7.7

1. Sep 14, 2014
    I loved the new survival feel in the series. The RPG elements are welcome as well as the encouragement for further tomb exploration even after the completion of the game. Excellent gameplay and graphics, insanely good job on animations too. Can't find any reason to score it less than 10
  2. Sep 8, 2014
    Let me start by saying, my review may not be accurate. It's possible that I've lost my love for games like this. There is no doubt that Tomb Raider is gorgeous to look at. And even has some fun gameplay moments. But the complete lack of a coherent story- laughable dialogue, and silly moments later in the game brought me out of it.

It's rare that I get so far into a game, and then just
    stop caring. But that's what happened here. After suffering through the later half of story, dumb puzzles, and predictable moments....I just stopped near the very end. So this game gets a 5. Because it had me---and then somehow lost me. Is it awesome to shoot and bow and arrow the first few hours? Totally. But it gets old quick, and it's clear that all they had was a cool premise.

Story matters.
  3. Sep 2, 2014
    I think this is one game where the reviews and score is about right.

Decent graphics, not as good as P.T or The last of us remastered, but better than Redux.

Gameplay is fun, it is quite similar to uncharted, but just lacks a little bit the quality uncharted brought.

Overall the best tomb raider since ps1

I suggest if you can get it for no more than £25 grab a copy
  4. Aug 31, 2014
    Very intense gameplay and a well written and weird storyline is what makes this game good but the side activities like searching tombs and discovering artifacts make only the 8-10 hour storyline good.
  5. Aug 24, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is an excellent game, with marvellous graphics and ambience. On par with Uncharted in many moments.
    But what I think is the most important aspect, in these "uncharted-like" games, is the story.
    And - in this case - the story is good... up to the final sequences. Honestly I do not understand why, after such an epic journey, the storytellers couldn't create a better ending. To me it was a bit sad to spend such an amount of time to complete the game and receive a "just sufficient" ending sequence/story. An 8.5 that could have been a 9.5 ;-)
  6. Aug 19, 2014
    An absolutely amazing and fantastic game well worth getting and I recommend it to anyone! Only disappointment is that the next game is an Xbox One exclusive.
  7. Aug 3, 2014
    Cool design & graphics! Use and type of weapons is great. Some fantastic scènes. You get brutally killed once in a while which looks great! Videos in between are cool. But they could have made the bad guys (characters) more interesting! They where pretty boring. Story was okay, but could have been much better. Quite short game too. Boss at the end is easy to beat.
  8. Jul 31, 2014
    Havent played Tomb Raider since the tomb raider legends on 360, this is a breath of fresh air for the series and could be a revival to make it a top selling game again, this is a great game with a good story and some stunning visuals, but the puzzles are really easy (but they just be a individual thing)
  9. Jul 31, 2014
    Missed this on the PS3 and glad I did as this has been a lot of fun to play. I'm not sure if I would have bought it had I already played it on the PS3 though. The only downside I would say is the Multiplayer which seems a bit unnecessary.
  10. Jul 19, 2014
    Tomb Raider Definitive Edition is one of my favorite games of all time. It perfectly balances narrating the adventure with an emotional story and characters, challenges, discovery, upgrading, with the tension of the enemy encounters being at a enjoyable juxtaposition of the beauty you see and enjoy on the island paradise. I give this game a 10, but only because the game deserves it.
  11. Jul 17, 2014
    One of the best game of 2013, it actually was a contender for the Game of the year award! Its an exceptional action game with great graphics and interesting story!
  12. Jul 16, 2014
    I thoroughly enjoyed the game and I’d rate is as the 2nd best title of 2013 (behind The Last of Us). Get the Definitive Edition if you have a PS4 or XB1 but the original is fine too because this game shouldn’t be missed. I’m not a guy who’s ever cared about trophies but I’m going to platinum this game because I love playing it so much. There is even multiplayer but I haven’t played too much of that. As of this writing, the sequel is my most-anticipated announced title and if they can build on what was delivered here while improving the quality of the supporting cast, it’ll be a GOTY candidate for 2015.

Pros:

The game is pure fun to play
    Amazing graphics and overall presentation
    Interesting progression system with RPG elements
    Interesting story with an entertaining narrative
    Unlike some similar games, there is context within the plot for all the violence
    Lots of replay value with tons of secrets to discover, the ability to revisit all locations after the endgame and online multiplayer
    Cons:
    Supporting cast isn’t well-developed

For the full reivew go here: http://pentafrag.com/tomb-raider-definitive-edition-review/
  13. Jul 15, 2014
    I have not owned a console since the Nintendo 64. Have always been a PC gamer. I got the PS4 free in a Sony promotion and borrowed this game as the first one I played. I certainly enjoyed it. Visually very good (have not played the PC version to compare). Once I got myself used to using a controller I had a lot of fun. The story is interesting. The setting was well done but a bit drab (always cloudy and night or dusk) although I suppose that was the 'atmosphere' the developers were going for.

In the end the thing that annoyed me the most was the 'on-rails' nature of the campaign. Nothing in the main campaign really required serious thinking or problem solving. It was usually just a matter of taking the very obvious route to the next marker and killing a few guys along the way. The side-quests (relics, documents, tombs) provided some interest and challenge. Speaking of challenges, it would be helpful if the game could remind you what the challenges are, because once you have passed through an area you can't go back (or at least not in any way I found) and found out again what the challenges in that area are.

Overall I enjoyed it as my first console game in years. More freedom in the single player campaign would have got it a higher rating.
  14. Jul 14, 2014
    I've only just purchased Tomb Raider for the PS4 but I can tell you, if you haven't played it before, BUY IT NOW!

It's an outstanding game with great graphics, deep gameplay, collectibles and a good story. I've not been able to put it down and with the quality of graphics, it puts down a marker for Uncharted 4.

I've not played the MP yet but I may give it a try when I'm done with the
    campaign.

Can't wait for Rise of the Tomb Raider.
  15. Jul 8, 2014
    Never played the original, picked this game up for $35 for the PS4. As my first PS4 game it was absolutely amazing, visually stunning and action packed, can't wait to see what they can do with a non-port!
  16. Jul 5, 2014
    Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition is an absolutely brilliant gaming experience. The story is gripping and creates enough suspense to where you are dying to see how it ends. The updated graphics are pleasing to the eye, leaving me to suggest this is how Lara Croft is suppose to look. If you have never played the original release of Tomb Raider, and are on the fence of whether or not to buy it, I would highly recommend this purchase. It's one of the best games out for the next-gen consoles. I don't understand the people who rate it a 0/10 because they see it as a cash grab. Maybe so, but there is also the possibility that the game developers who poured their heart and soul into this game want to do it justice. A justice that only next-gen consoles can give it. So stop whining about the price grab. Besides you are suppose to rate the game play, not a company's profit margins. Should you buy this if you already own it on current gen consoles? I would say no, but that's totally up to you and your wallet. This developer deserves all the money they get for releasing a great game. Trust me when I say that Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition will quench your thirst for an action packed adventure that will leave you by the end of the game calling Lara Croft a total bad ass. Expand
  17. Jul 4, 2014
    A cinematic, action packed gem of a game, this is how you reboot a franchise. Lara has never looked so good. A nice blend of puzzles, shoot ups and cut scenes leads to a game I just couldn't stop playing. The multiplayer is just alright but for me the main story is classic gaming. Plays just like uncharted but I thought it was better, I'm now looking forward to rise of the tomb raider to continue the new adventures of Lara croft. Expand
  18. Jun 30, 2014
    Finished this game an hour ago. Well i already finished the PS3 version. So this is going to be an "upgrade" on my previous PS3 review. Definitive Edition got a total upgrade in the character's graphics and run in 60fps, which makes the game run sooo smooth. Basically it's already a great game, and with this upgrade on PS4, totally worth playing for. If you haven't played the PS3 version, get the PS4 version. Definitive Edition is almost flawless. It doesn't have any problems from the PS3 version, run on 60fps and Total HD.

