7.4

1. Nov 5, 2012
    Um, what game did these "video game critics" play? It couldn't be the one with the most interesting lead character (sans Ezio) in the entire Assassin's Creed legacy in the beautiful but deadly Aveline de Grandpre who alone is almost worth the price of admission. It couldn't be the game that transfers to a handheld but gives a robust amount of gameplay, improved fighting mechanics, different personas to use that effect gameplay, and graphics that are on par to AC:Revelations. This game is incredible. Aveline de Grandpre is instantly one of my favorite video game characters. She's intense, but ladylike. Poised but deadly. A beautiful woman with a poisonous bite if you cross her. I love her. The game is beautiful and fun to play. It's the most fun I've had playing Assassin's Creed....ever. Again, what game did these critics play? This game is awesome. Please Ubisoft, make more of game revolving around AVELINE DE GRANPRE!!!! Expand
  2. Dec 10, 2012
    I'm no fan of the Assassin's Creed series and the reasons are many, and one of these is the repetitive gameplay. I liked how the second tried to make it more varied and, all in all, it's NOT a bad series and actually it's one of the most engaging series ever. However, this is NOT a good game at all. First off, I liked how there's a female character for the first very time and I liked how they tried to use this as an advantage by switching the clothes...but the female character really is bland and she seems more like a puppet in our hands than a true heroine: I never felt her more than an avatar and that's really sad because it had potential, a lot of it. The clothes aren't well implemented as well: they change how you contact the people and, basically, your weapons sets (the lady is usually out of sight and her main weapon is the umbrella blowgun; the slave will be marked the more she acts weird and can't use guns and longswords; and the assassin is basically avoided if you don't want nuisances and can use guns also). But here's the big problem: you always have to change them manually for missions that require different sets, which can be a big problem if you didn't know that before hand (the biggest example was a mission where you had to reach a ship in 1:30 minutes, and I was using the lady dress in that moment). These are the small details however, because the big slap in the face are the missions themselves (even main missions)....and holy hell they are BAD. I'll be honest: I liked how they wanted to make the missions more challenging by adding an extra objective (like reaching point X in less time, kill with specific weapons, and so forth), and surely adds variety to a series who hardly had any....but the objectives are completely cheap! The requests for those extra objectives are completely stupid, because they make missions harder than they should be (biggest examples here are the missions where you have to kill a certain target...they'll make it stupidly harder by asking you to kill them in the most weird ways imaginable). And even if you don't do the extra objectives, here comes another big flaw: the game is glitchy and doesn't fit the clothes system. For instance, if a mission tells you to not be seen, and you get spotted by THIEVES, the mission is over. If a mission asks you stalk someone, you can choose which clothes to use...too bad you will fail the mission if you run away, and so you're forced to accept the mission in the right clothes. Sometimes missions aren't very clear and you will easily fail due to some misleading instructions. Also, the puzzles that uses the Vita features are very badly implemented and sometimes they don't work as they should (the letter opening wasn't working; the light trick works randomly; the pickpocket sometimes won't register my movements). The only good thing is the touch screen which works fine and actually better than I thought, but that's really it. More bugs also keep coming up and so far I don't think there were any patch to fix them up yet. Ah and yes, for a Vita game, is very strong and very good looking, even if there are slowdowns now and then...but good graphics never make a good game to me. All in all, I really didn't enjoy this game a single bit. For fans of the series, it's a good addition and they'll probably ignore most of the flaws, but for anyone else, just look for something else... Expand
  3. Nov 2, 2012
    I don't know why the metascore is so low. I play the Liberation of 15 hour and it's a very good game! The only thing that bothers bugs. You can see that the terms chased, and the publisher wanted to launch the game appear in stores the same day as the stationary version. This doesn't change the fact that Assassin's Creed III Liberation is a must have for owners of PSV.
  4. Nov 4, 2012
    I love this game. Finally something on the vita that looks and plays great. There is some lag but the graphics rock. I only played the first AC, but like this one much better.
  5. Oct 31, 2012
    For a handheld the game is great. We have to remember, Vita games do not get the budget of the console big brothers, yes there are some bugs but they are on the console versions too. If your a Vita owner make this a purchase and enjoy...
  6. Oct 31, 2012
    The BEST AC game EVER on a portable system, and it is almost as good as its console brethren. The world is big and detailed, gameplay is refined and polished, and it is a really long game too. However, it does lose points for framerate issues and not-that-great story. Nevertheless, you do get accustomed to the framerate rather soon, and of course for such a vast and detailed game, this kind of framerate was kind of expected. Expand
  7. Nov 15, 2012
    I don't trust critics anymore, this game is great, i don't know if that's because i'm a fan of the series, but i really really enjoyed this game, i might even go as far and say i enjoyed it more than the console version, mainly because i hated Connor, this game isn't a 10 but i rated it that way because i'm noticing some trolls are rating it 0 without even playing it, pathetic really, my real score is 8.5/10 btw. Expand
  8. Nov 19, 2012
    What an absolute load of rubbish. Nothing works properly. Combat was better on some PS1 games! Free running is lame....doesn't work as well as the previous PS3 games. Collectables are boring. The persona idea is nice but having to go around in the lady persona is just so dull and boring.

The story is actually ok. I liked it. But the thing is the actual gaming aspect is so terrible I
    can't give this any more than a 4. Expand
  9. Nov 13, 2012
    It feels like it could do better, but to be honest it's a very entertaining game overal. Only the multiplayer is not really what I expected/like, but I never play AC for the Multiplayer but for the single player modes!
  10. Nov 6, 2012
    Great addition to the franchise, I think Ubi did a great job in both Liberation and ACIII at capturing the times. The game play is extremely enjoyable, graphics are superb, combat is fun, not a lot of gimmicky touch controls. Small in game features cause some annoyance such as the challenge of lower notoriety (knit picking here). My main complaint is the lack of a true AC multi-player experience. If you are fan of the series, this is a must own. Expand
  11. Apr 7, 2013
    This feels less like a AC game, and more like an entire game of quicktime events. There is little to no actual skill required, simply run along the provided paths (which includes jumping from tree to tree), tap repeatedly for combat, then it's on to the next cutscene, rinse-repeat. There is little 'fun' in 'playing' this game, as you are guided so directly down the path to your next objective. Other AC games feel like an open world, but here there's little reason to waver from your objective, and doing so just gets you lost in the jungle.

