Borderlands 2 PlayStation Vita

7.7

1. Sep 9, 2014
    Sure, this game is not as good has the PS3, Xbox or PC version but still, it's one of the best FPS for the portable. Some frame drops, annoying bugs and texture fails can be ignored because this game is still really playable and you can have a lot of fun were you're not at home and you only have access to your Vita or if you don't have the game for the other platforms.
  2. Sep 9, 2016
    I have heard so many great things about this game, and being completely new to the franchise, I decided to get the vita port considering the vita is all I have. I was fully aware of consumers complaints about the game, and I wanted to find out if it was true, or just overreaction. After playing it for some time, it was a very good game, and my only complaint is the frame rate, the thingI have heard so many great things about this game, and being completely new to the franchise, I decided to get the vita port considering the vita is all I have. I was fully aware of consumers complaints about the game, and I wanted to find out if it was true, or just overreaction. After playing it for some time, it was a very good game, and my only complaint is the frame rate, the thing that determines whether the game is even playable or not, and frankly bl2 on vita is right on the verge of unplayable. But, all the console content is there, and its the entire borderlands 2 game! Overall, not bad but certainly not fantastic Expand
  3. May 16, 2014
    I have been pretty pumped for this game for some time. I heard about rough first drafts but I remained optimistic. I scoured the internet for reviews after the release of the early edition ( I had to wait) I was pretty worried when I saw IGN's review but then I noticed that the Metacritic critic reviews were all over the place it sounded like they were playing different games. I took heartI have been pretty pumped for this game for some time. I heard about rough first drafts but I remained optimistic. I scoured the internet for reviews after the release of the early edition ( I had to wait) I was pretty worried when I saw IGN's review but then I noticed that the Metacritic critic reviews were all over the place it sounded like they were playing different games. I took heart that most of the user reviews were positive. (actually there wasn't a single negative review until the critics started trashing it.) I've been playing it a few days and I'm happy with it. The visuals aren't as crisp and the controls aren't quite as tight as console play but since it is not being played on a console it's hard to hold that against it. One of the big complaints are about the use of the screen and touch pad which I have found to be a non issue, maybe because I'm used to using them on the Vita also I have trigger grips (which I would highly recommend to anyone) and they make accidental swipes less frequent. the sound and gameplay are the same fun I loved from the consoles. If you are on the fence at all pick this game up it's tons of fun and they tossed in lots of DLC. I only wish I had a PS3 so I could cross play. Expand
  4. May 12, 2014
    despite some flaws this is a really good port. it comes with several dlc packs, including both dlc characters. there is some frame rate drop, but not often. the graphics are ok, but can't really compare to the consoles or pc version. the controls can be remapped however you want, and controls very well. the only other negative is that co-op is restricted to only one other person .
  5. May 12, 2014
    Fantastic port of Borderlands. Who could expect better from a mobile version that is the full console version? Graphics are great, controls function much better than I expected, and there is a ton of content to chew through. I encourage any Vita owner to get this great game.
  6. Sep 3, 2014
    Amazing that this game is on the Vita, and it looks great. It's very fun to play, has a LOT of content included, but the only downside I found was the inconsistent frame rate. It may suddenly dip in certain scenarios, which can get a bit annoying but it doesn't take away from the overall great experience of the game. Recommended!
  7. May 25, 2015
    Pros:
    Amount of guns
    Characters
    Abilities

Cons:
    Frame rate is usually in the 20s
    You do not get guns better than your current ones as often as the first game
    The affinity experience points with guns mechanic is non-existent in this game
  8. May 15, 2014
    ONLY UNDER EXTREME CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD A GAME GET BELOW A 3. My god these **** idiots giving this game 0 and 1 because of some moderate performance issues piss me off. ET from the Atari deserves a 1 or a 2. Not this port of a great game.

My score is a 10 to balance out the undeserved low scores. This game deserves a solid 7 or 8. There are framerate problems, most notable in sanctuary. Luckily you will never need the frame speed high in a safe zone such as Sanctuary. The menus could be a little more responsive. Many people seem to forget that these problems also exist on consoles, although to a lesser degree.

Other than that, I have no complaints. The controls were weird at first, but I got used to them after an hour or two, and now I'm finding it very easy to headshot and melee to my heart's content. I didn't even switch from the default scheme, either. The visuals look stunning. It is hard to even notice any downgrades, besides the initial texture loading (but that was prominent on the other versions as well). Most importantly, ALL the content of the other versions is here, plus some dlc for free.

This is the worst version of the game. That being said, it is also portable with touch screen and gyroscope features. If you still haven't tired of the game, or own a vita and not a console or PC, this is a great purchase. If you don't like handhelds or are an elitist about performance, don't bother with this one.
  9. Dec 26, 2014
    Great port for the Vita, and perfect for on the go. While the framerate suffers at times of heavy combat, the game as a whole is very playable. This is may not be the optimal Borderlands experience if you'd rather use a console...but personally, there's something about this game that just feels very comfortable on the Vita. The controls take some getting used to, but are very doable. IGreat port for the Vita, and perfect for on the go. While the framerate suffers at times of heavy combat, the game as a whole is very playable. This is may not be the optimal Borderlands experience if you'd rather use a console...but personally, there's something about this game that just feels very comfortable on the Vita. The controls take some getting used to, but are very doable. I find them to be adequate, and have had little difficulty getting responsive actions from either the front or rear touchpad. All in all, I'm very pleased Iron Galaxy's work with this port, and love having Borderlands at my fingertips. Expand
  10. Jun 1, 2014
    first off its amazing that borderlands 2 fits on the vita second off it try's it's best to look like the ps3 version and for most part it does. everything looks nice from a distance then it looks a little pix-elated when you get close but you let it slide after a few minutes. the enemy count is a little low only three or four on screen at a time so that's a little annoying but afterfirst off its amazing that borderlands 2 fits on the vita second off it try's it's best to look like the ps3 version and for most part it does. everything looks nice from a distance then it looks a little pix-elated when you get close but you let it slide after a few minutes. the enemy count is a little low only three or four on screen at a time so that's a little annoying but after playing this for an hour or so i seem to forget about all that and lose myself in the world of Pandora again Expand
  11. May 19, 2014
    The game does not run smoothly for me, so buy at your own risk. For the game itself, quite a lot of the content has been removed from the original version of the game, and the graphics are not good, and do not match up to some of the other big Vita titles offer. I was hoping this game could justify my vita, given the huge success of the game on other platforms, but this game has reallyThe game does not run smoothly for me, so buy at your own risk. For the game itself, quite a lot of the content has been removed from the original version of the game, and the graphics are not good, and do not match up to some of the other big Vita titles offer. I was hoping this game could justify my vita, given the huge success of the game on other platforms, but this game has really failed to capture any of my praise. It stutters and jerks, crashes on multiple occaisions and loses progress. For a game of this type, that is game-breaking. Also, although you can get used to the controls, to an extent, after a while, they are unnatural, and i am always pressing buttons by accident. Expand
  12. May 19, 2014
    I wasnt expecting it to look amazing, I mean, it wasnt designed with the Vita in mind, but rather just ported over to the vita in the space of a few months... But I wasnt expecting the performance issues.

That said, all the content is there and it runs one hell of alot better than the REALY bad vita games like Ratchet and Clank Qforce or Assassins creed liberation... You see, cos while Borderlands 2 can drop frames and even stutter sometimes, at least it averages at roundabout 30fps at native resolution instead of 20fps at a fraction of the resolution like the aforementioned games. Even if its graphics has been dumbed down, and it only has 2 player coop, The entire borderlands 2 game is there with all the content. Wich is great
  13. May 19, 2014
    A watered-down port. Bodies disappear now since the system can't handle so many corpses so you can no longer see the carnage you wrought strewn all over the land. Multiplayer is limited along with the graphics, which are a bit rougher.The audio is a bit grainy now and I really wish there was official pvp. The game runs a bit slower now as well. Enemies now attack in minuscule packs whichA watered-down port. Bodies disappear now since the system can't handle so many corpses so you can no longer see the carnage you wrought strewn all over the land. Multiplayer is limited along with the graphics, which are a bit rougher.The audio is a bit grainy now and I really wish there was official pvp. The game runs a bit slower now as well. Enemies now attack in minuscule packs which are quite easy to dispatch. Overall, pretty good. Expand
  14. Jun 7, 2014
    It's amazing to be able to play Borderlands 2 anywhere you like. I think it's a technical wonder and can look past a couple of hick ups with frame rates. I wish I could port my Xbox 360 game saves over though !
  15. Jul 5, 2014
    This and the Jak collection are the sum of all that's wrong with the Vita. It seems like just because it's on the Vita it gets given a free pass in terms of performance. I for one didn't pay AU$200 to play 2 year old slideshows! The worst part is the Sony and the developer promised sloid 28-33FPS performance! What a joke. Your lucky if it's running at 22FPS.

The game is very good

The game is very good looking. I would debate that the porting was perhaps too straight forward. They should have put in a lot more work to take out some objects in the game world perhaps. Why do I say the game should look worse? Simple: IT DOES NOT RUN.

In Sanctuary you can look forward to playing at 10FPS. Go check Eurogamer.net, they did a digital foundry, I'm not even joking!

They game has no shadows, not even baked ones, yet the textures are quite high resolution!? (I've meddled with Vita development so I assume that the textures are what killed performance because that's always what makes my little games run bad.) In a gun fight the game is NOT playable, in fact it literally makes me nauseous. On a side note, disabling hud bob seems to help, but very, very little.

I fell so bad for anyone who buys a Vita that is bundled with this (Or Assassins Creed for that matter, like I did.) I hope that if you do you don't let this game ruin your view of the Vita. I don't think making this game the flagship title is doing wonders for the Vita's reputation. It just doesn't look like Sony care at all any more.

