I did not like assassin creed games in the past seemed so linear and made me not want to play them. However after playing this up to 35% I am really happy that I gave the series another shot and want to spend all my time at sea gaining loot! I really like the graphics in this game, very well done. I like the pirate ship and boating action in this game, being able to dive, spear fish, openly explore the sea is really a good idea and rendered beautifully. I like how on islands, etc. you can make a mini game out of climbing tree branches to achieve your goals. The only down side to the game in my opinion is the wonky movement, that at any minute you can accidently do some movement you really did not want to do. Overall I am happy with this game. Expand
  24. Nov 7, 2014
    I have been a fan since the beginning. Assassins Creed 4 Black Flag has many improvements over AC3 and is largely a great game with a few missteps like repetitive missions and uneven story issues. I think this is honestly the best pirate game ever made it hits the nail on the head for the pirate theme in fact it focuses more on pirates than assassins and gels them both togetherI have been a fan since the beginning. Assassins Creed 4 Black Flag has many improvements over AC3 and is largely a great game with a few missteps like repetitive missions and uneven story issues. I think this is honestly the best pirate game ever made it hits the nail on the head for the pirate theme in fact it focuses more on pirates than assassins and gels them both together convincingly.

Side activities - The things to do outside the story missions are incredible, assassin contracts, sneaking into enemy islands or caves to loot treasure, freeing captured pirates, many things gives you money, loot, territory and crew members. With loot you can built your ship, your character and it allows you to tackle bigger challenges, there is always something that engages you and makes you feel like you’re doing something new. The Templar hunt quests are awesome and do an amazing job of expanding the world in which you live in. You can tackle all side missions in whatever way you want.
    This game has hunting and it is quite fun you can shoot predators down from a distance hidden in bushes or in trees or you can confront them using quick time events to kill them. Using their pelts to upgrade your ship, weapons, tools and character. Another great side activity is the underwater sections where you swim in shipwrecks looking for loot, treasure and ship blueprints. The funnest thing about this is the way you can hide from sharks in reeds and always have to go back to air pockets for an extra breath; you feel very vulnerable which an exciting rush is.

Naval combat - Very fun and satisfying, you could bored other ships for literally hours without getting bored there is just SO MANY different ways to approach other ships. You can attack and conquer other forts which is addictive first using your naval combat from a distance to destroy their canons while attacking/dodging other ships near and far, then jumping straight into the chaos on the fort ground to cut through the enemies utilizing the ground combat then finally assassinating the captain.

Mission structure and gameplay - Okay for allot of the missions they are very open and let you tackle them in whatever way you wish with little handholding, which is very important, however this is one of the real lacking parts of the game the overall repetitiveness of the main missions. WAY too many missions you will find yourself doing the exact same thing over and over again whether it is eavesdropping, tailing someone or something in-between. The parkour and freedom of movement is great but can be tricky and pretty much is the same as in AC3 but tree running ans siling is smooth and works very well. The way you can go from running to sailing in seconds is really special.

Story - The story is very well thought out and lasts about 22 hours or so, as you follow Edward through his personal journey and experience the historic moments of the period is great and participating in them is amazing, something that makes all AC games truly special. All the main characters are convincingly accurate especially Black Beard he is SO WELL DONE. You start to feel attached to the main character especially in the later missions. However it is not without its downsides some missions are not very well explained and you will wonder how you got there and why you are really doing it.

Combat - The combat is fun at first and there are some really cool kill animations but largely it stays the same as AC3 just counter the incoming enemies attacks and they die or just keep tapping attack to kill the weaker guys. But it’s not horrible, a good side is there are different enemy types that require different means to kill them like you will have to counter with a different weapon such as a gun or requiring you to break their defense before striking, this keeps combat away from being too repetitive.

One thing I just have to say is that for us hardcore fans we have noticed that the AC games have gotten less about the assassin way of life and has focused more on the theme. Such as in AC3 where Connor was more of a warrior than an assassin and was not fully dedicated to the order. Similarities can be seen here. The stealth and eavesdropping has not really evolved much, there needs to be more assassinating and stealthy upgrades.

So to round Assassins Creed 4 Black Flag up most side activities are engaging and enjoyable, the naval combat is the best part of the game and is one all in its self, the theme of pirates is done exquisitely, the main missions can get old but they are not terrible, combat is over familiar, decent but nothing special, story is great but can seem random sometimes, music is amazing, parkour and gameplay is still upheld, and last but not least the landscapes are absolutely beautiful and stunning to observe.
  25. Oct 30, 2014
    How can this game have such a low meta and user score? It's ridiculous. Had they included EITHER the massive gameplay elements present in the piracy mode, or the standard AC ground missions and assassination elements, it would easily be a relative 9 compared to scores given to other much more shallow games.

But instead you get both, more or less 2 games in one. Tons of content, and

But instead you get both, more or less 2 games in one. Tons of content, and that's to say nothing of what I thought was very beautiful graphics, and scenery presented. I got the game as a gift, and it's still easily the best game I've played on the PS4, with D3 coming a close second. You'll notice that D3, and other highly rated games on the PS4 are ports. Insult to injury when you consider the achievement AC4 is, to be one of the first games on a new platform, to do it so well, and to be ORIGINAL.

The story is also incredible. People don't like the animus bits. I guess I do. They kept me intrigued. But that's not the story I'm referring to. This is a game about principles, dreams, and loss. It's not a happy ending everything-is-great type story, and perhaps somewhere in there is the reason why people don't appreciate it fully. It's emotionally powerful, and heavy. It's part of a growing movement of better storytelling in gaming, but hasn't really gotten the credit for it.
  26. Oct 26, 2014
    Black Flag is the best entry in the series since AC II. Kenway makes for a much more fun protagonist and his story isn't bogged down in the usual political nonsense, instead we're given a fun swashbuckling pirate adventure which makes full use of it's gorgeously realised Carribean setting with the best mechanics of the series to date.
  27. Oct 23, 2014
    Pretty good game, minimal problems with story and the combat is pretty decent. My friend loaned me the game and I have enjoyed the time I have put into it.
  28. Oct 20, 2014
    Pass a "fourth", emotions are twofold. Clearly more positive than negative. Setting "Assassins vs pirates" fell nice, however, not a lover of ships, this type of transport is not particularly fun for me, but cheerfully boarding mode saved the whole situation for me. In the storyline, can not say anything, was absolutely indifferent, typical plots in the style of the previous loan. I canPass a "fourth", emotions are twofold. Clearly more positive than negative. Setting "Assassins vs pirates" fell nice, however, not a lover of ships, this type of transport is not particularly fun for me, but cheerfully boarding mode saved the whole situation for me. In the storyline, can not say anything, was absolutely indifferent, typical plots in the style of the previous loan. I can say that this part is the leap forward rather than a step back. A huge number of customizations and opportunities make believe that we really play open world game. Among the negative aspects I want to mention - absolutely stupid missions "nowadays abstergo", especially the fact that our protagonist is voiceless. Summarizing we can advise this game to those who did not believe that a series of Assassins Creed should be a blueprint is made from part to part. The game is definitely worth buying, and even seasonal access to take those who love the theme of pirates, and indeed sea battles. As a result, the game is decent, as taken separately or as a continuation of the adventures of various Assassins in different corners of the earth. Ranked # 8 of 10. Expand
  29. Oct 20, 2014
    Пройден "четвертый", эмоции двоякие. Однозначно скорее положительные, чем отрицательные. Сеттинг "Ассассины среди пиратов" пришёлся по душе, однако, как не любителю кораблей, постоянные передвижения на данном виде транспорта не особо доставляли, но бодрейшие абордажи спасали всю ситуацию. По сюжету сказать ничего не могу, к нему остался абсолютно равнодушен, типичные заговоры в стилеПройден "четвертый", эмоции двоякие. Однозначно скорее положительные, чем отрицательные. Сеттинг "Ассассины среди пиратов" пришёлся по душе, однако, как не любителю кораблей, постоянные передвижения на данном виде транспорта не особо доставляли, но бодрейшие абордажи спасали всю ситуацию. По сюжету сказать ничего не могу, к нему остался абсолютно равнодушен, типичные заговоры в стиле предыдущих Кредо. Могу сказать, что данная часть скорее прорыв вперед, нежели шаг назад. Огромное количество различных кастомизаций и возможностей даёт поверить, что перед нами действительно игра с открытым миром, который, в свою очередь, живёт своей жизнью. Из негативных моментов хочу отметить абсолютно тупые миссии "в наши дни", особенно тот факт что наш главный герой немой. Подводя итог можно посоветовать эту игру тем, кто не считает, что серия Assassins Creed должна быть под копирку сделана от части к части. Игру определённо стоит покупать, да ещё и сезонный доступ взять тем, кто любит тематику пиратов, да и вообще морские сражения. В итоге игра получилась достойной, как отдельно взятая, так и как продолжение приключений различных Убийц в разных краях света. Оценка 8 из 10. Expand
  30. Oct 17, 2014
    Amazing story and gameplay loved it
    when i started playing i was bored because most of the missions were at sea....but once the real story starts its amazing...!
  31. Oct 15, 2014
    Why not just make it a pirate game? Black Flag is a game held back because of it's misguided Assassin's Creed tittle. An identity that forces itself on some truly fascinating elements, making an odd mix.

