6.3

1. Mar 18, 2014
    I beat this game in 23 minutes. It's $30. That's more than $1/minute.

Don't buy this game. Rent it for a day. I own every MGS and every game Kojima has ever made (including Policenauts, Snacher, etc) Now that we've covered the fact that this is a $30 demo and a shameless cash-grab that will undoubtedly be a huge tarnish on the otherwise amazing reputation of our beloved Kojima,
    I beat this game in 23 minutes. It's $30. That's more than $1/minute.

Don't buy this game. Rent it for a day.

Now that we've covered the fact that this is a $30 demo and a shameless cash-grab that will undoubtedly be a huge tarnish on the otherwise amazing reputation of our beloved Kojima, let's move on to all of the changes to the game itself.

0.) NO CODEC! - You know that little communication radio? The small feature that let you call people, save games, get help, get hints, hear funny conversations, etc? You know, the little thing that has been in EVERY major MGS release? Well now it's in ALMOST every major MGS release. The codec is gone.

1.) No more camo - You remember that small "active camouflage" mechanic in MGS4? You know, the little mechanic that basically defined the series? Yeah, well that's gone. And not just it, the entire camouflage concept all together.

2.) Inventory - The simple, streamlined inventory that was perfected over generations of MGS' is just gone. Period. The simple HUD inventory that would momentarily paused the game while you accessed it has been replaced with an ultra-generic D-PAD option we've seen in so many other games. It also doesn't pause the game. This is a lot more irritating than you'd think.

3.) Health/Stamina gauges - It turns out that we didn't need these either. MGS has now joined the ranks of health-less, stamina-less, auto-regenerating shooters. How progressive.

4.) Rations/Drugs - Naturally, without a concern for health or energy, we don't really need rations or medications anymore, right? So if you're looking for that fix of Diazepam and a warm can of rations, you've come to the wrong place.

5.) Combat - Among other things, the CQC system we've gotten used to over the years has also been modified with an unusual *MENU* that appears when subduing an enemy in combat. The ability to stick to walls has also been altered.

6.) No more mini-map - This is a bigger deal than it sounds. If you remember, the mini-map showed you the visual field of the enemies in addition to navigating complex areas. Now to access your map it requires going into an entirely different screen.

7.) No Hiding - No more hiding in trash-cans or closets. If you're trying to get away from an enemy your only option is to run.. or lay on your belly.

8.) No easter-eggs - This is a huge one. This is an ENTIRE GAME without any obvious/interesting easter-eggs, funny messages, clever conversations, entertaining posters or weird magazines.

9.) Super-Generic Level - There is only ONE TINY MAP IN THIS ENTIRE GAME. It's a generic, open military base with no buildings, no interesting hiding spots, nothing.

10.) No saving - Autosaves only.

11.) No more money - This means no more Drebin, no more purchasing guns or items and no more upgrading.

12.) No card-board box - What more do I need to say about this one?

I hate to use the word "fanboy," but the people who are saying things like "the negative comments clearly come from people who have never played a metal gear game in there life" [sic] or operating on the "if you don't agree with me you're wrong" -mentality might have a *tiny* bit of bias :).
  2. Mar 21, 2014
    I'll keep this brief. Excellent gameplay, excellent graphics. It really shows off the power of PS4. The problem is the length & price. But it is a quite a disappointment. The story is really short. It's really a *prequel* to Phantom Pain. Anyone who is not a hardcore player (willing to replay for better score) should NOT GET THIS GAME. PERIOD. However, I am willing to let it slide becauseI'll keep this brief. Excellent gameplay, excellent graphics. It really shows off the power of PS4. The problem is the length & price. But it is a quite a disappointment. The story is really short. It's really a *prequel* to Phantom Pain. Anyone who is not a hardcore player (willing to replay for better score) should NOT GET THIS GAME. PERIOD. However, I am willing to let it slide because I like replaying MGS for better timing. *-In short, this game is a mixed bag for me, being a huge fan of MGS, but just a warning to new players, if you want to get in MGS, get the MGS HD Edition with MGS2, MGS3, and Peacewalker.-* Expand
  3. Mar 22, 2014
    The only reason why this review isn't a major 10 is because of the length.

I don't find it acceptable to launch basically a demo for 30$. If it was free, I would've praised them continuously until the launch of the full game. But this, this is just being greedy. Yes, it may take a few hours if you do side-missions, and it will probably take even 10 hours if you spend 8 hours looking
    The only reason why this review isn't a major 10 is because of the length.

Yes, it may take a few hours if you do side-missions, and it will probably take even 10 hours if you spend 8 hours looking at the sky, however, at the end of the day, it's a approx. 1 hour game, and it should be called a demo (and be free) if you ask me.

The game is amazing. The gameplay is well designed and complex, the graphics are flawless, and the story is interesting.
  4. Mar 23, 2014
    As good as this 'preview' was I cant help but have a sour taste in my mouth.

I paid £30 for this and while it sure was a good snapshot of whats to come, it still is a glorified demo.already its trade in value is £12 so even that is not an option to try claw back any cash. Its one of those games that if Netflix still rented games, I would get it just for this. My message is borrow
    As good as this 'preview' was I cant help but have a sour taste in my mouth.

My message is borrow this from a mate, dont buy it. Worth a play but dont pay!!!
  5. Mar 22, 2014
    excellent demo, 24 pound for a demo is way to expensive . looks amazing on the ps4 . i was well gutted when it was over . i would wait for the completed edition when phantom pain is release. penny pinching. avoid
  6. Jun 3, 2014
    As a huge fan or the Metal Gear series I couldn't wait to finally get a glimpse of what the next main installment of the series, The Phantom Pain, will be like and Ground Zeroes met my expectations. First of all, the game is beautiful and runs at a constant 60fps at 1080p on the PS4.

In terms of content, there has been much controversy and honestly it is understandable to an extent however I have had my fair share of hours put into the game and still haven't quite finished with it yet. There is a lot to do in Ground Zeroes and yes the main story can be finished in 10 minutes but if you're going to buy a game to rush to the end and then leave it why bother buying it in the first place.

I was a little disappointed to see that knocking on walls had been removed from the game but there are also new features that have been added to the series. Vehicles can be driven for the first time and still contribute to the stealth factor. The codec conversations are still missing, as they were in Peace Walker, but again this is understandable as they wouldn't fit the tempo of the game as they did in other Metal Gear games.

Metal Gear fans will love this game and will find more to do than those alien to the Metal Gear series so this really is just fan service for Metal Gear fans, such as myself, and I wouldn't recommend Ground Zeroes to people that are new to the series.

My only real quarrel with Ground Zeroes is not the length and content but the price. Honestly, at release, the game should've been at least half of the price that it was retailed at. But other than that I really enjoyed Ground Zeroes. Hopefully we'll see more of the same in The Phantom Pain and be taken on another ruse cruse by Kojima.
  7. Mar 23, 2014
    Before anyone disagrees with my opinion of ground zeros i simply ask that you click on "read this user's review's"! If you do, you'll see that i love this series, will always defend it but more importantly, I'll always be honest about my reviews! Well, lets get started. The graphics: simply amazing! I thought killzone shadowfall looked great but this games is amazing in the graphicsBefore anyone disagrees with my opinion of ground zeros i simply ask that you click on "read this user's review's"! If you do, you'll see that i love this series, will always defend it but more importantly, I'll always be honest about my reviews! Well, lets get started. The graphics: simply amazing! I thought killzone shadowfall looked great but this games is amazing in the graphics department. The gameplay is the same except you can run by pressing L3 which is(in my own opinion) weird to due in a metal gear game. Controls: well they are essentially the same with some exceptions like running. The radio is accessed by pressing L2. Story: um....you might want to sit down for this if you haven't heard it from mr. Kojima himself but this is nothing more than a demo! But it revoles around saving paz and chico which doesn't exactly go as planned. Your in a military camp with plenty of open space to traverse but sadly this is where the problems comes into play for ground zeros. I want to say that this camp is snakes personal play ground but there's so little to do in it besides sneak around,go all out or die! Almost all buildings are locked! But you can enter vehicles which, in retrospect, makes this worse since there's little to do in your environment. The camo system has been removed and replaced with...um....nothing! They also removed the boxes,bandages,rations, back pain meds,stamina gage when hanging and just about anything else that made metal gear solid...well...metal gear solid. This games atmosphere is far from any metal gear game,meaning, i didnt feel like i was playing metal gear but some sort of cheap knock off of metal gear! Why? Well, everytime you vet noticed, the game slows down time for you, giving you MORE than enough time to head shot any enemies who spotted you thus ending the alarm status if successful and you will be successful, and this is where this demo differs from previous entries in this great series. The metal gear mood has been replaced with your typical main stream third person shooter. Automatic health regen takes away the strategy that came with rations....i dont care about this game being short because this is nothing more than a cash grab demo which i rented. No one should buy this game, NO ONE! Fan or not, this demo sbould be avoided even by hardcore mgs fans. I see this demo being released along with the game of the year edition of the phantom pain! There's nothing exactly wrong with this demo with five extra missions but as far as metal gear games go...phantom pain seems to be heading in a different direction even though past metal gear games can still work! I give this demo what it actually deserves....5/10!! Since there's no way on this earth that ANYONE will keep playing this short demo with five missions that take place in the same area as the main mission, more than a few times....you'll forget this demo as quickly as it can be beaten! Expand
  8. Jun 3, 2014

Metal Gear fans will love this game and will find more to do than those alien to the Metal Gear series so this really is just fan service for Metal Gear fans, such as myself, and I wouldn't not recommend Ground Zeroes to people that are new to the series.

9. Jun 12, 2014
    What you get for your money is a lot of fun, but this is way too short. The controls are solid. The story was too short to make much sense. the sub mission offers some extra length but they are in the same location and aren't anything special.
  10. Mar 27, 2014
    Metal gear Ground Zeroes is unique in that there are things I love and hate about the game.

The positive points of this game: Lets start off by saying how great the graphics look because of the new fox engine. Even on older systems like the ps3 and the xbox 360 the world looks incredible. Lighting different different times of the day helps to show off how brilliant the fox engine

The positive points of this game:

Lets start off by saying how great the graphics look because of the new fox engine. Even on older systems like the ps3 and the xbox 360 the world looks incredible. Lighting different different times of the day helps to show off how brilliant the fox engine really is.

Controls have improved to feel much more natural. The game focuses on real time gameplay by taking away the camo index and the weapon and equipment windows and replacing them with one wheel for weapons and equipment. The new weapon wheel makes switching to different guns and your night visions goggles easy and quick. The system is simlar to using the d pad in games like Resident Evil 5 and Dead Space. The learning curve for this game is fast and finally the controls feel natural.