Thoroughly disappointing experience!
  12. Nov 5, 2012
    Story [5]: The weakest part of the game, it just doesn't come together nor offer much tying you back to the main Assassin's Creed games, but the characters are interesting, voice acting is great, and the locations are really cool and distinct.

Graphics [9]: I am blown away. The graphics hit that 2nd generation PS3 graphic level. The animations are some of the best of the series, and it
    is just amazing how much they present on this system.

Gameplay [10]: The biased category for sure, but I love Assassin's Creed, and its mainly for the exploration and execution of the game, and not so much for the story (it always was drawn out and convoluted). So, if you love exploring the open worlds finding every sync perch then this game is just as great as all the rest (plus they took out Revelations dumb tower defense game).

Overall, this game is a ton of fun in the palm of your hand. And for that fact alone they give you a great Assassin's Creed game. It easily stands up to all the rest. Though it is not the best, it certainly is not the worst. The gameplay is perfect and though the story doesn't seem to offer much for Aveline or tie very well back to the main thread, it still offers a great experience that shouldn't be missed.
  13. Nov 18, 2012
    I was really impressed when I first started playing this game, but by the end, I was completely let down. I have no desire whatsoever to actually finish all the collection trophies, but unfortunately I will have to. Changing from persona to persona actually became a chore instead of a highlight and the lady persona is completely useless in my opinion. When I finished the campaign I was left scratching my head wondering what had just happened. The fluidity of the game is pretty good, but the fighting actually became boring due to the lack of animation once you actually recycle the same moves over and over again. Expand
  14. Nov 10, 2012
    Liberation stands as one of the most impressive games on the Vita so far. Graphics can be a bit crispy, some textures are just unacceptable and the city is quite small, compared to the console version, but still stands as the most fun and vivid city in any open world game for the Vita. However, this is not a game for Assassin's Creed beginners. Controls feel as smooth as any other home console Assassin's Creed game and by that I mean the most clumsy and complicated controls in any third person action game. There's no background story and you're thrown straight into action, which can be pretty hard to understand. The manual lacks intructions and in-game tutorials are hardly helpful. For instance, some touch controls are just not explained at all and I had to learn how to counter in internet forums. What may break the game even more for some is the huge number of glitches. Every open world has them, sure, but Liberation takes it to a whole new level with save corrupting bugs. Hopefully Ubisoft will take care of it soon.

Although it has some rough edges and it could have been a longer and more comprehensive installment in the series, Assassin's Creed III: Liberation is able to be the very first true Assassin's Creed experience on a handheld console. For AC fans, it's definitely the right time to pick the console.
  15. Nov 2, 2012
    As fully featured as any console game, and every aspect feels like it was given the proper care. Liberation is part of a beloved series, and it can be proud standing beside any other of your Assassin's Creed favorites. If you've been looking for a reason to pick up a PS Vita, this is probably it.
  16. Nov 5, 2012
    As of this writing the user reviews stand at Postitive: 72, Mixed: 6, and Negative:10. In other words, the majority of users really like this game. The Critic reviews currently stand at Positive: 14, Mixed: 13. What's wrong with this picture? Go with the users. The game is amazing. I saw one or two user reviews claim that the graphics weren't up to Vita standards. I'm calling 'troll' on that claim. AC:L is almost as beautiful as Uncharted: Golden Abyss. It's basically Assassin's Creed in your pocket and it's awesome. Is it perfect? No. But it's a phenomenal achievement. It plays like Assassin's Creed on the consoles. It looks like Assassin's Creed. No brainer. Expand
  17. Nov 9, 2012
    THE CRITICS REVIEWS ARE FALSE. Don't trust them, they all hate vita. This game is the best game I've ever played on any handheld. Amazing graphics, solid AC gameplay that I expected, and a well processed story. Resistance: BS had poor critic reviews and poor user reviews, but this time, do not trust critics. AC III: Liberation is the best handheld game since peace walker on the PSP.
  18. Oct 31, 2012
    In terms of content and core gameplay, for the most part, this is the Assassin's Creed you know and love. It's missing a few bells and whistles from the console versions but stabbing dudes is undeniably fun as always. Given its content, this game should be a 9, but its brought down by too many strange glitches, bugs, and wierd AI oddities. One time the game would not let me progress through a clearly marked door, and I had to restart the mission, wierd clipping problems are a common problem, sound effects can fail to play back, or occasionally music for that matter (actually, sound is generally not is good as it should be, although this game has a great musical score) NPC's occasionally dont render properly and pass through objects in a wierd sort of way, sometimes the circle button indicator strangely doesn't show its function. I could go on more, but im sure you get the idea. Preformance is also quite sluggish, which is a shame. Visually however, the game generally looks really nice. You may notice a couple of uglies here and there, but for the most part, its definatley one of the vita's better looking titles. It's a shame I have to take off a point because of preformance problems and glitches, but I have always found that a large part of what makes assassin's creed so enjoyable it's wonderful animations and visceral looking action, and the these problems do take away from those high points. In some ways I feel like this game was rushed to release alongside with the console AC3. I was going crazy with exitement towards this games release, and all though in some ways it is dissapointing, in many more ways its a good time. Here's to hoping they release many future passes to polish things up a tad. Oh wait, I also forgot to mention how cool some of the new weapons in this game are. They're awesome. Expand
  19. Nov 12, 2012
    Rushed out game, full of bugs its bad, had to reload 6-7 times to finish the story, the story is akwward. This game was not made in Montreal and was released early it show up. Still a good base for an AC, but disappointing.
  20. Oct 30, 2012
    I am disappointed, Is this a bad game no, but is it really a good game, i see many reviews are playing the game with rose tinted glasses, yes there are some of the great gameplay aspects of assassins creed, but there are huge problems that hurt the game, The frame rate is awful when moving around it slows down all the time and is awful to play, that almost kills the whole game, what makes it worse is that they add in forced touch controls. If you have to play it then you should wait for it to be on sale or used dont support lazy developers. Expand
  21. Feb 28, 2013
    Nice game, good start for AC on Vita.
    Graphics weren't as I expected. Story wasn't that fun. And I couldn't get much out of it. The persona idea was cool.
    I experienced slow downs many times which made the experience awful. I didn't like the protagonist Aveline.
    Multiplayer was just silly and waste of time. They allocated 5 or 4 trophies for multiplayer which was really so silly and
    boring.
    I'm overall satisfied with the game but not excited or impressed. Worst int he series actually. Given that I didn't play Bloodlines to compare it with Liberation.
  22. Oct 30, 2012
    I played the game non stop ever since it arrived (save for a few breaks) and have the story mode (although there are a tonne of side missions to do, as well as unlocking the 'real ending') - and all I have to say is wow. The first 20 or so minutes had me really worried, the graphics were poor, the gameplay felt stiff, but all that changed once the game truely opened up and stopped holding my hand. This is the true AC console experience on the handheld. I will say this much, power through the first couple of mins, it paints a sour picture of the game. The graphics become smooth and beautiful once you get further in, and the frame rate remains consistent. The gameplay is standard AC fare, which is a very good thing ! It's great how the game incorporates AC3s mechanics, keeping it up with the latest entry rather then stripping of features. There is a LOT of content in this game, and I can happily say as a huge fan of the Assassins Creed series, this is up there with its console counterparts rather then the subpar portable games. BUY THIS NOW ! Expand
  23. Nov 12, 2012
    It is a great portable option one of the best on the vita. The question is should we lower our standards just because a game is handheld....? The answer is no. That being said that is what many people are doing. I hold sony to their promise of console gaming on the go. The Graphics are blurry during cut scenes and the persona system is pretty stupid in my eyes. I thought it was going to add a layer of depth to the game which it did not it told you which ones to use when which took control out of your hands. To sum this up. Very good handheld but we need to hold these companies to higher standards. Expand
  24. Jan 12, 2013
    This is the first portable Assassins Creed game to really feel like an Assassins Creed game to me. The visuals are great, the voice acting is well done, and the atmosphere is very good. The music is good and mostly non-intrusive as well. The story is very well done as well. It fits in the the Assassins Creed 3 theme very well.

