Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition PlayStation 4

8.1

1. Jan 26, 2017
    After the years went by, I was always wondering what happened to Tomb Raider? Why do they not make anymore? In 2013, the game was re-released with a new style of gameplay, graphics and characters. With Crystal Dynamics taking over, Tomb Raider has been seriously enhanced with a great storyline and rate. I never played the series before and I did not know what I was getting myself into. IAfter the years went by, I was always wondering what happened to Tomb Raider? Why do they not make anymore? In 2013, the game was re-released with a new style of gameplay, graphics and characters. With Crystal Dynamics taking over, Tomb Raider has been seriously enhanced with a great storyline and rate. I never played the series before and I did not know what I was getting myself into. I got into this and played it until finish. I love the open world like option that you have. The climbing, shooting and action-packed gameplay with a few puzzles to solve definitely DEFINES a future in Lara Croft and Tomb Raider. The death scenes were pretty brutal though. I liked the interaction that you have with the game in stealth and combat. It was waves of excitement. I loved the way the whole game played out. The definitive edition was a perfect improvement for the PS4 and its capabilities.

FPS and Graphics were stunning. The story had a great set. I believe this brings promise into the future of the series. I cannot wait to play the next installment!
  2. Jan 7, 2017
    Great game.Every ps4 owner should have this game.Graphics are not some ultra quality but thats not important...True adventure,interesting places,enemies...If you love Uncharted,you will love this.
  3. Dec 18, 2016
    This is the first Tomb Raider game I've ever played and what a great experience. Picture a grittier, bloodier and more brutal Uncharted. The character growth with Lara was fantastic, the game play is solid, the graphics are outstanding, the story is intriguing and the adventurous aspects are really fun - there are some amazing action sequences in here. Highly recommended for fans of pureThis is the first Tomb Raider game I've ever played and what a great experience. Picture a grittier, bloodier and more brutal Uncharted. The character growth with Lara was fantastic, the game play is solid, the graphics are outstanding, the story is intriguing and the adventurous aspects are really fun - there are some amazing action sequences in here. Highly recommended for fans of pure adventure/puzzle solving games. Can't wait for Rise of the Tomb Raider! Expand
  4. Dec 4, 2016
    What a good game, really nice to play, a ST and the best part, its intensive and you have no time to get bored or just to give up playing because it has the same essence as uncharted games, really good scenarios etc. LOVE IT!!
  5. Nov 10, 2016
    The game itself has crystal clear graphics. I actually thought my television screen had got sprayed with water. It is that great. Game play and background is amazing. The surprise and suspense just keeps coming!!!!!! 9/10
  6. Nov 7, 2016
    On the pro side, the game has an interesting history that occurs in a kind of dark atmosphere. Graphically, it's very beautiful, we can see the attention to detail. Another big pro is the combat system, truly one of the best I have ever seen. It combines gunfight with melee and also a bow, and this works very well. The fact that it doesn't have an excessive amount of weapons is good, asOn the pro side, the game has an interesting history that occurs in a kind of dark atmosphere. Graphically, it's very beautiful, we can see the attention to detail. Another big pro is the combat system, truly one of the best I have ever seen. It combines gunfight with melee and also a bow, and this works very well. The fact that it doesn't have an excessive amount of weapons is good, as well as the possibility of upgrading the ones you have.

The biggest downside of this game is that it is a FAKE open world game. Although you can return to any region of the map, it is absolutely unnecessary to do so. Also, you can't enter in a given combat from whatever side of the island you want (like Far Cry), that is, you just can't create different strategies to engage a group of enemies. So, despite the effort, it's really a strictly linear history. After playing games like Fallout, Skyrim or even Far Cry, you just hope that an open world would offer much more liberty to make your own history and strategies, however, Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition fails to do so.

Another thing I HATED is that you have no liberty to interact with the environment, you can only interact with the things that the game lets you. For example, you have an ability to make a double jump in the wall, but it only works in the specific walls determined by the game. If you try to double jump in any other walls, it just doesn't work! There are places where you COULD climb, judging by the ability of the character, however, considering that these places are not designed by the game creators to be climbed, so you just can't. You can shoot arrows attached in ropes, BUT ONLY IN THE PLACES PREVIOUSLY DESIGNED by the game creators. If you try to be creative and attach your arrow and rope in any other place, to try to create a strategy, you just can't. This is VERY frustrating, it's as if you were following a script.

Finally, the game is short and after completion I don't see reason to replay it.
  7. Oct 26, 2016
    Deutsche Review - Kritik

Das folgende bekommt eine Gesamtpunktzahl von 0 - 100 Punkten. Um einen passenden Userscore zu geben wird auf oder abgerundet. Bei 84 Punkten ergibt das einen User Score von 8. Bei 86 einen von Userscore von 9. Falls eine 85 kommt entscheide ich ob ich es eher positiv oder negativ nehme. Regeln verstanden? Dann sind hier meine Punkte. Mein persönlicher
    Deutsche Review - Kritik

Dann sind hier meine Punkte.

Mein persönlicher Score 74/100 Punkte
    Mein User Score: 7/10
  8. Oct 14, 2016
    Even though the rating says 9, my real score is more like a 9.5/10. This game is amazing, great story, great characters, the gameplay is superb, this is what Uncharted 4 should have been more like, great design for collecting collectables, the graphics are fantastic even though it's a remaster. This is my favorite game of the year so far. Completely recommended.
  9. Oct 8, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 2013's Tomb Raider reboot is inspired by Uncharted (which in reverse was inspired by the old Tomb Raider games) but it is its own game.

The game tells the story of young Lara Croft becoming THE Lara Croft after starting out as an inexperienced and naive archaeologist and adventurer. She is stranded on an island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean along with other people after a storm made their ship crash. The island has many misteries, it is filled with pseudo-historical facts based on reality (it mentions the real ancient civilization of Yamatai, and there are also hints that through the centuries the island was explored by Portuguese mariners, Nazis and Japanese people), and is littered with crashed planes from WW II, crazed survivors following a cult, and ancient samurais. Lara Croft initially can't hold a gun but she steadily transforms into a female version of Rambo. Her character is believable enough and far away from the old Lara Croft thanks to the boob reduction, but more should have been done towards humanizing her. In the end, she saves her best friend and is briefly shown dual wielding pistols, her signature pose from the old times.

Gameplay is solid enough, but it pales in comparison to Uncharted's free flowing combat mechanics. Where Nathan Drake can instantly and freely switch between taking cover, punching in melee combat, throwing grenades, and shooting, Lara can't. She is too "rigid". And she can't really fight back physically, you have to upgrade her skills in order to strike with her climbing axe. Her guns are satisfactory, though, and they punch quite a bit, especially when upgraded. Traversal in the game's world is enjoyable and between axe climbing and gliding through ropes you will appreciate the game's artistic beauty.

Graphics are great but not top of the line like Uncharted 4, The Order 1886, or inFamous: Second Son. Still it is nice to have a console game rendering Lara's hair (a feature previously exclusive to high-end PC hardware) via TressFX 2.0, and running at 40-60 fps and 1080p. As for the sound, the voice acting is great, and the actor portraying Lara did a great job. Gun shots and explosions sound really good.

There is also a multiplayer suite included, it's OK if not barebones, but nothing special, and you don't have to play it at all unless you have no other multiplayer game to play (few people actually play it nowadays). And the character's rigidness I previously mentioned, it is exacerbated in the multiplayer mode.

A great game, then. Let's hope the series will continue building on the foundations of this game, and grow as much as it deserves.
  10. Sep 6, 2016
    Truly a fantastic experience from beginning to end. Lara is truly the star of the game here, highly believable and both courageous & vulnerable, as well as having real human emotions - in contrast to earlier games in the series, not to mention the awful movies starring Angelina Jolie.

None of those boring macho-cliches, as well as other recycled action-hero nonsense. Lara Croft is just a young girl, trying to survive and escape an island as well as save her friends to the best of her abilities.

