7.2

1. Nov 18, 2012
    I was really impressed when I first started playing this game, but by the end, I was completely let down. I have no desire whatsoever to actually finish all the collection trophies, but unfortunately I will have to. Changing from persona to persona actually became a chore instead of a highlight and the lady persona is completely useless in my opinion. When I finished the campaign I wasI was really impressed when I first started playing this game, but by the end, I was completely let down. I have no desire whatsoever to actually finish all the collection trophies, but unfortunately I will have to. Changing from persona to persona actually became a chore instead of a highlight and the lady persona is completely useless in my opinion. When I finished the campaign I was left scratching my head wondering what had just happened. The fluidity of the game is pretty good, but the fighting actually became boring due to the lack of animation once you actually recycle the same moves over and over again. Expand
  2. Nov 10, 2012
    Liberation stands as one of the most impressive games on the Vita so far. Graphics can be a bit crispy, some textures are just unacceptable and the city is quite small, compared to the console version, but still stands as the most fun and vivid city in any open world game for the Vita. However, this is not a game for Assassin's Creed beginners. Controls feel as smooth as any other homeLiberation stands as one of the most impressive games on the Vita so far. Graphics can be a bit crispy, some textures are just unacceptable and the city is quite small, compared to the console version, but still stands as the most fun and vivid city in any open world game for the Vita. However, this is not a game for Assassin's Creed beginners. Controls feel as smooth as any other home console Assassin's Creed game and by that I mean the most clumsy and complicated controls in any third person action game. There's no background story and you're thrown straight into action, which can be pretty hard to understand. The manual lacks intructions and in-game tutorials are hardly helpful. For instance, some touch controls are just not explained at all and I had to learn how to counter in internet forums. What may break the game even more for some is the huge number of glitches. Every open world has them, sure, but Liberation takes it to a whole new level with save corrupting bugs. Hopefully Ubisoft will take care of it soon.

Although it has some rough edges and it could have been a longer and more comprehensive installment in the series, Assassin's Creed III: Liberation is able to be the very first true Assassin's Creed experience on a handheld console. For AC fans, it's definitely the right time to pick the console.
  3. Nov 12, 2012
    It is a great portable option one of the best on the vita. The question is should we lower our standards just because a game is handheld....? The answer is no. That being said that is what many people are doing. I hold sony to their promise of console gaming on the go. The Graphics are blurry during cut scenes and the persona system is pretty stupid in my eyes. I thought it was going toIt is a great portable option one of the best on the vita. The question is should we lower our standards just because a game is handheld....? The answer is no. That being said that is what many people are doing. I hold sony to their promise of console gaming on the go. The Graphics are blurry during cut scenes and the persona system is pretty stupid in my eyes. I thought it was going to add a layer of depth to the game which it did not it told you which ones to use when which took control out of your hands. To sum this up. Very good handheld but we need to hold these companies to higher standards. Expand
  4. Nov 2, 2012
    I would put this game in the same realm as Uncharted: Golden Abyss. The graphics aren't quite as good as Uncharted but AC3: Liberation holds its own. The game is kind of buggy at times but very fun to play. Liberation is sadly not as great as it could or should have been. My biggest gripe with this game is it almost feels linear. The city doesn't seem as lively or active as I was expectingI would put this game in the same realm as Uncharted: Golden Abyss. The graphics aren't quite as good as Uncharted but AC3: Liberation holds its own. The game is kind of buggy at times but very fun to play. Liberation is sadly not as great as it could or should have been. My biggest gripe with this game is it almost feels linear. The city doesn't seem as lively or active as I was expecting and that take me out of the Assassin's Creed experience. Overall this game is fun and very good...I was just hoping for great. Expand
  5. Nov 3, 2012
    Liberation is a good game, but did not ever completely grasp my full attention. The story seemed everywhere and the multiplayer is more like a board game. The gameplay is amazing and the graphics are very detailed. Overall Ubisoft did a good job making it. It is a must buy for fans of the series.
  6. Nov 14, 2012
    Ok, this game is great, but, the bugs i have encountered make me put down the score for this game, sometimes, the bugs make the game unplayeble. Maybe, when then patch the game, i chance my review score for this game.