The controls are pretty easy to figure out. There is a level
    of complexity to it all, but it's not over the top, and it's pretty easy to figure out. There's a good variety of places you go to as well.

The game is far from perfect, but it is still a good game, one that is great to play through once and one that I can easily see myself playing through multiple times.
  25. Oct 30, 2012
    How awesome could a handheld game get? This awesome. AC III: Liberation is surely a buy. It has insane graphics, a slow, but well told story, and very good gameplay. A buy for anyone with a vita.
  26. Sep 10, 2013
    This game has a boring story that is hidden away from you, poor voice acting, bad sound effects, bad visuals and performance (It barley runs over 18fps), bugs are some of the issues this game faces. These developers were so lazy that they didn't even include a sound effect for the whip, the only new weapon type in the game.

I would be ok with all of this if it weren't for the tedious
    sound track, forced play as the lady persona missions and forced (And awful) puzzle mini games.

The more I want to like this game the less I do. This game was a lazy attempt at bringing the franchise to Vita. I get the feeling that they were just trying to make a mobile engine so that they can port the game to iphone if it works out.
  27. Dec 15, 2012
    I bought this game about 3 weeks ago,and i love it.Controls are just like in "big consoles".Graphics are awesome,animations are sweet.But music is quite bad,each city had each song.The game is worthy of my 9/10.
  28. Oct 30, 2012
    Awesome game, without a shred of doubt, the closest thing to a next gen home console game on any portable device. Stunning graphics, enjoyable gameplay and nice length
  29. Oct 30, 2012
    Not quite AC3 on PS3 but a darn sight closer than any of the psp assasin's creed games. A reallly good realization of the AC world filled with NPCs, bringing the setting to life. Must buy IMO
  30. Oct 31, 2012
    If you like smooth games, this isn't for you. If you wan to take my word for it you can stop here but I will elaborate for you skeptics. Yes this is a full assassin's creed game on the Vita and yes the idea alone is amazing but nearly every time you try to sink your teeth in the game shake you loose. The world of Liberation is hard to enter because of the poor graphics (And though I'm not picky about graphics these are not up to par with the vita's potential), the character is hard to relate to because of a jumpy explanation, and the gameplay is hard to be enthralled in due to a random frame rate drops and poor touch controls. I recommend this game only to the die hard fans or desperate vita owners everyone else will have a difficult time joying this. Expand
  31. Nov 5, 2012
    Alright I do not understand why this has a 71 rating, on the "official reviewers". This game is great. It's quick to jump into the action, compared to AC3 which takes quite a bit of time. The controls, aside from pickpocketing, are all great. Yes there are some glitches but this is a new engine and an open world game...they won't have all the kinks down in one day. Anywho, I really do like the idea of Abstergo making their own game and thus altering the truth as they see fit, as you will see in game. It has a good setting and a great protagonist. The deception that you have under abstergo reaches to characters you know. The persona all have their pros and cons, which is really done well, Assassin being the best fighter but having a minimum of level 1 notoriety. Slave being able to use most weapons and blend easier but accumulating notoriety faster and finally the Lady persona. She cannot free run but she gains notoriety the slowest and has an umbrella gun that poisons your enemies. It's just so much bundled up into a 40$ hand held game. The best part? It feels like a console AC game. Where as the other ones failed this one succeeds. If you like Assassin's Creed and own a vita, a rare combo, do yourself a favor and get this game. Expand
  32. Apr 13, 2013
    every aspects in this game is inferior to those in console version. heck it is not even good game in its own term. graphics are blurry gameplay is boring story is weak
    ubisoft wanted to make quick game cuz pressure from vota owners?
  33. Nov 7, 2012
    Assassin's Creed III: Liberation is the first legit handheld game in the franchise. While there were Assassin's Creed games on both PSP and DS, none of these offered the console experience in handheld form. Liberation gives you a large sandbox world to explore, along with graphics that are pretty close to the games on the big home consoles. While it may not hit the visual mark of some scenes in Assassin's Creed III, I feel the world feels more alive than some other Assassin's Creed games I've played, as the world is full of pedestrians going about their business, such as sawing wood, working on houses, fishing, etc. You can even interact with the animals. This is a world that feels lived-in. Unlike many handheld games where you feel detached because of its portable style of play, Liberation immerses you in this world. This is Liberation, you should probably buy it.

