• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Nov 15, 2013
6.9

1. Dec 13, 2013
    this game has a bad bad story. gfx are nice but trhe gameplay is truly horrendous and boring. I would rather sit there watch paint dry than play this game. I was expecting sooo much and this was the biggest letdown ever.
  2. Apr 5, 2014
    Huge let down. A lot of great idea's - however most couldn't have been executed more poorly.

In 30 years of gaming - I have never taken what's supposed to be a top tier game out of the console prior to completion - this was a first.

Whoever came up with the free fall sections - should be fired.
  3. May 17, 2014
    I had really high hopes for this game. My mistake.

I found the story really dull and boring. During the whole story I never once was amazed by what happened or interested in what there is to come. The characters are the same as the story, I never felt interested in what happens to them. Dull! The graphics are good, but not very good. Granted, I finished Infamous right before so my
    I had really high hopes for this game. My mistake.

The graphics are good, but not very good. Granted, I finished Infamous right before so my standards were probably pretty high. But still, I wasn't impressed.

The gameplay is what drags it down even more if you ask me. Very repetitive, chaotic and often extremely frustrating. Even when you manage to overcome a difficult situation, there is no reward, no sense of pride, just more of the same gameplay. Ugh, frustrating and boring at the same time.

It's been a long time since I've been so dissapointed by a game.
  4. Jun 8, 2014
    This review will come from a ones killzone lover, ps2 and ps3 games were amazing, the stories were mind driven, and great graphics.

Shadow Fall ones however failed to impress. With a story that makes no sense, and no connection to previous games of the franchise (or pretty bad ones) it was a deal breaker for me. Amazing graphics? check, facial expressions? check, balanced

Shadow Fall ones however failed to impress.

Amazing graphics? check, facial expressions? check, balanced multiplayer? not really.
    Story that makes sense? nope.

[multiplayer]
    Even the season pass wont be worth 20 bucks, the updates are slow, the balance fixes are slow, and the devs aint seem to be that active at talking to fans about the game.

2/10 - The E3 trails looked better the the final project, such a shame..
  5. Nov 25, 2013
    Kill zone is awesome as always. This time, the graphics are insane, Gameplay is fluid, and multi-player rocks. There are some software issues that should be addressed but other than that....... Great job on this game.
  6. Nov 21, 2013
    The graphics are amazing. That's pretty much it. That's all the game has going for it. The multiplayer is exactly the same as the last two games in the series. The single player is boring to the point of exhaustion. Little variety in the environments, and weapons adds to this. The story is also really uninteresting.
  7. Jan 26, 2014
    The difference between multiplayer and campaign are as wide as the Atlantic. Online is balanced perfectly and a lot of fun. great map design and cool abilities.
    The campaign is among the most frustrating gaming experiences your'e likely to have. Too many enemies thrown at you and no way to tell which way they're going to come from. You are given a cover mechanic but not given any cover. The level design is horrible and complicated which will cause you to get lost very often.
    For some reason they thought it would be a good idea to include platform jumping levels which will cause way to many deaths. The in flight controls are loose and counter intuitive.
    Checkpoints will cause you to replay long gun fights over and over again.
    This game almost made me throw my controller.
  8. Nov 18, 2013
    Worst game campaign ever. I hated the singlerplayer, but the multiplayer experience saved the game. Killzone just have beatiful graphics, but the gameplay isn't attractive.
  9. Nov 18, 2013
    The good things: Fantastic Graphics, feels next gen, wonderful multiplayer, great guns, responsive controls, and a great atmosphere.
    The bad things: Story is not par, no innovative game mechanics, touch pad owl is unnecessary, singleplayer alone would never come close to justifying the price. and although the guns are great, I wish there were more.
    Over all I think Killzone Shadow fall

Over all I think Killzone Shadow fall is the game to get if you have gotten your hands on a PS4 already, the graphics will leave you in awe, high res textures, wonderful particle effects, and awesome facial expressions. The multiplayer is by far the high point in this game, (one of the most enjoyable fps multiplayer games I have played), but if that alone is enough to justify the price i'm not sure, if you play fps games on multiplayer an hour or more a day I would definitely recommend it.
  10. Nov 19, 2013
    Killzone: Shadowfall is a satisfying component to my ps4, delivering excellent visuals which showcase the power of the new system. The campaign is a healthy length but it fails to impress me due to its weak plot. I absolutely love the gameplay; its so engaging, fast paced and entertaining. The audio is strong, packed with excellent SFX and Soundtracks. After the campaign I dived intoKillzone: Shadowfall is a satisfying component to my ps4, delivering excellent visuals which showcase the power of the new system. The campaign is a healthy length but it fails to impress me due to its weak plot. I absolutely love the gameplay; its so engaging, fast paced and entertaining. The audio is strong, packed with excellent SFX and Soundtracks. After the campaign I dived into multiplayer which is where my fun ended with horrible connections and service. It took minutes to get into a lobby just for the game to exit with an error message.

Overall I suggest leaving this game for single player only and give multiplayer a miss (until a patch is released) and you should have a good time.
  11. Dec 29, 2013
    This is what the next-gen games should be. Heavily story-driven no matter the genre. Based on very interesting and important ideas. Made with excellent production quality.

Killzone: Shadow Fall has all of this. It's based on thoughts about wars, what actually cause them, how easy is to start them, how hard is to stop them, and what role pride and fear have in all of this. It has interesting scenario full of unexpected turn of events. The characters in this story look truly alive. The world looks vast and beautiful even through the gameplay leads us through the very small playable areas (stunning dynamic backgrounds do exactly what they were designed for). The gameplay itself utilizes diverse and interesting mechanics. Sounds and music are truly great.

The new standards were set. And I really doubt many devs will be able to produce such amazing games...
  12. May 29, 2014
    Graphics: 7.2 Sound: 7.5 Gameplay: 7.2 Fun/Story: 7.0

An average game, some disappointment with graphics and story. Of course it doesn´t look bad and it has some nice effects and landscapes but PS4 has power for much more.
  13. Nov 16, 2013
    Decent but nothing special really. Standard, immemorable shooter with a nice premise but bad story. The multiplayer is better than the single player but not even that will be remembered for very long. The graphics are very good but with the power of the PS4, games are going to start looking even much better than this.
    Overall, I don't know if it's worth the price. I have a feeling I just
    Overall, I don't know if it's worth the price. I have a feeling I just spent $65.00 on just another Perfect Dark.
  14. Dec 21, 2013
    The gameplay is so linear and boring. Not to mention the AI is the worst I have seen on next gen so far. The graphics are the best on PS4, but definitely not worth picking up.
  15. Nov 18, 2013
    By far one of the best Killzones (and even FPSs) that I've ever played. If you are hesitant on buying the game, at least hear me out and decide for yourself. I encourage everyone to look at multiple reviews instead of just lazily picking one review and deciding not to buy the game.

I'll start with the single player. It's a step up from KZ2 and KZ3 (unless you enjoyed those two). It's definitely not linear like KZ2/3 in that the maps are much bigger and you are given choices as to how to infiltrate enemy territory. As a Shadow Marshall, your best choice is to play it discreet and to try to avoid going Rambo on a platoon of Helghast as opposed to KZ2/3 where you basically go CoDdudebro throughout those campaigns. And personally, I like it. You also have a robotic weapon companion called the OWL which basically acts as your personal drone and life support. It really comes in handy for those parts where you're up against many Helghast in that you can set the OWL to attack enemies and distract them while you take out the rest.

The game's story progresses in chapters and each chapter is a new map/level. The game mixes between Vekta/New Helghan maps and space maps where you're in an ISA Cruiser or a giant space laboratory. Personally, I absolutely LOVED the chapters in space. The feel, the atmosphere and the art direction in those chapters felt very sci-fi eery; almost like Metroid Prime (which I find to be a very good thing). I loved going through the abandoned ISA Cruiser and reading the eery messages that the crew left behind on the walls, especially this one downright disturbing Audiolog in one of the rooms which simply captured the atmosphere perfectly. I won't go behind the story in those chapters since they're somewhat spoilers. The soundtrack in this game is also amazing and won't disappoint since it also seems to capture that 'Metroid Prime' feel that I described earlier.

The controls in Shadow Fall also don't feel as heavy as they did in KZ2/3. Controls are responsive; swiping the touch pad to give your OWL orders is easy. Shooting feels great. The only thing they could have worked on more was the cover system but other than that, gameplay is pretty much flawless IMO.

Multiplayer is pretty much a blast. They incorporated new game mechanics like shields and speed power ups. It's your standard Killzone MP but with much more game modes incorporated into it. Weapons and game searches are customizable. It's much faster getting into an MP match. Map designs are also new and they even include a few old ones from KZ2/3 such as the map "Ruins".

