6.4

1. Mar 1, 2014
    One of the best action-stealth titles in years and the first real lived game that actually makes you feel like a real thief yourself. This game has potential to start this year right.

Maki.
  2. Feb 25, 2014
    So awesine, reminds me of Dishonored i love the stealth gameplay in this game thank you Square Enix * Eidos Montreal!!!! cant wait for a Thief 5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  3. Feb 25, 2014
    Great stealth game, a few things are wrong like audio bugs. But seriously if you play this in hardcore and ghost mode you will have serious fun. A must buy on PS4 and PC.
  4. Mar 3, 2014
    I just finished. For me it's one of the best stealth games. Loved the scenes, characters and the story. I don't know why hating this game. Can only be poser player. Nowadays it seems that no one else knows how to enjoy and have fun in a game.
  5. Feb 25, 2014
    So Thief has arrived and I've read many reviews that just punish this game, for many reasons. The first reason I'd like to dismiss is the one where THIEF is just trying to be DISHONORED. There would be no Dishonored without Thief. I loved Dishonored by the way. I'm probably 3 hours into Thief, I bought it day 1 digital, before the reviews came out. While it does borrow from Dishonored mildly it's still a Thief game. I'm have so much fun. It's a really amazing stealth game. You do feel like a Thief. Complaints about the world being confined or claustrophobic, I just don't get. The world has a very distinct feel and flow and I like it. It's moody and beautiful. It's dark. I love it. I love stumbling upon someones' place and looting it. It's very satisfying. The A.I. is not as bad as the reviews say. At least not for me. I think the harder the difficulty level, the smarter the enemies are. As for traversing the world I have yet to fall from anything without it being my fault. My biggest complaint so far with the whole game is the clumsy use of the ps4 touch pad to access my inventory. It's maddening sometimes. You try and select something to use and it becomes a motor skills mini game they never intended. Anyway. If you like stealth games, give it a try. It's pretty damn great. I should address the combat. You should never get into a fight in thief. You are weak and more than one guy will off you. It's not meant to be that game. It's a stealth game. Could of used more polish for sure. But not as bad as they say. If you were excited for this game, give it a shot. I'm sure glad that I did. Expand
  6. Feb 25, 2014
    This is not a 10/10 game, and it's certainly not a 0/10 or 1/10 game either. Those who post such reviews are either upset at the bad reviews its receiving, or just haters who don't like the franchise or are still stuck on the first game that came out in 1998. Seriously, the game is a reboot, and it has its flaws, but it's a lot of fun to play. Most of the reviews I've seen say the same thing: flawed, but atmospheric and addictive gameplay. 7/10 seems to be a fair review figure. Expand
  7. Feb 25, 2014
    Thief is truly an excellent game for excellent people. Foreboding atmosphere, superbly controls, complex gameplay systems, intricate graphics, exceptional storytelling, etc. Eidos Montreal have proven once again that their team has the chops to reboot a classic franchise after the incredible Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Thief is a Thief game for fans of the older titles. While some things have changed, 99% of it remains the same but better than ever. 10/10, well deserved! Expand
  8. Feb 26, 2014
    All in all, Thief is not a bad game. It may have its flaws, but at the end of the day it's fun to play and to be honest I don't see why it got poor reviews aside from the fact that there is too much nostalgia being applied by reviewers who want the new Thief to be like the games from 10+ years ago.

I've never played the old Thief games, so perhaps that's beneficial for me since I have
    no previous expectation of what the game should be like.

The PS4 graphics look fine. They're not "next gen" but then this is a game that was in development for many years, primarily for PS3 and XBox, so you're not going to see Killzone Shadow Fall type visuals but it's no worse than any other game I've played over the past few years. The next-gen games will come, but it's too early at this point so people should stop expecting it.

Gameplay is fine. It's a stealth game and there's lots of opportunity for sneaking around, and there's a ton of collectibles if you're into trophy hunting that will keep you busy for some time. Combat is weak, but then combat is to be avoided anyway so if you take that approach (the correct approach for this sort of game) then it won't be an issue.

The story is sort of weak, and the voice acting isn't anything to get excited about, but it's a game not a Oscar contender so again I'm not all that bothered. I want to play the game, not watch endless cutscenes. Not every game is going to have the story quality of The Last of Us, that's just a fact.

Is it worth $60? That depends on what sort of game you like. If you like stealth games where sneaking around is the preferred method of gameplay and aren't too bothered by games that lead you from checkpoint to checkpoint (as most do) then you'll probably enjoy it. If you're looking for an open world Thief game along the lines of Red Dead Redemption or GTA then no, you're going to find it restrictive.

But, to me it's a good game. I'm enjoying it and it's fun to play. That's what I want in a game.

PS: I would ignore any reviews that rate this game below a 5, there's absolutely no reason why anyone should rate the game this low, and those that do are not looking at it honestly.
  9. Feb 25, 2014
    Amazing graphics but it fails to deliver on everything else. I am speaking as a 38 yo video gaming veteran. I played every stealth or action stealth game out there, including both of the earlier Thief games. I really had high hopes about this game because of the strength of the Thief material and the fact that Square Enix (also the publisher of great remakes such as Deus Ex and Hitman) will be publishing. However i am really disappointed about how linear the game is. It feels like a stealth COD which really turns me off. You can't choose between different paths while approaching to missions. the game is not open world at all. You have to go from that scripted tiny street and there is no other way of reaching to designated destination. I am around 4-5 hours into the game and i still have no clue about the story and my overall aim is unclear. the story is shallow and not presented well. I even disliked Garreth who talks to much now and for some reason i don't care about this character. I never skip the cutscenes while playing a game for the first time but i did it while playing Thief. Ah.. i wish i wasn't writing such a negative review for one my favourite titles ever but this is what i think. Expand
  10. Feb 25, 2014
    What a great way to revisit the old Thief franchise, I am having a total blast with this game. I turned off the options that help lead the player through the game by the nose (by highlighting every treasure or interactive item) and am really sitting down to take my time and inch my way through, making sure I get every coin on the street. The game shines for me when I slip those lockpicks back into my sleeves, crack that door open to a new room, and start picking it apart for bits of treasure. The story is alright so far, if I have any complaints it is that the maps are sometimes restrictive in making the player stick to the rails - something that drove me crazy about the Bioshocks. The environments are a little more free here at least, and certainly more rewarding to explore.

I'm hoping for some expansion into multiplayer maps (coop or competitive - thieves competing to get the highest total, thieves vs guards, etc?). I'm damn glad that this has finally been released, and I really think it has been worth the wait. The grandfather of stealth games might not have revolutionized the genre here, but it has definitely made one of the most solid entries.

I am running the PC version, and it's too bad that I don't have a PS4 controller to play around with the vibration feedback, that sounds like a great feature. Steam kind of screwed me over with an extra 40 minutes of downloading before I could start playing even though I finished my preload the night before release, but neither of those things are problems of the game itself. Once the post preload finished, I got straight in and had no problems at all.
  11. Feb 25, 2014
    You must be kidding me, First they got rid of the original voice actor which should have been a sign they did not know what they were doing. I wonder if any of the people that designed this game ever played the original PC game. It had open levels not constrained like this thing is. If you have height in a game there should be a fear of falling and not even to include jumping is the dumbest idea have ever seen. I cant believe they f upped a classic. Expand
  12. Feb 25, 2014
    I have never played the original, but I dig the vibe of this game. If I hold back the urge to run around bashing every one in the head and just play as a sneak, the AI is solid and the levels are challenging. I played it set on "hard". The makers seem to indicate that you can choose a play style. ie., Go nuts or sneak, and you will still have a solid game, like you can in Splinter Cell Blacklist. I disagree. I think this game is definitely designed for those who enjoy sneaking. If that is your thing, I think you'll enjoy it. Expand
  13. Feb 26, 2014
    Please, for the love of god. Support good video games in the industry by NOT BUYING THIS!!! This is such a mess I don't even know where to begin.

Okay, so they ripped almost the entire sound element of Thief out the window, the only things on the floor that make any more noise than complete silence are shards of glass and water. Every NPC's voice volume is at the same level to the point
    where you can't tell if someone is right beside you or two rooms away. It's a fascinatingly large **** in the sound department, to say the least.

Now on to the marketed "amazing immersive AI" that was in the Steam Store Page feature list, a FLAT OUT LIE. This game has some of the worst AI I've seen in a modern video game, you can get seen by guards and hide in a **** cupboard and they will forget you are there and go back to their business. You can do this six times in a row and they'd be as surprised to see you as they were the first time, and as entirely clueless at knowing where you are hiding as every consecutive time you had hidden in the same place.

The loot aspect is entirely downplayed, Garrett is no longer a master thief, but a petty hoarder. He grabs absolutely everything, from metal cups and cutlery to scissors and magnifying glasses worth 1-5 gold each. This is the stuff that Garrett would quickly gloss over while looking for precious golden candlesticks and expensive wines in the old games.

Not only this but loot doesn't even factor into the objectives of the damn game, and why would it, since the Garrett character has been so butchered and he's been put to live in an abandoned clocktower. He has no need for loot to pay the rent just to stay alive like our previous Garrett.

On top of all this, and the rest about Garrett's character being butchered, which is far too much for me to fit into this 5000 word maximum review, the levels are linear as all-hell. Everything is a straight corridor, every place you have to break in to has one way that the developers planned for you to use, gone are the days of open-ended Thief levels, now it plays like a mix between Call of Duty and Uncharted as far as level design goes.

Rope arrows have also been butchered, if you thought their removal from Deadly Shadows was bad, you're going to wish you had the Climbing Gloves. The Rope Arrows in this new Thief game can only attach to very specific roped wooden beam spots, not any wooden surface, they may as well not be a rope arrow at this point.

The dialogue is atrocious, even if you don't count the two main characters acting like they're in a emo teen angst movie. The guards are constantly mumbling about extremely stupid **** like "cock-rings".

Please, save your money and help the industry by not buying this excrement. If you really can't stand the old Thief games because you feel they're dated and want to try a game like old Thief then the closest you're going to find is Dishonored. Buy and play that instead.
  14. Feb 25, 2014
    Thief 1 & 2 are classics, forever changing what we thought video games were capable of. This ugly reboot gets Thief about as wrong as it is possible to get wrong. I kid you not, there is a sequence where you are chased rooftop to rooftop by dogs and if you screw up or slow down you are killed. This game is a total mess, watered down, linear, consolized and casualized for the ignorant masses. There is such incredible content still being made for Thief on PC, The HD Mods, The Dark Mod with new levels being released constantly, there is absolutely no reason to pay for this garbage. Expand
  15. Feb 25, 2014
    I have enjoyed this game so far and while it is not a 10 or 9 and if i am honest 8 might be stretching it this game is still solid 7.5-7.9 range. To address some concerns i have heard 1.Load times yes they do occur in the city but from what i have seen they are forewarned before hand and also they can be lengthy but they appear not to as abundant as some have stated 2. frame rate during gameplay i have found no stutters however during the fmv their is sometimes a noticeable slowing however it could be meant as a misguided attempt for artistic flair 3. Story ok people lets be honest the story in thief games has always been slightly confusing and tied up in some strange socioreligous themes (see the hammers). My opinion if you play thief mainly for the story and not the game play your missing the point :D. all in all i give it a 7.8 if you enjoy stealth game play you will enjoy this game if not this is not for you Expand
  16. Mar 2, 2014
    Whats going on how is this a bad game its very exciting to me it has to be the best game out there for next gen for now. i don't really see much wrong in the game i though they nailed it.
  17. Feb 26, 2014
    Let me start out by saying I am completely impartial to anyone else's opinions and my review is my own perception of this game.

