8.3

1. Jul 2, 2014
    This puzzle game, in conjunction with the background information about the great war that it supplies, has an absolutely moving, hearth-touching sad storyline. the graphical style is beautiful, as is the soundtrack. only the baron should be less cartoony and villainous imho, but besides that it's a great experience to play.
  2. Mar 26, 2015
    If this was trying to be the saving private ryan of video games, then this game has just hit a bomb outta the park. This puzzle adventure game has very simple puzzles, but suprisingly the characters and story kept me playing. The more I played, the more I leaned closer to the T.V not only because of the engaging story, but because of the fun/unique/intense/ and sometimes even wacky puzzlesIf this was trying to be the saving private ryan of video games, then this game has just hit a bomb outta the park. This puzzle adventure game has very simple puzzles, but suprisingly the characters and story kept me playing. The more I played, the more I leaned closer to the T.V not only because of the engaging story, but because of the fun/unique/intense/ and sometimes even wacky puzzles and action during the span of this game. The variety of this game kept things interesting, and how the game followed the four characters were excellent. I also loved the art-style of the game, the narration was very interesting, and the gameplay was very responsive. Having the collectibles also kept this game from being linear, which I enjoyed. The only negatives for me was the forced history lesson that pops up during the game (which I whole-heartedly ignored), and the recurring setup for puzzles (you have to finish puzzle A to get to Puzzle B to advance to the more interesting part of the story). And that ending, I legit almost cried, but held it together, it was that emotional. To end, I had a hard time deciding whether or not to give this one a 9 or 10, but settled on the latter since it's not a full priced triple a game, that everyone needs to experience. Expand
  3. Jul 2, 2014
    Stunning visuals and incredible story, at no point was I left disappointed. A variety of gameplay mechanics make the game feel fresh and surprising from start to finish , If you're used to more difficult puzzles like in Machinarium then you might be disappointed, you won't have to search through a FAQ to get passed these puzzles but I don't think they are meant to stump you. The realStunning visuals and incredible story, at no point was I left disappointed. A variety of gameplay mechanics make the game feel fresh and surprising from start to finish , If you're used to more difficult puzzles like in Machinarium then you might be disappointed, you won't have to search through a FAQ to get passed these puzzles but I don't think they are meant to stump you. The real reward is in the story and visuals the gameplay and puzzles compliment it. this is war told honestly and I hope its success leads to more emotional stories from the frontline and not more superhero type one man army games (Although I don't want to see all of those go either) Expand
  4. ndr
    Jul 5, 2014
    One of the best games in it genre. Great graphics, great story. Once I started playing I couldn't stop!

This and Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is one of the best games I've played in a long time!
  5. Jun 30, 2014
    I've been reading history a lot, one of my favorite parts of human history is of course ww1 and it's most emotional one for me, even more emotional and important than ww2(my opinion). Reasons are different, but about the game i can say that my whole year anticipation was worth it. You know, not only the story itself is done perfect and deep, Ubisoft showed how horrible war is, what reallyI've been reading history a lot, one of my favorite parts of human history is of course ww1 and it's most emotional one for me, even more emotional and important than ww2(my opinion). Reasons are different, but about the game i can say that my whole year anticipation was worth it. You know, not only the story itself is done perfect and deep, Ubisoft showed how horrible war is, what really happened on those fields of blood and pain. The great Pro of this game is that it doesn't quite chooses sides, it tells a story of people who lived at those dark times. I think that all understand that some survived , some not and not only this aspect made me cry a bath of tears, but I even had to stop playing the game on middle of playthrough, because i couldn't just keep up with fact that this happened. Gameplay is done great and with charm, sound sometimes just touches my heart and just whole game is beautiful experience.The characters are done excellent and you sympathize to their story, (sad part is that there is almost no George ark) In my opinion, the game is perfect and it's perfectly showing what the war did with people, what is doing write now and what sadly will do. Valiant Hearts has now a special place in my heart. Expand
  6. Mar 23, 2015
    Superb game, it keeps growing and growing on you, until the end, that is beautiful. The piano songs, art, camera movements, clever puzzles and a cast of very nice characters, that by the end of the game feels like they're your friends.
