Thief PlayStation 4

6.3

1. Feb 25, 2014
    This is not a 10/10 game, and it's certainly not a 0/10 or 1/10 game either. Those who post such reviews are either upset at the bad reviews its receiving, or just haters who don't like the franchise or are still stuck on the first game that came out in 1998. Seriously, the game is a reboot, and it has its flaws, but it's a lot of fun to play. Most of the reviews I've seen say the sameThis is not a 10/10 game, and it's certainly not a 0/10 or 1/10 game either. Those who post such reviews are either upset at the bad reviews its receiving, or just haters who don't like the franchise or are still stuck on the first game that came out in 1998. Seriously, the game is a reboot, and it has its flaws, but it's a lot of fun to play. Most of the reviews I've seen say the same thing: flawed, but atmospheric and addictive gameplay. 7/10 seems to be a fair review figure. Expand
  2. Feb 25, 2014
    Amazing graphics but it fails to deliver on everything else. I am speaking as a 38 yo video gaming veteran. I played every stealth or action stealth game out there, including both of the earlier Thief games. I really had high hopes about this game because of the strength of the Thief material and the fact that Square Enix (also the publisher of great remakes such as Deus Ex and Hitman)Amazing graphics but it fails to deliver on everything else. I am speaking as a 38 yo video gaming veteran. I played every stealth or action stealth game out there, including both of the earlier Thief games. I really had high hopes about this game because of the strength of the Thief material and the fact that Square Enix (also the publisher of great remakes such as Deus Ex and Hitman) will be publishing. However i am really disappointed about how linear the game is. It feels like a stealth COD which really turns me off. You can't choose between different paths while approaching to missions. the game is not open world at all. You have to go from that scripted tiny street and there is no other way of reaching to designated destination. I am around 4-5 hours into the game and i still have no clue about the story and my overall aim is unclear. the story is shallow and not presented well. I even disliked Garreth who talks to much now and for some reason i don't care about this character. I never skip the cutscenes while playing a game for the first time but i did it while playing Thief. Ah.. i wish i wasn't writing such a negative review for one my favourite titles ever but this is what i think. Expand
  3. Aug 23, 2015
    I wasn't entirely sure what I thought about this game. It has some decent high notes in it. The stealth aspect was fun, the stealing itself was enjoyable, the levels were well thought out, and the atmosphere was dark and dreary and that made me quite happy. I had enough fun with these things that I'm giving it a relatively average score, because the downsides of this game were striking.I wasn't entirely sure what I thought about this game. It has some decent high notes in it. The stealth aspect was fun, the stealing itself was enjoyable, the levels were well thought out, and the atmosphere was dark and dreary and that made me quite happy. I had enough fun with these things that I'm giving it a relatively average score, because the downsides of this game were striking.

The story itself was mundane, and that's a major thing for me in games. The protagonist was... well, lame. I think they were going for an anti-hero thing but he ended up just being uninteresting. He didn't seem to have any discernible personality beyond stealing things and brooding and I'm still confused about his actual motivation through the game. I think his motivation might actually have just been to steal stuff. He did say at one point when asked about it "It's who I am" which is the kind of dumb answer you'd expect from a teenager after getting an ugly tattoo on their face, not from a middle-aged man who's seen the ugliest side of life up close and personal. So no hook there. The climax of the game felt very lacking as well. Our villain didn't play a strong role and I saw him coming from a mile away, and our damsel was just there to provide some personal motivation to our middle-aged teen. It all just felt very lackluster.

And then there's the combat. I like the option of being a murderous backstabby little thing in my stealth games but that just wasn't here. Not only could you not kill people, but when you did fight it felt like clubbing a snowman to death. They'd react to your initial hit and then to none of the subsequent ones until their animation was done. Clunky doesn't begin to describe it.

And, the biggest gripe for me was the Thieftaker General. He did fine as an antagonist, but that bloke popped up everywhere. At the end of every level he was somehow there to remind me that he existed. The worst was when I found a secret room in a building that was on fire and under siege and he somehow showed up to step on my fingers and glare at me.

P.S. Note to game designers. It is bad form to set me up as a super-stealthy master thief only to have me be discovered by cutscene.
  4. Jun 26, 2014
    Story:
    You play as Garrett, the Master Thief. You were on a mission with your apprentice Erin when You stumble on to a ritual and instead of quitting the mission, Erin tries to finish it despite your fears. Fast forward a year later, and "The City" is suffering from "The Gloom", and it's up to you to find out what's going on. I'd like to start out by saying that this game has a lot of similarities to "Dishonored" when it comes to its story. Both games feature dark fantasy cities (with Thief being more darker), both feature plaques, and both contain supernatural elements in their stories. While I'll say that the plot here is less cliched than in Dishonored, the execution here is worse. The story here revolves around what happened in the prologue mission with Garrett seeing visions of what happened and there's a lot of backstory to what the ritual was about. I also liked the supernatural aspects of the story with Garrett communicating with ghosts. The problem is that the story felt uninteresting in context. The game does a poor job of telling the story that I was bored of it until about 75% of the game was completed. It's only at the end of mission 6 that I became sort of interested in the plot. I also didn't like the ending as it seemed like Garrett didn't even learn anything important from the events of the game. Speaking of Garrett, his character is flat, boring, and poorly voiced. The only positive I can say about him is that at least he isn't as bad as Aiden Pierce from "Watch Dogs". Just like in Watch Dogs, the side characters are WAY more interesting and a few of them have some entertaing lines. But that doesn't change the fact that I was bored throughout most of this poorly executed story. 4/10

Gameplay:
    The gameplay is mixed for as I liked some aspects of it, but HATED others. I will say that the biggest highlight of the game for me was the thieving aspect. I loved breaking into peoples house through a variety of ways like through the front and back doors, roof, windows, or vent. I also liked the lockpicking and pickpocketing mechanics as they weren't very hard to pull off. I even liked stealing all the collectables, jewelry, and other valuable items from peoples houses. There's also a cool albeit familiar mechanic called focus that highlights enemies, civilians, items of interest or value, entrances like doors or vents, and other items except the items won't stay highlighted forever unlike in Ubisoft games. Also unlike Ubisoft games, focus doesn't last forever as it runs on its own life bar. The sneaking was also pretty cool as you literally use the shadows to your advantage via hiding in them and putting out light sources like candles or fire. You also have a bow that can use a variety of arrows including normal, water, fire, choke, and blast. The game also has some nice RPG elements mixed in as you can upgrade your items, Garrett's abilities, and carrying capacities, and unlike in Dishonored, there's a new game plus option. Well, it's not exactly new game plus but you can replay main and side missions with all your upgrades intact. My biggest problem with the game is its combat system. When spotted, you can run away or stay and fight, but you're better off running away as your only weapon is your "blackjack" which is essentially a club, and this weapon is AWFUL at putting out enemies. it takes about 6 or 7 hits just to take out 1, so good luck taking out 3 or 4. To save time, you might as well restart from checkpoint. The level design on some of these missions also suck as you're usually escorted down a linear path rather than having the freedom to move around and experiment. As for missions, there are 8 of them (with one of them having a cool horror atmosphere to it), and only 1 of them had an interesting location to it which was a brothel, but even there you couldn't really explore much due to lots of lights and guards in the area. I will say that the 2 boss fights that are near the end do take advantage of shadows quite nicely. It's unfortunate that the gameplay here isn't that good as I can see the potential with the stealth aspects. 5/10

Graphics:
    Even though this isn't PC, the graphics still look nice on the PS4. The lighting effects are the visuals greatest strength along with the city design, and the textures, backgrounds, and facial models look nice even though the lip-syncing on the faces is bad. 8/10

Sound:
    Another strength of this game is the sound with a horror-esq soundtrack that fits the game's mood and tone of dark and gritty. I also loved the ambient sounds of citizens and guards communicating even if they tend to repeat on multiple restarts. The sound effects are also perfectly made with great bass effects when wearing the Gold Headset. At least the game nails it when it comes to sound design. 9/10

Verdict:
    As someone who hasn't played the original Thief games, This isn't a good start for me. Bad story and mixed gameplay is what ruins it for me. Just rent it.