I played the original thief as a young teen and wasn't capable of completing it or completely understanding the game. What i do remember is it was a hard, dark, and a fun game. The new reboot is exactly that. For one, Square Enix does an excellent job of
    bringing you back into previous worlds from past games. Garret feels like he belongs in this world. He is at home, and it feels and plays like the first one. They also did great at making Agent 47 fit perfectly in the newest Hitman reboot rather similarly. The controls take a minute to get used to, but they work well for this game. The hardest difficulty is pretty decently hard and enemies are pretty smart. They will look for you if they find open doors or cabinets that were left closed. I would recommend disabling most of the hints, item shimmers and waypoints to make the game ore immersive and fun. The sneaking in the dark is alot like the first Splinter Cell, with a dark meter bubble. It shows if you are hidden or not, and the controller lights up brightly when u are in the light. All the things are present from the first as i can tell, water arrows, etc. Im only in chapter 2 but it seems this game will be very very long, which is what i really need in a game. I restarted the first chapter twice looking for all the loot and only got 66% of it. Total about 15 of 350 treasures i have collected. A somewhat slow paced, adult game that requires patience. Something other reviewers are not use to. Some people have dismissed this game already because of the voice actor is different from the rest of the games in the series, but i think the voice acting is pretty good. This game makes you feel like a true thief. Lock-picking and safe cracking are spot on. Ive been waiting for a game like this for a while. I usually beat games pretty fast but this will keep me busy for a while. Many different ways to complete the missions, but the game does seem a bit more linear than the rest. The only thing i don't like about this game is the frame rate drops below 20 sometimes on PS4 which im sure will be fixed in future updates. All in all a solid game which doesn't deserve some of the flak it has received. It is defiantly worth buying to have it before your friends :] hope this helps. Expand
  18. Feb 26, 2014
    Great game. Some of the best stealth mechanics I have seen in quite a while. Combat is lacks but its not really a focus of the game. Graphics are great. If I have one gripe it is that there is no fence system. Garret seems to just take stuff and turn it into money.
  19. Mar 2, 2014
    Basically this is exactly what i wanted in a new Thief game, a stealth game isn't everyone's cup of tea but if you liked the previous iterations you will enjoy the sneaking in this game!
  20. Feb 28, 2014
    If you take a look at Killzone for PS4 rating, it got more than Thief. I mean - what were you thinking people? If dumb idea-free action is better than balanced tactical game, from the metacritic "critics" point of view, I sincerely don't know what to say.
  21. Feb 27, 2014
    I honestly cannot believe the low scores that this game is getting. I've played through roughly 4 of the 8 chapters so far, and all I can say is that this game is lots of fun, giving you plenty of ways to play each chapter. Sure, one of the big complaints is that the combat mechanics are clunky, but noooooo **** This IS NOT BATMAN, or assassins creed, or any other type of combat game. Even so, the combat is decent enough, with upgrades that help you along the way. This game revolves around figuring out the BEST way to complete a chapter, based on your personal preference. Wanna knock everybody out? Go ahead. Wanna sneak by everybody unnoticed? Go ahead. Wanna combine the two? GO RIGHT AHEAD. These idiots giving this game a 1, or even worse, a zero? In all honesty, they are mentally incapable of writing a decent review. I'm going to rate it a perfect 10 just to help bring up some of these poor reviews. In all honesty, with 20 years of solid gaming experience, I'd rate it an eight and a half. These missions are well thought out by the design team, giving you suspense, action, and some reallly great stealth opportunities. **** the haters, honestly. People these days are so inclined to search for some crazy, shoot-em up gameplay that they can't truly appreciate a good game. Expand
  22. Feb 26, 2014
    Really?? A 0, 1 for a score? I have started the game and it is really fun. I guess this is because I did not play the other games, but the game plays well, controls well. The only framerate issues that I could see were during some of the cutscenes and load times after being discovered could be improved but overall the developers did a great job with this game. Ignore the negative reviews and get this game! You won't be disappointed! Expand
  23. Feb 28, 2014
    Thief has been around a long time. The first game came out in 1998 I believe and it is an iconic game in the industry and inspired lots of other stealth games. Each new game in the franchise has had heavy expectations placed on it. Most Thief games since then have had a mixed reception. There are those who expect each new game to be exactly like the original. And there are others who want Thief to be more of an action game. Then there are those that have always understood what Thief is about and enjoy it for what it is: a damn good pure stealth series.

The new Thief is no exception. Nothing has given me the sense of skulking about in the shadows and having to use stealth in order to survive better than Thief has. This isn't an action/stealth hybrid like Dishonored or Splinter Cell that you can go in guns blazing and cut down half a dozen guards in a short amount of time. In Thief you have to remain undetected or face the consequences.

At first I was disappointed by the fact you can't use the rope arrow on any wood surface as before and can only attach to specially highlighted beams. But the game makes up for it in other ways. The new swoop ability is pure awesomeness. It gives a fluidity and speed to the game while still feeling stealthy and appropriate.

The graphics are quite good, with some of the best lighting and shadows I have ever seen in a game. The world itself is quite dreary and that may turn off some people, but it has character and a strange charm of its own.

The sound could be a little more atmospheric in my opinion, but it is generally still generally good. The voice acting is very good in the case of Garrett and fairly good in the case of most of the other characters. Garrett is such an intriguing character.

All in all I think Thief carries the stealth torch admirably, and probably better than any other modern "stealth" game. I've enjoyed it a lot and if you like stealth I am sure you will enjoy it too.
  24. Mar 1, 2014
    If you are an Assassins Creed fan YOU WILL LOVE THIS GAME !!! I love it !!! the history, the sounds, grapfhics are very good !!! Eidos Montreal..... tomb raider, thief.... I love your games........
  25. Feb 27, 2014
    This game is 10 worthy no question. The only problem i have had is getting around the map and finding side quests, but that will just take a bit of getting used to. I personally don't mind the voice acting at all, the story was good, gameplay fantastic. there were many great customization options, and overall, it was a great game
  26. Feb 27, 2014
    I am going to sum this game up real quick. I just beat it and it had to be the worse Stealth game I have ever played. Stay away from this game. I rented it and I am so glad I did. If you ignore my advice do not say I did not worn you. Also if you are looking for a good story you will not even find one here. I played through it and I do not even know what happened. Just terrible and the biggest let down so far this year. Expand
  27. Feb 28, 2014
    - poor level design
    - poor AI
    - cliché story
    - dubstep (I **** you not)
    This game is a mockery of its predecessors.
    This game is only "Thief" in name.
    Do not buy it.
  28. Feb 28, 2014
    Every once in a while a game comes along that is hard to accurately review for everyone.
    Do I review the quality of the game towards casual gamers? Or towards people who understand and are fans of stealth?
    Because depending on who you're speaking to, the review score will be wildly different.
    Those who never understood stealth games and insisted on playing them as shooters or fighters,
    when the true intent of the design is to AVOID combat, those overly aggressive types will find this terrible.
    Combat is only passable and you are not an assassin. More than one guy on you, you might as well accept death.
    Top it off with the old gen animations and speech (bad acting, overly repeated lines from random AI) and a rather dreary city, it starts off with a bad impression.
    While the buildings are fine enough in detail, the city lacks personality and feels like a series of generic rooms ultimately.

That's the bad stuff.

Now I'll let it be known I'm a big fan of stealth play in old Thief, Metal Gear and Splinter Cell. I'm the kind of guy that, despite them giving you more than enough weapons for a massacre in Splinter Cell, I like playing completely undetected and killing no one (if I'm good enough, usually I do have to knock out one or two).
    And as a stealth fan, playing my PS4 version, I love Thief. The level's furniture and guards may be generic, but the layout of the levels towards your goals is excellent if you play to be a true thief.
    And being a true thief is the key here. I've seen many professional reviews complaining about the focus feature and the highlighting where to go in any given room or even Garret himself telling you what to do.
    And it's true, all of those would be legitimate complaints except for one thing. It can ALL be turned off. The fact there's an individual option to turn on or off Garret's voice impressed me, someone thinking to add that. (I went with off, let me use my brain and not be told answers)

For me, I'm going to judge this game by the merits for a stealth fan with proper settings.
    By proper, I mean turning off everything except your mission marker.
    And with that clean screen, your goal is to pick the pockets and steal the valuables....and no fighting.
    Try going through the game without killing or knocking out anyone and being a true sneak. Then you will see the genius in the control and level layout.
    And instead of ridiculing Square for making a game with added enhancements and hand holding to make it easier on casual gamers, I commend them for it. They made a game with every individual item can be turned off or on, so you can tailor make it towards your skill level. Being all inclusive while adaptive should be the goal of all games.
    When played correctly and understanding and enjoying the slower, deliberate stalking nature of this style of game, this may have an older type feel to the build, but it's a top quality older type.
    It's fair to say it's rough around the edges on a technical level, but nothing that effects gameplay. My PS4 version has not stuttered, had no pop up and surprisingly, I saw no glitches.
    Even Ghosts, Battlefield, and AC4 on PS4 had their occasional glitch. Despite it's aged designed, within those confines it is polished.
    The levels offer tons of hidden treasures and replayability and some of the best levels (in the way of how creative or bold you need to be to remain undetected) I've seen in years. And I play so many games a year, I likely rival a pro game reviewer.
    But the difference between me and a pro reviewer? I'm playing for the love of it, not as a job.

This is one of those games I see getting overly harsh reviews from people who sound like they don't understand this type of game. So here I am, I only posted this to help speak to the true stealth fan trying to figure out if the game is worth it for them. And that answer is yes.
    It's not that those lower scores aren't legitimate. Simply not accurate to people like me who might skip out on a great game because of people who come at a game from a different perspective than stealth fans.
    In the end, I'm giving points towards my personal experience. And I think those points are accurate for those older gamers who've been around and played all the stealth types and are fans of that style. Old stealth fans can safely buy this, knowing they'll get their money's worth. It's a long game even without replaying.
    As for the kids new to these style of games? That's tough to say. I'm not sure how critical they'll be of the animations or if they'll have patience for this style. For them I'm going to knock down the points to about a 6 and say rent.
    And those who treat every game as if it were Call Of Duty and try to barrel through things, yeah, this is 1 or 2 point game for you. Just move on, this game wasn't meant for you.
  29. Mar 2, 2014
    I recently purchased this game off of the idea that this was purely a stealth game. It's a bit like assassin's creed in first person without all the killing.

