4.8

1. Nov 16, 2012
    This game is tough to review because it depends so much on what each individual was expecting because of the COD name. If you wanted a great single player campaign then look elsewhere. The campaign here is divided up into about 15 short missions exactly like Unit 13. AI is sub-par and there is no story to grab onto anywhere. It is simply a dud.
    If you are looking for a COD multiplayer
    experience then for the most part I would have to say it is here. It has all the familiar elements of COD such as killstreaks and custom classes. The online games are 4 vs. 4 but don't let that fool you, they actually seem perfect due to the scaled down map sizes. The controls are smooth(after a little sensitivity tweaking in options) and after a little time the touch screen grenades actually aren't all that bad. The graphics are much better than we were shown in the trailers too. All in all, this game perfectly fills a void in my vita collection but it may not for everyone. I would buy this game again. Expand
  2. Nov 16, 2012
    I`ts far from perfect, but it`s getting pounded to death by critics a little bit much. Maybe reviewers would have cut it way more slack if this was on 3DS, despite the differences in hardware. Vita games are being so thoroughly dissected, in search of that PERFECT PS3 experience on a handheld that most good games that deserve better ratings are being badly reviewed just for not reaching the home console status, that just don`t exist in reality. And i don`t consider this to be Sony`s fault: nobody promised my the SAME PS3 experience on Vita, just that it was going to be the most powerful handheld console on the market (true). I see it as a case of impossible expectations in general. That being said, i had fun with Declassified, despite it`s many faults. Expand
  3. Nov 17, 2012
    I cant believe the critic reviews on this game. Yeah its not perfect but does it deserve scores as low as a 3?!?!? no. This is from the same company that made resistance burning skies. That game didnt score the best either but I gave it a 6.5-7. Call of Duty Declassified expands on the resistance idea and brings an almost console like call of duty mulitplayer on a handheld. Its got create a class, killstreaks, perks and all that jazz. It's certainly not as good as a console game but for short bursts of 15-20 minute gameplay its freaking awesome. The campaign is pretty poor. its only a little over an hour long but it has replay value with the star system you earn for each level. Of course if you compare this to a console call of duty it would get a score of a 3 or 4. But if you dont expect too much, and realize this is on a handheld with dual sticks?? Its a fun game. Expand
  4. Nov 17, 2012
    Bought the Limited Bundle edition hoping they'd be some sort of unique design to the iteration, like a call of duty logo on the back. It was my first PS Vita so I dropped my money in with the mentality that I was just buying the PS vita on sale and it just so happened to come with the COD game so if it sucked, I wouldn't be at a lost.

I have to say the game is just the worst game I have
    experienced in such a long time. In fact, Modern Warfare on the iOS tablets have more subsistence than this game.

People that are justifying the sloppy single player and the worst AI by saying its a MP centric game is clearly in delusion. To say not to expect a console counterpart on a handheld doesn't excuse the national tragedy Nhilistic has brought upon the COD Franchise. They guy that said he took 7 hours to complete.. has to be one of the worst player ever because this game takes around 30minutes to defeat in any difficulty.. I've never seen a game finish that fast, even on a phone .99$ game.
  5. Nov 17, 2012
    The multi-player in this game is a ton of fun. i rarely touch single player on COD games so i can't comment on that part of this game. Even though it is a stripped down version of the console experience, i it is still very easy to let yourself get immersed in the action and realize you've been playing for hours. sometimes the game dumps me back to the main menu or gives an error. but this was more common the first day or two i owned it. the past few days have been fine. the controls are fine with everything but grenades i find. if you hold the grenade with your right hand thumb, you cannot turn your character which can sometimes be necessary. you either have the drag your thumb back to the grenade icon to cancel the throw, or just toss it away. aiming, firing, turning are all fine.

I never have a problem finding a multiplayer match, regardless of what time of the day or evening it is.

the only time i feel that a map is cramped is when its more than 2v2 in nuketown. even still, it is still fun - just more hectic, and not very far off, scale wise, from a particular map in one of the modern warfare maps that i cannot think of the name off off hand. The rest of the maps more than big enough for 4v4. I have not experienced any other glitches with graphics or anything else.

i would not buy the ps vita for this game alone. but i would recommend buying a vita for everything the system has to offer which is a great gaming device with a beautiful screen, that has a collection of games including this one that you will spend a lot of time enjoying.

