Thief PlayStation 4

6.3

1. Jan 20, 2017
    I like action-stealth games and this one too. You can choose a style of the game. Thief has an acceptable variability in gameplay. In my opinion this game is really good. But old Thiefs is more better.
  2. Aug 16, 2016
    Thief is a stealth video game developed by Eidos Montreal, published by Square Enix.

+ Good Stealth Mechanics
    - Frequent Load Screens
    - Bland Characters
    - Bad Story
  3. Apr 17, 2016
    Imagine yourself playing this at 4 AM in the morning, running around stealing scissors and hitting guards in the head. When you think to yourself 'Why not continue on with the story?' And you do, untill you reach Chapter 5 and get nightmares for weeks.
  4. Jan 15, 2016
    It's like the designers of the game don't want you to find quest waypoints and other markets. there is no **** clue how to get anywhere and maps are locked in themselves. It's stupid and frustrating. The lock combination on the big safe was also a horrible design choice. It's obvious creators of this game have no taste, or they flat out didn't care.
  5. Nov 24, 2015
    I really love this game, the way you can sneak around and steal things from people, opening peoples windows sneaking in and stealing things and hoping that you wont be seen is a really amazing thing and I love it. You get the feeling of being a real master thief and I enjoyed every single bit of it.
    Love the atmosphere in this game and the graphics are beautifull.
    I didnt really like the
    Love the atmosphere in this game and the graphics are beautifull.
    I didnt really like the horror parts in this game, but that's because I am bit of a chicken when it comes to this. I love horror games but I dont dare to play them, and if I buy a game where it turns out that there is a bit horror to it I always catch myself saying "why me?", but well sometimes you have to challenge yourself :) I bet it's not the scariest you can play, but some parts of this game creeped my out, but again I am not a hardcore horror gamer so I guess some horror gamers would laugh at me if I told them this :)

But after all it's a good solid game, I havent played the previous Thief games, but I like it enough to give at least an 8 score :)
  6. Oct 24, 2015
    I'm a long time Thief fan and this game isn't what I hoped, but I still enjoyed it for what it is. The exploration is spot on in the city hub and side missions with plenty of loot and secret areas to find and quite frankly that's where the game shines for me, because you feel like a true thief outside of the main missions. The main missions while mostly decent, are not the high light,I'm a long time Thief fan and this game isn't what I hoped, but I still enjoyed it for what it is. The exploration is spot on in the city hub and side missions with plenty of loot and secret areas to find and quite frankly that's where the game shines for me, because you feel like a true thief outside of the main missions. The main missions while mostly decent, are not the high light, which is a strange thing to say. The art style and atmosphere is also top notch here. I recommend this game for stealth fans and fans of games with immersive worlds. Expand
  7. Sep 29, 2015
    Thief is a supernatural stealth game from a franchise that has been around for quite some time. I have never played a Thief game before this one and from what I hear old school Thief games are much more difficult. So this is a more modernized and accessible game for people who would like to start trying out older Thief games. Personally, I really enjoyed this game for what it was. TheThief is a supernatural stealth game from a franchise that has been around for quite some time. I have never played a Thief game before this one and from what I hear old school Thief games are much more difficult. So this is a more modernized and accessible game for people who would like to start trying out older Thief games. Personally, I really enjoyed this game for what it was. The graphics are quite nice but suffer from pop in from time to time and minor clipping issues. The controls for the most part are solid but can be fidgety at times when you're rushed or sometimes may cause you to fall to your death if you're not paying attention. The game has RPG elements with upgrading your gear and abilities with gold you loot from places and Focus points you get from either finding hidden symbols or buying them straight up from the Queen of Beggars (I think is her name). There are about 30 side quests with 8 Chapters in the game. The locations are well designed and look great giving that steampunk look to the City. The sound design is also pretty well done, sometimes making the game feel like you're being watched in certain areas. Now to the voice acting, it's good for the most part except for the damn audio bugs that tend to happen occasionally. Like the infamous "what's a third offense get you?" bug. It's hilarious but very immersion breaking. Another thing I didn't like was the backtracking within the City, I got quite familiar with the loading screens. The combat in the game is doable but I don't recommend it because if you're surrounded by a bunch of enemies you're more than likely to die. That being said, that's why this is pretty much a pure stealth game at it's core. The story is ok for the most part, nothing groundbreaking. I enjoyed the Thief-Taker General's character but ended up not enjoying Erin's character so much. Just found her to be annoying most of the game. There are plenty of collectibles and hidden areas to be found in the game so keep your eyes peeled all the time. Thief is a good game that feels unpolished but holds alot of content for completionists. It's a worthy stealth game to add to your collection. Expand
  8. Aug 23, 2015
    I wasn't entirely sure what I thought about this game. It has some decent high notes in it. The stealth aspect was fun, the stealing itself was enjoyable, the levels were well thought out, and the atmosphere was dark and dreary and that made me quite happy. I had enough fun with these things that I'm giving it a relatively average score, because the downsides of this game were striking.I wasn't entirely sure what I thought about this game. It has some decent high notes in it. The stealth aspect was fun, the stealing itself was enjoyable, the levels were well thought out, and the atmosphere was dark and dreary and that made me quite happy. I had enough fun with these things that I'm giving it a relatively average score, because the downsides of this game were striking.

The story itself was mundane, and that's a major thing for me in games. The protagonist was... well, lame. I think they were going for an anti-hero thing but he ended up just being uninteresting. He didn't seem to have any discernible personality beyond stealing things and brooding and I'm still confused about his actual motivation through the game. I think his motivation might actually have just been to steal stuff. He did say at one point when asked about it "It's who I am" which is the kind of dumb answer you'd expect from a teenager after getting an ugly tattoo on their face, not from a middle-aged man who's seen the ugliest side of life up close and personal. So no hook there. The climax of the game felt very lacking as well. Our villain didn't play a strong role and I saw him coming from a mile away, and our damsel was just there to provide some personal motivation to our middle-aged teen. It all just felt very lackluster.

And then there's the combat. I like the option of being a murderous backstabby little thing in my stealth games but that just wasn't here. Not only could you not kill people, but when you did fight it felt like clubbing a snowman to death. They'd react to your initial hit and then to none of the subsequent ones until their animation was done. Clunky doesn't begin to describe it.

And, the biggest gripe for me was the Thieftaker General. He did fine as an antagonist, but that bloke popped up everywhere. At the end of every level he was somehow there to remind me that he existed. The worst was when I found a secret room in a building that was on fire and under siege and he somehow showed up to step on my fingers and glare at me.

P.S. Note to game designers. It is bad form to set me up as a super-stealthy master thief only to have me be discovered by cutscene.
  9. May 5, 2015
    Thief was a disappointment. Lets get things started with the high notes. Thief does really well at making interesting and enjoyable stealth sections. It feels smooth and is never to unfair with its detection's (However I do feel like when ever you are in the dark you a are basically invisible to the guards) One of the best new features is the "swoop" Clicking "x" will allow you to swoopThief was a disappointment. Lets get things started with the high notes. Thief does really well at making interesting and enjoyable stealth sections. It feels smooth and is never to unfair with its detection's (However I do feel like when ever you are in the dark you a are basically invisible to the guards) One of the best new features is the "swoop" Clicking "x" will allow you to swoop across the environment. Allowing you to quickly get through tricky situations. From almost getting sandwiched by guards to dashing though a light source it has many uses. The focus meter however I feel is annoying. Due to the reason I think it takes out the enjoyment of the games atmosphere. The focus meter lets you know where loot is and secret passages. I played not using this feature, I only used it when I was stumped on what to due. However it is a nice option for people who are new to the thief games, or stealth games altogether. The stealth mechanics are really well made....... but. Everything else falls flat one its face. The graphics while pretty good has a lot of technical issues. A lot of pop in and some textures look plain ugly. The cut scenes bring out the technical issues even more. Lip syncing is horrendous. Lets now talk bought the story. Its a complete mess. First off Garet is so uninteresting. He shows no personality and no reason to care bought him. Same could be said bought a lot of people in the story. No one sticks out or seems to have any interesting characters. The story is not what the trailers said it would be. It looked like Garet would be a robin hood charter working with the poor trying to take back the city. It had some steam punk elements, I was so excited for this. However its not any of those things. Its a supernatural thriller that has no interesting moments. The poor trying to take back thee city is a side story. Pushed away when it looks a lot more interesting. If they focused on that it could have been a pretty good story. Lets wrap this up with a few more complaints and comments. The open world is clunky and polluted with loading screens. It is also super clunky to move around it, since the "parkour" is clunky. One neat feature is the custom difficulty option. This was fun to mess around with and made playing it again a bit more tolerable. Final thoughts, Thief is an odd game. The stealth is amazing however it somehow crept into a horrible story and odd design choices. I only recommend if you are a big thief fan are super hungry for some good stealth game play. It is around 30 bucks on the PS store, wait for a sale for it then pick it up if you are a fan or want some stealth game play. It goes for like 10 bucks on sale so just wait this one out.
    Positives

Uninteresting characters
    Clunky game design
    Technical issues
  10. Apr 28, 2015
    If you're looking for a good, modern game about thieving, Thief is the game for you. If you're looking for a carbon copy of the original Thief games, play the original Thief games.
  11. Apr 5, 2015
    I don't know why this game has gotten such a rotten average - I had great fun playing it and I felt like it lived up to my expectations from the last Thief game (which set them pretty high), even surpassed them!

I found the story compelling, and the levels were well-balanced in difficulty, varied and memorable. (Perhaps especially the asylum level which rivals The Cradle level from Thief 3 for scariest game level ever.)

There was also a lot to explore (and steal) in-between missions which really extended the playing time for me. I was constantly blown away by how much stuff there was to discover by climbing and sneaking around on rooftops and in alleyways.

Overall it was really difficult to put down, I kept thinking "just one more mission", which to me makes a really great game.
  12. Mar 26, 2015
    At first I was a little disappointed (enjoyed the Original Thief PC & have been looking for it to recapture the same amount of enjoyment). Then gradually the game started flowing better. I have to agree with others that it’s a solid 7.5 – 7.9 rating. If you are a “Hulk-Smash” kind of guy, this game isn’t for you. Like the name entails you move in the shadows and ‘avoid’ rather thanAt first I was a little disappointed (enjoyed the Original Thief PC & have been looking for it to recapture the same amount of enjoyment). Then gradually the game started flowing better. I have to agree with others that it’s a solid 7.5 – 7.9 rating. If you are a “Hulk-Smash” kind of guy, this game isn’t for you. Like the name entails you move in the shadows and ‘avoid’ rather than ‘confront & kill’. Haven’t tried any add-ons yet, but overall a ‘good’ time. Expand
  13. Mar 23, 2015
    This game was so much fun that I have since bought a PS3 and a PS4 for myself. (I was playing on my SO's machine.) This game basically got me back into playing video games - I haven't owned a console since the PS2 and gamecube were new.

(I do wish I could have skipped the asylum level because it scared me ... but YMMV.)

