6.3

1. Nov 15, 2013
    Best auto game ever! Works like a charm on PS4. I'm really impressed with the gameplay and the graphics. The multyplayer is very entertaining. A small downside, but nothing to make me not to rate this at 10, are the fps lock at 30. EA execceded my expectations with this new NFS.
  2. Nov 15, 2013
    Since rivals is the only racing game on ps4, it may take your free time. Open world is large and beautiful, and you can see most turns clearly, unlike in mw2012. Cars are nice, so is their customization. All drive feature is fun, and since the events are randomly generated, you can drive as long as you like without completing the same event again and again. I wish I had Driveclub, but unfortunately it's been delayed, so nfs is a good temporary replacement and 4 day exclusive to ps4)) Expand
  3. Nov 16, 2013
    Awesome game and i'm not from EA. The MP of this game is the best. The only thing that i miss is the music of HP when you were on a pursuit (it was a very good dramatic music). But this is not HP so it's ok. If you liked HP 2010 and MW 2005 you really should try this game.
  4. Nov 17, 2013
    I played for about a half hour before I had to stop. I don't understand the high critic reviews for NFS. The handling is as ridiculous as always and I guess it'll stay that way. The graphics look alright, but not "next-gen"
  5. Nov 15, 2013
    all the 10 reviews i bet are from ea!this games is more of the same!but still it's awesome!can there ever be an open world rracer with split screen?and offline challenges?/that what's missing!
  6. Nov 17, 2013
    This game was unique to me, but I got tired of it shortly after. This game and battlefield in my opinion are the best 2 first ps4 games that have came out so far. As you look at the games coming out for ps4 you have to think this is just the beginning my friends.
  7. Nov 17, 2013
    FIRST IMPRESSIONS: Are good. I'm not interested in car games so true to life that I'm going to drive my Corvette into a wall every time I have to turn at 20+MPH. So NFD has always kinda been my racer of choice. But this one feels a bit better. Looks polished, although not so next-gen (I don't know if that's a complaint about my first foray into PS4 or this game). Controls son't take long to get the hang of and in my 2nd hour i'm drifting the length of every tuen and have traded in the brake for the Jake. The best part is that "oh sh*t" feeling when your heat is up, and you're sitting on 100,000 SP and some real-world player in a Lambo cop car comes flying off a side street and you know the only way you're going to get to a safe house and bank your points is by the skin of your teeth! Cruising the streets effortlessly with real world players is quite engrossing. Great fun so far! Expand
  8. Nov 18, 2013
    This is one of the best racing games I have played in a long time. With all the dissappointing racing games in the need for speed series this was definitely a welcomed addition to the series. Not since Burnout 3 have I had this much fun with a racing game.
  9. Nov 19, 2013
    I've been a huge fan of Hot Pursuit and Most Wanted, and Ghost Studios does a fantastic job of carrying the torch passed to them by Criterion. This game is BEAUTIFUL. On top of that, while it may be similar to past titles, it is the best iteration thus far. I don't mind if it feels similar as long as it keeps it fresh and adds new features, which Rivals definitely delivers on. Thanks Ghost Studios!!!

(P.S. I'm not from EA and I'm not being payed to do this
  10. Nov 19, 2013
    What an amazing game! Non-stop gameplay. I love it! Felt the same when i'm played Hot Pursuit and High Stakes in 90s. This is a truly one of the best NFS in the history. Enjoyable, lovely, stylish. AllDrive with real players is awesome! All cars feels are nicely and realisting, heavy drifty challenger and snappy powerful GT3, its awesome difference, classy! Little things in gameplay are really cool e.g. realistic tires smoke, red-hot brake discs on some cars, living world & enviroment. Great sounds and soundtrack. Boldly give 10! points Expand
  11. Mar 21, 2014
    How can I buy a racing game that dont have 2 players split screen? I have to buy 2 consoles and 2 games to play with my brother?

Is that it? REALLY? These developers, they've been much better, long time ago.

Today we live on a very ironic time, you can use 4 joysticks, but even a racing game allows play with 2.

EA GO HOME, YOU ARE DRUNK.
  12. Nov 16, 2013
    The game is graphically gorgeous and I like that there are many different paths a racer can take to get to the same destination that are off the normal grid. I think that EA did a great job on the multiplayer aspect of the game as it allows for multiple human racers to interact with one another cooperatively or competitively as they are completing objectives. In general I don't feel EA took any risks in making this game as it is not much different then any other racing game. They did however drastically improve on the graphics. My main compliant so far is EA really screwed up on the intro/tutorial of the game. It was by far the worst tutorial for a racing game I've ever encountered. I felt like I was forced to spend 45 minutes of listening to cut scenes and tutorial videos before I was allowed to actually race. This definitely took away from my initial experience with the game. It gets better after the intro the main problem is the intro takes too long and is not fun. Expand
  13. Nov 19, 2013
    The racing is somewhat flawless, the cops are aggressive, the roads and environments are beautiful, the personalization options have a lot of depth for a NFS game that isn't Underground (but who wants to put a bodykit on a Aston Martin Vanquish), the car list is pro-exotic and features the newest cars in the world, Ferrari is finally back since Hot Pursuit 2, All-Drive sets the bar for multi-player open world racing games, the car handling is spot on, the story could be better. I love everything about this game.

Not only is this the PS4's best launch title, but it's the best Need for Speed game to date. Better than Underground, Most Wanted,Carbon Hot Pursuit, High Stakes, Shift, Porsche Unleashed. Any NFS game you care to name, this game integrates features from them into the game in some way.
  14. Feb 5, 2014
    Sadly disappointed to have wasted my money on this game. The AI is ridiculous and unfair; there is no skill involved with this game. You can be racing a perfect race, using nitrous on the home stretch and the AI will still blow past you taking turns at full speed while there is literally nothing you can do. Earned thousands of Speed Points by playing the game like "Destruction Derby" meanwhile the races are completely unbalanced and all of your skillful racing goes out the window due to unfair AI speed advantages.. Another reviewer called it "Rubberband AI", never heard the expression but whatever it is blows. Going back to the store for whatever I can get in Trade In Value, the game sucks. All of these high reviews make me laugh , they must have reviewed it after playing for a short period of time while the game still is a little bit fun Expand
  15. Jan 2, 2014
    This game is not representative of the arcade racing games that I am accustomed to playing. I haven't written an official review before this because nothing infuriated me like this game. As I would like to point out, this is from an individual who doesn't buy yearly installments of any franchise, so my expectations for this game weren't too high for this game.

If you get busted, you'll
    lose everything. In something like this game where collisions occur so frequent, it feels so out of place and makes the so much more frustrating. Before I interacted with rival cops, I would wait near an exit to see how the AI would react. In all but 2 cases, they would completely drive past me. Oh, and did I mention that you can get busted without any cops in sight if you take too much damage.