All in all, I very much enjoyed my time with Killzone Shadow Fall and will continue to do so for MP. The graphics are downright amazing and mesmerizing and runs very fluidly at a consistent framerate AND in 1080p. Pick this game up if you're getting a PS4.
  16. Dec 15, 2013
    I think Guerilla Games probably licenced the Call of Duty Engine to make this game because everything looked like a COD game. Everything from the graphics, lightning, textures, character models looked like COD. I bet this could have easily been made on the PS3. The city vistas look like static images and backgrounds. You will never be exploring them. The guns are very few and look likeI think Guerilla Games probably licenced the Call of Duty Engine to make this game because everything looked like a COD game. Everything from the graphics, lightning, textures, character models looked like COD. I bet this could have easily been made on the PS3. The city vistas look like static images and backgrounds. You will never be exploring them. The guns are very few and look like toys. The main character is a fool. The other characters have no idea or what to do. The Owl is a nuisance. And the overall story sucks. Absolutely horrible. This could have been titled Killzone Call of Shadow Ghosts Expand
  17. Nov 18, 2013
    This is a totally average game. The story is interesting, but without many large moments, each mission feels the same as the last: Go here and kill this. I like the stealth-ish gameplay, but I wish that it required crouching or hiding in shadows. I haven't played online, but I finished the campaign. When the final credits started to roll, I was satisfied with the story, but I don't everThis is a totally average game. The story is interesting, but without many large moments, each mission feels the same as the last: Go here and kill this. I like the stealth-ish gameplay, but I wish that it required crouching or hiding in shadows. I haven't played online, but I finished the campaign. When the final credits started to roll, I was satisfied with the story, but I don't ever see myself returning. Expand
  18. Dec 12, 2013
    Looks pretty but the game play is confusing and the story line was garbage online sucked don't waste you're time on this game. None of the weapons were any good I was just confused the whole time not fun
  19. Sep 19, 2014
    This sort of complete rubbish game is making me regret buying a PS4. How can gaming companies relase s@#$ like this nowdays. The story sucks, the characters are unliakble. The levels are boring and don't look as goof as anything from PC for the last few years. Random parts of the game have"bosses" with nfi what is going on. No explaination about what your charater is doing and then you getThis sort of complete rubbish game is making me regret buying a PS4. How can gaming companies relase s@#$ like this nowdays. The story sucks, the characters are unliakble. The levels are boring and don't look as goof as anything from PC for the last few years. Random parts of the game have"bosses" with nfi what is going on. No explaination about what your charater is doing and then you get things like this free fall with 0 explaination how to not die at the end of it after countless deaths, it requires looking on forums to find out go for some slightly shiny spot, that might work. Please stop making games, was free with the PS4 and Im just going to sell this rubbish, not even worth completing as there has been no charcter development anyway. Expand
  20. Feb 8, 2014
    This game is hands down the best next generation game out so far. It's graphics exceed anything a console has ever done, It looks amazing and sharp. On top of the graphics, the gameplay is top notch. Playing the campaign was fun, and multiplayer will have you coming back for years, not weeks.
  21. Mar 11, 2014
    Al show not a single ounce of good gameplay in this cinematic shooter. The ai is terrible and the setpieces are unbelievably boring. I feel sleep dirng the campaing.
  22. Nov 16, 2013
    Started off fun and faded throughout with a few fun moments. There were a few occasions were I was able to reach areas in a map which I became stuck and could not move. Had to restart from prior checkpoint in order to continue.
  23. Nov 24, 2013
    Click the link of the profile of people giving this game zeroes. They gave the X1 launch games tens while giving the ps4 launch games zeroes.

As far as the critics, they said this game and BF4 had mediocre campaigns, yet the bad campaign in BF4 held no weight in its score. Hmm... kind of hard to take reviews seriously, now.
  24. Feb 20, 2015
    This game was 6 hours and boring! If I could trade this game in for an Xbox one and I would be the happiest person in the world because I was on the PlayStation hype train and Sony has failed me for the last time.
  25. Jan 27, 2014
  26. Sep 15, 2014
    This was the first game I purchased with my PS4. After playing the game for a weekend I got quickly bored and frustrated. Due to the many updates I can no longer even play this game on my ps4. I am very disappointed in this game.
  27. Apr 13, 2014
    The most boring launch game title ever released..... The single player is unplayable, it's so boring that I couldn't finish it and I don't intend to... I haven't given a chance to the multiplayer, although the most of review say the multiplayer saves the game. Don't waste your money and time in it.
  28. Aug 8, 2014
    Guerrilla Game's self proclaimed "halo killer' launches alongside the release of Sony's PS4. In an attempt to steal the thunder from Microsoft's storied halo franchise, Killzone Shadow Fall has instead been the killer of it's own franchise.
  29. Nov 24, 2013
    The worst Killzone. Killzone 2, 3 and Mercenary are so much better. The level design and storytelling in Shadow Fall are absolutely abysmal. Avoid this game.
  30. Nov 19, 2013
    Something that doesn't disappoint in Killzone: Shadow Fall is its attention to detail and overall scenery. It feels like the entire world was handcrafted from the best that Guerrilla Games could put forth. However, the game itself will you leave you wanting more from an otherwise sub-par launch title. Ranging from poorly done AI, to a multiplayer that feels like a mix between CoD andSomething that doesn't disappoint in Killzone: Shadow Fall is its attention to detail and overall scenery. It feels like the entire world was handcrafted from the best that Guerrilla Games could put forth. However, the game itself will you leave you wanting more from an otherwise sub-par launch title. Ranging from poorly done AI, to a multiplayer that feels like a mix between CoD and Killzone, the game isn't without it's flaws. Expand
  31. dz9
    Nov 21, 2013
    I have mixed feelings about Killzone: Shadow Fall. It's an absolutely gorgeous detail oriented fps with so much going for it but the developers just forget to get the basics correct. As stated, this title gives us a good glimpse at what the ps4 can do visually, combine the lighting with the smooth shooting animations that feel real as compared to COD and battlefield, and you got aI have mixed feelings about Killzone: Shadow Fall. It's an absolutely gorgeous detail oriented fps with so much going for it but the developers just forget to get the basics correct. As stated, this title gives us a good glimpse at what the ps4 can do visually, combine the lighting with the smooth shooting animations that feel real as compared to COD and battlefield, and you got a stunning looking game. Even the gameplay perspective, compared to its predecessors the core gameplay is a definite improvement to an already outstanding formula. The multiplayer is really cool, nothing that necessarily stands out and let's be honest, you could get a better multiplayer experience from COD or Battlefield but that doesn't mean K:SF's is bad. But where the game plummets is in the campaign mode, mainly in horrible level design. The game immerses you with its visuals but giving you a waypoint or a good inclination on where to go somehow slips its mind. For the most part, the levels are rather open with multiple paths to take and explore, which normally would be a good thing but Shadow Fall never truly gives you a good sense of where you're going and if you don't go the scripted way you'll fall into a group of enemies and enter a lack luster shooting set piece. The huge maps almost ruin the gun fights, you never seem to be in the right space to run behind cover to have an epic shootout. The game briefly does however provide a waypoint but it goes away and you have to press a button to retrieve it again which breaks up the action and tension the game tries to build by constantly having to pause the game for something that should be a given. In the End: This game shows what the ps4 is capable of. It's stunning visuals combined with the core gameplay and amazing use of the touchpad make it a spectacle to behold. And although not the best on the market, the online is a nice addition to the package. But with the awful campaign that leaves you back tracking unintentionally and never providing a good sense of direction or progression, this is a game to watch the trailer for to see what the ps4 is capable of, to maybe purchase the console in the future. As of now, skip this title completely. Expand
  32. Nov 19, 2013
    Considering this game killed my PS4 while playing it, I can't recommend it. I had gotten towards the end of it (all signs in the story were pointing to it) and even then, it was pretty bland and was far too short to enjoy.
  33. Nov 20, 2013
    Whilst the graphics on this game are quite good for a next gen game, the way this game plays is unbelievably bad. I cant think of a game with worse gameplay and story.

Avoid this game like the plague.
  34. Nov 22, 2013
    This game sucks really bad. To think, I bought a PS4 just to play this POS. Bought it on the strength of Killzone 2 and 3 which were both great. I think Killzone 2 may be my favorite shooter of all time.

Well, they really blew it with this turkey. What good are fancy graphics if the game play sucks. It seems like they copied the worst features of other games. Lots of pain in the ass puzzles and navigation issues and not enough shooting.

And the graphics. Why does everything have to be a smoky hazy mess? They copied the haze and smoke of Crysis 3, and the dirt of Battlefield 4. There are much better graphics around and you don't need a PS4. Just look at "The Last of Us" or "COD Ghosts".

Getting a PS4 to play this piece of garbage was clearly a mistake. I think I will return the PS4 and wait until some decent games are available for it. I can probably trade in the POS Shadow Fall at Gamestop for a decent price.