The Mechanics add to the depth of the game by introducing bullet drop when your weapon starts to get out of its effective range. Red cross hairs indicate where the bullet will hit while white cross hairs have to be adjusted because the player will have to aim a little higher at further distances to score a head shot on an enemy. The ability to tag soldiers to see their position on Snake's map helps to understand what corners and objects soldiers are behind. Destructible building and barriers help to add to the believably of this real world environment. Finally vehicles such as jeeps, trucks, and even tanks can be driven and can be used as the player sees fit.

The different missions all have different objectives to help the player really understand the different options the player has at his or her disposal as well as content to continue playing after the main story has been completed.

The AI has been vastly improved with enemy combatants being able to see you from far away. Running around is a good way to get spotted. Crouching and crawling is highly advised to avoid detection. Enemies are smarter and work together by radioing for backup and for additional soldiers to help investigate suspicious persons or when the power is turned off or security cameras are destroyed. Being an one giant open area the entire base will work together to attack you if discovered. Reflex mode has been added to give the player a slow motion second to neutralize the guards or shot a camera out if spotted to avoided a base wide alert.

Calling a transport helicopter into to different areas of the map make the player decide which area has the highest and lowest risk of the helicopter to be shot down by the enemy. The player can literally spend hours rescuing prisoners and knocking out Marines and having them extracted by the support chopper.

The bad points:
    The game is short no matter how much time you take to complete a mission. Most people can beat the story in an hour and half. My first play through having no idea what to do, I watched all the cut scenes, rescued all seven prisoners, and still used stealth to sneak around the base and my clear time was 44 minutes. That is the longest mission because most of the other missions and be beaten in 10 to 20 minutes depending on player skill and difficulty level.

The re playable content is really repetitive with the only thing that changes is the primary mission objective. There are six missions including the main story mission but they all involve the same map, so after the third of fourth mission you will already have the guards and the lay out of the base memorized.

The guards are always the same with no variety. One type of enemy with no boss fights in the entire game. The only thing the player has to worry about is if an enemy is in a tank, other than that you approach and fight every opponent exactly the same.

Metal Gear Solid fans will be sad to learn that many of the features in the old games have been left out of this game. The game has no cardboard box, no health or stamina bar, no rations, no codec calls, and very short cut scenes. Instead the game introduces regenerative health similar to Call of Duty with the screen turning red with blood spots until the player hides behind cover and waits for Snake's health to regenerate. Interactive codec calls have been replaced with Kaz Miller just talking about obvious hints for the player can undoubtedly figure out on their own with common sense. The gameplay feels more like a Splinter Cell game than a Metal Gear Solid game.

My final verdict:
    I give Ground Zeroes a 6 out of 10 because the game is fun in the short time that it lasts but the small amount of content makes me wonder how Konami justifies the 30 dollar price tag for next generation systems. The shift to new play style is both fun and disappointing for long term Metal Gear Solid fans. I would recommend for everyone to rent this game or if they have to own it buy it on last gen systems for 20 dollars because this game isn't worth 30 dollars.
  11. Mar 30, 2014
    I bought MGS Ground Zeroes simply because I love the MGS series and because my pocket allows me to do so.
    This game is simply a show-off of mechanics and graphics that will be fully introduced in MGS V: The Phantom Pain and nothing more. The plot content is nothing that couldn't have been put in a few words during the intro of the main game that is about to come. The graphics did not impress me and I hope that MGS V looks better. Photorealism is there though and is very good but character models still look like plastic. The movement is still a bit awkward and NPCs as well Snake move quite quickly without any physical realism.
    All the above and the very short duration of this game make me think of the same thing when I was reading the reviews for Ground Zeroes. I believe that Kojima is trying to help Konami stand on its feet before the release of the main game that will surely boost the company financially and to do so, we have this game on the shelves.
    I would also like to point out that people should stop criticising each other on how they spend their money on games. Journey was a short game full of brilliance, same with Gone Home and both of them cost a total of 20 pounds. Kojima has already made a name because of his amazing games thus the extra price. I am a fan of Kojima's work and I would even buy a 5 minute demo of his for 10 pounds. If that makes me stupid so be it.
    I totally understand the argument that we shouldn't promote a ''high price-low value'' culture in video games but I also strongly believe that this is up to us the gamers to decide. In the end we are the ones who form the market and decide where the market goes, what makes the highest sales and what games we really want. And I believe MGS is a game we still want in the market. If my purchase of Ground Zeroes can help that happen then I'm happy. As a game though, I expected much more.
  12. Jun 29, 2014
    Great game, great graphics, great story BUT very very very short, i completed it in 48 minutes, i bought it at 17.99 i still feel that was a bit over priced, wait for it to go real cheap and you have your self something to do and some trophies to collect
  13. Apr 13, 2015
    I'm truly disappointed, as a recent Metal Gear fan (I've played the collection a few month before playing Ground Zeroes) this feel just like Kojima has been forced to take part of the Phantom Pain experience to cash in some money for Konami. It lacks features that were present in the other MGS and would probably be in Phantom Pain (like Fulton system) and most of all it's way too short, 1I'm truly disappointed, as a recent Metal Gear fan (I've played the collection a few month before playing Ground Zeroes) this feel just like Kojima has been forced to take part of the Phantom Pain experience to cash in some money for Konami. It lacks features that were present in the other MGS and would probably be in Phantom Pain (like Fulton system) and most of all it's way too short, 1 hour for the main mission, 3 hours to complete all the Side and Extra ops (and they're all in the same area that the main mission).
    It's a shame because the gameplay (but not as much as others MGS because of the lack of tool/weapons), the graphics and the story are still amazing (and I do recommend to play it if you want the link between Peace Walker and Phantom Pain). It was just way too expensive, half priced (15€/$) or a rent are the best way to play it without having the feeling of being Konami's cow.
  14. Mar 18, 2014
    I don know why the fans support the theft to our pockets, because presents bad load of textures and very hilarious glitches, its a shame !! you can past the main level in 15 minutes avarage, and really my worship Is mgs but no this time
  15. Mar 18, 2014
    The gameplay is a mix of fluent mechanics mixed with gorgeous graphics. The lack of cinematics adds to the whole experience and what is produced is a worthy predecessor to Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain. My only criticism, and I know it won't be like this for MSG5, is that it was way to short. I think I got through it in about 2-3 hours. But I guess the fact I wanted to play it forThe gameplay is a mix of fluent mechanics mixed with gorgeous graphics. The lack of cinematics adds to the whole experience and what is produced is a worthy predecessor to Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain. My only criticism, and I know it won't be like this for MSG5, is that it was way to short. I think I got through it in about 2-3 hours. But I guess the fact I wanted to play it for longer is a good sign right? There's nothing worse than a terrible game that drags on for days and days that after you wouldn't touch with a 60ft pole (see my review on Rambo: The video game for more on that). Expand
  16. Apr 10, 2014
    It's hard to score this game a six, but it has to be done. The main reason MGS is so successful is because it offers hours of quirky, badly acted cutscenes. Here you get good acting (Keifer Sutherland as Snake) but little story or reason to press on with the "Campaign" or its side missions. The stealth gameplay is as tight as ever, with some new tricks up its sleeve and Hideo KojimaIt's hard to score this game a six, but it has to be done. The main reason MGS is so successful is because it offers hours of quirky, badly acted cutscenes. Here you get good acting (Keifer Sutherland as Snake) but little story or reason to press on with the "Campaign" or its side missions. The stealth gameplay is as tight as ever, with some new tricks up its sleeve and Hideo Kojima written all over it. The Music is on par with the previous titles (ie. Good) and visually its a great looker. The PS4 boasts the best version of all formats but for what you get for the money is very little. DEMO has been screamed from all corners and its hard to argue with. If you're a die hard MGS fan then snap it up, you'll collude with the game to make it more than it is which will make it very rewarding. For the rest, wait for the price to drop (Drastically!) or like me you'll be cursing your lack of patience. Expand
  17. Jul 25, 2014
    I enjoyed my first couple of playthroughs on the multiple missions in the same area but even as a self acclaimed die hard Metal Gear fan it was disapointing in many ways. The slapstick is gone. The humor that displaces all the serious tones, that lighten the mood, are replaced with attempts at tackling (and missing) controversial issues i.e. sexual violence. Ground Zeroes(GZ) is anI enjoyed my first couple of playthroughs on the multiple missions in the same area but even as a self acclaimed die hard Metal Gear fan it was disapointing in many ways. The slapstick is gone. The humor that displaces all the serious tones, that lighten the mood, are replaced with attempts at tackling (and missing) controversial issues i.e. sexual violence. Ground Zeroes(GZ) is an introduction and although people were going crazy for anything to do with The Phantom Pain(TPP), Konami should have kept it in their pants so to say. The story that is there for continuity issues only has 5 minutes of information that you can review on Wikipedia if you want to skip this entry. While I would've liked to critique him, Keifer Sutherland utters maybe 30+ words (8 of them sounding like they were recorded in a trash can) through the entirety of game play and I hope that this is not foreboding shadow of what is to come while Kaz yells in your ear the entire mission. I like my Snake more rhetorical. We will most likely see GZ attached to TPP whenever it is released and maybe we will see the true potential then. For now try Red Box or catch a digital sale. It's worth purchasing for 10-15$ if your a fan. Expand
  18. Mar 22, 2014
    Ok, vamos a dejar algo claro: compré Ground Zeroes sabiendo que era un juego corto y no me molesta eso. El problema es que no se siente como un Metal Gear.
    No hay opción de camuflaje, no hay llamadas de codec (con las que descubrías un poco más de la historia, y escuchabas graciosas conversaciones), se han perdido muchas características clásicas de MGS. El valor de GZ radica en su rejugabilidad, para poder obtener todos los parches XOF, cassetes y mejores tiempos en línea, pero créeme, te aburrirás de jugar las mismas misiones una y otra vez. No merece la pena comprarlo, RENTALO durante un fin de semana y ahorrate 500 pesos mexicanos.
  19. Mar 21, 2014
    I wanna start off with the game looks great were finally starting to see next gen quality. The map to me is straight forward, the level is nice and open. Heres were it goes bad for me, I played splinter cell blacklist so im kinda spoiled because its a mix of stealth great tools,combat run and gun also many different ways to complete a level, however you wanna play it is up to you. WithI wanna start off with the game looks great were finally starting to see next gen quality. The map to me is straight forward, the level is nice and open. Heres were it goes bad for me, I played splinter cell blacklist so im kinda spoiled because its a mix of stealth great tools,combat run and gun also many different ways to complete a level, however you wanna play it is up to you. With this game it wants to have stealth however you cant go into air ducts you can barely climb anything. you can only duck and hide behind things. Its really just buildings and structures placed in a open area, stealth seems impossible you get seen very easily. seems like it really just becomes a run and gun kill fest . which by the way there isnt even any really cool tools to use. besides the tank vehicle you can hop in and go crazy with. So to wrap it up run through it in a couple hours if you can find what to do without getting stuck and enjoy next gen graphics.. Expand
  20. Sep 9, 2014
    I knew it was a short game so didn't take any points off for that, but I did take a point off for getting 1/2 of the story from text and only having maybe 10 min total of cinematic story. I also took points off of the changes they made to the interface system. Anyone who's grown to love the way metal gear games are setup, will be probably feel annoyed that these changes are a stepI knew it was a short game so didn't take any points off for that, but I did take a point off for getting 1/2 of the story from text and only having maybe 10 min total of cinematic story. I also took points off of the changes they made to the interface system. Anyone who's grown to love the way metal gear games are setup, will be probably feel annoyed that these changes are a step backwards, not forward, from previous iterations. The graphics were good, but not 'next-gen' quality yet, so hopefully the next game fixes that plus the interface. Expand
  21. Apr 29, 2014
    While the argument of how short Ground Zeroes is has been beaten to death, what is here is a good game, and shows what is to come in the upcoming follow up, The Phantom Pain. The story, however short, is simple but good, tying up the story's of both the previous game, Peace Walker, and Phantom Pain. The gameplay is very, pardon the pun, solid. As previous Metal Gear games have, stealth isWhile the argument of how short Ground Zeroes is has been beaten to death, what is here is a good game, and shows what is to come in the upcoming follow up, The Phantom Pain. The story, however short, is simple but good, tying up the story's of both the previous game, Peace Walker, and Phantom Pain. The gameplay is very, pardon the pun, solid. As previous Metal Gear games have, stealth is preferred over action, with kills actually weighing down your score after completion of a mission. After completion of the primary mission, you have access to 5 additional missions, each with varied objectives. A sixth mission is unlocked following the collection of all nine of the game's "XOF patches," and the mission you unlock depends on what system you are playing on. However, there is one gripe I have with this game, which is shared by many others: it's price. The game for me just barely reaches the $20 asking price for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 digital download, but not quite worth the $30 price for 360/PS3 physical and Xbox One and PS4 physical/digital. But if you get past it's short length and debatable pricing, Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes is a great sign of things to come for the Metal Gear series. Expand
  22. Jun 6, 2014
    We're not getting the Phantom Pain for a while, so Konami shipped out Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes to fill in the gap and hold over the fans who've been waiting for a game. Unfortunately, because of that, fans of the Metal Gear series received an incredibly fun experience, but ultimately, a fraction of a full game.

