7.8

1. Nov 15, 2013
    much much improved than last year's edition,the vast open world and lush islands are marvels to watch upon and experience.Ubisoft should win next gen with its open world game imo
  2. Dec 21, 2013
    This game is disguised under an epic illusion. It seems the map is very big, but where most elements repeat.
    Too many repetitive side missions. And the main missions are very repetitive as well. In addition, the environment is very repetitive. Anyway, every thing is repetitive, making the game fatiguing.
    I remembered AC II was so enjoyable, while You never expect an experience as
    assassin in AC IV. This franchise has lost the soul of assassin. The only left is a coat. When I was playing the game, I always ask myself: why I have to wear like an assassin?
    The pirate part is not bad for me, but I am soon bored with flat sea face, and you will soon be bored with The naval battle under same pattern.
    This is a game, lack of soul, full of repetitive mechanism and will be forgotten soon.
    Never compare AC IV even with GTA V which is still 10 times better than AC IV in quality.
    IMO, The AC III and IV shouldn't be in Assassin's Creed franchise.
  3. Nov 18, 2013
    Let me first say that I'm a huge fan of the Assassin's Creed franchise and have no problem with annual releases. That being said, this may be my favorite in the series yet! Ezio from AC2 is an incredible character, but our new assassin Edward is equally impressive and a joy to play with. Never has the world felt so alive and rich with things to see and do. Travelling around the open seas in sunny weather with the wind at your back, or battling the raging waves in a storm while engaged in a heart pounding navel battle in your ship never gets old.

The stealth and melee gameplay is as tight as ever, but my only minor complaint is I wish Ubisoft would have gave our assassin the ability to duck at will. There are plenty of character and ship upgrades to keep you looking for resources through most of the game (think Farcry 3), a cool mini game where you send your fleet out to trade resources, underwater exploration, and tons of side quests.

The PS4 version looks beautiful! While not a true next-gen title there are lots of added effects for your eyes to enjoy. Weather and lighting are much improved, foliage is more dense and reacts to wind more realistic, improved framerate and draw distance, and many other subtle things to improve an already amazing looking game. So do yourself a favor if you enjoy action and adventure, pirate and assassin's, go out and buy this game now! If you don't like the Assassin's Creed series then you may want to rent it first, but there's a chance you may end up enjoying it.
  4. Nov 17, 2013
    This game looks absolutely amazing and excels with the sheer sense of scope. Giving this a 10 to counter some of the frankly absurd 0s that I have been seeing. To rate this a 0 takes a troll of the highest caliber and likely someone who has never actually played the game. If you do not like this game fine, but to say its not a well crafted and enjoyable game seems bizarre to me. My favorite setting of all Assassin's creed games hands down. They have captured the Caribbean in a way that I wouldn't have thought possible and the share feature of the PS4 has been put to great use with one stunning vista after another. Expand
  5. Jan 11, 2014
    What an amazing games the graphics and gameplay was unique. Although poorly placed checkpoints and a glitch where you can't quit contracts made me unable to play the story line...... I played it 2 times first time i got bored then restarted but then i accepted contract and could not do story line there was no way to cancel contract so i quit.. Sadly most of the best games are not here yet....

Maki
  6. Nov 14, 2013
    Some great moments, but still not better than AC2. Maybe if they will release next AC, they will have some other issues resolved. I Have no idea, why Ubisoft put Prince of Persia to grave :(
    AC is weak copy.
  7. CNS
    Nov 15, 2013
    This game is amazing. it took everything i loved about AC2 and AC3 and combined it into a very good game. the side missions and collectibles will make you spend hours with this game, especially if you want those trophies.
  8. Nov 17, 2013
    This game is the best assassins creed game to date. Very addictive. Awesome story and great gameplay. Graphics look superb on ps4. This is my favorite game this year so far for any system.
  9. Nov 22, 2013
    If you had mixed feeling about AC3 this game will make up for all of that as it is consistent and had fun and challenging missions. Out of the gate AC4 opens with a bang and that bang is consistently felt all through the game
  10. Nov 25, 2013
    As a big fan of the AC series and a huge supporter of AC3 I can say I'm massively disappointed in AC4. Nothing has improved since AC3 and worse yet things actually degraded. Let's start with simple water graphics. They went from beautiful and realistic last-gen to looking like, well, AIR in the current gen. Swimming will give you the impression you're flying. It's embarrassing. Also, fighting did not improve at all. It's still basically a turn-based system where multiple opponents will wait for you to finish with the current opponent. The biggest step back is the ship fighting. AC3 made ship fighting a blast with sailors yelling and cannons booming. AC4, however, makes ship fighting a quiet and boring affair that will make you want to pop the AC3 disk back in. Me sad. Expand
  11. Nov 19, 2013
    The most fun I've had with a game in a long time. The story isn't the most strong in the series, but there's so much fun content here that the story is almost the side show. I rarely write my impressions on a game, but I just absolutely had to share how impressed I am with this one.
    Black Flag's naval combat is stellar. You've got so many options on how to raid, board and decimate enemy
    ships that it doesnt get boring. Great stealth sections, lots of choice on how to tackle missions, optional outer animus sections, great voice acting and even better music, this is the definitive AC experience; and when playing on ps4 it's even more easy to appreciate the amount of work that has gone into the graphics. Expand
  12. Jan 3, 2014
    It's difficult to describe this game, if you look at it from the pirate aspect then no doubt you can see why this game is fun but when you look at it from the Assassin's Creed aspect, then this game is just a downright train-wreck, Where is the stealth? Why has this franchise suddenly become obsessed with pirates? Not to mention the poorly written storyline that they scribbled together for this game, I personally think Ubisoft is just desperately trying to make this franchise all that and more and they are failing at it, but then again I gave it a 3 because when you play this game and forget the other Assassin's Creed games and their plots, then yes the game can be some-what enjoyable but to all the die-hard Assassin's Creed fans, like myself, I strongly recommend that you DON'T buy this game, it has become clear Assassin's Creed is turning into Call of Duty, expect another similar or below-average sequel next year from Ubisoft for the same 60 dollars you keep wishing you had back............ Expand
  13. Jan 30, 2014
    After AC3 i had really low expectations for this game but as it turns out the gameplay is actually pretty damn solid!
    But as in AC3 the story is terrible! especially outside the animus!
  14. Nov 27, 2013
    Though the story may not be as epic Assassins Creed 4 has very very good game play and still a strong story to completely immerse you in its beautiful environment
  15. Feb 9, 2014
    Its fun, for a little bit. And then it gets boring. That is how I see AC4. The story missions barely have any actions. 70% of the time its tailing and eavesdropping, with some scripted chase missions thrown in. The combat is way too easy. But it does have a great world. You can hunt animals, do assassination missions, upgrade you're ship, blow up forts, the list goes on. I just want a more engaging narrative from the next Assassin's Creed, because this one isn't so great. Expand
  16. Mar 19, 2014
    Brilliant game and brilliant story.

Once again main criticism is around the trophies as a number are unachievable as I don't know many people with PS4 and none of them have Black Flag.
  17. Dec 7, 2013
    I some how manage to always play the yearly iteration of Assassins Creed games (gifts, bargain bin, borrow from friends etc.) and never find myself particular impressed by them solid 7/10 experiences.

Black Flag, however, is not only an amazing AC game, it's an amazing game in general and strong contender for game of the year. One of the best open-world games I've played and simply a
    fantastic Pirate game.

I bought GTA5 and Black Flag at the same time and have been playing Black Flag exclusively. So far, my top games of the year are Last of Us and Black Flag. It even feels odd putting an Assassins Creed game in my top games of the year, but it really is a fantastic game all the gameplay mechanics are improved, the story is far more cohesive, and the world is vast and beautiful. Sure, your still doing a lot of the same tasks and side missions, but they somehow aren't drudge-fest like previous games due to the minor gameplay tightening. Even fighting carries the risk of dying this time around (if you don't upgrade your health).
  18. Mar 13, 2014
    I'm new and I know nothing of Assassin's Creed. My take:

The game mostly assume's you are familiar with the AC games, you will find yourself wondering about the modern day desk job cutscene and sometimes wondering where to go and what to do. The sync thing isn't explained (where the map reveals itself slowly) among other things. So expect to wonder about things and how things work the
    first few hours of the game. I asked a friend to fill me in a bit and that helped.

Basically its a pirate world with things to collect and things to kill. Not much else.

The world is pretty but everything feels static. Nothing is really interactive. Its nice to have a colorful vibrant world but for me it didnt seem real or immersive. Mainly because I felt like I was a superhero running around in the city filled with automatons who did basically nothing. Nobody moves or acts like you so it makes the whole thing seem fake. It's hard to explain.

Its fun at times but more often that not I got bored. If you love collecting things and killing things then this game is pretty good (or if you love pirates). Personally I found the enemiespeople rather stupid and easy to "assassinate". Basically walk right up to them and click the "assassinate" button and your done. Rinse, repeat. There's the occasion where you chase after some normal person who hops around roofs better than you do and also another side activity like waiting patiently to pounce upon or chase some flying musical note.

