8.1

1. May 20, 2014
    It's a beautiful game with a haunting soundtrack- I could listen to the soundtrack alone for hours. I found the turn based combat system allows the user to get used to the strategy before running head long in to complicated battles- a nice addition. The story is intense and builds slowly over time- there is so much to discover in Cloudbank that I know I will be learning things in the game for weeks to come! It is totally the spiritual successor to Bastion, but I like it so much more. Great job Supergiant! Expand
  2. May 21, 2014
    An absolute marvel. The attention to detail in everything from the music and art to upgrade system and battle mechanics is mind-blowing. No negative written user reviews but I can only assume the negative ratings are coming from some immature fanboys who are upset that Supergiant jumped ship from publishing on Microsoft. I only say this because no true gamer could hate this if they'd actually played it.

If it were a little longer, I'd go as far as saying its worth buying a PS4 just for this game. It's something that nobody who loves games should miss.
  3. May 20, 2014
    I won't say this is the best game ever, or even an amazing game. The words I would use to describe this is one of the most solid games I have ever played. Usually I go through games getting frustrated with some questionable design choices, but I could find no place to criticize this game like that. The developers put a lot of thought into every single detail of this game. The upgrade system is extremely well done. It gives you an insane amount of choices for what you want to do in combat. To build on that, it encourages you to try every combination with the incentive that you unlock more back story by doing so. The amazing upgrade system also makes for an amazing combat system. I do wish fighting in real time was a bit more viable, but the combat always had a lot of depth and a good difficulty curve that made the game just right amount of hard for the first playthrough.

The artwork may be this games best component. Every frame of this game could be a great desktop background. From the background to the foreground to the characters to the effects, everything stays in line with the art style and everything looks absolutely stunning. If this game were nothing more than an interactive art album it would have been worth the 20$.

The music is also very good. I must admit I enjoyed Bastion's soundtrack a bit more, but this game definitely has a great one as well. I particularly like the trailer song, We All Become One. It sounds great and very well compliments the story of the game. I wish more tracks in this game contained vocals.

I'm ambivalent about the story telling in this game. On one hand, it doesn't hold your hand, meaning you must pay attention and put 2 and 2 together in order to understand it. On the other hand, this completely fails as the story gets too complicated and you can't figure everything out. This would be alright if it was just small details you couldn't understand, but there are a few large gaps in the plot that me and a few other people on forums didn't get our first time round.