In terms of story, I really enjoyed Aveline's tale. There's a good cast of colorful characters here, many brimming with lots of charm. Aveline is a strong protagonist. She walks and acts with a certain style of confidence, even when her race is suffering under slavery, she is a strong female character that is rare in games.

As far as graphics go, this is one of Vita's best. While it looks as good as Uncharted: Golden Abyss at times, it also sometimes looks a little worse. Like most open world games, Liberation has its highs and lows, but its highs are much higher than its lows are lower, because even at its lows, the world is still brimming with exceptional detail. You want to explore this beautiful world. Liberation's graphics are definitely near the top of Vita's library, especially considering this is an open world.

Onto the gameplay, personally, I love it. I think the mechanics feel very solid and it plays beautifully on the Vita. Running around the city, climbing buildings, taking down foes, etc. all feels great.

Despite being an incredible game, it does lack some polish to take it to that next level. Like Assassin's Creed III on home consoles, Liberation also has some glitches and framerate hiccups. I've seen people walk through houses, disappear from the world right in front of me, etc. To be fair, these are pretty minor distractions at best, but I think it's worth mentioning. Onto the framerate, it's usually pretty okay, but sometimes it'll get bogged down.

If you have a Vita and want a large open world game, I'd highly recommend buying Liberation.
  34. Nov 8, 2012
    You will either love this game or merely like it, depending on what kind of gamer you are. If you enjoy exploration of rich environments, deep story-telling, and are willing to think more often than many other games require, you must play Liberation. If you found wandering the Normandy in the Mass Effect series boring, if you often skip cut scenes, or if you want constant action, there is still a great deal for you to enjoy in this game, but there are parts that will frustrate you. The story is tightly packed and is not spoon-fed to the player. It's an amazing tale, but one that requires you pay attention. Also, the persona system delivers a deep level of immersion and an experience that reinforces the narrative. In doing so, this system imposes some limitations that action-oriented gamers may find frustrating. For example, the "Lady" persona cannot climb or even move that fast, but playing as the Lady also makes you feel what it's like to "pass" as a certain type in society and what sacrifices are necessary to do so. It is a brilliant move and plays into the overarching themes of the main story. Technically, Liberation is almost perfect--I say almost because there are minor and infrequent frame rate drops, and free-run is only a hair better than ACII, which means the occasional frustration of a missed ledge or branch. Without giving away too much, I'll say that that some have mistaken a story element related to the animus as glitches in gameplay. For those who play games to deeply experience a story and who love to explore new and interesting virtual worlds, this could be your favorite game this year, console or otherwise. If you are a less cerebral and more relfex-oriented gamer, you'll still enjoy Liberation, but it will not hold the same magic. Expand
  35. Oct 30, 2012
    Great game on a handheld. Very smooth and really exciting game. There should be more games like this. Loading could be a little bit shorter but it's not a problem.
  36. Oct 30, 2012
    great game i agree with spacecowboy the load time should be little shorter but the game after 3 hours of game play i c an tell you that you must by the game right now very smooth and very good graphics and insane story ****
  37. Oct 30, 2012
    After playing all of the previous Assassin's Creed games , i must say i was pretty surprised with this one. I was pretty bored with Brotherhood and Revelations, but this one is another story. I guess mainly because its played on handheld. Graphics are superb (nearly good as first Assassin's Creed on PS3), sound and voices could be better - when im playing with headphones i can hear voices are not in highest quality , but still makes a good impression. Framerate is sometimes low when you are fighting more enemies at once , and controls may get a bit laggy and slow.Jumping from stuff to other stuff may be confusing and reaching your destination can be frustrating sometimes ,mainly in the swamps. But still i give this game an 8/10 because its pretty good in every aspect. Expand
  38. Oct 30, 2012
    It's apparent right from the first X button press Ubisoft have outdone themselves in tying Liberation to the PS3 game creating two totally different adventures with overlapping timelines. It is clear that there are more than a few similarities in both the design and gameplay. Whilst Connor deals with the Frontier, Aveline has the Bayou. Compared to the PS3 version, Aveline is pitted against fewer hostilities but she deals with them in pretty much the same vein as you fight large predators in Assassins' Creed III, mostly in quick time events. It also had an Arkham Asylum/City combat feel to it, never a bad thing. The Vita swamps provide hours of exploration with treasures aplenty and smugglers dotted around offering you gear.
    Exploring the swampland is so much fun, jumping from branch to branch, swimming stagnant waters, canoeing and wrestling crocs. Apart from the main swampy story of hunting down Acolytes there are also side missions to go at such as curing locals of an intense fever by tracking down special mushrooms.
    So far Aveline might sound a bit of a softy but she is just as agile as Connor. If it
  39. Oct 30, 2012
    liberation from first minute full of action and impressive moments i think the game deserves its price because the graphic ,the sounds and the story all work together to give us an amazing game in the palm of our hands so great work ubisoft
  40. Oct 30, 2012
    i think that the best game for a handheld is ac3 liberation every moment of the game amazing i can not stop playing this game i just want to give you my opinion this is my best game in this year for my vita
  41. Oct 30, 2012
    Fantastic game, really enjoying it , just as good as its console counterparts, the vita has come of age with this title !
    Graphics are gorgeous the story is excellent so far and the combat system brings a huge smile to your face as you hack up your foes with extreme prejudice .
    Touch screen and rear panel are used to great effect but not over used like other vita games and work to great
    effect although optional.
    I also like the way your character has three different guises (lady,slave and assassin) which enable you to play the game with three different styles, works very well !

