Borderlands 2 PlayStation Vita

7.7

1. May 7, 2014
    I own BL2 on PC and I had middle-of-the-road expectations upon purchasing this game in the Vita bundle (I traded mine in). If you're worried about frame rate, too little players, drastic graphical differences...don't. Here's a quick synapsis of my thoughts on the game.

Graphics: This game looks fantastic for a Vita game, up there with Killzone Mercenary and Uncharted. It's honestly too

Graphics:
    This game looks fantastic for a Vita game, up there with Killzone Mercenary and Uncharted. It's honestly too hard to notice graphical differences on a handheld with a tiny screen as compared to a home console or PC monitor.

Framerate:
    There will be drops here and there, but nothing game breaking or annoying. With the naked eye I would say it sits comfortably around 25-30fps depending on the action or how quick you're moving.

Enemy Population:
    I've seen some gripes about this, I honestly don't notice a huge difference. I've had a vita since launch, I've logged over 100 hours on shooters like KZ Mercenary, but let's face it, the analog sticks can be difficult for twitch shooters. In the case of Borderlands 2, having a decreased enemy amount keeps it from being too overwhelming. I feel like it's just right due to the limitations of the vita controls.

Controls:
    Great, in respect to the vita and touch screen and touch back. The controls are fully customizable, so if you don't like them you can change them to your heart's content. Hell, if you don't like the controls on this game you probably shouldn't own a vita, because the vita controls aren't the same as playing on a console controller.

Co-op:
    Playing with 1 other player instead of 3 friendlies isn't really a big deal. If you're like me, you know a lot of people that own home consoles or PC's, but maybe 2 that own a vita. So, playing with one other buddy online with the vita party chat is really cool. I didn't notice much lag (my home connection is 30-40MBps).

Overall:
    This is up there with it's console/PC counterparts in terms of replayability and action. Some of the changes made don't effect the experience too much, especially for a handheld device. I highly recommend anyone with a vita pick this game up, you won't be disappointed.

My score: 9/10
  2. May 6, 2014
    Excellent, a little dub down but it s a must buy for the Vita. Lots of replay value. The game playable and decent frame rate. Very happy, with this purchase. Sony keep them coming!!!
  3. May 26, 2014
    Borderlands 2 is an excellent example of what is called a flawed masterpiece. Yes, there are no shadows, yes there are frame-rate dips, and yes the enemies explode instead of just dropping dead. we can live without shadows, and the frame-rate could probably be fixed through a patch (They did it in Killzone Mercenary.) the exploding enemies add some more of that goofy humor the series isBorderlands 2 is an excellent example of what is called a flawed masterpiece. Yes, there are no shadows, yes there are frame-rate dips, and yes the enemies explode instead of just dropping dead. we can live without shadows, and the frame-rate could probably be fixed through a patch (They did it in Killzone Mercenary.) the exploding enemies add some more of that goofy humor the series is known for. True I did play the game for the first time on the vita, and true I did come in expecting it to be imperfect, but all in all it is an excellent game, and hopefully it can be made whole sometime in the future. Expand
  4. Jun 4, 2014
    I previously scored this at 8, but after playing the game for a couple of weeks, I am starting to get frustrated as the missions get longer and longer, because when the game crashes, which happens to me about once per day of play (2-4 hours per day playing), I have to start at the beginning of that level/world/mission again. If I happened to be lucky and hit a save point before crashing II previously scored this at 8, but after playing the game for a couple of weeks, I am starting to get frustrated as the missions get longer and longer, because when the game crashes, which happens to me about once per day of play (2-4 hours per day playing), I have to start at the beginning of that level/world/mission again. If I happened to be lucky and hit a save point before crashing I get to keep my loot. If not I lose everything I gained since last save. I have lost some really good loot like this. I love the game. I just hate that we got the alpha version of it. Fix the instability and I'll update my review. The framerate dips I can live with. Having to replay through an hour or more of a level and lose weapons I will never see again is frustrating as poo. Expand
  5. Jun 1, 2014
    This review contains a minor spoiler!