First, I want to state what's good about this game. The first

First, I want to state what's good about this game. The first thing is the gameplay, which is easily the best it's ever been for the franchise. I personally have never felt more in control of my character in any game before this one. All of the movements you're capable of doing is amazing. You can perform CQC moves around corners, over ledges, and even while sprinting, with the only thing missing being attacks from above. Instead of dragging enemies to areas to hide them, Snake puts an enemy on his shoulders, allowing you to run freely, crouch, sprint, and even aim your gun. If you want to drag an enemy while in a choke-hold, you no longer have to stand to do so. You can bring the enemy down low to hide yourself better. The movement in this game is incredibly freeing and flexible.

Stealth has been improved too. Instead of just making sure the enemy doesn't see you, you can use the environment to obscure you. Moving in darker areas, staying low, and hiding in foliage are all new elements you can use to make Snake harder to spot. Also, even when enemies see you, you usually have time to hide yourself before the enemy can identify you.

To compensate for the lack of any radar, the game added two new features, one of which is the reflex mode. When an enemy spots and identifies you as an threat, time slows down for a short time, allowing you to put an enemy down with your gun, or (if you're close enough), put the enemy in a choke hold. Plus, reflex usually only applies to one enemy, unless multiple enemies see you at the same time, which rarely happens. In some situations, I was able to activate reflex mode to take down one guy, and then reactivate it when a second enemy saw me, allowing me to take down him as well. Mastering this skill will allow you to easily take down a small group of enemies, giving you some satisfying take downs. Admittedly, this can make the game pretty easy, but if you don't like it, you can turn it off in options. Also, you have the ability to make enemies, allowing you to see them from any position, even through walls. Both the reflex and mark abilities are incredible mechanics.

Graphics are incredibly detailed, with beautiful environments and incredibly well done character models and runs at a buttery smooth 60 frames per seconds, and the soundtrack is amazing, easily living up to the music that the Metal Gear series is known for.

The gameplay and presentation of this game is amazing. Unfortunately, what makes this game disappointing is how little of it you actually get.

Any fan knows that this game received a lot of flak for it's run time of two hours or less. The truth is, it's even shorter than that. On my first try, I completed the game in 82 minutes, without knowing where the objectives are and without knowing the layout of the map in my head. There are side missions, but these missions average at around 15 minutes a piece, meaning you have less than four hours of gameplay here. Now, it is true that you can one hundred percent the game, and most gamers will probably try to one hundred percent it. However, this concept is flawed.

When I look at a game that was fun to one hundred percent, I think of the Batman Arkham series. I've done that for all three games, but I could not bring myself to do that on here because most of the side objectives are tedious, boring, or just plain stupid. I can understand the game wanting me to S rank all missions, or wanting me to kill all the enemies, use no weapons, or set off any alerts, because that's fun and challenging. However, asking me to mark all enemies, rescue all the prisoners, find all cassette tapes, as well as several other repetitive tasks isn't fun. One objective simply requires you to play the mission a second time. That's it. Plus, a lot of these objectives are unlocked by completing the others, so you can't do a lot of these objectives simultaneously. That means, to complete this game, you have to a S rank a mission on both difficulties, which usually doesn't happen on the first try, then complete all the extra objectives, which requires about five playthroughs, and even more if you screw up. So, you'll end up havign to play each mission about 6 or seven times. This makes every mission repetitive and takes away from the game's overall fun.

In the end, Ground Zeroes has great gameplay and an amazing presentation, which shows that Phantom Pain could easily be one of the best games of the year when it comes out. However, Ground Zeroes' overall lack of content and cheap replay value leave me with a sour taste in my mouth toward it, which is ultimately very sad for what could've been a great game.
  23. Mar 22, 2014
    This game is just RIDICULOUSLY short! I mean Seriously!!! I thought the Campaign in Titanfall was short But 1 HOUR AND 30 MINUTES???? Ridiculous. Length aside, I enjoyed every moment of it the gameplay was solid, the fps remains smooth, the graphics are AMAZING! But it was too short to enjoy it sadly.
    I think this is a demo! It's WAY Too short! I hope that Phantom Pain will be much more long!
    I thought Kojima would make a 10 hours plus game! I don't want to spend more money on Phantom Pain cause it's 30 Dollar is already too much for 1 Hour and 30 minutes!
    Hell even one of my friends completed it in 30 MINUTES!!!
    I am extremely worried about Kojima.
    Oh right NO BOSS FIGHTS!?!?!??!
    I THOUGHT METAL GEAR WAS SUPPOSED TO PUT IN AMAZING BOSS FIGHTS!!!!
    Please Kojima Make Phantom Pain Worth the money.
  24. Mar 18, 2014
    It really is hard to justify purchasing this game for the amount that they are asking for, but what you do get is a brilliant taste of what's to come. I'm a diehard Metal Gear fan, so I may be a little biased to go easy on this, but the gameplay that is present here is awesome. The graphics are the best of this console generation so far, the amount of detail is astounding. There is moreIt really is hard to justify purchasing this game for the amount that they are asking for, but what you do get is a brilliant taste of what's to come. I'm a diehard Metal Gear fan, so I may be a little biased to go easy on this, but the gameplay that is present here is awesome. The graphics are the best of this console generation so far, the amount of detail is astounding. There is more here than people are letting on, and this is definitely a game that warrants multiple playthroughs. Still, for 30 bucks you honestly are not getting enough for the asking price. Recommended for people with burnable income or hardcore Metal Gear fans. Expand
  25. Mar 18, 2014
    Little faults to the game itself. The main one, is the length.
    you CAN finish the game in 20 minutes if you wish. That reduces from the final value by a lot, and right now I consider it NOT a short game, but a long DEMO, and expensive for a demo.

if the game was even 5 dollars cheaper, it would be easier to recommend, but right now, I can mainly recommend it to loyal fans
  26. Mar 18, 2014
    Hideo Kojima said that this game is an early access to TPP which, in other words, means it's a demo, an overpriced demo. I don't care how good MGS is, no game is worth $30 (£25) if it's only 1-2 hours long. Avoid buying this game, even if you're a MGS fanboy, because by buying this game, you're supporting the gaming industry into developing 30 secs game for $60. This game is to trickHideo Kojima said that this game is an early access to TPP which, in other words, means it's a demo, an overpriced demo. I don't care how good MGS is, no game is worth $30 (£25) if it's only 1-2 hours long. Avoid buying this game, even if you're a MGS fanboy, because by buying this game, you're supporting the gaming industry into developing 30 secs game for $60. This game is to trick fanboys into buying this game, don't fall for this scheme. You can defend this game all you want but if a franchise you aren't a fan of does the same thing, you'll be the first in line to complain about how it's a rip-off and the developers aren't being fair to the consumers (pure fanboyism right there). So yes, pretty much my main complaint is the game's short length but that's justifiable giving that the game cost half the full price (no developers should get away with that). If you really want to play this game, wait until it's in the bargain bin since you would still have to wait ages for the actual game anyway. I give this game a 7 because the gameplay is what you would expect from a MGS game. But save your money on other games (or things) or even for the future when the actual game (TPP) finally releases. You'll be glad you didn't have to save up that much. You won't miss out on anything if you watch the walkthrough on YT intstead. The exclusive content for TPP that you get with this game doesn't justify the game for it's short length, not worth it. I don't know about you but I would rather pay full price for TPP (even if I have to wait for it) then pay full price for TPP and pay half for the demo so that I can play a little bit of TPP now. See the difference? Expand
  27. Mar 18, 2014
    Its a prologue, It has never been disguised to be a full game.
    Yes we have all heard about the speed run, however there are loads of side missions etc and as a true MGS fan, Im loving the exploring and doing the missions in different ways each time.
    The graphics are very good, and the gameplay is also good. Yes it is short, however I would rather pay £20 for this instead of buying a
    Its a prologue, It has never been disguised to be a full game.

