Strider PlayStation 4

7.1

1. Jul 14, 2014
    A solid Japanese platformer, Strider benefits from good level design and fluid gameplay. What little story there is in the game comes straight from a Manga comic, and borders the ridiculous. Running around the massive map looking for upgrades, etc., gets tedious after a while, but otherwise it's engaging.
  2. Jul 30, 2014
    Strider is a stock standard side scrolling hack and slash game, with similarity's to Metroid style games where you need to get upgrades to access new areas. Being unoriginal also means that the game play is well refined and polished from years of older games to learn from. As you progress the game gets more enjoyable as it becomes more of a challenge and you learn new tricks.Strider is a stock standard side scrolling hack and slash game, with similarity's to Metroid style games where you need to get upgrades to access new areas. Being unoriginal also means that the game play is well refined and polished from years of older games to learn from. As you progress the game gets more enjoyable as it becomes more of a challenge and you learn new tricks. Unfortunately the setting and back ground dose not improve ,the game starts out very grey and bland and remains that way through the whole adventure. Better looking and varied levels is almost a necessity for a game so unoriginal. Overall fun for an old school game play fix. Expand
  3. Feb 21, 2014
    I'm not au fait with the original Strider - it's likely I played it during my Spectrum days, but if I did, it obviously didn't leave a lasting impression. So I'll base this review on a first timer......

It's relatively cheap and it looks like it. Boring colour palette and bland visuals which wouldn't push the PS3, let alone the PS4. It's difficult, which I don't mind, but almost just for the sake of it. The original is renowned for it's harsh difficulty, so maybe it's simply a case of doing it again, but sometimes the difficulty just seems unnecessary. Possibly a ploy to lengthen the game?

I'm not bothered either way, because I couldn't be bothered to complete such a boring looking, repetitive, button mashing arcade game. I'd much rather play a remake of Target Renegade or Double Dragon.

Considering the masterpiece, i.e.Trine 2 (one of best games currently available on PS4, especially in 3D), is similar money, then Strider is way overpriced. Unless you're a hardcore Strider fan wanting to play for the sake of nostalgia.

Average at best.
  4. Sep 4, 2014
    I would lie if I said that I didn't like the game. I rate it 5 because of the annoying save points. Save points are few specially for those who love to explore. I finished one of the bosses and thought that it will do an autosave. I had to close my PS4 and leave. When I returned I found that I had to restart from a very early stage before the boss fight!!!
    Extremely annoying. And no
    Extremely annoying. And no indication it's saving.
  5. Mar 7, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. not bad give a 6 even a 7 it is a game like you click square a milion and milion and milons of times but it is not a bad game you can go and buy it Expand
  6. Aug 27, 2014
    Strider is a game that has some interesting gameplay to it. your a ninja that goes around killing government employees and guards. this platform jumper has very smooth controls yet lacks a little customization. i got it for free but it's market price is 15$ when it should be more like 10$. no bad just repetitive and fairly linear. a decent story but the fights consist of you waiting forStrider is a game that has some interesting gameplay to it. your a ninja that goes around killing government employees and guards. this platform jumper has very smooth controls yet lacks a little customization. i got it for free but it's market price is 15$ when it should be more like 10$. no bad just repetitive and fairly linear. a decent story but the fights consist of you waiting for your opponent to attack so you can dodge and hit him once or twice so you can do the same thing again, eventually killing him. pretty balanced, worth watching gameplay to get a feel of what it's like. Expand
  7. Oct 29, 2015
    A fast paced 2d platformer/roaming beat 'em up Strider was a title I enjoyed more than I initially thought I would.

The metroidvania style progression may occasionally lead to moments where you'll get lost and the checkpoints are a little too inconsistent (at one point I was forced to replay about 20 minutes' worth of the game) but, thanks to a decent variety of enemy types, the gameplay itself remains pretty enjoyable from start to finish.
  8. Aug 5, 2014
    This game is a classic Metroidvania that hits all the right spots. The decision to not make it linear was a correct one, as this would have been a not so great game.

The powers are great, the world traversal gets better and the updates are a win. The controls are also rock solid. It does have a not-so-good level design and also I HATE the art design. I get that this is cyber ninja

It does have a not-so-good level design and also I HATE the art design. I get that this is cyber ninja stuff, I just wish I wasn't.

This game has a slow start, does not take you by the hand and is quite hardcore. The exploration could be better but the plasma powers on top of the "option" powers create nice layers for the combat and a nice feeling of the unlocking of areas. Great boss fights

The technical aspect is good, but the story is sh!t and bare-bones. Mediocre voice acting at best.

All in all, I consider this above average and as a PS Plus game, we are happy to have it. I also love Metroidvania games.

ps. After the first hour or so, I thought this was "5". Thankfully it gets quite better.
  9. Mar 22, 2016
    Side scrolling hack and slash with a medium difficulty for any one thats into the genre. Looks really good, controls a bit airy i feel. Story.........not much really to talk about. I never played the first one so I don't know how it will compare. If your into retro style games give this a go!
  10. Aug 9, 2014
    Game is fun at first. In my first first hour, I can easily say that I got the joy of mindless button smashing. But after some time it became boring time by time.
    First of all robots or creatures that you slay are way too many but unbelievably mindless. I did not even killed by a minion in my whole play. It seems that these creatures are in the game just satisfy our button smashing demand.
    By the way, there are not much variety in these minions too. Soldiers,Shielded soldiers, Golden shielded soldiers etc.... Actually there are not much more than 5-6 type of minions that you slay in the game which makes this game extremely repetitive.
    Art-work and graphics are mediocre. Musics are worse. I played the whole game in mute mode. Story...... Well simply non existent.
    The best things about the game are BOSS fights and unlike minions, BOSS designs are creative and fights have some kind of challenge. The only reason of my score is for BOSS fights.
    After 2-3 hours of game-play, I found myself just jump over and run away from all kind of minions and try to run the next Boss fight that I will encounter.
    I played this game free of charge. If you will pay for this game, I think there are much better alternatives in PS4 at the moment.
  11. May 2, 2015
    Strider returns victorious. Great boss fights, responsive controls, interesting level design... those are only some of the elements that make this side-scroller such a success.
  12. Nel
    Jan 24, 2017
    Strider is a fun game that has several key mechanism which makes it unique. The game allows you to kinda level up with gathering upgrades and doing mini challenges. The game has several levels, and might take you up to until 5-6 hours to complete
  13. Nov 15, 2015
    A basic but solid Metroidvania, which starts quite badly, but become more interesting among time. You certainly won't play it twice, but the first run is pleasant.

1. Dec 20, 2015
    Solid sound, excellent graphics for what it is, fair writing.
  2. Aug 25, 2014
    A quality remake that is well worth the price tag.
  3. Apr 29, 2014
    Strider is a great example of how you can reboot an old arcade game with modern sensibilities and still keep it true to its roots.