The naval combat is back from AS3, and it's still awesome. On top of that you got a bunch of other activities like whaling (no, I DON'T support animal cruelty but for the sake of historic accuracy I approve), and sailing through a storm is a truly impressive and intense moment. The thing is, all those things get all after a while, specially on a game asking for many hours of dedication.

So what's the problem here? Well, on top of the naval exploration. You have all your traditional Assassin's Creed activities like spying, stalking, and of course assassinating. Mind you, all these elements work perfectly find but in my honest opinion they don't match the pirating theme.

I just wish, Black Flag would have been just a pirate game, and with a focus of pirate activities. Give us pillaging, in depth treasure quests, or the option to become buccaneers. The Assassin's Creed games are fantastic (mostly), but this combination of a pirate game and an AS game is depriving us from two amazing games. One amazing pirate game, and another amazing AS game.
  32. Oct 8, 2014
    It was fun but like all Assassin creed games only the first time really counts.

the goods o naval combat was amazing and taking on man of wars is always fun o naval Songs was great o very little load screens o a true open world experience o combat is as always top notch the bads o main character not really an assassin (kinda lame considering its assassins creed) o underwater
    It was fun but like all Assassin creed games only the first time really counts.

the goods
    o naval combat was amazing and taking on man of wars is always fun
    o naval Songs was great
    o very little load screens
    o a true open world experience
    o combat is as always top notch
    the bads
    o underwater diving was kinda lame
    o the story in general is really getting confusing
  33. Oct 1, 2014
    Arrrrr Matey! Get your pirate on in the latest version of Assassin's Creed. This being my first AC experience, I must say I was captured more by the side activities, as well as the naval combat, than I was the main quests. Beautiful done graphics with an amazingly accurate ocean simulator built in to make for a engaging sailing experience. Worth a buy.
  34. Sep 30, 2014
    A very enjoyable experience with stunning visuals and a vast and beautiful open world and a strong story, Assassin's Creed IV is a game I would recommend to any fan of the franchise or open world games in general.

It certainly isn't the traditional Assassin's Creed formula, but the change is far from bad.
  35. Sep 28, 2014
    This is probably the best game on the PS4 library IMO. The combat and control in this installment are vastly improved. The controls very tight and responsive and the combat itself is pretty engaging. Edward Kenway, while not my favorite character in the franchise (that would Ezio); is a very enjoyable protagonist/anti-hero. The newly-introduced pirate gameplay is a welcome new mechanic inThis is probably the best game on the PS4 library IMO. The combat and control in this installment are vastly improved. The controls very tight and responsive and the combat itself is pretty engaging. Edward Kenway, while not my favorite character in the franchise (that would Ezio); is a very enjoyable protagonist/anti-hero. The newly-introduced pirate gameplay is a welcome new mechanic in the series. Sailing your own ship with your own crew on this game's HUGE world adds a lot of atmosphere and fun to the game. And the fights with other ships are difficult, engaging, and really damn fun. You really feel like a pirate AND an assassin in this game. My only "problems" is that the game's world isn't as charming as ACII. But overall this game is bloody amazing, I recommend it to ANYBODY with a PS4. Expand
  36. Sep 24, 2014
    Meh...

Its pretty ok! As a pirate game, it's a 8.5/10 or something like that. As an assassins creed game, it's still good. But at the end I felt a bit bored, but the pirating was still fun!
  37. Sep 20, 2014
    First off, this game is by far my favorite of the series. Edward was a fantastic character with some outstanding surrounding characters and some not so outstanding.

Story- The story revolved around Edward getting caught up with the Assassin's and the Templars and a search for something big. All the while, Edward is plundering ships, searching islands for loot, hunting animals, crafting

Story-
    The story revolved around Edward getting caught up with the Assassin's and the Templars and a search for something big. All the while, Edward is plundering ships, searching islands for loot, hunting animals, crafting weapons and armor, upgrading his ship, and stabbing people. There are plenty of side missions such as Assassin contracts and templar hunts that will keep you sidetracked, too. You can search for all the animus fragments, gather shanties for your crew, and loot chests. You will also climb the viewpoints, defeat naval bases, and swim for sunken treasure. That is just scratching the surface for story and side missions because I highly recommend you play this game. The story is good, but not fantastic.

Gameplay-
    This game is 50% an Assassin's Creed game and 50% a pirate game. Personally, the sailing portions in the 3rd game didn't appeal to me, and although I liked it better here, the game was easily superior when Edward was stalking someone preparing to kill them. The sailing portions were fun, but got a little repetitive. Naval battles were fun, but there was some major difficulty spike issue that I had through my play through. When you are on land, however, you stick the Assassin's Creed basics. You will tail enemies, assassinate targets, climb rooftops and trees (By far the best part in this game is the nature aspect)and have sword fights. It basically sticks to the roots of the very first game, but flows so much better.

Presentation-
    The music is amazing. The visuals are downright gorgeous and the sound effects are AMAZING. These are honestly some of the best sound effects I have heard in a game. The way rain hits the gravel and Edwards sprints through the muddy terrain sounds like it's happening right next to you. Seeing a humpback whale breach is amazing as you sail the seemingly endless ocean is breathtaking( see what I did there?)

Cons-
    -The game can get a little repetitive as the land segments haven't changed much in the past years.
    -Some of the surrounding characters were rather dull and seemed unimportant and sometimes hard to follow story wise
    -Difficulty spikes were littered throughout the game, which got frustrating at some points
    -Why must we have present day segments? It wasn't as bad or as long as Desmond sequences but they were just pointless and took me out of the experience.