Rating: 5/10
  5. Mar 14, 2014
    Repetitive game play, bad AI and terrible story (not to mention the ending). Most levels felt restrictive to how the developers want me to solve it, not how I would have solved it. The game map is unusable and most puzzles feel like a chore filled with annoyance. Also, the companion app is 1.99!
  6. Jan 1, 2015
    I had to really push myself through this game the further I got into it. The graphics look really nice, the scenery is good, and the stealth system is fantastic. Even though a tiny shadow can completely hide you from a guard that is ten feet away, but I can't think of any stealth game that doesn't do this, so I'll give it a pass. The problem is that it is very repetitive. Every mission isI had to really push myself through this game the further I got into it. The graphics look really nice, the scenery is good, and the stealth system is fantastic. Even though a tiny shadow can completely hide you from a guard that is ten feet away, but I can't think of any stealth game that doesn't do this, so I'll give it a pass. The problem is that it is very repetitive. Every mission is pretty much the same thing. I started off the game going as slowly as I could, carefully checking every corner, but I later found out that you could just as easily run through everything as guards have a hard time keeping up with you and stop their pursuit after you reach a checkpoint. The only reason to not do this is because of the collectibles, which do little more than sit on your shelf in your safe house. The story is okay, but I didn't like the main character, or any character for that matter. Expand
  7. Nov 3, 2014
    Thief would have been a great game 10 years ago. The gameplay and graphics are extremely outdated and the whole thing feels like an alpha build of Dishonoured. There is nothing enticing within the game to keep you playing, don't believe the apologists.
  8. Mar 8, 2015
    I can't recommend this game. Half of it is interesting and well done, but the cutscenes don't connect to the gameplay well, they are poorly animated, and the main character is boring. The voice acting is mediocre and Garrett appears to not care at all about anything that happens in the whole game which makes it hard as a player to enjoy it.
  9. Sep 18, 2014
    I was hoping this game would be a good stealth-action game, or kind of like Assassin's Creed. I was totally wrong.

The graphics are really bad. And the voice acting is even worse. Many characters do not display emotions or move their mouths accurately to correspond with the specific words. The controls were awful and the antithesis of fluid. Overall, it wasn't the worst game I have

Overall, it wasn't the worst game I have played, but I wouldn't recommend it.
  10. Nov 22, 2014
    To be honest this game isn't the best, there was little to no combat so when u get seen, you are pretty much forced to run away for some time until you lose them. Also, bad voice acting kinda ruined my experience with the game. There was only really 1 memorable chapter.
  11. Jan 8, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game is overall fine, if it was a ps2 game, the graphics and models could ed be more polished, the combat is pain, PAIN. The storyline is not terrible, but unmemorable and the boss fights are just UNFAIR and CRUEL. Filled with bugs that made the immersion of the game completely dead this game should NEVER be sold at a higher price than 20$. The only thing that makes this game worth it is the awesome inventory,
    the great art design and the stealth mechanic (which BTW it was already perfected in other games).

If you want to give this game a shot do it, but only if you found it at a cheap price
  12. May 5, 2015
    Thief was a disappointment. Lets get things started with the high notes. Thief does really well at making interesting and enjoyable stealth sections. It feels smooth and is never to unfair with its detection's (However I do feel like when ever you are in the dark you a are basically invisible to the guards) One of the best new features is the "swoop" Clicking "x" will allow you to swoopThief was a disappointment. Lets get things started with the high notes. Thief does really well at making interesting and enjoyable stealth sections. It feels smooth and is never to unfair with its detection's (However I do feel like when ever you are in the dark you a are basically invisible to the guards) One of the best new features is the "swoop" Clicking "x" will allow you to swoop across the environment. Allowing you to quickly get through tricky situations. From almost getting sandwiched by guards to dashing though a light source it has many uses. The focus meter however I feel is annoying. Due to the reason I think it takes out the enjoyment of the games atmosphere. The focus meter lets you know where loot is and secret passages. I played not using this feature, I only used it when I was stumped on what to due. However it is a nice option for people who are new to the thief games, or stealth games altogether. The stealth mechanics are really well made....... but. Everything else falls flat one its face. The graphics while pretty good has a lot of technical issues. A lot of pop in and some textures look plain ugly. The cut scenes bring out the technical issues even more. Lip syncing is horrendous. Lets now talk bought the story. Its a complete mess. First off Garet is so uninteresting. He shows no personality and no reason to care bought him. Same could be said bought a lot of people in the story. No one sticks out or seems to have any interesting characters. The story is not what the trailers said it would be. It looked like Garet would be a robin hood charter working with the poor trying to take back the city. It had some steam punk elements, I was so excited for this. However its not any of those things. Its a supernatural thriller that has no interesting moments. The poor trying to take back thee city is a side story. Pushed away when it looks a lot more interesting. If they focused on that it could have been a pretty good story. Lets wrap this up with a few more complaints and comments. The open world is clunky and polluted with loading screens. It is also super clunky to move around it, since the "parkour" is clunky. One neat feature is the custom difficulty option. This was fun to mess around with and made playing it again a bit more tolerable. Final thoughts, Thief is an odd game. The stealth is amazing however it somehow crept into a horrible story and odd design choices. I only recommend if you are a big thief fan are super hungry for some good stealth game play. It is around 30 bucks on the PS store, wait for a sale for it then pick it up if you are a fan or want some stealth game play. It goes for like 10 bucks on sale so just wait this one out.
    Positives

Uninteresting characters
    Clunky game design
    Technical issues
  13. Aug 16, 2016
    Thief is a stealth video game developed by Eidos Montreal, published by Square Enix.