  7. Jul 7, 2014
    Unbelieveable game! Took my breath away. This Ubisoft took history and video games, a told an amazing story about the hardships during World War 1 in Europe. The characters, the soundtrack, gameplay, etc., were all amazing. This game will really hit home for some people, so expect sadness at some points. Beautiful, beautiful game; that must be played for people with a heart. These indieUnbelieveable game! Took my breath away. This Ubisoft took history and video games, a told an amazing story about the hardships during World War 1 in Europe. The characters, the soundtrack, gameplay, etc., were all amazing. This game will really hit home for some people, so expect sadness at some points. Beautiful, beautiful game; that must be played for people with a heart. These indie games are really starting to make an impact in the industry of video games. A must play for only 15 bucks! Expand
  8. Mar 8, 2015
    Not for everyone, yet I felt this game was made just for me. A story that gave so much emotion, which is rare. Shadow of Colossus and The last of us are the only games I feel can compete with that. Art is beautiful. I despised history class, yet this game gives interesting facts that make you realize WW1 had more than death and treaties signed. Great stuff. Free on PS Plus, but if INot for everyone, yet I felt this game was made just for me. A story that gave so much emotion, which is rare. Shadow of Colossus and The last of us are the only games I feel can compete with that. Art is beautiful. I despised history class, yet this game gives interesting facts that make you realize WW1 had more than death and treaties signed. Great stuff. Free on PS Plus, but if I knew it was this good I woudl have paid full price. Expand
  9. Jun 27, 2014
    Unbelievable. Emotional, moving, intimate. Beautiful. This is what is taking gaming from a child's activity to the most powerful medium available for storytelling. Simple story based on a truly horrific event. Easy to identify with, lovable characters, and an interface so friendly this is accessible to gamers of all skill level.

This is a MUST play for all of those passionate gamers

This is a MUST play for all of those passionate gamers who need more to a game than a reticle with some explosions. The best advice I can give is to stop reading about this game and go buy it now. A beautifully rendered, inspiring journey is only $15 away. Show Ubiart that we NEED more of this in our lives!
  10. Jan 17, 2015
    Straight up one of the best game I ever played. It looks amazing but more importantly the story is really good. It's emotional and gets you right in to the story and WW 1. I had goosebumps and also tears in my eyes several times. The gameplay/puzzles are very nice even though some might get bored of it, as it gets a bit repetetive (I did have no problem with it). The music is exceptionalStraight up one of the best game I ever played. It looks amazing but more importantly the story is really good. It's emotional and gets you right in to the story and WW 1. I had goosebumps and also tears in my eyes several times. The gameplay/puzzles are very nice even though some might get bored of it, as it gets a bit repetetive (I did have no problem with it). The music is exceptional and fits perfectly to the game and it's moments.
    Play it until the end. It's worth your time and you will love it.
    I would love to see other developers make so beautiful and emotional games instead of concentrating on realistic graphics. But that's just my opinion.
  11. Jun 27, 2014
    This is one of the games that got me more sentimnetaly attached to it you should play it.I think this game is worth every penny spent on it and also i cried several tims trough the story.
  12. Jun 28, 2014
    Amazing game which compelled me to write my first review, ubisoft are fast becoming my developers of choice. Love the art style it's beautiful and shows that current gen photo realism is not always best. pick this up you won't be disappointed. By the way ignore the 0 scores they are a joke, they must have been playing an atari 2600 game or something.
  13. Jun 28, 2014
    The game is beautiful. Not only in appearence, but in story as well. The music, the actions, the art, create an amazing storytelling experience with so much emotion that will make your heart race and your eyes tear. Also, the game is fun, envolving and have lots of smart puzzles. The gameplay never gets repetitive. The ending could be little longer, but still make it all worth it. Great game.
