8.5

1. Jul 1, 2013
    A high-style gloriously violent indie gem with challenging yet addictive gameplay with a killer soundtrack behind it and tons of unlockables to collect. Buy it now.
  2. Jun 26, 2013
    This is an example of well-made indie game that made it's way to the PS3 and PS Vita. If you never played Hotline Miami on PC, buy it. If you have it on PC but have a PS3 or PS Vita, buy it again. It is a very fun game.
  3. Jul 28, 2013
    It's fun, but repetetive. Frustrating and challenging, but not always fair. The controls are awkward and the story is nonsense. I generally love pixel graphics but these graphics are kind of ugly. It looks like everything was made in MS Paint. Quite fun, but very overrated game. Wierd hit detection too.
  4. Jul 1, 2013
    Let me start out by saying I enjoy this game, and I never played the computer version. Also this game is EXTREMELY FUN! I don't understand the story that much, but what i get is that you have to kill everybody in the house without dying. Now the people with shotguns are WAY to good, they get me every single time. It's frustrating, but fun. Also to get an A+ grade seems nearly impossible. That may be why I eventually give up on this game. They make it so hard, that it is frustrating. Also the $10 price is nice, and even though it is cross buy, I really don't see myself playing this too much on my ps3. It is best on the vita.

PROS: great price, platinum trophy, cross buy and cross save, lots of replay value, fun gameplay
    CONS: Extremely hard to beat levels, also hard to get A+ grades which makes the platinum trophy extremely hard, and frustration makes you want to give up.
  5. Jun 27, 2013
    This is one of the many examples of a well-made indie game that made it's way to the PS3 and PS Vita. If you never played Hotline Miami on PC, buy it. If you have it on PC but have a PS3 or PS Vita, buy it again. It is an unmissable, epic game.
  6. Jun 27, 2013
    While this looks good and still an awesome game, there's something that must bother some people: To lock-on a target, you must use the touch-screen or the square button.
    I was really excited to play this on the PSVita, but making the game harder like that is making me regret (a little) for this purchase.
    If they update the game with the possibility to lock-on with the rear-touch, I would
    enjoy it even more.
    It's better to play it on PS3 for now.
  7. Dec 21, 2013
    I've played this on the PS3 as well, and I have to say that this game feels much more at home on the Vita. All of the complaints I have with the controls for the PS3 version are not an issue here and because of that I found myself completing levels much easier and with more precision than I could on the PS3. Even the graphics, which were already bright and colorful on PS3, seem to be more vivid on the Vita. All of these improvements makes the Vita the system I prefer to play this game on.

It's easier to pull off more precise shots because the analog sticks of the Vita allow for more fluid twin-stick shooter style controls. Being able to simply tap the enemies location on screen in order to lock on just feels more natural than the PS3 version's more awkward controls. It's still the exact same game. Enemy AI is still iffy at times and it can be very frustrating, but in the end this is the way I recommend experiencing this game, just because of the lack of cheap and unfair feeling deaths.

So if you haven't experienced this bizarre and incredibly violent throwback to the gory 80's flicks of old, then this is a great way to. In my opinion it is the best way to. It's a lot of fun to be able to take it with you, and the cross-save functionality is very awesome. Regardless of what system you choose to play it on "Hotline Miami" is an experience unlike any other. If you have not yet played it you really need to.
  8. Feb 27, 2014
    killer soundtrack - slick gameplay - fun missions - interesting graphics - and intriguing story. Hotline miami is a perfect game for the vita and provides a great pick and play game that always has you coming back for more. The gameplay provides for great bursts of action and allows the stylish violence of the game to show off how great the game looks. the soundtrack is one of the best videogame soundtracks ever released providing electro tunes that add to the experience that this game provides. a must own for vita owners and seeing as this game can be picked up for around 5 dollars it is a steal. Expand
  9. Sep 5, 2013
    Here's a pretty brisk mini review for Playstation's (Vita and PS3) latest and greatest indie offering, Hotline Miami. But why so brisk, why so mini, I here you cry? Because, try as I might, I just can't seem to tear myself away from Miami's clutches for a single moment more than is absolutely necessary. And certainly not without succumbing to the grabby pangs of it's on-tap, massacre-on-the-go addiction, and falling fail to the ensuing neon-flavoured cold turkey!

Cluck. Man, this game rocks. Cluck, cluck.