  7. Jan 28, 2013
    Firstly, I'm a huge fan of the AC series. For me though, this is the poorest and least enjoyable of all the AC's from the series. Graphically the game is good (but not amazing) but clearly due to hardware restraints within the Vita, it's just not as grand as the other games from a visual point of view (I'm not marking the game down for this). I found that the sound of the game was poor,Firstly, I'm a huge fan of the AC series. For me though, this is the poorest and least enjoyable of all the AC's from the series. Graphically the game is good (but not amazing) but clearly due to hardware restraints within the Vita, it's just not as grand as the other games from a visual point of view (I'm not marking the game down for this). I found that the sound of the game was poor, voices sound like they've been recorded in mono or something? The story is..well...ok. Just ok. Gameplay wise I found it average..sometimes engaging sometimes boring and repetitive. i just found everything really average! What really brings the game down for me is the total lack of polish...this game was rushed rushed rushed! So so so many bugs and glitches everywhere which really frustrated me. In the end, I found that I had to push myself to finish the main story, and I have no intention of ever playing it again. To summarise, an average game at best. A 7 from me. Expand
  8. Aug 10, 2013
    My feelings for Assassin's Creed III: Liberation are mixed. While it truly is the successor to Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines (the previous portable Assassin's Creed), it doesn't quite take full advantage of the Vita. In Liberation, you play as Aveline de Grandpré, an Assassin who resides in New Orleans. Throughout the 8-9 hour campaign, you are given an in-depth look of the life of Aveline.My feelings for Assassin's Creed III: Liberation are mixed. While it truly is the successor to Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines (the previous portable Assassin's Creed), it doesn't quite take full advantage of the Vita. In Liberation, you play as Aveline de Grandpré, an Assassin who resides in New Orleans. Throughout the 8-9 hour campaign, you are given an in-depth look of the life of Aveline. While the plot is occasionally interesting, it will never have you sitting at the edge of your chair in excitement. Honestly, there is too little known about Aveline to really care about her fate. The gameplay on the other hand is great. Liberation successfully brings the full Assassin's Creed experience to the Vita at practically no cost. Practically. The frame rate will drop during certain sequences, and the enemy A.I.'s stupidity can take you out of the experience at times. Those things aside, everything works great. There is eagle vision, synchronization points, and a wide arsenal of weaponry that can be widely expanded. Liberation does introduce some new mechanics, some of which can be annoying. The new "Chain Kill" feature executes a slow-motion cinematic view of Aveline killing enemies, and all you have to do is watch. There is also a new "persona" system that allows Aveline to change into three different customizable outfits, all of which possess their own special ability (e.g. the Lady persona can charm her foes, and then assassinate them). The games main story will often force you to equip a certain persona for a mission. This was annoying and unnecessary. However, when completing side quests you have to the option to equip any persona you want. This added variety and was quite enjoyable at times. On top of everything else, there are several side mission to tackle and mini games to play. After unlocking the Assassin HQ, you are given the opportunity to buy and sell goods via ships. I would prefer if this included actual ship battle sequences like in Assassin's Creed 3 on the PS3, but you cant have everything. Visually, Liberation mostly disappoints. From blurry textures, to annoying shadows covering the faces of some characters, Liberation just doesn't look as good as good as it should. Overall, Liberation excels in the gameplay department, but falls a little flat due to a boring story and mediocre visuals. Expand
  9. Sep 10, 2013
    This game does look rather good, though the framerate can be an issue a times. The story is pretty dull, and not one you are likely to remember afterwards, but if you looking for some fast paced action, and don´t care much for the storyline Assassin's Creed III: Liberation could be your pick.
  10. Apr 30, 2015
    Even though the visuals suffer in their tininess, none of the basic Assassin's Creeding is compromised. This is a full-blown counterpart to Assassin's Creed 3, with its own setting, style, character, and location. Bravo, Ubisoft.
  11. Apr 7, 2013
    This feels less like a AC game, and more like an entire game of quicktime events. There is little to no actual skill required, simply run along the provided paths (which includes jumping from tree to tree), tap repeatedly for combat, then it's on to the next cutscene, rinse-repeat. There is little 'fun' in 'playing' this game, as you are guided so directly down the path to your nextThis feels less like a AC game, and more like an entire game of quicktime events. There is little to no actual skill required, simply run along the provided paths (which includes jumping from tree to tree), tap repeatedly for combat, then it's on to the next cutscene, rinse-repeat. There is little 'fun' in 'playing' this game, as you are guided so directly down the path to your next objective. Other AC games feel like an open world, but here there's little reason to waver from your objective, and doing so just gets you lost in the jungle.

