7.1

1. Jan 7, 2014
    Smooth, just as fun as PC, beautiful and plays incredibly well on the Dual Shock 4! The control scheme surprising works perfectly! 10/10! This game is the start of a line-up of indie games that had me choosing the PS4 over the XBone. You guy's over at Klei did a fantastic job when you made this game a reality! Sony you have helped make it an amazing console version that runs unbelievable well. So much fun in such a gorgeously wrapped FREE gift from Sony! Expand
  2. Jan 12, 2014
    How do you turn Tim Burton's 2d answer to Minecraft into infuriating garbage? Permadeath.

At first it will be boring and hard scavenging supplies.

Than you will be driven and make a farm, full of food making contraptions vast groves of berries creating new weapons clothes and devices to protect against the elements. Walls for safety and a spectacular base to provide safety after
    long days out scavenging and exploring ruins in this weird wild world. You will shave beefalo and ambush spiders hunt wild turkey and trap rabbits which you will use to make a magic hat.

All to assemble scattered pieces of your machine that got you here, than teleport to the next world which will be harder and harder.

Sounds like a 10 right?

wrong, permadeath, no finding your corpse and looting it or going back to your house. When you die which is VERY easy due to clunky controls, you start over from level 1 with nothing. Like losing your last life on an NES game. After 10 hours of work over 3 days you will be right back where you started.

This game has a LOT of potential, ruined by one fatal flaw. Although these purely random Toejam and earl style worlds are neat they are wildly disjointed, but that's the fun of taming them.

Don't get to attached to your pet beefalo, you die, you can't go back to your last save you are DEAD and it auto saves it and you have nothing.

I love the idea, would love a sequel, hell just an update to bring this game the feature we have all enjoyed since 1987's legend of Zelda.
  3. Jan 9, 2014
    Happily sat down to play this and, after an hour I had my science machine, a set of clothing and an array of weapons and traps. The problem, however, was that I realised I hadn't actually enjoyed myself at all. I love the art style, I think the quips of the gentleman scientist are excellent, but they all served to blind me to the fact that the game isn't actually any fun. It's one of those games where you end up thinking, "I definitely enjoy games more than this, don't I?". In summary, I felt that a decent chunk of my evening had been squandered. Expand
  4. Jan 11, 2014
    This game is basically a dead end (no pun intended).

Let me first start with what I like about the game 1) The art is good, very Tim Burton-esque. 2) The concept is good but needs to be tweaked to allow you to play on after death.

What I did not like: 1) Inventory system is horrific, and not adequate for the amount of items you essentially have to carry. 2) If you die, there is
    no resurrecting (other than if you happened to build something that allows so in-game). You have to start all over and do not maintain any of the recipes, exploration or anything else that you may have discovered. 3) The controls are clunky in general.

Suggestions I have would be to allow some sort of save at some point (make it 7 days, 14 days, even a month, but something). Now I am sure many of you will say that this is what makes the game so great, that you have to be critical and precise with everything you do, but this aspect really kills it for me with replay value. I have no interest in spending the first hour or two over and over again finding and crafting the basics to return to where I was.

If the graphics were not interesting and as they are the game would have received a 1. I really wanted to like this game, and did for the first few tries, but it quickly became boring a repetitious. I'll stick to something else for now.
  5. Jan 9, 2014
    It's ok for about half an hour and that is it. I really hope ps4 improves its ps plus. Painful going from 3 quality games for the ps3 to 1 sort of mini game on the ps4! You would never pay for this it's just a download play once then delete.
  6. Jan 9, 2014
    Having read about this game late and all the comparisons to minecraft and terraria the whole time I spent playing Don't Starve I felt like this was my type of game - but unfortunately I just didn't find it very fun. It felt like something was missing to make the game complete for me. Lack of online leaderboards and cooperative play make gameplay feel meaningless. A leveling up system I thought ok this might be kind of fun you level up and you can probably survive longer right? Wrong. All it does is unlocks more characters, which don't take very long to unlock, I decided to try other characters in hopes that the game would suck less. Unfortunately this was not the case. I'm very glad I didn't have to pay for this game having PS plus because had I spent anything on it I'd have been absolutely disgusted. I spent about 15 hours playing this game and the one thing that I could say is trying not to starve is incredibly boring. Expand
  7. Jan 8, 2014
    besides the somewhat clunky inventory system and lack of zoom out feature. its a solid port looks great and works great besides the inventory problem and a couple glitches.