The storyline and stealth game play leave much to be desired. Its absurd but I can see it being fun for some people, maybe just not for me.
  19. Dec 14, 2013
    I've tried every Assassin's Creed game, and generally walk away very disappointed by the poor mission structures and repetitiveness of what's asked of you. I've never been able to push myself to finish a single one.
    That said, this game is a real love/hate for me. I hate most of the campaign missions, where you sneak along behind someone to listen to their conversation, or chase someone
    through the game's glitchy and often infuriating "parkour" system. But I love the high seas bits. The sea shanties sung by your crew, the intense battles, the feeling of wanderlust. I wish this amazing pirate adventure wasn't stapled to yet another boring Assassin's Creed game. I had a lot of fun with this game, but didn't get past the fourth or so campaign mission before trading it in. Expand
  20. Nov 25, 2013
    This game is absolutely amazing. I would HIGHLY recommend it to anyone who likes open world games. It looks incredible on the PS4 and plays great. I had so much fun hunting down all the treasures and playing the side missions and assassination contracts! The companion app is a lot of fun as well and a great way to earn extra in-game money. The multi-player is a lot of fun and requires strategy and planning but is fairly easy to pick up and learn only after a few hours of online play. Hope this helps! Expand
  21. Nov 28, 2013
    Possibly the greatest singleplayer game that I've played in a VERY long time. I've been a PC gamer for quite a while, and bought into the PS4 hype. Although, this game does look very pretty on the PS4 considering the low specs.

This is my first Assassin's Creed game, and probably NOT my last!
  22. Dec 1, 2013
    I Really enjoyed AC4. Its not a perfect game but it grabs your attention and doesnt let go. For a next gen game it looks georgous. Draw distance and the level of detail on such a large map really shows the developers dedication. The contols are still an issue but its a fun ride so stop reading this review and go grab yourself a copy!
  23. Nov 28, 2013
    AC IV is definitely an improvement from ACIII. ACIII was terrible! I care about Edward and I love the fact that he's not dull. I don't care much for the story, but I love the gameplay, the gameplay definitely makes that up for me. Battling other ships is amazing! I didn't think I would care for it, but I'm glad I was wrong. Guess what? There's actually STEALTH! There was no stealth whatsoever in ACIII and I'm glad that Ubisoft was smart enough to put it back in you'll really need it in this game. You're not a killing machine compared to Conner you're an actual ASSASSIN. Now the cons to the game are regenerating health and, again, only one button for free running. I hate regenerating health. I hate having to run away from battle just regain my health back, I prefer to have potions so I can heal right then and there. Free running.....I still don't like the one button, but since this game is nowhere near as buggy as ACIII I can tolerate it. Thank you Ubisoft for fixing most of the problems. Expand
  24. Nov 26, 2013
    This is the best AC game. Sailing in the Jackdaw and attacking other ships is AMAZING! It really helps to break up some of the monotonous/annoying AC gameplay like stalking/following/eavesdropping. Combat is awesome. Plus this game is absolutely beautiful. I wish this was a new IP though. I don't know how they can top this while keeping in the AC universe.
  25. Dec 17, 2013
    Let me start by saying I've never really been a huge fan of the Assassin's Creed series mainly because the repetition I have experienced. You always know what to expect from an Assassin's Creed game. You will hide, vanish, assassinate, wash, rinse, repeat. I purchased this game because there were limited options of games I wanted for the Playstation 4. With that said, I've really enjoyed this game. It really taps into the power of the Playstation 4 and shows it well. The graphics are extremely impressive! Whether it be in a settlement or a deserted island, it appears to be very realistic in many different ways. The way the water moves, storms that you can get caught in, weather changes, it's all very surreal to watch. The combat system is basically the same as the previous version, it works very well. I highly recommend this to any Assassin's Creed fan or if you're looking to play an open world game that shows off the power of the PS4. Expand
  26. Nov 16, 2013
    Ubisoft has made some vast improvements over their assassins creed franchise this go round. Not only in the graphics(which are obviously the best on the next gen consoles and gorgeously so.) but in almost everything involving the presentation of the story/gameplay. From the start of the game you jump right into action and almost immediately are allowed to go wherever you want. The action is free flowing as all the other ACs and combat feels responsive but has some clunks with bad parrys.

I'm not gonna lie I hated AC3. I couldn't get sucked into it I feel like the story was way too far out there. the first few hours of it were so tedious and running around in the giant woods felt more like a task than a great adventure. Having the Caribbean as your playground was the best decision they could've made. The islands themselves are small making doing the various tasks on them less daunting, but being able to sail yourself from island to island gives the sandbox feel a hugely realistic sense to it.

I really love the protagonist in black flag as well, really fits the description of what a real pirate is and not what you'd read in peter pan. The abstergo/animus angle has been really well done also. No longer are you pulled obnoxiously out of the immersed world you're trying to assassinate to go run around in the "present day" and do some sci-fi stuff. I always thought it was a cool idea that you're not really in the past but controlling an avitar of sorts but was never really produced well. It's not really a spoiler since you learn it in the first 5 minutes of the game but Abstergo is now an entertainment corporation and you are part of a research team to test a new IP that they are trying to create using the animus machine. Abstergo goes on to say that they are the reason behind the assassins creed games and even tie into liberation right off the bat. It feels great but you can definitely get the jist that something might be up with them.

Anyway, don't let the haters who couldn't afford new consoles or got ones that didn't work so their taking their rage out on the internet deter you. this game is definitely worth a play through even if you absolutely hated assassins creed 3(i know i did!)
  27. Feb 28, 2014
    I am a big fan of Assassin's Creed franchise: Assassin's Creed - awesome game,which everyone needs to play! Assassin's Creed 2 - even better,with better graphics,story(and subtitles) Brotherhood - great atmosphere and story,awesome as 2 Revelations - not so good as the others,but still it is awesome III - this is the biggest disappointment from Ubisoft I've ever saw - the story was boring most of the time,the characters weren't so good, the atmosphere was bad,only the combat system,the bigger world and the better graphics were good elements.
    IV - after III I was expecting a great game,because the Caribbean setting was good choice, and OMG - it is awesome like nothing before! Awesome graphics,awesome story,gigantic world to explore,smarter AI and many many other awesome things. After I saw the trailers and GamePlay videos,I was having great expectations. They weren't met - they were blown away from this awesome game. This is something,that you can't give less than 10/10!
  28. Nov 26, 2013
    Assassin's Creed 4: 90% pirate, 10% assassin. To see a summary of this review scroll to the end.

Ubisoft went ahead and did the obvious. They took, the best part of Assassin's Creed 3, really the only really good part, and made a game out of it. Literally, they retrofitted the game engine used in the previous title into this a new game, while barely adding or changing anything. This
    whole game felt like an AC 3.1, rather than a new title.. which, I wouldn't have had a problem with, if they would have fixed the problems that plagued AC3, or actually gave us a good, satisfying story, like AC2, but they didn't.

Assassin's Creed wasn't particularly good when it came to game mechanics, AC1 and 2 were kind of bad actually, instead, it was built by it's amazing storytelling, beautiful setting, and wonderful soundtrack. I still listen to Ezio's Family by Jesper Kyd from AC2. That song brings back a kind of emotions that I rarely feel with games. AC4, however delivers only one of these, the setting. I'm going to start by criticizing the story itself. It's terrible. First off, it has nothing to do with Assassins, they barely make a cameo appearance, both inside and outside the Animus. The whole game revolves around pirates, and that wouldn't be a problem, if it was a good story. And it starts out good, but then it gets riddled with plot holes, poor writing, scenes that don't make sense, and although they stayed away from the obvious parrot cliches, they added a bunch of them story-wise. The story does make a few twists, but most of them you'll see coming a mily away, and most of them don't make sense. There is no main enemy in the game, and most of the things that happen in the game make no sense. And if you were expecting a great ending.. don't.. it is terrible. The only plot-twist you won't see coming in this game is the ending.. they drop it on you out of nowhere, just when you were expecting the game would truly begin, and then they hit you in the face with a poorly done cutscene, and leave you confused.

Here's a tip, dear Ubisoft. A story, every story, follows 5 basic steps, not necessarily in this order: Exposition, Rising Action, Progression, Climax, Ending. The 4th is completely missing, and the fifth leaves you confused, when it should leave you satisfied.

Then there are the actual missions in the story. Boring, repetitive and most of them don't make sense. All you do is follow this guy, eavesdrop on that guy. And on rare occasions you kill someone. Missions involving ships can be interesting, but at times they are the same boring "follow that ship" nonsense. In comparison with GTA 5, or Red Dead Redemption, where every mission was unique and intriguing, here they are boring, unimaginative and repetitive. The same goes for side missions. Assassinations, Naval Missions and Templar Hunts. All of them are basically the same. If you did one then you did all, there's no point in continuing. You play through it once, but you won't want to play through it a second time.

What saves the game is the beautiful and huge open world game, the side activities(not missions) and the naval combat. The setting is really amazing, although some fans of the series will find it irritating that you won't visit cities that much, only a couple times, and they are small with not a lot of things to do, the setting just didn't allow for that. Most of the time you will do what the game is all about: pirating. Naval combat is really fun, and it's been expanded upon a lot.: you can board ships, capture them, steal their cargo and send them to your fleet, you can attack naval forts and capture them. You can use those resources to upgrade your ship and so on. There are also underwater places you can explore, but there are limited, and in comparison with GTAV, where there was an entire open-world you could explore, here there are only ten locations, but it still looks great, and avoiding sharks and medusas is great fun. You can also raid plantations, which are a ton of fun... basically the side activities are really great, and make this game enjoyable, even though the story brings it down.