This game is 9.5/10 for me
  19. Jun 25, 2014
    I'm telling you... WOW. If you're waiting, don't. Let me preface by saying, I'm an older gamer. My favorites are RPG's. Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Skyrim, Fallout, etc. Those are my kinds of games. This game probably more closely resembles Mass Effect in that the story, action, gameplay, suspense, action, surprises, fast pace, etc etc are really spot on. What a fantastic job this studio did in creating this experience. Again, It's Action/story/screenplay with good writing and direction all wrapped up into a video game that I look for. If this sounds like you, trust me, you won't be disappointed. The gravy is this: It gets better as it goes. YOU get better as you go. The only negative is that it will end eventually. I could play this s*** forever. XBOX one had it cheaper for gold members (aside from gamely if you're a member) than PS4. $36 compared to $59. If they could put this kind of action and suspense into an actual tomb raider movie.. dam... that would be a helluva movie. I swear to you, you're in for a ride. Best Tomb Raider ever made. You'll see. Enjoy!!! Oh by the way.. PC gamers... I get it, but the big screen with surround on a console? It's Just more fun. Expand
  20. Jun 10, 2014
    I'm giving this game a 7. It is definitely a good game but it kind of has no purpose once you beat it. I went through and got all the extras and beat the game on the hardest difficulty, but I just had no reason to ever play it again. I beat it twice and haven't touched it since. It's a great game but I wish there was more to do or it had a good reason to play it again.
  21. Jun 8, 2014
    I had a frustrating experience with this game. I didn't play TR 2013, so this Definitive Edition was my first experience with the reboot.

The game starts really well, mixing intense action, exploration and suspense moments like when Lara is in dark cave surrounded by wolf sounds. Unfortunately the game quickly lost its tempo and becomes incredibly boring. As the games goes on you
    realize that there are few interesting things to explore outside the main plot, actually you realize that you are playing a third-person shooter, instead of an action-adventure one.

No problems at all with playing third-person shooter, actually its a solid game in that aspect, but I think its way too repetitive, with its cover based arena combats. You just get the feeling that you are facing the same enemies in the same combat, over and over, and over, and over again. It doesn't matter if Lara is fighting against samurai like warriors or against the fanatics inhabitants, the combat is the same. For example, in order to flush Lara (you) out of cover, the inhabitants will throw grenades, and the ancient warriors will throw some explosive artifacts that sound like grenades, and damages like grenades. Even the fight against the big final boss, is similar to a fight against another big guy in the middle of the game.

The main story is uninspiring, predictable and with stereotypical characters. Even Lara lacks depth. Game developers gave many interviews saying they wanted to show a more human aspect of Lara, unfortunately, it means Lara is pictured as a fragile girl 90% of the time, even when she is killing 20 men with big weapons, she keeps crying things like "stop it, please!".

The story is also...repetitive. For so many times, after entering a new area, you hear Lara's enemies talking about how they hate the island but need to follow Mathias' weird orders and be ready "for the girl". Lara makes a colossal effort to rescue her friend Sam from the fanatics leader Mathias, just to see Sam captured again few moments later...here we go again in a "save Sam from Mathias" mission.

There are some very good puzzles in the game, but those moments are very few.

The graphics and art direction are really good, but I don't know if it also happened in the ps3 edition from 2013, but the characters lack expression. Lara has the same blank expression the whole game. After playing AC: Black Flag, is impossible to not get disappointed with its aspect of Tomb Raider reboot.

The game has potential, tough, the chaotic feel of the combats are really enjoyable but needs more diversity, and the game deserves credit for trying to develop Lara as character.

Tomb Raider DE is a solid game, but its also a short and frustrating experience.
  22. Jun 5, 2014
    The game is visually stunning with tons of aesthetic ambience. The setting treated as a character is highly developed. Lara is well designed, fun to play, smart and without those awful stigmas from older games.
    But the game is full of AWFUL quick time events and difficulty spikes that are misplaced and unbalanced which drag the game down from what should have been a fantastic game!

Definitive Edition update: Impressive looking on the PS4 with nice touches such as using the touch pad for torch lighting and changing LED lights (though gimmicky). I don't like that the game fully installs but the disc spins the whole time, that seems stupid and wasteful on the hardware!
  23. Jun 2, 2014
    This is definitely a great game that no fan of this genre should overlook. The story is pretty good, lasting me about 12-14 hours (yet to complete any extras such as tomb raiding the optional tombs) and I enjoyed every moment of it. The graphics are nothing less than stellar. Gameplay is quite like any other game of this genre like Uncharted for example and the AI is decent, though I am impressed by the amount of bombs/molotovs they are able to carry around. I haven't tried multiplayer mostly because I'm not subscribed to PS+ yet but I have heard that very few to no one are playing it so it will be the point deductor since it seems to be tacked on last minute, just my opinion.
    This game is worth the full price if you have yet to experience it on any previous platforms. But is it worth a repurchase, not really, you're pretty much paying a new game's price for better graphics.
  24. May 31, 2014
    Great game with great graphics and a great story.... For about 6 hours. Then it is and empty open world game with boring collectibles and NO side quests. There are some tombs that give it a little more play time but don't do much. Could have been great but lacks in replayability and overall length. Its like watching a TV show that only has one very short but powerful episode. Great and all, but if its shorter than most tutorials... why bother? Expand
  25. May 29, 2014
    Graphics: 8.5 Sound: 9.0 Gameplay: 8.5 Fun/Story: 8.8

Despite the graphics improvements i think this is another last generation game. Who played it first should´t buy it now, because visuals aren´t outstanding and the rest aspects remain the same. Although who haven´t played it before it´s a consistent purchase.
  26. May 25, 2014
    I had previously completed this on the Xbox 360 and I enjoyed a single play-through very much. So why go back again ? Simply put in a shallow way, better graphics. The levelling up system could have been more in depth and technical but I guess the developers have kept things simple so as to appeal to the masses. Lara hasn't looked this good for a long time !
  27. May 24, 2014
    First and foremost, whether you think this remake is worth full price is up to your own beliefs. In my opinion, the Definitive Edition is completely worth the full price of 60 dollars. What is included in this remake: the full game (1080p and 60 fps on PS4), new outfits for Lara, all the dlc multiplayer maps.

Story- great, but nothing special. Great main protagonist and interesting side
    characters,but bland antagonist.

Graphics- one word= beautiful. The island Lara is stranded on (that I forget the name of) is amazing and very detailed. It's obvious that the developers put a lot of time and effort into creating a beautiful and detailed world. Lara's model is one of the best and she (and her HAIR) looks even better in this remake.