The graphics are very good, and the gameplay is also good.

Yes it is short, however I would rather pay £20 for this instead of buying a map pack for Battlefield for £15 that should come with the game, or a season pass for titanfall that costs £20 for a horde mode and some more maps, to me this is ripping people off as it should be on the disc.

MGS5 Phantom Pain isn't out for another year, so Im more then happy to pay £20 for this.

I have seen people speed run Zelda Ocarina of Time in 18 minutes, I don't care.
    Don't listen to reviews people, if your a fan of MGS then why are you even on the fence, get this!

NOT voting a 10 as no David Hayter and that to me is a huge kick in the balls.
  28. Mar 19, 2014
    It's clear from the start what this game was trying to accomplish. It's here to give us a taste for the upcoming full release of MGS 5, most likely coming next year. And there's alot to like here. I loved the new gameplay and the open world vibe it had going on. But there's something to be said about the arrogance of Hideo Kojima when he thinks he can release a glorified demo, throw inIt's clear from the start what this game was trying to accomplish. It's here to give us a taste for the upcoming full release of MGS 5, most likely coming next year. And there's alot to like here. I loved the new gameplay and the open world vibe it had going on. But there's something to be said about the arrogance of Hideo Kojima when he thinks he can release a glorified demo, throw in some tacked on side missions, and try to call it a full game. However, there's alot to like here and that's the reason why I'm not blasting this game. The main campaign has a good future if this is the type of game we'll be playing. I loved how everything was done and it came together. Plus, 30 dollars, while high, isn't as high as it once was. If this game was still 40 dollars, I would have given it a zero. But the fact still remains that something that should have been a downloadable only game for about 20 bucks was released as a full title. There's also something to be said about Kiefer Sutherland playing Snake. While he wasn't bad, it just isn't the same as with David Hayter. He WAS Snake and taking him away from the character that made his name is just sad. Plus it just sounds so wrong not to hear the regular Snake voice we've all grown to love. The decision has been made but I can already tell you it was a bad one. Expand
  29. Mar 20, 2014
    i love everything Metal Gear and was very excited to play this. I have to say that i was not disappointing in my experience with it, i found that the sneaking mechanics and the controls in general worked really well. if i had gotten stuck at a part i quickly decided to change my approach to the situation and figure out a better way to do the task. The only thing i didn't like about thisi love everything Metal Gear and was very excited to play this. I have to say that i was not disappointing in my experience with it, i found that the sneaking mechanics and the controls in general worked really well. if i had gotten stuck at a part i quickly decided to change my approach to the situation and figure out a better way to do the task. The only thing i didn't like about this game was that the main story was kind of short, but there's a bunch of side missions that i plan to keep me distracted for more time to come. Expand
  30. Apr 5, 2014
    Whether or not you want to pay full price for this prologue depends entirely on what you expect to get out of this. If you just want the next part of the MGS story and you don't care about the challenge involved in the game, then you'll probably be disappointed. There isn't a lot of story here. If that's all you want, you should probably just wait until they sell it for a deep discount.Whether or not you want to pay full price for this prologue depends entirely on what you expect to get out of this. If you just want the next part of the MGS story and you don't care about the challenge involved in the game, then you'll probably be disappointed. There isn't a lot of story here. If that's all you want, you should probably just wait until they sell it for a deep discount. If, however, you are more interested in the gameplay and challenge aspects of the MGS franchise, you might actually be able to get a lot of value out of this game. Achievement hunters, completionists, and stealth aficionados will easily get their money's worth and have fun doing it. I know I did. Despite there only being one location for all of the missions, the different insertion points, objectives, and configurations make each mission distinctive and interesting. Not going to lie, I would have appreciated more story, but I'm still mostly happy with what I got. Expand
  31. Mar 20, 2014
    It's nothing more than a glorified demo of the real game, but in its short span it succeeds in advertising a darker Metal Gear Solid. There are many changes introduced in Ground Zeroes, all for the better, Kojima has mastered the art of fusing cinematic with gameplay. Cutscenes are now continuously shot, almost in Alfonso Cuarón's style (director of the movie Gravity), bridging gaming andIt's nothing more than a glorified demo of the real game, but in its short span it succeeds in advertising a darker Metal Gear Solid. There are many changes introduced in Ground Zeroes, all for the better, Kojima has mastered the art of fusing cinematic with gameplay. Cutscenes are now continuously shot, almost in Alfonso Cuarón's style (director of the movie Gravity), bridging gaming and cinema viewing in one fluid motion.

Ground Zeroes immediately follows the story of Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker. For those who haven't played the PSP port game, worry not, Ground Zeroes offers backstory and Paz's diary to acclimate new comers. However, the knowledge of the prequel would make the short game more sympathetic. One thing that differs significantly is the tone, while Peace Walker wasn't exactly all sunshine and rainbow, Ground Zeroes is detectably more somber and brutal.

The size of the map is relatively large compared to areas from previous games; it also erases the transition between regions smoothly, although this scale is not nearly enough for a whole game. Fortunately, there are plenty of effects at play; lighting and rain effects are splendid. It presents glossy texture, well defined facial feature and smooth movement animation while using very little loading time. These graphical prowess converses well into events, the superb editing ensures that there's barely any cut or shift between scenes.

HUD has seen a bit of modification, map as well as on-screen display are presented in real time. Big Boss can mark targets or points of interest which is relayed to in-game visual. The mark system is rather similar to Batman Arkham's detective vision, although marked targets can only be sighted when Big Boss is stationary. The graphic is refined to more accommodate tactical gameplay, its only shortcomings are plastic grass and occasional pop-up in Xbox 360, but they are minor hindrances at best.

There are practically small selection of content, the story campaign and only several other side missions. The amount of gameplay featured in Ground Zeroes is just the bare essential. Basic such as hiding using covers or neutralizing enemies is taught in simple tutorials. Elements provide more interactions as different time will affect how well they can detect Big Boss; they will also react accordingly depending on the nature of the mission.

More advanced tactics and combat are available if players are willing to search deeper, but the arsenal is limited. There's bound to be more in the future as Kojima tends to create more opportunity to tackle challenges, although with such transformation in tone, there might be less comical methods. The use of helicopter extraction also proves that Phantom Pain could support simulation gameplay like Mother Base in Peace Walker.

One of the more distinguished changes in Ground Zeroes is Kiefer Sutherland as Big Boss. David Hayter has been the trademark voice of Snake for years, while it may have been for the best as Sutherland's voice fit the gritty vibe, it will be awkward for Metal Gear fans at first. Sound effects are familiar; the tracks are subtle yet powerful.

Paz's tapes from Peace Walker can be heard here as well, these honest diaries are cheerful yet also painful as she's torn between her duty and emotions. Despite the short cutscenes, everyone does an excellent performance. The sad song "Here's to You" is icing on the cake. It's a short-lived experience, but nothing less than an emotionally moving one.

The game only provides two hours of campaign, it has few others side ops, but since the setting is rehearsed in the same place, it might feel too confining. Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes is an odd one, the story is undeniably brilliant, even more so considering its brief existence, but it can't be considered a full game as it's not meant to be as such. It is, by the series comparison, the equivalent of prologue and extra VR missions.

=============================================
  32. Apr 24, 2014
    Despite being a game with great gameplay and beautiful graphics, Ground Zeroes fails to deliver a compelling prologue to the Phantom Pain. If the Phantom Pain can deliver a compelling story with the same other attributes of Ground Zeroes, we can expect a great game in the future.
  33. Jun 30, 2014
    Super duper late review of this game. Finished this game a couple weeks ago. To tell the truth i've never played this series before, so i'm kinda clueless about what's going on. Well the story is about Solid "Big Boss" Snake who was trying to save his comrades, Chico & Paco, from the enemy camp. Well, those two are pretty much in a bad shape after some torturing, and it's up to the "BigSuper duper late review of this game. Finished this game a couple weeks ago. To tell the truth i've never played this series before, so i'm kinda clueless about what's going on. Well the story is about Solid "Big Boss" Snake who was trying to save his comrades, Chico & Paco, from the enemy camp. Well, those two are pretty much in a bad shape after some torturing, and it's up to the "Big Boss" to save them.

Plus point:
    - Played this on PS4, i must say that it has a stunning graphic, and with 60fps, this game is just awesome. One of the visually beautiful game on PS4 at the moment.
    - One map to rule them all. Well, as you know, this MGS is partially sandbox. You can ride a jeep, tank, use an anti-air gun to take out your enemies. Well, the map isn't that big, so it's easy to remember places.
    - Fun side mission. You can save Hideo Kojima in one of the side mission. Heh, it's good to be a game producer. You can make yourself into a game character lol.

Minus point:
    - Not so heavy arsenal. There are like limited type of weaponry that you can use in this game. And most of it makes a very loud noises, and the enemy will find you as soon as possible.
    - It gave us 2 style of playing this game. Stealth or Frontal War. But the point is, you can't clear the game in a Frontal War. Enemy will respawn endlessly, unless you went into hiding. As i'm not very good at stealth game, this kind of game is my natural enemy.
    - For having only 1 story mission, this game cost half of one original game, and that's expenive. Well, personally i think that this game should cost only like $9.99. More like a DLC rather than a standalone game. Even, Infamous: Blood Festival is longer than this game.

The verdict:
    Metal Gear Solid V : Ground Zeroes is a solid intro to the Phantom Pain, it's fun to play and visually stunning. But having only one story mission that you can finish in like 10 minutes, and cost around $25, makes me feels like it's not worth buying it as a new game, but oh well, since i played this on PS4, the graphic itself is worth $15 + gameplay maybe $10.
    So 7/10 for this game. — playing Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes.
  34. Jul 1, 2014
    Everything about this game is of the highest standard bar the length of play, I completed it including side missions in a single evening! So it's definitely not value for money, I suggest buying it when it's on discount!
  35. Mar 19, 2014
    Rent it!

Rent it!

Honestly that's the best advice I can give for this game both for MGS fans and newbies to the series. MGSV:GZ is a very nice open sandbox mission with a nice moody environment during a night thunderstorm. And the gameplay is great offering a new "reflex" mode if you get spotted by an enemy which slows down into bullet time mode allowing you to take out the enemy with a headshot. You can also you a various array of vehicles to get anywhere you want on the map if you prefer going guns blazing.