I was concerned as this game has had such mixed reviews, but alas I went ahead and purchased. I'm glad I did. This game is good. It's not great, but it is definitely NOT BAD. The graphics and atmosphere are amazing. Sneaking
    around and trying to steal things off of guards or in front of a sleeping person is just... Gratifying.

Combat is non-existent. You can do some stealth takedowns, but if you get caught by more than one guard, it's game over. As it should be in a true stealth game.

People were complaining about a mass amount of loading screens. I have not noticed an abundance of them. I let my friend play and he took a different route than I did for the same objective. It was interesting to see him play (He was very aggressive and at the end of the level was 78% Predator and then split between Ghost.)

I play with headphones on and the room darkened and it definitely increased my immersion as this game is inherently dark and moody. Make sure to turn off the focus and most of the hand holding difficulty options to make the game more tense and feel more open ended.

Cons: I did notice some choppiness in the PS4 framerates (Like if you'd want to turn VSYNC on if it was a PC...) Also the dialogue with the guards gets repetitive. Sometimes the AI is completely ignorant.

A few patches and I believe this game will be up to many's expectations as for the game. As of right now if you are a fan of pure stealth gameplay and don't mind a bug or two, pick up this game. If not, wait it out for patches or rent it. It is enjoyable.
  30. Feb 25, 2014
    Its not bad, but often i caught myself thinking: That's a lot like Dishonored. Just not as good. The biggest Problem for me is the world: Everything feels stiff and misplaced. Then there is the blue glow and the white paint everywhere like the game is horrified that you could miss a part of its amazing experience. Everyone except the watch does not even seem to notice you even if you stand right in front of them. The world has so many little failures in its building... it just feels lazy most of the time. Expand
  31. Feb 27, 2014
    I originally rated this game a 4, and compared it to Godfather III. I may have been to hasty. Indeed, the first couple of missions were clunky and did not showcase the game very well. And there are many problems with movement, such as the intermittent availability of the jump command, and periodic crashes, but still, I am now impressed by the vast detailed areas of the city that you can roam around in. I find myself playing for several hours a day, and that should speak for itself. I guess the trick is to keep playing longer than 2 hours- eventually you will discover it's charms. I still wish they used the old voice actor for Garrett. However, If you are like me, you are going to buy this despite the large amount of bad reviews. I now think it was worth it. BTW- unlike others on this post I think it is valid to compare any game of a series to it's previous titles. If they didn't want you to compare it to the previous titles they should have named it something different. While it breaks somewhat with the spirit of the prior 3 games, it is still worthy enough to call itself Thief. Expand
  32. Feb 28, 2014
    Disclaimer: I’m not the type of person to write reviews but since Thief is one of, if not my favourite series of games I felt I should on this occasion. This decision was also made in-part due to a ridiculous amount of clearly fake reviews here, as well as shill posts on steam & various gaming boards around the net. I'm incredibly disappointed in the dev team and square enix for attempting to dump money trying to buy a better 'score' & sales rather than spending the money making a better game.

- Lighting is binary, you're either visible or you're not. Fog is everywhere but does nothing.
    - Sound is largely irrelevant when compared with previous games,
    - Controls are limited after being designed for controllers, 2 sets of crucial actions (Movement/Interaction) are grouped and unchangeable. Enjoy falling off a building after mantling when you intended to climb instead.
    - AI is probably some of the worst I’ve ever seen (Thief 1 & 2 actually have superior AI).
    - Level design is mostly corridors & shafts. In each level there’s 2 routes minimum, didn’t find more than 3. Obvious ‘stealth’ route, alternate route/Deus Ex HR-style ventilation shaft route & then a more ambitious, often vertical route if you’re lucky.
    - Missions: They very quickly devolve into find whatever/go-to wherever to watch the next cutscene and witness the atrocious story.
    - Garrett: Generic, modern protag who the world revolves around. No witty remarks, mostly just blurts out edgy comments or recounts information the player is already aware of.
    - Port: Pretty good except for the memory leaks & crashes.
    - Graphics: Bloated, old unreal engine 3 with improved crisp shadows. Colour palette: blue + orange only.
    - Story: I’d actually be wasting your time on this planet if I attempted to try and repeat it.

More words:
    - Load screen & cutscene to gameplay ratio is ridiculous
    - You can’t jump (there is limited contextual jumping/mantling)
    - Viewmodel fov (T-Rex/invisible piano hands) is immersion breaking & may also induce nausea
    - There is a qte within the first 30 seconds of gameplay
    - Forced takedown sequences
    - Forced escape sequences
    - Thirdperson climbing sequences
    - Occasional QTE before load screens/level loads
  33. Feb 28, 2014
    Welcome to metacritic, where morons either score a 10 or a zero.
    Look Thief is a good game, yes it does have its flaws but I'm glad it stands on its own two legs because truthfully I've got bored of Assassins Creed games since they went yearly.

There is a lot to explore, and many ways to do the missions, replay the whole game as a master thief and try to never get seen if you can
    handle it.

The majority of reviews here haven't touched the game, bad reviews were surrounding this game over the past two weeks and trolls always follow.
    The same thing will happen with Titanfall in a few weeks.

Good game, worth playing, I paid £33 for it and got it a day early, very happy with my purchase.

Ignore the hate. 8.
  34. Mar 2, 2014
    Another textbook betrayal of a previously classic series. One more drop in the ever-heavier bucket of video game industry degeneracy. The crash cannot come soon enough.
  35. Mar 2, 2014
    Ahora que ya he jugado un buen número de horas me atrevo a decir que Thief es un fantástico juego de sigilo, que estoy disfrutando mucho.
    Las notas negativas de algunos análisis, como la publicada en Meristation, me estaban haciendo dudar si comprar el juego o no. Me alegro de haber ignorado las rewiews negativas y haberlo adquirido.
    Si te ha gustado Dishonored este Thief también te
    gustará. Expand
  36. Mar 2, 2014
    Personally, I loved this game. The stealth aspects of it, the mechanics, and I didn't see any of the so-called bugs. I had a fun, enjoyable time playing this game. It had a good story, a solid play style, and, in the end, I felt as though there was complete closure on the story with all questions answered. From the beginning mission to the final encounter, it was a non-stop, stealth packed, fun time on my part. Expand
  37. crs
    Feb 28, 2014
    First of all let me say "They didnt use the original voice actor the evil developer they must hate us" who really cares about this perhaps the original voice actor couldnt do it, didnt want to or is dead. It doesn't mean its a bad game because they used a different actor.

People say its linear, its not it shows the target but leaves it up to you how to accomplish it.

Its not open
    world, it doesn't really matter the world is big enough to explore.

It has a few bugs but what game doesn't and they can always be fixed with a patch.

Buy it and enjoy it for what it is, a lot of fun and don't compare it to dishonoured which for all its plus points was criminally short.
  38. Mar 2, 2014
    The game is quite boring and unappealing. Level progression feels more like an arcade rather than an open world. Stealth mechanics are quite repetitive. Story is predictable and the characters are plain an uncharismatic. Definitely I won't buy this game. Furthermore are many technical issues out there about problems with graphical glitches and bad performance.

Graphically the world is
    beautifully designed. The textures may have some room for improvement but that all. I'm giving it 3 points for level design and graphic in general. One more point for a badly executed but daring attempt of boobies and adult motives. The rest of the game is expendable. Expand
  39. Mar 1, 2014
    I've never played the first thief game, or dishonored and I am not a huge fan of stealth games but I am enjoying every second of this game.

I'm glad I made the purchase, it is really fun and addicting. :)

The only thing I dislike is the touch-pad to change weapons. It doesn't always go to the weapon I want and it can get really annoying. That is why I gave this an 8 instead of a 10. :)
  40. Feb 26, 2014
    What a colossal waste of money. After being disappointed with how this House mutilated the Deus Ex sequel I should have known better than to buy Thief but I just couldn’t help it. I absolutely loved the franchise and I wanted to believe (I really, really did) that they would do it right. But alas a few hours in and I just can’t take it anymore; I’m uninstalling and I only have myself to blame. As a middle age PC gamer I can’t stand games that lead you around by the nose like the very limiting linear path through the missions or the over the top (for those who can’t be bother to try and figure ANYTHING out) focus “ability”. It’s sad when they chose to make a game that while trying to build suspense by having you cross a beam 2 stories up they make it so you can’t fall or because you’re so limited as what types of moves the Devs think you should be allowed to do in a given situation, they have to make what little is open for you to touch glow blue because you’re obviously not bright enough to figure it out for yourself or for that matter, have a world full of objects but make them unable to be touched or manipulated. What kind of 1980’s hardware are we running on?!? You really can’t bump into something or pick up a bottle on the same table as a goblet that was worth something so you can throw it to distract the guards…really. To make matters worse, the voice acting is second rate and the story is lacking in so many ways it’s pathetic. It fails to pull you in or engage you in any way (the truest old time Thief experience is found in side missions that have no bearing on the story). This game reeks as just a money grab on a venerable franchise that had no one to protect it. Eidos Montreal should be ashamed; I know I am for wasting the $45 on it.
    Maybe it’s me but I can’t stand houses such as Eidos Montreal nerfing the controls in PC versions in favor of features like the cover system in DEHR or the lean mechanic and multi-function (just not the one you want right now) button in Thief. I’m thinking it’s just that they are console players and have no grasp on how to play with a keyboard and mouse. I could be wrong but there is no PC player that likes the cover mechanic in a FPS unless they’re playing with a controller. I’m not against console control options but just like every PC gamer out there, I can crouch and move while aiming and accurately firing without some help and without nerfing my controls; it’s not hard.
    This game fails on too many levels. There may be some of you out there who don’t know the franchise and have low expectations but I think that even you will be disappointed with this game.
  41. Feb 27, 2014
    Thief is in my opinion a reboot, of an amazing franchise, done the best way possible. It might not have the richest story of the Thief games, but the gameplay is in many ways flawless. The ai acts the way you would expect in a stealth game, but the variety of enemy design may for some lack a bit. The traps in the game are cleverly placed, stopping the playing from rushing through the game, and forces you to stay aware. The shadows play, like in the other Thief games, a big role, and how you use them will determine your success, or at least how you succeed. The game features great HUD customization, that lets you tweak every detail. The graphics options are fairly extensive and features pretty much all the necessary features. the games has 3 preset difficulties, but for the hardcore player, it won't be much of a challenge. But Thief features customizable difficulty options. These options will make the game harder to play, and for every feature you remove, the game will award you with points, that can be compare to other players on a global leaderboard.
    Sadly the game does feature some minor bugs that, for the most part, will force you to restart the game.