I'll endeavour to pop back with some more detailed impressions in a while. Perhaps once I'm done playing through each of Hotline Miami's off-the-charts, bonkers chapters, once more. Nah, who am I kidding? Not once, not twice, but thrice! Aaarrrrgh, did I mention that this is one insanely addictive shooter?

Hotline Miami looks, sounds and more importantly, plays spectacularly (particularly on Vita), and as such, I wholeheartedly recommend heading over to PSN, and grabbing this claret-spilling, gore-tastic, eighties love letter, without delay. Unless you're the sort who's easily offended, or perhaps especially adverse to that old chestnut, videogame violence, I highly doubt you'll regret it.

9.5 out of 10
  10. Dec 31, 2013
    At first glance, I rolled my eyes when I saw the graphics since I’ve played plenty of “retro” type downloadable games only to be disappointed. This one is actually pretty fun. There is definitely a learning curve and it will take some time to learn the “style” of the game like knowing the advantages/disadvantages of the various masks and weapons. There is a ton of trial and error to passing the level, which actually makes the game incredibly fun. Each level gets increasingly more difficult and there are plenty of unlockables. For the cost of a few bucks, it is definitely worth the cost. Expand
  11. Jul 5, 2013
    I was real wishy washy about downloading this game, but I'm very happy I did. This game is a special gem, it's one of those addictive games you can't put down, it gets hard and challenging on the later levels but I wouldn't have it any other way. This game is a instant classic in my book, I love it. Funny thing is I never even heard of this game till a few days ago.
  12. Mar 13, 2014
    Wake up the beast within You and go for this ultra-violence psychedelic ride of bright neon lights and electronic beats of 80s, but don't expect to get out alive.
  13. Oct 26, 2013
    For a 10$ game it's pretty much perfect to me, great pick up and play,enchanting music(it's a must play with headphones for some levels at leastl) I've gone back and played it multiple times which is rare for me, it's a game when I pick up my vita and want a fast fun game session I choose it.

It doesn't overstay its welcome, although a couple more levels wouldn't have hurt. It is very
    violent of course so if that's not your thing your enjoyment may be seriously impacted.