This review contains a minor spoiler!

This is a rewrite. I originally gave it 8/10 but after extended play some problems have appeared. It's still fun and very playable even with the frame rate drops but the sound issues are really bad. For example if I use my melee attack he will make a sound 3 seconds later or you pick up an audio file it wont start for about 5. The fire hawk quest broke for me so I had to reload and do the whole dungeon again because (spoiler) Lillith wouldn't speak after I have her eridium. And even some of the cutscenes are soundless. It's still a fun game but its annoying not hearing all the great voice work which is there, but takes a while!
  6. Apr 26, 2015
    I have heard soooo many great things about bl2, and being completely new to the franchise, i decided to get the vita port considering the vita is all i have. I was fully aware of consumers complaints about the game, and i wanted to find out if it was true, or just overreaction. After playing it for some time, it was a very good game, and my only complaint is the frame rate, the thing thatI have heard soooo many great things about bl2, and being completely new to the franchise, i decided to get the vita port considering the vita is all i have. I was fully aware of consumers complaints about the game, and i wanted to find out if it was true, or just overreaction. After playing it for some time, it was a very good game, and my only complaint is the frame rate, the thing that determines whether the game is even playable or not, and frankly bl2 on vita is right on the verge of unplayable. BUT! all the console content is there, and its the entire borderlands 2 game! Overall, not bad but certainly not fantastic Expand
  7. May 13, 2014
    Amazing. Such a big game in such a small device. Some critics have largely exaggerated bugs and the impact they have on the overall performance of the game. It plays great, and it feels like Borderlands 2 should. Like I said, it is amazing, truly a job well done.
  8. May 15, 2014
    ONLY UNDER EXTREME CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD A GAME GET BELOW A 3. My god these **** idiots giving this game 0 and 1 because of some moderate performance issues piss me off. ET from the Atari deserves a 1 or a 2. Not this port of a great game.

My score is a 10 to balance out the undeserved low scores. This game deserves a solid 7 or 8. There are framerate problems, most notable in sanctuary. Luckily you will never need the frame speed high in a safe zone such as Sanctuary. The menus could be a little more responsive. Many people seem to forget that these problems also exist on consoles, although to a lesser degree.

Other than that, I have no complaints. The controls were weird at first, but I got used to them after an hour or two, and now I'm finding it very easy to headshot and melee to my heart's content. I didn't even switch from the default scheme, either. The visuals look stunning. It is hard to even notice any downgrades, besides the initial texture loading (but that was prominent on the other versions as well). Most importantly, ALL the content of the other versions is here, plus some dlc for free.

This is the worst version of the game. That being said, it is also portable with touch screen and gyroscope features. If you still haven't tired of the game, or own a vita and not a console or PC, this is a great purchase. If you don't like handhelds or are an elitist about performance, don't bother with this one.
  9. May 7, 2014
    I feared that this would be a terrible port since the day it was announced, but I was wrong to fear, this is a great game and port. This of course is not its console or PC counterpart, it has had to make many sacrifices to run smoothly on the handheld. The graphics are a significant downgrade from the console version of the game, but the gameplay remains in tact. Great port, 9/10.
  10. May 11, 2014
    I am not a fan of FPS by any means, but I got this in the bundle, and decided to try it out. Despite the frame rate issues, this is a pretty awesome game. Big environments, quality voice work/sound and tight controls. It's a great AAA game for vita, and has me checking out its console relatives.
  11. May 14, 2014
    It is incredibly frustrating to see how generally panned this game has been getting from professional reviewers whom you would think would understand a thing or two about developing a game... or porting something as ambitious as Borderlands 2 over to Vita. All the criticism I've read about the performance is coming from a place of comparison to either it's console, or PC counterparts, orIt is incredibly frustrating to see how generally panned this game has been getting from professional reviewers whom you would think would understand a thing or two about developing a game... or porting something as ambitious as Borderlands 2 over to Vita. All the criticism I've read about the performance is coming from a place of comparison to either it's console, or PC counterparts, or to other Vita games, such as Killzone Mercenary, or Uncharted Golden Abyss. If you take a step back, and judge it on it's own, this is an amazing game on the Vita - something Iron Galaxy Studios should be proud of, and something that I'm enjoying the hell out of. EVERY Vita owner should have this game.