  14. Jul 6, 2014
    Valiant Hearts:The Great War is a game that both inspires and encourages hope in a bleak and desolate WW1 era Europe. The puzzles were fleshed together in a way that made sense both in game and in context, you aren't superman, you are a soldier. You need to use your mind to get through situations. Decisions need to be made in seconds if you wish too keep those you love alive. The gameValiant Hearts:The Great War is a game that both inspires and encourages hope in a bleak and desolate WW1 era Europe. The puzzles were fleshed together in a way that made sense both in game and in context, you aren't superman, you are a soldier. You need to use your mind to get through situations. Decisions need to be made in seconds if you wish too keep those you love alive. The game brings a incredible amount of emotion into a time that is tragically overlooked. It puts you in the position of normal, regular day people, made to fight in one of histories most atrocious wars. Death and sorrow become commonplace in the trenches of Valiant Hearts, and the fantastic sound and art design create a atmosphere which makes you feel so vulnerable, so out in the open, that it made me shiver any time I would see a fellow soldier fall to just one of thousands of hazards that plagued the battlefield. While experiencing the levels, you will find a dynamic backdrop that shows the plight of your brothers, those who are simply following orders. The "boss battles" if you will are excellent and well paced as they make you lose that sense of security of abiding by your own rules and throw you into situations filled with panic and paranoia. The fight with the Baron in the bunker stands out as incredibly tense and filled with emotions that compel you to prevail in order to save those you hold so dearly . The story complements the game play in a way that few games, excluding Journey and Brothers: A tale of Two Sons, have managed to accomplish. It creates a bond not between you and the characters, but the characters themselves. Never once while playing did I feel that I was playing a game, I felt like I was there with the assortment of character that we encounter in this journey. The ending itself suits the game perfectly and not to spoil anything, it did leave a hole in my heart. All in all, this game is another fantastic example of the rebirth in story-driven games that has come to fruition in these past 2 years. If you have 15 dollars on hand, you owe it to yourself to get a copy of Valiant Hearts: The Great War. Expand
  15. Aug 24, 2014
    Moving and intimate. These are just two words to describe this game. Ubisoft have shown the true horrors of war with grace and truthfulness, yet with respect. All should play this game just to get an idea of what it would been like for all those brave men and woman.
  16. Mar 9, 2015
    This is something hands down amazing. Valiant Hearts goes deep in that of WW1 a very touchy subject as neither side could be described as good or evil like many can with WW2, so instead the game goes into the lives of soldiers and show/tells us the ways how war is Hell. We got 4 characters here Emile a French Soldiers, Freddie a US citizen joining French forces, Anna a medic who only aimsThis is something hands down amazing. Valiant Hearts goes deep in that of WW1 a very touchy subject as neither side could be described as good or evil like many can with WW2, so instead the game goes into the lives of soldiers and show/tells us the ways how war is Hell. We got 4 characters here Emile a French Soldiers, Freddie a US citizen joining French forces, Anna a medic who only aims to make sure people survive this Hell, and Karl Emile's step son who was forced out of France and made into a German Soldier. However Emile in this is the main main character, the game mostly centers around each one of these character's personal goals and endeavors making the war something of an obstacle for each of them to get around. Gameplay wise is it is a simple 2D platforming/puzzle solving adventure usually you have to progress past something by finding an item to use to progress past something, simply put if you don't like being paced and stopping to think stay away from this game. Even with that said it's something to see with the ending being pure beauty (not going to spoil anything) as we drag our character witnessing horrifying (yet stylish) cartoonish locations that make it so when the heavy emotional stuff has a greater impact than any serious war game that has come up in the past. With all this considered there is a certain demographic that is specifically targeted here and that is people interested in story, if you don't have a lot of time on your hands, or are looking for game to have actual fun in then I have to tell you to stay far away from this game as possible, it has a heavy atmosphere that doesn't let up putting the weight war on your character who you can't help but want to come out of this, this game is also very educational too somethings are simple and in fact you could learn some new things which is pretty neat. But anyway this is a very emotional pain train of a game and will play with your emotions like nothing. I would give this game a score between 8-9 but I decide to give this a 10 to somewhat raise the score a bit. Expand
  17. Mar 19, 2015
    Buy this game immediately if you have not played it yet!!! Ok with that out of the table, I want to say that the game is amazing. The story is emotional, gripping and makes you care about the characters. The gameplay is pretty simple with puzzles here and there. It shows that war is not just like the war in Call of Duty but a violent bloodbath. There is not a lot of games that made me cryBuy this game immediately if you have not played it yet!!! Ok with that out of the table, I want to say that the game is amazing. The story is emotional, gripping and makes you care about the characters. The gameplay is pretty simple with puzzles here and there. It shows that war is not just like the war in Call of Duty but a violent bloodbath. There is not a lot of games that made me cry but this is one of them. Good job Ubisoft Montpellier! Recommend it to everyone. Expand
  18. Mar 21, 2015
    Valiant Heats is simply wonderful. It's mature and whimsical, beautifully directed and cleverly written. This is one of the rare gems in video games that at the conclusion will leave you staring at the screen and contemplating the entirety of what you just witnessed. It's sad and beautiful, and it's worth every penny.
