6.8

1. Oct 30, 2013
    Arkham Origins is a fresh take on Arkham Asylum universe, and it successfully translates the console game world into a handheld experience.

PRESENTAION: I've played it on Vita, and the graphics and textures are solid. Voice acting is strong, and despite many critics I found the plot decent enough to keep me interested throughout the game. The drawn cutscenes are beautiful on Vitas

PRESENTAION:
    I've played it on Vita, and the graphics and textures are solid. Voice acting is strong, and despite many critics I found the plot decent enough to keep me interested throughout the game. The drawn cutscenes are beautiful on Vitas screen and add personality to the handheld version

GAMEPLAY:
    Fighting is lots of fun, with some depht to it even though they are usually not very challenging. Gameplay wise, I guess the biggest critic the game is receiving is about exploration.

Yes, navigating in a 2,5 map with a 3D map requires some getting used to, but gamers are smart and they figure it out. The pace of the navigation is slower due to its complexity (comparing to, say, Metroid), but I like it like that. I think its more fitting to Batman Universe.

THE NAVIGATION ISSUE
    The requirement to constantly use Detective Mode can be confusing at times, but I'd say the same about the console Batman games (specially Arkham City). Being a fan of the series, for me its more a characteristic of Arkham games than a problem of the handheld version.

Detective mode requirement comes down to taste. I like to know that the prison is full of secrets, but it might have been better to keep this necessity out of the main path (sometimes you won't progress in the game unless you are thorough and detect well hidden passages).

CONCLUSION:
    I had lots of fun with the game: advancing trough the environment while discovering new gadgets made it one of those games that its hard to put down.

The game could benefit from a streamlined navigation system, but overall it is the kind of experience that I expect to find more on Vita rather than ports.

I give it a 8 out of 10.
  2. Oct 30, 2013
    I have to say, I really like this game. It's fun to play and the fighting and movement mechanics work very well on the Vita. Graphics are very good, especially given that this is running on a handheld platform, and I find the story to be well done and interesting. The game runs well and is stable. There is definitely replay value in the game and you'll get many hours of playtime as youI have to say, I really like this game. It's fun to play and the fighting and movement mechanics work very well on the Vita. Graphics are very good, especially given that this is running on a handheld platform, and I find the story to be well done and interesting. The game runs well and is stable. There is definitely replay value in the game and you'll get many hours of playtime as you move around the prison finding objects, gathering collectibles and upgrades, etc.