So that's it for me. The end of the Killzone series. What a disappointment.
  35. Nov 24, 2013
    killzone shadow fall is a crap game because if you played the last game all of are crap. last gen game have better multilayer battlefield 3 on Xbox and ps3 more fun
  36. Nov 20, 2013
    The game is pretty good, addictive multiplayer for hours, but here's the story campaign disappointed it is boring, banal and nothing intriguing, is crude AI opponents and at least a bad level design. Despite the fact that the locations of large sizes, the enemies are usually very small, so that they provide a threat to the player. It's sad, considering that the game was supposed to beThe game is pretty good, addictive multiplayer for hours, but here's the story campaign disappointed it is boring, banal and nothing intriguing, is crude AI opponents and at least a bad level design. Despite the fact that the locations of large sizes, the enemies are usually very small, so that they provide a threat to the player. It's sad, considering that the game was supposed to be one of the main reasons to buy a new console.
    Shadow Fall does not offer anything new or unusual, and it is the ordinary shooter, from which many are tired
  37. Feb 25, 2014
    Big fan of Killzone 2, enjoyed Killzone 3 a lot, this game....just terrible. Couldn't bring myself to play past the second stage. Gunplay, level design, and AI completely lacking. Graphics are nice but they only served to make me realize that graphics are as important as I thought they were. The game is so bad it made me question my love of gaming in general and whether console gamingBig fan of Killzone 2, enjoyed Killzone 3 a lot, this game....just terrible. Couldn't bring myself to play past the second stage. Gunplay, level design, and AI completely lacking. Graphics are nice but they only served to make me realize that graphics are as important as I thought they were. The game is so bad it made me question my love of gaming in general and whether console gaming as it is can survive. Yes, I have not played a game this boring since I can remember and the past years of playing quality have allowed me to forget that sometimes games are just stupid. Beware of releasing bad big profile,games, our industry, and the console industry in particular, is fragile. I know what GG was trying to accomplish, and if they did it would have been incredible, but they fell flat. In fact they failed at unprecedented levels, so much so, I can't believe GG made this game at all! I'll chock it up to being rushed. My love of the past two games makes me open to a sequel but Shadowfall is one of the worst games I've ever played. And I play A LOT of games. Expand
  38. Dec 9, 2013
    I think 8 is a fair score for this game, but it's hard to rate. The thing is, the stoy is dumb beyond belief. Seriously, I can't belive how bad the story is, embarassing. On the other hand, EVERYTHING else is top-notch. Unbelievable and gorgeous graphics, design, truly impressive. The gameplay is so much fun, every level is a blast! The sound in this game is also incredible and so is theI think 8 is a fair score for this game, but it's hard to rate. The thing is, the stoy is dumb beyond belief. Seriously, I can't belive how bad the story is, embarassing. On the other hand, EVERYTHING else is top-notch. Unbelievable and gorgeous graphics, design, truly impressive. The gameplay is so much fun, every level is a blast! The sound in this game is also incredible and so is the level design very very clever. If the story was better it could have been a timeless classic, now it feels somewhat flawed. But everything is so well made, it almost makes up for the brain dead story. Expand
  39. Dec 11, 2013
    It really is that bad, looks amazing but other than that it is a really poor shooter, dull as can be with poor AI. The only reason I stuck with it past the first few levels is lack of anything else to play but I just couldn't be bothered to finish it.
  40. dpc
    Nov 26, 2013
    There's a lot to love about Killzone on the PS4 the graphics are amazing, the story is engaging and the gameplay is fun. To be sure, there are also a few hiccups. The amazingly overpowered enemies can be frustrating and too often you're supposed to do something with no idea how to do it or where to go. And one thing I found a bit stupid is why would Lucas not just bring a sniper rifleThere's a lot to love about Killzone on the PS4 the graphics are amazing, the story is engaging and the gameplay is fun. To be sure, there are also a few hiccups. The amazingly overpowered enemies can be frustrating and too often you're supposed to do something with no idea how to do it or where to go. And one thing I found a bit stupid is why would Lucas not just bring a sniper rifle with him? He'd save the day in about 2 minutes but I guess that wouldn't make for a very good game. It's absence is pretty noticeable though, especially when the bad guys ALWAYS have one! Overall, a great game and one that I continually play on the PS4 despite having 7 other games. It's an excellent addition to kick off your new gaming system! Expand
  41. Feb 15, 2014
    1st- graphics are great , vibrant colours that really stand out but thats expected these days)
    the campaign lacks in a lot of places and doesn't really draw you in which is disappointing, there are some decent parts but mainly negative.
    the multiplayer is the biggest letdown for me. the gameplay is insanely feeble and slow. the main thing that infuriates me is you could be hammering people with a whole clip in the head, neck and torso and they wont die, yet they can walk up to you as your shooting them tap you on the shoulder with their gun and you die. it doesnt make sense to me. for some reason if they walk sideways they become bulletproof. LOAD OF BOLLOCKS
  42. Dec 23, 2013
    Great game, I truly enjoyed it alot, and it is a pretty good showcase for what the PS4 can do (at this point). There are a few things, which drag down the mark I guess, and those are mostly to do with odd deaths. Some, I guess, were due to bugs, others were design choices, but they could be quite frustrating. Other than that, I enjoyed the story, the pacing, the graphics, the sounds (theGreat game, I truly enjoyed it alot, and it is a pretty good showcase for what the PS4 can do (at this point). There are a few things, which drag down the mark I guess, and those are mostly to do with odd deaths. Some, I guess, were due to bugs, others were design choices, but they could be quite frustrating. Other than that, I enjoyed the story, the pacing, the graphics, the sounds (the music is really good imo) and the setting. Definitely worth a buy. This review is only for the SP, haven't tried the MP, I really suck at shooters with a controller in hand haha. Expand
  43. Nov 29, 2013
    What a great game after reading the reviews left by the critics I really did not expect much. But was I surprised this game is outstanding the graphics are jaw dropping the gameplay is great. This is a perfect game designed for the best console. Forget the negative reviews this game is simply awesome. All the negative reviews are xbox one gamers who cannot admit that the best games are only on ps4
  44. Feb 17, 2014
    As a single player game, Killzone: Shadow Fall is a huge letdown. It's by the books and doesn't do anything special to make you want to keep playing. It's primarily there to showcase how powerful the PS4 is. Killzone: Shadow Fall makes up for that with its stellar multiplayer though. Its implementation of classes and how it portrays warfare makes you want to keep playing. The graphics fromAs a single player game, Killzone: Shadow Fall is a huge letdown. It's by the books and doesn't do anything special to make you want to keep playing. It's primarily there to showcase how powerful the PS4 is. Killzone: Shadow Fall makes up for that with its stellar multiplayer though. Its implementation of classes and how it portrays warfare makes you want to keep playing. The graphics from the single player are a downgraded a bit, as with every other game, but still looks fantastic. Expand
  45. Jan 5, 2014
    I'm enjoying it. Its single player is often adventurous and alot of the missions are fun. The plot isnlt bad, but the way they've strung the missions together really draws you out of the experience. That and the reasonably poor ai (compared to past killzone games) makes the single player not worth playing more than once.

The multiplayer is amzing and its still just as good in that

The multiplayer is amzing and its still just as good in that reguard as any other Killzone game. The reason I played Killzone 2/3 was because of the multiplayer, and this game doesnt dissapoint. The classes are varied and it makes every match much more tactical and team orientated than most other games.

As a killzone fan I love it. but the only thing thats loosing my points here is the under polished single player.
  46. Nov 29, 2013
    Killzone: Shadow Fall doesn't bring a whole lot new to the table, but it is still a very fun multiplayer experience. I haven't spent much time with the campaign (played a level or two), but that was never what excited me about the game. If you're looking into it for its single player component you may be disappointed, but it is my favorite online shooter for PS4 so far. The levels areKillzone: Shadow Fall doesn't bring a whole lot new to the table, but it is still a very fun multiplayer experience. I haven't spent much time with the campaign (played a level or two), but that was never what excited me about the game. If you're looking into it for its single player component you may be disappointed, but it is my favorite online shooter for PS4 so far. The levels are varied, and each one is gorgeous. Of the fps titles available at launch this was the only one designed exclusively for next-gen systems and it shows. The lighting and textures make the game a treat to look at. In terms of gameplay it feels like a fairly typical shooter, but done very well. There is nothing that makes Shadow Fall very unique, but what it does include feels very good. There are several abilities tied to each of the three classes you can play as. Several of these can get annoying at times, especially if you face a whole team of people using them. Each team also has a fixed base on the map where they will spawn unless a teammate has set down a spawn beacon that you can use. The predictability of the spawns means that there is a chance for the opposing team to set up around your base, and once that happens there isn't much you can do. There are automated turrets at each base to prevent them from getting too close, but these only do so much. It's fairly easy to set up outside of their range. Once that's done, the game becomes as easy as shooting fish in a barrel. This is a bigger issue in the team deathmatch modes where there isn't as much of an incentive to move about the map, but even in the objective based modes there's a chance once team gets the other pinned in their base.