Gameplay- one of the most fun experiences I've had in a video game in a while. The combat is fluid and fast-paced. Upgrades are available for all weapons and skills. One negative is the amount of QTEs during combat.

My one major negative is the multiplayer which is still as bad as the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions.
  28. May 19, 2014
    I don't do many reviews nor have I had the privilege of owning any other Tomb Raider games but this is pretty much the only game I purchased where I felt I got my $60 worth . The game runs smooth , the characters are extremely believable and you can see all the hard work that was put into this game. The music works extremely awesome with the game as well . If you love action games that have somewhat of a "RPG" Element to them , than I highly suggest checking this game out. You won't regret it. Expand
  29. Apr 29, 2014
    Definitive Edition was the perfect sub-heading to this game. That is exactly what it is, Tomb Raider the way it was meant to be played. As in life it's the little things that count, and as you emerge from that first cave and see that gorgeous sunrise cascading across the island and Lara struggling to stand with strands of her hair blowing in the wind (yep she's got strands now) you will know without a doubt that Square Enix has a hell of a ride in store for you.
    The designers have pulled out all the stops and have provided some of the best interior designs I've seen outside of the uncharted franchise. Lara struggles through her journey at first and although scared and unsure of herself she never feels helpless. The voice acting along with the intricate facial animation make for an emotional journey and along the adventure you sincerely want Lara to succeed. Of coarse we all know she makes it out in one piece, and eventually grows pyramid shaped breasts.
  30. Apr 28, 2014
    Though a beautiful game to look at and good fun while it lasts, the Tomb Raider reboot simply doesn't last long enough to justify it's hefty price tag. Easily finished in a day, it might take you a second or third day to get to 100% complete with all the collectibles. The online play is dull, and, and the engaging campaign was over all too quickly.

Story-wise, Lara's journey from a
    skeptical, wet-behind-the-ears scholar to the near-unstoppable force of nature she was in her PS1 days is great, and of all the Tomb Raider games, this is the first one that really made me care about the character.

I hope the series continues, and I really hope the next entry gives us more to do in the campaign mode.
  31. Apr 27, 2014
    You cant say this game is a cash grab because it was released for the PS4 with higher resolution and textures! Yes, if you played this game on ps3 or xbox 360. then theres no point in getting it. But The game is amazing on ps4! if you haven't played it! GET IT!
  32. Apr 26, 2014
    Wow this game just looks beautiful on the PS4. The weather effects are beautiful look so good. If you have not played the original on PS3, Xbox 360 or PC this is a must have. Though if you are an old school Tomb Raider fan you may be a little disappointed with the game being cover shooter and not based on the puzzles
  33. Apr 21, 2014
    Three quarters into the game, three questions come to mind. Will one ever be able to re-sell a digital copy? How does an anemic, lobotomized Uncharted clone earn 85 on Metacritic? And where did the actual tombs and raiding go?

One will never know. What stays for sure is poor writing, bland characters, clunky controls, dull levels and unremarkable gunplay. All the frosting can't quite
    obscure a dud. Expand
  34. Apr 17, 2014
    This game is beautiful! I loved the level of character engagement you get with Lara and just makes you want to root for her the more you play. The weapon upgrades are pretty nice too and feel substantial. If you are into story and want to be taken for a ride then this game is for you.
  35. Apr 12, 2014
    While this game did not exactly need an upgrade to PS4 and Xbox One, it is nice that they improved the graphics and tweaked it so that there is a constant FPS of 60 on PS4 (sorry Xbone fans :( ).

The story and gameplay are equally as great as it was on PS3. The multiplayer is again not necessary, but the FPS during multiplayer is GREATLY improved from PS3.

If you already own TR on
    PS3, there is no need to buy this on PS4. Expand
  36. Apr 7, 2014
    When I first got this game, I played for a couple hours and quickly got bored. So after a few days I put it back in, turns out it is just really slow to start....you don't start out with any cool weapons and you have to hide a lot. This game definitely gets better and even great after the 4-5 hour mark. Graphics are the best I have seen in a launch title and it was a very fun platinum to earn...a lot of collectibles. The multiplayer is OK, but getting to level 60 is just a grind because the MP isn't that fun and most of the time your teammates don't know what the hell they are doing. Expand
  37. Apr 6, 2014
    If you have played the PS3 version of this game don't bother with it on PS4 as it's just a cosmetic upgrade. However if you haven't you're in for a treat as the gameplay and storyline are great and very involving. One of the best games available out there for PS4 and in these first 6 months there's not many good ones to choose from.
  38. Mar 30, 2014
    What a fantastic game! I was never very interested in Tomb Raider, but heard great things about this reboot. It was the first game I purchased when I bought a PS4, and no regrets! The gameplay is great, story pacing is good, and graphics and voice acting wonderful! I highly recommend it.

I briefly dipped into the multiplayer aspect of the game, but didn't enjoy it. May just not have
    been for me. Expand
  39. Mar 29, 2014
    An excellent game. The story: 9. Graphics: 9. Gameplay: 9. Multiplayer: POINTLESS! One of the few games released on the PS4 that's actually worth 60 dollars.
  40. Mar 23, 2014
    Tomb Raider Definitive Edition is an amazing game, beautiful graphics, thrilling story, they involve you in the cut scenes too to ensure that you don't fall asleep (not that you will), tons of collectables, secret tombs, documents to read to learn more about where you are, great combat, etc…GO BUY IT!
  41. Mar 21, 2014
    I finally managed to beat this game. I first got it on a sale on the PC but never got around to beating it. When amazon had a sale on this game for the PS4 I jumped on it. This game is worth the full price and is meant for newcomers to the series, or those who had the PS3 / 360 version and wanted to play the game on 1080P. This game is an upscaled port, nothing more (other than the DLC). People who rate it down (below a 5) because it's an upscale port and not a new game are well...not the brightest individuals.

I honestly don't know how long it took to beat (I didn't keep track of the hours) but I would say that the game had medium length. There was never a dull moment in the game either. The graphics are amazing for a console game. Frame rates were pretty smooth but I did notice a few drops during some scenes. Nothing to downrate the game for.

I thought that the new face was nice. It gave more life to Lara. I love the voice commands. But I did notice that sometimes it would randomly pause the game when I had the fan on. I never was into the old school Lara Croft games (I'm 24), but I really enjoyed this game. This game is probably the most underrated game that I have ever played. It's such a shame that people are downrating it due to the price.

Pros:
    +Graphics
    +Controls
    +Voice Commands
    +Includes all DLC
    +Game length is perfect
    +Fun gameplay
    +Great story
    +Great performance

Cons:
    -Price (not worth it to down vote the game)
    -Some issues with voice command if you have background noise
    -Although the story was great, I felt that the ending didn't do the game justice. Especially the final boss "fight".
    It felt like the minions leading up to the main villain were more of a fight than the actual villain.
  42. Mar 21, 2014
    Good as it was the first time but with spangly new graphics. Outside of this its not much different so if you loved it get it again if not, no reason to get it again.
  43. Mar 20, 2014
    A truly superb game made with obvious love and care that is uncommon in today's industry. I thoroughly enjoyed my time with the game and as of 20th March 14, it's still the best title on PS4.
  44. Mar 20, 2014
    This a gritty, dark, fact-paced adventure that doesn't sugar coat the hopelessness of the situation Lara is in. With a story that is full of fluid and brutal combat, intense cut scenes and brilliant visuals you will feel almost as out of breath as Lara is by the end of the story.