Overall-
    So far the best PS4 game I have played. The story alone will take you 20ish hours and that is without side quests and the bunch. Much better than 3 in every way. Buy this game if you haven't already. Also I want to get Freedom Cry too! :)
  38. Sep 18, 2014
    This is a really good action, stealth and adventure game. The story is ok, but the gameplay is what really makes this game great. You spend most your time on-land, where you will be killing enemies, either by stealth, combat, or gunfire. There are a lot of side missions as well, with good rewards. However, as you are a pirate, you also have a big ship that you can customise and upgrade,This is a really good action, stealth and adventure game. The story is ok, but the gameplay is what really makes this game great. You spend most your time on-land, where you will be killing enemies, either by stealth, combat, or gunfire. There are a lot of side missions as well, with good rewards. However, as you are a pirate, you also have a big ship that you can customise and upgrade, and of course use to take down other ships or fortresses. Expand
  39. Sep 16, 2014
    This game was nothing short of amazing. I thoroughly enjoyed the story, but as one of the game designers for this game pointed out during a demo, your lovely ship, the Jackdaw, is the second main character here. Frankly, one I enjoyed more than our standard protagonist even. The ship combat is addictive and about an authentic as you could possibly want in a video game. It hits all theThis game was nothing short of amazing. I thoroughly enjoyed the story, but as one of the game designers for this game pointed out during a demo, your lovely ship, the Jackdaw, is the second main character here. Frankly, one I enjoyed more than our standard protagonist even. The ship combat is addictive and about an authentic as you could possibly want in a video game. It hits all the right high notes. Your cheering crew singing sea shanties as you crash through the waves seeking a target with water washing over your desk is a surreal feeling. The 'legendary ship' encounters are particularly on-point and satisfying after overcoming them. If you played one of the previous Assassin's Creed games and have ever fancied yourself a pirate, it'd be downright criminal to not play this. Expand
  40. Sep 10, 2014
    I played the game at launch of the Playstation 4, and it was the best launch title in my opinion. It was Assassin's Creed with exploration. Getting the chance to play as a pirate was pretty awesome. The only downfall it got pretty repetitive, but still well worth it, I put 60 hours into the single player campaign and to me that is worth it. Multiplayer though in Assassin's Creed just isn'tI played the game at launch of the Playstation 4, and it was the best launch title in my opinion. It was Assassin's Creed with exploration. Getting the chance to play as a pirate was pretty awesome. The only downfall it got pretty repetitive, but still well worth it, I put 60 hours into the single player campaign and to me that is worth it. Multiplayer though in Assassin's Creed just isn't for me, it is unique but gets boring. Expand
  41. Sep 7, 2014
    This game is so overrated, it's annoying. C'mon people, it's basically just a clone of AC3, same visual style, same gameplay, no new tricks, fewer less interesting weapons and of course the sailing, which we also got to see first in AC3. I really don't understand how so many people hate AC3 and just loves AC4. I get that many still mourn Ezio's departure from the series, but hey he isn'tThis game is so overrated, it's annoying. C'mon people, it's basically just a clone of AC3, same visual style, same gameplay, no new tricks, fewer less interesting weapons and of course the sailing, which we also got to see first in AC3. I really don't understand how so many people hate AC3 and just loves AC4. I get that many still mourn Ezio's departure from the series, but hey he isn't the only thing that matters. I love AC, i've played every game ever since it's introduction in 2007. My favorite of them all (besides AC2 because it was a vast improvement over the first in everything) is AC3. Why? Because Brotherhood only introduced 1 new thing, summoning assassin's, Revelations is probably my least favorite. In every game that followed AC2 they gave us maybe 1 new thing to do or weapon to attack and then took something else away. In AC3 everything changed, Connor's running/jumping/crawling style is the same as Edwards. The Tomahawk was badass my favorite. The 2 swords Edward has are the only thing different from Connor. He's basically Connor, just with plastic surgery and 2 swords. The graphics are really great, i have to say that. But overall it just isn't anything we haven't seen before, even the main story. I really miss Desmond btw, i think it's lousy we have to play as some random Templar, really makes it feel this franchise just became a moneymaking machine with no depth or anything. Can't wait till' ACU, that looks real innovative for a change. Expand
  42. Sep 7, 2014
    AC3 over AC4
    AC3 over AC4
    I think that this is a wonderful game in terms of graphics but I think everything else was horrible. Being on the water was one of the worst experiences and this was really downgrade from AC3. The missions and side missions were not intriguing especially the ones on the water. AC3 was fine because only a tiny bit of the game was on the sea so it was sort of a nice change yet I wouldn't applaud it. The fighting was way too easy, anyone could take out a group of 1,000,000 guys by them self! The game forced you to play the missions and not just roam around because if you did you couldn't do anything! If you make a game like that at least make the missions fun! you didn't need any strategy or be stealthy at all you could just run right into a fort. AC3 over AC4
  43. Sep 3, 2014
    It's truly is amazing how far Ubisoft has came since the first Assassin's creed game... This game is amazing obviously, just like every other Assassin's creed game! The Characters, Graphics, Voices, Open world and everything about this game is perfect! 10/10 all the way, one of the best Next gen games so far!
  44. Sep 1, 2014
    Epic. From the lush graphics, the fluid gameplay right down to the absorbing soundtrack. The game massive and littered with a million things to do. The characters are actually interesting and leaves you wanting to know more about them. The main protagonist is a breath of fresh air compared to previous efforts. The only downside is that in many ways it doesn't feel like an AC game. IndeedEpic. From the lush graphics, the fluid gameplay right down to the absorbing soundtrack. The game massive and littered with a million things to do. The characters are actually interesting and leaves you wanting to know more about them. The main protagonist is a breath of fresh air compared to previous efforts. The only downside is that in many ways it doesn't feel like an AC game. Indeed it didn't have to be. There was no need for the modern setting to even be in this game. I fear Ubisoft were worried if it didn't carry the name it might not have sold as well. I think the next incarnation of AC will go back to the more traditional style which is a shame....it does however leave some scope for a future pirate style game which I would fully embrace. Expand
  45. Aug 26, 2014
    I have never played an AC game until this and I was pleasantly surprised.

The graphics and open world, created by the use of ships, and the amount of customization made the game fun. However, the amount of random glitches and useless exploring required to achieve these upgrades got boring quick. There is some fun challenges with community events and elite ships, but unless you have
    I have never played an AC game until this and I was pleasantly surprised.

There is some fun challenges with community events and elite ships, but unless you have friends who play, you can feel rather isolated in a game that seems to want some form of co-op.

Definitely recommend this game.
  46. Aug 22, 2014
    Excellent game...had the free roam option so you can sail around and do as you please or follow story line.was not to short and had a decent story line....
  47. Aug 13, 2014
    Assassin's Creed IV:Black Flag
    Game-play:The game play is awesome i love it,ubisoft use the same techniques as AC3 but they have improve them and now is has no glitches and the dual sword play is awesome,the ship battles have also improved and you will really enjoy shooting with your cannons at the enemy
    Assassin's Creed IV:Black Flag
    Story:A great story with pirates,assassins and templars with well made characters that it will take you about 13 to 14 hours
    Graphics:I see some improvements,the game still looks amazing
    Notes:There are lot of weapons and outfits for edward and a lot customisation options for his ship,some times the characters do not appear on the screen but that is only for a few seconds,the side missions are awesome and really fun to play,the huge open world is amazing and you always have something to do there are 4 major cities in the game an lot of small places to make the world feel alive and it succeeds to do that,a must buy masterpiece
  48. Aug 6, 2014
    Really fun. It takes what 3 did with it's shop battles and expands on it really well. There's a few little annoyances that never seem to get sorted in the sequels like climbing up weird angles on the ship mast, but it's not enough to put you off. Multiplayer is good fun too.
  49. Aug 2, 2014
    Overall a mediocre experience. The controls are good, really good graphics, a great looking open world. But, other than that it really isn't that much different from AC3. I personally think that AC3 was more innovative in it's overall gameplay experience. It deferred much from the other AC games in style and combat. There we was also first introduced to sailing ships, although it's muchOverall a mediocre experience. The controls are good, really good graphics, a great looking open world. But, other than that it really isn't that much different from AC3. I personally think that AC3 was more innovative in it's overall gameplay experience. It deferred much from the other AC games in style and combat. There we was also first introduced to sailing ships, although it's much more developed in AC4 and much more a part of the game than AC3. AC4's style is almost identical to AC3 (like running, walking, crawling, jumping etc.), the combat is also almost the same (like the special movies where you kill 2 opponents at a time with your pistols or rope darts), the combat style is a little different because obviously we now have 2 weapons at the same time, but not as cool or fluent as Connor's axe (that is my favorite AC weapon of all time). Ubisoft really got lazy with this one, also there's not much variety in the gameplay (like sailing all over the world which is freakin' huge looking for animus fragments and chests is really boring after a while and painfully repetitive) and the lack of different weapons you can buy like Ezio's many gadgets (grenades etc.) 2 handed weapons (which you can get in this game, but only from the guards). And i really think it's boring that you can get the most damaging sword in a matter of hours as damage levels are only as high as 5. There really isn't much of a challenge in the AC games, i really miss a difficulty level you can choose from. Enemies are easily overcome even if there's 20 surrounding you. And the story is like any other AC game. It's overall repetitive and certainly not improved that much from the other games. This game is way too easy, and incredibly overrated. AC3 is much better. I really don't understand how so many people can think this is far superior to AC3, and think AC3 is the worst entry in the series (Revelations anyone?), maybe it's the nostalgia from the Ezio games and you just thought all other characters and settings that came after, no matter how great, was complete a** in comparison. I really hope that AC Unity will come up with many new things and ideas, because if this, repeating everything from the previous games over and over again, continues i'm done with this series. I love the AC series, i played the first one when it came out and have now played all games (except for the dlc add-ons) and praise them for the style and gameplay. But ever since AC Brotherhood (because of the summoning Assassin's to help you) i really don't think the games have come up with anything new. Luckily from the looks of it, AC Unity will finally show us something new and exciting. Can't wait. But in the meantime 3 stars for this clone Expand
  50. Jul 31, 2014
    Best Assassin's Creed game since 2. Probably my most played PS4 launch game, lost to do in single player. Loses a point for having pointless Multiplayer trophies.
  51. Jul 29, 2014
    Don't waste your money with AC IV for PS4. This only a mediocre game for a PS3, and its flaws are even more unforgivable in the next-gen console.