All in all a great game, that deserves a 9/10
  42. Feb 28, 2014
    Question: Whoa....how BAD is this game? Answer: How do I get a refund for a digital download? switch(category){ category 1: If you played Thief (originals) on PC and "enjoyed" them AND you are over 18y/o, you will probably not find the game enjoyable. category 2: If you have an xbox and are 8-11y/o you might enjoy this, if your mom buys this for you. category 3: If you enjoy "swooping" (are you serious?) and "running through" (do me a favour) an interactive, but super-linear, pile of junk-trash, then you might enjoy this, also.
    }
    Just sayin'.

Very surprised by the heroic scores of "critic" reviews. Do not be blinded by the 10/10 or 90% scores...one imagines there are incentives for those people posting such reviews and scores.

Since the dawn of time, mankind has struggled with difficult philosophical questions such as, "how did the universe begin?" and "is there a God?". Add to that list "how was this piece of amateur-code allowed to be part of the Thief franchise?"

It shall remain unknowable.

I am attempting to get a refund - that was no joke. I am a real human reviewer/gamer who played the original thief classic titles on PC.
  43. Mar 1, 2014
    Great game, it may not be the best game ever, but still it's ton of fun to play. I think the only bad thing about this game is not having ability to jump when you wish but,when it says "you can jump on this box". The game crashed 1 time, so that's not so bad. Thief is like Dishonored (Yes i know thief games were before dishonored) but with more open world and more stealth.
  44. Mar 30, 2014
    THE GOOD: .......
    Graphics and detail are top notch. The fog and lighting provides excellent atmosphere with light shafts galore. Body awareness: You can see garret's hand open doors, you can view his feet walking along and even see his shadow, something found on very few first person games. You can lean over edges to look down without falling and automatically jump when running. Fighting
    guards takes careful dodge and attack timing but you are a thief, not a fighter which makes this a good feature overall in that you can fight some in the face of death but not well. Lots of variety in loot to steal from rings, pendants and frames to gold spoons and plaques. Running is exhilarating and fun. The weather is a nice touch, from lighting storms to falling rain with the latter being very well done however only done during a particular part of the game.
    -------
    THE BAD:.......
    Guards talk to themselves repeating odd things over and over like "Hope I sleep tonight". Now multiply hearing that by 200 and you'll want to murder them all. Sound location issues were never fixed thanks to Square laying the team off. The city is laid out specifically for the player which means it bares no reality, in other words the city was not built in a realistic fashion to support a community, it's only there for the players sake alone. Dead end streets, boxes hiding pathways...etc. Structurally, the city makes no sense. It's convoluted. Breaking into apartments often yields you with 1 or 2 small rooms and no way to explore other rooms behind the fake doors, also most all apartments are devoid of life, not even a sleeping dweller. So there is no reason to sneak around when doing most side missions.-------THE UGLY:......Guards and NPC's just pace systematically like robots. The town still feels devoid of life, you could pretend it's because of the plague but even still it's very limited. It's like the entire game is a setup on stage for you to make your way through with little deviation and logic. The story...it's terribad. You won't care about it nor any of the characters as they don't have much personality what little you hear from them. Basically you're out to find the truth of what happened to Erin who happens to have fallen to the demise of her own arrogance and stupidity with no reason as to why Garret nor the player should care. ----------VALUE: $10 unless you really enjoy stealth games then $30 is a steal, don't pay much more for it than that....however, the game will provide at least 10 hours of decent enjoyment until you get tired of it unless you enjoy stealth enough to beat the game despite the flaws.------Hope you enjoy my good,bad,ugly reviews.
  45. Mar 7, 2014
    Where can i start, the graphics for a console are amazing the fog, smoke, fire, rain, mud, and lighting effects are awe-inspiring and are expertly done. the controls are extremely intuitive and responsive. you have a range of abilities/perks and combat actions. a range of books/papers to find and read through, collectibles to umm...collect. plenty of side quests alongside the obvious main campaign. The cutscenes are wonderfully crafted and really inspire you to go about in the game and look through every nook and cranny. The game is set in a sort ye olde mid 1800's desolate setting of london, with disease and rats, and a powerful, vile baron ruling over the "lower" people. The game is just so much fun and dynamic, but however is does feel now and then to be a little constrictive in it's level design, with a confusing map and frequent but quick loading times. I do find it quite annoying that you can't actually hide enemies in lockers that you yourself can hide in. arrows don't do a great deal, you have these blunt arrows and all they do it turn off switches which you find very few situations that you have to do that. i would want where the water arrow blinds/disorientates your enemies etc. The atmosphere is creates is astounding, and the world it wraps you is undeniable. I've had a fantastic time with game, a stunning piece of dynamic artwork. people nowadays hate change, but if certain forms of media like games and music stayed the same and went stagnant, people will still complain and say its just another rehash or a copy and paste job. I still think this game is amazing and for me personally well worth the lolly spent on it. Expand
  46. Feb 28, 2014
    The number of reviewers paid off by Square Enix for this game are astounding. Square Enix buys non-native English speakers by the bulk on black hat forums. Each day a representative from a shell company from a major corporation goes to a forum and requests, say 100 reviews, from various individuals who can mask different addresses. They're paid roughly a dollar a review and if it dupes just one consumer's mind in thinking they want the product, they have done their jobs.

Do not let that happen.

Sure a few of these reviews have been conducted by old time fans' of the series. That is clearly evident by some of the rambling diatribe and the counteracting subjective scores. But look closely at the accounts that are created for the sole purpose of defending an anti-smear campaign by the public.

Prepositions are non-existent (foreigners of a native language often forget the connecting words when translating. They touch base on only a few features of the game and admit to one or two weaknesses to get you to think they are "just like you".

Frankly I'm appalled that this is going on, on every major website that 18-34's frequent. If it wasn't so obvious, I would have left it alone. Do other companies do this? Sure, but not to this extent. The collaborative effort on this must have cost 1/3 of their total game budget. If they spent half the time they do now employing people to write ghost reviews then they could have fixed various bugs, glitches and linearity in the game itself.

And that leaves me with the actual review. It's not a bad game. It's not a good game. It simply exists. If they make bank on it, it's because it came out when there was a shallow market and a demand for anything on next gen systems. Its spiritual predecessor, Dishonored, did everything fundamentally better without sacrificing. If the gameplay is good, I can overlook the story. If the story is good, I can overlook the gameplay. But by no means can you make me go from Point A to Point B, give me nothing to do along the way but steal some petty coins that are useless in a boring merchant system, and force a story that is shallow, pedantic and frankly -- very cliche. The guards conversations are repeated many a time to force dialogue in a lifeless atmosphere. The sound is absolutely horrid for a stealth game. As many other reviews have noted, someone who is two buildings away sounds like they are right next to you. It really ruins the experience.

Albeit it being a monotonous money grab, I've played worse. And by worse, I mean Rambo.
  47. Mar 1, 2014
    I have to say there seems to be a lot of unfair comments about this game. I have being playing it all day and so far I have really enjoyed it. I was a massive fan of thief way back on P.C. But this version so far is O.K.

Non of this is game changing but Im glad I bought it and it does remind me of the older games. The only thing I have noticed its more claustrophobic and you have less
    space to try and skulk in the shadows. Expand
  48. Mar 1, 2014
    I'll start off with The Thief Series is Dead, Eidos Killed it. They have a saying if it's not broken don't fix it. Oh boy did they try fix something that didn't need fixing. -Great Level Design Gone! -Great Ai Challenge Gone! -Great Story Gone! -Hammers, Keepers etc Gone! -Great GamePlay Gone! -Great Voice Actor (real garret gone!) -Great Atmosphere Gone! -Freedom gone! It also borrows elements from Assassins Creed. They might get sued by UBISoft who knows.
    The game is just not challenging, it's moves too quickly, too linear, feels generic, nothing memorable about it. This game is total disgrace to be even part of series, it like Call of Duty mixed with very dumbed down version Thief with it's core mangled. They should of called this something else, like Chief or something and called Garret... Thorn or something or something. Mixing Garret and the real Thief Series in this is game is a total disgrace. This goes to show the how bad video games are becoming, being dumbed down every single year.

This is not Thief! it's total junk.
  49. Mar 6, 2014
    It really is sad, you can tell they didn't intend to make a good game, they just wanted money, with all the advertisements in ign and other networks i was hoping a good game, but what did i found?, bad mechanics (fighting mechanics are a joke), decent graphics, but totally, not next gen ones, a world that seems to be an open one, but in fact is formed by a lot of small maps and lots of loading screens, repetitive game play, weird story, terrible soundtrack. I didn't like it all all. It was just a huge waste of money, I just finished the game waiting for something different to happen, and to not feel that i lose my money, but at the end nothing happened and i feel like i did lose it.
    Despite the story was weird, i will give some credit to it, it was, i would say, good, but i brought a game not a book.
  50. Mar 1, 2014
    This game is pretty broken, enemies can be a floor above or below you or a hundred meters away through a wall and they sound like they are directly beside you.
    The L2 button is so annoying to pull off, it doesn't always work and if you have water way below you, you will quickly find out what I am saying.
    The first clip was so out of sync lips and stuttering it was horrible.
    A mediocre
    game about an attempted thief who turns out to be a klepto with super sonic hearing crossed with paranoia. Expand
  51. Mar 1, 2014
    So let me start out by saying that this reboot of a classic pc rpg/stealth game is not quit what I expected it to be.first let me say that Thief is by no mean a perfect 10 game but it is not a horrible game either, in my opinion thief is about average, since this game has a ton of bugs and awful frame rate issues and a few other problems that I hope can be resolved by patches.the story is alright,however Garret is supposed to be the ultimate thief but by the way Eidos made Garret feel is more like a petty thief who will steal just about anything for example you steal knifes,cups,wall planks,ect which seems very small time to me,but you do get to steal allot of jewels as well and explore allot of cool areas.I think once all the bugs get fixed thief could be a decent tittle,but as of right now I don't see thief as a must buy. Expand
  52. Feb 27, 2014
    Just amazing, if you are a true fan of stealth games this game is a must. The story is weak, some bugs but overall its an fantastic game. Going around stealing stuff is so addictive, cant stop playing!!
  53. Mar 3, 2014
    Do not waste money on this. Especially not if you are looking for next gen worthy game. No need to call people who don't like it morons. There are those of us who played Thief since it's inception in the late 90's and this is not even the genetically mutated offspring of that franchise.

Edios have taken Hitman, Square Enix have take deus ex's skins they have put them together into a
    COD style linear level format, with a fairly bland story.

The levels look very nice, but the lighting is incredibly frustrating where is the light the light? It seems that shards of light at not shards of light they are darkness.