pros:
    -great multiplayer experience in the palm of your hand
    -slimmed down version of the console games

cons:
    -price is higher than most vita games
    -some flaws experienced early on with dumping me back to the main menu during multi-player, but those have not happened recently.
  6. Nov 17, 2012
    I took the plunge after hearing mixed reviews on both extremes. Nihilistic has a chip on their shoulder, especially with their last vita release debacle Resistance. I was pleasantly surprised that the multiplayer is actually quite good. I am pleased with the multiplayer and it is really addictive. I haven't had any major connection problems. For those whining about the single player campaign, we all know that games like these we buy for the multiplayer! The graphics are good and although it may not be the grand slam, Nihilistic has redeemed themselves from Resistance. I bought Resistance and that was just horrid, both single and multiplayer in Resistance was horrid. Needless to say, I traded that deplorable game. Expand
  7. Nov 17, 2012
    Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified is a total nonsense game that relies only on the name of the franchise to offer an unfinished product with numerous errors. A title totally expendable and it adds nothing to the catalog of Vita.
  8. Nov 18, 2012
    Garbage like most vita games.Half ass made game and robbery at 50 bucks. I am not selling my ps vita i have owned just about every game and need 4 speed is the only game like the cousole. Nail in the coffen for the vita with big name garbage
  9. Nov 19, 2012
    It's not perfect, not bad... just a great game for standalone special ops and multiplayer. Multipalyer it's fun, with classes and all.

Forget the campaign, stupid AI, short... etc.

Would be a great purchase if you want to play special ops on your freetime or waste time playing on multiplayer.
  10. Nov 19, 2012
    Nihilistic is getting thrown to the wolves by Activision. The savage reviews and frothing rage are completely out of context and misdirected. The original schedule for this title was 2 years. 18 months were spent by two studios who could not make it run at better than 10 FPS on Vita. NSI was brought in to save Activision from their own disaster. There was no concurrent development during the production of Burning Skies. From a cold start they made this game in six months. And no, this is not a re-skinned Resistance. A lot of new tech was written for it. Given the circumstances and time frame this was an amazing achievement.

Achievement Unlocked: Game Crunch Warrior!
    Make a solid Hand-Held FPS in 1/4 of a realistic schedule

The price was not set by the studio, it was set by the publisher. The limited scope of the game was dictated purely by the ludicrously short amount of time they had.

Quit kicking the studio that pulled off a miracle. Save your venom for the publisher that set this whole debacle up.

@codbod_insider
  11. Nov 20, 2012
    Let me just start off by saying I have been a big call of duty fan since CoD Modern Warfare the original on the Xbox console, and have owned all but WaW. I got my PS Vita because it is the highest quality portable system, with much greater graphics than the PSP, with graphics much more comparable to those of the PS3 or Xbox 360. Black Ops Declassified looks very nice on the Vita (graphically speaking), and has wowed many people I know who simply glance at it and can tell it is a Call of Duty game by the similarities of all of the character animations and guns. I waited to review until after I played through everything, and am overall impressed with this game. The campaign is definitely short, especially if you only try to beat it on the easiest difficulty level (there are three difficulty levels). It took me about 3 hours to beat it on the easiest level, and I intend on redoing it on each level on a harder difficulty. There are also many fun trophy achievements to try to achieve as well, that you can attain from both the campaign and hostiles mode. The multiplayer mode of this game is honestly buggy at times, but 90% of the time I try a multiplayer game, it works with no problems at all. The multiplayer is fast paced and addictive (especially with a friend in your lobby playing with flawless Vita voice chat), and ranking up and customizing classes also very closely resembles the original console multiplayer. My biggest disappointment with this game besides the sometimes annoying AI, is the absence of Nazi Zombies (and even multiplayer hostiles is missing, which was very surprising to me). Hostiles is very fun at times, but is not even close to the caliber of fun as the classic zombies, and feels empty in comparison. Overall, I rate this game a 7.5 (8 rounding up) and feel that people should stop comparing it to the PS3 and Xbox 360's Black Ops and Black Ops II, because it is not a console game and is the first of its kind on this platform. This game certainly does not deserve to be rated worse than Spy Hunter or Silent Hill just because it does not exceed the console version of Black Ops. I would definitely recommend this game to any fan of FPS games, as this is a great step for it in the right direction for the PS Vita. Expand
  12. Nov 21, 2012
    Having moderate experience with recent Call of Duty games (the last played online being Call of Duty 4), Black Ops declassified can be generalized as the typical Call of Duty game nowadays - rushed through development to be put out onto the market to bring in the cash. Thankfully, this game won't be bringing Activision much revenue as it is simply a poor game.
    The singleplayer options are
    absolutely atrocious. What little saving grace new Call of Duty games have nowadays - their campaign stories - have been omitted from this bare bone of a game. The missions are individual and unrelated, there is no story providing incentive to play the next one, checkpoints have been omitted meaning that if you die at the last second in a mission, you will have to replay the entire mission from the beginning. This provides nothing but frustration and even taking into account that Black Ops: Declassified has been developed with the idea of a portable, easy to get in and out of game, it feels like the devs have taken simplification too far.