In summary, it looks like this game was made just so Ubisoft can make more money off of the ship mechanics in AC3. Combat and land based mechanics are basically the same as the previous game, although they did need changing and improving. The game engine is the same as it was in the third title, with very little improvement, or change, when it, again needed it. And all of this would not be a problem if the game offered a good story, but it doesn't. The story seems like an excuse to sell an adapted version of AC3, and the story is driven by the game mechanics, and not vice versa. Luckily the beautiful setting, graphics and excellent pirate game save the game and prop up the rating to a 6/10. You can't help but feel, if they only spent a little bit more time, and wouldn't pump out a game every year, it could've been an amazing game.
  29. Dec 12, 2013
    This is the most fun I've had playing an Assassin's Creed game, but like the other titles, the absurd and heavy-handed narrative get's in the way of all the fun. The combat is mindless and boring, and the occasional dramatic woosh & slow-motion finishing move is a needless distraction to the obscene unilateral violence I'm dolling out. The story missions are tedious, the difficulty birthed out of attempts to navigate the somewhat wonky free-running and stealth mechanics (both feel terribly outdated).

But naval battles are fun! An upgradeable ship with scaling boarding mechanics really steals the show, but doesn't feel fleshed out enough as 'black flag' sounds like a game that would focus on naval combat Your ship occupies a moderate category not too big, not too small going up against various size ships, but after your begin to upgrade, your small ship feels invincible boarding becomes an annoying array of strategies to blow up barrels, kill officers, cut down flags, and massacre an arbitrary number of red-shirt-like crew members. It feels like an afterthought, and I would've liked more flexibility in ship size and firepower, allowing players to play dart like schooners against man o' wars. Sure it doesn't really fit the whole 'playing through history' idea the series has been based on, but to be fair: the restrictions of playing through history are conveniently employed: mostly for blocking players out of areas so they'll progress the story.

Although the world is big, large islands rarely have more than a sand bar or two to explore for collectables, all are surrounded by a homogenous cliff- with-jungle texture.

I did enjoy myself but AC has begun to feel stale on delivery. Combat is too simple, story is garbage grandiose pseudo-religious futurist schmaltz, open-world if open-world is long pretty stretches of road between prefab cities. It loses in the details and that's the only reason I love big company productions like these details afforded by huge sums of money and large development teams.
  30. Nov 27, 2013
    This is the new installment in the AC franchise, and it definitely lived up to its hype. The open-world feel to it is stunning, and it's fun even to just sail around and explore different islands. You'll never be bored, since it's packed with so much to do, such as finding buried treasure, harpooning whales/sharks, going diving, completing assassination contracts, and much much more. Visually, the game is amazing. It's definitely a step-up from AC3, and the open-worldness adds to a sense of excitement to even just get out there and see what you can do. The sailing has definitely been improved from AC3, and it can be very fun to do. On the other hand, the game falls victim to previous games' level scenarios, such as tailing people and eavesdropping on conversations. Even though sailing can be fun, it can also get tedious, especially considering how massive the map is. Thank God for fast-traveling, though. The game is often at its best when you're on land, which isn't exactly what the developers were going for when they had an idea for an open-world pirate game where you can sail the seas. Overall, a very good game, and definitely worth a purchase. Expand
  31. Jan 17, 2014
    As an assassin's game it fails but as a pirate game is where it shines. The game has many many flaws that can make the game frustrating and annoying which makes me sad to see since most of these flaws are from prior assassin's games and you would expect them to fix that or make it better. Things like your character constantly doing what you don't want it to do. Fighting onboard a ship is pretty terrible since there are a lot of enemies and targeting sucks so you'll be hitting different people that you don't want to hit or worse, something you'll character will be out of combat when enemies are nearby so when you press circle to counter you'll actually put away your swords and get hit. The story is pretty terrible and it's sad to see how instead of the developers fixing what the game was about and improving being an assassin they instead just add something else to it to attract people and hope they ignore all the flaws it has when your doing your assassin thing.
    Essentally this is AC 3.2. Everything from AC3 is in this but with a few new stuff like diving and hunting sea animals and it greatly improves on the sailing part and what you can do with your ship. As a long fan of the AC series it pain me to see how the developers passion for the game is gone, as you can see from the bad story, and all they care about is making money. It's also evident when you play the game and hint at future installments they may make to further milk the franchise.
    Other than all negative I put the pirate side like I said is fun. You can upgrade your ship and ship battles are fun. There are also legendary ships you can tackle but unfortunately you get nothing good out of them other than bragging rights. I wish they would've just made this a stand alone pirate game and made a separate Assassin's creed game that's actually good than we would've gone two great games and the company would've made lost of money since there is a lot of potential when your acting as a pirate.
    Overall if you want a game that gives you plenty to do than this game might be for you if your into pirates. If you want a good story that continues the series then you'll be disapointed if you pick up this game.
  32. Nov 19, 2013
    First off the graphics on next gen PS4 are beautiful, amazing, and unlike anything I've ever seen before. Also much better improvements with the mechanics like combat, running, climbing, and everyone's most likely favorite sailing across the Carribean seas. There is so many islands and cities and places to explore it's why I love ac4. The new character Edward is a great new character right from the beggining you start to like him. I also think La Habana, Cuba is absolutely gorgeous. Amazing graphics. A pure next gen console game.

And one more thing the new MP is great, a lot of fun and new awesome modes for all sorts of competition
  33. Apr 26, 2014
    While AC4 is certainly an improvement on AC3, and I loved the naval battles and the deep sea diving sections, the game's cities lack that grand scope that the 1st and 2nd had. Furthermore, the lack of a wanted level in the town's makes my random acts of violence go without consequence.

Although this game does repair many of the bugs from AC3, I still found plenty of little problems,
    some of which kicked me out of the game. None of the sequences stood out to me as any real amount of fun, except for the templar hunts. It's too bad that these were side missions rather than what the game focused on. As much as I enjoyed sailing and pirating, getting all the collectibles across all those uncharted islands is such a chore. Some of the other smaller locales don't even have guards or anything to make them interesting. They look all the same as well. A few design choices seemed a little clueless as well. I'm sorry, but Florida does not have peaks and cliffs.

The game was good, and there's certainly a sense of adventure, but it feels too much like a chore to sail around. Good thing there's fast travel. I like the frontier areas and running through trees, but there is too much, and the cities themselves never impressed me, and there was no reason to walk around and see all of the city. I much prefer the city and environments of the 1st and 2nd installment that seemed so grandiose.
  34. Nov 25, 2013
    I have been a long-time fan of the Assassin's Creed series. Black Flag does not disappoint. What I look for in a game is how long I can play it until it gets old. I'm over 20 hours in, haven't beaten it, and am still having a blast. The only downside is tailing and eavesdropping missions, and even those include the new style of stealth Ubisoft has incorporated into the game. I love the stealth system in Dishonored and Farcry 3, and Assassin's Creed IV comes close to the same level of quality. Now for the rest of the game. You will find yourself swinging from ropes and boarding ships with explosions around you, dual swords in hand, slicing up British to your heart's content. The combat has been made noticeably smoother and the same with the naval combat. There is so very little wrong with this game; it amazes me how critics take those small errors and take 20 points off of a game's score. Expand
  35. Nov 28, 2013
    I have typically been a fan of all Assassin's Creed Games, and this installment did not fail to live up to standards. This game had a surprisingly difficult naval warfare system, which was extra rewarding as you plundered an enemy ship. Sadly though, as it was difficult, there were some moments where the mechanic became so difficult I had to get off the game for a while because of how frustrated I got. Nonetheless, It was enjoyable for it's rewarding loot and weapon upgrades. As the game was very fun, I would not like to see Naval Warfare, Hunting, or guns in Assassin's Creeds in the future. They need to go back to Assassins like Altair and Ezio, in my opinion.
    Pros:
    Living to expectations
    Interesting and Intense Story line
    Surprisingly Difficult Naval warfare, unlike the last installment
    Cons:
    Frustrating Naval Warfare
    Same, counter-revolved combat system
  36. Dec 2, 2013
    The mixed reviews belie a very impressive game. It's open world is among the very best out there and the shear volume of side quests will keep you busy for months. Definitely worth picking up...
  37. Dec 17, 2013
    Nearly perfect, one of the funnest AC's yet! Definitely worth looking into. It sure has felt like an up and down roller coaster ride with these games, but this one hit a high note. Well made and super fun to play!
  38. Dec 30, 2013
    Great game. Specifically seeing how to does strain away from the series quite a bit. Though the story sometimes left me confused and outside the animus game play seemed unappealing to me. The ship combat systems is very rewarding and enjoyable. Hunting is not as tedious as in assassins creed 3.
  39. Jan 22, 2014
    Never liked assassins creed untill now, thought I would get it so I had something else to play with my PS4.
    Never new I could have so much fun in a multiplayer match, Thats all I enjoyed from this game, the multiplayer. The story was ok but some of the mission got boring, everyone should try this out if not for the story then the multiplayer
  40. Jan 11, 2014
    Definitely better than AC3 but still has some similar issues of redundancy and too much open world resulting in a lot of empty space. Fast Travel, as was the case with the previous game, is a Godsend because I could not possibly imagine having to sail 10,000m back and forth between destinations. The story is almost an afterthought for me. Probably 9 of the first 10 hours that I spent playing this game were spent doing side missions; capturing ships, synchronizing viewpoints, taking down Naval Forts etc. with minimal time being put into progressing the story. The fact that the game is not linear is definitely a plus, here. You can literally spend hours enjoying quests on the side and not have to advance the storyline. This adds tremendous replay value without even factoring in the multiplayer element.

