6.2

1. Jun 22, 2012
    I gave Shinobido 2 a 6. I did juggle with the idea of giving a 7 score, but I believe the game doesn't offer enough variety to warrant a higher score. My initial playthrough has lasted around 8 hours, a fair length - and the game does dole out an array of optional character skins and costumes to make further plathroughs more enjoyable.
    The reason why Shinobido 2 didn't score higher for
    me, is because it suffers from a fairly flat execution of it's story, the cutscenes, while visually at a fairly nice standard, with a nice attention to detail, generally don't pack much of a visual punch. The characters themselves are pretty one dimensional, with our hero, Zen, being almost irritatingly stubborn. It's clear this is a direct sequel to the first game, so the story is harder to grasp to newcomers to the series like myself. It also makes the intentions of the villain fairly obscured because it relates directly to events that happened in the previous game.
    It simply comes across as being half baked, the creators could have done so much more with such a combination of unusual characters, but it feels as though we gleam most of the characteristics of these people from the ending montage!
    Another conflicting aspect of the game is the overall presentation, beautiful music dampened by basic sound effects, pretty locations plagued with repetition, nice character models with basic animation.
    The missions themselves offer various styles, including kidnapping, sabotage, retrieving documents, bodyguard work, annihilation, hunting and good old assassination - this is where the game works it's magic. Going back to the most basic forms of stealth gameplay, the game offers the most enjoyment - suffering only when we're forced to do face-to-face combat because the janky, unyielding nature of the gameplay can frustrate.
    Another aspect of the game that regrettably under-delivers is the daimyo, or warlord association. By carrying out missions from certain daimyo you can improve your reputation with them, unlocking certain gifts and rarer missions. Basically you can aid certain daimyo to win the war, by favouring one over another you can sway the outcome of the war however you like. The outcome itself doesn't appear to affect the story - however I did unlock a unique cutscene at the end of the game along with my A ranking *wink wink* So again, while it does fall short of what it could have been, it does offer replay value should you choose to back the other daimyo (three to choose from) in future playthroughs
    Shinobido 2 is a game of potential, and there is a lot of value in it should you choose to seek it, just don't expect to be blown away in your playthrough, with a steep curve to attune yourself with the controls, and the gameplay in general, many people will be put off straight away. After a few hours though I did very much enjoy the good old Tenchu nature of the game, and I will continue to jump in every now and then to back those other daimyo, and perhaps play as a bear!
  2. Apr 11, 2012
    It is sooo obvious which publishers are paying the critics and who aren't. How could anyone score MW3 higher than shinibido 2? This game is deep and highly enjoyable, totally disregard the critics and go with user reviews needless to say.
  3. May 7, 2012
    The controls are the worst I've ever seen. The graphics are okay I guess and the storyline is even more **** Best not spend your hard earned money on this title ;).
  4. Apr 7, 2012
    Best current game on the vita, ignore the critics. if you like any of the categories, stealth/ninja/swordplay/tactics you will like this game. it does what it sets out to do VERY very well. i was dubious at first as nothing seemed right with the game to be honest, which is never a good start however for reasons I can only assume are due to the hidden quality's of game play i kept coming back to it... and continue to do so. if you can get past the dodgy sounds, textures and movement the game has so much more to offer than any other games ive played on the vita. missions are actually pretty diverse unlike unit 13's missions. essentially your doing the same things but what game doesn't do that? missions vary from assassinations, reckon, assault, guard, kidnaps, stealth, burglary plus more and they all play well. the game system of accepting missions, making choices, levelling up your character and alchemy is also very nice. this is one of the few games on the vita thus far i am actually interested in and i bought it on a total whim.... best decision in a long time, if graphics don't mean EVERYTHING to you (not saying that's a bad thing) then check this game out!! (other games i have are uncharted, reality fighters, rayman, unit 13, dynasty wariors wipeout and motorstorm rc.... surprisingly shinobido is my favorite although i can understand why a lot of people don't give it 10 mins) Expand
  5. Mar 18, 2012
    As a newcomer to the Shinobido games, I am quite pleased. Although I have a list of complaints, I find the game complex enough to provide hours of entertainment. The game features a strategic layer where you accept missions that affect your relationship between the warring daimyos. This layer provides motivation to take on missions. The missions themselves tend to focus on stealth with some situations where you are forced into combat. The combat itself is tough. It is not tough because the fights are tough, it is tough because the controls are non-intuitive and you need to constantly fight the camera, which has a mind of its own. Fortunately, you can hold down L to keep the camera focused on your enemy, in a soft sort of way. The pros: The story and the game play structure. The stealth action and stealth moves. The cons: The tough-to-learn combat controls, the non-intelligent auto-camera, some control oddities, and the repetitive nature of the missions. Expand
  6. Feb 21, 2012
    I think it's just "ok". The game trailers did a good job marketing it, but I found I wasn't woohoo'ing about it after about a minute of game play. I should have saved my pennies for something else.
  7. Mar 11, 2012
    The game looks and feels 10 years old. In terms of voiceacting, story, etc. the game doesn't shine. However, I like the menu layouts, music (even though it's somewhat repetitive) and the stealth kills. It's a great stealth action game with lots of decisions and influences you can have, but it's also reptitive and that can turn some people off. Overall it's good but not great.
  8. May 16, 2012
    The graphics are nowhere near as good as the Vita can produce, not to mention that the controls are shaky. The environments get repetitive, but it's still god fun for a while.
  9. Nov 19, 2012
    The game is definitely a Ninja game. You can run on walls, grapple to ledges, and execute bad guys.
    This is my favorite game for the Vita so far, and really the only reason I even own a Vita.
    Tons of unlockables, tons of quests, different factions to side with, and graphics that are even better than some Triple A title PS3 games.
    The game has great pacing, and you can choose to use
    stealth or run head on at enemies depending on your playstyle. Both options are very fun.
    My only complaints are that the game does get repetitive. But it doesn't bother me a bit.
  10. May 12, 2014
    I think it is very odd and sad that no one in the reviews has made the connection that this game is an absolute LOVE LETTER to the original Tenchu Stealth Assassins on PSX. The character even looks and moves just like Rikimaru, has a grappling hook that works the same and you will feel like a ninja I guarantee. I pulled off the same amazing kills I could in TSA 1-3.