Thoroughly disappointing experience!
  12. Nov 12, 2012
    Rushed out game, full of bugs its bad, had to reload 6-7 times to finish the story, the story is akwward. This game was not made in Montreal and was released early it show up. Still a good base for an AC, but disappointing.
  13. Oct 31, 2012
    First of all, I would like to say that this game could have perfectly become a Vita's classic. It could have been THE GAME, given the scarce (and mostly poor) catalog of the vita. The thing is that I am disappointed and I will explain why:
    1 - The story the game tells, in its whole, is good, but THE WAY the game introduces it is VERY, VERY sloppy and confusing. This can be very, very frustrating. For example: You just started to do a side quest or other stuff in one stage and the game plot takes you to another stage without giving you the chance to stay for a while...
    2 - The graphics could be more polished. I am observing a lot of vita games suffer a lot from a poor anti aliasing and anisotropic filtering. Its early in the life of the console, but c'mon, I'm sure this kid can run faster by now... 3 - Bugs, bugs everywhere. I have experienced a lot of bugs while playing this game. Examples of some minor bugs: - People suddenly disappearing in the streets. - Loud environmental sounds, like a sweeping noise from a broom 20 metres away from the character sounding like if it was near you.
    Example of really annoying bugs: - I once entered a changing room and when the character came out again the screen went black... I had to reset the game to fix it... 4 - The sound quality of this game is very poor, and there are a lot sound glitches.

Despite this the game manages to offer some funny and interesting parts. The stages are very big and it's very cool to explore them in a handheld device in an AC way (jumping from roofs, branches, etc...). The voice acting is excellent. The AI is decent. The range of weapons and outfits is very good... Its a shame that this game was released this way... As I said it could have been an almost perfect game.
    Final score: 6.7/10
  14. Nov 3, 2012
    over all the game was a well laid out game play was GREAT over all but what i have a problem with is the end product. it almost looks like a psp graphics with a bit of shine on them, not even as close as it should or could of been. just my two cents
  15. Dec 14, 2012
    I love AC saga but this one isnt a very good game of AC..This new female assasin isnt good for that game..better if ubisoft use altair/ezio for AC episode
  16. Dec 10, 2012
    I'm no fan of the Assassin's Creed series and the reasons are many, and one of these is the repetitive gameplay. I liked how the second tried to make it more varied and, all in all, it's NOT a bad series and actually it's one of the most engaging series ever. However, this is NOT a good game at all. First off, I liked how there's a female character for the first very time and I liked howI'm no fan of the Assassin's Creed series and the reasons are many, and one of these is the repetitive gameplay. I liked how the second tried to make it more varied and, all in all, it's NOT a bad series and actually it's one of the most engaging series ever. However, this is NOT a good game at all. First off, I liked how there's a female character for the first very time and I liked how they tried to use this as an advantage by switching the clothes...but the female character really is bland and she seems more like a puppet in our hands than a true heroine: I never felt her more than an avatar and that's really sad because it had potential, a lot of it. The clothes aren't well implemented as well: they change how you contact the people and, basically, your weapons sets (the lady is usually out of sight and her main weapon is the umbrella blowgun; the slave will be marked the more she acts weird and can't use guns and longswords; and the assassin is basically avoided if you don't want nuisances and can use guns also). But here's the big problem: you always have to change them manually for missions that require different sets, which can be a big problem if you didn't know that before hand (the biggest example was a mission where you had to reach a ship in 1:30 minutes, and I was using the lady dress in that moment). These are the small details however, because the big slap in the face are the missions themselves (even main missions)....and holy hell they are BAD. I'll be honest: I liked how they wanted to make the missions more challenging by adding an extra objective (like reaching point X in less time, kill with specific weapons, and so forth), and surely adds variety to a series who hardly had any....but the objectives are completely cheap! The requests for those extra objectives are completely stupid, because they make missions harder than they should be (biggest examples here are the missions where you have to kill a certain target...they'll make it stupidly harder by asking you to kill them in the most weird ways imaginable). And even if you don't do the extra objectives, here comes another big flaw: the game is glitchy and doesn't fit the clothes system. For instance, if a mission tells you to not be seen, and you get spotted by THIEVES, the mission is over. If a mission asks you stalk someone, you can choose which clothes to use...too bad you will fail the mission if you run away, and so you're forced to accept the mission in the right clothes. Sometimes missions aren't very clear and you will easily fail due to some misleading instructions. Also, the puzzles that uses the Vita features are very badly implemented and sometimes they don't work as they should (the letter opening wasn't working; the light trick works randomly; the pickpocket sometimes won't register my movements). The only good thing is the touch screen which works fine and actually better than I thought, but that's really it. More bugs also keep coming up and so far I don't think there were any patch to fix them up yet. Ah and yes, for a Vita game, is very strong and very good looking, even if there are slowdowns now and then...but good graphics never make a good game to me. All in all, I really didn't enjoy this game a single bit. For fans of the series, it's a good addition and they'll probably ignore most of the flaws, but for anyone else, just look for something else... Expand
  17. Feb 28, 2013
    Nice game, good start for AC on Vita.