I hope to see a sequel out soon.
  14. Mar 8, 2015
    I can't recommend this game. Half of it is interesting and well done, but the cutscenes don't connect to the gameplay well, they are poorly animated, and the main character is boring. The voice acting is mediocre and Garrett appears to not care at all about anything that happens in the whole game which makes it hard as a player to enjoy it.
  15. Jan 29, 2015
    10? 9? 8? HOW? How can you give this **** game such high scores?

10? 9? 8? HOW? How can you give this **** game such high scores?

The AI in this game is so dumb, since you can just stand in front of them, right next to a light source, and it will take them 5 seconds to fully understand that an enemy is standing there. I also hate the combat. It's buggy and glitchy. When enemies chase you, and you can hide, they'll eventually completely forget about you, and it will again take them 5 seconds to fully understand that you're standing right in front of their stupid faces. What bothers me is that smoke and flash have such little effect. You'll never find a situation in the game where you'll need smoke or flash. Which makes it even more boring.

The city is just so dead. I know it's always night, but I just can't stand the small areas with a loading screen ever 2 minutes. Isn't a next-gen console or a pc supposed to render much more at once? Random citizens are just standing there, not even talking to each other, or reacting at you being there and doing parkouring. Because it's something they'd expect every day... Huh?

The game plays terrible. I don't know what frame rate it is on, but it's not 60 FPS. And I don't understand how? There is nothing going on on the screen, so why no 60 FPS? Or atleast it doesn't feel like it.

I wouldn't recommend this. This is a poor excuse for a stealth game. Even a game in general, since it has nothing special to offer that makes it unique in it's genre.
  16. Jan 8, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game is overall fine, if it was a ps2 game, the graphics and models could ed be more polished, the combat is pain, PAIN. The storyline is not terrible, but unmemorable and the boss fights are just UNFAIR and CRUEL. Filled with bugs that made the immersion of the game completely dead this game should NEVER be sold at a higher price than 20$. The only thing that makes this game worth it is the awesome inventory,
    the great art design and the stealth mechanic (which BTW it was already perfected in other games).

If you want to give this game a shot do it, but only if you found it at a cheap price
  17. Jan 4, 2015
    i really have no idea how does games gets the approval of director / producer to be release or simply just meet the deadlines set by publisher... rushed ending which i'm still clueless at what it really means...an obvious setup for sequel but i doubt it will receive the funding for it. this would have been a hit if done with care or more budget? disappointing thru n thru.

Graphics just

Graphics
    just look to have better resolution texture and astonishing poorly optimised cutscenes, do they even watch/play it?

Art Direction
    simply boring, it just look unpolished and it's like a demo for more funding

Gameplay
    iits a pity as if they simply copy some of dishonoured and call it the "Thief" way. nothing innovative and the pathetic focus vision used by almost every other game.

Best moments
    Chapter 5, totally came out of nowhere and unexpectedly effective but it doesn't blend with the game Thief at all. Wasted attempt, what a pity.
  18. Jan 1, 2015
    I had to really push myself through this game the further I got into it. The graphics look really nice, the scenery is good, and the stealth system is fantastic. Even though a tiny shadow can completely hide you from a guard that is ten feet away, but I can't think of any stealth game that doesn't do this, so I'll give it a pass. The problem is that it is very repetitive. Every mission isI had to really push myself through this game the further I got into it. The graphics look really nice, the scenery is good, and the stealth system is fantastic. Even though a tiny shadow can completely hide you from a guard that is ten feet away, but I can't think of any stealth game that doesn't do this, so I'll give it a pass. The problem is that it is very repetitive. Every mission is pretty much the same thing. I started off the game going as slowly as I could, carefully checking every corner, but I later found out that you could just as easily run through everything as guards have a hard time keeping up with you and stop their pursuit after you reach a checkpoint. The only reason to not do this is because of the collectibles, which do little more than sit on your shelf in your safe house. The story is okay, but I didn't like the main character, or any character for that matter. Expand
  19. Dec 22, 2014
    Its fun at the beggining but half way through you see its all the same all the time. no challenge because you can just run away. The boss fights are the most idiotic ideas anyone had for a game. its a stealth game with boss battles. Worst boss battles ever in a game. Youre better off renting it for a couple of days than buying it. DO NOT BUY IT YOU WILL REGRET IT!
  20. Dec 19, 2014
    Awkward mechanics, on rails for most of the game, strange tutorial for my first Thief game. By the time the tutorial was done I was convinced I hated the game.
  21. Dec 18, 2014
    If im honest I'm really confused by so many positive reviews! The game glitches, the voice acting is poor, the storyline is beige and I found the game in general to be dull and inconsistent. The problem is that Dishonoured came first and despite being on an older console - there is no question about which I'd prefur to play.
  22. Nov 22, 2014
    To be honest this game isn't the best, there was little to no combat so when u get seen, you are pretty much forced to run away for some time until you lose them. Also, bad voice acting kinda ruined my experience with the game. There was only really 1 memorable chapter.
  23. Nov 21, 2014
    SquareEnix fixed art style of many old franchise, also with Thief.
    Graphics are poor, cutscenes runs at 10fps, unimportant story.
    Stealth is cool but the real star of game is art and atmosphere.
  24. Nov 19, 2014
    Game is fun at first the campaign started off good and then dropped off to ok, it's still a good game don't get me wrong but, some of these flaws just kinda ruin the experience. The combat system bad, sometimes you can't even walk off a ledge, and sometimes when Garret dies his voice cracks to the point you question if he turns into a girl during death. Stealing stuff is pretty fun thoughGame is fun at first the campaign started off good and then dropped off to ok, it's still a good game don't get me wrong but, some of these flaws just kinda ruin the experience. The combat system bad, sometimes you can't even walk off a ledge, and sometimes when Garret dies his voice cracks to the point you question if he turns into a girl during death. Stealing stuff is pretty fun though its just this game suffers a few flaws Expand
  25. Nov 3, 2014
    Thief would have been a great game 10 years ago. The gameplay and graphics are extremely outdated and the whole thing feels like an alpha build of Dishonoured. There is nothing enticing within the game to keep you playing, don't believe the apologists.
  26. Oct 22, 2014
    First I will tell for who exactly this game is for, and then if you're not that person do not play the game or rate it and write a review. This is a very particular kind of stealth game with the same mechanics as the games 10 years old. Meaning that waiting, and looking for walking patterns are important. It is the same kind of as SCPT, SCCT, First hitmans, and of course thief 3 ( IFirst I will tell for who exactly this game is for, and then if you're not that person do not play the game or rate it and write a review. This is a very particular kind of stealth game with the same mechanics as the games 10 years old. Meaning that waiting, and looking for walking patterns are important. It is the same kind of as SCPT, SCCT, First hitmans, and of course thief 3 ( I haven't played first and second, due to the age of it, because I am not of those hardcore gamers who can somehow get into game which looks ridiculously old and technically flawed). Therefore if you enjoyed those games, and had fun finishing levels without enemy being aware that you ever been there, you will definitely like thief, if however you haven't enjoyed those games, I recommend you don't bother with the game as it is not intended to play any other way that stealthily. Patience is rewarded here, cumbersomeness of melee combat purposely pushes you to avoid it.

The levels have usually though not always few points of entry. Overall level design is created for stealth play. There is a lot of detail to get you distracted while you're waiting for a guard to move.

Few mechanics could have been improved such such picking up objects, because it does take a lot of time, for example if you open up a chest your character will stand up opening it, then he will crouch again ( in that time you can not control it), and then you will need tu stand up again to pick up the items inside, which will again make him move, which takes unnecessary time.

Guards AI haven't improved since 2000s. Some of them have only one line which they will repeat over and over again, which is extremely annoying. Besides that sound seems good, I liked the ambient sounds in the city and during the missions, it does really manages to capture the atmosphere.

Story is just like in most games these days. It is just too much acting to many cinematics, etc. It's a game not a movie, even though the story was well acted in many games, it should not be the main purpose of the game in my opinion. You play the game for the sake that you discover everything. The story that you can overhear in the game from dialogues or monologues of people is what is great about thief, plus the text documents. That type of story telling lets you uncover the story, its down to you if you read it or not what happens in the city.

Now talking about the city itself once again in my opinion it is great, and I will tell you why. First thing first it is stealth game there fore you are not supposed to run and gun, no one supposed to see you, that is exactly why the architecture in city is designed for you to stay out of sight, and I have never seen such an interesting design of the world. Sure it is quite difficult at the beginning as it is quite big, but then you get familiar with it, because every place is unique. I wont be forgetting the flaws nevertheless. The loading times are ridiculous, this just like AI haven't improved since 2000s, I mean things like these are really unacceptable especially in 2013 where open world games with absolutely huge worlds have no loading time at all.

And for the last I wont be criticising the Thief fans who have lived their lives playing thief games and do not like this game at all, but I will just say to them that if they think they are obliged to get something, they can forget it. If you want to play game like thief 1 then play that game and don't complain about it. Games like SC or hitman are evolving with the generation (and that is why I stopped playing them because it does not deliver the same as first games), and its up to you to grow up or stay at the same level.

In conclusion this game is for hardcore stealth fans, as it was specifically was made for them (the custom difficulty (and retarded focus abilities, which I haven't even used) was added for more action oriented player and NOT the other way around!!!). Great executed game with a lot of technical flaws.

It gets 8
  27. Oct 18, 2014
    This is terrible. Graphics are nice but it just isn't fun. If I want to return a game within 24hrs then it deserves 0/10. Very, very linear. Boring gameplay. Sneaking mechanics are worse than other games that aren't sneaking based. Total crap.
  28. Oct 13, 2014
    Thief the re-boot. A game that suprised me. Don't know where all the hate and score below 6 come from. The other thing I don't understand is why people are comparing the game to Dishonred? Two different games in what they do. Dishonored is mostly about killing with the aspect of stealth. Thief is all about stealth and you know stealing. You're not a powerfull assasin with weapons but aThief the re-boot. A game that suprised me. Don't know where all the hate and score below 6 come from. The other thing I don't understand is why people are comparing the game to Dishonred? Two different games in what they do. Dishonored is mostly about killing with the aspect of stealth. Thief is all about stealth and you know stealing. You're not a powerfull assasin with weapons but a master thief and good bowman.
    The story is a re-boot of the series from the 90's. It lacks a bit of the complex of the first game but the stealth and stealing aspect is great. Story is good with some interesting twists. You have everything wht you want from Thief. Opening up chests and safes, stealing from people, avoiding guards in the shadow and sometimes striking from above or behind to take out an ususpecting guard. Unique lot to collect and inspect in your hideout. Interesting upgrade system.
    The best thing still is the custom difficulty level you can creat with points and ranking. You want no combat only stealth takedowns or maybe instant failure when you are spoted? Here you go this makes the game amazing and one more thing the save option. Save in any part of the world and missions.
    Lot of replay value, great graphics and all and all good game. Doesn't reinvent the genre but does a lot of things right.
    8 out of 10 for me. Got it for 15£ with The Heist DLC. Worth the money!
  29. Sep 18, 2014
    I was hoping this game would be a good stealth-action game, or kind of like Assassin's Creed. I was totally wrong.