16. Oct 5, 2015
    Just wow. I played today B2 on PC GOTY version. At night I played Vita version with latest patch, and on Vita display it just looks very good, you will not notice any difference between PC version/if you just play and not dig carefully what are the differences/! Just great. Full AAA experience on the go. Framerate is very good, i do not know if it was patched, but when I firstly buy B2 onJust wow. I played today B2 on PC GOTY version. At night I played Vita version with latest patch, and on Vita display it just looks very good, you will not notice any difference between PC version/if you just play and not dig carefully what are the differences/! Just great. Full AAA experience on the go. Framerate is very good, i do not know if it was patched, but when I firstly buy B2 on Vita it was not as good as it is today. Now framerate is excelent, loading times are accetable. Give me more AAA full titles....aaa RE2 is comming.... Expand
  17. Nov 10, 2015
    The only reason to have this is if you already have a ps3 or ps4 to transfer your game save file to the screen after you're done traveling. If you want this game by itself on the vita, i don't recommend it. it runs like hell and the frame rate is atrocious. Buy it only if you're obsessed with BL2 and can't go out without playing it.
  18. Oct 22, 2014
    A terrible port, I mean oh my god at least don't release it in alpha
    So it still has that borderlands goodness but thee game drop to 12 fps a lot
    the fps is 20 most the time
    fix this game please!
  19. May 31, 2014
    Are you kidding me critics? BL2 on the vita is worth MUCH MORE than 65. It comes with 6 dlc packs, I'm only level 14 and I'm 7 hours in, the only real problem is at times the framerate drops, most of the time it's smooth, but at times it just gets really choppy. Its also crashed about 3 times on me, and before it crashed I had some brief audio problems, but the multiplayer and storymodeAre you kidding me critics? BL2 on the vita is worth MUCH MORE than 65. It comes with 6 dlc packs, I'm only level 14 and I'm 7 hours in, the only real problem is at times the framerate drops, most of the time it's smooth, but at times it just gets really choppy. Its also crashed about 3 times on me, and before it crashed I had some brief audio problems, but the multiplayer and storymode are so much fun it's more than forgivable. Expand
  20. Jun 4, 2014
    I previously scored this at 8, but after playing the game for a couple of weeks, I am starting to get frustrated as the missions get longer and longer, because when the game crashes, which happens to me about once per day of play (2-4 hours per day playing), I have to start at the beginning of that level/world/mission again. If I happened to be lucky and hit a save point before crashing II previously scored this at 8, but after playing the game for a couple of weeks, I am starting to get frustrated as the missions get longer and longer, because when the game crashes, which happens to me about once per day of play (2-4 hours per day playing), I have to start at the beginning of that level/world/mission again. If I happened to be lucky and hit a save point before crashing I get to keep my loot. If not I lose everything I gained since last save. I have lost some really good loot like this. I love the game. I just hate that we got the alpha version of it. Fix the instability and I'll update my review. The framerate dips I can live with. Having to replay through an hour or more of a level and lose weapons I will never see again is frustrating as poo. Expand
  21. May 30, 2014
    I have to say I was very sceptical when I read all the negative reviews about this game, but seriously there were always going to be problems with this game, the sheer size of it down converted onto a handheld!! Anyway when I made the purchase late last night ( 30th May EU release date ) I was very pleasantly surprised they were able to squeeze this massive game onto the vita, theI have to say I was very sceptical when I read all the negative reviews about this game, but seriously there were always going to be problems with this game, the sheer size of it down converted onto a handheld!! Anyway when I made the purchase late last night ( 30th May EU release date ) I was very pleasantly surprised they were able to squeeze this massive game onto the vita, the development team behind this endeavour deserve a round of applause. Well done! So far 3 hours int the game, its easy to point out the short falls, tiny text and map not a lot of enemies on screen at the same time, some noticeable frame drops in heavy combat, but aside from that I like the controls, their easy considering I've mastered the vita's front and rear touch pads from other great games like Killzone Mercenaries and the numerous hours with remote play on the PS4. Borderlands 2 is a joy to play, best purchase since Killzone Mercenaries, this is what i've been waiting for. I've always meant to complete Borderlands 2 a second time with a different character, now I can, but on the go! This is EPIC! Well worth €25. Blown away with the value of this game! Expand
  22. Oct 16, 2014
    The game is awesome, just like the pc and console versions! The game comes with 6 add-ons! 2 that are quest and story, 2 that are packs with skins and weapons and all that stuff, and 2 that are character packs. The game is addicting, and if you have a ps vita, you're going to play this game all day.

Here are the Positives and Negatives: +A good challenge +Great story +Awesome

Here are the Positives and Negatives:

+A good challenge
    +Great story
    +Awesome Gameplay and gun-play
    +Funny and badass characters
    +An evil and hilarious villain
    +Really long game
    +High replay value with True and Ultimate Vault Hunter Mode (New game +)

-Awkward controls, but you'll get used it
    -Graphics are less than the pc and consoles because of a lot less antialiasing and shadows, but it's alright, it doesn't really matter, game still looks great

If you have a PS Vita, I really recommend this game, even if you have the console versions already. :)
  23. May 9, 2017
    As far as I'm concerned, Borderlands 2 is one of my favourite games of all time: great shooting mechanics, fun RPG/FPS hybrid gameplay, and an absolute ton of things to do, not even including the density of DLC expansions. On those merits alone, it's great... on home consoles and PC at least. On the Vita, it's a slightly different story. Right off the bat though, the one thing I amAs far as I'm concerned, Borderlands 2 is one of my favourite games of all time: great shooting mechanics, fun RPG/FPS hybrid gameplay, and an absolute ton of things to do, not even including the density of DLC expansions. On those merits alone, it's great... on home consoles and PC at least. On the Vita, it's a slightly different story. Right off the bat though, the one thing I am impressed with in this version is the fact that the entire game was made playable on a handheld system such as the PS Vita, no cutbacks on main game content or anything! Because of that though, the performance of this version massively sets it back from every other version of the game (having played the PS3, Xbox 360, Xbox One and PC versions of the game): lower draw distance, noticeably lower model detail, highly inconsistent frame rates, periodical crashes (mostly from occasionally entering your inventory, which sucks because you'll be going in and out of it A LOT). All of these plague the Vita version, which is a shame, because it does slightly hamper the frantic pacing of the game, compared to other versions. To say it's unplayable however, is an overstatement; it's still good fun, it's portable Borderlands to put it simply. It just should have had more time or effort for refinement, even if it meant further graphical sacrifice, or otherwise. Expand
  24. Jul 7, 2014
    Immediately upon starting up the game you realize what an excellent feat of engineering this game is on the Vita. It is THE ENTIRE Borderlands 2 Game with all of its content and DLC's. I was amazed how similar it is to playing it on the PS3, and in my opinion it is better on Vita. Of course some sacrifices had to be made to squeeze the entire game onto the Playstation's handheld, but theyImmediately upon starting up the game you realize what an excellent feat of engineering this game is on the Vita. It is THE ENTIRE Borderlands 2 Game with all of its content and DLC's. I was amazed how similar it is to playing it on the PS3, and in my opinion it is better on Vita. Of course some sacrifices had to be made to squeeze the entire game onto the Playstation's handheld, but they are very limited and seemingly unnoticeable except for there only being 2-player online co-op, in lieu of the consoles' 4.

The developers had to have put in so much time and effort to get this game to the Vita in such a pristine and untouched state compared to the original. There is no way it could have transitioned to Vita this seamlessly without some sort of magic or futuristic tech. This game is a must have on the PS Vita. It may be one of the last, great, AAA, American developed games for PS Vita. And literally, its all there. All the nostalgia, guns, and Skags one could ever want on a handheld.
  25. Jul 28, 2014
    I have heard people complain about problems but for me I have had one and 2 restarts and 2 freezes in over 30 hrs. of gameplay so far and all I got to say to the nay Sayers is BORDERLANDS 2 on a handheld being played anywhere and nothing cut out . Bloody great game for a handheld it is amazing if you think about it .
  26. Sep 19, 2016
    Honestly I have tried to like this game, it's was meant to be a big moment for the vita but I just can't get into this. Controls feel slow and jerky, graphics are ok and frame rate is an issue. If you are a borderlands fan stick to the console. Some games just aren't meant to be handheld and this is sadly one of them
  27. Feb 18, 2015
    great game for vita,frame rate still drops,especially in the sity but nothing groundbreaking but have some smooth frame elsewhere,overall great game for vita owners
  28. May 7, 2014
    I own BL2 on PC and I had middle-of-the-road expectations upon purchasing this game in the Vita bundle (I traded mine in). If you're worried about frame rate, too little players, drastic graphical differences...don't. Here's a quick synapsis of my thoughts on the game.

Graphics: This game looks fantastic for a Vita game, up there with Killzone Mercenary and Uncharted. It's honestly too

Graphics:
    This game looks fantastic for a Vita game, up there with Killzone Mercenary and Uncharted. It's honestly too hard to notice graphical differences on a handheld with a tiny screen as compared to a home console or PC monitor.

Framerate:
    There will be drops here and there, but nothing game breaking or annoying. With the naked eye I would say it sits comfortably around 25-30fps depending on the action or how quick you're moving.

Enemy Population:
    I've seen some gripes about this, I honestly don't notice a huge difference. I've had a vita since launch, I've logged over 100 hours on shooters like KZ Mercenary, but let's face it, the analog sticks can be difficult for twitch shooters. In the case of Borderlands 2, having a decreased enemy amount keeps it from being too overwhelming. I feel like it's just right due to the limitations of the vita controls.

Controls:
    Great, in respect to the vita and touch screen and touch back. The controls are fully customizable, so if you don't like them you can change them to your heart's content. Hell, if you don't like the controls on this game you probably shouldn't own a vita, because the vita controls aren't the same as playing on a console controller.

Co-op:
    Playing with 1 other player instead of 3 friendlies isn't really a big deal. If you're like me, you know a lot of people that own home consoles or PC's, but maybe 2 that own a vita. So, playing with one other buddy online with the vita party chat is really cool. I didn't notice much lag (my home connection is 30-40MBps).

