7.3

1. Dec 16, 2013
    First things first: I'm very happy to have a Roguelike game on Vita with all the perks of the platform: portable, trophy support and countless hours of gameplay at my disposal. That alone is great, and the game makes for a fine addition to the Vita Library.

The story is funny and the characters are great. The cartoonish style is also very cool, so I'm hooked on that front. Sometimes

Sometimes I wish the cutscenes where shorter, specially at the very beginning when I was anxious to dig into the meat of the gameplay without missing any important part of the plot. But overall its fine.

I'm not 100% on the gameplay department, though.

Being a fan of deep Roguelike games like Dungeons of Dredmor, I'm finding it a bit too simplistic. Fighting is pretty easy and you don't have a lot of depth to it (the abilities at your disposal are limited, so you're pretty much finding a good position and melee attacking the foes until they are finished).

You can also trow some itens at the enemies, but this strategy is quite inefficient. The skills are overpowered, so they are usually very limited. For me, that is the biggest missed opportunity. I'd rather have more variety with some kind of cool down to the skills, so I could use them more often (granted, they'd be less powerful).

This simplicity is more evident when you level up. There is no big decisions to be made, your stats just get better as you character grow stronger.

On a positive note, there is one companion that you have to watch (his health don't regenerate, so you need to feed it with loot in order to level him up and heal). Its an interesting concept that adds a layer of complexity to the exploration. Since you could use the loot to upgrade your weapons, it makes for some interesting choices along the way.

I'm about 12 hours in, and I'm still hoping that the gameplay will improve. If it does, I'll gladly ad another point to my review.

Once again, I'm happy with the game overall. Vita seems to be the perfect platform for roguelikes. For the asking price, though, I was expecting something deeper than what we got.

I'd give it a 7,5 ou of 10. A good, but not great roguelike.
  2. Jan 9, 2014
    + Visuals and sound that support the quirkiness of the game
    + Light-hearted story with a lot of humor
    + Dynamic difficulty (but not too difficult) + Customizable outfits for Pupuru + A decent amount of bonus content + Generally a fun experience ~ Simple story ~ Level 1 reset when you leave any dungeon at any time (a bit strange, but not problematic) - Not much is actually
    + Visuals and sound that support the quirkiness of the game
    + Light-hearted story with a lot of humor
    + Dynamic difficulty (but not too difficult)
    + Customizable outfits for Pupuru
    + A decent amount of bonus content
    + Generally a fun experience

~ Simple story

- Not much is actually explained about battle mechanics or item effects beyond the absolute basics
    - Limited to two characters for dungeon-crawling
    - It can be very tedious to need to go through a dungeon a second time
    - Menus are not streamlined or efficient
    - Niche demographic
    - Liberal translations (this one’s nit-picking)
    - Framerate drops are not unusual when a lot is happening during a fight

Overall, it's a fun game with some problems, but still worth playing.

The Garbage Man Reviews
  3. Dec 10, 2013
    "Pupuru is 10/10 on moe scale" Ovoon's moe reviews
    .........................................................................................................
  4. May 31, 2014
    It's lighthearted enjoyable Rougelike turn based RPG which is very easy. The joy is in upgrading all your equipment. There are many in the game and there's a trophy to upgrade them all to the highest level. It's very easy to upgrade though, when you are at the right place. The graphics are what I like too. It's one of the few games I replied and aim to plat. The drawback of the game isIt's lighthearted enjoyable Rougelike turn based RPG which is very easy. The joy is in upgrading all your equipment. There are many in the game and there's a trophy to upgrade them all to the highest level. It's very easy to upgrade though, when you are at the right place. The graphics are what I like too. It's one of the few games I replied and aim to plat. The drawback of the game is it's too easy and the monsters are almost no change, just that several types, with color changes. So if you play it nonstop, it will feel a little boring. However I always wanted to pick it up again the second day. It's addictive. I recommend the game to those who play to enjoy, to play to challenge. Expand
  5. Jan 3, 2016
    It's OK game, very simple in many ways but also has some interesting aspects. However story/dialogue is pretty silly and a bit too childish in not any good way for my taste but maybe it works better for younger audience who are in anime and such, story is not something to take very seriously anyway though.
  6. Aug 28, 2016
    It glitches and lags very often, and it's pretty damn easy. The only difficulty stems from your permanent partner, Kuu. It's pretty good beside that, but I'd only really recommend it to people who have an itch for rougelikes they need to scratch.
  7. Oct 11, 2015
    I loved this game, honestly. I've played through it multiple times now, and I'm on another play-through. This game is a cross between Pokemon Mystery Dungeon and a quest for really good food. Add in cute girls, a like-able cast, a WONDERFUL lot of voice actors, and you get this game. I would suggest this to anyone. If you like Mystery Dungeon, I'd suggest this one.
  8. Jul 28, 2016
    I had a really mixed time with this game. For the most part it was good. As a rogue like game it was pretty entertaining and the cut scenes were pretty good also. Several problems stand out though. The first is that the crafting system in game isn't very well explained. The second is that although you can exit a dungeon, there is little reason to. You can't resume from your previous spotI had a really mixed time with this game. For the most part it was good. As a rogue like game it was pretty entertaining and the cut scenes were pretty good also. Several problems stand out though. The first is that the crafting system in game isn't very well explained. The second is that although you can exit a dungeon, there is little reason to. You can't resume from your previous spot like the Diablo games and have to start all over again. Going back to town to resupply is likewise pointless since the only shop has very little to sell.

Most of the "difficulty" of the game is really just petty to be honest. The game throws monster abilities and traps at you to try and eradicate the items you've managed to acquire or hit you with generally short lived status effects. Even still this is generally not enough. I can count the number of times I thought I might die on one hand. There really just isn't much difficulty there unless the game manages to screw you over somehow. You companion during this game, Kuu, can level up when you feed him enough and will occasionally gain a new skill. But he only has four skill slots and has to overwrite one of them when he gains a new one and all slots are full.

To top it all off. There is a sporadic bug in the game which makes it crash on occasion. Since this is a rogue style game the developers decided to prevent you making permanent saves in the middle of the dungeon. Instead it makes a temporary save which it deletes when you resume. So if the game crashes mid dungeon you lose everything you gained in the entire dungeon run. This is annoying at the best of times, but in my game it decided to crash when I reached level 254 of the final dungeon - which has 256 floors. Which means if I want to see the ending I have to spend another day and a half slogging through the dungeon again and hope it doesn't decide to crash. That is some really abysmal design work on the part of the developers in not allowing any way to recover and in leaving the bug in to start with.

1. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Sep 19, 2014
    One for the masochists out there. Rewardingly difficult until an unfair bug kills you, then you'll want to throw your Vita. [October 2014, p75]
  2. Jul 6, 2014
    I doubt I will look back on Sorcery Saga: Curse Of The Great Curry God fondly, if I remember it at all. If you cornered me and forced me to give it a compliment, the best I could come up with is that it is mercifully short.
  3. Games Master UK