The graphics are really bad. And the voice acting is even worse. Many characters do not display emotions or move their mouths accurately to correspond with the specific words. The controls were awful and the antithesis of fluid. Overall, it wasn't the worst game I have

Overall, it wasn't the worst game I have played, but I wouldn't recommend it.
  30. Aug 13, 2014
    Thief games have, as a habit, always been rough around the edges going all the way back to The Dark Project. Tasked with reviving a series that has been dormant for ten years, Eidos Montreal had a valiant first effort that largely succeeds. It's gorgeous, engaging, and fair. Not once did I ever feel like my failures were anyone but my fault, which is what one looks for in any game.Thief games have, as a habit, always been rough around the edges going all the way back to The Dark Project. Tasked with reviving a series that has been dormant for ten years, Eidos Montreal had a valiant first effort that largely succeeds. It's gorgeous, engaging, and fair. Not once did I ever feel like my failures were anyone but my fault, which is what one looks for in any game. Some of the refinements and changes for the series were for the better, including an approach of less ambiguity in HUD information and general grinding through missions for arbitrary loot totals. It's mired a bit by a muddled narrative and some repetitious elements like loading screens, but on the whole it was a great game and a good foundation for future entries.

And Romano Orzari was great as Garrett.
  31. Aug 6, 2014
    It's easy on the eyes, but I found it quite dull. It also doesn't really do a very good job of explaining what is going on either. Better stealth games are out there I would say.
  32. Jul 27, 2014
    Thief is the first truly unremarkable game that I've played on my next generation console. There are things to like about this game, such as the way the story is told. People have said that this game reminds them of Dishonored and in that regard I have to say that the story here is told in a much more slick and engaging fashion. However, where as Dishonored completely nailed it withThief is the first truly unremarkable game that I've played on my next generation console. There are things to like about this game, such as the way the story is told. People have said that this game reminds them of Dishonored and in that regard I have to say that the story here is told in a much more slick and engaging fashion. However, where as Dishonored completely nailed it with gameplay and atmosphere, Thief completely falls flat! It's not a bad game per say but its one that I can't recommend. Expand
  33. Jul 21, 2014
    Not very innovative, but a decent stealth game overall. The best part about the game is being able to steal anything you want and you truly feel like a thief. During missions the level design can be very linear and straightforward at times. However, you are rewarded for finding hidden secrets and solving puzzles. It's a simple yet fun action-stealth game but it does have its flaws. 7.5/10
  34. Jul 17, 2014
    Out of all thief franchise this one is the worst! Mediocre mail plot with cartoon characters. But it is also one of the best stealth game of the year with multiple ways to complete your objective! It is a must own for stealth fans
  35. Jul 16, 2014
    Thief absolutely is a stinker.

Rails gameplay, SMALL MAPS, last gen graphics.

DO NOT RECOMMEND. BUY DISHONORED FOR LAST GEN, MUCH MUCH MUCH BETTER GAME
  36. Jul 4, 2014
    At first I really was enjoying thief but as I progressed thru the game it became a chore and soon got boring. Too much rinse and repeat, it looks good and the controls are satisfactory but the game just isn't as enjoyable as I wanted it to be.
    Not as must buy but worth picking up when the price for it drops really low.
  37. Jun 30, 2014
    Thief is a terrible, bland and bleak game that lacks any ingenuity or flair of its predecessors. The stealth action genre has exponentially expanded and flourished over the past few years, with many games such as Dishonoured and Bioshock: Infinite taking centre stage. These games have given the player an almost unending array of choices when it comes to gameplay, decisions and how toThief is a terrible, bland and bleak game that lacks any ingenuity or flair of its predecessors. The stealth action genre has exponentially expanded and flourished over the past few years, with many games such as Dishonoured and Bioshock: Infinite taking centre stage. These games have given the player an almost unending array of choices when it comes to gameplay, decisions and how to execute your mission. However, Thief lacks this creativity, and displays a complete loss of initiative and idea when it comes to bringing something new to the table.

Yes, I understand that the colours scheme of the game is dark, but the graphics are extremely subpar, considering that this is a new cross-generation game. The attention to detail, is almost no attention to detail; with the storyline being even more questionable. How bland and ordinary the storyline appears is even more shocking. Could they have not put in any less of an effort?

Thief encourages sneaking in the shadows over full-frontal assault, but it does not even feel like much of an accomplishment when the AI is slow, dim and inconceivably boring. No threat is felt the entire way through the game. It’s more scary what to decide to eat from the fridge.

The price of Thief is still quite high at your local brick-and-mortar shops (like Target/Big W/JB), and I’m thinking that it’s not only a lack of customer interest, but perhaps even the big stores don’t remember that they even have it in stock (due to lack of sales) and are unaware to mark it down! I kid here, but in all seriousness, do NOT bother with this game.[Especially for this price, or any price for that matter.]
  38. Jun 29, 2014
    Rubbish, pure and utter rubbish, i bought this game at 19.99 and thought it cant be THAT bad as some reviews make out but trust me, its worse, i went by IGN's 6.8 and boy is that a generous score. This game is dull, lifeless, boring, broken, depressing, i struggle to think anything good about this game
  39. Jun 29, 2014
    Your are Garrett the MASTER thief... that sound awesome doesn't it?? When you finish a mission you ended up with 64% completion because you didn't steal enough silver spoon... because every one knows that master thief steal over 50 silver spoon per night right??
  40. Jun 26, 2014
    Story:
    You play as Garrett, the Master Thief. You were on a mission with your apprentice Erin when You stumble on to a ritual and instead of quitting the mission, Erin tries to finish it despite your fears. Fast forward a year later, and "The City" is suffering from "The Gloom", and it's up to you to find out what's going on. I'd like to start out by saying that this game has a lot of similarities to "Dishonored" when it comes to its story. Both games feature dark fantasy cities (with Thief being more darker), both feature plaques, and both contain supernatural elements in their stories. While I'll say that the plot here is less cliched than in Dishonored, the execution here is worse. The story here revolves around what happened in the prologue mission with Garrett seeing visions of what happened and there's a lot of backstory to what the ritual was about. I also liked the supernatural aspects of the story with Garrett communicating with ghosts. The problem is that the story felt uninteresting in context. The game does a poor job of telling the story that I was bored of it until about 75% of the game was completed. It's only at the end of mission 6 that I became sort of interested in the plot. I also didn't like the ending as it seemed like Garrett didn't even learn anything important from the events of the game. Speaking of Garrett, his character is flat, boring, and poorly voiced. The only positive I can say about him is that at least he isn't as bad as Aiden Pierce from "Watch Dogs". Just like in Watch Dogs, the side characters are WAY more interesting and a few of them have some entertaing lines. But that doesn't change the fact that I was bored throughout most of this poorly executed story. 4/10

Gameplay:
    The gameplay is mixed for as I liked some aspects of it, but HATED others. I will say that the biggest highlight of the game for me was the thieving aspect. I loved breaking into peoples house through a variety of ways like through the front and back doors, roof, windows, or vent. I also liked the lockpicking and pickpocketing mechanics as they weren't very hard to pull off. I even liked stealing all the collectables, jewelry, and other valuable items from peoples houses. There's also a cool albeit familiar mechanic called focus that highlights enemies, civilians, items of interest or value, entrances like doors or vents, and other items except the items won't stay highlighted forever unlike in Ubisoft games. Also unlike Ubisoft games, focus doesn't last forever as it runs on its own life bar. The sneaking was also pretty cool as you literally use the shadows to your advantage via hiding in them and putting out light sources like candles or fire. You also have a bow that can use a variety of arrows including normal, water, fire, choke, and blast. The game also has some nice RPG elements mixed in as you can upgrade your items, Garrett's abilities, and carrying capacities, and unlike in Dishonored, there's a new game plus option. Well, it's not exactly new game plus but you can replay main and side missions with all your upgrades intact. My biggest problem with the game is its combat system. When spotted, you can run away or stay and fight, but you're better off running away as your only weapon is your "blackjack" which is essentially a club, and this weapon is AWFUL at putting out enemies. it takes about 6 or 7 hits just to take out 1, so good luck taking out 3 or 4. To save time, you might as well restart from checkpoint. The level design on some of these missions also suck as you're usually escorted down a linear path rather than having the freedom to move around and experiment. As for missions, there are 8 of them (with one of them having a cool horror atmosphere to it), and only 1 of them had an interesting location to it which was a brothel, but even there you couldn't really explore much due to lots of lights and guards in the area. I will say that the 2 boss fights that are near the end do take advantage of shadows quite nicely. It's unfortunate that the gameplay here isn't that good as I can see the potential with the stealth aspects. 5/10

Graphics:
    Even though this isn't PC, the graphics still look nice on the PS4. The lighting effects are the visuals greatest strength along with the city design, and the textures, backgrounds, and facial models look nice even though the lip-syncing on the faces is bad. 8/10

Sound:
    Another strength of this game is the sound with a horror-esq soundtrack that fits the game's mood and tone of dark and gritty. I also loved the ambient sounds of citizens and guards communicating even if they tend to repeat on multiple restarts. The sound effects are also perfectly made with great bass effects when wearing the Gold Headset. At least the game nails it when it comes to sound design. 9/10

Verdict:
    As someone who hasn't played the original Thief games, This isn't a good start for me. Bad story and mixed gameplay is what ruins it for me. Just rent it.

Rating: 5/10
  41. Jun 13, 2014
    Boring and fun to play at the same time!

Graphics: the graphics are cool here,building designs,streets and the atmosphere every thing looks well designed and polished. 9/10 Soundtrack: The soundtrack is cool tool and it brings nice music to your ears 10/10 Story: The Story here is simple here and it doesn't give you enough excitement. After being uncounscious for a year,
    Boring and fun to play at the same time!

Graphics:

Soundtrack:
    The soundtrack is cool tool and it brings nice music to your ears

Story:
    The Story here is simple here and it doesn't give you enough excitement.
    After being uncounscious for a year, Garrett awakens and learns that the city is being plagued by a disease of unknown origin known as "The Gloom" and the Baron had put the city in lock down because of it.Garret helps his friend Brasso and another guy named Orion to rid the city of this gloom.

Sound Effects:
    The sound effects in the game are really bad they did the less work on it you can barley hear the bad optimized effects through the game sometimes you'll never here them however the acting voices were nice and well done.