The online components were abysmal as well. There was too high frequency of drivers popping in and out of the course when my friends and I all had a strong signal in our private match (Ping is around 22).

I wasn't expecting much from this and got an incredibly frustrating experience. It's a frustrating time to be a racing fan in general right now, but this might just be a slump that won't last too long (hopefully).
  16. Dec 11, 2013
    Graphics are slightly stepped-up and the usual NFS gameplay is there, but for some reason this feels like a substantial step backward from Most Wanted on PS3. Maybe it's the overwhelming focus on stats, the lackluster soundtrack (again) or the fragmented gameplay, but more of the same is starting to get stale if you've played the last two Need For Speed games.

That being said, whether
    you've played those games or you're brand new to the series, Need For Speed is still easily one of the most satisfying arcade racers out there and Rivals keeps things fresh enough. Expand
  17. Mar 26, 2014
    By far one of the most frustrating games I have ever played. I love racing games. I've played nearly all of the Need for Speed games, this sucks. It's not fun to win a race escape the cops be found then have your car destroyed by 4 or 5 cops who all of a sudden show up out of no where.
  18. Nov 23, 2013
    Beautiful, fun and familiar. I love the world and seamless multiplayer but I never really ran into them on the roads much. I've always loved NSF but I miss the stories of the earlier games. Give me some deeper narrative and make me care more about the driver and world. Not like the run but more like under grounds and the original hot pursuits. The later part of the game grinds if you choose to upgrade your cars rather than buy the newest ones. It's a blast to play but just know its all been done before. Expand
  19. May 11, 2014
    Boring map, lifeless driving mechanics, lackluster sound and bad car models. The graphics are not a step up from Most Wanted 2012 despite it running on Frostbite 3 in 1080p. As a sequel to Hot Pursuit 2010, Rivals does a good job in giving the player more freedom by adding more content. You have more choice over how you progress in the career, and you can actually use your speed points to upgrade cars and buy pursuit tech. As a racer, you have an incentive to escape the cops. Unlike Hot Pursuit, this game is open world ,albeit nowhere in the same league as Burnout Paradise in terms of content. However, much of the magic that Hot Pursuit had has been lost. The driving attempts to be less arcade and drifty, and in doing so, it's lost the sense of speed so it's no longer intense. There seems to be no difference between a good and bad driver. You can crash and be as imprecise as you like and still get the gold medal in a time trial. The promise of customisation is poorly realized. Visually all you can do is change the colour and number plate, and performance-wise you can do some basic upgrades but no tuning. Furthermore, there are no tiers of cars. The performance difference is substantial in the menus, but on the road it's difficult to tell apart a Cayman S from a 458. There's just so little excitement in this game. I's just full throttle all the time with no need to be precise or skillful in any way. You can't be bad at this game. So in summary, the attempt to offer more of the same is a sensible idea, but overall Rivals lacks the excitement that Hot Pursuit delivered. The additions are not substantial enough, so I would suggest avoiding this if you have played Hot Pursuit. Expand
  20. Feb 14, 2014
    This game is worst racing game that I've ever played. I'm now sorry that I gave GRID 2 score of 1. Even Big Rigs is better then this **** in my opinion.
  21. Nov 24, 2013
    Absolutely awesome game, online and off. Some gliches hinder the experience but the graphics and gameplay more than makeup for it. Reminds me of Burnout 3 but for next gen! There is no better feeling than rolling around as a cop and ruining racers(other online players) of their their multipliers. Truely captures the rival aspect of the cop/racer drama.
  22. Nov 24, 2013
    Need for Speed Rivals brings street racing from the perspective of both the racer and the police officers trying to stop them. Supercharged speed machines are everywhere in this game and it really is a challenge.

No seriously... this game provides a challenge, which makes it great! the computer controlled cars will give you a hard time and push you as you advance though the game. You
    can choose to work on the "Racer" or "Cop" portion of the story at any point and switch back and forth at will. That certainly makes things interesting and helps keep the game from getting repetitive.

Possibly my favorite feature is that if you choose to play online, your friends can jump in with you at any point. They can jump in and race against you or as cops and try and take you out! Through multiple races I can see my friends top scores/times and try to beat them.

As far as the car selections, there are plenty... you unlock them quickly as well. You do have spend speed points to get the cars once you unlock them but I have yet to run low on those. Speed points come with completeing tasks and races. Points seem to be plentiful. But just because you have a fast car doesn't mean you will dominate... learning proper driving tactics and using defensive upgrades such as mines and EMP charges will help get you to the finish line.

Overall this game is a blast... while I'm not yet ready to call it the king of racing... I will say it is a must buy!
  23. Apr 22, 2014
    No manual transmission and only two types of camera, and the 3rd person camera is too low for this kind of game.

i i wanted to race with a shopping cart i would have go to the market.
  24. Dec 31, 2013
    I am more of a fan when these games had a story and you started out with more modest cars and built them up. Sure the game looks nice and is fun for ten hours or so, the game becomes to be extremely repetitive. Unlocking new cars is boring and only time consuming. I would rather play an old burnout game rather than this
  25. Mar 15, 2014
    Need for Speed Rivals delivers both in terms of the visuals and in terms of the gameplay. Well worth a buy, but I first must mention the ups and downs of the game;

To start with, the choice between cop and racer is something which has existed for a while now, but is executed perfectly in this game. Playing as the police, you will have to patrol Redview County to hunt down racers, take
    on challenges, and perform multiple tasks that are predetermined in the base before setting out into the world. Each task is varied, and stretch from completing a certain challenge to driving at a specific speed by a police camera. Completing these tasks will progress you through the game, and with that, through the story (the story being something which, in my opinion, felt rather cheap and lacking). The same goes for the racer career, although in that, you must race one another and evade the police, racking up speed points and climbing leaderboards.

Probably the games biggest feature is the seamless integration between both single and multiplayer. Whilst driving along, you will occasionally meet with other players, who may either be with or against you on the driving grounds. With this, you can either take them down, team up, or leave them be. Although I found this rather evolutionary and clever, it seems to get in the way quite a bit, and may leave you slightly disoriented from time to time.

Something which people seem to cling onto with dear life in the Need for Speed franchise is the cusomisation options. With this, you can change the colours of your cars, upgrade performance (in the racing career) and pursuit tech, and add and swap out vinyls. It's certainly no Most Wanted, Carbon, or Underground, but for what it's worth, it serves well and feels merely like an addition to the bigger picture that is the games true core; racing and chasing.

I mentioned earlier, but will bring it up again; the game looks beautiful, like a true next gen game. I really felt like I was playing on PS4. The water details, weather, and environmental textures are all fantastic, and all add to the immersion.

The handling on the vehicles seems fair, but not strictly realistic. However, this is no simulator, and you wouldn't expect something such as this to be realistic.