Not really sure why so many of the industry critics gave the game average scores, but perhaps they were spending too much time focusing on what the game isn't rather than what it is. I'd personally recommend the game to any Arkham fan with a Vita.
  3. Oct 25, 2013
    Batman Arkham Origins Blackgate is the continue of the console version. Blackgate is a 2.5D game (2D plan with 3D elements). Also, Blackgate is working to be a compelling portable experience. The game lasts 10 hours with the villains be taken from the console version, it introduces two characters who are familiar to us from Arkham City, Solomon Grandy and Catwoman and one totally new twoBatman Arkham Origins Blackgate is the continue of the console version. Blackgate is a 2.5D game (2D plan with 3D elements). Also, Blackgate is working to be a compelling portable experience. The game lasts 10 hours with the villains be taken from the console version, it introduces two characters who are familiar to us from Arkham City, Solomon Grandy and Catwoman and one totally new two Arkhamverse, Bronze Tiger.
    The game is an "exploration" game (along with action/stealth game), so Batman escapes from the main path until he find the gadget that he need to proceed. At this point, I have to say that it isn't understandable how he went in Blackgate without gadgets(except from Batarang), I assume that the developers made it that way to add more gameplay hours and more exploration hours!
    In exploration part can't miss the Detective Mode, which is a basic part of the game. With Detective Mode you can see enemies, vantage points, find hidden things, armor, Wayne Tech crates among other things. In general, you do the two-thirds with Detective Mode!
    The gameplay of the game is solid, with all features of the console's version. Free flow combat adjusted very well in Blackgate, with minor problems. The combat system works like this: Two planes, the one you fight and the other that can only the enemies use, with the enemies coming from the background to the foreground. Furthermore, the silent takedown have been adapted in limited grade and the takedowns sometimes can't be so stealthy, as you can in rest Arkham games. The whole animation system look and work like charm.
    The game yet has graphic novel cinematic which partly it's proper for handheld, but on the other hand, the connection between cutscenes and gameplay isn't the best. Another pro for the game is the great voice acting. The decoration, the enviroments and the game assets that been used, look poor and blur.
    To conclude, the Batman Arkham Origins Blackgate hold the sense of the successful Arkham series. I think that the game isn't what exactly PSV deserve, but everything need a chance and a point to start (I really want to see next year/or a year after, a way better Batman game than Blackgate.)
    I score it with 7.5 It's a realy pretty good effort
  4. Dec 17, 2013
    Im sorry, but this game is being hated on for absolutely no reason. its a pretty game, it has innovative and interesting gameplay and to top it all... it is on a handheld!!! cmon guys... the vita has been suffering from mediocre reviews from critics that are totally not befitting with games that have been groundbreaking... i.e. killzone mercenaries and Uncharted Golden Compass.... I thinkIm sorry, but this game is being hated on for absolutely no reason. its a pretty game, it has innovative and interesting gameplay and to top it all... it is on a handheld!!! cmon guys... the vita has been suffering from mediocre reviews from critics that are totally not befitting with games that have been groundbreaking... i.e. killzone mercenaries and Uncharted Golden Compass.... I think we can all agree that the critics seem to be swayed by each other's reviews because they themselves have not played the games or know very little of gaming. Expand
  5. Jun 4, 2014
    I really really like this game. You feel like the Dark Knight in the palm of your hands. Good fighting, good exploration and some great gadget's make for some excellent fun to be had. Boss are brilliant as well.
  6. Dec 25, 2013
    I just recently got this for Christmas and at first I wasn't too sure, but after awhile you can see why the user reviews are pretty high! But let me start off by saying...
    - It isn't amazing
    - It isn't revolutionary - ...and it isn't a major leap from its downgraded 3ds sister + ...but it is good, really good. When you first start off its very closed, you don't get a good feel of it,
    - It isn't amazing
    - It isn't revolutionary
    - ...and it isn't a major leap from its downgraded 3ds sister
    + ...but it is good, really good.
    When you first start off its very closed, you don't get a good feel of it, but the more you progress the more it goes to show how well of a game it is.
    + The boss fights are really well done and they do progressively get more challenging and even the easiest is fun.
    + The side scrolling works especially for a batman, surprisingly.
    + The touchscreen controls feel right (and if you get stuck remember it can help).
    + The story is interesting enough, enough to were I sometimes laughed and kept going that little bit extra.
    + The map is separated into 3 main locations, unlocking gadgets in each one and revisiting each occasionally to progress through the story or to find a hidden unlockables, while not feeling to "backtracky" and giving a sense of openness and choice.
    + Enemies don't respawn.
    + Its fun.
    Overall the game is worth an 8 in my eyes, I'm really enjoying it and I'm glad I got it for Christmas hope this helps!
  7. Nov 23, 2013
    The game has the same environment of previous games, weapons and equipment are also. The detective mode makes you attentive to every room she enters, looking for clues to the extra cases. Fights are in the same style of the previous games, with attack and counter attack. The graphics are beautiful and fluid, just think maybe they have insured the quality a bit for doing with the 3DSThe game has the same environment of previous games, weapons and equipment are also. The detective mode makes you attentive to every room she enters, looking for clues to the extra cases. Fights are in the same style of the previous games, with attack and counter attack. The graphics are beautiful and fluid, just think maybe they have insured the quality a bit for doing with the 3DS version which is much lower. Expand
  8. Feb 11, 2014
    After spending some time with this game, I feel like it was definitely worth the pickup. I am not too crazy about the console arkham games. They look and play well, but Don't seem to hold my attention. This version is great as it has similar combat and stealth, but uses a 2D platforming element instead of the 3D open world. I find myself hooked to the beautiful comic book style art in theAfter spending some time with this game, I feel like it was definitely worth the pickup. I am not too crazy about the console arkham games. They look and play well, but Don't seem to hold my attention. This version is great as it has similar combat and stealth, but uses a 2D platforming element instead of the 3D open world. I find myself hooked to the beautiful comic book style art in the storyline, as well as the sharp graphics on the vita's screen. Judging this game purely as it's own, and not against the console version, I feel like the developers did a fantastic job creating a portable friendly batman game. The same high quality that the other batman games possess I feel is here as well. Expand
  9. Nov 10, 2013
    I liked this game on the Vita, though I am still waiting for console-level games. If Borderlands 2 is in the works for the Vita, then why not the full Arkham Origins for the Vita? Anyway, that being said, I enjoyed the similar combat style to Blackgate's console counterpart. My favorite weapon is the gel launcher, which I thought was a great addition considering the level designs inI liked this game on the Vita, though I am still waiting for console-level games. If Borderlands 2 is in the works for the Vita, then why not the full Arkham Origins for the Vita? Anyway, that being said, I enjoyed the similar combat style to Blackgate's console counterpart. My favorite weapon is the gel launcher, which I thought was a great addition considering the level designs in Blackgate. It's also great fun to snag ammo packs off the backs of enemies. The boss battles are puzzling and challenging, and I love Catwoman's playful banter. Following the map was a bit of a setback for me, presenting frustrating moments frequently. All in all, however, I enjoyed the game, and it's a lot of bang for your handheld buck at about 10 hrs. to complete the campaign. Expand
  10. Dec 18, 2013
    I think most negative reviews are distorted because they expected a near port of the original arkham series. This is a diferent game, with points of contacts but with interesting turning points that make it something special. More focused on the exploration and stealth. You must solve more puzzles and find your way out out in an entangled prision maze. The 2,5 d perspective with ocassionalI think most negative reviews are distorted because they expected a near port of the original arkham series. This is a diferent game, with points of contacts but with interesting turning points that make it something special. More focused on the exploration and stealth. You must solve more puzzles and find your way out out in an entangled prision maze. The 2,5 d perspective with ocassional change to 3d is pretty original. The boss fightings are superlative. The only way to broke down the ones as Grundy or deadeye is more with brain and strategy than with the usual punch and beat. My only criticism is the lack of clearer hints. Sometimes you really get lost and dond know exactly how to follow up and you end searching in a walkthrough. More comprehensive in game hints are needed. In the other part i really prefer this over the last big brother Arkham Origins for PS3 and PC. That was a mere repetition of asylum and arkham city. Armature found a way out to make something strongly bond to the series and pretty refreshing. Kudos for them Expand

1. Feb 25, 2014
    Not quite up to the standard of the console versions of Batman: Arkham Origins, but not a bad game on its own.
  2. Feb 10, 2014
    While Armature definitely made a few bad calls when putting Blackgate together, I greatly enjoyed this new style of Batman, and didn't have too much heartburn over the rough patches.
  3. Jan 7, 2014
    Batman: Arkham Origins - Blackgate isn't a bad game, but it's a lesser game. It tries extremely hard to mimic its console brethren, but all it does is highlight everything it's missing.