However, having no prior knowledge or experience with the previous games of the franchise i had no idea of
    the supernatural elements this game had, taking me completely by suprise i am not sure how i feel about it. I came into this game expecting a (somewhat) realistic adventure, but i can't argue with the source material can i? Despite a few frame rate issues this game ran smoothly on my PS4, i recommend this game to any and all PS4 owners. Expand
  45. Mar 19, 2014
    Yep--this is the best version of the best game to ever sport the Tomb Raider name. It's really just a graphical update that increases the visual fidelity to the mid-level gaming-PC range. Is it a must-buy if you played it on the 360 or PS3? No--but it IS nice for those who, like myself, love the new direction that the reborn Lara Croft is heading in. Honestly, I want to see a truly open-world type thing with no QTEs and something a bit less linear. Oh, and NO frickin' pointless multiplayer.

If you have no idea who Lara Croft or have yet to raid your first tomb, then this is the best place to start, boys and girls. But don't take my--or anyone's--word for it--go try it for yourself.
  46. Mar 16, 2014
    This is an excellent game. Can't really fault much in it. Dropped one mark as the bad guys are a bit dumb, nearly always looking the wrong way when you meet them. And the difficulty levels are quite pointless. I imagine all they do is determine how many hits Lara can take before dying. You can change them during play from the menu which I find really weird.
    Nonetheless, great graphics,
    loads of areas to explore, heaps of atmosphere and a perfect amount of (up-gradable) weapons. It also has the best shooting controls I've used, better than most FPS games.

Any reviews docking marks because it's a port or remake should be disregarded. These reviews tell nothing about the game and detract from the average score by being an opinion article rather than a review. I don't have a high end PC or PS3 so this is my first time seeing or playing this game, other reviews should be written from the same perspective. Review the game as it is and leave your preconceptions at the door.
  47. Mar 15, 2014
    more of the same of the amazing game that was released last year with better visuals & frame rates sure you get the tacked on dlc for the online for free but i never played that part of the game laura has some amazing charector development the supporting cast not so much but you actually care for her which is a rarity for female heroes or heroes at all in gaming these days
  48. Mar 15, 2014
    So yesterday I finally took that step and traded in my XBox One for a beautiful new PS4. Titanfall for me pushed me to do the deed and change platforms. Tomb Raider is the first game that I have popped into the PS4 and I just cannot stop playing it. The up scaling for next gen is amazing. I have a friend who owns this on the XBox One and it looks just as amazing on the X1 as it does on my PS4. Great game play with maybe an average storyline that does nothing to take away from the enjoyment of this great game. This game is a must. Lara has never looked better. This is the game that Uncharted peeps need to keep their eyes on. Future Tomb Raider games could easily challenge uncharted in a big way. Expand
  49. Mar 14, 2014
    A lot of detail was put into this game. The hard work shows in its level design and character design. The action sequences are plentiful and weapon customization is well balanced. The controls are tight but could use some work. I can be a bit to easy, and the quick time events are a bit repetitive and boring at times. The only frustration I went through is dying due to my own mistakes, whether I didn't aim properly or I didn't take cover. "Cover is your friend." I would have like to see my hand to hand combat. I would have also liked them to expand a bit more in the sand box area, while improving on the RPG elements, with better leveling up of Lara's abilities. All in all, this is a good game and is a good pick for those looking for a action adventure game. It may not fully stack up to Uncharted in the cinematic department but still a must play. Even with its small short comings, this game will have you routing for Lara, from start to finish. Also, this version of Lara is WAY easier to look at than the beach ball chested version from prior games. Expand
  50. Mar 14, 2014
    Some wapanese-produced drake's influenced game with a little retexture of main character and nothing more for money that i spend. Don't matter what version you have. Game itself is lame on every console.
  51. Mar 13, 2014
    Tomb Rider: Definitive Edition is a decent adventure game. It is closest to Uncharted series in story telling, gameplay and environment. And this is great! Also it is really great looking game with features that utilizes new features on PS4 as voice control, in game pad speaker, light bar and touch pad.

Graphics is nice. Every level is has nice environments to wow about and don’t be
    bored.

The game play is nice. Shooting is fun, but experience points are making it really interesting and always pushing player to experiment with ways to kill enemies. Climbing is ok. Not too many of it. This is good point btw.

Finding relics, challenges and hidden tombs are nice additions to game mechanic. You can see what you have found and get a few experience points with that. What I really enjoyed is that there is a skill that helps you find stuff and more over a map that shows location for relics can be found on each level. This map has all hidden objects on it. It’s nice idea for people who want to get 100% completion. I like to find stuff myself but not spend hours looking for it or ‘cheating’ by reading walkthrough.

One downside about this game is that it is starting to get boring almost at the end and no desire to replay it even once after everything is done. Though it’s a nice adventure worth taking on ps4.
  52. Mar 12, 2014
    This is the most truthful review you will read. This game possesses all of the characteristics to make it look and feel epic. I loved it. There was excitement, thrills, chills, and breathtakingly beautiful moments. It felt like Far Cry 3 in terms of realistic characters and desperation in Lara's determination to see the plot to its outcome. Do yourself a favor and pick up the PS4 version. There is a noticeable difference in the graphics between the superior PS4 and the Xbox One. Expand
  53. Mar 10, 2014
    This was one of the best games from 2013, the story was intense and the gameplay was fun. If you didn't play this when it first came out, you have to play it on next gen.
  54. Mar 6, 2014
    Well, what can I say. I hate the character design and the voice acting and well....the story as well. Problem is...its still fun as hell. Multiplayer is total garbage, I really wish the DLC had been tombs to raid, and that the price was lower....considering the only thing new for me (who beat it on PC the year before) was multiplayer maps and trophies (of which half are multiplayer so I can never platinum this game!) Lara looks great and the game runs super smooth and the pacing is amazing...I went right through it in 2 days and my girlfriend even got half way through before I traded it. Again, had it had some new content or a lower price I'd rate it higher. Expand
  55. Mar 5, 2014
    It's a great game, a must have. Graphics are superb, Lara's animation is so realistic and life-like. The enemies are a little too easy to kill (in normal mode at least), but it doesn't ruin combat. And please, if you bought the original game, don't buy this one. The "Definitive Edition" is just improved graphics for the new generation of video game consoles. And it comes with all the multiplayer DLCs. Expand
  56. Feb 24, 2014
    This is hands down the most entertaining Tomb Raider game I have ever played. By that I mean the controls and gameplay are top notch, but it being on PS4 gives it the ability to surpass the graphical experience of any previous game. This is how Tomb Raider should always have looked, which is probably why it's being called "definitive." :)
  57. Feb 22, 2014
    Tomb raider is one the best adventures of the past and the new generation of games. This is really the definitive edition, with a lara more Realistic and better graphics.
  58. Feb 21, 2014
    Tomb Raider is such a great game, from the graphics to the gameplay to the puzzles and even to the tiny little details they have throughout this whole game just blows me away. From start to finish I was more than entertained I was hooked! ( can't forget the beautiful 50-60fps that it plays with throughout the whole game, xbone can't even maintain 30fps, ha )

Also, keep in mind the xbox
    one version we Expand
  59. Feb 18, 2014
    The better of Tomb Raider Saga since the first one.
    I love this game, i love Lara and all the small details in the game.
    The audio is superb, graphic is not the 100% of PS4 but it's great, remember it's one of the first game available on PS4.
    If you don't buy this game, you are crazy!
  60. Feb 16, 2014
    Never got the chance too look at the new Tomb Raider at the 'old-gen' consoles or PC. But -- hey! -- now I definitely do not see any possible reason to rant about "Full price?! Are devs are MAD?!?"