But anyway, if you have a PC get it nefariously and judge for yourself first before dropping money on this bland dross.
  54. Feb 28, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is really good,on moments and bad. The good things are the graphics,animations,levels,the effects,the many things that can loot,and the combination of every single Thief game into this one. The bad things are the story(it is not so interesting),there are some bugs(1 major in the sound,some bugs in the A.I.). Overall it is really good. I like and the soundtrack - it is awesome(on some moments the tracks can be used for the next Amnesia game,more of those tracks can be heard on the Chapter 5: The Forsaken, where you need to search for documents in haunted asylum,which looks like the one from Outlast). Still,this game is really good,and after some patching it will be even better. I recommend it to most of the Stealth fans. Still,if you are hardcore Thief fan, you will not think so positive about this game. Expand
  55. Feb 27, 2014
    This game is great, It is fun to play most of the time and the setting is just beautiful . Graphics are not mind blowing but they are great , The Story suites the setting and the contrast of the gameplay and story matches. The detail is well done in the environment , However to me I just couldn't be overwhelmed by the dialogue . But rest the game is great ! Recommend o any fan of stealth based games ! Expand
  56. Feb 25, 2014
    Possibly the PC version of the game is more refined, with smoother frame rate, but the PS4 port is just sad at times. The game's sluggish drops would be acceptable if the game was visually more impressive, or the animations were less rigid. But they aren't, the games animations are on par with the AC serious, and the visuals vary from mildly impressive to last gen shooter tier.
    As for the
    elements of the game that are more universal(PC, XOne, and PS4), the writing is much like the visual presentation, tight in some places and sloppy in others. It's one of those games that shows how video game writers often aren't the best when it comes to dialogue between characters. The story is interesting on paper, but the elements of the world feel like they are somewhat archaic throwbacks to more traditional video game character throw backs.
    I don't enjoy making the AC comparison so often, as someone may misconstrue it as "throwing all stealth games together", but the game brings me back to AC in many ways. The disjointed way you start and end missions, the very overt personality to the side characters and how you meet them, and as I said earlier the animations are about on the same level. Now obviously I would the similarities as games end there, as everything else would just lumping similar concepts not gameplay. In gameplay, it is more akin to the developer's previous game Deus Ex HR, but with a heavier emphasis on stealth.
    I'd say that if you're an average consumer who isn't too interested in the Thief games, or stealth games as a whole, I'd stay away from it. But if you enjoy the series and want to see how the properties is handled in modern times, I'd say go for it. But the PC or X-Box One versions may be the better route, as the PS4 version has too many technical bugs to be excused. Which is embarrassing considering how other games like Killzone have had no big issues with steady Frame-rate or 1080p.
  57. Feb 27, 2014
    Been playing Thief for a few hours and I'm enjoying it. I can't help but feel alot of the reviewers were a little harsh on the game.

The story element is weak and the way it tells it is such a bore. It's so boring I've stopped following it altogether. The voice acting is also uninspired and doesn't really fit the characters that well, which is a bit of a bummer because it does kind of
    take away from the immersion a bit. Another issue with Thief (and this can be patched) is audio going out of sync at times and cutscenes being choppy.

The graphics are fairly good on PS4, not mindblowing like Killzone Shadowfall but they're still good enough for next-gen. Textures aren't blurry messes like on last-gen systems. The lighting in the game is fairly well done though for obvious reasons.

The controls and movement are a little awkward. One gripe I have is running along rooftops. Garrett sucks at jumping so If you get to a gap you have to clear, you think you'll be able to make it but you end up falling to your death. Other times it's the opposite - you'll think you can't make it but you actually can. It's even worse when you have to drop down though. When you go to drop down from a ledge, half the time the game will not let you do it automatically, which gives you the impression that maybe you're not supposed to do it. Well it turns out you CAN do it and the controls were just trying to mislead and trick you the whole time. That gets annoying super quick.

The combat is pretty crappy, but then again it's a stealth game so the aim is to AVOID combat. The game is called "Thief" after all. Anyone who routinely engages in combat and complains about how bad it is shouldn't be playing Thief. The enemy AI is okay for the most part but they have their moments. I've managed to escape from 2 guys just by moving literally one step to the right and obscure their line of sight.

The gameplay is where Thief redeems itself, and sadly that's probably due to sheer luck. It's fun as anything to skulk around and look stuff. I haven't enjoyed a stealth game in years. Come to think of it, I haven't played a stealth game in years either because there hasn't really been any since Splinter Cell: Double Agent (no, Conviction and Blacklist don't count).

Overall, Eidos/Square did a solid job of rebooting Thief. If you're expecting mindblowing Frostbite 3 graphics and an engrossing story with heaps of lore and all that, look elsewhere. If you think this game is like Assassin's Creed (it really isn't), look elsewhere. If you want a fun game that revisits the good old stealth genre, this is for you. 7/10.
  58. Feb 28, 2014
    I don't play old thief, but new thief make me happy, i like stealth and this game not bad! I was play 11 our and i want play again and again! This game have good engine, good graphic and interesting story!
  59. Mar 2, 2014
    I have spent countless days playing the original thief games and am an old school diehard fan of the franchise. To say I was excited about this game is an understatement...until the reviews started hitting the web the day before my pre order was ready to pick up. It looked like the negatives outweighed the positives. But regardless, release day came and I trucked my happy butt to GameStop and picked up my copy with mixed feelings. I got home, dimmed the lights and immersed myself with an open mind. Now, 12 hours in I can safely say this game is intoxicating. The mood, the sounds, the gameplay take me back to the dark project days, with some really cool new features. I'm not saying it's perfect, but good god is it ever fun sneaking around the streets of "The City". This game actually far exceeded my expectations. FUN, MOODY and just flat out AWESOME. If you liked the original games, or a newbie to the series but a fan of stealth games, you owe it to yourself to pick up a copy of Thief. Now, I'm heading back to the shadows... Expand
  60. Mar 2, 2014
    I spend more money on games than I'd like to admit. Given the amount of games I play, it's natural that all of them are not pure awesome and I accept that. However with Thief I feel that I've been brutally cheated. I begin my review from the assumption that it's a 10/10 game (what I expected).

-1 point : Contextual jumping & climbing. Seriously? Really frustrating.
    -1 point :
    Contextual sound? Sounds coming through walls ridiculously loud only after it's triggered by looking into a room. Also lip sync is way off.
    -1 point : Loading all the frigging time. Each area is a small box with a couple of side alleys. Horrible map design.
    -1 point : A stealth game with missions which have Pipe A and Pipe B (or just Pipe A)? Absolutely no room for creative solutions.
    -1 point : Only a few doors/windows can be operated. It's silly that most of the doors are impenetrable by the best thief in town. There's nothing to really discover.
    -1 point : Just for the missed potential and overall feeling of a hastily finished product.

This leaves us at a disappointing 4/10 game. It has nice graphics and the controls work for me (except for the contextual movement). Also some of the stealthy bits are fun. I was expecting much more. As a stealth game this is far too simple for my taste. I will not be buying the possible sequel if this is the route they are taking Thief to. I feel cheated.
  61. Mar 4, 2014
    This game is perfect if you enjoyed the old Thief games. Roam the city as you please between missions and to get to mission objectives. Everything seems, not seamless, but seam-minimalistic. The combat is fun and visceral when you get the hang of it, and there's lots of room for exploration and side-quests. The art style and design of Garret is quite different from the old games, and I like the old style better, but the mechanics, story and gameplay really make this game nostalgic to Original Thief fans. Expand
  62. Mar 5, 2014
    This game itself is not a bad game but at the same time it isn't a superb game. It is a decent game, well developed, storyline is predictable, progressions is 100% linear and the game experience isn't thought-provoking. The entertainment value from start to finish is mediocre. It covers nothing original in terms of gameplay and it barely does in the areas where it can be proud of.
  63. Mar 9, 2014
    The only explanation I could come up for those negative reviews is the fact that people compare it to the other games in the series. The Thief series was a ground-breaking set of games that defined the stealth games in general. I can only imagine that if you expect it to be a defining and ground-breaking again (just like it was before) you are going to be disappointed.

If you look at it
    as a new game, and don't compare it to the old ones, I think the opinion would change. I find it to be a damn good game. The story is ok, not good, but ok. The graphics are good, they really make you feel like you're a part of that world. And the gameplay is incredibly intriguing. You can finish missions in multiple ways and actually have fun with all the features they put at your disposal.

Overall, not the best game, but definitely not a bad one if you ask me.
  64. Jul 16, 2014
    Thief absolutely is a stinker.

Rails gameplay, SMALL MAPS, last gen graphics.

DO NOT RECOMMEND. BUY DISHONORED FOR LAST GEN, MUCH MUCH MUCH BETTER GAME
  65. Mar 1, 2014
    I played all the Thief games and this this game is good but mostly a disappointment. It's not a 10/10 rating game or anything less than a 5, but it's an above average game when it comes to the Thief legacy. It's very difficult to not compare it to its heir apparent Dishonored as that game was everything Thief should have been. Dishonored is a classic in not only gameplay but storytelling as well.

This Thief game has its moments and it never gets old creeping around and stealing stuff and collecting artifacts which is the primary reason I have scrored it a seven. The flaws that keep it from getting an 8, 9 or 10 rating are the following:

- Very hallow generic game, not much life in it and the storyline doesn't help either.
    - Loot is constantly everywhere which can be a bad thing since your constantly hitting square collecting things. Not sure why we need to see an animation of him swiping stuff.
    - Garrett talks too much. Serioulsy though the acting could be a bit better and the animations sometimes come off as cheezy or last generation quality. Overall I'm not sure I like the Joaquin Phoenix look of Garrett or his sidekicks.

Anyway the game is fun but not worth the money. It definitely has value in the $20-$30 range but as is I can't recommend this especially for die hard Thief fans because it's pretty different from the older games.