Really liked this game a lot, can't recommend it enough!
  11. Sep 4, 2016
    I was sort of sceptic if i even was going to like this game but after reading so much about it i thought i give it a try. I know the game isn't really new but somehow i was drawn to it. I'm at a point where i'm going back to my library and playing some games i have missed much thanks to these new open world games that take forever to finish.
    Any way this game is the does everything right.
    Any way this game is the does everything right. Controlling Lara is just great. I never felt like the camera was hindering me unlike many other games. The story is wonderful and exciting. The effects and the action are just wonderfully put together. And the side missions and gathering is also pretty nice for increasing the gametime.
    I also like the arsenal and weapons. I seriously can't find anything bad to say about the game. I think i finished the game after 4 days or so but man it was exciting. I think it was perfect in length. If you have not played the game i really do recommend picking this up!
  12. Aug 15, 2016
    This game is so annoying. The pros: upgading your weapons. The cons: the gun combat is okay but its been done countless times before and gets stale after awhile, the graphics aren't anything to right home about, most of the characters are annoying especially Lara croft she is so unrealistic. A 20 year old girl killing half a thousand guys and her voice is so annoying, screaming and talkingThis game is so annoying. The pros: upgading your weapons. The cons: the gun combat is okay but its been done countless times before and gets stale after awhile, the graphics aren't anything to right home about, most of the characters are annoying especially Lara croft she is so unrealistic. A 20 year old girl killing half a thousand guys and her voice is so annoying, screaming and talking like an adolescent, if your going to have a girl then you need someone like Vasquez off aliens. By the way this a rip off of uncharted drakes fortune and uncharted has done it better. The story is okay but nothing special and there is plenty of plot holes and sequences that don't add up. Just don't buy this game uncharted is way better in every way Expand
  13. Jul 10, 2016
    More fluid movements than any other games, amaazing graphics, good story full of action, amazing game, Lara Croft more beautiful but she is always beautiful and a very fun game. Is the Best.
  14. Jun 26, 2016
    I'm only as far in as the first "climax" of the game, maybe 7 - 10 hours in-- so far, I think this game is fantastic. Going into this game, you assume it'll be something of an Uncharted knock-off, but really that couldn't be farther from the truth. In my personal opinion, the gunplay in Tomb Raider greatly outshines that of the Uncharted franchise, feeling much more weighty and gripping,I'm only as far in as the first "climax" of the game, maybe 7 - 10 hours in-- so far, I think this game is fantastic. Going into this game, you assume it'll be something of an Uncharted knock-off, but really that couldn't be farther from the truth. In my personal opinion, the gunplay in Tomb Raider greatly outshines that of the Uncharted franchise, feeling much more weighty and gripping, not at all light or flimsy; the story in this game is a much different tone, favoring a more gritty aesthetic, while still making you feel like you're playing an intelligent, Indiana Jones-y kind of character.
    Speaking of, Lara as a character is fantastic. She's written as a character, not a sex object. She's capable, cunning, and clever. One wouldn't be surprised to see her matching pace with other treasure hunting greats like Drake and Indy, and they'd certainly take her seriously.

In regards to the open-world aspect of the game, I can't speak so much yet, having only played what I assume is a small portion of the game (so far I haven't had to backtrack, but I have a feeling that's about to kick in). From what I have seen though, the designers did a great job of creating a map that doesn't at all feel restrictive. You never really feel like there's only one way to get to a given objective-- there are seemingly dozens of branching paths and directions you can take to reach your destinations.

Finally, the art direction in this game is only rivalled by its sound direction, both of which are brilliant and beautiful. Exploring tombs is just as much about observing the incredible structures and sculptures as it is about solving clever and entertaining puzzles.
    I find myself really identifying with Lara as she grunts and shushes and yelps with effort, doing a great job at what I assume a fresh-out-of-college kid would sound like if they were leaping over a chasm, falling into a river, or cauterizing an open wound on their own leg.

All in all, this game is great. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for their next gripping, interesting, and entertaining treasure hunting experience.
  15. May 16, 2016
    Great action adventure game with interesting story, nice graphics and good play time. Always as good as Uncharted. Would recommend to anyone who wanna play The Rise of the Tomb Raider and hasn't played this one.
  16. Apr 27, 2016
    Remasterización de un juego sobresaliente que de haber salido tal cual en su día habría tenido por mi parte una nota cercana al 10. No defraudará y estoy seguro que encantará a aquellas personas que llegen al juego por primera vez en esta versión, pero para los que ya disfrutamos de ella en 2013 la propuesta ya no resulta tan atractiva. Recomendado 100% para los fans de Lara.
  17. Apr 12, 2016
    great reboot, is just an reference for everybody else on how to make reboots, i´m so glad square enix is publisher now, the game is beautiful, and now Lara is more human than ever, really enjoyable
  18. Mar 11, 2016
    As an action game fan, I thought that this game did everything right. I had great combat mechanics, great looking graphics, and enough stressful situations that would you would give up on long before you actually reached the point.
    However, as a devoted Tomb Raider fan who has been a fan since the very first game, I thought that this was an abomination. Lara Croft is the video game heroine of video game heroines, the woman who I thought was amazing because she was capable of doing more than nearly everyone she came across. After seeing her reduced to a sobbing damsel forced into situations that she keeps whining about, it broke my heart. This game managed to destroy the one thing I loved the most about this game.
    I didn't buy this game to play as Lara Croft, the whiny child who can't do anything without stabbing herself in the gut; I bought this game to play as Lara Croft, the legendary Tomb Raider, the ultimate badass of action games.

Also, there's no dual wielding pistols, so that's another error.
  19. Mar 9, 2016
    Easy to say,this is one of the best games i have ever played..Campaign is long,interesting...At some points,game is creepy,mysterious and different from anything else i have played,which i like..I give this a perfect 10...
  20. Feb 2, 2016
    Tomb Raider Definitive. Is nothing short of fantastic. @ the age of 66 My friends say I'm too old to play these video games but I say I still remember what fun is. The First game I played (Tomb Raider Definitive) And wow what a game it was. You find yourself immersed in fighting enemies and upgrading weapons It's all there The story line and graphics are all at the top of their game..
  21. Feb 1, 2016
    graphics are good I I. no idra whenthis cameout. I tried to dl in pc. girl is unagile. shes not thst hot. game opens up. fluid controls. voice acting is horrible. storyline is bad skipped it. 5 minutes in.
  22. Jan 23, 2016
    Tomb raider is a pretty decent reboot with many hidden treasure to find and bad guys to shoot. I was initially unsure if I was going to enjoy it after playing it for about an hour, but it eventually grew on me. The graphics are great and there are many challenges complete and tombs to explore after the game is finished.

Just a couple of things to note; I felt very overpowered whilst

Just a couple of things to note; I felt very overpowered whilst playing. The more upgrades I applied to my weapons, the faster and easier I could kill enemies, leading me to feel as if I was never in any danger of dying. I also disliked the fact that all the enemies we just guys with guns and swords, without much variety. Other then that I enjoyed the game and would recommend you give it a go yourself.
  23. Jan 12, 2016
    I had actually never played a Tomb Raider game before and I played this game after playing the Uncharted series. The games are very similar in gameplay mechanics and treasure seeking. I thoroughly enjoyed the exploration parts of Tomb Raider as well as upgrading weapons, the tomb side-quests, the combat, and the different ways Lara interacts with the environment.
  24. Jan 8, 2016
    This is a pretty good game. If you like Uncharted and other 3rd person shooters you’ll like this one, but do not expect the same stuff we got in the old tomb raiders, it is just not the same; not better nor worse, just different. The old tomb raiders were, in my opinion, action and exploration games in equal parts. This one is definitely a lot more action than exploration (exploration isThis is a pretty good game. If you like Uncharted and other 3rd person shooters you’ll like this one, but do not expect the same stuff we got in the old tomb raiders, it is just not the same; not better nor worse, just different. The old tomb raiders were, in my opinion, action and exploration games in equal parts. This one is definitely a lot more action than exploration (exploration is more of a very optional thing here), the secret tombs give you the old tomb raider flavour here but there is only a few and they’re optional along with a few more optional stuff (GPS thingies etc.). Said that, this one is a really really good action game and if you like action games you’ll enjoy this one a lot; just do not expect an old tomb raider flavoured game. Expand
  25. Jan 1, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game was most enjoyable game I played last year. All the weapons have specific usage and is attractive. level ordination is fantastic. Fun factor many times upgraded, but irritating factor that exists in most of games is minimized or vanished. I think this game has fulfilled the real essence of adventure game genre. Expand
  26. Dec 4, 2015
    If you like Unchartered you will like this game. Top notch graphics and some amazing cinematic sequences. The story is so so but the action makes up for it. The gameplay is very fluid with levelling up and unlocking new abilities done without too much grinding. Loved it!
  27. Dec 3, 2015
    Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition is a gorgeous game with really fun game-play, all the weapons and upgrades are nice and the story is pretty interesting, although it does feel dumb at times, but it's not supposed to be a realistic game. Also their isn't many tombs and that's the name of the game so that's a little disappointing, but the multiplayer is actually a lot of fun but it could getTomb Raider: Definitive Edition is a gorgeous game with really fun game-play, all the weapons and upgrades are nice and the story is pretty interesting, although it does feel dumb at times, but it's not supposed to be a realistic game. Also their isn't many tombs and that's the name of the game so that's a little disappointing, but the multiplayer is actually a lot of fun but it could get you pissed off because sometimes people leave mines where you spawn and you die instantly, overall it's a great game, worth your money!!!!!! Expand
  28. rrt
    Nov 18, 2015
    Nie sądziłem,że zagram jeszcze kiedyś w grę lepszą od Uncharted,a jednak to się stało!Gra jest genialna poprzez oprawę,scenariusz na supermiodnym gameplayu kończąc.Mimi że to remaster poprzedniej generacji gra wygląda jakby był robiona pod nową generację ,grafika absolutnie powala,klimatyczna muzyka i oprawa dzwiękowa jest na najwyższym poziomie.POLECAM
  29. Nov 9, 2015
    Great cinematic experience. I loved the story and the gunfight although there were not as many puzzles as you would expect from a Tomb Raider game. Definitely a must have for every Uncharted fan.
  30. Oct 28, 2015
    This game does a magnificent job of showing off the potential of what a PS4 could do. Outstanding graphics, addicting adventurous gameplay, and RPG elements make this a PS4 title that will be remembered as one of the standout titles on this console. I think Tomb Raider veterans and rookies would both find this game enjoyable
  31. Sep 28, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Last Night, I Completed Tomb Raider Definitive Edition On My PlayStation 4 I Went To Gamestop And Ordered The Game Earlier Before The Big Launch And I Just Can't Get Enough Of The Action And Suspense That Has Turned The Franchise To A Whole New Battleground. I Love How Crystal Dynamics Just Easily Announced It 2 Months Ago And Now! It's Finally Here! Despite The Addition To Multiplayer Which Expand
  32. Sep 9, 2015
    I will start out by stating I am writing this review based on the merits of the game itself. If you dislike the price or the promotion of the game you should note that in the review but it should not change your rating of the game as that is based on content alone. The game looks better than its previouis gen counterparts, particularly Lara's animation.
  33. Sep 6, 2015

