8.0

1. Oct 31, 2012
    Best game on the Vita as of right now. This is not just a Monster Hunter clone it does its own thing and is a much better game for it. Enjoyable solo, an absolute blast in multiplayer and where the game really hits its mark. Pick this game up immediately, it is a must play.
  2. Oct 30, 2012
    A fun game, monster hunter fans will LOVE this game... and its probably one of the better games on the Vita. It does feel a little boring if your playing alone, but when grouped up with some friends the game gets amazingly fun.
  3. Oct 31, 2012
    This game in my opinion is one of the best on Vita, and if you like Monster Hunter you'll probably like this game to, it even is a little funner that MH if your going solo because of the slightly faster pace, and has a little more grasp on a story than MH does and the charm of this game sets itself apart from MH in all the best ways. Even people who are not fans of the MH style should give this game a try as it brings in the feel of other action-rpg's. If you're playing solo this game does an admirably better job than the MH series. Its the multiplayer where this game truly shines, and makes use of the differences in classes, and you'll have a blast playing it. This game is a must have for the Vita library. A 9.6 Expand
  4. Oct 31, 2012
    I absolutely love this game. It is so much fun to play this game with friends that I think about playing this game when I'm not playing it thats how good it is. Like monster hunter but better, and with more charm. Excellent gameplay that is challenging in a way that makes you better without feeling frustrating. If you have a Vita go get this game!!!
  5. Nov 1, 2012
    One of the best games to play on the Vita right now and this is a blast to play with some friends. Monster Hunter fans and action-rpg fans will dig this game as it is MH and moves just enough into the other to be a nice fresh take on the genre.
  6. Nov 7, 2012
    When I picked up Ragnarok Odyssey I had hoped to be once again engrossed in the same world that I
  7. Nov 1, 2012
    Excellent MH format game that has its own charm and does some new things with combat that are effective in making this a faster paced game. Exactly what the Vita has been missing.
  8. Nov 2, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A Fun Action RPG game with all the features you would want in a monster like experience For the PS Vita. all of your game mechanics mesh together to give you a great experience for a Hack and Slash 4 player Co-op that has a great replay value with your friends. Ragnarok Odyssey is a Must have if your looking for a game for you and your buddies to take on Monsters the size of buildings Expand
  9. Feb 13, 2013
    Ragnarok Odyssey is a very pretty co-op action RPG, but it has far more up it's sleeve than just looks. This game has personality too! Unlike the Dungeon Hunter: Alliance, this hack slash adventure has heart and it has soul, and as such it's earned itself a bit of a 'cult hero' status a moniker that it's fully deserving of. Highly recommended for adventure fans. (8.5 out of 10).
  10. Nov 1, 2012
    An excellent game for mh fans, this game can stand next to mh as being good on it own with a fresh take and alot of charm. Solo is fun but can get tedious, however its awesome to play with a group, as it really has all the classes working together. Awesome Game!!!
  11. Nov 2, 2012
    This is a great Vita game. Upon investigation of the critic reviews, perhaps one with more sway in your decision making may be IGN. In IGNs review, Colin mentions valid points, which you will truly find in this game in terms of presentation. There are items on the screen that even after playing this whole time since the games release I still don't know what they are. For example, there's a green crystal icon in the bottom right of the screen which occasionally fills up and glows; I tried touching the screen over it, but nothing. It's not explained in the tutorials either. And this is just one of the examples of the game assuming you already know a lot of what's going on. Does it bother me? Not really- I'm sure I'll figure it out the more I play and it doesn't affect my gameplay. Other than that, you'll find a fun and beautiful game. I should probably at this point admit that I have never played any Monster Hunter games, except for a demo that was available a couple years ago on the PSP. In the game, you prepare in your HQ by purchasing and upgrading equipment, armor, and cards. The cards system works by adding specific stat infused cards to your armor, thus defining your character on the battlefield. Some cards have advantages, and some cards have really amazing advantages with slight disadvantages associated with them, and it's up to you to decide how you want to apply these perks to your character based on how you play. What makes this game so fun is that the quests are designed to last 5- 10 minutes, and most have a time cap of 30 minutes, creating the perfect pick-up-and-play experience. Having to sit down and invest hours of gameplay can be intimidating sometimes amidst a busy schedule, so I really appreciate the portable nature of this game! I think it's a very fun game, bound to keep me entertained for a very long time, a much needed niche on the Vita, with fun boss battles, and well scaled trophies. Collapse
  12. Nov 5, 2012
    The people comparing this game to Monster Hunter have not played Monster Hunter for very long. I have put about 25 hours into Ragnarok Odyssey (not very many) and simply the combat is not fun personally. I played Hammersmith, Sword Warrior, and a little bit of a Cleric. The combat does not feel calculated just a mash of buttons and throwing out combos will do in just about every fight. Solo play can get glitchy while fighting large groups of monsters as you can get stuck being attacked and die while unable to do anything. (Only happened playing Hammersmith) Anyways, the card system in the game is great and adds a lot of customization and depth to character builds and play style. The online play was better (a little bit of lag though) then single-player but still just was not my cup of tea.