I usually play this game in 2 hour increments just to keep the gameplay elements fresh. If you're a marathon player that can sit in front of a TV for hours and hours on end then this game might bore you because it's a lot of the same things being done over and over again with slightly progressing difficulty. However it's one of those games where you will get out of it only as much effort as you put into it. If you spend time upgrading your ship and finding treasure chests for some extra gold, you'll find the boundaries of this game to be almost limitless. Overall Black Flag is a hit in my book, definitely better than last year's version.
  41. Feb 2, 2014
    I would like to first point out that the graphics of Assassin's Creed IV for the PS4 is mediocre. My first edition PS3 has about the same graphics. Now I know that these starter games do not incorporate the whole visual display I expected some improvement. The campaign is somewhat lengthy like all AC games but the multiplayer experience has been degraded. The locking mechanism is awful, the game servers are useless, and the gaming mechanics went downhill. Aside from the story in campaign mode this new Assassin's Creed has been a huge disappointment. Expand
  42. Feb 9, 2014
    PS4 version of Assassins Creed Black Flag.
    Graphics are PS3 quality for a start they are decent but still PS3 standard and this is the PS4 version.
    I really wanted to like this game but after the first hour or so I just found it so repetitive that it was a choir to play.
    I haven't played an Assassins Creed game since the first one and other than the step in graphics there was nothing
    new which really disappointed me.

Poor game for the PS4.
  43. Mar 26, 2014
    Gameplay is much more fluid compared to AC3. Graphics are good, but not best for next gen. The world is very large and there's much to discover. The missions are sometimes a bit repetitive but overall fun. 8 out of 10
  44. Jul 17, 2014
    The same good typical Assassin's Creed but in new setting with great addition of new game play on the see! Good combat mechanics with reasonable stealth! One of the best game of the 2013, and is going to a contender for the Game of the year!
  45. Apr 22, 2014
    Excellent game that is beautiful and very fun to play. The naval combat gameplay is phenomenal, including its iOS app. The attention to detail is staggering and this is why I can't recommend this game enough.
  46. Mar 9, 2014
    Finally Asssassin's Creed releases a good game. Since the last game from the series that I actually enjoyed was Brotherhood, I was beginning to be a little depressed when it comes to Assassin's Creed. However, they managed to fix that with Black Flag.

The graphics are outstanding, the story is solid, and the gameplay is fresh and interesting. I was not expecting such a big change from
    them, and it was a pleasant surprise. I'm actually looking forward for the next game now. Expand
  47. Jan 23, 2014
    Es un buen juego con respecto a assassins creed 3, pero como el 3, tiene bugs. todavia no es posbile realizar los "eventos" para el trofeo y al parecer ubisoft se olvido de esto.
  48. Dec 9, 2013
    An absolute blast to play, but you'll have to decide how to split your time between playing Assassins Creed on land, and playing pirate at sea. I seem to wind up spending a lot of time at sea just messing around. But you wind up switching back and forth enough that things take a lot longer to get stale.
  49. Feb 17, 2014
    Fun pirate simulator, not so great Assassins Creed game.

Being a pirate in this game was a ton of fun, and if thats what the game was supposed to focus on, then this would easily be a 9 and not a 7. But the actual AC story in it was just awful compared to previous games. Edward isnt really an assassin and is about the worst protagonist in any of the games in that light. As a pirate, he
    works great. The story progression of AC as a franchise also stalled out a bit in this game and not much was added. Also, more of the same; this makes the 3rd AC game in 2 years set in the colonial North American setting and its getting old now.

I hope to see the next AC do something new in regards to setting and period and I hope to see a true entry in the AC franchise story-wise.
  50. Sep 1, 2014
    Epic. From the lush graphics, the fluid gameplay right down to the absorbing soundtrack. The game massive and littered with a million things to do. The characters are actually interesting and leaves you wanting to know more about them. The main protagonist is a breath of fresh air compared to previous efforts. The only downside is that in many ways it doesn't feel like an AC game. Indeed it didn't have to be. There was no need for the modern setting to even be in this game. I fear Ubisoft were worried if it didn't carry the name it might not have sold as well. I think the next incarnation of AC will go back to the more traditional style which is a shame....it does however leave some scope for a future pirate style game which I would fully embrace. Expand
  51. Aug 22, 2014
    Excellent game...had the free roam option so you can sail around and do as you please or follow story line.was not to short and had a decent story line....
  52. May 9, 2014
    pirate part of the game=good, but from the assassins creed franchise viewpoint its poor. every mission was pretty much the same (follow this guy, follow that guy.... oh now earsdrop on the conversation...kill. then it restarts) i havnt even finished it and im bored out of my **** mind
  53. Mar 24, 2014
    A serious return to form for Assassin's Creed. Black Flag brings a reptitive franchise back to life with a fresh, rewarding and stylish outing. If like me previous chapters have left you disappointed, then i'm glad to tell you this is an impressive redemption. Black Flag takes you to the high sea's with Captain Edward Kenway. Who is a far better, interesting and stronger character than Conor from Assassin's Creed III. Set in the early 18th century Caribbean during the Golden Age of Piracy and follows the notorious Kenway, grandfather of Conor, who becomes embroiled in conflict waged between the Assassin's and Templars. Gameplay has never been an issue. It's the fact it's become so repetitive and dull and thankfully the introduction of ship based exploring that's all changed. Allowing you to sail is a great addition to the franchise. You already know what your getting from the combat, melee system so there's no change. The setting makes the difference. I've never been a huge fan of Assassin's Creed multiplayer. There is a slight improvement but I still think they need to vastly better it if they hope to compete with the best online. It simply doesn't have that addictive factor that other games do and whilst it is playable, I wouldn't say it's the franchises selling point and certainly isn't as enjoyable as it could or should be in comparison to the single player campaign. All in all, Black Flag is a triumphant return to form for what seemed to be a franchise verging on going stale. The addition of sea exploration is exactly the fresh invigoration the series needed. Expand
  54. May 9, 2014
    I gave this a bad review awhile ago and I would like to change the review into a good one... I came back to the game after not having anything to play on my ps4... I never said it was a bad game but I did say that it was the same game as it's predecessors and I was kind of angry with myself for re-buying a game that was essential no different then before,,, The game is good and in my opinion the best Assassins creed game to date.. The problem I do have with the game is that it's no different than the PS3 version of the game except a few tweaks to the graphics.. Expand
  55. Feb 12, 2014
    I have played them all and I can say that - at least for me - although ACIV is more of the same it still manages to be a breath of fresh air. This game is sick! I absolutely love the pirate theme - which made me enjoy a game like Rise 2, for instance. Edward Kenway's story is very cool and interesting and he's the best assassin after Ezio; with a lot of charm and witty remarks, without mentioning his abilities as an unofficial assassin (would this be considered a spoiler?). And then there's the Caribbean sandbox... seriously, I could only play the naval part of the game and never conclude its story, really. It is that awesome. Fantastic graphics, soundtrack, gameplay, cast of characters and stuff to do. It is a perfect game of the the PS4 launch, since there are not many games available to play. You can stick with AC4 for months. It is a blast! Expand
  56. Nov 30, 2013
    Because this series has been pumping out so many consecutive installments, I was worried that AC4 was going to be a flop. I'm couldn't be happier in being proved wrong. This title brings all that you love about AC back with the brilliance of naval warfare accompanied by a fresh and clever storyline. Gone is dull Connor and in is a slick pirate with swagger who's likeable and fun as hell. The sandbox is massive and gorgeous onthe PS4! Easily the best launch title for the console and one of the series best. If only we could get Ubisoft to stop reminding us that they're French Canadian during every animus cut scene.. Expand
  57. Jan 4, 2014
    A good game, but could be better. Visuals: the sea, ships, towns and animals look great. The resolution and frame-rate are both impeccable. Although the character models are sharp and move great, I find the skin textures are too shiny to be believable. (Maybe I've been spoilt by Heavy Rain The Last of Us?) Audio: music is spot on, sound effects are great. Sailing the seas and listening to your crew sing sea shanties heightens the experience.

Gameplay: At first I just wanted to get on a ship and sail to new islands, to explore on my own... But I found the game shepherding me too much and I had to fulfill its tasks, which was annoying. After a while the game opened up and I could explore as I wanted, but the thrill had kind of passed by then. (I'm probably being too harsh here.) Another thing is that big blue unbelievable walls (Animus style) appear telling you that you can't proceed in certain directions while in the current mission. I hate that. In fact, the whole Animus idea really destroys the illusion of the game (and previous Assassin Creed games). All Animus sections are boring... I just want to be a pirate. Anyway, you eventually find the strength to ignore all this nonsense.

Summary: a lovely game, marred by some annoyances, but well worth a playthrough. The companion app (for your phone/tablet) is also brilliant.
  58. Dec 23, 2013
    To my surprise, I am enjoying this game. I held off purchasing this before launch like I normally have done for other AC games. I thought I was finally burnt out on the series. Did not finish Revelations and was not impressed by AC3 (disappointed in Ubisoft's character development for Connor).