That all being said the biggest problem with this game is it's length. If you take your time on the main mission and collect all the XOF patches and rescue all the prisoners you can finish it in about 3 hours. But on my first run I ended up finishing it in an hour. There are some extra side missions that are set on the same map but they're only there as an extra mode and don't really offer anything different since it's all on the same map, with the exception of Deja Vu mode where you have to recreate scene's from previous MGS games by getting poses and camera exactly right.

All in all you can cover everything in the game in about 5 hours, and honestly at the price they're asking for, I cannot recommend buying this game. If you're interested in the game, rent it. That's the nicest advice I can offer. Otherwise you're best waiting for The Phantom Pain.
  36. Mar 18, 2014
    I think a lot of people are missing the point. Since Ground Zeroes is a prologue to The Phantom Pain, it serves as an appetizer before the main course. This isn't an excuse, I'm telling it how it is. It's quality over quantity and even after you finish the main mission, there are still 4 side ops to complete, XOF tags to find, and the console exclusive missions "deja vu" and "jamais vu".I think a lot of people are missing the point. Since Ground Zeroes is a prologue to The Phantom Pain, it serves as an appetizer before the main course. This isn't an excuse, I'm telling it how it is. It's quality over quantity and even after you finish the main mission, there are still 4 side ops to complete, XOF tags to find, and the console exclusive missions "deja vu" and "jamais vu". It's $19 for the standard PS3 and XBOX 360 version's and $29.99 for the next gen versions. which I believe to be a fair price for what you get. Now, if the game stuck with the original $40 or even $60 release, then that is a problem but to give a game like this a 2 or 0 when some of you haven't even played it and are just going of the reports of critics is a bit ridiculous. Some complaints I do have with the game is the lack of story as the majority we have already seen through previous demo's of the game (excluding the audio logs) and the ending didn't bring really bring the "shock factor" as it feels a bit shoehorned just to establish how dark The Phantom Pain may be. Expand
  37. Mar 20, 2014
    I'm just happy to have something on PS4 to play. It looks good. Plays good. Is fun. Yep it's short. The AI is excellent. Over it's pretty good. $30 worth of good? Maybe $20 worth.
  38. Mar 20, 2014
    I bought this game yesterday and it took me about an hour and a half the first play through. The graphics, controls, gameplay, and story are top notch, as is always the case with Metal Gear. For $30, I suppose it's worth it, even though it feels like a glorified demo. It's definitely worth at least 2-3 play throughs, and the side missions will add another few hours of gameplay. I canI bought this game yesterday and it took me about an hour and a half the first play through. The graphics, controls, gameplay, and story are top notch, as is always the case with Metal Gear. For $30, I suppose it's worth it, even though it feels like a glorified demo. It's definitely worth at least 2-3 play throughs, and the side missions will add another few hours of gameplay. I can think of many other games that are twice as expensive, that you can finish in a few hours, so $30 for Ground Zeroes isn't that bad. Can't wait for the full game! Expand
  39. May 13, 2014
    Well, lets see: I finished the main story line in 69 minutes. I didnt played any MGS before :P

The strong points of this game: Awesome graphics, good game play, good replay value + side Ops AND a lot cheaper than "regular" PS4 games.

Weak points: SHORT SHORT SHORT AND SHORT. Not so much content
  40. Mar 22, 2014
    Okay, I won't even mention the length in this review. But over-all, this game is Disappointing. It's like metal gear solid 2 coated in shiny graphics and a higher frame rate. There is no significant improvement in gameplay, and the Enemy AI is so dated! the enemy soldiers would patrol in a linear fashion, and behave erratically when they see you. Combat mechanics and movement feelOkay, I won't even mention the length in this review. But over-all, this game is Disappointing. It's like metal gear solid 2 coated in shiny graphics and a higher frame rate. There is no significant improvement in gameplay, and the Enemy AI is so dated! the enemy soldiers would patrol in a linear fashion, and behave erratically when they see you. Combat mechanics and movement feel unnatural and clunky. I would give this a 10, back in 1999. I pity Konami for releasing an unpolished game, and for selling us a game, which is incomplete even in "demo" and "beta" standards. This is a warning on how the full game can, and will fail. Expand
  41. Mar 20, 2014
    MGS V Ground Zeroes is a great Demo. This being Said the game play is Smooth and really enjoyable.
    the problem is the length and the Story. The main Story last for me 75 minutes and without spoiler.... like if there is something to spoil. The Story TELL US NOTHING. at all there is side ops but they are kind of dumb and just here to justify the 29,99 Price Tag. If you want to enjoy MGS V Ground Zeroes the Best Way possible and it is hard for me to say this Because i am a MGS Fan Since the first one on PlayStation 1. But Honestly everyone, Rent it, Ask a friend to lend it to you or leave your skype and PSN and goes to a friends house to try it. I give the game this score because i am pretty sure Phantom pain gonna be Excellent. And this is the base of it
  42. Feb 5, 2015
    Let's get this out of the way IT"S A DEMO TO MGS:V PP, but it's a good demo. During the events after Peace Walker, Big Boss is on a mission to save two agents in a Base in Cuba and that's it. The main mission is short and will take at least more than an hour on our first try. There are also other short mission to play as well. The gameplay is fun and the controls are perfect. The graphicsLet's get this out of the way IT"S A DEMO TO MGS:V PP, but it's a good demo. During the events after Peace Walker, Big Boss is on a mission to save two agents in a Base in Cuba and that's it. The main mission is short and will take at least more than an hour on our first try. There are also other short mission to play as well. The gameplay is fun and the controls are perfect. The graphics are good looking for the PS4, but with all the positives, there are some big negative. It's a $20-30 dollars demo for something I think it should be at least five to ten dollars for a game like this that is just wrong. I like the concept and enjoy it, but if you want to play Metal gear Solid game play MSG 1-4 first to get to know the story and for a better time. Expand
  43. Jul 31, 2014
    Just did a rental and did not finish the game, but experienced weird situations where you think you killed all enemies in an area then suddenly one just appears and finds a dead body. Very frustrating and just killed my interest to go on.
  44. Jan 29, 2016
    Metal Gear Solid V Ground Zeroes is a blatantly obvious cash grab by Konami, a demo which could have easily have come with Castlevania Los 2. But we haven't had a proper Metal Gear Solid game in a long time, so why not make it a standalone 40$ package sold in stores. The meat of Ground Zeroes is the main mission, where Big Boss rescues the two POW's , Chico and Paz... that's really allMetal Gear Solid V Ground Zeroes is a blatantly obvious cash grab by Konami, a demo which could have easily have come with Castlevania Los 2. But we haven't had a proper Metal Gear Solid game in a long time, so why not make it a standalone 40$ package sold in stores. The meat of Ground Zeroes is the main mission, where Big Boss rescues the two POW's , Chico and Paz... that's really all the story material that Ground Zeroes offers. To be fair, it take a while on your first play through, you're killing guards, sneaking past searchlights and all that good stuff, so it will take you a good hour on your first play through, but if you really wanted you could beat this demo in 5 minutes. However, if you're a long-time Metal Gear Solid fan, then you have paid more than 30$ for less of a demo. you all remember Zone Of The Enders, we all know you only bought it for the Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo, you're not fooling anyone. The graphics in Ground Zeroes are absolutely amazing, filling every little nook and cranny with as much detail as possible, the Fox Engine is absolutely incredible. The gameplay is even better, aim and fire weapons with the left and right triggers, use the D-Pad to select items and RB to use your binoculars that allow you to mark enemies. everything runs at a buttery smooth 60 FPS. there is a new reflex mode that, if you get spotted, throws the game into slow motion, giving you a couple of seconds to take out the guy who spotted you. I personally don't think you should buy this game, just go on Wikipedia if you want to know the story, and if you're totally desperate to play it, rent the game, or split the money with you're friend, then use it as a drink coaster while you play the full fledged Phantom Pain. Expand
  45. Aug 21, 2015
    : Ground Zeroes showcases Kojima Productions' FOX Engine, a true next-generation game engine which promises to revolutionize the Metal Gear Solid experience. The first Metal Gear Solid title to offer open world gameplay. Ground Zeroes offers total freedom of play: how missions are undertaken is entirely down to the user. Unrestricted stealth: Imagine classic Metal Gear gameplay but with no: Ground Zeroes showcases Kojima Productions' FOX Engine, a true next-generation game engine which promises to revolutionize the Metal Gear Solid experience. The first Metal Gear Solid title to offer open world gameplay. Ground Zeroes offers total freedom of play: how missions are undertaken is entirely down to the user. Unrestricted stealth: Imagine classic Metal Gear gameplay but with no restrictions or boundaries. Players use intelligence and cerebral strategy to sneak their way through entire missions, or go in all guns blazing. Each will have different effects on game consequences and advancement. Multiple missions and tasks - Ground Zeroes boasts a central story mode and Side-Ops missions ranging from tactical action, aerial assaults and "covert" missions that will be sure to surprise. Ground Zeroes users will benefit from a clean in-game HUD that shows the minimal amount of on-screen data to give a more intense gaming experience. [Konami] Expand
  46. Apr 16, 2016
    El precio de salida del juego me pareció realmente desorbitado. La politica actual de dlc, expansiones y contenido extras está matando a la industria. Considero que este capitulo deberia haber estado incluido dentro de The Phantom Pain o salir a un precio de 10-15€. En cuanto al juego como tal es soberbio, siendo el mejor metal gear solid en lo que a jugabilidad se refiere. Por contraEl precio de salida del juego me pareció realmente desorbitado. La politica actual de dlc, expansiones y contenido extras está matando a la industria. Considero que este capitulo deberia haber estado incluido dentro de The Phantom Pain o salir a un precio de 10-15€. En cuanto al juego como tal es soberbio, siendo el mejor metal gear solid en lo que a jugabilidad se refiere. Por contra completar el juego al 100% tan solo te costará 12-15 horas. Expand
  47. Jan 14, 2015
    This game finally rolled around in my Gamefly queue and I'm honestly wishing it hadn't. Others have mentioned the length issue so I won't retrod that ground. All I want to know is: What in the hell is happening to the Metal Gear franchise? As someone who played since the beginning of Metal Gear back on NES, I've watched as the game has changed from action to tactical action to tacticalThis game finally rolled around in my Gamefly queue and I'm honestly wishing it hadn't. Others have mentioned the length issue so I won't retrod that ground. All I want to know is: What in the hell is happening to the Metal Gear franchise? As someone who played since the beginning of Metal Gear back on NES, I've watched as the game has changed from action to tactical action to tactical espionage and, modernly, a "cinematic" experience. MGS1 and MGS2 undeniably had some lengthy codex sequences but they usually came in between lengthy periods of gameplay. Beginning with MGS3 and increasing throughout MGS4 and now MGS5: Ground Zeroes, the player spends most of their time listening to dialog or sitting in cutscenes with actual gameplay limited to sneak-and-shoot just long enough to trigger more dialog or more cutscenes. Even the story telling falls by the wayside, lost amid the spectacle of "did you see that cutscene!" hype.