To sum it all up, this game is why I love good indie developers. There are no corners cut in this game. The developers obviously cared for this project very personally, and it shows. Although I don't think it will go down as one of my favorite games ever, this game is just so well made that I couldn't justify giving it anything less than a 9/10.
  4. May 21, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is wonderful, i must say i thought it'd be like an 8 because there was one problem i had with bastion, i thought it had boring combat but transistors combat is fantastic, limiters allowing you the freedom to choose difficulty, various attacks that can be used as upgrades for other attacks allowing varies ways of playing. Not to mention the artstyle, something that supergiant games is great at, its amazing. Even the story is quite interesting with various with the news reports and various interactables. This game is well worth 20, 40 even 60 dollars, with some replayability with new game plus or recuriion so you can play differently. THIS GAME IS A MUST BUY, its the best game thats come out as of this year and could very well be the best throughout. Expand
  5. May 21, 2014
    This game was perfect. From the narration to the artwork, soundtrack, gameplay, etc... I was completely immersed throughout the campaign. The game is beautiful, aesthetically, although has somewhat of a dark tone, and the two balance wonderfully to create a truly unique experience. I highly recommend this to anyone!
  6. May 27, 2014
    Transistor is a very good game just like the Bastion was, it's almost the same formula, good story+ terrific OST, who liked the previous game of this team, that will love this as well
  7. May 25, 2014
    Transistor is amazing!!
    Just the deep combat itself makes the game a blast to play. There are spell like powers called functions which you will unlock the more you level up. Each function can be combined with other functions in a updrage slot or you can put it in a passive slot gaining buffs for your characters. So every functions/spell can be used a direct weapon or a updrage or a
    passive buff which is amazing, the are 20 functions and the joy of the game is the expiriment you will make you make your character as powerful as she can be.
    Besides the game being great to play, the whole whole world is beautiful. The music is threw the whole game is freakin amazing .
    Overall im really enjoying the game and would recomond this game to any rpg fan.
  8. May 27, 2014
    On a fixed scale like metacritics´ zero to one hundred, the median is always more significant then the arithmetic mean. This is due to the fact, that the median is more robust to values that differ a lot from the mean, giving you a clearer picture of the real average score. I calculated it and hereby present you this games´ .... MEDIAN METACRITIC SCORE: 90 Source: My maths Professor or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Average Expand
  9. May 22, 2014
    I really liked this isometric 3d sprites on 2d backgrounds, I even liked it better than child of light.
    This game has a certain style about it, I like the transisitor and have learned to like the narrative that echoes form it in flashes of green.
    The combat and upgrade sytems allows a certain level of customisation, through combinations it takes a very little amount of time to realise
    cause vs effect with this. You can also stop time and turn base your attacks for strategic planning or real time.
    Overall I am throughly enjoying this game and I would recomend this to anyone.
  10. May 29, 2014
    I am absolutely torn as to the accolade of GOTY this year, given this was the year if the mighty dark souls 2!!! child of light and transistor where the outstanding games of the year for me, Transistor is the pinnacle of indie game making. Super giant games have created a fully realised world. Simply put this the best Indie game i am yet to play on Playstation systems. i'll start 1st with Gameplay, transistor stands out with it's take on the turn based/free flowing action with light RPG elements , while the system is great it is not flawless, but would never hinder your plans and works very well. What makes the title shine is the depth of gameplay, which in turn are shown by the options of your arsenal, you have primary actions, secondary attributes and passive attributes. But the catch is that you mix and match the same powers/abilities into any of these slots each action has two secondaries and then you have 4 passive actions. It is a difficult mechanic to describe in words but works wonderfully, It adds options and strategic depth, moreover it allows you to play the way you want to play.
    Add to that "limiters " which i much say were one of the coolest things in Bastion but come back here even cooler. This is Supergiants take on difficulty, it's a balance where you handicap your self in return of XP % boosts. It's optional but as i am a fan of challenging games, it make my life hell when i turn them most of them on. I just love how this is in an optional feature that elevates the game difficulty to exactly how hard you want it to be.

2nd thing on the list is Graphics, Anyone who played bastion knows that SG games have unique and awesome presentations. This trend continues in Transistor A beautiful SCI/FI world wonderfully colored and detailed. Its pretty to look at and stylised to perfection.

3rd up Sound This is DARREN KORB if you know him, you know what your getting into and it's phenomenal if not You are definitely missing out on one of the best artists in the gaming industry. Tunes go from futuristic to melancholic in a blink of an eye, it is done so perfectly and ties with the games sequences in such a way that deserves praise and recognition. Without a doubt the games strongest feat.

4th and last up story/ replay-ability story is cool not outstanding but it's a nice tale that unravels as the game progresses and was interesting through out. Due to the depth of options it would be a joy to at least play Transistor twice in my opinion.

All in all this is a video gaming achievement in the indie world and without a doubt warrants the price of admission.
  11. May 24, 2014
    A truly melancholic experience. Though the story itself is predictable and at times very simplistic in its themes, you hardly notice because of the elegance of its delivery. The game's art style is breathtaking, and when coupled with the superb sound design, Transistor is able to draw you into its world and not let you go. Some of the stories strongest points come when it drives home how hopeless Red's situation really is. The game creates a sense of longing and sorrow that is deeply moving.