+ Good Stealth Mechanics
    - Frequent Load Screens
    - Bland Characters
    - Bad Story
  14. Mar 30, 2014
    THE GOOD: .......
    THE GOOD: .......
    Graphics and detail are top notch. The fog and lighting provides excellent atmosphere with light shafts galore. Body awareness: You can see garret's hand open doors, you can view his feet walking along and even see his shadow, something found on very few first person games. You can lean over edges to look down without falling and automatically jump when running. Fighting guards takes careful dodge and attack timing but you are a thief, not a fighter which makes this a good feature overall in that you can fight some in the face of death but not well. Lots of variety in loot to steal from rings, pendants and frames to gold spoons and plaques. Running is exhilarating and fun. The weather is a nice touch, from lighting storms to falling rain with the latter being very well done however only done during a particular part of the game.
    -------
    THE BAD:.......
    Guards talk to themselves repeating odd things over and over like "Hope I sleep tonight". Now multiply hearing that by 200 and you'll want to murder them all. Sound location issues were never fixed thanks to Square laying the team off. The city is laid out specifically for the player which means it bares no reality, in other words the city was not built in a realistic fashion to support a community, it's only there for the players sake alone. Dead end streets, boxes hiding pathways...etc. Structurally, the city makes no sense. It's convoluted. Breaking into apartments often yields you with 1 or 2 small rooms and no way to explore other rooms behind the fake doors, also most all apartments are devoid of life, not even a sleeping dweller. So there is no reason to sneak around when doing most side missions.-------THE UGLY:......Guards and NPC's just pace systematically like robots. The town still feels devoid of life, you could pretend it's because of the plague but even still it's very limited. It's like the entire game is a setup on stage for you to make your way through with little deviation and logic. The story...it's terribad. You won't care about it nor any of the characters as they don't have much personality what little you hear from them. Basically you're out to find the truth of what happened to Erin who happens to have fallen to the demise of her own arrogance and stupidity with no reason as to why Garret nor the player should care. ----------VALUE: $10 unless you really enjoy stealth games then $30 is a steal, don't pay much more for it than that....however, the game will provide at least 10 hours of decent enjoyment until you get tired of it unless you enjoy stealth enough to beat the game despite the flaws.------Hope you enjoy my good,bad,ugly reviews.
  15. Mar 1, 2014
    So let me start out by saying that this reboot of a classic pc rpg/stealth game is not quit what I expected it to be.first let me say that Thief is by no mean a perfect 10 game but it is not a horrible game either, in my opinion thief is about average, since this game has a ton of bugs and awful frame rate issues and a few other problems that I hope can be resolved by patches.the story isSo let me start out by saying that this reboot of a classic pc rpg/stealth game is not quit what I expected it to be.first let me say that Thief is by no mean a perfect 10 game but it is not a horrible game either, in my opinion thief is about average, since this game has a ton of bugs and awful frame rate issues and a few other problems that I hope can be resolved by patches.the story is alright,however Garret is supposed to be the ultimate thief but by the way Eidos made Garret feel is more like a petty thief who will steal just about anything for example you steal knifes,cups,wall planks,ect which seems very small time to me,but you do get to steal allot of jewels as well and explore allot of cool areas.I think once all the bugs get fixed thief could be a decent tittle,but as of right now I don't see thief as a must buy. Expand
  16. Mar 5, 2014
    This game itself is not a bad game but at the same time it isn't a superb game. It is a decent game, well developed, storyline is predictable, progressions is 100% linear and the game experience isn't thought-provoking. The entertainment value from start to finish is mediocre. It covers nothing original in terms of gameplay and it barely does in the areas where it can be proud of.
  17. Mar 15, 2014
    A very disappointing game. It tries to be dishonored but fails. I was really looking forward to thief stealing my heart but in the end it only stole my wallet.
  18. May 30, 2014
    If I had to describe Thief in one sentence, that would be: "Well made, but boring"
    Thief is a good paced stealth game, but it is not fun to play, which saddened me a lot considering I was a fan of the original Thief. Nice value, with lots of quests and loot to find in The City, but a game must be fun to play, and honestly this game isn't.
  19. Mar 7, 2014
    hmm where to start. I know that stealth games are slower in pace than most games but this takes it to boring levels. creep around, creep some more, stay out of the light, creep some more do some par cour, creep some more, the end. the story is lame and the ending is just terrible and not thought out. the enemies are bland and wooden, and the sound design is so bad it seems glitched athmm where to start. I know that stealth games are slower in pace than most games but this takes it to boring levels. creep around, creep some more, stay out of the light, creep some more do some par cour, creep some more, the end. the story is lame and the ending is just terrible and not thought out. the enemies are bland and wooden, and the sound design is so bad it seems glitched at times, i mean whats with hearing people very loudly through a foot of stone wall? . the visuals on the ps4 are ok i guess but just seem like re skinned ps3 visuals. its far from the worst game ever made but unless you are REALLY in to stealth and sneeking give it a miss. Expand
  20. Mar 15, 2014
    The stealth in the game is good but the game suffers from a poorly exectuted plot, uninteresting characters too much load screens, gimmicky touchpad controls and some framerate issues.
  21. Mar 5, 2014
    Thief Xbox One:

Thief Xbox One:

Generally speaking I need to play the game to obviously make a determination on the game, reviews do help but you never know its a good steak until you stick you head in the cows mouth, (think that's Tommy Boy) any way back to the review. This game couldn't be more average, I can see glimpses of awesome but quickly phase in and out like the amount of fun you will have playing this game. One extremely annoying feature is that nothing is seamless or labeled on your map, its a marker and with out it you would be totally lost as to where your mission/side mission is. I find myself entering rooms/buildings more then 3 times, unless I care to try to remember that I already have... to old and lazy at this point people, you enter a place should have a color code or label stating so. Entering another portion of the game, requires you to load, which I don't mind if the game warned you, there has been more then a few times where I say "oh, ill get that safe later" and open the window to see what is ahead, only resulting in a load time, and no way of returning until way way later if you want to reduce the mission. The game is tedious at best, if you want to really have a sneak and steal experience buy Skyrim. Please keep in mind I have never played a Thief game before this is purely a first time observation. I would wait till this game goes on super sale, but by then Thief 2 will be out which hopefully they address this game that the genre has merely no competition in.
  22. Jul 4, 2014
    At first I really was enjoying thief but as I progressed thru the game it became a chore and soon got boring. Too much rinse and repeat, it looks good and the controls are satisfactory but the game just isn't as enjoyable as I wanted it to be.
    Not as must buy but worth picking up when the price for it drops really low.
  23. Jul 17, 2014
    Out of all thief franchise this one is the worst! Mediocre mail plot with cartoon characters. But it is also one of the best stealth game of the year with multiple ways to complete your objective! It is a must own for stealth fans
  24. Mar 4, 2014
    A game that had great ideas but all of them were poorly executed. Overall a playable game, but very broken in many of the mechanics it tried to adopt from other games.
  25. Feb 27, 2014
    Been playing Thief for a few hours and I'm enjoying it. I can't help but feel alot of the reviewers were a little harsh on the game.

The story element is weak and the way it tells it is such a bore. It's so boring I've stopped following it altogether. The voice acting is also uninspired and doesn't really fit the characters that well, which is a bit of a bummer because it does kind of take away from the immersion a bit. Another issue with Thief (and this can be patched) is audio going out of sync at times and cutscenes being choppy.

The graphics are fairly good on PS4, not mindblowing like Killzone Shadowfall but they're still good enough for next-gen. Textures aren't blurry messes like on last-gen systems. The lighting in the game is fairly well done though for obvious reasons.

The controls and movement are a little awkward. One gripe I have is running along rooftops. Garrett sucks at jumping so If you get to a gap you have to clear, you think you'll be able to make it but you end up falling to your death. Other times it's the opposite - you'll think you can't make it but you actually can. It's even worse when you have to drop down though. When you go to drop down from a ledge, half the time the game will not let you do it automatically, which gives you the impression that maybe you're not supposed to do it. Well it turns out you CAN do it and the controls were just trying to mislead and trick you the whole time. That gets annoying super quick.

