Guacamelee! PlayStation Vita

8.3

1. Aug 23, 2013
    This game is super fun at first but the platforming gets harder. In other words, I do not recommend this game for young children or people like myself with the reflexes of young children. It got to a point where I just had to stop playing because it requires you to have quick reflexes to advance at a certain point.
  2. Sep 10, 2013
    I can´t say i understand why this game has gotten so much positive publicity. Sure it´s a funny little platform´er, but that is really all it is! Guacamelee! is an example of a platform game done right, but here is no originality to make it stand out, like in other games like Braid or Limbo. My verdict is that Guacamelee! is a funny little platform game nothing more nothing less..
  3. Sep 7, 2015
    I realized what I liked about the Metroid games when playing this--the adventurous sci-fi world and its atmosphere, and you being alone in it to explore--two element which Guacamelee! lacks altogether.
  4. Apr 23, 2013
    Guacamelee! is a perfect example of a game that is more than the sum of its parts. It weaves together all its elements its Metroid-inspired level design and skill progression, its endearingly charming representation of Dia de los Muertos and its simple yet effective combat and controls and meshes them together to create something that stands out as a masterfully executed, well-roundedGuacamelee! is a perfect example of a game that is more than the sum of its parts. It weaves together all its elements its Metroid-inspired level design and skill progression, its endearingly charming representation of Dia de los Muertos and its simple yet effective combat and controls and meshes them together to create something that stands out as a masterfully executed, well-rounded package that pretty much accomplishes all it set out to do.

After consideration, I decided to put my review on its Vita page as that is where I ended up spending most of my time, though it's worth pointing out that both the Vita and PS3 versions are sublime, and they interact flawlessly, whether you're transferring saves over or using the Vita as a second controller for player 2 on the PS3. If you own either (or both!) of these consoles, you should really think about picking up Guacamelee!

1. Hyper Magazine
    Jun 10, 2013
    A vibrant, compact and ruthlessly difficult Metroidvania let down only slightly by its own (occasionally) insufferable self-awareness. [July 2013, p.81]
  2. May 21, 2013
    It plays like a dream, it's nice to look at, it can be funny as all get out and it just feels like the real deal, a complete experience just shy of masterpiece status.
  3. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    May 21, 2013
    Easily one of the best downloadable titles on the Vita. Grab it pronto. [June 2013, p80]