Highly recommended if you own a Vita , if you don't ? Well, probably good enough a title to warrant buying one !

A+
  42. Oct 30, 2012
    I had some doubts about this game when I start playing it. Couple hours later my doubts were assassinated by Aveline.. with machete! And do you know what? I love it. Many may say the game has flaws. Which game doesn't. The most important thing is that I have fun playing it.
  43. Oct 30, 2012
    First off this game is playable, but that is really where these game stops. Lack of polish is readily apparent in almost every aspect of this game. From constant random spawning of AI in the environment to boring game halting missions. This attempt at an Assassin's Creed game is a husk of what made the AC series endearing. In the short Liberations gives you a great, stunning handheld world to explore, but limits your chances and opportunities to do so. Mission structure is a very large part of this. Missions are usually broken in to several key checkpoints that don't seamlessly transition between traversal from A to B, but are disjointed narrative moments that give the game an awkward stop start. This makes the experience a constant struggle to care about story, because its just an interruption to the world where moving in the world is some of the best in the series. That is if you choose the more mobile of the personas, that being the Assassin. As the Assassin you have full mobility of Aveline, and the simplicity of her movement through all environments is nice, though some "dead ends" can be frustrating. The Slave still has a decent range of movement, but her ability to stealth is limited to performing certain tasks to help blend in. Then there is the most interesting of the three, but most flawed, the Lady. This should be one of the stand out features defining this Assassin as a unique addition to the series. The game gives good reason to fall in love with the Lady, and if given more care this could have been the best part of the game. Unfortunately the Lady suffers from a lengthy travel time from mission to mission, which you can give a slight boost to by running, but traveling any faster breaks the immersion the game so desperately wants to have. In this form she will constantly be attacked by thugs that will always apply a wanted level onto the Aveline even if she escapes from combat without throwing a punch. Charming men around the street has interesting principles, but from early on was never useful even to use their manly strength to dissuade unwanted attackers, which it didn't work. Instead it is limited to missions that force the use of Charm to get to the end. Then comes the staple of the series, Exploration. The world of Liberation is frankly extraordinary, and a world that feels more alive than previous games. Traversal is easy, and the environment is laid out in such a way that feels magical when you get to moving. Long gone are the constant jumps in the wrong direction, and falling to a frustrating demise. It is not to say these are not still present just less frequent frustrations. Where the game breaks so fundamentally is that the game is constantly driving in one direction, and doesn't push Aveline through the world interestingly. Missions are generally point A to point B, back to A maybe to C, or maybe to a completely new environment. The game never feels like Aveline is driving the story, but she becomes a page turner between cut scenes. Some scenes that are completely irrelevant stops between exploring, which could have been better told while continuing play, or interaction.

While this game has the potential to be a great Assassin's Creed game, and a flagship for the Vita It doesn't make up for the lack of finesse evident throughout the game. As hard as it is to speak ill of this game Liberation does nothing to make it a stand out for the series.
  44. Nov 4, 2012
    When this game was announced, my question was "Will it sell vitas?" and the answer is sadly no. The game is good but not great, the story line is going parallel to Assassin's Creed III's whilst not being that close. They could have added more incentives for duo purchase. Also I have noticed at a few point where the frame rate would drop considerably, mostly when many enemies are chasing you which sometimes led up to Aveline dying. For the multiplayer, I was expecting something awful mostly because lots of people were disappointed on various forums but I was rather pleased with it. Being a big chess and risk fan, I really enjoyed the territory aspect although they should have added a bit more strategy to it. Expand
  45. Oct 31, 2012
    I think this game is one of the better games that's available on the PS Vita. If you like the assassin's creed series then this is the one for you! I hope the glitches and other things will be patched soon. I say a must buy for all ps vita gamers.
    Sorry for my bad English!

Greetings djwille
  46. Oct 31, 2012
    First of all, I would like to say that this game could have perfectly become a Vita's classic. It could have been THE GAME, given the scarce (and mostly poor) catalog of the vita. The thing is that I am disappointed and I will explain why:
    1 - The story the game tells, in its whole, is good, but THE WAY the game introduces it is VERY, VERY sloppy and confusing. This can be very, very
    frustrating. For example: You just started to do a side quest or other stuff in one stage and the game plot takes you to another stage without giving you the chance to stay for a while...
    2 - The graphics could be more polished. I am observing a lot of vita games suffer a lot from a poor anti aliasing and anisotropic filtering. Its early in the life of the console, but c'mon, I'm sure this kid can run faster by now... 3 - Bugs, bugs everywhere. I have experienced a lot of bugs while playing this game. Examples of some minor bugs: - People suddenly disappearing in the streets. - Loud environmental sounds, like a sweeping noise from a broom 20 metres away from the character sounding like if it was near you.
    Example of really annoying bugs: - I once entered a changing room and when the character came out again the screen went black... I had to reset the game to fix it... 4 - The sound quality of this game is very poor, and there are a lot sound glitches.