I would say 7/10 of my matches are free of ability spam and spawn camping (not the greatest percentage, i know), and when its running well Shadow Fall is a lot of fun to play. There is no aim assist which means the kills are generally slower, and it tends to reward better players. The characters move more smoothly than in passed Killzone titles, and the game is actually pretty fast paced. The game won't be everyones cup of tea, but I really enjoy it despite not having been the biggest fan of past Killzone games. It might be the game I've spent the most time with since PS4's launch.
  47. Nov 26, 2013
    I'm hooked. When I played Killzone: Mercenary on Vita (which by the way was a fantastic game), I was wondering how Killzone played on consoles. By looking at the screenshots, I thought Killzone: SF would be the next Crysis. While I was partially wrong, Shadow Fall is still a bona-fide shooter. The only aspect of Shadow Fall that did not appeal to me was the story. While the concept of aI'm hooked. When I played Killzone: Mercenary on Vita (which by the way was a fantastic game), I was wondering how Killzone played on consoles. By looking at the screenshots, I thought Killzone: SF would be the next Crysis. While I was partially wrong, Shadow Fall is still a bona-fide shooter. The only aspect of Shadow Fall that did not appeal to me was the story. While the concept of a cold war sounded cool, it was not executed correctly. Some missions get boring easily, and I really did not want to continue playing the story after 2 hours. However, Shadow Fall's multi-player, like Mercenary's is very fun and a great experience. Overall, this is a good shooter for the PS4 and a buy for any shooter fan. Expand
  48. Jun 16, 2014
    I think the game was fine. I didn't really enjoyed it much. but I was expecting that. I liked the visuals. Game play experience was good. Definitely having a dron support all the time was great idea.
    Story was nice. You get to play different style from action to stealth. Although stealth wasn't really good at some points. Maybe because it wasn't supposed to be stealthy at those points.
    I
    I really appreciated the checkpoints and chapter select.
    I didn't go through the MP. But I think it was fine too according to other reviews and demos.
    This is 7 for me
  49. Nov 29, 2013
    Amazing visuals, kind of run of the mill single player its basically a graphical showcase but still enjoyable considering there is not much out right now grab it!
  50. Dec 29, 2013
    This is a very average first person shooter worth playing since there are not very many games for the PS4. The First person story is horrendous but does get a tad better towards the game. The gameplay is smooth for the most part with a few frame rate issues here and there. The graphics are pretty good. I would compare them to medium-high with some AA on a gaming pc. The in game sound is aThis is a very average first person shooter worth playing since there are not very many games for the PS4. The First person story is horrendous but does get a tad better towards the game. The gameplay is smooth for the most part with a few frame rate issues here and there. The graphics are pretty good. I would compare them to medium-high with some AA on a gaming pc. The in game sound is a little sub par and the voice acting was terrible. Don't let the open level talk fool you. This game is on rails. The check point system will break immersion due to changing your weapon load out in the middle of a chapter.

With all that said I did enjoy playing this game and retiring my PS3 with no regrets. For a launch game I am pleased because future iterations of PS4 games will only get better.
  51. Dec 9, 2013
    7.5 would be my true score for this, 8 is a tad too high, 7 a tad low!

7.5 would be my true score for this, 8 is a tad too high, 7 a tad low!

It's an enjoyable campaign, if a bit frustrating at times, the shooting mechanics are strong, the combat isn't bad, the story is interesting, but at times the level design can be infuriating, what your aim is in a level is at times extremely vague, but offers no puzzle to figure out what you have to do, you pretty much just have to get lucky, that'd be the biggest flaw of the game for me.

It's not as short as other games released in this genre, which is refreshing.

Overall, 7.5/10, give it a go.
  52. Dec 9, 2013
    I am a big Killzone fan, most of all the great multiplayer since the ps3 era.

Shadow Fall opens with a bang, stunning crystal clear graphics. The first level is already jaw dropping, realistic lighting and weather effects, huge detailed city. The single player is actually a lot of fun, and compared to other shooters, much less "on the rails". You have more freedom to approach fights,
    I am a big Killzone fan, most of all the great multiplayer since the ps3 era.

The single player is actually a lot of fun, and compared to other shooters, much less "on the rails". You have more freedom to approach fights, and tactical options with your flying bot OWL.
    And well, the SP Campaign is really a great show off what the ps4 next gen muscle can produce !
    I have plenty games on my pc that run on ultra settings, and this KZ hold up very well thanks to excellent engine they use. (even if a gamer pc is much superior HW side than a ps4)

Gameplay feels distinct KZ style, with more slow and realistic movements. Its not floating on the ground, bunny hopping or insane auto aim like in COD.
    Its mostly comparable to Battlefield series, but much less complex and more focused on close quarter combat/smaller areas.

Multiplayer is back and its really great. 3 distinct classes & abilities, and very powerfull weapons.
    Compared to the older games, the new abilities and weapons feel much more powerfull ...
    YOu pretty easily die but also kill more quickly.
    Sentry turrets tear you apart in matter few seconds and are very resistant to fire, flying drones will be a pain up ur a.... snipers will rape you with the new one shot kill rifle.
    A deadly online experience that will be appreciated who wants something more challenging and tactical then run n gun.
    its perfectly the style of online fps i love and as huge BF fan, its still very easy to play compared to the battles on battlefield 4.
    Dont worry, personally i have almost a K/D of 2 in KZ. I think all the kids used to COD are my favourite cannon fodder.
    With COOP up to 4 players (dlc) coming soon and more maps for free Guerrilla is assuring great multiplayer support for months to come.

Despite some reviews that put this game just on the average GOOD 80 range.... for me it is the killer app for PS4. A system seller.
  53. Nov 26, 2013
    Killzone Shadow Fall is a beautiful game showing off what the PS4 is capable of Graphically. I mostly play online and have been enjoying the matches. I will be playing this game online for the next few months. Well worth the money for the this launch title.
  54. Feb 26, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Well, Killzone shadow fall is my most anticipate PS4 game since i saw the trailer,i'm kind of a sci-fi shooter fun and i played killzone 2 3,of course killzone 2 and 3 is masterpiece,and SF inherit most of their advantage,It's an awesome game,the graphic ,i'm not gonna mention because they say enough about it because it's gorgeous.
    gameplay is awesome,the map is so big,like a sandbox,feel free,it's very very good to replay,and i did,the difficulty is not so hard,and the AI may not be so good as killzone 2,partly because lucas's equipment is so good,the x-ray eyes and OWL make everything easier even in hard mode,but,it's still hard in some mission,for example the death,so you can't be careless,and that's the most wonderful thing killzone give me:provoke,the plot is good,kind of touching for me,when the end comes,it feels like heart-broken for me,and the worst thing is i don't know how to cry,it's good,but not perfect.
    the multiplayer is awesome,the weapon is better,and more and more,it's good for a sci-fi shooter game,the map is interesting and the perks it's good.after all,it's good,but since i buy this game most for the single player,so i didn't play too long.
    after all,Killzone shadow fall is a good-looking!gorgeous sci-fi game,and of course exclusive for PS4,
    it's not perfect,it have flaws,but it's a brand new start for this series,because of the innovation,and i still looking forward to next killzone game! good job guerrilla!!
  55. Oct 21, 2014
    Graphics are ok, game details, colors and acceptable depth are ps4 worthy. However, game play is below average. You can't lower in game music below 50% (developer Guerillagames claims such is necessary (?) for cueing approaching enemies. Seems the developer underestimates gamers, feels patronizing. Enemy forces make victorious gestures like waving fists when you are killed which is funnyGraphics are ok, game details, colors and acceptable depth are ps4 worthy. However, game play is below average. You can't lower in game music below 50% (developer Guerillagames claims such is necessary (?) for cueing approaching enemies. Seems the developer underestimates gamers, feels patronizing. Enemy forces make victorious gestures like waving fists when you are killed which is funny the first time but annoying when repeated over and over again. Sometimes they salute after killing you which is childish. Ever heard of a soldier who salutes after killing an enemy? Game uses controlpoints. Beware of this if you don't like that, you can't save when you want to.
    Summarizing: good graphics but limited gameplay. Not my cup of tea. If you agree, avoid this game.
  56. Dec 18, 2013
    Today I tested this game about an half of a hour. For me, killzone mercenary is a better game.
    Please, dont throw rocks on me. Killzone shadow fall simply dont looks like so good. The graphics and gameplay are just normal.
  57. Jan 12, 2014
    I was in a state of awe in killzone shadowfall at times weather it was it's wonderful environment's or dashing through the skys and sky diving which was the most fun I've had in a videogame in a while, this game it really does show the power of the ps4, so I did enjoy the campaign to a point, although the campaign was frustrating and repetitive at times, it made up for this with some niceI was in a state of awe in killzone shadowfall at times weather it was it's wonderful environment's or dashing through the skys and sky diving which was the most fun I've had in a videogame in a while, this game it really does show the power of the ps4, so I did enjoy the campaign to a point, although the campaign was frustrating and repetitive at times, it made up for this with some nice futuristic weaponry and a cool bot friend, I also killed a cupla weeks in multiplayer which was a ok! Expand
  58. Aug 6, 2014
    My first PS4 games. Where to begin Killzone shadow Fall is exactly what not to do when you are making a video games. He goes the Crysis way PERFECT GRAPHIC no gameplay or story. The game for me was beyond annoying. I had to force myself to play it. The first thing i can't stand one weapon swap. You have 3 weapon a main a secondary and a pistol weapons. Main weapon can't be changeMy first PS4 games. Where to begin Killzone shadow Fall is exactly what not to do when you are making a video games. He goes the Crysis way PERFECT GRAPHIC no gameplay or story. The game for me was beyond annoying. I had to force myself to play it. The first thing i can't stand one weapon swap. You have 3 weapon a main a secondary and a pistol weapons. Main weapon can't be change because you have to use it during part of the game. But you also have a robot following you at all time. which could have have clearly do what the gun does later in the in the game you will encounter shielded enemies like in Halo. But to destroy their you have to switch to the main gun charge it up and not miss. To me this cut the heat of action happening on the screen nothing else work missile. shotgun nothing you have to use that special gun. You rely to much on it. To use other weapons in the which come to my second problem. You never had those problem in Killzone 2 and 3 which are far better than this is one of the biggest problem of that particular game i was not feeling like playing a killzone game AT ALL. When in killzone 2 and 3 we where playing a special ops soldier. We use to play Leader of a Squad or member of squad which sometime give place to funny moment. Nothing like this happen in this game Lucas Kellan main character is a generic SIR YES SIR guys with no personality i don't want to spoil the story but the game start to become interesting at the end we are starting to see some link with the original Killzone Trilogy. And then the game is finished. I WAS LIKE ARE YOU SERIOUS that's it. I did not play mutliplayers that much i prefer not to comment on it. But its a classic generic MP. The game has simply no personality he is a Tech demo no other word for it. Don't buy this. Its hard for me to say that because i hate COD or BF but honestly buy those you will have more fun with them. Expand
  59. Dec 30, 2013
    Frankly, I am more than miffed over the overall rather negative reception of this stand out title. The new KZ offers the best of gameplay and graphics of contemporary shooters. That is not to say it's perfect, or even close to, as there is definitively room for improvement in story-telling and campaign design. However, other franchise titles such as CoD and BF4, which have long sinceFrankly, I am more than miffed over the overall rather negative reception of this stand out title. The new KZ offers the best of gameplay and graphics of contemporary shooters. That is not to say it's perfect, or even close to, as there is definitively room for improvement in story-telling and campaign design. However, other franchise titles such as CoD and BF4, which have long since become stale, still get their above average good reviews, whereas KZ gets knocked for all its shortcomings. What game does not have shortcomings? Otherwise, what would be the point of a sequel?