The gameplay does not leave much to be desired either. If you've had the pleasure of playing through Bastion, Supergiant's previous game, you'll understand the basics of Transistor's gameplay style. The added 'planning' element adds some depth to more difficult encounters, but does little for the standard enemies you'll face. The leveling up is nice, but very simple (which could be a positive or a negative based on your feelings of RPG elements). Overall the gameplay is straightforward, and engaging. Though it lacks depth, it possesses a great deal of flair.

The only large issue I had with Transistor, was the story. The themes of the story, the delivery of the narration, and the relationship between the two main characters, ranged from good to fantastic. Where the game fell short, was in the actual telling of the plot. While ambiguity used in story telling can allow the viewer/player/reader to draw his/her own conclusions, too much ambiguity can lead to confusion and/or lack of interest. Transistor seems to walk the proverbial line when it comes to this. Though thankfully the story never falls onto the 'side' of being too ambiguous.

From the beauty of the artwork, to the amazing soundtrack, Transistor creates a world worth experiencing.
  12. May 21, 2014
    I was worried going into this game at 20$ for 6 hours, but my fears were unfounded. Yes, it's 6 hours if you rush through without playing the optional test courses or exploring the city or your ability tree in detail, but there's also a new game plus playthrough and I found the main game with all extras to be about 9 hours with 17 in total for a new game plus included. What a beautiful and original game it was too.
    A suave jazz vibe with great voice acting through my dualshock speaker as the lightbar lit to each word... it was an awesome experience I recommend to any one looking for a change of pace in their gaming landscape for a week or two. The music and voice acting is top notch and production values are sky high. Sleek is the one word I would use to describe the whole package.
    If you enjoyed Bation you will like this game, but this game is a little deeper and asks more from you in the best ways. What I can say most of all, is that it will stick with you. I only wish there were a real life poll for our forecast.
  13. May 26, 2014
    Transistor certainly is a beautiful piece of art, but also a very good fun to play.
    Nothing is left behind, from art to the gameplay, everything is amazing.
  14. May 24, 2014
    One of the best games I have played this generation. The game world is beautiful and full of mysteries. The soundtrack and art style complement it well. The gameplay is superb as well, with lots of depth and strategy. This is a must have for PS4 owners.
  15. Jun 13, 2014
    It's actually a really good indie game that keeps you coming back for more. Very colorful board. Action RPG game. The indie games are becoming a better market than the big name commercial games. Worth the buy.
  16. May 22, 2014
    I craved for an indie game which could satisfy my needs. I waited and waited for one that would prove to be fun, beautiful and gripping. Transistor is all this and more. Following the story of a woman who loses her voice and a man who's soul is trapped in a large, blade-like weapon, Transistor is an interesting and stunningly gorgeous game. In fact, since there's simply so much to say about this game, I have divided the main positives of Transistor which make it stand out in the sections below:

Visuals- Indie games have proved their capabilities graphically. Whilst they may not be extremely realistic or immersive, games such as Child of light and Transistor show gamers how different art styles can evoke different emotions from gamers. The bright colors in the environments I explored as well as the unique design of buildings, objects and enemies had me loving every second of Transistor. As though an artist had painted a beautiful strip of drawings and made it come to life in the form of a game, Transistors visuals shine brightly for their creativity and colors. There were moments where the creepy, dark areas had me wondering what was to come next and forced me to be extra careful of sneaky enemies. On the other hand, rooms with waterfalls of hues exploding around my eyes had me mesmerized and absolutely enthralled. In many ways, transistors visuals are a gift to players.

Gameplay- Gameplay in transistor is not too complex nor is it game changing. However, it works brilliantly with the idea of the game. The standard rug elements combine extremely well with the variety of skills and attributes unlock able. Players can explore different ways in which to attack enemies, linking moves with magic and different actions. In truth, transistors gameplay can be summed up in one word: different, never before has a game provided me with as many difficult choices and options before yet doing this so simply. There's also a special mode which the game encourages player to engage in where time can be frozen in order to plan and chain out the next few actions and moves of your character, restricted by a large gauge of power.