Tomb Raider Definitive Edition commits to acknowledge that Tomb Raider is one of the best games of the last 10 years

+ Great and engaging story
    + Beautiful and breathtaking locations
    + Perfectly designed
    + Characters are fantastic
    + Attitude and growth of Lara throughout the game

- Mutiplayer is forgettable
  34. Aug 30, 2015
    I bought it for 13€ on PSStore

Well, i finished it very quickly, without rushing it. There are some spots & places to explore, but it becomes boring after a few times, so i focused on the story mode, and it's too short. Visually, it's ok, but you can't deny that it comes from PS3... My big disapointing is the audio of this game, the dialogues are too basic, and some noises like the
    I bought it for 13€ on PSStore

Visually, it's ok, but you can't deny that it comes from PS3...

My big disapointing is the audio of this game, the dialogues are too basic, and some noises like the explosions are completely failed. Fortunately, the music is good in this game.

The scenario is predictable, and Lara's emotions feel fake, it feels like the developers tried to give her emotions, but sometimes (many times), i've the feeling that she's playing comedy, like if she didn't really care about who dies, or what happens.

Gameplay is ok, but it lacks of variation at the end. Always the same things to do after you discovered every feature of the game.

There's a multiplayer mode, i didn't even knew it when i was buying the game. Good for me, it's a plus, but after 2,3 hardly found games (almost nobody plays this mode anymore), it was enough for me.

12 or maybe 13/20 seems fair.
  35. Aug 26, 2015
    Armed with only the raw instincts and physical ability to push beyond the limits of human endurance, Tomb Raider delivers an intense and gritty story into the origins of Lara Croft and her ascent from a frightened young woman to a hardened survivor.
  36. Jul 24, 2015
    It is so tough to rate this game so low because, from what I got to play, I really enjoyed the game. I loved what they did with the graphics in this edition and the game itself was a joy to play. I enjoyed the story line and being able to explore tombs and upgrade weapons. I played this game for three days straight, creeping closer and closer to the end waiting to see what happens........It is so tough to rate this game so low because, from what I got to play, I really enjoyed the game. I loved what they did with the graphics in this edition and the game itself was a joy to play. I enjoyed the story line and being able to explore tombs and upgrade weapons. I played this game for three days straight, creeping closer and closer to the end waiting to see what happens........

And then it happened...... During a major cut scene in the game (and a major turn in the story) the game crashes. Not a real big deal right? I could just restart it again, right? WRONG! It crashed during an auto-save and corrupted my file, erasing EVERYTHING I just spent three days doing. After researching it, this happens quite often in the definitive edition at the exact same cut scene. If you are expecting it, there are ways to prevent losing everything (like creating an extra save file). However, most people like myself aren't usually expecting this crap to happen. If the game hadn't crashed and I had been able to finish it, I would have given it a 10.
  37. Jul 15, 2015
    I've never really been into Tomb Raider, I've probably only played one or two of the previous games and I definitely didn't finish them but I have to say I really enjoyed this one.

Where would a Tomb Raider game be without tombs? I actually like how they're optional in this game and randomly scattered around the world, although they are worth doing as they reward you with skill points which are needed to level Lara up, and the poor girl needs all the levels she can get as she's abused from start to finish! Each tomb is its own little mini puzzle, which honestly aren't very hard to work out, especially with the survival sense which is basically cheating! Other than the tombs there are also lots of things to collect and find which you can see on your map, personally I didn't go out of my way to find them as I'm not a completionist but they are interesting, for example you'll find a lot of artifacts with lore behind them. Other than that you follow a fairly linear path through the story which is a decent length, I'd say between 10 - 12 hours.

The gameplay itself is enjoyable, the gunplay is solid and the platforming and climbing feel very natural and intuitive. The set pieces are also fantastic, truly stunning at times and they really help push the story forward. One downside is the game loves it some QTE, and while they're not the worst I've ever seen, they do come up very often. As you progress through the game you'll loot salvage which allows you to upgrade your weapons, you'll also gain skill points which you can use improve Lara, I found she became a lot more fun to play once I put a point in the brawler talent that allowed me to deal melee damage with my axe.

I have to say the game looks really great on PS4, with some graphical effects that aren't even in the PC version (it also lacks some as well), the audio is also superb with some great voice acting throughout the game. Where the game falls short technically is the frame rate, it's really bad at times and sporadic at the best of times. The game wildly swings between 30 & 60fps which makes for a choppy experience overall, there are also multiple areas that drop the frame rate under 30fps which is completely unacceptable. The performance tarnishes what is a great game, and it's the reason I scored it 7 instead of 8/10 as I felt it hurt the overall experience that much. One of the best set pieces in the game was ruined by poor frame rate and that's just a shame. While the game does look great, I don't see any reason why the game couldn't have ran better than it does, if not 60fps without dips, then at least 45 - 60fps, having the frame rate closer to 30fps and under throughout the game is due to dev laziness and nothing more.