The combat is pretty crappy, but then again it's a stealth game so the aim is to AVOID combat. The game is called "Thief" after all. Anyone who routinely engages in combat and complains about how bad it is shouldn't be playing Thief. The enemy AI is okay for the most part but they have their moments. I've managed to escape from 2 guys just by moving literally one step to the right and obscure their line of sight.

The gameplay is where Thief redeems itself, and sadly that's probably due to sheer luck. It's fun as anything to skulk around and look stuff. I haven't enjoyed a stealth game in years. Come to think of it, I haven't played a stealth game in years either because there hasn't really been any since Splinter Cell: Double Agent (no, Conviction and Blacklist don't count).

Overall, Eidos/Square did a solid job of rebooting Thief. If you're expecting mindblowing Frostbite 3 graphics and an engrossing story with heaps of lore and all that, look elsewhere. If you think this game is like Assassin's Creed (it really isn't), look elsewhere. If you want a fun game that revisits the good old stealth genre, this is for you. 7/10.
  26. Mar 7, 2014
    First of all this game is waste of money, if u would by it, dont do that.
    Game is very very boring, you can`t **** jump where you want, you can`t play what you want, you only can do what developers conceived. "Thief 2014" isn`t good old Thief...
  27. Mar 17, 2014
    I was really looking forward to this game when it was announced. Now that I have gotten to play it I am really disappointed. The graphics are great but remind me of the early days of PS3 exclusives when all the titles seemed to be different shades of brown. This game seems to be have 50 shades of grey. The sound is so so and the story is horrible. What really broke immersion for me is theI was really looking forward to this game when it was announced. Now that I have gotten to play it I am really disappointed. The graphics are great but remind me of the early days of PS3 exclusives when all the titles seemed to be different shades of brown. This game seems to be have 50 shades of grey. The sound is so so and the story is horrible. What really broke immersion for me is the steal loot, to earn money, to then level up. You seem to have bottom less bag to hold the whole world in. But the world is huge and is very easy to get lost in. I only played about 10 hours before I realized I wasn't having fun. I stopped playing. Expand
  28. Feb 28, 2014
    I've played through the entire Thief series. While I have been excited for a continuation of the series, I did not want to build up my expectations for this new installment. So far, I'm pretty early into the game but I have some observations that are both positive and negative about the experience.

First, as a game of this type, I have been enjoying it. I find myself wanting to continue playing it even when I know I need to stop to take care of other responsibilities. So it is entertaining and somewhat engaging. However, being someone who has played through the series, I feel like the game is not delivering in terms of the Thief universe. That is because it isn't. Which leaves me why it was decided that game uses the Thief name at all since it shares little context with its predecessors.

Removing crucial elements such as the factions that are in the old series (Hammerites, Keepers, Pagans, etc.) is comparable to making a Star Wars movie with Luke Skywalker as the main character, but in a universe where there is no Empire or Jedi. The elements that were removed were the key elements that defined not only the games' environment but Garret as well.

A new character should have been established if approaching the series with this new take. It would have been better if the game were set in a much later time, long after after Garret and the various factions involvment. Otherwise, the various references and nods to the old series including the use of the same character is a slap in the face to those who knew and loved the original series. To me the game should have been addressed in this way, or better yet, should have not gone with using the name Thief. So, for me, Thief is a thief game, but not a Thief game.

It is entertaining as I am having fun playing it. So I feel I am getting my money's worth so far in that area. However, it does an injustice to its namesake making wish I had waited for it to come down a little on price.

Again, I am still playing through the game. I would give it about an 8-8.5 personally in terms of entertainment value. However, for not staying true to the Thief universe, effectively destroying what has previously been established, I have to be petty and deduct a point or 2 for this disservice. My rating is subject to change, but for now I'll average it out and give it 7.
  29. Feb 25, 2014
    Its not bad, but often i caught myself thinking: That's a lot like Dishonored. Just not as good. The biggest Problem for me is the world: Everything feels stiff and misplaced. Then there is the blue glow and the white paint everywhere like the game is horrified that you could miss a part of its amazing experience. Everyone except the watch does not even seem to notice you even if you standIts not bad, but often i caught myself thinking: That's a lot like Dishonored. Just not as good. The biggest Problem for me is the world: Everything feels stiff and misplaced. Then there is the blue glow and the white paint everywhere like the game is horrified that you could miss a part of its amazing experience. Everyone except the watch does not even seem to notice you even if you stand right in front of them. The world has so many little failures in its building... it just feels lazy most of the time. Expand
  30. Feb 28, 2014
    Thief is a fun game. There are issues with the game. Annoying load times story sucks. But if your playing a stealth game for the story then maybe you should play another genre. No jumping does suck. But the game is still fun and isn't that all that matters
  31. Feb 28, 2014
    Thief is a game that succeeds on many levels, but falls short of greatness due to some questionable writing choices, and sometimes stiff mechanics.

It's obviously been a long time since the last Thief game, 10 years to be precise, but the formula is alive and well in more ways than one. Eidos Montreal have given as a fresh and interesting stealth game that can be brutally challenging at times.

And I think that's where I should start. A lot of people seem unsatisfied with the games difficulty and/or AI, and this kind of bothers me. After playing and finishing the game over some 15 hours, I can say that the difficulty was one of the most rewarding parts about the game.
    When you start a new game, you are given a custom difficulty option. This is the way to play the game. Base difficulty on Master, No Focus, No HUD, No Loot Highlighting, No Takedowns or Knockouts… This is what made those 15+ hours of play so rewarding. It was a true, tailored to me, stealth experience.
    Reading both critic and user reviews, it is so clear that people played on the preset difficulties, and didn't bother tampering with theses options.

Obviously difficulty is not something that makes the game worthy of a perfect 10, but it is definitely a redeeming quality.

The gameplay, while at times fluid and streamlined, can sometimes become clunky and difficult to get along with. In one instance I would be slinking through the shadows evading all those around me, grab myself some coin out of a guards pocket, before using the awesome swoop mechanic to… well, "swoop" back in to the shadows. And those moments feel so, so cool.
    However, moments later, I am accidentally leaping off a ledge that's slightly too high and killing myself, due to an overly sensitive jump/climb/run button on L2. The fact that the button does all of those things is not the direct problem, it's just that all I would have to do is skim it with my finger and I would be falling down onto a guard that I was prying on from above.
    As I wanted to go through without a single kill/knockout, and wanted Zero Alerts on missions, this would result in a direct reload of previous checkpoints, and with some of the questionable load times in the game, this became quite arduous.

Visually the game is pretty gorgeous. There is never much colour on display, save for one of my favourite missions in which you mush navigate a brothel, filled with shades of red and gold. However this is a game that is perfectly in touch with its own time period. Though this is fantasy, and no precise date is given, the architecture and setting fit the mood perfectly.

I've left the story for last as one would think it would be the least important part of a game that wants you to steal everything you see. Eidos put a little too much faith in it, and the laughable writing makes the characters even less likeable. If nothing else, the fact that such a story was implemented, it led to some amazing scenarios and levels, one of which was a haunted asylum, that sent chills up my spine at every turn, and was a very unexpected treat.