Presentation- Transistor is presented to players on a silver platter. With beautiful visuals and gameplay, what more could we expect? What more could we ask? Whether we want it or not, Transistor is giving it to us, Even the finest details are complimented greatly by the amount of effort put into every phase of the game. Menus, environments, special areas, characters, enemies, bosses. Each one is different and diverse in a special way. This, in turn, makes the game special and a joy to play.

Soundtrack- Not much can be said for Transistors sound track except that it is phenomenal. If anything, one should buy this game just for the music.

Negatives:

Story- Transistors story was interesting and great... When I understood it. The plot was complicated and confusing, there was no explanation given to players as to the backstory of the game or it's characters. Players must explore and find all of this out for themselves. This is great for people willing to actually spend large amounts of time digging into the game. However, for people looking for a fun 14.99 ride without too much attention being exerted on simple details, Transistor may not be for you.

Environments- The environments are one of the best parts of the game when they're not blocking the view of the player or trying to DO TOO MUCH. I enjoyed the simpler and easier to explore areas rather than the ones which had excess detail and unnecessary landscapes. An alteration between these types of areas would have been far more enjoyable, although I would be lying if I said I did not enjoy my time in the world of Transistor.

For me, this game is a 10.
    For others, depending on their patience, care and ideas towards indie games, this may not appeal as much. Still transistor is one of the best games I have played on nextgen and I enjoyed every moment of it. With all of this and more for just 14.99, Transistor is worth your cash. All of it...
  17. Jun 2, 2014
    Transistor was one of those games I had been anticipating for months. When I saw it at PaxEast in March I knew it was a winner. It has all the components of an amazing indie game. Beautiful art style, amazing soundtrack, fun game play, and a complex story to boot. There is so much to be said for a game with the emotional impact of Transistor.

You’re thrown into the story with little
    explanation of what’s happening around you. The surrounding environment is so beautiful you could easily spend hours just looking around. The art style is so unique to Supergiant Games and still so fresh and enthralling. An overwhelming feeling of immersion has made me emotional on more than one occasion, if we’re being honest here. This is brought on not only by the aesthetic of the game, but also the music. The jazzy soundtrack and overall vibe adds to the impact on such a complex level, it’s true genius. It’s so authentic and real that at first it’s shocking, and eventually just comforting.

As you progress you can find out more back-story through a variety of ways such as, reading articles on the computer modules, listening to Transistor, and interacting with various environments. This keeps the main story interesting while still adding an air of mystery. Through progression you begin to gain a sense of truly knowing Red both before and during the games timeline. The relationship Red has with the Transistor, which is her giant kickass sword, feels romantic and old like a classic film. Not romantic in a literal sense, but romantic in the sense it is a driving force behind the motives. The ability to have the Transistor speak through the Dualshock 4, and the lightbar pulse in sync with the dialogue makes Transistor truly feel like a current gen game. Fighting with Transistor, because of this, feels like more than just any other battle.

The combat system is smart, fun, and challenging all simultaneously. Unlocking moves with leveling keeps it fresh and exciting, and the chance to overload one move when dealt too much damage in combat makes planning moves far more difficult. At every save point I find myself switching the load out just to try different setups. Then, just when you think you’ve found one that will work, another move piques interest and has to be switched around all over again.