The graphics are inconsistent. There are some amazing lightning + rain effects, but for the most part you feel you are playing a PS3 game, unlike Tomb Raider, who really looked better in PS4. The game mechanics are poor, and you will find

The game mechanics are poor, and you will find yourself playing a game from 7 years ago in your PS4. Combats are as poor and minimalist as possible and Main quest doesn't make any sense. Are you playing an AC mission or a "legendary pirates" one? Whats the link between those famous pirates and the AC main plot? Most missions from the main plot are always the same: you need catch someone in annoying missions, you need to hear some conversation while no one notice you are around, you need to kill some specific character that is as easy to kill as any random enemy, repeat, over and over again.

The "office missions" are so bad and boring that you won't believe they are putting that kind of thing in a so called "AAA game".

AC is an open world game, but I never thought an open world game and Caribbean would be THAT boring. The pirates will sing the same songs over and over again, the small islands all look the same, and usually all you can do there is to open some random chest and find some random treasure.

The cities are not as enjoyable to explore as the ones from previous games, people waking on the streets all look the same...

I believe those professional reviews giving this game favorable critics were made after few hours of gameplay. In the first 10 hours, this game really seemed amazing, but after that I realized there was nothing new to do in the game. After completing 25% of the game, I just decided to stop wasting my time in Caribbean.

The early Assassins Creed Unity gameplay suggests the first AC game for next gen is coming this year, and it exposes how bad AC IV is as PS4 game.

Avoid this one.
  52. Jul 26, 2014
    Finished this game a week ago.
    The latest installment to the Assassin's Creed franchise, featuring a new character, Edward Kenway.
    As you may know, Edward Kenway is the grandfather of Connor Kenway, the protagonist from Assassin's Creed III. Edward is just another pirate who's trying to find lots of money, so he can live carefree in this world. One day his ship crashed and he was
    Finished this game a week ago.
    Edward is just another pirate who's trying to find lots of money, so he can live carefree in this world. One day his ship crashed and he was stranded in an island. There, he met an Assassin, he killed him and took the Assassin's name as his own. Edward is the first character in the Assassin's Creed that learn everything about assassination not from the Creed. He's self taught because he has the "sense" of an Assassin (In other words, a genius). Find out the journey of Edward in the Caribbean Sea.

Plus point:
    - First Assassin's Creed game that was released on a next gen console. And i must say, although the graphics are not better than Tomb Raider Definitive Edition, the environment is awesome. The sea, the sky, everything is so colorful, making your naval journey awesome. Also harpooning is fun.
    - A new character who is unique and breaking the stereotype of Assassin's Creed protagonist. Edward, he doesn't care about justice and stuffs like that, all he wants is money. And his character development is really interesting, because he becomes a "real" assassin at the end of the game.
    - Battle systems are as always, too easy and boring. But this time, our hero use a new weapons. Which is Dual Sword & 4 Handgun. Pretty neat.
    - Freedom Cry, a stand alone DLC was released for this game. It told the story of Adewale, Edward's crew on the Jackdaw. The story takes place a few years after Black Flag, although Edward's name was mentioned a few times, it was unknown about how he was doing. This DLC worth every penny of it. It's enough to enjoy the Caribbean Sea once again with another character and another purpose.

Minus point:
    - The world is too large. I found myself spending too much time on the exploration part.While the story is just too short. Sailing through the sea took my sweet time on this game. I must say that it was quite boring sailing through the sea and waiting for my ship to arrive at the destination.
    - Same old Assassin's Creed. Hope Ass Creed Unity can bring a new wind to this franchise.

The verdict:
    I don't know why the hate for ACIV. I love the game & i love edward. The game is visually stunning in some aspects, but kinda looks bad on another. Although there are no new big changes to the gameplay, the story itself isn't that bad. It's good to see someone different from the previous protagonists. If you have PS4, then play this on PS4. It's really good, since there are no problems with Frame Skip like in PS3. The game runs smoothly on PS4. Totally recommended. But i must say, that this is just another game of Assassin's Creed. Nothing more and nothing less. 7/10 for this game.
  53. Jul 24, 2014
    Tried to re ignite my love for the AC franchise, but it didnt work. I do not like this pirate idea, its really not a good idea, i guess thats why they are going with the idea behind Unity. The graphics are good and the game runs really well thats why im giving it a 7 and i can fully understand how some people will love it, especially if they are into pirtates etc, but seeing as im not andTried to re ignite my love for the AC franchise, but it didnt work. I do not like this pirate idea, its really not a good idea, i guess thats why they are going with the idea behind Unity. The graphics are good and the game runs really well thats why im giving it a 7 and i can fully understand how some people will love it, especially if they are into pirtates etc, but seeing as im not and i am not keen on the idea of it in a video game i have to give it a 7. Expand
  54. Jul 21, 2014
    Really fun and engaging. Takes elements of all its predecessors and shapes it into something new and innovating. Glad to see the ship battles expanded and oh, so great. I devoured this game and the only two points of criticism I got is the way the end feels rushed ( okay I'll join the assassins, kill kill, the end ) and the level of repetitivity in its side missions.
    The legendary ships
    The legendary ships are amazing..
  55. Jul 20, 2014
    Best assassin's creed.

Must buy for all gamers. Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers. Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all
    Best assassin's creed.

Must buy for all gamers.
    Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.
    Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.Must buy for all gamers.
  56. Jul 18, 2014
    This is a real return to form for Ubisoft. I was so disappointed with the last Assassin's Creed that I almost didn't buy this. It was only after recommendations that I eventually decided to give it a go and I am so pleased that I did.
    Black Flag gives us a main character that you want to get behind again, you want to win and sets it all in a map that you want to travel around. The attention to detail as you are traveling around for the strangers you pass to the animals that run by you is just incredible.
    Sure its not without its issue and perhaps the map is a bit too big (I used fast travel a lot) and every now and then it does glitch but this are minor things in a game that has rebuilt my confidence in this franchise. Bring on the revolution.
  57. Jul 17, 2014
    The same good typical Assassin's Creed but in new setting with great addition of new game play on the see! Good combat mechanics with reasonable stealth! One of the best game of the 2013, and is going to a contender for the Game of the year!
  58. Jul 16, 2014
    Amazing game. Never really been a fan of all the other Assassin's Creed games, but Black flag...
    is awesome. I give it a ten because of the amazing graphics (and still 40+ fps), exploration ability / free roam and the good old fighting style.

Great game Ubisoft. You and your games are improving a great deal.
  59. Jul 13, 2014
    Easily the best game in the Assassin's Creed franchise. After the low that was Assassin's Creed 3, I think most fans can agree that we were worried about the next AC being a disappointment, as well.

Connor was probably the most disliked AC character to date, with his monotone, mediocre voice-acting and overall dull "must do right" character. Edward Kenway, on the other hand, brings a

Edward Kenway, on the other hand, brings a much lighter tone to the franchise, akin to Jack Sparrow.