Nice try but hopefully Square Enix and Eidos Montreal have better luck on a sequel.
  66. Mar 4, 2014
    let me start by saying the people on this site reviewing thief and giving it a bad score/review because its not the same as earlier thief games from 10 years ago are totally missing the point. you should be reviewing this game and this game only!
    its like saying the new tomb raider is a terrible game because its not like the old ones, its idiotic.
    while this game is far from perfect it
    has enough great elements to counter its flaws. its pretty simple actually.
    if you like stealth, exploration and loot then this is the game for you and you will be smiling as the game continues to open up and expand beyond your comprehension. on the other hand if you want a hand holding, shoot and kill everything corridor shooter, move on as there is nothing for you here!
    while at times certain controls and the city map can be the weaker points of the game i found myself playing without problems once i'd played for a few hours with the controls and through my playthrough, i only had very minimal use of the map as part of the fun was exploring and getting a feel for the city's layout.
    the best way to play this game (in my opinion) is to take your time, explore, enjoy your surroundings and mix up the play between chapters and side missions. i found that when given the choice, activating all side missions from certain characters at once and tracking the nearest mission, completing it and moving on to the next to be the most enjoyable and efficient way to proceed.
    the actual chapters (main story progression) are fantastically large and the diverse environments on offer are an intelligent change up from the main map. the asylum, brothel and bank being among my favorites.
    you want to explore everywhere and the game has a happy knack of making you feel like a king when you discover a hidden area or switch or you finally work out how to get to that door or open window.
    the melee combat does feel a little messy and is best avoided (especially if your outnumbered). That said the game does a great job of putting multiple weapons and tools in the players hands to tackle combat if you dont want to totally play stealth. the weapons feel great and the kills and knockouts can feel extremely satisfying and sneaky.
    as i said , if your willing to take your time, explore, experiment and use your brain then this is the first hidden gem of 2014. there is so much content that is so consistently rewarding that the games rough edges and few shortcomings are soon forgotten and the smile thats been on my face for the best part of 30-40 hours tells the story!!
  67. Mar 2, 2014
    I thoroughly enjoyed Thief. For starters, it looks gorgeous. There was minimal frame rate and pop in issues, but other than that it is a stunning game. Movement through The City (That's the city's actual name) feels fluid and responsive. The City is full of optional things to do and see, which quite surprised me. Don't get me wrong, it was a pleasant surprise but it could have been introduced better. This game was obviously built with last gen systems in mind which would be fine if the PS4 and Xbox One didn't have the same loading blocks the PS3 and 360 are plagued with. Another issue I have is a lack of support for someone who likes combat. You can do standard sneak takedowns, but once you're spotted it's a matter of mashing one button and dodging. Even then, you are quick to die and it's clear as day this is a game you are meant to play stealthily. All i'm saying is a few extra animations or an option to boost your combat skills like you can Stealth or Agility would help. The game desperately tries to stay true to the original games, but in the age of games like Dishonored and Assassin's Creed that do what this game does and miles better, I would only recommend it if you want a pure stealth game. I say it's a love it or hate it situation. Give it a try, but don't expect to be blown away by anything. Expand
  68. Feb 28, 2014
    Thief is a fun game. There are issues with the game. Annoying load times story sucks. But if your playing a stealth game for the story then maybe you should play another genre. No jumping does suck. But the game is still fun and isn't that all that matters
  69. Jun 26, 2014
    Story:
    You play as Garrett, the Master Thief. You were on a mission with your apprentice Erin when You stumble on to a ritual and instead of quitting the mission, Erin tries to finish it despite your fears. Fast forward a year later, and "The City" is suffering from "The Gloom", and it's up to you to find out what's going on. I'd like to start out by saying that this game has a lot of
    similarities to "Dishonored" when it comes to its story. Both games feature dark fantasy cities (with Thief being more darker), both feature plaques, and both contain supernatural elements in their stories. While I'll say that the plot here is less cliched than in Dishonored, the execution here is worse. The story here revolves around what happened in the prologue mission with Garrett seeing visions of what happened and there's a lot of backstory to what the ritual was about. I also liked the supernatural aspects of the story with Garrett communicating with ghosts. The problem is that the story felt uninteresting in context. The game does a poor job of telling the story that I was bored of it until about 75% of the game was completed. It's only at the end of mission 6 that I became sort of interested in the plot. I also didn't like the ending as it seemed like Garrett didn't even learn anything important from the events of the game. Speaking of Garrett, his character is flat, boring, and poorly voiced. The only positive I can say about him is that at least he isn't as bad as Aiden Pierce from "Watch Dogs". Just like in Watch Dogs, the side characters are WAY more interesting and a few of them have some entertaing lines. But that doesn't change the fact that I was bored throughout most of this poorly executed story. 4/10

Gameplay:
    The gameplay is mixed for as I liked some aspects of it, but HATED others. I will say that the biggest highlight of the game for me was the thieving aspect. I loved breaking into peoples house through a variety of ways like through the front and back doors, roof, windows, or vent. I also liked the lockpicking and pickpocketing mechanics as they weren't very hard to pull off. I even liked stealing all the collectables, jewelry, and other valuable items from peoples houses. There's also a cool albeit familiar mechanic called focus that highlights enemies, civilians, items of interest or value, entrances like doors or vents, and other items except the items won't stay highlighted forever unlike in Ubisoft games. Also unlike Ubisoft games, focus doesn't last forever as it runs on its own life bar. The sneaking was also pretty cool as you literally use the shadows to your advantage via hiding in them and putting out light sources like candles or fire. You also have a bow that can use a variety of arrows including normal, water, fire, choke, and blast. The game also has some nice RPG elements mixed in as you can upgrade your items, Garrett's abilities, and carrying capacities, and unlike in Dishonored, there's a new game plus option. Well, it's not exactly new game plus but you can replay main and side missions with all your upgrades intact. My biggest problem with the game is its combat system. When spotted, you can run away or stay and fight, but you're better off running away as your only weapon is your "blackjack" which is essentially a club, and this weapon is AWFUL at putting out enemies. it takes about 6 or 7 hits just to take out 1, so good luck taking out 3 or 4. To save time, you might as well restart from checkpoint. The level design on some of these missions also suck as you're usually escorted down a linear path rather than having the freedom to move around and experiment. As for missions, there are 8 of them (with one of them having a cool horror atmosphere to it), and only 1 of them had an interesting location to it which was a brothel, but even there you couldn't really explore much due to lots of lights and guards in the area. I will say that the 2 boss fights that are near the end do take advantage of shadows quite nicely. It's unfortunate that the gameplay here isn't that good as I can see the potential with the stealth aspects. 5/10

Graphics:
    Even though this isn't PC, the graphics still look nice on the PS4. The lighting effects are the visuals greatest strength along with the city design, and the textures, backgrounds, and facial models look nice even though the lip-syncing on the faces is bad. 8/10

Sound:
    Another strength of this game is the sound with a horror-esq soundtrack that fits the game's mood and tone of dark and gritty. I also loved the ambient sounds of citizens and guards communicating even if they tend to repeat on multiple restarts. The sound effects are also perfectly made with great bass effects when wearing the Gold Headset. At least the game nails it when it comes to sound design. 9/10

Verdict:
    As someone who hasn't played the original Thief games, This isn't a good start for me. Bad story and mixed gameplay is what ruins it for me. Just rent it.

Rating: 5/10
  70. Mar 12, 2014
    Thief is slow, repetitive and boring. The graphics are good but the gameplay sucks. Overall the voice acting is bad too. Don't buy it and save your money for Titanfall.
  71. Feb 28, 2014
    Thief is a game that succeeds on many levels, but falls short of greatness due to some questionable writing choices, and sometimes stiff mechanics.

It's obviously been a long time since the last Thief game, 10 years to be precise, but the formula is alive and well in more ways than one. Eidos Montreal have given as a fresh and interesting stealth game that can be brutally challenging at
    times.

And I think that's where I should start. A lot of people seem unsatisfied with the games difficulty and/or AI, and this kind of bothers me. After playing and finishing the game over some 15 hours, I can say that the difficulty was one of the most rewarding parts about the game.
    When you start a new game, you are given a custom difficulty option. This is the way to play the game. Base difficulty on Master, No Focus, No HUD, No Loot Highlighting, No Takedowns or Knockouts… This is what made those 15+ hours of play so rewarding. It was a true, tailored to me, stealth experience.
    Reading both critic and user reviews, it is so clear that people played on the preset difficulties, and didn't bother tampering with theses options.

Obviously difficulty is not something that makes the game worthy of a perfect 10, but it is definitely a redeeming quality.

The gameplay, while at times fluid and streamlined, can sometimes become clunky and difficult to get along with. In one instance I would be slinking through the shadows evading all those around me, grab myself some coin out of a guards pocket, before using the awesome swoop mechanic to… well, "swoop" back in to the shadows. And those moments feel so, so cool.
    However, moments later, I am accidentally leaping off a ledge that's slightly too high and killing myself, due to an overly sensitive jump/climb/run button on L2. The fact that the button does all of those things is not the direct problem, it's just that all I would have to do is skim it with my finger and I would be falling down onto a guard that I was prying on from above.
    As I wanted to go through without a single kill/knockout, and wanted Zero Alerts on missions, this would result in a direct reload of previous checkpoints, and with some of the questionable load times in the game, this became quite arduous.

Visually the game is pretty gorgeous. There is never much colour on display, save for one of my favourite missions in which you mush navigate a brothel, filled with shades of red and gold. However this is a game that is perfectly in touch with its own time period. Though this is fantasy, and no precise date is given, the architecture and setting fit the mood perfectly.

I've left the story for last as one would think it would be the least important part of a game that wants you to steal everything you see. Eidos put a little too much faith in it, and the laughable writing makes the characters even less likeable. If nothing else, the fact that such a story was implemented, it led to some amazing scenarios and levels, one of which was a haunted asylum, that sent chills up my spine at every turn, and was a very unexpected treat.

Overall, Thief is worth playing. March 2014 will be busy for both new consoles, and if you're on PS4 like me, you're most likely excited for inFamous: Second Sun. If you're looking for something to pass the month, Thief will be a worthy endeavour, if only for the Trophies.

A 7 out of 10.

Jack Valentine
  72. Mar 10, 2014
    now i going to be straight and simple pros:optimized graphics!,ending,music,sounds,gameplay,garett cons:graphics engine old,story is weak all about ERIN,where is the story related thieving?,monsters? really? it was irritating pile of ****. old-gen version have too much downgrade! there is much unreal engine 3 games out there have better grapchics on xbox360 and ps3 than thief (old-gen version) Expand
  73. Feb 27, 2014
    Janky controls ruin what might be an otherwise good game. They chose a weird setup for the way controls work, specifically flaunting traditional FPS standards. Additionally the controls are slow and clunky to react with. Finally, and worst of all, the game restarts you from terrible points any time you fail at a task with very long load times by modern video game standards. A very bad showing on this effort. Expand
  74. Mar 9, 2014
    It's interesting to see the divide of opinions on this game. Some people absolutely love it while others find it abysmal.
    First a little about myself. I'm an experienced (read old) gamer. I enjoy stealth games and stealth classes a lot. My favorites games in this aspect would include everything from Skyrim and WoW (stealth classes obviously) to Batman and Metal Gear. I don't care if I
    move at half speed of everyone else as long as I can sneak through a level undetected. I am also an avid level reseter. If I get detected, I will restart the level rather than fight my way out.
    Taken all this into account, Thief sounded right up my alley, I watched preview video and read a lot about the beloved series that I hadn't yet tried. It seemed like Thief would have controls similar to Skyrim's thief and would add open vertical exploration and parkour like Assassin's Creed. It sounded perfect to me but what I was given was far from perfect. The sum of the parts underwhelmed me and I have stopped playing after eight hours.

Pros:
    +Game controls are well done. Almost everything from the game's dash mechanism, called swoop, to jumping between buildings felt effortless. When you're supposed to be a "master" of any sort, controls are what deliver the feeling. The one detraction was dropping down from a ledge.
    +The hiding in shadows mechanic is well done and the PS4 controller's light bar brightens to help warn you when you're in bright light.
    +Lock-picking and switch games are fun if you have to pick them before you get caught. They add tension in those situations, but when you have no chance of getting caught they just slow up game play. It reminded me of rolling an automatic 20 outside of combat.
    +As you pass by windows you hear ambient conversations from inside the homes which adds flavor to the period element of the game.