At this point, I wish Kojima would just retire the series and turn it into the movie franchise he clearly has wanted it to be since MGS3.
  48. May 9, 2014
    We all knew that this game would be short but I did not think it would be as short as it was.. Side missions or not, this game is too short for the price you pay.. I bought this on release for 45 dollars (hard copy) I know that it is cheaper in the USA but 45 dollars is a rip off for this game no matter where you live. Yes there are side missions that will extend your time playing but ItWe all knew that this game would be short but I did not think it would be as short as it was.. Side missions or not, this game is too short for the price you pay.. I bought this on release for 45 dollars (hard copy) I know that it is cheaper in the USA but 45 dollars is a rip off for this game no matter where you live. Yes there are side missions that will extend your time playing but It still isn't enough. I beat the game in under an hour and didn't even rush..
    The graphics are very good especially on PS4 but graphics do not make games.. People complained about Dead Rising 2 Prologue that was only 5 bucks and had more content than this game did but since this is a Metal Gear Solid game nobody complains?? People need to get their priorities straight. This game is basically the size of the tanker chapter In metal gear 2
  49. Sep 2, 2015
    Essentially an extended demo for what is promising to be a fantastic fifth chapter in the Metal Gear Solid series, Ground Zeroes consists of an hour long story and 6 additional shorter missions all set in a large internment camp. It may be short but it does a great job of demonstrating the type of freedom Konami are hoping to provide in the soon to be released game and, providing you canEssentially an extended demo for what is promising to be a fantastic fifth chapter in the Metal Gear Solid series, Ground Zeroes consists of an hour long story and 6 additional shorter missions all set in a large internment camp. It may be short but it does a great job of demonstrating the type of freedom Konami are hoping to provide in the soon to be released game and, providing you can find it for a fair price, its well worth playing. Expand
  50. Mar 23, 2016
    Got Ground Zero for free. Thank you PS+. A very short game but Konami claims there will be high replay value. Completed the game. Very nice graphics and cool stealth play. The only problem is, every mission you are doing the same thing, sneaking around, knocking out a guy on patrol. Getting spotted and run and hide for a few minutes. Then same thing all over, every mission. Thank goodnessGot Ground Zero for free. Thank you PS+. A very short game but Konami claims there will be high replay value. Completed the game. Very nice graphics and cool stealth play. The only problem is, every mission you are doing the same thing, sneaking around, knocking out a guy on patrol. Getting spotted and run and hide for a few minutes. Then same thing all over, every mission. Thank goodness this is a short game, cos imagine doing this in Phantom Pain all the way through... It's gets so repetitive and how long you want to be sneaking around anyway? It's not fun after 1 hour. So thanks for showing me the gameplay that is to be in Phantom Pain. Cos now I know I won't buy it and won't have to waste time on it cos I won't enjoy it. Many people would. Not me though.

Another problem I have with the game is the main character. Guys, it's 2015 well, 2016 now why can't we create our character?? I don't want to play this random old man with an eye patch. Same thing with the Witcher, who happen to be even older than Venom Snake. Omg what's with the popularity of old men these days?? lol.

It's not a terrible game as I said, the game mechanic is quite solid. Just repetitive (like my review). But playing GZ once, I don't know if I want anymore of Metal Gear.. Alright then. Signing out.
  51. Feb 26, 2017
    Not fun, not even the slightest. Missions are frustrating and retries numerous. Nice tech demo, but sucks to play. This is for the hardcore fans only.
  52. Jul 14, 2015
    I wouldn't have bothered with this game had it not been for it being offered up with my PS Plus subscription. While, yes, the main game is very short, and yes, it wasn't worth the price it was sold for, it's still a good game and is insanely replayable. I've never really been one for playing games over and over again but i've gotten a lot more mileage out of this game than i have manyI wouldn't have bothered with this game had it not been for it being offered up with my PS Plus subscription. While, yes, the main game is very short, and yes, it wasn't worth the price it was sold for, it's still a good game and is insanely replayable. I've never really been one for playing games over and over again but i've gotten a lot more mileage out of this game than i have many games i bought for full retail price (*cough* Destiny *cough*). With that being said, it is definitely not worth your money, at least not $30 of it. Expand
  53. Mar 24, 2014
    Anybody who defends the price point and content is destroying a consumer based ecosystem that we have now in gaming! With tweets we have changed so many things! The fact they changed the price shows they knew it was going to be defended by the "crazies"! That means Kojima new his series has enough fan boy crazies that he could get away with this! I am disgusted! I compare these people toAnybody who defends the price point and content is destroying a consumer based ecosystem that we have now in gaming! With tweets we have changed so many things! The fact they changed the price shows they knew it was going to be defended by the "crazies"! That means Kojima new his series has enough fan boy crazies that he could get away with this! I am disgusted! I compare these people to those that defend Nazi Germany because it didn't hurt them! So here is a calling to all logical human beings! Make these rich crazies know they are playing a roll in hurting gaming! Tell them why and then remove them from your friends list! I don't associate with people that don't have empathy or a understanding that you vote with the Almighty Dollar! Obrigado Expand
  54. Sep 9, 2014
    This game is way to short. I ended up completing this game in 3 hours. But they where the best 3 hours of gameplay in my life and now I am hyped for MGS V: PP.... Dammit Konami...
  55. Apr 4, 2014
    I am not a hardcore Metal Gear Solid fan, but I am very impressed by the gameplay. This game's graphics are also very impressive using the PS4's to the fullest. I like the sandbox gameplay, and the combat system. A few things I didn't like about this game though. I didn't like that there is no mini map on the main screen. I don't know if that's how most MGS games are, but it gotI am not a hardcore Metal Gear Solid fan, but I am very impressed by the gameplay. This game's graphics are also very impressive using the PS4's to the fullest. I like the sandbox gameplay, and the combat system. A few things I didn't like about this game though. I didn't like that there is no mini map on the main screen. I don't know if that's how most MGS games are, but it got pretty annoying pressing a button to go back to the map. And, of course what everyone's been talking about, I finished the first mission, went into a great scene, then, BOOM, credits, and to be continued...wtf? Sure there are side quests and stuff, but still not worth the money. In my opinion, this game should have been a free demo or a downloadable game (not more than $14.99) to promote their upcoming game. If you can get it used, I highly recommend it.

Instagram: Game_Row
  56. Apr 21, 2014
    Don't buy this game. It would be a disservice to your self. But why, it's Kojima and Metal Gear so it's bound to be good, and it is, but it's a poor value. Fans and non fans alike expect their Metal Gear games to have lengthy campaigns, gripping story's, strategic stealth segments, mixed with action and amazing boss battles.
    Now the campaign's GAMEPLAY is superb! The A.I is intelligent,
    Now the campaign's GAMEPLAY is superb! The A.I is intelligent, acting realistic, never being to dumb or over sensitive. The Fox Engine is amazing, creating a graphical experience like no other, immersing you not only with its graphical fidelity, but also with its realistic sound design. To be honest I enjoyed every moment. So that makes it 30 minutes of fun. How much would you pay for that? 1 maybe 2 dollars? NO! Guess what you'll be paying... 30 dollars!!!!!! 30 DOLLARS!!!!! WTF?! And don't say you can do the side missions because they're about 2 minutes each, adding an extra 10 minutes to the game at max. Despite the story having an interesting premise, it fails to grip you purely because of its length. You're tasked with rescuing captured soldiers behind enemy lines. Sounds cool doesn't it, but as soon as things get good, the game abruptly ends. In addition to this, there's not a singal boss fight in the game, something Metal Gear games are famous for. To add insult to injury, there's not even a cardboard box in game! WTF!? Screw you people who wanted fan service outside of some 2 minute side mission. And ironically, it's the hardcore Metal Gear fans defending the game. So after this review you'd think this game would have pretty low sales. WRONG! This game exploits people's excitement for Metal Gear Solid The Phantom Pain, just so Konami can make a quick bit of money. No. No mater how good the gameplay is nobody should buy this game. NOBODY!
  57. PMG
    Jul 9, 2014
    Now this game has made me a MGS fan and i am so exited for The Phantom Pain. It might not be the biggest open world, but it offers a lot of ways to infiltrate the enemy base. It is just that i rarely use any of the weapons other then the Trang gun. The main mission is a risky endeavor and i like how unlinear it is. That said, 30$ is **** ridiculous! The main mission can be completed inNow this game has made me a MGS fan and i am so exited for The Phantom Pain. It might not be the biggest open world, but it offers a lot of ways to infiltrate the enemy base. It is just that i rarely use any of the weapons other then the Trang gun. The main mission is a risky endeavor and i like how unlinear it is. That said, 30$ is **** ridiculous! The main mission can be completed in under an hour and the side missions aren't much longer. If it were realised to those that were PS Plus, i would recoment it if you wanna play the same mission over and over again like me to justifi its pricepoint, but else... Don't. Expand
  58. Nov 6, 2015
    I really don't like more and more games trying to make this "teaser game" formula work, anyway...

This game is good - not great. You'll have fun exploring the same areas to find more secrets, and there's not much content at all. You'll be able to clear the entire game 100% with all the achievements in around 5-6 hours with little to no effort. It looks great, controls okay. Can get boring really fast.
  59. Mar 27, 2014
    Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes is a prologue to an upcoming game Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain and works as a teaser to what is yet to come from the full "Metal Gear Experience". Here are a list of my thoughts after completing the game.