Playing this is like
    playing a next gen homage to the game that STARTED the stealth ninja game, and this game does a phenomenal job recreating and totally surpassing Tenchu in every way. The level you play in the demo is even called 'Assassinate the Merchant'!! The same first mission from Tenchu!!

It adds in excellent wall runs, wall jumps and better swordplay along with a much more responsive EVERYTHING. It has an awesome cinematic kill option that is fun to sprinkle into your gameplay. Sure the AI is not a genius but it delivers on something that I've been wanting for a VERY long time. Portable Tenchu gameplay. BRAVO.

Do NOT listen to the noob reviews, and if you loved Tenchu 1-3 this game is an absolute MUST own next gen upgraded version, with nostalgia dripping around every corner. Thanks for making this game Namco, and ninja gamers ENJOY!!

1. Apr 12, 2012
    This one's a dud. [May 2012, p.83]
  2. When a well-planned incursion comes to fruition, the game is rewarding; the rest of the time, it's plagued with camera weirdness, clipping errors and a clunky combat system. [April 2012, p75]
  3. Apr 8, 2012
    Shinobido 2 is a game with a few nice ideas. For instance: it has a decent pace for a stealth game with open levels that offer multiple paths. But before you'll be able to see the good that it has to offer, you'll most likely be scared off by the other awful aspects it has, like atrocious graphics, too many menus and load screens, a boring and cliché-filled story and constant repetition in gameplay.