The story is great. The combat, crafting, free-running and everything else has all been revamped. I bought this game the day it came out and it has quickly become my favorite Assassin's Creed.
  60. Jul 12, 2014
    Without a doubt my personal favorite in the Assassin's Creed series! I've always been fascinated with lives and times of pirates since I was a kid, so much like Red Dead Redemption this game is a love letter to someone like me! The lead character is a lovable picture perfect pirate and the story is very interesting with many awesome levels and twists that I don't think you'll see coming! IWithout a doubt my personal favorite in the Assassin's Creed series! I've always been fascinated with lives and times of pirates since I was a kid, so much like Red Dead Redemption this game is a love letter to someone like me! The lead character is a lovable picture perfect pirate and the story is very interesting with many awesome levels and twists that I don't think you'll see coming! I enjoyed this game very much last year on the Playstation 3 and I'm enjoying it even more this time around with the enhanced graphics of the Playstation 4! Everything is rendered with the most detail you could imagine, everything so little as water splashing on the deck of your ship or the leave of a push brushing against your body as you move through it you will find it very hard to develop a complaint against this game, not only in the graphics department but the game as a whole! Expand
  61. Jul 11, 2014
    Aaaaargh you ready for a review...get it...get it?

Anyway, this game is the best game of the series since AC2 which was hard to beat, but the world Ubisoft created in this game is near flawless. Standing on a cliff looking out over the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean or battling a rogue wave is breathtaking and we haven't even stabbed anyone yet. The two main characters of this
    Aaaaargh you ready for a review...get it...get it?

The two main characters of this game, Edward Kenway and The Jackdaw, are both enjoyable to captain if you will. Edward is the most aloof assassin to date and rightfully so, he's a pirate and likes to drink and be merry with the rest of his brethren. Do not get me wrong, he is a badass through and through, and anytime you have more guns than hands you know everything will be alright. The Jackdaw is truly a main character in this game as you spend 50% of the time on her and leaving a path of destruction in her wake.

The gameplay is fairly standard for this series and as introduced in AC3 it is fun to be able to climb trees in this tropical paradise. The combat is par for the course for the AC series, but for me, the counter system has always been great, but I can see the argument made that it makes combat a little too simple.

The only reason I couldn't bring myself to give this game a 10 is when you are fighting a horde of enemies (Ship Boarding/Fort Battles) Edward has a hard time figuring out who to fight.

Overall, this is a must play game for the PS4 and a must own for any AC fan.

- James Von Doom
  62. Jul 4, 2014
    More of the same which isn't a bad thing, it looks beautiful, the controls are good and the missions are great fun but tend to be a bit of a slog on some occasions. The sailing on the open seas are fantastic with plenty to do. The multiplayer is a bit of a let down with no real changes but still fun enough. All in all if you're a fan you'll enjoy it, not a must buy but a worth a place inMore of the same which isn't a bad thing, it looks beautiful, the controls are good and the missions are great fun but tend to be a bit of a slog on some occasions. The sailing on the open seas are fantastic with plenty to do. The multiplayer is a bit of a let down with no real changes but still fun enough. All in all if you're a fan you'll enjoy it, not a must buy but a worth a place in your collection. Expand
  63. Jul 3, 2014
    This has got to be the best game I've ever played...EVER. And I'm not a fan of assassin's creed.

You can kill, pirate, build your pirate ship and sail the high seas, find dead bodies and collect treasure maps then try to find the treasure by looking at a chalk drawing and finding matching landscapes, spear-hunt sharks and whales, deep sea skin dive and all kinds of stuff. The only thing you CAN'T do is drugs, although you can still go to a bar and talk to hookers (yes, you really can).
  64. Jun 28, 2014
    Assassins Creed Black Flag is a really good game. Its fun and has a lot of stuff to do. But IT IS NOT NEXT GEN graphics are bad. Even worse than some games that came out for the 360 and ps3. Maps are big but repetitive nothing new same design. However it is fun and it is worth your money.
  65. Jun 15, 2014
    black flag is not only the greatest pirate game but one of the best games of 201314 you play a character that is very different from the other assassins and this is a fresh much needed entry in the series
  66. Jun 9, 2014
    This is how I like my games. A good plot, awesome main characters, spot on gameplay. A massive improvement from AC3, I might add. The repetitive side missions, frustrating island hopping and (rarely) annoying controls take away the one point. The immersion, the fun and everything I expect of a proper game are there. More, please.
  67. Ed_
    Jun 5, 2014
    The game is fantastic, enjoyable. Despite the new era and the new gameplay Assassin's Creed 4 could continue its ancestors' success. The story is great as always. No bugs and there are no problems with controls. The game worth every penny.

Can't wait for the new Unity.
  68. Jun 3, 2014
    Assassin's creed: Black flag is interesting in the fact that, while giving the appearance of a fresh new,massive world, it becomes clear after a few hours of hands on time, that assassin's creed black flag is indeed just another game in the franchise with a new coat of paint.

While the setting may have changed from European mainlands, to beautiful Caribbean island locations; the game-play has widely remained unchanged. From the typical tail the NPC missions, to the unchanged combat mechanics, dated character animations, and physics.That' s not to say this game doesn't have its moments, because it certainly does.

Sailing the high seas is extremely enjoyable, while also taking in the beautiful locations and activities the game has to offer.

The new setting offers pretty oceans and islands, it really isn't that graphically outstanding.
    Quite disappointing really.

This game is a fun and entertaining one, it just doesn't offer anything drastically new or innovating for the series. Being an assassin's creed game, you should truly know what to expect.
  69. May 29, 2014
    Graphics: 8.8 Sound: 9.5 Gameplay: 9.2 Fun/Story: 9.2

Graphics: 8.8 Sound: 9.5 Gameplay: 9.2 Fun/Story: 9.2

A great game, sometimes makes me remember the beautiful Wind Waker (which is very positive). Graphics aren´t next gen at all but generally are very good and there are lots of nice places to discover. This game lasts 20-30 hours at main story and more 10-15 hours in side missions. Some tedious tailing missions and some physics erros should be corrected.
  70. May 29, 2014
    The controls were smooth and responsive but the gameplay felt dated and lacklustre. While Kenway is a likeable protagonist, the story is a bit disjointed and forgettable. Never really felt like an assassin, but I do like the pirate theme. I think the graphics and collectibles kept me going in this game.
  71. May 27, 2014
    AC4 is a beautiful game. The scenery is incredible beautiful to just watch and there is so much to do and explore that it will also drag you back to play it more. Yes a few stuff get a bit repeatedly but if you look beyond those moments, this is a great game that will keep you entertain for many hours.
  72. May 24, 2014
    Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag is one of the best Assassin's Creed games yet. Gameplay is improved and more fluid, graphics are amazing (both on current and last gen), story is one of the best and engrossing. The part of this game that really shines is the world. The game takes place in a lush, colorful, and lively interpretation of the 18th century Caribbean (Nassau, Kingston and HavanaAssassin's Creed IV: Black Flag is one of the best Assassin's Creed games yet. Gameplay is improved and more fluid, graphics are amazing (both on current and last gen), story is one of the best and engrossing. The part of this game that really shines is the world. The game takes place in a lush, colorful, and lively interpretation of the 18th century Caribbean (Nassau, Kingston and Havana are the three main cities). The world feels lived in and large. In addition to the three main cities, dozens of fully accessible islands are also at the players disposal. Lots of collectables and treasure are sure to keep you occupied after finishing the game. Naval combat is pushed upon you in this game and that is not a bad thing, these naval combat sections are really entertaining. Not only do you play as a pirate in the game but there are a few sections in which you play as a present day Abstergo employee. In addition to all this, the main story is very lengthy (20+ hours). In my opinion the only real downside to this game is the multiplayer which feels like a copy and paste of the the AC3 multiplayer. Expand
  73. May 23, 2014
    If you're a huge fan of Assassin's Creed games and love every one then this is right up your alley. If you've never played one then this game is definitely worth picking up. If you've played the other 15 of these games and aren't interested until they present something new or innovative then hold on to your money. The side missions are repetitive but are fun the first 50 times or so.If you're a huge fan of Assassin's Creed games and love every one then this is right up your alley. If you've never played one then this game is definitely worth picking up. If you've played the other 15 of these games and aren't interested until they present something new or innovative then hold on to your money. The side missions are repetitive but are fun the first 50 times or so. Pirate ship battles are repetitive but are incredibly fun the first 50 times or so. The stalking missions are repetitive but fun... You get the idea.