In terms of content, the game has multiple challenges and tasks, along with a good collection of cars, side tasks (cameras, jumps, etc.) and of course, the multiple environments (fields, mountains, beaches, small towns), the game really does seem to deliver. The ultimate downside to the content is the map size; it feels incredibly small, and thus, the transitions between environments feels hollow and cheap (jumping straight from a lush valley to a freezing temperate is rather disorienting). This also makes you feel a large sense of deja vu, and rightly so, as you will constantly return to the same spots over and over again. However, the races and chases feel truly tense and deliver as they should, so some flaws can be forgiven.

Overall, the game is great, but is not without it's flaws; small map and lacking cusomisation for cars are the first that spring to mind. I can't give this game a perfect score, even if it does look and feel like a perfect game, but I can certainly recommend it.
  26. Jan 5, 2014
    Why would EA make a next gen racing game with out wheel support, it really make's me feel like I wasted $60 plus tax. Sony left it up to the developers for wheel support and EA dropped the ball on this one. Just in case you want to know I have a Logitech G27 racing wheel I have been using it on my ps3 and my PC for about a year and a half now. It has worked on all my racing game's on the ps3, even ridge racer 7. EA this will be the last racing game that I will buy from you it's a real shame because I have been playing the NFS series for about 15 years now. I guess I will be waiting for drive club to come out now let's hope sony doesn't take too long with that one. Expand
  27. Feb 2, 2014
    NFS: Rivals puts you in the middle of a small city, a forest in the hills, a snowy mountain, and a desert. The games graphics are massively impressive. The lighting, reflections and shadows are awesome on PC. And the cars look SO much better than anything else I've ever seen. The game also has a system where the time of day changes. So it can be sunrise, sunset, mid day, or night time. The game looks best at sun rise. It's breathtaking how awesome this looks. Most of the roads you ride on are blacktop with a very reflective surface. And you always have some type of debris floating around, whether it be snow, sand, green leaves, brown leaves, or rain. When it does rain, it can be anything from a drizzle to a thunderstorm. The rain looks amazing as does everything else. There is nothing like being a cop chasing a racer through a forest at night, and it's pouring down raining while your sirens are blasting and your engines revving up. It's an awesome experience.

The sounds of the game are also quite impressive. As I've played racing games a good bit, and NFS: Rivals sounds are right on the money. Each car has a different sound and slightly different feel. Some cars are rather slow while others are blazing fast. You won't really hear too much background noise, other than other cars, cops talking, sirens, tire screeches, pursuit tech, and your own car. So you won't be hearing a whole lot of the birds chirping or water or anything like that. Although you can hear thunder if a thunderstorm rolls in, and yes you'll here waterfalls if you go right by them. But most of the time you just hear the radio playing and your own car. So thank goodness the sound track is awesome. I didn't know any of these songs before I played this game, but now I love the songs. The sound track is awesome. Awesome in that I've downloaded these songs and listen to them daily now.

I've searched far and wide for an open world racing game that has the graphical standard I am used to from playing Far Cry 3, Crysis 3, and Metro LL. And this is the only game I can truly recommend. FYI, the next best is NFS: Most Wanted, although the graphics are a definite step down, it still looks better than anything else.

The big downside to this game is the fact that it only runs at 30FPS. There is a "fix" to this where you can set it to whatever FPS you'd like. But if you have it set at 60FPS, and it drops to 59FPS, your game will slow down and your car will start to glitch. And even though I have a GTX780, it still drops to 59FPS every few seconds. Not because of the ability of the card, just because it's throttling to maintain 60FPS, and when you hit a point that gets strenuous, it'll drop to 59 then pop right back up to 60, simply because of the throttling, not the power of the card. So no matter how powerful your graphics card, you'll get this glitch. Although it looks SO much smoother at 60FPS, I run it at 30FPS so my car doesn't slow down and it doesn't glitch out. FYI, if I set the game with a 100FPS cap, the game only runs at about 80-85FPS with a 3570k@4.7Ghz and overclocked GTX780. So NFS: Rivals is a fairly demanding game. And I'm not surprised being that it's based on Battlefield 4's Frost Bite 3 engine. Also, I notice if I use this "fix", and I race online with other people, my car(although it doesn't feel like it to me)is a noticeable amount slower than other online racers. To the point that they beat you easily. Since I've gone back to the regular 30FPS this hasn't happened again. Maybe those players were just THAT good, probably not though.

So between the looks, the sounds, and the gameplay, this is THE best open world racing game to date.
  28. Feb 7, 2014
    I got this game today from PS store. It took 3 hours to download. I started the game, watch an un skippable video for about 4 minutes, started the tutorial, tried to drive when it told me to, and............oh, my car wont move. Googled the issue and found out that a lot of folks that downloaded it had the same problem. Almost two months and AE hasn't fixed it yet. I tried AEs "workaround" with no success. Finally contacted PSN and got a refund, gotta wait 3-5 days for refund to hit my wallet though.Shame on AE for releasing an incomplete and unplayable game!

The game looks like it's cool for those that can play it. Because I pretty much got conned into paying AE to be able to beta test their game that's unplayable, I rate it a 0
  29. Feb 20, 2014
    This game was the first brand new game I purchased for my PS4. I was looking forward to seeing what the graphics were like on the next gen compared for prior gen, and must say, the graphics were very incredible. The map is very large and very realistic. Each detail on each and every vehicle was very defined. However, aside from the looks, I'd consider this game considerably average. There are extremely limited customization options and a short amount of time is required to unlock each vehicle. Also, the pursuits are way less interactive compared to other NFS titles like Carbon. Also, I found the online features of the game to be more of a nuisance than anything. Nonetheless, I did find the game relatively fun to play and awesome to look at. Expand
  30. Mar 22, 2014
    I went from loving this game, 10/10. To loathing playing it towards the end. Now don't get me wrong, I have beaten the game completely. But it's the gameplay after this that began to bother me.

Every time I go to play a race now just to enjoy racing and beating my times and what not, I get so frustrated with the game I have to quit. And it's the cops fault. It's over the top once you've
    beaten the game and unlocked the final cars. I can look past the stupid artificial difficulty the game has, I mean c'mon. How does a car that's a lower tier than mine, stay constantly ahead of me at the same speed on a straightaway when I'm drafting them and using a turbo and they aren't even using Nitros? Uh huh. But no. It's the cops that throw it over the top for me. The fact that they will ALWAYS be faster than you, constantly load in in front of you, and chain 3 emps one after the other guaranTEE that you won't enjoy your racing experience after you've beaten the game. No amount of jamming and ESFing can stop that.

Another thing. The soundtrack is AMAZING. But you NEVER get to hear a song all the way through. The cops music is ALWAYS playing, and it gets old FAST.