The comparisons from the critics are flawed. You're really going to compare the vita version to a console, or worse to a PC? Of course this isn't the definitive edition - it's the portable edition... concessions need to be made to get an open world experience as big as this onto the Vita. In my opinion the concessions they made were smart. Sure textures take a hit, sure enemies don't rag doll around with perfectly simulated physics, sure the frame rate hovers sub 30 at times - but seriously... it's Borderlands 2.... on the Vita. Completely playable - content complete.

Comparing this title to other Vita triple A games also doesn't hold ground. Both Killzone and Uncharted are universally praised for their visuals. They're amazing games on Vita... but both are built around small maps with a set number of enemies and corridors. Of course they run well - they were built to run on the Vita from day one. Borderlands 2 is an open world game that was built to run on consoles and PC. It's incredible that the Vita plays it so well. If the critics want to compare Borderlands 2 to other Vita games, let's have it stand next to Assassin's Creed Liberation. The critics gave that game better marks than Borderlands 2 - yet it runs worse than this. I'd get constant frame rate issues that rendered it unplayable to me. Borderlands 2 has yet to be as offensive, and i'm about 8 hours in.

One other thing on the Vita comparisons. From what I can tell, Borderlands 2 runs at native res. Assassin's Creed Liberation was a blurry mess at a sub-native resolution - there are a ton of games on the Vita that limit the resolution to make a smoother experience. It's commendable that the game is running at a crisp resolution at the frame rate it's pushing, especially when you compare it to Liberations sub-native res, and horrible frame rate. Perhaps Iron Galaxy Studios can patch in an option to lower the res to bump the frame rate...? Would that make the critics happy? Seems like they all harp on the frame rate issue... which really, again, is not as big an issue as they make it out to be.

Iron Galaxy Studios should be proud of what they've done - i'm enjoying my experience with it. It's so nice to take Borderlands 2 with you on the road, on the plane, anywhere. It's one of the top triple A Vita games out there, and it should absolutely be in everyone's library. Ignore those "professional" critics, and look at the support the game is getting from actual Vita users. It's an amazing game.
  12. May 14, 2014
    BL2 is still just as fun as when I played it on PS3. The graphics look very sharp on the 5" screen, and there's still the thousands of awesome guns. The drop in visuals isn't all that noticeable since the game is made to look like a cartoon anyways. The game runs fairly well, the most recent patch seemed to help. I've experienced no crashes after several hours with the game and it stillBL2 is still just as fun as when I played it on PS3. The graphics look very sharp on the 5" screen, and there's still the thousands of awesome guns. The drop in visuals isn't all that noticeable since the game is made to look like a cartoon anyways. The game runs fairly well, the most recent patch seemed to help. I've experienced no crashes after several hours with the game and it still feels weird being able to play such a large game on the go. Aiming does seem more difficult at first, but with the gyroscope it becomes much easier. The game met my expectations and I think I'll be shootin' and lootin' on the Vita for a long time. Expand
  13. May 15, 2014
    This is only the second review I've written in my time on this site, and I'm only doing so because this game is getting a ridiculously unfair rap from most of the critics.

In short, this game is outstanding. It's the full BL2 experience, in the palm of your hands. Of the concessions that were made to make this possible, the only major ones you'll notice is the framerate dipping

In short, this game is outstanding.

It's the full BL2 experience, in the palm of your hands. Of the concessions that were made to make this possible, the only major ones you'll notice is the framerate dipping minorly in a handful of areas, but it's never anything major, and how the co-op has been cut down to 2 players.

I'm approx. 28 hours in with my first character, and I'm not even close to being tired of this game. I'm already jonesin' to start a new character, and the (apparently very soon) upcoming cross-save patch for the console version means I can level one, some, or all of my characters up on the go, then transfer them to the big screen for some multiplayer madness. Outstanding.