As far as I’m concerned Transistor is a total knockout! The two complaints I have are; the inability to change camera angles makes combat unnecessarily difficult at times, and sometimes it feels like you’ve lost direction and gone completely out of your way or missed things entirely which can cause confusion. Can you tell I had to stretch for the negatives? That’s because this game is near flawless in everyway. I consistently go back to playing this game over playing Watch Dogs or Wolfenstein because in my honest opinion it is a more enjoyable experience. A close contender for game of the year if you ask me. ShaunaOH gives Transistor a 94/100!!!
  18. Aug 11, 2014
    I didn't know much about this game before purchasing but after beating the game I felt it was worth my money. The music is really impressive. Few games can make me pause the gameplay and stand still just for listening to the BGM. Transistor is surely one of them. The combat system is addictive to me. There are 16 Functions available and you can combine them any way you like. Some combinations are powerful or super useful that could possibly make the game ridiculously easy, but apparently you have to try them out yourself, which is a fun process. Since it's a kinda short game, you will finish 2 enjoyable playthroughs before getting tired of the combat. Expand
  19. Jul 24, 2014
    **** brilliant... Enough said..........................................................................................................................................
  20. Jun 27, 2014
    Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery and Transistor is very familiar with this. Transistor shares many elements from its famous sibling, Bastion. Both utilize a bastion camera angle, both emphasize combat, and both are set in unique stylized worlds. But Transistor isn’t afraid to step out of the box. Its story and world feels both strange and enticing and its combat feels more fine-tuned, deep and dynamic. Transistor combines these elements to build off its predecessor.

You play as Red, a popular singer from the cyberpunk city of Cloudbank. The game begins dramatically with Red pulling a broadsword, the Transistor, out of the chest of an unnamed man. This man sacrificed his life to protect Red from an assassination attempt and now his essence is trapped within the Transistor, the weapon used against Red. Now it is up to our heroine, Red, to confront her would-be assassins and uncover the plot behind the assassination as well as their plans that threaten the whole city itself.

The titular Transistor plays the role as narrator throughout the story. After being introduced to Red, the Transistor gained the soul of the unnamed man and with it; its own personality and voice, and quickly becomes Red’s partner and weapon. The Transistor comments on Red’s actions throughout the adventure, from battles to simple actions across the city. The Transistor’s chatty nature made him a welcome presence on your journey across the deserted city of Cloudbank. With his constant advice and subtle wit, the Transistor acts as an excellent companion.

The core of Transistor is in its combat. Each player will spend most of their time combating the mysterious Process as they gain control over Cloudbank. Combat revolves around the combined use of “functions” and “loads.” Functions act as player’s attacks during combat and loads are used to control the battlefield. Loads add a layer of turn-based strategy into Transistor’s real time combat. During a turn, time freezes, allowing players to maneuver and line up a number of attacks, then release and watch a plan unfold on the unsuspecting enemies. The cost is a cool down that makes functions unusable. This mechanic is an interesting take on combat as it adds multiple layers to each fight, forcing players to choose between the more dangerous chances of real-time against the safe but costly turn based style.

Functions can be used in multiple different ways. Each function can be used as an active, an upgrade, or a passive ability. This gives players endless possibilities at different play styles. You could make a melee attack more powerful by equipping it with an explosive ability. Or, you can add a jaunt ability to your function that allow players to attack during “load” cool downs. Each function works well and can be combined into more fun play styles, encouraging experimentation.

Between core combat and mixing abilities for new load outs, there are other mechanics to be familiar with in combat. Instead of killing you whenever your health bar depletes, you use one of your functions; your abilities. As long as you have an active function working, you can continue the fight. You don’t lose these functions forever though, after reaching a certain amount of save points these functions return. This system allows players a chance to manage what abilities they currently have and learn to use them in new and exciting ways. A player can also use “limiters” which add buffs onto enemies such as taking double damage or less abilities to use per fight. Limiters add difficultly to each skirmish but offer the reward of more experience after each fight.

When you aren’t fighting the Process, you scour the world. Cloudbank is a rich, beautiful, fantasy city filled with mystery. I scoured the world for viewpoints and terminals that expanded the story and lore. These features aren’t just passive bits of lore; each terminal you encounter often gives the player an opportunity to interact. Red can leave comments on news articles
    These small details not only expand the lore of Cloudbank but also Red and the Transistor’s relationship as they respond to each appropriately.

Aside from the combat and the lore, the player can also partake in a few side activities. These take place in a “backdoor” that leads Red to a beach paradise. Here the player can challenge themselves to “tests” from defeating a certain amount of enemies within the allotted time to planning a move that defeats a foe in one turn. These don’t offer much as they only give the player more experience points as well as a piece of music that can only be played while in the “backdoor.” After the game is complete, the player is offered a new game plus option that allows players to continue the game with all of their abilities but changes the spawns of enemies. Late forms of Process appear earlier providing a more difficult second attempt.