Despite this the game manages to offer some funny and interesting parts. The stages are very big and it's very cool to explore them in a handheld device in an AC way (jumping from roofs, branches, etc...). The voice acting is excellent. The AI is decent. The range of weapons and outfits is very good... Its a shame that this game was released this way... As I said it could have been an almost perfect game.
    Final score: 6.7/10
  47. Nov 2, 2012
    I would put this game in the same realm as Uncharted: Golden Abyss. The graphics aren't quite as good as Uncharted but AC3: Liberation holds its own. The game is kind of buggy at times but very fun to play. Liberation is sadly not as great as it could or should have been. My biggest gripe with this game is it almost feels linear. The city doesn't seem as lively or active as I was expecting and that take me out of the Assassin's Creed experience. Overall this game is fun and very good...I was just hoping for great. Expand
  48. Nov 2, 2012
    I haven't played much this game but I have to say this is what my PS Vita was in need of... The graphics are far superior from any other game in the portable and the controls might not suit everyone but if you are a hardcore Assassin's Creed fan, then this game won't troubles you...
  49. Nov 3, 2012
    Liberation is a good game, but did not ever completely grasp my full attention. The story seemed everywhere and the multiplayer is more like a board game. The gameplay is amazing and the graphics are very detailed. Overall Ubisoft did a good job making it. It is a must buy for fans of the series.
  50. Nov 3, 2012
    Assassin's Creed III: Liberation was such a good game.Not only on VITA,but also for a console game.It has a full open world and the same combat system as Assassin's Creed III.In the game,you can buy or upgrade a lot eqiutment,such as weapons,clothes even ships.The combat system is fantastic and Chain Kill mode is really awesome.Though Liberation is a good game,there are still some fault and bugs.Also,the multiplayer is really awful and useless.I mean,why do we need a ''mobile game like'' multiplayer?Will developers put some IAP into the game too?Sounds like a freaking nightmare!!! Expand
  51. Nov 3, 2012
    It's nice to see so many people giving user scores generously.. Very lucky and am quite surprised to see so many ps vita titles reeking of quality..
    Very impressive graphics.. Controls instantly familiar if your an assasins creed veteran..
    Sounds/voice acting up to a very high standard.. Great gameplay.. Buy it and see For yourself.. Best 39.99 I've spent on psn in a long time.. Thank
    you so much ubisoft keep up the excellent work Expand
  52. Nov 3, 2012
    over all the game was a well laid out game play was GREAT over all but what i have a problem with is the end product. it almost looks like a psp graphics with a bit of shine on them, not even as close as it should or could of been. just my two cents
  53. Nov 13, 2012
    I've picked this game along with NFS MW on vita. What comes to mind after playing an hour or so that the game has identity crisis, the story depth is quiet shallow and it has a lot of grey areas which we expect to find answers but unfortunatley most of questions will not be answered, AC games are usually come along with an engaging story. This is where Liberation has lack of work. Beside that Aveline herself is a pretty nice character. Her style, dialogues n everything she has is very impressive but then becuz we love her we want to know about her dark past eventually, but there is no background story either. its shame to see all of these lovely ideas are not very well working to make a real AC game. Beside these the gameplay is a total Assassins Creed. It has a mixture of brilliant ideas and all the cool assassins missions. sometimes it has lack of vraiety which is not very noticeable unless you arent a fan of AC series. But what bothers me a lot that this brilliant Persona content could be really brilliant !!! well the issue is through out the game you are forced to use specific personas n u dun have any choice actually. so it feels like there is no sense of freedom. this is where the gameplay is lacking depth and balance a lot. Anyway .... Vita has a huge potential ... i am assuming developers were in the rush to release the game at same time as AC3 so that they are assured of its high sales. Well performance is poor due to the unbalanced frame rate but then technically the open world of AC3 L is really alive as console version. crowded city, lovely textures and designed areas....huge perspective n good lighting .... in generall from aspect being a console game i am not dissapointed from AC3 L ... its a really good approach n start and hopefully it will be better than what it is ... from aspect being an AC"3" game ... well its still far .... Expand
  54. Nov 5, 2012
    I so much wanted to like this game, not only because I am a big AC fan (I've got a bunch of special editions and paid DLC to prove it), but also because I'm always on the lookout for nice games for my Vita. However, I'm now angry and disappointed. The dev team had some nice ideas, but managed to ruin them all, and it's so frustrating. I'm half-way through the game and so far (trying to be as spoiler-free as I can): I need to kill an enemy with a certain weapon and I manage to get the weapon into the wall by touching it with my foot=restart; I get in the water to avoid being spotted, get out of the water... but keep swimming=restart; I have to get in a boat, but in the lady dress I cannot do it= restart; I go to the changing room and get back to the boat as a slave, the targets have disappeared=restart; an enemy throws me into the water=Vita crashes; get into a hay sack=Vita crashes; one of my boats has been stuck 1m away from a port for days... And that's just some of the problems I can recall right now. Enemies coming out of nowhere, random visibility levels, stupid IA, awful controls for robbery, the fact that you cannot go for 100% sync unless you're wearing the dress you're meant to be wearing (i.e. one of the rivals, you're meant to kill him as dame, but if you're not wearing the dress right away or choose to restart you're not going to make it)... And no proper tutorials at all! I knew stuff from playing previous AC games, but I wonder how newbies manage; I'm playing multiplayer by ear, and the boats, well, I had to keep touching and touching the screen until I learned what I was meant to do. It's AC, it's a woman as main character, the settings are beautiful, so is the music, the story is interesting enough so far, so I'm not giving it a zero, but this was a huge disappointment. It would be a nice game, if only it worked! Expand
  55. Apr 25, 2013
    I totally do not understand the people rated this game under 7 8. This game was amazing! The gameplay was fun and easy to understand, with all the new weapons Aveline has compare to all the boys in the main games. Aveline was the first female character that you can control with in the AC series and carry her around whenever you go! Which made this game extra special. I love how you can change persona and blend in with people. Different persona have different abilities. People complain how the graphics and sound are really bad, but I didn't find that as a problem for me to lower the rate. Okay...maybe the sound are not that great but the game is still on a PS Vita which leads me to the next point. Graphics are surprisingly good on a PS Vita. It's not a PS4 gamers, portable devices have a limit to it. Sadly, looking at Ubisoft's situation right now, they probably will not make another game about Aveline and her story.... Expand
  56. Nov 13, 2012