The multiplayer whilst retaining the enjoyable and rewarding gameplay of past entries in the franchise is rife with bugs and inconsistencies. You will be lucky to successfully load one game in three, as the game simply kicks you back to the multiplayer menu with no reason and no errors to report. The maps are miniature (as in the backyard of a house) and you will often spawn with an enemy either in your sights or aiming at your head.
    Customization options are however acceptable and have some levels of depth, but then again, that is expected of a game in today's FPS genre.

My verdict? Unless you're a die-hard CoD fan with a Vita and money to burn, don't bother.
  13. Nov 24, 2012
    What is wrong with you people? This has to be the most awesome fps ever made for a handheld. Forget what these sad reviewers are saying, the online multi ROCKS! Its got the perks, the challenges, smooth game play, great graphics and killstreaks. Reviewers these days on a handheld amaze me, how far the gaming world has come, great work. Oh, don't give a game a bad review because you get owned, go play Lego and leave the reviewing to the big boys, OK? Expand
  14. Nov 29, 2012
    I dont know what the problem is with all the "Critic" reviews but this game kicks ass if you want COD on the go. I play multiplayer all day at work on our wifi and its awesome. Really works well.......I think they tweaked the log on process from the first week of release....much better now. I even dig the offline modes in this game. Sure the AI is not perfect but its ok to good. Awesome VITA game.....go get it. Expand
  15. Dec 2, 2012
    The multi player is actually quite good fun if you can get in.... However the game is so buggy I only manage to get online 2 times out of 10 I've submitted more bug reports than I can remember its just an epic fail. What a terrible game that could of been so much more. I'm glad I got it bundled with my Vita and didn't pay the full $50.
  16. Dec 8, 2012
    I was thinking for two weeks to decide on buying this game because of bad "professional" reviews.. Finaly I bought it second hand so I did not take too much risk. I only play multiplayer and I simply dont't fiund the issues described in the reviews of sites.. I can get in to a battle mostly for the first time I try, no waiting, no disconnect. The maps are perfectly sized for the amount of players, they are not small at all! Graphics could have been better but at least frame rate is good, not like in AC Lberation. I think that's not a perfect game but far more good than in the reviews like IGN's. It's great fun in multiplayer! Expand
  17. Dec 27, 2012
    This game is just horrible. The single player mode is ridiculously short, the IA sucks (I've seen enemies shoot a wall, throw grenades that kill themselves or just run in circles even though I'm there), the controls feel awkard and the missions are just boring.

Usually the on-line is the main reason to buy a CoD game is the on-line mode, but in CoD: BOD the on-line mode doesn't work,
    the game keeps kicking me out of every lobby for no reason (and it's not my connection, everything else works fine, hell, I can play the PS3 CoDs without any problem) and the only time I got to play, one of the players was invincible and could not be killed.

Those problems were supposedly fixed with an update, but after I downloaded the 400 MB patch, it still works as bad as the first day, the only difference being that the game doesn't freeze anymore after I'm kicked of a lobby.

Graphically the game is okay, textures and models are bad looking, and light effects are nothing special.

The OST couldn't be more awful, they could put no music and it wouldn't be noticeable. The sound effects are generic.