The Assassin's Creed series is like the progression of watching Die Hard over the years. It was awesome and mind blowing the first time but when you put it in now, years later, it's still great but you know exactly what you're getting in to.
  74. May 22, 2014
    As someone who always find AC is overrated, I am surprised that how much I enjoyed to play this game for at least the first 20 hours. Definitely the best sailing/pirate game I played in the past 10 years. I cannot stop thinking how it can be if they cut the assassin nonsense but focus only on sailing part of the game and add more trading gameplay and a big map. Honestly, the assassin partAs someone who always find AC is overrated, I am surprised that how much I enjoyed to play this game for at least the first 20 hours. Definitely the best sailing/pirate game I played in the past 10 years. I cannot stop thinking how it can be if they cut the assassin nonsense but focus only on sailing part of the game and add more trading gameplay and a big map. Honestly, the assassin part is just boring and weird. The graphic on ps4 is candy. Expand
  75. May 21, 2014
    Assassin's Creed IV is a great game. The game-play was very fun. In my opinion the naval combat mechanics were the best part of this game. It was amazing, there is nothing like taking on a man of war and earning a big reward when you come out on top. There are so many things you can do in this game: you can sail to the open seas, you can fight other ships, look for buried treasure, takeAssassin's Creed IV is a great game. The game-play was very fun. In my opinion the naval combat mechanics were the best part of this game. It was amazing, there is nothing like taking on a man of war and earning a big reward when you come out on top. There are so many things you can do in this game: you can sail to the open seas, you can fight other ships, look for buried treasure, take over forts, and so much more. There are a couple things in this game that annoy me; the combat in this game was way too easy. You can easily beat this game using the default swords and pistols. The story in this game was nothing special. You play as Edward Kenway, a pirate trying to become rich. I thought Edward Kenway was an interesting character, but all the other characters in this game are forgettable. For example some of the characters you meet in this game will die and when it happens you really don’t care as much you should, which hurts the impact of the story overall. I always thought the Abstergo scenes hurt the AC story-line because they always take away from the main story you've been playing the whole game. The graphics in this game are good considering it was developed for last gen. Overall this is a very fun and addictive open world game. If you’re an AC fan I would recommend it, just for the naval combat alone. Expand
  76. May 20, 2014
    Pros:
    - Stealth gameplay is much better. I didn't even mind the "follow" missions.
    - Awesome naval gameplay. there's a lot to stuff to do on the sea. - abstergo story ties in to other assassin's creed games and the overall theme sort of makes sense. - the main story of Kenway is good. I identify much more with Kenway because I really don't care about assassins like him. - lots of
    Pros:
    - Stealth gameplay is much better. I didn't even mind the "follow" missions.
    - Awesome naval gameplay. there's a lot to stuff to do on the sea.
    - lots of things to do and there's a lot of variety with missions.
    - really like the darts, guns, some bombs

Cons:
    - most of the locations are quite similar to each other.
    - combat feels like button mashing
    - collectibles (treasures) are useless. They mostly exist to make the game look like there's a lot of stuff to do. just ignore them.
  77. May 13, 2014
    Story:
    Story:
    You play as Edward Kenway, the father of Haytham Kenway and Grandfather of Connor Kenway. You've left your home of England to pursue the almighty coin. One day, your ship crashes and after a series of events (involving the Templars of course), you wind up stealing a ship with the help of some prisoners, and you end up escaping from a naval fleet in the middle of a storm. I was surprised by how good the story was. Like its predecessors, the story's timeline lasts a few decades and throughout the story, you really see a change in Edward as his goals change, his friends interfere with his goals, and as he's hunted down by Templars. The dialogue is very well written with a nice "pirate-y" flavor added to it. Edward's friends are really entertaining to watch, and some of them are famous historical pirates (Blackbeard, Charles Vane, Bonnie, etc.). I'll also say that there are some death scenes here that really got to me due to how they were well executed with the music and atmosphere. I also thought that the ending was really heartwarming and emotional due to how you've developed a relationship with Edward and after everything he's been through. Unfortunately, since I haven't played AC2 yet (I plan on doing so in the future), I can't say if this is the best AC story ever made, but it's pretty close to that title. 10/10

Gameplay:
    The biggest new addition to AC4's gameplay is the emphasis on naval combat (No longer a side activity like in AC3). You get your own ship called the Jackdaw, which you use for traveling, combat, and for exploration. This is the 1st time that an AC game actually encourages exploration since the map is pretty large and there are so many islands, ancient ruins, and military camps to discover and loot, Actual wildlife to hunt and craft character upgrades for (just like in Far Cry 3) in both land and sea, and old ship wreaks to dive into and search for gold and ship upgrades. There are also forts that you can assault to reveal all locations in a certain area on your world map. These forts range, from easy, normal, and hard so you'll have to upgrade your ship if you want to stand a chance against some of the harder forts. the last new pirate-y feature Ubisoft added were 4 "legendary ships". Think of these as Raid Bosses from Borderlands 2 as they're really tough to sink, have special unrealistic abilities, and offer you 20,000 gold each, as well as a special ability you unlock if you sink all of them. Once you're on land, things slow down. The combat is still the same, easy, attack and block sequence from AC3, all the side activities from previous AC games (viewpoint syncing, treasure collecting, searching for documents and letters, upgrading your hideout, etc.) return, and the wanted system returns, but only for naval combat. A few new things were added for when you're on foot: No more notoriety, new taverns to unlock by beating up a bunch of drunk idiots (literally), new treasure maps which are fun to do, and new shanties to discover so your crew can sing to you while you're out at sea. The naval combat has been improved from AC3. Once you got the right upgrades, you can become deadly out on the open seas. You fire your main cannons from the side of your ship, you can ram from the front, use mortars for long range combat, use more powerful cannon balls for close range, and use barrels to set traps while you're fighting. Once you've nearly destroyed a ship, you can sink it for half loot (needed for $ and ship upgrades), or board it, complete a few minor objectives, and kill X amount of sailors to get full loot and more crew members. Even though my crew couldn't kill anyone, it was still fun to board a ship to steal all of its loot and treasure. You still have all the stealth parts of an AC game, and the forgettable modern day segments (different now that Desmond's gone), but aside from that, the gameplay is fun and adds a nice breath of fresh air with its new pirate elements (we REALLY need a good and new pirate game soon). 9/10

Graphics:
    This game looks and runs great on PS4, the lighting and textures are great, the character models are updated, and the water motions (especially during a storm) are well made. This by far the best looking AC game out there right now. 9/10

Sound:
    All the crew shanties sound like actual shanties, the score is good, and the environmental sounds are solid. 8/10

Multiplayer:
    Same as AC3. If you liked AC3's multiplayer, you'll like this ones. If you didn't like it, you're out of luck (The mode creator doesn't add much new content). 7/10

Verdict:
    Many people who've played AC2 said this was the 2nd best AC game ever made, and since there're aren't that many PS4 games out right now, go ahead and pick up a copy of this game, unless you don't care about pirate games. If Ubisoft keeps this up, then maybe the AC franchise has a chance to make a comeback after 2 disappointing games.

Rating: 9/10
  78. May 9, 2014
    I gave this a bad review awhile ago and I would like to change the review into a good one... I came back to the game after not having anything to play on my ps4... I never said it was a bad game but I did say that it was the same game as it's predecessors and I was kind of angry with myself for re-buying a game that was essential no different then before,,, The game is good and in myI gave this a bad review awhile ago and I would like to change the review into a good one... I came back to the game after not having anything to play on my ps4... I never said it was a bad game but I did say that it was the same game as it's predecessors and I was kind of angry with myself for re-buying a game that was essential no different then before,,, The game is good and in my opinion the best Assassins creed game to date.. The problem I do have with the game is that it's no different than the PS3 version of the game except a few tweaks to the graphics.. Expand
  79. May 9, 2014
    Assassins creed black flags protagonist is a little different than the others from the series but in a good way, Edward is in no way a do gooder like the other lead characters but not so much to make you dislike him. The battle system is the same as the other assassins creeds and sailing the sea is very satisfying and beautiful. I was very pleased with this title and can't wait for theAssassins creed black flags protagonist is a little different than the others from the series but in a good way, Edward is in no way a do gooder like the other lead characters but not so much to make you dislike him. The battle system is the same as the other assassins creeds and sailing the sea is very satisfying and beautiful. I was very pleased with this title and can't wait for the next installment in the series. Expand
  80. May 9, 2014
    pirate part of the game=good, but from the assassins creed franchise viewpoint its poor. every mission was pretty much the same (follow this guy, follow that guy.... oh now earsdrop on the conversation...kill. then it restarts) i havnt even finished it and im bored out of my **** mind
  81. May 4, 2014
    This game is such a masterpiece that after months of release, sometimes i m still playing it just for sailing in the open seas and watch for environment in Havana. It makes you feel like a pirate captain and gives you the chance being a master assassin in an amazing world.

