7.6

1. Jan 29, 2014
    If you are a die-hard Dragon Ball Z fan, Battle of Z tries to properly emulate the crazy action that takes place during a battle in the DBZ universe. While the visual aspect is dazzling (with cool blast effects, epic ultimate move animations, plentiful cut-scenes, etc), the game loses some of the complexity older games had, by implementing a more simplistic, casual fighting system. EvenIf you are a die-hard Dragon Ball Z fan, Battle of Z tries to properly emulate the crazy action that takes place during a battle in the DBZ universe. While the visual aspect is dazzling (with cool blast effects, epic ultimate move animations, plentiful cut-scenes, etc), the game loses some of the complexity older games had, by implementing a more simplistic, casual fighting system. Even with tweaking the button play a bit, melee attacks are limited to about 3 different melee combos and 4 special attacks, leaving very little room for variation. The game tries to make up for this by animating every punch and kick to make it look like it REALLY hurts, but fans looking for a complex battle system will be slightly disappointed. It makes up a bit for it with light customization options though.

As far as different modes of play, Battle of Z has quite a few to offer with a lengthy story mode, co-op, and 8 battle free-for-alls. Although, co-op is pretty awesome, the fun can be slightly marred by connection and lag issues, slowing things down to a crawl. However, I was still able to have a blast in a few battles. Battle mode is a different story. With 8 different fighters going at it, it's severely chaotic and can be super frustrating. One point that may make or break decisions to buy the game is the complete lack of a computer (CPU) versus mode. If you like going 1V1 against a computer, or if you like setting up 100% customized battles, you're out of luck. You're only option is to create your dream team and replay missions, which is unfortunate.

Overall, the game, while with its flaws, still remains an enjoyable option for any Vita owner, and I have had a lot of fun with it personally. While battles may feel slightly repetitive at times, the large roster of over 70 characters makes up for it by giving the player different abilities that can be experimented with and customized. There is currently a demo in the PS Store, so if you'd like to check it out first, I'd recommend it, as it definitely may not be for everyone.
  2. Jan 31, 2014
    DBZ: Battle of Z feels like it was made for the Vita, the presentation looks incredible on the Vita, even better than consoles in some aspects. The missions just feels like a pick up and play in attitude, whilst the missions are stupidly restrictive, they are very fun!

The co-op is the best feature in this game, working with people online to complete missions is a Blast, though lag is

Blast, though lag is a major issue, if you find a good party, it can run smoothly.

The battle mode is a bit more chaotic and can cause a lot of errors, but I'm hoping namco can sort it out in the future.

Overall this game impressed me more on the vita than the console versions, it is a much better fit to the handheld, with some great graphics and attack effects and a unique, but restrictive mission structure and lack of local coop or CPU Vs makes this short of an a Great DBZ game. But its a massive improvement over the previous efforts. 8/10
  3. Feb 11, 2014
    You can't give the game a 0 and say you enjoyed it. The game is a 7-8/10. It's definitely nothing like the rest, but to me that's a refreshing take on the DBZ series. It's fun and great for any fan. For none fans I'd probably recommend a price drop or a pass. It's a fun game but what makes it most fun is the fact that the characters you love are in it.

I'm rating it a 10 to balance out

I'm rating it a 10 to balance out the biased and ridiculous reviews.
  4. Jan 30, 2014
    love the game for the first time 8 characters can be on the same screen and it feel more like the actual show . the boss battle in the game are amazing and they really capture the feel of the anime series. Also they brought cool customization options like being able to change you characters color, and even tho this is a small thing it feels pretty awesome. I also like to add thatlove the game for the first time 8 characters can be on the same screen and it feel more like the actual show . the boss battle in the game are amazing and they really capture the feel of the anime series. Also they brought cool customization options like being able to change you characters color, and even tho this is a small thing it feels pretty awesome. I also like to add that co-op works fantastic. If you a fan of the dragon ball series give this game a try. Expand
  5. Apr 23, 2014
    An enjoyable addition to the franchise with the Dragon Ball Z characters that all fans know and love. This game would still be fun for newcomers of the DBZ franchise. The battle system may not be perfect but it still works very nicely and the story is very replayable.
  6. Jun 6, 2014
    I hate when i have to give a game 10, when it actually isn't just because of people that give it 0 and say it's not boudokai tenkaichi. Well it's not. In reality game is 7.5-8.

Game is built around a brawl. If you except that it's a brawler you will have fun. There are combos, which may be quite hard to pull off, if you know what you're doing. THe essence of the game is that you

THe essence of the game is that you different classes of fighters that exceed in some way. Ki char. (vegeta, piccolo...) are good from distance (this does not mean you cannot go melee). They are able to BARRAGE enemies with ki blasts. Melee char (goku...) exceed in melee combat and they can break enemies guard and have more hp. Interfere type they have some crowd control of some sort, or combo breakers or something like that (piccolo is ki+interfere. He can extend his hand and catch the enemy from a distance, cell unevolved (lvl1) can suck stamina and hp from enemies etc.). SUpport (krillin, gohan kid...) they are healers and stamina fillers. And then you make your own team with everything you want and then you finish a ton of missions and have mp.
  7. Jan 14, 2015
    If you are like me that grew up watching the cartoons, you will definitely like this game. It captures the essence of the fights and i really like the fact you can choose your team and fight against several opponents at same time. It reminds me a lot of Dragon Ball in the old Sega Saturn.
    Sure, it has a few problems like the camera that goes crazy sometimes and you got very few combos to play with. They compensate that with an insane roster.

I recommend this game if you liked the cartoons and you would like to relieve those fights again. If not, i guess you should pass this one.

1. Feb 14, 2014
    With a shallow combat system and boring mission structure and unbalanced online function, Battle of Z is not for the faint of heart and can easily be skipped, but if you REALLY want to play a Dragon Ball Z game you could do a lot worse.
  2. Feb 6, 2014
    Fun though that may be, it won't take long until you're craving more, and unless you're a hardcore fan, Battle of Z doesn't have that to offer.
  3. Feb 3, 2014
    Battle of Z is not the best DBZ's videogame, but fans should enjoy it in PSVita.