6.1

1. Apr 2, 2014
    Some younger gamers may be daunted in the early stages of this game and jump to leaving an early negative review, I explore you to stick with it. After the gun crafting gets in to full gear this becomes one of the deepest 2-d shooters I've ever played. Maps are expansive and ripe for exploration, the difficulty is tuned just right, punishing you only for mistakes on your part and not holding your hand. Too many games today let you waltz right through without any skill, this isn't one of those. Expand
  2. Apr 3, 2014
    A really fun and challenging game. Brings back memories of classic 8 & 16 bit side scrolling shooters of yesteryear. An added bonus is that it's free for PS Plus subscribers.
  3. Apr 2, 2014
    This game is a great throwback to classic 2D shooters I grew up with in the 90's. The music is fantastic and makes great use of some chiptunes. The difficulty is something else that seems to have been tweaked perfectly. I died numerous times on the first couple levels but always was able to figure out enemy patterns and outwit the level in the end. I have heard complaints about reoccurring stages getting repetitive but honestly I have not had that problem. The stages themselves are HUGE and easy to get lost in. The looting and customization is something to marvel at and will easily have me coming back for months. NOT TO MENTION the online and local co-op which is the best way to play co-op on the PS4 right now in my opinion. The game is fast, fluid, polished and a complete joy to play. Expand
  4. Apr 3, 2014
    A **** fun game. Reminds me of Metal Slug and it's awesome. The graphics are awesome and the music too. I like the different modifications and stuff. Love it.
  5. Apr 6, 2014
    This is my favorite playstation plus game (and indie game) for my PS4 so far. I grew up with the sega and 32X and played my friends nintendo systems and I am sick of hearing people compare this to games of that generation. If it did come out back then gamers minds would've exploded in awesomeness and loot. This game isn't Contra. This games is closer to Borderlands than Contra.

I
    think people play and can't get over the steep but extremely brief learning curve and judge it like they remember the outdated games of the past where death meant restarting the game completely. Say you do die on the same level 15 times... you collect the components from the enemies you defeat/ treasures you find and using a very simple and intuitive crafting system you can make armor, weapons (including all of the parts and ammo) and knifes to completely destroy that level you were having such a hard time with. You can also buy one time use items such as med packs and C4 to help you through the stage. You can hunt animals and use their meat to cook foods for buffs on missions and with each rank you earn you learn new weapon blueprints, etc. You can also use components to create lasting buffs such as increase speed or weapon damage.

The learning curve continues to rise throughout the 25+ hour campaign with expert pacing and the replay value is almost endless. The story is really the only lacking part but I did enjoy it none the less. The game is an awesome retrospect into games of the past like you remember them, but a side by side comparison will look insane.

Get this game for free with plus or buy it for 20. Either is worth it.
  6. Apr 4, 2014
    If you grew up playing SNES, you are going to love this game. It doesn't hold your hand, so feel free to read a guide online before digging in, it will help a lot.

Gameplay mechanics are flawless. Graphics are great, and the music gets stuck in your head. FUNK.

The only downside is matchmaking. Switching to public mode throws you in with other online players, you have no say in what
    mission you play unless you randomly become host. Best case is you have friends to play with or make some and use party chat. Expand
  7. Apr 8, 2014
    The Game is really good it is Monster hunter meets Metal Slug. The game is difficult in the beginning but once you get used the routine of the enemies and craft a new guns it gets easier. The customization and crafting is very very deep. I would have easily paid for this but for free on PS plus it is a steal. I haven't liked a game this much in a long time AAA or Indie. People posting 0's are taking the pi55 no game is worth a 0 and I doubt you played it enough to get into it. The game is probably an 8 or 8.5 but posting a 10 to offset the clowns who post obsurd scores Expand
  8. Apr 11, 2014
    I haven't laughed, yelled and cheered this much in a long time. On sheer level of enjoyment, I couldn't rate this game anything but a 10. Granted, I was playing on a couch with a friend - and I can't speak for the single-player or online experience. It's rare even the most polished AAA experiences deliver this much fun, and that can be a rough thing to admit.

Not to mention it's free on PS+.
  9. Apr 18, 2014
    This game is definitely one of the most interesting games I've played so far on ps4. This game's graphics are a pleasing homage to older games such as metal slug. The game-play at first-glance seems simplistic however it involves features such as crafting weapons, mods and food in the style strikingly similar to that found in the monster hunter series providing hundreds of styles of customization for the player.
    The game also features both couch co-op and on-line with up to 4 players. The couch co-op I personally find a nice addition to the game and something that has been lacking from many games of the recent generations. The maps of the game are expansive and provide a metroidvania like feel to them. Some may find it boring if they aren't into 2D shooters or the games that are paid homage to in this but this is the only con I could personally find with this game (even then I wouldn't call it a con).
    Overall, this game is pleasing to the eye, fun to play and a lot of fun playing with friends, perfect simply for the game it attempts to be and manages to go far beyond that status.
  10. Apr 8, 2014
    Anyone who grew up in the 8 or 16-bit era would appreciate this game. Has a Metal Slug/Contra feel. Co-op (couch and online) is tons of fun. I've spent about 15 hours so far and the gun crafting is probably my favorite feature. The game is kinda slow for the first few levels. But you can craft a decent gun pretty quickly.

There are a few bugs and issues. But I believe most of these can
    be addressed with a patch. I also wish there was more customization to your character. It's free on PS+ so give it a shot. I think some the low scores are from 12 year olds that will never truly never understand. Expand
  11. Apr 9, 2014
    The game is well worth the price of 20 bux. If you're fortunate enough to get it free through PS+ even better. contra / metal slug with borderlands take on guns. really enjoyable challenging and rewarding. no complaints other than some mission types like hostages are very tedious. PERFECT CO-OP game though local or online.
  12. Apr 21, 2014
    Muy bueno el juego. Es impresionante como 360mb traen tanto. Tremenda customizacion, simple y entretenido. Eso si, al principio es complicado y dificil pero una vez le cojas el truco es bueno. Tiene un balance perfecto. Lo recomiendo.
  13. May 27, 2014
    Sadly I missed this game when it was free on the PS4, but I don’t have any regrets purchasing it this past weekend. My friends and I are already 8 hours deep into the game and we’re having an absolute blast. Great game play, awesome music, clean retro art style. What isn’t there to love about this game?

1. Jun 7, 2014
    Those guns feel rigid and lacking in power. [July 2014, p.78]
    A modern platformer focused on crafting and dressed in a wonderful retro garb. Sadly, it recycles itself way too much. [Issue#242]
  3. Jun 3, 2014
    While its 8-bit action RPG fusion fulfills a baseline addictive quality, frequent missteps and repetitiousness pushed me too far away to ever get hooked.