Overall:
    This is up there with it's console/PC counterparts in terms of replayability and action. Some of the changes made don't effect the experience too much, especially for a handheld device. I highly recommend anyone with a vita pick this game up, you won't be disappointed.

My score: 9/10
  29. Jun 2, 2014
    I started playing this game and even though the presentation was gorgeous I wasn't sure to begin with. An hour in though and I was absolutely hooked! I never played this game previously on any other platform so unlike most other reviewers I played it from a fresh perspective as opposed to constantly comparing graphical differences.

Honestly, for a handheld game it is absolutely

Honestly, for a handheld game it is absolutely fantastic, the world is huge and beautiful and there is just so much to do its ridiculous. The fact I get it to play it whenever I want, either on the go or while away from home is great. The full console game experience is there and considering it cost me under £20 and came with most of the DLC released on the PS3 version it really is great value.

This game has already entertained me for 20 hours over the weekend and I've only just scratched the surface and loving every minute. I have friends on my list who want to play co-op with me and I'm even thinking of downloading the ps3 version (which i got free with ps plus) thanks to the cross save option which allows me to bring my character over. I'll then be able to play with some of my other friends who want to do 4 player co-op.

I'm so glad this Borderlands 2 came to Vita as it was the push I needed to finally try out this amazing game. Kudos to Sony or whoever chose the price point for not charging full price. An excellent addition to anyone's Vita library and certainly one of the best games on the system let alone on any handheld...
  30. May 14, 2014
    BL2 is still just as fun as when I played it on PS3. The graphics look very sharp on the 5" screen, and there's still the thousands of awesome guns. The drop in visuals isn't all that noticeable since the game is made to look like a cartoon anyways. The game runs fairly well, the most recent patch seemed to help. I've experienced no crashes after several hours with the game and it stillBL2 is still just as fun as when I played it on PS3. The graphics look very sharp on the 5" screen, and there's still the thousands of awesome guns. The drop in visuals isn't all that noticeable since the game is made to look like a cartoon anyways. The game runs fairly well, the most recent patch seemed to help. I've experienced no crashes after several hours with the game and it still feels weird being able to play such a large game on the go. Aiming does seem more difficult at first, but with the gyroscope it becomes much easier. The game met my expectations and I think I'll be shootin' and lootin' on the Vita for a long time. Expand
  31. Jun 1, 2014
    This review contains a minor spoiler!

This review contains a minor spoiler!

This is a rewrite. I originally gave it 8/10 but after extended play some problems have appeared. It's still fun and very playable even with the frame rate drops but the sound issues are really bad. For example if I use my melee attack he will make a sound 3 seconds later or you pick up an audio file it wont start for about 5. The fire hawk quest broke for me so I had to reload and do the whole dungeon again because (spoiler) Lillith wouldn't speak after I have her eridium. And even some of the cutscenes are soundless. It's still a fun game but its annoying not hearing all the great voice work which is there, but takes a while!
  32. May 27, 2014
    Having spent about a week with the game (OLED vita, physical copy, all dlc installed, patched) I have to say this game fulfills the purpose I bought it for, which is giving me a great game with depth on the go. I enjoyed borderlands 2 on ps3 and wanted to play through again with other characters. The game isn't perfect, and I think another patch or 2 is necessary to make it the gameHaving spent about a week with the game (OLED vita, physical copy, all dlc installed, patched) I have to say this game fulfills the purpose I bought it for, which is giving me a great game with depth on the go. I enjoyed borderlands 2 on ps3 and wanted to play through again with other characters. The game isn't perfect, and I think another patch or 2 is necessary to make it the game gearbox wants it to be. I haven't had any issues with the framerate stutters affecting my progress, as it seems to only happen when I'm moving extremely quickly (in a vehicle) and it's very minor. The controls work well enough and if you've played other shooters on vita this will be no problem to pick up and play. This game is WORTH THE BUY for any vita owner who enjoys shooters and/or games with great replay value. Expand
  33. Jul 23, 2015
    Borderlands 2 is a fantastic RPG on Vita or Consoles. After 200 hours in game I can safely say that I love the game despite its many flaws. However, some of
    These flaws are rather irritating. Playing through the same story line 3+ times just to get to the level cap is ridiculous. It is better if you have the DLC but I feel that DLC shouldn't be necessary for a less repetitive experience. Although, the main story is very diverse, entertaining, and well written throughout the whole thing and the DLC maintains these rather high standards.
  34. Jul 29, 2014
    I honestly don't see why this port has gotten such horrible reviews. I hesitantly bought this game against the onslaught of negative reviews in hoping that it would be at best, playable, and I was greeted with a very decent port of Borderlands 2 for on the go purposes. Admittedly, the initial control scheme set up the game starts you off with was uncomfortable, and it did take a bit to getI honestly don't see why this port has gotten such horrible reviews. I hesitantly bought this game against the onslaught of negative reviews in hoping that it would be at best, playable, and I was greeted with a very decent port of Borderlands 2 for on the go purposes. Admittedly, the initial control scheme set up the game starts you off with was uncomfortable, and it did take a bit to get used to the interface, but once I got this down and figured out how to switch the control scheme to fit my preference, I found that I quickly adapted to playing this FPS on my Vita just as I had with Killzone: Mercenary.

*Ultimately, this is a personal review and is meant to be viewed as such. I am not claiming that anyone and everyone will enjoy this Vita port of the PS3 game, but I am simply providing my opinion on the game as a standalone/portable FPS.

The game is huge, has tons of replay value, has plenty of content, the graphics appear to be more than adequate for a handheld console game, and the controls are honestly not all that bad after several brief sessions of playing. Furthermore, I have had very minor issues with lag and/or crashing and only several minor issues with glitching.

I'm giving this a 5/5 as it met my expectations, is, in my opinion, just as fun and playable as Killzone: Mercenary, which I thought was absolutely amazing especially as its a portable game, and has tons of game play to offer. If you like FPS games, have a Vita, and have a few bucks to throw out for this, I would definitely recommend giving it a try.
  35. May 17, 2014
    On Vita, Borderlands 2 is a good port of a great game.
    Borderlands 2 on Vita has it's flaws and issues -- such as framerate, texture problems, but nothing that makes the game completely unplayable. When I came across texture issues, a simple reboot of the game fixed the issue, and the framerate drops haven't been completely noticable as of yet.
    One major complaint that I have is the
    On Vita, Borderlands 2 is a good port of a great game.
    One major complaint that I have is the shared trophy list. IGN had stated that this wouldn't have a shared trophy list, so I was under the assumption that there wouldn't be one. This is a big disappointment for me because it takes away from the replay value of the game. Another complaint is connecting to other people playing the game. I continuously get the "could not connect to host" error. It isn't an internet problem either, as I have tried on two different networks, have reset the routers and can see the other people playing online.

Overall, Borderlands 2 on Vita is good. It's impressive to be able to explore the world of pandora in the palm of my hand. The slight framerate issues aren't that big of a problem, and the game is playable. That being said, I think that people would enjoy this more if they were new to Borderlands 2, as well as people who don't go into it comparing it to it's previously released console versions.
  36. May 27, 2014
    Hey this game is ON THE ****ING VITA!!! Yeah it's not as good as it's console/PC counterparts BUT that doesn't defeat the fact that an open world action RPG shooter is PORTABLE!!! It's a great game to showcase the system's capabilities. Yeah the controls can be a bit wonky but so what?
  37. May 14, 2014
    borderlands vita is a miracle. A top aaa console title on the most powerfull
    borderlands vita is a miracle. A top aaa console title on the most powerfull
    Portable gaming experience. Im a little angry with the bad critics. 30 fps? Who cares¿ the diferencies are not notorious to the normal eye. The mencioned framedrops are little, and i saw several like those on some pc games running with an nvidia graphic card and an i7 procesor. The controls are something dificult inicial y but you can tweak them and are funcional with habituation. This is an históric leap on game industry. Sometimes i think that critics Are unfair with everything comino from vita. Maybe the fact that some little piece of hardware is so powerfull means something dangerous to the gaming industry stablishment
  38. Jul 7, 2015
    Great game. Fun, addictive, lots of content. In my opinion it has too many DLCs bul well, I guess developers will never stop adding tons of DLCs to a game instead of finishing it.
  39. Jun 27, 2015
    This game is a massive achievement on the vita, people say it's unplayable which is so far from the truth. Yes you get the odd frame rate issue but this is the full game in your hands!
    Graphics wise it's very crisp and maybe they could of lowered the resolution to counter act the frame rate issues? But they are few and far between, mainly in sanctuary.
    Controls work well with the back
    Controls work well with the back pad a simple touch gets you sprinting along nicely.
    Only gripe is the small text in the menus but nothing major. You just have to accept its s console game squeezed down to play on a handheld and done rather well.
  40. May 30, 2014
    Great game on great system - but also with some problems

Following is based on version 1.03 of the game and around 20 hours of game play. Here is what I found: The Port Borderlands 2 fits right at home on Sony's portable system. It's the same great game that it was on the consoles. The port shares all the content (story, RPM elements, items, guns) that the original Borderlands 2
    Great game on great system - but also with some problems

The Port

Borderlands 2 fits right at home on Sony's portable system. It's the same great game that it was on the consoles. The port shares all the content (story, RPM elements, items, guns) that the original Borderlands 2 release offers + 6 free DLC. It's perfect for pick up and play.

Visuals

Visually this game looks fantastic, with only minor cutbacks to the graphics which most people won't mind since the game is styled in a cell shaded graphics and doesn't attempt to compete with Killzone Mercenary for best graphics. Yes, there is no rag-dolling but that's a small price to pay for the game to fit in your pocket. The only area that 'bothers' me a bit is the 3D view of weapon models in which the guns don't look quite as sharp and clean as in the console counterparts.