I won't go into how good it looks; simply put, the best-looking console game to date. But rather, I would like to emphasize the very good game design and features(such as the OWL), its great gun handling and tight controls, the varied level locales, as well as its visual style. The audio balance is off, it's true, and that is disappointing. Some of the acting is unconvincing, but for the most part the interesting story is well told. Anyone who laments a boring story setting has simply not been paying attention, or cannot color out its meaning(seen and unseen). Enough of spoon fed story-telling, thank you! Some people have lamented too-open level design; to those, I say, stick with Doom. Others have complained of not enough checkpoints; which is ridiculous, since not enough games present any challenge with an over-abundance thereof. No, Guerrilla has done everything right, especially considering the constraints and pressures of releasing a launch title.

As I have mentioned before, there are faults that need be addressed(and surely will in a sequel), but the good in this game evidently outweighs any bad. Furthermore, I need to mention some complaints critics expressed over the non-shooter gameplay sequences in this game: first, there are few non-shooter moments in the game(hardly enough to make a fuss over), second, these elements are by no means bad! People fussed over the anti-gravity sections. Really?!! They are there purely for atmospheric reasons and, that in mind, work great! Of the platforming sequences I can only express that I wished for more, and the free fall moments were too few and short to mention(positive or negative). So where exactly does the negativity stem from? Why the hate on KZ? Especially when mediocre, morally bankrupt games like CoD get(still!!) good reviews. Morally bankrupt because it is the selling of propaganda of an invading force killing people with the sole justification that(hey!) it's America doing the killing. Could I please play a Middle Easterner killing Americans who destroyed his home and family? No? I guess that's not PC. Well, give me a great fantasy shooter with more realistic gun-play any day, thanks.

PS: I did not forget multiplayer, but as I have yet to play it any significant amount I cannot comment on it. Overall, my review of a 9 is based solely on the excellent single player campaign. Thanks for a great launch title and overall great game Guerrilla! Don't listen to the fools!!
  60. Dec 10, 2013
    the game is absolutely gorgeous best video game graphics i have ever seen on a console

the gameplay is solid nothing groundbreaking or dramatic about this its a good FPS just as solid as BF and COD in my opinion but has its own feel to it to distinguish it the campaign is also the best out of the fps shooters available and if u notice a lot of expert reviewers lowered their ratings

the campaign is also the best out of the fps shooters available and if u notice a lot of expert reviewers lowered their ratings due to some issues with the end of the campaign that were fixed in a patch and even before the patch i would say the campaign was the most fun and longest

the multiplayer is fun i love how the scoring focuses on the objective and not K/D only time K/D should be a focus is when ur playing TDM and that's how it is in Killzone

i'm a new fan of the killzone series starting with this game if you're undecided about getting an FPS for PS4 i'll say this

Get COD if you want stereotypical COD
    Get BF if you want battlefield

if you want a FPS with a good campaign amazing graphics and solid MP an overall sound game then get Killzone and not to confuse anyone or start trouble i like COD never was a fan of BF but i liked that too

my Ratings
    COD- 8.0 stereotypical cod with a really bad story great MP and good graphics
    BF4- 8.0 story a little better than cod but still bad the destruction is too scripted for my liking but the game is very much fun and playable if u like BF
    Killzone-8.6 the best looking hands down best story and solid MP i think it is the best overall i still play COD with my friends tho but if you can only get one FPS i would get Killzone

Story- KZ, BF, COD
    Gameplay- TIE(ALL GOOD IN THEIR OWN WAY)
    MP-COD,BF,KZ
  61. Feb 19, 2014
    this game is like all the other killzones long and boring, now dont get me wrong i was happy to see a new killzone game for the ps4 and i was thinking this was going to be a good one and save the killzone name (for me that is) and i was also happy we weren't geting resistance 4 but thats another review. killzone shadow fall is long and boring, the try to pass it off as a stealth game thenthis game is like all the other killzones long and boring, now dont get me wrong i was happy to see a new killzone game for the ps4 and i was thinking this was going to be a good one and save the killzone name (for me that is) and i was also happy we weren't geting resistance 4 but thats another review. killzone shadow fall is long and boring, the try to pass it off as a stealth game then the next level your in a open field shooting people all willy nilly. the graphics are pretty bad and it just looks like gtaV and the gameplay is just cod witch was disappointing. killzone shadow fall gets a 4/10 Expand
  62. Dec 30, 2013
    That graphics, oh, my god! Big locations are faithful! Story is not impressive, but is FPS and is better than CoD :D Some locations are realy nice and some are like from Alien Rage or from other Sci-Fi games.
  63. Dec 15, 2013
    I got this game today. Played a few missions in campaign and a few hours of multiplayer and I really like this game. The AI in campaign and offline bots are pretty stupid.The graphics are amazing and the multiplayer is sick I just wish they had a free for all mode which I usually play on killzone mercenary on the ps vita It's a lot better than the piece of crap cod ghost and I wouldI got this game today. Played a few missions in campaign and a few hours of multiplayer and I really like this game. The AI in campaign and offline bots are pretty stupid.The graphics are amazing and the multiplayer is sick I just wish they had a free for all mode which I usually play on killzone mercenary on the ps vita It's a lot better than the piece of crap cod ghost and I would recommend it to fps gamers Expand
  64. Dec 28, 2013
    Look, i never liked Killzone
    i think its a overated franchise
    but this game is good!!! it has a good gameplay
    the graphics are very awesome but ....i dont know its very dissapointing
    i guess i hate Multiplayer and the First Person shooter are not the mine
    well, this game is good...still better than killzone trilogy
  65. Feb 13, 2014
    I expected much more from Killzone Shadow Fall but this game is ultimately an uninspiring bore. The game looks fantastic but the core gameplay is linear and extremely dull throughout. If you unmask the visuals; there is very little of an engrossing game here and the campaign fails to impress just like many modern FPS games on the market today.

The missions don't excite whatsoever; the

The missions don't excite whatsoever; the objectives are bland, the locations look great but aren't particularly fun to explore and don't offer enough scope compared to the surrounding scenery. It just feels if everything is scaled back and scripted. The gunplay isn't bad but the touchpad functionality has been dreadfully implemented and is far too awkward at times. The AI is absolutely awful also and really lets down what is already a dismal experience.

At full price; this game is not worth a penny and even at a cheaper second-hand rate; it's best to wait and experience something else instead. This game is not on par with the previous games and you just can't help but feel they have focused too much from a technical and graphical standpoint as opposed to delivering an exciting game and gripping story.
  66. Sep 16, 2014
    This game is a tough one. The story isn't very good at all. The graphics are great to check out what the new console can do. The controls are tight, but the game isn't very fun. I really liked the first two Killzone games, but I can't help but feel disappointed. I never felt really wowed. There where a few fun moments in the campaign, but that really it. At least it was short enough.This game is a tough one. The story isn't very good at all. The graphics are great to check out what the new console can do. The controls are tight, but the game isn't very fun. I really liked the first two Killzone games, but I can't help but feel disappointed. I never felt really wowed. There where a few fun moments in the campaign, but that really it. At least it was short enough.
    Graphics 10/10
    Game play 8/10
    Story 1/10
    Sound 7/10
    Replay 1/10
  67. Jan 1, 2014
    The mechanics of the game are competent and the level design is well done, low point for me is how the story just jumps around with poor linking and context.
    Others are saying that Multiplayer is where the action is at, I don't really play multiplayer so I'm not swayed by that.
  68. Jun 17, 2014
    This game is below mediocre. It's definitely the worst KZ in the series.