Cons
    - Protagonist is petulant and unlikeable. Brooding main characters appeal to a niche group. They're probably very hard to write for and fabricate a reason for them to care about the bigger picture.
    -The lack of color is too extreme. Design went too far in setting the dark and dingy tone.
    -Swiping from drawers is senseless and gets old quickly. I swipe scissors, flasks, ashtrays, etc, of differing metal qualities and my bag instantly converts them to gold. This is probably the most consistent income source so I felt compelled to open all the drawers Oddly they never contain more than one item.
    -Each level/mission I encountered had two paths at most. I didn't feel like I could vary more than a few steps in any given direction. I had no desire or ability to fully explore my surroundings.
    -I broke into homes and the private residents had "paths". I understand making a guard path. It's like they're patrolling. When I break into someone's home and he makes the same twenty second loop from the fireplace to his wife in bed, it was very weird. It was such a short loop as well that it made that mission more tedious than exhilarating.
    -The highly detailed environments felt oddly empty. There was so much to see yet so little to interact with. The world felt plastic and nailed down.

With opinions swaying so widely, I would advise newcomers and veterans alike to rent before buying. Maybe wait for a sale, or buy it used. My local Best Buy will have a new pre-played copy after today.
  75. Mar 15, 2014
    The stealth in the game is good but the game suffers from a poorly exectuted plot, uninteresting characters too much load screens, gimmicky touchpad controls and some framerate issues.
  76. Feb 28, 2014
    I've played through the entire Thief series. While I have been excited for a continuation of the series, I did not want to build up my expectations for this new installment. So far, I'm pretty early into the game but I have some observations that are both positive and negative about the experience.

First, as a game of this type, I have been enjoying it. I find myself wanting to
    continue playing it even when I know I need to stop to take care of other responsibilities. So it is entertaining and somewhat engaging. However, being someone who has played through the series, I feel like the game is not delivering in terms of the Thief universe. That is because it isn't. Which leaves me why it was decided that game uses the Thief name at all since it shares little context with its predecessors.

Removing crucial elements such as the factions that are in the old series (Hammerites, Keepers, Pagans, etc.) is comparable to making a Star Wars movie with Luke Skywalker as the main character, but in a universe where there is no Empire or Jedi. The elements that were removed were the key elements that defined not only the games' environment but Garret as well.

A new character should have been established if approaching the series with this new take. It would have been better if the game were set in a much later time, long after after Garret and the various factions involvment. Otherwise, the various references and nods to the old series including the use of the same character is a slap in the face to those who knew and loved the original series. To me the game should have been addressed in this way, or better yet, should have not gone with using the name Thief. So, for me, Thief is a thief game, but not a Thief game.

It is entertaining as I am having fun playing it. So I feel I am getting my money's worth so far in that area. However, it does an injustice to its namesake making wish I had waited for it to come down a little on price.

Again, I am still playing through the game. I would give it about an 8-8.5 personally in terms of entertainment value. However, for not staying true to the Thief universe, effectively destroying what has previously been established, I have to be petty and deduct a point or 2 for this disservice. My rating is subject to change, but for now I'll average it out and give it 7.
  77. Apr 7, 2014
    I bought Thief for £24.99 in a half price PSN sale. For that price I felt I had paid a fair amount for an average game. Thief isn’t a bad game by a long shot, but it also isn’t great. The ten hours or so it takes to complete held my interest and at times I had a lot of fun. But ultimately the game is let down by average graphics, a poor attempt at open world, bad AI and annoying loading screens.

The game plays like Dishonoured (but not as good) for those of you nippers to young to remember the early Thief games on PC. Now I like the early games and a lot of the things I loved have been transferred to this game. The light and Dark meter, water arrows and the gothic medieval setting. Thief is at its best when creeping through the dark, blowing out candles, dashing up behind guards and rummaging through draws and lock boxes to find stealables! It is at its worst in-between missions having to go through the same areas of the quasi-open world waiting for loading screens to disappear. Now if the game looked stunning and the world was traversable like in say Assassins creed allowing you to approach a mission however you want, I would forgive the load screens. But on the PS4 this is not acceptable, the graphics are okay, nice at times but never next gen.

The controls work, the touchpad stuff can be frustrating but all in all they don’t brake the game. But I do feel there is such a missed opportunity by making each route so linear. The story is interesting enough to keep you playing but isn’t memorable. The missions require you to steal a specific object which I enjoyed, they should have just scrapped the bits in-between missions and had a straight forward level after level mechanic rather than tie it together with the open world which doesn’t work. It would have helped the game flow better.

I did enjoy Thief though. I like the medieval setting and the stealth mechanics. The actual mission levels are well designed and interesting. But nostalgia played a part in the fun I had as I enjoyed the early games. I would recommend if you can pick up for cheap, as there isn’t much on the PS4 at the moment and this is a neat little filler game. But if you pay full price you will likely feel disappointed.

In no way better than Dishonoured, but similar and worthy of a play though if picked up for the right price.
  78. Mar 4, 2014
    A game that had great ideas but all of them were poorly executed. Overall a playable game, but very broken in many of the mechanics it tried to adopt from other games.
  79. Mar 2, 2014
    This game has great potential, the game play is interesting and the graphics are awesome. Why the poor review then? First, the bugs, the cut scenes are filled with them. The main character get put in front of everything, there are frequent frame rate drops and the voices are completely out of sync in some of them. Secondly, the game does not let you go where ever you want. You can only climb or go down where the developers wanted you to do so. Sadly, I cannot give a high review to this game in it's current state. Maybe once the game has seriously been patched then I'll re-check it. Expand
  80. Mar 4, 2014
    It's a good game. Stealth is great. Game play great. Bad the freaks they are bad. Bad ai and are just annoying. Main story 8-10 hours which is good rest around 20-25. Really it's a 7.5 it's great.
  81. Mar 5, 2014
    This game is really bored ! You are stuck in small part of the city (really small) This is not an open world you are locked! The IA is really stupid and the hero is like a pig really slow and he don't know fight the infiltration is bored too you are obliged to wait three minutes for a guard moves 3MINS EVERY TIMES!
    Copy/paste of dishonored with new disease, If you have Dishonored don't
    buy this game!

French
    Ce jeu est ennuyant à tout points! vous êtes bloqué dans une petite partie de la ville et je précise ce n'est pas un monde ouvert! L 'IA est complétement stupide le héro est comme un porc lent et il ne sait pas ce battre. Si vous avez Dishonored n'aheter pas ce jeu sa n'en vaut pas la peine. Copier/colé de Dishonored avec une nouvelle maladie, Si vous avez dishonored n'acheter pas ce jeu!
  82. Mar 5, 2014
    Good controls and solid visuals can not save this game from being painfully mediocre. If you enjoy running around and tapping one button to pick things up, then this is the game for you. You will not be able to wait until you can put the controller down to play something else.
  83. Mar 7, 2014
    Ok i never played the originals, but i am a major fan of good stealth based action games, this however is not one. The characters are extremely annoying, not least Garrett, whose continual interjections make playing the game almost embarrassing. The game play is again a real issue for me as it often feels clumsy and rigid, with the player operating under the pretence of an open world setting. In reality however there is very much a set path throughout the game usually marked out by inexplicable white paint. The story is also very poor, expect no polt twists at all and for the most part no plot. Finally the graphics are quite good especially on the characters, but I did play on Ps4 so this is to be expected.
    Over all a very poor game not nearly worh the 50 pounds i paid. Disappointing Eidos!
  84. Mar 7, 2014
    People who slam this game for having bad AI, weird movement, ridonculous story and monotonous graphics are praising the old "Thief" games and claiming a pillaging of the series? That's rich. You guys have obviously played some different kind of "Thief"-series than I have and I played the bajeezus out of them.

Have you forgotten? Standing in front of crates making weird squatlike
    movements and cursing, while you try to jump on top of it? Have you forgotten trying to navigate a narrow pathway over a gap and how you thanked the Lord for the quicksave function? Guards who would ignore open doors and stare at walls for days? The repetitive textures? The twitchy combat? And the story? Have you forgotten all the unexpected "twists"? Oh no, the good guy was the bad guy all along, how could I have trusted him? C'mon now. Those games were flawed, in some ways even flatout bad. And they were fun as hell.

Because there will never be a perfect game. It's not about that. It's about the fun you have while playing them. So, is the new "Thief" even remotly close to perfect? Hell, noes. Is it fun? Well, that depends. In the opinion of this veteran master thief-ninja: yes, it is, though you have to allow yourself to enjoy it.

For once, I personally like the atmosphere it creates. There is a plague on the streets, so the streets are empty and so are the homes. People are dying left, right and center to a "mysterious" sickness and nobody really gives a poop. Dead bodies on meathooks in an old fabric? Hell yeah, count me in! Blade Runner-esque feeling of claustrophobia induced by the city, but in spa..some fake Middle Ages? Pour it on, baby! Old evil mixed with personal traumas for some rather cheap storytelling? Daddy looooves him some daily soap sometimes!

Which brings us to "new Garret". He is a cool dude, I guess. Very reserved, very introvert. Some call him bland. I call it "logical behavior, if you are a guy who shouldn't and doesn't trust anyone", but you know, whatever. Not the brightest lad, but good at what he does. And what does he do?

Stealing. Lots and lots of it. There is a lot of loot. Why don't people keep their stuff together? Would be much easier this way, but then I wouldn't get this nice feeling that I get, when I find an impossible-to-find secret room with just the piece of loot that is missing from my collection. It's warm and fuzzy btw.

The process of pickpocketing is nicely executed, the lockpicking is done well enough so that it doesn't become aggravating (lots of lockpicking in this one, I tells ya) and creates some tense moments. Guards are smart enough to relight fires and notice open doors, which is a clear progress since times long gone. And guys, remember, it's Garrett. The whole point of the character is that he is able to sit in the shadows right under someones nose without being noticed. It's his "gift". So a little less whining and a little more suspension of disbelief and all is fine. Also, it kinda worked the same way in the old series.

Movement is nice and smooth and feels "modern" for better or worse. There were two issues though, that I have to point out. First, Garretts sudden fear of heights sometimes robs him of his ability to jump down ledges. Kinda annoying. And second, the whole "peek in a comical fashion around the corner" thingy still doesn't feel necessary. And third, walking slowly while ducked is weird. Really weird. And forth...ah, who am I kidding there are several issues with the movement, but overall it left a positive impression on me.

Music behaves inappropriately sometimes, but there is an option to turn that sucker off and (if you are a leet hackz0r like me) to listen to your own in the background. For me it's Bob Marley since the dark ages. Get it? Dark Ages! Yeah, moving on.

Ambient sound overall is mediocre, but far from the train wreck that some reviews suggest.

Combat seems to be lacking, but I wouldn't know, since I never play combat.

Replay value is pretty big. Crank up the difficulty, turn all helpers off, put your favorite anti-frustration medicine right beside you and start having fun.