I may be biased playing Monster Hunter for years but to each his own I guess, I wanted to like this game since it falls right in place with Monster Hunter but in my opinion it just does not compare. The crafting is not fun and tedious to use and the big boss battles just do not give me the same satisfaction that I get from Monster Hunter.
  13. Nov 8, 2012
    Ragnarok Odyssey is a bit difficult to categorize, though a lot of people seem to be trying to do just that. It's often compared to Monster Hunter, but the game really isn't much like MH apart from some aspects of it's crafting system and the way the game is organized and paced. If there is game out there that RO compares to most accurately, it would be Gods Eater Burst on the PSP, but even that comparison falls a tiny bit short. Regardless, RO is taking a beating in reviews (especially the insanely harsh IGN review in which the reviewer apparently wasn't aware the game is not some JRPG with tons of cutscenes and dialog, but is rather pretty much all action) but I think some people are being too hard on the game. Regardless, RO can be a fun, enthralling RPG if you don't take it too seriously and just take your time and learn to play it. I won't bother describing the game in detail since other reviews have done that, but I will say that one of the key things about RO is the understanding that 1.) there is no "leveling"..your character progression is based largely on how far into the game you get and how you choose to work on your equipment and 2.) any monster above a certain size cannot simply be hack-and-slashed to death; there is a lot of slow, strategic combat here. There is a lot of criticism about how the game's upgrade and crafting system is super-complex and nearly impossible to comprehend, but I don't get this AT ALL. I can't stand games with ludicrously complex crafting systems (like, say, Monster Hunter) and RO has to have one of the easiest and most hand-holding crafting systems out there. It tells you what items you need (and rare items are almost always tied to special quests and boss monsters) and pretty much the only crafting in the entire game that you need to pay attention to is items to create and improve new clothing (which you're only going to want to do on RARE occasions) and upgrading your weapon. All other crafting is totally optional and has no effect on the game, and the item drops in this game are so generous for the most part that I don't understand how anyone really has to "grind" that much. The game limits some of the rarer materials on purpose so that you only get them upon a chapter completion or by fighting the bigger enemies. As for the reviews saying that the game is boring, this also confuses me. Most games nowadays, by nature, have repetitive aspects to them. RO does ask you to revist a lot of the game levels, but as you get further into the game the enemies become harder and more varied and, eventually, you no longer be able to just run through a level to get to a goal...you will have to think about your route and fight monsters. If you don't, it will hurt you in the long run because when you are "ambushed" on levels, you'll have to deal with a lot of enemies you were unable to take care of before. Also, the combat is pretty fast and furious...I'm not sure how you would get so bored with this that it would make you stop. Overall, I found RO to be pretty fun when taken in small doses and played for what it is: a pretty straightforward hack and slash sort of thing. That said, it does have some significant flaws:
    1. The menus are really un-intuitive.
    2. The camera system is terrible because you cannot zoom out and the default camera position is WAY too close. You get used to it, but it's easily the most obvious gameplay flaw.
    3. The game tends to put you in cheap situations too often; fighting 2 or 3 very hard large monsters in extremely small spaces with other smaller creatures attacking you to....things like that.