Controls

I found the controls to work really well once you customize them to your liking. I put weapons change and running on the rear touchpad which works perfectly except that I sometimes exit the vehicle accidentally when touching the rear touchpad. The vita's thumbsticks work fine for walking around and moving the camera and due to the gyro aiming the less sensitive thumb sticks are no issue at all during aiming cause you can make whatever fine adjustment you want to make. I almost want to say I prefer the gyro aiming to the PS3 console aiming.

Performance

The game's performance is unfortunately where there are currently issues. While I am by no means a frame rate Nazi ("60fps or nothing") I have to say that a choppy frame rate does impact the overall experience somewhat. 30fps should be a minimum. The game is just not as smooth and rarely runs at 30fps. Even when walking through certain areas (not only Sanctuary) it can drop to a 20pfs and that's without enemy involvement when there's lots of geometry and verticality involved. While not necessarily a fair comparison due to the more open level design of this game it has to be mentioned that Killzone Mercenary is a MUCH smoother experience running at a stable 30fps 99% of the time whereas BL2 can range anywhere from 30fps down to 15fps. While it can take out some of the fun at times it, never renders the game unplayable and at some point I almost felt that my eyes/brain got used to it. I am still hoping though that they can somehow improve the performance by maybe incorporating a dynamic resolution ... (please, Sony)

The menu performance is also a little sluggish when switching from one the skill menu to the gun or mission menu. Sometimes you have to hit L1 or R1 twice because it didn't register the first one. This is a really minor gripe though and it would be last on my list of improvements.

Overall Experience

The game is lots of fun, even on the Vita. However the experience is hampered by the inconsistent performance. If you want an absolutely smooth experience with stunning graphics Killzone Mercenary would be a better choice for you. In terms of content and fun this game beats it though. Were the performance more stable this would be an easy 9.5 - 10. The frame rate issues make it more of a 7.5 - 8 for me. Whether this port is for you depends on if you are able to adjust to a lower and inconsistent frame rate.
  41. Nov 9, 2014
    Borderland 2 on PlayStation Vita is an Excellent shooter, So far I played more than 10 hours and only experience the game crash once. I haven't play the BL2 on Xbox, PS3 or PC, so I cannot compare how it hold up against the better versions.
    Pros:
    - A good shooter on Vita - Good Graphics for a Vita Game - you can replay that game - Interesting story - A lot of content . Cons: -
    Pros:
    - A good shooter on Vita
    - Good Graphics for a Vita Game
    - you can replay that game
    - Interesting story
    - A lot of content .

Cons:
    - Frame rate issue, especially in the large area
    - Popup texture every time you load a new area.
    -Game crashes (only happened once so far)
  42. Sep 19, 2014
    I haven't taken this game out of my Vita since it launched. The only reason I didn't give it a perfect score is because there is only half the DLC available. I adore the cross-save function with the PS3 version. I have one of each character leveled up to at least six, with my Psycho at level 41 and playing TVHM. I am addicted all over again, and my addiction follows me around in my pocket.
  43. Jul 2, 2014
    Borderlands 2 on a handheld! Amazing. Of course there have been concessions made, bodies disappearing the most obvious. And the audio lags when interacting with major ai characters sometimes, which is annoying. And the frame rate can cause skips, but you can live with all of this. The naysayers need to get a reality check into how far handheld gaming has progressed in the last decade, andBorderlands 2 on a handheld! Amazing. Of course there have been concessions made, bodies disappearing the most obvious. And the audio lags when interacting with major ai characters sometimes, which is annoying. And the frame rate can cause skips, but you can live with all of this. The naysayers need to get a reality check into how far handheld gaming has progressed in the last decade, and stop comparing the game to how it operates on the ps3, otherwise we may as we'll rate it a 7 on the ps3 given that the PC version blows the ps3 version away on a PC with some grunt (especially in relation to multiplayer functionality).

Borderlands and borderlands 2 rock the world. All formats. Vita included. On the bus, on the train, waiting in a queue! Borderlands 2!!!!!!!
  44. May 10, 2014
    I know you've been waiting for it...THIS IS FINALLY THE GAME YOU SHOULD BUY A VITA! If you don't know, Borderlands 2 takes the open-world elements and wasteland exploring of Fallout, mixes it with the Space Sci-Fi Story elements of Mass Effect, and LARGELY plays off a sense of humor reminiscent of a Tarantino film (violence and cheap humor). Wow, Iron Galaxy and Sony knocked this one outI know you've been waiting for it...THIS IS FINALLY THE GAME YOU SHOULD BUY A VITA! If you don't know, Borderlands 2 takes the open-world elements and wasteland exploring of Fallout, mixes it with the Space Sci-Fi Story elements of Mass Effect, and LARGELY plays off a sense of humor reminiscent of a Tarantino film (violence and cheap humor). Wow, Iron Galaxy and Sony knocked this one out of the park. As someone who's played both PS3 and Vita versions, I have to say this version is great. A true example of how a port should be done. Graphics are close to the PS3 Versions, great framerate, and no missing content. This IS the console Borderlands 2, but it is better because it can be picked up and played wherever you want. $39.99 gets you 6 DLC packs and a brand new game that looks beautiful. Run, don't walk, out to your nearest store and buy this immediately if you already have a Vita. If not, the $199.99 Vita Slim bundle INCLUDES the game and is a perfect gateway into the glorious product that is a portable Borderlands 2. Expand
  45. May 14, 2014
    I was worried about the critic reviews but I've learned to take reviews of Vita ports with a huge grain of salt. I've played a bunch on PS3 and have not been let down by this port to any large extent. Yes, the hardware is fighting to put everything on screen in a smooth fashion and a number of corners were cut - but this is still a very fun game that is huge and crazy deep. It may be tooI was worried about the critic reviews but I've learned to take reviews of Vita ports with a huge grain of salt. I've played a bunch on PS3 and have not been let down by this port to any large extent. Yes, the hardware is fighting to put everything on screen in a smooth fashion and a number of corners were cut - but this is still a very fun game that is huge and crazy deep. It may be too big a game for the Vita to reproduce perfectly but I am still having a great time with this. Thanks Iron Galaxy. Expand
  46. May 14, 2014
    The weak critical reception of Borderlands 2 leaves me baffled and disappointed in our industry's trusted mouthpieces. Not only are the reviewers being unjustly harsh, they're also flat out wrong. Borderlands 2 on the Vita, like Killzone: Mercenary before it, proves without doubt that the Vita can absolutely bring full fat console titles to the small screen. What Iron Galaxy has done withThe weak critical reception of Borderlands 2 leaves me baffled and disappointed in our industry's trusted mouthpieces. Not only are the reviewers being unjustly harsh, they're also flat out wrong. Borderlands 2 on the Vita, like Killzone: Mercenary before it, proves without doubt that the Vita can absolutely bring full fat console titles to the small screen. What Iron Galaxy has done with BL2 is nothing short of a technological marvel and the team at IG should be immensely proud of what they've accomplished.

As any passionate gamer would, I read reviews of a game before I plunk down my cash or redeem those store points. In most cases, reputable reviewers give good, critical and fair reviews of new games (instead of being a sponsored shill that so many accuse them of). The mainstream critical reception of BL2, thus far anyway, is just shameful. Hey, Iron Galaxy, are you reading this? Great job team! Your blood, sweat and tears paid off. This is one hell of a fantastic port and I applaud each and every one of you for your immense contribution to the Vita.

My Impressions
    I've played and enjoyed both Borderlands console titles but truth be told, I never put more than a dozen hours into each of them. The first title seemed a bit more focused on multiplayer for my taste and the second title, while fantastic, was just a bit overwhelming for my taste. Level grinding and looting is incredible fun for short stints, but unless I'm playing a proper RPG or open world style game, I just don't spend multi-hour sessions each day in front of my TV (as much as I'd like to). When I heard that BL2 was being ported to the Vita I was elated. This is the perfect game for a capable portable and I stopped playing the console version intentionally so I could experience everything for the first time when it was released for Sony's handheld.

I had incredibly high hopes for this port but much lower expectations for the final product. Early previews of the game didn't sound good and after yesterday's release I almost decided to pass it on altogether. That would have been a huge mistake. I've been up all night looting and shooting to my hearts content and the game is coming with me when I leave later today for a trip.

Most of the criticisms you've heard are true. The frame rate is generally solid, but not spectacular, and can drop a little, or significantly, depending on what's happening at any given moment. The graphics are gorgeous but limited compared to their big screen brothers. The controls aren't ideal and can be a bit clumsy. But here's the kicker, each of these issues has either been greatly exaggerated or expectations for what the Vita is capable of are completely unrealistic. It's probably a bit of both.

What you ARE getting with this game is an absolute stand-out among the Vita library and a redefinition of what portable gaming can be. In a vacuum, without the console and PC games that came before it, BL2 would seem like some sort of magic or voodoo and gamers everywhere would rejoice that the Vita has been given a second life by a first class development team. Well, we don't live in a vacuum and millions of people have logged hundreds of hours each into the first incarnation of BL2, so comparisons are inevitable.

Is this the best way to play Borderlands 2? No, definitely not. The superior, bouncy, fast paced and spot on shooting of the console and PC versions make for a near perfect game in the genre. A better question to ask would be, is playing BL2 on the Vita fun and worthwhile? The answer, unequivocally is HELL YES. The ability to take a game like this with you everywhere, on the go is reason alone to buy a Vita, even if you never purchase another title. For those of you with a PS3, the cross-save feature is a God send. And for those that have never played this game, you're in for an amazing ride. It's difficult to justify the purchase to anyone who's already played through the PC or console game ad nauseam because why spend more time or an inferior version?