But I finally caved in and bought this. I can't stop playing it. It has renewed my
    interest in Assassin's Creed. More than that, I am having fun. 20hrs in, I have barely progressed in the main story because I am doing so many other things in open world. I barely touched naval combat in AC3 but in AC4 I can't stop. I purposely am avoiding fast travel to far off places just so I have an excuse to travel in my ship.

Game mechanics are the same but somehow seem smoother than previous games. I bought this on PS4 to assess improvements and maybe that is one of them.

If you love the AC series, pick this one up. If you have never played an AC game, try this out if you like open world and always wanted to be a pirate.
  59. Dec 15, 2013
    AC4 for the PS4 (and, I'm assuming, this would probably hold true for all versions) is a RARE kind of awesome. One of my top ten games of all time. If you enjoy sophisticated plots and characters, world exploration, diverse gameplay mechanics, excellent production values, and a lengthy gameplay experience, AC4 is very highly recommended. Highest possible recommendation. I don't know what Ubisoft is going to do to top this. Expand
  60. Jul 18, 2014
    This is a real return to form for Ubisoft. I was so disappointed with the last Assassin's Creed that I almost didn't buy this. It was only after recommendations that I eventually decided to give it a go and I am so pleased that I did.
    Black Flag gives us a main character that you want to get behind again, you want to win and sets it all in a map that you want to travel around. The
    attention to detail as you are traveling around for the strangers you pass to the animals that run by you is just incredible.
    Sure its not without its issue and perhaps the map is a bit too big (I used fast travel a lot) and every now and then it does glitch but this are minor things in a game that has rebuilt my confidence in this franchise. Bring on the revolution.
  61. Apr 30, 2014
    This game was a ton of fun that had me addicted the entire time. I've played through it multiple times and still can't believe how like able all the characters are in this game. Edward is by far my favorite assassin with a very like able story and personality. This game is by far the best game on next gen consoles to date.
  62. Nov 23, 2013
    great game! I really like the way assassins creed franchise evolved

shame it DON'T SUPPORT 21:9 ASPECT RATIO like most of ubi games... that's a -1
    What the ultra-wide users do? play in a small screen on the center of the monitor?
  63. Feb 6, 2014
    I played the Xbox 360 version of AC4, and I just didn't get into it that much for some reason. but then I figured I'd give AC4 another go but this time on the PS4 and all I can say is that I'm blown away by the amount of details and realism the PS4 version threw at me. the PS4 version of AC4 didn't have single issue with frame rate drops or any other problems the last gen systems had. AC4 is played in native 1080p but i'm not sure how many frames it's getting. now if only Watchdogs would just come out. Expand
  64. Dec 12, 2013
    If you were to directly compare this to AC 3, then this is a huge improvement over what was easily the worst game in the series. If you compare the game to the entire series, then it probably ranks as the 2nd or 3rd best game to come out so far. The biggest thing here is the emphasis on the ships in this game. If you didn't like it in the last game, then you'll hate it here and it'll turn you off so bad that you are forced into playing it, unlike the last game. This game is about 50% old AC stuff and 50% ship battling/exploration. You have to know that going into the game because it'll be a huge disappointment if you're expecting more like AC 2. The issue is that the story is not very good and if you don't like the ship mechanic, then don't play it because that's all you do all the time and the story is not good enough to carry the game through something like that. As a PS4 game, it's essentially one of the few games that is halfway decent on the system right now. If for only the fact that the game is better than most of the other stuff out there, pick this up if you're interested in it on a new system. But I would probably not recommend someone pick this up on the last gen consoles as there are tons of other things that they can play that will far and away better than this. Expand
  65. Feb 11, 2014
    I don't know Why this is the 1st Assassins Creed game ive played but after this Im sure it wont be my last. This may have a bearing on my outlook to the game. From the moment I put the disk in the drive I was impressed with its presentation. The UI looks fantastic and the visuals throughout the whole game are impressive.
    As im new to the series the whole Abstergo Interludes are a bit lost
    on me and I find them pointless. I gather this part of the game ties in the previous ones? (im yet to complete the game too btw so im hoping these bits have some sort of story tie in by the end of the game)
    The controls are very intuitive and you soon get the hang of controlling your ship in battles as well as the hand to hand combat.
    One other thing Im impressed with, is the companion app. So while your not playing the game on the PS4 you can earn ingame cash using Kenways fleet. You can also use it as a map while playing which is very handy while looking for buried treasure!
  66. Feb 6, 2014
    Do not be fooled.
    I hated AC3, it was a buggy mess. But the lure of this beautiful looking open world pulled me in to the series again.
    And for the first few hours of this game, it feels like something special. Very fun ship combat, great exploring and a lovely colorful world. But then you are reminded, its just ANOTHER Assassins Creed.

As the game moves on, you are on foot more and
    more often, and this is where the game falls apart.
    The 5 game old combat, could be done blindfolded. The variety offered in the form of different shaped/dressed enemies is plain annoying. A fat guy who throws a grenade, one who cant be attacked, one you have to counter. Its just so blurgh.
    Weapons are again pretty limited considering the depth early games had.

Then add on the climbing and running aspects, as usual you will spend countless hours running up the wrong wall, jumping when you didn't ask it to.
    I write this review on the back of one of the oh so fun trailing missions, 2 minutes of slow walking, i ascend to a rooftop to kill my target, only for the game to jump on to one of his guards 5 meters behind him. 3 times i've centered my screen on him, watched him flash and flicker as he becomes my target, only for the game to decide otherwise.

That point also brings up the mission design. Ubisoft, please stop thinking we enjoy walking slowly behind people for 5 minutes, only to be seen at the end and have to restart the entire thing.
    Or to eavesdrop on a conversation, and have to follow our target through a camp full of enemy men.
    Even Assassinate missions/contracts have become so mundane, no longer do you need to work a position and take guards out. Now just stand back and shoot a berserk dart at them and walk away.

It would also be nice if Ubisoft didn't treat me like an idiot. I left my ship alone, i go to the mission, and suddenly my quartermaster is beside me, i leave the cut scene and he has vanished.
    I silently kill a target as he stops off at the first of a few areas, two bodyguards and a few area guards. I kill him from a haystack, and in the cut scene am then putting his clothes on, what happened to his guards?

How in the world this series moves on from here i have no idea. The series was flat lining until they brought in ship travel, that helped to gloss over the old lazy boring gameplay. If they do indeed bring out another game this year, or even two like has been rumored (one for each generation of console), it needs to take the game in a crazy new way. But please, just let Creed die. Give us a new Prince of Persia.

PS, i havent mentioned the story cause frankly, i have no idea what it is, and i dont care. The game is made in a way that you very rarely actually do story missions, you get distracted with collectibles and side missions and travelling so often.
  67. Dec 6, 2013
    I've always been a bit ambivalent about the Assassins Creed series, the PC ports have been pretty bad and I always thought it over ambitious on the PS3 (and I suck at climbing walls). This time the game is rendered as smooth as can be and running through Havana a joy (although I still suck at climbing).

I'm not a fan of the race to collect the shanties (see suckyness above) and those
    missions where you need to tail someone can get tedious but other than that I'm having a blast with the combat and exploration both on land and sea.

A finely, ahem, executed game on the PS 4
  68. Feb 1, 2014
    Not only this games looks very very good but also they've got incredibly close to a pillar of Assassin's Creed franchise: Assassin's Creed II. And I did definitely enjoy that developers not only had taken best part of AC3 -- sailing it is -- but also vastly improved it.
  69. May 3, 2014
    Finally. After total disaster and fail with AC3 good old AC is back. In many ways best AC until now. When I started to play I thought it will be pure 10/10, but they managed to spoil gameplay with some little things but big enough to partly spoil the game. First of all gfx, gameplay, crafting system is awesome. But there is way too much "follow"/"catch"/"tail" missions which are extremely dull. To be worst almost every memory have that. Would be better if they put that in side missions or something because this way you cannot avoid bad parts. Second, there is some Abstergo hack missions which are very annoying and pointless. To be worst Abstergo part doesn't improve story in any way. Game is on good way to be perfect. Without that bad parts it would be pure 10! Expand
  70. Jan 1, 2014
    Well this one is definitely better than ACIII. Still got few annoying bugs and the free run and combat aren't as fluid as previous titles. Blocking is extremely annoying in this one.
    Sailing is fascinating visuas are stunning. I likedthe story and Edward character.collectables aren't that much interesting except for Mayan and Templar hunt. Naval combats are great too.
    Multiplayer sucks
    big time absolutely nothing new here is played other ac games. Another annoying this is the social events in single player mood. Too rare and impossible to find. Ubi support didn't provide feedback about this so far.
    There is nothing to do after completing the game so replay isn't really that much fun. This is 7 for mr
  71. Dec 14, 2013
    I liked the first one and hated 2, Brotherhood and 3. But wow Black Flag is an awesome adventure. For being a next gen launch title I am really impressed with the graphic. It is about medium high on a gaming pc. The story is fun and the ship battles are great. The overall sound and music is top notch. This is what AC should have always been.
  72. Mar 20, 2014
    This game is repetitive and boring. Having to sail hours of your life away is by no means fun. AC2 remains the only game I have enjoyed to the end in this series.
  73. Jan 14, 2014
    Το παιχνιδι ειναι υπεροχο απλα, ευτυχως δεν ειχε καμια σχεση με το απαισιο 3 και καταφεραν να μας μεταφερουν με τον καλυτερο τροπο τους πειρατες στο σπιτι μας !
  74. Dec 7, 2013
    Assassins Creed IV is developed for current generations of console, so dont expect to see a life like graphics, its just expanded for Next Gen console.
    ACIV does a good job in forming an open world game, wonderful world and nice to explore the environments and it does feel different other than other AC series, gameplays is awesome....although some parts are little boring due to the lack
    of detail in story or being too cliché at times. but overall gameplay is really fun.
    in terms of graphics it does look better on PS4, firstly that it runs on native 1080p, its a solid 30FPS, better texture work, nice plantation also in terms of physics they are much better, a more wonderful sea, better rain effects, improved perspectives and finally a really nice Rain effect and more smoke effects are some of the next gen improvements.
    if you are thinking should you pick up this for your PS3 or PS4 i would say it is a really good choice to pick it up fro ps4 and you will not be disappointed.
  75. Dec 1, 2013
    Story is weak and hard to follow at times, too many ship and tailing missions, but other than that it easily improves vastly from the other games and does everything other than the story much better.
  76. Dec 4, 2013
    Cracking pirating adventure that had me singing along with the shantys and really enjoying the plundering and battling. Amazingly good fun, however some gripes as follows: Paying for the "next gen" version sticks in the craw for only next gen foliage after boarding a boat the FMV is always seems to be the same, gets a bit tedious Not every island is accessible, and you cannot traverse the whole place feels "enclosed"
    Free running seems to have gone back to the crazy monkey of AC2 where you are running along and suddenly try mounting a wall