This game deserves to be in every Vita owners library. I'm not saying any to this to defend the Vita and it's struggles, or out of my love of the BL series; this game is legitimately good one, and you all should definitely give it a go.
  14. May 12, 2014
    This game is amazing I love it. It has everything the console has with minor problems a few frame rate drops never noticed until you focus on it. Game looks amazing to the graphics feel like nothing has been taken away on the vitas screen and enemies blowing up was perfect should always be like that makes me laugh so much. I rate this a 9 must buy for anyone who has played it before andThis game is amazing I love it. It has everything the console has with minor problems a few frame rate drops never noticed until you focus on it. Game looks amazing to the graphics feel like nothing has been taken away on the vitas screen and enemies blowing up was perfect should always be like that makes me laugh so much. I rate this a 9 must buy for anyone who has played it before and new comers looking to spend money for the most enjoyable game that has ever come to the vita Expand
  15. May 14, 2014
    First things first: playing a physical copy of BL2, with DLC and day one patch installed, on first-gen Vita.

The reviews for this game suffer from the same problems as reviews of almost any other cross-platform game/franchise. Reviewers just don't know how to provide proper context: does providing proper context for BL2 on Vita mean comparing it to BL on other platforms . . . or to other games available on *this* platform?

Reviewers that go the first route understandably score it low. If you've played BL2 on a proper gaming PC then no, you're not likely to be all that impressed (hello, Kotaku). If you're comparing Iron Galaxy's BL2 Vita port to other games available on Vita, you'll give it an astronomical score (hello, Playstation Lifestyle).

The truth is about dead in the middle. Yes, this port has enough issues that, in my view, it can't really claim a 95 or 100. On the other hand, those issues really aren't a huge deal. If you want to pick and play and knock out a side quest or two, BL2 on Vita is great. Stuttering isn't all that frequent (again, I'm on a first-gen Vita with hard copy, fwiw), and half the time it happens it's during a cutscene. In which case, who really cares?

Is Borderlands 2 on Vita the definitive Borderlands experience? Of course not. But that's such an idiotic expectation that it's almost a meaningless statement. Is BL2 playable on Vita, and a whole lot of fun, despite the occasional hiccup? Sure.