In conclusion: "Thief" proudly hold the flag of the series and stays true to it's traditions - mainly, of being the only one in it's genre, but also of being very good games with some very big flaws. Overall a solid 7.5/10, but I feel urged to rate it 9 here, just because some "zero"-reviews were clearly written by mindcontrolled apes.
  85. Mar 7, 2014
    First of all this game is waste of money, if u would by it, dont do that.
    Game is very very boring, you can`t **** jump where you want, you can`t play what you want, you only can do what developers conceived. "Thief 2014" isn`t good old Thief...
  86. Mar 8, 2014
    the game meant to be an action-stealth but turns out you have to go just stealth, because if suddenly you have to fight to gourds you will probably end up dead as it's so hard to fight. The fight is a boring same-paste movement that you have to dodge and counter attack over and over again and if it's 3 or more you will have no chance. Environment and map is good as you can choose different ways to reach a place but again the key-binding on the movement is not clear at all, as you see a box or and edge that you think you can easily climb ,turns out you cant because you are not supposed to go that way. graphic is good (8/10) but the facial expression is really bad. Story is weak as you will totally forget the characters , except one or 2. overall one of the games that had a amazing trailer but a very disappointing lunch. Expand
  87. Mar 13, 2014
    Thief is a game that fails on too many levels to make it a worthwhile addition to anyone's gaming collection. It cannot keep a frame rate above even 30fps if anything is moving at the same time you move. The visuals are bland, uninspired and just plain bad. The controls are finicky and unresponsive. The level design is linear. Most of the time it only gives you one way to pass through a room, which in a game that strives to give you the freedom to move as you see fit, seems pointless and frustrating. Most of what you steal is silverware, which makes you feel like more of an annoyance than a true thief. The story is boring, characters uninteresting, and the voice acting is on par with any performance by Keanu Reeves. Expand
  88. Mar 14, 2014
    Repetitive game play, bad AI and terrible story (not to mention the ending). Most levels felt restrictive to how the developers want me to solve it, not how I would have solved it. The game map is unusable and most puzzles feel like a chore filled with annoyance. Also, the companion app is 1.99!
  89. Mar 15, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is an beautiful game. I find a few niggling things about it, Things such as this are: Garret throws bodies about half a meter, And they go through some props, e.g. The Furnace when looking for the ring Basso hires you to take, Also, How if you walk between light and shadows, Nobody ever sees you, Guards attack you when you are simply walking about, Listening for conversations on good stealing opportunities, But this does not hold Thief back, Oh no, This game is truly amazing despite these little things, This game shows true potential, And is very much a diamond in the rough. (I'm talking to you Knack and Killzone: Shadow Fall.) But this is very much the beginning of Garrett, As I really do enjoy choosing whether, I wish to stealth my way inside and take everything, Or knock everyone out and take everything, But Garrett should slowly adapt to play styles, If you stealth around the place, Then Garrett would look for a shadowy route, But instead I go all guns blazing, Usually taking my chances with my broadhead arrows and my upgraded Speed and Combat abilities, Rushing in and leaving fast, Taking the loots with me, But instead Garrett talks to himself "Maybe I can use that pipe go get inside the office..." Yet I have just murdered everyone inside the room and found the weird tech key to the door. This game to me, Is very a nerfed Dishonoured reskin; Of course, Now onto the good sides of things, The combat system really, Is great, The fact that I don't have to perform a takedown and can use my upgraded speed to kill this guy who is winded, And the fact these upgrades actually do something, As I have not needed to go ahead and buy arrows, My upgraded Eye ability shows me where the good loot has been placed, Collectibles, So I can simply go around and take the loot I need to get tons of cash, So I can then get more AT Points. The stealth system is... Alright, To say the least. It makes sense how being in shadows, And wearing complete black is going to make you hard to see. But when you have an enemy directly in front of you and he does not see you, You can tell you've encountered something wrong with this mans sight. Now don't get me wrong, This game is no gem, But Jesus Christ is this game great, People complain about this game, Comparing it to Thief: The dark projects, But that was an TRULY amazing game, But this is NOT THE SAME PRODUCERS. This is Square Enix and Eidos Montreal, Two fairly good game creators that have made some **** in their time. So lets just establish this is NOT Looking Glass entertainment, The creators of the original Thief, To the BAD reviews, You are an Master Thief, An Mogul of Silence, Why would you NOT make much sound when moving slowly, Light on your feet? Someone says the sound system was taken out and made **** Let me say this again, So it will hopefully make its way through the other user reviewers in this section. THIS. IS. NOT. THE. SAME. PRODUCERS. Now that has been established, Someone says "They got rid of the original voice actor which should have been a sign they did not know what they were doing. ~BellinoP", The voice actor Stephen Russell (Original) is 77. So how about we have an old man as an stealthy, Building climby Master Thief? Yes, Instead of the Blackjack weapon, We have a cane. He was not available, Get over it fanboys, This reboot could have been worse.
    Thank you for going through my ULTRA long review.
    Gentleman.
  90. Mar 15, 2014
    A very disappointing game. It tries to be dishonored but fails. I was really looking forward to thief stealing my heart but in the end it only stole my wallet.
  91. Mar 22, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Poor IA, graphics still on old gen. So many bugs. I`m disappointed with square enix. I bought this game on amazon thinking thats was a blockbuster but isn't. Expand
  92. Mar 24, 2014
    The people at Eidos Montreal should hide in shame for allowing this game to be released in it's current state and Square Enix should really do a better job of Q&A to make sure that developers aren't rushing to get games out of the door. TO ALL DEVELOPERS : THIEF IS THE TYPE OF GAME THAT YOU WILL GET IF YOU RUSH YOUR PRODUCT TO RETAIL!!! The voice acting is mediocre, the story is all over the place, the controls need a separate set of instructions to get through, The graphics are ok at best, there are too many glitches for a finally product, and the gameplay has a few good moments, but those moments are overshadowed by how horribly the rest of the game is put together. If this game was 15 bucks I'd say buy it, and even then I'd say buy it at your own risk. Expand
  93. May 5, 2014
    when you promise perfection mediocrity looks so much worse and that is what this game is mediocre. If you want a stealth game this is it, all of it and there is literally nothing else in this game worth talking about. the powers are for the most part useless. The upgrade system is practically useless especially since you have to buy levels this is made by the makers of deus ex human revolution not dark souls. The story is ridiculous and the next gen version is held back to post gen designs like windows you have to pry open to cover up loading screens. deus ex human revolution had a larger more bustling city with less loading screens. Not to mention the game promised you would have options in your approach with nonlethal or lethal but that is almost a lie i remember in one of the first levels i was going to shoot a guy with a broadhead through the head which i did and he didn't even die he turned around and sounded the alarm. the side missions are also pointless since they only take up about 4 minutes and boil down to fetch quests since there is practically no challenge involved. Eidos Montreal made Deus Ex Human Revolution one of my favorite games of all time they have no excuse for releasing such an underwhelming title.
    I give it a 3 because the lockpicking is fun and tense that is all.
  94. Jun 29, 2014
    Your are Garrett the MASTER thief... that sound awesome doesn't it?? When you finish a mission you ended up with 64% completion because you didn't steal enough silver spoon... because every one knows that master thief steal over 50 silver spoon per night right??
  95. Jun 30, 2014
    Thief is a terrible, bland and bleak game that lacks any ingenuity or flair of its predecessors. The stealth action genre has exponentially expanded and flourished over the past few years, with many games such as Dishonoured and Bioshock: Infinite taking centre stage. These games have given the player an almost unending array of choices when it comes to gameplay, decisions and how to execute your mission. However, Thief lacks this creativity, and displays a complete loss of initiative and idea when it comes to bringing something new to the table.

Yes, I understand that the colours scheme of the game is dark, but the graphics are extremely subpar, considering that this is a new cross-generation game. The attention to detail, is almost no attention to detail; with the storyline being even more questionable. How bland and ordinary the storyline appears is even more shocking. Could they have not put in any less of an effort?

Thief encourages sneaking in the shadows over full-frontal assault, but it does not even feel like much of an accomplishment when the AI is slow, dim and inconceivably boring. No threat is felt the entire way through the game. It’s more scary what to decide to eat from the fridge.

The price of Thief is still quite high at your local brick-and-mortar shops (like Target/Big W/JB), and I’m thinking that it’s not only a lack of customer interest, but perhaps even the big stores don’t remember that they even have it in stock (due to lack of sales) and are unaware to mark it down! I kid here, but in all seriousness, do NOT bother with this game.[Especially for this price, or any price for that matter.]
  96. Jul 4, 2014
    At first I really was enjoying thief but as I progressed thru the game it became a chore and soon got boring. Too much rinse and repeat, it looks good and the controls are satisfactory but the game just isn't as enjoyable as I wanted it to be.
    Not as must buy but worth picking up when the price for it drops really low.
  97. Jul 17, 2014
    Out of all thief franchise this one is the worst! Mediocre mail plot with cartoon characters. But it is also one of the best stealth game of the year with multiple ways to complete your objective! It is a must own for stealth fans
  98. Aug 6, 2014
    It's easy on the eyes, but I found it quite dull. It also doesn't really do a very good job of explaining what is going on either. Better stealth games are out there I would say.
  99. Mar 6, 2014
    I am great fan of the original series and this game is also awesome. I don't know what is the reason of all this hate. I love to just sneak around the city and search for loot. Of course it has some bugs, but for me it is not a big deal. I would advise everyone not to listen to butthurted masses and give this game a shot :) btw i am playing on pc and on master level :)
  100. Mar 5, 2014
    WYSIWYG. It's a dark and moody stealth game reboot that's rough around the edges--not an open-world thief simulator or a pacifier for Thief purists. I'm having fun with it, even though the world DOES feel a bit too artificial. A buddy of mine likes it, but he seems to struggle with his addiction to bonking everyone on the head or the idea of avoiding contact with would-be hostiles. Subtlety is NOT his forte. Oh well--I'm digging it, but it is most definitely a STEALTH GAME--not the latest and greatest example of interactive immersion. Oh, and never forget: metacritic scores DO NOT MEAN ANYTHING. Cheers. Expand

1. Mar 26, 2014
    The biggest problem for this game is every stealth game that has come since Thief: the Dark Project. Thief can’t match the visual flair and supernatural powers of Dishonored. It doesn’t have the lean efficiency and murderous creativity of the Hitman series; it trails the razor’s edge stealth and gadget lust of Splinter Cell; it lacks the vision and bombast of the Metal Gear series. Hell, it doesn’t even have a very good thief.
  2. Mar 21, 2014
    The return of the master thief Garrett is a mixed bag. Thief builds on its series proud heritage of tactile stealth, focusing on realism but loses some of the way to modern design trends. Thief has some unnecessary padding that smooth out the gameplay as well as some cinematic ambitions that do not reach all the way. Above all, it is plagued by qualitative valleys that appear to be a result of a stressed launch. Nevertheless, Thief gets a weak recommendation because the basic formula is still fun and somewhat unique.
  3. A nail-biting experience needing a few more coats of polish to stand out. [April 2014, p76]