Even though the performance hurt the game for me, it may not for you as I'm admittedly overly sensitive to these types of issues, and it doesn't stop the game from being worthwhile, especially when you can now pick it up for as little as £13.
  38. Jun 24, 2015
    I hated so much this game, i was hyped by the reboot but it has nothing to do with a tomb raider game. No tropical/luxurious/antique sites, no puzzles, no adventure...just a generic/boring TPS, just "ouch, ouch i take a stick in my womb and fall every 10 seconds but can still walk, run etc." and "bam bam tatata bang" worse than a COD. I don't get all the hype for this game.
  39. Jun 5, 2015
    Game is great and similar to Uncharted in terms of story and environment. Tomb raider is back with a solid gameplay, story and a Lara strong enough to lead to further games in the franchise. It lacks of a solid multiplayer but it really don't need it as its greatness is mainly focused in the single campaign. However one thing that prevent it from being a perfect 10 to me is the lack ofGame is great and similar to Uncharted in terms of story and environment. Tomb raider is back with a solid gameplay, story and a Lara strong enough to lead to further games in the franchise. It lacks of a solid multiplayer but it really don't need it as its greatness is mainly focused in the single campaign. However one thing that prevent it from being a perfect 10 to me is the lack of boss villains apart from the main antagonist at the end of the game. Expand
  40. May 27, 2015
    I never had the chance to play this game on last generation consoles, but I'm happy to say this game was almost perfect. Every aspect of the game kept me glued for roughly 14 hours straight. I know it sounds crazy, but it is true. I could not put this game down. I couldn't stop. The characters, gameplay, visuals, difficulty, story, and soundtrack are perfect. The only complaint I have isI never had the chance to play this game on last generation consoles, but I'm happy to say this game was almost perfect. Every aspect of the game kept me glued for roughly 14 hours straight. I know it sounds crazy, but it is true. I could not put this game down. I couldn't stop. The characters, gameplay, visuals, difficulty, story, and soundtrack are perfect. The only complaint I have is that the puzzles could have been more challenging. This game is a must play for anyone who enjoys gaming. Highly recommended. Expand
  41. May 17, 2015
    MUST OWN ALERT! MUST OWN ALERT! This is a game that you cannot die without playing. It is perfect. First of all, the graphics are absolutely beautiful. When I say beautiful I mean award winning. The gameplay makes you feel like you could die at any moment. Few games do that. Last of us is probably the only other game that makes me feel that way. You don't get a lot of ammo, so you have toMUST OWN ALERT! MUST OWN ALERT! This is a game that you cannot die without playing. It is perfect. First of all, the graphics are absolutely beautiful. When I say beautiful I mean award winning. The gameplay makes you feel like you could die at any moment. Few games do that. Last of us is probably the only other game that makes me feel that way. You don't get a lot of ammo, so you have to make every shot count. Throughout the game, you see Lara Croft persevering through loads of painful crap. She gets hurt numerous times, but never gives up. You feel an empathy with Lara when she is hurt. That's how real the game can get. The game can get pretty difficult at times, plus you don't get many supplies, so it gives you a feeling of survival. You make every shot count. This game is not a sequel, so you don't have to play the previous ones to get into the story. This game tells how Lara Croft became the Tomb Raider. The story is absolutely great with a strange, supernatural element. This game has length to it, and it is not just a shooter game. It is an adventure game. You climb, slide down trechorous, rocky slopes, hunt, and craft items. This is a game that is worth every penny. If you can, get the Definitive Edition. It's worth it more than you know. Expand
  42. May 10, 2015
    Tomb Raider is one of the best games of all time. The puzzles are innovative, the storyline is exciting, and the characters have a clear personality. This is just awesome.
  43. May 4, 2015
    Good game, played through twice (very rare for me) and enjoyed it both times.
    Some of the art direction looks a little too shiny imo, but thats completely subjective.
    Good controls and dialogue. I believe the developers worked hard to create a good, stable experience. Never encountered a crash and all in all the story and pacing is very good. Briefly played multiplayer but did not
    Good game, played through twice (very rare for me) and enjoyed it both times.

Never encountered a crash and all in all the story and pacing is very good.
    Briefly played multiplayer but did not find it anywhere near as good as the story.

Unlike so many ps4 games, i did not feel ripped off or duped buying this one :)
  44. May 2, 2015
    Tomb Raider Definitive Edition is a phenomenal action adventure game, and while it does not bring anything new to the genre, it’s an excellent opportunity if like me, you haven’t had the opportunity to play it on either the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 or the PC.
  45. May 1, 2015
    This is a great PS3 game. Yes, PS3, not PS4. It's a half-assed port that shows Square Enix's true colors. One of the many glitches we found corrupted my gf's save file when she was 75% through the story and she had to start all over again. Even the online mode looks old.

The game itself is great, with many things to collect and places to discover. The puzzles are interesting and varied. The only downside for me is that Lara's voice acting is sometimes annoying.

I bought this game at half its original price due to a price drop on the PS Store and I honestly think it was a fair deal, considering it never felt like a next-gen title and that it has plenty of errors even after more than a year of its release.
  46. Apr 14, 2015
    With breathtaking views and amazing graphics i only hoped there were more tombs to raid and hoped the combat could have been better but i mostly enjoyed the game and collecting items.
  47. Apr 9, 2015
    If you're lucky enough to have never played it and own a PS4 buy it immediately, comfortable with the fact that you just purchased the best game on the system. But even if like me you have played it, and even if you played it on the PC where the advantages this version offers are slimmer, it still is worthy of heavy consideration. I personally loved the game first time round and had zeroIf you're lucky enough to have never played it and own a PS4 buy it immediately, comfortable with the fact that you just purchased the best game on the system. But even if like me you have played it, and even if you played it on the PC where the advantages this version offers are slimmer, it still is worthy of heavy consideration. I personally loved the game first time round and had zero reservations about ponying up for it again on PS4. It is a double dip, but it is also one where you can see significant care has been made to update a lot of things graphically that is truly a rarity in similar double dip scenarios, where a resolution increase is about it. Expand
  48. Apr 2, 2015
    I bought this at $15 on psn and oh my God. Those are the best $15 I've ever spent in my life. I never played the ps3 edition, so the re-master was a perfect opportunity. Now to the game itself. Graphics in cut scenes AND game play might be of the best to date. The game is extremely fluid and the action scenes keep you on the edge every single time. The collectibles, holy **** I've neverI bought this at $15 on psn and oh my God. Those are the best $15 I've ever spent in my life. I never played the ps3 edition, so the re-master was a perfect opportunity. Now to the game itself. Graphics in cut scenes AND game play might be of the best to date. The game is extremely fluid and the action scenes keep you on the edge every single time. The collectibles, holy **** I've never felt the need to collect collectibles until this game. You can rotate them and discover more about it, unlocking more of the secrets behind Yamatai. It was a really really solid and good game. A must buy for every ps4 owner. Expand
  49. Mar 30, 2015
    Tomb raider deserved the 40 awards!
    Good graphics
    Tons of things to discover! Good character acting, Upgradable weapons and gear, Overwhelming story line with alot of emotional parts and very unexpected scenes, so much action going on! There's no reason to blink and eye! Cuz you will be missing a lot a goodies in a split second! Keep your eyes open and let Lara crofts story get you
    Tomb raider deserved the 40 awards!
    Good graphics
    Tons of things to discover!
    Good character acting,
    Upgradable weapons and gear,
    Keep your eyes open and let Lara crofts story get you into an excellent adventure full of adrenaline moments!
  50. Mar 24, 2015
    A huge disappointment.

Tomb Raider with literally no tombs to explore, no riddles to solve, no challenge at all. What do we get in return? Endless hordes of enemies, QTE festival and "hit L1 because I am dumb and have no idea where should I go". Story is somewhat interesting in the beginning, but it gets lost in one of about 100 explosions you will witness during gameplay. If I
    A huge disappointment.

If I were to give a score another Uncharted, that would be 7/10 - nothing I have not seen in 3 Uncharteds so far. 3/10 for Tomb Raider, just for the ability to play as Lara.
    If by rebooting the series TR will now look like that, I am out.

tl:dr this is not a real Tomb Raider.
  51. Mar 19, 2015
    Lara you look fantastic and play with you after shipwreck on island is soo good.
    + Very good gameplay
    + Film atmosphere
    + funny game
    Must buy it !!
  52. Mar 17, 2015
    Its one of my favorite games, I was not a Tomb Raider fan, I didn't understand why people liked the franchise. Then I played this and it is and awesome game, with excellent graphics that changed a lot from the PS3 version.
  53. Feb 27, 2015
    I really liked The Last of Us, and Tomb Raider is being a very pleasant surprise for me. For me they're both great games. The action is great, the graphics and story as well.
  54. Feb 27, 2015
    It's taken me a long time to get to this game, I was going to play it on my 360 but when I heard news of the Definitive edition i held off until i owned a next gen console. I'm a little surprised by some of the high scores. That's not to say it's a bad game but a 10/10 (masterpiece) it is not, but then the Internet does enjoy it's share of hyperbole.

As a game the TR reboot is pretty

As a game the TR reboot is pretty solid. Lara moves around combining jumping, scrambling, and climbing in very smooth motion and the shooting, whilst your fairly basic bow, shotgun, rifle, handgun selection, is pretty good and is easily the match or better of similar games like uncharted. This game has obviously abandoned a lot of what the series was good at in favour of the more action oriented set piece approach of uncharted. The thing is though, whilst the core game is probably slightly better it doesn't mean that much in this sort of game. Whilst I hate to keep bringing up uncharted it's hard not to when the 2 share so much DNA. Uncharted gets it set pieces, story, and characters spot on, where as TR is a bit of a mess in that regard. There are some strong characters but most of the time you're just not that bothered about the people you're trying to help, it does however do a slightly better job of establishing the antagonists although they still fall into the cliche video game bad guy mould of evil cult.