Gameplay:
    The gameplay gets old and repetitive by the pass of time doing the same things over and over
    Jumping,Lock picking,Stealing and killing or taking down enemies are all used in the game nothing more.

as a new Thief comer i say i had fun playing trough this game but in the same time i had got bored in some parts of the game.

rent it or get it at a low price because it's worth playing but not worth paying much.
  42. Jun 12, 2014
    Giving a 10 to counter the idiotic 0's some people are giving. 0's are meant for utterly broken and unplayable games. That said, I enjoyed playing Thief but felt it average. give it 6/10 realistically.
  43. Jun 7, 2014
    First of all, Thief is not a bad game. It's just not the best stealth game ever. After playing it, I played the very first Thief game from back in the game, and thought it was excellent. The new Thief reboot is definitely a great game, but doesn't quite live up to the name of the original.
    One of the pros that Thief has is definitely it's story. Since I haven't played the other Thief games, I couldn't tell if this was a sequel, but i was intrigued by Thiefs characters, especially Erin.
    Also, the game looks beautiful. It's very rare in the game that you will have the pleasure of being able to see daylight, but when you do, you'll be sad when the game switches back to night time.Sure nighttime still looks good, but it's nothing like darkness in games like Watch Dogs.
    Now to the cons. One thing that Thief added that wasn't really needed was the time it took you to get to the start of a new mission. It should've gone straight to the next mission, and it feels downright unnecessary when playing, unless you want to rob an apartment on the way there.
    Also, the AI seems really unpolished. While playing the second mission, I shot a guard with a sharp arrow, and he said "I think I heard something." Plus, they are frequently glitchy. As another example, I was hiding behing a cart, and a guard walked behind it, and he couldn't see me. I restarted, and he saw me from a mile away when I returned.
    So Thief isn't a bad game, but if you didn't like the first few Thief games, you won't like this one any better.
  44. Jun 5, 2014
    After ten years since the last installment, the Thief series finally gets another entry in it's lineup. Although an enjoyable experience, Thief isn't exactly memorable.

Being that this is a Thief game, the main form of gameplay is a combination of sneaking and stealing. Stealth mainly consists of sneaking around your enemies by staying in the shadows, and stealing any valuable loot along the way. This was done incredibly well by adding the swoop ability and allowing you to put out light sources. Nothing was more satisfying than cracking a safe while your enemy was only five feet away. Aside from that, there were plenty of ways to get loot, including pick-pocketing, cutting out pictures, unscrewing plaques, or just looting drawers and wardrobes. Ultimately, the game's stealth and thieving mechanics do a satisfying job of making you feel like just that, a Thief, in every way.

Although stealth is fun, it does have a habit of getting repetitive, which is something Thief does not suffer from. The game constantly throws change ups in gameplay, which keeps stealth fresh. An exciting chase sequence, a great boss fight, puzzle solving, and even one chapter with some interesting horror elements stopped this game from getting boring.

Another great thing this game encourages in curiosity and exploration. During missions, the way to complete or reach an objective is never straight forward. There are usually several ways to infiltrate an area and grab an item. Outside of missions, the city has so many different nooks and crannies to explore, often leading to hidden areas and items.

If you're not doing the story, you're likely doing the many side missions. Some are simple, requiring you to infiltrate a building and grab an item on the map, while others are more in depth, requiring you go to a separate area altogether. The variation keeps the side content fun, and the random loot placed randomly across the city stops you from getting bored.

The combat is easy to grasp, and competent when fighting one on one, but it's useless against multiple enemies. Even though some may find that restrictive, I see it as encouragement to take a stealthy approach, which is what you're supposed to do.

Unfortunately, not everything in this game is perfect. Case and point, the story. Although it does a good job of keeping you interested, the ending is so sudden and leaves the biggest plot point unresolved, making the ending feel empty. Luckily, the story has a nice mystery, and an interesting cast of characters. Although he has no background, Garret is an interesting, which can also be said about the supporting cast and the main villian.

There are also a few missed opportunities. Wardrobes are good for hiding, but they would've been better for storing bodies, or useful for surprise attacks Assassin's Creed style. Focus mode is useful for identifying important items, but it's non regenerating meter encourages you to conserve it rather than use it freely. Because of this, most of the upgrades for it felt pointless. Thieving challenges are basically side objectives that give you extra money, but you can't view them during a mission's first playthrough, forcing you to do it a second time to get all of them.

Some things are just plain bad. Caged animals which alert you to your enemies are annoying. The dogs aren't that bad and feel realistic, but birds have a bad habit of blending into the background, which means I alerted more than a few because I didn't know they were there. The city itself feels unnecessarily restrictive and hard to navigate around. Having to sneak around a certain guard post over and over got annoying quick. What's worse is that because of the story, the city watch does get replaced with the rebels, but they patrol the exact same way. There is no change in patrol, making it a simple palate swap. It also doesn't make sense that the replacements see you as an enemy, which doesn't make sense with the story, and the explanation for it is cheap.

Graphics are nice, and fairly detailed, but they look more like they're topping the last generation of consoles instead of showing what the new consoles can do, especially when compared to games like Killzone and Ground Zeroes. Plus, during the higher resolution custcenes, the game suffered from frame rate drops.

Lastly, this game's replay value is poor. There is no new game plus, even though this game screams for it. Upgrading your focus and buying items falls flat when you're unable to carry them over. You can replay missions, and I'm sure perfectionists will try to find all the loot and complete side objectives, but it feels like cheap way to add replay value. It would've been nice if unique loot carried over as well, but it doesn't.

Overall, Thief is an enjoyable experience, but it has some problems, which can be overlooked easily, but the game isn't good enough to give the series the revival it deserves. In the end, Thief is fun, but forgettable.
  45. May 30, 2014
    If I had to describe Thief in one sentence, that would be: "Well made, but boring"
    Thief is a good paced stealth game, but it is not fun to play, which saddened me a lot considering I was a fan of the original Thief. Nice value, with lots of quests and loot to find in The City, but a game must be fun to play, and honestly this game isn't.
  46. May 24, 2014
    Finishing the game was a chore, not because it wasn't fun but, because the story was boring. Usually for me the story is the most important part in a game but, at times like this I have to look past the story aspect of a game to really see what was good. The best part of this game was level design and gameplay. First off the level design in the game was phenomenal, at one point in the gameFinishing the game was a chore, not because it wasn't fun but, because the story was boring. Usually for me the story is the most important part in a game but, at times like this I have to look past the story aspect of a game to really see what was good. The best part of this game was level design and gameplay. First off the level design in the game was phenomenal, at one point in the game had to stop and look at the beauty of the amount of detail, specifically the brothel level covered in tapestries, curtains and beautiful furniture. But even better was the gameplay, Thief has some of the best gameplay in a game in recent years. Stealth in this game can be intense and rewarding. The feeling you get after finishing a level all stealth is the best!

That's all I can really say because I didn't even finish it because the long loading times and boring story turned me against it.
  47. May 12, 2014
    Thief was a good game. A very good game. There were lots of incredible elements which had me coming back to the game. From the supernatural scares to the interesting campaign, Thief was a joy. It is worth every penny and is one of the best stealth games I have played in years.
  48. May 9, 2014
    Thief is entertaining enough for a play through but that's about it, I couldn't see myself going through it anymore than once. The game gives you the option to stay hidden but isn't absolutely necessary I usually went in clubs swinging but that's my style. Thief has a very odd closed off feeling like making you go through a random window to go to the next area. The story was entertainingThief is entertaining enough for a play through but that's about it, I couldn't see myself going through it anymore than once. The game gives you the option to stay hidden but isn't absolutely necessary I usually went in clubs swinging but that's my style. Thief has a very odd closed off feeling like making you go through a random window to go to the next area. The story was entertaining enough to make me want to know what was next and that was enough to make me complete a play through. Expand
  49. May 7, 2014
    I've spent about 48 hours on this game, and I should say that I'm *very* glad I didn't buy it (a friend of mine was very kind to allow me to play his copy).
    While it sounds ridiculous, but in Thief 2014, you *don't* even need to steal, at all... The game will anyway reward you at the end of each mission, so why bother? Nice, isn't it?
    The setting. Remember the old three Thief games? Ok,
    The setting. Remember the old three Thief games? Ok, now forget them! Since Thief 2014 is a reboot, you will encounter *nothing* from the old ones. I mean Eidos Montreal has *totally* destroyed and erased everything that made Thief series so unique: Keepers, Pagans, Hammerites, Mechanists, Kurshoks, burricks, and hell - even zombies! Everything!
    The plot. Definitely the worst I ever met in video games. Just abominable! You still have some doubts? Ok then. Just try to watch the *bossfight* with Thief Taker General on YouTube and see for yourself. Yeah, *bossfights* in a *stealth* game.
    The audio. It's just disgusting. All NPCs have just two phrases, and several NPCs have even just *one* phrase. And you know what? These NPCs will repeat their "repertoire" till the kingdom come, with just *one* second interval. Sound propagation works so erroneously, so it was a real pain for me to understand where the sound came from.
    The protagonist. His new voice, by Romano Orzari, sounds so dull and boring! Instead, the old Garrett's voice, by Stephen Russell, was just brilliant! So if you still love Stephen Russell's voice as Garrett in Thief 1&2&3, you will absolutely be disappointed by Romano Orzari's voice in Thief 2014.

Bottom line: it's a tasteless hack, so make yourself a favour and save your money for something really useful.
  50. May 5, 2014
    when you promise perfection mediocrity looks so much worse and that is what this game is mediocre. If you want a stealth game this is it, all of it and there is literally nothing else in this game worth talking about. the powers are for the most part useless. The upgrade system is practically useless especially since you have to buy levels this is made by the makers of deus ex humanwhen you promise perfection mediocrity looks so much worse and that is what this game is mediocre. If you want a stealth game this is it, all of it and there is literally nothing else in this game worth talking about. the powers are for the most part useless. The upgrade system is practically useless especially since you have to buy levels this is made by the makers of deus ex human revolution not dark souls. The story is ridiculous and the next gen version is held back to post gen designs like windows you have to pry open to cover up loading screens. deus ex human revolution had a larger more bustling city with less loading screens. Not to mention the game promised you would have options in your approach with nonlethal or lethal but that is almost a lie i remember in one of the first levels i was going to shoot a guy with a broadhead through the head which i did and he didn't even die he turned around and sounded the alarm. the side missions are also pointless since they only take up about 4 minutes and boil down to fetch quests since there is practically no challenge involved. Eidos Montreal made Deus Ex Human Revolution one of my favorite games of all time they have no excuse for releasing such an underwhelming title.
    I give it a 3 because the lockpicking is fun and tense that is all.
  51. Apr 13, 2014
    This game is really underrated it seems. At first it is a bit hard to get into which might be why. It's not immediately obvious the best way to play it, moving around the city is kind of a pain, and it can feel a bit clunky.

But once you get the hang of how its meant to be played it is awesome. The graphics are outstanding, audio is good, cut scenes are good, and the game play is awesome. Not perfect, but definitely worth playing if you are into stealth type games like splinter cell or deus ex. The only complaint I'd really have about it is having to move around the city between missions is annoying and repetitive.
  52. Apr 7, 2014
    I bought Thief for £24.99 in a half price PSN sale. For that price I felt I had paid a fair amount for an average game. Thief isn’t a bad game by a long shot, but it also isn’t great. The ten hours or so it takes to complete held my interest and at times I had a lot of fun. But ultimately the game is let down by average graphics, a poor attempt at open world, bad AI and annoying loadingI bought Thief for £24.99 in a half price PSN sale. For that price I felt I had paid a fair amount for an average game. Thief isn’t a bad game by a long shot, but it also isn’t great. The ten hours or so it takes to complete held my interest and at times I had a lot of fun. But ultimately the game is let down by average graphics, a poor attempt at open world, bad AI and annoying loading screens.