I think that new TR definitely pays all the money I bought it with -- fast paced, interesting story, appealing characters and so on. Never was a fan of old Lara Croft series, but this -- this
    is a reboot very well done, sirs.

Maybe, just maybe, if you already finished old gen version with 100% score there is nothing for you in this Definitive Edition. If not -- do not hesitate to give it a chance.
  61. Feb 11, 2014
    Tomb Raider is a solid game and a long-overdue reboot for the franchise. The graphics is amazing, Lara looks so realistic and the brilliant voice acting really brings her character to life. Although Lara's transition to being a hardcore killer (since just before she could barely survive) is a bit sudden, the story does a great job at characterizing the new, and more vulnerable, Lara Croft as she witnesses many terrible tragedies during her journey. You play as Lara Croft, stuck on an island with her crew mates who she must find. Sounds typical I know, but the game puts you in her shoes. You feel sympathy for her as she faces dangerous situations that you'd think she alone couldn't handle. This game is a showcase for the new Lara Croft, but the rest of the characters, even the villain, are pretty forgettable. The gameplay is a bit like Uncharted but it's fun and while they share many similarities, Tomb Raider has many differences that makes the game distinct (such as stealth elements and weapon upgrades). Sure, it can be compared but the Tomb Raider franchise can stand on it's own and not feel like a rip off (Lara came first but I personally prefer Uncharted). Multiplayer is pretty boring as you have your standard game modes, found in many shooters, and only few maps. The Definitive Edition has more multiplayer content but it's still doesn't have any depth. Although the multiplayer is unimpressive (at least it's not broken), the game's single-player campaign is all that defines Tomb Raider. The multiplayer doesn't ruins any chances of having a fully remarkable gaming experience. This has been a review of the original game as the Definitive Edition won't have much differences of opinion. All it is is a higher definition version of the game (doesn't beat PC but this is console we're talking about) with a few new contents and all the DLCs. But they're selling it for full price and that's not worth it (to me at least) if you already own or played the original game. If you're interested in the new Lara Croft, you can pick up the Definitive Edition if you want (assuming money isn't an issue). Otherwise, save your money and pick up the original which should be fairly cheap now. The graphic details in the Definitive Edition isn't a huge improvement over the original so you can just stick with it. The bonus contents is just there so that the Definitive Edition doesn't feel like a pure cash-grab. Without it, and all the DLCs, you won't feel like you're missing out on anything because the original already has the full package. If you're a diehard fan, no doubt you'll buy it without even reading any reviews. If you're the type of person who wants to experience the differences yourself, then I guess it's worth a rental. Expand
  62. Feb 11, 2014
    Where can i start, the graphics are stunning, lara is stunningly realistic and life like, the enviromental graphics are not as good but good enough. The controls are smooth and responsive, the storyline is pretty much got stuck on a island, man men after you, and you have to take control, bang some heads and get the hell outta there. the weapons for the most part are you typical traditional ones, you get to upgrade laras abilities/perks and weapons and tools. the climbing aspect of the game is extremely intuitive and user friendly, and never feels repetitive and frustrating. If you have played the original one, then apart from a bit of superficial extra content there's not much reason to purchase again. But still it's without a doubt one of the best third person action/adventure games i have ever played. Expand
  63. Feb 7, 2014
    It crashed on me during a cut-scene, corrupting my file, and I lost all progress. Be prepared for that reality.

The combat was smooth, the graphics were very impressive, exploring was okay (it was another Easter egg hunt), the puzzles were not memorable, and the story was weak with characters being unrelatable. It was sold as "Lara's first adventure in an story of survival!" This is
    your typical cliche action game where the character always takes Option A and it works. "Oh, but there's crying!"

People make decisions based on objectives, and we choose paths that are most useful to ourselves via cost/benefit analysis. It's a weighing process of truths and possibilities. The objectives in the game are cliche; "You'll have to go to the ___ to turn on the ___, in that abandoned ___."
    Why go there? What are the odds of success? What dangers could be there? How does a character never setting foot in the story's location know where to go, if there is equipment there, let alone if it works properly? There is a lot of this contrived junk in the story. When the objectives don't prove to be logical or significant, then you're convinced the character just acts because someone else tells them and they lose believability. Ironically, she continues to say, "Oh my god, this is so stupid." Yes, it is. How does a college girl survive the wild again? At least we could imagine the first Lara spent her riches on some military training. There were some use of 'deus ex machina' too. "How is Lara ever going to get out of this one?!" Oh, there is a grenade launcher at her feet. Triumph ensues.