Set pieces are full of explosions and the occasional QTE stuck in for good measure. The base game could have done with some astute editing as quite often I found myself mowing down wave after wave of bad guys to seemingly no end other than reaching another checkpoint. Sliding down hill and avoiding things is overused and often results in instant deaths. I'm not a massive fan of uncharted, I think what it does it does really well, but I am bemused why people think it copied the original tomb raider when it shares more in common with gears of war. It's why it's such a shame that the head scratching puzzles have been jettisoned in favour of seemingly inane collectables, the sense of discovery has also gone and whilst the game is 'open world' it is more a series of crossing paths than a true expansive world. You will never get stuck playing this game which is a bonus for some, but for those who grew up loving the originals it may seem a bit basic.

All in all it's a decent game, but when you combine a fairly dull/predictable story, poor characters, with overused gunplay and some poor set pieces (namely sliding sections) it takes a lot of the shine off what is at it's core a fun game. So 7/10 from me at least, some will love it but I have a feeling TR veterans may be as irked about this as RE veterans are about the more recent entries.
  55. Feb 22, 2015
    after hesistating a long long time I finally bought this game since it was only €15 on the ps-store but I should have bought it way sooner. I'm a huge fan of the Uncharted games and wasn't convinced this could be as good as those games but it actually is eventhough the game is a bit diffrent from Uncharted. The graphics are nice n sharp and the 60fps on ps4 really make the game fluid. Theafter hesistating a long long time I finally bought this game since it was only €15 on the ps-store but I should have bought it way sooner. I'm a huge fan of the Uncharted games and wasn't convinced this could be as good as those games but it actually is eventhough the game is a bit diffrent from Uncharted. The graphics are nice n sharp and the 60fps on ps4 really make the game fluid. The story isn't bad but it could be better and that's the only thing Uncharted does a better job at imho. I still give this game a 10 cause it looks good, plays verry verry nice and it's a great adventure game where exploration is verry enjoyable.
    I've played a lot of ps4 games since the launch and this is def in my top 3 after TLOU.
    Just buy this if you were hesitating and I'm sure you wont regret it
  56. Feb 21, 2015
    This is by far the best Tomb Raider game to date. The graphics are amazing, the game play is smooth and the story is excellent. I did not play it on the PS3 so I cant compare the graphics but on PS4 they are amazing.
  57. Feb 21, 2015
    Enjoyable romp through a series of set peice combats, puzzles and 'interactive cutscenes' (quickly push button X, R2, L3 .. etc). Pretty graphics, nice audio, workmanlike Tomb Raider prequel/backstory. Looks a lot better than the ps3 version.
  58. Feb 19, 2015
    Tomb Raider (2013) developed by Crystal Dynamics, is a very promising start to the action adventure series. While certainly a great game, it definitely doesn't stack up to the Uncharted franchise that would have so many of you to believe. It completely lacks of a compelling story and interesting characters, very much unlike Uncharted. It lacks the top notch voice acting and breathtakingTomb Raider (2013) developed by Crystal Dynamics, is a very promising start to the action adventure series. While certainly a great game, it definitely doesn't stack up to the Uncharted franchise that would have so many of you to believe. It completely lacks of a compelling story and interesting characters, very much unlike Uncharted. It lacks the top notch voice acting and breathtaking setpieces. However, when it comes down to gameplay this game delivers. Once you get over the slightly poor narrative, the game really opens up with customisation, an open-ended approach to level design and great platforming mechanics. The moment Tomb raider is considered a game, not an experience, it's a lot of fun. Puzzles too are a highlight of the game with some interesting treasures to collect. The game overall is really great and I'm jealous of the fact Rise of the tomb raider isn't coming to PS4 in 2015. However Uncharted 4 will be on the scene then, which is my most anticipated game of 2015, so I guess I can't complain. The premise for ROTR is already a big improvement from it's predecessor; with a story more focused on Lara's mental health. The rivalry between UC4 and ROTR will definitely be exciting. Nonetheless, Tomb raider (2013) is a great action adventure game. But has someway to go, for it to be up there with Naughty Dog's crown jewel. 8/10. Expand
  59. Jan 20, 2015
    Tomb Raider is an awesome game, you mus play if you are an action game fan: full of action and packed with a lot of interesting weapons and skills you can get/develop.
    This reboot of the series took the right direction for upcoming games in the franchise.
    Game play is smooth and intuitive in addition to the inventory and upgrading system. Story is nothing new to this kind of games but
    Story is nothing new to this kind of games but it makes the trick.
    The graphics of this version are stunning.

Positive things:
    + Next gen graphics.
    + Game play
    + Great base for upcoming games.
    + Character development and voices.

Negative things:
    - None but nothing is perfect.
  60. Nov 14, 2014
    update after i gave the game 3/10 points half a year ago:
    my main complaint was the price, for someone who bought the exact same game for the ps3. i finally got it for 20 bucks from the psn store and think thats a fair price for a "refurbished" version.
    update after i gave the game 3/10 points half a year ago:
    the game is good and a slightly different approach to the tomb raider series than in the older parts from the nineties, but thats not always a bad thing :-) if you like lara, go for this one, it's fun!!
  61. Nov 12, 2014
    Played this originally on Xbox 360 and loved everything about it. Decided to play it again with the remastered version on the PS4. Such a fun experience. You will know nothing of disappointment while playing this game.
  62. Nov 8, 2014
    Never played the non-definitive edition. Great controls, great graphics, good story, and decent challenges. Best game currently available for the PS4.
  63. Nov 8, 2014
    I really enjoyed this game, it looks good, has an interesting origin story and plays well. To me it felt very similar to Resident Evil 4, trust me that is a good thing, it is a fantastic third person, action, adventure, survival game. Another similarity is the way that you improved weapons; reload speed, capacity, damage, recoil etc. I really enjoyed upgrading my weapons and skills of myI really enjoyed this game, it looks good, has an interesting origin story and plays well. To me it felt very similar to Resident Evil 4, trust me that is a good thing, it is a fantastic third person, action, adventure, survival game. Another similarity is the way that you improved weapons; reload speed, capacity, damage, recoil etc. I really enjoyed upgrading my weapons and skills of my choice. Some of the skills have great animations, such as the close combat kills (reminiscent of Gears of War)

So why an 8? Well as much as I had fun with this game, even to the point of collecting all extra items and completing challenges. I felt a little disappointed by the lack of sub-boss/boss encounters. I'd spent ages upgrading and preparing an amazing arsenal of weapons, expecting some extremely challenging encounters towards the end of the game but it simply never materialised.

There are some great set pieces that are reduced to simple 'quick time events' or taken over completely by the cut-scenes and you just watch. Why couldn't I have shot that enemy in the head with an arrow instead of watching it? I won't spoil the experience for anyone but there was another moment I was anticipating a tough boss battle, which I was prepared for, then it was all taken away from me by a cut-scene. Even the final boss felt like a bit of an anti-climax in terms of difficulty and input.

This is where it falls short for me, Resident Evil 4's enemies became more and more challenging and were varied which simply wasn't the case here. The climbing and parkour was good, one of my favourite levels being the shanty town. Also use of the pick axe for climbing and scaling walls was great too. It's a great start for an origin reboot series, with much potential to improve for the sequel. Unfortunately as a PS4 owner I won't get the chance to play it as it will be exclusive to Xbox One owners. I picked this up for £18 and I had a lot of fun with it.
  64. Oct 26, 2014
    It's merely an upscale, but for players who missed it the last time around Tomb Raider is essential, Square Enix have delivered a truly marvelous reboot of the popular adventure franchise. The solid level design, smooth gameplay and gripping survival horror story merge together to provide a fantastic experience and Laura Croft has received a necessary and very welcome reinvention that hasIt's merely an upscale, but for players who missed it the last time around Tomb Raider is essential, Square Enix have delivered a truly marvelous reboot of the popular adventure franchise. The solid level design, smooth gameplay and gripping survival horror story merge together to provide a fantastic experience and Laura Croft has received a necessary and very welcome reinvention that has transformed her from an overtly sexed up adolescent fantasy into an exceptional heroine with depth. Expand
  65. Oct 24, 2014
    The thing that immediately stands out, to me, is the pacing of this game. Nothing feels too long or drawn out. Just when I'm tired of sliding on ropes and climbing things, it ends. Just when I'm tired of waves of enemies, I kill the last one. The story is interesting, the areas are large but not overwhelming. Collecting items isn't difficult (although completing the unmarked sideThe thing that immediately stands out, to me, is the pacing of this game. Nothing feels too long or drawn out. Just when I'm tired of sliding on ropes and climbing things, it ends. Just when I'm tired of waves of enemies, I kill the last one. The story is interesting, the areas are large but not overwhelming. Collecting items isn't difficult (although completing the unmarked side objectives can be really difficult).