Worth every penny
  14. Jul 28, 2013
    PC players are gonna hate me for saying this but I think this game is best on the vita! It is great for car journeys, in bed, ect. Loads of fun! A great challenge! It's good to see Sony letting indie devs on their platform. Not a thing wrong with this game!
  15. Jun 29, 2013
    I'd like to start by saying that I created an account just to give this game a 10.
    As megamind101 said,this is another example of a indie game that was developed for PS3 and Vita after its success on the PC platform.
    This game has everything a great game needs,and that is:
    Aesthetics,Story,Soundtrack,Gameplay and most importantly,Fun.Even after beating Hotline Miami I couldn't resist
    and played through the game again,not only because its a fun and addicting game but to also collect all the masks and collect all the pieces of the secret puzzle that remained.
    Most people that bought/will buy this game think that it isn't a big deal at all,but don't let yourself be fooled,Hotline Miami is an excellent game that can be bought for a cheap price.
  16. Jul 12, 2013
    Real good game out there, I love it.
    The OST is amazing, featuring real talented artists.
    I just want a longer game !
    The game is really speedrun friendly, powerplay friendly, etc. But the story is quite short.
    I'm still playing it because of the ambiance, which is great. Playing it on the go with the PS VITA is a great plus
  17. Aug 2, 2013
    Couldn't get into this game on PC, but I love it on the Vita. It keeps you wanting to come back for more with each horrible bloody death. Can't wait for the sequel.
  18. Jul 30, 2013
    Hotline miami is great on the Vita system. It is NOT a must have game, but if you have not played it before, I recomend it!
    From times to times you get a little bit angry but you also feel a dose of accomplishment when your done.
  19. Aug 6, 2013
    ................................................................................
    Its a: '2D F**k-em-up' Game
  20. Aug 9, 2013
    This game is crazy and drives you forward until you finished it. Top notch game design in an old school fashion. The soundtrack must be somewhere in the topten for games of all times. Absolute crazy stuff!
  21. Sep 10, 2013
    Everybode that loved the first GTA back in 1997 would find just as much joy in Hotline Miami, as they did in GTA. I´d say Buy this top down arcade shooter if you need a retro fix, it is worth its price tag.
  22. Nov 7, 2013
    When you start the first level, you just can't stop playing unless someone hit you in the real life. That's a perfect game for a pocket format like the PS Vita.
  23. May 9, 2014
    Incredible indie gem, perfectly suitable for PS Vita to the point I would rank this next to Spelunky as the overall best PS Vita port title. Fast-paced action, addictive gameplay, lots of replayability, hard challenges, perfect capture of 80's feeling with the mood, FANTASTIC soundtrack, retro graphics, themes, it's a great ride. Beneath the thick layers of blood and brutality, there is also quite an impressive story that starts off like some kind of a weird psychedelic experience influenced by David Lynch, but ends up being something thought-provoking and interesting. Highly recommended. 9/10 Expand
  24. Dec 23, 2013
    What makes this game so special is, that I never knew I even wanted to play a game like this, but I found myself utterly unable to put my vita down.
    The immediacy of the game play, the speed at which deaths can occur, both the player and the victims of his murderous rampage.
    An ultra violent, relentless assault on the senses, it comes at you with one of the best sound tracks ever put to
    video games, thumping base and electronic beats fill your ears (make sure you wear head phones for this) as you take what ever weapons you can lay your hands on to dispatch who ever stands in your way.
    A near dream like quality to the overall feel of the game add a layer of near psychotic desperation to everything, it is death, restart, death restart all in the blink of an eye. You are not some super power solider who can heal by hiding for a few seconds, you will die, you will die lots and you just keep going as the twisted story plays out before your eyes.
  25. Aug 10, 2014
    This game starts out with a guy telling you how to kill people, and then you go into the Prelude. You think that this will be another fun and easy shooter, and then you get killed... This game kills you IN ONE HIT!! This is quite possibly one of the hardest games I've ever played, And I haven't played Dark Souls yet. However, aside the extremely high difficulty, this indie game is an addictive and fun topdown action game set in 1989. Hotline Miami is developed by a few people at Dennaton Games and published by Devolver Digital and Abstraction Games. This game also has a very catchy, memorable and cool soundtrack. At first glance, the game looks like a topdown, pixelated version of a game like Saints Row (excluding the insane Saints Row 4) or Grand Theft Auto: Vice City. But when you play it, you will find it to be like an extremely difficult but simple topdown indie action game that has a great soundtrack, colourful visuals and fast-paced gory shootouts. There are also a few bosses, which, unlike regular enemies, take more than 1 hit to kill. Overall, Hotline Miami is an addictive, fun and colourful indie game with great music and fast-paced gameplay, it is only slightly let down by its ultra high and frustrating difficulty. One thing is guaranteed is this game, though: YOU WILL DIE. A LOT. There's even a trophy named 'Karma' awarded to you if you die 1000 times. Even though Hotline Miami is a really hard game, I still highly recommend it. And, until late August, it's in the Summer Sale on the PlayStation Store for £3.99/ $5.99. It includes Cross-Buy as well, allowing you to download the PS3 version of Hotline Miami for no extra cost. A must-buy indie game. Expand
  26. Feb 13, 2014
    At first, when this game became a hit, ofcourse I was following it. And I had no intention of playing it. It looked overglorified, sounded awful and made the impression of a overly-violent stupid game. Oh, how wrong I was. I got this game for two reasons - first, I was bored and second - it was dirt cheap on the PSN. I went into this game with negative expectations - I expected to hate it and not even finish it.
    The first thing I noticed were the controls, which on the Vita felt klunky and a bit fidgity, but - spoilers - when I got used to them, now the controls on the PS3 seem awkward. But I still choose the PC version as a definitive, because I got to play that as well, just for comparison.