Overall, Thief is worth playing. March 2014 will be busy for both new consoles, and if you're on PS4 like me, you're most likely excited for inFamous: Second Sun. If you're looking for something to pass the month, Thief will be a worthy endeavour, if only for the Trophies.

A 7 out of 10.

Jack Valentine
  32. Apr 7, 2014
    I bought Thief for £24.99 in a half price PSN sale. For that price I felt I had paid a fair amount for an average game. Thief isn’t a bad game by a long shot, but it also isn’t great. The ten hours or so it takes to complete held my interest and at times I had a lot of fun. But ultimately the game is let down by average graphics, a poor attempt at open world, bad AI and annoying loadingI bought Thief for £24.99 in a half price PSN sale. For that price I felt I had paid a fair amount for an average game. Thief isn’t a bad game by a long shot, but it also isn’t great. The ten hours or so it takes to complete held my interest and at times I had a lot of fun. But ultimately the game is let down by average graphics, a poor attempt at open world, bad AI and annoying loading screens.

The game plays like Dishonoured (but not as good) for those of you nippers to young to remember the early Thief games on PC. Now I like the early games and a lot of the things I loved have been transferred to this game. The light and Dark meter, water arrows and the gothic medieval setting. Thief is at its best when creeping through the dark, blowing out candles, dashing up behind guards and rummaging through draws and lock boxes to find stealables! It is at its worst in-between missions having to go through the same areas of the quasi-open world waiting for loading screens to disappear. Now if the game looked stunning and the world was traversable like in say Assassins creed allowing you to approach a mission however you want, I would forgive the load screens. But on the PS4 this is not acceptable, the graphics are okay, nice at times but never next gen.

The controls work, the touchpad stuff can be frustrating but all in all they don’t brake the game. But I do feel there is such a missed opportunity by making each route so linear. The story is interesting enough to keep you playing but isn’t memorable. The missions require you to steal a specific object which I enjoyed, they should have just scrapped the bits in-between missions and had a straight forward level after level mechanic rather than tie it together with the open world which doesn’t work. It would have helped the game flow better.

I did enjoy Thief though. I like the medieval setting and the stealth mechanics. The actual mission levels are well designed and interesting. But nostalgia played a part in the fun I had as I enjoyed the early games. I would recommend if you can pick up for cheap, as there isn’t much on the PS4 at the moment and this is a neat little filler game. But if you pay full price you will likely feel disappointed.

In no way better than Dishonoured, but similar and worthy of a play though if picked up for the right price.
  33. Mar 1, 2014
    I played all the Thief games and this this game is good but mostly a disappointment. It's not a 10/10 rating game or anything less than a 5, but it's an above average game when it comes to the Thief legacy. It's very difficult to not compare it to its heir apparent Dishonored as that game was everything Thief should have been. Dishonored is a classic in not only gameplay but storytellingI played all the Thief games and this this game is good but mostly a disappointment. It's not a 10/10 rating game or anything less than a 5, but it's an above average game when it comes to the Thief legacy. It's very difficult to not compare it to its heir apparent Dishonored as that game was everything Thief should have been. Dishonored is a classic in not only gameplay but storytelling as well.

This Thief game has its moments and it never gets old creeping around and stealing stuff and collecting artifacts which is the primary reason I have scrored it a seven. The flaws that keep it from getting an 8, 9 or 10 rating are the following:

- Very hallow generic game, not much life in it and the storyline doesn't help either.
    - Loot is constantly everywhere which can be a bad thing since your constantly hitting square collecting things. Not sure why we need to see an animation of him swiping stuff.
    - Garrett talks too much. Serioulsy though the acting could be a bit better and the animations sometimes come off as cheezy or last generation quality. Overall I'm not sure I like the Joaquin Phoenix look of Garrett or his sidekicks.

Anyway the game is fun but not worth the money. It definitely has value in the $20-$30 range but as is I can't recommend this especially for die hard Thief fans because it's pretty different from the older games.