  19. Apr 11, 2015
    In case you ever get into an argument about video games being art, Valiant Hearts is a definitive proof that, yes, games can be art indeed. VH can be best described as a puzzle platformer. You control five characters with different abilities and solve puzzles in a 2D environment. The controls are simple and intuitive and the game is fun to play. The graphics are beautiful and it'sIn case you ever get into an argument about video games being art, Valiant Hearts is a definitive proof that, yes, games can be art indeed. VH can be best described as a puzzle platformer. You control five characters with different abilities and solve puzzles in a 2D environment. The controls are simple and intuitive and the game is fun to play. The graphics are beautiful and it's impressive to see what Ubisoft managed to do. Screenshots don't do this game a justice, you must see it in action.
    What makes VH more than just a pretty puzzle game is the writing, narration and music. Without giving away any of the plot details, the story follows five characters (well, four and a dog) of different nationalities and the way World War 1 changed their lives forever. The game provides many WW1 facts and historical photos to give context to the game's events. VH is a short game but it's a powerful experience that you'll be thinking about long after the ending credits are over.
  20. May 15, 2015
    A clear, inspiring and moving insight of the dynamics of the World War I. I usually like these kind of games, adventures/actions and platforms, but this one tops most of the ones I played, I don't understand the poor reviews and the 77/100.
  21. Mar 9, 2015
    If you're looking for a FPS type game or something with difficult puzzles go find a different game. However, if you're looking for a game that tells a story where you become invested in the characters, then this game is for you. While the graphics aren't ground breaking, they do look quite nice. The story and the characters are the real centerpiece to this game and I loved almost everyIf you're looking for a FPS type game or something with difficult puzzles go find a different game. However, if you're looking for a game that tells a story where you become invested in the characters, then this game is for you. While the graphics aren't ground breaking, they do look quite nice. The story and the characters are the real centerpiece to this game and I loved almost every minute of the game.

The only reason I didn't give this game a 10 is that I ran into a few locations in the game where the game got stuck. I could move around and do things, but the thing I needed to do to progress in the puzzle wasn't working. A quick exit of the current game and continue fixed the issue each time and the auto save is never that far back.
  22. Jun 26, 2014
    from the start to the end, this game is beautiful. it works well at all at which is does, from the story, to the way the puzzles are implemented. i wont speak of anything specific of what i liked or disliked as i would recommend you see it all for yourself. its good game. a really game. a refreshing one. and im more than happy i bought it. i wouldnt say its perfect, but it has a sweet spotfrom the start to the end, this game is beautiful. it works well at all at which is does, from the story, to the way the puzzles are implemented. i wont speak of anything specific of what i liked or disliked as i would recommend you see it all for yourself. its good game. a really game. a refreshing one. and im more than happy i bought it. i wouldnt say its perfect, but it has a sweet spot my heart! Expand
  23. Jul 1, 2014
    Valiant Hearts is a beautiful game that shows you what few other war games ever will: War is not fun. There very little besides pain and despair for those involved. This portrays this wonderfully, but still manages to wrap all of it around a very touching story.
    The gameplay is unremarkable but works well, but much like the Walking Dead or the Wolf Among Us, you won't be coming back to it for the gameplay. Instead, you'll be emotionally caught up in the characters and the world around them.
    I also greatly appreciated Ubisoft's effort to keep the game as historically accurate as possible. At the start of every new scene, you are (optionally) bombarded with historical facts and photos to give you a better sense of life in the trenches. Yes, it means you have to stop and read for a little bit, but the way it enriches the story makes it worth every second.
    I cannot say enough about this game, but I highly recommend it. You will come away with a better understanding of not only this often-overlooked war, but warfare in general, and I believe you will enjoy it.