Now, this is all from the perspective from somebody who wants to play a game after I've beaten it. Which I like to do with racing games. That's the joy of maxing out your car and taking it for a spin. But in this game that's not possible. As soon as you leave the hideout you have at least 3 cops on you, and you can't outrun them. Not even in the maxed out 10 speed koenigsegg, you can lose them though by running around in circles and never making any forward progress.

Up until the game was over and I wanted to enjoy the "replayability value" this game was a solid 8.5/10.

After you've beaten the career and you never get to enjoy more than 3 seconds without being interrupted by a horde of cops, the game drops to a horrendous 3/10. One point each for graphics, controls, and map size.

All in all, the game is great if you just want to beat the main missions and put it down. But don't bother trying to replay it and complete all of the races after that, as you'll be plagued with frustration and annoyances.
  31. Jan 9, 2014
    Best Need For Speed version yet. The PS4 version is phenomenal and the graphics and audio are mindblowing. Being the cop and chasing racers online is FUN!
    The app that comes with the game (for iOS devices) is a nice touch. Playing this game on remote play is fun but harder since the screen is small so I crash more.
  32. Dec 28, 2013
    After finishing the PS3 version I got the game for PS4 as well. As expected the PS4 version is not suffering from the performance issues the PS3 was.

Other then that everything else is the same... kind of grindy game with the 120 speedlists with probably a lot of tasks most people don't really wanna do but ye. And a really really multiplayer.

Nevertheless, for me in the end it's
    mostly about the gameplay and Rivals is spot on as far as that goes. I gave the PS3 version a 7, I'll bump up my score by 1 because they performance issues are gone but the bad multiplayer prohibits me from giving a higher score then that. Expand
  33. Jun 13, 2014
    1. The graphics engine is poorly optimized, hence EA had to lock the game at 30 fps
    2. The driving mechanics are aweful, (NFS 2012, HP 2010 are rocking), i though crieterions are involved so it`d be great but it`s total waste of money.
    3. Graphics are a step backward from nfs 2012 which at least gives you a modern look of cities, while rivals is opposite, despite a dx11 game, it still is
    a thumb down when comparing graphics with nfs hp 2010
    4. AI is stupid, no matter how much upgrades you apply, or how long you master the skill, you can`t anticipate if you would win? ( a little exagerated but, this is like it)
    those of you who hasn`t bought it, dont
  34. Jan 4, 2014
    This is a great racer in the launch line up of PS4. Visuals: I've played the 360 version of this game and the PS4 version is very noticeably higher res, with gorgeous textures and smoother lines, no annoying flickering of pixels (aliasing)... basically it looks stunning. Audio: This, for me, is ok but not incredible.

Gameplay: I love it. It's just like NFS Hot Pursuit (on PS3) crossed
    with the open world of NFS underground 2. And it works really well! Plenty of races time-trials police escapes, etc.

Annoyances: After winning a big race you have the cops on your tail and they bust you before you manage to get to a hideout, therefore lose your points! Having to log in to EA servers in order to shut up the requests to log in. Also, after you've setup log-in, every time you start the game you have to wait maybe a minute or two for it to log in! This should happen in the background. I prefer to play my game offline, mostly.

Highlights: Good opponent AI. Online racing works well. Taking a nice drive through the luscious country-side and then getting roped into a race, and before long the fuzz are on our tail and all hell breaks loose! Also, playing as the cops is great fun too.
  35. Apr 29, 2014
    I couldn't help but feel a tiny bet let down by Rivals. Compared to Most Wanted, it was a not really a step down, but a big side-step. Instead of a non-existent story, we got a mediocre one and instead of weak car customization, we got it for only half of the game (Racers side only -- Cops got only weapons upgrades but start with better stats).

The game however is easily redeemed but
    its two core appealing features: It looks absolutely gorgeous and it plays like a charm. NFS Rivals is your only option for a racing game on the PS4 right, but it sure as hell ain't a bad one. Expand
  36. Sep 21, 2014
    Complete downgrade from burnout paradise. It has the free roam, but there is no interaction with anybody online. You have to all be in same area, if your lucky enough, On top of that, their pursuit mode is fucing garbage. T-boned rammed a car full speed and i used a ram special ability , causing the computer driver to fflip multiple times. It barely did any damage as he resets and drives away. I give it a 0 because of **** like that. Expand
  37. Jan 20, 2014
    I'll have to be honest and say that EA has done a good job with the NfS: Rivals. Whistling through the mini map which some of the best tunes in a car game, has me amped up every time I leave the garage and eager for more action. One problem I had was that you are unable to change any controls and that becomes a problem sometimes as you end up pressing buttons you didn't necessarily want to press. But we have come to expect that from EA, it's either their way or no way at all. Also felt that the online aspects could've been tweaked, since the amount of drive modes against friends are limited. Expand
  38. Jan 3, 2014
    Definitely A well polished game, I can say the graphics for the ps4 version is gorgeous. The car customization is sub par though, you buy generic upgrades to the engine, and control etc. but the game is an arcade style racer not a simulation like Forza, the two paths racer, and cop, are both enjoyable, the story is mildly interesting, but I don't expect Shakespeare from a racer.
  39. Nov 26, 2013
    This is the most fun I've had with a Need For Speed game since the original Underground came out. The controls are spot on and the gameplay is fun and addicting. The only small qualm I have is it seems to switch host often, interrupting the experience. A small price to pay for the fun you can have, seamlessly switching between racer and cop.
  40. Jan 12, 2014
    Need for Speed Rivals is a solid game. I haven't picked up a NFS game in a long time, since Carbon I think so I enjoyed this game more than I expected I would. The graphics aren't revolutionary or anything, but the world can be beautiful at times. The game starts off as public online, but you have the choice to play it with only your friends or by yourself from the driving settings. My biggest complaint against the game is lack of car customization and story. There isn't a definite story to follow. So if you are looking for a story; look elsewhere. Also, I don't know if this is a trend now in racing games, seeing as I haven't played one since NFS Carbon, but there isn't much customization you could do with your car's exterior or interior. With that said, the game is fun, the world is nice, and playing with other players is always interesting. Expand
  41. Feb 8, 2014
    It's a GREAT game but for a bug which I found out that I can't drive when I download the patch with the game. So I had to give it a 9 out of 10 but when I got pass that bug it was amazing! I can't believe they used FrostBite 3 To work on a racing game!! The graphics are superb, The Gameplay is solid, The Dialogues ehmm... I ignored those cause I don't like listening to dialogue, the world design is so realistic! and the AI there we some little AI problems but none the less it's still great. Now some people will start screaming that NFS : Rivals IS THE WORST NFS GAME EVER!!! But don't listen to them EA I still trust you even you won the Worst Company Award 2013 again but next time spend a bit more time polishing the game. Expand
  42. Nov 27, 2013
    Awful PC port is not what next gen should be. Shame on you, EA. Its locked on 30fps and it runs horribly on towns sections, making it unplayable on GTX550, even at minimal graphics.
  43. Nov 26, 2013
    The steering is equivalent to that of a game like Dirt, or Grid, feels slightly delayed compared to other racing games The multiplier is quite fun, but i felt like there is alot of things the Need for Speed franchise could have done to improve this game. I really like racing games that are heavy on customization, and i didn't feel like i had a whole lot of options, but we shouldn't forget this is a launch title and it only gets better from here. Would recommend to pick this up, it shows us the power of the ps4, and what we can expect, and improve on in the future Expand
  44. Dec 7, 2013
    the graphics look incredible and the controls are way better than Hot Pursuit... but that's pretty much it. There is no significant storyline like the classic Most Wanted and Carbon games, and there is a very limited selection of cars/small map. Also I was interested in the NFS network, but I never saw any other drivers because they were never around me, and it didn't turn out to be much.