Other than this the game is solid and great fun. Grow your beard, get your other half to make you an eye patch (I love my girl for walking in with mine) and have a rip roaring time!
  77. May 13, 2014
    Story:
    You play as Edward Kenway, the father of Haytham Kenway and Grandfather of Connor Kenway. You've left your home of England to pursue the almighty coin. One day, your ship crashes and after a series of events (involving the Templars of course), you wind up stealing a ship with the help of some prisoners, and you end up escaping from a naval fleet in the middle of a storm. I was
    surprised by how good the story was. Like its predecessors, the story's timeline lasts a few decades and throughout the story, you really see a change in Edward as his goals change, his friends interfere with his goals, and as he's hunted down by Templars. The dialogue is very well written with a nice "pirate-y" flavor added to it. Edward's friends are really entertaining to watch, and some of them are famous historical pirates (Blackbeard, Charles Vane, Bonnie, etc.). I'll also say that there are some death scenes here that really got to me due to how they were well executed with the music and atmosphere. I also thought that the ending was really heartwarming and emotional due to how you've developed a relationship with Edward and after everything he's been through. Unfortunately, since I haven't played AC2 yet (I plan on doing so in the future), I can't say if this is the best AC story ever made, but it's pretty close to that title. 10/10

Gameplay:
    The biggest new addition to AC4's gameplay is the emphasis on naval combat (No longer a side activity like in AC3). You get your own ship called the Jackdaw, which you use for traveling, combat, and for exploration. This is the 1st time that an AC game actually encourages exploration since the map is pretty large and there are so many islands, ancient ruins, and military camps to discover and loot, Actual wildlife to hunt and craft character upgrades for (just like in Far Cry 3) in both land and sea, and old ship wreaks to dive into and search for gold and ship upgrades. There are also forts that you can assault to reveal all locations in a certain area on your world map. These forts range, from easy, normal, and hard so you'll have to upgrade your ship if you want to stand a chance against some of the harder forts. the last new pirate-y feature Ubisoft added were 4 "legendary ships". Think of these as Raid Bosses from Borderlands 2 as they're really tough to sink, have special unrealistic abilities, and offer you 20,000 gold each, as well as a special ability you unlock if you sink all of them. Once you're on land, things slow down. The combat is still the same, easy, attack and block sequence from AC3, all the side activities from previous AC games (viewpoint syncing, treasure collecting, searching for documents and letters, upgrading your hideout, etc.) return, and the wanted system returns, but only for naval combat. A few new things were added for when you're on foot: No more notoriety, new taverns to unlock by beating up a bunch of drunk idiots (literally), new treasure maps which are fun to do, and new shanties to discover so your crew can sing to you while you're out at sea. The naval combat has been improved from AC3. Once you got the right upgrades, you can become deadly out on the open seas. You fire your main cannons from the side of your ship, you can ram from the front, use mortars for long range combat, use more powerful cannon balls for close range, and use barrels to set traps while you're fighting. Once you've nearly destroyed a ship, you can sink it for half loot (needed for $ and ship upgrades), or board it, complete a few minor objectives, and kill X amount of sailors to get full loot and more crew members. Even though my crew couldn't kill anyone, it was still fun to board a ship to steal all of its loot and treasure. You still have all the stealth parts of an AC game, and the forgettable modern day segments (different now that Desmond's gone), but aside from that, the gameplay is fun and adds a nice breath of fresh air with its new pirate elements (we REALLY need a good and new pirate game soon). 9/10

Graphics:
    This game looks and runs great on PS4, the lighting and textures are great, the character models are updated, and the water motions (especially during a storm) are well made. This by far the best looking AC game out there right now. 9/10

Sound:
    All the crew shanties sound like actual shanties, the score is good, and the environmental sounds are solid. 8/10

Multiplayer:
    Same as AC3. If you liked AC3's multiplayer, you'll like this ones. If you didn't like it, you're out of luck (The mode creator doesn't add much new content). 7/10

Verdict:
    Many people who've played AC2 said this was the 2nd best AC game ever made, and since there're aren't that many PS4 games out right now, go ahead and pick up a copy of this game, unless you don't care about pirate games. If Ubisoft keeps this up, then maybe the AC franchise has a chance to make a comeback after 2 disappointing games.

Rating: 9/10
  78. Apr 13, 2014
    The Assassin´s Creed IV: Black Flag review

Are ya ready kids! Aye aye Captain Kenway!
    Ow yeah.
    Well, as I went through this game there was no stopping my exploration needs. Every ten square meter island I saw and every shore with those badass flamingos flying around was an instant stop for my wave cruising ride called “The Jackdaw”. This curiosity that I had for the map was fueled by
    the enormous work that went into the creation and detail of the sea and its little islands as well as the inland jungle. Previous games had big cities as their main location but now, as well as having a few of these; the creators have gifted you with a whole ocean for traversing. The movement and the character that the sea shows are beautiful as well as dangerous as this bastard throws you some nasty storms some times. Another added feature aside from the open world sea exploring were the diving sequences which are actually quite a few. I had some trouble with these as the mechanics aren´t all that perfect and I kept going nose first into those damn sea urchins. But aside from the clumsiness (that is expected from any underwater levels) it manages to handle them with the awe of seeing the depth of the ocean, man! Goosebumps!
    Ship boarding and fort taking are some cool mechanics that the game also offers and they serve the fleshing out of the characters as well as random unscripted cinematic action sequences which make you feel like a badass.
    Speaking of cinematic sequences I loved the ones that Ubisoft created for us. Of course, they are scripted but nothing beats a pirate running across a swamp, with rain pouring on him and crocodiles snap at his legs. They give you some cool camera movements too!
    Before mentioning the awesome moment that completed my love for this game I will address some negatives about it. One being the free run mechanics which in some important mission points just decided that should just stop hang completely motionless from a rooftop and have a little chat with the local rooftop cat. These moments have been present since the dawn of the Assassin´s Creed games and it would be very pleasing if they could be corrected in the future. My other problem with it is that some cutscenes and story moments felt rushed at times. I can understand this as the game is more focused in ambience and exploration but some felt lacking some character.
    I think the negative argument from above would have been less noticeable had the other cutscenes not been so freaking awesome and gorgeously made. The takes are amazingly done (sometimes) and some dialogue in some the cutscenes really stood out for me, Blackbeard´s speech for example. But there is one cutscene, one that makes this game rule over every other AC games. SPOILER ALERT.
    The final cutscene isn´t something you see every day. And I say this because it could have ended with whatever short cutscene featuring Edward going away. But the way it managed to use all the weight of the things you experienced through this adventure and use that amazing shot of all the people that had an impact in your journey was magical. It didn´t matter if the relationships with some of them didn´t end well but they impacted the journey in a positive way, and that kind of nostalgia can only be achieved in a cutscene if it uses, like I mentioned, the weight of all those hours playing that game. That my friends, is masterful.
    Maybe it was the music or the nostalgia that swallowed me whole in that moment or seeing Edward smile as he sees his daughter, but that cutscene in general hit me pretty bad, in a good way because I wasn´t expecting something that heavy!
    In conclusion this game, while suffering from some technical issues, is amazing. It stands out in some many ways not previously explored by some AC games and it totally achieves greatness. This game deserves one special spot on your shelve. I am giving it an astounding 9 out of 10!