overall 8/10
  8. Jan 8, 2014
    This survival game is a great change of pace for the PS4 offering tense yet entertaining gameplay. Don't starve, don't get killed and don't go crazy. The longer you survive, the more things you find out about this strange world. Will you learn fast enough to survive? Play and find out!
  9. Jan 8, 2014
    Great game with a simple goal, survive. Don't Starve is incredibly fun and addicting to play. As you go on you learn more about how to play the game and each death leaves you wanting to get back into the game and keep playing.
  10. Jan 8, 2014
    Fantastic game with a cool looking comic book style that runs just as well if not better on ps4 than it did on PC.

Klei have included every update from the PC game day one on the ps4 version, to top it all off it you have fantastic remote play optimisation.

I will go as far as to say its the best game currently on ps4.
  11. Jan 8, 2014
    This is a really fun game that everyone should get. On account of it being free for Playstation Plus Members this game is well worth the price (ha get the joke?) Don't Starve is a very cartoony looking game that also has some survivor horror aspects. During the day you spend your time out looking for supplies for crafting at night however you will need to build a campfire or else the terrifying monsters will get you 0_0. The longer you play it the more you enjoy it. The longer you survive the harder it gets. The map changes every time so its different every time. One time I'm playing I'm thriving in the woods with a base and food to last a while. The next time however I'm struggling just to keep myself fed. Expand
  12. Jan 20, 2014
    This game uses trial and error as an official gameplay mechanic. Normally its there due to sloppy design, however in here, the developers absolutely planned it. They embrace it. They put it on a pedestal (40YOV reference!).

Trial and error is a terribly frustrating experience for somebody trying to enjoy a videogame. This game deliberately does not have ANY tutorials whatsoever. You're
    lucky to get a screen showing what the buttons do. You have to learn everything the hard way, meaning by dying because of it and therefore restarting your game from scratch.

Simple example: You die if night comes and you don't have a light source. Nowhere is this even hinted at. So EVERY SINGLE PLAYER will die on their first play as soon as night comes.

And thats it, this is how this game works. You play, there'll be something new that wasnt explained, you'll die, now you know something new and you start over from scratch.

Those will add up to hours and hours of precious life time just lost. For no purpose at all. Which brings me to the other fatal gripe that I have with the game. There is no ending. There is no reward. There are no credits. No satisfaction. THERE IS NO POINT. I don't feel like investing my time on anything thats not going to give me anything back.

This extreme survival mode should have been just one of the gametypes offered in the game ALONG with a proper campaign that ends.