PROS: OPEN WORLD. Open world allows multiple ways of tackling your current objective (infiltrate the base on a back of a truck or sneak in

PROS:
    OPEN WORLD. Open world allows multiple ways of tackling your current objective (infiltrate the base on a back of a truck or sneak in without drawing the guards' attention for example) and exploration for items or guards to interrogate for more information.
    MOVEMENT. Snake moves smoothly and changes stances dynamically on the move compared to previous games' tank-like controls.
    REPLAY VALUE. Each mission has two difficulty settings, ranks depending on your score during a said mission and trials to unlock. My total game time was boosted up to 15 hours from completing the missions on S-rank, finding all the hidden items and unlocking all the trials.
    MARKING. In an open world it's hard to keep track of your enemies hence the inclusion of marking. Really makes the game lot less frustrating if you scout the area a bit and mark some enemies with your binos.
    REFLEX MODE. In addition to the marking the reflex mode was introduced, too. This can be turned off for added difficulty and points.
    WEATHER and LIGHTING. The weather conditions affect the patrolling guard AI significantly: the rain muffles the sound of your footsteps and the brighter the day is the farther the guards can see.
    CUT SCENES. The near flawless transition from game play to cut scene is great.
    DIFFICULTY CUSTOMIZATION. People craving for more difficulty can handicap their game play thorough multiple options... and setting rules for themselves like "neutralize all guards with hold-ups" or something similar.
    GUARD AI (At least on Hard difficulty). If you get spotted, you are likely to go down since these guards swarm and seal all the possible escape routes. Their increased vision and hearing make the even tougher than their Normal counterparts

MIXED:
    CONTEXT SENSITIVE ACTIONS. Leaning on a wall or box can get clunky if done in tight spaces.
    CRAWLING. Your main mode of transportation can be really clunky when you are about to crawl in tights spaces or over tiny objects bolted on the ground.
    RADIO. I hope we get to see fully realized radio in The Phantom Pain like in the previous installments.
    MISSION LENGTH. My first play through of the first mission took about 90 minutes as I was exploring and sneaking around aside from the current objective. If done efficiently the missions can be completed well under 30 mins and speed ran in even less.

CONS:
    STORY. This feels like a "third final real ending" to the Peace Walker. Not much happens what hasn't been shown in the trailers. Though the best is yet to come in The Phantom Pain.
    WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION. The Tranquilizer and INFINITE magazines. The game becomes really easy if these two are exploited. Highly suggest to handicap your usage of these if you want more difficulty.

From game play and presentation alone, I give Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes 7/10.
    Don't buy it if you can rent it or borrow it but it's definitely worth a shot for the game play alone.
  60. Apr 8, 2014
    What the hell this is the shortest game perhaps ever made. You can beat it in 5 mins. If you include the side missions its less then 4 hours. But the game is awesome this is AAA stuff here , the graphics mind-blowing , gameplay solid. But here the punch line after the credits is a trailer for the phantom pain I think its called only demos do that guys. Its a paid demo and I have to give itWhat the hell this is the shortest game perhaps ever made. You can beat it in 5 mins. If you include the side missions its less then 4 hours. But the game is awesome this is AAA stuff here , the graphics mind-blowing , gameplay solid. But here the punch line after the credits is a trailer for the phantom pain I think its called only demos do that guys. Its a paid demo and I have to give it 5/10 great game poor value. Expand
  61. Apr 2, 2014
    Heureusement que je l'avais loué car autrement j'aurai été extrêmement déçu
    Le visuel est superbe, mais extrêmement cout et la course d'infiltration n'est pas géniale
    Je préfère les vrais jeux d'infiltration à la splinter cell double agent où le chronomètre n'est pas un gage de score élevé Cet opus aurai du être une démo pour acheter la suite, là je n'ai pas envie d'aller plus loin
    Heureusement que je l'avais loué car autrement j'aurai été extrêmement déçu
  62. Mar 21, 2014
    Game look's great and has the best game play of the franchise yet, saying that it's still hard for me to give it anything more than a 7 due to the price. if your a hardcore mgs fan you'll get your money's worth but if your not I suggest you wait for a price drop to avoid feeling disappointed.
  63. Mar 23, 2014
    Graphically this game is a showcase piece to show off the power of the PS4. During a couple of the cut-scenes it was hard to not be amazed at how this game looks. During the one to three hours it takes to complete the single player campaign it will be hard to not stop and look around and just be impressed.

Playing through the campaign a couple of times it becomes apparent that this

Playing through the campaign a couple of times it becomes apparent that this game is all about choices, like most other MGS games you can take the stealth approach and be rewarded for it or kill everyone in your way and while you won't be punished, your final score will be lower.

The controls are still a little clunky at times, when you are prone and moving around, Snake has a tendency to do whatever he wants until you get used to it. At times it reminded me of the old tank controls for MGS on PS1 and it made me laugh.

If you are in this for just the campaign, you will be disappointed by it's length but there is a lot to see here with the side missions.

I really did enjoy this game for what it was, it's a preview of Phantom Pain, an expensive one at that.

It is short but sweet and it show's a taste of what's to come but unless you are in need of a MGS fix, it might be worth waiting for Phantom Pain and picking this game up a week or two before it comes out as it will probably be down to $15-20.
  64. Mar 23, 2014
    I jumped in after picking up on a discussion in some kind of covert fanboy thread suggesting there were 5 "missions". Well guess what; much to my chagrin the credits roll after you have completed the sole mission or rather the sole environment a Guantanamo style camp. Is that a spoiler or am I saving you the true spoiler; the feckin credits rolling so unbelievably early! The rest areI jumped in after picking up on a discussion in some kind of covert fanboy thread suggesting there were 5 "missions". Well guess what; much to my chagrin the credits roll after you have completed the sole mission or rather the sole environment a Guantanamo style camp. Is that a spoiler or am I saving you the true spoiler; the feckin credits rolling so unbelievably early! The rest are replay side-ops, within same said environment and I never replay a game........ so damn hard to rate this over 5. Technically impressive if a er, little sparse. €30 it cost me :/ Expand
  65. Mar 31, 2014
    Alright... here is what I'm going to say.... It's a demo, a flat out demo, it broke my heart that i have to pay $30 for this. It was a ripoff. But here what you need to know, is it a bad game? F*CK NO!!! This game is beautiful, the graphics are amazing! the gameplay is just amazing! It's a masterpiece! but it's poor value is the reason why this game got a low rating. But I know that KojimaAlright... here is what I'm going to say.... It's a demo, a flat out demo, it broke my heart that i have to pay $30 for this. It was a ripoff. But here what you need to know, is it a bad game? F*CK NO!!! This game is beautiful, the graphics are amazing! the gameplay is just amazing! It's a masterpiece! but it's poor value is the reason why this game got a low rating. But I know that Kojima will make it up to us. I know that The Phantom Pain will make up for this mistake. DON't fail me Kojima! I'm counting on you! Expand
  66. Apr 29, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Bought this game expecting another great installment of the Metal Gear series and played through it in under a couple of hours. After watching the several different cut scenes and wondering when there would be another playable section... There wasn't.

In the only main mission offered, you fight through it to get the best time possible and if you actual get caught there is little to no hope of getting a decent time or score. The graphics were amazing, the AI was awesome, and the play style was what you come to expect from these games. The only thing lacking was paying half the price of a brand new game for nothing more than one mission and some side missions.

I suppose that I knew going in that it wasn't going to bed a full game but I still hoped on more than one mission. Maybe half of a real game for half the price?

The one upside was that I cannot wait to play the next game and will have it the day it comes out. That final cut scene makes me want to know more!

So all in all... Great graphics, great story, but not worth the money. 5/10 from me...

As always, This is Steps
  67. May 30, 2014
    GREAT game, but NO value at all. Graphics are amazing and framerate is smooth (60 fps), gameplay is phenomenal and missions are challenging, but I finished it the night I bought it, which was really frustrating. Lets wait for The Phantom Pain
  68. May 29, 2014
    Graphics: 9.0 Sound: 9.0 Gameplay: 9.0 Fun/Story: 5.0

Great graphics, sound and gameplay. But it´s too short for the price. And the side missions should´t be the evasion because they are in the same environment and it´s similar of replaying the main mission. To be released, this should be free.
  69. Nov 21, 2015
    Metal Gear Solid V ; Ground Zeroes

Game-Play:The game-play is excellent it really blow my mind it fit perfectly with the stealth and action . Story:Their is not a lot of story here because it is a prologue but still is a very good introduction to The Phantom Pain.It will take you to complete it about 1 hour and a half. Graphics:The graphics in this game are perfect and really
    Metal Gear Solid V ; Ground Zeroes

Graphics:The graphics in this game are perfect and really realistic.

Notes:The main reason I give this game a 5 is because I find the full price of 30 or 40 dollars insult towards games and the gaming community because it is so short I think that this game should be in the phantom pain of at least it could cost 10 dollars so this game is mediocre and you should buy it in a huge price drop or rent it.
  70. Oct 26, 2014
    The asking price is inexcusable for the amount of content offered, but for a rental Ground Zeroes is a wonderfully presented showcase of the MGSV engine that should get fans salivating for the next entry while they master the intricate stealth.
  71. Jan 4, 2015
    Pretty good game-play, graphics and setting. Best 2 hour game ever made. But that's the problem. This is a $40 2 hr. demo and good as it is I am ashamed at Konami's lack of shame and decency to release this. This should have been $15 MAX. Especially after playing through P.T which is also from Konami all I can say is that I can't wait to play Phantom Pain but I'm gonna take a pass on GZ.
  72. Nov 15, 2014
    I just signed up especially to review this game.

First of all, I am a fan of MGS series. I didn't play all the games, but really excited to know that MGS V is about to release. So you can imagine my (and not only mine) surprise when I saw THAT. People can call this by different names, but definitely it cannot be called the GAME. But now I don't want to speak about how short this game.
    I just signed up especially to review this game.

But now I don't want to speak about how short this game. I don't want to tell again and again how unfair to pay $40 for THIS prologue/demo. Something happened to the game creators at the world, unfortunately including these gigantic game producers like Hideo Kojima. They, for some reason, began to lose. Something what they have earned by hard-work, something what can not be returned by simple ways - their REPUTATION. And if KONAMI allows itself to publish the game in state like this, so we, the gamers, can understand just one thing - it's not about the reputation, unfortunately it's all about the money...
    Let's leave that behind. There is still some technical/game problem that make the game even worse:
    1) When you move the weapon sight from side to side, sometimes the sight just jump to the left or to the right or you see TWO sights together until you don't even know where you gonna shoot.
    2) Have you ever seen in some game that your suppressor can worn out??? Oh, yeah. In this game you can hear something like this :" Now your suppressor worn out, so think before your shoot". Any logic???
    3) Map - reaaalllyy could be better.
    4) HUGE FPS drop when you inside the tank and using fps mode.

Well,of course there is many positive things like AMAZING graphics, incredible sound and spectacular actors playing, but anyway, there is some smell of "we payed for the demo and this is f...ed it up"...
  73. Dec 29, 2014
    Yes the main mission of this game is short. However, with all the other missions it comes with you can definitely get your moneys worth of play time out of it. Especially if you are an MGS newbie like me, it took me a few hours to start getting some decent scores on all the missions.