In conclusion, it's a pretty game with a pretty female for fan-boys to marvel and fill their fantasies with... and their socks. If this game wasn't full of decision-making found in a slasher horror flick, I might have enjoyed it more; not forgetting the game crash. I always appreciate unstable games; they always remind me of my precious time and then I remind sellers by returning them. It's bittersweet, really.
  64. Feb 6, 2014
    Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition isn't some quick cash-in like Call of Duty
    Pros:
    -Good story plot
    -Well told story
    -Smart A.I.
    -Great Gameplay
    -Well Voice Acted
    Cons:
    -Graphics aren't up to par (but who cares about graphics anyways)
    -Some Animations are a bit sloppy at times
    Recommendation:Tomb Raider fans...and many other gamers
  65. Feb 6, 2014
    My second run through this game from last gen to current, so you can tell I was more than happy to replay it again, The games fast pace action adventure edge of your seat blockbuster explosions and flawless action with claustrophobic tombs and caves make tomb raider a definitive tomb raider game, A step up from the previous games for sure, although with a few faults I hope they improve on in the squeal, for starters this game had way to many explosions and over the top countless enemy's red barrels yes red barrels, cool down on this and blend in more exploring tombs and going against just the right amount of enemy's similar to what arkham city did. Expand
  66. Feb 5, 2014
    I bought this game for Xbox One because there are not so much titles you can buy right now for this platform. I must say I was a little bit scared, because this is my first Tomb Raider game and I had no plan what is waiting for me in this game.
    I must say, that this is a very good game, maybe the best I played since last summer. Maybe not because graphics, I think the Xbox One could do a
    lot more than this. But the storyline and the gameplay is in my opinion very great, you can play offensive and also "defensive". The AI is challenging if you play on hard i think and also the discoverable objects, which give you more story background are well done.
    Of course, it's a remake of an Xbox360-Version, so I wouldn't buy this for Xbox One if I had bought the game for Xbox360.
    All in all my opinion:
    + Good story plot
    + Well told story
    + Well AI for every type of gamer
    + Nice gameplay
    + Quite good graphics...
    - ...but for "Next-Gen" not enough
    - a more non-linear story could be nice
  67. Feb 5, 2014
    Id rather have the locked 30 FPS on XONE because when the frames jump around on PS4 its Hurts my eyes and i just don't enjoy the mixed content. I'm guessing why the XONE version has a better rating
  68. Feb 5, 2014
    I will start out by stating I am writing this review based on the merits of the game itself. If you dislike the price or the promotion of the game you should note that in the review but it should not change your rating of the game as that is based on content alone. The game looks better than its previouis gen counterparts, particularly Lara's animation. While there is slight overkill with the QTE's the varied gameplay mechanics are a welcome departure from previous TR titles where it was mainly a focus on puzzles and platforming, with a couple spots of run and gun thrown in. The vulnerability of the main character continues to be the biggest selling point of the story. At every turn Lara becomes isolated and must dig deep to accomplish the necessary task. Graphics are not the best on the next gen but the lush environments almost make it seem so as they pop off the screen. As far as the publisher issue no one is making people rebuy this game. If you want to then go for it. It was created for next gen owners who didnt play TR the first go round with the hopes of a few double dips. Cash grab? Maybe. Should that lower the merits of the game or its rating? Nah. I give it a 9. Expand
  69. Feb 4, 2014
    Last Night, I completed Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition on my PS4, I went to Gamestop and ordered the game earlier before the big launch and I just can't get enough of the action and suspense that has turned the franchise to a whole new battleground. I love how Crystal Dynamics just easily announced it 2 months ago and now it's finally here! Despite the addition to multiplayer (which people are getting tired of), everything that they learned was a piece of cake. This is my pick for Game of the Year for 2013 because it doesn't matter which critically-acclaimed game gets the big prize, you just have to play the game and then relieve it once more. What a phenomenal year for the reboot of Tomb Raider. The story is awesome, incredible updated graphics, intense gameplay (you might have to watch the cutscenes), and I'm so glad that the ESRB just stepped up to the plate and gave this the first M-rated game in the series. A big kudos to Camilla Luddington. I love her on Grey's Anatomy, she did one hell of a performance as a young Lara Croft who is going to test her skills to take on her biggest and dangerous challenge before she was the adventurer we know and loved since the original version in 1996. I just don't like the Multiplayer mode, that's all because I hope they should not add another one while making #10 anytime soon before E3. So I might wanna reconsidered it CD a little bit and try to add single-player DLC. If you haven't played last year's version on PS3, I suggest you should either keep it with your library or just trade it. Because once you experienced it on the PS4, there's no telling what you're in for. Expand
  70. Feb 4, 2014
    I had already bought this game on xbox360,but i though i would give it a try on ps4 since not many games are out for ps4 yet. It content was improved by a long shot, but i did not enjoy playing it again if only they added extra side quests or different content.

Over all its a quite good start to next gen lineup

Maki.
  71. Feb 3, 2014
    This is what the PlayStation 4 was made for! On a well calibrated 1080p plasma screen, the solidity, clarity and sheer beauty of the graphics are simply mind-blowing, and really brings the whole game to life. I played this on PS3 last year, and loved the game even if I might prefer the more puzzle-balanced earlier games, but the shockingly beautiful realization here adds a great amount to the experience, and makes you wanna hang around to pick up every last relic and complete every challenge for 100% completion, just because it's such a fantastic place to be. This really makes it one of my absolute favourite games of all time. Thank you, Crystal Dynamics, I'm very happy to see how much love you put into this, Lara's future is in the best of hands with you guys. Expand
  72. Feb 3, 2014
    This game is a prettier version of a dull game. If you are a graphic junkie, then this is worth it...maybe. Last year's edition was suppose to be emotionally engaging, and was up until the point where the person you're supposed to want to protect picks up an Ak47 and starts mowing bad dudes over like a overgrown lawn. The story is pretty mediocre, nothing you can't get from a hundred other games, movies, TV, books, or talking to an old drunk at a bar. Expand
  73. Feb 2, 2014
    I owned this on PS3 an loved it. And I do not feel ripped off for buying a game I had for better graphics. Why would I? They aren't tricking anyone, they've stated plainly that's what this is and then you can choose to buy it or not.
    As you've heard, this isn't a simple resolution bump. They have warranted the selling price for me.

Even near the beginning, as I was on a cliff, seeing
    the wrecked ship down below, there was smoke and debris thick in the air, while birds flew in the distance, I marveled at the scene with all this happening at once without a stutter or pop in.
    I'm a console guy, so to play such a scene, where as far as the eye could see, everything remained detailed with no pop in of any kind.....that alone is worth the money, since underneath the graphics lie a fun and great controlling game. They did a top notch job, quality like no other.

At this point, I have CoD: Ghosts, BF4, Killzone and AC4. Now Tomb Raider. Tomb is the best looking of some damn good looking games.
    Thank you, Crystal Dynamics, for making an already great game so much better.

And those complaining about the price: If you're that cheap, you just get it when it's older. It's not as though games don't go on sale or drop.
    The only things that matter is for your money you will get an exceptionally well made game any action/adventure fan should love. They may play towards the same type of gamer, but I think this game is better than any of the Uncharted.
    Well acted. Fun story. Incredible graphics. I've no regrets, I love this game as much now as I did a year ago. It's a game I'm proud to own. No trading in this one!
  74. Feb 1, 2014
    I played this one on ps3, but i really enjoy playing it on ps4. Me and alot of friends who play this have so much fun with iT. Graphics are very Nice and realistic and the 60 frames per second on ps4 runs smooth as butter . This is one of the best games on ps4 richt now . Gameplay is pitch perfect with Some Nice weather physics. Survival instinct is a helpfull feature to see everything black white and enemy in red, but you can also play the game without using this instinct :) iTS all up to the player .
    Replay value is great , you can return to all the camp fires for finding extra optional tombs or collectibles, gps signals, relics, exploring open world levels or just go hunting in the Woods.
    Multiplayer is fun, iTS like uncharted but better bedauwen of all the guns + bows and being able to shoot with your single gun when you got shot and are dying on the ground in multiplayer.

Deffenitely one of the best action adventure games on ps4,
    A much smoorher and more Nice looking 60fps remake off the game i played on ps3 last year
    Must buy if you didnt play iT but also a must buy if you already played iT on ps3 because iTS gonna be a trilogy on ps4. I gotta have iT in my collection.
    Best looking Lara croft, and Hours of fun. At least around 20 Hours for story if you also explore tombs and add replay= worth buying
    Source= i played iT on ps3 and ps4
  75. Feb 1, 2014
    I'll be brutally honest in that this is Lara's PS3 version with a stunning makeover and that's really it for big changes. That being said, it's certainly worth the purchase because not only does it showcase the potential of the PS4, it brings back the fluidity and brilliance of one of the best games made in the last few years. It's the best PS4 game thus far and a must own.
  76. Jan 31, 2014
    Tomb Raider at one time was a great game series. I remember the thrill of playing Tomb Raider 2 for the first time on PC and thinking it was something special. Now: the series is stale and really should have fade out by now. Tomb Raider tries so hard to be edgy, gritty and fresh that it falls flat on its face. The game feels more like just a video game than any other in the series. The levels (or fake open world) are so badly designed that I (for the first time in my gaming life) just pushed forward and ran past every enemy just to try beat the game so I could trade it. The weapons are useless the enemies hilarious and the plot and cut scenes feel like a deliberately badly made comedy. One section had a locked door and you had to run around a square section of forest with perfectly placed video game platforms to gather wood to upgrade a weapon. I honestly nearly fell asleep.