I see a lot of people are actually praising the game for the very reasons I hated it. The only thing I can say to that is... Well, we all like different things :D
  13. Jan 8, 2014
    At first glance I thought Don't Starve looked a waste of time. I've been wrong before. The game is actually pretty fun. The goal is simple, survive. Collect materials to craft tools and other thing that will ultimately help keep you alive. The layout of the HUD is nice and simple and it didn't take long for me to understand just how to survive.. You start off with nothing. You collect stuff and work day by day to survive. I haven't played much yet, My longest survival was 7 days so far. The enemies are all unique from giant spiders to long legged, one eye birds that will murder you if you take their eggs(earned that the hard way). There is no real story to speak of.
    There isn't to much more to say really. The game as a pretty dark mood to it. The gameplay is addictive, and the visual for this game are great. I wish it would go more n depth with the story though. The video at the beginning didn't make any sense. I look forward to playing this game a lot more.
  14. Jan 16, 2014
    This really felt like a lazy port from the PC, with most of the controls, and especially the item crafting/selection being very unintuitive with a controller. It's also very frustrating, where you die many times with almost no way to learn from it, and your progress doesn't save at all. The last time I played it, I survived for many days, but I still couldn't really build anything new, and my heart meter kept getting lower, but I couldn't figure out any way to fill it more than a tiny bit. Then I died when I first got to an area that had a crazy amount of killer bees that attacked on site, and then this large group of brand new enemies that also attacked me on site. This would be fine in a normal game where you respawned, or even if you were able to find your body and get back all of your items. However, Don't Starve has Permadeath, which makes the whole game pointless. If I actually kept playing it, I could survive in game for weeks, and then randomly die because I got to a new dangerous section and couldn't get away quick enough. Most of all, the game just isn't fun, and I definitely wouldn't recommend buying it, although it's worth a try if you have PS+. Expand
  15. Jan 8, 2014
    At first I expected to get bored of this game, as I've never really tried 'perma death/ trial & error'' type games. But I was totally wrong. The reward for figuring things out is great, much better than ''Follow icon' type games. I absolutely love the art style & music. I've laughed & generally jumped whilst playing the game. 5 hours just vanished while I was playing the game, I just can't stop playing. It's now the game I play the most on PS4. I got it free via PS+, but I might grab a bit of merch just so I can support the developers! Great game, highly recommended :D Expand
  16. Jan 11, 2014
    what a let down. this game came out 5 months ago on PC, it's been easy to get for about $2.50 via trading on steam for AGES. on top of that it's nowhere near a next gen game. this could run on PS3 no problem...

it's basically a bit better graphics than a flash game. the gameplay is ok, but like i said it's been old news for a while. this isn't really how to win customers over. pretty weak.
  17. Jan 10, 2014
    This is a challenging, no-holding-hands, punishing, rogue-like survival game, make no mistake. No guidance is given, and for me, that is a strength. So is the unique art style. Once you accept this punishing aspect, and the fact that you need to constantly be aware of and explore your environment and meticulously track your supplies, and that to succeed you need to do these things over and over, alongside the excellent exploratory nature of the land, the game really opens up and is fun for those who like that sort of thing. Expand
  18. Jan 9, 2014
    Fantastic game, really nice to play something unique and its a nice break from the usual games I play. People voting it with 0's are just silly fanboys so please ignore that. I really recommend you give this game a try! Its relatively cheap on PSN or free for PS+ so no reason not to
  19. Jan 26, 2014
    Quite a grim depressing atmosphere. Starting from scratch after each death made me feel like I was completely wasting my time. And introducing killer hounds just when things start to go well was the last straw. Quite an unsatisfying experience.
  20. Jan 12, 2014
    Don't starve is a very addicting, mysterious, and haunting game. It has a very unique and charming look to it, and the gameplay is challenging and fun. I've put hours into it and I'm still hooked.
  21. Jan 8, 2014
    While slightly addictive, the game could use a little tweaking. The randomness of the maps is both a positive and a hinderance. At times you may need something simple and starve before you find it, then the very next map you are overloaded with it and short on something else. You spend quite a bit of time just trying to stay fed.

I can't really complain much since it is included in
    PS+ membership. Expand
  22. Jan 10, 2014
    I would like to say that this is one of my favorite survival games ever made to date, but I am not sure that is completely true. It is exceedingly well made and designed and ever so charming, but most of my interest in it was based on how deceiving the last of those aspects is. The art style is great and the music is quirky and amusing, but that is really all that stands out. I am not at all saying the game is bad but when it comes to actual game play it does not overly define itself as new or innovative. Like all games it has a few aspects that are different but they are few. As of this point in time the creations in the game are few, the creatures are few and the options are few. They have made winter for example into an impassable barrier for any who are not veterans and for me at least, it is unsatisfying to remove winter through editing the world. Overall the game has fantastic potential but at it's current stage (have not kept up with the updates lately) I am not overly riveted. Expand
  23. Jan 14, 2014
    The graphics in this game are very unique. They remind me of a Tim Burton movie. The game in general is pretty cool and is something you will go back to and play often. This game reminded me of a better version of minecraft. Get this!
  24. Feb 17, 2014
    While I didn't enjoy Don't Starve, there's nothing technically wrong with it in terms of graphics and gameplay. I can see how some people would enjoy it but I found it boring. It would make a great tablet game.
  25. Jan 29, 2014
    Having ironed out pretty much on PC already, PS4 version is a well refined version. the similar game on Playstation will be Tokyo Jungle, with the same concept of SURVIVAL. It is way much deeper, relatable and real progression all in all.