This game is not worth buying, it should be a 3$ iOS game.
  18. Dec 29, 2012
    Pros: It's COD on the Vita!
    Cons: Everything else. Glitchy, poor performer. This game is not doing FPS on the Vita any favours! The multiplayer is not fun, nor are the missions. I really wanted this to work, but it doesn't. And believe me, I persisted!
  19. Sep 7, 2013
    This game is really fun.Yea the single-player isnt that great,but if you like multiplayer fps games,this game is for you.I am telling you this game is really fun.
  20. Apr 3, 2013
    This game is awesome, a lot of people hate it simply for the fact that it isn't a blockbuster Call of Duty that were use to on the console but for a portable on the go shooter it is really great. Hostile mode will keep you busy for any long bus or train ride to or from school/work. Campaign although short it's simply more about doing the missions at your fastest time. Stop being so critical and enjoy this game for what it was meant to be a on the go fast paced first person shooter Expand
  21. Apr 4, 2013
    Im giving it a 9 I love this game on my vita! I think the reason why its getting bad rating is because people compare it to console version and I think that's dumb! This is a portable fps. So I think as a portable fps, it's very fun! I recommend this game for sure. Good job Nihilistic!
  22. Apr 14, 2013
    After reading a lot of reviews on this game, I must admit I haven't touched the single player aspect of this game. Multiplayer, however, I've spent many hours with. Aside from often having to make 2-3 attempts to join a match, I haven't run into many connectivity problems. Once I'm able to join a game I am able to coast along from match to match without issue.

Game play exceeds my
    expectations, which based on the stigma surrounding this game were pretty low to begin with. Graphics are decent and feels smoother that Resistance. I think the reason this game gets a bad rap is that with the vita, it's easy to forget you're playing a handheld. I can identify with that feeling after playing UC and LBP on the Vita, both really maintained the feel of the console counterpart with some added functionality for the Vita. Declassified however, is without a doubt feels watered down in relation to the console installments of the series. But in relation to a handheld experience it's pretty solid.

I rate this a 7 because, while not "great," this game does offer a solid online fps experience for a handheld system. If something like this would have found it's way on to the PSP I think people would have gone nuts over it. I've played both this and Resistance: Burning Skies multiplayer, and BO: Declassified is much more fun due to the kill streaks and perks.

In the end, is the game worth the $50? Hell no. I think $30 would be much more appropriate. If you can find the game for around 30 bucks and enjoy online shooters, pick it up without hesitation. Otherwise, it would probably be a good idea to wait until you find such a deal.
  23. Aug 3, 2013
    this is one of the worst games i ever play its is so bad that i cried hint hint big black ops fan so yeah. the worst thing is the whole game they need a whole new storyline
  24. Sep 1, 2013
    I sold my other Vita before this came out, so I just got another Vita, and this game was one of the top had to plays on my list. So I really only play multiplayer so that is what I am reviewing. This is the first COD I have played since Black Ops 1 that doesn't lag in multiplayer, it's simple, gameplay is fun, it's just not overdone with too much extras, the big minus is the maps are too small. I like tight maps but that's all there is here, some diversity would have been nice. Expand
  25. Nov 3, 2013
    I am a fanboy of CoD and I love it, I know that is worst than other Call of Duty and other game but think that you are playing it in a portable and is not the same as a PS3 or XBOX 360 for example.
  26. Dec 2, 2013
    This sorry excuse for a game made me waste my time and waste 60 bucks. It has a 30 MINUTE campaign mode full of bugs and glitches, a poor A.I. and a unplayable multiplayer. Ignore the positive reviews, they're people paid by Treyarch to give good reviews OR CoD fanboys that can't admit that there is a bad CoD game. Don't dare touch a copy of this game, if it even can be called a game!
  27. Feb 14, 2014
    There is indeed a game here. It IS fun. It IS indeed a COD game on a handheld. However, Its as though they've never actually played their own finished product. There are so many niggling refinements that need to be made and without them it makes for a VERY frustrating experience. The AI know where you are at ALL times. They are already shooting you before you come around the corner. On top of that, whenever you are shot, your aim jumps 20 feet up so its impossible to bring it back down to shoot the guy that is shooting you. There are invisible objects, and things you just get stuck on. If you are an achievement hunter, this game will frustrate you beyond anything imaginable. Unfortunately, trophy hunting is the only way to keep playing the single player. Its VERY short. It takes longer to get through all of the annoying slow motion "cut-scenes" at the beginning when you have to repeat play for 3 stars. Expand

1. Declassified feels like a disappointing DLC bundle rather than a full release. In its best moments it proves that Call of Duty could work on the console, and it has some good ideas – earning XP across single-player for multiplayer unlocks is particularly neat – but it's exceptionally hard to justify how this ended up with a $70 price tag. The very best PS Vita games have proven that, in the portable market, size can still matter. This lesson has, ironically, been ignored by gaming's biggest franchise. [January 2013, p76]
  2. Jan 23, 2013
    This'll remind you of the very worst PSone FPS games. [Issue#227, p.77]
  3. Jan 14, 2013
    This game should have stayed classified or, at the very least, been redacted.