Seems like about an 8 to me.
  16. May 10, 2014
    I know you've been waiting for it...THIS IS FINALLY THE GAME YOU SHOULD BUY A VITA! If you don't know, Borderlands 2 takes the open-world elements and wasteland exploring of Fallout, mixes it with the Space Sci-Fi Story elements of Mass Effect, and LARGELY plays off a sense of humor reminiscent of a Tarantino film (violence and cheap humor). Wow, Iron Galaxy and Sony knocked this one outI know you've been waiting for it...THIS IS FINALLY THE GAME YOU SHOULD BUY A VITA! If you don't know, Borderlands 2 takes the open-world elements and wasteland exploring of Fallout, mixes it with the Space Sci-Fi Story elements of Mass Effect, and LARGELY plays off a sense of humor reminiscent of a Tarantino film (violence and cheap humor). Wow, Iron Galaxy and Sony knocked this one out of the park. As someone who's played both PS3 and Vita versions, I have to say this version is great. A true example of how a port should be done. Graphics are close to the PS3 Versions, great framerate, and no missing content. This IS the console Borderlands 2, but it is better because it can be picked up and played wherever you want. $39.99 gets you 6 DLC packs and a brand new game that looks beautiful. Run, don't walk, out to your nearest store and buy this immediately if you already have a Vita. If not, the $199.99 Vita Slim bundle INCLUDES the game and is a perfect gateway into the glorious product that is a portable Borderlands 2. Expand
  17. May 10, 2014
    After reading others reviews I find they are lacking one critical element, no game plays this well with this much content on such an immersive world as borderlands 2 on the vita. I have killzone and love it, very fast pace and it plays well, but it's linear and more fun in multiplayer. I get bored with all the child games they come out with like little big planet and the like. It's notAfter reading others reviews I find they are lacking one critical element, no game plays this well with this much content on such an immersive world as borderlands 2 on the vita. I have killzone and love it, very fast pace and it plays well, but it's linear and more fun in multiplayer. I get bored with all the child games they come out with like little big planet and the like. It's not that those aren't good they just are kiddie. This has tons of guns, loot everywhere, and interesting fights with funny comments from the characters. It's a great game and honestly stands as one of the best out on the vita to date. There are a ton of great games but this plays so well. People just need to stop comparing to the pc and the consoles, this is a handheld, my gaming desktop obviously plays better but this opens the door for greater games like a elder scrolls game or fallout series. I think the vita has life in it yet. Expand
  18. May 11, 2014
    This game is the best vita game available on the market. It is a must have in your PlayStation vita library. You should buy a PS vita just for this game!
  19. May 13, 2014
    BL2 is a great vita game definitely a must buy for vita owners , impressive graphics and runs smoothly but with a few frame drop issues. There's so much content to play through its amazing how they fit this on a handheld this is one of the best games on the vita. I'll give this a 9/10
  20. May 13, 2014
    Borderlands 2 Vita is a great addition to the PS Vita. The game is great. There are performance issues such as stuttering and some frame rate dips but it does not hinder gameplay and it not that noticeable. The game runs stable to me. The graphics are great. Dont listen to critics and judge the game for yourself. I am having a fun time with Borderlands 2. For a Vita game this is amazingBorderlands 2 Vita is a great addition to the PS Vita. The game is great. There are performance issues such as stuttering and some frame rate dips but it does not hinder gameplay and it not that noticeable. The game runs stable to me. The graphics are great. Dont listen to critics and judge the game for yourself. I am having a fun time with Borderlands 2. For a Vita game this is amazing how an open world game could fit despite the limitations. I recommend Borderlands 2 Vita. I do not know where all the hate is coming from for Borderlands 2 Vita. Expand
  21. May 14, 2014
    First and foremost; IGNORE THE CRITICS. This is a well-made, incredibly fluent console port, and Iron Galaxy have done an amazing job. The critics seem to have completely sandbagged this because it doesn't play exactly like its PC counterpart, and honestly a lot of their writing reads like amateur dreck.

If you own a Vita and like Borderlands 2, and aren't expecting 1080p and 60fps, you will love this. It's as simple as that. I'm not a reviewer with a pretentious axe to grind; I'm just a gamer.
  22. May 14, 2014
    I'm a long time fan of Borderlands and was very excited for this. Finally got it last night and put in about 3 hours so far and love it. I'm a bit shocked at all the griping that it's "not as good as the console and pc versions." Well, duh, dummy. It's the Vita. Less power and a less comfortable/usable "controller."

Personally, I use the amazing NYKO powergrip when I play and it makes

Personally, I use the amazing NYKO powergrip when I play and it makes the Vita much more comfortable to use and makes the back touchpad a much more easily managed task.

I'm actually a bit shocked at how good it looks. There's a slightly noticeable drop from PS3 and small amount of pop in, but that's it. Framerate isn't nearly as bad as people are **** about. It's not rock solid constantly, but it's yet to deter me from killing anyone.

The one thing I will say is a problem is the menus and inventory. When you pull that up with "select" it takes a second to load and then is very sluggish when flipping through pages with L and R triggers. This was only a problem when trying to switch out guns mid fight. I swore a lot and ended up having to run farther away than I normally would have to give the menus time to sort their crap out.

Other than that I don't have any gripes. Plays great. Looks great. In game chat works great. It's Borderlands 2 on the Vita and it's still a blast.

Just wish the "professional" reviewers would get the sticks out of their butts about it not being the same as console and pc versions. If they're using that logic then many console version of games should be docked significantly in score because they pale in comparison to the PC version.