For anyone who hasn't played Borderlands 2, or has but really wishes she could bottle the magic and take it anywhere, Iron Galaxy has answered your prayers. I reside firmly in both camps and can gladly say the Vita has its third killer app. Don't let the troubled frame rate or sub optimal control scheme stand in your way, this is full Borderlands and full fun. FUN. Isn't that why we play video games?
  47. May 10, 2014
    I have played and been highly impressed with the console titles as well as a big fan. I was terribly worried when I heard there were issues with the game a month before release. No need to be concerned, this certainly is a Borderlands game. It still amazes me after several days of playing that the game was able to be shrunk down with nothing lost but two players in multiplayer, explodingI have played and been highly impressed with the console titles as well as a big fan. I was terribly worried when I heard there were issues with the game a month before release. No need to be concerned, this certainly is a Borderlands game. It still amazes me after several days of playing that the game was able to be shrunk down with nothing lost but two players in multiplayer, exploding enemies and slighter drop in frame rate. Aside from some screen skips when there are a lot of enemies on screen and super small lettering in the menus, this is an excellent addition to anyone's Vita collection and certainly a reason for anyone to go pickup a Vita.

"Maaake it raaainnnn!!!
  48. May 14, 2014
    I'm writing this article for two reasons: 1. The critic reviews are ridiculously harsh. 2. For some strange reason the user score took a giant plunge - from 83 to 74 and now its back up to 76- so I thought something must be up.

I'm enjoying this game. I bought the vita for this game. So far I have not been disappointed. The good: For a portable, the graphics are great. A

The good: For a portable, the graphics are great. A long play game so good value for the money. Interesting dialog and plot. Gameplay is fun. A decent shooter for the psvita. Issues that are not a big deal but exist: Sometimes camera angles are a bit wonky when in combat (but this exists in the platform game too). You need good vision to read some of the text boxes. Occasional frame rate slow downs (same problem in platform game).

My son is also playing the game (he's logged 100 plus hours on the PS3 version). He has similar thoughts as shared above and rates it a solid 8/10. He likes the fact you can lie in bed and play this game.
  49. Jul 23, 2014
    A decent port of an excellent game. The entire game is there, and both DLC characters, the first two DLC packs, and the first level cap increase for $40 isn't actually a bad deal. The game itself, while mostly playable, suffers from various technical issues. Frame rate is a constantly fluctuating, and the worst of all it's worst in the places you are in most often, like Sanctuary! WhileA decent port of an excellent game. The entire game is there, and both DLC characters, the first two DLC packs, and the first level cap increase for $40 isn't actually a bad deal. The game itself, while mostly playable, suffers from various technical issues. Frame rate is a constantly fluctuating, and the worst of all it's worst in the places you are in most often, like Sanctuary! While the draw distance is impressive, other subtle visual touches that made the game stand out are missing. You may notice that the moon, a major visual element in the game, isn't rendered right, or that the lights on Maliwan guns don't blink when you reload them. Even the higher rarity items seem to have no reflection map programmed (i.e. they're not "shiny"). Still it still is Borderlands 2, and will most likely scratch your Borderlands 2 itch. A more polished port would be most welcome though. Expand
  50. May 12, 2014
    Put aside the occasional hiccup in frame rate or audio cutting out, it's still pretty fun. Been playing my vita a lot more since this release. Not sure why ign gave it such a low score.
  51. May 12, 2014
    This is sad for me, I had a vita and it got stolen. So I was incredibly excited to see that I would get borderlands 2 with my new Vita slim. Once i got my slim I downloaded it right away, excited to see Borderlands on the small screen, but that was the one and only time I ever got excited by this game. After figuring out which character I wanted the game started and was graced to the snowThis is sad for me, I had a vita and it got stolen. So I was incredibly excited to see that I would get borderlands 2 with my new Vita slim. Once i got my slim I downloaded it right away, excited to see Borderlands on the small screen, but that was the one and only time I ever got excited by this game. After figuring out which character I wanted the game started and was graced to the snow level of the game running on my vita, I found clap trap, and I was on my way. But once I finally got around to encountering an enemy my happiness withered away. And thats when I realized that when there is an enemy or multiple enemies on the screen the frame rate drops at an alarming rate. Making the game down right unplayable. I pressed on for about 6 hours of the game but today I finally had enough. I have witnessed many great games on the vita that looked better and ran way better than this game, this game is worthless for the vita. I am glad I didn't buy a physical copy and that this game came free with my vita, because this would have been a much more vial review if that had been the case. Don't give this lazy port any money, it does not deserve a cent. Expand
  52. May 6, 2014
    This is definitely borderlands 2 the way that you remember on consoles. A couple tweaks in controls which are customizable, and some other small things that just take some adjusting to are different. But this is not a watered down version from what I've played so far. Good times.
  53. May 13, 2014
    Amazing. Such a big game in such a small device. Some critics have largely exaggerated bugs and the impact they have on the overall performance of the game. It plays great, and it feels like Borderlands 2 should. Like I said, it is amazing, truly a job well done.
  54. May 7, 2014
    VITA OWNERS: FEARS BE GONE. I have had my fears and doubts about Borderlands 2 being brought to the Vita, especially after a month or so ago when all the game covering websites were talked about how much trouble it was in. Rest assured, I bought the slim bundle (which feels great btw) so I could get an early copy of Borderlands 2, and let me tell you, it plays fantastic. THIS is why IVITA OWNERS: FEARS BE GONE. I have had my fears and doubts about Borderlands 2 being brought to the Vita, especially after a month or so ago when all the game covering websites were talked about how much trouble it was in. Rest assured, I bought the slim bundle (which feels great btw) so I could get an early copy of Borderlands 2, and let me tell you, it plays fantastic. THIS is why I bought my original vita, being promised real games on the go. This is the best experience you could have with the PS Vita right now. It's Borderlands 2 on the go, it plays great, it looks great, it's exactly what I wanted as a Sony and BL2 Fan.

Things to note about the Vita port criticisms:
    1) Yes, it's a shame you max out at 2 player co-op instead of 4. However, for me, I love that I can cross-save my characters and bring my toons with me to level up, get some gear, or just quest around. However, I think 4 characters would be far to busy for the Vita screen and I think lowering the enemy count makes the game feel balanced and never overwhelming. (Also, seeing enemies explode into a pool of blood instead of falling on the ground is JUST as satisfying).
    2) Controls honestly feel great. Sure, it's not going to be as solid and accurate as a ps3 controller experience, but it still feels great. I haven't played it on my original vita yet, but on the slim I haven't had any issues with the back touch screen. Hitting the back to sprint and melee has worked just fine, and touching for a grenade through feels fantastic (although the least accurate, can be hard to aim).
    3) It looks great. Sure, they had to dumb down some of the graphics and lower view distances, but it's still the best looking game on the Vita right now.
    4) Framerate and Loadtimes: the framerate is fine, I have yet to be killed by any of the rare framerate dips. I will say the loadtimes suck... but the maps are so big that you really only notice it if you're jumping back and forth from Sanctuary.

In short, if you are a Vita owner, and you have been excited about this since it was announced, fire off all the rounds, and throw your exploding gun at whatever worries you may have had. Borderlands 2 Vita is what we have all been waiting for.
  55. Sep 4, 2014
    I have never played any Borderlands game before, but I got to say...this game is great! It's a must buy for the PS Vita, and one of the best games on the PS Vita!
  56. Jun 26, 2015
    This game is enormous! A fantastic game to have on a portable console. Almost feels like your taking your home console with you when your playing this on the go. The game isn't without its technical flaws but can easily overlooked when you consider the overall enjoyment of having a game of this calibre on your Vita.
  57. May 15, 2014
    This is only the second review I've written in my time on this site, and I'm only doing so because this game is getting a ridiculously unfair rap from most of the critics.

In short, this game is outstanding. It's the full BL2 experience, in the palm of your hands. Of the concessions that were made to make this possible, the only major ones you'll notice is the framerate dipping

In short, this game is outstanding.

It's the full BL2 experience, in the palm of your hands. Of the concessions that were made to make this possible, the only major ones you'll notice is the framerate dipping minorly in a handful of areas, but it's never anything major, and how the co-op has been cut down to 2 players.

I'm approx. 28 hours in with my first character, and I'm not even close to being tired of this game. I'm already jonesin' to start a new character, and the (apparently very soon) upcoming cross-save patch for the console version means I can level one, some, or all of my characters up on the go, then transfer them to the big screen for some multiplayer madness. Outstanding.