    4. The game is not good about telling you about certain mission goals and what monsters you can/can't defeat at what point in the game. Some players might assume they have to defeat a super-powerful monster to finish the level, but in fact, in many case, you're not meant to fight those monsters until later.
    Still, I think most people going into RO understanding that it is all quest-based, very little story and primarily a monster killing sort of thing will enjoy it. It takes awhile to get used to the systems and how the combat works for each class, but once you get it, I think it makes a nice, bite-sized RPG.
  14. Dec 15, 2012
    Ragnarok Odyssey's dependency on the Monster Hunter formula may be debatable, but even if it were a completely original action RPG, it would still fall short of some basic genre standards. Ever since MH took over the portable action RPG market, franchises like Phantasy Star, White Knight Chronicles, and Lord of Arcana have been adjusting to claim some of its territory. Some manage to transcend the MH influences to become unique (and arguably superior) IPs, but RO is not one of them. Instead, it tries to gain a foothold by being the first of its type on Vita, and if you're really desperate for more team-based creature combat on your newest handheld, RO may offer some marginal enjoyment until God Eater 2 or Soul Sacrifice get released next year. Otherwise, you'll probably find RO to be a juvenile outing with colorful but flavorless presentation, boring and stiff combat, forgettable characters, and an unconvincing by-the-numbers story. Most of the user reviews here are biased due to there being no competition for RO on the Vita yet, but that doesn't mean you should waste $40 on a sub-standard game. It won't take much for the second guy in line to blow them out of the water. I honestly wanted to like the game, but even after a dozen hours, it has absolutely failed to offer a single reason to keep playing. Instead, you would be better served snagging Gods Eater Burst on PSN for half the cost, since it benefits tremendously from Vita's bi-linear filtering and ability to map camera controls to the right stick (not to mention having better story, characters, and music than any of the so-called MH clones). When all is said and done, Ragnarok Odyssey will fall into the same category as Valhalla Knights and Lord of Arcana - a seemingly attractive game that ultimately fails in execution, feeling too rushed and content-lite to capture the dedication of hardcore RPG fans. Sorry, but that's just how I feel. Now, back to GEB. Expand
  15. Nov 2, 2012
    This game boils down to an action rpg with upgrade crafting. If you've played monster hunter it's a familiar setup here. The combat is ver fluid though and fast. The ragnarok up is well tenured in the game too. All in all it's a very very good action rpg. The only things I see that could use improvement are the graphics and camera.
  16. Nov 16, 2012
    Great game with endless hours of gameplay. The missions are set up into small missions. This is great for a on the go system like the vita. Upgrading is easy enough. Don't listen to some of the reviewers that said there is only 2 maps. There is at least 10-15. Each chapter adds 1-2 new types of maps to play on. There is also a ton of weapons to upgrade and pick up as well as ones you can create from downed monster parts. The main vice with this game is that you pretty much have to join others to beat any boss. The boss doesn't scale down if you are soloing it will be just as hard solo as multiplayer. It is usually too hard to do alone. If you are planning on only playing solo you may get stuck and rage quit. Expand
  17. Nov 24, 2013
    This game is really bad. Its not real full scale RPG like Final Fantasy or Skyrim or Witcher. Its just something like Monster Hunter, with lite RPG element and without something extra, that Monster Hunter have. Pros: nice music/graphic in taverns better control/handling than Monster Hunter Cons: really bad graphic in outdoor small outdoor arenas, practicaly just 1 or 2 ways to go