    Graphics weren't as I expected. Story wasn't that fun. And I couldn't get much out of it. The persona idea was cool.
    I experienced slow downs many times which made the experience awful. I didn't like the protagonist Aveline. Multiplayer was just silly and waste of time. They allocated 5 or 4 trophies for multiplayer which was really so silly and
    Nice game, good start for AC on Vita.
    Multiplayer was just silly and waste of time. They allocated 5 or 4 trophies for multiplayer which was really so silly and boring.
    I'm overall satisfied with the game but not excited or impressed. Worst int he series actually. Given that I didn't play Bloodlines to compare it with Liberation.
  18. Oct 31, 2012
    If you like smooth games, this isn't for you. If you wan to take my word for it you can stop here but I will elaborate for you skeptics. Yes this is a full assassin's creed game on the Vita and yes the idea alone is amazing but nearly every time you try to sink your teeth in the game shake you loose. The world of Liberation is hard to enter because of the poor graphics (And though I'm notIf you like smooth games, this isn't for you. If you wan to take my word for it you can stop here but I will elaborate for you skeptics. Yes this is a full assassin's creed game on the Vita and yes the idea alone is amazing but nearly every time you try to sink your teeth in the game shake you loose. The world of Liberation is hard to enter because of the poor graphics (And though I'm not picky about graphics these are not up to par with the vita's potential), the character is hard to relate to because of a jumpy explanation, and the gameplay is hard to be enthralled in due to a random frame rate drops and poor touch controls. I recommend this game only to the die hard fans or desperate vita owners everyone else will have a difficult time joying this. Expand
  19. Oct 30, 2012
    First off this game is playable, but that is really where these game stops. Lack of polish is readily apparent in almost every aspect of this game. From constant random spawning of AI in the environment to boring game halting missions. This attempt at an Assassin's Creed game is a husk of what made the AC series endearing. In the short Liberations gives you a great, stunning handheldFirst off this game is playable, but that is really where these game stops. Lack of polish is readily apparent in almost every aspect of this game. From constant random spawning of AI in the environment to boring game halting missions. This attempt at an Assassin's Creed game is a husk of what made the AC series endearing. In the short Liberations gives you a great, stunning handheld world to explore, but limits your chances and opportunities to do so. Mission structure is a very large part of this. Missions are usually broken in to several key checkpoints that don't seamlessly transition between traversal from A to B, but are disjointed narrative moments that give the game an awkward stop start. This makes the experience a constant struggle to care about story, because its just an interruption to the world where moving in the world is some of the best in the series. That is if you choose the more mobile of the personas, that being the Assassin. As the Assassin you have full mobility of Aveline, and the simplicity of her movement through all environments is nice, though some "dead ends" can be frustrating. The Slave still has a decent range of movement, but her ability to stealth is limited to performing certain tasks to help blend in. Then there is the most interesting of the three, but most flawed, the Lady. This should be one of the stand out features defining this Assassin as a unique addition to the series. The game gives good reason to fall in love with the Lady, and if given more care this could have been the best part of the game. Unfortunately the Lady suffers from a lengthy travel time from mission to mission, which you can give a slight boost to by running, but traveling any faster breaks the immersion the game so desperately wants to have. In this form she will constantly be attacked by thugs that will always apply a wanted level onto the Aveline even if she escapes from combat without throwing a punch. Charming men around the street has interesting principles, but from early on was never useful even to use their manly strength to dissuade unwanted attackers, which it didn't work. Instead it is limited to missions that force the use of Charm to get to the end. Then comes the staple of the series, Exploration. The world of Liberation is frankly extraordinary, and a world that feels more alive than previous games. Traversal is easy, and the environment is laid out in such a way that feels magical when you get to moving. Long gone are the constant jumps in the wrong direction, and falling to a frustrating demise. It is not to say these are not still present just less frequent frustrations. Where the game breaks so fundamentally is that the game is constantly driving in one direction, and doesn't push Aveline through the world interestingly. Missions are generally point A to point B, back to A maybe to C, or maybe to a completely new environment. The game never feels like Aveline is driving the story, but she becomes a page turner between cut scenes. Some scenes that are completely irrelevant stops between exploring, which could have been better told while continuing play, or interaction.