This game deserves to be in every Vita owners library. I'm not saying any to this to defend the Vita and it's struggles, or out of my love of the BL series; this game is legitimately good one, and you all should definitely give it a go.
  58. Jun 10, 2014
    Insulting and completely biased, that are the labels I put on many reviews I've been seeing for this game. I've been playing for 50 hours now and all I can say is thanks Iron Galaxy for bringing a huge good title to the Vita. Now let me explain my point here. Vita is the best handheld device for gaming ever created, yet, sadly, it's being ignored by most devs out there and the situationInsulting and completely biased, that are the labels I put on many reviews I've been seeing for this game. I've been playing for 50 hours now and all I can say is thanks Iron Galaxy for bringing a huge good title to the Vita. Now let me explain my point here. Vita is the best handheld device for gaming ever created, yet, sadly, it's being ignored by most devs out there and the situation has come to a critical point where no 3rd party games are being released because the system is not selling well, and the system is not selling well because 3rd party games are not being released, so... this dangerous circle is leaving this poweful piece of hardware agonizing... 95% of the games released for the Vita are indie games. Now don't get me wrong, indie games are cool and that but everybody knows PS Vita is capable of MUCH MORE than that , just look at Killzone Mercenary... So, at least!, a great 3rd party game is released and, what do the reviewers do?? Bash the game violently, comparing it to the PS3, XBOX and PC versions, whining about framerate drops,etc... Seriously?! C'mmon guys! I've been playing this for 50 hours and I intend to keep playing for the rest of 2014. This game is awesome, it's still the Borderlands you all know and now ON THE GO! Is it perfect? No, of course not, actually it was clearly rushed to meet the schedule. It's got several bugs, the optimization seems bad in some aereas and my game crashed 5 times, I give you that, but Iron Galaxy is preparing a patch that hopefully will fix these issues and then, what then IGN? What then GamesRadar? What then USGamer? Will you change your reviews? I really hope so, because what Iron Galaxy did here doesn't desrve that insulting reviews. PS Vita is in a critical point, where we can help it rise up, or we can kill off the system. I love this hardware and I hope gamers get real and help reVITAlize it, because after what I saw in the reviews for this game I lost my faith in the so-called "specialized people". Expand
  59. May 19, 2014
    I read positive comments from users,so I'm waiting to play it.I don't care if some press reviewers give it low scores.Because some of them it seems they never play with a vita.I say this because of in some reviews critics claim about some things that when you read them,you realise that people don't used to play with a Vita.
    So I will buy this game and I will follow users comments,because
    So I will buy this game and I will follow users comments,because they know the console,they know the truth.
  60. May 14, 2014
    AMAZING GAME!
    DONT LISTEN TO THE CRITICS. they don't even really play vita games anyways! they dont know a good game if they seen one,
    the only negative thing about this game is the frame rate drops sometimes! big deal! its hardly any lag at all.
    Graphics are great on the vita screen! try it for your self. im telling you its one of the best vita games ever!
  61. May 19, 2014
    I'm writing this review from my Vita right now. Why? Because I haven't been able to put it down since Borderlands 2 came out on Vita.
    Who should buy this game? People with a Vita, people who like Borderlands, people who like open world games, people who like games, and people who like fun. Who shouldn't buy this game? EVERYONE should buy this game.
  62. Jul 3, 2014
    Simply put, the Vita version is the adequate port of a very good game. The game is crammed with lots of amibition and depth to make sure the Vita version can have all the same content as the Ps3 version, but that comes at a cost to the frame rate and enemy populations. I think it was a very big move to try and port such a big game on the vita, and even with the problems with frame rate theSimply put, the Vita version is the adequate port of a very good game. The game is crammed with lots of amibition and depth to make sure the Vita version can have all the same content as the Ps3 version, but that comes at a cost to the frame rate and enemy populations. I think it was a very big move to try and port such a big game on the vita, and even with the problems with frame rate the game is still playable. Though if you've come from the Pc version in the hopes of playing borderlands on the go, the technical leap backwards may put you off the Vita version completely. Expand
  63. Jun 1, 2014
    Excellent port, perfect for the vita. Disappointed initially by the bad reviews but still bought it and I'm glad I did, I suppose that reviewers are giving scores in comparison to the ps3 version but they shouldn't. Still, I played for 10 hours and can't understand where they saw all these graphics/fps problems they mention.

In my opinion, a must have for this console.
  64. Aug 27, 2014
    Why we´re the critics bad? it´s a great game that was exactly like the other versions but with better character control and they lower the price on the vita and all the dlc we´re there i think it´s a great game and everyone should have it.
  65. Sep 18, 2014
    I really like this game! I have played both console versions of this game and I have to say this holds up. For being on a handheld this port is insane. I am writing this review post update and I have not run into any kind of problems. It controls great and I never accidentally touch the rear pad. It looks great! Sure there are obvious differences such as lighting effects and some physicsI really like this game! I have played both console versions of this game and I have to say this holds up. For being on a handheld this port is insane. I am writing this review post update and I have not run into any kind of problems. It controls great and I never accidentally touch the rear pad. It looks great! Sure there are obvious differences such as lighting effects and some physics but this game is on the vita! Very minimal slowdown, no crashes, and to be honest I never fully got into the console versions. I can't put this one down! If you have never played this game and you have a vita get it now! Expand
  66. May 10, 2014
    Borderlands 2: You know it, you love it, you can't get enough of it. If the last bit of that is true, Borderlands 2 on the Playstation Vita is for you. There are a few things to note here, though. Don't expect this to be the best place to play BL2 (that still resides with the PC version), and keep in mind that Gearbox did not develop this.

As far as graphics are concerned, BL2 looks

As far as graphics are concerned, BL2 looks pretty good. It's no Killzone: Mercenary or Uncharted: Golden Abyss, but it looks and runs pretty well. There are some framerate dips in busy sections (I've just finished killing Captain Flynt for the millionth time, and you can see some hitches) but overall the game is playable and never breaks into unplayable territory. They did make every enemy explode when they die (to keep performance up; bodies everywhere would destroy this version) which I think is actually pretty funny and satisfying.

The controls are the big thing; the Vita has been touted as a FPS capable handheld for a long time. The port job is great here, with the default controls usable and completely customizable. Let me say that again: Completely Customizable. Wanna shoot with the back touch pad? Sure. Wanna jump with the D-Pad. Sure. Customizable controls let you find a comfortable setup for you, and this is a huge plus for the game.

Multiplayer is a point where BL2 Vita takes a hit; you can only play 2 players, compared to 4 on the console/PC versions of the game. Not a huge deal for me, but playing BL2 with 4 players is what some people come to the franchise for (then again, I don't think this is meant to bring people to the franchise, but to prove the Vita as a powerful machine).

If you are thinking about picking up a Vita, or have been on the fence about it, BL2 is a good push in the right direction. On top of the other massive time sinks on Vita (Persona 4: Golden, Danganronpa, any of the great JRPGs on the system), Borderlands 2 is a fun but flawed addition to the Vita's stellar library. Don't let anybody tell you that the Vita has no games.
  67. Jun 4, 2014
    This game can easily be forgiven for the little let downs. Once about an hour in your fully sold and ready to put in many more. A great buy at only £20 for a near console quality game on the go.
  68. Jun 2, 2015
    After one year playing this infinite game I can totally say it's not perfect but near, the most annoying thing is the random crashes that IRON GALAXY refuse to fix, and the thing about missed DLC like appreciated Tiny Tina's one; all the rest is just Borderlands 2 in a handheld so pretty amazing.
    Graphics are good enough, not great but fine, the controls are great and the rear's panel use you will get use to after 5 minutes.
    The game is infinite so by the missed content and the random crashed can't give 10/10 but worthy 9/10
  69. May 6, 2014
    Excellent, a little dub down but it s a must buy for the Vita. Lots of replay value. The game playable and decent frame rate. Very happy, with this purchase. Sony keep them coming!!!
  70. May 10, 2014
    For a handheld game, this is a solid 9.5. Created an account just to post a review for this game. I'm incredibly impressed with what this game offers. This is the same game I've played on the 360 and PS3 with no sacrifices. I see people talk about graphics not being on par with Killzone. I agree, but this game offers so much more than "graphics". Borderlands isn't about graphics.For a handheld game, this is a solid 9.5. Created an account just to post a review for this game. I'm incredibly impressed with what this game offers. This is the same game I've played on the 360 and PS3 with no sacrifices. I see people talk about graphics not being on par with Killzone. I agree, but this game offers so much more than "graphics". Borderlands isn't about graphics. It's about looting and shooting. And it offers a great experience in both. I've just completed my first playthrough and experienced no major problems. Occasional frame rate drop (just like on the consoles at save points and in Sanctuary) don't hinder the experience at all. If you have your Vita for JRPG's, don't get this. For everybody else, this is a must buy. You will not be disappointed! Expand
  71. May 11, 2014
    I am not a fan of FPS by any means, but I got this in the bundle, and decided to try it out. Despite the frame rate issues, this is a pretty awesome game. Big environments, quality voice work/sound and tight controls. It's a great AAA game for vita, and has me checking out its console relatives.
  72. May 12, 2014
    This game is amazing I love it. It has everything the console has with minor problems a few frame rate drops never noticed until you focus on it. Game looks amazing to the graphics feel like nothing has been taken away on the vitas screen and enemies blowing up was perfect should always be like that makes me laugh so much. I rate this a 9 must buy for anyone who has played it before andThis game is amazing I love it. It has everything the console has with minor problems a few frame rate drops never noticed until you focus on it. Game looks amazing to the graphics feel like nothing has been taken away on the vitas screen and enemies blowing up was perfect should always be like that makes me laugh so much. I rate this a 9 must buy for anyone who has played it before and new comers looking to spend money for the most enjoyable game that has ever come to the vita Expand
  73. May 13, 2014
    BL2 is a great vita game definitely a must buy for vita owners , impressive graphics and runs smoothly but with a few frame drop issues. There's so much content to play through its amazing how they fit this on a handheld this is one of the best games on the vita. I'll give this a 9/10
  74. May 13, 2014
    I recently bought the physical copy of the game and I'm still in the beginning of the game. Even though I have not completed the game yet, I know this would already be a great game in my book. My jaw was dropped every second I played the game. Graphics are great for a portable, frame-rate does drop or will lag at times, but it isn't game-breaking. Controls are decent, and you can literallyI recently bought the physical copy of the game and I'm still in the beginning of the game. Even though I have not completed the game yet, I know this would already be a great game in my book. My jaw was dropped every second I played the game. Graphics are great for a portable, frame-rate does drop or will lag at times, but it isn't game-breaking. Controls are decent, and you can literally customize every button at your own will, which is pretty cool. My verdict, get this game as soon as possible if you own a vita and have not played borderlands 2 yet. Expand
  75. May 14, 2014
    I was REALLY dissapinted over this game. Its nothing what i wanted, Random frame rate drops graphical glitches all over the place, but still the game isnt bad if you want a real FPS on your get Killzone: Mercenary runs better plays better.
  76. May 16, 2014
    This game is amazing, forget the critics, its like they don't even played the game. Critics like to compare VITA (not other handheld) with home consoles. Well, surprise, vita is not a home console !!
    As for the game its beautiful, graphically and tecnhically, it has some frame drops but it doesn't break the experience at all, and I think with all the support they will release patchs to adress this issues.

Have fun with the game just as I'm having.
  77. May 14, 2014
    First things first: playing a physical copy of BL2, with DLC and day one patch installed, on first-gen Vita.

The reviews for this game suffer from the same problems as reviews of almost any other cross-platform game/franchise. Reviewers just don't know how to provide proper context: does providing proper context for BL2 on Vita mean comparing it to BL on other platforms . . . or to other games available on *this* platform?

Reviewers that go the first route understandably score it low. If you've played BL2 on a proper gaming PC then no, you're not likely to be all that impressed (hello, Kotaku). If you're comparing Iron Galaxy's BL2 Vita port to other games available on Vita, you'll give it an astronomical score (hello, Playstation Lifestyle).