The last time i played an MGS game was quite a few years ago, and its great to see how this prequel to MGS the phantom pain has expanded the options for how you approach each of the missions. Run in guns blazing or take the more stealthy approach. That's where this game shines. The stealthy approach offers a lot of opportunity for creative play.

Unfortunately, after a few play through's you start to wish for the expanded arsenal promised in MGS phantom pain. This game just serves to whet your appetite for the next release. And thats where it loses points for me. For all its got going for it, its just missing alot to be called a full fledged release.

If you are like me and are looking to sharpen your MGS skills and see how far this game has come, then pick this up. Gameplay is solid enough that you don't really have to know much about the story.
  74. Feb 6, 2015
    Should a game be judged based on its length to the price you paid? To an extent. Simply put this game is fantastic. I love it to hell and back. Of course I'm a fanboy of MGS, but in all fairness all of the previous games kicked major ass. This one is good to! However, where this game has great sound design, lovely gameplay, interesting characters (if you already knew who they were) and allShould a game be judged based on its length to the price you paid? To an extent. Simply put this game is fantastic. I love it to hell and back. Of course I'm a fanboy of MGS, but in all fairness all of the previous games kicked major ass. This one is good to! However, where this game has great sound design, lovely gameplay, interesting characters (if you already knew who they were) and all the love I expect from a MGS game...except for the story. I'm mad because the story is really just not there. For me, it's amazing! But I know these characters, I'm already attached to them. Kojima, I love you to death. But don't do this again. Expand
  75. Jun 5, 2015
    Another PS+ review really.

Another PS+ review really.

I'm outright not a fan of the MGS series. I found the PS2 / PS3 games far to intricate for my liking, mainly as it's so heavily stealth based. However, after downloading MGSV GZ this week, I found myself a little hooked instantly, and completed it within 3 nights. The controls feel a little arsey, but it doesn't hinder this being a good little FPS / strategy.

The graphics were excellent, the cut scenes and gameplay fluently roll between and unlike previous games, it doesn't make you sit through huge chunks of cut scenes, another pet hate from the older ones.

It's a really good little game and as a MGS hater, I find I can't flaw Ground Zeroes for any reason.

Recommend a download and play to all PS+ members, and even if its reduced in sale to £10 in the future, pick it up as a prequal to what should be a great title
  76. Jul 14, 2015
    This game is freaking fantastic! It's an awesome demo of what the phantom pain is going to be. But that is all it is a demo. The main issue with the game is the asking price. The game plus all the side ops is around 5 hours long which is in excusable for $40. However considering that the game these days has been dropped to $10 on average I will not give it a hard time. The gameplay isThis game is freaking fantastic! It's an awesome demo of what the phantom pain is going to be. But that is all it is a demo. The main issue with the game is the asking price. The game plus all the side ops is around 5 hours long which is in excusable for $40. However considering that the game these days has been dropped to $10 on average I will not give it a hard time. The gameplay is really good although quite different from your average MGS game. If the phantom pain is like this it will be one of the best games for the 8th generation. Overall I think its a pretty good game but don't buy it at full price and if your not ok with paying money for a flat out tech demo just rent it since there is very little story and content here. Expand
  77. Apr 5, 2015
    Let me just start off by saying this game was extremely short, way too short. I know this is just a prequel to the actual game Metal Gear solid V: Phantom Pains coming out in 2015. But this was not even worth the money. The graphics obviously seemed pretty good, but for such a famous franchise, and to be on next gen, it just looked so rushed it's like they didn't even care.
  78. Jun 20, 2015
    I can't understand how this demo-game can be sold, it should be free (it actually is during this month on PS+...)
    There's only 1 mission, which doesn't take more than 2 hours to complete for someone who never played MGS. There also are secondary missions but they are not interesting.
    However, it's a pleasure to play this, and after completing the mission, you'll want to know what happens next. So, if we resume, MGS V GS will make you buy MGS V The Phantom Pain, and we all know that's the point of Ground Zeroes
  79. Jun 21, 2015
    Hugely replayable with stellar graphics and gameplay. Despite this, it really does feel like a glorified demo for The Phantom Pain. As good a demo as it is.
  80. Jul 27, 2015
    I am a humongous stealth game fan, science fiction fan, and most importantly Metal Gear fan. After the masterpiece MGS4 (which is my favorite game of all time) I thought that there would be no new MGS games (mainstream anyway.) So when i heard of a new game, including the prelude game, ground zeroes, i did a double back flip.

Now, one thing that i must get out of the way, that every

Now, one thing that i must get out of the way, that every reviewer is going to bring up, the length. Yes the game is short. Yes, i beat the main mission in a matter of an hour. That doesn't mean i didn't enjoy it. I actually very much enjoyed it. It offers much more refined gameplay than any metal gear solid game that i have ever played, which i hope MGS5: the phantom pain can improve upon even more.

The game is also highly replayable in my opinion. No, not for the collectibles, but for the immense amount of choice there is. You can choose what route you wish to take to infiltrate the base. You can sneak in, you can go in guns blazing, you can snipe from a vantage point, you can recon, there is just so much variability here.

There are also some side missions, called "side ops" here. They offer some great variation and extra content. On the downside, they use the same tired map from the main mission. It would have been nice to see some other locations. Another thing i must bring up is the price. The full retail price is 40 dollars, but i bought it a few days after launch for 30 dollars, paired with a PS plus discount.

Ground zeroes is a taste of what is to come in phantom pain. I just wish they would have had this as the prologue of phantom pain instead of selling it as almost full retail. Would i recommend it? mmm, only if you can get it a discounted price, or if it's free on PS plus. 7/10
  81. Sep 17, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I wanted to delete my rating entirely but Metacritic won't let me do that (or delete my account either apparently WTF).

My initial reaction was to the fact that Hayter was replaced with Sutherland (hearing his voice today coming out of Snake's mouth literally made me angry) however I have since learned that that isn't the real Big Boss (at least in Phantom Pain). I would be totally on board if that was the explanation however Kojima didn't swap out JP voice actors so it doesn't hold up.
  82. Sep 7, 2015

Metal Gear Solid V: GZ is a big disappointment

+ Gameplay
    + Deja vu from MGS

- Short
    - Too expensive for the content
    - Story not interesting
    - Simply not what was expected
  83. Nov 15, 2015
    The gameplay is great!
    The new open world stealth mechanics take a while to get used to, but it's great once you experiment on how to get to your objective. It's enjoyable, and the new features this game has to other MGS games are awesome!
    The gameplay is great!
    ...but don't buy this game. This game only lasts one hour, and while there's a lot of replay value, there isn't much to Ground Zeroes, but the gameplay gave us an idea of what The Phantom Pain would be like. This game, while has some interesting gameplay, should not exist. Don't buy this game, wait for it to be on sale or rent it if you want to try it out; even though this game is pointless to play now that The Phantom Pain is out.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes gets a 7/10.
  84. Oct 28, 2015
    There is something fundamental that people need to understand about this "title". It's a demo. Now us old gamers might remember way back in the day, right before Metal Gear Solid came out for PS1. If any of you old timers are like me, you were probably reading Playstation Magazine (at least I think that's where I got the DEMO DISC). Back then you would get a monthly demo disc of all theThere is something fundamental that people need to understand about this "title". It's a demo. Now us old gamers might remember way back in the day, right before Metal Gear Solid came out for PS1. If any of you old timers are like me, you were probably reading Playstation Magazine (at least I think that's where I got the DEMO DISC). Back then you would get a monthly demo disc of all the latest and greatest games for the price of the magazine (I think was like $7.99 or something). It was a great basically free DEMO. It's unfortunate that the game industry has led us into greed the way it has charging a demo for $20+. It would have been nice if konomi had released it on PSN for free the way Destiny did. This game is a demo as you can see and as such should be bought at Gamestop and then within seven days returned after you beat the 1 hour or so game time for full refund. That's really the best you can do. It is a good way to get used to the controls and gameplay used in Phantom Pain but beyond that it's a scam. With that being said, the story is hard to follow and kinda half assed compared to the original (and Sons of Liberty demo) which really just played the beginning of the full game. I honestly think Konomi and Kojomi have simply lost their minds but that's ok because the Metal gear vibe is there and I honestly can't wait to play Phantom Pain just to get my MGS fix. Expand
  85. Nov 14, 2015
    A good preview of The Phantom Pain. I won't talk about all the "paying demo" controversy. However, I noticed a funny thing, missions and level design of Ground Zeroes are globally more interesting than those of Phantom Pain...
  86. Dec 3, 2015
    There was really no reason for this game to be made!!!!!! it could've just been in the phantom pain, i honestly think it was made so that big fans wouldn't have to wait to long but it's starting price at $40 is insane!!!!! i beat it in like 45 minutes and some people have beaten in 6 no lie, as it starts to get fun it just ends, this should be free don't buy just watch a you tube videoThere was really no reason for this game to be made!!!!!! it could've just been in the phantom pain, i honestly think it was made so that big fans wouldn't have to wait to long but it's starting price at $40 is insane!!!!! i beat it in like 45 minutes and some people have beaten in 6 no lie, as it starts to get fun it just ends, this should be free don't buy just watch a you tube video walk-through or something. Expand
  87. Dec 27, 2015

88. Jun 5, 2016
    The actual game itself is superb in every way, with amazing graphics and extremely fun gameplay that cleverly and seamlessly switches between action and stealth, but it is RIDICULOUSLY OVERPRICED. Even with the price reduction, it is not worth it's asking price. It is a demo, and it barely achieves that. With the release of the Phantom Pain, the gameplay is combined with a great story toThe actual game itself is superb in every way, with amazing graphics and extremely fun gameplay that cleverly and seamlessly switches between action and stealth, but it is RIDICULOUSLY OVERPRICED. Even with the price reduction, it is not worth it's asking price. It is a demo, and it barely achieves that. With the release of the Phantom Pain, the gameplay is combined with a great story to make a Game of the Year experience, but this game is unforgivable. Expand
  89. Feb 1, 2017
    Do I really have to say much about an hour to two hour game/demo that's been talked about for a long while.

All I can really say is that play this before Phantom Pain because the differences with gameplay are almost too enough to really hate it.

But the fox engine still looks amazing.

1. Jul 3, 2014
    There might be an interesting game in this engine, but it’s not here, not yet, and as a result Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes is at best a very expensive demo that should only be approached with the lowest expectations.
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    May 16, 2014
    Newbies will be lost, veterans not satisfied. It’s firing on all cylinders but the rounds don’t last. Nice showcase of the new engine, though. [Issue#241]
  3. Pelit (Finland)