I'll start with good things: visuals and sound fx. Game looks great, the best on PS4 and X1 and one of the best visuals in gaming. Also sounds are good. For example, I was shooting at ceiling and there were sounds of bullets dropping on floor. But when it comes to gameplay, it fails. The main sin of the game:
    This game is below mediocre. It's definitely the worst KZ in the series.

But when it comes to gameplay, it fails. The main sin of the game: it's boring. Boring campaign, boring multiplayer (a generic btw). I started playing game 6 months ago, and I didn't finish it yet, because game puts me to sleep and I can't play more than one chapter at a time. The story is not interesting and they ignore previous games (what a great idea to put enemy on your home planet and give them weapons - sweat).

Level design is bad, and environment feels empty. There're also a lot of invisible walls. Weapons are the most basic (no innovation, no signature weapon), AI is stupid.
    In some scenarios where you need to hold the ground, you can hide in a spot and wait for a scene to end.

Also I didn't like that for L1 special actions you have to be precise, otherwise it won't respond.

If you played previous KZ MP - it hasn't changed. It's like COD,

In the end, this game feels like tech demo, to show capabilities of PS4. And it accomplish this task but fails at the gameplay. I do not recommend buying this game.
  69. Dec 1, 2013
    Okay first of all I'd like to say that this game looks absolutely stunning...graphics are mesmerising...I have never played a Killzone game before, so I thought would perhaps be a bit "newcomer friendly" but I was wrong.

This game feels so boring and stale I couldn't finish it...I gave up after the third mission...There were no sort of guideline or hints at all and the result of that was me running around like a f*cktard for 2 hours not knowing how to get around....They should be developing an easier way to play it next time....story wise I think it was interesting, and graphically it was a bomb, best graphics in a game!
  70. Dec 1, 2013
    I half to say i'v Been playing this game for hours, the multiplayer is awesome the single player is a bit short but I enjoyed it either way. Graphics are awesome, guns are great, sound is amazing. All in all an awesome experience so far, alot of unlockables and content i half to give this game a score of 10 because of how amazing it is.
  71. Dec 1, 2013
    One of only a few FPS games that have given me motion sickness over the years. There have been a few complaints online and apparently this series is known for it. Wish they would fix it by adding some more graphical options for things like head bob, fov and motion blur.
  72. Mar 22, 2014
    The biggest hyped thing - graphics - is not that true, because Anti-Alising is lacking, and light effect is too exaggerated that hurts my eyes. This is so unbearable, because if I turn down the light of display, then other things become too dark . What should I do? Last thing, although more advanced graphic engine is used, the graphic effect is even much less realistic than KZ2, so, noThe biggest hyped thing - graphics - is not that true, because Anti-Alising is lacking, and light effect is too exaggerated that hurts my eyes. This is so unbearable, because if I turn down the light of display, then other things become too dark . What should I do? Last thing, although more advanced graphic engine is used, the graphic effect is even much less realistic than KZ2, so, no immersing battle atmosphere is in this game.

The characters and dialogues are so so blank and forgettable except for that insane terrorist, ironic. Especially that black man who seems just hasty to finish his voice acting job then earn his income ASAP with no any enthusiasm and understanding on his character. Sadly, most of time, you have to listen to his sermon.

The metal bug mate is so annoying. It executes your order after seconds delay. Usually during the delay, you game over.

I really like KZ2, and also I really don't like KZ3. Now, Shadow Fall IMO is even worse than KZ3.

This game leaves me a very hollow feeling. It seems like a big but emotionless and pale tech demo for ps4.
  73. Dec 7, 2013
    Very bad gameplay (stupid design of locations, awful AI of enemies), storyline, cut-scenes are just pathetic, really poorly directed "supposed-to-be-epic" moments.
    Nice graphics for a launch title though.
    Killzone 2 and 3 are much, much better.
  74. Dec 8, 2013
    The only next gen FPS

- gameplay is amazing and they fix all issues previous killzone had.
    - graphics, this is the best looking game of next gen. Everything looks stunning
    - story, it is amazing. It is a great story and will keep you entertained
    - Multiplayer is the best. Very fun
    - DLC map are free, a total of six maps. Can't wait for the rumored coop mode
  75. Dec 14, 2013
    Like Ryse, Killzone Shadow Fall is essentially a tech demo of how good the PS4 can preform visually in fact it looks better Ryse! However Shadow Fall sets itself apart from Ryse for having actual worthwhile, fun gameplay, the king of which is its incredible multiplayer. So lets start with the campaign easily the most disappointing part of the game. In Killzone 3, the VSA( good guys)Like Ryse, Killzone Shadow Fall is essentially a tech demo of how good the PS4 can preform visually in fact it looks better Ryse! However Shadow Fall sets itself apart from Ryse for having actual worthwhile, fun gameplay, the king of which is its incredible multiplayer. So lets start with the campaign easily the most disappointing part of the game. In Killzone 3, the VSA( good guys) totally destroy the planet of the Helghast space nazis In return, the VSA let the Helghast colonise half of their planet, leading to a Cold War scenario that's SUPPOSED to be mystery and espionage... No! It Michael Bay style action, which can be super cool at times, but still doesn't fit the purpose. Your supposed to care for the characters... No! The characters are boring and un memorable. The A.I. is alright, and overall the campaign is good, but comes with a very VERY bad ending. But once you sink your teeth into the sandwich known as multiplayer! It's fast and fluid, while also being tactical and dynamic. Returns is Killzones signature warzone, a constant online battle that's constantly updating with new objectives. Despite this, the thing I love the most about Shadow Fall is its levelling system... There is none. Instead to unlock stuff like new weapon mods( all guns are unlocked at the begging, which can help noobs have a chance at winning. If Shadow Falls campaign was on par with its multiplayer then this would of been the perfect FPS... But it's not. Expand
  76. Dec 16, 2013
    Multiplayer 10
    For launch title super

Next chapter must rock
  77. Mar 14, 2014
    This game is extremely addictive, very beautiful and a delight to play. An exciting story, and certainly the best exclusive this generation so far. Again, the exclusives of Sony consoles dominate competitors. Just haters can give a score more low than 8,0 for this game.
  78. Dec 30, 2013
    Graphics are this games best seller. Story is soso. Not really compelling. It is the same old story of oppression and terrorism. At every checkpoint, you are placed under fire where you have to take shots while looking for cover. Every new chapter you start with the weapon you can't ever swap out and a pistol. Things spawn out of nowhere as soon as you turn your back. You findGraphics are this games best seller. Story is soso. Not really compelling. It is the same old story of oppression and terrorism. At every checkpoint, you are placed under fire where you have to take shots while looking for cover. Every new chapter you start with the weapon you can't ever swap out and a pistol. Things spawn out of nowhere as soon as you turn your back. You find yourself using the "OWL" to do a good portion of the killing to avoid having to go into the many situations where you are grossly outnumbered with no cover.

Online is the same old same. Its just different guns and different maps. Depends what you like. You get a pistol and a long gun(Rifle, machine gun etc) and grenades. Modes are typical CTF, Deathmatch etc). I don't care for most PVP. It is still better than COD or Battlefield IMO. I am hoping the co-op coming out will be fun. co-op online is what made borderlands 1&2 fun for me.
  79. Dec 30, 2013
    Firstly it has to be noted that Killzone Shadow Fall is obscenely pretty, containing a graphical fidelity that is fitting for next generation and experimenting with new environments and close attention to detail. Make no mistakes the vistas are stunning and at first glance the game will take your breath away but unfortunately this effect doesn't last.

Firstly the parallel with history

Firstly the parallel with history continues, from the obvious Nazi/WW2 undertones of one through three this time a cold war scenario has arisen with the Helghan on one side of an enormous wall and the Vektans on the other both supposedly at peace whilst running covert ops that appear to be the least covert in all of history considering the amount captured people, botched operations and indeed the player themselves being captured comes into play. The story dismisses this potentially interesting concept in favour of recreating another standard unremarkable plot of FPS staple based around some nondescript terrorist group who have decided to cause trouble because reasons.