Overall, I'm very disappointed and I won't be playing any future NFS games.
  45. Dec 15, 2013
    Great game love it to play i really like the music :D what makes it more fun to play and the handling is really nice of course if you never played NfS before you gonna get into it but its just a regular racing handling
  46. Jan 4, 2014
    Next Gen Racing At Its Best Graphics Look Amazing Gameplay Feels Great This Game Is A Mix Of Hot Pursuit And Most Wanted And Adds A Few Online Features Definitely Worth Checking Out On The PS4 If Youre Going To Get Any Version Because Of The Realism Of The Graphics
  47. Dec 23, 2013
    Need for Speed:Rivals is one of the best realistic driving games I have played. It is a very fun multiplayer experience and engages people to either be a criminal racer who smashes into other cars and challenges other racers to racing duels, or a lawful cop who sets traps and road blocks to stop racers. Overall this game is fun and is probably my favorite realistic racing games.
  48. Dec 29, 2013
    Great game once you get the handles and control of the cars down. Can be annoying when you need to save your money by getting to home base, but other than a few game-play flaws the game syncs perfectly with the ps4 system. Anyone looking for a racing title for the ps4 launch this is the one!
  49. Dec 29, 2013
    Controls are garbage and EA give no way of configuring them to your own style. Needs a fix to make a good game playable.
    Not everyone plays the same way and I hate steering with a joy stick and E-Brake on the square button where the normal brake always used to be? C'mon, this needs sorting.
  50. Dec 30, 2013
    Expect an arcade racer from this game, not one of intricate details. The graphics aren't bad for a release game but far from cutting edge. There is plenty to do for the average gamer though it does get repetitive. It is very easy for a race game so anyone can enjoy it once you get used to the controls. It doesn't take long.

If you get annoyed by other racers purposely crashing you
    this isn't the game for you. Be it player or AI controlled you will have to deal with it. Cops are MUCH faster than racer cars. You will have to learn how to evade them and use your weapons to get them off of you long enough to get away. You can never truly get away as any time you pass any of the numerous cameras you will have cops dispatched on you regardless of heat level or speed traveling.

As a cop the game is to easy. You have nothing to risk and your cars are fast and nearly indestructible unless you are just careless.

Online play really is just pointless. If you have people on your friends list that you play with and race against it is ok. Other than that unless you meat up head to head or try to bust/wreck people thats the only thing to do. I have yet to meet up with random people at a race start.
  51. Dec 30, 2013
    THIS GAME DOES NOT DISAPPOINT! I had my first truly, "next-gen" moment with this game. I'm maxing out my Mustang GT on the interstate, when I decide one of the many a.i. racers I've been passing needs to be put in his place. I start the head to head with a strong nitrous boost and jump out in front. As I am changing lanes and fighting for the lead, a patrolling Corvette tops the horizon and hits his red and blues. My pursuit tech is low on the 'stang, so I know I have to outrun and out maneuver my pursuers. As I blast off the interstate and hit a couple of sharp corners, I notice the road has changed to a frosted mountain pass. The sun is setting and my heat level is climbing fast. Now there must be 5 or 6 patrol cars in my rearview all fighting to stay on my tail as I do all I can to navigate the now, snow and ice covered pass. The snow is really coming down now, and my visibility is almost nothing as I'm drifting around corners with the red and blue snow practically filling my screen. The rush that this moment gave me is pretty rare in racing games today, and this doesn't even use the amazing multiplayer aspect that this game also brings with it. Imagine driving around with 150K speed points that you spent the last 20 minutes dodging roadblocks, spike strips, and EMP's to earn, when you crash big, and check your "easydrive" GPS to find out you are 2 miles to the nearest hideout. Then a human driver in a Lambo' enforcer T-bones you. Now you are in for the run of your life back to the safe house to bank those points. If you don't make it..... you guessed it, all that hard work for nothing. I have really had an enjoyable time with this Need for Speed title, as much so as Most Wanted 2005 (that is, IMO, the best NFS game ever), and once the tutorial is behind you, the real white knuckle, high risk racing will begin. And trust me, you will not be disappointed!

I actually decided to start giving my opinions on games on this website when I noticed that a lot of good games carry low user scores because of unfair 0's with little to no description of said "crapness". This game has a 6.8 as I'm writing this, and while a decent score, I felt it was low enough for me to create an account and share my experience with everyone. I hope this convinces a few more people to give this game a try, because it will remain in my game library for quite some time.
  52. Jan 16, 2014
    My favorite racing game on last Gen was EA other racing game Burn out paradise this is noting like it has a lot of downs but a few ups. I like yet hate this game for many reasons here is the Good and the bad. The game is very Pretty and looks nice I like how all the real cars are in this and feels great also the environment is good. The bad Story mode, Online Play, cops, cop mode and no city. This game feels like it is made for online and is hard to go offline which makes it very difficult if you want to play alone which is better when you want to unlock more cars and bank in cash, on top of that you can not pause the game on single player did the creators think that we don't get phone calls or want to take a 5 min break while playing this game in a race with tons of cash which forces you too lose it if you got to do something important. Really makes you feels like their was no thought in single player and they just want you online. The cops if you are a new to racing games or just haven't play one in a while the cops in here make you want to break your game there is no setting to turn them off, if you just want a joy ride around the game or a street race with just racers this game ruins that and I always have police chasing me while I am doing races time trials and everything else which makes the game feel terrible not that it is hard but it literally makes this game feel terrible. Cop mode is boring I really thought it'd be fun but some how the creators of this game made it terrible all you do is bump into racers which makes it boring. No City in this game makes if feel like a giant suburb, story mode is so boring with terrible voice actors as well as awful cut scenes I did not even realize I was playing story mode until half way threw. OVERALL this game feels like a free to play online tittle, the cars are great, driving is good and racing is good if you don't mind the cops chasing you all the time cop mode is terrible as well as story mode for both cops and racers since this is the only racing game out I still play this and don't mind the cops any more I had this since it came out played about 3 missions and don't car to Finnish it this is truly a 6 out of 10 Expand
  53. Feb 8, 2014
    Rivals offer what you would expect from a auto game; high end cars chasing each other against the traffic while battling the police. It really is captivating, with a little bit of story on the side. What I found as an upgrade is the seamless integration of the multiplayer mode; if you got the PS+ and the internet connection all your games are against real people in the area, which always make things interesting. Expand
  54. Feb 9, 2014
    Игра ни о чём , дерьмовая графика , вообще не понимаю зачем NFS Rivals делали на движке Frostbite 3.
  55. Mar 2, 2014
    BEST RACING GAME EVER!
    I tried all racing game but this is.. this is... EXCELLENT!!
    Players like game such as Call of Duty because aren't tried it!!
    If a CoD player tried it... he love it!!!
  56. Mar 14, 2014
    This is my first review and I made a metacritic account just to do it. This game is okay if you want to . It's not even worth a $40 price tag though. Graphics The graphics are beautiful, the world is sexy but amidst all of this when i'm coming second i follow the car in front of me but i feel that the graphics are utterly blinding. I can't see short cuts that the other drivers utilize, i find that i'm constantly crashing into two white dots which a second later leave me viewing a cut scene of my car flipping around the circles.