A "steep" curve i would say but a rewarding journey if you persevere on. all the little touches of crafting/building/farming, ultimately surviving is
    really intriguing and fun.

Plus the back stories/abilities of each characters are really well "written" and you will definitely empathise with.

Loving it!
  26. Jan 15, 2014
    Ok, Before Don't Starve came out I thought it looked terrible. I never seen any PC gameplay so the PS4 version was a first for me.
    Downloaded it because I am a plus subscriber and its free, Because of my first opinion just based on how the game looked I don't think I would ever have paid for it.

Wow, How wrong I was. The first 5-10 minutes on the game I hated it, I died and didn't
    really know what I was doing. I took off what monsters I could on settings and had another play. Now, Im loving it. Ive got the hang of the game after about 1 hour and Its super addictive.

All I need to do now is unlock Wes and Maxwell, Wes is near impossible to find. Only 0.1% of people have unlocked him. Ive been searching adventure mode for days now. And Maxwell, I think I can unlock but I want to find Wes first.

Honestly, I seriously hope the developers for Don't Starve make another game as I would be one of the first people to download it.
    Great Game, and I think the people who are moaning about a small game like this need to realise that the PS4 is still a brand new console. We are not going to receive Assassins Creed 4 for free anytime soon. Please get a grip.
    I loved Resogun, Contrast and now Don't Starve. Sony Keep up the good work, And don't let the adult babies cloud your judgement on what games the fans want because right now its going perfect.... for me anyway.

Im giving Don't Starve a 9, as it has a lot of replay value and I really enjoy it. Just not a 10 because I can't find Wes.

BTW I rate Indie games 0-10 on an indie game basis, AAA titles have a different 0-1 score because obviously Don't Starve is not in the same league as the likes of GTA5, The Last of Us etc.
  27. Feb 20, 2014
    It's okay. Kind of addictive and quite fun, but I miss the sense of purpose of playing it. Why am I doing it? There's practically no goal, which takes away from the point of playing games for me.
  28. Mar 12, 2014
    I can see the appeal, but this game isn't for me, I find it boring and it has been done before. Making a fire and collecting items etc... Nothing special in my eyes. I don't have much to say about the game other than,, I don't find it very fun in the slightest..
  29. Jan 11, 2014
    This is a great little game. This is one for people who want to explore a world and try and survive. This is not a game for people who want their hands held as there are no instructions given. The only instruction is that you don't starve. If you are impatient and get annoyed easily then this game probably not for you. Me, I am finding this game very addictive.
  30. Feb 5, 2014
    This game is well made but not for me. It feels like a job. A job where you feel like if you forgot to do one of the tedious tasks you will die. There is no end. So it is just you acquiring stuff to build other stuff for the eventual death that is coming. It is sadly like life. I rather play a game that doesn't remind my life is just about doing tedious tasks until my eventual death.
  31. May 6, 2014
    People who don't understand this game and give it scores of 0, 1, etc., go play COD. This game is based on pure strategy and if you have the wits to survive the first three months then it becomes much easier. In the meantime, there are MANY tools to resurrect. Just build them. The game is a fresh breath among games that are only clones of one another. It's a 9 for me.
  32. Mar 28, 2014
    This game its not for everyone.. not even me. Not fun at all. You die a lot but you never get that understanding or experience feeling like in Dark souls.
    Playing it feels like a chore, Its annoying, boring and frustrating. Got it for free with my PSN plus and I deleted it right away.
  33. Jan 24, 2014
    Anyone who see's this game as a 'mini game' doesn't understand it. this game is huge and expansive and a great pick up and play game out during the down time.
  34. Apr 2, 2014
    This game is crazy-awesomely-difficult. It takes time to seriously learn how to survive in this game. The art and music are amazing and the overall aesthetic in the game is phenomenal. My GF and I have been playing this game all week and its the most played game on our PS4. If you stay away from just reading EVERYTHING off Wiki's and invest some time in this game you will have a lot of game here. The game is about exploration and learning and it succeeds in this department in spades. Expand
  35. Jan 18, 2014
    Don't starve is now available on PS4 to Playstation plus members for free. When it released, I downloaded it not knowing what I'd get into. I started playing, I loved the art style of this game, and when I got into it, I found myself playing an amazing game with a scary atmosphere. You collect resources in the day and evening, then just before it hits night, you make a campfire. Why? Because YOU WILL DIE if you don't. If you want a thought and challenging survival horror experience, go grab this for free! Expand
  36. Jan 13, 2014
    Don't Starve is the PERFECT game for the old-school gamer. Brutally tough in the beginning, no tutorial or guide, but after tinkering for a few hours you really start to feel like you're actually doing the one thing you're supposed to do...SURVIVE!!! There's nothing more satisfying than starting out with nothing & in a couple hours see all your experimentation & exploration pay off. Those new age gamers who rely completely on a hand-holding, "follow the arrow on screen" sort of experience will probably hate Don't Starve, and I LOVE it for that. Too many games in the modern era are dumbed down for the lowest common denominator & it's incredibly refreshing to see a game that's very clearly designed for the inventive & inquisitive mind!!! :)