The plot is at best unremarkable leaving no considerable impact even when it sets itself up to do so, threating mass catastrophe or death with a mission that despite the Shadow Marshals, that is the Vektan Black Ops, apparent multiple membership only the player character can be sent to do anything and as such it throws away the subtexts and smaller pieces in favour of pushing the ham fisted main storyline forwards in an absolutely nonsensical way particularly given from cutscenes alone if logic was applied the player should be dead several times over. The actual main plot is not enough to hold attention with several blaring gaps such as an early mission [*SPOILERS*] where trains are turned into mobile missiles and the Vektans lose control of the system but do not simply use the emergency stop to cut off electricity leaving them useless rather shovelling the player into obviously deliberate level design [*END SPOILERS*]

Worse the human element of the story disintegrates as the player is thrust into the role of an elite soldier who can take on entire battalions alone, defeat impossible odds etc and it all gives the game an inconsistent tone as one minute there is mass remonstration about the horrors of the Helghast and the atrocities of the continuing war then the game thrusts you into a fantastical situation demanding you defy all odds to save everyone. Its a very detached experience and the AI doesn't help one bit being very short on brains or programming as your allies refuse to move up unless you hit a trigger point twenty feet ahead of the logical regroup point or throw yourself headlong into enemy bullets for several minutes and in the few occasions you have help you almost wish you didn't.

Having said that the gunplay is weighty and the balancing feels spot on, they're not so heavy as in two nor are they as floaty as three and guerrilla must be commended for finding this balance. The levels compliment such gunplay being multi-dimensional and allowing multiple approaches across various floors and areas is a lot of fun only this gets removed in favour of linear corridors later on and there are still the unnecessary sequences which will frustrate turning into trial and error repeats of ill thought out areas. Largely however the level design is excellent and when combined with the gunplay extremely gratifying although enemies in wider areas respawn quicker than you can find ammo to remove them making it annoying when you clear an area for a flanking manoeuvre, have to run from a grenade, come back and everyone is alive once more.

The game certainly attempts some innovation such as the OWL companion, a standard roster of appropriately textured and excellent sounding space age weapons but refuses to go anywhere with what it innovates being unsure of the power of next gen as of yet which is to be expected but it still leaves the elements feeling a bit too empty particularly when they're coupled with a total lack of guidance. Normally games lead you by the hand to an excruciating degree, but Killzone does the opposite with so much beauty on screen it's nearly impossible in some cases to work out where it is you're supposed to be going.

There are also some RPG elements such as audio diaries and the like which add a nice overall tone and make the world seem more alive and draw you in with optional exposition to support the events around you in an attempt to connect them or to provide more information than the cutscenes alone and any such collectibles are welcome whatever the game may be undeniably adding to the experience.

Ultimately killzone is a solid and graphically beautiful FPS that has some minor innovation but a bog standard plot, forgettable characters and whilst a solid level design that for the most part is different and fun a lack of appreciation of its own depth in this respect at points. It is not by any means bad simply not the huge leap to next gen some may wish for.
  80. Dec 31, 2013
    Killzone is a slower paced online shooter that has a lot of positives. I like the class options and customization. They are simple yet offer a variety of options. I wish there were a hardcore option I am not a fan of needing to pump enemies with five several rounds to down them. The voice acting in the story is pretty disappointing but having the drone as a sidekick was a cool touch.Killzone is a slower paced online shooter that has a lot of positives. I like the class options and customization. They are simple yet offer a variety of options. I wish there were a hardcore option I am not a fan of needing to pump enemies with five several rounds to down them. The voice acting in the story is pretty disappointing but having the drone as a sidekick was a cool touch. Overall worth getting. Expand
  81. Jan 3, 2014
    I never played any of the other killzones, so my review will not have anything to do with the story. the game over all is great. It fully exploits the power of the new PS4 system and it doesnt try to hide it. There are so many cutscenes where people get right up in your face and you can see every detail in full hd at 60FPS. The city is beautiful with all of its ships and shiny buildings.I never played any of the other killzones, so my review will not have anything to do with the story. the game over all is great. It fully exploits the power of the new PS4 system and it doesnt try to hide it. There are so many cutscenes where people get right up in your face and you can see every detail in full hd at 60FPS. The city is beautiful with all of its ships and shiny buildings. The AI are smart and will kill you if you treat this like a traditional first person shooter. the combat is great. the runs all look amazing although some look and feel to similar for my taste, There is also not much variety in the guns. Your character has a drone with some abilities that you will only ever need to use once. There is only one real boss fight and it is just decent. Its tough at first but I was still able to beat it in one try.

The campaign isnt perfect. like i said they take what chances they get into showing off the graphics and the power of the console. but in doing so they took focus off some of the missions. there is one mission where you and a few other soldiers are fighting off waves of enemies untill someone can get a ship prepared for your escape. well You really dont have to do much defending, there are weapons layed out that are pretty over powered and the enemies dont exactly do any hardcore rushing, sure there are some that do it but they are easy to pick off. There's actually an area that you can sit where the enemies will sit around you, shoot at you, but they wont hit you or advance at you. that level wasn't to thrilling. The AI is smart usually but in that mission they decided to derp out.

I was almost disappointed with the ending, until one other thing happened. No spoilers but you will be pleasantly surprised with the final part

Now for multiplayer. I have one way of summing it up. It felt like crisis. That's about it. if you like crisis you like this game. I was kinda hoping for something that felt completely different. you dont earn any of the guns, you just earn gear for them. then your gear slots for drones and deployable turrets and other stuff has everything unlocked as well. but you can level up the gear. The class with the LMG's are over powered imo because you get a giant attack drone that will demolish an unsuspecting team, AND YOU DON'T HAVE TO EARN IT! I literally wait for the enemy team to come out of there spawn and have my drone placed at their spawn. they get destroyed every time.

Overall I really enjoyed the game, but future games will need some improvement. the graphics are great, but lets get some gameplay that knocks the competition out.
  82. Jan 3, 2014
    The game is nice, but greatness was possible and was missed. Wonderful sci-fi environment. Good standard FPS elements (weapons, gadgets, etc.). Nice to have multiples choices sometimes on how to achieve a mission (go stealth, go brutal, etc,). I did not enjoy the flow of the game, always pushing the scenario heavily through, and the scenario been a little too corridor for me.
    Adding open
    Adding open world to the game would have been amazing. Amazing!
    Adding a minimal sci-fi crafting system would have been great as well.
    Adding a weapon, armor, gadget upgrades and stores would have been appreciated.
  83. Jul 5, 2014
    Excited to see the power of the PS4 and seeing the game that's supposed to carry the flag for Sony when it comes to shooters and release titles, I was extremely disappointed. The game looks rather good (compared to last-gen) but I've played numerous titles on the PS4 that look exponentially better. Aside from the graphics, this game has very little going for it. The campaign isExcited to see the power of the PS4 and seeing the game that's supposed to carry the flag for Sony when it comes to shooters and release titles, I was extremely disappointed. The game looks rather good (compared to last-gen) but I've played numerous titles on the PS4 that look exponentially better. Aside from the graphics, this game has very little going for it. The campaign is extremely bland and a corridor shooter, by definition. The AI is insufferable and the firefights leave much to be desired. Even on the hardest difficult, the game consists of standing behind cover, shooting enemies and walking to the next room. Lather, rinse, repeat.

The multiplayer, on the other hand, doesn't even need to be mentioned. Hardly anyone plays it and I can see why.

The only time I find myself wanting to play this game is for the co-op mode. It's not perfect but there's not many co-op games at the moment so I'm having to make do with what I can. Is it worth another $20 on top of the $30-40 price tag for the game? Not really.
  84. Jan 13, 2014
    Do you like fps,if so you will love killzone.amazing graphics ,huge open areas that are truly next gen,and the guns are brutal and loud,ai is decent so you will not find it easy,a must buy.
  85. Jan 16, 2014
    The Playstation 4 I purchased is the first Playstation I've ever owned, so I was REALLY Excited to try this exclusive out and boy was I NOT let down. This game, from a graphics and mechanics standpoint, is the definition of a next-gen game. They were freaking incredible, the details in everything from rain dripping down a characters face, to the tiny pebbles and cracks littered all overThe Playstation 4 I purchased is the first Playstation I've ever owned, so I was REALLY Excited to try this exclusive out and boy was I NOT let down. This game, from a graphics and mechanics standpoint, is the definition of a next-gen game. They were freaking incredible, the details in everything from rain dripping down a characters face, to the tiny pebbles and cracks littered all over the rocky cliffs; it was absolutely insane. Movement felt very realistic in that doing things like sprinting would make the screen move as if the character were actually running and not just floating as it feels in many other FPSs.

As for the campaign, I found the gameplay itself to be a lot of fun, however there were several parts in it that were very non-first-person shooter, that I felt took a little bit of the enjoyment out of the campaign. The story was very tough to follow and found myself having no idea why I was doing what I was doing, but at the same time I was enjoying myself (this also could be because I've never played a KIllzone game before). There were some parts of the campaign that were challenging, but overall I moved through the campaign with relative ease even when playing it on the hardest difficulty. So while the story itself was difficult to follow and there were some parts of the campaign that had no right being in an FPS in the first place, overall the gameplay was a lot of fun and definitely helped prepare me for the multiplayer.