The game plays like Dishonoured (but not as good) for those of you nippers to young to remember the early Thief games on PC. Now I like the early games and a lot of the things I loved have been transferred to this game. The light and Dark meter, water arrows and the gothic medieval setting. Thief is at its best when creeping through the dark, blowing out candles, dashing up behind guards and rummaging through draws and lock boxes to find stealables! It is at its worst in-between missions having to go through the same areas of the quasi-open world waiting for loading screens to disappear. Now if the game looked stunning and the world was traversable like in say Assassins creed allowing you to approach a mission however you want, I would forgive the load screens. But on the PS4 this is not acceptable, the graphics are okay, nice at times but never next gen.

The controls work, the touchpad stuff can be frustrating but all in all they don’t brake the game. But I do feel there is such a missed opportunity by making each route so linear. The story is interesting enough to keep you playing but isn’t memorable. The missions require you to steal a specific object which I enjoyed, they should have just scrapped the bits in-between missions and had a straight forward level after level mechanic rather than tie it together with the open world which doesn’t work. It would have helped the game flow better.

I did enjoy Thief though. I like the medieval setting and the stealth mechanics. The actual mission levels are well designed and interesting. But nostalgia played a part in the fun I had as I enjoyed the early games. I would recommend if you can pick up for cheap, as there isn’t much on the PS4 at the moment and this is a neat little filler game. But if you pay full price you will likely feel disappointed.

In no way better than Dishonoured, but similar and worthy of a play though if picked up for the right price.
  53. Mar 30, 2014
    THE GOOD: .......
    THE GOOD: .......
    Graphics and detail are top notch. The fog and lighting provides excellent atmosphere with light shafts galore. Body awareness: You can see garret's hand open doors, you can view his feet walking along and even see his shadow, something found on very few first person games. You can lean over edges to look down without falling and automatically jump when running. Fighting guards takes careful dodge and attack timing but you are a thief, not a fighter which makes this a good feature overall in that you can fight some in the face of death but not well. Lots of variety in loot to steal from rings, pendants and frames to gold spoons and plaques. Running is exhilarating and fun. The weather is a nice touch, from lighting storms to falling rain with the latter being very well done however only done during a particular part of the game.
    -------
    THE BAD:.......
    Guards talk to themselves repeating odd things over and over like "Hope I sleep tonight". Now multiply hearing that by 200 and you'll want to murder them all. Sound location issues were never fixed thanks to Square laying the team off. The city is laid out specifically for the player which means it bares no reality, in other words the city was not built in a realistic fashion to support a community, it's only there for the players sake alone. Dead end streets, boxes hiding pathways...etc. Structurally, the city makes no sense. It's convoluted. Breaking into apartments often yields you with 1 or 2 small rooms and no way to explore other rooms behind the fake doors, also most all apartments are devoid of life, not even a sleeping dweller. So there is no reason to sneak around when doing most side missions.-------THE UGLY:......Guards and NPC's just pace systematically like robots. The town still feels devoid of life, you could pretend it's because of the plague but even still it's very limited. It's like the entire game is a setup on stage for you to make your way through with little deviation and logic. The story...it's terribad. You won't care about it nor any of the characters as they don't have much personality what little you hear from them. Basically you're out to find the truth of what happened to Erin who happens to have fallen to the demise of her own arrogance and stupidity with no reason as to why Garret nor the player should care. ----------VALUE: $10 unless you really enjoy stealth games then $30 is a steal, don't pay much more for it than that....however, the game will provide at least 10 hours of decent enjoyment until you get tired of it unless you enjoy stealth enough to beat the game despite the flaws.------Hope you enjoy my good,bad,ugly reviews.
  54. Mar 29, 2014
    One of the best action-stealth titles in years and the first real lived game that actually makes you feel like a real thief yourself. This game has potential to start this year right.

Sasha
  55. Mar 24, 2014
    The people at Eidos Montreal should hide in shame for allowing this game to be released in it's current state and Square Enix should really do a better job of Q&A to make sure that developers aren't rushing to get games out of the door. TO ALL DEVELOPERS : THIEF IS THE TYPE OF GAME THAT YOU WILL GET IF YOU RUSH YOUR PRODUCT TO RETAIL!!! The voice acting is mediocre, the story is all overThe people at Eidos Montreal should hide in shame for allowing this game to be released in it's current state and Square Enix should really do a better job of Q&A to make sure that developers aren't rushing to get games out of the door. TO ALL DEVELOPERS : THIEF IS THE TYPE OF GAME THAT YOU WILL GET IF YOU RUSH YOUR PRODUCT TO RETAIL!!! The voice acting is mediocre, the story is all over the place, the controls need a separate set of instructions to get through, The graphics are ok at best, there are too many glitches for a finally product, and the gameplay has a few good moments, but those moments are overshadowed by how horribly the rest of the game is put together. If this game was 15 bucks I'd say buy it, and even then I'd say buy it at your own risk. Expand
  56. Mar 23, 2014
    I did enjoy this, technically an impressive game in some nice environments but maybe moreso as my first real taste of next gen dazzle! ..however once the crappy ending arrived it dawned on me yes; stories in games are indeed now almost as important a feat as the gameplay and build. I am as caught between a 6 or 7 as most!
  57. Mar 22, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Poor IA, graphics still on old gen. So many bugs. I`m disappointed with square enix. I bought this game on amazon thinking thats was a blockbuster but isn't. Expand
  58. Mar 21, 2014
    Thinking of buying this? There is a reason why most have given it 6 to 7.

Its not the best game in the world, and not even the best game in what is a very limited and disappointing choice of game so far on the PS4. At the same time its certainly not worst, il try and sum up the good and bad. lets start with the graphics, i don't really know how anyone can fault this, the lighting is
    Thinking of buying this? There is a reason why most have given it 6 to 7.

lets start with the graphics, i don't really know how anyone can fault this, the lighting is superb and the city genuinely does look fantastic. Now speaking of the city, yes it does look pretty but it feels like its always a touch away, By that I mean you cant explore all the city the way you would like as alot of it eats up time with the loading and other parts just cant be accessed.

The story is not as bad as some make out and neither are the characters. I actually thought the voice acting was good in general but the ending is out of the blue and the game finished way to soon.

There were many parts in this game I really enjoyed but there just wasn't enough. The side missions were very bare to say the least and there isnt much play back appeal.