  24. Mar 28, 2015
    It's difficult to find a flaw with Valiant Hearts: The Great War. Featuring beautiful environments and an engaging story, the game never failed to wow me. Yes, there are some rather uninspiring levels included (such as the boss fights) but overall this game is very well polished. The puzzles are challenging but satisfying when completed. It's a good game but the main problem is it barelyIt's difficult to find a flaw with Valiant Hearts: The Great War. Featuring beautiful environments and an engaging story, the game never failed to wow me. Yes, there are some rather uninspiring levels included (such as the boss fights) but overall this game is very well polished. The puzzles are challenging but satisfying when completed. It's a good game but the main problem is it barely offers any replay value. I want to give this game a 10 but there's something inside me telling me not to. I don't know what it is! Expand
  25. Jun 29, 2014
    sweet art style very great story love reading about all the facts and learning about WW1 from the point of view of the trenches parts were probably the only part i didn't like
  26. Jul 8, 2014
    This is why I play video games. This game... right here. Forget the gore, violence and sex and all that other jazz that gets pumped into games. This game boils down to something pure and honorable. Something that connects with anyone who has a shred of compassion for a fellow human being. The musical score and characters and the terrible situation (WWI) they find themselves in draw youThis is why I play video games. This game... right here. Forget the gore, violence and sex and all that other jazz that gets pumped into games. This game boils down to something pure and honorable. Something that connects with anyone who has a shred of compassion for a fellow human being. The musical score and characters and the terrible situation (WWI) they find themselves in draw you instantly. Then you stay, through the puzzles and the mud, anger and tears, because you want each character to be happy. But war isn't a happy place and the game reminds you of this. "War makes men mad". This is a MUST BUY. The only reason that it doesn't get a 10 is because I'm selfish and it I wish they had a few more levels. Expand
  27. Jun 24, 2014
    Finally there is a war game which is not to gun blaze every one all the time. Valiant Hearts: The Great War has a interesting, touching and meaningful story line. Gameplay is quite good. The puzzle solving is great. It even creates more intense moment than other ordinary action adventure game. It is probably the best game Ubisoft has made this year. It is very cheap and you should pick itFinally there is a war game which is not to gun blaze every one all the time. Valiant Hearts: The Great War has a interesting, touching and meaningful story line. Gameplay is quite good. The puzzle solving is great. It even creates more intense moment than other ordinary action adventure game. It is probably the best game Ubisoft has made this year. It is very cheap and you should pick it up. 1 marks extra is given to all the emotional and beautiful trailers of this game. Expand
  28. May 12, 2015
    A thought provoking side-scroller-puzzler set in and around the horrors of World War I. 4 intertwining stories about loss and surviving against all odds. Very well written and presented, Valiant Hearts is an under-appreciated gem which should not be missed. Some of the puzzles are a little misguided and the game does little to guide you in certain situation which occur about once perA thought provoking side-scroller-puzzler set in and around the horrors of World War I. 4 intertwining stories about loss and surviving against all odds. Very well written and presented, Valiant Hearts is an under-appreciated gem which should not be missed. Some of the puzzles are a little misguided and the game does little to guide you in certain situation which occur about once per chapter. The hint system is hit and miss, 2 out of the 4 times I referred to it the hints were irrellivant. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Expand
  29. Jul 16, 2014
    Valiant Hearts is one of the finest games about war ever created. War games typically involve aiming down sights and shooting folks while everything blows up around you, a cut scene starts that tries to shoe horn in some story, then you follow another guy to another place, shooting along the way, for another cut scene. Valiant Hearts does away with all of that, telling the story ofValiant Hearts is one of the finest games about war ever created. War games typically involve aiming down sights and shooting folks while everything blows up around you, a cut scene starts that tries to shoe horn in some story, then you follow another guy to another place, shooting along the way, for another cut scene. Valiant Hearts does away with all of that, telling the story of multiple characters whose lives intersect during World War I, and giving you glimpse into how devastating the Great War was.

Created in the Ubi Art engine, and using a puzzle solving approach, the game takes you across France in an effort to give you a glimpse of what life might have been like. The controls are solid, the graphics lend an introspective feeling to the game that is unexpected, and the sound is wonderful. Though most of the gameplay portions have no actual dialogue, the voice overs that do occur are excellently written and acted.

The puzzles are not going to be the toughest, and the game is not very long, but if you are looking for an engaging, well written, insightful game, look no further. Valiant Hearts is not a game everyone will love, but it is a game that shows how good story telling can make a huge difference in the end quality of the game.
  30. Jul 24, 2014
    This game is so unique, emotional, and beautiful, that it would be a crime for anyone to rate it low or not feel a thing when you're playing it. I mean it, who wouldn't feel a thing when it goes to the horrors of war, that war being World War 1, and the fact that it has a helpful dog companion?

1. Aug 28, 2014
    While it can be completed in less than six hours, it perfectly explores themes and concepts that triple-A titles still have difficulty grasping: gray morality, a poignant, thought-provoking storyline, and appealing gameplay that isn't based on killing everything in sight.
  2. Very pretty, but pretty shallow. Unchallenging – both emotionally and as a puzzle-platformer. [September 2014, p71]
    A short and simple adventure game with strong atmosphere delivered via an unique visual style. If you're looking for something different, this is it. [Issue#244]