Transistor is an excellent game in both visuals and gameplay. Every environment has a soft glow, giving the city a feeling of light in their darkest times. Each encounter feels fresh and never lets down even as foes grow stronger as the story progresses. These elements combine to create a wonderful experience you’ll sink hours into. Transistor isn’t a game you’ll want to forget, it’s one you’ll wish you can play again for the first time.
  21. Jun 27, 2014
    Very different from other games. Diablo mixed with a little bit of Disgaea mixed with gorgeous art and music. Very saddening story though. Right in the feels.
  22. May 25, 2014
    Beautiful game, amazing soundtrack and a really good combat system where you can speed through the battles or plan your strategy carefully.
    Everyone who has a PS4 or a PC and is a fan of this types of games must buy Transistor.
  23. May 26, 2014
    This game is so...so...so...deep and have a unique beauty when Red mutters beautiful songs... The combat is impressive with more then 4000 styles... there's no reason to not buy this amazing masterpiece game.
  24. Jun 7, 2014
    Transistor is a well-created, fast-paced action game that, in my opinion, tops Bastion. The story will move you in every way (especially for being about the relationship between a singer and a sword), the graphics are well designed, and the soundtrack is absolutely BEAUTIFUL! My only complaint is that the camera can be just flat-out all over the place sometimes. Other than that, it's a great game. You've earned the hype, Supergiant! Expand
  25. Jul 29, 2014
    A great game with a lot of potential. I enjoyed the game thoroughly. Combat system, artwork, soundtrack and the story were all close to perfection. Especially the soundtrack was hauntingly beautiful and fit the story brilliantly.The game was a little short though, offering only about 6 hours of gameplay on the first play through. Gladly the second play through was also enjoyable since there were many things yet to achieve.

As good and enjoyable the game was, i couldn't help but to think how much better the game could've been. Somehow transistor felt a little incomplete. The idea behind the combat system is brilliant and could've been exploited further.

All in all, Transistor is a very good game and easily worth 20$. I recommend this game for anyone who likes small games with beautiful artwork and memorable story coupled with brilliant soundtrack composed by Darren Korb.
  26. Aug 19, 2014
    This is game is amazing the gameplay was very colored and had amazing visuals, the controls were easy to learn and were quite smooth, the music was beautiful and colored I just couldn't not love it, and last but not least the commentary from transistor was quite enjoyable, it could be hilarious and sad and you became really connected. This game is phenomenal buy it- Quag_with_Class
  27. Aug 25, 2014
    A vibrant, yet empty, world with a compelling story really drives the game along with some unique combat mechanics. The soundtrack fits well into the tone of the game and is worth a listen on its own. The rpg elements are well designed, allowing for experimentation until you find what works for you.
  28. Sep 21, 2014
    Inspired. Funny. Magical. I love RPGs and this one it's pure art. Set in a cyberpunk distant future, you'll be Red, young voiceless singer trying to escape the cloud bank city with the transistor : a hyper tec-blade who preserv the digital copy of the mind who blaze.
    What else? Oh, perfect combat style and hight replay possibility.

1. Sep 3, 2014
    Transistor is an atmospheric and action-packed sci-fi RPG with excellent combat mechanics and deep customization options. The top-notch audiovisuals are complemented with a gripping storyline. Overall, Transistor is an excellent role-playing adventure. I sincerely hope, that other game companies are smart enough to copy the smartest ideas from this indie pearl. [Aug 2014]
  2. Jul 18, 2014
    Transistor is an example of style and courage, an action RPG with an intriguing combat system, a fascinating story and characters. This game is also simply sublime in the field of graphics and sound. A great game by the creators of Bastion.
  3. A unique creative vision that's not to be missed. [July 2014, p.82]