Over all, despite all its faults, it is a fun game in chunks and if you dont expect a masterpiece then you will get a decent weekend out of this one but no more.
  59. Mar 21, 2014
    It's a good game but the world and its stories are poorly realised meaning your time is mainly spent going through the motions. A little more thought on the story and side quests could have saved it from some nasty backlash from long time fans, but it's still worth your money for an alternative stealth-em-up till Metal Gear 5.
  60. Mar 20, 2014
    Thoroughly enjoyed this game. The stealth aspects are perfect and the graphics are quite nice. The city is also open for exploration as you complete side quests or head towards the next main mission, but sections are separated by short loading times. If you want to go around smacking people with a sword and just causing havoc, you will not have a good time as this is a proper stealthThoroughly enjoyed this game. The stealth aspects are perfect and the graphics are quite nice. The city is also open for exploration as you complete side quests or head towards the next main mission, but sections are separated by short loading times. If you want to go around smacking people with a sword and just causing havoc, you will not have a good time as this is a proper stealth title. There are offensive arrows and a pretty lame melee/fight mechanic, but you are better off sneaking for the best experience. The story is also pretty interesting all the way through (until the bad ending). A few hiccups here and there such as frame rate drops during cut scenes (strange I know) and a glitch or two. Overall though, its really fun sneaking around and stealing stuff. Not the disaster some are claiming it to be, but nothing too spectacular either. Expand
  61. Mar 17, 2014
    I was really looking forward to this game when it was announced. Now that I have gotten to play it I am really disappointed. The graphics are great but remind me of the early days of PS3 exclusives when all the titles seemed to be different shades of brown. This game seems to be have 50 shades of grey. The sound is so so and the story is horrible. What really broke immersion for me is theI was really looking forward to this game when it was announced. Now that I have gotten to play it I am really disappointed. The graphics are great but remind me of the early days of PS3 exclusives when all the titles seemed to be different shades of brown. This game seems to be have 50 shades of grey. The sound is so so and the story is horrible. What really broke immersion for me is the steal loot, to earn money, to then level up. You seem to have bottom less bag to hold the whole world in. But the world is huge and is very easy to get lost in. I only played about 10 hours before I realized I wasn't having fun. I stopped playing. Expand
  62. Mar 15, 2014
    A very disappointing game. It tries to be dishonored but fails. I was really looking forward to thief stealing my heart but in the end it only stole my wallet.
  63. Mar 15, 2014
    the corperate reviews are far off with this game sure theres bugs like every other game but its a great old school game where your hand isn't held from beggining to end like in every other game sure the storys weak but its fun for me as an old school gamer it has tons of value my first playthrough it took me over 20 hrs & even more if you get all the collectables & secret areas in the game
  64. Mar 15, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is an beautiful game. I find a few niggling things about it, Things such as this are: Garret throws bodies about half a meter, And they go through some props, e.g. The Furnace when looking for the ring Basso hires you to take, Also, How if you walk between light and shadows, Nobody ever sees you, Guards attack you when you are simply walking about, Listening for conversations on good stealing opportunities, But this does not hold Thief back, Oh no, This game is truly amazing despite these little things, This game shows true potential, And is very much a diamond in the rough. (I'm talking to you Knack and Killzone: Shadow Fall.) But this is very much the beginning of Garrett, As I really do enjoy choosing whether, I wish to stealth my way inside and take everything, Or knock everyone out and take everything, But Garrett should slowly adapt to play styles, If you stealth around the place, Then Garrett would look for a shadowy route, But instead I go all guns blazing, Usually taking my chances with my broadhead arrows and my upgraded Speed and Combat abilities, Rushing in and leaving fast, Taking the loots with me, But instead Garrett talks to himself "Maybe I can use that pipe go get inside the office..." Yet I have just murdered everyone inside the room and found the weird tech key to the door. This game to me, Is very a nerfed Dishonoured reskin; Of course, Now onto the good sides of things, The combat system really, Is great, The fact that I don't have to perform a takedown and can use my upgraded speed to kill this guy who is winded, And the fact these upgrades actually do something, As I have not needed to go ahead and buy arrows, My upgraded Eye ability shows me where the good loot has been placed, Collectibles, So I can simply go around and take the loot I need to get tons of cash, So I can then get more AT Points. The stealth system is... Alright, To say the least. It makes sense how being in shadows, And wearing complete black is going to make you hard to see. But when you have an enemy directly in front of you and he does not see you, You can tell you've encountered something wrong with this mans sight. Now don't get me wrong, This game is no gem, But Jesus Christ is this game great, People complain about this game, Comparing it to Thief: The dark projects, But that was an TRULY amazing game, But this is NOT THE SAME PRODUCERS. This is Square Enix and Eidos Montreal, Two fairly good game creators that have made some **** in their time. So lets just establish this is NOT Looking Glass entertainment, The creators of the original Thief, To the BAD reviews, You are an Master Thief, An Mogul of Silence, Why would you NOT make much sound when moving slowly, Light on your feet? Someone says the sound system was taken out and made **** Let me say this again, So it will hopefully make its way through the other user reviewers in this section. THIS. IS. NOT. THE. SAME. PRODUCERS. Now that has been established, Someone says "They got rid of the original voice actor which should have been a sign they did not know what they were doing. ~BellinoP", The voice actor Stephen Russell (Original) is 77. So how about we have an old man as an stealthy, Building climby Master Thief? Yes, Instead of the Blackjack weapon, We have a cane. He was not available, Get over it fanboys, This reboot could have been worse.
    Thank you for going through my ULTRA long review.
    Gentleman.
  65. Mar 15, 2014
    The stealth in the game is good but the game suffers from a poorly exectuted plot, uninteresting characters too much load screens, gimmicky touchpad controls and some framerate issues.
  66. Mar 15, 2014
    I don't understand these bad reviews, I had really fun playing the game and it was one of the best game on the next generation until now. Yes it has some technical issues and the loading screens are a pain, but when you are in a mission it is really great and I enjoyed it a lot!
  67. Mar 14, 2014
    Repetitive game play, bad AI and terrible story (not to mention the ending). Most levels felt restrictive to how the developers want me to solve it, not how I would have solved it. The game map is unusable and most puzzles feel like a chore filled with annoyance. Also, the companion app is 1.99!
  68. Mar 13, 2014
    Thief is a game that fails on too many levels to make it a worthwhile addition to anyone's gaming collection. It cannot keep a frame rate above even 30fps if anything is moving at the same time you move. The visuals are bland, uninspired and just plain bad. The controls are finicky and unresponsive. The level design is linear. Most of the time it only gives you one way to pass through aThief is a game that fails on too many levels to make it a worthwhile addition to anyone's gaming collection. It cannot keep a frame rate above even 30fps if anything is moving at the same time you move. The visuals are bland, uninspired and just plain bad. The controls are finicky and unresponsive. The level design is linear. Most of the time it only gives you one way to pass through a room, which in a game that strives to give you the freedom to move as you see fit, seems pointless and frustrating. Most of what you steal is silverware, which makes you feel like more of an annoyance than a true thief. The story is boring, characters uninteresting, and the voice acting is on par with any performance by Keanu Reeves. Expand
  69. Mar 13, 2014
    Let me get one thing straight before I start the review. I HAVE NOT PLAYED THE ORIGINAL THEIF GAMES. So, if you have and want to know from a previous thief player, then read mine and someone else's review. Thief is set in a city called The City, where you play as the master thief, Garret, and plague called the gloom is catching up on the city. I won't shed too much light on the story, butLet me get one thing straight before I start the review. I HAVE NOT PLAYED THE ORIGINAL THEIF GAMES. So, if you have and want to know from a previous thief player, then read mine and someone else's review. Thief is set in a city called The City, where you play as the master thief, Garret, and plague called the gloom is catching up on the city. I won't shed too much light on the story, but it goes more in-depth than that. I think the games stealth element works very well, and it feels amazing when playing in the dark, but sometimes you get frustrated because some ledges you can automatically drop, others you press buttons and some you can't, so I could be walking down about to jump off then I'm not allowed. Traveling from point A to B has multiple routes, which is great.
    Overall, the game has it's flaws, but it is a great game, especially on the ps4!
  70. Mar 12, 2014
    Thief is slow, repetitive and boring. The graphics are good but the gameplay sucks. Overall the voice acting is bad too. Don't buy it and save your money for Titanfall.
  71. Mar 12, 2014
    I wasn't expecting much from Thief actually. In general I think it's fun. Story is normal not fancy and not bad. Ability to customize difficulty is definitely something I liked.
    Interesting use of shadows. You can approach your goal using different ways and paths.
    The game also shares for elements from games like Splinter Cell. In Splinter Cell: Black list the game was tracking your play style. Basically you have 3 play styles. Same thing with Thief. You have similar play styles. And they are 3.
    Although the game doesn't really encourage you to go and start firing arrows at everyone in open combat, it does allow you to engage combat in case you are spotted and there is no way out but fighting. But there is always a way out without fighting anyway :)
    However I do have my take on new-gen release. There is necessary load time between different maps/locations in the city or during a mission. In PS4 & XBox One I don't think this is acceptable for small game like Thief. I compare thief to large games like GTAV that hardly had loading time while playing in massive open world map. And GTAV was on last-gen consoles.
    Now in new-gen consoles having this loading screens while moving between different areas of the map is totally annoying because you know that you have the power to avoid that.
    I think Thief deserves something between 6.5 and 7.5 out of 10. So I think I will give it 7
  72. Mar 11, 2014
    After a couple hours I got disgusted with this game for its terrible linearity and non-interactivity and gave it a bad review. A few hours after that, I deleted my review and wrote this, as the game markedly improves after a slow and disappointing start. True, it is not as interactive as most would like. There are doors that won't open and barrels you cannot search, places you can't climbAfter a couple hours I got disgusted with this game for its terrible linearity and non-interactivity and gave it a bad review. A few hours after that, I deleted my review and wrote this, as the game markedly improves after a slow and disappointing start. True, it is not as interactive as most would like. There are doors that won't open and barrels you cannot search, places you can't climb where if if this were more like Assassin's Creed or Skyrim, you would be able to. However, the enjoyment of sneaking around the city, into homes, up among the rafters, and so on, really picks up. The limitations put on you either ease up or become less noticeable because of the challenges presented, so even if it isn't GTA5 in terms of interactivity, it is nonetheless a lot of fun and it is extraordinarily beautiful to look at. Expand
  73. Mar 11, 2014
    One must not even mention the fact that it is a Thief game... It is not. It shares almost no similarities with the originals except for some story elements, locations and certain Easter eggs. The game is simply a first person stealth game, hardcore at that, but generic. Garret is poorly voiced, as are many other characters... Especially Orion, who is disappointingly the weakest of theOne must not even mention the fact that it is a Thief game... It is not. It shares almost no similarities with the originals except for some story elements, locations and certain Easter eggs. The game is simply a first person stealth game, hardcore at that, but generic. Garret is poorly voiced, as are many other characters... Especially Orion, who is disappointingly the weakest of the cast. The best of the characters would be Elias Northcrest, the villain of the game, because at least he has motives... Everyone else does not, and they only do things because the story requires them to, such as the woefully undermined character of Thaddeus, or the Thief Taker General... A character who is one dimensional, and is unrealistically cold and ruthless, as goes the rest of the cast.
    Disappointing are the side characters, such as Madam Zhao Zhao, who could have been a fascinating and unique ally to Garret, and they most definitely advertised her before release... Only to make it for a single cut scene, where she didn't even get the chance to interact with Garret.
    The game ends poorly and abruptly, with two VERY out of place boss sequences. None of the characters evolve, or change... They all end up where they started. This is with stark contrast to Thief 3, in which Garret's character (Stephen Russel) ends by maturing, releasing his fate and seeks to become the "True Keeper".
    The only sections of the game that felt remotely like a Thief game were in fact the levels which were based around the original game's factions, such as the abandoned cathedral and the hidden library. The themes are all wrong, there was no tension (except for a horror level akin to the Shalebbridge Cradle from Thief 3) and all menace was gone.

The game is surprisingly linear, only two-three levels are actually open ended and large, but very unoriginal. The one level, which was easily the greatest in terms of design and theme was The Bank Heist, which was a thrill to ghost through. The rest of the levels offer only one or two ways in, and small spaces in which to avoid the AI.
    The removal of a classic jump button, rope arrows being streamlined and a objective marker are the worst mistakes that they made in terms of gameplay, and the rest of the game topples with the removal of these options.

The game quickly improves with the Custom Difficulty setting, in which it makes the game much better and you are able to make the game feel somewhat like the originals. The open world City sections are poorly implemented, with small areas in which to explore and a horrible map. How the game expects you to remember all of the locations of the original levels, I have no idea.

There are some positive things, such as many side quests to do, interesting writing with Client Jobs, lighting is excellent, the swoop is excellently fun, and focus mode is optional.

Positives:
    Swoop is awesome.
    Side quests/Client jobs are funny and are a great divergent.
    Custom Difficulty Settings!
    Challenge modes!
    AI is intelligent on Master.
    The Graven were a fascinating faction.

Negatives:
    The Story is bland.
    The structure of the City is horrible.
    Too many load times.
    Over simplification of multiple things.
    Levels are very much linear.
    Underutilized and one dimensional characters.

OVERALL: 7
  74. Mar 11, 2014
    Интересная, и затягивающая играю, играю сейчас и наслаждаюсь. Играть по стелсу интересно, а когда что не выходит, можно и разобраться с несколькими охранниками
  75. Mar 10, 2014
    I read the early reviews and ignored some frustrating aspects about this game. But on the ps4, above par graphics, and an emotional tie to the missing heroine compels me to keep playing. Good stealth title if you treat it as one. The only real payoff of streaming is that you get to stare at your treasures.
  76. Mar 10, 2014
    This game did a really good job of making me feel like a thief and got me into the stealth genre. You can choose how to handle each mission which made me feel like I had a sense of control. However the load times when the game switches from area to area were kinda long it made Thief feel like it came out a couple years ago instead of a few weeks.
  77. Mar 10, 2014
    A game that barely lives up to the expectations of a classic Thief fan, though as a difficult stealth game, a blast to play through.
    The voice acting of Thief is banal, and is most apparent with Garret's voice actor that does not convey emotion well, as does the rest of the cast.
    Characters are underutilized, especially Madam Zhao Zhao, who I was expecting to play and important role in the story, but only makes it for a couple of letters and cut scene in which she/he didn't even get to interact with Garret.
    The villains are laughably evil, aside from the Baron , who at least has a bit of characterization with his motives.