Great game. Buy it.
  23. May 14, 2014
    Very good game, graphics are pretty, and gameplay is fun. It is obviously scaled down for the vita but is still a great and fun game. While I have yet to play a console version, I bought the ps3 version just because of this.
  24. May 16, 2014
    Best Vita game ever, and I have them all. GET THIS GAME! GET IT GET THE GAME. I AM AMAZED BY THE FACT THAT THEY GOT THIS RUNNING ANG LOOKING SO GOOD ON THE VITA. ITS BORDERLANDS IN YOUR HANDSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!
  25. May 7, 2014
    VITA OWNERS: FEARS BE GONE. I have had my fears and doubts about Borderlands 2 being brought to the Vita, especially after a month or so ago when all the game covering websites were talked about how much trouble it was in. Rest assured, I bought the slim bundle (which feels great btw) so I could get an early copy of Borderlands 2, and let me tell you, it plays fantastic. THIS is why IVITA OWNERS: FEARS BE GONE. I have had my fears and doubts about Borderlands 2 being brought to the Vita, especially after a month or so ago when all the game covering websites were talked about how much trouble it was in. Rest assured, I bought the slim bundle (which feels great btw) so I could get an early copy of Borderlands 2, and let me tell you, it plays fantastic. THIS is why I bought my original vita, being promised real games on the go. This is the best experience you could have with the PS Vita right now. It's Borderlands 2 on the go, it plays great, it looks great, it's exactly what I wanted as a Sony and BL2 Fan.

Things to note about the Vita port criticisms:
    1) Yes, it's a shame you max out at 2 player co-op instead of 4. However, for me, I love that I can cross-save my characters and bring my toons with me to level up, get some gear, or just quest around. However, I think 4 characters would be far to busy for the Vita screen and I think lowering the enemy count makes the game feel balanced and never overwhelming. (Also, seeing enemies explode into a pool of blood instead of falling on the ground is JUST as satisfying).
    2) Controls honestly feel great. Sure, it's not going to be as solid and accurate as a ps3 controller experience, but it still feels great. I haven't played it on my original vita yet, but on the slim I haven't had any issues with the back touch screen. Hitting the back to sprint and melee has worked just fine, and touching for a grenade through feels fantastic (although the least accurate, can be hard to aim).
    3) It looks great. Sure, they had to dumb down some of the graphics and lower view distances, but it's still the best looking game on the Vita right now.
    4) Framerate and Loadtimes: the framerate is fine, I have yet to be killed by any of the rare framerate dips. I will say the loadtimes suck... but the maps are so big that you really only notice it if you're jumping back and forth from Sanctuary.

In short, if you are a Vita owner, and you have been excited about this since it was announced, fire off all the rounds, and throw your exploding gun at whatever worries you may have had. Borderlands 2 Vita is what we have all been waiting for.
  26. May 12, 2014
    Fantastic port of Borderlands. Who could expect better from a mobile version that is the full console version? Graphics are great, controls function much better than I expected, and there is a ton of content to chew through. I encourage any Vita owner to get this great game.
  27. May 14, 2014
    Great game , the vita's best along with killzone mercs, Don't trust the IGN review (the worst reviewer i have ever read) and buy this now. Slight issues with framerate but no big gamebreaker. How they squeezed this onto a vita I never know ! Now more big AAA games on vita please.......

28. May 6, 2014
    This is definitely borderlands 2 the way that you remember on consoles. A couple tweaks in controls which are customizable, and some other small things that just take some adjusting to are different. But this is not a watered down version from what I've played so far. Good times.
  29. May 9, 2014
    I still can't believe I'm playing this on my Vita. Just finished killing Bunker, and I am loving it. Plays great. Looks amazing. I hope they bring more Borderlands content to the Vita!
  30. May 8, 2014
    Great game that suffers from some frame rate issues, Packed with content and everything feels very borderlands. Check nyu727 on youtube for a more in depth video review.

1. Jul 13, 2014
    As soon as you are used to the somewhat clumsy controls, Borderlands 2 on PS Vita is again a great adventure that keeps you engaged for more than 50 hours.
    Framerate issues and miniature texts bordering on the unreadable indicates that this is (sadly) just a quick and cheap port that’s a far cry from the majesty of the full-fledged versions of the game.
  3. Jul 8, 2014
    Not so nice to watch, hard to handle and full of glitches, this new entry isn't really what we were waiting for.