The RPG elements and weapon upgrades are rewarding and combat is fun. Even playing on Hard, it wasn't quite as challenging as I would like, but I enjoyed every minute of this game. Finding relics and picking up journals to flesh out the story along the way just added to the fun.

My only real complaint is that I was constantly annoyed by not being able to make a rope ladder. I have rope arrows, so why can't I just shoot it into one of the many sticking points and climb up? I gave it a 9 because of the lack of rope ladders, which should explain how absurd I think it is. Anything that breaks my immersion so consistently is an issue.
  66. Oct 1, 2014
    A beautiful done remastered version of the current gen Tomb Raider. You will be amazed at the obstacles that Lara Craft had to overcome to reach the end. Great suspense. Great action. Owners of the current gen version may not justify the price tag to experience upgraded graphics. Worth a buy.
  67. Sep 29, 2014
    For me this just isn't what tomb raider is all about.. I know they keep going on about a reboot and whatever, but I just don't think the gameplay needed fixing.

Tomb Raider should be about raiding tombs primarily right? Not shooting waves of morons a la call of duty. There's little problem solving, and what little there is feels like it's been dumbed down, maybe for a new audience of action adventuring.. seems more like a shooter to me.

The storyline is absurd, i know tomb raiders in the past have had dinosaurs and what not, but this is just moronic, some random island with thousands of stranded people on it! all of whom have survived some sort of plane crash lol.

Everyone goes on about her growth from innocent to powerful, but meh, its just unbelievable and cringe! Who cares about that to be honest.. all i want is good gameplay and relic hunting in the context of a storyline, not some cringeworthy hollywood crap! And I think this is one of the main issues, gone is the British charm of the oldest Tomb Raider's, in is the generic American storyline and gameplay...some of the characters even pronounce her name wrong, its Lara not Laura!

Rant over.. graphically the game is ok, not brilliant, yea her hair moves!

Also where's the scream gone, nothing better than hearing Lara scream as she falls down a cliff to a thudding death!

All in all this game might be good for someone who either hasn't played a previous Tomb Raider or who likes generic gameplay.. ho hum.

Oh yea, Lara Croft for olympic long jump gold... ;)
  68. Sep 19, 2014
    Tomb Raider is a good game, but I just don't see what all the fuss is about. Sure, the story is fantastic, which had some moments in which I really felt for characters; but (not being sexist) Lara is REALLY dull. She just seems emotionless, all the time. The game says it's open world, but it doesn't really give you any freedom at all. It just basically features as an excuse for recurringTomb Raider is a good game, but I just don't see what all the fuss is about. Sure, the story is fantastic, which had some moments in which I really felt for characters; but (not being sexist) Lara is REALLY dull. She just seems emotionless, all the time. The game says it's open world, but it doesn't really give you any freedom at all. It just basically features as an excuse for recurring environments, and there's not a lot to do. The combat, though, is a TON of fun, and challenging. These are the only moments in which I REALLY felt for Lara, and the same can be said about the entire game. Expand
  69. Sep 19, 2014
    I was a huge fan of the Tomb Raider games on PS1, so I was really excited to buy this game. It lived up to ALL the hype. The graphics are awesome. The storyline is interesting and very entertaining. I also enjoyed the combat and witnessing the evolution of Lara Croft from an innocent shipwreck survivor to a wild, survivalist killer. Games like this do not come around often - it is highlyI was a huge fan of the Tomb Raider games on PS1, so I was really excited to buy this game. It lived up to ALL the hype. The graphics are awesome. The storyline is interesting and very entertaining. I also enjoyed the combat and witnessing the evolution of Lara Croft from an innocent shipwreck survivor to a wild, survivalist killer. Games like this do not come around often - it is highly exceptional.

Highly Recommended!
  70. Sep 14, 2014
    I loved the new survival feel in the series. The RPG elements are welcome as well as the encouragement for further tomb exploration even after the completion of the game. Excellent gameplay and graphics, insanely good job on animations too. Can't find any reason to score it less than 10
  71. Sep 8, 2014
    Let me start by saying, my review may not be accurate. It's possible that I've lost my love for games like this. There is no doubt that Tomb Raider is gorgeous to look at. And even has some fun gameplay moments. But the complete lack of a coherent story- laughable dialogue, and silly moments later in the game brought me out of it.

It's rare that I get so far into a game, and then just

It's rare that I get so far into a game, and then just stop caring. But that's what happened here. After suffering through the later half of story, dumb puzzles, and predictable moments....I just stopped near the very end. So this game gets a 5. Because it had me---and then somehow lost me. Is it awesome to shoot and bow and arrow the first few hours? Totally. But it gets old quick, and it's clear that all they had was a cool premise.

Story matters.
  72. Sep 2, 2014
    I think this is one game where the reviews and score is about right.

Decent graphics, not as good as P.T or The last of us remastered, but better than Redux.

Gameplay is fun, it is quite similar to uncharted, but just lacks a little bit the quality uncharted brought.

Overall the best tomb raider since ps1

I suggest if you can get it for no more than £25 grab a copy
  73. Aug 31, 2014
    Very intense gameplay and a well written and weird storyline is what makes this game good but the side activities like searching tombs and discovering artifacts make only the 8-10 hour storyline good.
  74. Aug 24, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is an excellent game, with marvellous graphics and ambience. On par with Uncharted in many moments.
    But what I think is the most important aspect, in these "uncharted-like" games, is the story.
    And - in this case - the story is good... up to the final sequences. Honestly I do not understand why, after such an epic journey, the storytellers couldn't create a better ending. To me it was a bit sad to spend such an amount of time to complete the game and receive a "just sufficient" ending sequence/story. An 8.5 that could have been a 9.5 ;-)
  75. Aug 19, 2014
    An absolutely amazing and fantastic game well worth getting and I recommend it to anyone! Only disappointment is that the next game is an Xbox One exclusive.
  76. Aug 3, 2014
    Cool design & graphics! Use and type of weapons is great. Some fantastic scènes. You get brutally killed once in a while which looks great! Videos in between are cool. But they could have made the bad guys (characters) more interesting! They where pretty boring. Story was okay, but could have been much better. Quite short game too. Boss at the end is easy to beat.
  77. Jul 31, 2014
    Havent played Tomb Raider since the tomb raider legends on 360, this is a breath of fresh air for the series and could be a revival to make it a top selling game again, this is a great game with a good story and some stunning visuals, but the puzzles are really easy (but they just be a individual thing)
  78. Jul 31, 2014
    Missed this on the PS3 and glad I did as this has been a lot of fun to play. I'm not sure if I would have bought it had I already played it on the PS3 though. The only downside I would say is the Multiplayer which seems a bit unnecessary.
  79. Jul 19, 2014
    Tomb Raider Definitive Edition is one of my favorite games of all time. It perfectly balances narrating the adventure with an emotional story and characters, challenges, discovery, upgrading, with the tension of the enemy encounters being at a enjoyable juxtaposition of the beauty you see and enjoy on the island paradise. I give this game a 10, but only because the game deserves it.
  80. Jul 17, 2014
    One of the best game of 2013, it actually was a contender for the Game of the year award! Its an exceptional action game with great graphics and interesting story!
  81. Jul 16, 2014
    I thoroughly enjoyed the game and I’d rate is as the 2nd best title of 2013 (behind The Last of Us). Get the Definitive Edition if you have a PS4 or XB1 but the original is fine too because this game shouldn’t be missed. I’m not a guy who’s ever cared about trophies but I’m going to platinum this game because I love playing it so much. There is even multiplayer but I haven’t played tooI thoroughly enjoyed the game and I’d rate is as the 2nd best title of 2013 (behind The Last of Us). Get the Definitive Edition if you have a PS4 or XB1 but the original is fine too because this game shouldn’t be missed. I’m not a guy who’s ever cared about trophies but I’m going to platinum this game because I love playing it so much. There is even multiplayer but I haven’t played too much of that. As of this writing, the sequel is my most-anticipated announced title and if they can build on what was delivered here while improving the quality of the supporting cast, it’ll be a GOTY candidate for 2015.