Gameplay is extremely tense at times, but controller snapping frustrating, especially the very much out of place two final boss battles at the end which are almost impossible if you were to collect all loot without being detected.
    Levels are unoriginal most of the time, aside from the excellent Bank Heist mission, which has been taken out for a preorder bonus.
    Though the game is just good, it is very uneven and a clusterf**k. For every positive, there is a negative holding it back.
  78. Mar 10, 2014
    Thief is a game that will find its audience. The game play is slower but it requires you to think and plan how you will approach the mission and goals set in front of you. Exploring the city and finding hidden treasures is great with the large amount of side contracts to take while you work your way through the main story.
  79. Mar 10, 2014
    now i going to be straight and simple

pros:optimized graphics!,ending,music,sounds,gameplay,garett cons:graphics engine old,story is weak all about ERIN,where is the story related thieving?,monsters? really? it was irritating pile of ****. old-gen version have too much downgrade! there is much unreal engine 3 games out there have better grapchics on xbox360 and ps3 than thief
    now i going to be straight and simple

pros:optimized graphics!,ending,music,sounds,gameplay,garett

old-gen version have too much downgrade! there is much unreal engine 3 games out there have better grapchics on xbox360 and ps3 than thief (old-gen version)
  80. Mar 9, 2014
    It's interesting to see the divide of opinions on this game. Some people absolutely love it while others find it abysmal.
    First a little about myself. I'm an experienced (read old) gamer. I enjoy stealth games and stealth classes a lot. My favorites games in this aspect would include everything from Skyrim and WoW (stealth classes obviously) to Batman and Metal Gear. I don't care if I move at half speed of everyone else as long as I can sneak through a level undetected. I am also an avid level reseter. If I get detected, I will restart the level rather than fight my way out.
    Taken all this into account, Thief sounded right up my alley, I watched preview video and read a lot about the beloved series that I hadn't yet tried. It seemed like Thief would have controls similar to Skyrim's thief and would add open vertical exploration and parkour like Assassin's Creed. It sounded perfect to me but what I was given was far from perfect. The sum of the parts underwhelmed me and I have stopped playing after eight hours.

Pros:
    +Game controls are well done. Almost everything from the game's dash mechanism, called swoop, to jumping between buildings felt effortless. When you're supposed to be a "master" of any sort, controls are what deliver the feeling. The one detraction was dropping down from a ledge.
    +The hiding in shadows mechanic is well done and the PS4 controller's light bar brightens to help warn you when you're in bright light.
    +Lock-picking and switch games are fun if you have to pick them before you get caught. They add tension in those situations, but when you have no chance of getting caught they just slow up game play. It reminded me of rolling an automatic 20 outside of combat.
    +As you pass by windows you hear ambient conversations from inside the homes which adds flavor to the period element of the game.

Cons
    - Protagonist is petulant and unlikeable. Brooding main characters appeal to a niche group. They're probably very hard to write for and fabricate a reason for them to care about the bigger picture.
    -The lack of color is too extreme. Design went too far in setting the dark and dingy tone.
    -Swiping from drawers is senseless and gets old quickly. I swipe scissors, flasks, ashtrays, etc, of differing metal qualities and my bag instantly converts them to gold. This is probably the most consistent income source so I felt compelled to open all the drawers Oddly they never contain more than one item.
    -Each level/mission I encountered had two paths at most. I didn't feel like I could vary more than a few steps in any given direction. I had no desire or ability to fully explore my surroundings.
    -I broke into homes and the private residents had "paths". I understand making a guard path. It's like they're patrolling. When I break into someone's home and he makes the same twenty second loop from the fireplace to his wife in bed, it was very weird. It was such a short loop as well that it made that mission more tedious than exhilarating.
    -The highly detailed environments felt oddly empty. There was so much to see yet so little to interact with. The world felt plastic and nailed down.

With opinions swaying so widely, I would advise newcomers and veterans alike to rent before buying. Maybe wait for a sale, or buy it used. My local Best Buy will have a new pre-played copy after today.
  81. Mar 9, 2014
    The only explanation I could come up for those negative reviews is the fact that people compare it to the other games in the series. The Thief series was a ground-breaking set of games that defined the stealth games in general. I can only imagine that if you expect it to be a defining and ground-breaking again (just like it was before) you are going to be disappointed.

If you look at it

If you look at it as a new game, and don't compare it to the old ones, I think the opinion would change. I find it to be a damn good game. The story is ok, not good, but ok. The graphics are good, they really make you feel like you're a part of that world. And the gameplay is incredibly intriguing. You can finish missions in multiple ways and actually have fun with all the features they put at your disposal.

Overall, not the best game, but definitely not a bad one if you ask me.
  82. Mar 8, 2014
    the game meant to be an action-stealth but turns out you have to go just stealth, because if suddenly you have to fight to gourds you will probably end up dead as it's so hard to fight. The fight is a boring same-paste movement that you have to dodge and counter attack over and over again and if it's 3 or more you will have no chance. Environment and map is good as you can choosethe game meant to be an action-stealth but turns out you have to go just stealth, because if suddenly you have to fight to gourds you will probably end up dead as it's so hard to fight. The fight is a boring same-paste movement that you have to dodge and counter attack over and over again and if it's 3 or more you will have no chance. Environment and map is good as you can choose different ways to reach a place but again the key-binding on the movement is not clear at all, as you see a box or and edge that you think you can easily climb ,turns out you cant because you are not supposed to go that way. graphic is good (8/10) but the facial expression is really bad. Story is weak as you will totally forget the characters , except one or 2. overall one of the games that had a amazing trailer but a very disappointing lunch. Expand
  83. Mar 7, 2014
    First of all this game is waste of money, if u would by it, dont do that.
    Game is very very boring, you can`t **** jump where you want, you can`t play what you want, you only can do what developers conceived. "Thief 2014" isn`t good old Thief...
  84. Mar 7, 2014
    hmm where to start. I know that stealth games are slower in pace than most games but this takes it to boring levels. creep around, creep some more, stay out of the light, creep some more do some par cour, creep some more, the end. the story is lame and the ending is just terrible and not thought out. the enemies are bland and wooden, and the sound design is so bad it seems glitched athmm where to start. I know that stealth games are slower in pace than most games but this takes it to boring levels. creep around, creep some more, stay out of the light, creep some more do some par cour, creep some more, the end. the story is lame and the ending is just terrible and not thought out. the enemies are bland and wooden, and the sound design is so bad it seems glitched at times, i mean whats with hearing people very loudly through a foot of stone wall? . the visuals on the ps4 are ok i guess but just seem like re skinned ps3 visuals. its far from the worst game ever made but unless you are REALLY in to stealth and sneeking give it a miss. Expand
  85. Mar 7, 2014
    Where can i start, the graphics for a console are amazing the fog, smoke, fire, rain, mud, and lighting effects are awe-inspiring and are expertly done. the controls are extremely intuitive and responsive. you have a range of abilities/perks and combat actions. a range of books/papers to find and read through, collectibles to umm...collect. plenty of side quests alongside the obvious mainWhere can i start, the graphics for a console are amazing the fog, smoke, fire, rain, mud, and lighting effects are awe-inspiring and are expertly done. the controls are extremely intuitive and responsive. you have a range of abilities/perks and combat actions. a range of books/papers to find and read through, collectibles to umm...collect. plenty of side quests alongside the obvious main campaign. The cutscenes are wonderfully crafted and really inspire you to go about in the game and look through every nook and cranny. The game is set in a sort ye olde mid 1800's desolate setting of london, with disease and rats, and a powerful, vile baron ruling over the "lower" people. The game is just so much fun and dynamic, but however is does feel now and then to be a little constrictive in it's level design, with a confusing map and frequent but quick loading times. I do find it quite annoying that you can't actually hide enemies in lockers that you yourself can hide in. arrows don't do a great deal, you have these blunt arrows and all they do it turn off switches which you find very few situations that you have to do that. i would want where the water arrow blinds/disorientates your enemies etc. The atmosphere is creates is astounding, and the world it wraps you is undeniable. I've had a fantastic time with game, a stunning piece of dynamic artwork. people nowadays hate change, but if certain forms of media like games and music stayed the same and went stagnant, people will still complain and say its just another rehash or a copy and paste job. I still think this game is amazing and for me personally well worth the lolly spent on it. Expand
  86. Mar 7, 2014
    Ok i never played the originals, but i am a major fan of good stealth based action games, this however is not one. The characters are extremely annoying, not least Garrett, whose continual interjections make playing the game almost embarrassing. The game play is again a real issue for me as it often feels clumsy and rigid, with the player operating under the pretence of an open worldOk i never played the originals, but i am a major fan of good stealth based action games, this however is not one. The characters are extremely annoying, not least Garrett, whose continual interjections make playing the game almost embarrassing. The game play is again a real issue for me as it often feels clumsy and rigid, with the player operating under the pretence of an open world setting. In reality however there is very much a set path throughout the game usually marked out by inexplicable white paint. The story is also very poor, expect no polt twists at all and for the most part no plot. Finally the graphics are quite good especially on the characters, but I did play on Ps4 so this is to be expected.
    Over all a very poor game not nearly worh the 50 pounds i paid. Disappointing Eidos!
  87. Mar 7, 2014
    People who slam this game for having bad AI, weird movement, ridonculous story and monotonous graphics are praising the old "Thief" games and claiming a pillaging of the series? That's rich. You guys have obviously played some different kind of "Thief"-series than I have and I played the bajeezus out of them.

Have you forgotten? Standing in front of crates making weird squatlike

Have you forgotten? Standing in front of crates making weird squatlike movements and cursing, while you try to jump on top of it? Have you forgotten trying to navigate a narrow pathway over a gap and how you thanked the Lord for the quicksave function? Guards who would ignore open doors and stare at walls for days? The repetitive textures? The twitchy combat? And the story? Have you forgotten all the unexpected "twists"? Oh no, the good guy was the bad guy all along, how could I have trusted him? C'mon now. Those games were flawed, in some ways even flatout bad. And they were fun as hell.

Because there will never be a perfect game. It's not about that. It's about the fun you have while playing them. So, is the new "Thief" even remotly close to perfect? Hell, noes. Is it fun? Well, that depends. In the opinion of this veteran master thief-ninja: yes, it is, though you have to allow yourself to enjoy it.

For once, I personally like the atmosphere it creates. There is a plague on the streets, so the streets are empty and so are the homes. People are dying left, right and center to a "mysterious" sickness and nobody really gives a poop. Dead bodies on meathooks in an old fabric? Hell yeah, count me in! Blade Runner-esque feeling of claustrophobia induced by the city, but in spa..some fake Middle Ages? Pour it on, baby! Old evil mixed with personal traumas for some rather cheap storytelling? Daddy looooves him some daily soap sometimes!

Which brings us to "new Garret". He is a cool dude, I guess. Very reserved, very introvert. Some call him bland. I call it "logical behavior, if you are a guy who shouldn't and doesn't trust anyone", but you know, whatever. Not the brightest lad, but good at what he does. And what does he do?

Stealing. Lots and lots of it. There is a lot of loot. Why don't people keep their stuff together? Would be much easier this way, but then I wouldn't get this nice feeling that I get, when I find an impossible-to-find secret room with just the piece of loot that is missing from my collection. It's warm and fuzzy btw.

The process of pickpocketing is nicely executed, the lockpicking is done well enough so that it doesn't become aggravating (lots of lockpicking in this one, I tells ya) and creates some tense moments. Guards are smart enough to relight fires and notice open doors, which is a clear progress since times long gone. And guys, remember, it's Garrett. The whole point of the character is that he is able to sit in the shadows right under someones nose without being noticed. It's his "gift". So a little less whining and a little more suspension of disbelief and all is fine. Also, it kinda worked the same way in the old series.