Map.
    The map is alright. It's large but unvaried. In underground 2 you had the mountains which held tight bends, the highways which tested the top speed of your car and back roads which combined both aspects of tight corners and slick straights.

Cops
    Cops are annoying, they're annoying to the point where I don't even want to try to gamble with my speedpoints, i'll get to 20-50k and bank because i know that even if i do evade i'll be in another pursuit far too easily and they are not easy to get out of. Your best bet it to just find the nearest safe house and bank your points because it's also incredibly easy to crash your car via cops. They're not easy to take out unless you drive specific cars and use specific upgrades as smashing into them damages you alot faster then it damages them, If your car gets too damaged it get totaled and you lose all your speed points and go back to your garage.

Cars.
    This is the killer for me. No customization at all.
    DECALS include. Stripes which look okay if you want all of your cars to look like the skyline off of 2 fast 2 furious. Decals which look hideous except for a few but none of them actually suit the aesthetic of the game. An example being the fact that there are mandarin symbols yet the game comprises of mostly European cars. Skins which are sick, each car has a different skin so they all match but they're really hard to unlock. Lastly you have number plates which for me was a feature they could have left out and instead spent their time developing elsewhere.
    PERFORMANCE mods are pretty basic. Durability, Stength, Control, Speed and Acceleration. Each can be upgraded to a maximum of 5 getting more expensive so it's pretty bland and not what i'm used to, even undercover had more customization.
    PURSUIT MODS. They're cool, they're the only thing that makes this game fun but they make this game a racing game and not the street racing game that i remember it being. It feels like i'm playing some cart title, lets just stick to nitros.
    CARS. There are no Japanese imports in this game. You unlock one every level, you level up by completing objectives. Its pretty much a gamble but they're not expensive but with that said you have no idea what you're buying. Each of the cars handle differently and some are better suited for racing and others for pursuits. my BIGGEST pet peeve is the fact that you start with a really good car to begin with, in previous titles you had to start with just entry level car and you also got to pick.

Gameplay
    I'm only half way through this game and i'm already stuck. The medium races are hard regardless of what car i use and most of it boils down to crashing into other vehicles and cops interfering. The last race i played 2 other racers got totaled and i got busted out of 5. The cops are just too powerful and the other racers never crash and always take shortcuts. If you're going to introduce shortcuts you should ghost them on the map once you go through them so you can see shortcuts you've already used on the minimap. There's also some pretty powerful rubber banding going on. Basically, my only bet at winning races is to use turbo which is a pursuit tech. The chance of meeting a police car in this game during a race is almost guaranteed.
    Progression isn't bad, you only have to achieve a couple of objectives to rank up and you have three paths that you can swap with on the fly so if smashing cop cars is your thing then you can do that all day long.

All in all, this games about a 2/10 for me. It's **** with glitter on top. The customization sucks, the racing is somewhat broken since crashing into oncoming cars that you didn't see coming is the norm and cops which will bust you just by crashing into you and they're too prevalent.
  57. Mar 27, 2014
    I have only played it for round about 2 hours and am very frustrated and disappointed with my experience so far. After completing the frankly rubbish tutorials my hopes for a good game rapidly disappeared. I somehow got my car stuck where it shouldn't do and couldn't escape as every time I moved the car broke down even tho it had no damage. Cops appeared out of nowhere. Just as you escape from the relentless and brutally hard and fast cops they would literally appear out if nowhere to resume the chase. The car modification and upgrades seem limited at best. You can add a number plate, decals and change the paint and that is it.
    The graphics are not next- gen standard. I felt like I was playing a ps3 not 4 game. After playing beautiful games with amazing graphics such as infamous second son and killzone this doesn't reach the same level. It is the worst thing I have ever brought worth £50. I felt myself getting angry and annoyed at pretty much everything. The amount of glitches that I have experienced in my short time of playing it are unreal. EA should be ashamed of the quality of this game. I read good reviews of this game before I purchased it and can't see why so many people have rated it so highly.

DO NOT BUY!!
    RUBBISH GRAPHICS!!
    RUBBISH GAMEPLAY!!
    FRUSTRATING AS HELL!!
    SAVE YOUR MONEY!!
  58. May 19, 2014
    Played the NFS series since Underground and have always loved the stories and customizability.
    Bought a PS4 last month and just got the jones for a racing game so I went out and bought Rivals with high expectations. Started it up and what felt like the majority of the first hour of gameplay was unskippable tutorials. There really isn't much a story to speak of and customizability is
    extremely limited compared to titles like Most Wanted. This game is a far cry from the arcady NFS titles i'm use to and i'm not a big fan. I've feel like i've wasted $50. When I have no other games to play and have nothing else to do i'll pop this game back in the system but for now it's just going to be sitting on the shelf gathering dust. Expand
  59. May 21, 2014
    This game is really awesome! Graphics is very good and gameplay is really exciting. You can feel like a real racer. If you like car games you must try it.
  60. May 26, 2014
    The Good
    NFSR brings what you've loved about previous Hot Pursuit games and adds a bit more. Being able to play as either the Cops or the Racers and develop each career definitely makes for many hours of fun racing. Monster car makes and models are included in the game. After each mission, you're guaranteed to level up and get a new car. This makes for very fun progression and the feeling
    to play "just one more" mission. The graphics are absolutely stunning, as to be expected for PS4, though so particle effects are a bit lacking.