The game really is a snooze fest I didn’t even bother to complete it. Compared to the last few games I've played The Last Of Us, Bioshock Infinite, GTA 5 (All on ps3). This feels like it belongs on the PS2. Okay, the graphics are nice in places but that doesn’t matter because you spend half the time looking at them in black and white. Yes, they may have spent hours upon hours creating some quite stunning environments but then some idiot though it was a good idea to give you survival sense which takes away all the lovely colors and makes you feel as if your playing the game on an old black and white TV. Why? They could use a GPS system like in Dead Space which doesn’t affect the colour on screen and is not intrusive.. For me this was a real game breaker, it really pulled me out of the game and made me realise, this is just a game.

The plot is not really there either. I skipped half the cut scenes because they were so dull (not something I’d usually do). Also the characters were bland, the script laughable and Lara was dam annoying.

I really wouldn’t recommend this game to anyone who has been playing games for the last twenty years. Kids and new players will no doubt find it fun and challenging but to any seasoned gamers it’s a stale game from a dying series.
  77. Jan 31, 2014
    As for my PS3 this game has been quite enjoyable, but an extra 60 Bucks for some high resolution textures? Come on, you can't be serious about that, right?
    I would be willing to pay an extra of 10 $ for that, but definitely not the full price.
  78. Jan 30, 2014
    so people give this game a negative review because it has Quick Time Events , thats just sad , honestly this game is quite good , i owned the ps3 version before this version and its a huge upgrade , first of all the graphics are breathtaking running at 1080p 60fps for most of the game , second of all its much easier to find the hidden collectibles because the game has better lighting in darker areas of the map then on ps3 , i had a hard time finding them on ps3 now they are pretty simple to find , the added touch pad and voice commands add a new dimension to the game and are quite simple to use , if you haven't played this game on any other old gen console , you will love it , it reminds me of Uncharted but with added quick time events added , there are lots of treasures , relics , maps to find and over 10 hidden tombs to explore , puzzles challenges , this game will keep you busy , the multi player is also not too bad , you can set up private matches if you prefer to get the trophies on your own , anyways overall it looks great , plays great , and the replay value will keep you busy for many hours definitely worth the price tag Expand
  79. Jan 30, 2014
    1.the develpers said this was just a graphic upgrade from last year. No one would complain if GTA or Skyrim came to the new generations. 2.This is the first time I have played it and I really like it. It is different from what I normally play, however I enjoyed it. Story-8/10 Graphics-9/10 game-play-8/10 "smoothness"-9/10 controls-9/10 motion-7/10 (seemed rushed at some parts)

games it resembles:
    Uncharted series (resembles..not like)
  80. Jan 30, 2014
    Just a quick cash grab. The game was only decent to begin with but now it is just a shameful display of the current gaming industry. Same game is before, slightly better graphics...
  81. Jan 30, 2014
    Loved it on PC last year and although nothing new has been added to the story, it's still a very compelling buy.

If you already own the non definitive edition, you can skip this one, otherwise it's truly worth grabbing it up!
  82. Jan 29, 2014
    Tomb Raider is back. For starters, the visuals are absolutely gorgeous. Even though this generation's life is still very very young, so young that I'll get sent to jail for looking at it funny, Tomb Raider has set the bar extremely high by being the best looking game I've ever played. Lara is the most detailed character I've seen in gaming. She looks almost real. The supporting cast of characters didn't get nearly enough attention as far as texturing goes, but Lara, the weapons, and the environment all look beautiful. The controls are tight, but I encountered a few problems in which Lara didn't respond to my command. It usually happened when transitioning from climbing on a wall to climbing up a rock wall with the pickaxe tool. It is nowhere near as bad as Uncharted's controls, however. Overall, the engine works well and controls are extremely tight. The story is good. Lara is a great character; she's likable, relatable, and interesting. The supporting cast is marginal at best. You don't really care about them; I actually ended up rooting for several of them to die. When death did occur, I didn't even offer a shrug of the shoulders. You're in this game for Lara's story, not for her boring friends. Combat is good, allowing you to take a stealthy approach or a "run and gun" approach. However, there are very few "pure stealth" sections. Most encounters are usually started using stealth but usually devolve into massive shootouts worthy of the Call of Duty franchise. But gunplay and the cover mechanics are all very functional, so it's not a problem. I only mention it because if you're looking for a pure stealth game, you're going to be disappointed. The game also includes a deep upgrade system for your gear and weapons; it has you collecting salvage around the island and off bodies and it works really well. I found myself combing almost every piece of landscape, not something I do very much in games, in order to get the supplies, which are used to upgrade weapons, and collectables. There are several tombs, but they only really gain you more salvage for upgrading. The puzzles are intuitive and fun and are the appropriate amount of challenging. The two areas in which the game is lacking are Lara's upgrades and replayability. A lot of Lara's upgrades are very useful and almost essential. Several, however, are utterly pointless. SOme of which are the exact same upgrade but utilize a different gun or piece of gear (for example, finishing off an enemy with your shotgun is a different upgrade that finishing one off with your arrows). After beating the game, you are allowed to explore the island at will collecting upgrades and raiding tombs. But like Assassin's Creed, there's not much to do after completing all the optional objectives. Overall, Tomb Raider is a fantastic game and it is a true must buy for next-gen systems if you didn't play it last year. If you did, I hear it's the same exact game, so you really aren't missing much. The homage to classic tomb raider at the end is a really nice touch. Expand
  83. Jan 29, 2014
    For all the people slamming the game for its price tag, yes this is a jazzed up version of the PC release of the game. For those with a high end PC rig, buy the game when it goes down in price on a steam sale. This version of the game was not intended for these players as they already have experienced it. For those who have played the PS3 version and are pissed about the high price tag, then wait for the price to drop, nobody is going to demand that you consume. (except the hypo toad). For those who missed out on the game all together, its an above average modern action-adventure game that looks fantastic. Overall, its still a great game just right now not really at a fair price. Expand
  84. Jan 29, 2014
    Personally, I believe this is the best game available for the PS4 right now. It's basically Uncharted with a female character, not as good of a story, but better gameplay and exploration mechanics. Lots of people are hating on the 60 dollar asking price for a game that came out last year, but having played some of the other last gen-current games this one really tweaked some of the fine details and is as great of a system show-off as Killzone (and a lot more fun to play). I have been looking forward to this game since I missed Tomb Raider the first time around and it did not disappoint. It's a must buy for any PS4 owner who hasn't played it and is in desperate need of a new game since we are only getting about one a month this year. Expand
  85. Jan 29, 2014
    This was a great game last year, i played it 100%, and now i will play agais because it is in play 4. The users that are given bad reviews of this games, never played nothing, some of those stupid users are talking bad about de game of the last year and this year, so they even not liking the game in the past, bought it again only to say bad? go home people, go get a job, you guys dont even have the game or a play 4 to play it!!!This game is great!! Expand
  86. Jan 29, 2014
    Tomb Raider Definitive edition is an awesome game for PS4 and there is no doubt in that. It is true that Definitive edition is just an upgrade over the ps3/x360/pc version but it is even better than its PC version . LAra has been upgraded and she looks fantastic with TressFX enabled and high resolution textures on her skin. Game is steady on 60fps and the island has come to life with plugging a beautiful physic engine that helps everything in the universe of Tomb Riader to look alive. Color Schemes and lighting system as been upgraded, some of the texture works are different but overall it looks like really next gen game.
    in terms of gameplay this game is as awesome as it was a year ago!
    i suggest you to buy this game if you are a real fan of Tomb Raider otherwise there is not much reason to go back to this game. The Art Book packaging arrived like a booklet where Bluray has been placed in it and also it features a code to redeem and get OST.
    the game is 22.2GB and it has a 33mb dayone patch .
  87. Jan 28, 2014
    Upgrading the graphics doesn't make the game better, it's still a boring game full of QTEs, **** cover shooting and puzzles that you can just get the anwser to by pressing a single button.
  88. Jan 28, 2014
    the game is mediocre alright, I don't get it, instead of making an 'upscale' port why not just make a new game already? 60 bucks for a port? fan or not I think people would pass on this, I'm not paying just to see the difference in graphics. This game barely has any unlockables or rewarding achievements, I could finish in less than a week for a none gamer! I used to play Tomb Raider games for months lol, this game is so short it hardly worth your time, moreover your MONEY. Expand
  89. Jan 28, 2014
    Personally I found the game to be mediocre last year, but this is a new low. It's a blatant cashgrab made to exploit the empty window of next-gen titles by releasing the same game again at full price with a few tweaks. If you've already played the game, don't bother with this. If you have yet to play it, either get it on PC, the older systems, or just wait for this to drop to the affordable price that something like this should actually be. 'Definitive', perhaps but 'Essential'? No. Expand
  90. Jan 28, 2014
    A great game made better. Worth the extra cash if you've already played it? No, but that doesn't take away from how good it is. It just means it isn't for you, so if you played previous versions giving it anything less than you did for the original (if you liked it) is just silly. Disregard the complaints of cash-in and all the zeroes people are giving it for that. If you haven't played it yet, get it and play it now. Expand
  91. Jan 28, 2014
    its just a port, i mean its okey if games ask 10 euros so you can play a last gen game on a next gen but, but not 60! also, i the game still looks better on pc :P the chances to this game are minimal and i didnt like the original to begin with so with version isnt much better. if u liked the game, still dont buy it, you have already had your fun with it and as i said the chances are minimal so dont buy this cheap cash grap. Expand
  92. Jan 28, 2014
    People will cry scam, but the fact of the matter is, developers have done nothing to hide the fact that Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition is an upscale of the original game. And it is a damn fine upscale of a damn fine game at that.