    Every aspect in the game runs incredibly smooth ie. free-running, combat etc. apart from walking through the city (I found frame rate wasn't as bad outside of the main city). Beautiful open world to explore with various locations and collectibles to find. For a handheld game this is revolutionary in terms of sheer scope. I have played through twice with no bugs etc. Only thing lacking is multiplayer but who buys AC for the online? I rate 8/10 (would be 9 or 10 without frame rate issues). Expand
  57. Nov 13, 2012
    Good game, but did not like the bugs. This game was rushed. It had huge potential. It is still a great game, but it misses the perfect grade, because of the bugs and lack of polish. I hope the next Assassin's Creed game for the Vita is more polished.
  58. Dop
    Nov 13, 2012
    It has all the elements to be a 10 points success, but the constant bugs and the bland story turn off the magic. ubisoft had almost 100 years of amazing history in the colonial age, with 2 powerful empire as the british and the spanish, and even with that the protagonist feels more like a guess than a true female hero. the fps drop in the citys is a pain went u are really trying to enjoy the game. if the fix half of the bugs and fps drop is a solid 9 but for now 4.5 Expand
  59. Nov 14, 2012
    Ok, this game is great, but, the bugs i have encountered make me put down the score for this game, sometimes, the bugs make the game unplayeble. Maybe, when then patch the game, i chance my review score for this game.
  60. Nov 21, 2012
    I scored Assassin's Creed 3 an 8. This game sticks closer to the tried and true Creed game play. The glitch issues that plagues the console counterpart are absent here. You feel like you are controlling a female Ezio, not Connor and that's a good thing for me. All it's missing is the hook blade. The Vita needs more top notch entries like this one.
  61. Dec 2, 2012
    Very, very, very bad done game. When I played this, I was wondering if did I just buy a prototype beta game: extreme major bugs, very bad performance and very bad sound. The gameplay is the only factor that isn't very bad, but just bad, because it's very boring and repetitive. The game crashes on loading screens while you're on the Animus (yes, you have to re-play the game by scratch), there are invisible walls which make you go underworld and crash the game, the sound seems to be compressed, sometimes the game runs at 10FPS and most of the times it's stable at 25 FPS. Plot isn't deep and intriguing. Giving 4 to this game, is like offending other games which I gave 5 like Silent Hill Homecoming, because its real score should be "2.5", but, since the developers may not be very expert with the VITA, I decided not to give it 2. Anyway, they should have taken more time and fixing a lot of things, before releasing a beta game! (And yes, it is a beta game because there are already big patches, and a new one is coming soon, which means that they haven't test it yet) Expand
  62. Sep 1, 2013
    This is a beautiful, and fun Vita game. It dos not feel like a dumbed down version of Assassins Creed but rather another entry in the franchise. The climbing and exploring are tons of fun. Some people find the persona system gimmicky but I thought it added something fresh. I do find the fighting and cameras can be a little tricky at times and the story is somewhat weak but this feels like an Assassin's Creed game. If you want a Vita game that feels like a console game this might be for you. If you don't love the console versions of the franchise this is not going to turn you around on it. Expand
  63. Dec 24, 2012
    The graphics are great, it has nice dialogs and the game seems to be well made and taken care of. It has many negative reviews but after some patches the game fixed many bugs it had. The story mode is not so good since it lacks depth and you pretty much forget what's going on, apart from that, the city is well created and if you like the saga you know what to expect.
  64. Dec 14, 2012
    I love AC saga but this one isnt a very good game of AC..This new female assasin isnt good for that game..better if ubisoft use altair/ezio for AC episode
  65. Jan 23, 2013
    Problems, practically a lot. First you can't be Ezio or a assassin, just a stupid British guy that is nothing like a assassin. It even shown Ezio! The only good thing was a good graphics
  66. Jan 20, 2013
    Jumping straight in, Assassins Creed III liberation isn't a console port, its a different story staring Aveline, the first lady assassin. While functioning like its console brother, it still feels different. Aveline is a young woman, when she was a child her mother dissapeared, as she was took by, ermm... Okay so Aveline's life is now in the future now (as if when she was a young woman, not future 2067 stuff.) and shes in the Assassins Brotherhood after being brought in by.... some mentor. You see this is the problem, next to no backstory. You find out later in the game but still, we need more when going in. The gameplay is your normal assassins creed. Stealth here, fight there, climb there. I realize allot of recycled animations from the console counterpart. They did a good job of porting a AC game to the handheld and making it nice and open world with tons of stuff to do, just like how I wanted assassins creed for the PSP to be. I'm giving this a 8/10, you shouldnt run out and buy a vita for this, but if you have a vita, don't give this a miss. Expand
  67. Jan 28, 2013
    Firstly, I'm a huge fan of the AC series. For me though, this is the poorest and least enjoyable of all the AC's from the series. Graphically the game is good (but not amazing) but clearly due to hardware restraints within the Vita, it's just not as grand as the other games from a visual point of view (I'm not marking the game down for this). I found that the sound of the game was poor, voices sound like they've been recorded in mono or something? The story is..well...ok. Just ok. Gameplay wise I found it average..sometimes engaging sometimes boring and repetitive. i just found everything really average! What really brings the game down for me is the total lack of polish...this game was rushed rushed rushed! So so so many bugs and glitches everywhere which really frustrated me. In the end, I found that I had to push myself to finish the main story, and I have no intention of ever playing it again. To summarise, an average game at best. A 7 from me. Expand
  68. Mar 7, 2013
    hey its a great game not perfect but a great and smooth gameplay, good graphics and storyline, i dont understand why all the reviewers put low critics on goo games
  69. Mar 29, 2013
    My personal opinion on this game is very disappointing,i expected this to be amazing but no it isn't. The Graphics are very poor. The Environment is Very Poor there's just random duplicated characters wondering around doing nothing.the story is okay but not my type and last the performance isn't great and takes a while to get used to.
  70. Apr 26, 2013
    I hate when a vita games dont use the native resolution. The graphics looks so horrible. That is not fair with the player, you watch youtube videos, get crazy to buy and then....
  71. Jul 18, 2013
    Wowzer this is an incredible achievement for a handheld game. I have been a huge fan of the Assassins Creed series and I can safely say that this is a wonderful addition. However it does not go without it's faults and bugs. Pros...... + Long campaign + The visuals are beautiful and you really get a sense of scale especially when you synchronize from up above + The characters are well detailed and the movements are very realistic
    + Sound design is good especially through the headphones
    + Large maps with plenty of side missions and collectables
    + Responsive/smooth controls
    + Feels like an AC game