    First up, I'd like to say that the game doesn't look "amazing", but it looks awesome for what it is. It has high levels of style and overall polish, that suite the feel of the game very much. The game seems to make the correct impression that it isn't using 8bit style just to be "retro-indie" or "because it can", but because it feels right at home. I can't imagine that 3D or even 16bit graphics would work with this game, not in a million years, neither will voice-acting or high-class shadows and reflections - this game looks perfect the way it is, because the developers knew what they were going for and they didn't spare to proove it.
    I did want to quickly get this out of the way - the OST, but then I remembered that I actually have something to say that most critics miss - yes, the soundtrack is good, and yes, when you first hear it you will either love it or hate it (I did hate it), but not only does it perfectly convey the way you should be feeling in that particular momment, which makes it a brilliant pick and blend of sounds, but further more it gets into your ears, mind and, the amazing thing - it gets you into a particular mindset. It's a thing that you truly need to experience, while enjoying the game, to understand.
    And speaking of enjoying the game - this game has amazing gameplay. I see that some of the people who have submited reviews define it as "unfair" and "inconsistent", but that's the thing the game is going for, and seeing comments like this just prooves one sure thing - this game isn't for anyone's tastes. I'm usually not a fan of violance at all, this game got to me on a couple ocassions, but I found the narrative interesting and the gameplay quite addicting, for several important reasons: first of all, the gameplay is easy to understand and execute, but hard to master - this is something I take of value when games do. The game is intended to be unfair and inconsistent, because it has a masked killer handle groups of armed, proffesional killers - people, who in real life, you wouldn't expect to react the same all the time, would you? I think this game has brilliant AI, though it tends to be buggy from time to time, but it's in good fun. The difficulty many of the users describe as "high", but I say that you just need to get used to it - no hand holding here. This is my second main reason for enjoying the gamemplay - it was rewarding. At first I found almost every next stage to get harder and harder to the point of frustration. But once I "got my groove on" and beat the game, after that I noticed that I'm plowing enemies with Dennis just using the knife and enjoying doing so, because I knew and I saw that I was so damn good at it. Which just leads to my final reason for maximum enjoyment - this game made me loose myself. This game made me the cold and heartless killer that the protagonist Jacket is and I grew to love killing these bloaks, just like he grew to not give a damn (not in the sense that I'd go smash someone's head in with a pipe... for now anyways).
    Which brings me to the final point of interest - the story. A lot of controversy going on with this - some people say it's worthless, others that it's genious, and some that it doesn't matter. I find the first and third types of people to be wrong and while I don't think that the story is "genious" or "unique" for that matter, I find it to be very intriguing and well paced and told, which at times is much more important than content. This type of story isn't my thing, I usually detest movies or books in this matter, but this one had something special going for it that I can't quite grasp even now, but I'm sure it has something to do with the fact that it was a game - an experience, and not something I'm simply being a wintess to. I had a lot of fun tying all the things together and reading theories on the internet that I actually had an opinion on, meaning that the game left a mark on me, which, to me, makes it special.
    Overall, the only grudge I have with this game is that it doesn't last forever. I apologize to it because I neglected it, but I enjoyed it none the less.
    My personal rating is 10/10, but since I know it's not the actual rating I'd give, I give 9/10 because of reasons that don't matter in the end. If you get my drift.
  27. Feb 15, 2014
    Brilliant game with a killer soundtrack and 80s style. It reminds me most of the first two Grand Theft Auto games which were amazing. Difficulty can be pretty hardcore at times. Vita version is the best.
  28. May 4, 2014
    Has pretty addictive gameplay, long last appeal, and overall great gameplay. The storyline is meh, but you cant just skip all of it and still have more fun, and the whole level ranking system makes you want to play the game again and again.. Must buy for $10... it's completely amazing for mini-sessions of gameplay when you're bored or something. But I kind of dislike how it doesnt auto-save when you pass a stage or something.. so you basically have to stay in the game if you want to save where you are. Also, on chapter 9 the game crashed two times in the same area.. which was very annoying. Expand
  29. Apr 12, 2014
    this game is completely broken on pc but on vita it is the best indie game i ever played by far. it is one of my favorites vita games. the atmosphere, the music and puzzle based game play are fantastic
  30. May 14, 2014
    This game is amazing. This games fast paced violent top-down view is prof that indie games can not only be as good as big budget games, but might even be better. This brings to the table some great game play, good controls, interesting graphics, great music, interesting story, and it is simply fun to play. This game also proves that graphics are not everything, and what maters most is the game play.

The only problem I see is that after you beat the game. There is not much to go back to. You can go back and get masks you missed, get peaces for the code, or just for the trophies. That is about it.

This game is something that you should not miss. If you have a Ps3, Vita, or PC. Get this game right now. I should point out that if you are going to get this game. You are going to die a lot, so do not rage to much.
    PS, Vita is the best way to go for this game. The controls work well for the Vita, and this game just screams hand held.

1. Aug 31, 2013
    Hotline Miami is a short and bittersweet mix of fast-paced violence and monotonous repetition, where stupendous AI and crazy amounts of randomness interrupt the experience on a regular basis. It’s stylish and mindless fun, but quite annoying nonetheless.
  2. Aug 8, 2013
    Grade A. [Sept 2013, p.81]
  3. Aug 1, 2013
    By turns exciting, disturbing and maniacally enjoyable, Hotline Miami is a true pleasure. Whether it’s a guity one or not is on your conscience.