None of the the story elements have been changed, it is still the adrenaline fuelled thrill ride that some experienced last year when the game came out on PS3
    and Xbox 360. People seem to have taken it upon themselves to do nothing but post negative reviews, based just on the fact that this game would release at $60.
    This was, admittedly, slightly surprising, however, I think we can all agree that you are smart enough to know if it has that value to you. I myself only got to play the original game for about an hour at a point where the story was almost done, so for me, this was a treat, especially as there are not too many killer titles on the PS4 as of right now.
    In terms of the changes, the graphics and textures have been rebuilt with the PC version of the game in mind. Lara's character model was completely redesigned, and she looks stunning. Things like the Tress-FX hair mechanic, the topology remapping, and subsurface scattering that gives her skin a believable glow… All of this makes for an incredibly immersive experience. This as I said, was one of the only major changes, but it makes for a more integrating experience, and makes Lara an even more believable character.

The Definitive Edition includes all DLC that was released for the last version of the game, which mostly consists of content for the much overlooked multiplayer.
    Critics seem to think the Multiplayer has near to no value, but the games that I have played take the elements of gunplay and platforming from the campaign and marry them fairly well with a 4v4 multiplayer. Don't get me wrong, the campaign is where you will be spending the majority of your time. However, the multiplayer does offer a pleasant diversion which can be enjoyed with friends.

All in all, the Definitive Edition of Tomb Raider is one of the prettiest versions of one of 2013's best games.
    If you want it, get it. If you don't, bugger off and stop calling this a scam.

Jack Valentine.
  93. Jan 28, 2014
    As a die-hard fan of the genre i was surprised I did not play it before. I liked the ones on PS2 and now PS4 .
    The story is just refreshing really nice to see it being quite suspenseful and thrilling , The character development is a huge part of the story and is told quite nicely , However I being disappointing that treasure hunting was fairly just to please the fans and did not feel
    'Adventure' it focused on sruvival which was perfectly executed but what about treasures and what is the core of this type of game but it was there and it was good but could be better, Gameplay is very fun and traversing is a lot of fun , the gunplay is quite good and the epic moments were amazing , Graphics are stunning just stunning and lighting is really lush and bright , However the multiplayer is VERY weak though i do not play multiplayer in these type of games but it is a fact that should be judged, It comes packed with all the DLC and most of the DLC's are thrilling and one again amazing, All in all this game is down to some of the best the genre has seen but improvement scope is there i just hope they do take time with tomb raider 2 . Expand
  94. Jan 28, 2014
    Tomb Raider is an exceptional game, and this Definitive Edition is every bit as exceptional and then some. I originally played this masterpiece on my PC, a powerful rig with crossfired 7970's and a 2600K at 4.8Ghz. I thought that the game was visually exquisite on my configuration with TressFX etc all enabled and a stable performer, although even my rig couldn't escape frame dips from a v-synced 60fps in areas such as shanty town. I think the devs have done a commendable job porting this to the much weaker, but still very capable, PS4 with so many visual bells and whistles intact and expanded upon. The game truly is a sight to behold running at 1080p and a perceptively quite stable 60fps on my big 65 inch Panasonic.

A lot of people/critics are marking the game down based on the price. This is unfair in my estimation. The 'game' is still a stellar AAA title, now with just more additional sheen. The practice of keeping the price high is something I understand the community's resentment over, but as far as ridiculous scores like 60% or below for the actual game itself I do not agree with at all.

If you never knew the title was released prior and sat down to play it and review it on its own merits in this incarnation you would be undeniably impressed and the score should reflect that.

If you're lucky enough to have never played it and own a PS4 buy it immediately, comfortable with the fact that you just purchased the best game on the system. But even if like me you have played it, and even if you played it on the PC where the advantages this version offers are slimmer, it still is worthy of heavy consideration. I personally loved the game first time round and had zero reservations about ponying up for it again on PS4. It is a double dip, but it is also one where you can see significant care has been made to update a lot of things graphically that is truly a rarity in similar double dip scenarios, where a resolution increase is about it.

10/10...on any platform.
  95. Jan 28, 2014

10/10...on any platform.

1. May 11, 2014
    It is better to be relaunched than forgotten. [March 2014]
  2. Mar 10, 2014
    Not played the original? Then this is essential, but there's not enough new here for returners. [Apr 2014, p.69]
    I was absolutely wowed by this game the first time I played it through because I was paying so much attention to the cut scenes and redesigned Lara Croft was a joy to behold...But having had a year to sit and consider the game's broader meaning, the second time around the game's flaws are all the more apparent.