The only drawback is there is no coop whatsoever & admittedly the first thing I wanted to do after learning things through hours of trial & error is share this info you have paid for with your life in many cases!! lol There is a desperate sense of loneliness that feeds into the atmosphere of the game wonderfully, although you are left feeling wanting of a partner to share in the despair...great game, awesome addition to the FREE GAME LIBRARY!!!!!
  37. Jan 30, 2014
    A nice way to spend your time. Really enjoy the Tim Burton theme it seems to have. The world is always randomly generated so you're never in the same area twice. The permadeath feature might turn some people off (especially when you've invested dozens of hours into a single character) but it's one of the more unique games released for the PS4. if you're a PLUS member, check it out. If not, you should probably wait until it drops to $5-10. Expand
  38. Feb 5, 2014
    Don't Starve has some fun elements. It's easy to draw some parallels to Minecraft but there's clearly more pressure here. I found myself very frustrated and ill-at-ease with this game. If I had a poor spawn point with low resources, you run around aimlessly until you luck-out or die. If the pressure was taken down a few notches, I think I could enjoy this title. As is, it was too stressful for my leisure time. In the games defense, I only played for one afternoon before throwing in the towel. Expand
  39. Mar 18, 2014
    addictive with a side of painful. On my very first time playing this i died because i didn't get a fire up in time. On my second time around i starved (top lel). Every time i died i'd restart and start and just get better and better each time i'd collect things faster and faster and make it a little further and further each time. I really liked the art style and the sound track. The game never ceases to surprise me almost every time i play i see something i didn't see before. Overall it's really enjoyable and challenging as long as you don't mind perma-death you should really get this game. Expand
  40. Feb 5, 2014
    Have stopped playing after 3 hours gameplay.
    Cute and classic art style is almost the only aspect I can praise the game for.
    The game is with lots of annoying inconvenience.
    For example, you can only craft advanced items near a science machine, forcing you to build lots of machines over the map if you don't want to waste time traveling far back to a machine, but the trade-off is more
    repeatedly picking and chopping for materials (still boring and time wasting).
    Also, The map is unnecessarily big. What is worse is the map is randomly created each time, so for every new game, you have to waste lots of time to investigate where to go for certain materials. And there is no way for aimed fast travel except that randomly set bug hole.
    The bag storage is far from enough, you always have to drop this for that, and when you need this, you have to recollect (of course you can choose to remember the place you dropped the items then travel far back to re-pick them but this will be more boring). The ridiculous is the chest for extra storage totally doesn't make sense because when you want something stored in the chest you have been very far from the chest, so what is difference between storing item in chest and dropping item on ground?
    Most of time, you feel you are just doing what you have done rather than a feeling of true level-up.
  41. Jan 30, 2014
    If you want to know what it would be like to survive alone in a forest full of "monsters" then this game is for you , a pretty much perfect port of the pc version that plays quite well , you will need to work hard to survive and earn that XP to unlock different characters with different abilities like Speed & Strength , Graphicly i think it might have been able to run on a ps3 just fine , but the game does look decently good with cartoon like characters kind of reminding me of Corpse Bride the movie , the question is , will you be able to survive ? Expand
  42. Jan 12, 2014
    This game is amazing. I never owned don't starve on pc , but the beautiful graphics and addictive gameplay had me hooked the moment I pressed x (as in the button). At the moment I am playing as wolfgang and have made it to day 11 which is a new record for me. I've died about 30 times and have never even seen a bunnyman. Sometimes when you think you're just about to make it back to you're to base the darkness strikes. Other times you might anger a community of pigmen or get trapped by a bunch of tentacles. There are so many ways to die in this game that some times I it will make you want to beat up your console and throw it in the bin. I recommend this game to anyone that enjoys devastatingly difficult sand box survival games. How ever the game play can get quite tedious after a while. Expand
  43. Jan 13, 2014
    A very well-made game with a great artwork. This game is one of the best survival games out there! The idea of having to survive by hunting animals for food, growing your own crops, avoiding or fighting monsters, and having to go through extreme weather conditions makes this game very complete in the area of survival games. It is really fun to play and keeps the player entertained a lot. The only thing this game is missing is a co-op-split screen mode so that one can enjoy the game much more by playing it with friends and family having to help each other for survival, this will unleash the game's full potential and make the game much bigger in the market. Expand
  44. Feb 22, 2014
    Gameplay: Nothing interesting to see here. Just another twist on the Minecraft/survival/"lel so indie" trends we've been seeing for the past 5 years.
    Although, I'll admit that the game can cause serious urgency when the character's sanity gets low.
    But that hardly effects the gameplay.
    Unlike Minecraft, it is a very hectic game and requires the player to focus on multiple things at
    once. However, after doing this again and again, it can get very boring.