The not-so-good part is the main storyline i think because it is not exciting to be an anonymous worker roaming in an abstergo office. After playing with Desmond Miles with his breath-taking history, i found these parts boring.
  82. May 3, 2014
    Finally. After total disaster and fail with AC3 good old AC is back. In many ways best AC until now. When I started to play I thought it will be pure 10/10, but they managed to spoil gameplay with some little things but big enough to partly spoil the game. First of all gfx, gameplay, crafting system is awesome. But there is way too much "follow"/"catch"/"tail" missions which are extremelyFinally. After total disaster and fail with AC3 good old AC is back. In many ways best AC until now. When I started to play I thought it will be pure 10/10, but they managed to spoil gameplay with some little things but big enough to partly spoil the game. First of all gfx, gameplay, crafting system is awesome. But there is way too much "follow"/"catch"/"tail" missions which are extremely dull. To be worst almost every memory have that. Would be better if they put that in side missions or something because this way you cannot avoid bad parts. Second, there is some Abstergo hack missions which are very annoying and pointless. To be worst Abstergo part doesn't improve story in any way. Game is on good way to be perfect. Without that bad parts it would be pure 10! Expand
  83. Apr 30, 2014
    This game was a ton of fun that had me addicted the entire time. I've played through it multiple times and still can't believe how like able all the characters are in this game. Edward is by far my favorite assassin with a very like able story and personality. This game is by far the best game on next gen consoles to date.
  84. Apr 28, 2014
    This game is one of the best launch titles for PS4! The open world is a gorgeous and fun place to do anything! You can take down naval forts, complete assassin contracts, Templar missions, go hunting, or just do some sightseeing! There's plenty for everyone here! The story is pretty interesting, with a heart warming twist at the end. Overall a must buy!
  85. Apr 26, 2014
    When I reviewed this game for the PS3 I loved it, But I told that Black Flag did not have enough to do, But after playing this game on PS4 for 5 months now, I am able to say that Black Flag was a experience, It has lot of stuff to do and is just fun, AC4 has a brilliant main character, Edward along with Ed Thatch, Adawale, James Kidd and others create a story which is centered aroundWhen I reviewed this game for the PS3 I loved it, But I told that Black Flag did not have enough to do, But after playing this game on PS4 for 5 months now, I am able to say that Black Flag was a experience, It has lot of stuff to do and is just fun, AC4 has a brilliant main character, Edward along with Ed Thatch, Adawale, James Kidd and others create a story which is centered around money, It never takes itself seriously, Gameplay is fun and you spend a lot of time upgrading the Jackdaw which is your ship and buy all sorts of weapons and outfits, However the true problem with AC games still stands, Which are these annoying main missions which involve tailing, Eavesdropping and assassinating, The missions have moderate variety and I hope they innovate with that soon enough, Nonetheless AC4 is amazing, a game that will make you come back to it very often and a game that I would recommend it to anyone ! 9/10 !!! Expand
  86. Apr 26, 2014
    While AC4 is certainly an improvement on AC3, and I loved the naval battles and the deep sea diving sections, the game's cities lack that grand scope that the 1st and 2nd had. Furthermore, the lack of a wanted level in the town's makes my random acts of violence go without consequence.

Although this game does repair many of the bugs from AC3, I still found plenty of little problems, some of which kicked me out of the game. None of the sequences stood out to me as any real amount of fun, except for the templar hunts. It's too bad that these were side missions rather than what the game focused on. As much as I enjoyed sailing and pirating, getting all the collectibles across all those uncharted islands is such a chore. Some of the other smaller locales don't even have guards or anything to make them interesting. They look all the same as well. A few design choices seemed a little clueless as well. I'm sorry, but Florida does not have peaks and cliffs.

The game was good, and there's certainly a sense of adventure, but it feels too much like a chore to sail around. Good thing there's fast travel. I like the frontier areas and running through trees, but there is too much, and the cities themselves never impressed me, and there was no reason to walk around and see all of the city. I much prefer the city and environments of the 1st and 2nd installment that seemed so grandiose.
  87. Apr 22, 2014
    Excellent game that is beautiful and very fun to play. The naval combat gameplay is phenomenal, including its iOS app. The attention to detail is staggering and this is why I can't recommend this game enough.
  88. Apr 21, 2014
    Loved the game played till i got 100% the games open world of the seas made you fell like a pirate. Also the other characters in the game had lots of different personality. fishing ,finding, treasure, upgrading your guy, an your boat, going into woods to hunting are all really fun to do. Movement in the game was really easy to manipulate so is the combat sneaking and boat battles.Loved the game played till i got 100% the games open world of the seas made you fell like a pirate. Also the other characters in the game had lots of different personality. fishing ,finding, treasure, upgrading your guy, an your boat, going into woods to hunting are all really fun to do. Movement in the game was really easy to manipulate so is the combat sneaking and boat battles. things i did not like was going on the land and exploring because there was not much land to explore on. Expand
  89. Apr 18, 2014
    Where do i begin, the setting is very welcoming and colourful, the characters are quite well written with some believable dialogue. There are plenty of things to do but as with many none rpg games they get extremely repetitive with silly trivial and tedious items to collect, and other menial tasks like escort missions and killing a certain amount of enemies. The controls are extremelyWhere do i begin, the setting is very welcoming and colourful, the characters are quite well written with some believable dialogue. There are plenty of things to do but as with many none rpg games they get extremely repetitive with silly trivial and tedious items to collect, and other menial tasks like escort missions and killing a certain amount of enemies. The controls are extremely irritating and inconsistent, you have to do things in increments, you cant play the game in a fluid manner, for example upon defeating a enemy ship, and are about to board you walk up to your swivel gun mounted on the side of the ship and you cant press the interact button straight away you have to wait for about a second for your character to come to a halt then do so. It gets so infuriating. your character gets stuck to walls and ledges when you don't want to, it practically ruins the game alone. The graphics are ridiculous for a new generation of console, cause its cheaper for ubisoft to use a old engine than produce a new one. There are many auto save glitches as well i was at 33% then the next time i booted up the game it was at 25% i lost about 8-10 hours of progress so after that i just sold it back. The storyline is ridiculously far fetched and pathetic. I wanted to like it really, but it was wrought with repetition and frustration. Expand
  90. Apr 17, 2014
    Ships, Pirates, and underwater treasure. This game is awesome! Battling on the seas feels so good and while it may take some time getting used to when you do, you feel like a boss. My only real complaint with this game is the combat feels a tad weak. The combos are pretty repetitive and doesn't keep me as engaged. All in all, a great port of a great game.
  91. Apr 13, 2014
    The Assassin´s Creed IV: Black Flag review

Are ya ready kids! Aye aye Captain Kenway! Ow yeah. Well, as I went through this game there was no stopping my exploration needs. Every ten square meter island I saw and every shore with those badass flamingos flying around was an instant stop for my wave cruising ride called “The Jackdaw”. This curiosity that I had for the map was fueled by
    The Assassin´s Creed IV: Black Flag review