If you want anime where you just kill monsters and bosses, then its for you. If you want full RPG with open world, etc. then go away. Nothing to see here. Or just try demo for free on PSN Store and try it for self.
  18. Apr 4, 2013
    If you have played phantasy star online 2 or Monster hunter, you would like this game. The real challenge in this game is completing it solo where you have to think about which is the best class and build to use for the mission. There is no level, only gear and rank. Monster don't have health bars, you have to listen and see how they react to different attacks to find their weak spot. Good music and graphics for a hand held. Expand
  19. Feb 1, 2013
    Ragnarok Odyssey brings so many great elements to the table for the Vita. Many critics like to compare it to the likes of Monster Hunter, and have thusly cast it aside as a cheap knockoff. As a gamer who has never played Monster Hunter, and who has played Ragnarok Online, I've found that Odyssey is nothing less than an all around fun hack and slash live action rpg that holds true to the main elements found in the traditional game. It's a bit of a dungeon diving set up, another rpg element that some might find to be a turn off, however the gameplay is so addicting that most gamers won't mind this at all. There are 6 classes to choose from when creating a character, and the customization varies from gender, to hair styles, colors, and even the sound of the characters voice. Characters grow stronger by completing Chapters and also by upgrading their armor with cards, which can have various effects. Cards and weapons can be found by slaying monsters in the open world maps during quests. All in all, Ragnarok Odyssey is one of the finest rpg offerings available for the Vita, and it's really a shame that the critics couldn't see beyond the fact that this game simply wasn't meant to be Monster Hunter. Expand
  20. Nov 16, 2012
    This is the closest we have to a strong action-RPG game on the Vita right now, but not a strong overall game. Its deeply rooted on repetitive MMORPG quest mechanics, with cosmetic rewards and a somewhat shallow customization system (cards and weapons). Its not bad either, because the repetition is in fact rewarding and somewhat enjoyable, specially when done in multiplayer. Great for those times you want a more mindless approach to action and destroy everything on your way. On a plus side, the boss battles are great point of the game, and the trophies have a good progression. Expand
  21. Oct 31, 2012
    Out of the barren list of titles on the vita this Action-RPG is a gem, but it is not game of the year material. Do not get me wrong it has good art direction and looting via ultra combo is always just hard to pass on; it's just the game just feels a little shallow in depth. Honesty if it were on another modern system I might not have bought it out of the swarm of RPGs that came out this year however it is a fun spin-off and a good fit for the Vita. I recommend picking it up. Expand
  22. Nov 16, 2012
    After playing this game for a couple hours i realized that RPG games just arent what they used to be. This game plays alot like a dungeon crawler without the dungeon. The maps are cheezy and repetitive. No voice overs except for the random "hiya" noises and the extremely boring town that seems alot like they werent that concerned about story or graphics but more concerned about battles which to me really weren't that good. I'd rather play Dungeon Hunter Alliance than play this game anymore and to me thats bad. Expand
  23. Nov 24, 2012
    An excellent action RPG that becomes even better if you have a friend to play online coop with. The graphics are beautiful and there are a lot of items and cards to collect. Very recommended for Phantasy Star Online fans, will make the wait for Phantasy Star Online 2 a bit easier.
  24. Mar 31, 2013
    Ragnarok Odyssey is more less a game than a mediocre experience of a button masher with slightly deliverd RPG elements and a non existent story. I would like to point out some of its flaws. First the item system. You collect items by finishing enemies, bosses, breaking crates and barrels, this is fine so far. BUT this is the ONLY WAY to get anything which becomes annoying if you have to beat the same boss for the FELT thousandth time, just to receive an OH so needed object.
    There is no shop, no other way to achieve very needed items for upgrading or refining.
    Even when you buy NEW equipment, you NEED the listed items, just to BUY the wanted equipment, this is not right and feels so dumb and awkward.