While this game has the potential to be a great Assassin's Creed game, and a flagship for the Vita It doesn't make up for the lack of finesse evident throughout the game. As hard as it is to speak ill of this game Liberation does nothing to make it a stand out for the series.
  20. Dop
    Nov 13, 2012
    It has all the elements to be a 10 points success, but the constant bugs and the bland story turn off the magic. ubisoft had almost 100 years of amazing history in the colonial age, with 2 powerful empire as the british and the spanish, and even with that the protagonist feels more like a guess than a true female hero. the fps drop in the citys is a pain went u are really trying to enjoyIt has all the elements to be a 10 points success, but the constant bugs and the bland story turn off the magic. ubisoft had almost 100 years of amazing history in the colonial age, with 2 powerful empire as the british and the spanish, and even with that the protagonist feels more like a guess than a true female hero. the fps drop in the citys is a pain went u are really trying to enjoy the game. if the fix half of the bugs and fps drop is a solid 9 but for now 4.5 Expand
  21. Jan 23, 2013
    Problems, practically a lot. First you can't be Ezio or a assassin, just a stupid British guy that is nothing like a assassin. It even shown Ezio! The only good thing was a good graphics
  22. Jan 26, 2014
    I had very high hopes for this game but it is just one big disappointment. The graphics are....ok....The story is terrible, the different persona's are annoying, the multi player might as well be a Facebook game, and it fails to deliver a true open world environment. For example, you bring up your map and set your marker to a viewpoint you have not synchronized yet and on your way to theI had very high hopes for this game but it is just one big disappointment. The graphics are....ok....The story is terrible, the different persona's are annoying, the multi player might as well be a Facebook game, and it fails to deliver a true open world environment. For example, you bring up your map and set your marker to a viewpoint you have not synchronized yet and on your way to the viewpoint you run into a wall that says the area is not available. That is just one of many restrictions to this "open world". Overall the gameplay is OK, but I know ubisoft could have done a lot better with this game. Expand
  23. Feb 14, 2014
    this is the first assassins creed game I owned and I didn't think much of it the only thing I liked about it was open world on a hand held device. and why does it have multiplayer I don't know, when I am on the go I don't have time to play online
  24. Oct 30, 2012
    It's apparent right from the first X button press Ubisoft have outdone themselves in tying Liberation to the PS3 game creating two totally different adventures with overlapping timelines. It is clear that there are more than a few similarities in both the design and gameplay. Whilst Connor deals with the Frontier, Aveline has the Bayou. Compared to the PS3 version, Aveline is pittedIt's apparent right from the first X button press Ubisoft have outdone themselves in tying Liberation to the PS3 game creating two totally different adventures with overlapping timelines. It is clear that there are more than a few similarities in both the design and gameplay. Whilst Connor deals with the Frontier, Aveline has the Bayou. Compared to the PS3 version, Aveline is pitted against fewer hostilities but she deals with them in pretty much the same vein as you fight large predators in Assassins' Creed III, mostly in quick time events. It also had an Arkham Asylum/City combat feel to it, never a bad thing. The Vita swamps provide hours of exploration with treasures aplenty and smugglers dotted around offering you gear.
    Exploring the swampland is so much fun, jumping from branch to branch, swimming stagnant waters, canoeing and wrestling crocs. Apart from the main swampy story of hunting down Acolytes there are also side missions to go at such as curing locals of an intense fever by tracking down special mushrooms.
    So far Aveline might sound a bit of a softy but she is just as agile as Connor. If it

1. Games Master UK
    Dec 18, 2012
    A match for its bigger cousins on the surface. But dig deep and liberation starts to unravel. [Jan 2013, p.80]
  2. Dec 7, 2012
  3. Playstation Official Magazine UK
    Dec 5, 2012
    It's the glitches and game-breaking annoyances that most let things down. [Christmas 2012, p.96]