Nice try but hopefully Square Enix and Eidos Montreal have better luck on a sequel.
  34. Mar 2, 2014
    I thoroughly enjoyed Thief. For starters, it looks gorgeous. There was minimal frame rate and pop in issues, but other than that it is a stunning game. Movement through The City (That's the city's actual name) feels fluid and responsive. The City is full of optional things to do and see, which quite surprised me. Don't get me wrong, it was a pleasant surprise but it could have beenI thoroughly enjoyed Thief. For starters, it looks gorgeous. There was minimal frame rate and pop in issues, but other than that it is a stunning game. Movement through The City (That's the city's actual name) feels fluid and responsive. The City is full of optional things to do and see, which quite surprised me. Don't get me wrong, it was a pleasant surprise but it could have been introduced better. This game was obviously built with last gen systems in mind which would be fine if the PS4 and Xbox One didn't have the same loading blocks the PS3 and 360 are plagued with. Another issue I have is a lack of support for someone who likes combat. You can do standard sneak takedowns, but once you're spotted it's a matter of mashing one button and dodging. Even then, you are quick to die and it's clear as day this is a game you are meant to play stealthily. All i'm saying is a few extra animations or an option to boost your combat skills like you can Stealth or Agility would help. The game desperately tries to stay true to the original games, but in the age of games like Dishonored and Assassin's Creed that do what this game does and miles better, I would only recommend it if you want a pure stealth game. I say it's a love it or hate it situation. Give it a try, but don't expect to be blown away by anything. Expand
  35. Mar 1, 2014
    This game is pretty broken, enemies can be a floor above or below you or a hundred meters away through a wall and they sound like they are directly beside you.
    The L2 button is so annoying to pull off, it doesn't always work and if you have water way below you, you will quickly find out what I am saying.
    The first clip was so out of sync lips and stuttering it was horrible. A mediocre
    The first clip was so out of sync lips and stuttering it was horrible.
    A mediocre game about an attempted thief who turns out to be a klepto with super sonic hearing crossed with paranoia.
  36. Feb 25, 2014
    Possibly the PC version of the game is more refined, with smoother frame rate, but the PS4 port is just sad at times. The game's sluggish drops would be acceptable if the game was visually more impressive, or the animations were less rigid. But they aren't, the games animations are on par with the AC serious, and the visuals vary from mildly impressive to last gen shooter tier.
    As for the
    As for the elements of the game that are more universal(PC, XOne, and PS4), the writing is much like the visual presentation, tight in some places and sloppy in others. It's one of those games that shows how video game writers often aren't the best when it comes to dialogue between characters. The story is interesting on paper, but the elements of the world feel like they are somewhat archaic throwbacks to more traditional video game character throw backs.
    I don't enjoy making the AC comparison so often, as someone may misconstrue it as "throwing all stealth games together", but the game brings me back to AC in many ways. The disjointed way you start and end missions, the very overt personality to the side characters and how you meet them, and as I said earlier the animations are about on the same level. Now obviously I would the similarities as games end there, as everything else would just lumping similar concepts not gameplay. In gameplay, it is more akin to the developer's previous game Deus Ex HR, but with a heavier emphasis on stealth.
    I'd say that if you're an average consumer who isn't too interested in the Thief games, or stealth games as a whole, I'd stay away from it. But if you enjoy the series and want to see how the properties is handled in modern times, I'd say go for it. But the PC or X-Box One versions may be the better route, as the PS4 version has too many technical bugs to be excused. Which is embarrassing considering how other games like Killzone have had no big issues with steady Frame-rate or 1080p.
  37. Mar 5, 2014
    WYSIWYG. It's a dark and moody stealth game reboot that's rough around the edges--not an open-world thief simulator or a pacifier for Thief purists. I'm having fun with it, even though the world DOES feel a bit too artificial. A buddy of mine likes it, but he seems to struggle with his addiction to bonking everyone on the head or the idea of avoiding contact with would-be hostiles.WYSIWYG. It's a dark and moody stealth game reboot that's rough around the edges--not an open-world thief simulator or a pacifier for Thief purists. I'm having fun with it, even though the world DOES feel a bit too artificial. A buddy of mine likes it, but he seems to struggle with his addiction to bonking everyone on the head or the idea of avoiding contact with would-be hostiles. Subtlety is NOT his forte. Oh well--I'm digging it, but it is most definitely a STEALTH GAME--not the latest and greatest example of interactive immersion. Oh, and never forget: metacritic scores DO NOT MEAN ANYTHING. Cheers. Expand
  38. Mar 12, 2014
    I wasn't expecting much from Thief actually. In general I think it's fun. Story is normal not fancy and not bad. Ability to customize difficulty is definitely something I liked.
    Interesting use of shadows. You can approach your goal using different ways and paths.
    The game also shares for elements from games like Splinter Cell. In Splinter Cell: Black list the game was tracking your play style. Basically you have 3 play styles. Same thing with Thief. You have similar play styles. And they are 3.
    Although the game doesn't really encourage you to go and start firing arrows at everyone in open combat, it does allow you to engage combat in case you are spotted and there is no way out but fighting. But there is always a way out without fighting anyway :)
    However I do have my take on new-gen release. There is necessary load time between different maps/locations in the city or during a mission. In PS4 & XBox One I don't think this is acceptable for small game like Thief. I compare thief to large games like GTAV that hardly had loading time while playing in massive open world map. And GTAV was on last-gen consoles.
    Now in new-gen consoles having this loading screens while moving between different areas of the map is totally annoying because you know that you have the power to avoid that.
    I think Thief deserves something between 6.5 and 7.5 out of 10. So I think I will give it 7
  39. Feb 28, 2014
    As a huge fan of stealth games, I can only recommend this to the most devout or starved fans of the genre. While the game is functional, there is nothing to really recommend it for multiple playthroughs. And when held to some of it's contemporaries (most notably Dishonored), the game falls flat. Fans of the Thief series should stay away, and I can only recommend this game to peopleAs a huge fan of stealth games, I can only recommend this to the most devout or starved fans of the genre. While the game is functional, there is nothing to really recommend it for multiple playthroughs. And when held to some of it's contemporaries (most notably Dishonored), the game falls flat. Fans of the Thief series should stay away, and I can only recommend this game to people looking to polish out there game collections, or those willing to wait for the price drop. Not terrible, but not much good. Expand
  40. Jul 27, 2014
    Thief is the first truly unremarkable game that I've played on my next generation console. There are things to like about this game, such as the way the story is told. People have said that this game reminds them of Dishonored and in that regard I have to say that the story here is told in a much more slick and engaging fashion. However, where as Dishonored completely nailed it withThief is the first truly unremarkable game that I've played on my next generation console. There are things to like about this game, such as the way the story is told. People have said that this game reminds them of Dishonored and in that regard I have to say that the story here is told in a much more slick and engaging fashion. However, where as Dishonored completely nailed it with gameplay and atmosphere, Thief completely falls flat! It's not a bad game per say but its one that I can't recommend. Expand
  41. Mar 10, 2014
    A game that barely lives up to the expectations of a classic Thief fan, though as a difficult stealth game, a blast to play through.
    The voice acting of Thief is banal, and is most apparent with Garret's voice actor that does not convey emotion well, as does the rest of the cast.
    Characters are underutilized, especially Madam Zhao Zhao, who I was expecting to play and important role in the story, but only makes it for a couple of letters and cut scene in which she/he didn't even get to interact with Garret.
    The villains are laughably evil, aside from the Baron , who at least has a bit of characterization with his motives.

Gameplay is extremely tense at times, but controller snapping frustrating, especially the very much out of place two final boss battles at the end which are almost impossible if you were to collect all loot without being detected.
    Levels are unoriginal most of the time, aside from the excellent Bank Heist mission, which has been taken out for a preorder bonus.
    Though the game is just good, it is very uneven and a clusterf**k. For every positive, there is a negative holding it back.
  42. Feb 28, 2014
    This game looked meh, to begin with. The only reason brought it is because I am a PS4 owner and it is the only new game out at the moment. I thought it would tide me over until Infamous second son. Well no its on ebay already. The game oozes with just average everything, game-play, story. So just be patient and get a game that is worth your time.
  43. Mar 3, 2014
    ot a overall bad game, but it is short and not really developed as much as they hyped it up to be. The depth of the game is something that really bugged me because they really was not as much depth as I was expecting. Overall scores:
    -Gameplay: 6/10
    -smoothness: 7/10
    -Story: 6/10
    -depth: 5/10
    -controls: 5/10
    -appearance: 7/10
    -over all: 5.5/10
  44. Mar 1, 2014
    This game is a perfect example of how we should not consider great returns to the golden ages of gaming as something good. I played it with my friend who bought himself a collectors edition. Even with all the amazing grafics on xbox one or ps4 this game is just in the middle. it has some good moemnts but sadly more of them will make yoy turn your console and never come back to it. ThereThis game is a perfect example of how we should not consider great returns to the golden ages of gaming as something good. I played it with my friend who bought himself a collectors edition. Even with all the amazing grafics on xbox one or ps4 this game is just in the middle. it has some good moemnts but sadly more of them will make yoy turn your console and never come back to it. There are still series other than Thief that will propably be considered to be made into a reboot. This is a perfect example that not everything that's shining is gold. Expand
  45. Feb 27, 2014
    At times this is an absolute mess, but others it's fantastic. This is a true stealth game, so do not go into this expecting anything else. Sneaking around corners / roof tops / guttering is heaps of fun, as is trying to get as much loot without being noticed. But there are times when it's a glitchy mess, I noticed frame rate drops to single digits when opening some windows, other times npcAt times this is an absolute mess, but others it's fantastic. This is a true stealth game, so do not go into this expecting anything else. Sneaking around corners / roof tops / guttering is heaps of fun, as is trying to get as much loot without being noticed. But there are times when it's a glitchy mess, I noticed frame rate drops to single digits when opening some windows, other times npc communications were talking over the top of a cinematic cut scene. Then there's the open world... What a confusing maze of alleys... Trying to find something only to run into a wall that you can't go around our through is hideously frustrating. Gameplay is great but fundamentally this feels glitchy, unfinished and st points unplayable. Expand
  46. Mar 4, 2014
    After playing it, I have to say that "Thief" is a good and funny stealth game but nothing more. It´s so sad, that you as a player see so much mistakes during the game which could be erased by a little more polishing. I hope that the creators get another chance to deliver a fantastic sequel.