Be sure to check my blog where I post reviews like this one: http://thechannelofawesome.blogspot.mx/
  79. May 22, 2014
    As someone who always find AC is overrated, I am surprised that how much I enjoyed to play this game for at least the first 20 hours. Definitely the best sailing/pirate game I played in the past 10 years. I cannot stop thinking how it can be if they cut the assassin nonsense but focus only on sailing part of the game and add more trading gameplay and a big map. Honestly, the assassin part is just boring and weird. The graphic on ps4 is candy. Expand
  80. Jul 12, 2014
    Without a doubt my personal favorite in the Assassin's Creed series! I've always been fascinated with lives and times of pirates since I was a kid, so much like Red Dead Redemption this game is a love letter to someone like me! The lead character is a lovable picture perfect pirate and the story is very interesting with many awesome levels and twists that I don't think you'll see coming! I enjoyed this game very much last year on the Playstation 3 and I'm enjoying it even more this time around with the enhanced graphics of the Playstation 4! Everything is rendered with the most detail you could imagine, everything so little as water splashing on the deck of your ship or the leave of a push brushing against your body as you move through it you will find it very hard to develop a complaint against this game, not only in the graphics department but the game as a whole! Expand
  81. Feb 26, 2014
    I just can't imagine that assassin's creed 4 could be so awesome,The first time i saw the trailer,i say:oh pirates,is there any good to sail in the sea??not gonna lie,assassin's creed 3 is a huge disappointed for me,I love american revolution history but AC 3 is so not a sandbox game,more like a pure action game,which i hate it,but AC 4 ,thankfully,it's a real sandbox game!you can do whatever you want,sank the loyal ship,do the assassinate contract for money,as for money,you can use it to upgrade the ship! that's the most gorgeous thing for me!!! after all,I can't imagine that i love pirates life in AC 4 so so much! because i'm not a real pirates fun before!! and that's one of the reason that why i hesitate to pick it up at the beginning,but now i feel so lucky to have it,and i think it‘'s the best initial next-gen game! if you own a PS4 ,you like sandbox game,you are a history fun,don't hesitate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Expand
  82. Jan 5, 2014
    i had hopes fore ac4 but this is not what i expectid wow.
    finally a great pirate game a great charecthers and good music.
    a realy great story and ship gameplay just taking down ships is amezing.
    the only thing is they need a new combat then this game wil be even better.
  83. Nov 27, 2013
    okay, let's get some things out of the way first...
    I am NO console fan-boy, not a cheerleader for PlayStation, nor for XBoX!

I am a PC-gamer and a proud one, too... for that, my review is focussing on the differences between this "next Gen" and the good ole' PC.
    I'll write something about the game first in this part I and later in part II I'll say something about this PS4 version.

I. (the game itself):

I played ALL parts of the AC franchise and while I didn't like them all, I didn't hate all either.
    "Black Flag" is in my opinion the best AC yet!
    This is so, because they took what I loved about ACIII the most, sea-fights, and built their game around that, plus I absolutely adore pirates since I was a kid.
    The setting in the carribean is just great and while the islands are pretty small, this has the upside of the islands not overwhelming you with their sheer size.
    On the other hand, when in a sea-fight, it can be annoying when you crash with your ship into a sandbank, for there's yet another island in your way... ;)
    Anyway, LOVE the seafights and the "boat-play" and I LOVE how the world looks in this installment, with bright colors and a turquoise sea. Just beautiful!
    Normal combat is as dull as it has always been it's just always the same. Swing sword, wait for a chance to counter, then counter and kill your enemy that's it. But then again, hasn't it always been as dull as it is now? I think yes, it was always like this.
    Storyline is nice, from what I've seen until now I'm not yet through atm. Missions are, again, more of the same, which can be dull at some points and they should come up with more new ideas, IMO...
    But, on the gameplay itself, "AC Black Flag" is a solid game and I'd give it 8/10 points.

Part II: the PS4 version...

I own the game on my PC and now I visited a friend, who proudly wanted to brag with his new PS4, asking me, with a stupidly arrogant grin on his face, whether I'd had seen any game as beautiful as this ever before in my life.... unfortunately, I HAD TO tell him straight-out "YES!" OMG, yes! He wouldn't believe me that my version on PC looked better than his PS4 version not enough that I didn't even have a top-of-the-line graphics-card, for mine was mid-range and is almost 3 years old...
    So we kept on playing for an hour more and I took him to my home, where he could witness proof of the PCs advantage over his PS4.
    He didn't want to believe me, but when he actually saw proof of my not lieing, he almost teared-up! Yes, he really was about to cry.
    And as I had mentioned, I use a "Radeon HD 5850 Xtreme", an 2 year old reboot of an almost 4 years old GPU that runs OC, but lacks some functions of the newest GPUs and, as I said, it isn't even an expensive top-of-the-line graphics-card...

Nevertheless, the graphics on PC even a mid-range PC, mind you!, the graphics look just better on PC!
    Everything is clearer, more crisp AND I run a game in AT LEAST 30 FPS, many games even in constantly 60 FPS...

Apart from graphics, I didn't notice that many differences between PC and PS4 controls on PS4 were equally great on both systems, which leaves the PC on the throne of "great gaming experience", IMO.
    I honestly have hoped for this "next Gen" of consoles to finally become better than a decent PC (not top-of-tzhe-line, I must remind you!that consoles will NEVER achieve!), but, unfortunately, this "next Gen" is not quite there yet and even my "3 years old mid-range rig"(!) is still kicking this consoles ass!
    I hope that this has only been the case for the games aren't quite there yet, but then again, even if it really were for "AC BF" being one of the very first PS4 games that it could NOT beat my PC YET, I have to remind everybody sharing this hope that, in December I'm gonna buy an "enthusiasts" GPU (GFX 780 Ti), the best there is out there at the moment and with that, I don't think ANY of the next 3 years PS4 games could beat my PC then!

on this particular PS4 version, I have to rate "AS: BF" only 4/10

which leaves us with:

game itself: 8/10
    PS4 version: 4/10

OVERALL: 6/10
  84. Dec 29, 2013
    The PS4 graphics are beautiful, both when your in 1715 sailing the seas and exploring island and when your in present day overlooking the city.

The story is great and this is one of my favorite games of 2013, surprising considering I played and never liked Assassins Creed. The pirate them is amazing for the game.
  85. Apr 21, 2014
    Loved the game played till i got 100% the games open world of the seas made you fell like a pirate. Also the other characters in the game had lots of different personality. fishing ,finding, treasure, upgrading your guy, an your boat, going into woods to hunting are all really fun to do. Movement in the game was really easy to manipulate so is the combat sneaking and boat battles. things i did not like was going on the land and exploring because there was not much land to explore on. Expand
  86. Dec 9, 2013
    no Abstergo mumbo jumbo, and a few repetitive missions striped away and this game is a masterpiece as a pirate game on it's own! definitely my favourite from the whole AC franchise.
  87. Dec 23, 2013
    ACIV: Black Flag is by far my favorite entry in the franchise, and I'm looking forward to continuing the game withe DLC. The game was stunning to look at and the story was great. The only drawbacks I felt the game had were the redundancy of certain missions, and no variety of options to obtain items needed for upgrades.

Overall ACIV is a fantastic game.
  88. Dec 23, 2013
    I wanted to wait until I finished this game before writing anything, and so I have. It took me from launch day until late December, but I have collected every animus fragment and finished the story. And It. Was. Glllllorious. A nearly perfect open world sandbox pirate game, with everything you liked about Assassin's Creed games, with the best character and best story so far.
  89. Jun 3, 2014
    Assassin's creed: Black flag is interesting in the fact that, while giving the appearance of a fresh new,massive world, it becomes clear after a few hours of hands on time, that assassin's creed black flag is indeed just another game in the franchise with a new coat of paint.

While the setting may have changed from European mainlands, to beautiful Caribbean island locations; the
    game-play has widely remained unchanged. From the typical tail the NPC missions, to the unchanged combat mechanics, dated character animations, and physics.That' s not to say this game doesn't have its moments, because it certainly does.

Sailing the high seas is extremely enjoyable, while also taking in the beautiful locations and activities the game has to offer.

The new setting offers pretty oceans and islands, it really isn't that graphically outstanding.
    Quite disappointing really.

This game is a fun and entertaining one, it just doesn't offer anything drastically new or innovating for the series. Being an assassin's creed game, you should truly know what to expect.
  90. Apr 18, 2014
    Where do i begin, the setting is very welcoming and colourful, the characters are quite well written with some believable dialogue. There are plenty of things to do but as with many none rpg games they get extremely repetitive with silly trivial and tedious items to collect, and other menial tasks like escort missions and killing a certain amount of enemies. The controls are extremely irritating and inconsistent, you have to do things in increments, you cant play the game in a fluid manner, for example upon defeating a enemy ship, and are about to board you walk up to your swivel gun mounted on the side of the ship and you cant press the interact button straight away you have to wait for about a second for your character to come to a halt then do so. It gets so infuriating. your character gets stuck to walls and ledges when you don't want to, it practically ruins the game alone. The graphics are ridiculous for a new generation of console, cause its cheaper for ubisoft to use a old engine than produce a new one. There are many auto save glitches as well i was at 33% then the next time i booted up the game it was at 25% i lost about 8-10 hours of progress so after that i just sold it back. The storyline is ridiculously far fetched and pathetic. I wanted to like it really, but it was wrought with repetition and frustration. Expand
  91. Ed_
    Jun 5, 2014
    The game is fantastic, enjoyable. Despite the new era and the new gameplay Assassin's Creed 4 could continue its ancestors' success. The story is great as always. No bugs and there are no problems with controls. The game worth every penny.