Pros:

The game is pure fun to play
    Amazing graphics and overall presentation
    Interesting progression system with RPG elements
    Interesting story with an entertaining narrative
    Unlike some similar games, there is context within the plot for all the violence
    Lots of replay value with tons of secrets to discover, the ability to revisit all locations after the endgame and online multiplayer
    Cons:
    Supporting cast isn’t well-developed

For the full reivew go here: http://pentafrag.com/tomb-raider-definitive-edition-review/
  82. Jul 15, 2014
    I have not owned a console since the Nintendo 64. Have always been a PC gamer. I got the PS4 free in a Sony promotion and borrowed this game as the first one I played. I certainly enjoyed it. Visually very good (have not played the PC version to compare). Once I got myself used to using a controller I had a lot of fun. The story is interesting. The setting was well done but a bit drabI have not owned a console since the Nintendo 64. Have always been a PC gamer. I got the PS4 free in a Sony promotion and borrowed this game as the first one I played. I certainly enjoyed it. Visually very good (have not played the PC version to compare). Once I got myself used to using a controller I had a lot of fun. The story is interesting. The setting was well done but a bit drab (always cloudy and night or dusk) although I suppose that was the 'atmosphere' the developers were going for.

In the end the thing that annoyed me the most was the 'on-rails' nature of the campaign. Nothing in the main campaign really required serious thinking or problem solving. It was usually just a matter of taking the very obvious route to the next marker and killing a few guys along the way. The side-quests (relics, documents, tombs) provided some interest and challenge. Speaking of challenges, it would be helpful if the game could remind you what the challenges are, because once you have passed through an area you can't go back (or at least not in any way I found) and found out again what the challenges in that area are.

Overall I enjoyed it as my first console game in years. More freedom in the single player campaign would have got it a higher rating.
  83. Jul 14, 2014
    I've only just purchased Tomb Raider for the PS4 but I can tell you, if you haven't played it before, BUY IT NOW!

It's an outstanding game with great graphics, deep gameplay, collectibles and a good story. I've not been able to put it down and with the quality of graphics, it puts down a marker for Uncharted 4. I've not played the MP yet but I may give it a try when I'm done with the

I've not played the MP yet but I may give it a try when I'm done with the campaign.

Can't wait for Rise of the Tomb Raider.
  84. Jul 8, 2014
    Never played the original, picked this game up for $35 for the PS4. As my first PS4 game it was absolutely amazing, visually stunning and action packed, can't wait to see what they can do with a non-port!
  85. Jul 5, 2014
    Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition is an absolutely brilliant gaming experience. The story is gripping and creates enough suspense to where you are dying to see how it ends. The updated graphics are pleasing to the eye, leaving me to suggest this is how Lara Croft is suppose to look. If you have never played the original release of Tomb Raider, and are on the fence of whether or not to buyTomb Raider: Definitive Edition is an absolutely brilliant gaming experience. The story is gripping and creates enough suspense to where you are dying to see how it ends. The updated graphics are pleasing to the eye, leaving me to suggest this is how Lara Croft is suppose to look. If you have never played the original release of Tomb Raider, and are on the fence of whether or not to buy it, I would highly recommend this purchase. It's one of the best games out for the next-gen consoles. I don't understand the people who rate it a 0/10 because they see it as a cash grab. Maybe so, but there is also the possibility that the game developers who poured their heart and soul into this game want to do it justice. A justice that only next-gen consoles can give it. So stop whining about the price grab. Besides you are suppose to rate the game play, not a company's profit margins. Should you buy this if you already own it on current gen consoles? I would say no, but that's totally up to you and your wallet. This developer deserves all the money they get for releasing a great game. Trust me when I say that Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition will quench your thirst for an action packed adventure that will leave you by the end of the game calling Lara Croft a total bad ass. Expand
  86. Jul 4, 2014
    A cinematic, action packed gem of a game, this is how you reboot a franchise. Lara has never looked so good. A nice blend of puzzles, shoot ups and cut scenes leads to a game I just couldn't stop playing. The multiplayer is just alright but for me the main story is classic gaming. Plays just like uncharted but I thought it was better, I'm now looking forward to rise of the tomb raider toA cinematic, action packed gem of a game, this is how you reboot a franchise. Lara has never looked so good. A nice blend of puzzles, shoot ups and cut scenes leads to a game I just couldn't stop playing. The multiplayer is just alright but for me the main story is classic gaming. Plays just like uncharted but I thought it was better, I'm now looking forward to rise of the tomb raider to continue the new adventures of Lara croft. Expand
  87. Jun 30, 2014
    Finished this game an hour ago.
    Well i already finished the PS3 version.
    So this is going to be an "upgrade" on my previous PS3 review. Definitive Edition got a total upgrade in the character's graphics and run in 60fps, which makes the game run sooo smooth. Basically it's already a great game, and with this upgrade on PS4, totally worth playing for. If you haven't played the PS3
    Finished this game an hour ago.
    Well i already finished the PS3 version.
    So this is going to be an "upgrade" on my previous PS3 review.

If you haven't played the PS3 version, get the PS4 version. Definitive Edition is almost flawless. It doesn't have any problems from the PS3 version, run on 60fps and Total HD.

This game is 9.5/10 for me
  88. Jun 25, 2014
    I'm telling you... WOW. If you're waiting, don't. Let me preface by saying, I'm an older gamer. My favorites are RPG's. Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Skyrim, Fallout, etc. Those are my kinds of games. This game probably more closely resembles Mass Effect in that the story, action, gameplay, suspense, action, surprises, fast pace, etc etc are really spot on. What a fantastic job thisI'm telling you... WOW. If you're waiting, don't. Let me preface by saying, I'm an older gamer. My favorites are RPG's. Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Skyrim, Fallout, etc. Those are my kinds of games. This game probably more closely resembles Mass Effect in that the story, action, gameplay, suspense, action, surprises, fast pace, etc etc are really spot on. What a fantastic job this studio did in creating this experience. Again, It's Action/story/screenplay with good writing and direction all wrapped up into a video game that I look for. If this sounds like you, trust me, you won't be disappointed. The gravy is this: It gets better as it goes. YOU get better as you go. The only negative is that it will end eventually. I could play this s*** forever. XBOX one had it cheaper for gold members (aside from gamely if you're a member) than PS4. $36 compared to $59. If they could put this kind of action and suspense into an actual tomb raider movie.. dam... that would be a helluva movie. I swear to you, you're in for a ride. Best Tomb Raider ever made. You'll see. Enjoy!!! Oh by the way.. PC gamers... I get it, but the big screen with surround on a console? It's Just more fun. Expand
  89. Jun 10, 2014
    I'm giving this game a 7. It is definitely a good game but it kind of has no purpose once you beat it. I went through and got all the extras and beat the game on the hardest difficulty, but I just had no reason to ever play it again. I beat it twice and haven't touched it since. It's a great game but I wish there was more to do or it had a good reason to play it again.
  90. Jun 8, 2014
    I had a frustrating experience with this game. I didn't play TR 2013, so this Definitive Edition was my first experience with the reboot.

The game starts really well, mixing intense action, exploration and suspense moments like when Lara is in dark cave surrounded by wolf sounds. Unfortunately the game quickly lost its tempo and becomes incredibly boring. As the games goes on you realize that there are few interesting things to explore outside the main plot, actually you realize that you are playing a third-person shooter, instead of an action-adventure one.

No problems at all with playing third-person shooter, actually its a solid game in that aspect, but I think its way too repetitive, with its cover based arena combats. You just get the feeling that you are facing the same enemies in the same combat, over and over, and over, and over again. It doesn't matter if Lara is fighting against samurai like warriors or against the fanatics inhabitants, the combat is the same. For example, in order to flush Lara (you) out of cover, the inhabitants will throw grenades, and the ancient warriors will throw some explosive artifacts that sound like grenades, and damages like grenades. Even the fight against the big final boss, is similar to a fight against another big guy in the middle of the game.

The main story is uninspiring, predictable and with stereotypical characters. Even Lara lacks depth. Game developers gave many interviews saying they wanted to show a more human aspect of Lara, unfortunately, it means Lara is pictured as a fragile girl 90% of the time, even when she is killing 20 men with big weapons, she keeps crying things like "stop it, please!".

The story is also...repetitive. For so many times, after entering a new area, you hear Lara's enemies talking about how they hate the island but need to follow Mathias' weird orders and be ready "for the girl". Lara makes a colossal effort to rescue her friend Sam from the fanatics leader Mathias, just to see Sam captured again few moments later...here we go again in a "save Sam from Mathias" mission.

There are some very good puzzles in the game, but those moments are very few.

The graphics and art direction are really good, but I don't know if it also happened in the ps3 edition from 2013, but the characters lack expression. Lara has the same blank expression the whole game. After playing AC: Black Flag, is impossible to not get disappointed with its aspect of Tomb Raider reboot.

The game has potential, tough, the chaotic feel of the combats are really enjoyable but needs more diversity, and the game deserves credit for trying to develop Lara as character.