Cons......
    - Sparse intro/storyline
    - Annoying tilt control mini games that simply do not work well Infuriating actually
    - Pointless touch controls especially when in the canoe
    - Having to hold your Vita up to a bright light to reveal details and continue What if I am in the dark?

Final comments:
    If you can get past these small annoyances then you will have a great AC experience

8/10 Great
  72. Aug 10, 2013
    My feelings for Assassin's Creed III: Liberation are mixed. While it truly is the successor to Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines (the previous portable Assassin's Creed), it doesn't quite take full advantage of the Vita. In Liberation, you play as Aveline de Grandpré, an Assassin who resides in New Orleans. Throughout the 8-9 hour campaign, you are given an in-depth look of the life of Aveline. While the plot is occasionally interesting, it will never have you sitting at the edge of your chair in excitement. Honestly, there is too little known about Aveline to really care about her fate. The gameplay on the other hand is great. Liberation successfully brings the full Assassin's Creed experience to the Vita at practically no cost. Practically. The frame rate will drop during certain sequences, and the enemy A.I.'s stupidity can take you out of the experience at times. Those things aside, everything works great. There is eagle vision, synchronization points, and a wide arsenal of weaponry that can be widely expanded. Liberation does introduce some new mechanics, some of which can be annoying. The new "Chain Kill" feature executes a slow-motion cinematic view of Aveline killing enemies, and all you have to do is watch. There is also a new "persona" system that allows Aveline to change into three different customizable outfits, all of which possess their own special ability (e.g. the Lady persona can charm her foes, and then assassinate them). The games main story will often force you to equip a certain persona for a mission. This was annoying and unnecessary. However, when completing side quests you have to the option to equip any persona you want. This added variety and was quite enjoyable at times. On top of everything else, there are several side mission to tackle and mini games to play. After unlocking the Assassin HQ, you are given the opportunity to buy and sell goods via ships. I would prefer if this included actual ship battle sequences like in Assassin's Creed 3 on the PS3, but you cant have everything. Visually, Liberation mostly disappoints. From blurry textures, to annoying shadows covering the faces of some characters, Liberation just doesn't look as good as good as it should. Overall, Liberation excels in the gameplay department, but falls a little flat due to a boring story and mediocre visuals. Expand
  73. Sep 10, 2013
    This game does look rather good, though the framerate can be an issue a times. The story is pretty dull, and not one you are likely to remember afterwards, but if you looking for some fast paced action, and don´t care much for the storyline Assassin's Creed III: Liberation could be your pick.
  74. Sep 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. PS Vita!
    -Открытый мир
    -Девушка
    -Разнообразные костюмы
    -Это история!
    -Есть Multiplayer
    -Русские
  75. Dec 6, 2013
    All the ideas are there. The protagonist was interesting. AC is a named we expect excellence to follow. Unfortunately, this garbage is the most painful, piss poor excuse for a game in recent history. I'm angry that I bought it. There is little enjoyment to be had in the wake of the immeasurable amount of faulty programming that is this "game", and that fun is smothered by gimmicky game mechanics and a failure to harness the power of the vita's exquisite hardware. More of a chore than a recreational experience. Shallow story, made worse by the glaring capabilities of greatness that could have been. Shame on Ubisoft for allowing some half-wit development team access to the franchise that I've come to love and expect quality from. Do NOT buy this game. Expand
  76. Jan 26, 2014
    I had very high hopes for this game but it is just one big disappointment. The graphics are....ok....The story is terrible, the different persona's are annoying, the multi player might as well be a Facebook game, and it fails to deliver a true open world environment. For example, you bring up your map and set your marker to a viewpoint you have not synchronized yet and on your way to the viewpoint you run into a wall that says the area is not available. That is just one of many restrictions to this "open world". Overall the gameplay is OK, but I know ubisoft could have done a lot better with this game. Expand
  77. Feb 14, 2014
    this is the first assassins creed game I owned and I didn't think much of it the only thing I liked about it was open world on a hand held device. and why does it have multiplayer I don't know, when I am on the go I don't have time to play online
  78. Jan 23, 2014
    This game has no value at all. Worst combat system in the series, lots of bug that breaks the gameplay. I almost smash the ps vita becoz of it. Now I register as a member here just to express my feelings here, SHAME ON YOU UBISOFT!!!!
  79. Oct 30, 2012

1. Dec 18, 2012
    A match for its bigger cousins on the surface. But dig deep and liberation starts to unravel. [Jan 2013, p.80]
  2. Dec 7, 2012
    Even though the visuals suffer in their tininess, none of the basic Assassin's Creeding is compromised. This is a full-blown counterpart to Assassin's Creed 3, with its own setting, style, character, and location. Bravo, Ubisoft.
  3. It's the glitches and game-breaking annoyances that most let things down. [Christmas 2012, p.96]