Gameplay: 0/10

The controls are near perfect. However, it took me a while to figure out how to set traps in this game. It would've been easier to work out, if there was a prompt to set the trap.
    Also, walking around would feel more satisfying if the walking animation was more fluid.

Controls: 8/10

Yet again, the art style is also a rip off. The game tries to capture the Tim Burton aesthetic. And although it works well with the themes of this game, it's certainly not original.

Aesthetic: 6/10

This game is an indie, so it isn't aiming for a huge technical/graphical target. The game works well, 1080p and 60fps, and I have not encountered any glitches.

Technical: N/A

Although the music works well for the game, the sound effects can become annoying (especially the main character's voice.)

Sound and Music: 3/10

There are no tutorials. No effort has been made to teach the player how to play the game. Abysmal.

User Experience.Tutorials: 0/10

For an 2D indie game with a false portrayal of length, I wouldn't pay more than £5 for this game. It's £12. Abysmal.

Price: 1/10

Overall I think that this game is not for me. But I think that other people could easily enjoy this game if they have the patience to play it over and over again and is willing to pay for the absurd price.

Overall: 3/10
  45. Mar 8, 2014
    The game takes survival games to a whole new level, complete with Tim Burton-esque artistic themes everywhere.

The game's instructions are simple enough "Don't Starve." Well, it is a little more complicated than that. Don't starve. Or get eaten. Or get impaled. Or drown. And be very afraid of the dark. (And evil mushrooms are very very bad.) The game essentially has no rules outside of
    the constraints of the controls given to you.