+ Stealth parts, atmosphere, story
    - Level design, AI, Graphics (next-gen)
  47. Mar 10, 2014
    I read the early reviews and ignored some frustrating aspects about this game. But on the ps4, above par graphics, and an emotional tie to the missing heroine compels me to keep playing. Good stealth title if you treat it as one. The only real payoff of streaming is that you get to stare at your treasures.
  48. Mar 10, 2014
    This game did a really good job of making me feel like a thief and got me into the stealth genre. You can choose how to handle each mission which made me feel like I had a sense of control. However the load times when the game switches from area to area were kinda long it made Thief feel like it came out a couple years ago instead of a few weeks.
  49. Mar 11, 2014
    One must not even mention the fact that it is a Thief game... It is not. It shares almost no similarities with the originals except for some story elements, locations and certain Easter eggs. The game is simply a first person stealth game, hardcore at that, but generic. Garret is poorly voiced, as are many other characters... Especially Orion, who is disappointingly the weakest of theOne must not even mention the fact that it is a Thief game... It is not. It shares almost no similarities with the originals except for some story elements, locations and certain Easter eggs. The game is simply a first person stealth game, hardcore at that, but generic. Garret is poorly voiced, as are many other characters... Especially Orion, who is disappointingly the weakest of the cast. The best of the characters would be Elias Northcrest, the villain of the game, because at least he has motives... Everyone else does not, and they only do things because the story requires them to, such as the woefully undermined character of Thaddeus, or the Thief Taker General... A character who is one dimensional, and is unrealistically cold and ruthless, as goes the rest of the cast.
    Disappointing are the side characters, such as Madam Zhao Zhao, who could have been a fascinating and unique ally to Garret, and they most definitely advertised her before release... Only to make it for a single cut scene, where she didn't even get the chance to interact with Garret.
    The game ends poorly and abruptly, with two VERY out of place boss sequences. None of the characters evolve, or change... They all end up where they started. This is with stark contrast to Thief 3, in which Garret's character (Stephen Russel) ends by maturing, releasing his fate and seeks to become the "True Keeper".
    The only sections of the game that felt remotely like a Thief game were in fact the levels which were based around the original game's factions, such as the abandoned cathedral and the hidden library. The themes are all wrong, there was no tension (except for a horror level akin to the Shalebbridge Cradle from Thief 3) and all menace was gone.

The game is surprisingly linear, only two-three levels are actually open ended and large, but very unoriginal. The one level, which was easily the greatest in terms of design and theme was The Bank Heist, which was a thrill to ghost through. The rest of the levels offer only one or two ways in, and small spaces in which to avoid the AI.
    The removal of a classic jump button, rope arrows being streamlined and a objective marker are the worst mistakes that they made in terms of gameplay, and the rest of the game topples with the removal of these options.

The game quickly improves with the Custom Difficulty setting, in which it makes the game much better and you are able to make the game feel somewhat like the originals. The open world City sections are poorly implemented, with small areas in which to explore and a horrible map. How the game expects you to remember all of the locations of the original levels, I have no idea.

There are some positive things, such as many side quests to do, interesting writing with Client Jobs, lighting is excellent, the swoop is excellently fun, and focus mode is optional.

Positives:
    Swoop is awesome.
    Side quests/Client jobs are funny and are a great divergent.
    Custom Difficulty Settings!
    Challenge modes!
    AI is intelligent on Master.
    The Graven were a fascinating faction.

Negatives:
    The Story is bland.
    The structure of the City is horrible.
    Too many load times.
    Over simplification of multiple things.
    Levels are very much linear.
    Underutilized and one dimensional characters.

OVERALL: 7
  50. Mar 21, 2014
    It's a good game but the world and its stories are poorly realised meaning your time is mainly spent going through the motions. A little more thought on the story and side quests could have saved it from some nasty backlash from long time fans, but it's still worth your money for an alternative stealth-em-up till Metal Gear 5.
  51. Mar 21, 2014
    Thinking of buying this? There is a reason why most have given it 6 to 7.

Its not the best game in the world, and not even the best game in what is a very limited and disappointing choice of game so far on the PS4. At the same time its certainly not worst, il try and sum up the good and bad. lets start with the graphics, i don't really know how anyone can fault this, the lighting is
    Thinking of buying this? There is a reason why most have given it 6 to 7.

lets start with the graphics, i don't really know how anyone can fault this, the lighting is superb and the city genuinely does look fantastic. Now speaking of the city, yes it does look pretty but it feels like its always a touch away, By that I mean you cant explore all the city the way you would like as alot of it eats up time with the loading and other parts just cant be accessed.

The story is not as bad as some make out and neither are the characters. I actually thought the voice acting was good in general but the ending is out of the blue and the game finished way to soon.

There were many parts in this game I really enjoyed but there just wasn't enough. The side missions were very bare to say the least and there isnt much play back appeal.

Over all, despite all its faults, it is a fun game in chunks and if you dont expect a masterpiece then you will get a decent weekend out of this one but no more.
  52. Mar 23, 2014
    I did enjoy this, technically an impressive game in some nice environments but maybe moreso as my first real taste of next gen dazzle! ..however once the crappy ending arrived it dawned on me yes; stories in games are indeed now almost as important a feat as the gameplay and build. I am as caught between a 6 or 7 as most!
  53. May 9, 2014
    Thief is entertaining enough for a play through but that's about it, I couldn't see myself going through it anymore than once. The game gives you the option to stay hidden but isn't absolutely necessary I usually went in clubs swinging but that's my style. Thief has a very odd closed off feeling like making you go through a random window to go to the next area. The story was entertainingThief is entertaining enough for a play through but that's about it, I couldn't see myself going through it anymore than once. The game gives you the option to stay hidden but isn't absolutely necessary I usually went in clubs swinging but that's my style. Thief has a very odd closed off feeling like making you go through a random window to go to the next area. The story was entertaining enough to make me want to know what was next and that was enough to make me complete a play through. Expand
  54. May 24, 2014
    Finishing the game was a chore, not because it wasn't fun but, because the story was boring. Usually for me the story is the most important part in a game but, at times like this I have to look past the story aspect of a game to really see what was good. The best part of this game was level design and gameplay. First off the level design in the game was phenomenal, at one point in the gameFinishing the game was a chore, not because it wasn't fun but, because the story was boring. Usually for me the story is the most important part in a game but, at times like this I have to look past the story aspect of a game to really see what was good. The best part of this game was level design and gameplay. First off the level design in the game was phenomenal, at one point in the game had to stop and look at the beauty of the amount of detail, specifically the brothel level covered in tapestries, curtains and beautiful furniture. But even better was the gameplay, Thief has some of the best gameplay in a game in recent years. Stealth in this game can be intense and rewarding. The feeling you get after finishing a level all stealth is the best!

