Guacamelee! PlayStation Vita

8.3

1. Aug 23, 2013
    This game is super fun at first but the platforming gets harder. In other words, I do not recommend this game for young children or people like myself with the reflexes of young children. It got to a point where I just had to stop playing because it requires you to have quick reflexes to advance at a certain point.
  2. Sep 10, 2013
    I can´t say i understand why this game has gotten so much positive publicity. Sure it´s a funny little platform´er, but that is really all it is! Guacamelee! is an example of a platform game done right, but here is no originality to make it stand out, like in other games like Braid or Limbo. My verdict is that Guacamelee! is a funny little platform game nothing more nothing less..
  3. Sep 7, 2015
    I realized what I liked about the Metroid games when playing this--the adventurous sci-fi world and its atmosphere, and you being alone in it to explore--two element which Guacamelee! lacks altogether.
  4. Apr 17, 2013
    A week on from it's EU and US launch on the Playstation Store, Guacamelee is enjoying critical success, and for good reason, it's amazing. However, for anyone still sitting on the fence, I thought I'd chime in and add some brief impressions of my own.

Not only is Guacamelee a fabulous Metroidvania-style platformer with an emphasis on deeply satisfying 2D brawling, it get just about everything else right too! With beautiful art, a great soundtrack, nuanced platforming, and gameplay that's both challenging and savagely addictive, all the ingredients required to make a truly great video game are present and correct here. And with support for Sony's cross-buy service thrown in for good measure, DrinkBox's delicious side scroller represents stunning value too.

So we now know that it's a great game, but how does Guacamelee compare to similarly specced PSN titles from Playstation Vita's rapidly expanding library? In a word, well. Exceptionally well in fact. It's certainly classier and far more rounded than fellow 2D 'open world' adventure, Knytt Underground. It's more expansive and packs in much more content than DrinkBox's debut foray onto the Vita scene, Mutant Blobs Attack. And it provides a stiffer, more rewarding challenge than Rocketbirds. But perhaps most telling of all, it's even prettier than one of the very finest, most beautiful 2D platformers of this generation, Rayman Origins! While I don't doubt that many will find that last statement particularly controversial, that doesn't make it any less true.

And similarly to the escapades of Ubisofts limbless mascot in his latest Origins and Legends adventures, DrinkBox has created a wonderfully playful and utterly gorgeous, cartoon-themed world that's every bit as wonderfully unique as it is beautiful to behold.

Whether you're fourteen or forty, Guacamelee is an utterly compelling and absolutely essential download that represents Vita gaming at it's astonishing best. And if you hadn't guessed already, I simply cannot recommend it highly enough!

9.5 out of 10

1. Hyper Magazine
    Jun 10, 2013
    A vibrant, compact and ruthlessly difficult Metroidvania let down only slightly by its own (occasionally) insufferable self-awareness. [July 2013, p.81]
  2. May 21, 2013
    It plays like a dream, it's nice to look at, it can be funny as all get out and it just feels like the real deal, a complete experience just shy of masterpiece status.
  3. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    May 21, 2013
    Easily one of the best downloadable titles on the Vita. Grab it pronto. [June 2013, p80]