• Publisher: Atlus
  • Release Date: Nov 20, 2012
9.3

1. Oct 2, 2013
    The storyline people have been raving about...well it's not that great. While it is unique and a different take than the average RPG, which I am very glad for, it's got a lot of boring and infuriating elements to it.

The "heroes" of the story are the least heroic heroes ever. "Eh, let's wait a week to save that guy." "No need to rush in." "Let's stop and discuss this." There's really no men of action on the entire team and it's annoying.

Then there's the high school drama part. If you like those cheesy Japanese anime comedy/dramas, ok then you'll love that. I for one hated it and found it a waste of time.

The gameplay is a mix of a typical turn-based RPG and a Japanese dating sim. So again, if you like Japanese dating sims, amazing game for you...not so much for me. I do like the combat though, the persona system is pretty cool, it's a lot like Devil Summoner (another game by the same people with a better storyline) but in pure old school RPG format.

Voice acting is good, graphics are OK, some of the music is good.

It's a good time-waster, but hardly deserves the overwhelming praise it receives.
  2. UCA
    May 8, 2014
    It's a diffcult game. But I think this game is too simple because you really only can be two skills, dodge an attack and attack with your weapon or magic.
  3. Apr 17, 2013
    Keep in mind that I never played a persona game before. However, I love turn based rpgs. And yes, I realize that this game was made in 2008.

Personally I find much of the game mechanics namely the "sim" part tedious and the game was way too long for its own good. The game expects you to get along and get to know these characters as strong as your friends. However, These characters were two dimensional and uninteresting. Many of the plot points were obvious making the reveal of the mystery feel unsatisfying. Many of the abilities and spells' names were too complicated. I wish the naming of each ability was short and was straight to the point. For example Bufu ice?, agi fire??? The progression in the beggining dragged on and felt slow. Then all of the sudden throws many options of what you can do to spend your time all at once. I also, dislike games that rushes me to do things at a certain date such as majora's mask.

Things I liked
    I liked the abilities that used hp as if it was mana. Being able to Down enemies and follow up with an all-out-attack. I also liked the "1 more" function as well.
  4. Jan 20, 2014
    I tried very, very hard to like this game but I just couldn't. Japenese RPGs are my go to genre and this disappointed me, especially with all the fantastic reviews I saw.

It's different than your usual RPG, which is good, but there is too much going on and I never knew how to spend my time "correctly". I wasn't sure when to level for the next dungeon, and if I was under levelled I had to go back in time a week after my game ended.

The battle system was classic and solid but I hated not being able to leave a dungeon to heal. If you do it skips ahead a day which makes it so you can't do other daily things like raising your social links and such.

The story and characters gripped me however. The story and characters you meet are deep and interesting, for the most part.

I will try playing again one day, but be prepared for something very different. Great ideas, but just not for me.
  5. Feb 16, 2013
    WOW!! How does Atlus make a remastered remake better than the original game which was already great. I completely stunned by how good this remake is, it's definitely a must own to any Vita owners. I've always been a fan of the persona series, especially starting from persona 2. Not only does this game meets the hype but somehow significantly surpasses my expectations.
    - Gameplay The
    - Gameplay The gameplay mechanics are still the same as the original but Atlus added a couple of new functions to deepen the experience. They added 2 new difficulties (Very Easy and Very Hard) and have the option to change the rules and settings of it once you beaten the game. They added more rewards for doing social links with others especially with your teammates because they give you social link skills if you hit a certain rank. And Atlus added two new social links into the game, Marie and Adachi, both of which are interesting and have an interesting conclusion. Because of social link skills and abilities Rise is a lot more useful in this one than the original. She was only used for scanning, treasure location, and enemy locations but now she can protect you from fatal blows (once every battle), heal your HP and SP, gives you stat buffs, and can charge you up. There were lots of times when I shouted in happiness when Rise saved my butt. There are so much things to say about this game but I don't have a lot of spaces to write all of it. 10/10
    - Graphics The graphics are HD remastered, the characters are much clearer and nice to looks at. The animation cut scenes gets a HD remaster and they added new cut scenes with the new events. The visuals are a lot more colourful and pretty to look at (sometimes too colourful 10/10
    -Story The story is basically the same as the original except you get more events, two new endings, and two new characters. The story was always a hit and miss for me but it's the characters that really makes love the game. I actually felt like I was the main protagonist and the friends were believable and likeable too. 9/10
    - Sound The music is always catchy and upbeat as ever! And they also added new music which in my surprised made the game even more epic and enjoyable to play. The new Teddie voice actor did a great job in sounding like the original Teddie. Now the new Chie voice actor is a pass for me... just a pass (if I had to give her a score it would be 5/10) I mean sure she sounds like an annoying brat. The voice isn't actually bad, just badly timed voice acting. Though I do prefer the old Chie since that was the one I heard first. 10/10
    - Lasting Appeal It was GREAT!!! TV listing was a great addition, new events, gardening, the extra two months of free time, the funny 8-bit boss theme, and many more. I felt completely satisfied with the remake. 10/10 Of course this game isn't perfect and it is definitely has a few bugs but the goods significantly outweighs the bad points. It's actually one of the biggest reason I bought a Vita other than Gravity Rush. I would totally recommended it to anyone who is a fan of JRPG, Character-driven story, and who loves anime.

1. Apr 18, 2013
    Persona 4 Golden is part detective novel, part teenage simulation and part asian RPG – all being important pieces which combine to create some of the most memorable and entertaining moments I’ve ever had with a JRPG.
  2. Apr 15, 2013
    Persona 4 Golden manages to make a classic JRPG even better. A definite buy for any Vita owners, and actually a good enough reason to justify the purchase of Sony's struggling handheld. [Apr 2013]
  3. Persona 4 Golden is a Tardis of a game. Initially, it seems cute and friendly and it hooks you with its murder mystery and time management focus. Once you get inside, it opens up exponentially, awing you with its scope. [March 2013, p76]