Movement is nice and smooth and feels "modern" for better or worse. There were two issues though, that I have to point out. First, Garretts sudden fear of heights sometimes robs him of his ability to jump down ledges. Kinda annoying. And second, the whole "peek in a comical fashion around the corner" thingy still doesn't feel necessary. And third, walking slowly while ducked is weird. Really weird. And forth...ah, who am I kidding there are several issues with the movement, but overall it left a positive impression on me.

Music behaves inappropriately sometimes, but there is an option to turn that sucker off and (if you are a leet hackz0r like me) to listen to your own in the background. For me it's Bob Marley since the dark ages. Get it? Dark Ages! Yeah, moving on.

Ambient sound overall is mediocre, but far from the train wreck that some reviews suggest.

Combat seems to be lacking, but I wouldn't know, since I never play combat.

Replay value is pretty big. Crank up the difficulty, turn all helpers off, put your favorite anti-frustration medicine right beside you and start having fun.

In conclusion: "Thief" proudly hold the flag of the series and stays true to it's traditions - mainly, of being the only one in it's genre, but also of being very good games with some very big flaws. Overall a solid 7.5/10, but I feel urged to rate it 9 here, just because some "zero"-reviews were clearly written by mindcontrolled apes.
  88. Mar 7, 2014
    I'm actually really enjoying thief,I haven't finished the game yet but so far I think its brilliant, the audio is pretty much the only thing that I am having issues with. The music is often too loud meaning that you cant hear dialogue, even with it turned down in the settings. Also the NPC's spouting the same drivel every 10 seconds is annoying, almost as if its just looped.
  89. Mar 6, 2014
    It really is sad, you can tell they didn't intend to make a good game, they just wanted money, with all the advertisements in ign and other networks i was hoping a good game, but what did i found?, bad mechanics (fighting mechanics are a joke), decent graphics, but totally, not next gen ones, a world that seems to be an open one, but in fact is formed by a lot of small maps and lots ofIt really is sad, you can tell they didn't intend to make a good game, they just wanted money, with all the advertisements in ign and other networks i was hoping a good game, but what did i found?, bad mechanics (fighting mechanics are a joke), decent graphics, but totally, not next gen ones, a world that seems to be an open one, but in fact is formed by a lot of small maps and lots of loading screens, repetitive game play, weird story, terrible soundtrack. I didn't like it all all. It was just a huge waste of money, I just finished the game waiting for something different to happen, and to not feel that i lose my money, but at the end nothing happened and i feel like i did lose it.
    Despite the story was weird, i will give some credit to it, it was, i would say, good, but i brought a game not a book.
  90. Mar 6, 2014
    I am great fan of the original series and this game is also awesome. I don't know what is the reason of all this hate. I love to just sneak around the city and search for loot. Of course it has some bugs, but for me it is not a big deal. I would advise everyone not to listen to butthurted masses and give this game a shot :) btw i am playing on pc and on master level :)
  91. Mar 6, 2014
    Really fun game, I think a lot of people set their expectations far too high. While their are some issues, not being able to jump I find annoying, its still a very fun game and looks great on a decent PC. Dishonored fans will enjoy. I played the original and while there's been some changes it feels very much a Thief game to me. People need to take off their rose coloured glasses whenReally fun game, I think a lot of people set their expectations far too high. While their are some issues, not being able to jump I find annoying, its still a very fun game and looks great on a decent PC. Dishonored fans will enjoy. I played the original and while there's been some changes it feels very much a Thief game to me. People need to take off their rose coloured glasses when remembering the original. Expand
  92. Mar 5, 2014
    This game itself is not a bad game but at the same time it isn't a superb game. It is a decent game, well developed, storyline is predictable, progressions is 100% linear and the game experience isn't thought-provoking. The entertainment value from start to finish is mediocre. It covers nothing original in terms of gameplay and it barely does in the areas where it can be proud of.
  93. Mar 5, 2014
    Good controls and solid visuals can not save this game from being painfully mediocre. If you enjoy running around and tapping one button to pick things up, then this is the game for you. You will not be able to wait until you can put the controller down to play something else.
  94. Mar 5, 2014
    A worth while stealth game that might not be a "true" thief game, but it still is one of the best stealth games that came out lately. Definitely worth a try, also if you do all the side quests the gameplay is around 22-25 hours, which is definitely positive.
  95. Mar 5, 2014
    WYSIWYG. It's a dark and moody stealth game reboot that's rough around the edges--not an open-world thief simulator or a pacifier for Thief purists. I'm having fun with it, even though the world DOES feel a bit too artificial. A buddy of mine likes it, but he seems to struggle with his addiction to bonking everyone on the head or the idea of avoiding contact with would-be hostiles.WYSIWYG. It's a dark and moody stealth game reboot that's rough around the edges--not an open-world thief simulator or a pacifier for Thief purists. I'm having fun with it, even though the world DOES feel a bit too artificial. A buddy of mine likes it, but he seems to struggle with his addiction to bonking everyone on the head or the idea of avoiding contact with would-be hostiles. Subtlety is NOT his forte. Oh well--I'm digging it, but it is most definitely a STEALTH GAME--not the latest and greatest example of interactive immersion. Oh, and never forget: metacritic scores DO NOT MEAN ANYTHING. Cheers. Expand
  96. Mar 5, 2014
    Thief Xbox One:

Thief Xbox One:

Generally speaking I need to play the game to obviously make a determination on the game, reviews do help but you never know its a good steak until you stick you head in the cows mouth, (think that's Tommy Boy) any way back to the review. This game couldn't be more average, I can see glimpses of awesome but quickly phase in and out like the amount of fun you will have playing this game. One extremely annoying feature is that nothing is seamless or labeled on your map, its a marker and with out it you would be totally lost as to where your mission/side mission is. I find myself entering rooms/buildings more then 3 times, unless I care to try to remember that I already have... to old and lazy at this point people, you enter a place should have a color code or label stating so. Entering another portion of the game, requires you to load, which I don't mind if the game warned you, there has been more then a few times where I say "oh, ill get that safe later" and open the window to see what is ahead, only resulting in a load time, and no way of returning until way way later if you want to reduce the mission. The game is tedious at best, if you want to really have a sneak and steal experience buy Skyrim. Please keep in mind I have never played a Thief game before this is purely a first time observation. I would wait till this game goes on super sale, but by then Thief 2 will be out which hopefully they address this game that the genre has merely no competition in.
  97. Mar 5, 2014
    This game is really bored ! You are stuck in small part of the city (really small) This is not an open world you are locked! The IA is really stupid and the hero is like a pig really slow and he don't know fight the infiltration is bored too you are obliged to wait three minutes for a guard moves 3MINS EVERY TIMES!
    Copy/paste of dishonored with new disease, If you have Dishonored don't
    Copy/paste of dishonored with new disease, If you have Dishonored don't buy this game!

French
    Ce jeu est ennuyant à tout points! vous êtes bloqué dans une petite partie de la ville et je précise ce n'est pas un monde ouvert! L 'IA est complétement stupide le héro est comme un porc lent et il ne sait pas ce battre. Si vous avez Dishonored n'aheter pas ce jeu sa n'en vaut pas la peine. Copier/colé de Dishonored avec une nouvelle maladie, Si vous avez dishonored n'acheter pas ce jeu!
  98. Mar 4, 2014
    let me start by saying the people on this site reviewing thief and giving it a bad score/review because its not the same as earlier thief games from 10 years ago are totally missing the point. you should be reviewing this game and this game only!
    its like saying the new tomb raider is a terrible game because its not like the old ones, its idiotic.
    while this game is far from perfect it
    while this game is far from perfect it has enough great elements to counter its flaws. its pretty simple actually.
    if you like stealth, exploration and loot then this is the game for you and you will be smiling as the game continues to open up and expand beyond your comprehension. on the other hand if you want a hand holding, shoot and kill everything corridor shooter, move on as there is nothing for you here!
    while at times certain controls and the city map can be the weaker points of the game i found myself playing without problems once i'd played for a few hours with the controls and through my playthrough, i only had very minimal use of the map as part of the fun was exploring and getting a feel for the city's layout.
    the best way to play this game (in my opinion) is to take your time, explore, enjoy your surroundings and mix up the play between chapters and side missions. i found that when given the choice, activating all side missions from certain characters at once and tracking the nearest mission, completing it and moving on to the next to be the most enjoyable and efficient way to proceed.
    the actual chapters (main story progression) are fantastically large and the diverse environments on offer are an intelligent change up from the main map. the asylum, brothel and bank being among my favorites.
    you want to explore everywhere and the game has a happy knack of making you feel like a king when you discover a hidden area or switch or you finally work out how to get to that door or open window.
    the melee combat does feel a little messy and is best avoided (especially if your outnumbered). That said the game does a great job of putting multiple weapons and tools in the players hands to tackle combat if you dont want to totally play stealth. the weapons feel great and the kills and knockouts can feel extremely satisfying and sneaky.
    as i said , if your willing to take your time, explore, experiment and use your brain then this is the first hidden gem of 2014. there is so much content that is so consistently rewarding that the games rough edges and few shortcomings are soon forgotten and the smile thats been on my face for the best part of 30-40 hours tells the story!!
  99. Mar 4, 2014
    After playing it, I have to say that "Thief" is a good and funny stealth game but nothing more. It´s so sad, that you as a player see so much mistakes during the game which could be erased by a little more polishing. I hope that the creators get another chance to deliver a fantastic sequel.

+ Stealth parts, atmosphere, story
    - Level design, AI, Graphics (next-gen)
  100. Mar 4, 2014
    It's a good game. Stealth is great. Game play great. Bad the freaks they are bad. Bad ai and are just annoying. Main story 8-10 hours which is good rest around 20-25. Really it's a 7.5 it's great.
  101. Feb 25, 2014
    So awesine, reminds me of Dishonored i love the stealth gameplay in this game thank you Square Enix * Eidos Montreal!!!! cant wait for a Thief 5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Mar 26, 2014
    The biggest problem for this game is every stealth game that has come since Thief: the Dark Project. Thief can’t match the visual flair and supernatural powers of Dishonored. It doesn’t have the lean efficiency and murderous creativity of the Hitman series; it trails the razor’s edge stealth and gadget lust of Splinter Cell; it lacks the vision and bombast of the Metal Gear series. Hell, it doesn’t even have a very good thief.
  2. Mar 21, 2014
    The return of the master thief Garrett is a mixed bag. Thief builds on its series proud heritage of tactile stealth, focusing on realism but loses some of the way to modern design trends. Thief has some unnecessary padding that smooth out the gameplay as well as some cinematic ambitions that do not reach all the way. Above all, it is plagued by qualitative valleys that appear to be a result of a stressed launch. Nevertheless, Thief gets a weak recommendation because the basic formula is still fun and somewhat unique.
  3. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Mar 18, 2014
    A nail-biting experience needing a few more coats of polish to stand out. [April 2014, p76]