7.8

1. Dec 15, 2012
    Ragnarok Odyssey's dependency on the Monster Hunter formula may be debatable, but even if it were a completely original action RPG, it would still fall short of some basic genre standards. Ever since MH took over the portable action RPG market, franchises like Phantasy Star, White Knight Chronicles, and Lord of Arcana have been adjusting to claim some of its territory. Some manage toRagnarok Odyssey's dependency on the Monster Hunter formula may be debatable, but even if it were a completely original action RPG, it would still fall short of some basic genre standards. Ever since MH took over the portable action RPG market, franchises like Phantasy Star, White Knight Chronicles, and Lord of Arcana have been adjusting to claim some of its territory. Some manage to transcend the MH influences to become unique (and arguably superior) IPs, but RO is not one of them. Instead, it tries to gain a foothold by being the first of its type on Vita, and if you're really desperate for more team-based creature combat on your newest handheld, RO may offer some marginal enjoyment until God Eater 2 or Soul Sacrifice get released next year. Otherwise, you'll probably find RO to be a juvenile outing with colorful but flavorless presentation, boring and stiff combat, forgettable characters, and an unconvincing by-the-numbers story. Most of the user reviews here are biased due to there being no competition for RO on the Vita yet, but that doesn't mean you should waste $40 on a sub-standard game. It won't take much for the second guy in line to blow them out of the water. I honestly wanted to like the game, but even after a dozen hours, it has absolutely failed to offer a single reason to keep playing. Instead, you would be better served snagging Gods Eater Burst on PSN for half the cost, since it benefits tremendously from Vita's bi-linear filtering and ability to map camera controls to the right stick (not to mention having better story, characters, and music than any of the so-called MH clones). When all is said and done, Ragnarok Odyssey will fall into the same category as Valhalla Knights and Lord of Arcana - a seemingly attractive game that ultimately fails in execution, feeling too rushed and content-lite to capture the dedication of hardcore RPG fans. Sorry, but that's just how I feel. Now, back to GEB. Expand
  2. Nov 5, 2012
    The people comparing this game to Monster Hunter have not played Monster Hunter for very long. I have put about 25 hours into Ragnarok Odyssey (not very many) and simply the combat is not fun personally. I played Hammersmith, Sword Warrior, and a little bit of a Cleric. The combat does not feel calculated just a mash of buttons and throwing out combos will do in just about every fight.The people comparing this game to Monster Hunter have not played Monster Hunter for very long. I have put about 25 hours into Ragnarok Odyssey (not very many) and simply the combat is not fun personally. I played Hammersmith, Sword Warrior, and a little bit of a Cleric. The combat does not feel calculated just a mash of buttons and throwing out combos will do in just about every fight. Solo play can get glitchy while fighting large groups of monsters as you can get stuck being attacked and die while unable to do anything. (Only happened playing Hammersmith) Anyways, the card system in the game is great and adds a lot of customization and depth to character builds and play style. The online play was better (a little bit of lag though) then single-player but still just was not my cup of tea.

I may be biased playing Monster Hunter for years but to each his own I guess, I wanted to like this game since it falls right in place with Monster Hunter but in my opinion it just does not compare. The crafting is not fun and tedious to use and the big boss battles just do not give me the same satisfaction that I get from Monster Hunter.
  3. Aug 25, 2015
    The combat is ok but there's very little plot so your just going around slaughtering monsters for no reason and there's no character building: No exp points, no stats just equipment upgrades which is painfully boring to me.
  4. Nov 8, 2012
    Ragnarok Odyssey is a bit difficult to categorize, though a lot of people seem to be trying to do just that. It's often compared to Monster Hunter, but the game really isn't much like MH apart from some aspects of it's crafting system and the way the game is organized and paced. If there is game out there that RO compares to most accurately, it would be Gods Eater Burst on the PSP, butRagnarok Odyssey is a bit difficult to categorize, though a lot of people seem to be trying to do just that. It's often compared to Monster Hunter, but the game really isn't much like MH apart from some aspects of it's crafting system and the way the game is organized and paced. If there is game out there that RO compares to most accurately, it would be Gods Eater Burst on the PSP, but even that comparison falls a tiny bit short. Regardless, RO is taking a beating in reviews (especially the insanely harsh IGN review in which the reviewer apparently wasn't aware the game is not some JRPG with tons of cutscenes and dialog, but is rather pretty much all action) but I think some people are being too hard on the game. Regardless, RO can be a fun, enthralling RPG if you don't take it too seriously and just take your time and learn to play it. I won't bother describing the game in detail since other reviews have done that, but I will say that one of the key things about RO is the understanding that 1.) there is no "leveling"..your character progression is based largely on how far into the game you get and how you choose to work on your equipment and 2.) any monster above a certain size cannot simply be hack-and-slashed to death; there is a lot of slow, strategic combat here. There is a lot of criticism about how the game's upgrade and crafting system is super-complex and nearly impossible to comprehend, but I don't get this AT ALL. I can't stand games with ludicrously complex crafting systems (like, say, Monster Hunter) and RO has to have one of the easiest and most hand-holding crafting systems out there. It tells you what items you need (and rare items are almost always tied to special quests and boss monsters) and pretty much the only crafting in the entire game that you need to pay attention to is items to create and improve new clothing (which you're only going to want to do on RARE occasions) and upgrading your weapon. All other crafting is totally optional and has no effect on the game, and the item drops in this game are so generous for the most part that I don't understand how anyone really has to "grind" that much. The game limits some of the rarer materials on purpose so that you only get them upon a chapter completion or by fighting the bigger enemies. As for the reviews saying that the game is boring, this also confuses me. Most games nowadays, by nature, have repetitive aspects to them. RO does ask you to revist a lot of the game levels, but as you get further into the game the enemies become harder and more varied and, eventually, you no longer be able to just run through a level to get to a goal...you will have to think about your route and fight monsters. If you don't, it will hurt you in the long run because when you are "ambushed" on levels, you'll have to deal with a lot of enemies you were unable to take care of before. Also, the combat is pretty fast and furious...I'm not sure how you would get so bored with this that it would make you stop. Overall, I found RO to be pretty fun when taken in small doses and played for what it is: a pretty straightforward hack and slash sort of thing. That said, it does have some significant flaws:
    1. The menus are really un-intuitive.
    2. The camera system is terrible because you cannot zoom out and the default camera position is WAY too close. You get used to it, but it's easily the most obvious gameplay flaw.
    3. The game tends to put you in cheap situations too often; fighting 2 or 3 very hard large monsters in extremely small spaces with other smaller creatures attacking you to....things like that.
    4. The game is not good about telling you about certain mission goals and what monsters you can/can't defeat at what point in the game. Some players might assume they have to defeat a super-powerful monster to finish the level, but in fact, in many case, you're not meant to fight those monsters until later.
    Still, I think most people going into RO understanding that it is all quest-based, very little story and primarily a monster killing sort of thing will enjoy it. It takes awhile to get used to the systems and how the combat works for each class, but once you get it, I think it makes a nice, bite-sized RPG.

1. Games Master UK
    Apr 13, 2013
    Missions become repetitive. [May 2013, p.84]
  2. Playstation Official Magazine UK
    Mar 22, 2013
    Never bad. [Apr 2013, p.111]
  3. Mar 12, 2013
    It’s a different style of hunting – an experience that is based on fast speed rather than methodical strategy – so if that sounds like your cup of tea, then Ragnarok Odyssey will offer hours of fun. Just don’t go in expecting a deep experience, as this is the Dynasty Warriors of the monster hunting genre.