The Bad
    Playing as a Cop, you'd expect for your allies to, you know, be helpful. Apparently the developers didn't get the memo. Your Cop buddies will, all too commonly, make your mission harder than if they weren't there. When you're falling behind a suspect, don't be surprised to get rear-rammed by a pursuing Cop. If you're catching up to your suspect, you can be sure the Cops between you and your target will slow down and get in your way. It's very rare to ever see one of your cop allies actually catch up to a suspect, and when they do they usually don't do much but pace or gently sideswipe. On a few occasions, if I'm gaining on my suspect and going particularly fast (200+ MPH), I've had one of my Cop buddies literally spawn in front of me going 50 MPH. If I could make them go away I would.

Events have a Gold, Silver and Bronze completion medals. Exceed all expectations and earn a Gold medal. However, I find 90% of my mission attempts either ending with a Gold medal... or the suspect "escaping." Usually the later -- there doesn't seem to be any in-between. If you get slowed down by pursuit tech, getting rammed by your cop buddies, or (oh, I'll get to it) civilian vehicles, it can be next to impossible to resume the pursuit. Firstly, the game is inconsistent in the way it sets you back on the road after a "wipe out" (hitting something so hard you have to sit through 5-6 seconds of cut scene as your vehicle thrashes about the road, all the while your suspect continues to flee at 200+ MPH). In some modes, you'll be put back on the road heading in the right direction. In other modes, after watching your "crash" cut scene, you're returned control of your vehicle wherever it came to rest (usually facing the wrong direction, or with the nose of you vehicle up against something). When this happens you can pretty much concede to the suspect escaping. Immensely frustrating.

Finally, the game isn't able to single out any particular mission that you're trying to accomplish, even if you're doing an event. In a "Rapid Response" event, you need to get to the finish line as quickly as possible without hitting other vehicles or walls. Sounds easy, right? It wouldn't be so tricky -- if it weren't for that fact that the game in constantly spawning Racers and Cops everywhere -- all the time. I'm flying down the highway at 200 MPH, trying to "respond rapidly" and some racer thinks I want to pull him over, so he starts running away. "Oh, it's okay little Racer," I say, "today is not your day, I'm just going to 7-11." But no, the racer paces me, and rams me and then my Cop buddies show up and start ramming me. I'm just trying to get a Slurpee and a Gold medal, but no -- this has to happen. Once I got faster cars, I opted to start passing by these racers as quickly as I could, so as to not be interrupted by the hooplah -- but this usually results in me getting hit by pursuit tech by them. My ask is that once you start a mission, the game allows you to focus on that mission and not interrupt you with its terrible AI.

The Ugly
    Two factors combined lead to a consistently aggravating game play experience. One is the lack of camera angles to choose from. You get two. In-car and fly-behind. That's it. The fly-behind angle is very low, and gives you an awful view of what's up ahead. In-car is even worse. There's a reason cops and robbers don't actually drive around at near sonic speeds -- because they'd run into something before they got too far. It's one of the main reasons you need a high and tight camera angle to play games like these and have any fun. It gives you enough time to see what's up ahead and react. Having only a single out-of-car camera angle is beyond frustrating. I think back back to Cruisin' USA for N64 and I'm pretty sure that had like 5. Give me a break over here.

The second is the absolute stupidity of civilian vehicles. They're apparently driven by zombies because they make absolutely NO effort to get out of the way of speeding or siren-blaring vehicles. It's awful. And they always seem to pop up and the most inopportune time, such as at the crest of hills or blind turns you're drifting through.

So, with a combination of a low camera angle, giving you poor visibly and cow-like civilian vehicles, you can pretty much expect to crash. And crash. And crash some more. And after you think you're done crashing, you'll crash again.
  61. May 31, 2014
    I've been playing this game for a while now and i don't understand why this game ha been given such high ratings. Its a decent game and yes, the graphics are stunning but it just feels like the game is not finished. The "campaign" is crap there is literally no storyline to it. As far as trophies go there has literally been no thought put in to them. The campaign goes up to level 21 but i get no trophy for it? I get it for 20 instead? Thats just stupid... most of the trophies are centered around gaining levels. You can get a max level of 60 on each "class" but the campaign finishes at 21. So you have to rinse and repeat the speedlists 39 more times on each class to reach the max level, how boring is that? Yeah you do unlock wraps and stuff if you do certain speedlists a certain number of times but most of them are pants anyway.

The AI is annoying and unfair. You get back up from other cops when on a pursuit but they seem to hinder you more than what they do help. And the whole helicopters dropping countless spike traps is ridiculously unfair and unrealistic.

There seems to be like 30-40 cop cars you can unlock but only about 15 racing cars. Why is that? I want more racing cars than cop cars if not you should get the same on each side. None of this makes any sense, like i said it feels incomplete and like its been rushed at last minute.

The multiplayer is a waste of time, i can loose a cop in 10 seconds with nitro and turbo and i can't catch another players car in a cop car because they are to fast.

I wouldn't recommend buying this game, not at 50 odd pounds anyway, wait until the price comes down its not worth that much. The graphics are next gen but the game itself is not.
  62. Jun 9, 2014
    Amazing! You get to be the best of both worlds - a cop and a racer! Who would have thought of that? Furthermore, the graphics, the maps, and the playlist are all great. The gameplay is also good. I would also like to commend the "open world" this game has.
  63. Jul 10, 2014
    I don't know what it is but there was a lot left to be desired after playing most wanted. The game just didn't seem complete to me. It didn't seem very big or very complex. Most wanted made you explore separate areas of a big city while rivals seemed very narrow in drive-able areas. Plus it was almost in possible to go cruising because the cops were on you at every moment and the long stretches of single roads made it impossible to escape them sometimes. I was bored of the game after a few weeks and went back to Most Wanted and Forza Horizon. Expand
  64. Jul 18, 2014
    im 50 yrs. old. over the years ive played thousands of games and i gota say this game pist-me-off almost as much as the ancient game for nintedo "E.T" . peepl say they luv and i would LUV to know why?? it has the worst god$%^* 4 control and response of ANY car game ive played in the last 18 yrs...literally! It's like guidaing an 18 pound bowling ball on a piece of frikn 5 pound test kite string. I was stupid enuff to even get suckered into spending another MF'n 9.99 for the "garage - add -on" Guess what? it dont help krap!!! maybe if you van ever get thru 10 levels it will but its a real krap-bowl of a frikn game man. worst $ ive blown on games in a long furkn time... EA -Sports just sux major capitalistic ballz. but i will give it 4 out of 10 for the grafix....yeh they look great and drive like some stupid flash game you use on a 9600 baud telephone - modem connection...
    you wana play arcade style racing??? look up asphalt-8 for yer phone/pad/smart tab ...watever. grafx are incredible and the stress level is insane. just try it out and you will mourn the day you spent even 59.$ on this garbage...
  65. Jul 19, 2014
    Incredible graphics, really fun races and challenges. But most of the history boring and multiplayer mode is a waste of time. I enjoyed it a lot but I think it could be a lot better.
  66. Jul 27, 2014
    Using the XBox One at work, this game is unplayable. Since signing in to Origin is not an option (no internet, shared console) you can't save progress. This means you have to sit through a 10 minute unskippable and boring intro every single time you start the game, only to be forced to play a **** tutorial. TWICE. Once as cops, once as racer. You get a popup every two minutes that stops the game and makes you watch endless explanations on how everything works, narrated with some computerized woman's voice you also can't skip. Since I read ten times faster than she speaks, this pisses me off.