For example:
    You want to buy Z Armor, but when you go to the trader, it says: "I need item W, X and Y and of course it costs you additionally 10000 zeny."
    WHY, WHY do I have to, as a customer of that trader, get the needed materials myself??? THAT defeats the purpose!!!
    Imagine (in real life now) you buy a NEW car, and the reseller tells you:"Well in order to sell you that car, I need an engine, a gearbox, some tires, some seats and of course a frame. And this is gonna cost you 10000€. To be paid in advance!" Would you buy from there? WHAT were they thinking???

Also the idea how this item system works makes the use of the ingame currency completely OBSOLET, as you can only buy the fewest equipment without needing material.
    And to topple that, the head gear equipable seems to be just cosmetic, there is no change if I use a head gear or if I don't.
    Which brings me to the DLC available, they have no existence right, nobody playing this product and being right in their mind would BUY the DLC's!
    They add nothing, no status changes, no abilities, no values, simply nothing but a cosmetic change. Which makes soooo much difference in this game.

Next, mission variety. Honestly this is Ragnarok Odyssey's weakest part.
    As for the variety of doable mission the developers must have been in a complete mental blockade.
    There are only three different types of missions (well if you're very picky there are only two).
    Objective 1: GET X ITEM Y TIMES, means you're grinding through a level only to find the needed amount of whatever kind of item has been asked. Basically you could just rush through the entire map without fighting a single foe. Sounds very plain and dumb, well, it is.
    Objective 2: DEFEAT X ENEMIES, means you're grinding through a level only to kill everything in sight. Basically you could just eliminate the foes in question and skip everything else.
    Very amusing... not really.
    Objective 3: DEFEAT BOSS X, means you have to kill said boss which is basically objective 2. Just with one or two foes.
    Is there any reason not to have a LITTLE broader variety, like an escape mission (run away from said boss) or free prisoners from a monster camp (make sure they escape unharmed)?
    Not even the level design calls for a big variety as there are only 10 different levels with a few areas to explore.
    The absoulte same goes for the enemies, they feel generic and only differ in strength, colour and size, but that's it.
    But there is another problem with the maps, the AMBUSHES, they feel so precalculated, every time you enter a new area you KNOW there is an ambush right after the entrance or directly before the exit.
    This is just a means to stop the player from rushing through the entire level, because the devs know that this would otherwise be a very very short game.
    Well there isn't even variety in boss battles, it's always straight to the main foe, even if there are smaller enemies, I can kill them or ignore them, neither makes a difference.
    Also fighting the same boss over and over and over again isn't going to make the game more apealing. Fighting GRENDEL six times (including 2 BRONZED versions) isn't going to be more interesting, same goes for every other BOSS in game, honestly did the devs run out of BOSSES? The northern mythology offers so many different characters and would make for a good base.
    No, recycling is the key... for a BAD experience.

Next problem, the gameplay itself is completely UNBALANCED.
    I'm writing this because I have run into trouble a felt TRILLIONth time when there are more than three foes with the right combination of skills and you are playing alone. They stun you, they paralyze you, they bind you, they stagger you and send you flying the whole map. By the time your character gets up, most enemies have reached you and do the same procedure again and again and AGAIN.
    Which is aparently not very amusing, so playing in solo means for a very very very frustrating experience.
    A few people in my surrounding were playing this game which I was multiplaying with, but by now, all of them have laid of THIS, in favor of other not so HARD and BORING games.
    This is an alarming sign.
    There is nothing, literally nothing to be gained by forcing myself to play it through, not even an interesting story end.
  25. Apr 15, 2013
    Had potential, however it was squandered. The lack of story, fetch and get quests combined with lazily recycling dungeon and battle areas made this game a waste of 40$.
  26. Dec 19, 2013
    I love this type of game (monster/boss hunting type game), but this one just doesn't work for me. The combo system is an interesting feature for a game like this and could have been fun except every hit against you stops the combo, so, on the off chance you're not getting attacked for more than a few seconds, you likely won't be pulling of the longer combos. Moreover, the dodge system is where I completely lose interest in the game. It feels as though the enemy's range can hit you anywhere and that your dodge does nothing. It seems like no matter when I time the dodge, certain attacks are unavoidable (and they're usually the high damage ones).

The card system is also an interesting change from other similar games and adds a little strategy, but for the most part you'll just grind for cards to boost your damage so you can just hack away at your enemies.

For me, an action RPG where the dodge system is almost useless (lack of invulnerability and seemingly endless enemy attack range), where every hit cancels any combo you were trying for, and where every enemy has a pretty decent chance to stun you (leaving you open to attack) just isn't much fun. If you're looking for an action RPG where well timed movements and strategy can go a long way, this game might not work for you. But, if you're looking for a hack and slash RPG, this might be a great game for you.
  27. Nov 10, 2013
    As one of the early titles, Ragnarok Odyssey really utilises many of the features the vita has to offer. From a game-play perspective, RO is a solid hack and slash with some nice customization elements, nothing ground breaking, but well implemented together. For Monster Hunter enthusiasts RO will be pleasantly familiar, but without being a poorly executed clone. The story is present but not in a fully engaging manner, it is mostly text based, if you want more you can talk to the various npc's in the town area for mostly flavor comments.

Over all Ragnarok Odyssey is a solid, fun, and engaging experience. A must play.
  28. Nov 2, 2012

1. Apr 13, 2013
    Missions become repetitive. [May 2013, p.84]
  2. Never bad. [Apr 2013, p.111]
  3. Mar 12, 2013
    It’s a different style of hunting – an experience that is based on fast speed rather than methodical strategy – so if that sounds like your cup of tea, then Ragnarok Odyssey will offer hours of fun. Just don’t go in expecting a deep experience, as this is the Dynasty Warriors of the monster hunting genre.