That's all I can really say because I didn't even finish it because the long loading times and boring story turned me against it.
  55. Jun 7, 2014
    First of all, Thief is not a bad game. It's just not the best stealth game ever. After playing it, I played the very first Thief game from back in the game, and thought it was excellent. The new Thief reboot is definitely a great game, but doesn't quite live up to the name of the original.
    One of the pros that Thief has is definitely it's story. Since I haven't played the other Thief games, I couldn't tell if this was a sequel, but i was intrigued by Thiefs characters, especially Erin.
    Also, the game looks beautiful. It's very rare in the game that you will have the pleasure of being able to see daylight, but when you do, you'll be sad when the game switches back to night time.Sure nighttime still looks good, but it's nothing like darkness in games like Watch Dogs.
    Now to the cons. One thing that Thief added that wasn't really needed was the time it took you to get to the start of a new mission. It should've gone straight to the next mission, and it feels downright unnecessary when playing, unless you want to rob an apartment on the way there.
    Also, the AI seems really unpolished. While playing the second mission, I shot a guard with a sharp arrow, and he said "I think I heard something." Plus, they are frequently glitchy. As another example, I was hiding behing a cart, and a guard walked behind it, and he couldn't see me. I restarted, and he saw me from a mile away when I returned.
    So Thief isn't a bad game, but if you didn't like the first few Thief games, you won't like this one any better.
  56. Jun 13, 2014
    Boring and fun to play at the same time!

Graphics: the graphics are cool here,building designs,streets and the atmosphere every thing looks well designed and polished. 9/10 Soundtrack: The soundtrack is cool tool and it brings nice music to your ears 10/10 Story: The Story here is simple here and it doesn't give you enough excitement. After being uncounscious for a year,
    Boring and fun to play at the same time!

Graphics:

Soundtrack:
    The soundtrack is cool tool and it brings nice music to your ears

Story:
    The Story here is simple here and it doesn't give you enough excitement.
    After being uncounscious for a year, Garrett awakens and learns that the city is being plagued by a disease of unknown origin known as "The Gloom" and the Baron had put the city in lock down because of it.Garret helps his friend Brasso and another guy named Orion to rid the city of this gloom.

Sound Effects:
    The sound effects in the game are really bad they did the less work on it you can barley hear the bad optimized effects through the game sometimes you'll never here them however the acting voices were nice and well done.

Gameplay:
    The gameplay gets old and repetitive by the pass of time doing the same things over and over
    Jumping,Lock picking,Stealing and killing or taking down enemies are all used in the game nothing more.

as a new Thief comer i say i had fun playing trough this game but in the same time i had got bored in some parts of the game.

rent it or get it at a low price because it's worth playing but not worth paying much.
  57. Jul 21, 2014
    Not very innovative, but a decent stealth game overall. The best part about the game is being able to steal anything you want and you truly feel like a thief. During missions the level design can be very linear and straightforward at times. However, you are rewarded for finding hidden secrets and solving puzzles. It's a simple yet fun action-stealth game but it does have its flaws. 7.5/10
  58. Nov 21, 2014
    SquareEnix fixed art style of many old franchise, also with Thief.
    Graphics are poor, cutscenes runs at 10fps, unimportant story.
    Stealth is cool but the real star of game is art and atmosphere.
  59. Nov 19, 2014
    Game is fun at first the campaign started off good and then dropped off to ok, it's still a good game don't get me wrong but, some of these flaws just kinda ruin the experience. The combat system bad, sometimes you can't even walk off a ledge, and sometimes when Garret dies his voice cracks to the point you question if he turns into a girl during death. Stealing stuff is pretty fun thoughGame is fun at first the campaign started off good and then dropped off to ok, it's still a good game don't get me wrong but, some of these flaws just kinda ruin the experience. The combat system bad, sometimes you can't even walk off a ledge, and sometimes when Garret dies his voice cracks to the point you question if he turns into a girl during death. Stealing stuff is pretty fun though its just this game suffers a few flaws Expand
  60. Mar 26, 2015
    At first I was a little disappointed (enjoyed the Original Thief PC & have been looking for it to recapture the same amount of enjoyment). Then gradually the game started flowing better. I have to agree with others that it’s a solid 7.5 – 7.9 rating. If you are a “Hulk-Smash” kind of guy, this game isn’t for you. Like the name entails you move in the shadows and ‘avoid’ rather thanAt first I was a little disappointed (enjoyed the Original Thief PC & have been looking for it to recapture the same amount of enjoyment). Then gradually the game started flowing better. I have to agree with others that it’s a solid 7.5 – 7.9 rating. If you are a “Hulk-Smash” kind of guy, this game isn’t for you. Like the name entails you move in the shadows and ‘avoid’ rather than ‘confront & kill’. Haven’t tried any add-ons yet, but overall a ‘good’ time. Expand
  61. Sep 29, 2015
    Thief is a supernatural stealth game from a franchise that has been around for quite some time. I have never played a Thief game before this one and from what I hear old school Thief games are much more difficult. So this is a more modernized and accessible game for people who would like to start trying out older Thief games. Personally, I really enjoyed this game for what it was. TheThief is a supernatural stealth game from a franchise that has been around for quite some time. I have never played a Thief game before this one and from what I hear old school Thief games are much more difficult. So this is a more modernized and accessible game for people who would like to start trying out older Thief games. Personally, I really enjoyed this game for what it was. The graphics are quite nice but suffer from pop in from time to time and minor clipping issues. The controls for the most part are solid but can be fidgety at times when you're rushed or sometimes may cause you to fall to your death if you're not paying attention. The game has RPG elements with upgrading your gear and abilities with gold you loot from places and Focus points you get from either finding hidden symbols or buying them straight up from the Queen of Beggars (I think is her name). There are about 30 side quests with 8 Chapters in the game. The locations are well designed and look great giving that steampunk look to the City. The sound design is also pretty well done, sometimes making the game feel like you're being watched in certain areas. Now to the voice acting, it's good for the most part except for the damn audio bugs that tend to happen occasionally. Like the infamous "what's a third offense get you?" bug. It's hilarious but very immersion breaking. Another thing I didn't like was the backtracking within the City, I got quite familiar with the loading screens. The combat in the game is doable but I don't recommend it because if you're surrounded by a bunch of enemies you're more than likely to die. That being said, that's why this is pretty much a pure stealth game at it's core. The story is ok for the most part, nothing groundbreaking. I enjoyed the Thief-Taker General's character but ended up not enjoying Erin's character so much. Just found her to be annoying most of the game. There are plenty of collectibles and hidden areas to be found in the game so keep your eyes peeled all the time. Thief is a good game that feels unpolished but holds alot of content for completionists. It's a worthy stealth game to add to your collection. Expand
  62. Jan 20, 2017
    I like action-stealth games and this one too. You can choose a style of the game. Thief has an acceptable variability in gameplay. In my opinion this game is really good. But old Thiefs is more better.

1. Mar 26, 2014
    The biggest problem for this game is every stealth game that has come since Thief: the Dark Project. Thief can’t match the visual flair and supernatural powers of Dishonored. It doesn’t have the lean efficiency and murderous creativity of the Hitman series; it trails the razor’s edge stealth and gadget lust of Splinter Cell; it lacks the vision and bombast of the Metal Gear series. Hell, it doesn’t even have a very good thief.
  2. Mar 21, 2014
    The return of the master thief Garrett is a mixed bag. Thief builds on its series proud heritage of tactile stealth, focusing on realism but loses some of the way to modern design trends. Thief has some unnecessary padding that smooth out the gameplay as well as some cinematic ambitions that do not reach all the way. Above all, it is plagued by qualitative valleys that appear to be a result of a stressed launch. Nevertheless, Thief gets a weak recommendation because the basic formula is still fun and somewhat unique.
  3. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Mar 18, 2014
    A nail-biting experience needing a few more coats of polish to stand out. [April 2014, p76]