Tomb Raider DE is a solid game, but its also a short and frustrating experience.
  91. Jun 5, 2014
    The game is visually stunning with tons of aesthetic ambience. The setting treated as a character is highly developed. Lara is well designed, fun to play, smart and without those awful stigmas from older games.
    But the game is full of AWFUL quick time events and difficulty spikes that are misplaced and unbalanced which drag the game down from what should have been a fantastic game!
    Definitive Edition update: Impressive looking on the PS4 with nice touches such as using the touch pad for torch lighting and changing LED lights (though gimmicky). I don't like that the game fully installs but the disc spins the whole time, that seems stupid and wasteful on the hardware!
  92. Jun 2, 2014
    This is definitely a great game that no fan of this genre should overlook. The story is pretty good, lasting me about 12-14 hours (yet to complete any extras such as tomb raiding the optional tombs) and I enjoyed every moment of it. The graphics are nothing less than stellar. Gameplay is quite like any other game of this genre like Uncharted for example and the AI is decent, though I amThis is definitely a great game that no fan of this genre should overlook. The story is pretty good, lasting me about 12-14 hours (yet to complete any extras such as tomb raiding the optional tombs) and I enjoyed every moment of it. The graphics are nothing less than stellar. Gameplay is quite like any other game of this genre like Uncharted for example and the AI is decent, though I am impressed by the amount of bombs/molotovs they are able to carry around. I haven't tried multiplayer mostly because I'm not subscribed to PS+ yet but I have heard that very few to no one are playing it so it will be the point deductor since it seems to be tacked on last minute, just my opinion.
    This game is worth the full price if you have yet to experience it on any previous platforms. But is it worth a repurchase, not really, you're pretty much paying a new game's price for better graphics.
  93. May 31, 2014
    Great game with great graphics and a great story.... For about 6 hours. Then it is and empty open world game with boring collectibles and NO side quests. There are some tombs that give it a little more play time but don't do much. Could have been great but lacks in replayability and overall length. Its like watching a TV show that only has one very short but powerful episode. Great andGreat game with great graphics and a great story.... For about 6 hours. Then it is and empty open world game with boring collectibles and NO side quests. There are some tombs that give it a little more play time but don't do much. Could have been great but lacks in replayability and overall length. Its like watching a TV show that only has one very short but powerful episode. Great and all, but if its shorter than most tutorials... why bother? Expand
  94. May 29, 2014
    Graphics: 8.5 Sound: 9.0 Gameplay: 8.5 Fun/Story: 8.8

Despite the graphics improvements i think this is another last generation game. Who played it first should´t buy it now, because visuals aren´t outstanding and the rest aspects remain the same. Although who haven´t played it before it´s a consistent purchase.
  95. May 25, 2014
    I had previously completed this on the Xbox 360 and I enjoyed a single play-through very much. So why go back again ? Simply put in a shallow way, better graphics. The levelling up system could have been more in depth and technical but I guess the developers have kept things simple so as to appeal to the masses. Lara hasn't looked this good for a long time !
  96. May 24, 2014
    First and foremost, whether you think this remake is worth full price is up to your own beliefs. In my opinion, the Definitive Edition is completely worth the full price of 60 dollars. What is included in this remake: the full game (1080p and 60 fps on PS4), new outfits for Lara, all the dlc multiplayer maps.

Story- great, but nothing special. Great main protagonist and interesting side

Story- great, but nothing special. Great main protagonist and interesting side characters,but bland antagonist.

Graphics- one word= beautiful. The island Lara is stranded on (that I forget the name of) is amazing and very detailed. It's obvious that the developers put a lot of time and effort into creating a beautiful and detailed world. Lara's model is one of the best and she (and her HAIR) looks even better in this remake.

Gameplay- one of the most fun experiences I've had in a video game in a while. The combat is fluid and fast-paced. Upgrades are available for all weapons and skills. One negative is the amount of QTEs during combat.

My one major negative is the multiplayer which is still as bad as the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions.
  97. May 19, 2014
    I don't do many reviews nor have I had the privilege of owning any other Tomb Raider games but this is pretty much the only game I purchased where I felt I got my $60 worth . The game runs smooth , the characters are extremely believable and you can see all the hard work that was put into this game. The music works extremely awesome with the game as well . If you love action games thatI don't do many reviews nor have I had the privilege of owning any other Tomb Raider games but this is pretty much the only game I purchased where I felt I got my $60 worth . The game runs smooth , the characters are extremely believable and you can see all the hard work that was put into this game. The music works extremely awesome with the game as well . If you love action games that have somewhat of a "RPG" Element to them , than I highly suggest checking this game out. You won't regret it. Expand
  98. Apr 29, 2014
    Definitive Edition was the perfect sub-heading to this game. That is exactly what it is, Tomb Raider the way it was meant to be played. As in life it's the little things that count, and as you emerge from that first cave and see that gorgeous sunrise cascading across the island and Lara struggling to stand with strands of her hair blowing in the wind (yep she's got strands now) you willDefinitive Edition was the perfect sub-heading to this game. That is exactly what it is, Tomb Raider the way it was meant to be played. As in life it's the little things that count, and as you emerge from that first cave and see that gorgeous sunrise cascading across the island and Lara struggling to stand with strands of her hair blowing in the wind (yep she's got strands now) you will know without a doubt that Square Enix has a hell of a ride in store for you.
    The designers have pulled out all the stops and have provided some of the best interior designs I've seen outside of the uncharted franchise. Lara struggles through her journey at first and although scared and unsure of herself she never feels helpless. The voice acting along with the intricate facial animation make for an emotional journey and along the adventure you sincerely want Lara to succeed. Of coarse we all know she makes it out in one piece, and eventually grows pyramid shaped breasts.
  99. Apr 28, 2014
    Though a beautiful game to look at and good fun while it lasts, the Tomb Raider reboot simply doesn't last long enough to justify it's hefty price tag. Easily finished in a day, it might take you a second or third day to get to 100% complete with all the collectibles. The online play is dull, and, and the engaging campaign was over all too quickly.

Story-wise, Lara's journey from a

Story-wise, Lara's journey from a skeptical, wet-behind-the-ears scholar to the near-unstoppable force of nature she was in her PS1 days is great, and of all the Tomb Raider games, this is the first one that really made me care about the character.

I hope the series continues, and I really hope the next entry gives us more to do in the campaign mode.
  100. Apr 27, 2014
    You cant say this game is a cash grab because it was released for the PS4 with higher resolution and textures! Yes, if you played this game on ps3 or xbox 360. then theres no point in getting it. But The game is amazing on ps4! if you haven't played it! GET IT!
  101. Jan 28, 2014
    Tomb Raider is an exceptional game, and this Definitive Edition is every bit as exceptional and then some. I originally played this masterpiece on my PC, a powerful rig with crossfired 7970's and a 2600K at 4.8Ghz. I thought that the game was visually exquisite on my configuration with TressFX etc all enabled and a stable performer, although even my rig couldn't escape frame dips from aTomb Raider is an exceptional game, and this Definitive Edition is every bit as exceptional and then some. I originally played this masterpiece on my PC, a powerful rig with crossfired 7970's and a 2600K at 4.8Ghz. I thought that the game was visually exquisite on my configuration with TressFX etc all enabled and a stable performer, although even my rig couldn't escape frame dips from a v-synced 60fps in areas such as shanty town. I think the devs have done a commendable job porting this to the much weaker, but still very capable, PS4 with so many visual bells and whistles intact and expanded upon. The game truly is a sight to behold running at 1080p and a perceptively quite stable 60fps on my big 65 inch Panasonic.

A lot of people/critics are marking the game down based on the price. This is unfair in my estimation. The 'game' is still a stellar AAA title, now with just more additional sheen. The practice of keeping the price high is something I understand the community's resentment over, but as far as ridiculous scores like 60% or below for the actual game itself I do not agree with at all.

If you never knew the title was released prior and sat down to play it and review it on its own merits in this incarnation you would be undeniably impressed and the score should reflect that.

10/10...on any platform.

1. Pelit (Finland)
    May 11, 2014
    It is better to be relaunched than forgotten. [March 2014]
  2. Games Master UK
    Mar 10, 2014
    Not played the original? Then this is essential, but there's not enough new here for returners. [Apr 2014, p.69]
    I was absolutely wowed by this game the first time I played it through because I was paying so much attention to the cut scenes and redesigned Lara Croft was a joy to behold...But having had a year to sit and consider the game's broader meaning, the second time around the game's flaws are all the more apparent.