Can't wait for the new Unity.
  92. Dec 20, 2013
    I was less than overwhelmed with Assassin's Creed III, as my review indicates. Nevertheless, AC IV was my top choice for a PS4 launch title. From the moment I washed up on the game's first island, I instantly found this version more compelling. The new protagonist, Edward Kenway, lives some time before Connor. He's a pirate, rather than an assassin, and a slightly unsavory character. He's convinced he can make his fortune, chasing one far-fetching dream after another. He's more interesting than either protagonist from AC3, but more over, the game is just more fun. The scenes are broken down into a number of small locations, and when you get everything in one, it turns gold on your map. Which basically meant I ran around trying to turn as many locations gold as possible. For the first time in a long, long time, I found myself interested in accomplishing everything in game. In the end I didn't, not quite. The game was a bit larger than I would have liked for doing everything, and while I loved the exploration, by the end, I was ready for it to be over.

Graphics:
    The beautiful Caribbean setting pops, especially on PS4. This is by far the prettiest game in the franchise, making simply running around and climbing stuff fun in a way that hasn't been since about AC 2 (the first one).

Story:
    Edward Kenway is a protagonist out for himself--selfish and short-sighted. But despite seeing his self-destructive path, I still felt for him. And seeing him slowly grow as a character was a pleasure. The story is mostly fun and free-spirited, but tinged with a hint of regret, as the age of piracy is dying and Edward begins to realize that his style of living does have a cost.

In the present, a new, unnamed protagonist takes Desmond's place. The new guy or gal--you never know--is working for Abstergo Entertainment, who is making a virtual reality experience for retail from the memories of Desmond ancestors. Of course, that's a cover, but your hero isn't in on the real loop. It's all kind of tongue-in-cheek. Honestly, since the Desmond sections of AC3 were the best part, I found these sections here a bit of a let down. They mainly consist of hacking mini-games, most of which grew tedious long before I uncovered all the secrets.

Gameplay:
    The overall play experience is similar to AC 3, but refined in almost every way. Gone are annoying lock picking mini games, that made me actually walk past checks in that game. Now, I go out of my way to collect all the treasures--because, hey, pirate treasure! The game places a lot of emphasis on naval battles, but fortunately, the battles themselves, and upgrading your ship, are actually pretty fun.

In fact, the only tedium I really faced was the real-world hacking mini games, and feeling like a few too many eavesdropping missions cropped up. Don't get me wrong--the occasional eavesdropping or tail-the-guy mission breaks up the gameplay, but it becomes frustrating if you fail and are repeatedly forced to reload. I would have liked it better if, more like AC 1, there were alternatives and the game didn't just reload when things went awry.
  93. Dec 6, 2013
    This was my first Assassin's Creed game and I loved it. There is a noticeable difference in the visuals between the PS3 and PS4 versions. The PS4 version is more crisp and the open world looks much more beautiful than it does on the PS3. The world is massive and you can honestly find yourself getting lost in it and putting off the main story. The main story is alright; nothing special but not terrible either, which isn't a bad thing since most people will probably enjoy exploring and naval battles more anyways. The only few problems I had were with the parkour system. Having played both inFamous games I was interested in seeing how it works in Assassin's Creed. The system works, but it is flawed. There are times when you climb you don't want to and after a while it can get annoying. Regardless of this though, the game is great and probably the one next gen launch everyone should pick up. Expand
  94. Apr 26, 2014
    When I reviewed this game for the PS3 I loved it, But I told that Black Flag did not have enough to do, But after playing this game on PS4 for 5 months now, I am able to say that Black Flag was a experience, It has lot of stuff to do and is just fun, AC4 has a brilliant main character, Edward along with Ed Thatch, Adawale, James Kidd and others create a story which is centered around money, It never takes itself seriously, Gameplay is fun and you spend a lot of time upgrading the Jackdaw which is your ship and buy all sorts of weapons and outfits, However the true problem with AC games still stands, Which are these annoying main missions which involve tailing, Eavesdropping and assassinating, The missions have moderate variety and I hope they innovate with that soon enough, Nonetheless AC4 is amazing, a game that will make you come back to it very often and a game that I would recommend it to anyone ! 9/10 !!! Expand
  95. Nov 17, 2013
    Its a good game a sign of things to come, best launch Tittle for the ps4. Its a very fun game the only knock I have is I wish there was more control on the stealth aspect of the game.
  96. Feb 27, 2014
    I wasn't expecting much after playing 3 but holy **** was this an amazing game. The story and characters are absolutely amazing and the gameplay is nice and fluid. The game looks absolutely beautiful as well. It's bright and colorful. The navy combat is probably (for me at least) the best part of the game. In all honesty this should of GOTY 2013 instead of GTA V
  97. Jul 13, 2014
    Easily the best game in the Assassin's Creed franchise. After the low that was Assassin's Creed 3, I think most fans can agree that we were worried about the next AC being a disappointment, as well.

Connor was probably the most disliked AC character to date, with his monotone, mediocre voice-acting and overall dull "must do right" character.

Edward Kenway, on the other hand, brings a
    much lighter tone to the franchise, akin to Jack Sparrow.

The story is great. The combat, crafting, free-running and everything else has all been revamped. I bought this game the day it came out and it has quickly become my favorite Assassin's Creed.
  98. Dec 26, 2013
    Graphics: Amazing, some of the best on next gen, but still not. 9.5.

Sound: Amazing soundtrack, great voice acting. 10.

Gameplay: The game mixes in elements from the old AC games but adds in a ton of “sea gameplay”. In this game you get to sail the seas as a pirate plunder ships for treature/materials, the ship gameplay has been advanced from AC3. The majority of the game
    takes place on the sea and the game is actually made difficult. For example you need to plunder ships to upgrade your jackdaw ship to continue on the sequences so they’re not as tough. The games multiplayer is similar to the previous games, but it is still very fun and addicting, although I felt AC3 wasn't as glitchy. The singleplayer also has issues connecting to uplay servers, making it a pain for those that want to access the in-game fleet, or those hoping to get annoying trophies like sharing is caring. Typical UBI-Glitch for ya. The game is good the features are glitchy. 9.

Story: The story is great, and the new character Edward is likeable more than Connor to most, he will feel like the character with charm, and gives the game the right balance it needed for a while. The story unfolds in a predictable way, but also this game does not feel like an AC game and could have been a standalone pirate game. The out of animus story never really progresses, leaving more cliffhangers and disappointments. Average story. 7

Replay Value: Tons of stuff no doubt. The game itself can take from 12-20 hours to complete plus there’s multiplayer, and tons of collectibles/side missions. 10.

Overall Score: 9.1 out of 10.
  99. Nov 22, 2013
    I have found my time in the West Indies to be a more fun and open experience than I ever thought it would be in my return to the series. While I have logged over 70 hours across two different platforms I rarely felt like I was aimlessly adrift. The creators do a good job giving you the tools you need to start enjoying the world and then turning you loose. They have distilled the previous iterations of the series into a more expansive, refined and adventurous game.

There are some things I would have liked to see a bit more polished. While movement is good overall, there were times where I felt it was lacking (usually when falling to my "death" or chasing after someone). Also, like most open world games there are some small glitches or exploits you could abuse if you so choose. Finally, while I enjoyed the story line overall, I felt that the pirate theme could have stood on it's own and the "Assassin's Creed" parts were a bit shoe-horned. It wasn't glaring or a big issue just something I felt while playing.

Next Gen versus current gen:
    At first I didn't notice a big change, as I was looking at character models looked, clothing etc. While you could tell a difference it wasn't glaring, then I started to really play the game. While subtle, the changes aren't small. The biggest change is the draw distance and clarity at range. Where before you could tell there was a soldier off in the distance, now you can see him clearly.You can tell what weapon(s) he has, direction he's facing etc. The world as a whole is much more clear and moves more naturally, especially I noted the water, explosions and smoke.

Black Flag has a few flaws but it's a lush and vibrant world where I was able to have some pretty incredible adventures.
  100. Nov 25, 2013
    Assassins Creed 4 was definitely a pleasant surprise for me this year, and on next gen it looks beautiful. I won't dwell on the graphics too long, but the next gen versions look stunning. It may be early in the next gen life cycle, and still not be miles ahead of the current gen versions, but the difference is noticeable.

I have played all the Assassin's Creed games, and the sheer
    amount of things to do in this game, from plundering and boarding ships, assassination contracts, finding relics, exploring the sea and acting like a bad ass pirate, and just traversing the world doing a bunch of other mini side quests( which are actually really, really fun this time!) is astounding! I have never had this much fun playing an Assassin's Creed game.

Now for the story. The story is a fun change of pace from the rest of the series, and unlike other critics this does not disappoint me. The story focuses on more of your life as a pirate stuck in the middle of the Assassin-Templar feud, and this tends to get amusing and is quite enjoyable playing both sides and showing them who's boss, in badass assassin-pirate style!

This is my first review so I am going to keep it really short.

Thanks for reading, hope you like the game!
  101. Dec 12, 2013

1. Apr 20, 2014
    The PlayStation 4 version of the game is mechanically the same as the PlayStation 3 version, but the new engine is eye-poppingly awesome.
  2. Ubisoft significantly improved the multiplayer side of things. Also, story takes you places.
  3. Jan 4, 2014
    It’s difficult to imagine Assassin’s Creed ever leaving the sea behind.