The truth is about dead in the middle. Yes, this port has enough issues that, in my view, it can't really claim a 95 or 100. On the other hand, those issues really aren't a huge deal. If you want to pick and play and knock out a side quest or two, BL2 on Vita is great. Stuttering isn't all that frequent (again, I'm on a first-gen Vita with hard copy, fwiw), and half the time it happens it's during a cutscene. In which case, who really cares?

Is Borderlands 2 on Vita the definitive Borderlands experience? Of course not. But that's such an idiotic expectation that it's almost a meaningless statement. Is BL2 playable on Vita, and a whole lot of fun, despite the occasional hiccup? Sure.

Seems like about an 8 to me.
  78. May 17, 2014
    AMAZING. Good lord...a portable Borderlands game. I never thought I'd see it happen. The game runs great, and look almost as good as it did on the consoles. There were some graphical cutbacks that had to be made, but that doesn't really detract from the experience considering it's on a portable. It's beautiful. It's addictive. I can bring my character anywhere and level him up. Cross-SaveAMAZING. Good lord...a portable Borderlands game. I never thought I'd see it happen. The game runs great, and look almost as good as it did on the consoles. There were some graphical cutbacks that had to be made, but that doesn't really detract from the experience considering it's on a portable. It's beautiful. It's addictive. I can bring my character anywhere and level him up. Cross-Save with the PS3 version. The back touchpads work great for melee and running, don't be fooled by the phony reviewers. If you don't like them as that though, almost every button can be remapped. AND if you buy the game new it comes with 6 DLC packs. Dang...it's just so good... Expand
  79. May 19, 2014
    Incredible they (Iron Galaxy) were able to port this to PS Vita. Together with the new Slim model a great opportunity to get on the 'Vita train'. Patch 1.02 is already out and Iron Galaxy seems to keep working on further patches to improve even more the performance. Borderlands is a blast and Vita gives us now the possibility to have that blast on the go! A must buy!
  80. May 26, 2014
    me encanto pero lo unico malo que bajaron los graficos y el online de 4 a 2
    pero incluye la mayoria de los dcl uno de los mejores shotter que tiene la vita hasta ahora
  81. Jun 1, 2014
    This is the best ps vita port of any console game ever. Do not believe any of the reviews from ign, gamespot etc It is mental to think that some of the major game review sites have slated this game because of the GRAPHICS! there are not that bad! there are good enough and you have the whole game in this package on the go, on the bus on the train etc anyway you want! so it is an amazing deal!!!
  82. Jun 16, 2014
    A Great Game. Don't Believe the Haters!

The overly negative and picky reviewers who complained about this title simply had unrealistic expectations. In reality, the graphics, controls, and performance are just fine considering the limitations of the Vita. If you don't like this game then I'm afraid that the problem is you, not the game, or the Vita. I have been playing portable video
    A Great Game. Don't Believe the Haters!

If you don't like this game then I'm afraid that the problem is you, not the game, or the Vita. I have been playing portable video games for over 30 years since even before the original GameBoy, going back to the horrific LED handheld games of the 1980s. I have had the Atari Lynx, all the color Gameboys up to the 3DS XL, and various iPhones. From my perspective this game is a God-send not only for the Vita, but for handheld gaming in general. Borderlands 2 for Vita is—by far—the best handheld game ever.

Is the Vita perfect? No. However Borderlands 2 plays well enough on Vita to have gotten me addicted and occupied me for many hours on long flights and while others were using my TV. It's frankly amazing they were able to pack the entire thing into the Vita and get it to run at a playable FPS.

To make it easier Borderlands 2 also did something smart by dividing the rear touch-pad into two buttons instead of four like some games have done. That allows you to slide your finger down the panel in case it doesn't register at first, and I have never had it glitch out if I did that. I have very cold, dead hands, and found the rear panel very unresponsive at first but I realized the trick is to touch it with the warmest, meaty, soft part of your fingertip instead of using the hard, knuckle side. Holding it the way described below let me do that.

The trick was that I adjusted how I held the Vita. At first I held it like I would hold a PS3 controller, wrapping my fingers around the back. However this didn't work because I would errantly activate the rear panel. The solution I found is to hold the Vita where its edges only touch the inside of each hand's index finger and thumb area, and then curl my middle fingers down to rest in the rear, indented, rubberized, oval-shaped areas. That holds the unit firmly in place. After that, I only use my ring finger on each hand with the rear touch panel. This hand formation allows the ring finger to have a better angle-of-approach on the rear panel in order to make solid contact with that soft, meaty, warm part of the finger, so as to register a good hit every time. It also prevents slippage that had previously been causing me to accidentally touch outside of the rear panel area, because when my middle fingers are firmly seated in the oval areas, that gives a fixed point of reference allowing my ring finger not to miss.

Online play seemed to work fine, with voice chat coming through and no discernible lag (I was the host though). I don't mind it only being two players instead of four.

The game does not crash or freeze up any more often than the 360 version. In fact it seems to be more stable, if anything. I was able to switch to settings and then come back without dropping the online connection to a fellow player.

Drop rates seem good, I've gotten a couple of Legendaries and four natural purples up to level 11.

If you are a super-hardcore gamer who plays OP8 and wants to farm hoards of mobs at the highest level while "Drunk" so that your guns spew millions of bullets that bring all but the most elite PC gaming rigs to their knees, then I suggest you either steer clear of this Vita version or adjust your gameplay style to play within the limits of this hardware. I think that's a reasonable approach and you should not give this game a lower rating because of the Vita's limitations.

That being said, this game really makes me hope that Sony puts out a higher-performing version of the Vita that runs all the same games while performing with faster FPS. I'm still not sure why they haven't done so already.
  83. Jul 10, 2014
    Great game, but not great port. I don't recommend you to buy this version as main one. If you have it on ps3 system, you can transfer progress from vita to ps3, in this case portable version of borderlands is okay, but framerate problems is bad, obviously. It always drops from 28 to 15.
  84. Nov 12, 2014
    Played this quite a bit on the XB360, so I was excited to see it came with the PS Vita (plus the first half of the add-ons!!) Game plays quite nicely on the Vita, especially when compared to the performance of other handhelds. One and only complaint is how easy it is to accidentally activate on screen abilities (either throwing a grenade when trying to aim or activating the characterPlayed this quite a bit on the XB360, so I was excited to see it came with the PS Vita (plus the first half of the add-ons!!) Game plays quite nicely on the Vita, especially when compared to the performance of other handhelds. One and only complaint is how easy it is to accidentally activate on screen abilities (either throwing a grenade when trying to aim or activating the character abilities while moving.) As a side note, I'm sure some people are upset about it, but I find it rather amusing that every single enemy explodes on death, which I can only imagine is done to prevent the system from being bogged down from rendering 100's of dead bodies at a time. Overall, great port of an amazing game! Expand
  85. Dec 10, 2014
    I created a metacritic account just for this game. It was very well done and I cannot believe that critcs gave it so bad of a review. People need to go buy more vita bundles and make sure you download the update!!! It fixes a lot of the frame rate problems. Its like people expect a ps3 ge to run perfect on a handheld. Lol idiots
  86. Apr 26, 2015
    I have heard soooo many great things about bl2, and being completely new to the franchise, i decided to get the vita port considering the vita is all i have. I was fully aware of consumers complaints about the game, and i wanted to find out if it was true, or just overreaction. After playing it for some time, it was a very good game, and my only complaint is the frame rate, the thing thatI have heard soooo many great things about bl2, and being completely new to the franchise, i decided to get the vita port considering the vita is all i have. I was fully aware of consumers complaints about the game, and i wanted to find out if it was true, or just overreaction. After playing it for some time, it was a very good game, and my only complaint is the frame rate, the thing that determines whether the game is even playable or not, and frankly bl2 on vita is right on the verge of unplayable. BUT! all the console content is there, and its the entire borderlands 2 game! Overall, not bad but certainly not fantastic Expand
  87. Aug 15, 2016
    Not a big fan of multiplayer open world games & actually Didn't like the game on PC or PS3. graphics & vibe was off so never got into it. however i recently Finally got the VITA version of the game on the recent store sale as i'm less picky on that & to my surprise (and after day one patch) I'm happy to report there No big slowdowns & its actually An amazing, witty, fun, fast & rewardingNot a big fan of multiplayer open world games & actually Didn't like the game on PC or PS3. graphics & vibe was off so never got into it. however i recently Finally got the VITA version of the game on the recent store sale as i'm less picky on that & to my surprise (and after day one patch) I'm happy to report there No big slowdowns & its actually An amazing, witty, fun, fast & rewarding Game! easily one of the best, longest & most rewarding fps experiences on the PS VITA (Killzone M & Resistance BS are smoother & amazing too but the plot & vibe here is cooler...). my only down Is the rear & front touch controls. they are really UN-useful in this game, as i get grenades thrown out by mistake all the time. this game reminds me of: IDs RAGE, mixed with PORTAL 2 Humor, & telltales walking dead art style. Expand
  88. May 12, 2014
    Yeah sure there are some issues but the game is a lot of fun and looks pretty good. I think some reviews to date are too harsh. Mind you I never played on the consoles or PC.
  89. TBV
    May 13, 2014
    It is always good when third party devs support the vita. While it is a good thing Borderlands 2 came to vita, it is not all fun and roses in the performance department. Nevertheless, this game looks great on your vita. If you can forgive that framerate, you will have a great time.

Pros: Looks really good on the OLED screen, Borderlands on the go
    Cons; The lag makes aiming a chore
  90. Jun 1, 2014
    Other than a few bugs here and there the game is excellent, I see no reason why critics gave it a low score. There is no problems with frame rate and I have no problems with the back touch panel.