Are ya ready kids! Aye aye Captain Kenway!
    Ow yeah.
    Well, as I went through this game there was no stopping my exploration needs. Every ten square meter island I saw and every shore with those badass flamingos flying around was an instant stop for my wave cruising ride called “The Jackdaw”. This curiosity that I had for the map was fueled by the enormous work that went into the creation and detail of the sea and its little islands as well as the inland jungle. Previous games had big cities as their main location but now, as well as having a few of these; the creators have gifted you with a whole ocean for traversing. The movement and the character that the sea shows are beautiful as well as dangerous as this bastard throws you some nasty storms some times. Another added feature aside from the open world sea exploring were the diving sequences which are actually quite a few. I had some trouble with these as the mechanics aren´t all that perfect and I kept going nose first into those damn sea urchins. But aside from the clumsiness (that is expected from any underwater levels) it manages to handle them with the awe of seeing the depth of the ocean, man! Goosebumps!
    Ship boarding and fort taking are some cool mechanics that the game also offers and they serve the fleshing out of the characters as well as random unscripted cinematic action sequences which make you feel like a badass.
    Speaking of cinematic sequences I loved the ones that Ubisoft created for us. Of course, they are scripted but nothing beats a pirate running across a swamp, with rain pouring on him and crocodiles snap at his legs. They give you some cool camera movements too!
    Before mentioning the awesome moment that completed my love for this game I will address some negatives about it. One being the free run mechanics which in some important mission points just decided that should just stop hang completely motionless from a rooftop and have a little chat with the local rooftop cat. These moments have been present since the dawn of the Assassin´s Creed games and it would be very pleasing if they could be corrected in the future. My other problem with it is that some cutscenes and story moments felt rushed at times. I can understand this as the game is more focused in ambience and exploration but some felt lacking some character.
    I think the negative argument from above would have been less noticeable had the other cutscenes not been so freaking awesome and gorgeously made. The takes are amazingly done (sometimes) and some dialogue in some the cutscenes really stood out for me, Blackbeard´s speech for example. But there is one cutscene, one that makes this game rule over every other AC games. SPOILER ALERT.
    The final cutscene isn´t something you see every day. And I say this because it could have ended with whatever short cutscene featuring Edward going away. But the way it managed to use all the weight of the things you experienced through this adventure and use that amazing shot of all the people that had an impact in your journey was magical. It didn´t matter if the relationships with some of them didn´t end well but they impacted the journey in a positive way, and that kind of nostalgia can only be achieved in a cutscene if it uses, like I mentioned, the weight of all those hours playing that game. That my friends, is masterful.
    Maybe it was the music or the nostalgia that swallowed me whole in that moment or seeing Edward smile as he sees his daughter, but that cutscene in general hit me pretty bad, in a good way because I wasn´t expecting something that heavy!
    In conclusion this game, while suffering from some technical issues, is amazing. It stands out in some many ways not previously explored by some AC games and it totally achieves greatness. This game deserves one special spot on your shelve. I am giving it an astounding 9 out of 10!

Be sure to check my blog where I post reviews like this one: http://thechannelofawesome.blogspot.mx/
  92. Apr 9, 2014
    I first played the first assasin's creed and never really got in to it. I found the game and story uninteresting. I took a chance on ACIV when I bought my PS4 and I'm very pleased that I did. I have been playing this on and off for around 5 months now and I still enjoy it, even without touching multiplayer. This is a great game with an engaging storyline and tons of side activities to do.
  93. Mar 31, 2014
    I am a fan of the AC series but Black Flag has left me questioning if I want to continue following. The playable map is just so.... massive, and not in a good way. In AC3 I had a solid feel for the Northeastern United States map but Black Flag just offers too much for me to simply wrap my head around. I also find the sea travel to be quite tedious. Crossing over the seas to follow alongI am a fan of the AC series but Black Flag has left me questioning if I want to continue following. The playable map is just so.... massive, and not in a good way. In AC3 I had a solid feel for the Northeastern United States map but Black Flag just offers too much for me to simply wrap my head around. I also find the sea travel to be quite tedious. Crossing over the seas to follow along with the main story really started to become a chore. The transition from boat to land (areas without docking stations) was also a time consuming headache. The only thing I really looked forward to were my interactions with James Kidd. Now with news of two more AC this year alone I feel as if this game has become too much for me. It would be more enticing if it was the only game I played but being on limited time with my PS4 and wanting to play other games I think AC has became too epic on a scale for myself and similar gamers. Expand
  94. Mar 30, 2014
    First of all, this game looks fantastic. The controls, plot-line, and cut scenes are all pretty awkward, and the story is classic assassin's creed bad. But we're all really playing it for the take downs and exploration, of which are are plenty. If you've already got a ps4, I'd recommend this one, otherwise, wait til its less than $50.
  95. Mar 26, 2014
    Gameplay is much more fluid compared to AC3. Graphics are good, but not best for next gen. The world is very large and there's much to discover. The missions are sometimes a bit repetitive but overall fun. 8 out of 10
  96. Mar 24, 2014
    A serious return to form for Assassin's Creed. Black Flag brings a reptitive franchise back to life with a fresh, rewarding and stylish outing. If like me previous chapters have left you disappointed, then i'm glad to tell you this is an impressive redemption. Black Flag takes you to the high sea's with Captain Edward Kenway. Who is a far better, interesting and stronger character thanA serious return to form for Assassin's Creed. Black Flag brings a reptitive franchise back to life with a fresh, rewarding and stylish outing. If like me previous chapters have left you disappointed, then i'm glad to tell you this is an impressive redemption. Black Flag takes you to the high sea's with Captain Edward Kenway. Who is a far better, interesting and stronger character than Conor from Assassin's Creed III. Set in the early 18th century Caribbean during the Golden Age of Piracy and follows the notorious Kenway, grandfather of Conor, who becomes embroiled in conflict waged between the Assassin's and Templars. Gameplay has never been an issue. It's the fact it's become so repetitive and dull and thankfully the introduction of ship based exploring that's all changed. Allowing you to sail is a great addition to the franchise. You already know what your getting from the combat, melee system so there's no change. The setting makes the difference. I've never been a huge fan of Assassin's Creed multiplayer. There is a slight improvement but I still think they need to vastly better it if they hope to compete with the best online. It simply doesn't have that addictive factor that other games do and whilst it is playable, I wouldn't say it's the franchises selling point and certainly isn't as enjoyable as it could or should be in comparison to the single player campaign. All in all, Black Flag is a triumphant return to form for what seemed to be a franchise verging on going stale. The addition of sea exploration is exactly the fresh invigoration the series needed. Expand
  97. Mar 23, 2014
    Much improved gameplay since AC3 and is very nice looking. Whether you like this game will come down to one thing.... do you like going around for hours on end in a boat. I do not so therefore found this installment boring but lots of mates enjoyed the boating part so it really comes down to that. I just hope that i never see a boat in assassins creed ever again
  98. Mar 20, 2014
    This game is repetitive and boring. Having to sail hours of your life away is by no means fun. AC2 remains the only game I have enjoyed to the end in this series.
  99. Mar 20, 2014
    This is easily my favorite Assassin's Creed game. After the shockingly massive disappointment of Assassin's Creed III, I was worried that a pirate themed Assassin's Creed was going to relive the past disappointment. While still having some of the mind-numbingly repetitive task types of the entire series, this game is beautiful and fun to play.
  100. Mar 20, 2014
    Having played all of the Assassin's Creed games, I can certainly say this does not disappoint. However, I really miss the ability to upgrade parts of my armor separately; that would have fit this game excellently.
  101. Dec 7, 2013
    Assassins Creed IV is developed for current generations of console, so dont expect to see a life like graphics, its just expanded for Next Gen console.
    ACIV does a good job in forming an open world game, wonderful world and nice to explore the environments and it does feel different other than other AC series, gameplays is awesome....although some parts are little boring due to the lack of detail in story or being too cliché at times. but overall gameplay is really fun.
    in terms of graphics it does look better on PS4, firstly that it runs on native 1080p, its a solid 30FPS, better texture work, nice plantation also in terms of physics they are much better, a more wonderful sea, better rain effects, improved perspectives and finally a really nice Rain effect and more smoke effects are some of the next gen improvements.
    if you are thinking should you pick up this for your PS3 or PS4 i would say it is a really good choice to pick it up fro ps4 and you will not be disappointed.

1. Apr 20, 2014
    The PlayStation 4 version of the game is mechanically the same as the PlayStation 3 version, but the new engine is eye-poppingly awesome.
  2. Ubisoft significantly improved the multiplayer side of things. Also, story takes you places.
  3. Jan 4, 2014
    It’s difficult to imagine Assassin’s Creed ever leaving the sea behind.