It takes over 40 minutes before you actually get to playing and by then I've realised this is basically Burnout: Paradise but not as fun, with worse controls and sound, same graphics (Burnout is years older) and a higher annoyance factor.
  67. Aug 3, 2014
    Graphics look really cool! Nice landscape details. But gameplay is just so BORING! Events get boring pretty fast. Limited ways to customize your car or choose cars. No offline multiplayer mode! Looks like a big map, but once you get to know it... it gets kind of boring. No real storyline or characters. Videos between chapters suck big time! You can easily get hundreds of points by destroying cops in interceptors mode, while when driving a perfect race you might only get rewarded with a disappointing amount of points. Some things are just not thought through! Don't buy, just a waste of money! Expand
  68. Aug 3, 2014
    I feel like the critics did their job well on this one, it deserves an 8/10, though on the lower side. It's not even close to an excellent game like Infamous 2, but it does it's job.

The racing controls are amazing. They're much more realistic than NFS: Most Wanted, being a little bit harder to control. The graphics are much more realistic, using the PS4's next-gen processor quite well,
    and making you a lot more absorbed into the game (like the Repair Shops and N2O boosts). Also, the map is quite large, making it actually taking adequate time to explore it. The driving does it's job - pumping adrenaline into your body, giving you a similar rush to a roller-coaster, especially when doing a Hard event and/or when you're a Racer. The massively-multiplayer-mode is kind-of innovative for the Racing genre, and I bet it's really fun, I mean, I don't like that type of stuff, but for those who do, it must be quite entertaining. It's just really fun overall, because of the gameplay and the graphics. Oh yeah, and the storyline is a step above the other NFS games.

Now the cons. First of all, it's pretty pissy that you can't use the PS Move controller with NFS: Rivals. It's a minor issue, but I kind of liked PS Move with NFS: Most Wanted. Second of all, it was published by EA, which makes the game slightly unfinished. Once, I was just doing a Rapid Response when I unintentionally got stuck in limbo. WTF? Also, I heard that there was an error with downloading the game from the PS Store, I don't know about it since I got the hard-copy version. Third of all, the story is still quite bland. Cops vs. Racers, EA, we get it, shut up. This is also a minor issue, since Racing games don't revolve around story. Lastly, I can't play this for more than 2.5 hours straight in the end-game stages, for 2 reasons:
    1. The gameplay is repetitive, you eventually get bored of driving the same streets over and over and over again, it makes you want to play something else after a while.
    2. The difficulty curve is HUGE. You go from having objectives that even a toddler could figure out how to do (like driving to the repair shop), to objectives that are quite difficult that force you to either go MLG, or go home (like getting a gold medal in 2 [HARD] events).

Bottom line is that this game does it's job - an adrenaline-pounding racing game that forces you to think fast and push your skills to the limit. Some people will love it, some people will feel rather indifferent (like me), and some people will hate it with a passion.
  69. Sep 10, 2014
    The only recent need for speed game that had anything good about it was Most Wanted, NFS Rivals just makes me angry every time I put it in my Playstation 4 , I used to love this series, I don't know who is the anti master mind behind the newer instalments, but it's like they put these out and say to themselves, how many fools will buy this , it's going to take a lot of convincing to prove Need For Speed will ever be worth buying again Expand
  70. Sep 19, 2014
    The game looks amazing, and the gameplay is great. However, what's not so great is that you can't pause the game (seriously wtf?!), and you lose all your hard-earned money if you lose.
  71. Sep 16, 2014
    I love driving games, I love the competition, the constant search for improvement, that 100th of a second by taking the corner perfectly, braking as late as possible but still being able to make the bend. That's why when I got a PS4, granted, a bit late (April time) I had to pick up the only available racing game. Need for Speed Rivals.
    I found Rivals to be enjoyable to begin with,
    however the cheesy, and frankly terrible, story of "rivals becoming enemies" yada yada yada quickly became very off putting. The racing itself is quite good, however I feel a few features that have been in racing games for quite a while were missing, such as split times and lap races. For a games that tells you to try and beat your friends times constantly, it would be nice if we could see during races where we are losing time. Another pitfall that again felt fun to begin with but quickly became an annoyance was the weapons, most feel quite samey, it also seems that the enemies tend to seek you out more than the AI cars. The AI cars are also very quick to recover and break the concept of faster cars. You will see in races where you are on the straight going flat out in the fastest car in the game with Nitrous boosting you, other "slower" cars catching you up. This can be particularly annoying if you have spent an entire race in front, only to be overtaken by a car that is slower than you at the death. I played through the entire racer campaign, and completed every speed list on the cop campaign. The cop campaign did have a bit more enjoyment, purely because you got to wreck cars. Again though, this got old fast. The only reason I managed to complete the whole thing is because I was going to go for the platinum trophy, however, I got so bored that I gave that up as a bad job and traded the game in before getting round to completing all the racer speed lists.
    Graphically the game is great. the deserts, the forests and the snowy mountain passes all look fantastic on the PS4, the cars also look great. One thing I would like to see from a racing game in the PS4/XB1 generation is some accurate damage physics.
  72. Oct 17, 2014
    i really like NFS. i played it from ps1 till now and even in android. NFS is a great games specially RIVALS whose police are strong. its Graphic rate is 9 of 10 . its more interesting than GT and other games who are just racing. RIVALS is combination of racing and persuit
  73. Oct 26, 2014
    Nothing about NFS Rivals couldn't have been done on current gen hardware. The game offers nothing new to the series and is almost a lovechild between 2010's "Hot Pursuit" and 2012's "Most Wanted", both by Criterion games. When the online features work and everyone in your game session is cooperating, the game offers an E3-demonstration-like experience. However, the game's open world always online structure basically turns the game into a haven for trolls. The small car list, lack of any meaningful customization, required grinding, and overpowered top-tier cars means NFS Rivals is best enjoyed in short bursts and definitely not worth full price. Expand

1. Feb 13, 2014
    A fast and furious racing game, where cops constantly try to catch the racers. Multiplayer is seamless, but it feels like a single player mode, since you rarely bump (pun intended) into other players. [Jan 2014]
  2. Jan 13, 2014
    Need for Speed: Rivals is nothing if not ridiculously dumb fun, but that just makes its multiplayer failings all the more disappointing.
  3. Jan 13, 2014
    So a very good racing game, rather than a great one.