This game is a must buy for Vita owners, honestly forget what critics say and try for yourself.
  91. May 27, 2014
    This game is underrated by the critics. I've put hours in to the game now, and while it is not always perfect (frame rate drops at times, not the same draw distance as the PS3 version) it simply amazes me to see so much content packed into a FPS/RPG for a handheld system. While I love my Vita, there have been few games that have entertained me as much as this one has - and I think I'veThis game is underrated by the critics. I've put hours in to the game now, and while it is not always perfect (frame rate drops at times, not the same draw distance as the PS3 version) it simply amazes me to see so much content packed into a FPS/RPG for a handheld system. While I love my Vita, there have been few games that have entertained me as much as this one has - and I think I've only scratched the surface. I have even tried cross-save at this point and it has worked flawlessly so far. So easy to upload my save from the PS3 and take the game on the go Expand
  92. Aug 1, 2014
    i got this on release and i have to say this has a few issues one the frame rate in some areas is pretty bad & the lack of 4 player coop kinda hinders this experience.but this is understandable since its a handheld version and there are a few positives one you get the 2 extra characters the Mechromancer & The Psycho classes you also get all 4 DLC Expansions with the Vita version its wasi got this on release and i have to say this has a few issues one the frame rate in some areas is pretty bad & the lack of 4 player coop kinda hinders this experience.but this is understandable since its a handheld version and there are a few positives one you get the 2 extra characters the Mechromancer & The Psycho classes you also get all 4 DLC Expansions with the Vita version its was tough to rate this game but my final score is 6/10 Expand
  93. May 14, 2014
    I am honestly disgusted at the critics' reviews that have been published. Borderlands 2 on the vita has it's issues, without a doubt. Slow-downs occur and compromises are made in the graphics department. The controls are also not IDEAL, but are far from unplayable. Under normal conditions, I would give this a 7 or 7.5, but the whining by other reviewers made me give it a 10 to spite them.I am honestly disgusted at the critics' reviews that have been published. Borderlands 2 on the vita has it's issues, without a doubt. Slow-downs occur and compromises are made in the graphics department. The controls are also not IDEAL, but are far from unplayable. Under normal conditions, I would give this a 7 or 7.5, but the whining by other reviewers made me give it a 10 to spite them. If you dock this game for having lower-quality graphics than the PC or console version, you're a moron. The graphics are very impressive for a vita game, especially one that is as large and open-ended as this. The control scheme takes some getting used to, but concessions had to be made in order to fit every function onto the vita. I compare it to the Jak and Daxter collection on the vita, which was another game that was panned because you had to use the rear touch pad, and the controls weren't ideal. Wah.

Sites like IGN and GamesRadar giving this game scores in the 4-5 range is pathetic. If you can overlook the relatively minor issues, buy it. If you can't overlook those, don't buy it. I enjoy it, and while it's not worthy of a perfect 10, hopefully my score will raise the user score average in the slightest so someone else will buy it and enjoy it also.
  94. May 7, 2014
    I feared that this would be a terrible port since the day it was announced, but I was wrong to fear, this is a great game and port. This of course is not its console or PC counterpart, it has had to make many sacrifices to run smoothly on the handheld. The graphics are a significant downgrade from the console version of the game, but the gameplay remains in tact. Great port, 9/10.
  95. May 8, 2014
    Great vita game. Don't compare to PS3 or PC versions though. On its own, this is a very fun game and a large step for the vita. Graphics are very good, much better than online videos suggest. The controls can be a bit wonky with the touch panel on the rear, but thankfully, the controls are fully interchangeable which resolves that issue quite a bit.

You will see some framerate dips

You will see some framerate dips in the menus, but nothing gamebreaking. There are also some slight dips during certain boss fights, but nothing drastic. When not compared to it's console/pc brethren, the game looks stunning and colors can pop quite a bit. I was actually surprised how similar it looked when viewed next to its full fledged peers.

There were some complaints in regards to enemy population and in my experience you will see up to 5-6 at a time depending. The norm seems to be 3-4, but with the control differences of a handheld, you will be glad that enemy population was dialed back a bit. Spawns are also timed well to keep you on your toes so the engagements never feel too easy.

The 2 player co-op ran smooth when I tried it and audio chat was a very nice feature as my partner and I took down enemies and shared items. Overall I have no complaints, though 3-4 players would of been nice.

I know I've already said this, but I feel it must be stressed. BL2 on the vita is not out to give you a carbon copy of the console/PC experience. If you want that, then go play on those platforms. What BL2 does give you is a very enjoyable FPS RPG that you can take on the go. It does make some sacrifices in regards to certain effects and stuff, but considering the sheer scale and fun that you can take from this game, it is well worth the compromise.
  96. May 8, 2014
    Great game that suffers from some frame rate issues, Packed with content and everything feels very borderlands. Check nyu727 on youtube for a more in depth video review.
  97. May 9, 2014
    I still can't believe I'm playing this on my Vita. Just finished killing Bunker, and I am loving it. Plays great. Looks amazing. I hope they bring more Borderlands content to the Vita!
  98. May 10, 2014
    After reading others reviews I find they are lacking one critical element, no game plays this well with this much content on such an immersive world as borderlands 2 on the vita. I have killzone and love it, very fast pace and it plays well, but it's linear and more fun in multiplayer. I get bored with all the child games they come out with like little big planet and the like. It's notAfter reading others reviews I find they are lacking one critical element, no game plays this well with this much content on such an immersive world as borderlands 2 on the vita. I have killzone and love it, very fast pace and it plays well, but it's linear and more fun in multiplayer. I get bored with all the child games they come out with like little big planet and the like. It's not that those aren't good they just are kiddie. This has tons of guns, loot everywhere, and interesting fights with funny comments from the characters. It's a great game and honestly stands as one of the best out on the vita to date. There are a ton of great games but this plays so well. People just need to stop comparing to the pc and the consoles, this is a handheld, my gaming desktop obviously plays better but this opens the door for greater games like a elder scrolls game or fallout series. I think the vita has life in it yet. Expand
  99. May 10, 2014
    Borderlands 2 on PS Vita is very impressive. The game runs very well with only the very occasional frame drop. The graphics are not as good as the ps3 version but I barely noticed it while I was playing. The loading times are not bad. They average about 10-25 seconds. There are still almost just as many enemies as the ps3 version. I recommend this game to anyone with a PS Vita. It is aBorderlands 2 on PS Vita is very impressive. The game runs very well with only the very occasional frame drop. The graphics are not as good as the ps3 version but I barely noticed it while I was playing. The loading times are not bad. They average about 10-25 seconds. There are still almost just as many enemies as the ps3 version. I recommend this game to anyone with a PS Vita. It is a must have for Vita owners. Borderlands 2 does a great job at showing what the Vita can handle in terms of games. 9 out10. Expand
  100. May 11, 2014
    Borderlands 2 on the Vita you say, well it's impressive if you keep in mind it's a handheld console.

I don't usually review games but with the surprising lack of reviews from the big name reviewers during this bundle only launch week I feel I have to chime in. It's important to note, that I dislike playing FPS's on consoles as I am not much to play with the dual sticks. Mostly PC with FPS's.

Borderlands 2 on the PS Vita is impressive, very impressive. Amazing really.

Graphics: Not as good as the console but did you really think they would be? The Vita port makes great use of the cell-shaded style and aesthetic of the original despite using more simple textures. Things like shadows and other effects are gone but on the limited screen size of the Vita the game looks stunning. Enemies burst into a splat of blood rather than rag doll onto the ground on being killed, but the effect feel good. There is some pop in of textures as the system has to background load textures, but I noticed this issue on my Mac (where I usually play BL2) and my PS3 as well so nothing unexpected.

Framerate: This is going to be the thing that kills most "elite" gamers from the game. Gameplay is smooth despite the frame rates hovering between 27-32fps (estimated). Even in heavy action situations I have never had it drop too low to play properly. If you were playing with a keyboard and mouse this FPS would really be an issues but with the Vita's control scheme, it doesn't have much of an effect.

Baddie Counts: Yes there are slightly decreased counts of enemies on screen. No it's not really an issue. Due to the nature of the Vita controls, they have balanced these two issues well. Your elite twitch gamers who is great with Vita dual sticks (very short sticks make twitch aiming difficult) might find the game too easy but I surely don't. I feel the balance was set perfectly.

Multiplayer: I don't do much Coop but the little bit I have played, played very well. The removal of 4 player in favor of the two player seems to work well with the balancing that they have created with enemy counts and the controls.

Cross Save: Cross save is not functional on the PS3 version at this time but it does work between BL2 on your Vitas (Have two now) Testing Cross-Save between them revealed a very elegant system. It's not an all or nothing transfer. You can "upload" 1 character at a time to Cross-Save and then download them to the other. When you download, you choose what character slot to save it in as opposed to a direct replace. It, with my limited testing, works very well and I look forward to being able to play on PS3 at home and just take my character on the road for some additional grinding and looting when away.

All in all: Borderlands 2 for the PS Vita is a gem. It really is most suited to people who play BL2 on the PS3 though. The ability to "Cross Save" is amazing though I would love to see this Cross Save functionality become platform independent. I understand this would likely never work between Sony and Microsoft platforms but there is no reason not to include it between PC/Mac and the consoles.

Extra note... as of yet, there is not one "professional" review for this game. I am guessing that they are gagged until Tuesday, the official release date but not really sure. Deep down, I am expecting pretty crappy reviews from these reviewers though. Their ability to differentiate between home console and handheld console games astounds me though. This will never be BL2 on PS3 or PC, it's a handheld. But what Iron Sky has done here is amazing. Just my $0.02.

Enjoy!

1. Jul 13, 2014
    As soon as you are used to the somewhat clumsy controls, Borderlands 2 on PS Vita is again a great adventure that keeps you engaged for more than 50 hours.
    Framerate issues and miniature texts bordering on the unreadable indicates that this is (sadly) just a quick and cheap port that’s a far cry from the majesty of the full-fledged versions of the game.
  3. Jul 8, 2014
    Not so nice to watch, hard to handle and full of glitches, this new entry isn't really what we were waiting for.