I had the experience on the PS4 Console rendition of the game, and I can say that I thoroughly enjoyed it. The first several times you play, you will find yourself solely learning the controls and basic principles of gameplay, which none are spelled out. This is not detrimental to the game, rather it is instrumental in setting up the atmosphere of the game.

There are a few quirks. A lot of time was taken to make the game deep enough for decent replay value. The game may tend to get a little repetitive at times, but the gameplay itself is smooth enough to make the experience an enjoyable one. Some will hate it, some will love the challenge it presents. It is a game that will try patience.

The game's inventory selections are not the best. The toolbars for inventory and crafting run in real time (more or less). The interaction seems to become frustrating after a while, especially once you have over 25 items and multiple places for storage. It is not something that hinders complete enjoyment of the game, but is cause for some slight frustration when you start to get time crunched later in the day cycle.

As an experience of a game, I give the game a huge thumbs up. I would highly recommend the game to anyone looking for something new. The game is a breathe of fresh air in the overcrowded military shooter market of modern consoles and is an indie game well worth the price of admission.
  46. Mar 5, 2014
    I played this game because I was bored and it was free from PS+ so I figured why not, wasn't really expecting much. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that not only was the game fun and challenging but highly addictive. I started in sandbox mode and eventually played through all of adventure mode finishing the game. I found it much more satisfying finishing this game then most other games in recent memory simply due to the fact that if you died it was over and there was no going back. It made the game much more challenging but very rewarding at the same time. This game may not be for everyone but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Expand
  47. Mar 10, 2014
    This was a really fun game for me. it kinda reminded me of minecraft when I first began to play but I really didn't care. Also it had a good art style and atmosphere. You must download this game on your ps4 because it's a good ps plus game and i'm glad I could get it for free.
  48. Mar 31, 2014
    I understand the appeal, but I found it to be rather boring, was just a scavenging game with a basic 'Rinse, Lather, Repeat' type of play, constantly building fires and making axes. I don't like the fact that when you die you loose everything and I really didn't enjoy it overall.

However the game is aesthetically pleasing and can be fun if it is to your taste, however it wasn't to mine
  49. Apr 2, 2014
    My first two runs at Don't Starve had me worried that I wouldn't like it. If died after an hour of playing and lost everything, but the game was teaching me a lesson. It was teaching me how to survive. After playing this game for 40+ hours, it is one of my favorite PS4 games. It is incredibly deep. I'm still running into new enemies, new ways to play and survive. The only downside for Don't Starve is the time investment it requires to get enjoyment out of the game. If you can sink some real hours into it, you will learn to love the game and how it teaches you to be smart and adapt. If you don't put in the time, you won't have a lot of fun with Don't Starve. Expand
  50. Aug 27, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. "AHHHHHH! A queen Spider!!!" was my last words before i dies on day 63, my new record! Don't Starve is a fun indie game that i snagged for free as the free game of the month, but i would gladly pay full price for this survival scroller game. this game continues to surprise me. i left my base for 3 days and when i came back all the pigs were werepigs. some people don't appreciate this for what it is. this is loads of fun for everyone and i hope the multiplayer comes out soon because that would be amazing! great game defiantly a buy! Expand
  51. Sep 20, 2014
    Beautiful.. from Tim Burton with hate!
    This is one of those games that can be so much better in the future based on players opinions and tips who gave the Klei to make it smoother and easier!

1. Great games have a simple concept and message. Don’t Starve will leave you feeling full. [March 2014, p78]
  2. Feb 26, 2014
    Don't Starve is a tremendously addictive game where the fight for the survival, mixed with exploring several places with its own magic, throw the player into searching every corner of the map. However, it is extremely hard from the very beginning, so there will be many players thinking twice before going on with their adventures.
  3. Feb 16, 2014
    Probably not a game for everyone. The pace can at times be very low, and the developers could've thrown in more surprises. But it's a title that is hard to put down once you've gotten into it.