Personally LOVE the multiplayer in Killzone Shadow Fall. I've been playing Warzone which is basically a combination of every FPS game type known to man combined into one single game. So basically every 5 minutes or so the objective of the game changes from Team Deathmatch, to Search and Destroy, or to a Domination style game type, to a beacon retrieval game type. The game type utilizes every corner of the maps and with the objective constantly changing it keeps you on your feet and results in a really intense and enjoyable experience. Multiplayer utilizes a lot of the guns, abilities, load out options that you experienced in the campaign as well as incorporates some new aspects as well, still giving you that slight feeling of uniqueness. Most, if not all, of the load outs abilities provide some benefit to you and your team so it does a good job of promoting group cooperation and allows for those high-five moments you get when assisting your buddies. Overall I think the Killzone: Shadow Fall's multiplayer is extremely fun, and think anyone that is a fan of online shooters would thoroughly enjoy this game.
  86. Jan 18, 2014
    First thing you're going to notice about this game is the stunning graphics! Gameplay is solid and the controls work well, great choice as a launch title for the ps4. Despite the great campaign there's not much more to shadow fall, multiplayer is nothing amazing and will feel repetitive and dull quickly.
  87. Jan 26, 2014
    This review is for the single player campaign of Killzone: Shadow Fall. With that disclaimer out of the way…wooboy, where to begin? What a turd--er, I mean, what a vapid, listless, fragmented game. And don't even get me started on the story, writing, and voice acting (note to Gene Farber and David Harewood: reading lines is NOT acting).

For the record, I can overlook a terrible story in

For the record, I can overlook a terrible story in a first person shooter. I can even overlook laughably bad voice acting. What I can not overlook is haphazard, nonsensical level design. Slapping the descriptors "free-form" and "open-ended" onto level design in no way compensates for the complete lack of direction. I can't count of the number of times I got lost in each level. Nothing breaks the rhythm of an FPS like poor level design. Every time I was finally getting into the action, a firefight would abruptly end with no indication as to where the hell I should go next. Admittedly, the HUD will give you environmental markers if you tap up on the D-pad, but this only adds to the broken rhythm. And why do the markers disappear to begin with?

On top of the insipid levels, the controls are sluggish and unintuitive. In particular, the touchpad and HUD integration for the OWL sentry are both annoying and distracting (am I blasting those shielded Helghast with an EMP or shooting them?). I finally got the hang of the OWL, but I was over 3/4s of the way through the game. Speaking of the OWL, why does it allow you to zipline to map areas that result in instant death? I'll tell you why: poor level design.

Killzone: Shadow Fall has a nugget of redemption in its pristine graphics, but even then, the environments feel devoid of life. Pretty lighting doesn't make up for bad motion capture. NPCs look like they are gliding across the map.

In the end, perhaps the best thing I can say about this game is that it is a launch title. Pretty, and full of promise for things to come, but ultimately a waste of my $60.
  88. Feb 26, 2014
    This game has really stunning textures ....and that's were the good stops the game physics are awful the music is bland, and shootin someone dead , well it's just not fun ! In a game were you primarily shoot people I would have thought they would at least make that part fun ? Do yourself a favour and don't get this
  89. Jan 30, 2014
    KillZone 3 better 3 times !!! this game is like " Hey! I want my money back!!" this is not what i paid for.
    - Gameplay: we have to finish it quickly! but we don have time! wha we gonna do? we sell what we have!
    - Graphics: Really Good!!
  90. Feb 16, 2014
    Solo: A linear game, with a generic story. Go from A to B, primarily solve the problem, secondarily occasionally shoot something. This is not a First Person Shooter, it's a First Person Puzzler.

Online Multiplayer: Awkward, slow, muddy controls thanks to the game engine. Jerky firing, useless sights, slow grenade throws, limited weapons, limited attachments. A horrid experience.

Trophies: 33 total, 22 Solo, 11 MP. Sadly the MP trophies would take 100s of hours of play to unlock, and since the MP mode is so terrible, it will not happen for most people, not even hardcore trophy hunters.

I would value this game at £20/$30, it looks good enough, but plays poorly. You can get the same clunky MP experience from Blacklight: Retribution for free on PSN. If you enjoy Call of Duty MP, then you are best sticking with Call of Duty. If you want a Sci-Fi experience, try Warframe, Blacklight: Retribution, or DC Universe Online for Free until the release of Destiny.
  91. Feb 21, 2014
    This game is a huge disappointment. The online multiplayer gameplay is completely bland, has lost its core focus, and is too heavy to capture attention for any reasonable period of time. That said, the animations are very well done, and the map design is acceptable. Still, the multiplayer aspect brings nothing new to the genre, and is ultimately boring.
    The singleplayer, firstly, looks
    The singleplayer, firstly, looks gorgeous, and is one of the best looking games on console to date. That is about my only praise for it. It is around four hours worth of boring, dreary, gameplay. The story is just awful, and the AI are pathetic. It was a real letdown given the high quality of previous Killzone games. The graphics simply don't make up for the frankly awful gameplay.
  92. Feb 20, 2014
    As a huge Killzone fan, this was the game that I looked most forward to on the Next Gen consoles. The high intensity and great graphics on Killzone 3 made me anticipate this game even more. Upon purchasing a PS4, I also received several games, Killzone being one of them. Let me say, the graphics were incredible! Many of my friends thought I was watching a movie! However, for someAs a huge Killzone fan, this was the game that I looked most forward to on the Next Gen consoles. The high intensity and great graphics on Killzone 3 made me anticipate this game even more. Upon purchasing a PS4, I also received several games, Killzone being one of them. Let me say, the graphics were incredible! Many of my friends thought I was watching a movie! However, for some reason, I got bored of the game very fast and it was a slow moving, intensity lacking campaign. Expand
  93. Mar 13, 2014
    A shooter which offers little in the way of gameplay and story. I could give it a 5 just for beautiful graphics, but it doesn't even have that. The graphics are mainly built around blinding sunlight everywhere you look - probably to hide the average textures and detail in the game environment. The only good thing I can think of about this game is it's slightly satisfying to kill an enemy,A shooter which offers little in the way of gameplay and story. I could give it a 5 just for beautiful graphics, but it doesn't even have that. The graphics are mainly built around blinding sunlight everywhere you look - probably to hide the average textures and detail in the game environment. The only good thing I can think of about this game is it's slightly satisfying to kill an enemy, but even that isn't great. Terrible game. Expand
  94. Mar 25, 2014
    This game looked awesome in the demos. The game is fun, but it isn't Titanfall. This is about as close as you'll get to it, though. Enjoy your OWLs, and us PC elitists will enjoy our giant metal cans of beans that shoot LASERS AND ROCKETS AND STUFF.
    6 beans in a can of 10.
  95. Mar 21, 2014
    After more than 100 hours playing the online multiplayer I can say this is one of the best games I've ever played. It doesn't have a great camapign and its plot isn't as interesting as it could be, but the productions values are there and make this game worthwile.
  96. Apr 20, 2014
    What a horrible game, if this hadnt been part of a series ive always played i would of sold it after the first mision. The gameplay is horrible and couldnt be more clunky. The story gives me no interest, all previous killzones you are part of a squad, on shadow fall you do most missions alone and it is just not interesting. For me the worst thing is the lighting. Its atrocious, they haveWhat a horrible game, if this hadnt been part of a series ive always played i would of sold it after the first mision. The gameplay is horrible and couldnt be more clunky. The story gives me no interest, all previous killzones you are part of a squad, on shadow fall you do most missions alone and it is just not interesting. For me the worst thing is the lighting. Its atrocious, they have tried to hard with it and you just cant see anything, this includes the muzzle flash will means you cant see what your shooting. No idea what they were thinking, developers clearly confused themselves. Go back to the old formula please guerilla games. Expand
  97. Mar 24, 2014
    Killzone Shadow Fall deserves less, Guerrilla and Sony tried to hide its real resolution and frame drops with false marketing and trying to focus the attention on its awful lightning.
  98. Mar 24, 2014
    I've never played a killzone game and now I see why. When I bought the game I was expecting Doom or Duke Nukem. What I got was another lame, repetitive shooter with a weak campaign mode and another kiddie room multiplayer. No thought, no strategy, no real skill, just run and gun or camp and snipe. This genre of gameplay needs to be laid to rest right beside killzone in a hole six feet deep.
  99. Nov 8, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. an utter let down. apart from the very few good moments in the single player campaign this is nothing compared to the amazing killzone 1,2,3. the multiplayer is fun for one game and the snipers are useless.
    now sony have finally made killzone a big thing is makes it a huge money grab, you have to pay for co-op!!!!! sev or rico don't make an appearance and no rico's lmg. if you played the first three games you should play this. it is a good tech demo for the ps4 but the verdict brings this down as a poor shooter
  100. Nov 13, 2014
    THE NEXT GEN FPS.
    Beautiful and difficult.
    Campaign is boring but multi is incredible.

A technical FPS, you have to go deep in order to understand the power of Killzone SF.

1. Feb 13, 2014
    A very good and varied multiplayer FPS. Some things, like the big attack/defend scenarios, were better on Killzone 3. [Jan 2014]
  2. Jan 22, 2014
    In attempting to juggle so many balls at once, it simply loses control and bats them all over the place in a crazed, lurching frenzy as it tries to stop the whole thing from falling apart.
  3. Jan 15, 2014
    Whatever the reason was for making Shadow Fall in the first place, the result is a mixture of bland, annoying and weird.